Speaker 1: Welcome to the solid verbal. Hell that for me, I'm a man, I'm forty. I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy. You want to be happy for Dake Edith State? Is that woo woom? And Dan and Tye.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the Solid Verbal boys and girls. My name is ty Hildebrand. His name is Dan Rubinstein. Solid Verbal at gmail dot com is the email address. Don't forget to go on out to verballers dot com for the Patreon. Don't forget to follow along on social media, Sir mister Rubinstein, how are you?
Speaker 1: I'm good. I am currently looking at the college football subreddit on reddit dot com, which is one of the two subreddits I look at. It's this in the pizza one, which I'm now posting on. By the way, Oh, you've made it to the to the posting state. Okay, oh my god, yeah, absolutely, I have it. It doesn't look like there's a bunch of news to talk about. Michigan loses Giles Jackson, who is sort of there speedy all purpose weapon a lot of reverses, was a promising receiver, so he looks like he's in the transfer portal. I don't I don't think there's a lot of current stuff to talk about unless you want to get into Murray State, Eastern Illinois, Tennessee State, UT Martin. I'm okay, Yeah, I'm good. I think I'm I think I'm good. Actually, yeah, I'm glad the kids are playing football, he says, as an ancient human. But no, I mean, aside from there's some recruiting news. I saw. I think Miami got a blue chip quarterback, Arkansas got a top tier safety. It's it's March. There's nothing too much we can talk about right now. I guess quarterback recruiting is somewhat interesting because that's where the dominoes tend to fall pretty far ahead of signing day. But I'm all right, and I'm very excited for today's show. And I also have early reviews of YouTube coaching clinic speeches.
Speaker 2: YouTube coaches clinic speeches. Okay, yeah, if you look for coaches you enjoy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, head coat coaches, sometimes coordinators. There's a good chance that a video of them giving a coaching clinic is on YouTube. And I watched Kirby Smart, I watched Lincoln Riley, I've watched Sark There's a number i've watched Nick Saban. There's a number of really good ones you can watch, and they're like an hour long, and you get a who's cheek inside her head?
Speaker 2: Let's let's stay here for a second because he's not sending me these links and I've been watching. I think I watched the Sark once he sent over who is the best that you've watched? Just from an entertainment standpoint.
Speaker 1: I saw Chip Kelly want a long time ago. That was really good. I think it was at an old Nike clinic because he was so plain and direct and he was like, yeah, this is what he runs, this is what I run, and this is how we just f up teams with it. It's not that difficulty. He was just very frank and that was a fun watch. I enjoyed the Sark one, which I had sent to you, Reese. Sark was good. Yeah. The thing so it's college coaches reviewing their offenses or defenses or philosophies about coaching in general to a room packed full of there are smaller school like smaller level college coaches or a lot of high school coaches. I think is the target audience. It's about coaching development. It's a coaching ted talk is what it is. It totally is, and it's also I mean, it's good for high school coaches to learn from these guys who have succeeded and also to network because, as we know, a number of prominent head coaches and coordinators have come from the high school ranks up. It's not always just guys starting out as low level college guys and working their way up. A lot of time it's you know, Art Briles and Gus Malsan and Chad Morris, guys like that. So though it's fascinating to watch, they all start out the same way, which is complementing the hell out of the coaches. You guys are doing the real work. That's right. You guys are the fronkbone of this sport. Yes, so I've been watching some of that, but really there isn't a ton to talk about. We've had some. I saw some Pac twelve schools are wrapping up spring practice. I think Oregon starts in a week or two, so not too much. I'm excited to see, not excited, but eager to see what the transfer portal looks like after the spring season.
Speaker 2: Well, on today's show, we're going to do something that we've wanted to do for a long time. Yeah, this is the How's your Marriage?
Speaker 1: Show? Dan?
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is the How's your Marriage Show? Except we're not talking about our marriages. Well you want to, and I know you it will end up there. But here's where we're going to start. Where we're going to start is by looking at marriages between coaches and programs, coaches and institutions. We're going to evaluate the health of said relationships. So we've got a big list here. I don't know if we'll get through all of these, but some guys might be on the hot seat, some guys maybe are doing pretty well or have been in a state of stagnation for a while.
Speaker 1: Some are very much on the rise.
Speaker 2: So we're really going to run the gamut here evaluate the health of some of these relationships. Coaching standpoint, maybe more, I don't know, right, and we're going to see where we stand here. We're two married guys. We can evaluate a relationship, right.
Speaker 1: We absolutely I want to. We did this what twenty seventeen way back when you till you found it, I didn't even know we did. Yeah, we tied it to steaminess, And I got to tell you once again this is going to be a sexist landmine for us, and we're going to do our best to avoid any pratt falls here. But yeah, I think we're going to evaluate relationship, marriages, steam factor, and whether or not everything you know, the charcoal is still burning bright between these two entities, be it. I think we've got mostly coaches in schools, but also maybe bigger, broader ideas and bigger broader relationships, if that makes sense. Why don't we start out very broad? Do you have us? Do you have a sound to lead us in?
Speaker 2: I mean, the only one I have is on set. I feel like spicy is a pretty good right here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's pretty good, such a versatile sounded. Indeed, Yeah, where are we starting.
Speaker 2: We're starting with Power five football and its marriage, its open relationship with the NC Double A.
Speaker 1: Dan, it's open it.
Speaker 2: I just want to you want me to explain what that term me. I'm aware of what the term means, thinking I'm older than you. Keep that in mind.
Speaker 1: That's true power five football in the n C Double A.
Speaker 2: So this is this is an interesting space to be in right now. The NC Double A. How would we describe its relationship with Power five football?
Speaker 1: Rules? It's organizational on some level, but it's mostly there to organize the structure of eligibility and enforce rules that affect eligibility. So it's a I suppose, very concerned security guard.
Speaker 2: And power five football strikes me as a kind of the kind of person that's been working out, looking in the mirror, feeling real good about itself. Oh okay, and starting to look at that NC double A and wonder, hmm, do we really want to stay do we really want to have the old ball and chain here? The NC DOUBLEA be kind of with us forever? Like?
Speaker 1: Are we out growing?
Speaker 2: Are we getting too good for the NC double A? And I worry that these two may be headed for Splitsville at some point.
Speaker 1: Do you think I don't think you're necessarily incorrect. Do you think that they've been together for so long and grown a parts? Like dinner parties can get pretty uncomfortable. Yeah, there are a couple that at a dinner party, one of them says something that the rest of the tables like, I'm sorry, did he say this is how he feels about this group of people? I'm sorry? Did he just talk about? What? What is he? What is he going off on? And the partner in that relationship, the spouse in that relationship is getting more and more embarrassed all the time and wondering as they they glide into their elder stage of their lives into the twilight years, is this who they really should be spending time with. Is are they still aligned as personalities as a couple. That's the type of relationship right now now. It's very difficult to find that person later in life. I think you really have to be able to come across a lot of personalities. And now maybe you're just in the case of powerfive Football, you just want to be single. You just want to be a bachelor or bachelorette, and you just want to enjoy your life, and you want to go on the vacations you want to go on. You want to go to the restaurants you want to go to, you want to buy the car you want to buy, You want to decorate your house the way you want to decorate your house. That's what I feel like we're in right here. I feel like this.
Speaker 2: Is a relationship that may need counseling. And Power five is looking at the NC DOUBLEA is saying Spark's gone, and the ncublea doesn't want to hear that, and so they're willing to go to counseling. They're willing to do whatever they can to rekindle that old flame. I just a lot of times you get to that point there is no rekindling to be had, Dan, So I worry about this relationship, I really do.
Speaker 1: I understand where both are coming from. But Power five, Power five, man, it's got room to grow, It's got on its own. The nc DOUBLEA, the NCAA has gotten used to a certain lifestyle. Yeah, I do, and are now worried that, oh, we're gonna have to move from this this lakeside cottage, this lakeside mansion into the condo in the city. Yeah, they don't want that without Power five, they don't. Mark Emmerton does not want that. I don't think so. So, Yeah, I think counseling or just they really have to to spice things up and change their ways. If that's even possible. It's late in life. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Let's jump to what I think is the opposite side of the spectrum. Dan, Okay, let's talk about Dan Mullen and University of Florida right as opposed to Power five In the NCAA, which I feel like maybe two ships drifting in opposite directions. I feel like the Mullen Florida relationship is one of those deals where they start wearing matching jackets, like, okay, each way back, they go way back. Each's identity is has so much in common with the other that they just sort of morph into the same entity altogether. You ever met a couple like that where you know they're maybe they're they're wearing like matching Jean jackets or something. They become one and the same.
Speaker 1: You're talking about like the Brad pittization of a relationship where he's he's with Aniston and his hair is blonde. He's with Jolie his hair is black. Like he takes on he's a shape shifter. Yeah, as it relates to his relationship partner. Yeah, in this case, I guess, Yes, I guess.
Speaker 2: What I'm feeling about the Mullen Florida union here is that Florida is just going to take on all the characteristics of Dan Mullen, that he's going to be successful there. He's been successful there in the past, so he knows the school. They have a lot in common.
Speaker 1: It's a weird way to talk about a side of a relationship, I know, isn't it. It's very strange.
Speaker 2: He's been successful there, so yeah, I didn't even notice that when I said it, but I know, think, where do you stand on the mull in Florida thing?
Speaker 1: There is an element to Mullen and Florida. Not to say that Dan Mullen cheated by leaving Mississippi State in his wake, because he accomplished a lot of very impressive things in Mississippi State and in Starkville, but there is an element where his name keeps coming up, keeps coming up for jobs, even at Florida, where he just won the East. They just broke through the Gators did under Dan Mullen, beat Georgia, ended up scoring a ton of points on Alabama, and even though Kyle Trask is gone, Kyle Pitts is gone, what do you call him? K pop that I think there is some doubt among Florida fans that he's sort of had his ceiling and that it'll be more difficult to break through the Alabama side of things. There's also a side to me that with Dan Mullen's name coming up for so many jobs so often, I think Dan Mullen has a lot of emotional friendships with other schools, and that is a tricky relationship to be and almost like you got together with somebody who cheated on you with their who cheated on their spouse with you. Now you're together, but you're still like, well, this person is a cheater that I'm now with, and so what does that say about our relationship? I think there's an element to that. With Dan Mullen and Florida. Things are going great, charming and really getting the most out of the relationship, but there is that element that, like you said, it's got to be his way, and is his way always the best for the relationship? Not so sure? Hmm.
Speaker 2: I did not expect you to explore the cheating side of this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I mean, does his name not come up? Dan Mullen would be interested in an NFL job? Should one come up and be interested in Dan Mullen's services. Now, maybe that was all smoke, but there seems to always be smoke with Dan Mullen and jobs in college football. That's a really interesting angle Dan. Emotional friendships.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't. I didn't consider that before. I think we're still a little bit of ways off from that. I feel like Florida, Florida needs to get to the top of the sec before before that's a real conversation, a real worry now from the from the Florida side.
Speaker 1: But is there an element of Florida having a tremendous relationship for a stretch though it did go south with say, Dan Mullen's brother, and now Florida. You know, they were with Stan Mullen. Mullen sure, and Dan's always going to be compared to Stan because they're tied together. And now Florida is like, well, Stan is off doing his thing and it didn't work out. Let's go with Dan Mullen, the lesser of the Mullins, but a terrifically impressive Mullen.
Speaker 2: Still a Mullon nonetheless. Okay, correct, you really threw me for a loop, So I want to move on. I want to go a different direction.
Speaker 1: I would have for a long walk a little while ago and thought these throw continue.
Speaker 2: Ken, Neo, Matalolo and Navy. So look, I'm going to say something here Lis that listen. I would anticipate a large chunk of our listening audience would take some umbrage too, But I'm gonna say it anyway, because we're all friends. We're all friends here. I feel like with the frequency that Ken Niamatolo, I can't even say his name, that his name comes up with Ken, Ken, thank you, with other jobs, that there must at least be some interest from his side.
Speaker 1: Is that fair to say? I know he's interviewed of it. Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, of course, of course, yes, And yet he's still at Navy.
Speaker 2: Navy's going to keep him for as long as he's willing to stay. This to me, has the element of a high school relationship that it's just sort of always been, and now as we get a little bit later in life, there may be one of the two partners that's willing to just explore, test the waters and see what's out there.
Speaker 1: And I feel like that might that maybe Ken in this case. Dean, Okay, yeah, I think you're onto something. I thought about this in terms of Ken new Modololo and Navy. You know, notice how I just nailed the name right there. Casually. Ken is Ken and Navy are from a small town. They have a very specific relationship and specific history and specific accent and way of doing things. And I'm not saying that Ken is tired of Navy, but maybe Ken wants to take the train into the big city and understand a way of life that's different than what he's used to. And not that Navy's holding him back, because Navy understands Ken like they have a great rapport, But there is something about their very specific relationship and references and preferences that Ken Neamadololo is saying, this has been a great relationship. I wouldn't change a thing, and I know I come at things from a very specific perspective.
Speaker 2: But.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Maybe I'd like to take a siesta before a late dinner at ten pm and see what that's like. Yeah, this you know what this is Dan, now that I think about it.
Speaker 2: H Ken on his Facebook profile still has listed when it says interested in he still has interested in small mid major college football programs. Has that listed? He does not have any entry though at least not publicly in that married field, and so you might be passing by. He might be Ken's friends say, Wow, he's okay, he's still interested in X. We know he's married to X, but we don't see any listing of that.
Speaker 1: Why that's true, I think that's a good comparison.
Speaker 2: It's not overt, it's not in your field, not trying to cause a ruckus. And it's very easy for Ken to just say, look, I don't go on Facebook that much. Doesn't mean anything to me. Probably means a lot to Navy, though, doesn't it. Navy might not even know about it. Maybe they can't do it.
Speaker 1: I was on a very similar mind path. Do you remember when Instagram would let you see somebody's likes, Oh yeah, oh he accounts that they've liked. Oh yeah, and first of all, hilariously evil feature, just incredible. But then you would you would hear about politicians, or you would hear about, you know, big famous people that are in relationships but liking all of the posts of this person that they're not in a relationship with, and all those posts are that person. It's scantily clad on a beach somewhere, or it's a politician who's like the sexualization of our youth. And then you look at their likes and it's maybe some adult film stars maybe, and they didn't realize that they were being kind of overt with who they truly are, which is fine, but there is that element to ken neomodololo. His quirks and preferences are on display, whether he knows it or not. Yeah, he's looking. He's open for business. Sure, But the thing is, somebody in a bigger city with a different job, from a different background, are they going to be into his delco accent? Right? It's unclear, right, Like it's a very specific personality that he has that he doesn't know how it's going to play somewhere else. But he's willing to roll that dice. I can evolve, I can change, I can fit in. I'm a chameleon. Speaking of which, Dan, But by the way, the delco accent is just my favorite sound in America. Yeah, yeah, No, it's a thing that's suburban Philly, suburban Delaware County. Yeah yeah, a.
Speaker 2: Lot of water, a lot of thone phone talk on the phone.
Speaker 1: I know it well.
Speaker 2: Okay, speaking of aggressive personalities, let's talk about Herm Edwards.
Speaker 1: Oh, let's do it here.
Speaker 2: We are so Herm Edwards Actually when he now's his marriage to Arizona State made some waves because it was almost like.
Speaker 1: An online type of thing. Remember he got was it the was it the fight song wrong or the mascot wrong? He got some right, what was that, something about sun devils and being Catholic. Yeah, oh no, it was somebody said they asked him a question and they announced that they were from Devil's digest. He was like, I don't know about that. I'm a Catholic. Yeah it was.
Speaker 2: It was just a weird, a weird thing where he had been thrust into the situation and still didn't know enough about the partner, and so that made some waves.
Speaker 1: That made some waves. He also had a very weird.
Speaker 2: Philosophy at the time, you'll recall that also made waves. We got like three months worth of content out of that.
Speaker 1: That was awesome.
Speaker 2: I don't know how ASU felt about that, but they were. They were kind of reinventing the wheel in a sense. So quirky new partner comes in a lot of enthusiasm, happy to be there, trying to change the world. I understand how you get caught up in that. And I would say to some extent herm Edwards for sure has exceeded expectations at Arizona State, because at least initially I thought it was going to be a train wreck.
Speaker 1: That has not been the case.
Speaker 2: I don't know how if there's been a whole lot of progression, but at least to date, I would say it's been it's been a good experience. What is the state of affairs now with herm at Asu Dan because we you'll recall, talked a few weeks back about Arizona state and how do they get over the hump? How do they get to that next level? Where are we at here? Where do you stand on herm Have.
Speaker 1: You ever been to dinner with a couple, a new couple where you had been to dinner with one of those people that with another long term spouse or partner, boyfriend, girlfriend, whatever, and you're just like kind of skeptical that they've moved on to this new person, maybe younger, and you're just like, I wonder how this is gonna go. I wonder what they have in common. I wonder what their vibe is, their chemistry is like that vibe. I think I've been that person who has had like a lot of dinners with friends with one person and then I moved across the country and what things changed? I think herm Edwards was introduced to a much younger spouse by a good friend of his agent and Adie Ray Anderson Vasio, and I think a lot of people were skeptical of the generation gap. We're talking longtime adult NFL professional coach out of the dating game, and everybody just assumed if he were to get back in the game, it would be with somebody more mature, more his age. But he goes with somebody noticeably younger. But he's also trying to correct the errors of his ways, trying to approach things in a more modern way. He's dressing better, he's more thoughtful, he's trying to improve. And yes, this spouse is younger and people are talking, there are whispers, but when you spend time with them, you could see that they're a pretty good match. So hold on, hold, let me pause you there for a second. I want to, okay, I want to unpack a little bit of this generational dynamic here that you've uncovered. Of course, do we feel that it's more of the old guy trying to improve himself to be a better fit, or do we think that it's the older guy almost doing the cool substitute teacher thing, where like he's just being being edgy for the sake of it, Like maybe he bought a leather jacket and it doesn't fit anything with his persona, but he's doing it to try and play younger.
Speaker 2: What side of the coin here are we on with Herm?
Speaker 1: I think Herm Edwards is somebody who has gotten a little bit of a bit older, is divorced, not by his own doing, but realizes perhaps some of the error of his ways, airs of his ways.
Speaker 2: And.
Speaker 1: Realizes that he's no good single. He needs someone needs and he has a very specific energy to him. And he was like, listen, I'm just going to find somebody that's a good match. If they're tall, if they're short, if they're old, if they're young, if they're loud, if they're quiet, I'm going to find somebody who I work out well with. And it just so happens this person is young and lives in the sunshine, and there's not a ton of big expectations of him. They just want to have a good time. Their personalities match. You know, we like to look down on when we see that famous people. You know, maybe an older man and a younger woman or an older woman, whatever combination you're looking for you have in mind, and we like to look down and be like, what could they possibly have in common? Well, here's the reaction if a seventy year old is with a thirty year old, Say it's about a forty year age gap. Thirty year old still an adult, right, we shouldn't discount somebody. So I think we got to give them a chance, even though it seems unconventional. I think once you hang out with them and you see the experience of herm and his younger partner, ASU, you get it. You understand what they're what they're doing together. I think what you're saying, and I sort of vibe with this as well. Yeah, this is they have uncomfortable double dates with Michigan State.
Speaker 2: They do, they do, They absolutely do. This is a new age relationship. Maybe they don't believe in the label marriage. Okay, they're just together.
Speaker 1: No, I think they're getting something out of each other.
Speaker 2: Common law to some extent, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think there's companionship. I think there's fun. Yeah, experimentation.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, speaking of companionship, speaking of fun, Speaking of experimentation, let's talk about Brett Bilima.
Speaker 1: Let's do it. Let's absolutely do it. Oh no, okay. Bilamas from the Midwest.
Speaker 2: He was at Wisconsin, had a stint at Arkansas.
Speaker 1: Been out of the game.
Speaker 2: For a couple of years now, he's coming back to the Midwest, going to Illinois after they part of ways with love Smith. I have no idea how to feel about this, Okay. I feel like, if you are Illinois, you're in the situation where you're looking for a warm body. You're looking for a warm body. You've heard all the stuff.
Speaker 1: About Brett Bilima, mm hmm.
Speaker 2: You kind of just don't care though, You're kind of just cool with it because you're in the market.
Speaker 1: You're willing to give.
Speaker 2: It a shot.
Speaker 1: Incomes Brett Bieloma.
Speaker 2: He's interested, willing to go to you know, the pub with you, throw a few back, tell some jokes, have a good time, make you feel young again.
Speaker 1: Dan. So, in this situation, if I'm to understand you, and please correct me if I'm wrong, is the background check a chlamydia test.
Speaker 2: I'm not going quite to that extreme. Okay, all right, but you've heard you know, you've heard rumblings. If you're Illinois, you've heard rumblings and you're just willing to look past it because you're tired of being lonely.
Speaker 1: Man. You're tired of being lonely. I think there's an element of familiarity with Brett Bielahma and that division that school that maybe Brett Bilama maybe this was similar. What was the movie Just Friends Ryan Reynolds? Is that the movie Ryan Reynolds Amy Smart where he sings all for one Gosh, you know what I'm talking about. No, I don't. You've never seen Just Friends. I don't think so. Oh it's a good movie. I think it's Anna Faris plays like a Britney Spears type. Anyway, Ryan Reynolds wears a fatsuit. It's funny. There is that element of familiarity returning home Ish and Brett Bielma tried to make it out in the big cities, out in the world and see how far he could go. And Illinois, I've been through some tough relationships. Yeah, and it's sort of everybody's hoping it's right place, right time. Brett Bielima coming home. This is who he always was, big ten kid Illinois looking for somebody who gets them, understands their references. Went to high school together, always sort of circled around each other, but never really made it official. Coming together, and everybody's rooting for it, right and hoping for the best that you know, Illinois has been down on their luck. Everybody's just they want the best for Illinois. Rett Bielama had a rough go of things outside of Big ten West. Everybody just everybody just wants it to work out. There's a real Hallmark movie quality to this, islearly there is, Yes, there is. There's a Hallmark quality to this where the investment banker from Chicago goes on a retreat, no one of those no phone retreats, right, just kind of home in Alabama and reconnect and meets someone that runs like a very rural tree farm, Yeah, and decides gonna give it all up and help run the tree farm instead. Yeah. I like that. So in this instance, maybe Brett Buelama worked in corporate lumber, Yeah, and came home. It was like, oh my god, Illinois. I don't know. We come from different but at the same time they have so much in common. Yeah.
Speaker 2: People are either going to love this sh show or that's what's gonna happen. That's true of most shows.
Speaker 1: That's what's that's what's gonna happen here.
Speaker 2: Do you like this marriage? By the way, just like superficially speaking, do we like Bilma and Illinois together.
Speaker 1: I think I think they can open up a charming used bookstore. They're never gonna hit the riches, but I think they could become a staple of their community, and so I'm rooting for that. Maybe serve some scones and tea.
Speaker 2: I like it does not strike me as a scone kind of guy.
Speaker 1: Dan Oh multiple scones. I've seen the pictures of him. He's doing no fat shaming here. I just imagine he likes multiple scones. I like multiple scones.
Speaker 2: Sure, I just don't strike him as refined enough to be into scones.
Speaker 1: I'm so insulting. He needs red meat.
Speaker 2: That's what he needs. Okay, he's a growing boy. Uh where do we want to go next?
Speaker 1: Do you get to pick next? Let's go Miami in Manny Diaz. Great hair, great hair.
Speaker 2: I know you, yeah, yeah, great head of hair. Familiarity with the area, Manny Diaz. If you're Miami, you're looking at Manny Diaz has been there before. You've always sort of known about Manny Diaz. He's always been in your circles. Knows your hometown. Dad was the mayor your hometown.
Speaker 1: Yeah, who wouldn't want to have many Diaz in their arm. Great head of hair.
Speaker 2: Has definitely been somebody who has been talked about in circles for many, many years. So whoever gets Manny Diaz like they got it made? Where are they lucky now? Now Miami's got Manny Daz correct. I don't know if the early going with the Many Diaz thing has been quite the the envious experience that the Hurricanes had expected or hoped for. Now they were able to get dear King, We're able to attract some talent, some flash trying to recapture that that swagger.
Speaker 1: No, I think it was more than that though though great defensive line last year, got after the quarterback, really fun aggressive defense. Jalen Phillips Rochet, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean I feel like the best is yet to come of this relationship. I remain very hopeful here that this is a relationship with a lot of unrealized potential. It just might take some time. Like many relationships, it has to develop organically over the course of time. Many Diaz is still trying to find his way here as Hurricanes football coach. I I feel optimistic.
Speaker 1: Here, Dan. Do you remember have you seen the movie The Graduate? Yes? I have remember the ending scene with stop the weddings, stop the window. It was also spoofed, and I think it was Wayne' World two. There is that element of Miami watching many Diaz as the coach of Temple, knowing that they were more perfect for each other as a couple banging on the glass, stop the running away together themselves getting married, but not fully knowing the rhythms of what a marriage would be like. I think there's been a lot of swings, a lot of ups and downs, and you look at some of the downs last year, the Clemson game, the North Carolina game, a lot of downs, and while the highs are high, the lows are can be pretty embarrassingly low. And so I think there's still a couple figuring things out that some of the lunches together on double dates couldn't have gone better. Some of the brunches, some of the dinners really awkward for another couple or two that they're going back at each other, and that's just it's it becomes very awkward sort of the scene and breaking bad, you know what I'm talking about? The dinner with the dinner and Paul sort of sipping the water uncomfortably looking back and forth. There is that element to Miami and Many Diaz, especially when you look at what quarterback look like before Dearic King this year with the offense has done on the ground or not done on the ground, committing too many penalties. So I think people think they're going to work it out, They're going to find their way. There's too much that they love about each other for it not to work out. But at the same time, you never know if something's going to come up and bite them. Yeah, because there's just so much there's a lot of raw energy and passion between the two of them. Yeah, you got to explain that.
Speaker 2: It just sort of emanates off the two of them. I do wonder if there is a quality to Miami where they are more in love with the idea of a many Daz than Many Daz himself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I see what you're saying, you know, And.
Speaker 2: That worries me that if a year or two from now, Miami has a bunch of friends sit it down and say, look, they just not go anywhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is he gonna propose? Is he not going to propose? Maybe they're not.
Speaker 2: Even really married yet. I don't interesting, And I could see Miami's friend group having a heart to heart with it, saying, look, this isn't going anywhere, right, and that forces Miami to a choice, a heartbreaking choice at that, because again, everyone's rooting for this couple.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: But I do worry that Miami may be more infatuated with the idea of a many Diaz and maybe not just maybe not this one.
Speaker 1: But then again, you see Miami and Manny Diaz do karaoke together. They sing Islands in the Stream at Louisville, and you're like, oh my god, what a couple. What a couple.
Speaker 2: Even when they're not doing kara they finish each other's sentences. They are a very good match.
Speaker 1: The best of them is just so easy. Yeah, but there are those down moments.
Speaker 2: Mac Brown in North Carolina, Dan, mm hmm. Yeah, let's let's unpack this one a little bit more.
Speaker 1: Mac Brown.
Speaker 2: You talked earlier about the relationship between herm Edwards and Asu the older gentleman, maybe right, younger spouse. Is that not true for mac Brown?
Speaker 1: Yes? I think they were. They were high school sweethearts and for whatever reason doesn't work out, they are going to get married and have kids in their their town, their hometown. But then mac Brown wanted to go away to college. Maybe he went away to war war and things just changed. Am I comparing the University of Texas to went to war? Oh, a combat zone abroad, somewhat somewhat went to war. He's not one hundred years old. But Okay, I know, I know. No, I think it's one of those things. Of course that mac Brown thought he was going to have it better elsewhere, and for a long time he did. But there's just there's nothing like coming home. There's nothing like coming home ty, coming back where the people appreciate you for who you are, not for who you aren't. How about that? I do you know?
Speaker 2: So if we if we look at herm in ASU, you talk about one partner who is generations older.
Speaker 1: M hm than the other.
Speaker 2: I feel like that is the case to some extent with Mac and UNC. But UN sees more of an old soul like it sort of fits. And plus there is more familiarity there. They do know each other, and I think Mack Brown has proved an adaptability. He really has these first couple of years where he's been with UNC or back with UNC. Now it's been really successful. They have for sure gone places, gone to new heights in these first couple of years in a way that I don't think many of us in college, forble media expected. Everybody likes mac Brown. Everybody is rooting for mac Brown. No one was rooting actively against mac Brown unless you're maybe a Duke fan. I don't even know if Duke fans care about this football rivalry. But Mac Brown has clearly I think, proven his metal here. So I root for this couple. Mac Brown is damn likable. UNC has had flashes over the years, They've had stars move through that football program. Going to pretend that it's been like a sustained chain of success at Chapel Hill in the football field, it hasn't right, kind of an unknown quantity there. So I feel a sense of joy and optimism for this relationship.
Speaker 1: I think you're leaving out something important. I think the fire is burning. Yeah, I think so. I'm not even talking embers. I'm talking big flames.
Speaker 2: Tie.
Speaker 1: I think people expected happy little marriage, see the grandkids, you know, have fun, But there is so much more passion behind closed doors.
Speaker 2: You're thinking this is a Viager commercial, aren't you.
Speaker 1: I'm thinking this is can remember the commercial with the couple each in their own bathtub side by side. I don't know if we're talking about two bathtubs tie.
Speaker 2: And that's that's a little weird for this show. But I get you, is that a visual you want to go to? But no, I did get a visual there, and it does disturb me at least.
Speaker 1: A little bit.
Speaker 2: But yeah, a lot of like flirtatious glances, you know, just vague flirtatious glances like you'd see on one of those lagger commercials.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: I think that's what we're talking about here where it's like they don't come out and say it because that be too much for a commercial, but you know, you know what they're getting at.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, No, I think the sparks of flying TI Yeah hmm, okay. Scott Frost and Nebraska Dan, I worry about this relationship. I worry there. I mean, they're what on again, off again?
Speaker 2: I worry there's double heartbreak on the horizon. I worry that Scott Frost went back home. It was comfortable and made a lot of sense. May have felt pressured into this marriage either by his parents someone else. Parents don't know. And on the flip side, Nebraska, look, it made a lot more sense for Nebraska than maybe it ever did for Scott Frost. Sure, here we are all the success he had. Yeah, here we are a little bit on the rocks. Dan Fair to say a little on the rocks.
Speaker 1: I think Nebraska in this situation or Scott Frost in this situation. One of them is did you watch Parks and rec.
Speaker 2: Sorry taking a sip? No, not, not to the extent that you did.
Speaker 1: I have seen a lot of volatility. There's there's a tammy Tooo situation plagued by Megan Malley and then Ron Swanson, of course Nick Offerman there it's just an on again, off again relationship. Of course, Scott Frost initially goes to Stanford, comes back home to Nebraska where he succeeds, leaves, you know, he's at what Northern Iowa and Oregon and UCF and comes back home. Can't quit each other on again, off again coming home. But what's the adage? Ty, you can never truly go home. And there is that element that volatility there as well, where they just didn't think about what they were getting into with each other. Yeah, they didn't realize the baggage involved when they thought, well, this is perfect we have all the same old friends, same old stomping grounds, but they didn't realize same old issues.
Speaker 2: Issues Scott Frost didn't know about like the forty thousand dollars in credit card debt, Like just little things like that.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry that's attached to me now too. That's the rule? What Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot of situations where his name is the only one on the car loan and he's fine with it because there is a genuine love there. But should he choose to go elsewhere it doesn't wash off?
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, you're not wrong.
Speaker 2: Scott Frost, nebrascal, watch out. SAME's headed for splitzwell crazy kids. Yeah, not Mike Gundy in Oklahoma State. They've been together a long time. Yeah, Mike Gundy may fall a little bit into that category where the partner's wondering, Okay, what'd you say out in public? What you wear out in public? Maybe not the proudest of that, but yeah, it's they've been together.
Speaker 1: For so long. Mm hmm, you sort of accept the other for who they've become.
Speaker 2: It's okay for the most part.
Speaker 1: I think they've been snappy with each other at family functions, you think, and it embarrasses the hell out of their kids and grandkids.
Speaker 2: So I'm assuming you're saying that Mike Gundy is the one who's been the embarrassing party.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah for the most part. Yeah, Mike Gundy in front of the worlds, in front of you know, the family functions, weddings, confirmations, bar mitzvahs, you name it. So it's just you gotta take what he says with the grain of salt, because people are gonna get a little bit riled up about him and his kids. His grandkids know that, like, well, that's just that's just old pop Pop. It's gonna say some stuff. But at the same time, like he's losing friends. M h cousins stops showing up at the functions, right one of the kids makes up it makes up an excuse. A kid makes up an excuse not to come. I think there's that element where maybe Oklahoma State and Mike Gundy, behind closed doors, it's been more of a marriage of convenience. They both have these great jobs. You know, they got this great house, everything's going with, the kids are great every you know, they seem like they have a good life publicly, but behind closed doors, there's a lot of concern. There lot of animosity. This is a situation where maybe, like Mike Gundy's a little too active on Facebook. Oh yeah, definitely.
Speaker 2: All the family members are friends with him, but maybe have muted him.
Speaker 1: They have all muted him. They've all muted.
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, to the extent where there's big news in the Gundhi family and a lot of those closest to him family members don't actually know about it because they've just they've muted that social media feed.
Speaker 1: Oh definitely.
Speaker 2: And I'm not saying this, you know, I'm not even touching up against the political angle here, which we know exists. But maybe he's just an oversharer yep. Uses Facebook like it's Twitter. We all know people like that.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. Got to get every thought out there, got to get it out there. A lot of uncomfortable memes. Yeah, you feel a little bit for Oklahoma State because nobody can really remember or picture them with anybody else. But also appears Oklahoma State has a track record of not having the best spouses, having the best taste, and.
Speaker 2: Maybe Oklahoma States liked the couple of those posts has encouraged some of that social media behavior.
Speaker 1: I don't know, Yeah, I think that's right. Yeah, I think they're you know, we can remember the good year as well, but it's hard to ignore the full picture.
Speaker 2: I still don't ever see this going for Splitsville. Wow, Okay, I really don't.
Speaker 1: Could you see Gundhy cheating on Oklahoma State or sort of ending things? Ending things? Maybe? Yeah? Yeah? Yeah? Which do you think would end things? First? It seems like Gundhi's tried to end things. Gundhi's had wandering eyes and just thinking that, you know, maybe this spouse isn't good enough for him. Yeah, maybe there's a better spouse in Knoxville. But ultimately, Oklahoma State has been the most familiar. Ultimately, he's a still water guy, has the long track record. But at this point, I think he may have missed his window. I think he's got a little saggy saggy watch out. Yeah, I think his hearing's going a little bit. I just think the appeal of Mike Gundy to another school perhaps wasn't what it was in twenty fourteen. Final two. Mature and gravity have taken its course.
Speaker 2: Final two, and I feel like each is on a different side of the relationship spectrum.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: On one hand, we've got Luke Fickle and Cincinnati. On the other we've got gusmels On and UCF. Yeah, so of course we know the drill here. Luke Fickle has been tremendously successful in his relationship with Cincinnati, so much so that definitely a lot of wandering guys out there, people asking the questions on him though, on him, on him, do you want to be the fouk Fickle? And on the flip side, with gusmels On, who was a darling for many years with Auburn Tigers, that relationship recently dissolved, UCF was in a position needed that warm body quick they're able to pick up Gus mels On.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm, I have I'm going to try to be vague about this, okay, please do. I have a friend who's friends with a or friendly with a moderately famous actor, and when that actor was younger and began dating his now wife, his friends all said, she's real nice, not what I expected from somebody he would date. Oh, very different, okay, real sweet, just not what we'd expected for them for him in a long term relationship. So that's not a compliment. It's different. No, no, no, not a compliment. Hard to take that as a compliment. If somebody's immediately talking about your personality and not necessarily the full picture, then not full compliment.
Speaker 2: Now it doesn't feel like a compliment the way that you describe it.
Speaker 1: But everybody thinks this pseudo famous actor is great, great looking, charming, funny, just like huh, that's a different direction than what I would have expected. And Luke Fikele clearly loves Cincinnati, feels like Cincinnati is great for him, has turned down the wandering eyes of others, and Luke Fickel is he's done such a great job in this relationship. Super attentive, organized, considerate, still brings the fire. I mean, Luke Fikele and Cincinnati and arrest on bathroom. You didn't hear it from me, but is the complete complete package. The concern, though, is Luke Fikel wants to build a bigger house. Luke Fikel wants to go on bigger vacations, and Cincinnati's just like, well, I like our little cottage. Well, you know, I like going to the Poconos, I like going to the Adirondacks. I don't know about Europe, I don't know about Asia. You're saying this is an introvert extrovert. I think there is that element where it plays really well. There's a good yin and yang to Luke Fickle Cincinnati, but maybe there's a more pronounced yang to Fickle's y. Have you ever taken the Myers Briggs test? I haven't, and I'm terrified. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't think it's a real scientific measure, but it's a measure of something, and I think it's something like they say you're a good match if you've got three of the same letters, but each of you has, you know, or maybe it's two of the same letters. There's some overlap there that if you get your four letters and it's relatively the same as somebody else, that it's usually a good measure that it's going to be a decent match. I feel like maybe only one of the letters is a match here, and Luke Fickle's happy where he's at doesn't mean everything to him. But over the long haul, that's when the personalities come out. That's when Luke Fickle starts looking in the mirror and saying, do I really want this?
Speaker 1: Is what's You're also talking about Cincinnati being the one to notice him he's flying beneath the surface, beneath the radar. Nobody's considering Luke Fickle to be the next great husband, but Cincinnati's had their eye on him for quite some time and he completely fulfilled and beyond Bearcat's expectations. And so there's that sense of loyalty that lists the pop singar. This is the pop star who had the high school spouse. I guess not high school spouse, maybe I don't know. No, do your thing, Jerry Lee Lewis this one the high school partner? Yeah, and then blew up and got famous. And in this case, Luke Fickle to pop stars still with that high school sweetheart. Sure. Interesting, but you kind of know, you kind of know that with Luke Fickle going on tour and it's just gonna be tough. It's gonna be there in two different wavelengths in terms of how well known each entity is.
Speaker 2: They're going to have a come to Jesus moment where they both just get it out in different places in life.
Speaker 1: Get it out in the open.
Speaker 2: I feel like this is going to be an amicable breakup when it happens, it will happen, It's gonna be amicable and they're both publicly and I think genuinely going to root for each other, stay friends with the kids, stay friends for the kids. It's going to be a good religationship.
Speaker 1: Luke Fikel has a good relationship with new Dad at Cincinnati. It's like, hey, here's where the circuit breaker is.
Speaker 2: Maybe he has extra tickets to the game and invites him a long.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a seamless transition.
Speaker 2: Meant the new dad too, Yeah, sure, could be a friend of his, could be yeah, could be interesting.
Speaker 1: Interesting. I think we're on the same page. I think we're lying there. Do we have any other names here that we need to come I think Gus Malson is clearly somebody who was in a very trying relationship ultimately was dumped but got a great beach house out of it and just just wants to boogie board, drink a cold beer with somebody, toes in the sand and found somebody who just wants to be chill. Founds that that match and I think easy to get along with bunching. They love the same stuff on Netflix. She loves that he has glasses, like there's just it's just easy. Is he easy to ree the character from forgetting Sarah Marshall. Oh interesting, he wasn't a love story participants in that movie, but yeah, just a free spirit. There's some pain behind those eyes. He saw it with UCF. Yeah. Maybe you know what, I'll go a different Paul Red movie if you will allow me to. What if he is the Jason Siegel character from I Love You Man. It's living in Venice, eating fish tacos, doing his thing. Doesn't have to worry about the rat race downtown. Been there, done that right, living in a cottage. H Will he get put into a headlock and put to sleep by the Hulk Lufarigno? Maybe? Maybe in that case, I guess that is Luke Fickle in Cincinnati. But yeah, I think there's a big sigh of relief from gustmels On. Yeah, he was walking on eggshells with his ax, didn't want to say the wrong thing, didn't want to put the remote control in the wrong place. She was always going to yell at him for something. And now he just has a weight off of his shoulders. Boogie board, eat fish tacos, and exhale. This has been one of the weirdest shows we've ever done in Orlando, Florida. Nowhere near the beach.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh no, okay, so right in solid Verboat gmail dot com.
Speaker 1: Let us know your thoughts on each of our breakdowns as well as the concept here. I think people are going to have very strong opinions.
Speaker 2: It will go one way or the other. I can tell you yeah, they're going to love it or hate it. Maybe not to the Moana extreme.
Speaker 1: We've done this show before. I think like twenty seventeen maybe I think that might have been more risque the twenty seventeen probably. Yeah, now we're old. Can I ask you a question? It depends. Here's what we're to do here. I want to ask you a question, but here's what we're gonna do. You've been dodging my podcast within a podcast called How's Your Marriage for so long. What I want you to do is I want you to start answering this question. But as you start answering the question, I want you to in post fade out your answer and put on some sort of Divorgeac track as an ode to Jade hoy Socer producer in the NBA universe. And we are only going to put this podcast within a podcast available. We're going to make it available to our patrons. W You can learn more for Ballers dot com for a limited time.
Speaker 2: This is the first I'm hearing of this, but so far I'm okay.
Speaker 1: With This is the plan I thought about when we were walking, because I have so many questions for this podcast within a podcast for some people How's your Marriage? And I want you to I think we we can use whatever language we want to use. And I don't think this will become available to anybody. You don't want it to become avail, won't I want?
Speaker 2: On my end, this is a huge bear trap that I inadvertently walked into.
Speaker 1: Correct. Yeah, so here's what we're gonna do. Because we we love hanging out with everybody in our Patreon dot com ors dot com. This secret podcast within a podcast called How's Your Marriage is only going to be available there if people want to learn about our marriages. That's that's all? Is that? Okay? So? Can I can I ask you how's your marriage? Is it good? My marriage is terrific? Yes? How about you? Well, I'm glad you asked. I have some thoughts. Okay, that's the end. How I don't know how long that went, twenty minutes or so of How's your Marriage? Yeah? I honestly, this is this is totally true. I'm not just saying this to say it. That was probably the most open you've ever been. Yeah, most vulnerable and revealing. I cried a little bit. I'm totally serious. This is not a bit. I learned stuff during that about your marriage. I'm not glad to learn it and me of you. But hold on, can we dive in real quick? We just got done. We just dove out. Oh okay, fine, fine, it'll be part two, Part two, Part two, Okay, cools dot com. That was intense.
Speaker 2: So look soliverbal at gmail dot com. Again is the email, follow us on social the Patreon forballers dot.
Speaker 1: Com where you can go to fund the goods.
Speaker 2: Also going out to the website seliverbal com. We got a newsletter. Sign up form there says join the newsletter. It's in a big yellow box. It gives your email. We're not gonna spam you. We're gonna send you fun stuff, we promise.
Speaker 1: I like hearing that. I think that's all I have. Dan. Should we do a housier marriage newsletter written by our spouses? The top and bottom five things about Ty and Dan? Yeah, that could be sign up for the newsletter of intenth. My guess is that both would say we're not as funny as we think. Oh my god, do you have the thing where they tell you that you recycle the same jokes. It's so I've made this joke to you and you think it's funny, which might mean that we're a better parent we are with our spouses. But my webinar goof the webinar, I love the webinar goof Jody does not no and have I done it on the show? I think you've done it multiple I think I have yeah where I get something. Yeah, I get something mildly right. And then I explained to you that you can be as bright as I am by taking my webinar. Jody is not a fan. Wow really where like I explain something that turns out to be true. I may explained Dan explain something obnoxiously, but it turns out to be true. And then I say, you know there's more here that I can share knowledge wise. If you just go to Santa Humstein dot net, there's my webinar. I can get the free webinar. Hates that with a fiery passion.
Speaker 2: I like that goof and I find that she's not wrong when she says that I recycled the same content over of course, I just continue to think it's funny.
Speaker 1: And she does not. That's the issue. Okay, that's Jody. Don't lave us, Yeah, please don't.
Speaker 2: This has been our marriage show, yes, our steamy marriage college football show.
Speaker 1: Indeed right in let us know your thoughts. We will be back.
Speaker 2: It is our public Q and a episode do one every month here in the office season. You can find out more about that on the Thursday download, which is coming your way. Dan, you put a call out to folks asking what do you and I continuously get wrong?
Speaker 1: Yes, about your team, about any team, about any college football topic, or about any non college football topic. What do Tye and Dan get annoyingly and consistently wrong on the show, and be specific because we get a lot wrong. So we are going to address this. This is our either maya Kulpa or double down show.
Speaker 2: It'll be fun for that guy over there, my good friend Dan Rubinstein, for myself, Tie Hildebrand. We'll talk to you all on Thursday in the meantimes day Sung Peace,