Speaker 1: Music Saved Me.
Speaker 2: Music one percent has healing powers.
Speaker 3: What I do every night before I go to sleep, I put on meditation music where it's just like, oh, like ambient music, and my day is so stretched out that I put that on. My heart rate drops. I feel relaxed, I feel calm. And it's the same way when you hear a heavy metal song and the energy just spikes in the room. And that's something that's so beautiful because you know, in fifty years or one hundred years, or when I'm dead and gone, I will still have my energy and my presence on this earth through my music.
Speaker 1: This is the Music Saved Me Podcast, and I'm your host, Glynn Hoffman. Today we have a guest whose vibrant persona comes shining through in his music, but his journey hasn't been easy. Chad Tepper is an alternative artist who truly has been saved by music. Welcome to the show. Tell everyone who you are and why music is so important to you.
Speaker 2: Hey, guys with something. Name is Chad Tepper.
Speaker 3: I'm an artist from Orlando, Florida, and music is so important to me because it is the lifeline and the blood to my heart. It is the thing that's keeping my heart beating and keeping my mind present.
Speaker 2: And music has always been something for.
Speaker 3: Me where you know, I'm in school being bullied or picked on in you know, gym class, and I'm in the corner of the bleachers with my pack of CDs that I got from the library, and I'm listening to, you know, all all this different types of music to escape my reality. And I think music is one of the most beautiful things because let's say you're having a horrible day, nothing's going right. You put on a song and that one song can make you smile, can make you happy, you know, or if you're driving and you hear a sad song, can make you cry. It's just all those emotions. For music is so beautiful and for me, music is the greatest and most purest thing on this earth.
Speaker 1: Do you think music has supernatural healing powers?
Speaker 2: One music has healing powers.
Speaker 3: What I do every night before I go to sleep, I put on meditation music where it's just like, oh, like ambient music, and my day is so stressed out that I put that on. My heart rate drops, I feel relaxed, I feel calm. And it's the same way when you hear a heavy metal song and the energy just spikes in the room. And that's something that's so beautiful because you know, in fifty years or one hundred years, or when I'm dead and gone, I will still have my energy and my presence on this earth through my music. Like who else can say that, you know, when I'm dead and gone, that my music can still I can still affect people and make them happy or sad or angry or whatever I'm gonna, you know, put out in my music.
Speaker 2: I can affect people years and years later.
Speaker 3: You see it all the time with people listening to like Elvis Presley and Queen and those people are gone, but they live on forever and they continue to help people. Think about how many people listen, okay to Elvis Presley and it changes their whole mood in their life. And he's been gone for what like thirty forty years, but every day there will look for the next hundred years, every single day someone will listen to Elvis Presley.
Speaker 2: Isn't that insane? Isn't that insane?
Speaker 3: His music will play on forever, And That's where I want to be in my life.
Speaker 2: I want to help people forever. So it's it's fucking awesome.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: Do you remember the first time you realize that music had this force?
Speaker 2: I did? I did.
Speaker 3: I realized at a very young age when I would go skateboarding and I would listen to music and it would get me excited and I'd want to skate harder or skate better because of the music.
Speaker 2: I've always been that guy where.
Speaker 3: I'll have so I had a Walkman when I was about five years old. My mom got me a Walkman at a thrift store. Cassette player didn't work, you know, but the radio worked on it. And my mom said, from since the age of five when I got that cassette, I would always be asking her for batteries and it was glued to me all day, all night. I just wanted to take it in everything. And it's been like that since I was a age. You know, I always had music connected to me. Even now, like you know, it gets annoying for my fiance. I know it, but maybe it's not. But I have music on all day, all night, in the house, in the car, if I'm walking around, I'll put it on my phone on the speaker.
Speaker 2: Music just makes life better.
Speaker 1: You are so honest about what music means to you. How are you able to be that way?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think a lot of people are really afraid to be themselves. They don't want to get picked on, they don't want to admit they like some type of music because they want to be cool, they want to fit in with their friends.
Speaker 2: And for me, I'm like.
Speaker 3: That guy where you know, I buy like the new barbecue sauce that's really good, and I want to tell everybody about how good it is. And for me, music is it's so beautiful and amazing and I don't care what anybody thinks. You know, I've always been that person that's been made fun of or picked on or been the weird guy, and music's always been something that helps me out through my day.
Speaker 2: So yeah, if that's an answer, I don't know.
Speaker 1: No, that was a great answer. What do you want people to know about the homeless population?
Speaker 3: When when I was a kid and I was homeless, I didn't think that it was weird. I thought it was normal, which is so crazy to me, And for years I never.
Speaker 2: Wanted to to it. I was very ashamed of it.
Speaker 3: I went so I was homeless for seven years in Orlando, Florida. We lived in cars and tents, side of the road motels. And I think the biggest thing that people need to realize is not all homeless people are drug addicts or.
Speaker 2: Horrible people, or junkies or drunks.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of homeless people that are just put in that situation, you know. And there's a lot of people around the world right now that are one paycheck away from being homeless. And we need to be more grateful of what we have on you know. I know this country sucks sometimes. I know there's some things that are not right here, you know, but we need to be grateful that we're able to have food for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, you know, to have this the simple necessities like we have a like I have refrigerator full of food right now, and I have a I have a pantry full of food, and I didn't have food when I was a kid, and it's it's fucking.
Speaker 2: It's a great life, man, it's a great life.
Speaker 3: And we we need to we need to look at what we have and be grateful because there's a lot of people out there that don't even have a pillow to lay on. And we we need to be more thankful in life, and we need to not look down upon other people. It's very hard not to look down upon other people. And it's in our DNA, it's it's it's just who the human race is, you know, people thinking they're better than other people, like, oh, I don't need to help that person.
Speaker 2: But when when.
Speaker 3: I was a kid, all all somebody had to do, you know, was like, oh, you know, and we ran into multiple people when we were homeless that wouldn't help us or do anything. From family, from extremely rich family members. When I tell you this, you're gonna lose your mind.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: My dad's side of the family is extremely extremely rich billionaires, and he got disowned by by his whole family because he was he was Jewish, and he married a Christian woman and kind of got disowned by his family and lost everything.
Speaker 2: And I think we all.
Speaker 3: Need to look at being humans and you know, loving each other more and really walking walk them mill on somebody else's shoes before you judge them. Okay, because my mom and dad were great people. The cards just weren't right, you know, and they've been through such horrible things and I've been through such horrible things.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you this right now.
Speaker 3: I think I have a better mind space, and you know, vision and love in my heart more powerful than people that grew up, you know, super rich or having everything they wanted. Because I have a lot of friends that grew up super rich, and for them, you know, having a little bit of money or a nice car doesn't mean anything to them because they've always had it.
Speaker 2: And for me, the little things in life mean so much.
Speaker 3: And there's so many people out there right now where you just buy them a pair of shoes, you know, or a new shirt to wear the school, or you know, talk to them or there's just so many little things and we all need help and we're all struggling. But your basic necessities that you take for granted, people would do anything to have anything. So we need to love more and be appreciative more and really look to help each other. And you know, I see people in La driving around Lamborghinis and Ferraris and they pull up to the red light and there's a bunch of homeless people sleeping, and you know, it is what it is, you know, it's it's it's very sad and horrible that we we live in a world where or even a country where homeless people are so looked down upon and and they're looked at as drug addicts and criminals and horrible people.
Speaker 2: Where you know, you.
Speaker 3: Can't judge buy a book a book by its cover, not not everybody's the same, you know, everybody's an individual and everybody's different.
Speaker 1: Talk to us a little bit about how it makes you feel when your music really connects with someone you know really deep.
Speaker 3: Uh. It makes me feel like I'm actually making a difference, and it makes me feel really good. I recently started having people come up to me and being like, Oh, I love your music.
Speaker 2: This song's really good. It really helped me.
Speaker 3: Or I'll get a comment on a music video saying, wow, this song I felt it in my chest.
Speaker 2: You know, like this song really hit me.
Speaker 3: And there's so much music out there that did that to me growing up that if I can do that for one person, it's so cool.
Speaker 2: It's it.
Speaker 3: This is why you do what you do. You know, you want people to appreciate the art you're making. So it's a great feeling.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Chad Tepper is a man who loves his craft. His story truly embodies the spirit of the Music Saved Me podcast.
Speaker 3: If you like.
Speaker 1: Music Saved Me, If you like music saved me. Please share it with a friend. You'll be glad you did. Lin Hoffman, thanks for listening.