Speaker 1: Daniel Jones said goodbye to the Giants on Thursday. Today he went goodbye. What does his release mean for the Giants and could we see him playing in another uniform this season? We will tell you the latest on Danny Dimes, Jameis Winston has breathed new life into the Browns or hoping last night's win could snowball?
Speaker 2: Do you get it?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 2: Seriously, do you get it?
Speaker 1: Brian Baldinger is gonna be here to break down how Cleveland took the Steelers down and what was the deal with those Justin Field snaps. Meanwhile, it is Harbaugh versus Harbaugh on Monday night and Justin Herbert versus Lamar Jackson.
Speaker 2: How does Jim get his first win?
Speaker 1: And will the loser wrestle the winner to the ground?
Speaker 2: I would watch that fight on Netflix.
Speaker 1: Welcome Inside with the Insiders alongside Ian Rappaport and Mike Girafolo. I am I'm Tom Pelicero. We shook up the snow Globe for the start of Week twelve last night. We will get into all the big matchups on Sunday and Monday throughout the course of this show, but let's start out with a guy who at least for the next few days. Here does not have a team because Daniel Jones asked for and received his release earlier today, mere days after he had been demoted all the way to third string, with Tommy Devitos set to make his first start of the season this week against the Buccaneers. The owner John Mara put out a statement earlier today saying that Daniel came to see me this morning and asked we would release him.
Speaker 2: We mutually agreed that would be best for him and the team.
Speaker 1: Daniel has seen been a great representative of our organization, first class in every way. His handling of this situation yesterday exemplifies that we were all disappointed in how things have worked out. We hold Daniel in high regard and have a great appreciation for him. We wish him nothing but the best in the future. Here is what Brian Dabele had to say on the firm end of the Daniel Jones era.
Speaker 4: This was not a you know, this is not an easy situation when things happened like this, and again he came in this morning talk with mister Marra.
Speaker 3: Again.
Speaker 4: They had their discussion. We talked, thought it was best for him to be able to do that. You know, he put a lot into it and he's a great young man. It's never easy.
Speaker 5: Do you think this is the best for the team.
Speaker 4: Yeah, looks, you know that's we had good conversations. Those are in private. He's been nothing but a pro and got to get ready to play here.
Speaker 2: We've talked about it all week.
Speaker 1: Their financial ramifications to the Giants moving on from Daniel Jones at this stage, but the football ramifications really can't be argued. Three and thirteen since the start of twenty twenty three, the Giants were with Daniel Jones in the lineup. His numbers across the board among the worst in the NFL. So it's going to be Tommy DeVito starting this week.
Speaker 2: Ian.
Speaker 1: In terms of Daniel Jones and his future, he is subject to waivers. Any team claiming him would owe him eight figures and guaranteed money, So pretty good bet come four pm Eastern time on Monday, he's going to be a free agent.
Speaker 2: So why now and what's next?
Speaker 6: I do not expect Daniel Jones to get claimed. That's not a surprise. I don't think anyone expects him to get claimed. It's not just the money this year It's also the same issue, frankly, that the New York Giants had the twenty three million dollars guaranteed for injury next year, which actually goes to why the Giants agreed with Daniel Jones' request to be released today. And look, just let me go back for a second the way it was yesterday with Daniel Jones. I know, people talked about him being the fourth string quarterback.
Speaker 2: He was not.
Speaker 6: He was no string. He was not going to play, He was not in the depth chart. He was no string. He was just someone who was there at practice, there in the weight room. If he had got injured, that would have been bad for the Giants, either in practice or in the weight room. It did not make sense for him to be there. The Giants, from my understanding, gave him the choice.
Speaker 2: This was the choice.
Speaker 6: He chose to be released and tried to go play somewhere else, so it didn't make sense for him to be in the building. They obviously moved.
Speaker 2: On for him.
Speaker 6: If you're gonna move on for him at the end of the season, just move on now. So yes, Daniel Jones is expected to be a free agent Monday. And then it gets really interesting because rarely, rarely do you have an experienced veteran quarterback available halfway through the season or a little more. In fact, it almost never happened. You have you know, guys like Jay Culler or whatever available before training camp, but almost never like this. The Baker Mayfield situation is the only one I could remember. Daniel and Jones is not perfect. It was the right thing for him and the Giants to move on. But for someone this year, he is expected to be an option to quarterback and that is when it's going to get really interesting for him and his future.
Speaker 5: Mike, Let's clean up a couple of loose ends.
Speaker 7: Daniel Jones addressed the media and addressed the fan base just yesterday. The reason for that is that he knew that there was a chance, whether it was the scenario that Ian painted where he just went away or was released, which is what happened today, that he was gonna be gone in the near future, and he wanted to say goodbye to the Giants franchise and to the fan base, and he did it in a classy way with that statement and also taking questions. So good on Daniel Jones for that. Remember, just a couple of years ago. By the way, John Marrow was the one who said, we have done everything we possibly can to screw this kid up, meaning we kept turning over head coaches, we kept turning over offensive coordinators, and he wanted to see him get an extended period in the same offense. Obviously, it didn't work out, and nobody was happy about that in the end. But go back also to earlier this week when Jones was out there as the scout team safety and during a walkthrough that is a common thing for players who are not the frontline starters. You need bodies out there to line guys up. The Giants didn't ask him to do that. He volunteered to do that. They said, we need a show team out there. He just walked right out on his own, wanted to help in any way that he possibly could, knowing that he wasn't getting any reps in practice or in the game. So Daniel Jones handled this with class all the way through. So I'm not surprised then that when he went in and asked John Marra, given their history and given how he handled things this week, the Giants said, Okay, you know what, We're going to grant you that release.
Speaker 1: Just to be very clear too on the salary cap ramifications. If they waited until the start of the twenty twenty five league year in March, they could have split up the dead cap hit Instead, they released them now, which means the full twenty two million dollars dead cap hit hits in twenty twenty five, Daniel Jones is off the books entirely in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: If that seems like.
Speaker 1: A big number, it is, but Daniel Jones viewer on the roster would have counted upwards of forty millions. They actually save close to twenty million dollars in cap space, and they will of course need it because now the New York Giants are officially in the quarterback market.
Speaker 2: The forty nine Ers are not.
Speaker 1: But they're going to have a different quarterback out there on Sunday against the Packers. This was a surprise and really an evolving situation through the course of the week, Kyle Shanahan announcing just a short time ago brock Perty is out for a huge game on Sunday against the Packers at lambeau Field because of an injury to his right shoulder. Here's what Kyle Shanahan sad to say.
Speaker 8: I don't want to say there's long term concern. You know, we got to MRIH on Monday. We thought he just needed some rest and really weren't concerned about him not being good this week. But when he started up Thursday just surprised him, surprised us how it felt.
Speaker 2: So he had to shut him down.
Speaker 8: And so I really don't want to think of it. You know, the MEMRII doesn't look like that, so it should be all right. But on the way it responded this week, it's really up in the air for next week, so we'll have to see on Monday.
Speaker 1: My understanding is ian this is not anything that is expected to require surgery. They're certainly hopefully he's back next week against the Bills, but they also thought as of Thursday, as you're sure Kyle Shanahan say that he was going to play this Sunday. You're talking about a throwing shoulder. These things can be a little bit unpredictable.
Speaker 2: What do we know?
Speaker 6: Yeah, described mostly as soreness, which you know, you could sort of say, oh, he's just sore. But when it's your like you said, when it's your throwing shoulder, when it's a quarterback, when he's got to throw a lot, not just in a game, but in practice. Getting reps soreness to a throwing shoulder can be a significant deal. And so brock Purdy not going to play this weekend. You know, Kyle Shanahan was pretty transparent. That does seem to be the way it transpired. You had some tests, everyone thought, yeah, he's probably gonna be okay, just needs to respond well, and then it didn't respond well. Which is why for those of us who talk about injuries all the time, it's sometimes tough to pin down when a guy is going to be able to get out there, when he's going to be full speed, when he's going to just be able to warm the thing up and go, because some of it is determined by just how you feel. Clearly did not feel good enough. You could sort of see when he didn't practice hardly all on Thursday. This was headed in a bad direction. So no brock Purdy on Sunday. Brandon Allen, who you know, does have experience, has been out there, has been out there for the Bengals and for some others.
Speaker 5: We know.
Speaker 6: Kyle's Shanna insistent is an excellent one we have seen over the course of the years, several random quarterbacks, not saying Brandon Allen is random, but several random quarterbacks go out there and do it. Another opportunity for the forty nine ers just to stay alive in this thing and somehow do it another time without one of their big times stars.
Speaker 7: Yep, if Joshua Dobbs as well as well as Tanner Mordecai on the practice squad, so they could have a transaction coming up tomorrow. We shall see elsewhere with the forty nine ers. Nick Bosa not going to play. He's got that hip injury which led to the oblique on the other side now injured on both I feel like we've seen a ton of oblique injuries, more so than usual this year.
Speaker 5: Nick Bosa one of them.
Speaker 7: And you knew when he couldn't finish the game the other day that it was pretty bad, so not surprising he's missing the next game. Trent Williams, though, remains questionable, despite the fact that he didn't practice this week. Trent Williams a tough guy, so you know he's going to do anything he possibly can to be out there.
Speaker 5: We'll keep an eye on his status with his ankle.
Speaker 7: You will get no sympathy from the Packers because they'll say, yeah, we're without Jay or Alexander and the forty nine Ers in the past have gone on the road in one games with guys injured. Just gonna have to do it again here against Green Bay.
Speaker 1: Tanner Mordecai, by the way, played six college seasons Oklahoma, SMU and wiscons When Mike says a name that I can't quite job where exactly, I know a lot of people go to college for six years. They're called doctors. That's not the only injury impact in the games coming up here in Week twelve, A big one for the Eagles. DeVante Smith didn't practice all week because of his hamstring.
Speaker 2: He is out for Sunday's game.
Speaker 1: Isaiah Pacheco still working his way back from that ankle injury.
Speaker 2: He also is going to need another week.
Speaker 1: According to Andy Reid, DeAndre Swift and Keenan Allen who turned an ankle in practice. They're both listed as questionable. Matt Ebrinflu's made it sound like he's hopeful Alan's going to be out there, but the injury just happened today. Will monitor that and Mike Evans talked to the media he certainly sounds confident that he is going to be able to play after missing the past three games because of his hamstring injury. Another one to two monitor as Week twelve, rolls on, Hey, we.
Speaker 9: Talked about being resilient. Resilient doesn't give a Resilient doesn't care. Okay, Resilient just worries about what's in front of them. Okay, how about what was in front of us? We're up eighteen six, and then the fourth quarter, all of a sudden, we're down nineteen eight, And what do.
Speaker 2: We need to be as a team? Resilient?
Speaker 9: And you only do that together, You only do that as an offense, as a defense of the special teams. Okay, I told you to expect to win this game. I told you to have your conviction exceed your doubts. And what I saw from this group in that fourth quarter was our conviction was so strong we were not leaving without this.
Speaker 2: Win as a team.
Speaker 9: Tell us that is a great, great team win, and I appreciate this group.
Speaker 5: Team on three one two three.
Speaker 1: Big win for the Browns coming off thereby, and a fun post game right here. Next time that one of the Harbor brothers says, who's got it better than us. I think the answer is Jameis Winston. Is anyone on the planet having more fun right now than Jamis Whitston, And of course Whitworth and Sherman and the entire crew get into the act with him right there, Mike. You know, for the Steelers, obviously this is a tough loss, but for the Browns also, there was just this new juice that Jamis Winston brought into the building Ravalry game. It's in the snow, It's on National TV, and they gutted this one out.
Speaker 7: If you win some games down the stretch, it's only going to add fuel to the fire. For what should the Browns do that kind of conversation with the Shawn Watson, especially coming off an achilles, They're gonna have to have the own their own conversations inside the building as well.
Speaker 2: And you know, Ian, you put this to bed last night.
Speaker 7: We had our show on NFL Game Day kickoff talking about Kevin Stefanski that it was highly unlikely that he is going anywhere, and this team's gonna play for him down the stretch. And they still have really good players all over this roster on both sides of the ball. So you're looking at. They played Denver, they play Pittsburgh again. They've got Baltimore coming up. They've got Miami like teams that are Cincinnati as well, teams that are either in the playoffs, on their way to the playoffs, or trying to get into the postseason. They're gonna have a tough time dealing with this Cleveland team, maybe not every week, but down the stretch here, because they showed that they're still out there and they're still playing hard.
Speaker 5: And credit to the fan base for still showing up.
Speaker 7: Al Michaels and the Kirk kurch feet did a great job of giving those folks credit, especially in those conditions, for showing up and for staying the entire game.
Speaker 6: I mean, could have put some shirts on if they're really gonna do it. I mean, the shots of those dudes, big old bellies, no shirts. Meanwhile, I'm like sitting on the couch with like, you know, I gotta blanket on and I'm all cozy, and those guys are anyway. So here's what stood out to me in this game. Obviously, great win for the Browns, and you know, listening to Kevin Sabanski talk about the resiliency of his team. You're right, they got some guys there. They're gonna be an annoying team to face down the stretch. We'll see what they end up playing for gonna be an annoying team to face.
Speaker 5: Down the stretch.
Speaker 6: For me, though, this as it pertains to the Steelers, there's such a thin margin forrer and obviously so much has gone right for the Steelers, and Russell Wilson had won all the games since he became a starter, and there was so much good there. But you go out and maybe don't one hundred percent player. Best of Russell Wilson's stats are good. Definitely made some plays, but they have to be almost perfect. When you're you're not a quarterback, good driven team, when your run game, when your defense and you gotta get pressure on the quart like, when it is not absolutely perfect, this can happen. And I would also say this, they had some We saw more last night of the Justin Fields package then we had. I definitely have some questions about that. I mean, Field is more than just a runner. It looked a little weird and disjointed. Obviously, Fields is talented. They want to get him on the field. It's it's got to work a little better than it did last night.
Speaker 1: Everything the timing of it just seemed a little bit off, and then obviously the third and fourth shot play with Justin Fields mean, he said after the game, felt a little bit stiff. He standing out there in the snow and then go in and play a snap or two. But listen, this is also how Mike Tomlin has kind of been pushing the evolution of this. Everybody questioned when he went to Russell Wilson, Now, it's why are you put in Justin Fields back out there?
Speaker 2: For some steps?
Speaker 1: I imagine this is going to be part of the experimentation process they go through the entire season here as they try to figure out exactly what they're going to look like, because they are going to be there in January betting the Ravens and the Chargers probably going to be there down.
Speaker 2: At the end as well.
Speaker 1: They face off on Monday night in a good one right across the street here at SOFI Stadium.
Speaker 2: Our Bridget Condon is going to.
Speaker 1: Be there, but first she'll be here right on set, joining me to break this matchup down next on The Insiders, Chargers and Broncos Primetime Thursday Night Football Week sixteen, Big game in the AFC West, Big game Monday Night for the Chargers as well. And for more on that here on the inside, let's bring in Bridget Condon right here on set with me, Tom Pilisero. When you look at this Chargers team, Bridge, there's so many things that seem to be headed a positive direction. The story of JK. Dobbins has been huge throughout the season. What's the latest there.
Speaker 10: He has been such a big addition to this Chargers offense. They needed that piece at running back the past couple seasons and now they have it.
Speaker 11: JK.
Speaker 10: Dobbins has scored at least two rushing touchdowns in two of their last three games. He leads the Chargers in rushing yards and rushing touchdowns, and he has a chance to do something huge Monday Night against his former team, the Ravens, the team that drafted him. He spent four seasons with Baltimore, but Monday Night, he could set a new career record for a season in touchdowns and rushing yards. He told me the season's been different one because he's been healthy, but.
Speaker 11: Also he says it's been special being able.
Speaker 10: To be a part of this Chargers team and help turn around the organization. They've already won more games this year than they did last season. He also said, though about playing his former team. You know, I had to ask him about that and he said, it's gonna be a little weird.
Speaker 11: He still talks to those guys.
Speaker 10: He called them his brothers, and he said, I know that they're gonna play me really hard.
Speaker 11: But in his words, and I.
Speaker 10: Want to get this quo right because I'm not saying this. He said, I gotta go whoop there.
Speaker 5: You know what.
Speaker 10: I don't think we can say it say it, but you know, if he's saying that, they're gonna have fun.
Speaker 1: Dickie albums always the numbers are always wild because his efficiency ratings, his yards per touch were off the charts. But torn acl a torn Achilles costume, basically two full seats now. Good to see him rolling here. Also rolling the Chargers defense. Jesse Mintter, the first year coordinator there, who Jimar Bob brought along from the University of Michigan. I had him on my Young Head Coaches candidate list just this past week. What everybody says about him is there's just there's so much substance there. He's so smart, he does very well, and he's really got that you to playing well.
Speaker 10: They have the top scoring defense in the NFL. When you think about where this defense was a season ago, they were bottom ten in that category. There are so many things going right for this Chargers team. They've won four games in a row. A big reason why is because of the way that defense is playing. Joey Bosa has three sacks already this season. He's healthy. I had a chance to catch up with him and he said, you remember, he's been on this team nine seasons, but he says this season feels different as a Charger than any other season he's ever played in.
Speaker 11: And I asked him why, and.
Speaker 10: He said, it's just because of games like that Bengals game on Sunday Night last week, when the Bengals came back and it looked like, oh, this is gonna be a Bengals chance to win tonight, and in.
Speaker 11: Seasons past, the Chargers would have lost.
Speaker 10: That game, but they found a way to hang in there, especially on defense, and win that game.
Speaker 11: And that's exactly what Joey Bosa said.
Speaker 10: He said, Look, you can tell us all these things, but it's kind of like a false sense of confidence until you have a game like that and you play a situation where you don't implode and let a team come from behind and win. And he's like, Jim Harbaugh has been telling us since the beginning, if we keep doing everything right, we have a real chance at something special.
Speaker 11: And he said, for the first time, they're starting to believe it.
Speaker 1: Huge implications in the wild Card chase in the AFC as much as anything. Monday Night, the Ravens Chargers right over there at SOFI Stadium, three.
Speaker 6: Hundred and sixty six pounds at the combine five point two seven forty yard dash, one of my favorite moments of the entire combine. Want to get to that in the second. You know who I'm talking about, body, You know who I'm talking about. I want to get to Baldy's ballers. I'm going to talk about Dayon Henley. First, I know he has been balling with the Chargers. Also former guest on The Insiders. Want you to tell me why you love this young linebacker?
Speaker 12: Well, first of all, he leads his team in tackles by a wide march. He's got ninety four tackles after ten games. Derwin James the second with fifty nine, so he never come off the field three the last four games, He's played every snap, every package. But you know, Bridget was just saying about the improvements on defense, and it starts with their tackling, and dayon, Henley doesn't miss tackles. I don't care if he's blitzing, if he's chasing, if he's covering. He's the leader of that defense right now, and they have desperately needed somebody from the linebacking position over the.
Speaker 2: Last couple of years to do it. He's just a same your player.
Speaker 12: Didn't get a chance to play much last year, but he is taking advantage of the opportunity this year, and he shows up everywhere ian Like. He is a every down player. Sidelined the sideline, he's a blitzer.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 12: He is uh, one of those energizer bunnies. I think that Hardball really enjoys coaching and watching them playing.
Speaker 6: Got a great story, great young player, and certainly one of the reasons that the Chargers are balling on the I love ball these balls.
Speaker 5: This is good, all right.
Speaker 6: I was so excited to talk about the big man.
Speaker 13: Uh.
Speaker 6: One of my favorite combine moments. One of my favorite moments of training camp when I was there with the Tennessee Titans, Watson, Tondre, Sweat just throw people around. I know you love him, Tell me why you love him?
Speaker 2: Well, you know me. His nickname is meatloaf, right, I mean that's a good that's a good nickname. Good one. But I like t pain like. He brings the pain. Ian like he can't get doubled. You don't move him.
Speaker 12: He gets off blocks, he sheds bluck and when he makes tackles, he just tosses him around like they're just like stuffed animals out there. I mean, him next to Jeffrey Simmons is a foundation to this defense. I think that anybody in Tennessee can really love. But I love his energy level. He's a guy that does it fatigue. He plays sixty five percent of the snaps. He's got pass rush to him. He collapses the pocket, he's helped out, you know, arden Key and Harold Landry on the edges and him and Simmons inside run these little twist stunts and whatnot.
Speaker 2: But to Fandre is t paint. He brings the paint in. I love watching the kid play.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna have to tell him that you came up with a new nickname for him. Well, we'll get into he's gonna be He's gonna be here for a while. We got plenty of time, Baldy, Thank you very much. Don't go anywhere. I want a little bit more from you, especially when we're talking about last night's snowfest. Look at Nick Chubb. I mean, is there there was a good storyline coming into this game about Nick Chubb coming to face and make it fitz Patrick first time since its injury. Chubb took it upon himself to change the story. So much more on that and everything else as it pertains at Thursday Night coming up.
Speaker 1: Next, Steelers undefeated with Russell Wilson's they're starting quarterback entering Thursday Night football. Let's talk about the real star of the show, the snow Can you even see russ in there?
Speaker 2: Can we talk about the face?
Speaker 14: Hey?
Speaker 2: Hash marks out there now? Russell got that one.
Speaker 1: Been a long time since they score a touchdown hit Calvin Austin that gave the Steelers a.
Speaker 2: Nineteen eighteen lead.
Speaker 1: But back come the Browns, Nick Chubb powering into the end zone his second touchdown on the night. Mike Tomlin, it says here on the shot set. He's not happy. I can't tell.
Speaker 2: Can anyone see him?
Speaker 1: Did anyone see anything on the field? One last gasp for the Steelers. Russell Wilson gets absolutely demolished. George Pickens is trying to rip Greg Newsom's head off. The ball falls to the floor. If the Browns win, and a big one for them over one of their rivals of what has been a really difficult season. Welcome back to the Insiders, Tom Pellisero, now join by our Brian Baldinger for this Steelers Baldy. They've been on this run and it would seem like the bounces were going their way last night. They did not, And there were also some curious decisions through the course of that game.
Speaker 2: Give me your breakdown. I thought so too, Tom.
Speaker 12: You know, you go back and you just showed the picture of Calvin Austin scoring on the twenty six twenty three yard touchdown pass and they go for two.
Speaker 2: Now they're up nineteen eighteen. You go for two, try to go up three.
Speaker 12: So they get a one on one down here Cardero Patterson, who they hadn't thrown the ball to against Grant Delpitt, And you thought, if you want the one on one outside.
Speaker 2: That's the play for George Pickens. That's what he specialized in, those.
Speaker 12: Jump balls, that contested balls, the sideline catches. To me, that should have been a play for George Pickens. I had questions about that one. And then later in the fourth quarter, with that lead nineteen to eighteen, they had a third and four. Justin Fields is in the game and he has not thrown a pass since oct Team and they have him throw this go route to George Pickens on third and four, in these conditions, in this weather and all of that. On third and four, that's your choice. I mean, there's three minutes and thirty four seconds to go in the fourth quarter. If you convert that third down, Cleveland might not get the ball back. And so I just thought that was an opportunity, you know, I mean, if you want Justin Field's quarterback option, run pass option, okay, but the spray fade right there to Pickens as a low percentage throw to begin with, But then when you put it in those conditions, in the blizzard that was going on, and the fact that Justin hadn't thrown a ball and well over a month, I thought that was a questionable throw on third and four.
Speaker 2: I would second guess that one.
Speaker 1: Justin Field's also said he felt stiff on the sidelines. He's standing over there, it's cold, it's snowing. Then to come in and make that throw. By the way, also throws like that. The downfield passing game is the reason they went from Justin Fields to Russell Wilson. I would imagine, though, this will be an evolving process here in terms of how they get fields on the field for the rest of the season. Thank you very much. The Browns have not changed head coaches in a while. The Steelers really have not changed head coaches in a while. We already got a couple of vacancies with the Jets and the Saints. Here's some of the notable coaches to watch. Joe Brady has revived himself his career and that Bill's offense this season. Thomas Brown taken over a good week last week with the Bears, and Caleb Williams, Ben Johnson. Of course, Jesse Minter we talked about him. Anthony Weaver a couple of good interviews last year. Keep an eye on that name. Jim Murney, the sun of the late Steelers chairman Dan Rooney joined our Juda Batista on Thursday.
Speaker 11: Navias that your father's name is on the Rooney Rule, and be still talking awful lot about the Rooney Rule. Every January seems to dominate our conversations.
Speaker 14: It hasn't been perfect, but I think in many ways it was the keystone to get everyone to start saying, Okay, we have to do something more than talking about this problem. And now you see, you know, at the beginning of the season we had a high water mark of nine minority coaches. You have a significant increase in terms of coordinators, particularly defensive coordinators, special teams coaches. You now have women coaches at a rate that you never had before. You have minority and women referees on field. The general manager job has increased to eleven. So over and over again, you see some really good progress. But as you've been part of this conversation and the experts have also said, you know, I think there's still a pretty big concern when we look at the offensive coordinator position, and I think going forward, that's something we're all going to have to, you know, make sure we keep an eye on and address at some point, because that is the most common feeder path to becoming a head coach.
Speaker 5: So this is the coats what they put out there.
Speaker 7: These are called the Indiana Knights uniforms, which sounds like something that I don't know John Mellacamp would sing about, or maybe Tom Petty or Bob Seeger or maybe they all got together and wrote it together. Indiana Knight's uniform pretty cool, all blues with the black helmet.
Speaker 15: There.
Speaker 7: You know who's gonna be on hand to see them, my man Cameron Wolf covering this Lions Colts game on Sunday. The Lions, their journey to the top of the NFC, What has really defined them in your mind?
Speaker 5: Camp Yeah, Mike.
Speaker 15: I talked with their left tackle Taylor Decker, and he told me when Dan Campbell first got here, we had to stack wins and practice and meetings to actually feel his message coming through. It didn't translate to the win book. Then he said, last year in our playoff run, we prove we belong, and now we know we belong and we're trying to build something special and that ends in the super Bowl ideally for him. And I think you have to start with talking about the Lions with their head coach Dan Campbell, and I think a lot of people drew the headlines to the Biden knees early in his tenure, But as I talked to players, they tell me he's more than that, you know. Decker said, he's the best leader he's ever been around. Phenomenal, he said. One example is every week he calls a handful of players to his lock, to his office individually and sits with them for about ten minutes, talks about their journey that week or different troubles going on in their life. And he said, that's something I've never had and it makes us play a different way for him. And another thing that was made clear to me this week, this team has a lot of talent. Now the general manager, Brad Holmes has increased it tremendously. But when you look at their star players in the weapon group, whether it's Aman Ross, Saint Brown, whether Sam Laporter will be back this week, Jamis and Williams, David Montgomery, Jamiir Gibbs, if you put on the tape, they all block down field extremely well for each other. That's a testament for the Detroit tough culture and it's the reason why they're at the top of the NFC.
Speaker 7: Plus one fifty nine point differentially. You see at the bottom of the screen there they've played ten games. It's an average point differential fifteen point nine. I'm really good at the math. Fifteen point nine points per game.
Speaker 5: Camp.
Speaker 7: On the other side of this game, Anthony Richardson came back, played extremely well. Seems like he sat down for a little bit and did everything they needed him to do to kind of reset.
Speaker 5: Can it continue for more than just one game?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Mike, You're on the money.
Speaker 15: That version of Anthony Richardson we saw last week is the one the Colts drafted in mind fourth overall a year ago, and it really brought a level of energy back into the Colts building. They were on a three game losing streak. They benched their starting quarterback, and you talk to players there and they said the energy was down. But when AR got back into the lineup, it brought a youthful energy, the juice that they need. And then he performed the way he did on the Sunday. Talked to a couple of guys when he ran over the Jets defender for the touchdown, they jumped out of their shoes and excitement because that pure version of AR is the guy who they think can lead them, and when you look at the way he was able to have accuracy down the field, they can consider this growth from that benching. And I talked to their tight end Moley Cox, who said they detext Richardson after the benching and said, hey, you're to get your opportunity again. How you respond defines you. And then he texted Richardson again this week and say don't be content with just one week. See how you respond from there. Ali Cox told me Richardson's preps has been a lot better since he's been back.
Speaker 5: He's gotten into the.
Speaker 15: Building a little bit earlier. And he also said Richardson's been answering questions from Shane Stiken without a hesitation the last week or two, which is something that's showing just maybe his progress in studying as well. So a lot of the things they wanted to see in Richardson he's putting out there on the field, but they place a face a very tough Detroit team who has a talk to Carlton Davis, their cornerback, said they want to force Anthony Richardson to play quarterback, prove they can do it again, and we think that we can get some turnovers off.
Speaker 5: He did it the other day and he saw what we just showed it.
Speaker 7: When he is right, when he's on point, when he's confident, it is as pretty as it gets. I don't know that we've got another quarterback with this skill set, and that is why the Cults, even though they benched him, stayed locked in on him, said we're not giving up on him because the upside here is unbelievable.
Speaker 5: Let's see if he can continue for more than just one game.
Speaker 7: Cam Wolf will be there on Sunday ahead of the game on NFL Game Day morning to give you all you need ready for that game. Big game between the Lions and the Cults, Big game between the Packers and the forty nine ers. We told you about a bunch of players that aren't playing, but there's still a bunch of really good ones.
Speaker 2: That are going to play.
Speaker 5: Baldy coming back after this to break it down for you.
Speaker 6: So you're on a plane, it happens to be the San Francisco forty nine Ers team flight. You get one choice of who to sit next to. You want kittle 'ant McCaffrey. I feel like I would choose Patrick willis one of my favorite players growing up. Just tell me cool stories about crushing dudes in football games of past. I don't know that would be my choice. Where does Brandon Allen sit Baldy? Does he sit next to Brock Purdy, who, of course is traveling but not anyway. I got a lot of questions, Brian Baldinger, thank you again for joining us, and of course welcome back. You actually are going to the forty nine ers Packers game. You might see Rock Purty there. You're not going to see him on the There's a lot to look forward to for this game. What are you looking forward to?
Speaker 14: So?
Speaker 12: I mean whether black Perty was playing or not playing. Now Brandon Island probably will be starting. I thought the most important thing for the forty nine ers is to get Christian McCaffrey going, and he really hasn't gotten going yet. And he's played two games against Tampa in Seattle. He's had thirty two rushes. He's averaged three point seven yards of carry. Pretty pedestrian for Christian McCaffrey. He averaged five point four a year ago. But when you watch it like you really break it down here I in he said, seventeen of his thirty two runs have gone for two yards or less. They have not blocked well. I don't know that he's seen the field really well at this point, and they really missed George Kittle in the blocking game last week, who was out with the hamstring injury. So I think if San Francisco is going to go up there and take care of business, I think they got to get the running game going, and that means getting McCaffrey unleashed or maybe seeing more Jordan Mason. But everything that they want to do offensively has got to come off the run game. So I think that's what their biggest concern needs to be, and that's what they need to really execute with come Sunday at Lambeau.
Speaker 6: My head, Baldy, I was kind of thinking, well, maybe McCaffrey needs like a couple games just to get back in the flow. He's had those. It is time to row. He doesn't have his quarterback. We will see if this is a game for him to break out. Baldy, enjoy that one. That's gonna be awesome. Of course, thank you for hanging out with us as always. Coming up next, we're gonna talk about not just that guy, which is Caleb Williams. We're gonna talk about eleven other people. See it's week twelve. We got a dirty dozen, which, of course we got Adam Brank coming up to break down twelve things again because it's it's week twelve. Anyway, we'll explain. Coming up next on the Insiders.
Speaker 1: Time now for Repair and Replace, presented by Safe Flight Tom Peliso, join now by Adam Rank along with.
Speaker 2: Ian Rappaport and Mike Garafolo.
Speaker 1: Here on the Insiders, all right, rank every week you give us some some type of fantasy insights in this segment here today you got I'm told, a dirty dozen, dirty dozen placement parts.
Speaker 2: Fantasy doesn't sound quite right. I'm not going to lie to you.
Speaker 16: But the quarterbacks, hey, listen, fantasy football it's a war of attrition, and with six teams on a buy or perhaps you're in some sort of situation, you might need to find a player that you don't normally want to start. Last night, I was going into I almost started Jamis Winston, and I pulled him out at the last second, and I said, I got to go at the backup quarterback.
Speaker 2: There are three guys.
Speaker 16: Available on the waiver wire. Caleb Williams two, a tug of Ioloa, Drake May. The last two have high ceilings, but I'm going to go with Caleb Williams. And I understand this is going to be a little bit of a homer play. But the one thing that I really loved about the way the Bears played against the Packers last week is that they were getting the ball out of the hands of Caleb Williams very quickly and things like that. He was running with the ball. Coming into this season, I thought that that would be something that would give him the edge. He's certainly not the runner that Justin Fields is, but still, well, he's an accomplished runner, and when he took advantage of those running lanes against the Packers, he really made it work. And we do know that Brian Flores is gonna blitz this team. So if Caleb Williams can either escape the pocket get the ball out of his hands, he could actually have a huge game against the Vikings this week. So I'm streaming him. He's got the best thirteen points, that's how much Jami has had last night, and he's got a best at then I'll feel good about myself.
Speaker 7: All right, Let's go to the running back position rank. Who do we replace and repair, repair replace run.
Speaker 16: Safe light repair, safe light replace. Come on, we know the jingle.
Speaker 2: I got three guys. I'm gonna go with Cam Akers.
Speaker 16: Bucky Irving and Austin Eckler are great options this week, but I want to dive into cam Akers for just a moment, and he might think you you know this as well as anybody with the Minnesota Vikings as Cam Akers is starting to get like legitimate touches, not like, hey, at the end of the game, let's let's.
Speaker 2: Let him run.
Speaker 16: No, they're actually counting on him to be a viable part of their running game. He's had at least twelve touches in back to back games, and now he's going up against the Bears. We were just talking about this a moment ago. The Bears defense has been pretty good this year. They have not allowed a lot of points in a lot of games. What they have allowed is a lot of yards, especially.
Speaker 2: On the ground.
Speaker 16: I think back to a couple of weeks ago, the Arizona Cardinals had a great job having three different guys run like They had three guys rush for touchdowns for the first time since Gaynell Tinsley was on that team. Ernie Nevers. Sure who is the Goldberg guy who JJ Watt took his number out of? Well whatever, cam Akers is a viable start this week. Did you guys, did I not tell you cam Akers? Or were we supposed to go Bucky Irving? And I messed you all up in your way? You're waiting to roll the be role of Buck Irving. Buddy Irving's a great call. I still wanted to go with cam Akers, but I wanted Bucky Irving on the list and not Tony Poll.
Speaker 2: That's on me, my mistake.
Speaker 5: All right, we'll dry picture of them.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's fine. Look, we're all just trying to figure it out and make you it's a war of attrition. Mentioned give me some receivers instant, maybe you'll nail that order.
Speaker 16: They're getting in my ear right now, being like, this is the player you're supposed to talk about. This is my old Fantasy Live trick where I say the wrong player so I get to be on camera the whole time.
Speaker 2: We have three guys.
Speaker 16: We can go with Josh Downs, Roma Duns, but I will get off that game because I want to talk about Jackson Smith and Jigba, who has been one of the best wide receivers in Fantasy football over the last couple of weeks, and he's really the guy that we thought he was going to be coming out of Ohio State and over since Week six, he has been the wide receiver two in PPR leagues in Fantasy football. He's had at least twelve Fantasy points in back to back games. He's getting eleven plus targets in back to back games. They've really pivoted off Tyler Lockett and instead it's become Jackson Smith's job to go out there and get those balls. And this year or this week, excuse me, against the Arizona Cardinals, I do expect him to have a pretty big game. So Jackson's and Jigba. You drafted him late. People weren't quite sure if this if he was going to have a breakout year. But it's happening right now and it's pretty exciting.
Speaker 1: Last week I picked up Taysom Hill and then benched him last second when David Njok was here.
Speaker 2: Give me a way to fix the tight ends, and this time I'll actually use it.
Speaker 16: You know, it's interesting because taste Hill, that's a great pickup. But Will Disley has been fantastic for the Los Angeles Chargers over the last couple of weeks.
Speaker 6: You know this was the guy again.
Speaker 16: When you look at this Chargers roster at the beginning of the season, you didn't expect to have a lot of Fantasy production from these guys outside of maybe the running backs.
Speaker 2: But Will Disley has been amazing.
Speaker 16: Leads the team in targets and end zone targets since Week seven, the fifth most yards per route run amongst tight ends this season, and they got a great matchup against the Baltimore Ravens. I know a lot of people when you see the Baltimore Ravens you get a little skit. It's you're like, I'm not going into that hot lz no. But the Ravens have allowed the second most targets and receptions that tight ends this season, the second most receiving yards to the position is well, Will Disley not only is.
Speaker 6: A viable tight end.
Speaker 16: I was sitting there talking to this kid on the Fantasy Live show mere minutes ago, mere minutes ago, and I said, Will Disley is actually a flex option.
Speaker 2: You get to an extra seconds. Well, I got hey.
Speaker 16: I want to say congratulation to my U ten red lightning. We got the at large bid to Section eleven. We're going to the tournament, the three time champs.
Speaker 2: We got our bid.
Speaker 16: Hey, sorry everybody. I know there's a bunch of parents right now spitting out their drinks.
Speaker 2: Going, what yep?
Speaker 16: Back to practice next well after Thanksgiving, but back to practice, back to the tournament. So proud of these girls. I'm trying to say this without crying, but it's too late. The waterworks are starting.
Speaker 2: Tom. I can't help it. Wrong football in over ten seconds. But your cried. So that makes it all better. Rank, Thank you very much, Devin.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, that makes it all better. All right. I got some malarkey to clear up. I got some stuff. You guys are gonna listen. One of my career mysteries has now been solved. Let's go get the breakover with. I gotta get to this good one.
Speaker 1: In the late window Sunday, Cardinals and Seahawks, our Kurt Warners sat down with Seattle quarterback Gino Smith.
Speaker 2: Here's the taste and.
Speaker 17: There was nothing that stops Geno Smith. When the game was on the line last week against San Francisco, you went in, you made the plays to win. But I loved your quote afterwards where you said I was just out there smiling and felt like there was no pressure.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I remember.
Speaker 13: You know, a couple of years ago, I was watching Brett fav I caught onto this documentary and he was talking about, you know, when he was the backup and the starting quarterback got hurt and how he just felt like it was his time and there was no pressure, And you know, that's exactly.
Speaker 6: How I felt.
Speaker 13: No, I don't worry about what people have to say. It allows me to go out there and just play the game and enjoy the moments really like as a kid.
Speaker 2: Is like living out a dream.
Speaker 6: After the twenty seventeen season, In the twenty eighteen playoffs, I reported a couple different times that Titans were expected to fire Mike Morky, and then I got a tip from a very trusted and reliable source that he was actually getting a contract extension after a playoff run. I reported it. He was fired the next day. It has been one of the biggest mysteries of my entire career, and now it has been solved.
Speaker 14: Go.
Speaker 3: I knew they were going to fire me, so Sunday night, I called Ian Rappaport and I said, hey, I don't know if you know this, but I'm gonna break it. See it, but I'm getting it. I'm getting a new contract in the morning, and he reported it. It was all over the country. I was getting a contract in the morning, knowing that I was going to get fired, but I just wanted to see the faces on the owner and the GM who was out to get me, and uh, I'm pretty sure I got him for a minute or two.
Speaker 2: That's amazing. That is awesome.
Speaker 6: That was the Brenton Austin show in Action Sports. You know those guys yucking it up. Pretty funny for them. I guess if you don't care about accuracy and taking someone's reputation and rubbing it in the mud. Everyone said, Mike Mullarkey's a good guy. He always was to me.
Speaker 2: I liked him.
Speaker 6: Thought it was very respectable. That is not cool. That's not funny. I was a younger reporter then, and the amount of online hate and ridicule I got because Mike Mallarkey thought it'd be funny to get back at his old boss, it was not fun. So I don't have much to say. I don't blame Mike Mullarkey, but I want to and that was not cool, and that was not funny, and we should treat truth better than that.
Speaker 5: Mike, I agree with you.
Speaker 7: I also think that Ian has learned lessons along We've all learned lessons along the way, but modern day Ian would not have been a fallen victim to that.
Speaker 5: You learn hard lessons along the way. That was one of them. Yeah, not cool.
Speaker 6: I guess it's supposed to be a trusted source.
Speaker 2: See I'm sitting here and I'm like biting my lip because you're right, not cool. Don't do that.
Speaker 1: Don't lie to reporters, don't make them look bad. But it happened to Ian, so like it's a little funny. It's all as he's like, we got enough distance now it's been like six years.
Speaker 6: It's like it's been
Speaker 2: Maybe now, so yeah,