Speaker 1: Strap on the boots and scrape up the knuckles ahead.
Speaker 2: He got jacked.
Speaker 3: This is the Big Red Radio presented by santan Ford in Gilbert.
Speaker 4: Harry's Gonna score touchdown Slim to the ground by Buddha Baker Like a torpedo. He came flying into the back of del.
Speaker 3: The Rage is brought to you by santan Ford in Gilbert. Are you santan Ford State Farm? Talk to an agent today at eight hundred State Farm. Hand by Arizona Cardinals Podcasts. Visit Hazycardinals dot Com, Slash Podcasts.
Speaker 2: Red Sad, Rising Up.
Speaker 5: Jump your Rising Vision, Flurry Rage taking it over.
Speaker 2: Here's Paul Calvis.
Speaker 5: I'm ready. I'm one hundred percent ready. I'm telling you I'm ready.
Speaker 2: And Ron Wilfley, if it doesn't get any better than that, I leash the Fiord.
Speaker 5: We might be the original Thursday Night football, But tis the time of the season, Ron Wolfley, where we're not the only game in town, the only football on air. Let there be NFL action tonight, the Hall of Fame game. We've been there and done that Canton, Ohio and early August, have we not? In fact, last time we were in canad Ohio for the Hall of Fame game. I'm gonna name drop here. Are you ready for this? Ron Wolfe? No, I'm not balling your nemesis from your entire playing career. Oh, I don't know. Arguably the greatest defensive player ever for the New York Giants.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 5: It was the second half and somebody was kicking into the kicking net on the Cardinals sideline and I'm like, well, who's that because it's definitely not one of the Cardinals kickers. And I turn around and it's Lt. LT. Just he had a cigar in one and and he had a beverage in the other, and he was decided to work on his place kicking in the Cardinals net on the sideline of the Hall of Fame games.
Speaker 2: I can't even believe that.
Speaker 1: But LT does what LT does on a football field, and you let him do it, Balie.
Speaker 5: Nobody's telling him otherwise on a gridiron, That's for sure. It's a big red rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert We are santan Ford, Paul Kelbc, Ron wolf Lee soon to be joined by Will Hernandez. I don't see a lot of people telling Will Hernandez what to do either, lest they risk their well being put into what PAULI. Honestly, once again, I just want to say this. I've said this before and you know this, buddy. If you go back and you look at the nine games that Will Hernandez played last year, I'm telling you, PAULI, I do believe over the course of those nine games he was the most consistent offensive lineman the Arizona Cardinals had before he got hurt. I'm bullish, I'm Will Hernandez. I love his physicality, I love the mentality that he has. I love him at right guard. Right now, I'm expecting big things from Will Hernandez. Let's get right into it. Second padded practice today here at Cardinals camp right powered by Cox and it was a line D line drills. Yes, Will Hernandez fared very well. In fact, there was one titanic match up him against Lecky to that's about seven hundred pounds of dude, right there are those two going at it.
Speaker 2: And that's a lot of beefy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was a heavyweight tilt right there. But it's his new right tackle. It's Paris Johnson Junior. It was Paris Johnson Junior early his first rep O Line D line drills Kidding School by Dennis Garden.
Speaker 2: I saw that Polly with the spin move.
Speaker 5: And then you could tell he wasn't happy. And so then midway through he took care of a couple of guys, but he still had his eye on forty five. He wanted Dennis Gardeck again. He wanted the rematch. Okay, I missed that Polly, and they got the rematch. It was the second last rep of O line D line and Paris Johnson Junior boom. He stoned him. He just tied him up and then and then sort of finished him at the end, sort of went Will Hernandez because Will has a tendency to finish some of those blocks and for a guy down to the ground, to the very end, and then Garda got up and they wapped it up and the coaches came in and boomed, that was a great wrap to Olne D line.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, that is that's the way it ought to be. PAULI right there, honestly, And if Paris Johnson did not respond in that way, because I saw him, I saw him get beat on that spin move and it was it was a great move by Dennis Gardik. That would have been as sack right there, or really what if that's how quickly Dennis Gardak the Barbarian, that's how quickly he got that inside right there. But Paris Johnson Jr. I'd like to see that, Paul. That shows me a little something right there. He's got a little stin coming out of the side of his neck. That's what you got to have if you want to play this game.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 5: And look the right side of the old line I think is decided. It's Will Hernandez is Paris Johnson Jr. Who's starting a center right now. It's the older role hole. But Pat Elfline, who has forty career starts the center, is slowly making his way up the depth chart, running second team center today, so we'll see where that's tracking. John Gaines, the fourth round rookie of UCLA, who was second team center, is now running second team guard.
Speaker 2: I saw that, PAULI.
Speaker 1: That was really interesting right there to me because now all of a sudden they moved him behind Will Hernandez, did they not. That's that's great for John gains It really is, because I think he'll have the opportunity to develop. He's not going to compete with Will Hernandez for the starting position. That's I think something that is done strategically by JG and maybe even many Austin Ford in on that to move them over and let those two centers Froholt and lf Line let them go at it.
Speaker 5: Key Trel Clark had a good practice. We'll get into cornerback here a little bit later in this edition of the Big Red Rage presented by Santan Ford in Gilbert. But he had a pass breakup on the final play of team drills that resulted in an interception by Juju Hughes. Okay, so there was that, and then there was Greg Dortch. Just like last year in camp. Derch is consistent. He has a high motor. He's making plays. He's a difference maker. He had a great diving catch out of bounds from Clayton Tune, which brings us to the rookie quarterback because the hype train is officially leaving the station, Clayton Tune getting more first team reps today. At times. There was Honathan Gannon meeting the media before practice, asked about Clayton Tune and look, he qualified it by saying he's got a lot to learn every single day. He's got to learn a lot. But then he also went on to say about Claytonton, the fifth round rookie quarterback out of Houston, that he's brutally honest with himself when he makes a mistake, he has no problems citing it. Try very important.
Speaker 1: He heard me talk about that right there. Tell the truth, Always tell the truth about yourself.
Speaker 5: Kannon San also about Clayton Tune. I like that he can play fast, he has command of the huddle. You see the arm talent. So those are all the quotes that got sent out, okay, but on the front and back end, he also said he's still got a long way to go.
Speaker 1: He still got a long way to go, right there, Pauly, honestly, listen, I think JG's doing the right thing. I'm sure he's trying to give a little sugar to Clayton Tune right there, give him a little confidence maybe BALI right, bring him along, of course you want to do that.
Speaker 2: I just don't.
Speaker 1: I don't see any scenario right now where Clayton Tune beats out Colt MCA without even playing in a preseason game. I just don't see that being possible at all.
Speaker 5: That's just me and we talked about it with Drew stan this morning on the Red Sea Report. Wolf. Even if Clayton Tune goes out and has a perfect passer rating in three preseason games, it's nothing like what he'll face in Week one against Washington. He's not gonna see anything in August that Ron Rivere is gonna throw at him. Week one at Washington, He's not gonna see anyone along the lines of Doron Payne and Jonathan Allen and Montes Sweat and Chase Young. Yes, so Colt McCoy in his fourteenth season, I agree with you. There's no scenario under which unless unless somehow you know, Colt has a drop off at age thirty seven.
Speaker 1: PAULI, listen once again there. What I said is, there's no way Clayton Tune is going to start before Colt McCoy before a preseason game is played. That's what I meant right there. There's no way you've got to throw McCay. I mean, not cold McCoy, Clayton Tune. You got to throw him, PAULI, out into the silks when the preseason games are going and you got to see how he's going to do. You got to find out how he's going to play when the lights are on and the bullets metaphorically speaking, are real. There's no way I see him starting until they play preseason games, and who knows. Hey, listen, if Clayton Tune goes out there and lights it up, if he goes out there and plays incredibly well in all three preseason games, the only thing I would say is it may shorten the pull. If you will shorten the leash on Colt McCoy if in fact they're losing games in September.
Speaker 5: And here's the other thing we don't know on Colt McCoy. A year ago, when Kyler Murray is dealing with the wrist and then COVID Colt got a lot of action norton him a number of throws and then they had to shut him down. So I think they're being ultra careful with a cold McCoy this time around, which results in Clayton Tune getting extra reps with the first team. At least that's one theory we'll see. You also see Kyler Murray out here talking with Jonathan Gannon a lot, and they'll be behind the defense. Gannon watching everything. Kyler Murray standing next to his new head coach, and JG was asked today about those conversations.
Speaker 6: He's kind of a ball junkie, you know what I mean, and he wants to understand the why, why is ralis doing that? You know, why is Marco playing it that way? Why is this going on? You know? I try to educate him on those things. He wants to know defense, you know what I mean, Good quarterbacks do so. And he's very intelligent. You can talk with him to a level of like he's a coach, you know what I mean, because he's smart and he understands. And it's also for me really good for me to hear his perspective.
Speaker 5: Interesting JG talking about Nick Rowlis, a defensive coordinator as the head coach, and QB one Kyler Murray talking ball watching the team drills.
Speaker 1: I absolutely love that right there, because that's exactly what Kyler needs. A head coach who totally understands defensive football to actually take Kyler Murray through the process of what is being called, the plays that they're running, the schemes that they're running, and why they're running, the why behind it all. This is part of the next step for Kyler Murray poly You hear me talking about this all the time, that he's got to evolve his game. He's got to evolve his game going forward, especially from under center. Why are defenses doing this? What's the weakness of this defense? I think JG wants to talk to Kyler Murray through these plays to see how he's processing these plays. Is he seeing what he should be seeing standing there with JG.
Speaker 5: Very interesting to me because look, for everything that Kyler has done in his career, he never had a chance to just sort of soak it in from the sideline, you know, kind of what can I learn through osmosis? What can I learn from a veteran quarterback that he never really had as a rookie. He was the franchise quarterback, the starting quarterback from the moment he was drafted. So is this an ideal scenario where he's coming back from a knee injury. Obviously not, But this is the one aspect of it that I think can be beneficial, especially if he's watching cold McCoy run an offense that guess what Cole McCoy has run before, David Blau has run before. Yes, Kyler Murray to our knowledge, has never run anything quite like this scheme.
Speaker 1: There's no doubt Bully once again a lot of the shotgun and a lot of the spread offense at Kyler Murray is very, very familiar with the decisions are made. You're reading one guy. Basically, you're reading the defense nonetheless, but you're reading one guy in a gross simplification of the truth. And whatever that guy does, he makes up your decision for you. This is a completely different offense this part of it. They're still going to run the spread, They're still going to have elements of the shotgun of course in Pistol Pauali. They're still going to do it all. But now Kyler also has to read coverage. And that's the difference. When you put them under center and you use play action, he's gonna have to read.
Speaker 5: By the way, is the DNA of the Drew Petsing scheme on display right now in the Hall of Fame game the Cleveland Browns, his former team, and what they're running. Do you think what we're seeing tonight we're apt to see next Friday night when the Cardinals debut in the preseason against Denver.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a great question right there. I do believe Pauali. Right now, if you were to watch this game, if you were to break it down right now, you would see an awful lot of the schemes that Drew Pettsing and the Arizona Cardinals are going to be running against the Denver Broncos on August eleven. Right here, you're seeing it right now. There's a lot of twelve personnel, two tight ends right one back, two tight ends, even thirteen personnel. I've seen that already. Right now. They're mixing up the tackle zone where you're attacking the line of scrimmage. Of course, they're also running some power plays. They do an awful lot of it. And once again, PAULI, that's really going to be important for the Cardinals to do that. It's gonna be important because you got to get this stuff on tape, Paul, you gotta get this on tape because then you can teach everybody. That's when you really learn. When the silks are on and you're out there and you're playing football.
Speaker 2: And it's live, it's full going.
Speaker 1: You got the mouthguard in, you can break that tape down, man, and just because one guy makes a mistake, he's gonna be able to teach a lot of other guys not to make the same mistake. They need tape, that's what they need. And that's why you need your You might not be playing your starters, but you need your schemes to be on display for everybody so you can teach off of it.
Speaker 5: Preseason opener Arizona Cardinals hosting Denver right here at State Farm Stadium next Friday, August eleventh. Right, And it's a perivial question, right, how much is too much to show in the preseason? How much do you need? You know? But remember twenty nineteen Cardinals didn't get nearly enough action in the preseason and show that debut against the Lion back with more on the Big Red Rage presented by Santan Ford in Gilbert.
Speaker 4: Back to Mascos Dalton. On first down, Fuyers over the middle and the ball is tipped.
Speaker 5: Into the air and picked off the thirty yard line.
Speaker 4: Running left and the money Marco Wilson to the ted the high steps he then he.
Speaker 5: Doesn't flip into the ENDZM.
Speaker 1: The doc cown Marco.
Speaker 5: Wilson in a pick six.
Speaker 4: Pavin Cardinals take a lane twenty to fourteen.
Speaker 1: Boy, did you see Marco Wilson elevate on that you tad touchdown flip.
Speaker 4: What was kind of money is they're showing the camera angle of Andy Dalton being upset and in the background you can see Wilson will launch it into the air like it's just part of the background.
Speaker 5: It looks quite humorous. All I have to do is google it up. I just did front flip. Pick six was insane Marco Wilson. And then there's all the memes. I mean, you talk about a memorable moment from lam season, that meme of Andy Dalton in the foreground lamenting the pick sixty just threw at the very moment that Marco Wilson is airborne in the background doing a flip into the end zone. Talk about sticking the landing and punctuating that big play. Marco Wilson with a ridiculous athleticism on display last year on Thursday Night against the Saints.
Speaker 1: Pauly, Honestly, that might be the most athletic thing I've ever seen on a football field. Seriously, I've seen a lot of great athletes. I've witnessed it myself. I've seen a lot of games. Of course, I've seen a lot of great athletes do some great things. That was one of the most athletic athletic moves I've ever seen. The way he jumped at first and then flipped at the end. It was unbelievable how he did and the vertical on that the elevation incredible.
Speaker 5: And then if you YouTube up what he did as a youngster as a teenager, Oh yeah, right, it really is insane.
Speaker 2: Anybody call that park what they call it right there? Park? Okay, I know you were big in the park, Paul.
Speaker 5: All I know is from the sideline from ground level, You're like, okay, what is he doing? Where is he going? He took off at about the seven yard line. It was like Michael Jordan taking off from the free throw line in the slam duncan.
Speaker 2: Flip.
Speaker 5: It's almost like he vaulted and then figured out mill or what I'm gonna do. So there you go. That's Marco Wilson, who at the time was cornerback three. He's now cornerback one by our Murphy Leftia free agency. Antonio Hamilton, who won the number two corner job out of camp last year and then got it back by the end of the season. Well, guess what he is now competing to be the starting corner opposite Marco Wilson, who has the insane athleticism. We've already established that here's the defensive corner and Nick rollis on a chat he had recently with cornerback one Marco Wilson.
Speaker 7: He know, I've talked to Marco specifically and told him, like, you have all the ability to be a number one corner in this league, and that's what I expect. But you know, I'm going to hold you accountable and try to get you better every day. Coach Smith, he's going to do the same thing. JG's going to do the same thing.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 7: JJ's background is coaching those dvs and he's responded great to it.
Speaker 5: How does he take that next step Wolf, and how vital is it to this team, this defense that he plays like a number one cornerback.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I think it's really really important. I think when you talk about the cornerback room, you've got to start there.
Speaker 2: It really is.
Speaker 1: I know that we have been talking awful lot about cornerback number two and cornerback number three and who who it might be and who's going to be the starter opposite of Marco Wilson. Marco Wilson is somebody can't just gloss over because he's got so much raw talent right now, he's got to take that next step forward. He's got to do that, Pauli. Nobody else can do it for him. Marco Wilson has got to be that guy who embraces the challenge of truly becoming a cornerback one, a CB one, because he's got that kind of ability, He's got that kind of raw talent and athleticism. He's got that. Now he's got to go out and pursue it. Paully, it's got to matter to him too, And that's where you got to start Marco Wilson in his development before he can talk about anybody else.
Speaker 5: It's a game of matchup. How many times do we hear that? And so you're going Week one against Washington Terry McLaurin, Pro Bowl receiver. What are you gonna do if you're Nick Rolis a defensive coordinator. Sure, I guess you can throw a zone. You have some help over top with the safety. Yeah, I guess you can scheme around it. But ideally you'd love to throw your number one corner on an island out against the other team's number one receiver. Do the Cardinals have that ability? Do they have that player? Is he really a cornerback two who's just going to be put in position of a number one corner?
Speaker 1: You know what exactly do they have in Marco Wilson? Yeah, exactly. And even the old coaching staff would tell you. Remember Paulli, they were trying to poke him a little bit, jab him a little bit in last training camp as a matter of fact, to get him to respond. They wanted to see him get better. Hopefully EJG. And Nick Rolis they're not going to have to do that at all. He's going to be the guy responsible for getting better. But it all starts with Marco Wilson after that, PAULI, it's going to be really interesting to me to see what they do. You know, Key Trell Clark is getting an awful lot of reps. You talk about this all the time. Christian Matthew is getting a lot of reps as well. It's going to be really interesting. Antonio Hamilton, how is he going to factor in.
Speaker 2: To this cornerback room and playing time as well.
Speaker 1: It's one of the positions I look at and I think of Jonathan Gannon immediately because he was talking about how competitive this training camp was going to be. He was going to open it up. He wants people to know there are no jobs here that are locked up. We're in a prove it game. It's a meritocracy, the NFL one of the biggest meritocracy. He's on the planet. You've got to go prove your worth. You've got to go prove that you own that job. And I love that mentality. We're showing up the most, maybe the corner room.
Speaker 5: And I tell you, if there's one position group where Jonathan Gannon has an expert opinion, it's corner. That's his position of specialty, going back ten years as an assistant coach, as a position coach, it's corner. You see him all the time during these practices.
Speaker 8: Wolf.
Speaker 5: We witness it. He's thirty yards behind the line of scrimmage looking at everything, and then he'll come running up and talk to a corner and then he'll go back to his position as overseeing the entire practice. But he always has something to say to the various corners. And it is a wide open competition behind Marco Wilson. In fact, Nick Rawlis was asked about everybody else and just how close he might be the naming cornerback too.
Speaker 7: It's a young group with talent, with a high ceiling, and I like the way they show up and work in meetings.
Speaker 9: You know, there's a.
Speaker 7: Lot of details to that position, to that technique. Those guys are technicians out there, and you have to be obsessed with that spot and your craft.
Speaker 2: How close are you deciding on who's going to be two?
Speaker 9: Not close?
Speaker 7: It's a good competition right now. We got a lot of camp to go and I got to see who's who's going to merge to play certain roles.
Speaker 5: I'll give you an example today's practice, Greg Dortch making a lot of guys look bad. Mm hm, you know like the Dorch right, I mean he made he made so he made some plays. And then all of a sudden, towards the end of the one on one drills against the corners, Antonio Hamilton came up press man right in his grill, and he shadowed them all the way down the sideline and he was right with him step for step. So Antonio Hamilton, who's actually the one guy older than his defensive coordinator, thirty year old Nick rollis he has that experience he's used every single year of his career, he's had to fight for a spot in the fifty three. Antonio Hamilton has that dog mentality, and he has a supreme confidence that he's been there and done that. And I'm curious by the time we're done with Cardinals Camp, if Antonio Hamilton doesn't end up right where he ended up last year as the opposite starting corner in this scheme, that's.
Speaker 1: A possibility, Paul, it really is right now. But I love Nick Roll it's right there once again saying we're not even close. We're not even close to figuring out who's number two and number three. Boy, that sends a message to everybody that is fighting to be that corner opposite of Marco Wilson at this point in time. Christian Matthew. Of course, here's a guy that's got size to play on the perimeter, size to play on the edge out there, six ' two, one hundred and ninety five pounds.
Speaker 2: That's a big corner. Oh yeah, right.
Speaker 1: There, Paully, And you know, Key Troll Clark I think is maybe a little bit better suited at five ten and one hundred and eighty five pounds, one hundred and eighty one pounds somewhere in that vicinity. Maybe he's a little better suited to be that nickel guy in the slot. We'll see.
Speaker 5: Christian Matthew had a learning moment today. He was right there, step for step, stride for stride is one on one. In the very end, he got handsy, he got he got a hand up in the sho shoulder pad and he got flagged because they have officials working at and Nick Rowlis came out and basically explained to him that wasn't necessary. You're right there in coverage. Don't give him the flag, don't give them the first down because you see Christian Matthew wear those oven mits. Yes, when you get grabby, and so it's trying to teach those guys. Here's my other working theory when it comes to this, Well, how many times have we seen a three safety scheme? Buddha, Baker, Jalen Thompson and Isaiah Simmons. What position did Isaiah Simmons play more than any other? Last year? Slot corner? Jalen Thompson could play in the slot. We know Buddha can play in the slot, so you know, maybe there's just two corners and then that three safety alignment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, once again, let's just fine Isaiah up in one position and please tell him go play football.
Speaker 5: Will Hernandez next, and the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford in Gilbert.
Speaker 9: We got a good group of guys that's just like great dudes that want to play football.
Speaker 2: So it's easy to mingle with the group.
Speaker 9: Is easy to interject young office alignment into the room and it'd be fun. Oh man, me and Farris are already clicking. Man, such a cool guy, very smart. We even have our own handshake going on. Already there you go and already, well, I'll give you guys a clue. It's you. We wouldn't call it a handshake. We would call it more of a belly shake.
Speaker 5: Will Hernandez there with Wolf and Luke. Will Hernandez here on the Big Red Raid presented by santan Ford and Gilbert. We are santan Ford and we're also trying to figure out should we try to voke that visual there. Well, I'm not sure the belly shake, I'm not sure if i'd you know, should we just allow that to happen organically during the season when would you bust out the belly shake that you describe there would be like fourth and gold and boom, you come off the ball and you punch it in.
Speaker 9: Would that be apropos Yeah, definitely appropriate. But you know, the belly shake is gonna happen pretty much at the start of every drive, really, and that's that's just how we're gonna set the tone in the huddle. Okay, as far as the right side, but yeah, I'm sure it's not something that everybody wants to imagine, but it is something that's going to.
Speaker 5: Happen, which I'm just gonna be honest here. It leads us into our next question. Last we heard from you. Let's just say that you're listing on the roster here three point thirty two true or false? It was false, then are you any closer to the three thirty two now or in the interest of the belly shaker, you're going to keep that classified information?
Speaker 9: Well, the way doesn't change anything with the handshake. It's still going to be there. It's still going to be just as electric. Definitely closer to that number. So we'll say true, end false.
Speaker 5: Gotcha, well done? All right. Will Hernandez is our guest so your new right tackle, at least so far, has been Paris Johnson Junior. How long does it tell you take you to tell if a rookie can play? I was talking to some of the receivers and you know players, no players, right, They said, how long before you can tell a newcomer can play the spot? And they said, you know what these veterans were saying, Michael Wilson came in. It took us one practice half a practice to realize, you know what, this kid can play. How about you? When you see an offensive lineman for the first time.
Speaker 9: Usually pretty quickly starting with their the way they think, their mentality, how they talk about the game, how they you know, handle themselves, what they do you know, when something does go wrong, usually gives you a good idea. And then after that it's just after the first pad of practice. Really you can't. It's hard to judge off of you know, it's just helmets or when we're out there in shorts and our OTAs. So I usually you know, can tell right after the padded practice. But honestly I had I didn't even have to wait until the padded practice with Paris, Uh, you know, he proved himself earlier than that, And you know, I just had a good feeling that he's just a baller. And you know, it started all with the way he thinks in his mentality, which I really like. So definitely a good fit for us, Definitely the real deal, and he's going to help us out for sure.
Speaker 5: I mean, he's a massive human being, he's athletic, and from what I can tell, he's intense. He's got a mean streak about him, doesn't he? Oh yeah, So what do you think that right side of the line. I mean, when it's when it's third and short and you guys, I mean, the two of you, it would seem like, you know, your chemistry. How long does it take to develop that chemistry? They will always hear about with offensive linemen, how long you know, since you guys are brand new.
Speaker 9: You know, it's hard to tell. You know, guys can get it on the first rep. Guys can it can take him a few weeks at the end of camp whatever. But with me and Paris so far, it felt like it's happened pretty right off the bat, organically, didn't have to force anything. So it's been very very good, very simple, very easy. And then we're just building off of that right now, because we're never going to start, you know, thinking something's good enough.
Speaker 5: What's going to be his biggest challenge? Will Hernandez our guest in the Big Red Rage. You're a high draft pick once upon a time. You know, he only knows what he knows. Yeah, he's going to find out when regular season games start, and you know what, look at the first part of the Cardinals schedule. I mean, look at your first game. You guys are going against Jonathan Allen and Deron Payne and Montes Sweat and Chase Young right out at they gave What is he going to find out about the NFL real soon?
Speaker 9: You know, he'll find out real quick that. You know, pretty much his best matchup that he ever had in college is going to be pretty much every snap now. And I think he has a mentality to take it on. I'm not saying he's gonna be perfect. I'm not saying it's gonna be easy for him, or I'm not making any predictions. I'm just saying, based on knowing the guy personally, watching him practice, playing right next to him, I think he'll be able to handle adversity very well because at the end of the day happens to everybody, all of us, no matter how good we are.
Speaker 5: He talked about how, well, let's just put it this way, how needy some of the veterans might be in the offensive line room. That you guys have been pretty demanding when it comes to some of the requests for the rookies, be the drinks, the snacks. Somebody even mandated that the sandwiches be cut into triangles. Really really, will you.
Speaker 9: Know what, I'll go back to your last question. That's going to be the hardest part for him to understand. He needs to understand that we have needs and those needs need to be met.
Speaker 5: The most demanding offensive lineman in that room.
Speaker 9: Uh, you know what, I'll give it to the to the vets, Uh Beach and h and Hull.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Beach is relentless, you know, rightfully.
Speaker 9: So you know, these guys have paid their their dues and been in the game for a while, so they get to do stuff like that.
Speaker 5: All right, So we know the chemistry between you guys. What about Clayton Adams Chris Cook, the new offensive line coaches, how would you describe their philosophy so far?
Speaker 9: I think they're great coaches, very good personalities. They get along with those great right off the bat too. It was something simple that we didn't have to we didn't have to force. And I think these guys are very smart. These guys are very talented and you know, picking stuff up quickly, working with us like they I feel like they got it all. They're great coaches. They they make us better every day. And you could tell it too that they care. You know, it's very something. It's something that most players can always tell right off the bat is if the coaches, uh is really into it or he wants to make you think that he's into it. And these guys are definitely in one hundred percent.
Speaker 5: When you look at the playbook for an offensive linement, Cole McCoy has talked about just how different this offense is, right, zach Ertz said, In fact, it couldn't be more different than what the Cardinals ran last year. How different isn't for an offensive alignment this scheme?
Speaker 9: No, Yeah, they're they're absolutely right. This is a complete one eighty from what we used to do. And uh, you know, we're excited as far as an offensive line standpoint, We're you know, anytime you tell us we're gonna run the ball a lot more than we're gonna pass or that we're gonna you know, they're gonna they're gonna rely on us a lot more than they did last year. You know that pumps you up. You know, it gives you something to work more towards. And uh, it gives you like this ship on your shoulder too. And that's exactly what we're meant to do. That's exactly what we want to do. And then at the end of the day, it's gonna make everybody else job easier if if we can run that ball like the way we're supposed to do. And I think everybody's gonna benefit off of that. Guy who are gonna start catching deeper balls. You know, we're gonna make more explosive plays. You know, we're gonna set things up so we're excited as an offensive line, and then I know all the everything that's going to happen from that, all the other positions are excited about.
Speaker 5: Too safe to say it'll be more of an attacking style for the offensive line, yeah, going forward. Oh yeah, Because JG was asked about James Conner my favorite quota camp so far, and he talked about the strength of James Connery. He said, I can't wait to see him behind our offensive line as we cram the ball.
Speaker 2: Vertical.
Speaker 5: That was Jonathan Cannon, and I could just imagine every offensive lineman smiling, because that's exactly what you guys want to do, right, You want to dictate to the defense, don't you.
Speaker 9: Yeah, exactly. It just puts us in better position to not only help the team out, but really, you know, play the game the way we want to play it.
Speaker 5: You know, when you go about resetting a team and a roster, it just seems to me and look agree or disagree, but the teams have been successful and flipping it quick, like the Giants going from four wins to a playoff win, Seattle going from last place to the playoffs. They fixed the offensive line, right. You can have all the talent, all the skill positions you want, but if you don't have the offensive line intact and as a strength of the team, it just seems to me a lot of those other skill positions nobody could ever get traction. You can't get it in gear.
Speaker 9: Oh yeah, I agree, you know, I think there's a reason why there's five of us out there, and then at any other position, there's not you know, so that says a lot. I've always said it's on the offensive line to not only get us started and side the tone, but to finish games too and give guys a chance to be superstars.
Speaker 5: By the way, to Jeff Driscoll, get some street cred. You're a backup quarterback. When he filled in a tight end, I saw him in a non contact jersey. Yet he's in a four point stance right in the line of scrimmage in the trenches.
Speaker 9: What an athlete? Right?
Speaker 2: That was good?
Speaker 5: What else has stood out to you about this camp? You know what about this coaching staff? Jonathan Gannon, we had Josh Woods in here and he likened the culture reset that's gone on here to what he witnessed in Detroit with Dan Campbell. What have you seen?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 9: Yeah, all I see is a bunch of guys who are extremely motivated, but not just motivated, but back up everything they're saying in those speeches. And you just feel this ambience of guys that care and actually like want to go and move forward and get better. And now we got guys, you know, working together, offensive d line, offensive line, defensive line, talking after practice, talking throughout plays, you know, we're actually helping each other get better. It's not just a class class class all right, we did our job. Let's go back and like, no, everybody's like into it, into it, and you know, it's just something that you just feel by being around these guys every day. And it's hard to explain, really, but the only way you can really tell is it is by being around all these guys every single day and practicing and then going back getting better, talking about it and then practicing and going back and forth.
Speaker 5: It seems like everybody has their moment where they've been held accountabile by either the head coach or the coaching staff. Saving was the first one to really share his moment, right speaking a what have you seen out of him as a pass rusher as an outside edge guy?
Speaker 9: No, yeah, I mean we've known he's always been a very talented player and rusher, and you know, they've been using him a lot more now this year, and you know, we get to see him a little more inside, and you know, we we see firsthand what they're talking about. You know, he's a great player and we're glad he's on our team and he helps us get better on the outside with the tagles and on the inside now with the guards more than ever, because you know, we're not going to see very many guys that move like him and have, you know, strength and power like him. So it's good work for us and it's definitely going to make our team better and himself better too.
Speaker 5: In your six year what's the best and worst part of an NFL training camp? Will Hernandez? Is that an easy answer? What's the best? What's the worst part of a training camp?
Speaker 9: I would say the the best part is, you know, getting a was it first round draft picked rookie and getting all the sandwiches cut in your precise way right. And the worst, you know, just so like always long days with all that. But it's there's also some some good in that because you get to hang around these guys a lot more than you do anybody else, even even your own family. So you build really cool relationships and type knit relationships with a lot of these guys that end up being your friends and your boys and your brothers for life. And it all really happens here in training camp. So all right, I.
Speaker 5: Said, wrap it up. How curious are you to see what some of these guys look like in a preseason game. You're a week away now or so. What are you thinking as you guys get towards that point.
Speaker 9: Oh, it's always a great time, you know, going out there and competing in and watching these new guys, young guys go out there and earn their stuff too. It's fun to watch. So well, we'll be ready and get them ready.
Speaker 5: And we're ready for the run game, no doubt about it. Hell yeah, absolutely, the play extra pass game.
Speaker 9: Well, thank you, thank you guys.
Speaker 5: There you go. Will Hernandez our guest on the Big Red Rage. We continue right after this all presented by Santan Ford and go. You played for Dan Campbell went about resetting the culture in Detroit. Do you see any parallels?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 10: Absolutely, a lot of parallels that I see is no nonsense, but not micromanaging, and it teaches you to hold each other accountable as well as yourself. It's a fun environment. People want to be here, people want to do things right. You get rewarded for doing things right. Guys can buy into that. You know, you're not playing a game smoking mirrors. You're being very straight up and when you trust the coach is easy to play form.
Speaker 5: So are you of the opinion that a team takes on the personality of its head coach. Did that happen with Dan Campbell for example?
Speaker 10: I mean, yeah, I was buying kneecaps with one bund cheat.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Hey, look where the Lions are now, They're right there in the showcase Thursday Night game week one of the regular season at Kansas City Alliance team that won eight of its final ten games. And there was the Special Teams captain last year, Josh Woods on the Red Sea Report this week.
Speaker 2: Did he say butt cheek? Okay? I just wanted to make sure that's what he said right there?
Speaker 5: Okay, the out Q on the SoundBite quote one butt cheek heck.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And that brings us back to the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert We are San tan Ford.
Speaker 1: The one thing you know about Dan Campbell, of course, and the Detroit Lions, they were looking for specific men. They were looking for specific players to play on that team. Paulie and I think this is very similar to what Jag is doing out here with his coaching staff.
Speaker 5: So think about it. They brought in kay Zier White, they brought in Zach Pascal, they brought in Josh Woods. Interesting how a number of these players they brought in do have that mindset you were just talking about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, it's interesting you mentioned Zach Pascal. Here's a guy who's a wide receiver. Pall, he's a wide receiver. He can play wide receiver in the National Football League. You can actually throw him the ball in and he'll catch the thing. And yet Zach Pascal, this guy is physical as a wide receiver. Oh yeah, okay, remember An Kwon Bolden. Of course we all remember An Kwon Bolde. You could have taken end and Quorn Bolden and lined him up as a full back and he would have been Okay, he would have been able to hold up as a full You could have put him as the weak side inside linebacker and he would have been fine inside the box holding up against an ISO. You could have put him at strong safety and brought him down out of the secondary and let he was a physical, physical football player. And that's exactly the kind of player no matter what position you play. I think that's a prerequisite to being on this team. You got to be physical.
Speaker 5: Before the wildcat was all the rage, the Cardinals use An Kwon Bolden, the former college quarterback in the wildcat one game against the forty nine ers, and then it was interesting how the next season that became all the rage. So there's that. Okay, yes, you're looking for that mentality. There's no question about it. There's no question that the head coach has been tasked with resetting this culture, restoring the accountabilding, which was identified in the off season as being a problem last season. Josh Woods, He's been there and done that. Is there a bigger culture reset in recent NFL history than what Dan Campbell is doing with the Detroit Lions. They just sold out, By the way, there's season tickets for the first time in ford Field history. They have just started a waiting list for season tickets in Detroit. Think about that, Josh Woods. I asked him, you know, we heard it earlier and then we followed up just talking about it. Dan Campbell, who is his own singular unique personality? What is Josh Wood? See just in the intensity of a Jonathan Gannon.
Speaker 10: I haven't really seen it yet, but JG's insane. I know it.
Speaker 2: I know it.
Speaker 10: He'll be talking and he'll get riled up, you know, things that you're passionate about, and he just every like he's just explaining something to us, and then all of a sudden, like his face is right of veins are popping out of his neck, and then he has to go kind of roossa out of it. I'm like, he's.
Speaker 9: Nuts, He's nuts.
Speaker 10: And I'm like, and guys see it too, and they're like, I do not want to get on his bad side.
Speaker 5: No, it's in a good way. Well, what did Will Hernandez say about the two offensive line coaches? That players can tell when guys are truly vested, when it is truly meaningful to them, they have a passion for it. Sure it's just their job and they're clocking in nine to five.
Speaker 1: Right absolutely, Bally now you can see it. There's no doubt about it. And JG is genuine. He's got to be genuine always because your culture is genuine. And culture is what it's the what you're going to do. Culture is the how, it's how you're going to do things around here, Pali. Culture is the why why we do this around here. These are all things that you've got to reinforce on the field and off the field, on the field and in the tape room. Off the field, of course, on the field all of whatever it is that you do, Bauli. On a football team, you've got to reinforce your culture at all times. And I think when you think of the culture of this team, it's physicality, it's accountability, and it's disciplined. Those three things in particular. In other words, Pauli, if you're not a physical player, we're not going.
Speaker 2: To bring you in.
Speaker 1: And this is where JG and Mani have got to be on the same page. We're not going to bring you in if you're not a physical player. If you don't think that way, there's no reason to break bring you in. Accountable. If you're not accountable by the time you get here to the National Football League, you're not going to be accountable ever you're not. You just got to know that. And those guys sometimes you got to get up close to them. Sometimes you get you got to see it up close before you cut them and send them on their way, because they're not accountable people. Discipline, you know what. Discipline and being undisciplined will get you beat in a game and a heartbeat. Those those are the qualities you've got to look for in a human being. And that's where Manti Austin for and JG have got to be on the same page. We are arguing.
Speaker 5: Earlier this week, I contended that Buddha Baker is actually a better fit under this coaching staff than he was the previous No doubt that his mentality, that this new coaching staff is bringing everyone else up to Buddha Baker's mentality. That's what they're demanding and requiring. And Buddha recently was just talking about his role and how welcome, how much he has welcomed this new culture.
Speaker 8: I definitely believe that this coaching staff and Manting and GM are developing a great culture here. And you know, I'm very excited for you know, the things that they're doing and the things that you know, they coach and the things that they preach throughout every single day. You know, it's definitely a blessing to get that because my job is continue to be consistent in the way I play, but also just trying to get that coach right. And you know, this coaching staff is a great staff, and I believe we got it. So it's definitely awesome for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's awesome.
Speaker 1: And you know what, Buddha Baker is the perfect model for the culture you were talking about this, Polly. He's the perfect model for the culture they want to instill here with the Arizona Cardinals. But it's interesting because we were talking about Dan Campbell and he was on hard knocks. He was standing up almost pleading after the first week of two days or the first week of training camp, I should say, almost pleading with his guys to understand why they're doing it, why they're doing it. See, that's the reason why you've got to have a general manager and a coach beyond the same page. Because the GM has got to look for guys who have that physical mindset, who have that mentality, so that when you bring them in and then Jag says, Okay, here we go. We're going to knock each other's face off. We're going to be really really physical here. Then you don't have to have your head coach get up in front of the team and implore them to not revolt, implore them as to why you're doing what you're doing. You want guys who understand it from the get go. Now, every guy you're going to bring in that door may not understand it, But Paully, it's really critical. It's really important that those two guys are on the same page.
Speaker 5: Week ago, JG was asked how he defines culture and he just bottom line it. He said, culture is quote how you behave on a daily basis.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 5: So when you hear him say winning behavior, that's what he's talking about. Is culture going to win you the game week one against Washington? No, not if you have inferior talent, but if it's a close game like most games are in the NFL, Guess what, maybe you're not going to be the team that's going to lead the league in pre snap penalties like the Cardinals did a year. By the way, speaking of intensity about the red and white practice on Saturday twelve forty five here at State Farm Stadium, Jonathan Ganna says, quote, it will be full tilt. Whoa special thanks Jim Momhundro, Code Fincher, Mitch Feraldus, Will Hernandez our special guest for Ron Wolfley on Paul KELBC. This has been the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford in Gilbert.
Speaker 3: Number one, Tyler, you've been listening to the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford in Gilbert. Are you santan Ford State Farm Talk to an agent today at eight hundred State Farm and buy Arizona Cardinals podcasts. Visit Azycardinals dot com slash podcasts.
Speaker 2: This has been an exclusive
Speaker 3: Presentation of Arizona Cardinals football Talk