Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is a Meet Friday, And you would think after all these years and all the times that I've heard that guy's voice introducing me, that I would remember his name. I have no idea what that guy's name is, but he is the man does he also put together and pull all that audio? Because it is incredible?
Speaker 3: Dude, he's That guy's name is Bob Schmidt, and he is I mean this in the nicest possible way, a psychopath because he he has an unbelievable archive of every random thing we've all said over the last almost twenty years.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's crazy the stuff that he can just pull from.
Speaker 2: So two things I always think about when I'm coming ross Tucker in for Dan on a Meet Friday. Number One, I think about the fact that I can't wait to hear what Bob Schmidt has put together I have. I never have any idea. Shout out Chris Mannix, by the way, that was we should we should later on the show, We'll have Chris Mannix as our guest to talk about the Lakers in the Knicks last night. No, I'm just kidding. The other thing, it's always so funny about when I'm filling in for Dan, people will say to me, you know you, I don't know when you asked me Poullie, who was a week ago or whatever. But yeah, I'm next Friday, I'm filling in for Dan Patrick. What's he like? What what's he like in person? I'm like, I don't know. He's never there when I'm there.
Speaker 1: I don't really know.
Speaker 2: Now I will say that's the super Bowl. Got a chance to hang out with him, been talking to him a little bit. But the funny thing is I've filled in probably fifty times now and Dan is never here when I'm here, and people don't grasp that concept. Yeah, ask me about Fritzy instead or Pollie or Seaton. We got a ton of stuff to get to, yes, Sea.
Speaker 4: It's so interesting.
Speaker 3: I never thought about it that way though, Like you're right, whenever you're here, Dan's not here. So you probably other than the interviews that you guys do, you probably really don't know him all that way.
Speaker 4: Well, like of off air.
Speaker 2: Not well at all. That's crazy. No, I mean, you guys bring me on a lot as a guest. So I talked to him then and then at the Super Bowl, we have like those ten minutes. Now, this year I got a chance to talk to Dan a little bit more. We had that dinner and all the whole thing with the iHeart folks, which was amazing. So I got to know him a little bit better. But I really don't know him that well. But that's the number one thing. Like if I'm in an airport, people got to me, They'll be like me Vanderbet and I'll be like, yeah, hey man, what's up by the way. By the way, second year in a row, Second year in a row, I run into Andy Reid's wife. Okay, so last year was the AFC Championship game. I'm on the sideline and afterwards, I'm interviewing Mahomes, Andy Reid and Tammy Reid. Andy's wife looks at me and says, has anybody ever told you you look like that guy from Dawson's Creek?
Speaker 1: This year?
Speaker 2: Okay, this year I did Texans chiefs. I get off, No, I get off the elevator. She's getting on the elevator and I smile at her. She says, has anybody ever told you you look like that guy from Dawson's Creek? And I said, yeah, you last year. It was amazing. Speaking of amazing, by the way, there's a ton of stuff going on in sports right now. I stayed up and watched that Lakers Knicks game, which was amazing. I'm like, my mind is blown watching that game. Okay. I played basketball through high school. I would say until eleventh grade. I thought basketball was like my sport. How am I watching two guys that are slow and can't jump be the best two guys on the court. I'm like Brunson and Luca Doncik blow my mouth. And by the way, then the other guy's forty. He's a man. He's forty. I mean, what are we talking about. It's so funny because for recruiting and you hear all these AAU it's like which guy can jump the highest, run the fastest, And then you watch the NBA and it's like, uh, I don't know. Jokic doesn't even get off the ground when he plays a game.
Speaker 5: Yes, Paula Jokic sits in the high post with the ball like a water polo player and waits for his teammates to move, and then then he passes or he shoots at the end. I was watching Luca last night he works the pick and roll. He waits for the pick and roll, he waits to see if the defender's gonna go one side or the other, and he just steps kazy to the left and pops a three. It's like it's almost at three quarter speed.
Speaker 6: It.
Speaker 2: I think that's the key for Brunton and don Chik. They they're always in control, but they also they change their speeds, they change their tempos. So only two or three times can I remember having a guy cover me that was taller than me and more athletic. There was Tony Stewart who ended up playing a bunch of years in the NFL as a tight end, was six to seven. And then there's a kid named from my area name Joe Linderman, six'. Ten he was The America. East because we'll get into college hoops later on the, show he was The America East freshman of The. Year he was like six' nine to. Six ten have you guys ever, played, well actually all of you guys. Probably have but if, you play if, you play if you play basketball against someone that's a couple of inches taller than you and, more athletic it is hard. To score it is hard to get your. Shot off So when I'm Watching jalen Brunson And, LUKA doncik i am like in awe at. Their ability the guys covering them are almost, always taller almost always, more athletic and they still put up as many points as. They do some of the shots. THEY make, i Mean, DON chick i don't even know how he got that one Shot. OVER towns i don't even know how he. Did that so there's a lot to get to in terms OF. The nba How About charles Barkley And kendrick perkins?
Speaker 5: Go time is?
Speaker 2: THAT real i think it. IS real i think it, is REAL and i think it's real. Interesting too there's a TON of. Nfl news we just HAD breaking nfl news Kind Of, miles garrett arguably the best defensive player IN the nfl For The. Cleveland browns we all already know that he wants. A trade he requested a meeting with, The Owner, jimmy Haslam and, haslam DECLINED which i think. Is fascinating by, the way we'll get TO the nhl, Trade deadline we'll Get To. Kyle hoops if your best player wants to meet, with you don't you at least owe him the courtesy of.
Speaker 5: A Meeting Pauli tom pelasero has just reported on this WITH The nfl network and he said The Reason, jimmy haslam the owner Of, the browns will not meet With g he SAID his gm can. Handle it that's the, GM's job and you could go THROUGH. The gm which does that kind of? Make sense like why do you get to step up PAST. THE gm i can see.
Speaker 2: BOTH sides i guess from the, Players standpoint i've been your best player the Entire time i've. Been here i've been a. Good soldier there's a million times that could have thrown this organization under. THE bus i haven't. DONE it i play my butt off even when, we stink even when the game's out of reach and you're not gonna meet with me for. FIFTEEN minutes i actually think it's a Mistake By. JIMMY haslam i think you can make an, argument, about HEY my gm can, handle it but, you know if you decline miles request for, a meeting this is when guys start to take. It personal this is when it becomes more. Than business and when guys take, it personal that's when they actually skip games and actually do stuff Like This, Because now it's like anything else, In, life right if you have an issue, with someone sometimes you just want to feel like you're. Being, Heard Right miles garrett Just Wants jimmy haslam to acknowledge him and hear where he's. Coming from the Fact that haslam won't even give him, THAT opportunity i feel like that's the type of thing that Could get miles even more. Worked up what do you GUYS.
Speaker 5: Think i was looking at this from the opposite way With. The browns isn't this kind of an opportunity For the browns to remake their whole franchise with. The draft they could either keep their pick or trade down. And build they Could Trade miles garrett and get a lot of. Draft capital they don't have, a quarterback and the quarterback they have on a contract has a two time. Torn achilles they don't seem threatening in the next. Two years why not hit the? Reset Button miles garrett. Wants out he's gonna be friendly to help you. Be traded you have an opportunity you could trade down with your. Draft pick those are two chips where you could build for the next.
Speaker 2: Five years so a couple thoughts, on that one of which is if you're the Head Coach kevin stefanski and YOU'RE The Gm andrew berry and you're coming off a disastrous season? Last year can you afford to start a? Rebuild now can you afford to have? A reset i would just, say this you better go to the owner and make sure he's fully on board. WITH that i think those guys are saying we're not trading him because they know they need to win. THIS year i think that's, a big big part. Of it and, then meanwhile, you know For, The Bengals, trey hendrickson who LED the nfl in sacks by three and, a half he was given the opportunity to meet. With ownership he met with ownership and management yesterday and they gave him permission to find. A trade which there's a lot to say. About. That yeah is there any.
Speaker 3: Part, of, you though that likes that level of management ownership that are not getting involved in the?
Speaker 4: PLAYER stuff i get on.
Speaker 3: The outside if your star player, is, LIKE hey i want to speak, to you and, you're, like hmm that you're the owner is supposed to, say, yes absolutely you, know absolutely, Comes see you're important. To me it's also possible that, he's, like dude you're a player on, a team just talk to the.
Speaker 2: General manager so that's a really interesting point on a couple. Different levels on, one level if YOU'RE, the gm you love that the owner does that because you want the players to know you are making the decision AS the gm and you have the. Ultimate authority and then for, an owner where do you draw?
Speaker 7: That?
Speaker 2: Line, then Okay So miles garrett wants to meet, with you so then you meet. With him what, about when like, You know den the ward wants to meet with you and he wants a new, contract that you, Know, what like you're kind of setting the Precedent of i'll meet with you guys one on one, SET.
Speaker 3: Right i HAVE a gm and they have a job, to do and you respect. That guy you go talk. To him i'm not gonna. BIGFOOT him i kind of, like that.
Speaker 2: You know. It's FUNNY when i played For, the COWBOYS they i heard stories from the guys that had been There when dion. Was there AND again i don't, KNOW this i wasn't There when dion. Was there, but supposedly like if they wanted him to do something like go to treatment and he didn't want to have to go to a treatment. After practice they'd, be like, You, know dion you. Have treatment and again this is a. SECONDHAND story i want to be very clear. ABOUT that i did not Play. With dion dion, would say why don't we call extension? Twenty one find out Which Was jerry, jones extension and the trainer would just let it go because the trainer knew that if they called, The Owner jerry jones, Would say dion doesn't have to.
Speaker 5: Do it How Is jerry jones not? EXTENSION one i mean there are twenty?
Speaker 2: Other, people, no he might be. EXTENSION one i can't remember what the. Extension was i'm making up the extend you? Had, IT no i just had twenty One because. Dion's number, but Great h so there. Is that that is a, REAL thing i think in, terms of, you know hierarchy and not wanting, you know there's a in any business and in, any organization there's a chain of command and you don't want to go. Like that they don't do that in. The military can you imagine the private, being, like, uh, yes CAPTAIN can i speak to the general? About?
Speaker 5: This paulie so this isn't playing well on social media For.
Speaker 2: The Browns And.
Speaker 5: Jimmy haslm everyone is reporting, on this talking about this, this Morning AND jimmy haslm is not exactly the most beloved owner in. The sport so a lot of people are Siding With, miles garrett like what seat, was Saying Maybe jimmy haslm's doing the right thing and BACKING his gm and saying this is. The process most people aren't going, that deep and most people, just, like wow the owner's being rude to his, Great Player miles garrett by not having a conversation. With him that's how it's.
Speaker 2: Playing out but, in general don't you think most fans, are employees so they look at it from the, employee standpoint although usually when there's a contract hold out they do that they're on, Management's TEAM like i we could do a whole show on the psyche of fans like they're like they're cheering for, cap.
Speaker 6: Space, yes marvin they're not on the. Owner side they're on the, team, Side right so they're not really with. The owner they're more of, the player come on. And play and on top, of that there's a level of how much money do? You like how much more money do? You want cause you're talking to guys that just every day.
Speaker 3: Working, Exactly yeah i'm probably a little bit of a unicorn then In that i'm almost universally on the. Player's, side great get, more money get as much money as you possibly can, from them take every.
Speaker 2: Single, time yeah but in, this instance you're okay with has them not meeting?
Speaker 4: WITH him. I, Am yeah so that.
Speaker 8: Does not feel like you're on the player side in. This, Situation no i'm still on the. PLAYER side I don't i don't understand why what? Would that WHY would i not be on the. Player's side if because.
Speaker 2: The player wants a meeting and you're on board with him with the owner not giving him, THAT meeting i, would think knowing you're the way you, NORMALLY are i would think you would think the owners should meet. With him the owners should meet give him. That time he's.
Speaker 3: Earned, IT no i, don't Know because i'm also a believer in like you hire people to do a job until you let them do. The job they having the owner right Will Say, jerry jones or having the boss having the whatever micro manage every single detail is exhausting and seems like very rarely works out on a, big picture, YOU know I mean we Look At jerry jones as the, best example right of a guy who he's the owner AND the gm and the, you know quality control guy and the train and, the whatever.
Speaker 4: And, you're like what are, you? Doing dude just let people do. Their jobs.
Speaker 2: Want to make sure to welcome everybody that's checking us out on all The Different fox sports. Radio affiliates we're of course Live. On peacock you can check us Out at danpatrick. Dot com already have a couple of. Phone calls there were a couple of phone calls before the show. Even started what are they? CALLING about i didn't even talked yet and there were already a couple people at eight seven SEVEN three. Dp show you can check out our YouTube channel, of Course the twitter HANDLES at. Dp show I'm At ROSS tucker nfl on. ALL platforms i know a lot of you guys end up listening later. Via podcast that is AWESOME because i get your tweets. Later on you can always check me out as well On The Ross Tucker. Football podcast i've got two things when we. Come Back, NUMBER one i am very sad FOR one nfl team's. FAN Base, u two is there a chance That Both charles Barkley And kendrick perkins that they're. Both right We've Got jordan schultz to Ten, Twenty Eastern JOHN Rothstein cbs sports, At Eleven, greg COSEL The Nfl films legend at eleven Twenty, am eastern seventeen minutes past the hour here On The Dan.
Speaker 1: Patrick Show Fox sports radio has the best sports talk lineup in. The nation catch all of our Shows At foxsports Radio dot com and Within the. iHeartRadio APP search fsr to.
Speaker 7: Listen, Live Hey steve Covino And I'm rich david And Together we're Covino and Rich On Fox. Sports radio you could catch us weekdays from five to Seven pm eastern two To four Pacific On Fox sports radio and of Course the. iHeartRadio app why should you Listen to Covino. And rich we talk about, everything, life, sports relationships what's going on in. The world we have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and, pop culture stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time. To discuss and the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still, WORK together i mean that, says, Something right so check Us out we like to get you, involved too take your, phone calls chop. It up as, they say, i'd say the most interactive Show On Fox, sports radio maybe the most interactive show.
Speaker 2: On planetar be.
Speaker 7: Sure to Check out Covino and rich Live On Fox sports radio And the iHeartRadio app from five to Seven pm eastern two To, Four pacific and if you miss any of the, live show Just search Covin on rich wherever you get, your podcasts and of course on.
Speaker 5: Social Media that's Covino and rich.
Speaker 2: Roll along On A, meet friday the fastest three hours. In Radio ross tucker filling In. For dan here with you Until noon, eastern time AND then i don't even know what. We're eating is this like a surprise you guys haven't told. ME yet i have no inkling of what. We're eating is it transportable via my patented? Cupo mustard it's it.
Speaker 5: Could be it's not a traditional meat and a cup that you love like a brat with mustard and. A roadie today we have, Ribbis Okay new york strip steaks and, filet mignon three types. Of steak ooh cup.
Speaker 2: Of, steak YEAH so i, CAN definitely I mean. I've eaten i've eaten a lot of steaks with my hands over, the, Years, right yeah a lot of stakes with.
Speaker 5: My HANDS so i can. DO that i bet you've eaten more with your hands and with forks.
Speaker 2: And, KNIVES no i wouldn't go, that FAR but. I am i'm not afraid to put a couple of filet mignons in some coffee cups and take a bite at a Crime while i'm. Driving home what's, So?
Speaker 5: Funny paul he almost got me with the drink. OF water i almost.
Speaker 2: Lost it theretzy dice, it up put it into make into little cubes and just kind of guzzle it when you get a chance safely while you're driving from. THE cup i COULD do i could, do that, BUT honestly i feel like more of a MAN if i just grabbed the eight ounces on me and just take a bite out of it and put it.
Speaker 5: Back, in yeah wrap your arm and. Paper too do you think that?
Speaker 2: The, cavemen okay do you think that like cro magnet Met or? Neanderthal man you think they cut it?
Speaker 5: Into cubes they Didn't have. Dixie, cups yeah there Was no.
Speaker 2: Dixie cups they just took the meat and they took a bite out, of it and they put it back wherever they wanted to until they want. Another byte That's what i'm. GONNA do i don't have time to put it. Into cubes although if someone did that, FOR me i. WOULDN'T complain i would, complain THOUGH if i Were a. Bengals fan i'm sad Today for. Bengals fans i'll tell. YOU why i think they're Gonna Trade, trey HENDRICKSON and i think a Lot of bengals fans have, convinced, themselves well you can't. Pay, EVERYBODY well i mean. You can't you can't. Pay everybody, oh really you can't. Pay Everybody the Bengals and eagles both gave their quarterbacks extensions in two thousand and, twenty three So Both jalen Hurts And joe burrow got over fifty million dollars a year in twenty. Twenty three, since Then the bengals have signed one player to a contract over, forty million and that Was Linebacker. Logan Wilson the eagles have signed eight players to contracts over forty. MILLION DOLLARS. A, J Brown, Landon Dickerson, Lane Johnson, Devonte Smith, Jordan Mylatta, Zach Bond, Darius Slay. Saquon BARKLEY so i don't want to hear this concept, of Well the bengals can't. PAY everybody i got news. For you they could have gotten The t Higgins or chase deal done a. Year ago they could have gotten either one of those done during. The season they could Have extended. Hendrickson earlier they are in this situation because they chose to be in. This situation and if You're a, bengals, fan okay you have elite players at the highest paid positions, in, football, quarterback receiver and. Edge rusher it's, a blessing it's. A gift every other team wants to have. This Problem trey hendrickson's gonna get traded and he's gonna get thirty million dollars a year from. Someone else maybe It's, the bears maybe It's, the colts maybe It's. THE commanders i don't know who it's, gonna be but some other team's gonna. Pay him. YOU know i even have friends That are bengals fans and they're texting me and, they're, like well. It's okay they're prioritizing. The offense first, OF all i believe that they get. The t Higgins And jamar chase deals DONE when i. See it but let me just say this to anybody listening or Watching. On peacock if You're the bengals or any, OTHER franchise i want you to get, a BRACELET and i want you TO say wwhd on. The bracelet what would? We do What Would howie? Roseman do do you think for one second he would have let it get to this point where there are three best players other than The quarterback burrow all need new contracts at the exact. Same time, and then by, the way why Why Is, duke, tobin who by, THE way i think is. Very Underrated the bengals drafts have. Been outstanding why do you come out publicly and say we're Gonna Make jamar chase the highest paid non quarterback IN. The nfl why would you? Say, that so If You're, jamar, chase now why would you sign a Deal Before micah parsons or before any of these, other Guys Before, max crosby who just set the, high WATERMARK Or. Tj watt. You wouldn't there's no injury risk. Right now you. Would wait So for Bengals fans i'm sad for you because you have one of the five best quarterbacks IN. The nfl you should be An Annual super. Bowl contender you should be deep in the playoffs. Every year but your organization and probably, your ownership for whatever reason they want, to say they have slow played. These contracts just get. It done they could have Gotten The jamar chase deal done for less last year than they're gonna. Pay NOW am i off based, On This, Paul.
Speaker 5: No and it's one if you're Not a bengals fan and you Don't Know trey hendrickson because he's not a. Household name he came Out Of. Florida, atlantic yep he was pretty Good In. New orleans but the past, four years press, Five, Years, Watt, miles Garrett And trey hendrickson are the only people since twenty twenty with seventy. Plus sex but he's not in, their notoriety but he's in their league as far.
Speaker 2: As production and he has the most sacks over the last. Two years he had by far the most sacks this, past year even though by, the way they didn't have a lead in a lot. Of GAMES and i Spoke with trey On The rosstucker podcast interviewed him At The. Super bowl he couldn't have been more clear that he wanted to Be. In cincinnati he couldn't have been more respectful of. The organization this guy has done, everything right and Yet the bengals it seems very clear he's the odd man out and they're gonna. Move. On paully how big of? A deal?
Speaker 5: You know the sport better than us is twenty seven. Versus Thirty max crosby is. Twenty seven he gets the biggest contract in. League history. Non Quarterback trey hendrickson similar production or better. Is thirty can't get?
Speaker 2: That, contract no but he can't get it From. The bengals but can he? Get it what do you Think the raiders would Do If john Spytech And tom brady or whatever we're Running. THE bengals i believe they would Have Gotten trey.
Speaker 5: Hendrickson signed you don't think that that thirty IS where i don't want to give five years to a thirty, Year old but it's twenty seven. Year old that's. No problem doesn't need to be.
Speaker 2: Five years it's he cares about the average. Per year it could be, three years as long as it's. Thirty million dollars a.
Speaker 3: Year, set yeah but the player might want the, five years right because he KNOWS what, ag is he knows how many contracts he might.
Speaker 2: Have, left yeah but if, he's smart he realizes nobody has any guaranteed money past the first three. Years anyway, so, yeah sure we'll give you a five. Year deal we'll tack on those last couple. OF years i just that's one QUESTION that i have for the audience today at, eight seven seven TO three, dp show or you can hit me up on social Media At ROSS. Tucker nfl i'll check. It out would you be sad if you Were a bengals fan TODAY because i. Would be and how do you Feel About jimmy haslam not Meeting With Miles.
Speaker 5: GARRETT paulie i got one more for you because you Know the eagles very well And the eagles. Are Rolling the eagles in the past week have spent big money on a, running, BACK yeah a non, rush, Linebacker Yeah zach bond is not a rush balls the.
Speaker 2: Ball. Linebacker okay those.
Speaker 5: Are the two positions over the past fifteen years that have been, degraded financially.
Speaker 2: And the eagles have been at the forefront of not paying. Those two so they're going to.
Speaker 5: Counter lately but is it because they're on a run and you don't mess with, a run no. Pun Intended saquon Barkley And zach bond fell into their laps for the, past year and you don't mess.
Speaker 2: WITH that i think it's. TWO things I think, NUMBER one i think that they've recognized that perhaps the market is inefficient and it's gone too low for. THOSE positions i think that they recognize that and they kind of zigged when everybody else Zagged with barkley. Last, YEAR now i will tell, You this i'm surprised that They Redid saquon zel after. One year they did not need to. Do that that is called rewarding a player for arguably the best season a running back has. Ever had, And honestly bond is just. THAT good, i Mean, but bond this guy was top five defensive player of, the year voting First Team. ALL pro i think he opened their eyes to just how valuable a really good off the ball linebacker. Could Be Plus nikobe dean got hurt Against the packers in. The playoffs they don't only have. Anybody else they're Gonna Let josh sweat go because they have. Other dns they're Gonna Let milton williams go because they have other. D tackles they couldn't really do that. At linebacker the OTHER thing i want to get your guys thoughts on is this back and forth with Our Guy charles Barkley And. Kendrick perkins. Last night perkins was on, social Media but barkley went, All Over, kendrick perk do we have the audio? That you let me just? Read it? ALL right i will just Read what, barkley said because he was not. Messing around he basically said he saw a full IDIOT on tv saying That the lakers SAVE. The nba he's an idiot and, a fool but he knows who. He is and then he didn't. Identify it And then Barkley Said, kendrick Perkins and barkley went on to say he Said. To lakers first, of All the lakers had a great. Two weeks, he Said the lakers SAVED the. Nba season that's because them fools on the, other network which we're going to be working for, next year that's all they. Talk about let me tell Y'all something and first, OF all i want all. THE smoke i don't WHISTLE when i walk by the graveyard or anything. Like, that perkins as you, might imagine was not thrilled. With it perkins took to social media, And, said HEY at NBA, on tnt might want to tell that Senior Citizen charles Barkley that i'll be around when he see an idiot or fool. In person make sure he keep that. Same energy he can come playing with me if you, want To and i'm gonna ADDRESS his i don't know if you allowed to say ass on. The, showy, Yeah okay i'm gonna address his ass like the numbers on. A house that's a great line straight from the four. Oh, nine okay so here's. MY question i kind of feel like they're. Both right barkley's point is That the calves and the thunder have both been awesome, all year and THAT the nba season didn't. NEED saving i gotta be honest, with. You guys the FIRST time i started paying attention TO the nba this year was When the lakers Traded For. LUKA doncic i was At The. Super bowl It Was radio row and everybody was talking About the MAVs Trading don chick To. The. Lakers that i'm not gonna say it saved, the season but it woke. Me up all we were talking about before that was the ratings are down and load management and all of the negative stuff ABOUT. The nba that trade jolted me into. Paying attention and now they're playing. Really well by, The way i'm confused, on THIS and i don't know who IS the nba expert Year probably marv sounds like you follow what The closest marvel talk. About it when that trade, was MADE what i heard all the experts say is it's good for the short term For, the MAVs but it's only okay if they win a championship the next year. Or two and then For, the lakers, it, was well this is good because now they have, their star their face at the Franchise when Lebron's, going marv why weren't more, people saying, holy Crap the lakers could be. Really good They have Luca. And lebron that was not what people were saying right when the trade. Was made it was More like lakers long Term.
Speaker 6: And MAVs short IS everything? I, heard well the thing Was because Luca and lebron basically played the. Same game they're both ball, dominant, Guys right so it was a lot of what are they? Gonna do and The way lebron's been doing It is luca's been kind of handling. The ball he's fifteen years Younger than, lebron Is so lebron kind of stands in. The corner he might, take turns, you know handling the ball and things. Like that And So, nico HARRISON the gm Of, the mavericks he better hope That the MAVs pull out. A. Championship somehow that's, NOT happening, i know especially Now That kyrie irving.
Speaker 2: Got, HURT yeah, i mean that's. Not happening and you traded for a thirty two Year Old.
Speaker 6: Anthony davis it would have been different if he was twenty five or, twenty six but you traded for a thirty two Oft. Injured aley davis got hurt his first game As a maverick and he hasn't. Played since so it's looking even worse for. Them now And the lakers were playing Well before luca, got there and now. They haven't they have been lost in. A month it's unbelievable what.
Speaker 2: We are they seventeen and three in their last twenty and they've won eight in. A row the, OTHER thing i, will say in Fairness, to perkins you know the other The Four, Letter, network right What does dan? Call Them? The mothership they are in the business, of. Ratings right So while barkley's right That the Calves And oklahoma city have, been awesome people just don't know as much, about them or care as much, about them or want to talk or listen. About THEM if, i said, right now when we, Come back i'm TALKING about OKC, and sga how many people listening right now don't even KNOW who. Sga IS if, i WENT if i said to my wife, and, daughters okay they're thirteen. And ELEVEN if, i said what do you THINK? About sga they would look. At ME if, i, said okay he's going to BE the mvp of the league IN The nba guild, is all they would look. At me they would look right. Through ME if, i said what Dothing? About lebron they all Know who? Lebron IS so, i like ARE we i don't KNOW if i can Blame the mothership for talking about the thing that more people are. Interested, In paulie yes.
Speaker 5: And no it's a bit of. A cycle if you play to the analytics and only talk about teams that the analytics tell. You to other stories. Get Lost the thunder this year And The cleveland cavaliers this year does get lost in the let's talk About, the lakers let's talk about. Blank blank so it's like talking About the cowboys when they're not relevant is not fair to other teams that, are relevant like more talk About, the lions or more talk About the rams. This Year the rams are a really interesting team at the end of.
Speaker 2: The year so your point is it becomes somewhat of a self. Fulfilling, prophecy correct it's. A cycle we don't and if we don't talk About the, thunder now we're Never, gonna.
Speaker 5: Yeah Well the Thunder will they're never They're.
Speaker 2: Gonna they're never gonna have a better brand or a bigger brand if we don't talk about them when they're the.
Speaker 5: Best, team well if you complain THAT the nba has there's no, new meat there's no, new stories and you don't talk about, those stories you can't complain. About it, you know if you only talk about the forty year old players and certain teams that just get coverage because, of analytics you don't develop.
Speaker 2: New, Stories, okay so but like your job is to get the best, ratings possible uh. For tomorrow isn't, your job like for any any, broadcast platform isn't it your job to get the best ratings possible so that you have the best? Advertising? Dollars? RIGHT Am, I no i don't.
Speaker 5: Think, so, no not. That's that don't want to get. Too philosophical we try to be entertaining when talking about a lot of, different sports and we will not just play these certain hits to death for a half a. Rating point we, hold well.
Speaker 2: That's one reason why guys people like you guys because.
Speaker 5: You're, different yeah and we do talk About the lakers And the cowboys and blah blah blah. Blah blah but we try to be followed, the stories follow the. Good stories.
Speaker 2: That's it eight seven seven. TO Three dp show is the. Telephone number remember to hit us UP at dp Show. ON twitter i Am At, ROSS. Tucker nfl we got the play of. The day when we, come back and in honor OF the nhl, Trade deadline i'm going to tell you who is to blame For The united states losing In The. Four nations forty one minutes past the, Hour Here ross tucker And for dan on A.
Speaker 1: Meat friday be sure to catch the live Edition Of The Dan patrick show weekdays at Nine am eastern Six am Pacific On Fox sports radio And the iHeartRadio wapp oh, my god the play of.
Speaker 2: The day.
Speaker 5: This is the play of.
Speaker 1: The day.
Speaker 2: Check, This out Steph From.
Speaker 9: Mick court let cost about? That too oh, my goodness come for that was the play of, The Day.
Speaker 2: Steph curry if you guys haven't, seen it you gotta see. This shot hit a shot from nearly half court to end the. First half he's made twenty one shots from thirty feet and beyond. This Season Only trey young with twenty five has. Made more can't remember anybody shooting the ball from more than thirty FEET when i was. Growing up he finished with forty points seven threes In the warriors one hundred and twenty one to one hundred and nineteen win eleven games with seven or more made three pointers, this season most IN the nba one hundred and forty five games with seven plus made. Three pointers anybody want to guess who second most? Ever is and with? How many? Anybody marve? You know? Don't you you printed? It out you can't guess. Anybody else, all right you're taking. Too long, Go Ahead.
Speaker 5: Klay Thompson klay.
Speaker 2: Thompson's Correct Whoa klay thompson is correct, fifty two so about a Third Of. STEPH curry i have so many QUESTIONS when i watch him make a shot? Like that does he? Practice that for those of you that haven't seen, it yet you can pull it up on social media. Or whatever but his back was to the basket when he caught the ball almost. Mid court he turned over his, left shoulder and it wasn't like a real. Form shot it was kind of like almost like a, shot put and it. Went in he. Drained it it was. Absolutely incredible like does he, practice that you, GUYS think i think.
Speaker 4: HE does i think he practiced it more than.
Speaker 2: You, think okay so then my question, would be is that is that an efficient usage of? His time to how much time do you dedicate to make it a thirty eight footer with your back to.
Speaker 4: THE basket i would say it's clearly inefficient use of.
Speaker 2: His time seems to be.
Speaker 5: WORKING out i mean it did in.
Speaker 2: THAT instance i know what.
Speaker 5: You're, SAYING though i bet he practices like forty footers to end. The half like when he's finishing up A normal, warriors practice he takes three or four running half court shots because he's the guy who's gonna take, those couple, you know a couple times. A, month right this. Was different this was like a, twisting heave.
Speaker 2: So impressive it's Just. Crazy fritzy and he's been known also to put on shows for like fans that come, out early, you know hours before. The game he's taken all kinds of.
Speaker 6: Wacky shots he's like in the stands and shooting from like from where he's out.
Speaker 2: Of boundary he does that before, EVERY game, i THINK and i think it goes well set.
Speaker 3: ALL right i don't think that like we as the, average public understand just how much time players have before a game and how early they get to, the arena how early they start, working out how early they have the team, shoot around then their individual, shoot around then, their workout then they're all of the prep that goes into getting ready for. A game i think they end up shooting around for a long time before the game.
Speaker 2: Like this the. Whole day this is. Professional, basketball okay they didn't have. School today they don't have to wait TILL the jv. Game's, Over okay like this is, Professional. BASKETBALL marv i think it's kind of the same thing IN. The Nfl justin, Jeffer, said oh how do you make that? ONE hander i bet he practices that all.
Speaker 6: The time, He does he's got tons, Of Him, jamar chase any other top, notch receiver anything Besides the saquan uh, turnaround jump.
Speaker 2: Which he's clearly. Never, practiced right that's still one of the Craziest things i've ever seen in. My life what do we have any? Poll question Idea, seeing, heck.
Speaker 3: Yeah okay what do You got, Let's, see well we could start with how much college basketball have? You watched your only options are a ton? Or none which are you? Closer to everybody's watched a little.
Speaker 2: Most people most people are much closer. To none and if you ask me that in, A month i will say. A ton.
Speaker 4: It's unbelievable it's like you go from none to a ton.
Speaker 2: Like that this is why We're Getting john rothstein on at Eleven am EASTERN From. Cbs sports this is RIGHT when i get into. College basketball my father in law was texting me last night From The bucknell. Loyola game my wife and sister in law Went, to BUCKNELL like i love the. Smaller tournaments we'll talk about, it more but, you KNOW obviously i went TO An ivy, league, school RIGHT so i Just want PRINCETON to i don't Even follow princeton until. Right now now, it's, like hey you, guys better you guys better win these games and get To The March. Madness seaton do.
Speaker 3: You root For All ivy league schools in the tournament or do your rivalries Being a princeton guy still, staying intact it's a.
Speaker 2: Great QUESTION and i have. Mixed, EMOTIONS yes i root for THEM because i think it's good FOR The ivy league and. It's cool but then when, They lose. I'm, happy yeah any other poll question that.
Speaker 3: Is, THAT'S great pauli sent one. Over here if you ran a, sports network you WOULD sign i think this is going to be. A landslide by, The Way, Charles BARKLEY. Stephen a smith, Or OTHER.
Speaker 2: Steven a smith just got one hundred million dollars for. Five years you just. Got paid so there aren't that many people that you really do tune, in, For right so that show you Know That steven ason people are tuning in. For him they want to, hear him which IS why i always think is a little bit interesting with the color commentators. For, football LOOK look i do THAT. For cbs that's that's one of. My jobs but people aren't really tuning in for the color commentator right like whoever, It Is, aightman buck, You Know. Brady romo they're really tuning in because it's the best and. Biggest game we gotta get back to the college troops conversation as well as taking some of your calls at, eight seven seven TO three dp, SHOW plus i have. Career news i'm gonna break on the SHOW and i gotta give you my huge hockey lesson