Speaker 1: All right, This would is for the baby conspiracy realist in the crowd. Welcome to planet Earth. Hope it still has that new car smell. Hope you're at a honeymoon period. Sorry about all the terrible stuff that happened before you were bored, but we hope you like baby food.
Speaker 2: Oh man, you know it's there's certain flavors of baby food that I think are yummy even to grown kidding. I just always liked the problem, you know, when there was like a kind of a porridge kind of thing. I enjoyed even that when I was a kid.
Speaker 1: Gogurt is baby food marketed to adults.
Speaker 2: Gogurt slaps and things like cream of wheat. But you know, we've talked often on the pod about a time before you know, very rigorous standards regarding packaging and then some of the you know, aspirin poisoning, you know, epidemics and various instances of product tampering. Who is more vulnerable in that regard than you know, the humans, the tiny humans that can see baby.
Speaker 3: Food and the adult parents that are attempting to get whatever the healthiest thing is they can afford for their child, right, And those are two different things the thing they can afford and the healthiest thing, and you try and find the medium the median in there somewhere. Guys. There, this is twenty twenty one when we talked about this. I'm looking at a CBS News article from March of this year, twenty twenty six, saying some baby formula brands contain lead, arsenic, and other heavy metals according to consumer reports. It's not like this is something that's gone away that we covered back then, you.
Speaker 1: Know, yeah, because we found that numerous baby food products, especially in the United States, contain ingredients that are not only bad for the kiddos, but are things that you will not see on the label, stuff like mercury, lead, arsenic, et cetera, et cetera at all. So in twenty twenty one, we asked how long has this been occurring, what did the manufactures know exactly, and when did they learn that? Is there a conspiracy afoot?
Speaker 2: Yeah, guys, I know I led with this idea of tampering with baby food. We're talking about stuff not even requiring tampering. We're talking about stuff that ends up in there unbeknownst to the consumer from the companies themselves, who are supposed to be you know, legitimate and looking after their end consumer, which would be in this case, babies. But there have been examples of folks purposefully contaminating baby food as well.
Speaker 1: But that's not exactly the throw of this episode.
Speaker 3: Do you guys remember if this one covers baby formula as well or this is just like the jar baby food kind of stuff. I just can't remember if we because I know, baby formula is a whole other bag of badgers. Hopefully we talked about a little bit in this one, but remember when we looked back at that, guys, I can't remember we've done a full episode.
Speaker 1: Oh, baby formula.
Speaker 2: It has always been a bit controversial, I mean there, you know. I mean, obviously a lot of mothers, new mothers would prefer to be able to breast but because there are sometimes extenuating circumstances that make that difficult or impossible, I know that typically formula is considered, you know, the second choice, and there are reasons for that, not necessarily contamination, but even just how it can affect the health of a growing child versus breastfeeding.
Speaker 1: And we do indeed talk about infant formula in this episode, and as as we had pointed out here, folks, there is a hard and disturbing argument that the situation hasn't changed or hasn't improved that much over these past five years.
Speaker 3: Well and look up Abbott Labs. That's happening right now with bacterial contamination in baby formula. It's crazy.
Speaker 1: And let's roll the tape.
Speaker 4: From UFOs to psychic powers and government conspiracies. History is riddled with unexplained events. You can turn back now or learn the stuff they don't want you to know. A production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 3: Hello, welcome back to the show. My name is Matt.
Speaker 1: Our compatriot Noel is on adventures, but will be returning. They called me Ben. We're joined as always with our super producer. All mission control decands, most importantly, you are you, You are here, and that makes this stuff they don't want you to know. Now, Matt, I don't.
Speaker 4: Often say this.
Speaker 1: Because I don't want to be alarmist, but today's episode is something that everyone needs to pay close attention to. This is an ongoing situation. This is a serious situation, and it's one, frankly, that we could use your help with. We meaning not just Matt and Paul and myself but everyone, especially parents with young children. Let's start with something wholesome. You will be glad we did, I can assure you so, Matt, you remember the Gerber Baby.
Speaker 3: I do remember the Gerber Baby. I've recently seen the Gerber baby as of several years ago, when I was taking their products and putting them into my son.
Speaker 1: Yes. Yeah, the Gerber Baby is probably one of the most famous babies in modern history, and like the Marlborough Man of old, the Gerber Baby is actually several different babies since nineteen twenty eight or so, the companies used this adorable face of this tyke to sell their products to parents around the US and the world. The interesting fact, for a long time, the identity of the actual baby was a secret until the late seventies, but as the years went on, the company began holding these wildly popular contests to choose the next Gerber Baby. So there are probably people in the crowd today who were contestants in that, you know, without their consent, of course, was their parents or people who have said, hey, my baby's cute. Maybe my baby is Gerber Baby cute. In some ways, it's like this American tradition now, and it's probably going to stand the test of time, But not for the reason you might think it's going to stand the test of time, because nowadays Gerber is a subsidiary of another much much larger company.
Speaker 3: Yeah, one that we've talked about before. For us, it was in the context of water, which they're very much known for, and there's also a lot of water in Gerber products, But that doesn't mean that why we're talking about them. The company you'll remember is Nestley, known.
Speaker 1: For their chocolate, the activities they engage in to get that chocolate from a bean state to your local grocery store. Known of course for bottled water, and their extensive work in that regard. We've covered these, as Matt said in previous episodes, but did you know, conspiracy realists that Nesley is also this country's largest purveyor of babyfood, just the umbrella term baby food. That's where our story begins. It's a story that we have all been characters in. Whether our part in the story started when we were four to six months of age, when babies typically begin eating solid food, or whether our story starts later in life when we were parents, babysitters, elder siblings, or guardians. This industry at some point in some way affects every single person on the planet. So let's talk about it. Let's dive in. Here are the facts.
Speaker 3: Baby food, Yeah, baby food. A lot of times the first food is milk from your mother. If you're a mammal, that's generally how the story goes. But for a myriad of reasons, that's not always in the cards for everyone. So there are things like baby products, baby formula, baby food, and like Ben said, around four to six months, that food starts to change. And my goodness, we were all babies and we all need food, and it is a difficult thing to make baby food for your own child on a daily, weekly, monthly basis. So that and that means there's a lot of baby food, and it means that it's a large market essentially, lots of people trying to buy different baby food, which means it's a huge competitive industry, lots of companies trying to buy for that market share. And retail sales in the baby food segment were about seventy one point four billion US dollars in twenty eighteen. Wow, And it's expected that in three years that number seventy one point four billion dollars will jump to ninety eight point nine billion dollars, and that jump is a whole bunch of reasons, everything from inflation to the number of people actually eating the baby food. There's a bunch of stuff that goes into that projection. But it is going to grow, and.
Speaker 1: We're getting some of these from STATISTICA. So those numbers you just heard are us. But this projection, this projection has a lot of different factors that can come into play. I love that you pointed that out, Matt. We're not just talking about projected berths. We're also talking about parts of the world where people have rising income. So people who are traditionally having to make baby food at home can maybe now spend a little bit more of that extra income at the grocery store buying these products in In twenty nineteen, China officially became the largest single market for baby food. India comes in second place. The US ranks sixth one. Incredibly depressing US baby food fact I found because as you know, I'm not conventionally reading about baby food. Baby food, dude, it is one of the most frequently shoplifted items in the entirety of the US.
Speaker 2: That is a.
Speaker 1: Statement that is true and has an anthology of heartbreaking stories behind it. You know, it reminds me of that old short story that's so often attributed unprovably to Hemingway for sale baby shoes never worn.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, anyway, you got it right, And it's not always shoplifting. Many times it's oh wow, this kid grew a lot faster than we expected. My son went, I think he had. He's had two pairs of shoes now that we bought for him. He tried them on, wore them for about a week, and then it was over and he couldn't wear them anymore. And that's just how it goes. But yeah, you're right. There are a lot of reasons why, through circumstance, you may have to turn to getting food for your baby, or you know something that you need for your baby and you just can't afford it. It's terrible.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Necessity is one of the greatest motivators for the breaking of social norms, right or the breaking of laws. So let's look at the players in the baby food industry right now. If you look at baby food in general, and you include infant formula, which can replace the mother's milk that you have mentioned Matt. You'll see that this market is largely dominated by three outfits. Nessley, a group called Breckett Benkiser also known as Mead Johnson, and another one that I wasn't too familiar with. I don't know if you had heard of the Matt Dnone, Danone.
Speaker 3: No, I know Danon, I don't know da n n E. Not sure about them. But yeah, together those three firms control forty five percent of the global market share when it comes to this stuff. That's that's a lot of control for three companies.
Speaker 1: Oh also fact check fact check Live, which we usually don't have to do. It's a French company. It's pronounced oh so so sorry about that for anybody who is going to hear the conspiracy we're unraveling, and their primary objection would be the mispronunciation. There if that's what we got in front of that, Yeah, think about that. They control almost half of the global market share. There are other players in the game, of course, but these are the titans of this industry. Ingredients regulations, all right, let's say it. Baby food I just always assumed was not considered particularly appetizing to many adults or many kids for that matter. I was somewhat incorrect in that assumption. I found that there there's a a whole wealth of literature of recipes that use baby food as ingredients for adults, and there's some adults.
Speaker 2: Like baby food.
Speaker 1: Either way, it's not going to hurt you if you eat it as an adult. It does play this vital role in childhood development. Like you were saying, Matt, and I remember you know, when your son was even younger, you were like, this kid is growing so fast. I'm like, oh, that's wholesome and heartwarm, mean, and you're like, no, dude, I have to buy clothes and stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like right right now, he's out of clothes essentially because he's outgrown them over the past couple of months. And my goodness it is. It's not cheap, you guys. Thank goodness for places. Oh I'm in a blank on the name.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: Kid to kid I think is what it's called. Places like that where it's hand me down clothes that because all these parents, everyone, you are probably in the same situation out there where you just you need to get rid of these clothes. You need to get new clothes. You can trade them. Kid to kid not sponsored by them, but they're great. It is so true, and this baby food is highly important, as you said, for the for the nutrition of these children. And I'm gonna have to point out some of the newer baby foods, at least newer to me since I become a parent, are actually pretty good. It's essentially like a fruit and vegetable smoothie, but it's more of a puree than a you know, a juice or something. And it's actually pretty tasty because it's just you know, you're getting actual strawberries in there. It's not so bad. At least it doesn't taste immediately so bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there we go. I mean, kids, human kids grow at a break deck and need a steady supply of nutritious food. This is not a hot take. The multiple a multitude of studies show that a lack of proper nutrition, even in one specific area or another, can have these damaging permanent effects on people throughout the rest of their lives. Malnutrition is a great example, like if you look at certain generations of people born in South Korea and people born in the DPRK, you'll notice that there is an observable, statistically consistent difference in height because residents of the DPRK the vast majority for a time where lavery under food and security. So everybody knows this is true. Everybody knows. This is not the part that's a hot take. These are just the facts, folks. In the US, there's an outfit called the Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition. They're responsible for the regulation of infant formula, specifically amit, a number of other things. So we have people with eyes on this, and even the most extreme opponents of big government in the audience, even the most extreme of libertarians can see the value inherent in having some sort of authority keeping eye on food manufacturers here. So this should be the opposite of a hot button or controversial issue.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, of course, why would there be any problems here? I mean, right, there is a problem, and it's a problem that's been around for a while, and we're going to tell you exactly what it is and how bad it is. Right after a word from our sponsor.
Speaker 4: Here's where it gets crazy.
Speaker 1: So contamination baby food.
Speaker 4: It's a real thing.
Speaker 1: It's not some alarmist opinion whatever. There was a landmark congressional study just released earlier this month. As Matt and I record this on February fourth, twenty twenty one, Congress found that despite the existence of some regulations, literal tons and tons and tons of baby food products are contaminated such that you probably want to think twice before you give them to your children. This wasn't an isolated incident, folks. This was not like Company A, some factory for Company A had a bad day, or got some crap carrots and used them anyway, or some apple cherry puree. I don't even know if that's a thing, Matt. But instead this study, they found that a wealth of baby food products are contaminated with something called toxic heavy metals inorganic arsenic, lead, cadmium, and mercury in particular.
Speaker 3: And these aren't the only toxic heavy metals that historically have been found in foods, especially in baby foods, but these four are the ones that are focused on in this congressional study, and the four metals they're bad, you guys. All four are considered by the WHO to be the top in the top ten chemicals of concern when it comes to children, infants, and younger younger children. All of them have been linked to things like cancer, chronic diseases. Of all sorts, neurotoxic effects, learning disabilities, all kinds of things and their detrimental effects are way worse for developing brains, for young brains as compared to adults, and you know, grown grown folk such as us. It's I am again in this episode. We're going to make a little bit light of some of this in order to get through it. But this is very, very serious, and we're gonna take it seriously.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean consider, I know, as soon as a lot of us heard that the L word, as soon as a lot of us heard led and babyfood, were thinking of the longitudinal studies linking crime to early lead exposure right often through pipes, I mean, water systems and so on. But yeah, it gets worse, It gets much much worse. According to Representative Rajah Krishna Morti, who is the chairman of the Subcommittee on Economic and Consumer Policy, the congressional investigation that the subcommittee conducted quote revealed that manufacturers knowingly sell, not sold knowingly sell tainted baby food to unsuspecting parents in spite of internal company test results showing high levels of these toxic metals without any warning labels right, which from a pure profit motive makes sense. You're a parent, you're going to you have to buy some kind of baby food. You pick up two items next to each other on the shelf. You'll flip them around, look at the ingredients, and one of them has a warning that says may contain lead. Which one are you going to go for?
Speaker 3: You know, yeah, or you know may contain lead, arsenic, cadmium, and other terrible things like mercury. Yeah, you're not gonna buy that. And there we're gonna we're gonna break this stuff down even further in their reasons why there are no labels on there, and there are also reasons why that the testing that is done by these companies is flawed. Uh, But for now, what it does mean is that the manufacturers of a lot of these baby foods were aware that these substances were in their products, and they still let let them get purchased, and they still manufactured them, and they just kept going because that they knew that there were potential dangers. And it doesn't mean that these at least right now. If you're a parent listening to this and you probably just fed your child something from beech Nut or Gerber or whoever it was, it doesn't mean your baby is immediately in peril because of this. It doesn't mean your child is at risk right now, in this moment because you've fed them one thing of baby food. But it does mean feeding them over time could be a real risk. And the companies that sold it to you knew.
Speaker 1: Nikes and kept doing it, not just in the US, but around the world. They're explicitly aware of the potential dangers here. So according to a guy named doctor Leonardo Tressande, who is a professor of pediatrics at the NYU Grossman School of Medicine also the director of the Center for the Investigation of Environmental Hazards over at NYU. According to this doctor, critics have been raising concerns about the possibility of this contamination for years. This is not breaking news to the public. I mean it definitely wasn't breaking news to the companies. In twenty seventeen, there was a nonprofit organization still around called Clean Label Project, and they release findings from a study they had commissioned that showed the same thing we're talking about today. I think they focused specifically on arsenic lead and mercury and their findings and they found these again in the leading brand, brand name products for infant formula and baby food. And then there was another study that came out just last year. Wait, nope, two years ago, now twenty twenty one. This came out in twenty nineteen.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, study from Healthy Babies Bright Futures came out in October of twenty nineteen. They took it a step further from the twenty seventeen study. They looked at one hundred and sixty eight baby foods. They were looking for the same stuff Arsenic led Mercury Academium, and they found some terrible things. And right now, if you go online and search I think how I found it was toxic baby food twenty nineteen, that's a good way to find it. Or just look up that organization, Healthy Baby's Bright Futures, you can find what we're about to tell you. They found ninety five percent of all of these foods that they tested contained at least one of the heavy metals, and one in four of the baby foods contained all four. So a quarter of that one hundred and sixty eight different types of baby food contained all four heavy metals.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and amid these metals, lead was the worst offender. So we know a lot about how lead can affect developing human minds. Ninety four percent of the baby foods tested contained some degree of lead. Cadmium, and arsenic followed. They were in about three quarters around three quarters of all the baby food tested. And you always thinking that maybe there's a way for manufacturers to spin things that contain I don't think you could get away with this with lead, too many people know about it.
Speaker 3: But what if you.
Speaker 1: Change the label to now with ten percent more cadmium. Cadmium sounds just enough like calcium that people would be fooled.
Speaker 3: If you used a selective font, you can probably get away with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, make it papylous, make it something classy. Right, So, mercury was the least common of these. Mercury was in less than a little less than one third of the food tested, so comparatively, I guess that's not so bad.
Speaker 3: This is dark.
Speaker 1: But you can find like one other thing they found that is useful for any parent listening today is that some foods were more likely to have this stuff. And we'll also explain why later in today's episode.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, we'll talk about rice in particular, which is something that tends to have more arsenic, so rice based cereals and snacks were particularly high in this stuff. In juices, dude, there have been so many studies over the years about juices, and it's for the same things we're going to talk about today, the same processes that these heavy metals get into these products. We're going to tell you about that. But juices, Good lord, Cranberry juice, you guys, was my absolute all time favorite thing for so many years, and now I'm just thinking twice. I feel like my IQ has been reduced several points, at least according to some of the studies, because of the amount of cranberry juice I have taken into my body.
Speaker 1: Well wait, wait, doctors recommend cranberry juice for people with kidney problems.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, and guess where heavy metals go your kidneys. I'm just choking. Oh god, I'm just joking. I'm kind of joking about that part. But I really did drink a lot of cranberry juice. Another thing, are like tubers, especially sweet potatoes, things that grow in the ground, root vegetables, carras, et cetera. They can be especially dangerous as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which has got to be a surprise for a lot of us, because rice snacks are often sold as a healthy alternative right to various things. And of course they're all over I almost said the cereal community. They're all over the big cereal brands, you know, because rice is an inexpensive food stuff and it can be very nutritious. So four of the seven rice cereals that are specifically for infants that this study tested contained inorganic arsenic, and that's the more toxic form of this metal. The levels of our arsenic, of this type of arsenic that we're in there, exceeded the FDA's proposed limit of one hundred parts per billion. So the FDA for this arsenic for this case does have a proposed limit, which is, hey, guys, like you're talking to loud kids at a dorm, Hey guys, keep your arsenic levels down to one hundred parts per billion.
Speaker 3: We're going to talk about the FDA and baby foods, right, Okay, yeah, yeah, good.
Speaker 1: Only there is a little bit of light the tunnel, but it's faint and it's distant. Of the one hundred and sixty eight baby foods tested, some were found not to contain traces of any of these four metals. Exactly, nine baby foods of one hundred and sixty eight were found to be clean. So these studies are in large part what prompted this congressional investigation. And in the course of this investigation, the Congress has seven of the largest baby food producers in the US to give their own internal documents and their own test results because naturally, you know, part of being a food company and selling to the public means that you have to have internal testing. There are safety standards of some sort you have to meet. Here's the thing, though, Matt. Four companies replied to the request, Nurture, Beechnut, Haine, and Gerber, but a couple of companies just didn't do it. Imagine that, like, what level are you at when Congress ask you for something and you go, eh, well.
Speaker 3: You're at Walmart level right, Specifically Sure, which is one of the companies that did not respond. Also Campbell, like Campbell Soup, they produce quite a bit of baby food, as well as Sprout Organic Foods, which I have to say is one of the biggest brands that my family chose to feed our sun, which troubles me greatly, But that's okay, that's Okay, so, yeah, they didn't respond. They didn't they didn't give the investigators anything, and it made them, you know, the people who are looking into this quote greatly concerned.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's that is a verbatim quote, but it doesn't quite nail the reaction that people would be having.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: So, several of the companies we should note to be fair I have released public statements in response to this or have responded to members of the media asking them about it. You can read those statements online. They are pretty much exactly what you expect, which is the gist is we test rigorously for any materials or anything that can't legally be included in this stuff. Or the way it'll sometimes be phraised is we rigidly adhere to all federal.
Speaker 3: Guidelines, yeah, or FDA standards or something like that. And one of the major things you'll read in these statements is that they test each product as it comes in. So one of the major things we're going to continue on here is that they test the carrot when it comes in and gets ready for the manufacturing process. They test the apple, they test you know, the individual foods. The big question though, is are they actually testing the end product and where are those numbers, because that's what this investigation was, looking at the actual product.
Speaker 1: And the containers too. Yeah, that's how they would That's some of the metrics the studies use are some of the language. So specific. Examples of this kind of stuff include, of course, beechnut gerber that's a bummer, Plum Organics, parents' choice, many many, many, many more. And I know these names are familiar to a lot of folks listening to the show today, and maybe to my co host.
Speaker 3: Dude, I know the plumb Organics one too, Dude. As a parent, like you're trying to you're trying to give your kid the best stuff, no matter who you are, no matter where you are, you want to give your kid the best stuff you can afford. And you know the best foods. You have access to the healthiest things. And I swear to you, man, a lot of these foods market themselves, and they market themselves as being healthy. They convince you as a parent that you're doing the right thing. And I'm not saying that you're doing the wrong thing by feeding your kids these things. It's just a it feels like a real betrayal, knowing that they knew.
Speaker 1: Right right, And of course none of this is medical advice. We're just we're giving you the lay of the lay of this disturbing land. So how about this, We should point out that they're doubtlessly other products out there containing these poisons. This is the beginning of what may end up being an even larger list. We're going to pause for a word from our sponsor and will return to talk a little bit about how we as a society got here, the potential health effects, and what if anything you can do as an individual or your communities can do as a group to combat this problem.
Speaker 3: We're back.
Speaker 1: The danger here is not theoretical. The danger here is proven. It is clear these substances can cause harm to a baby's developing brain and nervous system, both while they're in utero and after birth. Impacts can include things like the permanent loss of intellectual capacity, and they've also been linked to things like ADHD or autism. All four of these antagonists in the story are linked to IQ loss from exposures early in life. The evidence is here, there's hard science behind it. The science behind it spans decades. The research is ongoing, and it keeps proving the same stuff there were at least twenty three studies published in the last seven or eight years that confirm the impact specifically of these toxic heavy metals on the healthy development of children. These studies are available. These studies are things that manufacturers of baby food would have been well aware of at the time, at least in part. It appears, according to congress because their own internal testing confirmed it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So let's now jump to the FDA and like, what do they say, what are the safe levels of some of these heavy metals? Are there any safe levels? What is that look like? How do you measure that kind of stuff? Well, in order to get a handle on this, we are forced to look at drinking water statistics and FDA FDA guidelines and a couple like EPA guidelines for drinking water. So, according to this Congressional report, and according to the Food and Drug Administration, the FDA has a limit allowable level of some of this stuff in bottled water. So when you're talking about when you're talking about arsenic, it's ten parts per billion of this inorganic arsenic, this particular type of the metal. When you're talking about lead, it's capped at five parts per billion. As the allowable amount and cadmium five parts per billion, okay, so really low ten five and five parts per billion to be safe in drinking water. The EPA, when it looks at this, has capped the allowable level of mercury in drinking water at two parts per billion. Again almost nothing, almost zero. But then we got to look at the test results of these baby foods and it is pretty astounding the levels that were found.
Speaker 1: Right, the test results for baby food and their ingredients, back to your earlier point, Matt, Congress says, they eclipse those levels. There are results that are up to ninety one times the allowable level of arsenic again embottled water, up to one hundred and seventy seven times the level of lead, sixty nine times nice the level of cadmium, and up to five times the level of mercury. And again, remember we said mercury is the one that seems to occur the least often. So why are we using bottled water? Why why did Matt, why did you say we're forced to use the standards for bottled water.
Speaker 3: Well, that's because there are no FDA standards for these heavy metals in baby food. They don't they don't exist. There are no standards for them.
Speaker 1: That's wild.
Speaker 3: Why because their babies?
Speaker 1: Sorry sorry Noye the FDA.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just it feels like insanity. I don't understand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's unacceptable. And and you know, we want to be clear when we're talking about institutions doing this kind of stuff. We're not saying, uh, you working for the FDA or your friend working for the FDA is somehow inherently a bad person. These are things that happen collectively with institutions. There. Maybe there were some lobbyists putting their thumb on the scale. I would not at this point be in the least surprised. Maybe there was just an overwhelming amount of paperwork. But the end result is that kids are literally eating lead and catiumin or a snake in mercury. So that is where we are now. There are some proposed limits, but the FDA doesn't have these hard limits in That's why we had to compare it to bottled water. What is to be done? Well, As we said at the top, this does not have an easy answer. There's not one particular institution that can correct it. If the FDA came back today and said these levels have to be this, then manufacturers would of course be legally bound to scramble to meet those constraints. But look, it's so easy to make someone the bad guy. It's not as if these manufacturers are like sitting around on their coffee break from their Illuminati meeting or their Bohemian grove meeting and saying, you know what would be fine, Yeah, would be like a real kick for all of us. Since we're out of adrenochrome, why don't we just start adding stuff to baby food. They didn't think about it like that. They didn't scheme to purposefully put dangerous substances in your children's food. That food comes from somewhere else. It doesn't come from those factories, right, It comes from the soil, and that food grows in the soil using nutrients and using water. When the land and the water and the air are contaminated, then we are already starting out at a fundamental disadvantage in the supply chain. Even if you're a billion dollar company. Right now, there are only so many places in the world where you can get certain crops. It's true. That's just a reality. It's not a hot take. So these substances are also all elements that are occurring in the wild now because they've been frequently used in pesticides for like the last century or so, and they didn't ever go away. They're still in the soil, they're still in the groundwater, even if they stopped being used in pesticides decades ago. That doesn't mean, that doesn't mean the the missteps of the past were somehow negated and the bill bill in short comes due.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's very true. And there's also a lot of these particularly lead that were just pumped out into the air through automobiles for a long time. When you're thinking about diesel and the lead that was contained in there, lead paint, all kinds of lead products that just ended up in the environment. There are a lot of reasons that the soil itself, as you said, ben is going to be contaminated, because the air was contaminated, because the water was contaminated at some point, because X was contaminated at some point and continues to be polluted and contaminated, and it's it's it is a very tough situation. Knowing that, knowing that I think it's around one percent of the Earth's land area is actually able to be or to be used for producing crops. It's a very small amount of the earth that humanity can actually use to grow its food. And you know, what are you going to do when you can't use it? Let alone the whole Was it the phosphorus? Yeah's the phosphorus thing where we're running out. It really is on my mind.
Speaker 1: Dude, to take us in maybe a slightly less hopefully less depressing tangent. Did you know that phosphorus is being considered as one of the markers of possible life on other planets or intelligent life like in the search in the search for stuff, we've been the human species has been looking for evidence of water, evidence of other thing like carbon, et cetera. But phosphorus may end up being the key. It's more important than a lot of people think.
Speaker 3: And don't don't let them fool you, Ben, They're just looking for phosphorus so we can take it and bring it back here because we need it.
Speaker 1: Phosphorus heist down, I would be I would crew on that mission. According to the World Bank, the percentage of arable land the well percentage of the world's total land area that could be considered agricultural. It's pretty high. It's thirty seven point seven percent, But the part that can be considered arable land, which is what I think we're really talking about, is only ten point six percent, and that umber that number may decrease over time.
Speaker 3: Well a little better than one percent. So thank goodness, well, thank goodness for like.
Speaker 1: All right, but okay, so here's another question. If the FDA has not set those minimal levels. It's a messed up question, but it's on our show has to ask are these manufacturers breaking the law in their conspiracy to put profits over the health of children. It is a conspiracy totally, but is it an a legal conspiracy at this point?
Speaker 3: That's tough. I'll have them talk to my attorneys. Wait, I'll have to hire some attorneys. But yeah, I don't want to get sued by these guys, you know, by Big Baby. No, please not that.
Speaker 1: So there are advocates who believe that there's a strong legal case here. About a week after that report published earlier this February, a law firm got involved. Their name is balm hedlund Eristi and Goldman, and they have started accepting lawsuitcases about toxic baby food for parents who purchase food from any of those brands and have children who have been diagnosed with autism or ADHD attention deficit hyperd activity disorder. But again, but again, none of that cleanses the ecosystem of these contaminants. And from what we understand of the current science, nobody really knows how to one hundred percent get the genie back in the bottle here, or if there is a way, it's still largely theoretical, and multiple institutions are unwilling to bear the cost of the attempt itself. So the current hope right now, amidst the nonprofit groups, the concerned parents, the politicians, everybody, is that the findings of these and other studies might spur manufacturers to do more testing and to change their practices as much as possible to get these levels down. But then we have to ask, We have to ask about the other folks in the crowd, the other folks who are affected by this supply chain, the parents, Like, what if you are listening to this episode and this is the first time you're learning about this, your first question is what the hell do I do?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, what the hell do I do? And in order to discuss that, you have to talk about a few things. The first one is that it appears because of how these heavy metals function. We are talking about a cumulative effect when it comes to these things, and it's not a you get dosed one time by eating, you know, a particular baby food that has some arsenic in it, and then now your child has issues. The problem is it's cumulative. So I've been watching way too much daytime TV where they've had experts on talking about this. Ben, I've been watching so much. Do you remember that show that Doctors? They really Yeah, they did a fairly good job actually by having numerous experts on and getting some competing opinions here. But the takeaway from all of them together, I would say is that pediatricians say that you just need to if you are feeding your child baby food, you need to just limit the number of these things they're eating and supplement it with really fresh fruits generally, it's what they're saying, and grains not rice. That is just the first thing. I'm just going to put that out there. That's what I have heard, and that your child is not, you know, in danger just for eating you know, one pouch or whatever that has some of these metals in.
Speaker 1: It, right, right, This is not a death sentence. This is there's an accumulative aggregate effect at play with exposured almost any substance.
Speaker 3: But it does make it there's a trust issue then that I have, at least personally when it comes to this stuff, because as a parent, it feels like my trust, like the trust between me and these baby food manufacturers has been broken. Then it's making me question, you know, the advice I'm getting from daytime TV experts who are being paid to go on television and you know who a lot of times are sponsored by these big companies. So it's tough to know. It's really tough to know. The good thing is that there are all kinds of resources out there online that you can check out. You can educate yourself, and you can make the best decisions, you know, at least for that you can for you and your family.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, And some of the nonprofits we mentioned earlier have have advice as well on how to combat the rate of heavy metal consumption by exactly as you described, Matt, finding safer alternatives to baby foods that may be on these lists or found to contain these substances, you know, oatmeal instead of rice, cereal, or barley, et cetera. Maybe frozen bananas to replace teething cookies or biscuits. However, as any current or expecting parent knows, the world is full of advice for you. The cup of unsolicited parenting advice runneth over, you know, like, and these sources of advice are not created equally. Don't be fooled. I mean you don't don't assume that everybody's automatically a bad actor. But don't let someone's opinion or persuasive writing fool you into thinking what you are reading is automatically factual. It stinks right now that the burden of research is on people who have often just entered the busiest time of their adult lives and are trying to like sleep occasionally. It stinks that part of that part of that burden falls on you as a parent, to do the digging, do the research. To not be afraid of writing directly to companies with questions if you don't feel like you're getting satisfactory answers searching online. I guarantee you these companies have people whose entire job, their full time job, is to field and answer these questions, so they will be there and then even if you find a blog that you really like, look for the science, look for the boring stuff, look for the numbers, look for the studies. That congressional report is available freely online. The studies that we mentioned are also freely available online. This stuff is not you know, this is not a secret military program. Hopefully this stuff should all be declassified and for public consumption. And now we arrive at your part of the story, fellow conspiracy realists. As Matt and I said at the top, we need your help. How do you think this contamination can or should be addressed? Do these companies owe any kind of compensation to the children and the parents involved? I mean, how would that even work? That's a huge question. And perhaps most importantly, do you have a personal story or experience you would like to share with us or your fellow listeners. If so, please let us know. We try to be easy to find online.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right. You can find us on Facebook and Twitter, where you are a conspiracy Stuff Conspiracy Stuff show. On Instagram, you can check out Here's where it Gets Crazy. That is our group on Facebook with by the way, some of the best mods on the planet, coolest human beings you will ever meet. Hopefully you won't cross them and have to meet them that way, you'll meet them in a happy way. And here's where it gets crazy. If you don't like using social media, well, hey, you can find us via phone.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's right, Matt. We have a phone number one eight three three st d wytk cal. You'll hear, you'll hear a voicemail message. You'll have three minutes. Those three minutes belong to you. We can't wait to hear from you. We have some tips for you that will help you help you get around some of the weirdness of speaking into the void for three minutes. First, go ahead and open with your name or your nickname and let us know whether or not you are okay with your voice and name being used on air or your nickname. Second, tell us what's going on, give us the scoop, give us the skinny, hip us, hip us to the story. And then third, if there's anything you want to just say to us, then leave that for the end. If it's something you just want Matt, Nole, Alexis or Paul or me to know. And then fourth, last thing most important, if there's a really long story that's on your mind, go ahead and write to us at our email address. We'll give you that email address. We made some pretty good progress I think, going through our voicemail queue, and you.
Speaker 3: Talk about you did Ben, you did that, dude, We thank you.
Speaker 1: We did it. And Matt had to be a one man army for a very long time. So we instituted something that without any hint of irony or pretension. We were calling operations scorched earth, voicemail.
Speaker 3: Scorched mail.
Speaker 1: That was better. We should have That's what we should have gotten with. But so we can't wait to hear from you. But if you do not feel comfortable with the social needs, if you don't really dig using the phone, totally get it. That's why we are always here for you. There's one easy way you can always contact us. That's our good fashioned email address.
Speaker 3: Where we are conspiracy at iHeartRadio dot com. Stuff they don't want you to know is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.