Speaker 1: No one has all the answers, but when we ask the right questions, we get a little closer, closer to truths, closer to each other, even closer to ourselves. I'm journalist Danielle Robe and each week, my guests and I come together to challenge the status quo and our own ways of thinking by daring to ask what it, why not? And who says? So? Come curious, dig deep, and join the conversation. It's time to question everything. Hello. Hello, I hope you're having a beautiful day. I really do. If you can hear in my voice, I swear I'm having a great day. I just am a little bit under the weather, and I'm going to share why because it's so interesting. I think I've really been focusing on my health recently. And you know, when I turned thirty five this year, I was like, I want to like really push my body and see what I can do. A few years ago, I know some of you know this, that I trained for a triathlon. It was after my breakup and I needed like purpose and something to like, you know, put all my energy into. And the last few years I've been so busy that I haven't really focused on my workouts. I've been just trying to like maintain or make it through. And I love having a physical challenge. So I started working with this trainer, actually two different trainers, and I got a DEXAS scan this morning. Actually, it's really interesting. I have a physician, So UCLA in Los Angeles has a really interesting program. It's the only one in the country. It's like an East West program. So every physician meaning like every just doctor that you go to for your annual checkup, has graduated from Eastern medicine school and Western medicine school. So Western medicine meaning like you know somewhere in America for instance, like they went to Duke or toa Wisconsin or Texas, and then they also graduated from an Eastern medicine school. And they ask you all these interesting questions that you know, you probably don't get it a normal physician's office, Like they talk about meditation and how's your stress levels? And what's your emotional health? Like what are your relationships like? And so on and so forth. And you know that I am a full believer in science and vaccines, but I love pairing it with Eastern medicine and a little bit of the WU so to speak. So I see my physician and I told her about my fitness goals and she was like, oh, you should get a Dexa scan. It's fifty nine dollars at a place called body Speck. They have them all over the country, which is interesting, and you can see like your bone density and your body fat percentage, and not only that, it tells you like where your body fat is and if you have visceral fat and so on and so forth. And they really only recommend a Dexa scan for women who are over fifty or sixty because they're looking at your bone density. But for fifty nine dollars, it's not bad to have a baseline and get some information about your body. And I was like, oh, this is so cool. So I did it this morning, got the results from my scan, sent them to the trainer that I'm working with, and he was the one that told me why I'm sick most likely. So that reason is I've noticed that most of the times when I start working out really hard, I love hit workouts. I love lifting weights, and I love like sprinting, you know, like a Barry's boot camp type thing. I go to this place called Bunda in Los Angeles and it's like it's Barry's boot Camp basically, but for a staremaster. And so you go StairMaster weights, StairMaster weights, and I love it, like it hypes me up and it's tough and I see changes in my body, Like I know it's good in that sense, but I have been pushing it too hard, I think because the trainer was like, there's something called the open window hypothesis, and it's not really a hypothesis. There's a lot of research behind it. And when you are work looking out really intensely for about three to seventy two hours post exercise, your immune cells drop significantly. And I have to look into this more. But I'm thinking, you know, I have some stress in my life from work and stuff, and my cortisol is already high. Maybe I need to switch up my workouts and not be doing so much HIT. And you know sometimes you have to switch up your workouts with your age. So anyways, I'm going to keep you posted. I saw this as not turning into a wellness podcast, but I just think it's interesting because I'd never heard of a DEXA scan before. So if you're interested, I wanted to share it with you because I think it's cool just have like baseline information. And yeah, if you find yourself sick like me after hard workouts, it may be these hit workouts that are not right for us in this moment in time right now. Okay, well, I hope that you're all not fighting a cold and are having a great week. And if you are and you're on the struggle bus like me, at least we're in it together. Right. The good news is is that I recorded this episode before I got six, so you don't have to hear me all stuffed up for the next forty minutes. So let's get into it. We're all taught that success will set us free, get good grades, get into the right school, find a prestigious job, grind, climb, achieve all that stuff. But our guest today is honing in on a very unsettling piece of all of this. What if when we finally arrive, we still feel unfulfilled. Today's guest is Brooke Taylor, a former Google executive turned career coach and author who argues that many ambitious women are unknowingly living with what she calls the success wound, the belief that our worth is something we have to earn. Brook says, we've essentially worked on ourselves in reverse achievement as a strategy for self worth instead of self worth as the foundation of healthy aga achievement. As it turns out, these wounds have the potential to upend our lives, which is something Brooke knows all about. As she puts it, her success wound nearly ruined her career at Google and devastated her sense of self, and now she's out with her new book, Healing the Success Wound, which she hopes will help women build themselves back better.
Speaker 2: This is for the people who have hit their bottom and are like, please tell me that there is another way to work. If you're somebody who's wondering, is there a way for me to work in a way that builds me up rather than brace me down? Is there a way for me to feel good about my accomplishments instead of always doubting if I've done enough? If it is enough, then this is who that's for.
Speaker 1: Now, something Brooke talks about in our conversation that really struck me as this how easy it is to confuse achievement with identity and how dangerous that becomes when you're self worth depends on constantly performing, and maybe that's why so many high achieving people can look successful on the outside be quietly falling apart behind the scenes.
Speaker 2: This success one shows up everywhere, but it forms this image that we are constantly comparing ourselves to. And unless we consciously rewrite what that image is, our success one's always going to pick up the pen and draw a picture for us.
Speaker 1: So what if the version of success that we've all been chasing, or even pieces of it, was inherited and not chosen. Today we're digging into that question and a whole lot more, because everyone deserves to enjoy their success and the journey of it, not just use it as a coping mechanism. And if achievement has become the thing you rely on to feel worthy or productive or enough, eventually even success starts to feel exhausting. It's time to question everything. With Brooke Taylor, So, Brook, you worked at Google and you did it. By twenty four years old, you were managing eighty million dollars. Is that true?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: To everyone listening, it really sounds like a twenty four you had it all? Like, what did you not have? Did you feel that way?
Speaker 2: You know? A lot of people dread the question what do you do for work? I couldn't wait for somebody to ask me that. That's the question that I wanted to get to as quickly as possible at parties or on dates so that I could quickly get to my accolades, because that's what I've been kind of groomed and grewed to understand is my whole self worth? Because I didn't feel good about myself. But at the same time, if you tell somebody that you work for Google, they automatically ascribe things like intelligent, hard working interesting to you. And so that was an arena that I felt so comfortable talking about, was my work life.
Speaker 1: I think everything you're saying is going to resonate with a lot of people listening. And you said groomed, which I think is an interesting word. Was that by your parents?
Speaker 2: I would say more culture because growing up I grew up in Silicon Valley in the nineties before it was the Silicon Valley of today, but it was still this promised land where the nerdiest programmers could come and be these rock stars. All they had to do was work really, really, really hard. And so I learned growing up that success comes from hustle and sacrifice. And I also loved movies and TV shows probably similar to you, like Gilmore Girls where she wanted to get into Yale, or even like the OC where like this image of what like a successful young person looked like. And even I went to this prep school where at age eleven, I walked through the halls and all over the walls. It was like Harvard, cal Stanford, and so I grew to understand that that's what success looked like. High achieving, very articulate, well adjusted, did all good things. But inside I never felt like I could live up to that ideal. Now, that gold star chasing mentality got me far to that job at Google, managing eighty million dollars in advertising revenue, at some great brands like Corona, Modello, TGI Fridays, Ruby Tuesdays, Soul Cycle, Cultureal, all these great brands. But on the inside I felt this emptiness, this void that was undeniable.
Speaker 1: It's also hard when there's a dissonance between who you're presenting as and who you feel like you are on the inside. When did you start to recognize the emptiness and think, hmm, maybe something's off here.
Speaker 2: Pretty early on I remember there was this moment I can't remember, maybe I was like twelve or thirteen, and I was trying to put my shoes on to go to school, and I couldn't find my other shoe, and I was looking all over and I was feeling rushed out the door, and I remember taking my shoe and kind of throwing it across the room and saying something like, why do I feel so empty inside? And I remember saying that, literally, those words came out of my mouth when I was thirteen. And I remember saying that again in college to a friend of mine. And when you say that to somebody, their eyes kind of get big and they're like, WHOA, we don't want to go there. And so maybe, looking back now, you could call that depression, right, But as I got older, it wasn't depression so much as this longing for something else, longing to feel reconnected with myself, longing to feel a sense of significance, longing to know who I am and what I stand for. And work could never answer that question so much as I wanted it to. And I think that's the trap that so many of us fall into today. For example, as somebody who's a career coach who talks to people who are dissatisfied in their careers. Think about the words people used to talk about their career dissatisfaction. I've lost faith in leadership. I no longer believe in the mission. I'm looking for my calling, my purpose, my path. I don't know where it is. Those aren't work words. Those are church words, those are religion words, those are spiritual words. And so the problem is not in the seeking for those things. The problem is the fact that as religion has declined in society, we projected onto it those essential human needs onto work, expecting it to give us this sense of community, place, significance, transcendence, purpose, meaning that it just never can. And those are biological human needs. We're hardwired to search for those things in our lives. So again, the issue isn't in the searching. It's the fact that we're searching for it in all the wrong places. And that's really what the success wound is is the pain that comes from mistaking success for self worth, meaning, transcendence and peace.
Speaker 1: I think there are going to be some people listening right now saying WHOA. I feel that so deeply, And there's also going to be people listening right now who say, I don't know. I really like ambition. I feel ambitious. So I want everyone listening to know we're going to get to that, because you actually have a lot of thoughts on that. But before we do, there's a part in your book where you talk about your mom. And your mom was a great feminist, So I do I want to say that? And she would tell you you can be anything that you want to be, And you actually said that. That hurt you in some ways, it was damaging. Can you explain that?
Speaker 2: Sure? So my mom went to Smith College, alma mater of Gloria steinem as well and Betty for Dan, so some amazing feminists, and she wanted me to have a single gender education as well. So I went to this amazing girls school and I was raised on this really esteemable, wonderful second wave feminist movement idea that I can be anything that I want to be in a way that my mom or you know, my grandma couldn't, that all the doors were open for me, that this glass ceiling was shattered. What I took that to mean in my childhood brain is that anything that I could be was actually a very narrow definition of what I should be high, achieving, accomplished, admirable, enviable, that I had to ascend to positions of power traditionally occupied by men because no woman before me had And again I took this to mean it's not anybody else's fault. I took this to mean that unless I was, that I wasn't living up to my potential, and I was maybe even letting my ancestors down. And so that created within me like a pressure cooker, like a really intense pressure cooker, and the belief that if I wasn't the best, then I was the worst. I think again, it took me really far, and I'm so glad I had that idea that I could be anything and do anything. And I think to this day I have this optimistic ideal, but I think what it created in myself and a lot of other women our age is this purpose anxiety, this oh my gosh, I need to find my thing, I need to find my path. Sky's the limit, but holy crap, sky's the limit. That means I can do anything, And an abundance of options actually creates this decision paralysis. I think in a lot of our careers where it's like should I go left or right. Oh she has a cool thing going. Oh they're making money over there, or AI's a good thing, or should I be doing influencing. It's this abundance of options that creates this comparison and this analysis paralysis that I think is doing us more harm than good at this phase of life.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. I think you're speaking to a lot of people's souls right now. Do you feel like in your house there were implicit messages? Because I ask only I think there were explicit messages in my house, and then there were implicit messages about ambition, like my parents would say, like we get straight a's. So I knew explicitly that was something that was expected of me, But implicitly they never talked about, you know, me being valedictorian. There was really nothing else that was said, but I felt pressure. I knew that they expected excellence. Right, So do you think there were implicit messages shared with you?
Speaker 2: I had a lot of explicit and certainly a lot of implicit, And as a firstborn daughter who was always looking for that approval, I would look for the smile, the eyes getting big, the warm hug. So a couple that I remember, you know, my dad would drive me to school every day for seven years, and I remember saying something once like, well, if I'm not going to be the best at it, then why bother trying? And he kind of looked at me to the side and smiled really big, and I took that to me and as like, that's my girl. Yes, that's something that we do together, me and my dad, Like we try really hard, and we're ambitious, and if we're not going to be the best, then we're the worst. And that sense of belonging and attachment is something that I craved. Another time is my dad also dared me to get straight a's on my report card. It was the first and the last time I ever did that. I worked really hard. I brought it home and he picked me up and spun me around and said, I'm so proud of you. He didn't say this is expected, he didn't say I won't love you unless but he did pick me up and spin me around. And I've never seen him more proud, even to this day. So those implicit things can you harm as much as the explicit ones too. It's what's said and what's unsaid that is constantly being taken in as children.
Speaker 1: So you write in the book that your success wound, which we're going to explain what that is, but that your success wound nearly ruined your promising career at Google. Was there a specific moment, a meeting, a Sunday night, a doctor's visit where you realize that something inside of you was breaking.
Speaker 2: It was three things that happened in a very short period of time. I think the universe, you know, had thrown pebbles, and now it was throwing bricks, and it threw three all at once. And leading up to that time, my life kind of looked like this. Monday through Thursday. I would work really hard. I'd get to inbox zero, I would close the deal, I would create the pitch deck, I would do the meeting, and come Friday afternoon, I would be so exhausted that I would turn to alcohol and partying to numb both the stress but also the quiet pain underneath of not feeling good enough over the last few days, and so I would party. I'd wake up on Sunday exhausted, demoralized, most likely having woken up in other places. I shouldn't have been doing things that didn't align with my character. And so what would I do. I'd throw myself back into work in order to prop back up my self esteem. So this went on for six years or so, and it finally came to a screeching halt when these three things happened in succession. The first is that I was sexually harassed by my direct manager at Google, but I didn't want to report it, not because I didn't know what was wrong, not because there wasn't you know, an HR team that would have taken me seriously, but because I was up for promotion and I didn't want to rock the boat. I didn't want to anger or embarrass him.
Speaker 1: I just want to pause because I think what you're saying is so important. I know I've felt that way. This is not sexual harassment. But I was being paid sixty thousand dollars less than my male co host in Chicago. And there was a writer at the Chicago Tribune who was like, when you leave, let's do a story about it. And I was like, absolutely not. Like when people Google search my name, I was not in a place where I knew I could ever get another job. That's not something I want to come up. And I think about that a lot now. And I also feel as if there's a whole aspect here about financial security that doesn't get spoken about a lot as it relates to harassment, because is when you are able to be in a position of either financial power or like social power in a situation, you can walk away. But when you're up for a promotion at Google and you want that promotion, and you're young, and you're saving money and you're struggling. Even though you're at Google, you're still young. You know you don't have a lot. There is so much pressure to just say I'm going to figure this out and muscle through it.
Speaker 2: You're so right. It's the emotional cost of going through reporting something like that. It's the reputational impact of that long term, it's the financial impact of being a young person living in a city and sure making a great living, but let's be honest, cost of living is really high, and so it all feels so insurmountable. So what do you do. You just kind of bury it and move on, And that's what I did. But at the same time I was making that decision of like, I'm just gonna move on, But also it was this out of body the experience where I could look at all the events that transpired to get me here and say, this is not the person that I'm meant to be, This is not the person I was raised to be, and I don't want this for myself anymore. And so that was one of those moments I remember even after it happened. I called my friend and roommate who also worked at Google, and I said to her it was kind of prophetic. I was like, I don't know what's going to happen from here on out, but something has to change.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: And the next thing that did change for me was that I ended up getting sober and I ended up going through a recovery process and essentially looked at my behavior in my side of the street and was like, okay, Like I have a dependence on alcohol, I also have a dependence on external validation and approval and significance, and I need to find another way of working, but I also need to take this piece out of the equation for myself. And then the final thing that happened for me was that my father was diagnosed with terminal cancer. And just that in and of itself, whenever somebody close to you gets that diagnosis, you question, you look at your decisions in your life and you take inventory. But the fact that that happened in November and these other things happened in October and September, it caused me to really question everything and look at all of my decisions and say, okay, I need to really reevaluate my life, my relationship with my work, and my self worth. And that was really the very slow start of something else.
Speaker 1: First of all, thank you for sharing all of that. And I also want to mention that you hadn't shared publicly what happened at Google until you wrote the book.
Speaker 2: Right correct, Yeah, I haven't and hadn't shared. In fact, my publisher was like, are you sure? Are you sure? And I said, yeah, I'm sure. It's been ten years. This is something that happened. It did happen. Although my you know, trauma can say did this really happened? It was it really that bad? And I will say, just to put a finer point on it, that a few years later I did report it. I had a very good experience with HR. They did an investigation, this person was terminated, and you know, the company did the right thing.
Speaker 1: Basically, I'm really happy to hear that, because that doesn't happen all the time. No, can I ask you why you chose to report it, like what happened a few years later that you felt emboldened to report it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was October twenty seventeen. Me too was happening in a big way the tech walkouts. Do you remember that Google and other tech companies were having these walkouts and somebody who was very senior at the company did in all hands and essentially kind of looked into the camera and was said, if anything like this has happened to you, please come forward. And so I decided to come forward, emboldened by that great leadership and saying essentially like this isn't tolerated, and again, great leadership, something good that had happened, But I still had to see this person in the hallway. This person continued to be my manager for another two years. It really did impact my career and my sense of place and belonging at the company. I left shortly after because I wanted to start my business and I had done a lot of recovery and done a lot of work on myself, but that was something that really did impact me for a few years to follow.
Speaker 1: So you write that the success swound is the pain of mistaking success for self worth.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's right.
Speaker 1: I was reading your book and I was thinking, oh my god, this is so hard to write about. I don't know how you wrote a book about this, because that line can feel almost invisible. What is the difference between a healthy ambition and a wound talking?
Speaker 2: It's a great question, and that line can be hard. But let me give you an example. So when I got this book deal, I got pregnant a couple months later, and I decided that I wanted to write every single word of this book. I wanted to still run my business, and I wanted to do it all before the baby came. And so this is what my day looked like. I'd get up at five am, I'd write. Between five and ten am, I would take client calls. I would be doing marketing, running a business, and I'd go to sleep at eight and do it all over again. Now, from the outside, people could look at that and say that's unhealthy. You should slow down, you don't have to do it all. You could get a ghostwriter, and a lot of people did try to say that to me. I was exhausted. I did deprioritize my social life my friendship suffered. But the reason why this was healthy ambition and that this was just an example of my work ethic is because I believed so deeply in this message and I wanted it to come from me, and I felt energized, inspired my best self. When I was writing and running my business, I didn't want to close the business down because I wanted to stay close to my clients so that I could stay close to this success wound in other people, so I could write it from a place of not theory, but true application. And so again, from the outside, that could look like hustle culture, it could look like a million different things. But for me, I knew this was a good choice for me. Now, there have been other times in my life where if I was doing that from a place of, oh my gosh, I need to prove myself. What happens if this book comes out and it's a piece of crap. What happens if my book is delayed and my publishers mad at me? You know, Oh God, this isn't good enough. And those thoughts did come through my mind. But when I'm working for from that place, from that wounded place, that's when I get stressed. That's when I'm not sleeping anxieties running the show. I'm prone to depression. I'm working to prove myself and to fill a hole rather than working from collaboration. So the interesting thing about our ambition and that line is that it's like a lamp, our ambition, but unlike the lamp in your apartment or our houses, it only has two outlets. Our ambition can be plugged into a wound and to a place of fear, lack and scarcity, or our ambition can be plugged into our true self, our place of curiosity, collaboration, creativity, playfulness, and presence, and our ambition can get plugged into one and the other, all within a single day or minute, kind of depending on where we're at. But that healthy ambition, you know you're in alignment with that when things feel expansive, flowing, challenging, but appropriately so and very interested. So I give that example about the book because again, look a million different ways from the outside, but you have to know it within yourself.
Speaker 1: I really like that imagery, and tell me if I'm internalizing it correctly. But I'm thinking, like a very easy question to ask yourself, is this lighting me up? Or is this draining me? Well said, yes, do you feel like and I guess asking for a friend aka me. You know, my work lights me up, and there are elements of my work that drain me, but they're necessary to get everything done that does light me up. So is there like a percentage here that you can think about?
Speaker 2: Yeah, based on my research, you know, esteemable work has three things. One, it uses your strengths more often than not, which put you into a state of flow. The second, it's of the highest good for yourself, your end user, the business, everybody, so meaning you're not creating destruction or distortion or manipulation in the marketplace for example, right. And the third thing is that it's in alignment with your values. So if these three things are met more often than not, so I would say fifty one percent of the time, then that's a career that I think is like an ideal path for you without putting purpose anxiety on it. But I'm the same. The thing I loved the most about working at Google was the people. I loved walking into a beautiful building, being at my desk, being surrounded by thousands of really intelligent people. As a coach, author, somebody who works for themselves. There's nobody around me ever, right. But the thing that I wanted more than anything else my non negotiables was a sense of meaning, feeling emotionally attached to the work that I was doing, and autonomy, being able to call the shots in my work. And those were two things that were lacking in my previous career. So I said to myself, and this is a prompt that I give to any of my clients. Solve for two things that are most essential in your career, and be okay with the trade offs, the admin, the travel, the maybe lone holiness sometimes because those are always trade offs and nothing's perfect, right right.
Speaker 1: I love that you mentioned, meaning, are there other things that you find that women in particular are seeking in their careers.
Speaker 2: Yes, the kind of main ones are meaning flexibility, autonomy, a sense of being again appropriately challenged, like that sense of mastery. People also can define that as like growth, wanting to grow certain skill sets in a way, those are kind of the primary ones. What we tend to find fulfillment breaks down is not so much in what people are working on, but how they're working. Fulfillment really comes from our working styles and our ways of working, rather than the content of the work. It's ah, which is fascinating because sixty percent of the people that come to me saying I need a new job, I don't like what I'm doing, my manager sucks, I don't feel connected to what I'm doing, I don't have faith in leadership. Sixty percent of those people end up staying in their job, not because the content of the work has changed, but because there are ways of working and relating to the work shift. And that's really the power of healing our success wound and learning to work in a new way is that we experience fulfillment from the inside out.
Speaker 1: That's very cool to learn. I like how much research you share in the book. It's not overwhelming in any way, but you said that out of five thousand women at companies like Google and McKinsey, you identified these five types of unfulfilled achievers. Will you walk us through the archetypes? You have the grinder, the pleaser, the hider, the seeker, and then the work hard, play hard. So let's start with the grinder. Who is she?
Speaker 2: The grinder is the person that wants to have more, be more, and do more. One of my clients who's a grinder described herself as the type of shark that you see on Shark Week that's constantly in motion and dies if it stops. It's the person that feels almost like a high from crossing something off there to do list, and only feels valuable so long as they're moving, producing, and doing now. The grinder obviously has a great work ethic. The shadow side of the grinder is that they tend to work past the point of diminishing returns, like they spin their wheels on things that don't matter, and they tend to lose sight, lose the forest through the trees a little bit. The second is the hyder. This is the person who shows up most often. This is the person who seems successful from the outside but secretly harbors bigger dreams or aspirations for her career. She's playing it small in some way, and it might not be visible, but she knows it. She optimizes towards responsibility, loyalty, wanting to stay in one place so that she can be the expert at something and feel safe in her career comfort zone. But that comfort zone starts to feel like a prison because it silently kind of erodes her self esteem. The third is the pleaser. So this is the person who's constantly wondering are you mad at me? Or are they mad at me? Who's always in their inbox being like what was that tone? They used a period instead of an explanation point. They asked to see me, you know later this day. In their head, it catastrophizes. They tend to have an anxious attachment style and to have social anxiety in other ways. Then we have the seeker. This is the person we all have a friend like this who spends their mental energy on a spectrum of career confused to full blown existential crisis, maybe sometimes all in the same day. They have a million different ideas. It's like, oh my god, Danielle, I finally found it, like I'm going to do this, or oh my god, I have this business idea, or I have this investment opportunity and it's going to be so amazing. We get bought into their vision, but over time you see the pattern and realize that their restlessness, irritability, and discontentedness will never be solved because they keep looking for the shiny object. And then we have the work hard, play hard. This is what I was when I was at Google. This is the person who lives their life in extremes. They want to be booked and busy. They want to be enviable and extraordinary in every way, not just in how they achieve, but how they vacation, how they party. They love having eyes on them. It doesn't have to be just somebody in their twenties. The work hard, play hard that I use in the book is a working mom who lives on a farm in Texas. She just turns to unhealthy coping mechanisms and calls it balance. They tend to have addictive personality types, but they're also really fun to be around. Now, Akougla is more of a work hard, play hard, but today I'm more of a pleaser hider. Actually, I find that even though you know I'm writing this book and going on these podcasts and stuff like that, Like, there are so many ways in which I have that kind of perfectionism that shows up as hiding. Do you relate to any of these?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I appreciate you saying that. I was thinking, I think I relate most to the grinder. This year, a lot of my work, like self work, has been trying to unravel not doing it all, like actually saying yes to rest in some ways instead of doing more, accomplishing more other The question for you is, because this can this change throughout your life stages? But I'm hearing you say yes, so like you can identify most with one and then I don't know, maybe you become a mom and it totally shifts. If you identify with one and you don't heal the success wound, do you usually identify with something else later on?
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely, it just shape shifts because all these are our protective coping mechanisms that we use to shield us from the pain of being seen as incompetent, inadequate, not enough, And so as long as that pain is still there, we're going to use all the coping mechanisms in our arsenal. And some people are like, why isn't there a perfectionist, Why isn't there an inner critic? Why isn't there like a self doubt? All of these parts have perfectionism in our critic self doubt laced throughout them. But I find that these constellations of behaviors are most common, specifically and high achieving women. And yes, we all cycle through them, maybe all the single day or depending on our phase of life or we have one career and then we switch careers, and that demands a different part of us.
Speaker 1: For example, I want to dig deeper into what you just said. You find that these show up in high achieving women most often, and you write in the book that women in power are more burned out, more anxious, and more depressed than men in power. My first question to you is is that really true?
Speaker 2: Yes, So the research says that women tend to have higher rates of anxiety and depression the higher that they climb, and at a disproportional rate to men. Now, it didn't say why. It didn't say why. I think that would require a sociological study. My hypothesis goes back to kind of this promise that we all had, especially as young people, that the higher we climb, the more we get to the top, the more satisfied that we'll be, the more power we'll have, the more autonomy or flexibility or responsibility we'll get. Right, Like, how many times have you said to yourself or have I said to myself, you know, when I get through this busy season then and then all relax.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Brooke, I'm embarrassed. That's all I said.
Speaker 2: I just got to get through that. I just got to get through the spread and then exactly, and then more things come on. You're like, yeah, I could take that on. Okay, well I'm already on the East coast, so I could just toss that in that grinder. Is kind of like a camel, right. But I think again, underneath that is the promise. That is a cultural promise that the more that we have, the better we'll feel about ourselves. And that's not a personal again, that's a cultural promise that has been kind of manipulated within us, and I think exacerbates our success wound, and especially for women. You know, I think we have so many other parts of ourselves that want to be expressed that can't be expressed the more demands there are on our time and our energy, and I think we feel that on a soul level.
Speaker 1: I agree with you entirely. And I have another part of the hypothesis I'm curious about. Please and you can totally tell me if you think I'm nuts. But one of my best friends from college just started dating somebody like six seven months ago, and she's a high achieving attorney and he's high achieving in his field, and she's like, now, that I have a boyfriend that I see works like just as hard as me, which she hadn't had in the past, and we're on a schedule, like so we wake up, we have coffee, we work out, et cetera. She was like, I see explicitly how much more time he has in the day than I do because I am a woman. And she adds up all these sort of invisible hours of like she has to do her hair and like she does minimal makeup, but like that, and then she has to go do an errand or two that he doesn't have to do. And I think all this time stuff adds up to women feeling just so burned out.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm, yeah. I love carin Low's research on this. She wrote a book called Having It All and like the behavioral economics behind the invisible labor that women take on. And you know, I was asked a question at one point which was, you know who has the hardest time succeeding in the workplace? And I cited some research about the fact that women without kids actually have the highest burden on their time because it's the people who are perceived to be as capable, competent, and flexible, right that end up being given so much of this invisible labor, and it struck a bit of a chord because the women with kids say, hey, wait, I have so much more invisible labor on me. But I think the truth is is that women in general have so much invisible labor on them, and we hold ourselves to an incredibly high standard because in school, we're really good at understanding what are the rules, what are the markers we need to hit, how can I organize myself and my life in order to charge through that? But there's been so much research to say that the world doesn't reward perfection, it rewards bravery. And I think that that bravery to have the difficult conversation or to set the boundary or to say no, I'm not going to do that is the thing that maybe we're not conditioned to do, which causes that invisible labor.
Speaker 1: Wait, say more about that. There's research to say that the world rewards bravery.
Speaker 2: Yeah, women are typically raised to be perfect. So Rene Brown did research around that that said, how do women and men experience shame along gender lines? Mostly for women it's around this notion of balance, appearance, perfection, and for men it's around being a provider, and so for us throughout our school system, it's very very much engineered for us to say, Okay, I hit this milestone, I get an achievement. I hit that milestone, I get in achievement, and that inculcates within us again perfection. If I study the perfect way, if I answer all the questions, if I follow the rules, then I will get rewarded. But the world really doesn't work like that, does it. Corporations work like that, but I don't think entrepreneurship necessarily works like that.
Speaker 1: I'm curious how you feel this wound, the success wound, shows up in relationships and health, in the way we parent. How do you see it showing up in other areas?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, it's interesting because my story of my success ideal, the image of the perfect, optimal or good working woman today looks like the effortless entrepreneur, right, somebody who's invited into all the right rooms, whose revenue goes up into the right quarter after quarter, who naturally signs clients and tracks people to her, who has all their systems on lock. But when I talk to people about this image, for others, it's I want to have this family, and I want to have this career and I want to have both, or for some people it's like, you know, I want to be traveling the world and I want to be involved in different cultures and different ideas in different spaces and places. I want this exotic life. You know, it really doesn't matter what your image is, but I think we all have it, and it's unconscious, and I share that just to say I think all of it pertains to success. And I don't mean just like achievement, but I mean like goodness, optimal, the vision that we have for the person that we're subconsciously comparing ourselves to. And the interesting part about the success wound is that if we don't set our standard for what's enough, our success wound is always going to set it for us. And so, you know, I had this moment where I was early on in my you know, recovery process and trying to make decisions from my good judgment and my intuition and you know, saying no when I meant no, and staying in instead of going out. And even though my work hard, play hard changed, wellness had become my new obsession and I was, you know, instead of working really hard Monday through Thursday and partying. On the weekends. I was going to therapy, I was going to meditation classes, I was going to yoga, I was going to breath work, I was going to cheegong, I was going on retreats, and I was doing all of that.
Speaker 1: We're going to be the best healer to ever heal exactly.
Speaker 2: I was like, I will ace my healing. But again it was coming from there's something wrong with me. There's something broken within me that I need to fix. And so once again I found myself crying in a phone room, and that was always my telltale sign. I was like, something's wrong if I'm crying in a phone room again. And so, to answer your question, you know, this success wound shows up everywhere, but it forms this image that we are constantly comparing ourselves to. And unless we consciously rewrite what that image is our success woond's always going to pick up the pen and draw a picture for us.
Speaker 1: You just said something that made such a light bulb go off for me because I have been feeling like a dating failure and and I recently had this realization like I was like, oh, I'm not the problem, I'm not broken, I'm not blocked. I just haven't found the person for me, And now I'm thinking maybe I need to switch cities, not forever, but just intermittently. But we can talk about that later. But you're really making a light bulb go off for me because I think a lot of times and I really love self awareness. So you know, thinking about your side of the street, as you so aptly put it early on, is important and sometimes you're not the problem. Like it's really nice to feel that.
Speaker 2: It's so true. And my favorite quality in somebody is this ability to be like self aware. What's my part in it? What can I change? Is there something in me? Because that inherently puts you in a position of being a creator in your life. You're not a victim, right Like Danielle is not a victim. She won't be a victim in her life ever, especially in dating. But I think there is a line where it's like, Okay, you've exhausted your side of the street, maybe you know, and still you're not a victim. Maybe it's just a matter if you haven't found your person, and that's okay too.
Speaker 1: Totally. Yeah, I always say I'm not a victim. I'm a volunteer, just because I like alliteration.
Speaker 2: I like that that's a good one.
Speaker 1: Before we totally get into how to heal this, I'm curious what your personal what Brooke Taylor's definition of success looks like now and how is it different from the version you were chasing at Google.
Speaker 2: Yeah, before, whether it was Google or my wellness obsession, it was always about, I mean, plain and simple, literally, what do other people think? What does it look like? What are the accolades that I can collect? And I know that sounds so obvious, but if you really were to observe your thoughts, how often are so many of us doing things, even very subtly for the What are people going to say? What does it look like from the outside? And I have to watch myself every single day not to promote my book about healing the success wound from my own success wound. It is my work every day, every minute of every day, because people can feel that, can't think. Wouldn't it be just so out of integrity if I was using this book as a way to get people to like me more, that would be such a missed opportunity. And so what do I do today? Quite literally, as long as my intention and my definition of success is about connection and what do I want to enjoy? So connection and joy? Then that is enough. That's enough, And I feel so blessed to be at a stage in my career where, quite literally, this is a life and a career beyond my wildest dreams. And I didn't have a playbook for it. So everything feels like icing on the cake just being able to have this conversation with you, like I'm so glad to be doing that, and so whether this sells a book or not, like I'm genuinely having a great time with you. And I think a lot of people might be saying, okay, great, Brooke. Well, like I have a family to provide for, and I have performance reviews and KPIs to hit and is AI going to take my job? All of those can continue to be realities, yes, And your definition of success can be something that's more esteemable and regulates your nervous system and puts you on a track that allows you to be creative, collaborative, and innovative. Because there is so much research that says when we are operating from fear of scarcity and stress, our careers do not go very well at all. So the realities can still be going, the storm can still be swirling around us. But how can you be the eye of the storm and kind of create what you want to within that so.
Speaker 1: Well said, and that you kind of give a five step process in the book. It's the heart of the book, I would say, And you say, the first step is to diagnose the wound. I have a personal investment in what you say. The anecdote to some of this is which everyone will find out soon. But how do you get to your true self? What does that actually look like?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so those five types that I mentioned earlier, that is almost like your success wound diagnosis, right, Like, that's how your success wound shows up. And that is part of our psyche called our protector self. And our protector self is intended to protect any negative feelings from ever coming forward. So we have our protector self, which shows up as our higher grinder, pleaser, seeker, work hard, play hard. That's protecting our deep fear of inadequacy, our fear of being rejected or embarrassed or ashamed. But then we have this other part of ourself that's not just psychology. According to Brooke, there's a lot of psychological basis for this that's called our true self. And this is the part of us that every single human who is on this earth has the capacity for naturally and inherently. It doesn't need to be built, it doesn't need to be molded or modeled. You don't need to go to a retreat to create her. She is naturally confident, competent, clear, courageous, curious, playful, present. She's the part of you that shows up when you're naturally intrigued about something, when you're maybe playing with your little cousins or nieces and nephews, when you're having a really great conversation, and times expanding, when you're in a state of flow. That is the part of you that's called your true self. And so really I say that I'm a career coach that helps people to create fulfilling careers. Truly, my only goal is to get you back in touch with your true self, because she's there, She's just buried under these protector behaviors that show up at work because that's what we think we need to be doing and how we need to be behaving in order to get ahead.
Speaker 1: And then tell me about how curiosity is part of some of this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So according to a man named Richard Schwartz who came up with this model of the psyche called internal family systems. He was somebody who discovered that our psyches are inherently multiple, and a hallmark of the true self is curiosity. Is the part of us that you know, sees a little glimmer you know, to the right and says, ooh, I wonder what that is or is naturally, you know, interest is piqued when she's reading something and wants to read more about that thing. Who wants to ask questions and listen. When we're asking questions and listening, it puts our body into a relaxation response. Did you know that? No? Yeah, So even as you're doing this now, I'm imagining in your body, when you're really in the present and you're asking questions and you're listening, you're probably really relaxed and regulated.
Speaker 1: I'm guessing half and half because I'm also really wanting to give you the best interview I can. So part of me is like, oh, I should have asked that differently, or you know, but if I'm in regular conversation and not an interview, yes, I'm very relaxed.
Speaker 2: Yes, And so the beauty of curiosity in asking questions is that. Sure, we can do that with others, but part of our healing process is to actually be curious and ask questions to our feelings in our body. So one of the very first parts of healing. We heal on three levels. We heal on emotional level, mental level, and the level of behavior or action. And the emotional level is the level that a lot of people are like, you know, what does that look like? Is that therapy? How can I do that in a workplace? But curiosity is actually the way in because when our success wood gets activated. Let's say you're in a workplace, whether you work for yourself or for your boss, anybody has a stakeholder that they want to impress. Let's say that stakeholder in some way, shape or form says you know, you're really missing the mark, or you didn't do as well as you could do here. What does that create? That creates a pit in our stomach, a closing in my throat, maybe a tightness through our solar plexus or our chest. What I want you to do in that moment is I want you to identify that feeling in your body to give it three adjectives. So heavy tight, tingling rock, whatever that is. And I want you to ask it a question. I want you to ask it a question, this feeling, the question what do you want me to know? What are you afraid would happen right now? Why are you here? And that curiosity. When we are curious, we're naturally in our true self, and it creates a separation between our true self and the feeling. So even if you work in a corporate environment with thousands of people, even if you're in a desk job, even if you're a nurse, even if you're a teacher, you can always in the workplace, notice what's happening in your body. Give it three adjectives and ask it a question, because that's going to unearth the emotion that's underneath it and instead of pushing it away or developing a relationship with it, and over time, this relationship is going to strengthen and it's going to help you heal those negative emotions.
Speaker 1: So cool, thank you for blaming that beautiful.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think something that people are going to be like feeling and maybe scared to ask themselves or scared to ask you, is if I heal this, will I lose my drive? Will I lose my ambition. What do you say to that.
Speaker 2: That's part of a cultural misunderstanding that we need to be anxious in competition and fueled by scarcity in order to get ahead, And that couldn't be further from the truth. When we look at our ancestors or children, or when we think about how we are when we're doing our best work, we are in a state of flow, collaboration, creativity, and curiosity. So the goal of this work isn't to help you lose your edge, although sure a little bit of performance anxiety obviously can't hurt a little bit of you know, how is this going to go? Of course, that's going to keep you on your toes. What tends to happen is that anxious achievers tend to be four hundred percent more productive than average people, but to a point. So what happens is that once we hit that point, actually performance goes down precipitously. And that point is the point at which our protector self or our success wound has been running the show so much that we start to get burned out, exhausted, depleted. We're no longer coming up with innovative solutions. We're perpetuating a lot more of the old And so my work isn't to help you lose your edge. It's to help dial down the suffering and the emotional heaviness that we all put on ourselves through high expectations, through negative self talk, through what are they going to think? What's going to happen? Help lower that so that you can continue to perform in a way that feels esteem building and exciting. So I think we all kind of get to a point where it's like this doesn't work for us anymore. And if anybody's listening to this and is like, nah, I still got like you know, this is still working for me, then great, keep going. But I think so many of us are looking for a new relationship with work that actually works better. Do you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I know exactly what you're saying, because I actually think if I had had this conversation with you a few years ago, I would have totally taken in everything you said, but also thought it's working for me right now, Like I'm supposed to be grinding, and I hit a point where it was impossible to maintain, and I don't think I'm fully on the other side, but somewhere like between the messy middle and the other side, and I can say that I'm starting to feel better and I'm actually more productive with help and with not feeling like I mean, you call it sort of like manic ambition versus a lined ambition, and I think I think that's a perfect term. So less manic, more aligned.
Speaker 2: You know. In addiction recovery rooms, they say we can't rob anyone of their bottom. I'm not here to convince anyone to do something different. This is for the people who have hit their bottom, and they're like, please tell me that there's another way to work. So you know, again, if things are working for you or you're not ready to change, you know, please keep going. But if you're somebody who's wondering, is there a way for me to work in a way that builds me up rather than breaks me down? Is there a way for me to feel good about my accomplishments instead of always doubting if I've done enough? If it is enough, then this is who that's for.
Speaker 1: I think yeah, I think so too. If there's somebody listening in their car walking wherever they are right now, and they're saying this is resonating, what is the first thing that she should do tonight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so there are actually three things that you can do to increase your self worth consistently and over time. And these are behaviors that are going to help kind of fill that whole, that void, that emptiness that you might be feeling, that not enoughness. And the first thing that I think everybody can do is learn how to make decisions when they're fifty one percent sure. And what I mean by that is a lot of people tend to only make decisions when they're ninety nine point nine nine to nine percent sure, once they've gathered all the data canvassed for opinions, done the pro con list. I want people to get comfortable making decisions when they only are fifty one percent sure.
Speaker 1: Well that's very brave. Mm.
Speaker 2: Wait, first of all, how do you make decisions? What's your decision making process look like?
Speaker 1: I used to be a person who canvassed for lots of opinions. When I was a kid, my parents would actually make fun of me because they'd be like, Oh, she's asking a million people, and like she's asking her dance instructor. It's like, like that had nothing to do with my I you know, the question I was asking. But as I have gotten older and truly, I think because of therapy, I believe myself. I trust myself, and so I don't canvas as much. I canvas if I'm looking for, like a skill set I don't possess, but I don't canvas if it's a feeling or a gutter heart thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. So typically when people fall into the seeker archetype or the higher archetype, they tend to rely on people who are experts to tell them what to do. And so again, one way to strengthen your self worth is to learn when something is pulling you just one percent in a certain direction or not, because more often than not, that will help you to trust your judgment and learn that your judgment is good and learn the internal mechanism of your intuition because I guarantee you, Okay, maybe maybe a couple times it might be wrong, but it's going to be more right than you could have possibly imagined. And that's going to create a better relationship with you and your judgment, and that inherently increases your self worth.
Speaker 1: That's a great one. It's so tactical. Thank you for that. I also want to share that something shifted for me because I like to come into everything curious. It's like definitely my nature. But also I think it served me really well in a lot of ways, So relationships, boardrooms, wherever I am. And somebody said to me one time, Danielle, sometimes you are the expert in the room, like curiosity is important, and sometimes you don't have to look to the experts all the time, like you can't. And so that was a huge shift. But please keep going because you have two more.
Speaker 2: That's a huge shift. Yeah, And everyone's an expert in their own lives. And again, of course that doesn't mean yeah, don't take on good opinions or if you're new at something and you want to learn about something, obviously, but I think especially as women, we can learn to make decisions from the fifty one percent.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The second is to get in the habit of every day taking one micro risk, and one micro risk is engaging in something that makes you feel twenty percent uncomfortable. It's one step outside your comfort zone. Because people who tend to have higher self worth and have higher fulfillment are people who are constantly expanding their comfort zone, not from a place of like not, oh I want to learn more, but from a place of I am somebody who can take risks and be okay when things don't go well, who has a positive more positive relationship with rejection, who knows how to respond to setbacks. So this is something that I always encourage my clients to do, is taking those micro risks. Okay, it could look like dming somebody that you admire and training voice notes, but it could also look like again speaking up when you have just a little bit of the information, or you know, turning to the person to your left in line and striking up a conversation something like that. My clients who do this on a consistent basis report feeling better about themselves. Their head hits the pillow and they're thinking about that moment. They're like, you know what I did the hard thing, and that feels really good. Do you ever do this? I'm curious.
Speaker 1: Yes. I will say though that this is something that I'm very grateful to my mother for. And I've told this story on the podcast before, But when I was younger, we would sit at a park and I was like five or six, very little, and she would say to me, do you see these people walking by and they are like holding hands or with their dogs. And she would say, they're all out living their lives and you can either sit on this park bench and watch them live theirs, or you can get up and go live yours. And I've always thought about that. So I struggle with a lot of other things, but the micro risks I think are more inherent because of her, which I'm so grateful for. Yeah, how do you feel about micro risks?
Speaker 2: I'm so bad at it. It's the thing that is like the hardest for me. I'm good at trusting my judgment. I've always been quite decisive, and I know what my intuition feels like through years of practicing. It's the putting myself out there that makes me want to crawl up in a ball and never come out, Which is why this book has been such a huge expansion for me, because I've had to get rejected over and over again, you know, in the best way possible, and then I've gotten yes is that I never would have gotten to. But this is the hardest one for me for sure.
Speaker 1: Can you say more about this? Because I think my assessment of risk is probably less relatable to most people listening. I think most people feel the way you do, like, how have you micro practiced, how have you gotten better? What was the first step for you? And does the rejection feel less bad over time?
Speaker 2: It feels less bad over time, And I have to be honest because I've gotten some yesses. It's like, Okay, this does work. If I was dming people that I admired, saying hey, I really love your work and I think this book would really be interesting to you. Can I send you a copy, and literally nobody replied, I'd feel really discouraged. But the fact that I have gotten some people that I genuinely admire being like, yeah, I'd love to read your book, please send me a copy, I'm like, wow, this really works. So the positive feedback loop has been so rewarding, and it's made me realize, oh my gosh, I do have this capacity that's greater than I did before. Because again, like I have had success from the outside, but I think I've been playing in my comfort zone professionally for a long time, only doing things that I know I could be good at. But intentionally putting myself into a position of being rejected has been really good for me.
Speaker 1: I love hearing that I have this phrase that I say to myself all the time that trying is winning, and it's sort of a mantra that helps me not fear the rejection as much because it's like, as long as you're trying. And I was also thinking as you were sharing that, you know, if there's somebody listening who's like I did send ten dms and no one replied, I would probably say, like, change the mechanism, change your approach. What would you say?
Speaker 2: I would say, change the mechanism, change your approach. You know, sure, go get some advice, talk to somebody. I've done that a lot too. I'm like, what would you respond to? Right? But I would also say, you know, if you're at a point of discomfort, that's when a lot of people quit, So keep going. So if you're at that point of discomfort, that's when you know to actually double down, like keep going, keep going, because that's when most people that's when most people quit. That's when I've quit. I'm like, oh, it doesn't work, you know. But it's the consistency. And so that's why again, self worth is built, It's built over time. And then the final piece, which I think actually can really help with both of these things is developing a relationship with faith. And you might be saying, Okay, what role does faith have in the workplace. I'm not religious, That's not what I mean. I mean trusting in something greater than your fear, Trusting in a vision that you have for your life or yourself that is really inspiring to you. Sure, getting a relationship with a god of your own understanding or the universe or a benevolence, that's all really great. But I think so much of our relationship with uncertain is because we don't have faith in something that's guiding us, or faith on what could be on the other side. And so that's how the book Ends is really on this note of like understanding that there's going to be so many leaps of faith in your career and that's what creates careers that are genuinely fulfilling and healing your success wound is inherently scary because you don't know what exists on the other side of that. You are wondering, isn't this going to take away my edge? And you have to have faith inherently in that. And so there's this quote by Phil Knight, who's the founder of Nike, that's on the Night School of Business at Stanford, and he talks about I'm going to butcher the quote, but it's in the book. He talks about the fact that there are two types of people, people who turn away from uncertainty and walk back into the known, and people who walk towards uncertainty. And he says, I can't tell you which one is right, but I can tell you which one is more fun. And I think there's so much fun in uncertainty, and once you can get there, it's like, Wow, the whole world really opens up to you.
Speaker 1: I really like that quote because so much of career stuff feels arduous and frustrating, and to flip it and think about it as fun and joy is very just like enlivening. I think me too.
Speaker 2: I know we take our careers in our lives so seriously, but ultimately it's just all about experimentation and connection.
Speaker 1: Speaking of very serious, I have some rapid fire questions for you.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's hit it.
Speaker 1: Okay, what is something every woman should try?
Speaker 2: Once my mind went really like it's weird there for a second.
Speaker 1: You're not the first person to say that I didn't have to change this question.
Speaker 2: I don't know Okay, what's something that every woman should try once? Working for herself?
Speaker 1: Really? Why?
Speaker 2: I think that there's this yearning and curiosity within women to create a culture of their own. And I think that's why we love creating communities, friendship, circles, and families. And I think I think having a creative project in our career. It doesn't have to be a full time gig. But I think you should work for yourself or create something of your own professionally.
Speaker 1: No one said that that's very cool. What is the biggest sacrifice that you've made on your path to healed achievement?
Speaker 2: Knowing that all my sacrifices were giving up one thing that I thought I needed, but getting everything else. So giving up alcohol, which was something that I thought I needed to get everything else, giving up you know, the sexy title at Google, and feeling awkward at dinner parties afterwards, but getting such a sense of validation. I've had to give up everything I felt dependent on in order to get more.
Speaker 1: Free, beautiful. If someone gave you a blank check to start a business or a passion project, what would you do right now?
Speaker 2: My husband recently started a construction business, and I've been obsessed with boring businesses, and you know, with AI kind of coming up, I want to create something. I would start probably like an electrical business, like something that's actually like physical and of the trades and something in my hands. I just love the especially with everything being so digital, I'd want to start something physical.
Speaker 1: What are you most likely to splurge on.
Speaker 2: A really great handbag? Like I love a designer bag.
Speaker 1: When was the last time you surprised yourself?
Speaker 2: I think it's been in this book process, getting to connect with people who I really admire and as somebody who used to feel like she was an outsider looking in, finally feeling like I belong in a community that I'm excited for feels surprising in a good way.
Speaker 1: Beautiful. What is a book something you've read that really impacted you that you think everybody should read?
Speaker 2: My Life on the Road by Gloria Steinem. I loved that book. It really did change my life. And just knowing as a woman like where we kind of come from and the history that we have in this country, I think is essential.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm going to ask you the question. Everything question you tell me when to stop?
Speaker 2: Stop?
Speaker 1: Okay will eliminate the book because you just said that. So what is a class, a book, a movie, or a piece of art that completely changed your perspective on life?
Speaker 2: Legally blonde?
Speaker 1: I love this?
Speaker 2: Why Well, first of all, one of the characters is named Brooke Taylor, so I was like, it's just you know, this is me. I had this assumption. I don't know where it came from, but that woman could only be hot or smart. She genuinely was a model of like everything that I wanted to be in the most unexpected package. And I think about out Woods every day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's so awesome. Well, Brooke, thank you. This conversation went way longer than it was supposed to, but it's because you're so interesting. So thank you, and thanks for asking me such beautiful questions.
Speaker 2: Oh thank you. I loved it. Thank you so much, such a great conversation.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know what time it is. Today's a good day. To have a good day. I'll see you next week.