Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this episode of the twenty twenty three Emmy Nomination Trends. They're here, folks, Finally we've been waiting. I have literally nothing to say about these fucking things, but I am Jack Miles is out on the road today, but I'm thrilled to be joined by a super producer, Becca Roma. How are you doing? Back up?
Speaker 2: I'm great, are you, Jack?
Speaker 1: I'm doing fantastic. I mean, I'm excited. I have my next vacation planned based on the world's largest cruise ship, five times larger than the Titanic, which I forget how that one did. But no, for me, Jack, that's it's gonna be no on this one. It is set to make its debut in jan twenty twenty four. I believe it's called the Icon.
Speaker 2: We learn, you know, don't fuck with the Ocean. I just.
Speaker 1: That does seem to be the Ocean's take on things. As we're going to get into another story. We don't have any more fodder for the Summer of the Shark, but we got some fodder for the Summer of the Sea Otter. Yeah good. I just need to like start doing local news. I feel like just the local news teases is like what I've discovered after thousands of these episodes, and I think I have a gift. I think I think my gift is local news tease. That'll be my aka. I'm one of the local news teeth. But all right, So this cruise ship called the Icon of the Seas very humble. Uh it measures I don't know, Like the measurements don't make don't read as anything to me. You know, like one ninety eight feet what. I haven't seen a cruise ship bigger than one thousand, one hundred feet, you know, I don't. I don't fucking know what that means.
Speaker 2: It looks big.
Speaker 1: It looks big as hell, all dog, This thing looks big as hell. Dog. It is capable of carrying seven six hundred guests. The way it really drive, the thing that drives home to me is just like the features. It's like so many water slides. The ship is divided into eight primary era areas Becca, all of which I'm sure you will be exploring. The aqua dome it's at the top of the front of the ship. It is the era of the orb as we recently covered, So it makes sense that they've got an aqua doome offering two and twenty degree views and a fifty foot waterfall. Fifty five foot waterfall.
Speaker 3: Like you're already at sea, you know what I'm saying, Like you're already in the ocean. Why do you need a fafty five foot waterfall? Like the idea of already being in this massive ship and then on top of the ship there is.
Speaker 1: A waterfall that is well because the ship has too much shit on it, so you have to see around all the other shit to be able to see that you're on this seat.
Speaker 3: It's like you're trying to drown, you know what I'm saying, Like this is too much.
Speaker 1: I have a very like oblivious take on this. Like my first thought was, so I've never been on a cruise ship. I've been on lots of fishing boats to the point that I don't like really get motion sickness. My kids are obsessed with cruise ships from the outside, just like you know, we had a book of like how ships work or something like that, and they saw a cruise ship and we're immediately in love and like seeing it through their eyes again, I was like, Oh, that's that is cool. That looks amazing. I want to go on one of these, like fucking water slides on a boat on the water. Yes, please roller coasters, give it all to me. And as I said as before we were started recording, I was like, and the thing that makes me feel safe about cruise ships is like, remember that to Concordia, like that ship captain who was like trying to impress a woman and like was like slaloming his fucking cruise ship through a crowded harbor and it like turned over. It's like one of the scariest looking images of the cruise ship on its side because because that is like always your fear with a cruise ship is like, well, why isn't that thing just tipping the hell over? It feels like it should tip over, And you know that thing tipped over and nobody died, So I feel safe on these And I said that, and then super Produserve Victor was like, yeah, actually thirty two people died, all of them horribly in like a whirlpool because there weren't enough There weren't enough lifeboats and they.
Speaker 2: Were left in the water too.
Speaker 3: Log Like that is terrifying a whirlpool, Like, I submit my brain, no, no, I can't even like I'm like in the ocean and I'm like, if I can't see my toes, We're done, you know, Like my it isn't above the water.
Speaker 2: I'm good, I can swim.
Speaker 3: I'm not trying to, you know, but I'm trying to just lay and then how I'm trying to be lost at sea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so those are the things that scare me. Like, I know, like what when I was drinking, I would have definitely blacked out and like fell off the back of the cruise ship and just like never been heard from again. Like that would have totally happened to me. I would just like.
Speaker 2: Wandering, You're lost forever.
Speaker 1: No, I'm no one home. Yeah, totally. That that scares me. The neurovirus outbreaks which are surging on cruise ships this year, and just like all the food poisoning and all that, all that bad stuff scares me. And now the boat thinking, I guess should scare me again till thirty two. I think my brain at the time processes like only thirty two.
Speaker 2: People on the boat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like my odds are pretty good. But yeah, there's there's a lot of a lot to recommend these. It's just it does like appeal to your inner child. It does also feel like there's way too many people to be around, Like you wouldn't be alone, You wouldn't be able to like find a place to be alone for the entirety of your time.
Speaker 3: On the you're like in bunk beds, like you're like shacked up with other people. I mean maybe not all of them, but it's like there's like four little twin beds and you're like, oh, yeah, this is a vacation.
Speaker 2: I'm in this little twin bed on a boat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're just in the barracks down below, shoveling coal into the fire and sleeping in like communal bunk beds.
Speaker 2: But I cut you off lists of the other crazy shit on this boat.
Speaker 1: Okay, So the Sweet Neighborhood with a Mediterranean restaurant and two floor sun deck, a five deck high open air central park with living plant walls, Chill Island bro with four pools and a swim up bar, Thrill Island featuring what the company says is the largest water park at sea called Category six because you want you want to is a disaster, you.
Speaker 2: Know, like a category five hurricane.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Six fun.
Speaker 1: There's an area dedicated to families called surf Side the Royal Promenade with ocean views.
Speaker 3: The Hideaway is a funny highlight because like, is it not three sixty ocean views on a road?
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Hideaway offers one hundred and eighty degree views at the back of the ship and an infinity pool. But uh, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's fun anyone trying to go on this boat.
Speaker 1: I'm going to try and go on this boat. I think. I think I'm going to try and do it. Like I've promised myself like one time before. My kids are too old to like get on this thing and want to immediately lose me. You know, I'm going to I'm going to take them on a cruise ship. So well, we'll see. But speaking of the sea attacking is fighting back against humanity. We've heard about the orc is attacking the ships. We've heard the buzz about it being the summer of the Shark, the oceans being swarming with sharks off the off the coast of various swimming beaches. That one seems to be over hyped and bullshit. But this one. If the story I'm about to tell you was any other animal, the mainstream media would be in a fucking panic right now, they would be losing their shit. So since mid June, an otter like a seat, the one at the end of Finding Dory the sea otters like the most aggressive thing they do is like cutely hug one another and it causes like a traffic jam, like they are the puppies of the sea. Well, one of these puppies of the sea, one of you are so called puppies of the sea, has been attacking and terrorizing surfers off the Santa Cruz coast line, in at least one case stealing a board, and in recent days the attacks have grown increasingly aggressive. So it's like an ongoing situation.
Speaker 3: I love how in this La Times article it says since mid June and otter which remains nameless, as if.
Speaker 2: They're trying to keep the identity of the otter.
Speaker 1: I know, miss, it's like you, that is your decision. Friend. You are the ones who name the animals, like you're the ones who like white gladye didn't come through. White Gladys is the orca that was attacking the yachts. White Glads didn't come through and be like, all right, fine, you can have my name as White gladdys y'all named her. This otter remains nameless because you just haven't come up with the right name to sell newspapers. But Lee said so that this person who'd been surfing near an otter for most of the time he was there, he was like it was being peaceful and friendly, and all of us surfers were like, Oh, it's so cute. That's what they want you to think, you dumb fuck. But then another otter appeared seemingly out of nowhere, which, yeah, it didn't sneak attack you. It's just in the ocean, so like you don't see it coming their home. You're in their home, pal.
Speaker 2: They're supposed to be.
Speaker 1: The thing came out of nowhere. What did you think it was going to announce itself while it was on shore and then come at you and swam at another surfer. At first we were like, look, how cute. I don't know if they added that the question mark because surfers speak with upspeak. But then it bit down on the board and it chewed off a piece, and we were like, what's going on?
Speaker 3: People forget that otters are predators, like they are like like on the.
Speaker 1: Editors, they're not vegans.
Speaker 2: They are not supposed to be friendly.
Speaker 1: That's when it turned its eyes on Lee and made a beeline for him. I was scared. I was trying to swim away, but before I was able to get far, it bit my leash, said, describing the tether surfers wear around their ankle and connects them to the board. So I panicked, and then he like tried to flip it off, and it just like scrambled back on because it's better at this thing you are, this is where it lives. It's it's good.
Speaker 2: Like legs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but there would be an all at war on otters if they weren't so fucking cute. I don't. I'm glad they are so cute. I don't. I don't think this otter deserves to be done anything. But like, given space, there are plenty places to surf in southern California. Go find a different location. But it does seem like we've we've pissed the ocean gods off. Becca. I think that they've had enough for our bullshit.
Speaker 2: And I'm with her.
Speaker 1: I'm with her, yes, fuck aside, and it's a it's a woman, that is what I'm saying, all Right, let's take a quick break and we'll be right back. And we're back. That was quick. We got a baffo box office report. Becca. First of all, you know Sound of Freedom. We were all wondering, is this thing just are they just selling tickets by buying them for one another? Still unclear on that, but it does. It is continuing to sell tickets. It is like the number one movie at the box office right now.
Speaker 4: The more I've learned about it, it's it makes sense like they they haven't had one, they haven't had a movie for them in a long time, the right and or like one that they can believe is for them, and so they need this baby.
Speaker 3: Wasn't enough because it's Nazis and Adiana Jones, so they needed you know, Mission impossible.
Speaker 1: Well no, this is I'm talking Sound of Freedom. Oh, sound of Freedom. Sorry, we haven't even gotten to.
Speaker 2: Mission about what is sound of Freedom?
Speaker 1: Sound of Freedom? Is that like QAnon? Yeah? Sorry, So Sound of Freedom is a movie though for those who haven't been listening, Sound of Freedom is a movie that is like I.
Speaker 2: Just assumed that was the new Vision Impossible.
Speaker 1: Mission impossible. Sound of Freedom.
Speaker 2: That sounds about right right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: It does, and I don't know why. I assume everybody's up on Sound of Freedom. This is starring Jim Caviezel Jesus himself, who has like turned into a full Q weirdo and he's like an action hero similar. Like it doesn't sound like it's actually full Q. It's just like very similar to a lot of action movies that create a world in which foreign people are constantly trying to buy and sell humans. You know, human trafficking is a thing, but they're source for like how human trafficking actually works and how you combat human trafficking is a full on like charlottean grifter guy who everybody who's an expert on human trafficking is like this guy, we should not be talking to him. He's he is an expert on this in the way that Steven Sagal law Man like that that reality show is an expert on fighting urban crime. Anyways, that one's still doing well, So we might have to just admit there are a lot of the people who want to who want to watch this piece of shit, but mission impossible. Dead Reckoning had its midnight previews last night, and it is somewhere between seven million and up, which the previous one was I think in the sixes, so like it. It's doing incredibly well. The reviews are really glowing. The villain is stupid according to the reviews. Well they into that a little bit more on tomorrow's episode, but uh, you know, Cruz has done it again. So it's like a lot of people are gonna are going to see this. And then you go back to the movies. Yeah, the movies are having quite quite the moment right now with Mission Impossible is going to do really well. And then and then Boppenheimer, which Bobenheimer, Barbenheimer or Boppenheimer. We prefer Boppenheimer on here because it is like it gives it a little fun Bobby vibe. But you you already have your Barbie outfit picked out.
Speaker 2: I am my Barbie outfit, y'all.
Speaker 3: I am so soaked to be having in my possession a juice guitur hot pink Barbie pink sweatsuit.
Speaker 2: I look incredible in it.
Speaker 3: I've never wanted to be a real housewive of Beverly Hills more than I do at this very much time.
Speaker 2: I need to go find me a sugar daddy.
Speaker 3: I need to be carrying a little dog in a purse and need to become Himara Siltan.
Speaker 1: That is my goal, is.
Speaker 3: What I'm trying to emulate. When I go to the premiere, I have a little few shipping heels. I got my girls. I already bought the tickets. Me and my girls were going to BAM the Brooklyn Art Museum or weow Brooklyn Academy of Music. There's two bams in Brooklyn, and it is frustrating because I understood BAM for a long time as the Brooklyn Art Museum, and now people are like, oh, I went to BAM to go see X y Z and they mean the Brooklyn Academy of Music. I've never heard music out of there. I've only ever seen movies.
Speaker 1: So that's where you're going to see Barb Barbie.
Speaker 3: But I am going to go see Barbie there and maybe I'm gonna have her. But Barbie, Yes, open.
Speaker 1: Nights, Wow, real, Barb stam.
Speaker 2: I want to I want to see it. I r L.
Speaker 3: I don't have to wait. I'm not going to be late to this game. I don't want to see any tweets. I want to be in there on time.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm excited. Well, you are going to have that opportunity, but it seems like it's good good times for the box office in the coming weeks. So in the world of Hollywood, they there is a deadline article that speaks to insiders on the bad guy side of the strike. So we're heading into at midnight tonight, SAG Screen Actors Guild is going to have to decide if they're going to strike or not. Hopefully they are. You know, the last time that SAG and the Writers Guild struck together, there were major gains for the people who actually make the art that you're interested in, and not just the people who figure out how to maximally profit off of it, but the people who figure out how to maximally profit off of it. The CEOs and like the executives are kind of quietly saying their strategy were people. So it might actually be their strategy. It might just be them talking tough to try and scare writers into coming back to the table. But this new deadline article gave quotes where CEOs want to let the strike bleed out and the endgame is quote to allow things to drag on until union members start losing their apartments and losing their houses.
Speaker 3: And it's so fucked up Like that gave me a sceral reaction to hear, like, because it's like the whole reason they're shriking is because they are not being given their word, and the people that have the power to give them them worth are the ones who will never lose their house. So it's like, ma, we want to just maybeople feel like such shit that they're homeless and they have to work for us. How does that create any resolution for anybody in the industry. No one would want to work in the industry, Like everyone's working slave wages, Like what is this?
Speaker 2: Like, it's just America's so busted.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're saying the WGA will hopefully be forced to restart talks before a very cold Christmas, which is just like the.
Speaker 2: Evil that's like literally a movie like.
Speaker 1: What they are the movie vis Yeah. They also this will presumably before any be before any CEO's risk another Christmas where they will be visited by three ghosts.
Speaker 3: Who's giving National Lampoon's Christmas vacation? You know Chevy Chase evil but you know his boss really did him dirty in that one.
Speaker 1: Oh, I know what you're saying. Yeah, yeah, he's.
Speaker 2: Certainly cut everyone's Christmas bonuses.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so the union side is staying strong and pointing out that this is just a negotiation tactic and hopefully an empty threat, especially if Sag joins. That's when, like real change. The producers are going to have to like come back to the drawing board. They Yeah, they're also like this is a necessary evil, that's what they're saying. They're basically telling on themselves.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think there's anything necessary just evil about.
Speaker 1: We're Yeah, we're an unnecessary evil would actually be more accurate. But yeah, Otterheimer is that something. Maybe that would be a nickname for the ot capture the zeitgeist. Brian suggesting Oscar the Ornery ardor Ard Otter. That one's too hard for me to say, so I'm gonna reject it on those grounds alone. Oscar the Ornery Otter. There it is all right? Well, Becca Ramos, thank you so much for joining. Where can people? Oh shit, we never talked about the Emmy Awards. I don't like so, I mean, this is the Emmy Awards. They announced the nominations. Is a little weird, like nobody really knows when the show will be because of the writer's strike.
Speaker 2: No one's writing for it right.
Speaker 1: This is also the seventy fifth anniversary of the Emmy Awards, which I mean that's I've been looking forward to this for a long time.
Speaker 2: I don't know, god, seventy five years the.
Speaker 1: So I mean the nominees in drama and or better call Saul, the Crown, House of the Dragon, the Last of Us Succession, The White Lotus, Yellow Jackets, and comedy, Abvid, Elementary, Barry the Bear, Jury Duty, Marvelous Missus, Masls still out here doing it? Who knew?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the last season. I think that one was.
Speaker 1: Only Waiters in the Building ted Lasso Wednesday, Uh yeah, Wednesday. Wow, Yeah, the only I didn't have a problem with much until we got to the end of that list, and then, like ted Lasso, remember not maybe it doesn't need to be on there, and maybe we put reservation dogs in there. Uh you know, Wednesday, maybe don't need to be a thern. Maybe we put Atlanta Atlanta. These seemed like the decisions that would have been made by more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Wednesday. It was such because I felt like the reviews were not great.
Speaker 3: I enjoyed it like I just enjoyed it as like a fun watch, but I wasn't like Emmy Award winning.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Barry was larious at the end, like I see how that's outstanding comedy series. That shit cracked me up. Put shout out to Abbott Elementary, which I'm assuming will continue to just clean up. And do we have our tagline for Ouderheimer Oderheimer, I am become destroyer of boards. I think I think green lighted. We are scabs by the way we are pitching scripts to Hollywood producers. So yeah, just just hit us up. Uh, that's gonna do it, super producer, Beck, thank you so much for joining. Where can people find you? Follow you all that good stuff?
Speaker 3: You find me and follow me at bex b e CCS, ramos on all platforms and for Emmy's I do want to say shout out to Matt and Bowen of Las Coltristas I produce on that show. But they got nominated for Fire Islands, so.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, congratulations, amazing. All right. You can find me at Jack Underscore O'Brien on Twitter and at Jack Underscore Oh Underscore Brian on threads, where I will be posting every like three weeks like I do on Twitter, but I repost the hell out of funny stuff, so you can find me there. Just follow the things I like and you'll have a good time. We're back tomorrow with a whole ass episode of the show. Until then, be kind to each other, be kind to yourself, get the vaccine, don't do nothing about white supremacy, and we'll talk to you all tomorrow. Bye bye,