Speaker 1: Hello, what's up? Happy New Year? Thank you again for tuning in to the Therapy Gecko podcast. This is a special edition of gek Mail. So gek Mail is a version of this show that I do where I don't take phone calls. I just read viewer emails. But last night I came up with a with a crazy idea. Came up with a crazy idea.
Speaker 2: What if?
Speaker 1: What if I somehow combined the two topics to create gek Mail two point zero, wherein I would read emails and then whenever I feel like it, take a phone call and get one of the get a caller's perspective.
Speaker 2: On the email.
Speaker 1: It's a genius idea. I'm excited to try it out today. And so if you're watching this live on Twitch as I'm recording it, please, you know, feel free to call in between emails and I may very well take your call. I hope everyone is having a good New Year. Before we get into the emails, I want to talk about something exciting going on in my life.
Speaker 2: This is cool.
Speaker 1: So tomorrow at nine am, I am going to Japan. I'm going to Japan and I'm gonna do a really interesting thing there. I don't know if you all recall an episode of this podcast I put out. I don't even know how long ago it was, maybe it was a few weeks or months or whatever, and it's called I Walked Across Japan, and in it I told the story of how so last time I was in Japan.
Speaker 2: It's about two years ago.
Speaker 1: I was in I was like IRL streaming, so I had this irl stream backpack and I was walking around as the Gecko, live streaming and talking to people, and somebody in my twitch chat was like, hey, man, I actually live in Japan and I know where you are. Stay right there. I'm gonna stream snipe you. I'll come say what's up. And everyone in my chat was like, nah, nah, that's that's not true. This guy's just fucking with you. You're waiting around for nothing. And I was like, no, no, no, this guy's gonna show up. I'm gonna just wait here for like ten minutes. And then this guy form my twitch chat is gonna show up. And I waited about ten minutes and everyone in the everyone in the chat is like, wow, you're being trolled. Okay, this guy's not gonna show up. A guy shows up. He's sense a Martian in the chat, guy shows up. I'm like, are you sense A Martian. He's like, yes, I am, and uh me and this guy that I just met from my twitch chat. We walked around and talked and hung out for a couple hours and it was great and he kind of showed me around Tokyo a little bit. And then after the stream ended, we we kind of started chatting a little bit about like content creation and life and stuff, and then about like three I don't I don't know. Hevery many months ago, I get a call from sense Martian on the podcast. You can listen to this phone call. The episode is called I Walked across all of Japan.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 1: So if you go to Spotify and you just search under therapy, get call I walked across all of Japan.
Speaker 2: You can listen to this.
Speaker 1: And I get a call from him and he tells me, hey, man, our conversation. I felt really good about it, and it inspired me to walk all across Japan over six months and record it. And now I am going to go to Japan and I'm gonna meet up with sense Martian and We're gonna go on a long ass walk.
Speaker 2: I don't know, we don't know where yet.
Speaker 1: He's putting together a few ideas for roots and stuff, and it's I'm probably I don't think I'm gonna walk across all of Japan, but I want to go on a real walk. I've been talking a bunch of shit about uh getting into fitness and and how this is. You know, I really really want to pay more attention to my health than not be a piece of shit this year.
Speaker 2: So I told him.
Speaker 1: I was like, I want to go on like a seventy mile walk something crazy like that. And he's like, I got you. So I'm gonna meet up with this with with with sense Martian once again after two years, and we're gonna we're gonna walk some crazy walk. We don't know what yet, but uh, I think we're gonna stream a little bit of it. So UH, if you don't follow me on twitch already, you can follow me on twitch at twitch dot tv, slash lyle forever and uh in the coming weeks you may see uh me go live with sense Martin walking across some part of rural Japan. So I'm excited for that. That's what I'm doing tomorrow. But what what I am doing today is taking is reading emails, not taking calls, was reading emails. So I am going to start reading some emails a right. Let's see here. Okay, let's start with Facebook wants me sad. Okay, this is from Brackley. Subject line Facebook wants me sad.
Speaker 3: Hi.
Speaker 1: My name is Raffle Raphael. I'm gonna say Raphael. Love the gak mail thingy and the show blah blah. Let's get to the story. I had a really and I mean really good friend during high school. I considered her my soulmate and it was like that for all three years. After the graduation ceremony, when everybody was congratulating each other and saying goodbye, she was crying because, quote, it is the last time we would see each other, she said. I didn't think much of it. I thought our friendship was stronger than that, but I hate that she was right. There were a few meetups, and the daily chats became infrequent. Five years later, Facebook sent me a notification of unread messages with her profile picture. I was so happy to think that maybe she reached out, but it was just a glitch and I had no new messages since then. Every time I opened the FB messenger app, she appears in my hot bar for a split second and then is replaced by someone that should be there. Her name is Carolina, and if she is listening, tell her I say hi. Because of Facebook, I miss her every day, Brett. But okay, hold on, I hate this fucking what do you mean?
Speaker 4: Tell her?
Speaker 1: I said, what do you mean? If she is listening, tell her how you say hi? You fucking have her on Facebook? Tell her you say hi? Tell her you say hi yourself, my friend? Good God?
Speaker 2: What are you doing? What do you mean?
Speaker 1: Tell her you what do you mean? If she this is I gotta tell you, Raphael. If this is your attempt to reach out to this girl, it is the worst one you could have picked.
Speaker 2: Why don't you just message her? Here's the thing.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you something I feel for you. You you think that.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: You got faked out, that maybe this girl reached out to you and that hurt. But why the fund dude, if you want to talk. I don't understand the conflict in here, because if you want to talk to her, why don't you just reach out? I don't understand this will why? Why?
Speaker 2: Okay? Hold on?
Speaker 1: Then it says, PS, I am the truck driver from Poland. You met at the Manchester show. It was awesome. Oh thanks man? Yeah, dude, why don't you why I'm so confused. Why don't you just reach out to her and and uh say hi? This is the worst way to communicate with this person. Her name is Carolina. You clearly like this girl. Why don't you just why don't you just message her on Facebook? That's what Facebook is for, It's for messaging people. This felt I felt a little cold in my response to this email, but also I just I'm like, if you miss her, why don't you just be like, hey, what's up? It's been five years. Facebook told me a movie. You reached out, but I don't even say that. Just be like, hey, how are you doing. It's not like she blocked you. All right, let's keep going. This is from Elias subject line I want to buy a bird. Hey, gek, I've been wanting to buy a bird, something like a little budgy. My girlfriend seems open to the idea, but not completely on board.
Speaker 2: I had a bird before, a cute little blue budgie.
Speaker 1: Hold on, before I go for any further, I'm going to google what a budge is because I don't Oh, Okay, yeah, these are cute.
Speaker 2: I like these.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately it died from overeating culture salt that was left on the countertop. I don't have anything more deep or philosophical to talk about, but I would like to convince my girlfriend to get this bird. So that's about it. I'm curious why your girlfriend doesn't want the bird. Is it because you kind of killed one of the birds already? I feel like I feel like in life, you get I don't know. This is an interesting conundrum. How many passes do you get to kill a bird? I think if you have a pet bird and you kill it, maybe you get to try one more time. If you have a pet bird and it dies because you left salts out, maybe you get another bird. I'm not a big fan of pet birds. I think it's kind of sad, right, Like, like, if you're like a domesticated like if you're a dog, right, you're gonna have your best life in domestication, hands down, you're gonna have your best life in domestication because you know, you get food and you get walked and all this stuff. But a bird, I feel like you have your best life in the wild because you can like fly and do shit.
Speaker 2: You know, somebody the.
Speaker 1: Chest said birds are super easy to kill unfortunately salt ceiling fans, etc.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know, man, I would say.
Speaker 1: I would say, I'm I would love to talk to your girlfriend about why she thinks you shouldn't get a bird.
Speaker 2: Why don't you get like a hamster something?
Speaker 1: Why don't you I think you should say, I think you'd kind of botched it with the bird the first time around.
Speaker 2: Why don't you try something else?
Speaker 1: Why don't you get like a chinchilla, or like a lizard or something like that, something like a like some I want you should get an animal that you know it's better off with you than wherever the fuck else it would be. And I would say, no bird. Maybe not no bird, but I feel like whatever bird that you would have in captivity is worse off than if it was just in the wild. But I wouldn't say that about a gecko or like if you want to get a frog, something like that, something like that. Okay, all right, I'm feeling good about this gek mail today. I'm feeling good about this gak mail today.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: This is from Victor, subject line one of your callers changed my life, yo, GHEK fun story for you. I met a girl on Facebook dating in June.
Speaker 2: I quit my.
Speaker 1: Job just to see her for five days, and they were the greatest days of my life.
Speaker 2: At that point.
Speaker 1: I wanted to move to where she lived, and I was pretty hell bent on doing it. I took a shitty job at Olive Garden, and I put myself through a lot of physical and mental trauma for a month until my body couldn't take it anymore. She wasn't very supportive of me losing that job, telling me she told me so and all that, and then proceeded to cheat on me with two dudes in one night. I forgave her and still visited her for her birthday, on which she got insanely drunk and tried hurting her herself, which I was lucky enough to stop. She actually called into the show while I was there. Iight o K if you remember the girl who cleans toilets for Cohler, but that's her. She's a pretty cool gal. I think I kind of remember her. I loved her to death, but she broke up with me a week or so after her birthday and told me she didn't want the relationship. After July with that, I did a lot of soul searching and realized I wasn't the person I thought I was. So I'm starting my transition to be a woman. If this gets red on air and she hears it, I forgive her for everything because it took me losing her to find myself. Sometimes that's what it takes, and I wouldn't change a thing about my past. Thanks for letting me share this. GEK much love, Vivian. Well, interesting, huh interesting? Interesting? Uh yeah, I wonder.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's cool.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 1: I think that's cool. I like this story because this is a story of, like, you know, something bad happens to you and it helps you kind of figure out who you actually are, right, Like, that's I think when bad I think, I think when bad things happen to you, it's actually uh good sometimes because it helps you figure out that maybe you're a woman, or maybe you uh something else about you? You know, are you still friends with this lady? It seems it took me losing her to find myself.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 1: I like that. Yeah, all garden sucks. I don't have any more commentary on this. I'm gonna read another email. Hello, sir, okay, okay. Subject This is from cl Frost. Subject line father issue. Hello, sir, ma'am, my name is Max parentheses, don't say my name. I am just kidding. I don't care.
Speaker 2: I just said that to piss you off. Okay.
Speaker 1: I am having some troubles with my dad as of recently. I am currently a second year at a university and studying mechanical engineering.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: My dad had asked.
Speaker 1: Me for my grades, and mind you, I was taking some really hard classes. I'm taking calculus, physics, and a history class that I don't really care about. All of my classes I have a's except for Calc. Anyway, he asked for my grades and I showed him my grades and immediately went for the C.
Speaker 2: And he asked me why I have a C.
Speaker 1: And I told him it is the class that I'm struggling with and told him what I was gonna do to bring it up.
Speaker 2: What I didn't like is that he completely.
Speaker 1: Dismissed the a's that I have, and I legit was so pissed off because I've been working my ass off in these classes and it honestly is a lot. I want to be proud of me because there has never been a moment in my life where he told me that he is genuinely.
Speaker 2: Proud of me.
Speaker 1: By the way, this is a Mexican dad, so you can use those racial stereotypes because they are real. Okay, I get the comparison where let's say one kid is sick and one isn't. Who are you going to look at more whoever is sick or isn't. I don't know what that was the point being. How do I approach this because it honestly makes me upset? And I know you should be proud of myself for everything I have accomplished. I just want some sort of validation, I guess I know. I hope you have a good rest of your name. Yeah, Max, listen, I'm really genuinely I'm really sorry that your dad. You're feeling like you have issues with your dad where he's like not proud of you. But you said a lot of stuff in this email that I liked. Right, you were like, I know I should be proud of myself for everything I have accomplished. Let me tell you something, Max, Let me speak some fucking let me let me let me speak some uh, some motivational jizz in your ear all right. You don't need anyone's permission to be proud of yourself, my friend, You don't need anyone's permission to be proud of yourself. If you're proud of yourself, be proud of yourself. You don't need anyone's permission to fucking feel any kind of way about yourself. You get to that, you you, I you seem like, here's the thing. You're a second year at university, so like you're just now coming into like the universe of being an adult, and people shit on being an adult, but I think it's way way better than being in fucking high school. Because when you're in elementary school, midd school, high school, your whole fucking life is about asking for permission. You're asking for permission from your your teachers to give you good grades, and you're asking for permission from your parents to do things, and you're asking for permission from everyone for everything. And you finally, as an adult, like you just get to fucking the one thing you never have to ask permission for is like how you want to feel about yourself, you know, and deep into your fucking adult life, you're gonna find yourself trying to ask for permission from people around you and from society and from your job about like feeling good about yourself or feeling that you are a certain kind of way, like needing validation on that and.
Speaker 2: You never have to do that ever.
Speaker 1: You only fucking validate, like you know, look, check in, check in with the people around you, check in with society to kind of make sure you're not a total anti social, insane person.
Speaker 2: I think that's good. I think that grounds you in reality.
Speaker 1: You don't want to think you're like the hot shit amazing everything and have no external evidence to you know, tell you everything otherwise.
Speaker 2: But you don't.
Speaker 1: You know, you don't need your dad to validate you. You could look you. You know, you know that you worked hard on the classes. So just be proud of yourself, Max. You don't need your dad to be proud of you. You can just be proud of yourself. Okay. This is from hot Dog, a subject line name change surgery. Hello, Lyle, Please call me hot Dog if you read this email on the podcast. Me and my girlfriend have been talking about getting engaged in twenty twenty five and married probably in twenty twenty six, and have been thinking about the whole last name thing. I have my father's last name, but my parents split up when I was a baby, and my mom and my maternal grandparents raised me. Me and my dad reconnected in my childhood and are on good terms but not close. I see him maybe once per year. My girlfriend had the idea of us both taking my maternal grandparents' last name when we get married, instead of her taking my last name, and have it be a surprise for my grandparents at the wedding. I love this idea and think it would be a great way to show my appreciation for them and everything they've done. I would also like to invite my father to the wedding, but I feel like no matter what, this will hurt his feelings and maybe impact our relationship, even though he has to know realistically that he did not play a large role in my life. We are both in our late twenties. Love the show. Been watching for a couple of years. You bring great perspective. Thanks hot Dog. Okay, so this is Do you think your dad is going to be upset that you took your mom's name instead of his? Let me reread this is this really gonna.
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: Both my mom and me and my dad reconnected. My childhood, wrong, good terms and not close. I see him maybe once per year. Oh so you know, bro, whatever, Look, here's the thing. You're in your late twenties. If this is what you want to do again, I mean, you don't need permission from your dad to like this is I guess, like a people pleasing thing. Like you don't want to hurt your dad's feelings, but like whatever, man, if this is what you want to do, then do it right. I feel like it's pretty simple, Like I get that you don't want to impact your dad's relationship. But here's the thing. If you sit down with your dad and you're like, Okay, yeah, this is what I'm doing and he gets like fucking pissed and offended, then you know that's that's his problem, to be honest, that's a him letting this impact your relationship because you know he's got to take the l on this one. He's got to be like, ah, you know, you're right, I kind of fucked up, but I abandoned you for a little bit and we're back, but we're not that close.
Speaker 2: I get it.
Speaker 1: I get it. I get it. And then you and then if he does that, if you tell him this and he's like, ah, yeah, you're right, I get it. I get it.
Speaker 2: Then you guys can have it.
Speaker 1: Then if he does that, then you guys can have a beautiful relationship because he's like, you know, accepts his place in your life, and then he can build on top of that and become even closer with you. But that's on him to accept, not really on you to care about whether or not this hurts his feelings. I'm going to take a phone call. I kind of want to take a quick phone call on this. If you're in the Twitch show right now and you have thoughts about any of the emails that have been read thus far, give me a call all from Noah?
Speaker 2: Hello, Hello, Yo, Noah? What's up?
Speaker 6: What's going on?
Speaker 3: Yo?
Speaker 2: Noah?
Speaker 4: Noah?
Speaker 2: Can you hear? Okay?
Speaker 1: Noah, what's up? What do you What do you think about these emails?
Speaker 2: What do you got?
Speaker 3: Bro?
Speaker 7: I'm going to be real with you. I just tuned into the stream I've been playing.
Speaker 1: All right, all right, We're gonna take another call from.
Speaker 2: Hey, what's up? Can you hear me? Are you there?
Speaker 3: I am here?
Speaker 2: Well? What you got for me? You have thoughts on any of these emails?
Speaker 3: All right? All right? Mister Lyle, mister, I have more more than thoughts for these, for these emails all right now. On the on the one, on the one that we just listened to, those about like the dad taking and that ship. Man, look, look I agree with like, you've gotta you've gotta fuck that shit up. You know what I'm saying. It's got to be like man, Look, I've been you all the pieces of ship. But you know what I'm saying. We here now, you know what I mean. But no, not not not not much can go from there, you know what I mean. I'm sorry. I'm just really fucking I'm much shaking right now.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you said you've been there before like this, like do you have a kid.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, I'm a kid.
Speaker 4: I'm twenty.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, Like is this something that's happened with your dad?
Speaker 3: No, No, I'm just this is just like outside looking in mister Lyle.
Speaker 1: Oh sure sure, sure, sure, sure, Yeah, no, I agree, I agree. I think he's just gonna kind of take the l on it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. No, I'm sorry, Like I've lost all my thoughts. Ever since I you answered the phone, I've been trying to get in here for for a while mister.
Speaker 2: Hyle, do you have any other thoughts on the emails?
Speaker 3: I thought I thought on the on the oh oh my god, oh yeah I'm the one. Uh I'm the one where the guy was talking about, oh I had to lose my girlfriend who's my girlfriend? To find who I am? And and and now I'm trans I mean like I get that.
Speaker 1: I get that, Oh god, where's this where's this gun?
Speaker 3: But like but like but like why why did he like lock in and say like he had to turn into a girl? Like you know, he switched sides, you know, like after he was like where did that come from?
Speaker 1: What do you talk about?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Because because he was just like he was like, oh I lost I lost my girlfriend and my girlfriend helped me like find myself and then he like switched sides. He said he was transitioning, did he not? Yeah? Wait?
Speaker 2: What do you know? What do you not get about that?
Speaker 3: I mean like like I'm just like, where did that come from? I mean like I can accept this, but like we're I don't.
Speaker 1: I think, well, I think they're just I don't. Okay, okay, okay, if you're if you're asking, how is this person transitioning related to their relationship that they had with with uh their ex girlfriends. I actually kind of don't know, but that's what they're telling me, maybe something about I don't know, maybe I don't know, it's it's I guess it's just part of like the journey of how they discovered it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't that like that. That that really threw me for a loop. That really that that through me, that through me like all the way to the left. I didn't know. I didn't know where that came from. Like I don't know what kind of heartbreak you gotta go through, you know, I don't know what kind of depressions you went through or she now that just that was just kind of crazy miss you.
Speaker 1: While I don't know, I guess I guess they just like, uh, yeah, I don't know. I guess it was just part of the part of the job. Let me, I don't know, let me reread that email. Where is it at?
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, they did this. This person did not.
Speaker 1: Particularly uh go into detail as to how they were related. But I think I think that I think the idea is that this relationship, uh they say, I did a lot of soul searching and realized it wasn't the person I thought.
Speaker 2: I was, and so I think this.
Speaker 1: I think it was just like something where like a major life event or or like the ending of a relationship causes one to do soul searching and then they come up with conclusions.
Speaker 2: As a result of their soul searching.
Speaker 3: I would say, so it was definitely the so searching part. I don't know. That must have been. That must have been a crazy journey, all right. That that that is insane. That's crazy.
Speaker 8: All right? Name?
Speaker 3: Oh, oh my god, my name is double love Jess. Can you say that for me?
Speaker 1: Double Love Jess. Is there anything else you want to say to the people?
Speaker 3: Come on, you gotta say double all right?
Speaker 1: All right, I'm done with this person. Okay, I'll take another all right, I'll take another call. Actually, no, let me read. Let me read another email first, and then I'll take another call.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 1: Uh, this is from Stella. Subject line I got hit by a car on the way to your show plus Purpose in Life. Hi, Lyle, I'm Stella and have been a huge fan for years. I was probably the first person to buy your twenty twenty four San Francisco tickets because I was so excited. On the day of I was riding my motorcycle to the venue Holy Shit, and got hit by a hit and run drive six blocks from the venue. My left shoulder took months to heal, but luckily it's ninety nine percent healed now. I also got some long term minor nerve damage on my left leg, but nothing that interferes with my life. So anyways, I was never able to see you live, and I'm super excited for the next opportunity. Man, that's I don't know. Man riding a motorcycle. They sound like a grandpapa. Yeah, riding a motorcycle is crazy. I recently turned twenty five, and I'm now very well settled into adult life. However, sometimes I wonder whether or not I am too hedonistic and what my purpose in life should be. I am an only child, don't talk to my parents, don't know my extended family, and immigrated to the US from New Zealand in twenty seventeen. I'm happy with my current job, but I don't think my job brings significant purpose or meaning. I don't want to have children. I spend most of my time on hedonistic activities, such as spending time with friends. Hold on, okay, Stella, I don't think you understand. I don't think you know what the word hedonism means. I don't know if I would put I mean, I don't know. If you're doing cocaine with your friends and you know everyone's blowing each other, then yeah, sure that's hedonistic. But I don't think that purely spending time with your friends is hedonistic. Okay, spending time with my friends, traveling and investing in hobbies.
Speaker 2: I don't think you know what hedonist. I don't like Stella.
Speaker 1: I I feel bad for Stella because she I think the person who wrote this email lives in a world where anything that is not working is considered hedonism.
Speaker 2: I think I think, yeah, uh.
Speaker 1: We're Hedonism is like doing Hedonism is like gluttonous excess and like drugs and taco bell and porn. You know, I mean spending time with friends playing Jenga and traveling and you know, sewing or whatever.
Speaker 2: I don't know if that's hedonism. I know this sounds great.
Speaker 1: On the surface, but sometimes I feel like my life is meaningless because I will never raise kids or build a family, and I'm not sure if there's a career where I can derive purpose and meaning from. What do you think about hedonistic lifestyles and deriving meeting from them, especially for people with essentially no family. Thanks for the podcast and for being an awesome person. Each new episode brings a smile to my face.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Still I listening to this podcast is maybe a little hedonistic. But other than that, you know what I'm I'm gonna assume that you don't think. I'm gonna assume you just don't know what hedonism means, and maybe you're using it to mean something else, Just like, what do I think about I mean, you're only twenty five. Let's see, I'm an only child and talk to my parents. I do not want to have children. I feel like my life is meaningless because I will never raise kids or build a family, and I'm not sure if there's a career I can drive purpose of meaning from. Well, here's the thing, dude, is you can decide.
Speaker 2: Well, look, you.
Speaker 1: First of all is you don't really know if you're ever gonna raise kids or build a family, because your opinions on these things could easily change if you meet the right person, or if your perspective changes as a result of something over the years. I mean, you could decide five six ten years from now that you know you do want to raise a family, you do want to do this other thing, and so there's that I don't know. I'm a big I'm a big never say never guy on that one. But also when it comes to like meaning in life, it's like, bro, there's no there's no real rules. I mean, don't die, don't do anything eagle, don't die, don't kill anyone, don't don't do anything fucked up. But that there's really no rules, so you can decide what brings you meaning. You know, if you like motorcycling and you like how you feel when you know your hair is blown through the wind and you get hit by a car, then that can be your thing. You know, if you like hanging out with your friends and that gives you meeting, you like traveling and that gives you meaning, you get to decide that's the thing is like again again is kind of similar to the guy with his dad. It's like, nobody gives you permission to fucking do anything. You get to decide what is meaningful, so you don't have to ask for permission from other people on what's meaningful. But also I wouldn't I wouldn't self impose any rules upon you, and I wouldn't self impose any ideas that like, you'll never derive purpose from a family or a career, and that there's nothing like I like you like you're getting into a little like doom or territory. I think in terms of like deciding that there's nothing out there that will give you purpose. Maybe that's not what you're saying. Maybe I'm, maybe I'm I'm. But also these things that you the word hedonistic, I'm gonna like the hanging out with your friends and traveling and investing in hobbies and flying airplanes, as you say, are all great things to derive meaning from. And if you're feeling guilty because the things that give you meaning are not necessarily the things that you see out in society or what giving give other people meaning, just remember that there's no fucking rules and you don't have to kind of subscribe to anyone else's idea of what's meaningful or not. I'm sorry you got hit by a car on the way to my show. Let's take it all right, there's a caller. Let's take a.
Speaker 7: Call from Kara.
Speaker 1: Hello, Hello, hey Caroa, what do you think of these emails?
Speaker 9: Well, for the person talking about the hedonistic lifestyle, even though what they're saying it's again not hedonistic or anything like that. If you wanted to put some kind of purpose in your life, why wouldn't you want to create spaces where people can enjoy themselves, like even just you know, simply like oh, making a board a place for people to play board games, or a night for people to do trivia, or a place to people to do weird dances in the a room, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love that. I love that.
Speaker 1: I love that that's a great way to find meaning because yeah, I mean, this person clearly they because I think this person like they're talking about not wanting to raise kids or build a family, but they're like trying to I think still feel like connected to other people in a deep, meaningful way. And so yeah, I think with the stuff you're talking about, like trying to create a community that they can feel connected with, not necessarily like kids or a family, but just like a community space, I think that's a great idea.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it feels richundon almost because it's kind of the message that you kind of send out a lot in a lot of your streams that I'll listen to. But you know, not an original concept at all. If you're searching for a meeting and you have people around you, you should look at the other people around you and find meaning in them and the space and the thing, the memories you make with them.
Speaker 2: Love it. What's your name again, Tarah?
Speaker 1: Tare any of the other emails you have any comments on?
Speaker 9: I didn't hear earlier, so I don't have so much to say a.
Speaker 2: Lot, Thank you, Tara.
Speaker 1: Thanks all right, let's see here.
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: This is from Elle, subject line trying to transform my life in twenty twenty five. Hey Gek, I'm Ellie from the UK. I just want to say thank you for your podcast. They've really helped my perspective and also have gotten me through tons of long car journeys. I think transform is a bit of an exaggeration, but in twenty twenty five, I'm hoping to change a few things. Stop drinking alcohol so often, completely, quit nicotine, get my own place in a cozy cottage slash apartment, and possibly even find a relationship. I'm a really chill person, so I just want to find another chill person who's gentle and kind hearted. It's been difficult in twenty twenty four, but also very transformative. So that's a positive. So please wish me luck and any advice would be great. I don't know if I have any advice for you. I'm trying to change. I'm trying to transform my life in twenty twenty five as well. Here stop drinking alcohol so often and quit nicotine. Any advice, don't pick I don't know, pick up something like running, pick up a better hobby. I suppose that's such shitty advice. I'm gonna, okay, I'm gonna skip the I'm gonna skip the advice, but I'm gonna wish you luck, Allie, I'm gonna wish you luck.
Speaker 2: I don't, I don't. You know what is funny.
Speaker 1: You know what sucks for me about doing this podcast a lot of times is I don't I really, really, really really really I I can I less and less and less feel as though I can offer advice as much as I can offer commiseration.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean? You guys know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Like, I don't know if I knew what to do, I wouldn't have I don't think I would be who I was who I am. You know, I only I only feel like I can commiserate these days, not advise as much, but I can. I commiserate with you. I wish you luck on your journey. All right, this is from Jesse hih Lyle. I love your content and I hope you come to Florida soon. Anyways, I recently left my cult parentheses sorority, and I feel so free. I know calling it a cult seems extreme, but you will understand why. Here are some of the reasons why I left my sorority. I was uncomfortable with the concept of rituals. These took place in a church and we would wear robes and stoles. In these rituals, we would have to hold hands while saying things from the ritual book in sync. We would also have to sing in a circle and bow. Racism was also a big factor. I am Latina and they constantly sped out micro aggressions and were openly racist. They went as far as to edit my skin in photos to look five shades darker to make me a diversity pick. They were also really strict on what we could wear during rush. Everything had to be name brand head to toe, and everything down to our socks had to be approved if the girl didn't like how something fit you, you would have to buy a new outfit. I understand address code, but I've seen girls spend thousands of dollars on a tire for Rush, and that is insane. Without much detail, these girls are straight up bullies. They turned a guy from my school into an LOL cow. They would pretend to be friends like Slash romantically interested in him, just to make fun of him in.
Speaker 2: The group chat.
Speaker 1: The whole school played along. I constantly told him this was not right, and they ignored me. He ended up crashing out and was expelled and taken to a mental hospital. After his release, he was arrested on campus for having a weapon to fucking Jesus Christ.
Speaker 4: Ugh.
Speaker 1: My final straw was that after my dog died, I was mourning and I was not talking or moving for a while. The day my family had to pick up his ashes, I was not able to go because my sorority threatened to find me if I took the day off. We had a four hour long Rush meeting and I was forced to sit there and try not to cry the whole time. They were incredibly inconsiderate of what I was going through, and I did not want to be around them anymore, and so I left. I really wish I left months ago, but college is actually pretty lonely, so I stuck it out until I couldn't anymore.
Speaker 2: Thanks for reading and happy New Year.
Speaker 1: Good good for you, Good for you, Jesse, good for you. Yeah, I fucking look, here's the thing.
Speaker 2: Here's the thing. So I actually.
Speaker 1: Remember when I was a freshman in college, I rushed a fraternity and it was okay.
Speaker 2: But I just.
Speaker 5: Feel like there's some people out there who like greek life and fraternities and sororities is like super super for them, Like they like that shit it, you know, it gives them like automatic community, and you know they're really into partying and getting fucked up and like the brotherhood of it and all that shit.
Speaker 2: And if it's for you, then God bless you.
Speaker 1: But I think there's another group of people where, like like people who like, you know, going into college as a freshman, it's such a like terrifying thing because you have nothing to grab onto, especially if you're going there alone, you don't know anyone, and it's it's an attractive idea to go join greek life and you automatically have all these friends, but you know, maybe it's not necessarily for you, and you kind of have to like take a step back and figure out how you're gonna make your community. I mean, so, I yeah, so I rush to this fraternity, but I just kind of didn't stick with it, and I never like really like signed up, heard paid the dues or whatever the fuck. And uh, you know, eventually I got into I started writing on the look on the like college comedy show, and uh, I met most of my friends doing that, and college for me didn't really get good until I started doing that. And so I don't know, it just kind of takes a little while to like figure out what your community is, you know. And yeah, yeah, I don't know. It's just such a I don't like the rigidity of the Greek life. I fucking hate rules, and I hate like you have to like be some guy's bitch, like like like you have to be a pledge and you have to like go fetch cigarettes for a dude and like fuck a horse or whatever they make you do.
Speaker 2: And uh, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think I don't think you should have to fuck a horse to make friends.
Speaker 2: But that's just me. Oh, we got a call coming in. Let's see.
Speaker 1: Okay, we had a all coming in and then it got uh fucked up? Okay, hold on, all right, all right, maybe we get another call coming in.
Speaker 2: Let's see, uh okay, here we go.
Speaker 1: No, well, hello, hello, Hey, what's up?
Speaker 3: Hello? Hey?
Speaker 7: Nothing much, just chilling, uh, hanging out?
Speaker 4: How are you?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: What do you You got any thoughts about these emails?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 7: So I'm the fraternity one. So I have a personal connection with this because I was in a fraternity in college as well. It was a music fraternity though I was a music major, and so everyone who was in the fraternity was also a musician. So that was a really cool environment. And then, like you know, the stuff we went through that you're talking about, like the cliche like frat thro stuff, Like I never experienced that. Heard stories from like back the day, But in my experience, I never was treated or forced to do things I didn't want to do. My big brother just really liked to go partnering, which was fine.
Speaker 1: Well, was this was this like a co ed frad or is this like a like an all boys thread?
Speaker 7: It was an all boys friend. We had like a sister or sorority where we would do events together. But one of the really cool things about this fraternity is because it's based around music. We have this whole song book and we'd memorize these songs and would go out to the community and do stuff. Actually ended up playing like a bluegret no uh ska band because of it. That was really cool.
Speaker 3: Mm.
Speaker 1: So they didn't like make you put a clarinet up your ass or any of that stuff.
Speaker 7: Oh fuck now fuck No. I did have a brother though, who got really fucked up on a truth or dare and ended up booping a beer, but that was his own choice.
Speaker 10: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 1: So did you ever consider joining like like a real you know, and I mean like like one of the you know, more traditional Greek life things.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I did.
Speaker 7: I got asked to come out to a rush a couple of times. I just didn't really appeal to me in the same way like the music stuff did. It was, you know, music's just a closer knit thing. And the guys in the fraternity themselves were really active in music community, so like they were the ones planning all the house shows in the city, getting the bands to come in, helping you know, manage that, and so getting to be a part of that process was really unique and cool that I don't think I would have gotten without joining the opportunity.
Speaker 1: Nice nice, Yeah, Well, I feel like those like specialized fraternity, like a music one, or like there's like a business fraternity. Like the specialized fraternities where it's like we actually are here to like do a certain thing and not just like get fucked up all the time.
Speaker 2: I feel like those are.
Speaker 1: Those seem like they're more like your traditional frants.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, yeah, and like the and the really cool thing I appreciate about that, You know, what you're talking about the club is that we would get people that, you know, they weren't music majors, they weren't anything like that, but say they played the guitar for a little bit, or they we had one guy because we had to do this like selection process where people had to show like what music meant to them or like they would play something, perform something. We had a brother, a guy who's a really a friend of mine, bringing his record collection and just kind of go through each record and kind of talk about why he appreciated and why he listened to them, why you brought it in?
Speaker 2: Cool?
Speaker 7: Yeah, it was, so what what was your experience with opportunity, like when you went rushing, Like I'm guessing you went to a couple like house parties on frant Row or whatever. But like that pushed away for you.
Speaker 1: I met like one guy and we kind of became friends. But I just just like never they they kind of I don't know, I just didn't like the vibe. I wish I had a funny story or something like that, but I kind of gave my my little spiel and you know, I'm not. Yeah, it wasn't. It just wasn't for me. But uh, you know, you find your friends. That's the thing is you kind of you go to you go to school. You gotta give like an effort forth to find your friends, and you gotta have a thing like having like comedy or music. It's great to have a thing, you know, and then you can kind of find people around it. What's your name again?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: No, I thank you for your thoughtful commentary on that email. Have a good rest of the day.
Speaker 7: Hey, real you too, thank you.
Speaker 1: Let's see, I'll take one more. I'll take another call from here.
Speaker 10: India.
Speaker 1: Hello, Hello, Hi India. You got any thoughts on these emails?
Speaker 10: Yeah? I don't really have any thoughts on the first one because I was never in the trats eternity scene of any of them. Nah. I think like for the the one where the girl is going to be like quitting nicotine and like all of the resolutions and stuff, yeah.
Speaker 1: Please, I bailed out on advice for that one. So if you could give this girl something that would be great. Yeah.
Speaker 9: Absolutely.
Speaker 10: I think situations like that it's it's maybe like a form of like addiction that has to be carefully monitored. Like I have a friend that's also going through that, like trying to quit like nicotine and weed after smoking every day since she was like fifteen, But like it's a feat and like for situations like that, you really, like I think it's really easy to give up when you try and look at like the whole picture of and be like, god, when am I going to ever stop like smoking? But it's like day to day and like hour to hour, Like what are activities you can replace with like smoking weed or like having nicotine in your life? And like I know that like those activities aren't gonna have the same like fix that like smoking does, but it at least like kind of starts to rewire your brain to figure out, like I don't know, filling your time in different ways? Does that make sense?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Have you ever had an addiction that you've replaced with something more positive?
Speaker 10: God? Not necessarily that That's why it's hard. I can't like have any like really personal advice with it. Sure, but like I don't know, I have like things that I've gotten really into, and like I don't know if it has to do with mental health and stuff. I think it's like, really you have to be really deliberate with like how you spend your day because you could just like bedrot for a week, or you could just be like, fucking I'm gonna like go on a ten minute walk. But that takes a lot of willpower. Like that's hard. But like creating that routine is so fucking hard. But once you're doing it, it's like, Okay, I can do this.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: Hey, thanks for sharing India. I'm glad. Yeah, I'm glad.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you could chime in on that one because I did kind of bail out on it.
Speaker 2: But I think everything is saying is good.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it's it's it's personalized. It's a hard one. It makes sense that you're bailed out.
Speaker 2: I thank you India.
Speaker 10: Yeah, of course I have a good one.
Speaker 1: By Okay, this is from one subject line. I've got the N word pass and I'm white. Uh okay, So for context, I grew up and I'm in South Africa listening to a whole bunch of American hip hop and rap from a young age. Even at school, both primary and high school, I would use the N word in normal conversation. Amongst most of my guy friends. We were never taught that the N word is a word solely that African Americans use, and that's saying it is a no no if you are another race parentheses, unless you've been given the pass.
Speaker 2: Lol.
Speaker 1: I and many of my friends would throw around the word like it's an old friend. Are you insane? My friend? You just referred to the N word as an old friend. That's so funny, And neither of us felt any guilt, and not one of my dark colored homies taught us to stop using it. We were all familiar with how how bad the word is due to its cultural and historical significance in America and among African Americans, but neither one of us grew up being told not to use it. Or being reprimanded from it. By the way, the province has an eighty two percent Zulu population and a seven percent white population. So not only were most of my friends black are exposure rap, American culture was always through music, where most words were used in a positive homie connotation. I still use the word today amongst most of my friends, and although I will never use the term with strangers when I'm overseas, I won't stop using it because why should I stop using a term that is only contextual amongst Americans. It was American media which taught me to call my homies my eye. He actually wrote, I'm like you almost he almost got me to say it.
Speaker 2: You wrote it.
Speaker 1: You give it, you know, give me some you know what. I'm a little pissed off at you want, because I'm just reading this email. You gotta put a dot dot dot or so. You gotta give me something to look ahead. You know, you gotta warn me or else I'm gonna you know, all right, you said I've never used it with strangers or when I'm overseas, I mean, fucking I'm like, I don't know, yeah, I mean, probably don't use it overseas or with strangers. Or else they might get mad at you. I don't know where in South America do you? You're in the What is I'm gonna sound like an idiot?
Speaker 2: What is Zulu?
Speaker 5: Is that?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: Let's see? Okay, yeah, uh, I you know what.
Speaker 2: Look here's the thing. Look, I'm not I'm not. I'm really truly.
Speaker 1: Not one to tell people. Uh, you know, Look, do whatever you want with your look.
Speaker 2: Look, look, here's the thing. One you're gonna do. Look one, you're gonna do whatever you're gonna do.
Speaker 1: But if you but but I maybe don't call the N word an old friend.
Speaker 2: If you're gonna make any change in.
Speaker 1: This section of your life at all, however small, maybe just don't refer to it as.
Speaker 2: Your old friend. I would say that.
Speaker 1: What was the chat? Say gak, why are you so shit at geography? Because I don't know anything? What is it?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 1: Someone said, uh, that's because in South Africa they had aparthid until the nine. Yeah, that's true, that's the thing. Someone said, my boyfriend thinks everyone should be allowed to say it. I disagree. Someone said, ghek, maybe he's using it to relate to people. All right, I'm going to read another email Okay, this is from Larissa. Subject line THHC saved my life. Hey Gek, Happy New Year. I love your show and I've been really enjoying this segment. I can't call you to talk about this, so this is my chance to tell you about it. I'm also come to Brazil? Are you saying that? As a you know what?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 5: Is?
Speaker 1: I One time I posted, like the first time I announced a tour, I got a lot of comments being like come to Brazil, and I got like hype. I was like, oh shit, I have all these like fans in Brazil.
Speaker 2: That's awesome.
Speaker 1: And then I was disappointed because I found out that that's like a popular internet meme and people just say it. So now I'm wary every time someone says to come to Brazil.
Speaker 2: Anyway.
Speaker 1: I'm twenty eight years old and recently discovered I'm autistic. For the past ten years, I've been misdiagnosed with depression and anxiety. Last year, I had a very rough time with work, got burnt out, got my heart broken, and basically my life fell apart, and I tried the S word. I'm lucky I had my own house and car, Otherwise I'd be living with my parents, had to drop out of work and take a good hard look at my life. After my parents came to rescue me, they thought substance abuse was the problem, but turns out I started to see a new psychiatrist and he prescribed me CBD against my parents' wishes, and then THCHC gummies. When I tell you my life shifted. I now go to medical school, have a pretty balanced life, and have been seeing my friends and family often. THCHC helps me stay in a good mood enough so that I can function without crashing out. I get the buzz, and then I go to work. This gave me the perspective to realize that I wasn't really happy. I actually wanted to be a doctor for the longest time, and with this new chance in life, I could do it. I mean, I am going to go in almost two hundred and fifty thousand dollars of debt, but the world's ending anyway, so who cares. It's so fucked I you know, yeah, God whatever, I'm not gonna go on a student debt rant.
Speaker 2: I used to.
Speaker 1: Attach myself emotionally to people in order to feel something and have something to look forward to, and now I can do it daily without the emotional stress. I've decided staying single. I've decided to stay single as romantic involvement fucks up my brain chemistry. But even this past year with treatment, I've been having better and less harmful experiences with people, which is good when the horny kind of loneliness hits. Oh boy, don't we all know that horny? Don't we all know that very specific horny brand of loneliness. It's like pepsi max, but uh, horny loneliness. Anyway, I would love to hear your thoughts on this and experiences how weed affects her daily life activities. I notice it gets people to either chill and do nothing or chilling get things done. I'd love to buy you a drink or roll you a joint when you're in a rio. Okay, so you do live in Brazil. Get bless. Yeah, yeah, we've been talking about that. I think we talked about this a lot on the last episode, about like weed and stuff. This is cool. I like hearing an email from someone who with like zero apologeticness is like, oh I love weed. Weed's a positive force in my life. Okay, here's here's the thought I've kind of been having in my brain about weed is like I think, I don't know how true this is, but I think like everything in life is about the shame of it and is about how you feel it fits into your life. And sometimes I'm smoking weed and I'm really high and I'm just really high, and I'm thinking to myself, I love weed, I love of getting high. Getting high is awesome. Everything I want to keep getting high. I enjoy the place that weed has in my life.
Speaker 2: This is sick.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna keep doing this, and I'm just like, you know, I'm not resistant. I'm not like smoking weed and then going, oh I shouldn't be doing this. Oh I don't I should I don't want to need this and whatever. I'm not like, I'm not what's the word. I'm not disapproving of myself or shaming myself for doing it. I'm like actively embracing it, which is kind of how you should do all things, because if you're gonna fucking do something, you might as well be you might as well feel good about doing it. Like there's no there's no there's literally no point in ever doing anything and then being like this fucking sucks, you know, what I mean, like, if you're gonna do if you're gonna do something, you might as well feel good about it. So if you're gonna smoke weed every day, you might as well while you're smoking weed every day, be like, oh this is great. I love weed. And so that's kind of how I've been thinking about it lately, and I'm trying not to be too much of a fucker about it. Like usually when i'm getting high, I'm trying to do something productive. My favorite thing to do on planet Earth is to just get really high and.
Speaker 2: Go for a long walk.
Speaker 1: So that's why I do, is I get really high and I turn my phone off and my computer off, and I just go outside and i'm and I'm walk for like two hours and it feels great. And uh yeah, I mean I think that's it. It's just like if you feel good doing it, and you accept that you feel good doing it, and you don't like, I don't know, notice that it's making your life worse. But if every time you're doing it, you're like, oh, fuck, this makes me anxious, this makes me lazy. I shouldn't be doing this, then you know there's something to pay attention to. Uh, I'm glad that weed has been been good for you.
Speaker 2: You know, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'm like weird about like I don't know SSRIs and like so abstances as a way of fixing mental health.
Speaker 2: But that's me personally. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I every time I hear that people uh who've had success with that, I'm I'm I'm my skepticism. Wane's all right, the secophone call from Mike. Mike, you got any thoughts on these emails?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I think weed is definitely pretty interesting and it depends on your relationship with it. Oh, give me a sex all right? So yeah, I was a mechanical engineer and I smoked weed before like every test, and it helped me focus like immensely. I don't think I could have Oh yeah, for sure, I would take dabs and ship yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh right, really are you on?
Speaker 3: Are you?
Speaker 2: Are you on the speakerphone?
Speaker 8: Yeah? Bro, I forgot about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, take me off a speakerphone?
Speaker 11: Is that better?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay, what we're saying.
Speaker 11: I'm just saying that I would smoke dads before like super hard exams and like nineties and stuff. But it's different for everybody, you know what I mean, so it depends on your relationship with it and your your not your work ethic, but your schedule, I guess with it.
Speaker 5: M M.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You know it's so funny because I I think I've talked about this before, but like I used to when I was growing up and like first start smoking weed. I had like a friend and she would get really high and do her homework and I was like, dude, what, like, what.
Speaker 8: Are you talking about me? Bro was yeah, sure.
Speaker 1: And but it's funny because I really, I honest to god, it's just such a thing of like it affects everyone differently because I could never fucking do that. I there was a guy I've probably told this story on the podcast before, but I'll tell it again.
Speaker 2: I was hanging out with my.
Speaker 1: Friend's brother and we were in New York and he's like at the time, he was like trying to become an actor in New York and he was talking to us about this audition he was gonna go to in just a sec. And he was like, this audition, man, this is for a huge part. This you know, it could be a lot of money. You know, it could really be like a career making audition, Like you know this is a really really important thing. It's for this movie, and and and then and then he's about to leave to go do this audition and he takes the biggest, milkiest bong rip I've ever seen, and he walks out the door and then he like fucking like gets the part, and I'm like, what the fuck? Like I could never do I just could never do that. Like I'm every you know, every once in a while, not I really everyone's different. I like I don't want to like sometimes I used to have a hard and fast rule about like getting high and doing this podcast.
Speaker 11: I've known in the past a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's yeah, I'm not high right now, but I don't get I I don't get high when I do get mail because I can't just I can't be high and uh fucking read, yeah, read and and come up with my own thoughts. But like, yeah, it slipped a little bit and not a lot, Like I I maybe am high one out of every like ten of these fucking podcasts.
Speaker 6: I've noticed that you kind of that's the thing that I always said in college and my friends, I use it as a tool, and I've noticed you kind of do that, Like when the stream's kind of like in a roll or like you need to kind of like change your frame of mind for a second. Should take a Benjamin real quick.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've never ever, ever, I never ever would do it during any of my live shows because that would be to fucking terrifying, you know what I mean.
Speaker 11: Like, uh yeah, shoot, what was it? Certain stuff? And like, uh man, I can't even remember what I stopped for.
Speaker 6: I guess the last thing.
Speaker 11: I can think of is like sports in high school was like I want my lungs to be good for like section finals or something. M So I stopped for like a few weeks for that. But oh into jobs, a couple of jobs because engineering ship, I had to stop for a couple of times. But yeah, I'm not like the same way if if I can't go in there like which is ripped, but like not really ripped, just like.
Speaker 1: Oh d your hold on your phone? Your phone's sucking up whatever you're doing with it.
Speaker 8: Oh is it good now?
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, it's better now I'm on Wi Fi calling because I'm not in the I'm a good service actually, But yeah.
Speaker 11: I can relate to that guy, But I can also relate to people that like go through periods of time. I definitely go through periods of time myself where I'm like abusing it, you know what I mean, And it's like I need to go on a walk like you do or something instead to get like.
Speaker 8: Out of that habit, you know what I mean. So there's definitely a.
Speaker 11: Balance with it with everything in life. Like you could you get carried away eating donuts and things like that, but that doesn't mean you should give up donuts for life in mind.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it would be funny though, if you like had to eat a donut to like do your homework.
Speaker 11: I mean, dude, I had roommates like that.
Speaker 8: They would have knocks like ready on deck to do homework. I'm like, dude, I can't get my fingers all sticky while I'm holding my pencil. But I feel like everybody's got their own the own way, right.
Speaker 11: I want to say, be careful with what I'm saying and.
Speaker 8: Don't use it as like a confirmation bias for people that are actually struggling and it's affecting relationships or whatnot.
Speaker 2: What's your name again, Mike? Mike? Thank you for calling Mike.
Speaker 11: Yeah, thanks for taking my call. It's been a long time. A long time fans.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Mike. Oh crap. I hung up on him when he said take care.
Speaker 2: But that was that was that was.
Speaker 1: Now I'm enjoying these phone call I'm enjoying this, this format of the show. This is fun, This is nice. I feel like it makes things a little bit more pointed. I would say, Okay, I'm gonna read one more email and take one more call on this, on this on this show.
Speaker 2: Let's let's read one more email. Okay, all right.
Speaker 1: This is from McKenna. Subject line I am a horse girl.
Speaker 2: Hi Gek.
Speaker 1: First of all, Happy New Year. I love listening to your podcast. Well, I'm at work now to get into it. I just recently moved to a big city. I won't say which one, but it starts with a B and it's in Massachusetts, after finishing college and getting married to my husband, who I love so much. I also just started an office job not long ago. It's boring, but it's mostly okay. The issue is that I am a horse girl. I rode horses from eight to fifteen years old, and then I got depressed and just sort of stopped all my hobbies. But the past few years I have been really wanting to do it again. I never had the time or money before, and now the problem is that I live in an area with a lot of people and not a lot of horses, so there are no barns near me. I also need to buy all new equipment to take lessons, which would not be cheap. Should I drive forty plus minutes out of the city and save more money to ride an animal sometimes or just find something else to do? Please advise?
Speaker 2: Thank you?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: Should I drive?
Speaker 4: For?
Speaker 12: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I mean, if it's something you wanted, if it's look, here's the thing you just said. It depends on how much you want to do it, right. I can't really answer this question for you, like if you if if if you really want to do it, then like I wouldn't. I wouldn't let h having to save up some money and having to go drive forty minutes stop you from doing something that you really want to do. Like if like ask this, ask yourself how badly you want to do it? And if it's like on a scale from one to ten, it's like an eight, then that's worth it. If it's like a four, then nah. If okay, here's if I were to just answer this simply ask. I would ask yourself how badly you want to do it, and if it's at least a seven out of ten badly you want to do it, it's worth saving up money and driving out of the city for Okay, we're gonna do one final call. Someone said hobbies cost money, no matter what. Yeah, but some are more I mean we had a guy talk about race car driving. Some are more expensive than others.
Speaker 4: A Michael.
Speaker 2: Hello, Hello, Hey, what's up man? You got any thoughts about any of these emails?
Speaker 4: I was talking about the horse roller email. I think you should continue her passion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, go ahead. Why do you any Why do you think that?
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, if you're really passionate about something, I don't think you should just stop doing it, especially if she uh really wants here, you know what I mean.
Speaker 6: Mm hmm mm hmmm.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so too. It's like, well, somebody in the chat was like, all hobbies are expensive, but I don't think, uh, you know, yeah, if it's something you really want to do that and you know, and also also everyone has their thing they like to spend a little bit of money on. For some people, it's like a fucking crack cocaine, and if yours is riding boats on I think that's pretty good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's pretty good.
Speaker 4: That's a lot better than crack cocaine. You said it best.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Do you have any hobbies?
Speaker 4: I got one from fishing from time to time.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Is fishing expensive that that requires equipment and stuff?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, I do it pretty cheap, but sometimes it could be expensive if you know, like on the sea and everything. But I usually just state at all my streams like creeks and stuff that's not too expensive.
Speaker 2: Any other thoughts before we go?
Speaker 4: I'm no, not really, just glad to talk to talk to you.
Speaker 2: Kak, Thank you, Michael.
Speaker 1: Have a good night you too.
Speaker 2: I will do one more.
Speaker 12: All from advice Failian.
Speaker 10: Hello, Hey, what's something?
Speaker 1: Hey man, you got any thoughts about these emails?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 12: I wanted to go back to the weed thing.
Speaker 4: Is it too late?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: Please? Hit man?
Speaker 12: Okay, Oh my god, it's my favorite thing to do. But I've been taking a hiatus for the past year.
Speaker 4: And a half.
Speaker 2: And how has the hiatus been feeling?
Speaker 8: What's awful?
Speaker 4: Dude?
Speaker 12: Like everyone's talking about like doing it all the time, and like I think this year I'm gonna get my shit together and start doing it again.
Speaker 2: What what do you mean? What do you mean? Get your shit together and start doing it again?
Speaker 12: So like it was something that took up too much money in my life, you know, like I was spending way too much money on it, and like I gotta be an adult and like be better about my adults and stuff. You know, there's stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I feel like, I don't know, it's interesting, it's interesting. I feel like this is a common trope on the podcast. You're kind of hearing about people's relationship with weed, and some people swear by it. Some people are like, you know, uh, it's ruined my fucking life. But I mean, how in your in your hiatus, is there anything that you've like, like, has anything positive been gleaned from it?
Speaker 12: I'm gonna be honest with you, man, not really. I got diagnosed with the ad D and the aughts and all that, and I realized that actually really helped me out a lot more. I'm a lot more creative. So, like last time I got high, I came up with the idea for a YouTube channel, and I was I finally executed it.
Speaker 2: Great kick ass.
Speaker 12: I'm outside of an alien costume. By the way, like driving by waving at me.
Speaker 1: You're in an You're outside in an alien costume right now?
Speaker 12: Yeah, just to take your phone call?
Speaker 2: Why are you?
Speaker 4: Why are you?
Speaker 1: And you put on an alien costume just to call me?
Speaker 12: Yeah, man, I I wanted to come to Earth and help people out like you are, but I was gonna do like actual advice idiots.
Speaker 4: I've been.
Speaker 5: I like that.
Speaker 1: I like that idea. I hope that you uh, I hope, I hope. I hope that idea brings you much happiness.
Speaker 12: HOPI soo too, man. If you come to Seattle, I'll open up for you.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, man, you take care too, bro later all right, folks. Do I have anything else to say about anything at all? Let's see. Do I have anything else to say about anything at all? Nope, I don't think. So Everyone be good, everyone live life. Let me know in the look look if you look, let me know in the comments. If you have any thoughts about this podcast, the people who listen to it, If you have thoughts about this podcast, if you have things you want to see, ideas for little segments, anything like that. I'm trying to switch it up. I'm trying to come up with new ideas. I'm trying to make things more fun for myself. I'm trying to make things more fun for the listeners. So you know the Spotify Cause Comments section, leave a comment. If you listen on Spotify, if you watch on YouTube, leave a comment. If you want to be part of the get mail segment, you could send an email to therapy Gecko mail at gmail dot com. That's therapy Gecko mail at gmail dot com. If you want to be part of the therapy Gecko gek mail segment, and if you want to call in, you can go to twitch dot tv, slash lyle forever and give me a follow there and then you will probably get a little notification that will pop up when I'm streaming. And uh, that's it. Thank you guys for listening to this thing, and uh I will I will see you all around the universe. Oh yeah, and I'm gonna be a fucking oh. Also another thing, I don't know. I don't know the logistics of this, so I don't want to promise anything, but if you live in Japan and uh you would come to a live show or even just like a meetup maybe I'll do something like that. If you like live in Japan, whether you're Japanese, you're like an expat or something. Uh let me let me one of the comments. If you'd come to a live show or a meetup in Tokyo U, and maybe I'll do something like that.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you all, get bless.
Speaker 1: And uh, I don't have a I don't have a I don't have another thing to say.
Speaker 3: Goes on the line.
Speaker 6: Taking your phone calls every night.
Speaker 1: There beIN kid goes to his ride.
Speaker 6: He's teaching you a loud the of your life, but he's not really an expert.