Speaker 1: The volume.
Speaker 2: Hello ladies and gentlemen, and thank you for joining us for another episode of Nightcap.
Speaker 3: Y'all know me.
Speaker 2: I'm your favorite on Shannon Sharp, my partner and co hosts Liberty City's own Bengal Ring of Fame, honoree pro bowler, all Pro Madden Adjuster. That's Chad o Cho Senko Johnson, and we have a very special guest tonight. He's a five time pro bowler out of the yard out of Arkansas Pine Bluff from Belleville, Illinois, and he still holds the record for the fastest offensive lineman for a forty yard dash time in the combined history at four seven one. Here he is, Tron Armstead. Tron, how you doing, man, I'm good, I'm good. How you doing? I'm doing amazing.
Speaker 3: Brother.
Speaker 4: We even to just skip over that art.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we'll get to this.
Speaker 3: Crime button.
Speaker 2: Please make sure you hit the light button, and guys, go subscribe to the Nightcap podcast feed wherever you get your podcasts from. Thank you, guys for your support and your continued support, because without you, none of this is possible. So o Cho or not, everybody at Nightcap greatly greatly appreciate your support and hopefully your continued support. Please make sure you check out shave by Laportier. We do have it in stock and out. If you can't find it any city or state near you, best believe over the next five six months we are coming to a city or state near you. But in the meantime, if you can't find it, order it. We'll ship it directly to your door. Please drink responsibly and stay safe. Go check out my media company page on all of his platforms, Shayshape Media and My Clothing Company eighty four. The link is pin in the chat. Supplies are limited and once they're gone, they're gone, so please grab yours while supplies last.
Speaker 3: Yes, O Joe.
Speaker 2: In the twenty thirteen Combine Tarn recorded the fastest forty for an offensive lineman. I'm buying history, a record that still stands to this day.
Speaker 3: It was close.
Speaker 2: Lane Johnson ran four seven two, but Toront's record of four to seven one is close. And if I'm not mistaken, they are the only two offensive linemens that's run in the four sevenths. They've been a couple of runs low four eights, but no other lineman other than Tehran at four seven one. Lane Johnson at four seven two have been in the offensive lineman have been in the four seven so.
Speaker 3: As of yet. So now we're thirteen years.
Speaker 2: In county twenty thirteen to twenty fifteen, and Toront still helds that record. Toront, Look, you're coming out of Arkansas Pine Bluff and it's not like it used to be. There used to be a plethora of guys coming out of HBCUs and so that would have been nothing, but here it is. Now we're in the twenty tens and we get an offensive linean your three times swack All Conference player, and you go to the Combine.
Speaker 3: What were your expectations?
Speaker 2: Did you know you had this kinunt of ability in you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure, for sure.
Speaker 5: I knew I had the talent and the speed and agility to showcase. I just had to get to the showcase. So it was really huge for me to get that Combine invite. That was that was monumental for me trying to get more exposure, to get more eyes to my.
Speaker 3: To my tape. So I knew that I was going to go.
Speaker 5: I was going for the record for sure, Like before I even before we got to Indy, I was going for the record. I wanted to run faster honestly than that. But I'll take the four seven.
Speaker 3: Four three on five. That's movie.
Speaker 4: That's what I would get me to ask you.
Speaker 6: I would give me to ask you how tall you were and how much you weighed to be able to run that. Listen, I ain't running but full five, So technically, well you right there with me.
Speaker 3: Mike there on your neck.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was six six five, three oh six, I believe three or four at the combine.
Speaker 2: Wow, so you knew, you knew? So what was if I'm not, I don't know what the record was? What was the record? What was the fastest forty time for an offensive lineman before you broke it?
Speaker 3: It was four a four for a four While you didn't break it, you're obliterated.
Speaker 5: I needed it. I needed it. I needed all that. I needed that that my moment. I was on NFL network dot com NFL dot com for like two hours. I needed all of it. So so the scouts can go watch my film.
Speaker 2: Okay, so now you go run that forty yard dash type you run four seven one, and that's really the order. Yeah they want you to jump high, Yeah, they want you to do too. But speed is what captivates their tension. Now you in offensive alignment. You never gonna be able to unwind that four seven one again, But you just wanted to put that on table to let them see. Look you got a phenomenal athlete. Yes, I went to Arkansas Pine Bluff. Yeah, I know you're gonna downgrade me talk about who did I blog and who play against? But I'm gonna come and showcase my skills and let you see and then the chips.
Speaker 3: Fall where they may.
Speaker 2: So when you ran that time, did you know, like, okay, I got their undivioted attention, I'm about to get drafted.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, no, for sure.
Speaker 5: We have special talents down there in these HBCUs all across the country.
Speaker 3: We do.
Speaker 5: So I just needed the opportunity to showcase my skill. I knew a time it was I was going for the vertical record too. I missed that by half an inch, so like I knew that I was going to be able to make that splash, and like I say again, I needed it. I really needed that chance to get all the scouts just to watch my fam I wouldn't ask you for no favorites, but just check out the film and see the dominance.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Now, also when I look at the officer line position, as fast as you were, you know, as far as running the forty, did you have an advantage as far as your footwork goes when it came to playing offensive line as well? Because most of the time, obviously, you know, playing officer line is all about your hand placement in your footwork. You know, we always being being balanced for sure. Did they give you the advantage?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: No, My athletic says to my agility that those were my strengths when I played throughout my twelve year career because I'm six five three oh four, not the biggest tackle, not not necessarily the strongest either, but I'm on your ass as soon as it ass now a lot of jump, says, I had to use that in my game. So find ways to play in my strength, and I was using my speed. Were you always an offensive lineman?
Speaker 3: Cuts out?
Speaker 2: I mean, with with that kind of fast twitch, you might have been a you might have been a tight end at some point in time in your career.
Speaker 3: Were you always an offensive lineman?
Speaker 5: Well, back in my hometown Cookie, Illinois, we went off of speed. That's what we do. We run, So I was a defensive lineman off of Lima. But I would to go play seven on seven with the guys corner safety receive it.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 5: Really yeah, it really was like that really was like that. I can't do that shit, no no more. But like I came move like that no morel too.
Speaker 2: You mentioned you say so you were thirty four, thirty four right now, thirty five, thirty three, thirty three to run you walk away from the game, You're only thirty three. Lineman normally played there and at thirty six, thirty seven, thirty eight. We saw Jacket Slatter play twenty years and he retired at forty plus, and we see Lineman especially.
Speaker 3: I don't know your injury history.
Speaker 2: That's why, that's why I'm going with this, why I walk away from the game and all that chap out there.
Speaker 3: You see that money, fact how it is.
Speaker 5: It's a lot of freshly printed money out there, for sure.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 5: Yes, indeed, I got a man, God bless me with so many great moments in great years and a great career. My injury history is extensive, it is, yes, it is long, and I've been through it.
Speaker 3: And that's really the part for me is my body. You know, I love this game.
Speaker 5: I mentally, cerebrally, I can play the game for forever, you know. But it's just physically and I'm and I'm okay with with saying that that that my body is slowing down. It's movements and abilities that I just can't perform at the same level.
Speaker 3: And I take so much pride in my film.
Speaker 5: Yeah, man, it has to look a certain way, Like every time I sip on the field, it has to look Pro Bowl, all Pro like that's the that's the brand I wanted to leave. So that's just I never want to look like I'm out there getting my getting whooped on.
Speaker 3: That ain't that can't happen.
Speaker 5: You know what.
Speaker 4: It takes a lot.
Speaker 6: It takes a lot of awareness, self awareness at that for a player of your caliber, or any player that's played in the NFL, that's played at a high level to understand what it's time to call upus.
Speaker 4: Most of the time, we'll.
Speaker 6: Ride, we'll ride, the ride the car to the wheels fall off, you know, with no regard for you know what, I don't look the same. At what moment did you realize that, you know what, I really don't have it to play at the All Pro or or Pro Bowl level anymore.
Speaker 4: But what moment did it hit you?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I've been dealing with a knee since my third year in the league, but it's been with me from for my entire career.
Speaker 3: So man, just I'll speak on this year alone.
Speaker 5: I didn't see a practice field like at all, and not because I didn't want to or the Dolphins just wanted me to rest. It's like I literally couldn't walk, you know, I couldn't after a game on Sunday. I wouldn't be able to walk on my own, you know, under my own power till Wednesday, Thursday. So I was only able to play under under under the pay mads. I couldn't put any pressure on my knee. So it was like, I can't keep doing that to myself.
Speaker 3: Man. We uh it comes.
Speaker 2: Thirty three and you now you get to be forty and all of a sudden, you're like, man with my liver shutting down, my kids and all the other things from taking those pain medicine. Because I know I've seen I've seen linemen have to take vicoing just to practice.
Speaker 3: I get I get the game. I get the game.
Speaker 2: I really do, because you know, a that's once a week, but the practice oh hell.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, no, that's crazy, and that's what that was the norm. For sure.
Speaker 5: I didn't I didn't want to fall in that cycle, right.
Speaker 2: But the thing is, Aszcho was saying, it takes a space because to the to the lay person, they don't they don't, they don't, they don't really see what you know. And the thing is is that when you it's kind of hard to let go and not practice because as an offensive lineman sets for everything, whether you're gonna jump where you a mat, and the thing is, you got to practice that during the course of a week. It's hard or an offensive line to just go out there on a Sunday jump said quick said, hey stab whatever the case may be, and just to go and you're going against the best of the best.
Speaker 5: You you said it, you said it. It's the reps. It is, especially for offensive line play. We so based on technique and uh tim and and all the hand placement and not not to mention the cohesiveness of everyone, because you know, we're the only unit that never comes off the field outside of the quarterback that's one person, but we're the only unit that never comes off the field. So that chemistry and time, and it just is really tough not getting those practice reps and then preparing mentally for Max Crosby and Miles Garrett.
Speaker 4: And like, that's not okay.
Speaker 3: You got to keep doing that with TJ. Watt.
Speaker 5: Listen, I'm not about to keep doing that man with no practice, Like, come on, man.
Speaker 2: Because you talk about your office Tehran, you talk about your t excuse me, you talk about your offensive lineman, and like, okay, they get somebody else in there to practice it. But you and that left guard, y'all need to be cohesive. Yeah, you need to like be on the same level and pass it off, because if you're on different levels, guy, go hit that crack And now everybody's like, man, y'all hate judge it.
Speaker 3: But see, you might be a little slow.
Speaker 2: He might have been a little fast, and all of a sudden you give up a sack when y'all should have had that situation covered. I know, I look and everybody doesn't do it the same because I remember practicing with Gary Zimmerman, who the Who's the two decade All Decade player in the eighties and the nineties.
Speaker 3: He went to the Hall of Fame, but he didn't like me. He didn't like me. The chip block m he didn't like the chip. He don't touch it, Yeah.
Speaker 2: He said, if I if I jumped said it. Man, you hit him, you're gonna knock him inside and now I can't get him, and everybody goes, thank I got beat. So don't touch it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's a real thing, especially especially if you have a big physical tight end, like like yourself. So like you hitting him too hard? He getting momentum, he getting like a yo. And yeah to the inside move you know what I got him to, just get out the way, go get open.
Speaker 3: Jonathan ja O.
Speaker 2: Now I played with j O Jonathan Ogden, who's the first battlet of Hall of Famer.
Speaker 3: He like, hey, knock him, knock him out if you can't.
Speaker 2: For me, and depend on who it is man who exactly. But like you said, starting offensive lineman, they want some I mean, hey, stick and stay or some guys like don't touch him. But like you said, not practice like for an offensive lineman. And seeing like like I said, I've worked with Zam for like four years, work with Jail for two years, and to see what they go through because they're working on this sets. They ay, they're kicking. Am I gonna stab him? Am I gonna quick sit him? Am I gonna jump setting? What am I gonna do?
Speaker 3: And not? In the game? Man, I want to jump set, but I need bother you. No, I can't.
Speaker 2: I can't see. I can't do what I want. But the mind say do that? That body said, brother, do you do that?
Speaker 3: You say you can't do that? You can't through it no more?
Speaker 6: Hey, when it came to playing a left tackle position, now, I think about my approach to playing receiver when it came to DB's and studying each dB every week and understanding what type of dB I'm going against? You got some that a quick, some of that are fast, some of the physical, some better, some of that you know, playoff or whatever may be. What was your approach when it came to playing defensive ends each week? It was was your Was your approach different as far as from from a technical standpoint?
Speaker 4: Do you change up things you did depending on who you were playing that week?
Speaker 5: Well, I've always said this is a show that it's a lot of parallels to me, a lot of similarities between O line tackling, tackling d N and receiver in corner, Yes, sir, like that that one on one match up. It's a lot of dynamics there that that's parallel to me. The technique that goes into with tendencies. Like you said, is he pressing well? If I jab inside? What are you doing with his hands? Same thing as I'm bringing the defensive end. I'm looking at their alignment. First, how wide is he getting? And then it get off? You know, how well is he timing the snap? Then I want to see his home runs. What's what's his go to move that he's consistently winning on. What's he's winning on the most I break that down. That's the one I want to take away. I want to take that one away, and then all right, what's his second highest percentage move to count. I'm taking those top two away throughout my career. That was the goal, my objective of game planning. I want to take them top two winners away. Now, if you beat me with a third, you you you're a bad man, but you know you're gonna have to get that. But for me, I was taking those top two, top two moves away.
Speaker 6: And one of the things that I've always liked to ask players that that once they're done playing.
Speaker 4: Who gave them the most fits? For me?
Speaker 6: And everybody asked me all the time, listen, you played a very long time, you're going against them. I've always had to deal with the number one dB and everyone asked, you know, who gave you fits? And obviously the one person I say every time two thousand he had locked everybody up, but.
Speaker 2: Super strong about nobody else. But you you see how you did that.
Speaker 4: When he talked, listen, we hey, you gave fits, so you just want to give them their flowers?
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, man, I had some battles. I had some of these guys I say too many times like I didn't. I didn't want to have these rivalry going on, but you know that's how the schedule go. I played Miles a ton. Miles always one of those. He one of those you got to you can make sure you breakfasts like he's He's one of those, for sure. But the guy that gave me the most fits, and I've probably seen him the most and he is still underrated in my eyes.
Speaker 3: Robert Robert, Oh, that first trouble Quinn, he's been in that edge.
Speaker 5: He listen, Robert Quinn, he got he probably got the most sacks on me, like out of everybody's he's the person that say I got two on t stair Like he he probably that one person that can say that, right, Okay, that dude game he yeah he. I don't even want to see him post career. I don't want to see him.
Speaker 3: We can't be friends nothing. I don't want to run in Robert.
Speaker 2: It's really it's really like a dance because like they they getting that white, they're getting that what they're getting to that wide nine and now hey, you're like, Okay, I know he's gonna come wide, but what if he dropping bull me? Okay, now he gonna hit me, and then he's been inside, so I got I got all that going in though, I gotta.
Speaker 3: Look at him. Okay, what is he doing now? I'm kicking.
Speaker 2: I can only kick so far because the damn cornerback right there. Help keep kicking. I'm gonna be in this damn lamp. I can all again, brother, like you kick and then I got to say it, and I gotta tell you, hey, I gotta be I don't want him to get it. I don't want him to bend the edge on me because these like you said, Miles can being but also I also don't want him wax on wax off been crossed my face.
Speaker 3: All that.
Speaker 5: We're trying to process all that, man, and they lined up in his wide nine, and these athletes are only getting They're only getting bigger, faster, stronger. Yeah, So it's man, it's it's it's tough to deal with. Like Micah playing Michael Parsons for the first time. It was Christmas Day. We in Miami, Beautiful Day. We smacked the cowboys. That ain't part of the story. But seeing seeing Michael Parsons for the first time in real life, it was different. Bro, Like you are You're way too big to be moving as fast it can be in that well. Like, yeah, it's just the athlete. The evolution of the athlete is just it's becoming something something different.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 3: Cool, I'm cool.
Speaker 2: Y'all watching, you know, playing against Dereck Thomas. But the guy that I had the most respect for, I only played againt him for two years because I was on in Baltimore two years. I've never seen a guy his size that quick. Jabs us mmm, freak.
Speaker 3: Man freak the first time I played it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, hey, I turned aiut saying, hey, y'all better fraud.
Speaker 3: He was gone, look out block.
Speaker 2: He took a step down because I had this up, so I stepped with it.
Speaker 3: Man, when by the time I put my foot down, he was on my shoulder.
Speaker 2: That's a bad He get to your shoulder and you ain't extended, you might will.
Speaker 3: Kissed the baby. That's a bad feeling. Feeling.
Speaker 4: Heyyy you saw the picture I was.
Speaker 6: I just saw Javon Curson the airport leaving Philly day before yesterday.
Speaker 3: Oh did you?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Man, he got that before he hurt the ankles. O Joe, I'm talking about you talking about somebody like he was like six four two fifty, I'm talking about all. I'm talking about five X gloves. I mean his hands were.
Speaker 3: Like a ketcher. Did did kurtse get in there? Did he get into the hall? Nah?
Speaker 6: Nah?
Speaker 3: Nah?
Speaker 2: He uh he would? I mean he was at Tennessee, his best us at Tennessee. Yeah, he moved to Philly and then he had he messed up his ankle, messed up his years. But hey, back in the day, you know, dealing with DT. Bruce Smith was fast too. Bruce could be in for a guy his size normally guys to seventy. They can't be in like that. Bruce be parallel to the ground. That movement that you see, Jarrett, that you see a von Miller do where he dip under and come down on one hand and get back up.
Speaker 3: Bruce could do that at two seventy.
Speaker 5: That's yeah.
Speaker 3: So hey, that's why you guys make the big bucks.
Speaker 2: That's why paid on the office line, because you guys got the toughest assignment because you're dealing with like I said, basically, it's like Ginger Robins and Fredistaire.
Speaker 3: He's coming forward, but you got a mirror what he does moving.
Speaker 2: Backwards, and is you got a target that's sitting right there, whether it's and basically everybody in the shotgun now, so you can only set so far before he sets your ass in the cornerback lap or he reach over the top.
Speaker 3: And you yo, we.
Speaker 5: Need some more money, man, oh loved, we need more. We need some more of that money.
Speaker 3: We need it all right. Check this out.
Speaker 2: Sat Quon Barkle is coming off his best year of his career, which any of him becoming a Super Bowl champion with the Eagles, and now he's gracing the cover of Man twenty six, sa Quan was asked if he retire at the top of his game or going to the wheels came off. I'll probably be one of those guys that will be out of nowhere. I'll probably just wake up one day, whether it's the next year or two or four, and just be like, yeah, it's over. I don't think I'll ever lose that passion. The competitive nature is always going to be there. I like, probably my favorite player of all time is Barry Sanders, so probably similar to that. Maybe one day like nowhere, I'll probably just be bawling and just be like, yeah, it's a quiz g Damn. We just talked about that because your situation was just like out of nowhere, Like yeah, yep.
Speaker 3: It was not as sudden. Really.
Speaker 5: The ones in the inner circle, they they knew the situation and I was trying to push through.
Speaker 3: I was looking for options to continue.
Speaker 5: But it's just it's over for sure, like I knew it, not as sudden as like Barry Sanders or Calvin Johnson. Saquon is incredible Hall of Fame talent, for sure. It'd be a he can't walk away all of a sudden. We need to see some more of that man, that's a special talent.
Speaker 2: What the difference is between them situation in Calvin and Barret, they.
Speaker 3: Got tired of losing, all right? For sure?
Speaker 2: That situation where he's I mean, you just went to the super Bowl. Now if you start to lose, But Barry, Barry got to the NFC Championship game in ninety one and never got that close again. So Barry got tired of losing. Barry wasn't injured. I mean you talked about the guy had average fifteen hundred yards for ten seasons. No, for sure, to go Calvin's the same thing. Calvin like, bro, man, we ain't getting no closer. I'm going out here and I'm doing all this to my body. What am I really doing this for when I don't really have a real list chance of getting to in winning a Super Bowl? So I think that's the different say quandit of a different situation. Now, if he was at the Giants, yeah, he probably.
Speaker 3: Just goes like one day, I'm out of here.
Speaker 2: But the situation where he is with that offensive line, without offense, with that defense, nah, I don't, I don't, I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't think he just walks away.
Speaker 6: And money different too, Yeah, I mean the movie different, obviously different, and obviously he just got paid.
Speaker 2: It gave him a nice, nice, nice, nice twenty mil a year old Joe, nice.
Speaker 6: Nice pay raise that sure going for a running back for that position, obviously, with a position not as being as valued as it is now, but being somewhere now where they appreciate you for what you're doing and they showed you love. I don't see Safe retiring until he has that that coming to coming to grass moment. You know, right, I can't do it like I used to.
Speaker 3: That's the fact I don't have that. I said the same way.
Speaker 6: I think that'll be the only time he actually called it quits when he realized is you know what I can't get.
Speaker 4: I can't be in that corner like I used to.
Speaker 6: I can't hit I can't hit that A or that that be a C gap, that that that'd be it and that that ain't.
Speaker 7: Probably twenty six, twenty seven, twenty eight, just turn to But here's the thing though, O Joe, Yeah, Lane Johnson still there, Mile Lotta is still there, Hurgenson still there, Nice still there.
Speaker 2: So it's not like you see some of these off some of these guys. The offensive line get old and they starting to move them out. That's the best offensive line in football. They're not going It's not like they're about to drop off a cliff in the next year or two. And they got them all in the contract. They just did Lane's contract. They just didn't mind a lot of cont just did Dickinson contract. Is the rook that was on a rookie contract. Nah, he ain't going anywhere anytime soon.
Speaker 4: Well, and you know, you know, it's funny when you think about it.
Speaker 6: As good as Saquon is and as good as that offensive line is, even if sa Quon was losing step, let's say in maybe maybe in three years, if that, with an offensive line like that, he will still be able to do what he needs to do because you're that much better up front.
Speaker 2: So he won't be able to go eighty yards with anybody without anybody touching him. So now he might have to break a tackle two yards from the line of scrimmage and to run through those holes that my old slow ass could probably get five yards. I ain't gonna hit my head on the gold post like him, but I might get five yards.
Speaker 3: Tea, I gave about three and four yards hunh fall four. I gave about three four.
Speaker 2: The them makes hurt. I can imagine now, ain't. I hadn't gotten hit on the man in two decades. Yeah, I shattered, like guys, you know how you drop ice side?
Speaker 4: Got to remember they not hitting like me was back then.
Speaker 3: No, No, I don't forgot how to take a hit.
Speaker 2: You see you, Hey, you start losing, you know how t when you go like when you leave the season and you come back and you got to go to training camp.
Speaker 3: You got to relearn those stuff. And I said, don't tingle like they did. Like once you get going.
Speaker 2: Like training camp and now you go to the season, they don't tingle them. And not twenty years, man, i'd be getting the I run them the shall across.
Speaker 3: It's a zone.
Speaker 4: You're running through the home.
Speaker 5: Hey, they gonna get fined. They gonna get fine though they might hit you what but I won't be fine.
Speaker 2: They might get fined, but I won't be fined. That's that's the world. That's the word.
Speaker 3: Yo o cho.
Speaker 5: You switched it up on me, man, you usually have on the cardier. I got seven pair of cardiers over.
Speaker 3: I was gonna be oh tonight and you didn't.
Speaker 4: Hey, limit hole, par Now you see what you got?
Speaker 3: What you know what I mean? We're in right now.
Speaker 5: Hey, hey listen, listen.
Speaker 6: Time I keep wearing the same ones over and over, I'm trying to say the rest of them, you know, for football season when I'm on TV. I got car got strings, right, I got a different color to match eat suit? All right, that's a different brou I gotta I gotta see you.
Speaker 4: I gotta see you, dude. Information right off of Twitter.
Speaker 6: He from Canada. Bro, he got everything I need it I need I need.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna still gonna put the bath on. We're gonna switch him up.
Speaker 2: Your doer says that when he's a bet, he'll have rookie organize his locker.
Speaker 3: Take a listen, take a look at this video.
Speaker 1: Guys, I'm gonna bet what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna have a rookie organized by locker every day. You mean, if Flacko told me to do this every day, I would do it.
Speaker 3: I go to him every day. I said, hey, bro, you good.
Speaker 4: You need anything right then?
Speaker 3: Because it's respect you feel me?
Speaker 5: I feel that.
Speaker 3: So when you came in as a rookie, what did the bets have you do?
Speaker 5: Torn bets were pretty pretty good to me, man, Jerry Evans being grubb Zach Street. Those guys were pretty good to me. Okay, get him breakfast every Saturday. Uh food for the plane, snacks, toilet tries. I had to bring that type stuff to the facility. Deodorant, body wash, all that good stuff. So trying to find a ride to Walmart because Uber didn't exist in twenty thirteen, So trying to find a ride to Walmart, get the stuff for the guys and all it into the facility.
Speaker 3: But they were they were pretty they were pretty smooth on me. Yeah, that's what it was.
Speaker 2: I mean, they won't breakfast, sandwiches, they wanted doughnuts, they wanted chicken to come.
Speaker 3: They wanted Popeye to come to the plane.
Speaker 2: I'm like, come on, guys, y'all bro y'all know man, And back then, you know we drove, we know, we drove, drove to the airport, but we had our own hangar.
Speaker 3: So you drive up, go get on the walk up and get on the plane.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 3: You know matter I was driving so fast, driving reckless man trying so if a rookie contract man.
Speaker 2: I can't I can't afford now twelve hundred and fifty dollar fine man.
Speaker 6: Dang yeah, remember them day I wide receive a group.
Speaker 4: I mean obviously the vestment I came into a rookie in Cincinnati.
Speaker 6: Man, it was it was love, you know, there was there was a certain amount of risks fact that that I showed them, a certain amount of respect that they showed as well. But you remember Darnay Scott. Yeah, yeah, a dark Darnay Scott. Danny Farmer was at the time. Ron Dugan's Pub was there, and.
Speaker 3: It was it was all up.
Speaker 6: It was nothing to that magnitude like some of the stories that I that I hear.
Speaker 5: No, we have receiver room. Have the hardest time with that. The receiver room is always that that be trying to buck the receiver trying it's it's always a hard time with that. Uh. We had a situation in Miami last year, not a big situation, but uh tyree Tyreek Hill have bought one of the rookies Christmas gifts and the rookie didn't like it really like, I mean, it's cool, but you know, you expect you could give me some better, you know, something bigger. You make it thirty ms a year, you know what I'm saying. And Tyreek was really hurt by that, Like he was really upset.
Speaker 4: That the guy, Hey, what did he get him?
Speaker 3: I'm trying to remember.
Speaker 5: It was like it was like a like a Gucci cologne set or something like that, some type of designer cologne set. And this is this young boy, he twenty one years old in Miami. Man, he probably don't even have now, wearing no colognia.
Speaker 3: I don't want that.
Speaker 5: He wanted Tyreg Debaum, something with a little bit more, a little more splash to it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was.
Speaker 2: You know, you gotta sing at at training camp and not no damn fight song either. Nobody ain't nobody go to your school, but you so you got to say something.
Speaker 3: Whoever the latest see us now, like probably not.
Speaker 2: To be Kendrin, Lamar Drake or whomever the hot rapper is right now. Back then, you know, R and B was still big when I was coming up, and guys singing Teddy Pitt, the guy who was singing Luther was singing Barry Why he Hey y'all have did y'all have a Roochie show? Te Oh for sure, for sure. Mike and Danny he was.
Speaker 5: He was big on that, and Seanpagne was two. Back in New Orleans, we would do the song. Most of the guys would would do R and B Old school R and B. Yeah, I feel like that, and you guys probably have a different song. But I feel like that undefeated song when the rookie starts singing it, and that rookie show the whole crowd gonna join in, it's fantastic. When I see you, it's all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. He started that.
Speaker 5: You get to the first thirty he get through the first thirty seconds because everybody gonna yeah.
Speaker 6: Hey, you know what that song? That song right there is like when the swag surface song come on.
Speaker 4: It don't matter where you at or what you doing.
Speaker 5: Sure everybody join it?
Speaker 3: Then?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, you gotta hear somebody.
Speaker 4: Everybody.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's it.
Speaker 2: Uh, New Orleans Here we come to get you.
Speaker 3: That was Yeah, that's super dumb. Used to rock man. I missed I missed them. I missed that place. I missed those fans. It's crazy.
Speaker 4: Matter of fact, think you went to Arkansas Pine Bluff, sir.
Speaker 6: As matter of fact, when I was at Link, you know about Lincoln University, right, yeah.
Speaker 4: And when I was at Links, we played arkansasin Pine Bluffy.
Speaker 6: They came up, they came on down with a coil so steel water whichever what it is, but it's back in nineteen ninety nineteen ninety seven.
Speaker 5: We played Lengths in my freshman year and Lengths and beat us bro real.
Speaker 3: It was bad.
Speaker 2: It was bad, y'all there the bus because we took the bus everywhere. It didn't matter if it was three hours or if it was twelve hours.
Speaker 3: You on that bus, I was on that bus. He's on that bus. Pair it up then.
Speaker 2: Well see, and the way we did it is like the starting offense and the starting defense on one bus and then the backups on another bus. We did we did off no, hell no, started on one bus at the backups or another bus.
Speaker 5: What there you be if you ride the advance, you ride this bush.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're right exactly about segregate.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that's crazy. How they supposed to get better?
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 2: They can't sit and talk to none of y'all because we're back there playing cards. You know, spades were playing cards. We we know we all.
Speaker 3: Wanted the back to the back of the bus. You know what I'm saying. We as a matter of fact, we wanted to go to the back of the bus.
Speaker 2: But hey, all of us, it wasn't nothing special because all of us was black. We had what our kicker was white, so it wasn't it wasn't no thinking. I'm sure it's the same thing with you guys. Did y'all have a white kick or punter?
Speaker 5: Both white kicker and punter. Oh, and a linebacker? We had a yo, we had a linebacker too. He was a bad man.
Speaker 3: But that's what you know. But you you missed that.
Speaker 2: I missed, you know, taking over you know, going to Tuskegee, Uh going to uh we're the Burlington, North Carolina. Just you know, you you taking the bus. I mean it is no you know playing It doesn't matter. If it was like I said, if it was an hour to Georgia Southern and Statesboro, or you go in the Tuskegee or you going to North Carolina, it didn't matter. Spartanburg, South Carolina, didn't matter. You're on the bus.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we would take the We take that ten hour bus ride to Houston for Prairie View, Texas Southern. We take the ten hour bus ride to Alabama and them Alabama State. Uh, my first flight in my life was we got paid to come play UTEP. So we flew down in UTEP. They paid us to beat on us. Yeah, well that was my first time. I'm trying to think, what if oh first time on the flight. I think I went to Black college, all American. I think I went to Pittsburgh. I think maybe I flew to see my brother play. Oh yeah, but other than now, but now you wouldn't taking it. You wouldn't. But you missed that because guess what. We could stop by a convenience store. They was like, man, the guy was like I I was. I was a captainist the sow.
Speaker 2: The man like man, sean man, I'm holder man, have Coach David to stop by the stop by the convenience store. I'm like, I'm like coach man, I'm hong a coch can we stopped by a convenience store? Coach didn't looked at me, say all right, home, we're gonna stop, but you're responsible for you don't really know what they're gonna Do're gonna clean.
Speaker 3: The store out, y'all.
Speaker 4: Y'all had that nil money back then, No.
Speaker 3: We had no nil money.
Speaker 2: That's why He told me I was responsible for him to make sure they put issue their pockets. That's why he told me, I'm responsible for and I'm standing to the door.
Speaker 8: Hey mm hmmmm hm take it out, man o Joe, how that don't look he ain't stop everybody I did. Yeah, he ain't see everything. But I tell you what.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you what I wouldn't do because I wanted a few guys that had had a vehicle and they and people like man to this day, they're like man seaw wouldn't give nobody ride. Bro, I know who had stuff, would follow them out the store. I know who a bag of potato, chi up, soda, honey buns, it would follow you got the store behind you. So no, you're not getting in my car because everybody knew who my who I was and what I drove. Man, I just know they got in the car with Shannon. It was Shannon Sharp. They ain't gonna say nothing else. It was Shannon Shark.
Speaker 5: Oh no, even if he had a little honey bunny or slides, a little swish roll or something.
Speaker 2: He's having three dollars, but he gonna come out of there with five dollars worth of stuff.
Speaker 5: So No, he got something for you.
Speaker 3: No, and the mall. Never going to the mall with him, absolutely not.
Speaker 2: Tey, What do you think about the locker room decision with two of going through his third and fourth major concussions?
Speaker 3: How do I mean?
Speaker 2: Look, you you can do all you can to try to protect the guy, but some point in time, he got to protect himself. He has to know when the journey's over. You can't. At no situation should he be allowed. I don't know what he was thinking, that you're gonna go ahead, that you're gonna go head first on.
Speaker 3: Somebody knowing your history.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, know, he definitely, he's he has to be aware, There's no question about it.
Speaker 3: And he is aware. But even more and now it.
Speaker 5: Has to be proven on the on the weekly basis that he understands his importance and impact to the to the team, to the franchise, to the city. Without tour under center, it's a different it's a different team, it's a different look.
Speaker 3: But with him under under center, I.
Speaker 5: Strongly believe Miami Dalkhins can win any game that he's the starting quarterback.
Speaker 3: So no, you're you're to get thirty degrees.
Speaker 5: Oh, here we go. Let's get it, let's get into it, let's get into but go ahead, but with go ahead with tua. Yeah, No, he has to know that, he has to know how much of a value PC is and and whatever it needs to do. But just just knowing that God, knowing how much he love a game and the way that he prepares. Man, it's that competitiveness against Buffalo this year, we're stagnant offensively, we get a drive going, and he's trying to extend on the third down to try to get another first down, and just he can't be the one to do it, you know what I mean. But he's just him being a competitor, trying to trying to wield a team.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think I think I talked uncle and I talked about this last last year sometime, uh, when he when he went out. I just think he has to learn to fall a little better on the under undertanding. But when went to especially I remember that first down we went head first, he still got he got up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it was like one of the moments we'd be.
Speaker 5: Like, ah, yeah, yeah, for sure, caled your breath moment when the journeys over.
Speaker 6: Yeah, No knowing when the journey's over, and then when he gets hit, knowing how to fall correctly, you know, especially when you go when you go back and you don't try to do your best.
Speaker 4: I know it's hard, but I was. It's something that I trained myself to do.
Speaker 6: Is when you get tackled, you going backwards, try not to let your head hit the back of the back of the back of the ground as hard as it does.
Speaker 4: What I used to do is if I get hit.
Speaker 6: Hard and I know it's backwards, I'm going backwards, I would tighten up my core and try to keep my head up right the best I can, the best I can, just so I don't get that boom, that that that that initial shock which causes cause the.
Speaker 5: That's the one though, the one that you're falling back hit the head, that's the one that's yeah, that's the one.
Speaker 6: I do my best like I'm holding the ball, but I do my best as if I'm as if I'm beer hunting, dude, you know, in a sense literally bear hunting. I'm just saying, trying to keep my body and my upper body and torso as close to him as possible even on impact, just so most of the force isn't the back of the head bouncing off?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: How you feel about them guys on the sideline and they jump out of bound or or are you trying to fall forth for the a few more yards?
Speaker 3: What you what you think about that? It all depends in his situation.
Speaker 2: He can't do it, not even on four because he's too valuable. He gets down and he gets dean, what have you done? Okay, you got the first down. Now your backup has to come in and finish out the ball game, right, Yeah, it is the time. Example Peyton Manny. Once Peyton Manny hurt that neck, they never let him do quarterbacks nick again. Yeah, if you notice, they don't let Patrick mahons since he hurt his knee. They don't let Patrick mahone do go straight into the line of scrimmage. You see, you have to protect the guy.
Speaker 3: No, that's the fact, that's the fact.
Speaker 2: Tour he's gonna have. They're not gonna let him do it. Obviously, you wouldn't do no touch push with tour. But second of all, Bro, you got slide. It's okay, this slide. I'm not looking at the quarterback. Oh he took for what you've been taking those nigs like that, and they're looking to punish you because you don't have the protection of the pocket, because once you leave that pocket, you're a runner. So I'm gonna hit you like Dare Henry.
Speaker 3: Free game, free game. Uh.
Speaker 2: I mean you go from you have Drew Brees for a number of years and then you go from tour?
Speaker 3: What was it? What was it like? What was breeze like?
Speaker 5: Breeze was a breeze was a killer man. He was an assassin. He prepared like like a federal agent.
Speaker 3: He was.
Speaker 5: He's prepared man like he's trying to build a re case on everything that we played. Man, you would did you hear the cliche first one in, last one to leave? But that was genuinely him, That was truly him. I would see him on those off days. Man's he's preparing like none other. And you've seen it every week. And it was no matter the outcome of the game too. This was the special part about him, Noe. No matter how he played individually or if it was a winner loss, he put the same amount of time in.
Speaker 3: He gave every team the same amount of attention and respect.
Speaker 5: Playing the Falcons twice a year, that second game even though we just beat them about fifteen two weeks ago. He's going to put those same amount of hours in and that's why he was He was the greatest.
Speaker 4: Hey, hey, T did you understand before? Did you understand the animosity and the hatred that the Saints fans had for the Falcon fan?
Speaker 5: Did you know that?
Speaker 3: No? I didn't. Honestly I didn't. I didn't know that was such a thing.
Speaker 5: But I quickly adopted it, quickly adopted quickly, like I hate them folks still.
Speaker 4: They got for listen, I think I found out maybe two or three years ago. And here I go, try to have a Kumba y'all moment, trying to.
Speaker 6: Get fans ain't happening. Become wanted the game, you know, yeah, like man, f No, like you know I'm talking about like for real, I'm thinking they you know, I think they play around on Twitter and then people say, like this is really I really hate them people like they do.
Speaker 2: Not mess with Saints fans, do not mess with Falcon fans and Falcon fans you best believe then on't they don't fans?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I hate that serious I had I didn't need it, oho, But like I said, I quickly adopted it.
Speaker 3: I still hate them to this day. Like I'm not rocking with the Falcons ever.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: Lacers on leather rank the NFL atmosphere from best to worse? What do you think that of the best atmosphere? NFL atmosphere is? What do you think the best?
Speaker 3: What is?
Speaker 4: Honestly, Hey, it gotta be between Kansas City and Seattle.
Speaker 3: In the city is number one. Okay, I go through the top ten.
Speaker 2: The Chiefs are one, Packers are two, Three, Hawks are three, Vikings are four, Ravens are five, Bills are six, Lions are seven, Saints are eight, Patriots are nine. Cowboys are ten. I don't know how Cowboys made it, cause they ain't got no home feeling. They lose all the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, for sure.
Speaker 5: The stadium nice, though, I think it's just raising the stadium ranking the stadium for the Cowboys.
Speaker 3: I don't think it's it's gotta be talking about the environment, cause I'm saying to see almost like six games last year home. Yeah, and don Cowboys don't that don't really have a unless there.
Speaker 5: Unless they winning the their fans will show up and there's so many people in that stadium we will hear it. I'm shocked to hear that that that New Orleans was so low on that list. That Super Dome is crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but y'all, y'all, y'all been, y'all been, y'all been struggling, y'all been on hard, y'all been some leading years.
Speaker 3: So this is this is what last year is like best.
Speaker 2: But I'm just saying, look, I give y'all credit now, y'all, y'all be making some noise because I remember Katrina when y'all with y'all y'all played in San Antonio. I think he was in San Antonio when.
Speaker 3: They came back.
Speaker 2: He blocked that punt on that night game against the Falcon I mean you could literally hear it through the television. I mean it was this I don't know, and Sean Payte and all the people say they've never heard it that loud before or since that night.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, that that was definitely a special moment.
Speaker 5: But during my tenure in New Orleans, we were always it was U y'all was goods the city as far as like the loudest crowd noise, the Saints was always then near the top.
Speaker 2: And I'm not surprised that a look. I mean, look at it. A lot of these Seahawk vikings A Dome, Lions Dome, Saints Dome, Cowboys Dome. It's something about when you can get a you can get an outdoor arena and you get that kind of like the Chiefs have. Like when I played the broncos Man, Oh my, how that thing be rocking? They that's seventy six thousand I'm talking about, they'd be going crazy.
Speaker 3: Pole chargers right down here at the bottle. Yeah, yeah, charges in Listen.
Speaker 4: I've been in some great atmospheres.
Speaker 6: I played at every stadium that's on here, and I honestly no one Number two should be the Bengals.
Speaker 4: Honestly.
Speaker 3: Bus stop Yeah, cut it out.
Speaker 4: Listen, listen to me, stay with me.
Speaker 6: Now, never been in the jungle, boy, You've never been in jungle on a primetime game in Cincinnati.
Speaker 3: You see what you got to see what you had? You say, I preface the tea. A time game.
Speaker 2: Ain't gotta be no prime time game. It can be any game. It could be a preseason game. It can be a note of what you're scrimmaging against yourself under the lights. They's gonna be ruckus that ain't what y'all do.
Speaker 3: That that's what we do. That's what it's not.
Speaker 4: The coach over there has changed tremendously.
Speaker 9: You hear me.
Speaker 5: I was, yeah, I would when I give you, I give you credit, Joe, it is it has from my earlier years to now. I feel like now is a lot better atmosphere.
Speaker 3: They were. They're all white. Yes, it's rocking that Joe Burrow, the icy white. It's not top ten, not in the top ten though. Gu's what, No, it's not when they wear them, I said, white.
Speaker 2: All you gonna do is see them see see them scared marks because they gonna poop the band.
Speaker 3: They already gonna st they gonna do it with poop the bed.
Speaker 5: Ain't nothing going on.
Speaker 3: Pop it off. That's that Baltimore raven coming out. I know what that is. I know what that. That's that hatred.
Speaker 5: Y'alls been asking me about one five in the Saint No Stillers, Yeah, y'all still.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Steelers, No, we and us for the in the Denver it would be it was the Raiders, then the Chiefs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was it was Feelers.
Speaker 4: I mean during my time, it was the Ravens. Ravens and Steelers.
Speaker 3: It was bad.
Speaker 2: It was y'all be with Cleveland because y'all try to see who own Ohio.
Speaker 4: Listen, I worry about y'all with my time. During my time, we used to beat up on the Ravens and the Steelers.
Speaker 3: Well maybe you did. I was. I was long gone to get them shots on ray middle of the fields. You saw.
Speaker 4: That thing on you Black?
Speaker 3: Yeah, he put.
Speaker 4: The trip trip tripped, Cardinals, the Bear.
Speaker 3: The Chargers. So what you're thinking on Joe, what they what they get right, what they get wrong? Who?
Speaker 9: I mean?
Speaker 6: Know, this is about right though I'm not sure who made this list, but it's about right, you know. But the funny thing about it is the fact that some of the dome teams are a little low. That's a testament to the fans in Seattle, in Green Bay, in Kansas City. Yeah, and funny thing the first thing I said before, as soon as you mentioned we were doing a rank in the best stadiums, I said, I said Kansas City and Seattle right away, goddamn loud tea.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, no, for sure.
Speaker 4: I don't know if it's the way the stadium is built, I don't know what it is. It's like you be on the field and can't hear nothing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, for sure the Seattle game we played that my rookie year in the playoffs and up.
Speaker 3: With the beef quake happened. No, that wasn't that. Man, Oh yeah, that wasn't.
Speaker 5: I wasn't a part of that. I would have tripped him. But you know, it's second round of the playoffs and Champagne. So we went up there. We kind of like battle for the number one seed. Middle of the season. We played on Monday night. It's twenty eighth to nothing. Immediately first quarter they smacked us. So when we go back in the playoffs, Champaygton had us all these custom ear pieces.
Speaker 3: Made dead silence.
Speaker 5: So all week we were these earpieces and we nonverbally communicated every play, every snapcount, and we got up there and we we did it.
Speaker 3: It worked like a charm as far as that. We still lost.
Speaker 5: Of course, they went on and won a Super Bowl, but it was it was that, y'all to you to your point, it was really it was so loud that it like hurt. So we had these custom earpieces like a Kansas City. We did that with Kansas City, but the old Kingdome. Before they built this stadium, they used to have They used to have a dome and see how to call the Kingdome.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know that didn't know that they Now it only hold about sixty thousand. But boy, you talk about loud.
Speaker 5: They being that rocket. Now it doesn't always brain in this Seattle. It's always ran in this Seattle. Those people walking around sad all week and they go in the stadium and screen.
Speaker 3: That's all it is. It's all the rain.
Speaker 2: The old the astronom was like that steal. Oh, the House of Pain. Used to call it the House of Pain. They did well, you know, they had warm moon, they ran the running shoot and their defense made.
Speaker 9: Hm.
Speaker 5: Boy.
Speaker 3: But the Bills, the Bills is like the Bill Stadium. That's loud. They got it.
Speaker 2: I don't know they call it now. I don't know what they call it in Mark or whatever. They call it high Mark or something. But it used to be called uh Rich Stadium. Oh Joe, Yeah, them joke gonna be talking about let's go Buffalo.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not gonna lie. It's hard. Yeah, it's that. That's that's that was one of my favorite plays to play throughout my career and start jumping around there, you better tell it. Yeah, no, that it's hard. It's hard. They got a nice atmosphere up there.
Speaker 4: Buffalo got some crazy fans.
Speaker 3: They tell me they're jumping, wrestling, jumping on the tables.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, no, they got real football up there, real football atmosphere.
Speaker 4: You know it's funny too, t when you think about it.
Speaker 3: Unk.
Speaker 4: Listen, Buffalo. Buffalo fans deserve their flowers anytime it comes to donating. You know, when they have them, what Buffalo fans come through like no other.
Speaker 3: No, that's the fun, that's a fun.
Speaker 4: They always show love.
Speaker 3: Man, they used the tragedy. They always lose, so they know how to have to lose the well you know what I mean, Like they know.
Speaker 5: How to get close, get to the door and get close shut on them. So they used to lose and they.
Speaker 3: Know to handle it will.
Speaker 2: Oh so you good Chiefs one, Packers, se Yawk's, Vikings, Ravens, Bills, Lions, Saints, Patriots, Cowboys.
Speaker 5: Ain's too low, Saints too low? You think Saints should be in the top five.
Speaker 3: Real real Saints atmosphere, top top three environment? Oh whoa hold on?
Speaker 4: If the Saints top three environment and then Cincinnati was damn show.
Speaker 3: Who got to be no argument, It ain't even in the same Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, I haven't played in this new stadium, but the old Metro Dome. You played no Metro Dome, right.
Speaker 3: Tea, crazy crazy them too. I can't stand.
Speaker 2: I played up there, man, when they had they had Johnny Randall, they had Chris Doman rest his soul, they had ke Keith Millard, they had Alga and they had Henry Thomas. Hank boy, they had a defense out of this one. Yeah, boy, boy, boy boy. If Floyd the defensive court down, I think it was Floyd Peters, Floyd Floyd. What's Floyd's last name? I think it was Reese. Boy you're talking about Come man, don't let them sack. Don't you let them take that quarterback?
Speaker 3: Tea? Yeah, yeah, sure, all right, Jordan, because right now he just logged on for fact.
Speaker 2: He one of the all the first athlete, the original music mad fan god. He's been try We've been trying to get him on for a minute. We linked up a couple of weeks ago. He said, man, let me come on back out and here you ladies and gentlemen, your favorite rappers, favorite rapper.
Speaker 9: What what's up, hunk? What's up?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 3: Then what they do?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 9: We live in life, We blessed, We alive.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 10: I'm loving the man. Happy to be here with you. Are you'all nor I'm a big fan of the show. Shout out to my my guy up there, man, big dog. I'm not a Dolphins fan, but I'm a Dolphins supporter. I'm a Dolphins supporter.
Speaker 9: I got fan out of Miami. But shut out to you, man, shout out to the whole crew.
Speaker 3: Yes, sure, shout out told you.
Speaker 2: Make sure you're from the faith living in LA Now, So were you a Raiders fan? You're a forty nine Ers fan.
Speaker 9: I'm a Raider.
Speaker 3: You see that.
Speaker 9: The Niners to us, they like the They like the prima donnas of the Bay.
Speaker 5: You learn it like that they liked the.
Speaker 10: Pretty girl at school. Everybody want the Raiders. We got in there, Gritton. Growing up, my mom was in real estate, so one of her first real estate deals was Lance Johnstone. When he came to the Raiders, he used to give us tickets to the game and my mom would always take me to the game. And then one of my close friends, Taiwan Jones, he was drafted to the Raiders from our high school, Deer Valley. So always been a big Raider fan, Marshawn Lynch, Charles Woodson, you'd always been a big Raider fan.
Speaker 3: Man, All right, we'll get you out here. CJ.
Speaker 2: Gardner Johnson goes off on DC big FANGI on ig. I was a tenth dummy for them, So now they can be like my scheme work or did my skills set make it work? I had zero issues. People had issues with me, So yeah, let the salary cap be the excuse. Uh, big Fangio. He said that CJ. Gardner Johnson trade was a salary cap issue, a salary cap thing, and I'm fine with it.
Speaker 3: Just don't let the young guys know like y'all did.
Speaker 9: Hey, uh what.
Speaker 3: What hold on? Man?
Speaker 2: Basically, he said the situation was a big fan of Joe the defensive coordinator. He said they traded him because it was a salary cap issue. Now, they didn't save a whole lot of money, maybe a couple of hundred thousand dollars, but moving forward, because you got who you got coming up, o Jo, you got that big dog up front, he gonna it's gonna take some break big And then you got, you're gonna have brother. You're gonna have brother Mitchell. He gonna be coming up and you're gonna have to of the Jon. He gonna be coming up.
Speaker 4: Right, So they clean the house.
Speaker 2: Oh you know, but it happens, Bro, You got a ring, You got an opportunity to come back. You gotta ring, and and somebody wanted you. When somebody trades you to y'all, let me know what you think about this team. When somebody trade for you, they're telling you they want you. Okay, Tho, the team didn't want me. This new team traded for me. They gave up something to give me. So clearly they see the value in me, even if the old team doesn't.
Speaker 3: J J. He real passionate, man.
Speaker 5: He's very vocal. That's that's his that's his his biggest attribute.
Speaker 3: His passion.
Speaker 5: The way that he play the game is like that's how he is off the field too, though. He's very he's very vocal, very passionate. So if it's the way that he's feeling, you really can't convince him otherwise. So like, even though that the Houston Texans did want him, they wanted him, they traded for him, they gave away compensation for him to be a part of their team.
Speaker 3: CJ is still gonna let let Philly know how you feel. That's just that's just how he is. That's how you are.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know I told her CD all the time. Man, CJ and I are really close. Like like T said, he's very passionate about that's about the way the game, the game of football in general, the way it is and some of the things that that that he knows what's going on. I think he allows that passion and love for the game. He gets that it's business at.
Speaker 2: The end of the day, always has been, always will be. And it's tough though. It's tough when you devote so much, you know, like you said, think about it. You getting out there and you can't walk until Wednesday, and you're out there hobbling, and you doing everything you can to give them everything you can and then they do something like this.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I definitely get it. I'm trying to some want dad.
Speaker 10: So three of you guys, like, what is it like kind of being married to a situation. You may have bought a home in this city or whatever it may be. You raised the family here and because it's time to blow it up and we want to get younger players.
Speaker 9: And what's that like? That transition like having to know you gotta leave.
Speaker 6: Right you understand it, you understand it, see him like I already do. At some point I knew my time was coming. I didn't know when that they would be, but obviously I was able to squeeze out ten years normally ten years to your cutoff point, no matter how good you are. If you go down the list of some of the great receivers, that have been very few that stayed on one team for a very long time.
Speaker 4: The two that I can think of, maybe the longest might have been Jerry Rice and Larry and Gerald.
Speaker 3: You know Jerry.
Speaker 6: Jerry at some point left for Larry for Jerald's one of the few I can think of that stayed at one organization for a very long time. I knew my time was coming.
Speaker 4: So while I was there, wherever I was at, whatever cars, I was there, but I was from the play in my hand SAE, I had fun.
Speaker 6: So when that time did come, you know, I was at peace with it because I understood the business side of it, which is why I chose to have fun instead.
Speaker 4: Because I understood the politics and businesside that came with it.
Speaker 2: You know it's going to happen, but it doesn't make it any easierts what you or what you give to that organization. All those painkilling injections that I took, all that, all all that, those those poor doll shots that I took just to be able to go play, and now I have one down year, You're like, oh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll be good.
Speaker 2: Seven consecutive Pro Bowls, first Team All Pro through five yard all that. Man, it's tough to y'all. Hey T, I ain't gonna tell you no, Like, yeah that is. I'm like, bro, Damn, I thought I was gonna be one of them John Elways, I'm gonna get me twelve thirteen, oh T with one thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah No, it's real. It's real, simple for real.
Speaker 5: Just and just to add to what Ocho and Uncle's saying, especially it's today's media and Adam Schefter and Ian Rappaport them guys get the news before you do, you know what I mean. So that's that's the part that I've seen we be really impactful negatively to some players. I had one of my teammates here in the Saints. He was a running back and we Bro we chilling in training camp, playing the game, and he just scrolling on Twitter. Bro, he just got released by the Saints. He had no idea, Like, no idea, it was real. He got released. They kept one of the rookie running backs that they had they had drafted, so on Twitter, he had no idea, you know what I mean, that's the part that hurt.
Speaker 3: The fact of the matter is is what Oko.
Speaker 2: And now we go around sometimes I'm like, Bro, when Adam Schefter and these guys be talking, where do you think they're getting that from?
Speaker 3: They getting that from the teams, They're getting.
Speaker 2: That from the general managers, they getting that from owners, They're getting that from playing personnel director. They're getting that from NFL sources. Oh look, yes they do. I mean Adam Schefter making you know, long, lots of money. These were these are insiders. They make a lot of money and they built up great relationships because and this is why they say anonymous. This is why they say sources, because the moment they give up one source, they're done. I hope you've made a lot of money, because if you give up one source, nobody will ever go on record with you again. Nobody will ever tell you. Ish, That's why Adam Schefter got all those phones. That's why he taking calls.
Speaker 3: He's live on air taking calls. That's crazy. There main no dummy calls.
Speaker 10: That's crazy. That's why I got so much love for the King. You know, we see out the eye when it come to King James Unk. That's why I got so much love for the King because these organizations got the ability to move you where they want you to be, but you never kind of got the opportunity to pick where you want to go.
Speaker 5: All right, So but let me ask you one question. I'm gonna get out of your guys way going going through your discography. Man, what's it like to have a song with the legendary DMX. Man?
Speaker 9: Honestly, bro, Like, I can't, I can't.
Speaker 10: I can't tell you because the way that happened, I really wasn't involved on the process of that. That was Joinner Lucas's team and him and X had a relationship, and right before X had passed, I believe that might have been the last verse. Joiner told me that he might have laid before he passed. Me had a great relationship and they had laid a song and one day Joiner hit me. He was like, yo, I got this joint me and X did, I want you to get on it? And of course I was honored to be a part of it. Is ex I grew up trying to be like X, from rapping like him to trying to act like them in Exit Wounds, you know, So.
Speaker 9: It was just a blessing to be a part of it, honestly, Man, I dope.
Speaker 2: Man, Yeah with TI, I know you got to get out of here. Man, I appreciate that. We appreciate your time. Good looking shot. You guys get some more time. Hey, stop back by with us again. Man, we love to have you first.
Speaker 3: Man, I appreciate you guys. Love Yeah, hold on all right, what you got hey, tell us about the YouTube channel youre getting ready to launch.
Speaker 5: Boom oh yeah, just really man, being a big fan of you guys, showing everything you guys doing. I'm looking to get into my own I want to talk O line. I want to talk on line D line. Get some details of the trenches. How Kobe and Peyton Manning had the detailed show and they really broke down right what they're seeing, how they analyze the game.
Speaker 3: I want to be one of those.
Speaker 5: People and kind of really take over that that avenue for O line D line to where it's okay, easily digestible. So I can I can be an educator in that space. So you know what technique is used, you know who that sack is on and how it happened, you know what I mean. That's going to be a part of my YouTube show. So Toronto on the Stead show coming. So man, I appreciate you guys. You already got a partner, We got some we got some things.
Speaker 3: We got something. Yeah, we gotta talk online, got to talk.
Speaker 4: God, h you got you gotta talk to you know, Big Willy Andson.
Speaker 3: Yeah for sure.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we believe, we believe we'd be real good in that space, especially from an informative standpoint playing playing the old line position.
Speaker 3: Man, gonna be there for sure. Yeah, all right, what TV.
Speaker 2: We really appreciate Daddy YouTube show launched on June seventeenth. He's gonna break down. It's gonna be the final points of old line and D line play. What actually happened? The set, quick set, jump set, He watched the staff, he dropped down, he played for the bull. He's been all that stuff all the good stuff and the interesting stuff that a lot of people don't talk about. You'll be able to get that on tear Toront's YouTube channel, so check it out. Is launching June seventeenth. T Appreciate your time, man, and when you start back by with.
Speaker 9: His book Shut Out Teeth.
Speaker 5: The volume