Speaker 1: Al Zoe Media Stay.
Speaker 2: Six Welcome back to sixteenth Minute, the podcast where we talk to the Internet's characters of the day and figure out how their moment affected them and what it says about us and the Internet. And today we are doing a little bit of bonus content bibe, a little treat for my friends, a little cyclical meat for my friends, because today I want to share a little bit about my time in Las Vegas from last month when I went to go see the Takaro Kobayashi and Joey Chestnut showdown that happened on Labor Day. The event itself was broadcast live on Netflix. It was called Unfinished Beef. Pretty good title, you gotta admit. And it was a part of this new initiative from Netflix that maybe you've noticed in the last year there live streaming more things across genres, and this appeared to kind of be an experiment to see how hotdog eating would play in this format. And to start, I want to be clear about one thing. Hot dog eating is sports. And this was the first event I had ever been to that unquestionably treated hot dog eating like sports. I would not have missed it for the world. I literally flew myself there. I am very invested in the rivalry of Kobayashi v. Chestnuts. So if you want to hear the full story of that rivalry, both online and off, as well as all of the intersecting media narratives that followed them over the years, that is in our episode that came out earlier this week. But today I am taking you to an event I was convinced would never happen the day that Joey and Kobe faced off one last time on September two, twenty twenty four. As well as a little more from our guest from our last episode, Nicole Lucas Haymes, who is both an executive producer on Unfinished Beef on Netflix as well as the director of the iconic twenty nineteen thirty for thirty documentary on this rivalry called The Good, The Bad, the Hungry. So come with me if you will till Las Vegas. It's September in Vegas, and so it's so hot I want to die and I'm here to see who after fifteen years of not competing against each other, has come out to see Kobayashi and Chestnut compete live at the Hyperax Arena in the middle of Labor Day, and as my friend and writer at The Ringer Jody Walker mentions in her wonderful coverage of the event, which I will link in the description, Labor Day clocks in as an American holiday pretty close in jingoism to the Fourth of July. It's a celebration of the social and economic achievements of the American worker, or it's supposed to be. It began as a celebration of unions and collective efforts to cut down grueling work schedules in favor of more manageable hours and wages. But like many American holidays, over time, Labor Day has become a day to enjoy heavily processed meat with your friends. But this year I am clo walking in on Labor Day in Vegas, in this blisteringly hot, completely mollified American city to hear why the workers of America are spending their leisure day watching these guys eat hundreds of hot dogs. And just as Labor Day is the second best holiday for such an event, Las Vegas feels like the second best location to Coney Island, where the Nathan's famous Hot Dog contest happens every fourth of July since the nineteen seventies and where Joey and Kobe faced off for the better part of the two thousands, kicking off this rivalry in the first place. And this event was happening right on the strip, and I like this strip. It's like if the Mall of America got drunk and sharded itself. When I arrive at the Hyperrex Arena, I am far from alone. There is a lot of press here and technically I'm not even here as press. I am technically here as a guest of Netflix. I took a meeting with some of the produce of this special while it was still coming together earlier in the summer, and I managed to scam my way into VIP access instead of mixing among the plebes, which was honestly surprising to me because I was fully planning on being one of the plebes. I just reserved normal tickets because I assumed I would not be able to con Netflix into letting me go, but I did. There was a lot of press around this event, and it's largely appealing to the nostalgia of this rivalry that's been going on for the better part of twenty years. So I wasn't sure what to expect, because it seemed like this event came together pretty rapidly, and down to the day it happens, I had a lot of questions about what this event was really going to be. What I did know was that the rematch was the brainchild of director Nicole Lucas Hayms, who, as we discussed in the last episode, was the first person to really pull in the personal narratives of both Joey and Kobe in her thirty for thirty, along with kN textualizing their relationship with Major League Eating and its top brass George Shay. Nicole had been wanting to make this happen for half a decade, and in summer twenty twenty four, everything suddenly came together for the first time. Joey Chestnut was finally contractually available to do a rematch during a year that Netflix happened to be seeking out high profile live stream opportunities, and in the coincidence of the century, one of the producers that Nicole had worked with at ESPN on the thirty for thirty had since moved over to Netflix. So I met the hyperex arena and the line is winding and buzzing with energy, even though it's ten in the morning and everyone seems a little bit hungover, and the Paya Day workers that have been hired by Netflix are circling in the crowd and distributing T shirts for people to wear on the broadcast. The white T shirts say Team Chestnut, the black T shirts say Team Kobe, and yes, I managed to get one of each. The event is to be hosted by comedian and Daily Wire alumni Rob Wriggle, along with w w E wrestling legend Nikki Bella. I am two hours early and there's already hundreds of people in line, and I quickly realized the only way to narrow down who I should be talking to in this line was to commit to only talking to people who were dressed like hot dogs. What brought you here? Event?
Speaker 3: We were and I are dating.
Speaker 4: And the first thing that I saw when I went to El Nathan's hot competition nod.
Speaker 2: Like a first day. I really like the first day, but my first time.
Speaker 5: They have your family at.
Speaker 2: Yeah, are you rooting for one person? Fore the today we're writing for kobyash You see how the underdog will compete with chests out for sure. Nice to meet you, great outfits were the same at home. Yeah, we're just out here because like it's a great time to hang out with friends, like everyone comes together for competitive eating. Like yeah, if you don't see Jillian Kobayashi, Like why are you even here? Are you from around here? Oh we're from Denver? Oh see?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And then who are you rooting for?
Speaker 6: Today?
Speaker 4: We were to Kobe but you can't both of them.
Speaker 7: Yeah, my name's Carrie, Hi, I shall Anastasia and j Hello.
Speaker 2: What brings you bird today? Yeah? Okay, oh my god, you live birthday.
Speaker 8: And here I am all on the same day.
Speaker 5: And this couldn't have happened at a better time. Part time in Vegas has been great, but were we're not here to experience Vegas now here the hand dog when here for the challenge.
Speaker 2: We're here to see Kobe.
Speaker 6: Take all.
Speaker 2: And he's gonna win.
Speaker 9: I'm not.
Speaker 2: I'm not he especially the goal he is the goat. Okay, what brings you here today? Well, because I've never gone to a hot sageting competition before, no way, so, and I know Joey Chestnut because I've seen him.
Speaker 3: In like misteris Vidius.
Speaker 2: So I just really wanted to come and see them. So did you have the costume already? Yeah, because I were. I was a hot dog as for Halloween like two years ago. Sides, he's had the costumes all right.
Speaker 10: Well, crazy guys, Plezzy time, Gluzzy Goblin, that's his time.
Speaker 11: Yes, take it out.
Speaker 2: Were you watching as this rivalry was originally playing out, Yes.
Speaker 4: Joey Chestnut all day. I think you takes them down. I think it's with ease.
Speaker 8: I think Kobeyashi's puking at the animile.
Speaker 10: Joey's taken down his eightieth plesy.
Speaker 12: I would love to see our shirt.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, there custom made.
Speaker 5: Wait, our faces are like, god, wait, that's not us.
Speaker 7: You can't tell.
Speaker 2: Because we're in disguised right now.
Speaker 10: That's yes, we brought two extras so we can handle Kobayashi and Chesna.
Speaker 2: So we've been rooting for Chessnut, but it just feels wrong to go against the og too.
Speaker 12: So that's what I just so thank yiss.
Speaker 9: Time.
Speaker 2: So you can tell a lot of different kinds of people are here in the people who had dressed up as hot dogs alone, and everyone was very very excited to be there, and particularly after I had scammed my way into Joey and Kobe t shirts because I don't take sides when both of my husbands are involved. I was eager to see how this event was going to be approached because the rollout for this event, well, there's some lore to the casual fan. A Joey Kobe rematch might have seemed like it came out of nowhere. It's been fifteen years since the very dramatic parting of this rivalry, which peaked with Kobe Yashi being publicly arrested on Coney Island while protesting Major League Eating's refusal to let him participate in the twenty ten contest. You can listen to our previous episode to know the full story. But a major factor as to why this.
Speaker 10: Happened Japan's Eating champion has been arrested after a fight at a hot dog competition in New York.
Speaker 2: Was because of Kobe's contractual issues with Major League Eating and xenophobia. But on paper contract issues, Kobeyashi felt his professional potential and ability to take on other sponsorships was extremely limited by Major League Eating because it was, but his pushing back on this did not go over well, and ultimately, amongst many other tensions, This was a major factor as to why he walked away from a contract renewal. But this was in the late two thousands, and it's interesting to watch why many people choose not to be with the mL now. The reason some eaters don't fuck with the organization is because you can make more money as an eating influencer. A great example is an eater named Matt Stoney, who has been the only person to defeat Joey Chesnut in the Nathan's Contest after Kobe departed in an otherwise uninterrupted seventeen year victory run.
Speaker 11: Now five seconds, what's in the mouthcounts, so they both are struggling to keep what's in the mouth in the mouth. The competition is now done and it appears that Matt Stony is our new champion.
Speaker 2: God Major League Gating has problems, but the commentary is just waw. Matt Stoney is still very much a working eater. In fact, he is basically the opening act at this Netflix event, but he doesn't compete in the Nathan's Contest anymore. He's been more focused on his YouTube channel in the past five years, where he currently has over sixteen million followers. And I don't have figures to certify definitely means more money than one would have under an MLA contract. But with the exception of the league's top eaters, most professional eaters have not quit their day jobs. But still, professional hotdog eating isn't really popular enough to command contract drama outside of their biggest stars. So really, if anyone was going to have enough name recognition to stir the pot when it came to renewing their contract, it would have to be like Joey Chestnut, And in June twenty twenty four, it was Joey chest Nut.
Speaker 9: It's something that has left fans and competitors alike in shock. You might have already heard the buzz, but yes, it's true. Joey chestnutt, the king of the Nathan's Famous International hot Dog Eating Contest, won't be competing this year. This news has sent ripples through the competitive eating community.
Speaker 2: This was a lot of drama for me. I was in New York City. Why was I in New York City? Of course, to make a speech in front of the hot dog in Times Square that ejaculates confetti that you can listen to the episode about. But this was just a very dramatic time in the hot dog community. We didn't see it coming. We knew he was going to retire at some point, but this wasn't a retirement. This was walking away from the mL. And right away I noticed that there were a lot of media narratives that were competing with the real truth. It's very possible that there is some bad blood between Joey Chestnutt and Major League Eating, but none of that has been formally confirmed. What we know is that Joeoe was offered a contract with Impossible Foods that Major League Eating felt violated their long standing relationship with Nathan's Famous hot Dogs, which would be a rival brand, and for whatever reason legal, I'm assuming the mL forces Joey to choose between staying in the contest he became famous for, or this new deal with Impossible and Joey honestly, like I said in the last episode, Joey is more famous than the hot dog eating contest at this point, so he goes with Impossible, and this prompts a number of silly media narratives, including the idea that Joey went woke and went broke by taking money from Vegan hot Dogs, which isn't even true. He still eats meat The other narrative I saw a lot was that Joey had been banned permanently from the Nathan's Contest, which is also not technically true. Major League Eating has said he's welcomed back if he stops working with competing brands, and a quick side note here, Joey does have other ongoing business partnerships, I guess, just not ones that compete with a hot dog brand. I say this because I wanted to shout out my favorite Joey Chestnut collab, his ongoing partnership with Dudewipes.
Speaker 10: Horn seventy six hot dogs ten minutes to make a legends.
Speaker 2: But what happens after that's kind of explosive.
Speaker 10: To behind the eating with Joey Chestnuts presented by dude wipes.
Speaker 2: Sure, dude wipes are a gendered musky butt wipe for men. I mean, if you're going to make aggressively gendered man wipes, I guess Joey Chestnut kind of he is your guy. He's a dirty boy.
Speaker 3: He needs his boy wipe.
Speaker 2: Anyways, it's the impossible foods partnership that severs the relationship between Joey and Major League Eating, and Joey makes a formal statement on what happened. From his perspective, on June eleventh, he says, I was gutted to learn from the media that after nineteen years, I'm banned from the Nathans July fourth hot Dog eating Contest. I love competing in that event. I love celebrating America with my fans all over this great country on the fourth, and I have been training to defend my title. To set the record straight, I do not have a contract with mL or Nathan's and they are looking to change the rules from past years as it relates to other partners I can work with. This is apparently the basis on which I'm being banned, and it doesn't impact the July fourth event. Sadly, this is the decision Nathan's and Major League Eating or making, and it will deprive the great fans of the huh Holiday's usual joy and entertainment. To my fans, I love you and appreciate you. Rest assured that you'll see me eat again soon. All caps stay hungry, and if you're a hot dog head, this is just like unbelievably juicy. Now, the really tricky thing here is that Joey says he does not currently have a formalized contract with the mL and part of the reason that is is because he learned from watching Kobayashi's experience. So there is a lot of frision between Joey and the organization, right It was a huge shakeup, and all of the fans, and by fans, I mean me, were waiting to find out if this issue was going to be resolved or if Joey was going to make the break between himself and the contest permanent. And we didn't need to wait long to find out, because the next day, Netflix announced hot dog eating champs Joey Chestnut and toa Karo Kobayashi will go head to head in a Netflix special. The contest, titled Chestnut for Versus Kobayashi Unfinished Beef, will feature the two chowing down on all beef hot dogs, likely in a nod to reports that Chestnut's rival brand deal is with Impossible Foods, which makes plant based hot dogs. Major League Eating, the organization that oversees the Nathan's contest announced Tuesday that Chestnuts deal was an exclusivity issue, saying that it was his decision to step back from the competition he's participated in since two thousand and five quote. We love him, the fans love him, said George Shay, a Major League Eating event organizer, adding he made the choice, Oh, oh my god, the boys are fighting. I don't know what scandaval is, but whatever it is, this is that for me. And now Netflix is announcing that not only is Joey not returning to the contest, he is taking a check from Netflix and going up against his greatest former Major League Eating rifle. And on the day, Netflix releases this sorry, very ugly AI generated poster, which led me to think this must have come together very quickly, not even enough time to hire someone to make a poster quickly. George Shay of Major League Eating tries to play off the suddenness of this announcement and says that it's going to be a pale imitation of the Nathan's Contest, and it's unclear if that'll be true or not. Also quick sidebar, New York City Mayor Eric Adams bravely weighs in and says, stop being such wienies. It would be impossible to have this year's Nathan's Famous International Hot Tag Eating Contest without Joey Chestnut. Let's find a way to squash this beef and bring back the champ for another Fourth of July at Coney Island, and Eric Adams is doing great, I hear. So when I spoke with Nicole, I wanted to know did this Netflix thing come together really fast? And the answer appears to be yes and no. Nicole Lucas Ames tells me that she'd been trying to make this happen for years and once started moving the Netflix production team was amazing. This just happened to be when the stars aligned. How did this end up coming together?
Speaker 6: So Jenna Anthony, who is a very bright and somewhat visionary executive, asked me when she was at thirty for thirty to come in with the take the Good, the Bad, the Hungry. She was part of the process in the making of the film, and when I knew that we could actually go to market, take this to market, that the rules had been agreed upon, Jenna was the person who I knew I wanted to take it to. And when we brought it to Jenna, she immediately grasped the possibility. The Live Division at that moment was evolving its own vision for programming, and a few months later she got back to us and said, let's keep talking, Let's try to get this moving. And there were some bumps along the way with Joey and Kobe, and she was absolutely instrumental in really fighting for this to happen. She was terrific.
Speaker 2: So that June announcement is made and then there's just mystery, which I can say before because I went to the Nathan's famous Hot Talk eating contest on the fourth of July on Coney Island this year thanks to a friends and family pass from wonderful hot dog eater Mary Bowers, and a part of me was sort of like, is Joey Cha's not going to show up as a surprise? Is there any chance that this is a pr stunt? No, it wasn't. In fact, Joey chesnut kind of pulls from Kobayashi's playbook. In twenty twenty three, when I went to the contest, there was this flying overhead plane advertisement from Kobe endorsing Heinz Ketchup. And in twenty twenty four, the recently ejected Joey had a Pepsi billboard right on Coney Island next to the contest. He was missing for the first time in twenty years. These fellas are petty. I love them, and so in twenty twenty four, for the first time in almost a decade, Joey Chestnut did not win the Nathan's Hota eating contest because he wasn't there. So it does seem that this relationship is indeed severed, and that at Netflix, Kobe and Joey are going to be acting completely independently of Major League Eating. And then things go silent again until August, when the promotional materials for the broadcast finally start to roll out. On August twenty third, the picture clears up a little bit when Robrigel and Nikki Bella are announced as the hosts and not Jamie. Yes, I tried that these hosts actually make a lot of sense based on what it seems like Netflix is trying to synergize, right, They're trying to get into live event streaming. They have just made a huge investment into the WWE, and they're also gearing up to stream a lot more sporting events. And so, to my delight, Netflix treated hot dog eating like a sport. They brought in pro sports commentators Carry Champion and Chris Rose, something that was never formally done on the Nathan's Contest, even though it was broadcast on ESPN. Then in late August, Netflix announces that this contest will have new rules. Previously at the Nathan's Contest, the eater with the most hot dogs with buns eaten in ten minutes wins. Water dunking is allowed, as are condiments, but most people will pass on that you can separate the hot dog from the bun, and partial hot dogs eaten will be counted as long as they are swallowed. Here are the rules that Rob Wriggle presented in a video Netflix posted to YouTube.
Speaker 10: Rule number one, each contestant will have ten minutes to eat as many hot dogs and buns as they can Brule number two there will be no dogging or soaking of hot dogs and or bugs. Rule number three there will be no separation of hot dogs from buns.
Speaker 2: Rule okay if you're a fake fan of professional eating. These rule changes are significant, particularly no water and no bun in hot dog separation. These are big changes in terms of how Joey and Kobe approach eating, particularly Joey who famously separates the buns from the hot dogs in his technique. But before you get conspiratorial Nicole tells me that these were mutually agreed upon rules between the two and both were aiming to push themselves by trying different rules in the contest. And so I asked her more about what it was like to produce this event. What was it like having this be a live production like it seems it seemed very intense, totally intense.
Speaker 8: You know, as a documentarian, right takes you know, a long long time to make a film, and every frame of a project you sweat over and wanted to be perfect.
Speaker 6: And live is like playing jazz and it's wild and it's kind of amazing. Though to say that blies the amount of prep that goes into it. And that's what I learned, which I found extraordinary. There was an extraordinary challenge in food teams overseen by an executive producer by the name of Daniel Kalin, and the care and time that went into making sure that the competition worked according to the rules, the writing of the rules, how they did all these practices, the questions that came up in between, like who would know that vomiting You're going to deduct some hot dogs? But what happened if you vomit after the competition? Is done, and before and it's a tie and before start?
Speaker 5: How long do you have to keep it down kind of thing down before you if there's a tie, yeah you puke?
Speaker 6: Are you deducted? If the first competition has started but the second tiebreaker hasn't begun? Like all of the things that one would never think about, these guys thought.
Speaker 12: About, okay, let's return to Vegas.
Speaker 2: The moment I got into the event, it was clear that this was very much trying to be its own thing. It didn't resemble the outdoor, jingoistic Nathan's event I was used to. In fact, I would say it has a lot more in common with the aesthetic of the pro eating televised events that Kobayashi first became famous for in Japan in the two thousands. It was very chromatic, it was intense. It completely lacked the folksy vibe that the Nathan's contest puts on, as well as the jokey tone that that broadcast often has. They were straight up treating this like a sport, and.
Speaker 11: It's getting personal around here. Welcome to Chestnut first Kobyashi unfinished speep.
Speaker 10: Hello everybody, I'm Rob.
Speaker 2: Wriggle, and I thought this was really cool, and Riggle and Bella hosted the event well, but it was clear that they weren't the main attraction in the way that George Shay often was. The main event was Chestnut versus Kobayashi, and they were introduced as gods, but not in the way I was used to. Here are some clips from the pre tape packages that aired ahead of the contest. If I could talk to my nine year old self and tell them that there's gonna be the world.
Speaker 11: Champion of Bedi Eader and say, oh my god, my life is awesome, Joey do not supports them.
Speaker 4: They It's even.
Speaker 2: In Japanese. He's saying, well, this is true of any sport, but the thing that people most want to see is who's the best, And personally, I believe I became number one in the world. This is a pretty significant difference from the way that we're used to hearing these guys introduced, where the guys are introducing themselves instead of the institution doing it for them. Nicole Lucas Haims actually filmed and conducted these interviews, and it's really interesting noticing that since this rivalry began, the framing of it has changed. In the early at the mL Joey and Kobe were talked about in this almost Olympic style rhetoric. It's not Joey versus Kobe, it's America versus Japan. And by the time they get to Netflix in twenty twenty four, Joey and Kobe's history is framed as a pretty straightforward sports rivalry, devoid of the politics and contractual issues that we're now aware of, And in days leading up to the contest, they both did a fair amount of press to promote the event.
Speaker 11: Dude, Netflix put it together and because Koba, we really don't communicate me and Kobyashi, which is all right.
Speaker 2: It's kind of been a bumber that we haven't been able to compete. But thankfully Netflix they reached out and they were like, let's let's.
Speaker 4: Get this done.
Speaker 2: Kobayashi, this is might be your final event, this final face off with Joey.
Speaker 4: What does that mean to you? It means a lot, Talia, So I haven't a completed for all five ers. Literally, I'm back for a londe one day only.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 2: This also establishes their new dynamic, not as characters or national representatives, but as athletic rivals, and according to my sources, the animosity between these guys is still very genuine. By the time the guys come out on stage, the audience has been sorted to one side of the crowd or the other, wearing a Team Joey or a Team Kobe shirt, and of course the competitors friends and families are put front and center with a camera on them. And to fill out the hour, Netflix trotted out a couple other professional eaters who were not contractually barred by Major League Eating to participate. There was Matt Stoney, the only other guy who's beaten Joey at the Nathan's Contest, who did a brief segment where he beat three Olympians in a pool side wings eating contest. Great no notes. There was a section with Australian eater Leah Shutkiver, who broke the world record for watermelon eating live cool. I was glad to see a woman eater prominently featured. And while it's really dynamic, there's never a sense that anyone's making fun of anything. Really, the closest we get to levity or sketch comedy in this broadcast is a covert ad for the WWE, where two wrestlers Ramus Terio and Almos came out to declare their allegiance to Joey and Kobe whatever. And finally it's time Joey and Kobe come out, and I am barely holding it together. I happened to be standing on Kobe Yashi's side of the crowd, along with some TikTok food influencers, and I was very happy to be sorted here. Joey has won contest after contest for years, but for Kobe, after all this time, and after all he'd been put through by major league eating and being displaced by Joey, I wanted Kobe to win. And sure enough, as the guys start gobbling, and holy shit, if you haven't seen how efficient professional eaters are in the way they do this, I don't even know if I would recommend looking at it, but I think it's incredible. It's athleticism, and Joey and Kobe are neck and neck, hot dog for hot dog at the top of the contest. But as time goes on.
Speaker 11: Kobe Yashi is doubt about three dogs two plus minutes into this bad sign or can he make it up? Well, it's not a great sign, but he's not losing more ground, so at least he's holding steady.
Speaker 2: Now Tobe starts falling behind in numbers, and you can see the anxiety on his family's face, particularly his wife and creative collaborator Maggie. As things began to turn, she was openly crying, something that would really resonate with people who had seen her appearance in the thirty for thirty and so as Kobe starts to fall behind, the feeling in the room is nuts. I was screaming because while they're there this anxiety on one side of the stage. Joey was relentless. It was wild. So any concern that these new rules would set either competitor behind was a mistake. They were both performing better than ever, but by the last few minutes, who was going to win? The writing seemed to be on the wall.
Speaker 11: Christ that's Drue six dogs ahead of his world record pass Joey Jessa as he just climbed past seventy with under two and a half minutes to nose. There is limit other this work.
Speaker 2: It's going to fall and in pretty short order, after a ten minute contest, both Joey and Kobe broke their personal best hot dog records. But Joey wins the contest.
Speaker 5: Beating Kobe Yashi in an absolutely terrifying eighty three hot dogs to Kobe's sixty six, and Kobe fans, myself included, are pretty devastated.
Speaker 2: I mean, this loss is significant, particularly after he'd spent such a long time out of the mainstream spotlight in the US, and considering that Kobayashi was the inspiration for Joey Chestnut to even try this career in the first place. It was a moment where the mentee had surpassed the mentor. But that was it. The rivalry was settled, the event was over. After the Netflix broadcast wraps, the reporters and influencers and other people kind of just dispersed. It was one in the afternoon, it was a holiday weekend, and a lot of them had flown out to Vegas for the event and wanted to enjoy the rest of their time. But I'm standing there like gutted, not even because Kobyashi had lost, but because it was over. And while most people understandably leave the auditorium and continue their day, it was comforting seeing that there were a few other people there who had sunk hours and days and weeks into being a fan of professional eating and really never thinking this day would happen, standing in shock at what they'd just seen. It sucked watching Kobe Yashi loose. And I say that as someone who is in love with Joey Chestnut. I saw him break his record back in twenty twenty one with seventy six hot dogs and I couldn't eat for days. It was incredible. But of course Kobe winning is the better story. But maybe that's the ultimate validation that this really is a sport. No one knew what was gonna happen, and the results were indisputable. So no, it didn't have the electric energy of a George Shay introduction. You don't have Joey Chestnut coming out to Baba O'Reilly, you don't have Kobe Yashi being called poetry in motion. But to Netflix's credit, they did take this seriously. This was the most legitimized I'd ever seen hot dog eating, And for my money, that's a win for both of the rivals, because in many ways, being taken seriously is my much of what they've been asking for. So Joey and Kobe, my boys, your sixteenth minute will never end in my Heart. Thank you again to Nicole Lucas Hyms for her time. You can watch her thirty for thirty and Unfinished Beef on Netflix now, and keep your eyes peeled for her latest work, which is a documentary about policing in America sometime next year. And what do you know, folks, If you want to hear more about my time at the Netflix event and about the history of hotdogs overall, you can buy my book Raw Dog, The Naked Truth about hot Dogs, which will be available in paperback next year and is available in hardcover at this very moment. We'll see you again next week with an episode about Yes you Win. You have been heard. We're talking about Moo Dang Bye.
Speaker 7: Sixteenth Minute is a production of Whole Zone Media and Iheartwordtaps. It is written, posted, and produced by me Jamie Lastus executive producers are Sophie Lichterman and Robert Evans.
Speaker 12: The amazing Ian Johnson is our supervising.
Speaker 2: Producer and our editor. Our theme song is by Sad thirteen. Voice acting is from Brant Crater and Pet shout outs to our dog producer Anderson, my Kat's Flee and Casper and my pet rock Bird, who will outlive us all Bye.