Speaker 1: Welcome to the Ravens Press Pass podcast. It is Monday, July twenty ninth. The Ravens continued with training camp today and after practice we had a chance to hear from head coach John Harbaugh.
Speaker 2: Okay, good to see everybody. Appreciate you being here once again. Enthusiastic crowd, you can hear the guy. The people got a bunch of football teams here and kids are here everywhere, so we're enjoying that. And they were allowed during practice. Good practice, tough practice, hot, and the guys did a good job working through it and we got got some good work done.
Speaker 3: What questions you have?
Speaker 4: What does a lot you ever think about? Maybe we'll cut off the period to year like that. Did any guys try to perforate you.
Speaker 3: No coaches to going train? Yeah? I think Isaiah's doing a really good job.
Speaker 2: You know, he's uh, he's a guy that understands how to fight through these kind of days. You know, his legs are a little tired, focuses on technique, tries to lock in on his assignment, and you know, had a good day as a result. So it's one of the things you try to get out of a day like this.
Speaker 3: John have you got any sense Sean Bacon's okay or this stuff? Yeah, I don't think it's a serious thing. It's kind of a more soreness steal.
Speaker 2: So they're took him to be safe.
Speaker 3: Same thing, same kind of thing and little things.
Speaker 5: I want to probably approach you with an abundance of caution.
Speaker 2: Yeah, help, Yeah, kind of ramping him up now, you know, more and more reps, more and more drills.
Speaker 5: Won't be long before you'll see him in one on ones.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 5: He did.
Speaker 3: He's a lot of energy.
Speaker 5: Looks good out there.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 2: I think we are in some guys some cases not the whole thing. You know, it's probably gonna be as we go.
Speaker 5: Once we get to the Eagles game.
Speaker 2: And I think the game itself is important to you know, you want to see what you see in practice confirmed at least in a game, if somebody is really on track, and then the other guys will show up in the game and we'll see what they can do. So we're on pace in some cases and other cases not. But that that was probably would be the ideal, you know, and if it happens that way, great, But we still got there, still a lot.
Speaker 3: Of time between then and now.
Speaker 6: That's like once.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure a much so he killed us the thing, but that could be like a.
Speaker 2: You know, I think with all of our players, all of our employees, I mean, I get these physicals every year.
Speaker 3: They do a great job.
Speaker 2: When they stopped giving me my physical every year, I'm gonna start worrying. You know, it's like, don't you care anymore? So Lamar gets tested, Mark gets tested. All of our guys get tested thoroughly, especially when you're sick, so they look at every possibility.
Speaker 3: Tell me, if you've got.
Speaker 7: A mount of bodies in your secondary you can see you're constantly rotating all these guys.
Speaker 3: How deep an soon you're a bench.
Speaker 4: In terms of these secondary guys, I feel.
Speaker 3: Like we're playing them.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 2: It's a great point in question because I feel like we're very deep in the back end, you know, and I think we're deep throughout our team. But we've got a lot of guys, We've got a lot of confidence, and even some guys that aren't practicing.
Speaker 3: I mean TJ.
Speaker 2: Tampa, you haven't even seen out there with the sport Turney and he'll be back in a.
Speaker 5: Couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: So I just want to see those guys keep doing well, keep growing, keep getting better, and see where it takes us.
Speaker 1: We also talk with quarterback Lamar Jackson. He was sidelined at the start of training camp because of an illness, but he was back on the practice field today. He said he felt wonderful out there. Here's what he had to say about missing that time and also his expectations and thoughts about the upcoming season.
Speaker 3: How are you feel feeling wonderful Man? Good to be back back out my guys, back with the coaching staff. Good to be back in August man football season? You feel like he feelings like you feel? You feel good, James, feel good? What happened when they hit you don't know. I kind of just get a bug. You know, you really never know when the buck when the bug hits you. But got hit the bug. But I'm good now. I feel like this. How impressed here? I mean ever since day one, you know, I just seen the potentially I was likely, and he showed each and every day, you know, each and every day he wanted to be a better player. And then you know you got a guy like marking his room, who's showing on the roads and stuff like that. And him being himself at the same time. It's just magic happens. And he just gotta keep going to keep keep bringing that each and every day and keep trying to be a better player. When you are.
Speaker 8: For that period of time, how do you keep yourself?
Speaker 4: You know, so when you come out and run it's good.
Speaker 3: I mean just because I was down and I'm I'm still locked in, you know, I know, I know what what what time is it right now? You know it's it's camp time, you know. So with me going down for a couple of days, my mom was still in it, like I gotta hurry up and get better so I can be out with my guys. Sous. It's how you drove out. So I wasn't. I wasn't penitential to it, you know, I was. I was out, So I wasn't really penitenttion to it. Man, But I appreciate that coming from coach, And how do you in your mind, how do you grow it out? Keep doing what I'm doing, keep trying to get better. They keep trying to win these games, keep trying to reach that goal.
Speaker 2: Alright, what you've always had your back, because that is that's how praise.
Speaker 3: It's good y'all just messed me up. He was, go ahead. First, we know it's a couple of lists the prays on the offensive line.
Speaker 2: What what do you saying from the offensive line, these.
Speaker 3: Guys are fighting something of those spots. What are you saying from the offensive line. We know it's three spots kind of open for prayers right now, what are you saying that these guys are fighting for? Those guys just getting after you know, they busting the tail out there, trying to get better, you know, trying to trying to win the position. I really can't pattention to them because I'm trying to pettest to the defense, see what they're doing, seeing what they giving me, you know, just trying to get the ball out of my hands. So, but for what I do see, guys are fighting, they busted tail. I appreciate it. So I think I did the right thing. Yeah, coach is always had it back.
Speaker 8: I don't go the thing I mean that's the toss the round place.
Speaker 3: Then go Yeah, I'm not I'm not the go tom Brady to goat, Tom Brady to goat. So he said something like that. Motivation, Yeah, I believe that's motivation. I appreciate that. You know, I'm still still on my way. Yeah, it's within plays, you know, it's inside of the locker room. We're talking about players. That's that's went on on the field, telling them what I'm saying for defenses and saying why I see he should be you know, on the field, things like that, just talking about ball, talking ball and playing a game sometimes too, you know that Bill. Chemistry and communication as well. We saw on Saturday when you came back. I saw everybody reacting the.
Speaker 7: Kids you're missing if you is it on your mind that like everybody's waiting for you, for you.
Speaker 3: No, I'm not thinking they're missing. They're missing me. I'm missing them. So I'm trying to get back out to those guys and you know, just be happy around my teammates. That's all, man. But them missing me, the kids missing me.
Speaker 5: I love it.
Speaker 3: I love it all missing.
Speaker 5: And trying.
Speaker 3: At this point when the offense because when everybody were absolutely you know, I was here early on in voluntary, so that helped out a little bit, you know, so me being down and it really then to slow me down, you know, just for me not being on my guys. You know, each and every day. I'll take that as a little slow down. But other than that, we was pretty good. It seems like illness more than entry. Illnesses kind of kept you out of them some practices over the years. Have you kind of thought your wife? Yeah, man, I'll be thinking that sometimes because in Lortleville, I never got sick. I never was sick, you know, but comes and goals. Yeah, you don't think it's anything. It's not like something like pronic or anything like that.
Speaker 5: On going.
Speaker 3: No, doctor jamis, No, I don't think anything. I'm concerned about you. I appreciate that.
Speaker 8: I'm gonna play out lawyer the whole thing with Troy a man and.
Speaker 3: About We're gonna keep it football. We're gonna keep this about football story. That's outside noise. That's outside noise. I'm sticking it with Count. We're talking about Count football. That's it, not else. Very comfortable. We're talking a lot inside the building, saying things on the field, talking to coach, you know, talking to the guys, uh, making checks here and there. I'm getting very comfortable with the system.
Speaker 5: Very comfortable.
Speaker 4: We are another good pass out there today.
Speaker 3: Imagine you're too You think could be his computer. I always tell you guys, this guy's the limit. You know, I really don't know what his potential can be. He showed. I believe he showed day and day out. You know what type of player he is and as he as he gets older mature the time of TEL, I think.
Speaker 4: He's mentioned that as a championship teams you spoke, that's like, what went into that and what why?
Speaker 3: Why do people want to do that? Because I just know how how important it is to him, you know that moment, how important it is to all of us, and you know how people would be you know about what we're on during the game, but all of us play a part as the team spore at the end of the day. And I was let him know that you.
Speaker 4: Coming out for a second and since you've been an all point business for you.
Speaker 3: Super Bowl kind of the last check box in your mind, at least because the media goals that you have for yourself. I mean, that's been the first check box for me since twenty eighteen. You know, I said that April twenty sixth, whenever we were drafted. Whenever I was drafted, I said that, you know, and I meant that, but you know, this the just the highest level of this of this game. You know we played, so you got to go out a champion. That's what I want to be labeled as a champion, you know, not just MVP here and there, Like, I want to be a champion. Yer health quickly.
Speaker 5: Else this morning?
Speaker 3: Okay, I had that was a real question. I was really actually a question. I didn't say it again.
Speaker 2: So how long is it to take care of your health?
Speaker 5: Quick lays her earr Trust a quarterback.
Speaker 3: You see, Oh man, it was pretty easy. I'm sending him attack the ball. I'm seeing him when I'm when the cornerback has outside leverage on the outbreaking route, he's dropping him. He's winning off back. He's just had my trust. Man, him catching the ball and doing what you do. That's all the quarterback want.
Speaker 5: A lot of.
Speaker 2: You, I know, you don't want to be fake anything about it.
Speaker 6: That me like, hey, I forgot a lot of people play I.
Speaker 5: Could have.
Speaker 3: Ocasion is the key, you know, only a few quarterbacks you want to want to spit Bowl In the last few years. You know a lot of people have haven't won it, you know, But I'm focusing on me and I just want that really bad, you know, So I just focus on what I can control and go from there.
Speaker 5: You just look like winning the LEA.
Speaker 3: I was telling him slow it down a bit. They was flying around, got guys just flying around doing what they're supposed to do. But then I was also talking trash to him, you know, just I believe iron shopping is iron, you know. And we got one of the best defenses in the league. So me just talking trash to those guys, those guys talking trash to us, and we're just going after each other. I believe that that's what builds a great team.
Speaker 5: I feel like, yeah, I'm all.
Speaker 3: In him through Yo, Marlin. I told him to get his hands right. That's why I'm study throing intersessions to him. He dropped a few last years, so I'm hoping that's helping him out. Like he was asking, just what you've seen from Zac? What's the character?
Speaker 9: Six times?
Speaker 3: Those guys like the throw back Ravens defense. You know, just blood shit. You know a lot of smack talk, a lot of big hits. We shitting all from my defense. You know, guys actually tackling a little bit out there. I don't think we should be, but we're looking good, man. I'm loving it.
Speaker 1: Last week, we heard from left tackle Ronnie Stanley, who's clearly motivated going into this year.
Speaker 9: Sorry to keep you guys waging. I had a stretch man. I'm sick of cramping. Yeah, you know, I'm trying to get a good stretch here after every practice. You know, I think it's it's the right time to get a good stretch when you're already, you know, pretty warm.
Speaker 6: What was this practice like, I mean it felt hot to us and we were trying to find the shape.
Speaker 9: It was a grinder today. You know, it was just one of those days, you know, one of those camp days, call it the dog days, you know, so just one of those days you go through and you know we got better today as a team, that's for sure.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there's obviously a lot of attention on this offensive line with all the starters that you guys are replacing. How much of that kind of outside perception, the noise do you pay attention to?
Speaker 9: Absolutely none, Personally, I'm pretty sure you know, my guys in the room are the same way. Having new guys in the line, that's nothing new to Baltimore Ravens. You know, I think every year played with at least a couple of new guys every year or so. This is the time where we're building our chemistry and getting better as a unit.
Speaker 6: How much does the Olphins playing kind of put on its back? I mean, if Lamar is protected, if the blocking is there for the run game, it all kind of breaks down. So you know, it's it's imperative for this offense flend play a high level. Is that kind of the mantra in this room?
Speaker 3: In your room?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean that's always the mantra. We know, we're the we're the start of it all. We're the tip of the spear, so us and the D line, we're the ones send the line. So we set the tone on both sides of the ball, and you know, we take pride in that and knowing that we can help LJ make, you know, all these fantastic plays that he does, and we can make these things you know, easier for him, give him less anxiety to where he can really perform at you know, the highest levels.
Speaker 8: All right, I've seen you talking to Andrew in the offensive line corner there and seems like.
Speaker 3: You maybe are mentoring a little bit. Can talk about your relationship with.
Speaker 9: I think Andrew's great. I mean ever since he's gotten here. You know, he's been a student of the game and just been trying to learn even the times he couldn't really be on the field in practice, he's been in all the meetings, he's been here throughout all the off season, and you know, I come out, I'm very impressed with how fast he's learning things, how fast he's getting up to the speed of the game. You know, how good of a shape he's in and everything is, you know, moving really fast forward. But he's also adjusting really fast, and he's getting better and better every days.
Speaker 8: Of stunt handles and whatnot.
Speaker 3: Tackle on your side, has.
Speaker 5: He been good with those?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 9: I think you know there's going to be struggles and you know, passing off twists, and that's why defensive line run those twists because we have to be on the same page tackling guard. And every single time we've run it every day he's getting better and better and gives me confidence as a TI knowing that you know, the guard's going to make sure he's stopping the penetration vice versa. You know, each way it comes.
Speaker 8: Is there any kind of kinship with with with Andrew, with you having had a season where you basically to miss most of it because of injury, and obviously him coming off of that with the ACL. Is there any kind of extra you know round there for you guys to build along?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean I feel like if there was that probably happened during his injury. You know, it's probably more when he was going through the rehab process. But now it's we're just talking about football. We're not really talking about injuries, and he's not complaining about anything. He's been full go. You know, I think everything's been good from that perspective. But yeah, right now we've just been focused on football.
Speaker 6: How important has it been for you personally to be out here every day practicing consistently?
Speaker 9: That's been great, you know, just being able to come out here. You know, I go through the same sorenesses as everyone, but to be able to come out here and you know, work through it and be able to perform day after day, you know, in these hot days against you know, our great defense is is it's very affirming to me.
Speaker 6: Reaffirming to me, you're a motivated guy after last year and the injuries and all this stuff. I mean, would you is it fair to say that this is the most motivated that you've been.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I would say that's pretty fair. I mean, I think the last couple of years have not been my best and I haven't really been happy about it, you know, in a long since, a long time, you know, since I can remember as a football player. So I feel like I have a lot to prove to myself and just just be the player I know I can be. And you know, they say there's no testimony without a test so I'm very fortunate to just have the opportunity to prove myself and to prove that what I know I can do.
Speaker 8: Last year, the last four ball games in particular, LOO because play was a significant notch. I thought from the previous places to concluding the playoffs, I'm fucking about now can.
Speaker 5: You build off that?
Speaker 8: Is that something that you felt too in terms of your play getting back to a securely high level of the very end of the season.
Speaker 9: I definitely felt felt to get better, but still not to the level where you know, I'm comfortable where I come out of the game feeling. You know, I feel like I played at the level that I'm capable of. So I still thought there was room to improve in that aspect, and you know, last year was tough, just battling through you know, multitude of injuries and whatnot, and you know, things happen as part of the game. But right now everything that was I was feeling last year is not feeling. So it's it's been good.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 9: It's just like I said, just having the normal you know, sorenesses and aches. But other than that, you know, everything is just pretty solid.
Speaker 6: In terms of like feeling like you're playing up to your potential. I know there's only practice, but it's been if you've kind of practices, do you feel like you're kind of playing past that point last year? Oh?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I feel like I'm already playing better than I was at any point last.
Speaker 5: Year for sure.
Speaker 6: The biggest headaches to block out there in practice.
Speaker 9: I mean, Dafe is always a headache, Metabik is always a headache.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 9: You know, you got Jabbo on the outside, you got Kyle on the outside. You know, those guys are always you know, they create different problems. They're they're all great at different things, you know, and you know they got a great coach there, you know, giving them great advice. So it's been good. You know, it's been good to get all these reps and just learn from each each rep.
Speaker 8: How or is this part of camp for a guy like Roger? You know, how to make that jump from you pack twelve football to the NFL football and seeing guys in paths?
Speaker 6: What's it?
Speaker 3: What's it like? Right hand?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 9: You know he's going through, you know, those same things that any rookie would go through, just adjusting to the speed, you know, and you know, learning the new plays and whatnot. And as those things come along, you know, the game will just slow down for him. But you know, all in all, Rogers are pro. He's a pro football player and he definitely belongs in the NFL. You know, I see it and the way he prepares, the way he thinks about the game, his IQ and just as tanasty, the ways you know, not not as not scared to go after blocks, and he does it in a controlled way.
Speaker 8: Is is ballhawk Marlin Humphrey any different in the locker room than than non ball Paul hawk went.
Speaker 9: I think Martin Humphrey is the most authentic person you'll ever meet. Wherever you see from him, That's how he is all the time.
Speaker 1: That was left tackle Ronnie Stanley also head over to the lounge podcast feed for more than in depth breakdown of everything happening over the course of training camp. Hit that subscribe button here and on the lounge feed as well. Thanks for listening. We'll be back with you tomorrow