Speaker 1: Welcome to episode number two twelve of the Marine Layer Podcast. We are live in Peoria. It's Mariner's spring training season. We'll talk about everything we have seen so far.
Speaker 2: Here's your guys reminder before we start this podcast, as always, make sure you're downloading these episodes. If you're listening, make sure rate review, leave it five stars. If you're on YouTube, go like, comment and subscribe everywhere. Go check out our Patreon which is brand new. We love the support over on that side. And then if you're on social media, we know most of you are follow us everywhere at Marine Layer Pod.
Speaker 3: Let's get it rolling and we welcome you to this episode of the.
Speaker 1: Marine Layer Podcast, part of the Just Baseball podcast network, recording on Monday evening, February twenty fourth, from spring training.
Speaker 3: We are live here in Puria today.
Speaker 1: What is the biggest storyline so far do we think, Lyle, Is it that we got to see the kick change up?
Speaker 3: Is it that it's mid eighties the entire week here?
Speaker 1: Is it that we have this makeshift podcast studio in a hotel room or is it the fact we walked into the complex yesterday and you didn't have sunscreen?
Speaker 2: Who which storyline? Do I want to go with. How about the fact that if people are watching on YouTube, they can see one of us made their bed and one of us didn't. Now, who do we think that was?
Speaker 1: Now, this is a hotel. Who's what you're making? A hotel bed?
Speaker 2: I like this people who get paid to do that. I like to sit on a nice bed personally.
Speaker 1: Well as the people. Yeah, if you watch on YouTube, it's like, it's fine. Like there are a few ruffles here, there's a few imperfections, but for the most part, it's fine.
Speaker 2: Whatever.
Speaker 3: Cuncture was a good napbed. We had Leo's Island today.
Speaker 1: By the way, if you guys are coming down to Peoria and you need somewhere to eat, we.
Speaker 3: Talked about it last year. We'll just talk about it again.
Speaker 1: If you need the ultimate plate of carbs and chicken after a spring training game, Leo's Island Barbecue.
Speaker 3: You'll sit down, you'll.
Speaker 1: Eat the entire thing, if you have a good appetite, and then you'll go back to wherever you are and then you'll probably knock out for three hours.
Speaker 3: That's exactly what we did today.
Speaker 2: I would say this very much mirrored what happens just about every day when I get up for Brockensack in the sense of by the end of the show, you know, the juices are going and you're in the middle of live radio and you're enjoying it, and you're thinking to yourself, Yeah, I'm up now. I might have gotten three hours of sleep last night, but I'll be fine. But then you get home and you start to relax, and you realize you've had some food in you, and then you think to yourself, wow, I'm really tired, and then you fall asleep. Even though every day I say I'm not going to do that, that is exactly what happened here on Monday.
Speaker 3: You scoffed Hi my nap idea.
Speaker 2: I did for that exact reason. I think to myself, well, I'm not doing the rate. I'm not. I've done a little bit of brocken Sock stuff this week, and I'll continue to do that, but it's not like the full four hours get up at four thirty, et cetera. Anyway, I thought to myself, I'll be fine. Let's figure out something to do in the afternoon. And boy was I wrong. Between still getting up early, being out in the sun all day, probably not drinking enough water, had this huge play to Leo's Island and then get back to rest. Oh yeah, we fell asleep.
Speaker 1: Not only did Lyle scoff at my nap idea, he fell asleep before I did that.
Speaker 2: That's a tough look.
Speaker 3: That's tough look for Big Al.
Speaker 1: But that's good because tomorrow and Tuesday, when we go to spring training, he's gonna be You're gonna be nice and arrested. You're gonna be nice arrested. How many short short jokes do we get today?
Speaker 2: You know? Funny enough? Didn't hear one from Divish? I thought that was gonna be the second we walked in the door, and shockingly, he didn't do it. We got plenty from Brockensall, but from Diviish none, So I would say that'll last another day. Max. I'm sure by the time this podcast comes out there will be a short shorts joke. There always is.
Speaker 1: Did anyone else have shorter shorts than we did today? I'm trying to think, do we see any No, I'm actually dead serious. That's a dead serious question.
Speaker 2: Well, people should get with the times.
Speaker 3: People should get with the times. I was thinking of any of the players.
Speaker 2: I feel like a lot of guys were actually in baseball pants today, so not really they were.
Speaker 1: They did have a game to play today in Milwaukee. That speaking of which, we're there at the facility. This is your probably call. If you're trying to go see Mariners spring training, you should probably get there early because, for you know, ninety five percent of these spring training games, these guys are playing a one o'clock game local time, and the facility is, especially if they're a road game, desolate by I would say eleven o'clock. It was, like I described it today, like a like a half day at school. It got to eleven o'clock today and the facility was empty. You know, when I say empty, I mean literally the only people left at the Mariners facility by eleven am support staff. There was not a single player seen around there. So that's your call. If you want to go see these guys, gotta get here early.
Speaker 2: I'd say two things, Yes, get out to the facility early. But this Monday felt like a little bit of a rarity because there's usually still stuff going on in the backfield with minor leaguers. I mean, it was a ghost town today. Usually even when the big leaguers go off. I feel like there's still stuff going on at the backfields oftentimes, but not today felt like a little bit of a light day. Anyway, Baseball storylines, I think there's only one thing. Well, do we want to start with the big story or do we want to let people wait for the big story.
Speaker 3: Let's do the small ones first, all right.
Speaker 2: So there is one big overarching story that I would say is the story of Camp over the last few days. Yeah, let's start with a couple other things. First, Ryan Bliss getting some work at third base today, which is interesting. I guess it shouldn't be surprising because if you're somebody like him and his role that either is going to be a second basement or utility infielder, you want him to play multiple positions, try to have some versatility. So obviously second base is his main spot. But to see him working over at third base, yeah, I guess it shouldn't be too shocking because you want to see him move around the infield a little bit.
Speaker 3: There's a positive and a negative from this.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say the positive for Ryan Bliss's part is that when you look at him, he looks like a second baseman. He's not the most physically imposing dude. He doesn't have the strongest arm when it comes to playing defense on the infield, so that's gonna most of the time lead to playing second base.
Speaker 3: If he can manage third.
Speaker 1: We've there have been Mariner's third baseman, hence Kyle Sieger one of the best third basements of the Mariners have ever had. Didn't have the strongest start in himself over there, but he made it work. He was very good at you know, right angles and stuff and accurate throws. That's, you know, that's the worry with someone like Ryan Bliss playing over there at third base.
Speaker 3: Can he manage it?
Speaker 2: Do we know?
Speaker 1: Like he's gonna need to play some real games at at third. I'm not talking spring training games. I'm I'm saying real big league games at third. It's honestly, maybe a better fit for his bat at the like probably the peak of his bat, because Mariner second basement notoriously don't hit third baseman. You know, Ryan Bliss has got the tools to hit. He showed it off over the weekend. He crushed the ball. Was it Saturday one hopped off the centerfield fence against the Angels. I believe that game was it's great. So he's got a lot of thunder in that bat, which is great. So they can find a way to get his bat in the lineup a little bit more. That's great, and playing third base will certainly help him. The reason he's playing third is that the bad news is not bad news, but maybe something that you will keep an eye on. Raise your eyebrow at when you think about the two guys that. Let's paint the picture here. So Low and I are sitting there in the back part where the media and the players are and Field one is the one right next to us, and we're watching infield, and if you look at it, we're standing there on the dirt watching the infield. There's the two third basemen. Jorge Blanco was not participating in this. It was Miles Master, Bony and Ryan Bliss. Those are the two third basemen available. Jorge Polanco was sitting inside the dugget at this point. He's still getting his knee back into good shape, so he's not out there on the infield dirt. It does sort of put in perspective where the Mariner's third base spot is. The potential production of what Jorge Polanco can bring is fantastic, it's great, but seeing what happens if a plus thirty year old Jorge Polanco off of major knee surgery, something.
Speaker 3: Happens to him, it is thin, to say the least, then a good describer.
Speaker 2: Do you have a different word, No, that's probably right, because again, if he goes down, who's really behind him at third base? You could list off Austin Shenton, but he's not really a third baseman at this point. He's just he's not a great defender. So yeah, that's why you saw Bliss and you saw Master Boni out there, which if that's what you're resorting to, it's not a ton of depth. It's just how it is. So they kind of neat Polanco out there and playing third base. I don't I'm not get overly concerned yet, considering it's been a week not even since position players have reported officially, and they're just getting into the flow of things, so I'm not gonna freak out yet. Hopefully in the next few days you start to see him out there and taking ground balls and starting to get acclimated and everything. But yeah, exactly, they need some backup options if he were to be injured or if he spends any time during the year on the IL no matter what. So to see Bliss getting work over there. The big question with him is could he make that throw? But you want him to have some versatility. You don't want him just as a second basement only, so I get it. The big question is just about those long throws for him.
Speaker 3: We've also, though, talked about the depth a little bit.
Speaker 1: We said, yeah, there are points on this team that are thin, and the infield well, the infield, as unproven as it is, the group is also incredibly thin across the board when you look at returning production and guys backing up other positions, it's just not really there.
Speaker 3: At this point.
Speaker 1: I don't think anything in compasses that more than if you take a look at that third base option, and that's if Dylan Moore is penciled in at the everyday second basement, which takes his backup option him being a backup option, excuse me, away from any of these other positions. So it's like almost like the snowball effect when it comes to when it comes to how we look at this infield.
Speaker 2: Well, the other option here is if Polo does start the year on the IL or if just at any point during the year he misses some time, I feel like the more likely route they go is Demo just plays third and Bliss play second. So it's not great depth. I get it they don't have a ton, but that's probably how they would operate the infield if I had to guess. I think also, okay, let me call back something you said. Do you feel like Bliss's bat really is better for third base. I know he's got the potential to hit, but I don't really think of his bat profiling as a third basement. I think if a Moore is a second base profile.
Speaker 1: Bat, are we basing it off of the MLB average, which, by the way, third basement recently have not been the best hitting group in Major League Baseball. So maybe that saves my argument a little bit instead of me talking out of my ass. Or are we judging it off of based off of what the Mariners did last year at those positions?
Speaker 2: Well, second base and third base. If you're judging off last year, pick your poison. I mean, Ryan Bliss is.
Speaker 3: A perfect fit at third base.
Speaker 2: Well, now you're being mean to Ryan Bliss. That's that's not I'm not.
Speaker 1: I'm saying he's more, probably more talented when they what they got out of the out of the production at those positions last year, which you and I both said have stunk.
Speaker 2: I see that, all right, all right, that's that's fair. Yeah. Look, if Bliss can move around, that's great. And if he can play third, and he can play second, you know he can play some shortstop too, because he also played shortstop at Auburn and he did a little bit in the minors, so that he can move around the infield. And to see him moving around the infield's probably a good sign. I would say. Storyline number two is Matt Brash just continues to progress in his bullpens, which awesome sign. He's up to ninety ninety one. He's mixing stuff in. No setbacks yet and hopefully there are none, but all good signs so far.
Speaker 1: We watched him in cor throw today. They were throwing their bullpens simultaneously, and they're both rehabbing from Tommy John and each is at a different stage. COR's gonna be ready a little bit later, I think around mid season. Brashes, as we've talked about, gonna be ready earlier. So Brash was up into the nineties core was in the mid eighties. Here brash sequence is it this way? I did learn this from Ryan Divish and this why is the best because he knows everything Brash. When he's rehabbing, he will go. If you see this online, just remember this from perspective. As he ramps this back up, he will go. Every other bullpen where he throws his slider, he doesn't spin it every single bullpen. It sounds like, so today was one of those odd bullpens where he's throwing his slider. His next bullpen that he throws, he's gonna do only fastballs and he'll probably keep it right around the same velocity of ninety ninety one miles an hour. I'll say it looks a lot faster standing behind it, but that's only how much it was. Jackson Carr was about eighty eight to eighty five today, even though he's big, and again when the mit pops, it makes it look like he's throwing a lot harder. But he was only sitting in the mid eighties today. He's still got a little bit to go in his rehab. Can I just note shout out to the Mariners for some of these renovations that they're spring training complex as media, it is.
Speaker 3: So much better.
Speaker 1: It's a great So think about it on the patio because you could see this if you come to the Peoria Sports Complex, you show you as a fan can show up there. First of all, they've taken away the chain link fence that essentially separated the bullpens from the from the fans and the general viewing public in that little grass area where you can watch field one and you can watch field two or all the major leaguers are usually on. And they instead put some turf down right on the fans side of that, and then they pushed essentially the fence down and lowered it to a out waist high where it's you know, it's metal, you can lean on it, you could put a drink on their water bottle, et cetera. So the fans don't have like an obstructed chain link view of watching these guys throw their bullpen. They're just a little bit farther back and there is all there's that now turf area right in front of them where guys can get turf work in, and it I think it feels like as a fan that you're a little bit closer to it. But also they've carved out a little bit more space for the media members and the players to stand behind the bullpens and watch these guys throw, which is which is really nice, I would say objectively for us. And they threw in some more chairs on the patio for us, which was very nice. We can sit down on the patio in these like these lawn chairs and it's it's fantastic.
Speaker 3: So shout out the Mariners like that was great. I love the turf.
Speaker 2: Oh, all the renovations look awesome. The bullpens were fun to watch last year, even just watching it from behind the pitcher, but being behind the catcher one eighty different perspective, like if you were back there watching Andre's Munio throws bullpens. Jeez. And we'll get to him in a minute. So color and brawn sure on a little bit of different timelines. One because Brash is one Brash is just doing phenomenally in his recovery, it sounds like. But also another thing that look, I'm not a doctor, but I'll try to explain this as best as I can. I think cor had the full Tommy John with the full brace, with the longer recovery, so he is taking closer to the full fourteen to eighteen months to work back. Brash didn't have that full thing. His timeline is about more of a twelve twelve month timeline that he sounds like he's on track to beat right now because his surgery was a little bit different. So Brash is progressing well. Car seems to be progressing well. That was certainly another takeaway from today. I would say, what else want?
Speaker 3: What else I want to touch on here?
Speaker 1: Cole Emerson hit the dick out of a ball this weekend, one hundred and eleven point six miles an hour.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: I can't wait to when we get to finally go to our first game at spring training here on Wednesday.
Speaker 3: I hope he plays because this dude.
Speaker 1: I mean, talk about buzzk anybody about cult Emerson and the impersonation of him as a baseball player. I mean, man, oh man like dude status. I don't think there's there's not a lot of minor leaguers now in the Maritor system, not in most systems, that you can comp cult Emerson too, because there's just that extra level. Shout out to laz here on Monday hit a home run to dead center field in the big league game.
Speaker 3: Against the Brewers. That was pretty cool.
Speaker 1: Michael Arroyo had a ground world double down the left field line that was also pretty cool. What do we think of if we want to take a leaf out of.
Speaker 3: Brockywarts book, what do we think of the physiques today?
Speaker 2: I gotta tell you, speaking of cult Emerson, we talked to him last year around this time in spring training, and he looked like more of a typical minor leaguer. He'd just been drafted six or seven months prior and was just getting his feet wet in his first spring training period. He was over in minor league spring training, and he got a handful of games throughout that spring to get a few at bats in the big league games, but he was not in big league camp. He's in big league camp this spring. He's starting to really look like a big leaguer. If you want to go the physique route here, he's starting to look pretty built. That was one of my big takeaways from today.
Speaker 3: I thought, Yeah, who's someone else? Brian Wu?
Speaker 1: I thought looked really good, dude. Enormous legs on Brian Wu, which is really good for him. Who else stood out? Julio obviously looks like Salk's words were chiseled out of granite. I think today for Julio, that was good. I thought everyone looked good. I thought Munio looked slim. I thought he looked really good. Andre's Muniz when he's out there on the on the bump. So that was good.
Speaker 2: What No? Yeah? Uh, Darius Valdez. I don't know if he's gonna be on the team. But that dude, that dude's a tank. He's six' eight. Crazy let me make one more. Note, now this was not while we were. Here this is the last, NOTE i think before we get to our big. Story this is not why we were. Here this Was sunday while we were traveling. In it got reported That Cole young's been limited a little bit over the last few. Days it sounds like he's got a little bit of a sore throwing, arm so he hasn't been in the field. Much he pinch hitting the game On, sunday but that's been A he just hasn't gotten crazy extended, work at least for. Now and it doesn't sound like it's too. Serious but it being this early in the, year it being spring, TRAINING i think The mariners are operating cautiously which is obviously. Smart that being, said if, POSSIBLE i would love to see a bunch Of Cole young this week because, it if you ask, me this is the most intriguing dude in this entire. Camp AND i say that because he has such a wide range of opportunity in terms of where he could be by the end of the. SPRING i don't think he's gonna make the roster out a big league, camp BUT i want to see how close he truly. Is because of all the highly tieded, prospects he is the closest one to the, show AND i want to see how he handles a full six or so weeks of big league.
Speaker 1: Camp he's the only top ten prospect that has a chance at the big league roster within the first three months of the, season and that adds all the intrigue you need because the. Prospects we love watching the thinking of the hypotheticals of all these, guys but, really once they make the big, leagues that's when this real interest start starts in all these guys and that real impact can be. Made and it's just. Him everyone's looking at him and the sort of things he can. Do but like you, said we didn't see him. Today there are a few prospects we didn't see today walking. Around i'll be, curious so if we see them. Tomorrow we didn't See Johnny farmelo out, there didn't SEE. Typee they might have again just been, inside like stretching or, something or doing.
Speaker 2: Yoga I'M i, MEAN i guess that's what it.
Speaker 1: Was, yeah there were some guys that were taking it real light, today Like Shintaro fujinami for, example who threw yesterday OR i was watching. Him he spent the entire day stretching and working, out which is. Great shout out to all the pitchers who have made it to this point of their. Career so sitting there thinking about, this that's spring, training spring training and you know the regular season for. Pictures, yeah you got to put your work. In you gotta, study you gotta craft your, pitches you gotta work your, bullpens you got.
Speaker 3: To be incredibly.
Speaker 1: Detailed but once you make it to this, point man off days for pitchers is. GREAT i think it's one of the best things you could possibly. Reach is if you're a really good big league pitcher and you know how to utilize your, schedule because, man it doesn't seem like on your off days you have all that much to.
Speaker 2: DO i was gonna, say you want to rank best jobs in the. WORLD nfl backup quarterbacks toward the, top that will always be toward the, TOP a big league dominant starting pitcher that might surpass. It think about if you're somebody Like Garrett cole and you're on this huge, contract you pitch one day a week or once every five. Days the other four, days, look you have your work to get in and some things you have to, do and bullpens you have to, throw and scouting reports to go. Over but essentially you're performing one day a week or once every five, days and after that there's a lot of just hanging. Out, oh by the, way then you get thirty plus million dollars a. Year fans love, you but you're not playing every. Day it's kind of a sick.
Speaker 1: Job and in spring training that gets dialed back even. MORE i was thinking back to the high school baseball days where people make fun of pos because they literally like rake bullpens and, run like run diamonds and stuff. Like that's all they do besides, throw and people make fun of them for. It, well think about it in spring, training at least in at least in the regular, season these starters have to go out and throw eight innings every five.
Speaker 3: Days perhaps in spring.
Speaker 1: Training they're throwing at this point two innings an inning in a, third so it's you, know it's a real light workload as they're ramping. Up AND i Use fujinami as an, example because he threw out of the bullpen. Yesterday he knew he wasn't throwing. Today these guys know exactly when and when they aren't throwing based on How Dan wilson And Jerry depoto And Justin holnders decide they want to stack their pitchers up because they map all this stuff out ahead of. Time and he, Knows, MAN i could just show up to the, FACILITY i can, STRETCH i, can you, know get my workout, in and then go do whatever WHATEVER i want to. DO i will, say he was at the facility longer than ANYBODY i noticed.
Speaker 3: Today he was one of the few people left when we.
Speaker 1: Left still there at the facility, today so you, know shout out to.
Speaker 3: Him he's. DO i want to say. Fun.
Speaker 1: FUN i think fun is a good, word and adventure is another. Word it's a roller coaster watching him, pitch we saw, him we saw some of the highlights of him pitching On. Sunday it's a really interesting. Profile i'm gonna be completely. Honest will he make the big league?
Speaker 3: Roster?
Speaker 1: Know but in this, BULLPEN i mean we're talking in upper nineties. Fast will he throws a splitter at ninety three miles an? Hour the problem is he doesn't really know where it's. Going and in The sunday outing really kind of highlighted that he nearly Drilled Gabriel moreno in the. Head Alec thomas nearly had one implanet in his hips and not counting the two pitches that would have hit a batter in the other batter's box against, Him but he also struck out two. Guys so it's like dynamite stuff that goes legitimately.
Speaker 2: Anywhere are you sure he's not gonna make the big league roster out of? Camp you just list out the, bullpen especially With brash being. Out you Got, munyo's you Got, santos you Got, snyder you Have. Sauce you would Assume Gabe, spire you would Assume Trent. Thornton's so there's one spot that's probably open in. There, yeah if you list out all those guys that's up for, grabs especially With brash being. OUT i wouldn't say one hundred percent note Of fuji making the roster out of spring training because if he, throws, well that's a pretty intriguing.
Speaker 3: Arm one hundred. Percent.
Speaker 1: NO i will remember they Traded Ryan stanek last, year who had many of the same problems That fujinami, has and they traded him because of that because he could not throw enough strikes and they were sick of. It it seemed like because they essentially dumped him for. Nothing to The, mets does that like so they're like trying to see something different From, fujinami but they already know we tried this a big right handed reliever with electric top tier. Stuff how much time did we spend talking About Ryan stanick stuff last? Year like, this do us the best stuff on the. Team it's so, incredible but he can't throw Strikes And Jerry depota, said, SORRY i can't have him in my. Bullpen he doesn't throw enough. Strikes Who chinami's the same. Way i'd be down, though because it's wildly. Entertaining it would Be Fernando, rodney but he throws.
Speaker 2: Harder, yeah, exactly with probably better. Stuff so better. Stuff, yeah that bullpen spot will probably be up for, grabs so we'll. See there are other guys that are going to be fighting for it, Too we'll see which route they. Go are we ready to talk about the big storyline here on our first? DAY i. DON'T i don't think there's any storyline that could possibly overtake this so. Far This Andre's munno's change. Up you, know we heard about it the other day before we got down. Here this is insanity watching it for the first. TIME i, MEAN i thought people's reactions were maybe a little bit overplayed when they were talking about it the other. Day i'm sure it was a good, pitch BUT i thought people reactions were a little bit. Overplayed, no this thing's very for.
Speaker 1: Real, wow it's the only PITCH i Think i've ever seen In Major League baseball where everyone gasps every time it's.
Speaker 3: Thrown that's probably.
Speaker 1: Because it's new and that people he only throws it a handful of, times But i'm dead. Serious every time he threw it in a, bullpen every time he threw it in the live session he had, today people were, like, Ooh and that's how you can tell the pitch is. Good it's low nineties and when it's playing off a one hundred and one mile an hour, fastball except it drops probably so if it, has let me let's do some SOME asu math, here shout OUT asu because we're here In.
Speaker 3: Arizona if, so if his.
Speaker 1: Fastball is what like twenty inches of ride and the changeups ten, inches is that?
Speaker 3: Right DO i have that right as a thirty? Inches or AM i? Just AM i just full of? Shit right?
Speaker 1: Now, anyways there's still a big separation between his between his fastball and his. Changeup and, MAN i feel terrible for Cad marlowe because he's the only one who saw that pitch in a live bat so far as as far As i'm.
Speaker 3: Aware and, yeah he swinged and.
Speaker 1: Miss it was a really really bad, swing really bad swing For kate he had he was a little bit overmatch Against. Munnos and Then julio comes out after the fact and said, this AND i, QUOTE i don't ever plan on Facing Andres munos again because that guy's too. Good so if that doesn't tell you Where Andres munos is at with his stuff when it comes to the, fastball when it comes to the slider effectiveness when it comes to this kick change, UP i, mean it's just. Insane let's not forget this change this slider That Andres munos threw just two seasons, ago when twenty twenty, two when The mariners made the, playoffs this was a top three pitch in all of. Baseball and now he's gonna add a pitch that's if they it makes it to the regular, season that could be.
Speaker 2: BETTER i would think at this point it's trending toward the regular. Season he's Still i'm sure gonna have to throw it a bunch, more but the way it's, trending you would have to think it's at least something he'd use, sometimes even if it was four or five percent of the, time just to have. IT i, mean right, now it looks too, good AND i would assume, That, YEAH i, MEAN i would assume people are gonna just tell him keep throwing that. Pitch we don't have all the. Data we're not in those. Meetings but IF i had to, assume AND i was The mariner's analytics, team IF i was our front office, group if that was our pitching, Group i'd, say, Yeah i'd probably keep throwing that pitch because it's working and it looks.
Speaker 1: Unbelievable so and the idea behind the pitch is the same thing as his, sinker because he needed that pitch for lefties and this is just another pitch against. Lefties he'll have his four seemer and his slider against righty's and Then i'll have this change up and his sinker against, lefties and.
Speaker 3: Then he can be the ultimate.
Speaker 1: Balancer he can be the rare reliever that has four pitches that is equally balanced against lefties and. Righties and then all of a Sudden Andrex muons becomes an absolute cheap. Code how much money is he making this? Year three million?
Speaker 2: Dollars his? Contract is his contract really is something? Else because he would he would be a free agent after this. Year, yeah right, now he would be IN arb. Three he'd be in his final year because he debuted in twenty. Nineteen at least per spot, track spot, track spow, track however you say, it it says in twenty twenty five he would currently be IN arp. Three so, YEAH i, mean shout out The mariners for getting that contract, done shout out For munos for wanting to sign, it And i'm glad he's gonna be here a while because he just continues to get better and better every. Year he's still pretty, young and we know he's one of the game's best. Relievers if anybody's curious about the results he had Against julio in the live at bats, today they had. Two muno's won the first one he actually Overmatched julio a little. Bit in the first, one he blew a fastball by. Him he had him a little bit off, balance And julio got him. Back in the second one he won hopped a ball off the. WALL i don't know if there's a more fascinating and entertaining live at bat in The Cactus league Than Andres muno's Versus Ulio. Rodriguez just off the top of my, Head Emmanuel classe Versus Jose ramirez would be pretty. Cool that's a good. One. SEE i don't think starter versus star player is that, interesting even if it's an elite, starter because you see those matchups all the. Time it's these absolutely dominant relievers versus the star bats with filthy stuff that you don't get to see that. Much So i'm even trying to think out loud about some other at bats Would Mason miller Versus brent Versus Brent rooker woud be pretty. Cool, YES i don't think it's Quite Muno's, versusjulio but another one you could. Argue i'm just trying to think about some other ones out loud about those type of a. BATS i mean maybe Show hey VERSUS. Mooki if Show hey was up there, pitching that'd be maybe that one tops.
Speaker 3: It but given that show has some pitch in a long time.
Speaker 2: Right or even Maybe Roki sasaki versus Show hey would be another pretty unbelievable one point Being Andre's muno is going up Again, julio And live At bats is on a very short list for intriguing live.
Speaker 1: ABIES i have one more STORYLINE i want to talk, about BUT i believe you do have an ad to.
Speaker 2: READ i, Do and before we do, that let's talk to you guys about our friends over At Pagatchi's pub eighty. Five that's over In. Kirkland you got No it is an, awesome awesome spot to go hang. Out you want to go watch them spring training games over in the next few. Weeks you want to go set up For March. Madness head over, there you can play some, pool some, darts et. Cetera and if you want some awesome, drinks those are during Happy. Hour it's from two to six pm On monday Through. Friday drinks with three and four, bucks you, guys awesome. Deals so all of that fun time with your, friends great, food, drinks et, cetera is all over At Piggatcha's pub eighty five In. Kirkland all, right your last storyline IS i actually don't even know what it.
Speaker 1: Is let's hear it because it's a, mystery just Like Logan gilbert's new. Pitch Logan gilbert through one pitch today that was qualified as a quote unquote Per Adam jude's, tweet a mystery.
Speaker 3: PITCH i Think.
Speaker 1: Logan as far As logan went towards presenting, it he said it was a sinker.
Speaker 3: Decent did see some discourse online that it could be a.
Speaker 1: Splinker they're. Not so here's here's every thing we. Knew we know because this is he threw it legitimately one time. Today that's it in his outing against The brewers, today.
Speaker 3: So it is sinking action to.
Speaker 1: It he threw it For ball four joked and said that Cal ray might not ever let him throw that pitch again because he threw it for ball four and that he's not willing to share any more details on that pitch. YET i think splinker works a little bit, better just, honestly Because logan's extremely cool and all the pitches he develops are extremely. Cool SO i feel like a splinker works a little bit. Better but thinking off of that as, well he already does have a, Splitter so how does how does it work when you have a splinker and a splitter once? Faster but it's it's the same exact, action it's the same.
Speaker 2: Idea, well has he been Watching Paul schemes On Pitching? Ninja that's my, QUESTION i. Hope so that feels like the type of Thing logan could do where he'd be watching Some Pitching ninja stuff and somebody likes schemes and he's, like, Yeah i'm gonna do. That so he's only thrown it for one. Pitch we'll see if he continues to throw. It but Anytime Logan gilbert adds a new pitch to his Arsenal, AM i gonna be, intrigued, yes because the dude is the ultimate, mastermind always wants to get better and most of the pitches he is coined so far in his career worked, out SO i want to see him keep.
Speaker 1: Going and For, LOGAN i don't even feel like he needs to add another. Pitch he's obviously gonna want to because He's Logan. Gilbert this is what he. Does he, tinkers he, adds he. Develops dude has a complete. Arsenal he has pitches to right, e's he has pitches to. Lefties he can pitch, up he can pitch, down he can pitch off, speed he can pitch breaking, ball he can pitch hard. Stuff he has stuff that rides, left he has stuff that rides. Right like he legitimately does not need another, pitch but he, said, yeah so what le's spring?
Speaker 3: Training why?
Speaker 1: Not and, hey we might not even see the pitch at all during the regular. Season it's like the first year Of George kirby's. Splitter the first year Of George kirby's. SPLITTER i remember we were sitting here the first year of this. Podcast we sat here and talked ABOUT i was, like oh my, God George kirby is a. Splitter George kirby is a. Splitter George kirby as a. Splitter he didn't throw it pretty much at all all. Season now this past season he threw it a lot, More but the first year he.
Speaker 3: Did note that could be one of these.
Speaker 1: Pitches we're really in the experimental phase of spring training where guys are trying to see if stuff works against live, hitters and then they'll go from there to decide whether or not it's worth throwing it in games that actually.
Speaker 3: Count.
Speaker 2: Yeah this was the same year that While George kirby learned the, splitter a bunch of guys learned that, splitter Including Robbie, ray when you told people to take the over on strikeouts and then we had a friend that got really mad because you cost them.
Speaker 1: Money this splitter Caused Robbie ray to Get Tommy John and people will never.
Speaker 2: Know i'm gonna say, no.
Speaker 1: It was probably the fact he's throwing ninety five in his first spring training.
Speaker 3: Outing, well that's probably more, realistic.
Speaker 2: MEANING tj losts people.
Speaker 3: MONEY i. DID i.
Speaker 1: Did, yeah there's a reason we don't do betting segments on here anymore really at.
Speaker 2: All maybe one day we'll see.
Speaker 3: Maybe one, day, yeah maybe one, day let's do a sunscreen. Report dog we LOOK.
Speaker 2: I probably could have done a tad bit. BETTER i didn't do, awful BUT i can tell there's a couple SPOTS i. Miss this is this is always what happens on day. One you get back into the flow putting on, sunscreen there's a spot or two you, miss and then you kind of reset and readjust the next day and tomorrow On, Tuesday i'm gonna know which SPOTS i still have to cover my face with.
Speaker 1: SUNSCREEN i think there's a very important important point, Here number, one think that you're happy about you did burn your ears a little, bit though it's an important. Thing no nose peeling nose is a bad. Thing so we escape that the corners are not the end of the world up. Here you got to watch this on, YouTube by the, way because this is really great. Podcasting when we look up here in the, corner it's a little bit, red but, OVERALL i think it's. GOOD i got this little diamond on my chest of. REDNESS i think that's that's perfect AND i think fitting going into the rest of this, week all, right one thing you're looking forward to tomorrow is what.
Speaker 2: Let's. SEE i, MEAN i don't want to circle back To Cole, young BUT i really hope to See Cole. YOUNG i want to see him get out on the field and him start to do a little more hitting and certainly a little more infield, work and just see how he matches up with a bunch of the other guys in big league. Camp that is my. Hope will he be out, There we're gonna have to wait and find. Out BUT i will tell you the next time we record a, podcast which will that one will be out On. Friday we'll have three more days of spring training to, recap so we'll Have tuesday, Notes we'll Have wednesday, notes we'll Have thursday. Notes i'm sure we'll have a bunch of interviews that will have done by, then so there'll be a bunch of things to. Recap but if you're asking me one, thing, YEAH i hope Call. Young and if you want me to pick one, MORE i would, Say george is supposed to Start. Wednesday logan started? Today who is It? Tuesday is It? Brace is It? Louise all? Right So i'll be interested to See louise's first start of the. Spring, listen it sounds, like all of a, sudden it is not a. Certainty how about? This it is not a. Certainty who's gonna start Opening? Day it is not a. Certainty it's gonna Be. Louise logan got the first start of spring. Training now that doesn't Mean louise couldn't Start Opening, Day But i'll just be interested to see how he looks in his first start of the. Spring he's a guy, that even though he saw a very very good, pitcher can pitch a little bit better than he did in twenty twenty. Four how's he gonna look at his first outing in the? Spring how's this stuff gonna play? Up is he gonna? Hit is this? Like is this command gonna be? Good is he gonna miss? Bats that is a big. One Will Louise castile miss? Bats because he didn't do enough of that last. Year so it'll just be the first start of the. Spring you can't take home any ridiculous notes from, it But i'll just be interested to see him get out.
Speaker 1: THERE i hope they don't judge the opening day starter based off of spring training results more Than i'd say spring training, PROCESS i think is what they're gonna go for. Here aka Like logan got blown up, Today so that's not gonna go into their decision to whether or not to name him opening day. Starter it's it's an interesting. Thing, okay one Thing i'm looking forward, to AND i say. Tomorrow WHAT i meant mostly was Like lewisa the next three days before we record next On thursday. Night, okay one THING i am looking, For, Hmmm i'd stay, First i'd say for our, Guy Logan, evans who's gonna pitch in a. GAME i believe between now and then we. Talked caught up with him. Today great catching up With. Logan shout out to, You, logan that he bounces back and has another a better outing than he had his first time. Out he was mentioning us today they were trying to work on some of those bunt plays that they that he had a play where he fielded the ball in front of home plate and he threw the ball way down the first base line and, said, hey we're trying to work on, that just trying to plant it. Out so it's a little bit easier on the, pitcher a little bit EASi on the first. Baseman so it's good getting to catch up. There SO i hope he has a better second outing for. Us let's, say out of the big, leaguers, hmm big.
Speaker 2: Leaguers while you're, thinking let me make one note on that. Too and Something logan did say to, us this is why you can't always take spring training stats into a fact and can't take him too, seriously is look on, paper was That logan's best outing of all? Time, No, like he obviously gave up a few runs and not everything was, Perfect but he, said you know, what for my first start of the, spring for the THINGS i wanted to, ACCOMPLISH i was actually happy with the way my stuff was playing up and by the WAY i was. Attacking so he, said for the THINGS i wanted to do in my first, outing, LIKE i was actually happy with, it and maybe in spite of the throw down the. Line so that's WHY i don't always take it too seriously when a, guy when a guy doesn't have their best outing in the world in spring, training let's.
Speaker 1: See let's SAY i want to see SOME livett bats in the backfields With Mitch garver AND i want to see him do. Well i'd, say that's WHAT i want to. See there's a lot of THINGS i could pick, out LIKE i want to SEE. Jp i'd love to get to talk To polo and see how he's. Doing we could catch up With, polo see how his knees. Feeling maybe introduce ourselves To Donovan solano and see if he's how talkative he is and what kind of guy he. Is keep an eye of those guys over there at third. Base it's really easy to go pictures AND i think, overall just no injury between now and, then that'll be.
Speaker 3: UH i think that would be really.
Speaker 2: Nice that'd be. Great oh, yeah that is my single favorite part of spring, training even with all the games going on and all the work you get to, see it's getting to catch up with all these. Guys like there's so many of these guys that we love talking to and are so. Interesting that's my favorite. Part that is the STUFF i really look forward to the, most especially because you're in a setting where everybody's laid, back suns, out guys are in a good. Mood you, know it's. Fun spring training is. Fun so all that stuff we can't. Wait we'll have more On friday's. Pod with everything we've been doing at spring, training we think we're going to try to do a couple of sit down interviews this, week which we haven't done. Before we hope that. Happens we'll keep you posted on. That we're working on it right, now so we'll. See but we got a bunch of stuff planning the next few. Days we can't. Wait it's just day one at time of. Recording and, yeah we're having a blast here In peoria so. Far all, Right that just about wraps up this edition of The Marine layer. Podcast you guys know the. Drill if you want to listen to the full form, podcast you can do so wherever you get your audio. Pods make sure to, download make sure to rate and. Review please leave it as a five star. Review keep getting those reviews. Up we want to see. Them keep going up with The apple, reviews The spotify, reviews, Everything go like, comment subscribe on. YouTube if you're On, patreon go check out our brand New. Patreon we're gonna be adding more stuff to it as time goes. On, again we just started. It we've had a crazy busy. Month as soon as this month comes to an, end we're gonna start working on more ways to get you guys implemented and interact with you guys that much. More because that was a huge reason we wanted to start. That so go check that out and then follow us everywhere across social. Media we're posting content every day At Marine Layer. Pod THAT'S. Tj I'm. Lyle as, always we thank you guys for tuning. In we'll talk to you. Soon difficult past its times AS sti