Speaker 1: Welcome to Wired to Hunt's rut Fresh Radio, bringing you the latest reports from the whitetail woods, presented by First Light, creating proven versatile hunting apparel for the stand, saddle or blind. First Light Go farther, stay Longer, and now your hosts Case Smith and Tyler Jones.
Speaker 2: We are well into early season whitetail hunting, but ambition is not lost because hunters around the country remark how weather changes are increasing deer movement.
Speaker 3: This is rutfresh. Let's go what's going on? Everybody.
Speaker 4: Welcome to another edition of rut Fresh Radio. This is Week two, Week two of multiple weeks throughout the entire fallow winter that we're going to be doing this. We're talking to people from all over the country this week. We're trying to bring to you a lot of these deer seasons that are open that people think about, but also the ones that are a little more ambiguous. Case I feel like this is the first time it actually feels a little bit more like deer season.
Speaker 3: All summer, it's been blazing hart, it has been blazing hot.
Speaker 2: The recent addition of cool weather is like almost a new feeling because it's been so long.
Speaker 3: But never fear.
Speaker 2: First light has you covered whether it's hot or cold, to get you some first light gear.
Speaker 3: It's gear for deer. It is gear for deer. We're in here for the deer, for the deer. And who we're gonna hear from today? Oh man, just so many rhymes.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: We got a few people that are gonna we're gonna hearing from Greg Litzinger in Delaware. I don't even know that season was open yet.
Speaker 2: How big is Delaware? About the size of our county, I feel like it is about a county size. I feel like it's very small. I wanted to be like, man, where are you hunting? But you know, I wouldn't be hard to find it one day. So it's like deon, man, it ain't hard to find That's right. Lucas Psycho and North Dakota. He's a good friend of ours, optimist and uh, just a really good deer hunter. He's always on just big old and I ain't even talking about Michigan mature. I'm talking about some mature bucks, you know what I mean. This ain't two year olds.
Speaker 4: Christian Babcock he's getting over a food sickness of food poisoning, which I know how brtle that can be, but it's a good way to start your diet. He's out in Nebraska this week and he's been having some decent success, good sightings, good report for us. And then our old buddy, Brian Grossman. He's not old, He's just a buddy that has been a buddy for an old time.
Speaker 2: You know it was Spanish, you'd say Ola, buddy, like that kind of old buddy.
Speaker 4: I feel like there's a lot of people that put La in English too, you know, when they're trying to tie the short of old, you know, and they put the apostrophe, or instead of putting the apostrophe, they put a E at the end. It's Ola Olan grocery yelle. Brian's out in Georgia. So another Southern boy who man. He he puts a challenge on himself, you know, he's he's a part of an entity that knows a lot about managing deer. Yet he and he does that too, but he still really challenges himself on public land every year and has been really working hard to do that. He actually had some success this past week, so September deer doesn't he he does. Man, It's weird that Georgia is open in September. I feel like it's got to be just pretty much home for us, but just with a deer season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so hot. I don't know.
Speaker 2: There's a there's a trend nationally to have these earlier seasons, and I kind of wonder what that's driven by. I think it's pretty much economics. I would have massed. I mean, hunters want an opportunity at velvet deer, and that's kind of pretty apparent. But like, I don't know what a state's motivation is unless they have their like exceeding quotas or exceeding you know, the amount of deer that they're trying to have in a landscape. So they're just gonna open up more season outside of the travel thing, and sooner or later it's gonna kind of flip flop. As we see more and more of these states opening up more early seasons, it's gonna not be as special anymore. So you're gonna have less travel and it's like, well, it.
Speaker 4: Easier to find guys for refresh though, I guarantee you that that's right if you want your state to be refreshed on retfresh and.
Speaker 3: We're not hitting it.
Speaker 2: Let us know, because we try to make sure we hit every state in the country that has a white tailed deer season throughout the year. But these early seasons are kind of hard because I don't really know what's going on in Vermont Vermont, to tell you the truth, but especially.
Speaker 3: Now when Bernie is out of the main news, you know, I mean.
Speaker 4: There's a there's a way to get in touch with us too. Probably the best way would be just send an Instagram messages a message. So that's uh the element wild. So you can check that out if you if you follow Wired to Hunt, but you don't follow us, we're over there. If you send a message to Wired to Hunt, it will not get responded to Norm will it probably even get read. You know, I don't know I'm speaking from Mark, but I can promise you that, I can almost promise you we will not find out that your state needs to be highlighted if you send that.
Speaker 3: Message there, So Tyler, Yes, sir.
Speaker 2: The guys on the podcast today talk a lot about tactics remaining pretty similar, but weather change is making a difference on how many deer they observe. You yourself are I'm going to go and say likely to shoot a September buck this year, am I yes? Likeliness, their likeness is high. What pattern you know? This is called retfresh right, because people like to hunt the rut. We all realize the road is not going on in September. It's not lost on us, I promise guys. So in fact, September is about as far from the road as it gets outside.
Speaker 3: Of like may.
Speaker 2: Right, So what pattern do you expect to kill a deer on in September?
Speaker 3: Is it gonna better?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 3: Not in on on?
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, I man, I would say I'm going to kill a deer on a pattern that a lot of guys are hunting right now, which is bed to feed, bed to food, however you want to say it, And probably I expect to shoot a deer.
Speaker 3: In the evening headed to food. That's my that's my thought, and probably not corn but something else. Let me ask you a question. You said evening.
Speaker 2: It's because a lot of times early season evenings are kind of like sometimes the only time people hunt. I've hunted mornings and evenings, but it's because I've had a lot of room. I think the average hunter, if they're hunting this time, you may or may not have a ton of different areas to go to, especially if they're hunting private ground, So how apt are you to hunt or to write off mornings if you only have like a limited area, so you have one hundred acres to hunt, are you gonna hunt a morning?
Speaker 4: I think I think it would be more based on what the deer doing than how much room I have. I think, you know, generally speaking, the less room you have, probably you're probably right, you're probably on the right track there, But I definitely think that it would be more. I would think more about when is that deer most killable and or is he killable in the morning, as opposed to, you know, the number of acres. So I think, like I guess what I'm saying is I killed the deer October fourth on bed to feed nothing else. In a bachelor group with another nice eight point killed a ten point on public ground. They were I don't know what you know if there's a term for it, but I always call it back to bed food stage or staging, and so essentially deer all early season they'll leave these agfields and pretty early usually and then they'll get into cover and then they'll feed around for quite a while sometimes so they may not even move a lot, or they may still kind of browse through and move pretty good, which they were doing that morning. And you know, really what they're looking what you're looking at is like high Stem count high Ford count cover that a deer, it feels, you know, is pretty has got a good advantage of for the cover for what he likes for that time of year when he's not like stupid like they are on the rut, you know, and just crazy.
Speaker 3: And so you know you've.
Speaker 4: Got the cover aspect, but you also need something for them to browse on. So in this case, it was a lot of willows for the cover, I felt like, and a lot of just random I don't even know. It was in South Dakota. There's Forbes everywhere. That was a couple of years ago. So they were just browsing like crazy. This was so fat. So I think that's kind of what I look at more than ething, is like can I kill that deer in the morning? And so I knew where these deer were probably going to destinate the night before. I had made assumptions, but I hadn't actually seen these deer in this field, and so and then I put together that betting would be, you know whatever, a half mile away or something. So it's kind of my long winded answer to that. I guess it's good. Wind is good this time of year, especially long ones. Yeah, I mean, if it's still it's not good.
Speaker 2: Guys the little breeze to make sure that sin is going in the right direction, I think that to kind of go along with that and to kind of play off.
Speaker 3: The joke had just made. Early season.
Speaker 2: Deer are really patetrable and if you mess up that pattern, it could be a sad day for you. So don't go in there blowing your went in a sketchy direction or whatever, because they are just pretty sensitive this time of year. They have nothing else to do except to live. They're not trying to breed, they're not trying to fight, none of that stuff. They just want to live, so they will blow out.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: This is a good point man. In fact, those deer had been seen one of by one of our compotteries, I think maybe two days before or the day.
Speaker 3: Before, Yeah, and.
Speaker 4: Had gotten your wind I think at some point, right, yep, And they were they were not long ways away, but they were off that pattern for sure. They were onto a different pattern. And I didn't intend to go hunt this buck, but that's the buck. The two bachelor bucks that came in were the ones you had seen, Like.
Speaker 2: There's a decent distance from where I had seen them, and they winded and left out, not like freaking out or anything, you know, running.
Speaker 3: But they end. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So anyways, I think that's a good thing to keep in mind this early season. I'm excited to hear what the other guys around the country have to say, because it's interesting to me, honestly, is that around the country almost the same thing is happening everywhere right now, and as the the year starts to progress and fall starts to push down, we get to see the changes kind of happen for different hunters around the country. So it's an exciting time of year. And I say it almost every podcast right now. Der season is close. It's real close. In fact, some of you are having it dear season right So congratulations to you. I'm about to leave out on a top secret near mission myself and then go shoot the biggest elk of my life. It's gonna happen. Wow, Yeah, I'm calling dude, call it September. Well, I haven't shot very big Elk. I saw a few olk, but they're all, like you know, in the high two hundreds, so yeah, I can do better than that.
Speaker 3: I feel like you might have shot one that was bigger one time too.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: He lived over it though sadly I hate to bring it up. Well you did, but I did.
Speaker 4: But I just was thinking because you might end up seeing some of that footage here pretty soon.
Speaker 3: So uh yeah.
Speaker 2: By the way, guys, if you're listening today, there's an Element episode as well. Go check out that on our feed. But for now, let's get to here. You're what the guys around the country have to say about white Tail Bucks.
Speaker 4: Now on the phone, I've got my good friend Greg lit singer not to be confused with Ashley Simpson, the lip syncer. Greg, you've been hunting Delaware, man, how's how's that been?
Speaker 7: It was hot, yeah, hot and shifting winds, which makes for a fun time in the woods.
Speaker 4: You know, that makes it near impossible, man, the shifting winds thing. Those kind of still days or variable winds, man, can be really tough.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Two days we had good win and they were the best days of being the woods. You know, steady wind you ever seen, but that shifting wings, shifting warm winds are just it's tough.
Speaker 4: I wonder if the deer feel that, Like if a deer is like man, I got a consistent win, like it's instinctual more than this, but like, you know, I got something that I can stick my nose into and walk.
Speaker 7: You know, I think older bucks, yes, younger bucks probably not so much, but I think there's been around for as he wants a steady so much that he wins.
Speaker 4: Sure, so public land in Delaware, not a lot of people thinking about that that are at least across the US. And uh, it was hot and variable winds, but you still had some deer come by, right, Yeah.
Speaker 7: I was on deer almost every morning. Every time I went out, I had deer almost in range and three three four times out there I could have I could have killed some does. But you know, foliage and stick sometimes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this time here can be tough. Did you what kind of patterns were you basing your hunting sets on?
Speaker 7: Fifty yards off? You know, bean fields? Cornfields?
Speaker 3: Cool?
Speaker 7: I think people sleep on the corn when there's beans around. But I get the same pattern.
Speaker 3: Deer going the food.
Speaker 7: They're not gonna walk the mile to get beans and there's corn right there, you know, m hm.
Speaker 2: As you know, the months pushing on here, I feel like the bachelor groups are going to start to spread out.
Speaker 3: Did you see bucks in bachelor groups?
Speaker 2: Do you feel like they were kind of loaners?
Speaker 7: My buddy seen them in groups and I started noticing some rub and scrapes that are they're not ready to break off some.
Speaker 3: Of these boats.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, still a velvet half and half. Yeah, yeah, gotcha. So I guess as you as you look at the next week and maybe weather, maybe moon, maybe you know, even consistent winds, Like you said, if it's more consistent, what are there anything? Is there anything to look up like forward to Is it gonna be better or worse? It's the same. Are you gonna switch patternings?
Speaker 7: I think it's gonna be better because the temperature is going.
Speaker 3: To be more favorable for better winds.
Speaker 7: Okay, we had that warm, warm weather and variable winds and then like the dreaded east wind it's it's I don't see a lot of big deering east wims personally.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: When you've got a big system like out in the Atlantic over there, does that like you know, there's a huge hurricane it's building. Do you feel like that gives you good consistent weather or is that gonna be something that makes it volatile?
Speaker 7: If it if it makes it up in full force, and yeah, you can get some some consistency four a day or two out of it.
Speaker 3: Four it turns the crap.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, So are you are you changing your patterns the way you're hunting or what you're hunting?
Speaker 3: What pattern you're hunting on.
Speaker 5: The food?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Okay, I got you.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so not so close to the food in the evening.
Speaker 5: You know, I might back off.
Speaker 7: One hundred and fifty yards, but I don't know if he's going to break your daylight. You know, I prefer to shoot him an hour before I don't. I'm not a fan of gray light as I get older because my vision isn't the best. So I like to shoot them a little bit before dark.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, for sure.
Speaker 2: Do you uh, I know off air will go We're talking a little bit. You said that you got to a field or an area and you were already on the field early. Is that something that you've been noticing lately or and you having to adjust kind of when you hit in the woods.
Speaker 7: Ye, usually I find that when the red moons. I'm not I don't fully believe in the red moon, but some in season, like early season, before pressure kicks in, they were saying that deer were gonna be on the field edge at like five o'clock and five o'clock.
Speaker 3: The deer are pouring out.
Speaker 2: So there's something to it for sure. If that's the case, man, that's cool. As you look forward to the next week here, if you had to rate the buck movement on a scale of one to ten, what do you think that looks like.
Speaker 3: It's gonna get better?
Speaker 7: I won't give it.
Speaker 3: Probably a six, all right, dude. Yeah, six is encouraged the time. It works every time. Man.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, thanks for giving us the report.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 4: I appreciate you man, as a friend and as a fellow hunter. Man, I know you you are worth your salt.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 4: You do a good job and uh and you get after the big old bucks. Yeah dude, so uh anyway, I hopefully get talk to you again this year. But if not, man, h I hope you get after him and kill some big bucks there in Delaware and everywhere else.
Speaker 3: Same with same as you guys. Save to you guys.
Speaker 4: Thanks man, Now on the phone, Lucas Psycho, good buddy of ours from North Dakota. He's uh, he's been hunting as usual and uh, bucks tend to go down around you.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 3: What else has been going on?
Speaker 6: Not much, man, just just wrapped up a deer camp with the guys and knocked down a couple of bucks and one particularly pretty big one and and uh yeah, fixing to go out this evening.
Speaker 4: Here, Dude, you are a big buck magnet. Dude, I don't understand it.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 6: Just like as I'll say this, I'm statistically lucky.
Speaker 4: Well, I would say, statistically you're pretty good deer hunter probably, you know. But uh, anyway, man, what'd y'all so you had two deer go down and camp?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 4: Was there any commonalities between how you guys were able to take them, Like what patterns you're hunting them on or whatever? Yeah?
Speaker 6: Yeah, just strictly bed to bet to you know, bed to food, right.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Alf Alfa fields. Elf alfa fields have been hot. You know, that's the that's the green right now up here. So anyway, we got alf alfa fields, we've been hitting those, hitting those hard and hunting the transition areas for bead to food. So you know, mornings have been hotter than been the evenings for for the most part. Uh, they generally are, especially when we get we got some ninety degree tempts there over opening week and almost almost one hundred one day, and uh so evening movement was almost nothing.
Speaker 3: And then but what.
Speaker 6: That does do over around here seems like the mornings they they moved a little bit later on those hot days.
Speaker 2: So dude, I love that strategy. That's the thing that I'll love to do too. I love morning's early season. And one of the things I've seen you do a lot is uh like, find a buck and move in on him. Is that still what y'all are doing kind of here in this early season or are you hunting?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Absolutely, we you know, we uh we had we had to make a make a good a good move on one of the bucks, and.
Speaker 3: Uh it took us.
Speaker 6: It took us three four days to figure it out, but we finally figured it out and got in on him and he just you know, just so happened to walk to my buddy rather than me, which is just fine because that's what we're out there for, is we're out there to share it share it with the guys we want to share with, you know, so for sure, So that's that's what it's all belt. So he smacked him hard, shot him, and Uh, what.
Speaker 2: Shit of the bucks where you're at have shared their velvet so far?
Speaker 3: Do you think? What's that? What percentage of the bucks where you're at have shared their velvet so far? Do you think?
Speaker 6: Uh? Well, by right now we're probably looking at majority. Yeah, So it was it was like fifty percent through the week, it seemed like though. So the one buck we the one buck my buddy Dustin got was was vent full velvet, and then uh, the one that my buddy, my other buddy got on the sixth was pretty much out cool.
Speaker 4: So in the next week or so, are they still is do you still feel like you're gonna because I know when we first got on, you were talking to me about off air about you're gonna be getting back after him again. Are they gonna still be doing the same type of things, bed to feed, same type of betting and and also probably on alfalfa or you think there's gonna be some sort of switch.
Speaker 3: Nope, I think we're gonna stay stay the same.
Speaker 8: As far as.
Speaker 6: Movement, patterns for for the next few weeks here. For sure, this week, like it's seventy degrees now, so and it's supposed to stay stay seventy. A little bit of rain moving through here this weekend, so it's uh it's gonna be good.
Speaker 3: And uh it looks like we're.
Speaker 6: Still gonna warm up in like the eighties this next coming week here, uh so, which is great because one thing that sucks is if you just have stagnant weather patterns, So just deer get a little bit.
Speaker 8: Stagnant, kind of almost like they're bored.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so, uh, you know, we get this this up and down movements, whether it's even hot super hot to super cool and off. I'll take it as long as that that that that weather pattern is changing, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so with the impending weather change coming, if you had to rate what you think the next week is going to be like on a scale of one to ten, what do you think that's gonna look like for buck movement.
Speaker 6: I think we're gonna be sitting right close to it, right around an eight nine ground here. I think you're gonna you're gonna you're gonna have some good opportunities and and and uh you know, you're gonna move really well for at least the next four or five days for sure, and then we're gonna get a change and wins likely with that that a d degree temps will get some south. So what it does too, it opens up all these different areas to hunt, you know, with the other wins that you generally don't have. So you know, it gives you those, you know, opportunities to move in on stuff that you you haven't been to. So those first sit hunts are are you know that those are gonna be very valued available for guys.
Speaker 3: So yeah, dude, you're so good at this.
Speaker 8: Man.
Speaker 4: I just I appreciate you having on the phone and spending time with us man and just putting some wisdom into the podcast. And uh, you know, appreciate your energy, dude. You're always such an optimistic dude and just full energy.
Speaker 3: Man. So I hope you uh, I hope you guys have a great season.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 3: Hell yeah you too. You guys too.
Speaker 5: You know, I always appreciate chatting.
Speaker 3: With you guys.
Speaker 2: All right, now, I've got our buddy Brian Grossman from the NDA and he has been doing a little early season hunting in the Great State of Georgia brin.
Speaker 3: What's going on?
Speaker 9: Oh man, a whole lot just uh yeah, enjoying the season, finally being open.
Speaker 3: That's good man.
Speaker 2: What's better than Georgia the hunting, the dogs or the braves.
Speaker 5: Oh, it's it's the hunting for me.
Speaker 3: Oh that's good. That's cool. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So you've been out in the early season. You had some success. Shot you at dough with a recurve. That's awesome.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 3: What what kind of pattern were you hunting when you're out there?
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's uh, it's it's pretty tough right now because we're not I'm not seeing anything in the way of acorns dropping. Still a little early to I guess to see what's gonna.
Speaker 5: Happen with those. But uh, you know, there are.
Speaker 9: Some things like for simmons and muscadines that that you can on this time of year. You know, if you can find them and find some that are that are being here, you know, that's that's always a pretty good bet. But for the most part, it seems like, at least where I'm at, they're kind of still on that that summer browse pattern. You know, anything anything green out there, you know, forbes, shrubs, tree leaves, you know, all all that kind of stuff that that seems to be where it's at right now, which, uh, which which can be pretty tough.
Speaker 5: Down here, because there's there's plenty of that to go around.
Speaker 4: I heard that, man, So are you setting up on you know, habitat transitions or what are you looking at when it comes to I mean, if you've got a bunch of forbes around, what are you what are you really keying in on? What's the limited resource there?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 9: I mean right now, until I do start finding that that concentrated feed sign, I'm just sticking to cover, you know, good heavy cover, trying to find you know, those entrances and exit routes kind of on the periphery of good cover and uh and you know, set up on that. It's it's just hard to peg down a food source, you know. I'm trying to hunt in the vicinity, you know, with them feeding on forbes and greenery and that kind of stuff. You know, clearcuts are always a great bet. You know, thin pines around here where they've really thinned the pines back and you get a good understore growth or or you know, any any place where some kind of natural opening you know, in the woods with that understore growth can can be a good spot.
Speaker 8: For sure.
Speaker 2: There's a little bit of cool weather and some precipitous precipitation in the forecast for a lot of the country right now.
Speaker 3: Is that something you got in Georgia coming up here too?
Speaker 9: It is going to cool down a little bit for Georgia, I guess, you know, starting I think maybe later this week, uh, in the in more more low eighties as opposed to like you know, upra eighties nineties that we've been having, so that will definitely be welcome. Not a whole lot of rain in the forecast for where I'm at. I'm actually finally finally worked up a about a three quarter acre food plot here on my place, which I'm excited about. But yeah, ever since I worked the ground up, there's no rain has happened and no rains in sight, so I'm still kind of waiting to put the seed down for that.
Speaker 3: Shoot, man, Yeah, that's that. If there's hard and fall from the sky, it's hard to get it there sometimes.
Speaker 9: Yeah, No, no no sense in putting the seed down until they you know, start to see some rain in that far.
Speaker 2: Are you prioritizing those cool days as the days you're trying to get out in the woods, or you just kind of taking it easy until the season kind of progresses on.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean I'm a I'm an equal opportunity type hunter. I'm getting out anytime I can, regardless of weather.
Speaker 5: But yeah, I certainly man.
Speaker 9: If I see it's going to be, you know, a good cooler day, I want to be out there for sure, Not not necessarily just because deer movement, but just because it's it's a more comfortable time to be out there.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So going into the next week, does anything change? You still hunt and cover. Mean, you're not gonna get any rain, so you're not gonna see any food, food plotting or anything like that. If you were to go hunting this next week, is it the same type of scenario or are you're gonna change things up a little bit.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean I'll probably still be sticking the cover, but every time I'm out there, I'm gonna be kind of scout my way in, you know, looking for uh, for that feed sign, because you know it's only only a matter of time for for some make corns start hitting the ground and uh, you know, those those patterns start shifting a little bit, so it's always always looking for that most recent sign.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So on a scale of one to ten, what would you assume buck movement is going to be like next week?
Speaker 9: You know, i'd probably just in general for this time of year, probably put it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't know six something like that.
Speaker 9: I mean, I mean, you know, the deer gonna move regardless, they're gonna move. It's just a matter of where and being there. But like I said, with the on that summer feed pattern, they don't they don't have to move around a lot because of.
Speaker 5: The cover and the food source are.
Speaker 9: Kind of one of the save ye yeah, gotcha. Yeah, i'd say kind of mid range there.
Speaker 4: Awesome, man, Well, we appreciate your time. I hope you get after him in Georgia once it starts cooling down. I hope you get rain Man. And we're praying for the same here. So uh, we'll talk to you later on the season. Brian, All right, man, sounds good. You gotta be safe out there all right now? I have Christian Babcock from Hunter's Advantage. What's going on, dude?
Speaker 8: Hey, how's it going guys? Good to talk to you again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're good. Man, we're just chilling. You know.
Speaker 4: We got a cold front and things are feeling like Dearie out there. But there's no season opening Texas. You know, there's only a few states open right now, one of which is Nebraska, which is where you have been. And I hear there's something in the water and the food out there.
Speaker 5: You're not lying.
Speaker 8: There a good, good battle with some whitetail bucks and Mulei's and then food poisoning too. It's kind of a trifecta. Are you sure fever it might have been? It might have been, guys, I'm not sure.
Speaker 3: Well, so how'd the trip go, man?
Speaker 4: I I'm kind of interested in what they were doing this last week out there.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's been a couple of days over in kind of the western portion of the state and then moved over to more of the mixture of white Tail and Mewley country. But we saw some pretty good buck movement in the middle, you know, the early mornings and late evenings like you'd expect kind of in September, and it was awesome. We saw some good cold fronts too up there. I mean many days with lows in the fifties, which for someone that lives in Texas, like you guys, is a is kind of wildest part of the year. But it was.
Speaker 3: It was a good hunt, man.
Speaker 2: That is one of the nice things about going north, you know for the early season. Is that nice whether you get when you're out there.
Speaker 3: Uh, you know, in the.
Speaker 2: Past, especially the past few years, Nebraska's really suffered from drought. This year has been a little better, but you know, later towards the end of the summer it still got really dry that it seemed like a lot of the crops were in or were there some foul fields around.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it seemed the majority of the stuff we were seeing was in standing corn right now, and then a lot of a cut and bailed alfalfa, which seemed to be where a lot of those deer were spending their time.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Man, that's a good thing to key in on. Did you feel like that alfalfa was better in the morning or the evening or and was the corn the inverse of that?
Speaker 8: Yeah, the standing corn, we saw some deer around it in the evenings, but you know, they get into that stuff and kind of just disappear. So it seemed like the morning and the evening was pretty consistent on the alfalfa, and we had pretty good luck getting in between that on on private and then some of those deep cuts that are filled with cedars. It seem, you know, kind of getting them on bed to feed filter and back between food and bedding and those deep cuts, and we saw some pretty good activity doing that.
Speaker 4: Gotcha, so are you would you feel like you're sitting closer to betting or closer to the food.
Speaker 8: Closer to betting because there, you know, most of the food that was on the public with standing corn, and that's kind of a jungle to try to hunt in and around this time of year. So we were key and him where I'm betting, I'd.
Speaker 4: Say, okay, So you know, if you were going to be there this next week, would you be doing more of the same or do you think things are going to change it all?
Speaker 8: I'd be doing probably the exact same thing we were doing this week. Yeah, trying to get them going back to betting off of food. That seemed to be a pretty good tactic. I mean, there were several instances where me and my buddy Gabe saw a deer, you know, under one hundred and fifty yards and then once you get in that country and you get an opportunity, you know, and it's just kind of up to you to steal the deal from there. So we were in the chips, you know, between the food poisoning and that. But that's exactly I'd do it again, just this time with a good stomach.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I don't blame you. Man.
Speaker 2: So were you spend a lot of time like on the ground spot and stalking whitetail or do you feel like setting up ambush doll is a better thing to go right now?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 8: What I love about that country is it's open and you know, you can really see quite a way. So we spend a lot good amount of time sitting up on you know, ledges and just glassing and trying to make moves from there. I'm sure somebody could. I just know that I didn't feel like going out there and using a saw for an hour on a cedar tree. So that just sounded more my style with Spot and stock this week.
Speaker 2: It's a good way to sweat it up, even if it is a kind of career, you know, man, looking forward.
Speaker 3: Here, do you feel like the buck movement's going to be nice?
Speaker 2: You know, you said things are gonna be kind of consistent and then what would you rate that on a scale of one to ten?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I saw on the next week, there's a few days with showers that are going to be losing the forties. I think I you'd see some pretty good buck movement, maybe extending through the day, not just the first thirty minutes to an hour of light. If I was to go back this next week, and I'd be pretty excited about it. Sadly I'm not, but i'd be pumped up I was going back next week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's cool.
Speaker 2: So what would you rate it on a scale of one to ten for buck movement for next week?
Speaker 8: Probably probably a four, which I would have rated the last last week. Maybe a two. You know, it's still early season hunting, but there's plenty of opportunity out there.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I appreciate the realistic approach on that too. A four is still a pretty good day in the whitetail woods Man. So that's a good report, dude. We appreciate the time, and I'm glad you're feeling better because I know that food poison and stuff's rough, dude, and I hope that you don't have to encounter any more of that adversity throughout the season. You've had enough so far, so from here on as smooth sailing.
Speaker 8: Right, that's right, Peton mind is here we go?
Speaker 3: It sounds great man. Well we'll talk to you again.
Speaker 8: See all right, thanks guys.
Speaker 2: Really appreciate those guys and all the solid reports from around the country. There's a lot of optimism right now, and you should be optimistic too if you're not, and you need to maybe hone up on some of your skills.
Speaker 3: There's a really cool.
Speaker 2: Article from Tony Peterson on effective bino use for hunting white tailed deer on the Wired to Hunt feed. And by the way, episode three of One Week of November comes out this week. We'll link to that stuff below. Also check out the podcast.
Speaker 3: If you haven't, you get to hear a lot about our day today.
Speaker 2: There will be a new episode of that today. If you're listening to this on Wednesday, this has been rut fresh. Remember keep it fresh.