Speaker 1: Welcome to zero I am Akshatrati. This week, we are entering a decade of climate caution. The war in the Middle East has forced countries to focus their attention on the short term. European countries are offering some subsidies to keep energy prices low. The US, under President Donald Trump, is pushing the oil industry to drill more to try to keep global oil prices from rising even further. China has halted the export of petrol and diesel, while India has engaged with Iran to secure shipments of liquefied petroleum gas. But beyond some of those immediate measures, the war hasn't stopped countries from continuing their long term planning. In the past month, we've seen two major plans from two of the world's biggest polluters. In March, China approved its fifth teenth five year Plan, which sets out the trajectory for its entire economy and gives us a clearer sense of how the government makes progress on its climate goals. Then a few weeks after that, India published its climate plan for twenty thirty five. The plan got both types of reactions, praising India's commitment to climate and criticizing it for its lack of ambition. Today, I'm joined by my colleague Lily Pike, who is Bloomberg Greens China reporter, to discuss what these plans signal for the next decade. In our conversation, we will also touch on two other major emitters, the US, where Lily used to live until last year, and Europe, where I live. Lily, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: Great to be here, ak Shad, I'm a longtime fan of the pod.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's good to have you. So you're usually based in Singapore, and of course you report on China from there. But before we get to China, let's start with the US and tell me what the Trump administration has done over the past few months attacking climate policies and clean energy build out.
Speaker 2: That's right. I actually happened to be in the New York office today so I can moonlight as a US climate reporter for a bit. You know, it's always jarring coming back to the US from Asia because the energy and climate conversation is obviously so different here in the US right now. And you know, over the last year since Trump took office, we've seen a lot of rollbacks and a lot of attacks on climate and energy policy, the one that I think of first and foremost being here in New York, is the major battle over wind energy. I'm sure you're very familiar with this, but you know Trump has a particular animosity toward windmills, as he calls them, and he's been really focused on really kind of fighting wind energy projects in the US, particularly offshore wind. And just last week there was news that broke that the administration is actually going to pay total the French energy company a billion dollars for these leases that they purchased for offshore wind, so that they can then invest in natural gas development instead. So I think that kind of just highlights the extent to which the administration is anti wind and pro fossil fuels. You know, they're paying to have this company not develop wind energy. Clearly, from the administration side, it's been a very anti clean energy campaign, both on those wind projects, but also more broadly, if you look back at the tax bill, broad effort to slash the Biden era clean energy tax credits, and so that's having major long term implications for the speed of the clean energy deployment in the US versus say, China, where we've seen records every year. One of the biggest things on the climate frontier in the US has been the roll back and repeal of the so called Endangerment Finding, was the scientific finding back in two thousand and nine that allowed the EPA to set regulations on climate change and carbon emissions across the board in the US. So that has really wide ranging impacts for climate regulation going forward. And then kind of more broadly, obviously, we've just seen the US step back across the board from international institutions that includes all the main climate forums, the Paris Agreement Trump pulled out right after taking office again, and that's extended all the way to the Framework Convention on Climate Change, the unf Triple C, as well as the IPCC, the scientific body behind global climate action. And so we've really just seen a US retreat across the board.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's something we've talked about. We actually had the head of the IPCC on the podcast in March, so I hopelessness, we'll go back and listen. Because so much of climate science comes from the US, and if the U US government pulls out of that process, it can have pretty negative impacts for much much longer. Because these reports have so much impact on policy, but the US is only the second largest annual limitter. The biggest is China, which you cover extensively. And in the past month, we've had what would be China's defining strategy for the next five years. It's five Year Plan, a thing that it does well every five years, but it's sort of the planning document that everybody follows. So let's start there. What were the main headlines as they relate to energy and climate, so that.
Speaker 2: We have a lot to cover here. I was actually in Beijing this year for the release of the five Year Plan. Every year in Beijing there's an annual legislative meeting called the Two Sessions, and this was a special year because it was also the release of this five year Plan, which extends out to twenty thirty and so every year there's this tradition of foreign correspondents racing to get these documents before they're uploaded online to break the news. So everybody goes to the Great Hall of the People and races to get this stack of documents, which includes the five Year Plan targets. So my first read of these targets was done actually on the floor of the Great Hall of the people, they're no chairs, were just sitting on the floor scrambling to read.
Speaker 1: It's one of those things about working with the Chinese government that continues to stun me because even now, if you have to get like official comments from the government, you have to fax your questions in.
Speaker 2: It's very old school, yes, exactly. So it's a funny process to just get these paper documents and you know, we're talking about hundreds and hundreds of pages. So since then we've had some more time to digest all of these new targets and plans. But it's just worth underscoring how important the Five Year Plan processes in China. It really sets these major signals for climate, energy, the economy, or more broadly, you know, going back multiple decades now, it's been a really important way of you know, setting the guidelines for clean energy development in China and for the development of new technologies and manufacturing. So the kind of headline news out of this plan is really a balancing act that the Chinese government is doing where overall, you know, there's a statement that was included that was to continue to pursue the comprehensive green transformation of the economy, and so for you know I'm here in the US. That's a really you know, bold vision of moving from you know, this very coal based economy to a clean energy based economy, and that continues to be the direction of travel for China. And we see that all these signals in the five Year Plan on clean energy. However, you know, it's really important to look at some of the clear targets on climate change in particular which were less ambitious. And so when I wanted to highlight in particular, is this one the carbon intensity target? This is quite in the weeds, but it's really important. So this is the clearest climate target in the five year Plan. And the key thing to know is that there was a carbon intensity target set in the last five year Plan and China missed it, it seems, yeah.
Speaker 1: And it's the target where you take total emissions and then divide it by the gross domestic product of China. So that's why the intensity rather than the absolute emissions, which kind of if the economy continues growing, kind of allows China to creep growing its emissions even as the intensity might fall.
Speaker 2: That's exactly right. So it's basically, as you said, a way for China to set climate targets without having to really restrict its growth or put a hard cap on carbon emissions. And so actually China said that in this five year plan they would move toward a system where they would do what's called a dual control system, which is both that intensity target but also setting a firm cap on emissions. So going into this new five year plan, we were hoping we would see that kind of clear cap on emissions, and we did not get that. What we got was a new twenty thirty carbon intensity target to reduce carbon intensity by seventeen percent, and that is short of the ambition needed to meet China's Paris Agreement goals. And that is even after missing the previous carbon intensity target and the last five year plan. And so I think this just stepping back really highlights something that we all talk about, which is that China is thought to have set very conservative targets and then to overachieve those targets. But here we're seeing that, you know, due to some economic challenges in the last five year plan and continued challenges with the trade war, with the real wars going on around the world, China's become more conservative in its target setting, and in fact it seems, you know, missing these targets we look back in the last five years, and so I think that just kind of signals that China is in this era of climate cautions as you described well.
Speaker 1: But it's also true that China builds the most amount of clean tech in the world, deploys most of it at home, and does overperform. So why the caution, that's right.
Speaker 2: I think it's sort of hard to grapple with because we report on and read about all of these record breaking years with clean energy deployment, and it seems like China is able to do this year after year pretty easily. But what we've seen is at the same time, there are other areas of emissions growth. And so if you look back on last year, we saw China's emissions actually dip for the first time outside of the pandemic in a while, and so emissions fell just marginally, but by zero point three percent, and that for some experts, you know, it seems like a sign of optimism that emissions might actually start to plateau and fall, but it's too soon to say, because we also saw emissions in say the chemical sector, which we can talk more about, go up twelve percent and that's an area where emissions could continue to climb going forward. So we're seeing positive trends in transportation emissions as China's ev sales grow up to the fifty percent level last year, oil use has gone down in that sector, and we also see power sector emissions starting to decline with the growth of renewable energy. So in all those fronts we see optimism, and it seems like China should be able to continue to meet its rather conservative climate targets and perhaps exceed them, and so that carbon intensity target should be achievable. But at the same time, there's so much uncertainty in the world, and we see China also trying to extend the use of its fossil fuels at least in the next five years in these new sectors such as the chemical industry.
Speaker 1: And then there's an aspect of the Five Year Plan, which really is a Soviet tool that not just China, but even India where I grew up, uses it's very clearly laid out that can have huge impacts. So we know in past five year plans clean technologies have been mentioned, and once they've been mentioned, that has led to huge deployment. As we know of solar batteries, electric cars, and all the capacity in electrical equipment manufacturing that China has built, which is allowing China to cut emissions at home some of it, but really allowing so much other world to cut emissions. Were there technologies that were mentioned in this five year plan that China is aiming to work on, and when it starts doing that, it can really bring the cost down quickly.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, you know, just looking back, as you said, in the previous fiber plans, we get these mentions of these technologies which end up being you know, kind of bedrock technologies in the coming five to ten years. And so it's really important. Even if the five year Plan operates at a fairly high level and is super detailed, often on targets, those signals are very important to watch. And I was just thinking back to this map in the last five year plan which showed the potential locations for these clean energy megabases in China in the Northwest, and we've seen just a huge growth in those megabases in the past five years, at a scale that was unimaginable in the rest of the world, like hundreds of gigawatts. One of our reporters went to that region. Actually, a whole team of our reporters went to that region and visited one of these megabases in Inner Mongolia and described the scale as I think it was twelve Central park's worth of solar panels. This is just massive. So yes, it's really important to look at one of the name drops in the five year Plan as to what's coming up going forward. This year in the five year Plan, we saw a couple new sectors. Of course, there's still mentions of the bedrock technologies of clean energy as a share of total energy consumption, reaffirming those previous targets that have been set to increase that by twenty thirty. But beyond that, there are these frontier technologies that China really wants to develop further, and so we see a couple kind of new terms catchphrases that we might see going forward. One of those is this concept of a zero carbon industrial park. China set the goal of building around one hundred of those parks in the next five years. That is essentially kind of like a new type of factory or industrial park throughout China, and that would look like direct purchase of green electricity, greater use of green hydrogen when electricity use is impossible, large scale battery deployment, and then kind of advanced ideas of more synergy between different industries within the park to try to get emissions down as low as possible, and of course, because China is a manufacturing powerhouse, getting those emissions down is super important. So that's kind of like not one technology, but sort of an amalgamation of different technologies into more of a system going forward. Other concepts technologies that were mentioned the Vivier Plan include green fuels, So this is a really new area for development in China, and we see in a couple cases already the development of green ammonia and methanol which can be used in shipping and other areas where electrification is impossible, and that would involve the use of green hydrogen as well. So this is a really new area for China, but one to watch going forward. Equally, kind of on the frontier of technology is the idea of a zero carbon freight transport corridor, and China set the goal of building ten thousand kilometers of this new corridor in the Fiber Plan, and that really is referring to freight like long distance trucking e trucks, electric trucks, so that's something to watch. That might mean cool battery swapping on highways, better charging infrastructure across the board. And then of course there are these kind of more futuristic technologies like nuclear fusion, and that there is no clear target in the plan. It's just something that China has its eye on for further development and obviously would be really revolutionary if anything that significant happens in the next five years, but there's no there's no clear target behind.
Speaker 1: That, and some of these things really can make a huge difference. I mean, we are seeing real squeeze on diesel, for example, among all the refined products from the Strait of horm moves that come out, but diesel in particular is used in heavy duty trucks and it's become really expensive. So things like electric trucks as they become cheaper and their adoption grows because of China, but also other places build see more trucking electric. There's also talk about green fuels in Europe because Europe doesn't have much of its own fossil fuels, and especially in a war, you need jet fuel to be able to run all these planes. And so if the Strait of hormones is shut. You know, where are you going to get your jet fuel from? Perhaps you need to have green fuel capacity for war purposes, if not for climate goals. So coming to the war though, I mean, China has in some ways been preparing for a moment like this. Obviously, the one that it prepares for most is if there's a war with Taiwan and trying to capture it and what the US might do as a result. Choking up the Strait of Foremost is one of those things that it might do. Does any of what's happening with the war affect China's trajectory on energy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really been head spinning in terms of the speed of changes across the world the last few weeks since the Five Year Plan came out, and so we are looking at a different reality now. I would say the reality has changed more in other parts of Asia compared to China, because, as you said, China has been preparing for this moment for a long time. Chinese policymakers are obsessed with energy security. There is a major power crunch in China about four years ago, and that really led policymakers to double down on the backbone of the Chinese energy system, which is coal of course, So as clean energy deployment has really increased in China, so has the development of coal fired power plants. And also this you know coal to chemicals industry that we touched on earlier. All the experts I've been talking to you seem to think China is fairly well insulated from the energy energy shocks that we're seeing play out across Asia right now. You know, it has stockpiles of oil, it has the domestic coal resources that it needs, but of course it's not fully insulated. And so as we see oil prices go up, our colleagues that BLIMMERG Intelligence actually projected that, you know, if oil prices remain at the current levels, we could see coal use in the chemical sector double this year, which you know, if you think about how intensive that sector is from an emissions perspective, could really be significant for China's carbon footprint. So I think it's too soon to say exactly how this will shake out. You know, we don't know what the trajectory of the war is, but China's default is to revert back to cole at least to some extent in the short term, and I don't think that means abandoning the clean energy plans, but it might mean that we see an increase in emissions compared to with the pre war trajectory in this.
Speaker 1: Year after the break more of my conversation with Lily Pike and while I have you, please take a moment to rate or review zero on Apple Podcasts, Spotify or YouTube. Recently, amster Boo wrote clear and informative but engaging and made me smile. Thank you, Emster Boom.
Speaker 2: So Akshat. Now to turn the tables, I wanted to ask you about some of the reporting you've been doing lately on what's happening in India, just the third largest emitter after the US and China. So you've covered this major new plan that was just released in India. I know you were waiting for this plan to drop for a long time. Can you explain what was in the plan and what it means for India's climate trajector going forward.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we got so many false starts about this plan coming out that it was getting boring by the end of it. Then it really did come out of nowhere because nobody was expecting it to happen while the war was playing out and India is suffering from an energy crunch. But yes, we got a plan that has targets set out to twenty thirty five. This plan, unlike the China Five Year Plan, is not a domestic plan. It's really a plan submitted to the United Nations as part of India's commitment to the Paris Agreement. And the Paris Agreement is one that requires all countries to act. And so you know, even though this plan is late, should have been submitted in February twenty twenty five, there were commentaers praising that India is still committed to acting on climate and even though it's late, just having that plan is better than say the US, where Donald Trump has pulled the US out of the Paris Agreement. The plane itself has set goals that are pretty weak. So it has also set, just like China, a carbon intensity target. And so those carbon intensity targets are set by the base being two thousand and five, and then by twenty thirty five there'll be a carbon intensity cut of forty seven percent. Now, this is only slightly above a forty five percent reduction in carbon intensity that India already is aiming for by twenty thirty then the other concrete target in the plan was to increase the share of non fossil fuel power in the grid mix to sixty percent by twenty thirty five. Currently, as of twenty twenty six, it's at fifty three percent, and the pace at which India has been deploying renewable energy, that goal of sixty percent would be very easily met. If anything, the India Power Ministry was aiming for something like seventy percent non fossil fuels by twenty thirty six, and so on the target side, those targets are weak, and again, just like China, they are signaling caution and it's to some extent understandable. Right, Both China and India went on their carbon intensive trajectory much later than Europe or the US did, and now that the US, which is the largest historical limitter of emissions, has pulled out of this process, there isn't that much pressure on India and China to aim higher. And sure Europe tried, but Europe on its own is not as big a motivator for India. So the targets we got were weaker targets, but at least India has committed to the process.
Speaker 2: We talked about China being known to set relatively conservative targets and overperform. Do you see these new targets as a way of setting a benchmark that is easily achievable so that India knows it will meet the targets or do you think that you know it's still possible that they won't be met.
Speaker 1: I say that at least India has done so in the past. So in twenty fourteen, Prime Minister Mode set a goal that India will build one hundred gigawards of clean energy by twenty twenty two, and it exceeded that target. Then it set a goal of trying to build five hundred gigawards of clean energy by twenty thirty and it's going to exceed that target. So, at least on clean power, India has been able to exceed on the goals it's set. But then India doesn't do as comprehensive a plan as China does on all the different sectors of the economy that contribute to emissions. So you know, when you look at Asian economies and the share of electric cars in their mix, now you know many countries are above fifty percent. Vietnam Singapore, Thaighland, China. India is less than five to ten percent even today and has tried some policies but really hasn't committed to it. There is also goals that India set for itself to try and build its own manufacturing capacity for solar and for batteries, and that is not going well because a lot of the equipment for making those solar panels and batteries has to come from China, if not the solar panels and batteries themselves, and there have been tussles between some of the Indian companies and Chinese suppliers and those equipment haven't been delivered, and so India is not able to build that capacity as quickly as it would like to. So sure it works on power on every other sector in you needs to do a lot more.
Speaker 2: So we're seeing climate caution in China and India. I'd say maybe climate antagonism in the US. Beyond caution. I wanted to go back to the European Union, since you said in London you're watching this more closely. The continent struggled to reshape its energy supply after Russia's invasion of Ukraine, and now we have another energy shock playing out. How is that impacting climate ambition in the EU?
Speaker 1: The EUS really stuck between a rock and a hard place, just having gone through COVID and then an energy shock has meant public purses have been really strained, and so this time around the amount of subsidies that are being put into the system to try and lower energy prices is modest. But I have to say throughout this period, even though there's been a little bit of caution on CLI climate, most leaders are committed to having climate targets being met, and both the UK and European Union as a whole have submitted their climate plans to the United Nations and they're pretty ambitious compared to what we've seen on caution in India and China and of course antagonism in the US. And it also makes economic sense from a europe perspective. The continent really does not have much of its own fossil fuels. We had the Energy Commissioner of the European Commissioner talk about how Europe spent three hundred and seventy billion euros just importing fossil fuels last year, and that's less than what it used to import, but it's still a huge amount, and so for them, it's very clear that having homegrown clean energy is key douce energy security at home. And so that's the trajectory Europe wants to come in to. Now can it pull it off with its purse tied up, its finances struggling, and with even today a lot of bureaucratic rules that slow down the deployment of many of these technologies.
Speaker 2: And I know we've seen some backtracking just maybe in the short term in terms of turning back to coal as we talked about, you know, in China as well. We've maybe seen that in a couple of countries in the EU. So we'll see how that plays out through the rest of the year.
Speaker 1: Right cole has been declining in the Parmis quite a bit, but yes, there are still countries like Germany and Poland that have large coal power plants. And we do see when gas prices spike the countries that do have access to coal power plants increase colburn, but it's going to be nothing like what we'll see in colburn increase in India or China.
Speaker 2: Now that we've talked about EU, in China, India and US. Of course there's the rest of the world still and you know, I think it's the rest of the world contribut it's about forty five percent of the remaining emissions. And as we talked about earlier, the war is really having an impact on energy futures in Asia and other parts of the world. How do you see the war impacting emissions in these countries.
Speaker 1: It's very hard to say. I mean, I think in the short term, again, countries that can get access to fossil fuels will use whatever fossil fuels they can colburn will go up, which means emissions will go up. But then most countries in this forty five percent are actually importing countries, and they're poor countries, and so at a higher energy price, they might actually see their economy struggle and as a result might not burn fossil fuels, which is not the way in which you want to cut emissions, because it will mean lower economic growth, which would mean harm to lots of poor people. And so it's going to be a mixed picture in the short term. But I think in the long term the trajectory for fossil fuel importing countries becomes even clear. To try and get down the clean energy path as soon as possible, and perhaps do it more systematically than places like Pakistan have done in the past. Something you're reporting on where there's been a big solar boom, but then that solar boom is causing all sorts of other problems. Hopefully there are lessons that countries can learn from what's happened in Pakistan to do it more systematically. So talking of stories to come, tell us a little more about the Pakistan story, but also what major stories you're looking to cover this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was going to say the shared a mutual obsession we have with China's overseas clean energy footprint and exports is something I'm really focused on right now. And as you mentioned, you know, it really is one of the big factors coming out of you know, this early period of war, will China, will Chinese companies really surge their exports to these markets to help them with a clean energy transition as the economics become more favorable with oil and gas prices going up. And so that's something I've covered In Pakistan. We saw that while Pakistan's really in a hard place and cutting fuel usage, there was a study that we saw from Korea that Pakistan would be in a much worse place today had it not really embraced Chinese solar panels and this massive, really historical way back in twenty twenty two. So Pakistan now has basically exceeded its previous grid capacity in solar imports from China, and that's allowed it to really have a bit more of a buffer in the face of these really expensive oil and gas imports. So that's something that kind of broader question of how Chinese clean energy exports impact the trajectory of developing countries in Asia and around the world. That's something that we're both really focused on and particularly looking at kind of the implications that we may not see immediately in the news, but you know, the broader implications for geopolitical shifts, emissions, all of that is something readers and listeners can watch out for this year. Back on the domestic side in China, all the things we talked about today will be areas for reporting this year. I'm really interested in how these frontier technologies are actually playing out on the ground, and so I'm going to China as much as i can. I was just in Beijing and I hope to be back. You know, traveling from Singapore to China in the near term to look at both the implementation of these technologies but also something that you've covered, you know, the bottlenecks to the clean energy transition and decarbonization in China, and so that can mean, you know, infrastructure challenges, it can also mean you know, social impacts, you know, the major challenge of just shifting the workforce to new areas of employment and clean energy from you know, the current and pre existing fossil fuel economy. So those are those are all areas that I'll be covering going forward.
Speaker 1: Well, the China story is the clean energy story, and I really look forward to all the stories that you're working on, but also to working with you on many of these stories. So thank you, Lily for the chat and for I'll look at how China is shaping the future, and maybe India at some point will also well, I.
Speaker 2: Think the India story is equally important, and so I'm glad we got to talk about both today and yeah, so glad we get to tackle this global story together.
Speaker 1: And thank you for listening to zero. Now for the sound of the week. That is the sound of a ship's propeller being polished after it's been cleaned of barnacles. When barnacles attached to the hull or propeller of a ship, they create extra drag, making it consume more fuel and thus emit more pollution. If you liked this episode, please take a moment to read and review the show on Apple Podcasts, YouTube, and Spotify. This episode was produced by Oscar Boyd with help from Magnus Hendrickson. Our theme music is composed by Wonderly Special Thanks to Samersadi, Laura Milan, and Sharon chen i'm Akshatrati back soon.