Speaker 1: You can watch the original episode we'll be discussing in every other episode of HBO's Curby Your Enthusiasm, including the new and final season, on Max. You can also watch the video version of the History of Curby Enthusiasm podcast on Max and YouTube, as well.
Speaker 2: Links available in the episode description.
Speaker 1: So here we are in season three, episode five, the terrorist attack.
Speaker 2: You are, Jeff Garland, That I am? Who am I? That's right?
Speaker 1: And we start out and Larry and Cheryl are at the Maitre d stand of a restaurant and browdy for four, so we know that they're meeting another couple. And as they're on their way to the table, they run into the risers Mindy and Paul, and Larry starts telling him he's investing in a restaurant.
Speaker 3: And that's not really his wife.
Speaker 2: No, that is really Paul.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you know what his wife's name is, Paula.
Speaker 4: Yes, she is a doll and gorgeous and I love her and by the way I met her, I was on the last three seasons.
Speaker 3: I'm mad about you.
Speaker 2: Ah, that's true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And Larry's talking to Paul. He's messing in a restaurant, blah blah, blah, and then they leave and Cheryl says, you know you're rude. You didn't say one word to Mindy. You didn't even look in her direction. I said, hello, No, no, you didn't. And Larry's like, I smelled her perfume. Most of you old's a perfume shop we establish And Larry says, you can't leave your house.
Speaker 4: By the way, I want to say when I was I'm mad about you the last season, I said to Paul that I just shot something with Larry this hour and Paul was not dismissive, but he was curious. But he didn't think anything of it. Oh yeah, he goes, I'm trying to do I do Larry as Paul. But Paul's like, what is it. I go, well, it's this improv thing with Larry doing a special Okay, yeah, that sounds real. No, but I'm saying, he's one of the few people I told about it and somebody that I respected, so you know, but Paul's not a guy to dismiss you or not take something now because he's a kind man.
Speaker 1: Well, he was just listening to you, like you accuse me of all the time, not responding in the way that you want.
Speaker 2: Paul didn't respond in the way you want it.
Speaker 3: No, we did. I was okay with it.
Speaker 2: Oh you were okay?
Speaker 4: Yeah, because he had curiosity, but he wasn't effusive. But all I would ask is curiosity. If you're a human being and you don't have a curiosity about people or things, stay the fuck away from me, because that's you know, you go on dates and if the other person male or female.
Speaker 2: Well that's always right. You don't ask any questions. To forget about it.
Speaker 4: But it's easily the thing that shows there's a lack of chemistry or a problem with one of the people when one of the people does not have inherent curiosity.
Speaker 2: Well it's an attractive trait.
Speaker 3: Well, then I might be very attractive to all the young people.
Speaker 2: Are sure you are?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 1: So then the risers get up to leave, and Paul waves and Mindy clearly doesn't.
Speaker 2: Then Cheryl says, it's pointed that she doesn't. I mean she doesn't. It's not like she just doesn't.
Speaker 3: By the way, asked me if.
Speaker 4: I've done this because you're oblivious I've done this to something.
Speaker 2: Yes, but she was not. Ah, say hello to one and not the other.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I was oblivious.
Speaker 1: The Browdies have not come yet, and Cheryl says to Larry, don't pick up the check. And we find out that Stu Browdie runs to the bathroom every time the check comes yep. And then the Browdie show up, which is Susan and Stue Browdie, which is played by Amy Akeino.
Speaker 2: And he wrote his name, Yes I did.
Speaker 3: Oh he's great.
Speaker 4: Yet don Stark on that seventy show if I'm not thinking when we did this episode. By the way, she's a dear friend. I love her and I'm not about to bad mouth her. I'm about to say that she didn't quite understand what we were doing, and she got very paranoid when she heard us talking about her or the scene, like what are you talking about?
Speaker 2: Oh you mean you mean between takes in.
Speaker 4: Between Texas especially, And then the only other person who did that, who you think wouldn't do that is when he was on the show for quite a while, Shelley Berman.
Speaker 2: Well, it was a little paranoid.
Speaker 3: No, no, I know, but I remember Larry.
Speaker 2: Kelly Burman who played Larry's father, Larry.
Speaker 4: Clary's father, but he let it get to him. And there's nothing to get, you know. But Amy also did this and by the way, she snapped at me and we weren't tight like we are now, but she snapped at me and it fucking hurt and I was like, oh boy, yeah, So there you go.
Speaker 1: So they show up there late, there was the valet and he had to park, and we find out that there is an NRDC.
Speaker 4: By the way, I make clear that she was wonderful in the episode and easy to work with. That that was the only thing. All right, look, I love her. She's gonna say, why'd you say that about me? And you know what I would say, Oh, you're listening to the show.
Speaker 2: There you go, Okay, go ahead.
Speaker 1: So we find out that there's an NRDC benefit at the Browdie's house and that the Risers are not invited because there's some the bad blood between the Risers and the Browdies, and that Alanis Morissett is performing in their living room. Is going to perform the song You Ought to Know, and they start discussing who it's about, because nobody knows who is the way huge secret and Lara says, she'll tell me.
Speaker 2: Everybody tells me everything.
Speaker 3: Do you know who it was? Written for I don't You're So Vain would be a secret song?
Speaker 2: Correct.
Speaker 4: Carly Simon does not like to travel, so she fell out a few weeks before.
Speaker 2: I had been Oh Carly Simon was supposed to do? Was written? I think?
Speaker 3: So who else?
Speaker 2: I thought you were talking about? You want to Know? Was written?
Speaker 3: No? No, no, No, You're so vain is a song about who? Is it about?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: And you know there are people who say that a portion of that song is about our dear friend and one of our directors, David Steinberg.
Speaker 2: Really yes, David Steinberg has told me that.
Speaker 3: Oh interesting, who knows?
Speaker 4: Also Nick Jackers she sings background in the song Warren Beatty, they could all and Dave Cooier is the one that I heard about. Alanis Moore set I've never heard.
Speaker 2: Of that, really okay, and it's Canada.
Speaker 3: They're both Canadians.
Speaker 4: But I was hanging out a lot with Morana's then, I mean Alanis Morris set Rick Morana, not on my own, but she was hanging out with a lot of improvisers from Chicago. She'd have parties with us at her house and it was all like comedic people. So I've been spending time with her. She was lovely and I remember when Carly fell out. I said, I've got the person.
Speaker 2: And Larry said, who's that?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: Is she popular? People like her? Like he didn't even know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, So but Larry says, she'll tell him because everybody tells him.
Speaker 2: And then Stu leaves to go to the as he says, go to the little.
Speaker 1: Fat Boys room, and he leaves and the check is put down, and you see Larry's face like, here we go again.
Speaker 2: He went to the And by the way.
Speaker 4: The moment with Amy Cheryl and Larry is so completely awkward because she's not saying he'll be here in a minute, she's literally, you know, she's in.
Speaker 3: On your skill.
Speaker 1: So, by the way, she's got a credit card she could put down and she doesn't. And of course this comes up in a later episode with the Browdies Yes later on in the season, and Larry takes out his credit card and then they are back home and Cheryl's.
Speaker 2: Like, I said, don't pick up the check.
Speaker 1: And Larry's it's the last time, you know, And then Larry's like, what am I going to do about Mindy Reiser. It's weighing on him that he snubbed Mindy Reiser, and she thinks I'm the world's biggest schmuck. And then the doorbell rings and it's Wanda, and Wanda's got to talk to Cheryl.
Speaker 2: Wanda comes in, I've got news.
Speaker 1: My brother's best friend works for the CIA, and it's the highest source possible. There's going to be a terrorist attack in Los Angeles this weekend. Ninety percent sure they're not telling the general public because they don't want panic.
Speaker 4: But also, the thing about Wanda on our show, which is similar to your character, is she has quite the subtlety, a wonderful actress, wonderful a minute, but she only says her pointed remarks when she's pushed because on other things I've seen her, they always want that. I know on our show, yes, I would imagine that too. And on our show it's such a subtle performance with bing bang boom, right, Like when she leaves on this scene, it's like bing bang boom, you know. But even all through this episode, she is so subtle and wonderful.
Speaker 1: And Cheryl brings up that they have the NRDC benefit this weekend. She can't leave, and Larry's like postpone the benefit and let's get out of here, and Wanda says, Larry's right. I didn't think I was ever going to say Larry's right. Yeah, she's gone to Vegas. Now, this did happen to me. Somebody told me on a top secret the blah blah that there was going to be a terrorist attack. It's a thing that actually really happened. And I assume it happened before this, because otherwise I would have just known the episode, you know, But that was a thing that This was two thousand and three. It was two years after nine to eleven, and people were still very much on edge at that time about terrorism. I mean, you know, all of a sudden, it was a whole new world security at the airport, all that stuff. And I remember somebody telling me and don't tell anybody. Of course I told everybody, how A, you're not going to tell people. I know you're gonna say stay here and I'm gonna save myself, right whatever.
Speaker 4: So by the way she walks out, that's when she has pointed remarks towards Cheryl Haling, and.
Speaker 5: What does she say, Look, I did my part, You're my friend. I had to tell you, thank you. I'm on Vegas Okay, okay, you're all.
Speaker 2: Out your mind.
Speaker 5: I'm sitting here trying to help people talking about a Dale benefit.
Speaker 6: Well, coll me when you get back into town.
Speaker 2: Hopefully you'll be.
Speaker 3: Here, because she was mad at them for staying.
Speaker 2: Right right, we'll be right back. Stay tuned, and we're back.
Speaker 1: And then we come to a scene that's been very interesting between Larry and Cheryl.
Speaker 4: And I was there, so I want to tell you about the background of which is interesting too.
Speaker 1: So we'll just do the scene and then we'll discuss that. So Cheryl doesn't want to leave. It's her benefit. She can't leave, and then Larry brings up maybe he'll leave. Why should both of them be dead? Maybe he'll go to Pebble Beach and play golf, and Cheryl's like saying it'd be fine.
Speaker 7: Going on without me. Wow, that would be very difficult person. Sure, hopefully I could at some point get back some semblance.
Speaker 3: Of a life.
Speaker 6: Okay, if you feel good about one of us dying and the other one surviving, and you can live with that for the rest of your life, then you should go golf this weekend.
Speaker 2: I'll think about it. So now tell about what happened in that way.
Speaker 4: Well, first off, that's one of the rare scenes. Why actually, every scene understands Larry's See, Larry speaks to a lot of people, Okay, in this scene, there is no doubt he is completely correct.
Speaker 2: Yeah, why should they both parents say you?
Speaker 4: Well, that's her thing, you know, she says, and everything he's suggesting is well within reason. Why don't I just go play golf while La blows up or whatever?
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: And the fact that she wants to stay I don't think it is out of character, but it shows her passion for the NIDC and it bites her in the ass. But there are two scenes I remember taking a long time to shoot the Jason Alexander one where I said the sun went down because Larry was laughing so hard, and that went maybe it was two hours, and it went three and a half hours, you know, to film this scene.
Speaker 3: They didn't figure it out till six seven takes.
Speaker 1: Now, let me explain to people what happens when we're improvising a scene. Sometimes we find the scene right away, and sometimes it takes a while until we find the scene when we're improvising it because it's not written down, and some scenes take way longer than others for some reason, but.
Speaker 4: Hold none in this league. I'm saying that Jason Alexander the comedy was there, right, and that was a disruption of Larry laughing first.
Speaker 2: But this scene you're saying, it took them a long time to.
Speaker 4: Find, bro, we couldn't figure it out. I was very frustrated watching it. I go, this is not funny, this is not interesting. And I think they did like four or five more times. So we're talking about eleven twelve takes, and then Larry a lot a lot for us, And on the twelfth take, Larry said what he used to say all the time. He doesn't say it anymore. One for fun, One for fun, and that loosens everybody up more because it's just for fun. We've already got it that twelfth take, One for fun. Most of what you see on the screen that is from that specific take.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: But that was such a long and painful way to get there, and I got to be frank. I gave up that the scene would work. But on One for Fun it did. We stuck it and stuck in yep.
Speaker 2: And you know, you never know, I mean that we work.
Speaker 4: I wasn't like let's not do another one. You know, I get bored after three takes as an actor, as a producer, two three takes, we got it, and there's always more. Yeah, by the way, and filmmaking in general, television doesn't matter.
Speaker 3: And photography, I'm a photographer.
Speaker 4: The best shot is always the first take, first shot, and I think after three takes it's I don't know.
Speaker 3: Hold wait a second.
Speaker 2: I know you're going to say about the doll.
Speaker 4: No, but you said we were all in the scene together and we all agreed that we're not going to come up with anything new.
Speaker 3: We've got there.
Speaker 1: Sometimes yes, but sometimes the last take is the best because we've been fooling finding you.
Speaker 4: Take if everybody's loose and they don't give a shit, and the director says, all right, we got it, let's do one more gold always yeah, but I'm saying the first take, maybe two done.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's all.
Speaker 2: It's all, you know, every it depends on the scene.
Speaker 4: Well, by the way, just so everybody knows, if there's two people in a scene, especially Larry and myself or Larry and Susie, we're done so quickly because you add another person a little bit longer, and those dinner scenes that everyone sees on our show.
Speaker 3: They take forever, Forever, forever and so who's uh and.
Speaker 2: We're eating fruit?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so all right.
Speaker 1: Then Larry's driving and he sees Palmetto, which is Mindy's perfume store, and he's got to stop.
Speaker 2: Mind it's the.
Speaker 3: Third street between Losienna guys and is it because Palmetto was also filmed it on third okay?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And he goes into the store and Mindy immediately says, Paul's not here. Mindy, who is played by Linda Linda Bates.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and she's great.
Speaker 1: Linda is amazing and Linda recently died and we're very we miss her tremendously.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: She's a great person.
Speaker 2: Great, wonderful woman.
Speaker 1: And she was married to Bob Whitey, who has directed several episodes.
Speaker 2: I don't know if he directed this one. I think he did it, did direct this one.
Speaker 1: And Mindy says, Paul not here, and Larry says, I came to see you. There's something I have to tell you, And like we know immediately he's going to tell her about the terrorist attack to try to ingratiate himself with her.
Speaker 4: By the way, having watched it, again. I didn't think that. I thought that he was just going to say I'm sorry. But as things progressed a little.
Speaker 3: He switched gears and that he thought it was needed, yeah, because she was very cold. She was very cold, so he went to a tend. He told her this correct, and then at first she didn't believe him, and then she really believed.
Speaker 1: Him, right, And he's like, your life is in danger. You need to get out of here. She's like, I got to call my sister and my mother. And then she says, my mother's in Orange County and he tells her you can't call, but he's in Orange County. Nothing's going to happen. It's okay to tell her mother. And they're going to go to the desert. And she says where are you and Cheryl going? And Larry says, we can't go, and then she brings up oh, because of the browdie event that they were not invited to, right, And then Larry says, well, Cheryl wanted to leave, but I thought it was best that we stay for the ben.
Speaker 4: He throws her under the bus, which was completely unnecessary. Again, it's never enough, you know, Although that doesn't come back to haunt him, but nonetheless.
Speaker 1: And then Mindy says to him, why did you tell me? And then he goes into a hold long and dance how close he feels.
Speaker 2: To her, and then she's touched by it all yes, and.
Speaker 8: She says, I have really misjudged you. I can't thank you enough. You are an amazing person. You are a wonderful human being, and I just can't thank you.
Speaker 2: I understand. I listen.
Speaker 8: I have some samples here. I want you to take these. Give them to Cheryl. Okay, with my love. There you go, there, you like these?
Speaker 3: Nothing for men.
Speaker 1: Larry says he apologized for the other night, and then he says that he apologizes every day.
Speaker 2: Who says I'm sorry more than me.
Speaker 1: And then Paul calls and Larry says he's ninety percent sure, and Cheryl says, what was that all about? Ninety percent? He doesn't want Cheryl to know that he told Mindy because Wanda asked them not to tell anybody, so there was ninety percent that the chances of idever do that to Mindy again, which is such a bullshit cover. And then Larry's like, let's get out of here, and Cheryl's we're staying right here.
Speaker 4: Well, what did Larry say about I invented it? Because he loves saying stuff like that. What was that about how I invented blankety blank? Yeah, because he's always taking No one says it more than me I invented.
Speaker 3: He actually brings a little of Richard Lewis to himself.
Speaker 2: Yes, I forgot what that was. Maybe it was the apology.
Speaker 3: I don't know anyhing about it.
Speaker 1: And then we cut to the Browdies house and they drive up and there's no cars in the driveway and they're like, what's going on? And Stu answers the door and there's no one there. Where is everybody? And Stu tells them that no one's there because of the attack and that Alanas Marrist canceled and that the word spread and apparently it started with Mindy Riiser, right, and.
Speaker 3: Then he's kind of off the hook.
Speaker 2: And guess who told Mindy?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was Amy A Kino's character. She said, we thought, oh, he's off the hook.
Speaker 3: No he is not, No, he is not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And so they think that Mindy Riiser was doing it to betray them, and Stew and Amy say Mindy's betrayed us over and over again, and thanks for telling us.
Speaker 2: Now they're all upset that he told Mindy and not them.
Speaker 4: By the way, Larry's has a great line. By the way in this, I'm sorry there wasn't an.
Speaker 1: Attack, yes, And he says, at least they pick up a check every now and then.
Speaker 2: What the hell do I know what you do every time the check?
Speaker 3: How you went off to the bathroom.
Speaker 2: The only thing I see that, honey, you know about that bathroom trick.
Speaker 3: Side, that bathroom trick, bedroom trick. I got a problem.
Speaker 7: Problem, you got a problem paying money.
Speaker 1: And then Cheryl is mad that he told Mindy Riiser, and Larry says he was trying to get on her good side. And Cheryl says, look, we're just gonna have to have the reschedule the benefit fit and have it at our house at home, and they have to invite the Brownies and no, no, invite the risers.
Speaker 2: Freaking he can't be stew says, freaking for everything.
Speaker 1: He won't say fuck, which is always interesting thing to me, how people like they'll say freakin' or freaking as though the intent is not the same. What's the difference if you actually say the word fuck as opposed to freak.
Speaker 3: Well, freaking's more palatable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but why the intent is the same if you say I freaking hate you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess all right, I'm gonna be you.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, good. And then Larry's brushing his teeth and gargling as usual. There's so many scenes of Larry brushing his teeth.
Speaker 3: You don't goggle much to you. It's fun. Just think about it.
Speaker 2: Well, you should think about how much money you just lost. The NRGC n A S t l E.
Speaker 7: S Niceley's makes Love Very bass s.
Speaker 4: Which came out of Left and I can say video village, and of course I explode and I said to him, you got to use that. You got to use that because sorry, the.
Speaker 1: Way you did it was just And that's something that a lot of our younger listeners don't know.
Speaker 2: That's something we can commercial.
Speaker 6: N E. S T l E.
Speaker 1: S Nesley's makes the very Best Chalk Left.
Speaker 2: And those things.
Speaker 1: From our childhood are so embedded in our heads, those jingles.
Speaker 4: By the way, here, I'm going to sound like an old person. We lived through an era where commercials were good, not flashy, not all about computers, and beer was popular back then. For sure, but cell phones. You watch a football game, every other commercials a cell phone, call, insurance, insurance, none of them are memorable. So you and I could do it. I can't believe. I ate the whole thing, like where's the beef? Like there were so many of these that you were so mesmerized by and thought we were musing.
Speaker 1: And also another thing is all we had was network tele vision with commercials.
Speaker 2: Now there's all these options without.
Speaker 3: Commercials started same commercials.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, but I'm just saying now today.
Speaker 4: Yes, for sure, but it's been a number of years where commercials the halftime commercials. This year there was one I really liked. I cannot remember one. Last year it was Larry David's commercial, which was hilarious. And I heard there's a longer version.
Speaker 2: On the longer version, I guess gotta be funny.
Speaker 3: But the point is that years ago the halftime.
Speaker 2: Those commercials commercial.
Speaker 4: Right now, they're going on fumes from their past, and really, I'm an old man, I don't buy it.
Speaker 3: So halftime, I go to Sweden.
Speaker 2: That's a quick trip.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right.
Speaker 1: Ahead, Okay, So next we cut to Larry in his office. He's going into his office is in the hallway and Chuck the Janitor.
Speaker 4: By the way, Chuck the Janitor is a character that we did not do enough with.
Speaker 9: You never told me there was supposed to be a terrorist attack, and you knew about it.
Speaker 3: How come you never told me.
Speaker 7: I wasn't allowed to tell anyon.
Speaker 9: You told somebody. I mean, I found out, so you could have told me something I could There was.
Speaker 3: Too many people.
Speaker 2: I just I wasn't supposed to.
Speaker 9: My kids could have been wiped out. You know, they go to school.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm sorry, but it's okay. Nothing happened.
Speaker 9: I know, but I mean something could have happened. I know, we could have been killed. You know, you could have just just give me a little hint, you know, like saying you don't take your kids out of the school or something like that.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you next.
Speaker 9: Thing that I could have said something.
Speaker 4: But the way he talked and what he said he said. By the way, this guy, the way he plays, I don't know if that's who he is in real life. I don't recall that. But everything he says, even if he's not pleading, he sounds like he's pleading. Everything that he says.
Speaker 2: Is why didn't you tell me, Larry, could.
Speaker 3: Happen you know my children? I could have gotten my children out of school.
Speaker 1: Yes, they could have got me to And he's very upset. And then Antoinette, his assistant, very upset. He didn't tell her. You know, now I have to have everyone mad at me, and Wanda confronts him.
Speaker 4: Well, says, excuse me for yawning. Wnda came here to see you. She's in the bathroom, and Larry starts running right away.
Speaker 3: He's leaving.
Speaker 2: We never see Wanda, do we?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I think we do. I recall, Yes, she's in the frame.
Speaker 2: Wanda is here, she's in the restroom. She'll be in a minute, and she'd like to speak with you.
Speaker 4: Larry.
Speaker 2: Hey, big mouth, What did I tell you? Larry?
Speaker 3: Larry has to stop, and we know it's not.
Speaker 4: Going to be good, so we cut away because I think we filmed something, and just for the sake of time, because everything dies if it's not necessary.
Speaker 2: Right, okay, and not everything is necessary?
Speaker 4: Yes, wouldn't that be implied on basically what I just said. Yeah, so let's move on.
Speaker 2: Okay, we'll be right back.
Speaker 1: Stay tuned, and we're back, okay, And then we cut to Larry is at Mindy's store buying perfume.
Speaker 3: For ryl an expensive bottle and a.
Speaker 1: Very expensive bottle, and it's the perfume that Wanda wears that she had wanted, and Mindy starts complaining about how inconvenience they were. They had to stay at the Super eight motel. The four seasons wasn't available.
Speaker 4: Let's stop right there for a second. This is what I'm talking about in terms of a liberal rich mindset. Oh yes, they should have been grateful there was a room at the Super ri.
Speaker 2: That's what Larry says.
Speaker 3: Yeah, later on though, but initially.
Speaker 2: He says, I tried to save your life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, don't you. But by the way, this attitude, it's bratty. It's West side attitude.
Speaker 4: Yeah, west side of LA I'd say west of Los Sienaga. But the point being is I hear people say shit like this all the time.
Speaker 2: How inconvenient.
Speaker 4: Also those people, well I avoid. And by the way, if Larry had a party on the west side, who's not attending me? I don't like hanging over there because this attitude pervades over there. Now in terms of their social things. I agree with him, but I don't like the way they do it. I just hate all of that shit. I'm a man of the people. I'm a blue collar man of the people. I fucking hate that and that entitlement.
Speaker 2: The elitist elitism lead shut the fuck up.
Speaker 1: So then Mindy asks how was the NRDC thing, and Larry says, no one showed up. Someone told everyone, and Mindy denies it was her, And then Larry sees Marty short out the window and just stops in the middle of his interaction with Mindy buying the perfume and goes to run out to see Marty and Mindy's calling after him. Mindy's calling after him, and they start to talk about Primetime Click, which is one of my favorites, by the way, based on Skippy Low.
Speaker 2: If you ever watch nobody on public accents on public access to watch all the time. By the way, let's tell the people about was.
Speaker 4: This little guy who both an elfin looking guy, which actually Jimminy Glick. He really took basically what that is His performance is just what's his name Low, Skippy Low with Skip E. But it's almost like someone put an air plug into Skippy Low and he blew up because he's Skippy Low at four hundred pound.
Speaker 2: And what Skippy Low used to do. He would have all these old B stars had.
Speaker 4: Legit stars too, but a lot of them were huge stars in their days.
Speaker 1: In their day, you know, but old Hollywood stars, and he would just be fascinated by all of them. Tell me when you made Sahara, tell me about that.
Speaker 2: You know, he was just fascinating and I loved that.
Speaker 4: It was what we call good eating. Here's the thing I want to say Larry and Martin. I don't know why Marty was on the show.
Speaker 1: Well, I think he needed to have a distraction to run to piss off mine.
Speaker 4: That might have been you know, the part was originally written for Marty. Okay, yeah, and it didn't work out.
Speaker 2: What do you mean?
Speaker 4: But Paul Reiser was immediately thought of an ass. It wasn't like, all right, we'll settle for Paul Reiser. So I thought that's why was it? But now I'm saying that the distraction works for Mindy to get mad at him. Correct, But what the context was of their scene? There was nothing.
Speaker 3: Written, nothing written, and so they did a bunch.
Speaker 4: Of different stuff that was too funny because Larry was making a serious attempt, not a bullshit attempt at doing Jimminy glick.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, and what he was doing was you could.
Speaker 1: Mary says, now you've had a stroke, and then Marty says, you're doing that flat New York thing.
Speaker 3: By the way, he's doing Larry.
Speaker 2: Perfectly, perfectly. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So they have this whole going back and forth at the very hard, very low.
Speaker 2: To watch.
Speaker 4: As I've talked about before on the show, I get to sometimes act with, but spend a lot of time with people who are heroes to me. Marty Short, I grew up loving Second City Television SCTV, and I thought he was brilliant the one year of Sarahnette Live.
Speaker 3: Brilliant. Yeah, that dude is just.
Speaker 4: A big bowl of brilliant. And there having conversations with him and he's saying, well, Jeff, I think, I go you're calling me Jeff Martin Short is acknowledged, like, it doesn't mean I didn't have confidence in myself. But I'm in awe to this day if I'm around anybody that was a hero to me or who I respect, and I'm in awe and I never forget that. You know, I haven't gone through the things where all right, whatever, No, there are certain people with all right, well, yes, you know who those are.
Speaker 1: So Larry goes back and there's a closed sign, goes back into mind. He's store Palmetto and there's a closed sign on the door. Then he's back at their house and there's a rehearsal. Alana's is there and a guitar player, and we see Stu on the phone, driving like a maniac. They invited the Risers and not us. He's clearly talking to his wife.
Speaker 3: Before this around in a caddy. Okay, he has new caddy.
Speaker 4: Well, then he mentioned at dinner, is it before or after this where Larry's telling her that the house has great acous.
Speaker 2: It's then it's then he's telling here and.
Speaker 4: Larry has, like I said, the guy for not being religious loves throwing out the Jewish references Wherery he says, the.
Speaker 7: Acoustics are great in this house and you would know because well, we often have Friday night services here, which is just awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then we see Stu and his caddy intercut with Larry saying you're going to do your ought to know and they're talking about there's a lot of discussion about that song and Larry says to her, if you ever want to unburden yourself, you should tell me, and Alana says.
Speaker 2: You know what be good to unburden myself?
Speaker 4: Hold on, though he pretends to be someone she can trust. Yes, nice, the real Larry David. If you tell him something, it's an a vault. He would never repeat anything personal that you tell him. He's one of my most You are too trusted confidants. You know what I mean. I can say things to Larry and he it is gone. I know it'll never But on the show, the character, the character is when.
Speaker 2: Will he repeat exactly?
Speaker 1: Okay, So she decides to unburden herself and she whispers it to him.
Speaker 2: We don't hear, and then she leaves and we hear Car screeching.
Speaker 4: Hold on, hold on, hold on. When she tells him, he gives a oh, that's who it is. Look like it's really interesting, Like I hadn't thought of that.
Speaker 1: I just thought that was important, And then we hear car screeching.
Speaker 7: Jesus Caesus, she didn't even freaking look, you come flying down there one thousand miles an hour on the.
Speaker 2: Left side hour. Okay, yes, I'm okay, my neck hurts. This is a Cadillac sabotage the event.
Speaker 3: By the way, thanks for inviting.
Speaker 2: Us, right you, right you? And then we cut to the event and no, but.
Speaker 4: Hold on, hold on, hold on, we're only seeing the audience. We've not seen Alana. Now I forgot what the reveal is correct, and so I'm saying, why are there.
Speaker 2: So but they're quiet, and she's also her voice is off.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, she did great with that.
Speaker 2: And then we cut to we see that she's in a neck brace.
Speaker 4: Yes, which is hysterical when you see the neck brace, because I was really confused as I'm watching it. I go, that's not Elanas's voice that I know. She sounds terrible. She's got the thing, but everyone's face.
Speaker 3: So and I go, why is everyone staring at her life? This is horrible?
Speaker 4: And then the reveal, which I even forget because I haven't seen this show.
Speaker 2: Some of them I've seen and some not. This one I had not seen.
Speaker 1: And then we see Larry nod to Mindy and Mindy makes a face like she's mad at him.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 1: He says, I fix it, and then I fuck it up, you know, which is what he does over and over and over again.
Speaker 2: And he never learns a lesson, because that's what comedy is.
Speaker 4: And then she starts singing, you ought to know my request, Larry's.
Speaker 1: Request yet, And then you see Larry look at Mindy and you know what he's thinking, right.
Speaker 4: See, I don't know till the moment he thinks it. You can see the moment on Larry's Yes, this is great acting, but.
Speaker 3: It doesn't start that way now.
Speaker 2: But but like I said, when he.
Speaker 4: First came in the shop, he was going to say I'm sorry, but he knows this because he's written it. But he plays it perfectly the transition. Did the transition so perfectly? And then we know and he ambles across the room and.
Speaker 1: Then he whispers to Mindy and we hear him say I know this song is about.
Speaker 4: Right, and you see her going oh, and he tells, and then the music because you know it's not.
Speaker 2: Going to end well, it's not going to end well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but the episode ended well.
Speaker 2: Not for Allanis, but for everybody else.
Speaker 4: No, but I'm saying so much of television and movies I can watch for ten minutes and know that the people who made this or the studio who made this is not respecting my intelligence because they always play it out our show, which I'm very proud of. We respect the audience. I think we didn't need to see Alanis getting We never shot it, no getting mad, nothing. This was enough that the audience. I knew what was happening and going to happen. But it's about respecting your audience, which I'm proud that we do.
Speaker 1: I agree, And I want to say that Linda Bates played Mindy and Shelley to say, is the actor who plays Chuck the janitor?
Speaker 3: Oh, Shelley just say yeah he.
Speaker 4: I mean, I really think the most underused person in the history of our show in terms of having a scene, because everything.
Speaker 2: He's used past this season is he.
Speaker 4: I don't think so, maybe maybe not. I don't recall, but I know he filmed about four of.
Speaker 2: Those yeah, and they were always going great.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So thank you, Shelly to say, and thank you Jeff, and thank you audience, and we'll be back next time.
Speaker 3: Thanks Susie for really putting up with me. All right, bye, everybody, Thank you.
Speaker 1: The History of Current Enthusiasm is a production of iHeart Radio.
Speaker 2: For more podcasts from my art Radio
Speaker 1: Visit the iHeart Radio app, podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.