Speaker 1: Hey, thanks for listening to the Covino and Rich podcast.
Speaker 2: Be sure to catch us live every weekday from five to seven Eastern to to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 3: Find your local station for Convino Rich at Foxsports Radio dot com, or stream us live every day on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 4: It's like searching FSR.
Speaker 3: Hey, what's up, buds?
Speaker 5: Hey?
Speaker 2: Hey, Hey CNR FSSR can't wait. Someday we head the Santa Clara bringing all this Super Bowl fun to you, So we'll be out there. We hope to see you out there. If not, be tuning in for sure, you could watch what you hear right now at Covino and Rich FSR on YouTube. Thanks for joining the fun. We're broadcasting live from the Fox Sports Radio studio. Facing a peak season, looking for a new team member. Workforce solutions from Express Employment Professionals make hiring easy. Visit expresspros dot com, find an office and see how Express can help you hire smarter and faster.
Speaker 1: At CNR, we be rocking out. Let's go man.
Speaker 3: So Bill Belichick, we talked about it yesterday. I talked a little today about how it's just wild to think that if he's left out first go around. I think the interesting question is does Brady get that same treatment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you follow the same logic, then he shouldn't.
Speaker 2: Right, But that would be ridiculous, And that's what makes this whole Belichick thing ridiculous. But it does make you think, right because clearly the voters didn't forget. And man, it really is a weird story because there's so many ways to look at it. As Rob Parker said, you know, cheating is cheating. He is he supposed to get that pass? So is there integrity involved here?
Speaker 3: Is God? I think it's attention seeking. I think it's an attention seeking cowardly has been used a lot. Let me, random reporter with not much pull on the regular, let me inject myself into the story even more by voting no. It's like, like you said, there's always that one guy until Marianna Rivera was the one unanimous Envy Hall of Famer, I remember this the one guy that's like Noted Jeter, like some people just want to be the contrarian.
Speaker 2: That's a that's a good point, too, Rich. How about this as a positive spin? I guess let's give credit to our pal, lifelong Patriots fan Mark Zido one of our close friends and colleagues.
Speaker 1: He posted this on our pun Nick Cossas.
Speaker 2: Nick Costas went on a rant about how the Football Hall of Fame is a disgrace for not putting him in. Mark Sito says, actually, this is fantastic for Belichick, and I'll tell you why. Took a horrible pr year and turned it into everyone now talking about how great of a coach he is.
Speaker 3: Again, so maybe.
Speaker 2: Sort of a blessing in disguise because in reality he wasn't getting great attention.
Speaker 3: That's a great point. You're right. A year and now everyone's coming to his defense. Now Tom Brady's singing his praise everyone from the Jordan Hudson stories to you know, North Carolina under delivering, underwhelming, not even whelming, like you talk to me.
Speaker 2: The plan backfired, is what I'm getting out of that, right, because hey, we're gonna show Belichick and we're gonna you know, abuse our power as you put it before, Rich and keep them out. But think about the press he had this year with Jordan Hudson, his coaching record and everything else, his Airbnb, all the stupid stories we speculated on, and now what's everybody doing.
Speaker 6: Wait a second, Bill Belichick is the greatest, the greatest, I tell her, Tom Brady's on defending on that man, it's ridiculous of all time. So it really might have been a blessing in disguise and the best thing to happen to a moving forward because now he reminded everybody how great he was. Are they reminded everybody how great he was.
Speaker 3: The sentiment on social media and like friends and six super Bowls isn't enough? What does a guy gotta do? And then they've been reposted like you know, everyone from Mahomes to JJ Watt, like everyone very quickly was like, yo, this is ridiculous.
Speaker 7: So you're right he Mahomes said it first on our show yesterday.
Speaker 3: Lebron James even chimed in. So when you talk about the goats in all sports getting his back, you're right. Maybe it is a nice little pr thing for Belichick, Like all right, it took this for everyone to be like, what are you kidding? Just goes to the.
Speaker 8: Best endorsement after endorsement and indignation like that, I guess sells really well.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, in a way, it's it's sort of backfired rich because so many I would say ninety percent of the people are speaking loud in his in his defense like.
Speaker 7: What a joke?
Speaker 3: Yeah, hey, you know what your thoughts will take We'll take two more quick phone calls. Then I have a I love the idea of how we live in a world. Now. Listen, social media is like equal parts awesome and terrible, And I think we could all say that's a sentiment we could all get on board with. Right. Social media is the devil, but it's also pretty awesome to get your thoughts and voice out there and connect with you know, old family members and friends. So social media, I'll tell you why it worked. It a cool way. After we say what's up to? Want to go to ED in Austin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, eight seven seven ninety nine on Fox. If you want to call in and say what's up? Eight seven seven ninety nine on Fox. Dnyg Our executive producer on standby Ed.
Speaker 3: Pick up some salt lick and some brisket and tell me what's on your mind? Man, what's up?
Speaker 9: So? Look, at one time I was a kitchen manager and we was open for Christmas, and the owner was calling into the restaurant every fifteen fifteen minutes. We have a line after do a flat thirty minutes and I had got tired of this bet and I took off my apron, my hat, my shirt, main tag, laid everything down and walked out. And now back to this, Bill Belichick.
Speaker 3: Oh so you actually were the guy that walked out and you were like, I'm done. So going back to the Jim.
Speaker 1: Schwartz thing here he pulled the Jim Schwartz up.
Speaker 3: So you've done this, okay.
Speaker 9: Yeah, So so you know it wasn't enough. It was Christmas and I give it, you know, being around my family to go in there and run the restaurant. I had this sitting on this book Colini and just drafting.
Speaker 10: And it wasn't okay, fair enough.
Speaker 9: Now, No, look, I don't know, I'm bossed about this. I don't know how long he cheated in these games before he got you know.
Speaker 10: Count whatever to me.
Speaker 9: You know, sometimes you just got to put your big boy pants on and take cannability for the stuff that you do.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean that that is true, but damn by correct me if I'm right or wrong. Belichick ever faced any disciplined reaction. He did it right. Brady. Brady did Brady for the flake Gate, but spygate. Never, there was never, not off the top of my head, I don't think there was a I don't remember, Like, oh, Belichick suspended so many games, I.
Speaker 7: Think, don't worry. I'm asking being right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think he's on it, but yeah, now, but now he's doing his time. He's going to do at least a year before they vote again.
Speaker 3: Let's say, what's up to Pennsylvania and Derek? Kay, Derek, what's up?
Speaker 10: Guys? I love you guys.
Speaker 3: Thanks brother? What's awome?
Speaker 9: Hey?
Speaker 10: So I wanted to chime in on the on the it's not a middle finger, but it's a walkoff, and it's one people don't talk about too much. Is John Cruck He got a single and made sure he hit three hundred for his career and walked off mid game and retired and left the stadium.
Speaker 3: That's you know what, That's fantastic. You know when you were when you were talking about like endings. I don't know why it always comes to mind. It's not it's not a few, but part of me wonders, did Joey Vado get thrown out of his last game on purpose just to be like to end in a weird way.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's quite the character. I don't know, but it's a yeah, it's a fun way to look at it.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you for the feedback. Appreciate.
Speaker 7: By the way, Belichick was fined five hundred thousand dollars by the NFL, but never suspended for anything.
Speaker 3: Finds I feel like suspensions when you're when something is real right that you get suspended, Like people get fine for wearing the wrong cleats, you know, like people get fined.
Speaker 7: The Patriots were also docked a first round draft pick.
Speaker 3: What's up.
Speaker 11: But I also think when you actually take away wins or championships, people say it doesn't matter, we saw it happened. I think those things do matter. I think when you take away those those records, those marks, those wins, especially as he was trying to go, you know, have the most wins in NFL history for a head coach, those things wouldn't matter.
Speaker 7: He didn't end up facing those.
Speaker 11: But when we talk about like penalties and stuff like that, if it was more severe, I think maybe or if they felt there was more of a role, you could have done those sort of things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no doubt. That's another great point. All right. I talked about social media equal parts also inn equal parts crappy. By the way, Big Mike doing his words wisdom today, Dann, you're huffing and puffing over there. I haven't seen him today, did he did? He like a pre record he didn't want to miss out.
Speaker 12: Of course he did. And it's right there in front of your sheet. It says, oh you think I read this three h five pm. Mike's words, of which Mike was here, I disappeared.
Speaker 3: I read no. I know.
Speaker 7: That's why.
Speaker 5: I mean.
Speaker 3: I mean, You're starting to feel a little under the weather, so I left. I'm not feeling the best today. So Mike left his words of wisdom. So let's say this. Let's play Mike's words of wisdom. We'll get a winner for this, and then a thought about social media and how more so than ever, we're having these amazing paper trails in the world of sports. Every Wednesday we give away prizes. Let's do this.
Speaker 4: It's time for the guy that runs this place.
Speaker 11: Just for clarification, guys, Big Mike does not run this place.
Speaker 7: He is not in charge of everything. He has no power over really anybody here. He does not run this place.
Speaker 4: It's Big Mike's words of wisdom on a Wednesday.
Speaker 1: Now, let's make a very clear Rich. We're giving away a prize pack.
Speaker 2: We have the Rich Davis Special Edition of our C and R and FSR Mini Balls.
Speaker 3: Oh that's funny, dude, and some koozies.
Speaker 2: Right, so we got our Mini Nerve footballs, our Mini balls and some coozies, a Coveno and Rich prize pack. If you could repeat Mike, who runs this place Wednesday words of wisdom verbatim.
Speaker 3: Let's let's hear what Let's hear what he dropped on us this week? Take a listen to me.
Speaker 4: Balls are perfect.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 5: Deserving isn't something other people get to grant or revoke. You don't become less deserving because someone else failed to recognize you.
Speaker 1: That's Confus's confused.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was that was a wordy one. I feel like that was very like Yoda ish, like words were out of place or something like backward side. Let's say one.
Speaker 7: I can't think we need to hear it two more times.
Speaker 5: Deserving isn't something other people get to grant or revoke. You don't become less deserving because someone else failed to recognize you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's like tough to even understand.
Speaker 3: It's just been the fuck.
Speaker 13: It's a true Mike left and stormed out because he was actually up to run this place and he wasn't like he was overlooked.
Speaker 3: Nicely done. Wow, it's true. Oh well, if you can make sense of that eight seven seven nine nine on Fox, you deserve a prize pack. It's like way too deep for us. I think, filled with the goodies.
Speaker 1: Just I think later I'll be on the ball, it'll all sink in.
Speaker 2: I'm like, oh, that's what Mike Man's Yeah, I got.
Speaker 3: Your chance to win.
Speaker 2: Now at eight seven, seven ninety nine on Fox, repeat that verbatim. But Rich, what was this paper trail or this this digital footprint?
Speaker 3: This?
Speaker 1: This was it a Twitter trail that sort of baffled you today?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I mean this went viral and then I saw a second one, and I think we're living in a world now. Remember back in the day when we were kids, if it would be like, hey, comno, look here's a childhood photo of I don't know, one of your favorite athletes, Joe Montana or you know, Don Mattingly. It was like an old black and white or like a picture that fell agains from like olden times right now. I mean you're seeing it with athletes now where pictures from their childhood were taken on an iPhone. You still thing it's crazy. You're you know, you see players now and it's like, oh wait, they're high school and you know, middle school photos were in four K and HD. Like, it's just a different world we live in and we're seeing a different trail of like you said, tweets and social media posts. Sometimes it comes to backfire. But did you see this one? I thought this was fantastic. There's a dude that deserves some props. His name is Justin Farcas. Any relation to Scott Thing Scott Farcas from Christmas.
Speaker 1: Story, Yes, Scott Farcas.
Speaker 3: Justin Farcas wrote on Twitter in twenty twelve, which, by the way, oh yeah I went yesterday, No, fourteen years ago. Fourteen years ago. Justin Farcas on social media wrote the following, Holy crap, Drake May is the best athlete I've ever seen playing up a league and still the best in the league. And then someone wrote, what's the context? Drake May nine years old, four feet eighty pounds playing up with twelve year olds when he's nine stiff arming them and running circles around them. This guy predicted Drake May was the best football player he ever saw when Drake May was nine.
Speaker 1: Are we sure that Chet Farcas here?
Speaker 2: Was it grown up then or was he just a little kid talking about another little kid?
Speaker 3: I don't you know. It's interesting because it you know, when someone looks old and you're like, they might not be as old as you think. I'm not sure Justin Farcas does put this out there, but the reality is we live in a world now where you could see a tweet about someone. It made me realize there's another one out there.
Speaker 2: He must have stood out at an early age. I'm not surprised. Every time we talked to professional athletes, I love hearing about that aha moment, that moment where they realized they were a lot faster than the other kids. And clearly this was his name. Chad Farcas, Chad Chaz Justin. Justin Farcas clearly saw a little kid that was way dominant and he felt the need of tweet about it.
Speaker 3: Dan Byern really cool. Have you ever seen the one about Page Beckers? No, Danny j Spot, Everyone listen to this is another great one, a guy named Gary Knox who's a scout, saw a young Page Beckers and this is a tweet from twenty thirteen, thirteen years ago. Remember the name Paige Becker's sixth grade think Diana Tarassi best sixth grade athlete I've ever seen. And so I feel like we're I mean, you're gonna see a lot of swings and misses, but occasionally I think we live in a world now where social media has been a part of everyone's life. Now that you're gonna see more and more of these pop up where and you're like, it was cute that I used the word cute. I know I did. But when you see like little pictures of Fernando Mendoza interviewed, when he's like a Pop Warner football player, You're starting to see more and more of this, like I said, in high definition, because my goodness, time is flying, and I think it's a pretty cool thing.
Speaker 8: I credit those two tweeters for actually naming these athletes and being like they could be great that you know at the time, what was it recently? It was like a year or two ago where someone found a tweet of like something odd that happened in society and it was actually like enough, if enough people tweet about something like and it comes true, that you will be able to find like that one tweet where it's like, oh, that actually was true. This one person was seeing in the future. Oh, but it's sort of just like by chance and you know, my chance to do. You remember last Halloween we joked about how this is true. There was a couple like a decade ago for Halloween was Travis Kelcey and Taylor Swift, but they just were there. There were a couple, but they were just the individual costumes. I'm like, yeah, I guess I'll be Travis Kelcey and his girlfriend's like I'll be Taylor Swift. And you know, fast forward a decade later, it's like, holy crap, look at our Halloween costume and the significance of it.
Speaker 2: So social media has provided us a place to leave this sort of this this footprint of proof that we hadn't had in previous years because we could have all said things like this, but we had no proof of it. So it's it is cool to have enough time go by where we could look back now and see some of this stuff.
Speaker 11: You know, Drake May's brother Luke May was actually the most famous May because he hit a shot for North Carolina to send him to a Final four. But so it runs in the family a little bit better. But to have yes, oh wow, yes, but to uh so, to have that sort of comment, both of Becker's and May is interesting because how much do we hear about burn out?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 3: Are these kids that we think like, there's there's kids who have dominated You're just.
Speaker 11: Like, okay, well that the kid's just gonna be amazing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they'd be. I worry about it a lot with with kids because sometimes I talk to my wife and I'm like, I feel like I'm not doing enough, and I coach all these kids. I'll talk to a parent it's like, eh, little Jackson's got football this day, basketball this day, baseball this day, then a private lesson this day.
Speaker 11: I'm like, he's six, sure, break like for like Drake made a dominate other nine year olds. I don't think it's surprising considering some of the pedigree to see where he is, But to the point of somebody saying it to that extent and then actually coming to fruition is pretty crazy.
Speaker 2: My son is gonna be six in a couple years. I'm gonna stop making proclamations. Not other kids. I'll maybe I'll hit one, make make just a few. Like he looks like a little villain. So even if he gets locked up, you have that written down somewhere. I knew he was a criminal man a little doing.
Speaker 8: There's there's the sn L sketch where Dana Carvey's playing Tom Brokaw and he's about to go on vacation for two weeks. And they're like, the producers, like, we need to you to record all these different things that could happen to gerald Ford. And he's like, oh, breaking news, gerald Ford chopped into little bits by a propanepeller or like a plane propeller, and like he has to do all gerald Ford eaten by sharks gerald Ford, and like it just keeps going. And it's like absurd because he's like, oh, we need to make sure we have something in storing case one of these things happens.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I do that when I record on Serious ExM. Sometimes I hate to break the glass some of them. I'm a professional broadcast. I'm very involved at Serious XM. Love being there.
Speaker 7: Wait, I thought you were live in New York.
Speaker 3: I try to do some things live when I can, but there are times I have to record something for like a Monday morning you fraud and I will guess and I'll go back and re record if I'm wrong. If I'm like, hey, last night Sunday night football, man the oh yeah, you have to have both sides, I'll say something like man, Eagles canngrats Philadelphia, big game last night, and I'm like, you have the Eagles lose. I then go back and like, oh, man, I guess wrong.
Speaker 13: You know I used to well, I had interned at a couple of news organizations, one being NBC Daylin NBC.
Speaker 3: Remember one spot, didn't you install the button in Matt Lower's office?
Speaker 13: I stole it?
Speaker 3: Actually use it to lock you in the studio. Sorry.
Speaker 13: No news organizations they keep a log like I found a database of all stories ready to go, like obituaries of very famous people. So in case something happens, they're not scrambling last minute to pull together that information. They have it ready to go. All they do is like add updates as time goes on. Have those packages ready to go.
Speaker 3: I've heard a listers have oh bits unfortunately read it a roll interestingly enough, let me throw one more fun fact at you. I hit Kevino with this this morning on our other podcast. When you look at some of the players that we see in the league today, sometimes you might know something and other people like, no, never heard that, So only throw this at You might know this, you might not. Do you know anything about Sam Darnold's grandpa.
Speaker 7: Yeah, saw this the other day.
Speaker 3: His grandfather, Sam Donald, a really cool name, right, Sam Donald's Grandfather's name is Dick Hammer. You don't have to dump that, Sam, it's his name. Yeah, you don't have his name.
Speaker 2: His name is Dick Hammer. And not only was he an elite athlete, an Olympic, an olympian with the coolest name, This guy was a stud athlete, Sam Donald's grandpa.
Speaker 3: And he is the face, he's the marble Man.
Speaker 12: He's become a firefighter. Yeah, and they used him for the commercials.
Speaker 3: Yet he is one of the marlbar men, Marball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's a marvel man again, an Olympian, a star athlete, and his name was Dick Hammer.
Speaker 3: And it's like to think Sam Donald winning a super Bowl would make him the coolesky in the family. How is that? Like? It's like good? Like if you're Dick Hammer's son.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he's never going to be as cool as his grandpappy.
Speaker 1: You win a super Bowl, now, what a name like Sam Donald?
Speaker 12: Not even if he wins the Super Bowl, rich, He's still not as cool as Dick Hammer.
Speaker 3: Dick Dick Donald, Sam Hammer. No, what if Donald wins the super Bowl? He's like, I want to thank you my grandpa, Dick Hammer. Well, Danny, how old? How old is Donald? Is he?
Speaker 13: Hey?
Speaker 3: Grandpa? He never met his grandfather?
Speaker 7: Six?
Speaker 3: No, he's old?
Speaker 7: Is he only? Donaldy?
Speaker 3: Nine?
Speaker 8: So Dick Hammer died oh a day before my birthday in nineteen ninety nine, So yeah, you never really got to know what never knew very young.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's twenty eight years old. Yeah, okay, so he just barely got he's a baby. Well, rest in peace, Dick Hammer. A couple of fun stories. Listen, we'll get a we'll try to get a winner. From Mike's words of wisdom, cod, I don't know if anyone wants to repeat that people are itching. You could be like nobody, you know, you could say you could say we're giving away a book of matches and people will call. But no one wants to repeat Mike's words of wisdom. We'll take your feedback and uh spots. Midweek major is coming up next right here Covin and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 14: Hey, it's Ben, host of the Fifth Hour with Ben Maller. Would mean a lot to have you join us on our weekly auditory journey. You're asking what in God's name is the Fifth Hour. I'll tell you it's a spin off of it Ben Mather Show, a Colt hit overnights on FSR.
Speaker 4: Why should you listen?
Speaker 3: Picture if you will? A world will.
Speaker 14: We chat with captains of industry in media, sports and more every week explore some amazing facts about human nature and more. Listen to The Fifth Hour with Ben Maller on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcast or wherever you get your podcast.
Speaker 2: All right, we're all doing the Humpty dance, turning your hump day into a hump night here on the Cavino and Rich Show. My name is Steven pronounced with an even. That's Rich Davis. He likes to oat meal lumpy. Thanks for enjoying this hump night with us. Broadcasting live from the Fox Sports Radio Studio, and for over forty years, tire Rack's been helping customers find the right tires for how and where they drive. Speaking of forty years Riches and that anniversary, today we're going to talk about what happened forty years ago.
Speaker 1: Yep, side tire rack of course.
Speaker 2: Yeah, ship fast and free back by free Road has a protection with convenient installation options like mobile tire installation tire raq dot com.
Speaker 1: A tire buying should be.
Speaker 3: And now it's time for our body spot and a segment he loves. It's called Midweek Major. Let's go.
Speaker 4: Covino and Rich get you over the middle of the week where mid Week Major Major.
Speaker 5: Oh.
Speaker 4: I love that we throw sports and pop culture headlines and topics at the fellas and it's like the kids.
Speaker 9: Say, that's summit. We definitely major.
Speaker 4: See in our score Midweek Major.
Speaker 12: A Yeah, I gotta go quick here to give Spotty a full eight minutes before I hand things over to the number one and only host of the segment. We usually roll the two Big Red Love Dice Main studio, but since Coveno's in Jersey for one last day, Rich, you're in the home studio, you get to call heads or tails. It is Ben Mallers Penny Alright.
Speaker 2: Alright, ready, yep, heads, it will score, you lose its tails.
Speaker 12: Covino gets first take and now, ladies and gentlemen, the most famous person besides Judy Bloom from Scotch Plain's New Jersey Spotty Boy.
Speaker 3: Heck, goodbye. Sorry, my bug's not working. Hi guys, Hi buddy, So I just trying to delay. I don't really have an I.
Speaker 13: Took him att lower button or your mic, but my mike button. Sorry, Rich, try to open the door of the studio. All right, you know, Comunie, you mentioned it. I'll just dig into it a little bit deeper. Tyson Fury took to social media today to let people know that he's ready to come out of retirement for the fifth time. Fury confirm that he'll be stepping back in the ring on April eleventh against Russian fighter arsln Beck Mack Moodoff, who as a twenty one and two record. He said, I'm absolutely psyched, ready ready to fight. Come on, the mac is back. He said, this is just a tip of the iceberg. The bat will take place in the UK, where Fury has not fought since twenty twenty two, and he says he has nothing to do with money. He says fighting is in his blood.
Speaker 3: And he will. You know he wants to. He can't help but be a fighter. Mid wee could mature. It's mid.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's not. It's definitely not major. And the announcements that major. We could have smelled that a mile away. It's mid because I think what Netflix really wanted was Fury to come out of retirement to fight Anthony Joshua.
Speaker 3: Anthony Joshua fought.
Speaker 2: Jake Paul got it to that car accident, and you know that car accident really shook him up. Totally understand he needs some time. He lost some close friends, but Tyson Fury had things to do. And I'll tell you what, I think his competition is pretty tough. This is a big, tough, rushing dude with a big tough punch.
Speaker 3: Is he beatable, Yeah, he's beatable.
Speaker 2: I saw a gate Kaby yell this tough German dude beat him. I think he has two losses right on his record, so I think he's got his hands full with his fight. But still kind of mid because it wasn't it isn't what it was supposed to be. Arcelen Beck, move Moudov, Machmandoff. There is tell you spell that I'll give you a dollar. There's an eight shnaer someonech' never.
Speaker 3: Heard of him. It's it's midthing but also major because I love Tyson Fury. It's been since twenty twenty two then he fought. He's an electrifying heavyweight.
Speaker 13: I don't know if he still got it the last time he fought in the UK. I think it's I was like two years since he fought. Okay, these guys listen.
Speaker 3: If you want to see like heavyweights fight, these guys are bald. I mean this guy's six six and I think Fury's around the same height or maybe even taller. So you got two beasted don So if you want to see the biggest dudes rumble, I think it'll be fun to watch on Netflix. So, like we said, most people have Netflix already, so hey have fun. I think it's fun, all right.
Speaker 13: Caitlyn Clark, Sam listen up kinda. Clark may be sidelined from playing, but that's not stopping her from working. So the Fever superstar has been tapped by NBC to serve as a special contributor for its NBC coverage this NBA coverage. This season, Clark is said to make her debut this Sunday, February first, as the Lakers take on the Knicks at MSG for the premiere of Sunday Night Basketball. Clark says she's really excited to take part of the Basketball Night in America crew.
Speaker 5: This season.
Speaker 13: She'll be joining the panel alongside Carmelo Anthony, Vince Carter, Tracy McGrady, and Maria Taylor. She will not be a regular, but she'll be appearing throughout the season, with another one scheduled at the end of March as the OKC hosts the Knicks. Of course, she's preparing for her third season in the WNBA, coming off injury, which will take place May ninth against Dallas.
Speaker 3: A midweek or major.
Speaker 2: It's made until pre major because we fell for that whole Michael Jordan insight, the excellence.
Speaker 3: They're not calling it Caitlyn's insight. They learned their lessons.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I'm not buying into these headlines until proven otherwise. But you know, it's it's big because it's Kaitlyn Clark. Not many names bigger than hers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's major because Kaitlyn Clark's a big name, and I feel like we lost the Kaitlyn Clark buzz a little bit last year due just a lot of it. She's healthy, by the way, the injuries, she's coming back. Yeah, I actually looked it up. Yeah, she suld. According to sources, she ready to compete at a high basketball level. Again.
Speaker 9: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I wonder if the basketball, the w NBA buzz is gone, does it. I I feel like grand opening grand closing in my mind.
Speaker 8: And I wait, I think that her being on NBA broadcasts actually kind of like lifts them up. I think it might get more people interested at least in that broadcast.
Speaker 3: I think this is major, but I might be biased. Listen, I'm I'm all for, you know, women's sports getting to the next level, right. I mean, I just wonder if our interest levels are still there for Kaitlin Clark as something as simple as something she can't prevent, like an injury, people might be onto the next thing. I'm curious what ratings look like this coming year.
Speaker 13: All Right, you mentioned you're gonna tap on something that was forty years ago today. Well forty years ago Monday was where the Chicago Bears dominated the Patriots to win Super Bowl twenty in New Orleans. Well, an iconic piece of memorabilia from that game is hitting the aus auction block and that's Mike Dicka's signature Chicago.
Speaker 3: Bears vest, you know, the one with the Bears across the chest. Yeah, you're not right.
Speaker 13: So the auction being held of course by Ken Golden, has everything and has a current bid of eighty two thousand dollars if you want to jump in. Auction goes until February seventh. The vesta size XXL and comes with a certificate of authenticity signed by Ditka himself. So a cool piece of memorabili if you want to jump on that Midweek or.
Speaker 3: Major this is.
Speaker 2: I think it is kind of major, to be honest, because when you think of that team and you think of Ditka, you think of that vest and get Golden's great at driving those prices up for these things.
Speaker 3: I think we're going to see the succeed.
Speaker 1: Values of eighty thousand dollars for sure.
Speaker 2: But it's pretty iconic, dude, especially for the right buyer or Bears fan especially. Yeah, it's just pretty major. I think I'm into collectibles too though.
Speaker 3: So major, absolutely major. If you're from the Midwest, the Chicago Bears eighty five team is your last moment of glory. It's over forty years ago and Saturday Night Live only only enhances by any bit or any any thought of Ditka is associated with that sweater vest from the eighties. This should be a piece. If you're a Chicago baller and you're the biggest dude in Chicago, you're balling, you're a million.
Speaker 2: If you're Abe Frowman, honest, you're from it's susage King of Chicago.
Speaker 3: This is one of the most other than a Michael Jordan, Other than a Michael Jordan piece, this might be one of the cooler member billion pieces in Chicago sports. I think it's great. Dude, God, do you think it smells like Do you think it smells like sass? I think it smells like onion rings. It smells like sassage, sasage, sassage. He sounds like some old brute Colonne.
Speaker 13: All right, Patriots coke coachm Coke coach, Mike Crap.
Speaker 1: It smells like old spice with sausage.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, Oh that's a great smell.
Speaker 13: Bottle that up as backing off a promise he made in twenty nineteen, but rightly so so. During a twenty nineteen interview with Barstools Busting with the Boys, then Titans head coach was asked if he'd cut off his junk for another title, to which he said, yeah, probably once he'd been married for twenty years.
Speaker 3: Who needs it anyway. Earlier this week, he's appearing on the Greg Hill Show.
Speaker 13: Rabel was asked if that was still the plan of course, heading into Super Bowl sixty against the Seahawks. His response, maybe I'll cut it in half, but I'm not cutting off the whole thing. He said he was just playing around with the guys back then, and half the stuff he says doesn't mean anything. And both, of course, we'll see how it goes next week, midweek or major.
Speaker 2: Hey, man, I think this Rabel story is more major than we're giving it credit for. So any sort of news surrounding this guy, and we were talking about Bill Belichick, we should be talking about Mike Brabel.
Speaker 3: Get this.
Speaker 2: He's the first person to start for and head coach the same franchise in a Super Bowl.
Speaker 1: That's pretty freaking amazing, dude.
Speaker 3: Day It's amazing that he said he'd cut half off and he's confident with what he would have left after that. Oh yeah, I mean, well, that's pretty amazing too. Lanks they're with or like, what are we doing? Could he still be a head coach?
Speaker 2: That's a good one, so sort of a roote kind of coach at that point.
Speaker 3: I think it's uh.
Speaker 7: I look at the time and it's almost time for buyer.
Speaker 3: I think it's funny. You know what, maybe if he's married twenty years and hasn't gotten any maybe needs to buy some of that new Sydney Sweeney lingerie for his wife Siren. Yeah, that's gonna be my final story. But yeah, that's major. I don't even need to check. That's major. I think it's a major. And we go to the too for an updates FOT Thanks buddy.
Speaker 11: Thanks guys, all right, great thing they sure we don't have any calls to do. Big Mike's words of wisdom, give me a little buffer between the two. Cleveland Browns are hiring former Ravens offensive coordinator Todd Monkett to be their new head coach after being passed over for the head coaching job. Reports out of Cleveland State defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz has told team members he won't return to the staff next season. Seattle Sports seven ten am in Seattle, spoke a former Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, who defended his former head coach Bill Belichick and Belichick's snub from the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 10: There's no coach I'd ever rather play for it.
Speaker 14: If I'm picking one coach to go out there to win a Super Bowl, give me one season, I'm taking Bill Belichick.
Speaker 5: So that's enough.
Speaker 3: Set.
Speaker 11: Everybody's weighing in, including the President. President Trump taking the social media to support Belichick, saying the decision to keep him from being a first ballot Hall of Famer was quote ridiculous end quote, and said they should overturn the voting results the Pro Football Hall of Famer at least the statement explaining how voting members could be removed if it's found out they've violated the selection process by laws. Patriots quarterback Drake May limited in practice today because of a shoulder injury. The Athletic reported late yesterday the Jets reached out to John Gruden to gauge his interest in joining Aaron Glenn's coaching staff. Gruden, though declined that Offer Giannis and Teta Kumpo could be on the movie. ESPN reports some NBA teams are aggressively pursuing the Bucks forward, with Milwaukee listening to those offers. NBA's trade deadline is a week from tomorrow. Rocket center Stephen Adam is going to miss the rest of the season following ankle surgery, Patrick Reid leaving liv Golf seeking reinstatement to the PGA Tour, and Yanick Sinner is going to face Novak Djokovic and the men's semis of the Australian Open after overnight wins.
Speaker 2: Guys, back to you, Thank you, Dan Buyer, Thanks Dan. All Right, we got more.
Speaker 3: Covino on Rich and it's an anniversary of a tragic event forty years ago in nineteen eighty six, So we're gonna do a quick little way back Wednesday, little peak around the world of sports forty years ago. What were you do when in nineteen eighty six and what happened on this day? We do that next right here, Fox Sports.
Speaker 2: Radio, Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio, Iowa Sam playing some food fighters. Dave Grohl announced they're making new music, so that's pretty cool. Steve Cavino, Rich Davis, Iowa Sam are sound architect, Danny g Our executive producer on the phones eight seven, seven ninety nine on Fox and again watch what you hear anytime, including our bonus Pott It's all there, over Promised and more Covino and Rich FSR on YouTube. And remember, your next success can begin sooner than you think. Put your goals within reach at University of Maryland Global Campus, an accredited state university. Apply now and see with no application fee. Classes start February eleventh. Learn more at UMGC dot edu. Have you ever wiped with a piece of dry toilet paper and wondered how Rich Davis does it? Well, you don't have to anymore because it's all about dudewipes. Dudewipes switched to life changing wet extra large fleshable Dude Wipes because wetter just cleans better. Available at Amazon and major retailers nationwide. Dude Wipes best clean pants down. So go back in time, guys. The year was nineteen eighty six, and a lot of us remember where we were because something sort of impactful happened. Unfortunately, teachers rolled in TV screen to your classroom, most likely depending on how old you were, but that's my memory of it. Yeah, forty years ago today, your teachers were all excited because the first teacher was entering outer space and we all sat there watching as tragedy unfolded.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you're in your forties, it might be one of your first school memories of teachers crying and and being upset as the challenger exploded. And I remember I was in kindergarten. I remember I had like a vague memory of being like, like why the adults crying? But there were a kid. You don't know what's going on, but you remember people being upset when they wheel in the TV on the car, Like Cavino said, that's that's an early, like kindergarten memory.
Speaker 12: It's the first time I saw adults blubber like crying uncontrolled.
Speaker 3: It was a big it was a big moment.
Speaker 2: There was a lot of like teacher connection, right because that was the big story. Christy mccauliffe and all these astronauts and NASA was big and they're going out of space. You know, the teachers were hyping us up for weeks and weeks to come about this story. And I think from their perspective looking back, they probably just felt not only terrible because they were teachers, but they were terrible to have to watch us as kids witness something so tragic, right because they're looking at a bunch of confused little kids, like what just happened? Because I clearly remember like not understanding that it exploded. Like for all we knew, or I knew at the time, was like is this supposed to do that?
Speaker 3: What just happened?
Speaker 2: And it didn't click until you saw the reaction of the teachers and they all clamored together, And it's something a lot of us will never forget for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, uh, we talked about this before, but if you were a kid of the eighties, there was a distinct point where like space stuff sort of dropped off because there was a point where like kids would want to go to space camp and NASA was a big deal, Like there was like a fascination with I want to be an astronaut and that just sort of like went away. Do you remember that vibe of like kids like it's career week at my kids school. When we were little kids, it was always a couple of kids like, I want to be an astronaut? What happened to that? We're going to the moon in and no one cares? Yeah, that's trying.
Speaker 2: We're going to not like on the moon. I think we're like around the phone or something, but still very cool. You're right, and you know, it takes us back to that time, but it also takes us back to eighty six. Where were you when it happened? And we remember the Challenger and the explosion. But it was a big year for you, Rich Davis, a little pumped, pine nose picking, haircutted kid rooting his Mets on eighty six Mets. Yeah, it's one of the first things I think of.
Speaker 3: Well, eighty six Mets And you know, you think about what year they played versus what year they won the Super Bowl. We think eighty five Bears, but that Super Bowl was in eighty six, so it was six. The year kicked off with the Super Bowl Shuffle and Jim McMahon and Refrigerator Perry and later in the year, of course, the Metsis and the Red Sox is one of the most memorable world series. Throughout the year, Oprah debuted on television. Top Gun was like the big movie. Every kid was loving Halley's comment remember Hally's Commet That was eighty six, So not just Top Gun, no Aliens.
Speaker 2: Thornton Mellen was doing the Triple Lindy got to type back to sports, Triple Lindy legendary use that move right back to school. Crocodile Dundee was big Rocky four, one of your favorites came out that year around that time. Four was eighty five eighty five. Yes, that's what I thought too. It says it's listed here eighty six. Maybe we were still living through the hype in eighty six. But as far as cartoons, just to give you a timestamp of where you were, like forty years ago, the Smurfs, Alvin and the Chipmunks, the first teenage mutan Ninja Turtles comic came out. Let Me Hit You Up with One Man, and the cartoon exploded in eighty seven. Let Me let Me maybe a bad choice or words right there. The CARTOONI became very popular in eighty seven.
Speaker 3: I'll give you one. I know little Steve Cavino was excited about getting a Nintendo game of that that was gold zeld them.
Speaker 2: Sell them and this is kind of weak. One of the biggest songs. That's what friends are for. Deon Warwick and Friends say you say me, Lionel Ritchie a question if you.
Speaker 3: Think it's a week song, Why do you want to sing it after every show? Say it for all? Danny chimes, blue bird chimes, that's for friends. Off, Oh was so?
Speaker 2: Where were you in eighty six? Hit us up at Covino and Rich. I will see you guys tomorrow. Until then, Raven, there you baby, see you in the Promised Land.
Speaker 3: Goodbye back