Speaker 1: Welcome to Good Game with Sarah Spain, where we make every day National Girls and Women in Sports Day, and we give every event a women's sports slant, even the Super Bowl. It's Thursday, February sixth, and we're coming to you from the home of Super Bowl fifty nine, New Orleans. On today's show, we're bringing you not one, but two interviews straight from Radio Row. We chatted with Michelle Beadle, host of Beatle and Decker, and put a women's sports spin on some of the biggest Super Bowl stories of the week. And we grabbed ESPN's Munich Times in between her one hundred or so NFL shows to talk Poe boys and the fragile nature of pro locker rooms. Plus the face of the league is on the move, a unanimously impressive accomplishment, and do your shoes have an apostrophe?
Speaker 2: It's all coming up right after this Welcome back slices.
Speaker 1: We'll get to all the New Orleans fun, but first, here's what you need to know today. In the WNBA, we've got another jaw dropping free agency move courtesy of one of the quota quote faces of the league, two time WNBA champ Sid Colson, who's played with the Las Vegas Aces since twenty twenty two, is signing a one year contract with the Indiana Fever.
Speaker 2: Her agent told ESPN.
Speaker 1: Colson is just the latest name to sign with the Fever in the offseason, joining Natasha Howard and Dewana Bonner. A point guard, she's expected to back up Caitlyn Clark. She played a similar role for the Aces. She averaged less than ten minutes a game the last three seasons, but always drawing high praise from her teammates for her leadership and her locker room contributions, along with, of course, her social media antics. Aces star Asia Wilson bemoaned the loss of another teammate, commenting on social quote, have you seen the rest of my teammates?
Speaker 2: There will still be cake this year.
Speaker 1: I already got the design end quote with a picture of the cake she got her teammates for Pride Month. The cake read hooray you gay with a pair of scissors on it, and sid Colson called her an a apostrophe lly ally too much to the NWSL where news broke on Wednesday that the league will pay five million dollars to create a play compensation fund, part of a settlement following a joint investigation by three attorneys general from New York, Illinois, and Washington DC into allegations of abuse that were brought to light in twenty twenty one. Money from the fund will go to players who experienced abuse. The settlement also mandates that the league maintained safeguards that were put in place in twenty twenty two, following two investigations that documented widespread misconduct across multiple teams. In a statement, NWSLPA Executive director Megan Burke said, quote, this investigation was initiated by the NWSLPA because players refused to stay silent in the face of systemic abuse. The human rights and civil rights violations they endured were enabled by a system that failed in its most basic duty to protect its players. This settlement not only acknowledges those failures, but for the first time, establishes enforcement mechanisms under the law to hold nwsl accountable and to prevent future harm.
Speaker 2: End quote.
Speaker 1: If you want to know more about the settlement, we'll link to a story on the topic by the athletics meg Linihan, whose reporting in twenty twenty one helped uncover years of abuse. More nwsl News a new doctor series about the twenty twenty four NWSL playoffs has been greenlit by Prime Video. The series will follow Orlando's championship run and promises behind the scenes footage of big moments.
Speaker 2: No word yet on a release date, though we'll keep you posted. More soccer, We've got our.
Speaker 1: First new name pronunciation from the newlywed soccer Girlies. Here's the star formerly known as Lynn Williams on The Women's Game podcast, introducing herself using her new name and sharing why she made the decision to change it.
Speaker 2: And I'm Lynn Biandolo.
Speaker 3: So, Sam, you wrote that wrong, but I'm coming to you from my new city, Seattle, new city, new name baby.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I originally wasn't going to. And then when I was having my father daughter dance, we were just dancing and talking and he brought it up and he's like, and I think you should change your name on your jersey. He said, this is the family you chose to be in, and Marley's an incredible person, and so I think you should just change your name. And I was like, Okay, instant tears. Obviously, besides one other family in the congo, anybody in the world who has the last name Biandola will be like directly related, So I think that's really cool.
Speaker 4: Wow, beautiful story behind the name change. Also b in Dolo not buy in Dolo noted saved in the brain. I'll get it right next time.
Speaker 1: To a little basketball in fashion where the weight for Asia's A one shoes is nearly over Asia's signature shoes, launching with a bright pink colorway. We're officially unveiled on Tuesday and will be available for purchase in May, unless, of course, you're Don Staley, who has already posted picks rock in the Shoes. The collection will also include slides and apparel. You can listen to the ACES Star sit down with Badass actress and writer Lisa Ray to discuss the development of the line, and you could also check her out with a senior footwear designer for Nike Basketball on The Athletic Women's Basketball Show, where they discussed the design process, science versus style and more.
Speaker 2: We'll link to both those in the show.
Speaker 1: Notes to boxing, shout out to Claressa Shields, who captured the undisputed heavyweight title over the weekend thanks to a unanimous victory over the previously undefeated Danielle Perkins, with the windshields, became the first boxer of any gender in the four belt era to become undisputed champion across three different weight classes.
Speaker 2: Finally, a reminder that.
Speaker 1: The college softball season begins today with a bunch of ranked teams in action, including number two Florida, Number three Oklahoma, and number four Oklahoma State. Will link to the schedule and tune in info in the show notes.
Speaker 2: So while we're talking.
Speaker 1: Asia's shoes and WNBA moves, much of the sports world is centered in New Orleans for the Super Bowl. And while we don't cover the NFL here on Good Game, we do need to be in all the places that the biggest.
Speaker 2: Sports shows, companies, execs, and athletes are.
Speaker 1: Super Week is not just about football, NBA players, WNBA players, big name coaches, comedians, actors, and celebs of all kinds make their way down to Super Bowl Week and go to radio row, the parties and the events. Now in the past, when the sports world gathered in one place, it was usually just male athletes and shows that covered them. But we need to get women's leagues and athletes and shows into these spaces too. So here we are Ruben Elbows on Radio Row and spreading the gospel of women's sports. And while I'm here with Ihart women's sports for the first time, I'm still seeing the same stuff I saw on Radio Road that I have every other year when I came with the ESPN, actual shows making interesting content and side shows like I don't know comedian Bert Kreischer cutting it up or the shirtless old Spice guy making the rounds. I'm also, of course, having a little fun in New Orleans while I'm down here. Last night, I did take some advice from a handful of folks who chirped in with some New Orleans res. I grabbed a frozen Irish coffee from Aaron Rose, which I highly recommend, and I got an espresso martini at the Carousel Lounge, where the bar slowly spins as you're drinking, which makes it kind of tough to tell if you've had too many. As you're walking up to it, you're like, oh, it doesn't move, and then you sit down and you're like, oh, okay. I asked one of the bartenders and they said the longest they saw someone sit there was three to four straight hours, which no, thank you. I'll take a couple spins around the carousel, and then I headed off to wander the French Quarter.
Speaker 2: I ran into all sorts of friends.
Speaker 1: I noticed how many Christmas trees are still lit up in all the bars and hotels here.
Speaker 2: It is February.
Speaker 1: I feel like in Chicago this is happening a lot too, like straight through February, maybe into March.
Speaker 2: I want to.
Speaker 1: Judge you people because it seems strange, but also whatever brings joy during dark times, I say, do it.
Speaker 2: So Christmas trees in February, why not.
Speaker 1: I'm going to have lots more Super Bowl shenanigans from the days to come, but we got to take a quick break. When we come back, we'll hear from Michelle Beadle, who dropped some Super Bowl adjacent hot takes straight out of the oven.
Speaker 2: It's next joining us now.
Speaker 1: She hosts Beatle and Decker weekdays from noon to three pm Eastern, non serious XM's Mad Dog Sports radio channel. You know her from Sports Nation, NBA Countdown, Get Up, NBC Sports Olympics coverage, and that time that we faked save Linda Cone from a rattlesnake bite on a hike in Arizona.
Speaker 5: It's Michelle beadle ps that still lives on the internet.
Speaker 2: I found it and I'm never going to let it go. If you want to google it, you can.
Speaker 1: We were being silly and funny and stories were printed and Ran CMZ asked about Michelle sucking rattlesnake bite out of Linda Cone's leg.
Speaker 2: It did not happen if we think it happens, if we believe that, if it's on the internet, it's real. It's real. I haven't seen you in forever. It's nice to see you. You too, like on a nice, humid New Orleans. Yeah.
Speaker 1: We both were just like, yeah, we can't even try with the hair. Might as well, why we have makeup on what we've been doing. I tried and then immediately pulled it back, like Monica when she went to Tropical Island.
Speaker 2: I'm getting like more and more Gilda Radner by.
Speaker 1: The second, All right, did you get into anything yet? Bars, restaurants, parties, dinner last night?
Speaker 5: Because it started at six, which is in my wheelhouse, and I'm back in my room by eight thirty.
Speaker 2: No, I'm like, I don't have it in me anymore. I don't care.
Speaker 1: I started drinking it four yesterday, so I could have two drinks, one at four, one at five, eight, dinner at six thirty, and I was in my room by eight thirty.
Speaker 2: Do you remember, like years ago we do these things and you're like, I'm dancing at two. I am no.
Speaker 1: I mean, I might still find it in me at some point this week, but it's hard.
Speaker 5: I just I don't care anymore. And my bandwidth for being social is very small.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and let me tell you, working in the women's sports space almost entirely for the last year and a half.
Speaker 2: Yeah, coming back here, I have a little PTSD.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 2: I'm like, oh, I forgot. I forgot about some of this.
Speaker 1: Like I sat down at the bar yesterday and the guy was I was just chatting with was like, oh, go to this bar. I met the owner. He's Greaty's showing me the card. I'm I go cool, and then he goes or you can go to this place. And it was a card for a strip club with like giant knockers on it. I was like, yeah, all right. I took about five minutes for this to get weird. I am at the super Bowl.
Speaker 5: I get because I was gone for like what two years. Basically from any work. And so my first one of these was last year, and I just I kind of just was slinking in and slinking out.
Speaker 2: I'm not there yet. Here now it's weird to be back, but also good.
Speaker 1: You do talk some WNBA on your show on Beatle and Decker.
Speaker 2: How has that been.
Speaker 1: Have you had to do convincing to get the mainstream dude world to want to talk about it? Because it feels like this year we finally had a break yo.
Speaker 5: God, Yeah, you know what, it was weird about it and my my, my feeling is still this, Like was the argument about put it this way, the mouth breathers that ran to the defense of Kaitlin Clark that didn't.
Speaker 2: Really care about the sport itself.
Speaker 5: While obnoxious and boring, but it also opened up a lot of doors and a lot of eyes. And so I keep saying, you know what, they exist. People got here. Maybe it wasn't the coolest journey, but they're here now and a lot of them stuck around. And what I've noticed, so like when I do the Fandal Show with Chandler Parsons and lou Will, lou Will coaches his daughter's AAU team, so he is like entrenched in the women's world, like his daughter's love the w NBA, so he's he's like a bigger.
Speaker 2: Feminist than most.
Speaker 5: And then when I do the radio side, what I've noticed is a callers legitimately are in and they'll always start the conversation.
Speaker 2: Like I've never watched a single WNBA game, which, by.
Speaker 5: The way, that's fine, that's that's the majority. But now I love it and I love watching the games, and it's been really I'm a cynic, So I was shocked, to be honest, Well.
Speaker 1: I think to your point, and this is what I've always said when I was doing shows like Around the Horn or other places, if people don't have any information because they haven't done any work, you can't create an argument or a debate about it. And ultimately that's what drives most of those kind of shows. Even Around the Horn that has a lot more nuanced and thought to it, you're still ultimately tossing up a question for me able to have an opinion about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you can't have an opinion if you don't do the work.
Speaker 1: And you can well, but you're right. We actually saw that a lot during the WNBA season. Plenty of opinions for people who weren't watching and didn't know anything. But but it did give you this very easy sort of Caitlin versus angel. I mean, are they being mean to Caitlin or do you not know what you're talking about?
Speaker 2: Whatever?
Speaker 1: It was at least something that opened a door in the conversation, and then it made it easier to like get people to at least get interested.
Speaker 2: And then once they watched, they were like, oh shit, yeah, we've been missing such fun. Yeah, this is fun.
Speaker 5: These women are like they're badasses and they they talk smack, which I mean all the things that we love the men's game for.
Speaker 2: It's there. Most people like it unless they're unless they're misogynists, they're being mean. Yeah.
Speaker 5: And by the way, and that was a thing that I had to keep saying, it's same thing with women refs, right. I kept saying, please don't run to their defense. They don't want you to. They don't want you to say a woman reugh a women basketball player.
Speaker 2: They are players and they are refs. Like they don't need your help.
Speaker 5: I know you want a white knight into this thing, but we're good, right, And so yeah, like it's and could it be more predictable. We're gonna pit one woman against another. I was just like, course, do whatever it is you gotta do. These women don't care, and I want there to be some a bit of like competitive pettiness because I like it at all my sports.
Speaker 1: Well, also, that's what we've been crying for in the NBA. Yeah, like why is everyone friends? No one hates each other anymore? That what happens in the WNBA, and people are like physical and competitive, and.
Speaker 3: We're like, why do swim money exactly have a pillow fight instead.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we're a women's sports show, but we're not above getting into the hot takes that are taking over Super Week.
Speaker 2: So we're gonna do them in our own special way.
Speaker 1: Okay, we have Philadelphia Eagles versus Kansas City Chiefs on Sunday and want your take on the hot takes.
Speaker 2: But with a twist.
Speaker 1: Okay, So the Chiefs are looking for their third straight Super Bowl. Yeah, fourth and five years. Some folks are kind of tired of it there. It's boring, it's repetitive, it's bad for the game. People used to say that Yukon women's basketball was bad for the game to dominate others said, you know, they bring eyeballs. They give folks someone to know or someone to hate. Yep, they set a standard for the rest of the league to catch up too. So, whether it's the Chiefs or Yukon women's basketball, are dynasties bad for sports.
Speaker 2: It's a good one.
Speaker 5: I suppose if you are a fan of a dynastic organization, then you would say, no, I love them. It is funny that we're like, we love greatness until the greatness has been around too long, and now we hate it because I find myself like, weirdly rooting against a three pet and I don't know why, Like, are there particular aspects to like Chiefs world, maybe spouses or brothers that I'm like don't want to hear from anymore. Yeah, sure that's not enough for me to be rooting against them, but I don't think so. I mean, look, as a San Antonio Spurs fan, we had a dynasty for a while, and so if I sat here and said dynasties were awful for sports, I'd be a hypocrite.
Speaker 2: But I get it. I get the boredom fammables fans, thank you. I can't hate on it.
Speaker 1: Wild Some of the greatest dynasties of all time, and that's what we like.
Speaker 2: Talking about years down the road.
Speaker 1: In the moment, though, it feels a little bit like, yeah, I wish the Bills were here and we could be talking about that.
Speaker 2: I mean I do wish. Yeah, Like there's a couple other teams I'd like to be talking about. Okay.
Speaker 1: So Jason Kelcey, Eagles legend, retired after last season. He said he's publicly rooting for his former team.
Speaker 2: And not for his brother, Travis Kelcey and the Chiefs. So fair or foul.
Speaker 1: Rooting for your former team instead of your sibling who's still playing.
Speaker 2: Who you work with on a pretty decent sized podcast.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, look, they are just that's a healthy sibling relationship. It's like like I have two siblings, one I talk to, one I don't. And Travis and Jason remind me of my brother and me because I would do the same thing. We get along so well. We're like best friends. And yeah, publicly i'd be like I'm running against you don't care.
Speaker 2: Do you believe them? No, not at all. I don't at all. And we've seen the videos of his daughters, like loving Travvy so it's kind of like I get it.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think a lot of people are rooting for the Eagles just because it's a feel good story. Like Jalen Hurts has been waiting for this moment. Say Quon Barkley was rejected by a team that he wanted to stay. It's got all the makings of like good tears.
Speaker 2: But we'll see. Yeah, I ain't holding my breath. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, if you're healthy enough, relationship, you know, Thanksgiving, he will survive.
Speaker 2: If it's tenuous, you gotta lie public. Yeah, yeah, And then it feels like a little bit bit bitterness. Okay.
Speaker 1: Steve Spagnola, defensive coordinator for the Chiefs legend defensive coordinator. He's coached four top ten defenses in terms of yard and she's won four Super Bowls. Only coordinator offense or defense in NFL has to win a Super Bowl with two different franchises.
Speaker 2: The only to win four Super Bowls.
Speaker 1: In that role had a little, quick, unsuccessful stint as head coach of the Saint Louis Rams rip back in twenty two, thousand and nine, twenty eleven.
Speaker 2: But now it's sixty five.
Speaker 1: It kind of seems like he's going to ride out his career as a defensive coordinator in success. Okay also sixty five Chris Daily, assistant to Gina oriam at Yukon. She arrived with him in nineteen eighty five. She has spent thirty nine seasons in stores. She has been there for all eleven championships fifty nine conference titles. She's already in the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame. But Wow, seems to be content as an assistant as well. So is a legendary assistant career as valuable as a legendary head coach career or is.
Speaker 2: There always a bit of an asterisk?
Speaker 5: I think because we live in a society where we're never really content. First of all, it's a eye opening and refreshing to find the place to be just comfortably.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I'm good with him and successful.
Speaker 5: I mean, how many of us are like, even though we have a great thing going, we're like, well, what's next?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: And they always say everyone's like one job above the one. They're like, they just keep getting promoted until it's like oops.
Speaker 5: Yeah, more than others just kept failing up. But in this case they're not failing they're actually kicking butt where they are. I kind of love it. And yeah, there will be some people who sort of are on the on the superficial level of the knowledge of everything that will always think, well, why didn't you do it at this level?
Speaker 2: But I think there's nuance there if you're aware, no one's ever gonna look at spags and be like, yeah, but what couldn't have it?
Speaker 5: Yeah, And if I'm him, I wouldn't want to go try that again. You're in a great spot where you could potentially do this I don't know, six more times, which is terrifying.
Speaker 2: But yeah, no, be happy where you are.
Speaker 5: It takes wisdom and age to finally figure out like it's okay to be happy with what you have.
Speaker 1: Well, and also I think the idea that we only valued the very top of the pyramid and we often neglect to understand how important the other pieces are. I think we're going to for sure see that with like the Lion's potential next season. Yeah, with Dan Campbell losing almost this whole staff, what does that look like? Here's but okay chiefs kicker Harrison butker our favor, I'm sure here we go, he said during media availability this week. He has nothing to apologize for when it comes to a college commencement speech he gave last May, including encouraging women to be homemakers, deriding birth control and homosexuality, and referencing quote the tyranny of diversity, equity and inclusion. We got a few high profile women in sports, including Notre Dame Hooper Han Hidalgo, US women's national team player Corman Albert, that have similarly promoted.
Speaker 2: Homophobic views God have hid a little bit behind their religion.
Speaker 1: So our high profile teammates responsible for publicly calling out problematic folks? Or are we okay with public support as long as their private conversations happen or there's some sort of debate or effort to talk to them behind the scenes.
Speaker 5: Well sure, theoretically, wouldn't that be fun if we thought they were like, let's go grab a coffee and talk about life.
Speaker 2: But we know that's not happened.
Speaker 1: Harrison said that this speech led to lots of meaningful conversations with teammates.
Speaker 5: I'm going to puw look again, you and I have had our fair share of loud public spats with what we have deemed the wrong side of things and I stand by those so for the same reasons that I feel free to say what I wanted to say.
Speaker 2: You can do whatever we want.
Speaker 5: The ramifications, whatever they may or may not be, he will deal with. He seems to be very proud of his quote unquote religious stance. But we've seen it so many times, Like it was only last season when Miles Garrett publicly was like, Deshaun Watson's been a like a stellar teammate and a great citizen.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, yeah, but no, he hasn't.
Speaker 1: But also, you don't have to say that that's You can just say he's my teammate and we support each other in the locker room, and I'll leave it at that.
Speaker 2: You don't have to say he's been a stellar human being.
Speaker 5: And you don't oh someone blind loyalty they are their colleagues or coworker.
Speaker 2: I mean, have we had to defend all the people we've worked with, No, and no one would expect us to. Now do I have to go out and say everything I think about him. I also hold back a little bit on that.
Speaker 1: I remember writing a story about this because it was interesting how nobody's stepped to defend Colin Kaepernick. But everybody will step to defend a teammate accused of domestic by rape, sexual assault like that bro kind of bad logic will stand in those spaces when it's a woman versus man, or it's one of those kind of issues. And when it's something like standing up against police brutality, everyone shrunk back and didn't want to say.
Speaker 5: A word no, and the voices that were loud were like, those were not the ones I expected to come forward. So funny Colin Kaepernick came up yesterday as well, which makes me happy. I was like, I want that to always come up, still come up forever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, especially with the end racism in the end zone being removed.
Speaker 2: So did we end it though? Is that? I think?
Speaker 1: I think it's let's take everyone, yeah, oh being told racism has ended.
Speaker 5: I read that yesterday and I was like, cooluations.
Speaker 1: Somebody put a big banner on a US naval ship, I mean accomplished.
Speaker 2: Like, look, is it silly? Yeah? Is it all silly and performative?
Speaker 5: Yes, But when you say you're ending it in these times where we're ending a lot of things, it just felt.
Speaker 2: Very likely sends a message but different. Getting love is lover something I think.
Speaker 1: No, no, definitely not choose choose love ah yes, heterosexual please okay? Final most important question. Travis Kelsey was asked me plans to give girlfriend Taylor Swift a ring if they're in the super Bowl. He sidestepped it by answering super Bowl ring. Next question, so fair or foul asking a pro athlete about their love life their marriage plans.
Speaker 2: I hate it.
Speaker 5: I hate the idea of a And somebody was like, he's gonna propose. I was like, she's a billionaire and the most famous person in the world. Do you think she wants some commoner type proposal in the middle of a bunch of drunk riff raps.
Speaker 1: She's the only person that a proposal during the Super Bowl would not be good to know.
Speaker 2: I would be angry.
Speaker 5: I'd be angry on her behalf. No, it is It's just silly. It is almost laughable that Taylor Swift gets talked about the same way like just some normal chit walking around.
Speaker 2: It about like what are we doing? I will say this.
Speaker 5: He does handle the questions like it's remarkable how she's.
Speaker 2: You, and the way he talks about her is very refreshing, Like he leads with like she's so smart. I'm learning so much and I'm like, I love Travis.
Speaker 5: That's cute, though exactly like she's opened up a world.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Actually, she writes poems and shitt words as a show that has short segments that are called like hoops engay shit for the enga shit, where we talk about all the ladies that are you know, galpals on teams. We like to pry a little bit, but only when offered the information. We don't do the dig in. We're not asking who's proposing to whom. But when we find out when they post the selfies with the rings or they show themselves on vacation, we're like, oh shit, those two okay, we're into it, like we allowed them to bring the goss to.
Speaker 5: Us because I don't because at the end of the day, I don't care and I don't need to know.
Speaker 1: But it's also really kind of unfair to be like, well, you're famous of football, which means we get to ask you your favorite sexual position.
Speaker 2: Wait all stop, what happened? But also what is it?
Speaker 5: But also just while we're here, since we've already put it out in the world.
Speaker 2: And that's how she was My last question for you my favorite. No, I don't like sex, so next question, I'm over it. Well, you're in the wrong place because Radio Row is chock full of talent. Look at it, look at sexy vibes all around us.
Speaker 1: Always great to see you, Beatle and Decker. Everybody listen and continue to fight the good fight. Get those WNBA combos on there weekdays. New to three Eastern non series XMS Mad Dog Sports Radio. Thanks so much to Beatle for stopping by. We have to take another break. When we come back. We'll break a couple of rules for a fave. It's Menichimes.
Speaker 2: Okay, we have Amena.
Speaker 1: Chimes drive by. I have no questions prepared. I don't have her bio, but you don't need it. She is the queen of all things NFL on ESPN, The Mena Chimes Show Featuring Lenny with Lenny featuring I didn't know what kind of billing he was getting these days, featuring that's her dog. We have rules on this show. Everything has to relate to women's sports, which you don't cover. But everybody loves Mina Kan so there will be no protestations from anyone if they get to hear from you.
Speaker 2: What's your Super Week, Look like, what are you doing?
Speaker 6: We have NFL live somewhere like in the French Quarter, I believe on Thursday and Friday. I first take Thursday morning. I just taped my show, The Menicime Show featuring Lenny here, and that's pretty much it. It's kind of it's weird. It's like, spend so much time thinking about one game. Yeah, and then it goes back really quickly and yeah, it's over.
Speaker 2: So Lenny is not here. I'm guessing Lenny's not here.
Speaker 6: He also, we just had a live show in LA for wildfire relief. He didn't make it out. People were a little disappointed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it feels like he's said it derelict in his duties.
Speaker 6: It's like like Beyonce, you know, when you like watch an award show and you're like waiting for her to perform, and then she like shows up late, or like she just shows up, it doesn't perform.
Speaker 2: I guess that's kind of Lenny's or doesn't come at all, not till like it doesn't come at all. Not just humble brag.
Speaker 1: But I on a Peabody and Beyonce won the same year for Lemonade, and we were right next to each other in the program, and I spent the whole time being like, what she's coming, she's gonna be and absolutely not, Uh okay, so Mina.
Speaker 2: I'm curious. I asked Michelle Beatle this question as well.
Speaker 1: We took the Super Bowl hot takes and we converted them to be like similar to women's sports. So people used to always blame Yukon for ruining women's basketball because of their dominance. Now people are saying the Chiefs are making the Super Bowl boring and redundant because they keep coming back.
Speaker 2: Are dynasties bad for sports? Dynasties are not bad for sports.
Speaker 6: I felt this way about Yukon when I had to live through a million segments about that.
Speaker 2: Do you remember how always it was the only time we talked about it.
Speaker 6: And that rhino right, and then like the Warriors happened the uh you know. The famous season was that twenty sixteen or twenty fifty, I can't remember, And people brought up Yukon in comparison with them, but it was I think a great case study for like people were so engaged with the NBA that season, and it was a reminder like, actually people really like it when there's a dominant team because it's fun to see if anyone can actually take them down. And that's reflected in like people love to hate the Chiefs right now, and it's a good thing for the sport. I don't think that it's such a good thing that the NFL is contriving to put the Chiefs in the super Bowl, but I do think it's good for the sport.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what about we talked about Harrison Butker and his relationship to female athletes like Hannah Hidalgo from Notre Dame and Corbyn Albert for the US men's national team, people who have publicly shared homophobic views. Do you think that their high profile teamates need to talk about that publicly and call them out or are you okay with the tendency to do the locker room.
Speaker 2: Like he's my gun and I got to support him. He's a good dude.
Speaker 6: You never see like I would say now I've been covering the league for about a decade or whatnot. Politically in either direction, you rarely see teammates speak out with regard to things other other teammates are saying. It's very unusual or you know, good or bad or and I have often wondered about that, but I do think it's a lot of it is about sort of the delicate ecosystem that is an NFL locker room and maintaining that.
Speaker 1: Or locker room of any kind really one of the few places where you put a whole bunch of people who may disagree about a million things and you have one shared goal.
Speaker 2: So you have to figure it out.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and I think that there are plenty of his teammates who have different views, but it for you know, you just almost never hear any sort of descent come out of a locker room.
Speaker 1: Yeah, except for interestingly, when Colin Kaepernick protested, there were a handful of players who were willing to denounce his actions and speak out against it.
Speaker 6: But there were also players who actually spoke up, so to that point, it was a very unusual situation in both directions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know, what's your top suggestion for New Orleans that I have to do before I leave? Oh my gosh, you already hung out with Stu Gotts from the Dan LeBatard Show, So of course that's on my.
Speaker 2: Yeah, really give food there.
Speaker 6: It was on It was somewhere near Bourbon Street. It was near le Feet Blacksmith, wherever that is, and it was like a Poe Boy place that was open late po Boy.
Speaker 2: Killer po Boys. I love was that it? Okay, I love those.
Speaker 6: That's not what I can't remember was called I'll send it to you, but I you gotta have Poe Boys, Okay, okay.
Speaker 1: I even found a vegetarian version at that killer place, so that might be what I do. Mina times drive by. Thank you so much for the time. Enjoy your big Super Week, super Queen of Football. Thanks to Mina for coming by. Okay, you know we love to hear from you, so hit us up on email good game at wondermediaetwork dot com or leave us a voicemail at eight seven two two oh four fifty seventy and don't forget to subscribe, rate and review. It's real easy, y'all. Watch the NFL removing end racism from the end zone for the Super Bowl rating minus infinity out of five stars.
Speaker 2: Review.
Speaker 1: The NFL is replacing end racism in the end zone at Caesar's Superdome in New Orleans ahead a Sunday Super Bowl with the platitudinous Choose Love. It'll be the first time since twenty twenty one that end racism won't be on the field for the highest profile, most viewed sporting event of the year. Now, the actual weight and work that the league was putting behind the message end racism was always a little questionable, you know what, with end racism sitting right above the Kansas City Chiefs team, name a team whose fans still do the tomahawk chop as a celebration. But it was better than not making the statement at all and an NFL spokesman's trying to cover up saying choose love is quote appropriate to use as our country has endured in recent weeks, wildfires in southern California, the terrorist attack here in New Orleans, the plane and helicopter crash near our nation's capital, and the plane crash in Philadelphia.
Speaker 2: End quote. That statement just happened to come.
Speaker 1: The same day a White House official told NBC News that President Donald Trump will attend the Super Bowl. Hmmm, President Trump will be there and end racism will not coincidence? We think not a pretty pathetic display, an unnecessary cow towing, and to be honest, exactly what I'd expect from a league that likes to pay lip service to issues that affect the sixty six plus percent of the players that are minorities, while continuing to prioritize white team owners. Now it's your turn, rate and review. Thanks for listening, See you tomorrow. Good Game, Michelle, Good Game, mina few executives who bow down Trump. A Good Game with Sarah Spain is an iHeart women's sports production in partnership with Deep Blue Sports and Entertainment. You can find us on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you.
Speaker 2: Get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Production by Wonder Media Network, our producers are Alex Azzie and Misha Jones. Our executive producers are Christina Everett, Jesse Katz, Jenny Kaplan, and Emily Rudder. Our editors are Emily Rutterer, Britney Martinez, and Grace Lynch. Our associate producer is Lucy Jones and I'm Your host Sarah Spain