Speaker 1: This is Patriots Unfiltered, presented by Toyota dot Com.
Speaker 2: All right, we're right into it here, No open. What happened, Matt? No, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I can't hear you. Don't hear you? All right, I gotta talk.
Speaker 1: About I don't tend to make opens after live shows.
Speaker 2: This isn't a live show.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 1: We had a live show previously.
Speaker 2: Oh, I see what you're saying. Okay, so you didn't have any content.
Speaker 1: No, I had plenty of content. I just don't like to use that kind of audio for the opens.
Speaker 2: Okay. I just so you know, I look forward to your opens. All Right, Tuesday here at JS Stadium, and it's Evan as Paul, it's me, it's Deuce. Is Matt in the booth. We just got back from practice, and this is uh more than yesterday. Yesterday was just a walk through. Today was a little bit higher tempo, shells helmets. Tomorrow will be a day off and they'll go into pads on Thursday. But you know, let's get right into it. What do we think so far? We haven't been on the air since Saturday. Yeah, so what are our impressions so far? We've had four practices.
Speaker 5: Right, yeah, yeah, well, I tell you.
Speaker 6: After practice, Christian Gonzalez said it felt like the first real day of training camp with the humidity and the competition ramping up a little bit, and I agree with him. I thought, uh, maybe a slow start over the first couple of days for Drake, but I felt like he kind of started to find a little bit of a rhythm today, especially with Kishan Boody, who's been you know, their best player in camp is he's made catches every day and we got.
Speaker 2: To him, but you brought it up. I mean, all he does is catch pass then he does It's all he does. Gets open and he catches it when it's thrown to him. And I mean, I'm I'm high on booty.
Speaker 6: You've been You've been big on booty for a while now, Fred, and I think you're right too.
Speaker 5: I mean it's just you're watching the practice and you're like, you can't get rid of this guy.
Speaker 6: He's just I mean, I felt in some ways he was kind of part of the reason why Drake kind of started to settle down a little bit, making, you know, one.
Speaker 5: Of his catches. So, yeah, we'll see how continues to develop.
Speaker 6: I think Evan's got a good take on you know, Brown, and that seems like a work in progress, not quite connecting downfield, but seems a little off. The short stuff seems to be picking up that relationships, so hopefully that continues to grow, you know. But Pop Douglas playing pretty well, still waiting for Dobbs to kind of break out show us what kind of player he can be.
Speaker 2: I think I haven't seen anything from Dobbs now.
Speaker 7: He's been quiet.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he's been thinking. One catch maybe in the second team. I think I don't think it was with Drake along the sideline.
Speaker 7: Of that, Drake threw him a quick screen on a uh. It was kind of like, you know, a bunch.
Speaker 5: Of yeah, okay, you know, what do you like to call all the motion?
Speaker 7: No, but what do you like to call all the the deception kind of stuff? You know, like you always have it, you have a little name. It'll come to me. It'll come to me later in the show. But it was, yeah, it was like, you know, some motion screen, but like that's what they've had to do to get the ball to Brown. In Dobbs, they had like the traditional plays, you know, ten twelve yard outs or seams and slams, I haven't really seemed to be connecting on them. On the flip side, I think the defense has been pretty solid, so I'll might set the table for offense, so I'll say I think the coverage has been pretty tight. You know, it's we talked about Gonzales, you know, Gonzales and Carlton Davis I think have been pretty sharp early on. Unfortunately, today looked like Davis maybe something with his leg. I don't know, he didn't finish the practice. Charles Woods went in his place and he was I thought, having a pretty good practice. Then he didn't finish the practice. Chucky Trees my guy. So maybe depth that corner are gonna get tested here a little bit with a couple of you know, hopefully just nagging injuries, nothing too serious, but we don't know about the extent. But I thought the secondary for the most part has been pretty solid. And Mike's right, the one guy you know downfield making places has been Booty and Douglas is his regular self on the crossing routes, you know. And beyond that, I think that the SEC and Darius had an upper hand and most of the.
Speaker 6: Most of the That was the highlight yesterday for me. And it's just they they're really good. I mean, Carlton Davis, Christian Goanzalez both making plays, Marcus Jones super fast, flying around, presence in the middle, you know, Craig Woodson and Buyer. To see how they're starting to work those guys in. So to me right now, if you had asked what the best unit has been over the first four days of practice, I'd say it's the second area.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: That's always the fun part about camp is we can praise the secondary that it makes it sound like we're crapping on the passing game. I thought the first three days of practice were I just don't like how they do it. Now I'm just gonna I'm an old curmudgeon about it, Like this five day ramp up period and you go out there and it's you have two practices and shorts and T shirts, then you have a walk through. Then today really finally felt like, okay, we're into training camp a little bit with the shells. But the first three days and I think just in general, there's just not a lot of opportunities, Like there's just not a lot of spots that are up for grabs, and that's a good thing. Like That's a positive thing is we're not going into training camp being like, who's the left tackle or is the quarterback any good? Or you know, what's going on with the coaching staff because we have new coaches. You know, this has been kind of ho hum, you know, I think for the first four days of camp, because there's just not a whole lot, you know, unless you're really really into like the third tight end or the running back depth or you know, Paul mentioned corner as maybe a spot that we're going to get a look at some of those depth guys. Now. So I've been a little bit.
Speaker 2: Speaking of running back depth twenty nine fast, thirty nine, thirty nine, I'm sorry thirty nine.
Speaker 5: Paul, you observed that as well.
Speaker 7: Did you know you've been reading my blogs?
Speaker 5: Nope, I no, why would I do that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, both those rookies appreciate you. Jam Miller, Miles Montgomery. They're basically like carbon copies of each other. You look at their athletic profiles, like their height, weight, speed, it's like exactly the same. It's like pete and repeat.
Speaker 6: So how close is jam Millard Damien Harris? Because I keep looking at him and I'm like, is that Damien Harris, I don't move. It's in an Alabama thing, but I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think Demon hair is a little bigger and slower.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think, yeah, I agree, more of.
Speaker 3: Like a power guy. Dan Miller is fast.
Speaker 2: But I was impressed yesterday with thirty nine speed. I mentioned it to and I go, who's this kid?
Speaker 3: Speed?
Speaker 7: Speed is good?
Speaker 6: I mean I thought he had a little burst. It's you know, the running game, you know, with no pads.
Speaker 7: But there was one particular play I think it was in Sunday's practice that he just sort of had a big hole off of right tackle and.
Speaker 2: Boom, Yeah, that might have been the one.
Speaker 7: He went right down the sideline. Was like, there's a little juice there.
Speaker 2: Speed of speed.
Speaker 7: I haven't seen that from Miller. I've seen it from Montgomery.
Speaker 3: Especially when you factor in those guys needing to contribute on special teams and kickoff return. If you got that straight line speed like that and some juice like that's going to translate to kickoff return and whoever's that third running back is is going to be the kickoff.
Speaker 2: And I know people think I'm just kidding and they don't want to hear it. But another guy was just catching everything throwing his way, chif catches, he's catching the and he's getting a little run with the ones as well as mostly the twos. But uh, like he's on, like Evan you said it, yes the other day, he's almost too good for the twos. He coming out with the skiers and he dominates right now.
Speaker 3: He's a four A player. Yeah, again that's not a knock, but I feel like when he's out there with like the twos and threes, he's he's catching passes, and when he gets out there with the ones, you don't really see him as much. And you know, unfortunately for him, he's got to start making plays with the ones if he's really getting a stick in the league.
Speaker 6: I mean, I sticking on those lines. So I've been kind of impressed with just the back of quarterbacks. I thought they've been pretty good. They're you know, they've been completing passes to Vito and even Morton. Very small sample size for Morton, but you know, going back to the spring, I thought those guys have looked like they know what they're doing.
Speaker 7: Their decisive to me for a guy, this is a third guy who's not getting a lot of reps, who is a Day three late Day three pick. I think he's looked the part.
Speaker 6: I think he's he looks like when he runs the plays, they generally get that.
Speaker 7: The operation looks pretty smooth. Yeah, and I've seen you know, Fred, and I will tell you, like you can give you a laundry list of guys that have got those like you know, those those mop up reps late and it's just like, are they even running the play? Like did they have a play in the hut Brady, you know, like remember, but it was just nothing ever looked right. And I haven't seen a play yet. I'm not telling you that every play that Morton's run has been, you know, flawlessly executed, but I haven't seen a play that looked like a like a fire drill yet either. Yeah, you know, and I can remember like the Todd Mortenson's of the world and some of these just obscure names that you can and like like was that even in the Patriots playbook or were they running a scout play or something like? I haven't seen that With Morton. I think the timing has been there. He threw an out today on the on the near sideline that was absolutely pin perfect. I think it was to Dormer number eighty eight. Did I get that right?
Speaker 3: Usually formed eighty eighth guy on the rosters.
Speaker 7: Usually that's a wide receiver skill.
Speaker 3: Guys, we don't have to ask you about Jacob Rizzy's correct correct.
Speaker 7: But I have been fairly impressed with with Morton in the way he carries himself. And you know, I think he throws the ball pretty well. I think the timing and the execution of the plays. Again, I'm not trying to tell you that it's been perfect, but it looks better than I've seen a lot of the third stream quarterbacks.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I thought the offense, I didn't know if they were going to recover from the early loss in camp, but they have. Yeah, Jimmy Kibble being on IR.
Speaker 3: A couple of receivers gonna be all right.
Speaker 2: Jeremiah, I don't know I had high hose, but I think that Jeremiah wat I think.
Speaker 5: I don't him out too early.
Speaker 6: Yeah, no, I just real quick on Morton goes back to his ricky mini caamp. It was the same kind of thing. He completed like twelve passes and you were like, wow, that's you know, for a guy who got here yesterday.
Speaker 5: To step into this offense and be able to complete passes.
Speaker 7: So what does that all mean.
Speaker 6: Hopefully nothing, because we don't want to see either of those guys in the game. But you know, it at least makes it enjoyable when we get to have to watch these second third reps that you see guys like you know, Chisholm getting in there eli rared and making a couple of catches with the backups.
Speaker 5: Maybe that leads to more opportunities.
Speaker 6: I point out a guy like Kyle Williams, like to see a little bit more of him. I know yesterday some of the reporters were like, oh, he's buried on the depth chart. I'm like, did you need to see practice to know that? I mean, he's there's a lot of receivers above him. I'm just waiting to see if Kyle Williams starts to you know, either make a couple of plays or you know, because he's been invisible to me, I.
Speaker 3: Mean four he's got to be out there to make any plays, Like, I don't feel like he's getting any real reps. And the backup quarterbacks, you just hope that they allow other guys to kind of showcase their skills because they're not, so it's easy.
Speaker 5: Just to go to them every time.
Speaker 3: That's what I look at for the backup this time of year. Are you allowing theseus much?
Speaker 7: For me, the one to be honest with you.
Speaker 3: To make any plays. I honestly have not written down eighteen as single time this entire camp.
Speaker 7: No, there was one just kind of a routine again Patriot, like twelve yard out that looked very you know, it was I think it was Tommy DeVito and he ran off Pronty on the On the coverage, Kyle Williams did a nice nice job with the route sold the deep route cut it off, nice pitching catch. But he doesn't get a lot of reps with with the front liners. And I haven't really seen Chishm with the front liners either. It's been the other guys. And that's one thing that's been really impressive to me is just how many combinations that it's you know, you know, it's it's Brown and Dobbs, then it's like Hollins and Dobbs, then it's Booty with Douglas in Brown, like they have a lot of different options and combinations. I know I wasn't here yesterday, but aj Brown talked about that versatility being something that he was really excited about when that's impressed him about the offense and the different things they can do. Just like going like the first couple of sets of plays today, it was like virtually a different receiver group every like, you know, the different set of three, sometimes only two, but generally that those are the guys. It's it's it's.
Speaker 6: Always Douglas Brown, Dobbs, Booty in Hollands, those five in some some combination of those five.
Speaker 3: And I'd say that the top four are really the guys that were seeing in passing situations. They they've had some run formations with Mac Collins a couple of today where he's been the only receiver on the field. Paul's gonna love that. You know, it's gonna we're gonna have the full back in the backfield.
Speaker 7: But I just wondered getting back to Fred's guy, like so Booty and we keep we talked about this incessantly during the off season, and I just wonder if they just look at it at some point and say, I know, we don't really have a place for him, but it's just too productive to just say, well, we're not we don't have a role.
Speaker 3: Like especially for what it depends on what they're gonna get for him. Like, I think that's the biggest issue, is like it's not necessarily just he's too good to trade. It's he's too good to trade for what's out for nothing. Yeah, Like, if someone's gonna come and offer you, like a second round pick for kish On Booty, then I think you probably still think about it.
Speaker 7: I think if that was available, that would have happened longo.
Speaker 3: But maybe that's available by the end of the summer, if he has another great summer and somebody has an injuries or not, maybe not a second round pick, but a better trade becomes available in late August than what's available now. But I think we're getting to the point where someone's gonna have to really blow you, kind of blow you away with a trade offer to make it worthwhile.
Speaker 7: And I wonder too, if again we keep prefacing this by saying, you know, with four days into training camp and these guys are learning new offenses. But what if Dobbs isn't what we kind of all forecast for him. I know what I'm going to get from Booty. I don't know what I'm going to get from Dobbs yet. Now, Dobbs has had a better career to thus far, but that doesn't mean he's going to be a better Patriot receiver, right so I want or if maybe they're looking at this and saying, keep an open mind, yeah, maybe an open maybe, maybe let's just let this play out here. To Evan's point, someone might get hurt somewhere else, someone might get hurt here. I mean, we elevate him.
Speaker 5: We've been looking for receivers for so long.
Speaker 6: It's just to me the chemistry and the trust that Drake May has with Keishawan Booty right now, I just don't know how you take that out. I mean you even though you look like, hey, we got all these birds in a hand right now, it's like the only one you really know for sure right now.
Speaker 5: Is Booty, Like because he's the one who's been there and done it.
Speaker 7: He's so good.
Speaker 6: And those on those deep balls of using his body to shield the defender, you know, stack in the stack, and why do we stackall create separation?
Speaker 7: Did you see that play today?
Speaker 3: Was like it was perfect?
Speaker 7: He just like it was like a box.
Speaker 2: It was perfect.
Speaker 3: We want to make the defender go through your body.
Speaker 6: I told you this was this was the one that Build did to That was one of the ones that builded to me in one of those those stist production meetings, and I had to get up and show him and he's like, anyway.
Speaker 2: He did.
Speaker 7: I just think he's really really good right in here.
Speaker 2: Not no more.
Speaker 7: Sorry anyway. Booty to me is a guy that has clearly established, you know, that skill set in the offense, and you know A J. Brown obviously has two. I'm not suggesting they don't have that without Booty, but I do wonder if mac Collins has this specific role that Evan's talking about, you know, in sort of larger sets with you know, run dominant, is it worth it to have Booty in a in a specific set that you know, maybe he's not only going to play ten or twelve snaps a game, but we're going to take a shot or two to him every time. And he's proven last year he doesn't need the ball, he doesn't need to be the volume guy. He can make plays without the ball getting thrown on him ten times.
Speaker 2: All Right, some administrative news. So tomorrow is a day off for the team, no practice tomorrow. Thursday is pads. However, the forecast does call for rain, and we're told if it does come down, you know, really heavy or lightning, they might go inside. And if that's the case, no live show. So just want to let everyone know. Obviously we will keep people informed, but also, uh, you know, for those showing up for practice, you know, if you're in the within airshot, you're you're thinking of coming to practice on Thursday, keep an eye out for the weather forecast, and keep an eye on Patriots dot com because any announcements to practice change will be made there. So just want to let people know about Thursday. Could be weather could affect practice, so keep an eye on Patriots dot com for the latest news there. So all right, off, what.
Speaker 5: Hope the rain holds off? I want to be able to.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, if it's just rain, I hope they're still out there. But I can understand, like if it's counterproductive, it's like freaking like the other what was it Friday or Thursday? I forget the freaking mont was. You can't do anything at that. It's ridiculous.
Speaker 7: So I thought, that's what we're supposed to get tomorrow, But I don't know how long it's supposed to last. Tomorrow sounds like it's going to be pretty nasty, right, yeah, like flood watch kind of stuff, real old Testament stuff.
Speaker 2: Last few days have been absolutely gorgeous.
Speaker 5: That's been gorgeous.
Speaker 6: Yeah, But I do think today was a little hotter, And that's why I felt a little more like you know that more that like hot feeling on the side of the hill.
Speaker 5: Today was the first day I was like just.
Speaker 7: Sweaty the hill.
Speaker 6: I thought you were up with the idea because everybody was looking for you, guys.
Speaker 8: I go, my.
Speaker 5: Everybody was looking for us.
Speaker 7: Well, I said, I know it. Alls were up, I know it all.
Speaker 2: I like being above it. You get to see more.
Speaker 7: If I could see, I would probably share your opinion. I can't see from that. You know, you have the binoculars, like yeah, but then you can only see what you're looking at theocar.
Speaker 2: That's why people don't understand how binoculars work. That's all right.
Speaker 5: I don't like the telescope. Body's like, how does this thing work?
Speaker 7: I don't do binoculars very well.
Speaker 2: Like those opera classes that he holds like with B and flips it over.
Speaker 7: I just I think it's just broken.
Speaker 3: The combination, like Hey, it's the angle then, and like you're not high enough and you're at a weird angle. But then you also have all the grousing that's going to grousing.
Speaker 6: That's the best part the grouse, because I want to watch practice.
Speaker 3: I don't want to grouse. I want to page.
Speaker 7: I watch practice.
Speaker 2: Have been around when Faranello is here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you know that's we like our perch because.
Speaker 7: You're talking about a different group that just sort of congregates. There's like a cast of it grows by the day. There's like twelve thirteen of them. They just stand over here and they're all like, it's like a sewing circle.
Speaker 2: Group.
Speaker 5: Think there's too I mean, I like to dabble though I've been down a couple of days. I went up today with Evan.
Speaker 6: You know, I like to you know, see different people here, to hear different takes.
Speaker 3: You got to see the plate.
Speaker 6: But I do love the angle though it's it's being up high you just can kind of see everything. But you know, just to that point of the deep ball on Booty and Buyered, I mean, it's just it's so fun to watch that develop because you see Drake unleash it and then you turn right to the player and you can watch them jockeying, and I mean it was just you know, is he going to get I mean it was so close when the ball was in the air, But that, you know, as Paul said, just a skill that he has downfield, like and it's just not.
Speaker 5: Something that's valued a lot.
Speaker 6: Like I don't feel like people talk about like you do talk about contested catch receivers, but I think usually those are guys like Drake London or you know, bigger players that you're like, all right, we're just gonna get down to the red zone and chuck it up to this guy. But you know, I think that's something that you got to respect.
Speaker 5: For Kashan Boudy.
Speaker 6: I've always thought he had great hands, but his ability to track the ball downfield, you have to say it now, especially in the playoffs last year with the catch he head against Houston.
Speaker 3: But that's it.
Speaker 6: He's got a special talent to do that, And that to me is you know what's emerged. And we were kind of against you, Fred when you're saying like, how can we get rid of Booty and you know we were all kind of.
Speaker 5: Like, well, it's not really a spot for him.
Speaker 6: But I just you can't be in the business and getting rid of good players, and especially when they have a chemistry with your star quarterback. I you know, I is it crazy to think you try to keep this guy around somehow, I'm saying long term.
Speaker 2: You know, listen, I would like I said, just keep an open mind, Elliott Wolf, let it play, get on the phone, see what's out there, see who who wants what for who? And uh, like I said, just keep an open mind. Uh, tight end situation. Hunter Henry had a really nice grab at a nice throw from May today, but also young Raredan had a couple of nice catches.
Speaker 5: A couple of catches showing up a little bit. That's a good sign.
Speaker 6: I mean, Paul was talking about Tanner Arkin on the rap video that we did as well.
Speaker 2: Who had a rap video?
Speaker 9: We did?
Speaker 5: No, It's just we did. We wrapped it up, Sorry, wrapped it up. We didn't do a rap video. We would have got Matt Morrell in there.
Speaker 6: Qy uh but good, you know, just good to see Raredan starting to show up a little bit. I mean, we talked about Kyle Williams. Haven't seen anything from him, first team, second team, whatever. It was, but you know, little pieces here and there from him and Tanner Arkin maybe the Jewel Hill kind of mad dog blocker that if they want to have a bunch of different packages and make teams prepare for a bunch of different things, maybe tannor Arkin carves out a role for himself if he can. You know, I think it's going to be interesting to watch him with the pads on, because now let's see what this UDFA has when he's got to, you know, go block some real NFL players.
Speaker 3: I have no doubt that he's gonna be able to block people. No doubt that Raradan is going to be able to catch some passes.
Speaker 2: No doubt.
Speaker 3: I know, I have a little bit of doubt that they're going to be able to do the other thing like Rared, and I don't know if he's gonna be able to block and so, you know, is he a third down player to start? Is he a situational two minute third down that kind of thing, which is fine, But I think the one thing with those two guys is it feels like if you could fuse them together, then you'd have a real backup tight end on your hands. But they're gonna be a little bit predictable. I think when one of those.
Speaker 2: Times I'll ask you ball knowers, with the way practice is structured and no pads and all that, is there a way in training camp to get better at blocking like offensive lineman I'm talking about like a tight end for.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think the biggest thing with blocking is it's all angles. It's leverage and angles. Yeah, So you know a lot of blocking is done with your feet in your hands and not necessarily just like your raw power. So you know a lot of these drills that they're doing, even though they're just kind of I compare to like basketball, they're just sliding to kind of like stay in front of guys more so than they are really engaging with guys. All of that it starts with your feet. It's like throwing. It's like throwing with a quarterback. It all starts with your feet. So you know, a lot of those angles and a lot of the leverage and positioning that they're trying to drill. All that stuff can improve your blocking a lot. But with rered and I think he is going to have to add some weight if he's going to be an inline blocker. But we see him as a receiver and I think he's got speed. I think he's got good instincts for it. He's got you know, decent hands that we.
Speaker 7: Have a frame too.
Speaker 5: I think he's got the frame to put some weight on.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he's a good athlete. I like to see him a little bit more with some of the front line guys. But you know, I think that's right now, that's Arkin. I wonder if you're going to see I don't if you had to ask me right now, I wouldn't expect to see a whole lot of multiple tight end sets in this offense. I think they're going to go in different routes with that.
Speaker 3: They're young, they're young, you know, both those guys are rookies, they're young players. To have them be playing a lot like Austin Hooper was for them last year. And I brought up the the blocking and stuff because like Arkin probably fits a little bit better next to Hunter Henry in terms of a skill set, because Henry is not much of a blocker either, but he's more of a pass catcher. So Ardan and Henry together like that feels like third and eight, like you know, like a third down thing, like not necessarily like a base offense kind of thing. Arkin. I think you're seeing him run a lot with the first team offense because when they get into first and ten from the twenty five and they want to run the ball or at least threat to run, they need somebody that can block and put his hand in the durt and block some people.
Speaker 7: There were a handful of plays that he was with Argin was with the first group today, and I think all but one of them was a running play, and they did do a little play action lead him out in the flat and he caught a very you know, modest gain. But you know, probably just seeing what exactly he can do in terms of movement in space and stuff.
Speaker 3: That's what I've been wat Yeah, put you out on the flat on the back side of it.
Speaker 5: Can he just do enough?
Speaker 10: You know?
Speaker 2: Can he just? Like is he?
Speaker 6: That's and that's what I'm trying to see. How stiff is he? You know in routes and all that stuff.
Speaker 3: He didn't even do it a lot in college, you know, like Illinois basically ran him as a sixth offensive lineman, you know, and that was a big part of it. But he can block. I mean, I there's no doubt.
Speaker 2: All right, eight five to five. Pass five hundred is the hotline podcast at Patriots dot com is the email address. I want to hear what you have to say, what your questions are. I remember it's only day four. We haven't seen any tackling, no pads yet, so we're not going to be making any judgments on Kyle Williams can't play or Drake may is this or no judgments. We're going to just state the facts. Somebody had a good catch, We'll tell you had a good catch. But you know it's too early for any declarative judgments yet, Way way too early. Zoe was there.
Speaker 5: The elevator set up, are set up.
Speaker 2: We're on one of the ramps overlooking the field, and then ninety eight point five is on a ramp above us, like way back. So I'm sitting there with my back and I hear I set up. I turn around. I go, yeah, he goes our sucks.
Speaker 7: He's probably on the air at the time.
Speaker 2: And then the next thing I hear is we got food. I'm supposed to go running up to go eat food. He's not believable, he is.
Speaker 5: I rode the elevator on him.
Speaker 6: I saw him introduce himself to somebody, which was pretty fun, like, you know, someone like they didn't know who Zoe was.
Speaker 2: And then after the booty catch, I hear pay him.
Speaker 6: Pam Man Scott so I never thought when we were watching him as like the fill in for Bledsoe at times in like the mid nineties, that he would be such.
Speaker 7: A prominent part of all of our lives everywhere.
Speaker 3: He's problems the president.
Speaker 2: That was funny, kidding you. Let's get to the phones. Uh see what people have to say. We will start with HERM and d C. What's up?
Speaker 3: Herm?
Speaker 2: Hey?
Speaker 11: What's going on?
Speaker 10: Gentle man?
Speaker 2: Hey?
Speaker 11: I really enjoyed the the Live show on Saturdays, but that was that was pretty cool.
Speaker 2: You did, Thank you good. I'm glad you liked it.
Speaker 11: No, no, I really did. I have a quick one for you guys today, and I'll shut up and listen. So if Robert, if what Robert pray it is true? Right, I guess, And obviously I'm asking this as the president of Gonza's fan club. Why I guess. Why hasn't he signed to deal yet?
Speaker 10: Right?
Speaker 11: Is it a thing where it's just certain you know terms that he guess? Well, I have the contract?
Speaker 2: Yeah, her I mean, there's a lot we don't know about what Robert Kraft said. And if you're an agent, if that was the first offer, you never accept the first offer. Uh So that's one thing. Now maybe that's the third who we don't know how far along these negotiations are, but sure, you know, so if the agent could just be playing coy, could be just playing hardball and see can I get more? And then we don't know the details, how much of it is guaranteed, When does the money allocated? You know, you don't know a lot of the details. So even though it could be true that it's the highest cornerback deal that on the market, and it could be true that it's the highest UH contract in franchise history, there's still a lot of details that we don't know that the agent might want to just keep, you know, all right, give.
Speaker 5: Me guaranteed money here.
Speaker 3: Surrounding the devil is always in the details.
Speaker 2: But here's the here's the good news. If those two things are in fact fact that Robert Kraft said, if I'm Christian Gonzales, I know that's my baseline. At least I'm going to get that. So now it's just a matter of stay healthy so that I can get that, you know. But I think I'm I'm just from the way Gonzales is out there and you know, his body language, and from Robert Crafts saying that, and you know Vrabel, I think they're going to get this done. And I think they're going to get it done before camp's over.
Speaker 6: I mean, until he is not practicing and suddenly things change, that's when I think my concern would start to level. But right now, it feels like everything is fairly in good faith and he's here and you know, said today to Karen Grigian that he's going to be out there on Thursday.
Speaker 5: Will he be participating?
Speaker 6: We think so, but that's what he said about I'll be I'll be out there, but that'll be That'll be another box to check. Is he willing to, you know, participate in padded practices? And I think he will based on his demeanors. Yeah, absolutely, I think it's a good sign. I mean, I'm I'm cautiously optimistic. But again, there could come and practice and all of a sudden he ain't going with the ones anymore and he's kind of.
Speaker 5: Watching that that would be concerning.
Speaker 6: But fingers crossed something happens soon and they announce it and then you know we're off.
Speaker 2: So, you know, if I was a player, I wonder if it's possible to take insurance out on yourself. Yeah, you know, so that it's you know, separate from anything the league offers or the team offers, Like if I get injured, I have this insurance policy. There is, Yeah, there is.
Speaker 3: There's a lot. And like soccer players get their legs insured all the time, like like their right foot, you know, like if they're like a soccer the r right foot dominant, like you know, stuff like that. But normally that's for like like policies for things that would happen off the field, like you know, like an accident or something like that.
Speaker 2: Not necessarily. Yeah, I'm talking about like you know, yeah, I think those get injured playing football.
Speaker 6: That seems like an Alex newsletter question, like what would each of us ensure if we had to ensure?
Speaker 2: Okay, that's a good that's.
Speaker 5: Think about that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, thoughts start.
Speaker 3: I still think, you know, with the Gonzo thing, though I know him not holding out, Like I still think that the Patriots, like I still think they have most of the leverage here and I think that his leverage is playing and playing well. You know, their leverage is he's under contract for this year and the year the fifth year option year. So really like they're paying him early if they pay him.
Speaker 2: This off's true.
Speaker 3: So like from his from the team perspective, they have team control over the player for two more years. So then I don't think that they, in a vacuum would be in a huge rush to extend him. From Gonzo's perspective, and you know, you gotta prove you're worth it, you know, to get him locked up.
Speaker 7: That's the balance, and that's what makes these things difficult and sometimes why they take so long, is you weigh it. Yes, the team, everything even said is true. The team I think has more leverage right now than Gonzales because of the obvious. But at the same time, if everything works out the way you want on it to as the team, in other words, Gonzales continues to play, play well and stay healthy, the number is just going to go up. It's just going to cost you more in the long run. See Dallas Cowboys who do this virtually every time they wait, they wait, they wait, and then they end up having to pay through the nose.
Speaker 2: Well, that might be strategy. They might think it's worth paying more to be more sure, you know, you know, so I.
Speaker 5: Don't, I mean not to take it to a dark place.
Speaker 6: But like Carlton Davis gets banged up a little, Like, what if that's a serious injury, does that suddenly give Gonzales a little more leverage? If you're saying, uh, oh, Carlton Davis is you know, broke his broke steamers can be out for the year.
Speaker 7: Like I wanted to go with something crazy, like I was thinking like a hammy or something like that's probably what it is.
Speaker 6: But I'm not, you know, but I'm just saying generally, if if Davis were to get hurt, like it gives Gonzalez even more leverage.
Speaker 5: I feel like, because he's.
Speaker 2: Speaking of broken stems. How big a flower basket did you send to Kyle Shanahan?
Speaker 3: I thought it, like should I go? Like which way should I go? Like maybe he needs help with food, you know, like an edible arrangements into fruit. You know, I don't know which direction we wanted to go, but I'm glad.
Speaker 5: But so we did break his fing right and see didn't.
Speaker 2: Extensive injuries forty stitches in his face, a concussion. Somebody wasn't wearing their seat belt. It sounds like, but that's just me. I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 12: But anyway, everybody knew about it for two weeks and yeah, well that's to me is the interesting thing that makes me think a lot about you know, our own coverage, and just that's the outrageous that they all knew about this, they all buried it and weren't willing to talk about it.
Speaker 7: Interesting.
Speaker 2: Uh, I mean all these head coach news things lately and coach stuff and coaches, you know, position coaches getting fired. Weird.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the commander's tight ends coach got the boot before, like the day before.
Speaker 7: What happened? I missed this one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the commanders fired their tight ends coach. I'm pretty sure they reported today and they fired their tight ends coach like yesterday.
Speaker 7: So something happened off, something happened.
Speaker 3: I don't want to speculate, I just something happened off. That's the fact they fired their tight ends.
Speaker 6: They got like a really sad story in Kansas City with Eric Bay and his wife his son allegedly shot by his son.
Speaker 7: Yeah that's yeah, that's that's not.
Speaker 6: Not good as they say, could hull. I was just going to bring this up. Rabel announced the off season award winners. Just wanted to mention those as well. Were you guys in I was not, I was hyping the crowd. I read Oh good, Mike. I read the transcript, and this was thoroughly confused. Like, yeah, she probably should have, Like, were those the award winners? Of those guys that performed well in the off season? Were those the only award winners? The ones that he just just the four guys? Ways, you mentioned four second year guys the way.
Speaker 3: He said it was, the second year guys all kind of stood out, and then he named those four players specific.
Speaker 7: Right, So does that mean that they were the only four award winners?
Speaker 3: For that is how we all took it in the room.
Speaker 7: I know that's how I was taken how it read. So it was, but I wasn't there, so I wouldn't. I would certainly defer to you guys.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was Will Campbell, Chair Wilson, Kyle Williams and Ponder and Christian Ponder Chris that's the quarterback.
Speaker 5: Where'd that come from? Not Sam Ponder's husband. Yeah, those four guys.
Speaker 6: So, I mean all guys that that you'd like to see something out of this year, especially the two Linemen and Pond.
Speaker 7: It was.
Speaker 2: You're right, you're right, Yepkay back to the phones. Anthony's in Seattle. What's up Anthony? Hey?
Speaker 9: It was up bread. Paul Deuce, Hey, hey, I got a bit of a funny observation once. See what you guys think of it? So uh so the order of things was turned out on very fortunate for Patriots fans. We signed A J.
Speaker 13: Brown.
Speaker 9: They go on to mini camp. It's like instant chemistry with Drake May. He's got all these worldly bird catches and all that good stuff. Meantime, Chris Singan's Allez has got it kind of hold in all this stuff. And then they leave. They come back in it's training camp, and then there must be you know, good movement on the contract talks, because Gonzo surprises everybody and he's a full participant now on. In a completely unrelated note which is maybe possibly related, we haven't seen or heard from AJ Brown since and the thing that it's funny to me, but also I'm not worried because A J. Brown doesn't have to face Gonzo every week. But I do feel like it's very fortunate that that Gonzo wasn't a participant, like if he was a full participant in mini camp and then he's come in and he's shutting AJ Brown down, like as soon as we got the guy, and we didn't get a chance to see him like look like a number one and make these amazing plays and say, Okay, we got a guy. We gave him a number one pick. He still looks like a J. Brown. I'm gonna be a little concerned because you know, we'd say, okay, well he's got Christian Gonzolts on him. But at the same time, we're like, he's coming off a down year by his standard, and he hasn't he's not able to get oldenings but do anything. So I think it was kind of fortunate the order on which things went. Curious to see what you guys think, that's all I got.
Speaker 3: Okay, I concern level for AJ Brown is zero. Now. The other newcoming receiver that they signed in free agency may be a little bit higher on Romeo Dobbs, but I think a lot of what we're seeing with AJ Brown right now is him and Drake may getting on the same page. You know, I want you to curl look for the ball on your outside shoulder instead of your inside shoulder. I want you to when you get go across the field on a crossing route, I want your depth at twelve yards instead of you know, ten or eight or whatever like. These are all things that they're working out this time of year, and I and I don't. I think the one thing you would say with AJ Brown is like AJ Brown is not this like elite separator anymore where he's getting five yards of separation on routes. So the quarterback's got to nowhere to put the all for him, you know, they they've got to be on the same page and have that kind of chemistry so that he throws him open where AJ Brown can use his hands and use his body control. All that kind of stuff is going to come.
Speaker 2: And I saw one moment where uh May had to adjust his you know, at the line of scrimmage, had to tell a J. Brown where to go. And especially last year where like Evan you said that in Philadelphia he was kind of used one way and here is being asked to do a whole bunch of stuff, which is a good thing. And he says he likes it, but it's going to be a learning curve.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, No, I'm not.
Speaker 6: I share Evan's thoughts, and I'm just excited to see those guys get going. I think they will. And I think when the pads come on too, just because of the physicality A J. Brown, that might that might boost a little bit too.
Speaker 7: But I agree with Evan's point too, because I I don't think when you watch him like I don't, I don't see any issues physically, you know, I don't see him.
Speaker 6: I mean, I think he still moves well. And it is a matter of are they locked in?
Speaker 7: Do they know where? You know? Does does Drake have the confidence as to where he's going to be? And I think that can be just developed with more consistency, you know, running the routes and doing all the things that you need to do. Would you unplug here, Freddy? Yeah, I mean I'm not overly concerned, but I do think there's you know, there's a learning curve for both Dobs and Brown. And I think it's not necessarily something that I'm saying like, well, he's declining Brown here specifically, he's declining and this is just the start of it. And this doesn't look good that said. I mean, I'd like to see him catch more than I think. Someone said today he's like caught three out of ten passes that Drake has thrown to him. I don't you know, you guys know I don't charge such things, but that you know, to my just anecdotally, that makes sense. Yeah, because I haven't seen a lot of connections between it.
Speaker 3: Just seems like a lot of it is like you know, he had one today where he was curling up in front of Charles Woods and A J. Brown curled in and Drake May threw it to his outside shoulder, so he turned inside to look for the ball and the ball was outside and if he had just turned outside like Drake May saw it, it's ketch, right, It's it's not a big catch, but it's a catch. You know. The interception they had the other day I thought was on Drake. I just he was wide open in the middle of the field and he just sailed it, you know it just yeah, you know, So like I think there's a lot of that kind of context that exists within it because at this point in time, like I said, I don't think AJ Brown is somebody that's going to create all this separation is going to be wide open as a result, I think that you're going to have to use body positioning and contested catchability and all that good stuff kind of like what we see with Booty and that type of stuff takes time. You know, that takes reps. So I also like it wasn't I didn't think Diggs was like electric in camp last summer either, Like I didn't think that Diggs was like consistently great in camp either. So that's why I'm just not I expect aj Brown to be there week one and look like a has been.
Speaker 2: Placed on NiFi. Yes, yes, when did that happen? The other day?
Speaker 6: We did see him walk up the hill and seem like he briefly was like you know, watching so.
Speaker 2: Uh, Josh from half Moon, New York writes in first, he wants to say that you were absolutely right, Deuce. Uh. Going to camp is a great take. He's went with his kid and they got a bunch of autographs, so they were having the great experience for an eight year old kid. Yep, So he wants to thank you for that. But also he has a question about how NFI works. Is it the same as PUP. Do they get six weeks into the season before they have to be activated or they revert to I R. So how does NFI work.
Speaker 3: It's the same, it's four weeks, though not six, but it's both of them are treated exactly the same. You can come off the list at any time during training camp. Once you get into the season, you get moved to reserve PUP or reserve NFI, and then you have four weeks. It's a four week windows. So it's all of them. There's the same I R, N FI, p UP all kind of operate the same in season. Out of season, obviously it's a little bit different. But he could we could be out there on Thursday and any of those guys could be off the list just like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: The one difference between n FI and PUP is payroll.
Speaker 6: They're not necessarily on the hook to pay them for an NFI situation as opposed to a PUP.
Speaker 3: That's why, because it depends on the PUP. Is a football injury it happened here at the facility, NFI is it happened away from the facility. Usually when a player is training away from the.
Speaker 7: And it doesn't mean he's not getting paid but I'm saying, when when a player is on n FI, he is not necessarily getting paid, they can still choose to pay them, you know. In other words, if a guy was like they cut him, if he was working out on his own and he got hurt, you know, like preparing for the season or something like that, they might pay him anyway.
Speaker 5: Screwing around.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he was you snowmobiling, you know in you know, in Colorado or something, and he hit a tree. You know, maybe they wouldn't.
Speaker 3: That feels like a you know, like schooler, feels like a weight room injury. You know, like he was working out for the season and came in was like, I don't know, oh yeah, I'm not feeling great. Uh. You know c J. Dupree is walking around with a cast on his wrist that looks like he got hurt in mini camp and we just didn't know about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I want to welcome aboard our new sponsor, Legal Seafoods. Legal Seafoods is giving fans a true taste of Boston this season as the official seafood restaurant of the New England Patriots. Pregame or postgame Get the Seafood you Love at your local restaurant today Legal Seafoods dot com. I'm glad to have you when one of your sponsors is something you truly love to use, loved, like brunt workwear or Legal Seafoods. It's a tradition in my house Christmas Eve tradition. We bring in the big shrimp cocktail and the clamshowder and we have that for Christmas Eve every year. We've been doing that for a long That's funny.
Speaker 3: We do too.
Speaker 2: That.
Speaker 5: What's funny because I had We used to always take my grandmother out.
Speaker 6: That was her favorite place. That was always where we went for her birthday was Legal Seafood. When I used to come here to visit, I kind of had a tradition. I would stop at the Legal Seafood right at the brain Tree Split right there, and I would have, you know, sit at the bar and have this seafood castle that they don't make anymore, which maybe now, Oh it's beautiful, yeah yeah, yeah. So I'm excited and hopefully we get some chowder or something, or at least some hats or something.
Speaker 7: They want something the second I'm going to get it. Anyway, this story would be that like his grandfather you know, actually actually created legal seafood.
Speaker 2: Legal seafood. Welcome aboard.
Speaker 3: You and Barth are like that. You both love story about you're nostalgia like, Oh and I was you know a kid that we used.
Speaker 2: To do this?
Speaker 7: Why Mike can't I get along so well?
Speaker 5: Great seafood, I love it.
Speaker 2: Take a break while we think of legal seafood food and we'll be right back.
Speaker 13: Come Welcome on newest restaurant edition at Atriot Place, Estella brings a celebration of flavors with a modern fusion menu. Exciting cocktails and brunch available daily beginning at eleven am. Enjoy freshly brewed coffee and Mediterranean inspired breakfast and lunch from Angels Cafe. Craving the classics, Chick fil A makes it easy to grab your favorite with mobile through carry out and dine in options. Download the Patriot Place Advantage app for special offers and to earn rewards every time you visit Patriot Place Shop dine.
Speaker 14: Enjoy the heaviest metal credit card of all time, wielded at business dinners like a samurai sword. It's a classic corporate power move, but the real power move, having end to end visibility on your most critical shipments FedEx the new power move.
Speaker 15: Whether you're in the game or betting on the game, you'll need a game plan. Draftking Sportsbook, the official sports betting partner of the New England Patriots, provides you with everything you need to build your personal betting game plan so you can get in on all the action while practicing safe bets. Visit Kings dot com slash Responsible dash Gaming to learn more about all the safe betting tools DraftKings has to offer. Hope is here eight hundred and three two seven fifty to fifty or gambling Helplinema dot org must be twenty one plus. Play it smart from the start game.
Speaker 2: Sincema dot com physically president Massachusetts, see DraftKings dot com slash Responsible dash Gaming for details and statespecific responsible gambling resources.
Speaker 16: There's enough needless nonsense in the world already. Your phone plan shouldn't add to it. Verizon's new Simplicity Plan cuts down on the nonsense in your life. Now there's just one plan, one price, thirty dollars a line per month, even for a single line, and everyone gets our best five Gunit work. It's a phone plan designed to do exactly what a phone plan is supposed to do? Isn't that a lot simpler? Switch today at brizon dot com or at your nearest store for new customers, thirty dollars per line includes autopay and switch discount, additional taxi fees in terms Prime unlimited data is retricted to on devicemarphone usage to Messa data roaming at two G speeds.
Speaker 17: If you're gonna play the game boy, you gotta learn to play right.
Speaker 2: DraftKings is all about responsible game.
Speaker 6: It's more fun when it's for fun, So played responsibly.
Speaker 7: Draft Kings. The Crown is yours. Gambling probably called tent one hundred Gambler twenty one plus.
Speaker 5: Agent eligibility varies by jurisdiction.
Speaker 2: Four twenty all The Dot News broke to AJ Brown had been traded to the Patriots.
Speaker 10: Bigger things were at play and A J. Brown as they launched the team.
Speaker 7: Thing's back with Mike rabela.
Speaker 4: K A J.
Speaker 6: Brawn is now a member of the New England Patriots, reuniting with Mike vrabel of their Tennessee Titans fame.
Speaker 18: She's talking to my mom, you know, I was like, man, I'm still in Ah, you know, walking up the hill uh.
Speaker 2: With the with the uniform on, I was like, man, this is uh, this is real.
Speaker 19: You have nine players that were drafted, another dozen undrafted free agents, plus seventeen players.
Speaker 2: That are in for a tryout.
Speaker 20: All of these young men looking to achieve their dream of one day.
Speaker 2: Playing in the NFL.
Speaker 21: We got forty four new players that weren't with us last year in the spring.
Speaker 2: Okay, and I.
Speaker 21: Think that you gots are starting to pregure out how we want to do things.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 18: It's mass made to have them going back to my roots, you know, and let's feels good.
Speaker 20: I think it's crucial to really you know, rehash off of last year being with the same office coordinator, same head coach, you know, same pieces, some of the same pieces that we have of you know, what we did well, what we can improve on, aspirations that we have of maybe getting to that game again and be on the right side of it. So little things that maybe can we can talk about now that can come to life here in f any camp that we can talk about and be like, remember you know this and no tas of what we said we wanted accomplished to maybe reach that goal.
Speaker 21: Gosh, just keep building Hey, we actually be better than we were yesterday.
Speaker 2: And we were absolutely we got to work more urgency this year.
Speaker 1: We're kind of just building on to the foundation that we already set.
Speaker 10: Oh, guys are just getting more confident in.
Speaker 7: Their skills every day that we come in.
Speaker 18: You know, we're just ready ready for the opportunity again.
Speaker 20: And phase one of our offense and kind of build it from there is you can kind of teach them the foundation.
Speaker 19: You know, we build a lot of charaderie out here, a lot of new faces in the building and everything, and I feel like, you know, this is where it starts, and uh, you.
Speaker 7: Know, we got to build a good foundation.
Speaker 10: Really talented teams.
Speaker 18: So I'm excited to obviously get to the real OTAs and practices and things like that so we can really start to jail together as a team.
Speaker 20: I think it's great to you know, get around the new guys, you know, new guys on defense, new guys on offense, you know, joining them and seeing you know, bringing them in to you know, how we do things and how we can see them in our offense. So I think it's great to you know, have guys like Romeo and Abt and guys that are new additions for us that are going to make be good players for us in this offense work shut ups man playing together on and three does.
Speaker 22: Do you feel his rooms to add a top proced if the opportunity presents itself, perhaps even in the coming week.
Speaker 23: We always, and again, and when I say we, that includes Elliott, Ryan and Stretch the coaching staff. We want to continue to improve the roster every opportunity that.
Speaker 5: We get, pointing out that it's now likely.
Speaker 2: That A. J.
Speaker 7: Brown goes to the Patriots.
Speaker 10: At the end of the day, it's.
Speaker 24: His speak planet throws off his backup whine.
Speaker 10: Open down the field.
Speaker 9: He's got his man's A J.
Speaker 7: Brownie took in the second round out of own this.
Speaker 4: When you look at it in totality, I think it's more about the fit in the mentality of A J. Brown in this Patriots culture that they're trying to build as a football player.
Speaker 6: We know a J.
Speaker 4: Brown is going to play well and play at a high level.
Speaker 10: It's another gift to Drake May.
Speaker 23: The unique thing about the players is there's forty four new players to our spring football.
Speaker 14: The New England Patriots select Killer Lamoo, Dave acis Eli, Rara dun Cob.
Speaker 10: Plenty excited about the players that we got.
Speaker 23: They knew my affinity for the for some of the players that we took.
Speaker 2: Love you know, the atmosphere of the team.
Speaker 19: Coach Grabel is the energy that he brings the team, you know, shaking the hands of all the players.
Speaker 10: After the games.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 19: I love that as a head coach, and you know, the energy that just wears off with everyone else.
Speaker 20: It's a full house for the Patriots as they hold their rookie mini camp this weekend.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I see, how's it going.
Speaker 19: Run out they had last year going to the Super Bowl. You know the energy that this seem has. It's a young team with lots of energy and that's on the rise.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 17: I got a hundred feedback on those and then if you like to do as we can get more of them.
Speaker 10: If not, then we can go back to the drawing or let's figure someone this.
Speaker 8: Okay, I think this team is super well ran. With the character of this team, everyone cares about each other.
Speaker 10: I'm Mike Bradley. You can call me coach, you call me Mighty, call me brands.
Speaker 21: You don't have to call me sir. Okay, if you want to, you can. But this isn't this is pro football, Okay. We're making connections, We're making relationships. This is us prolong your journey, Okay, and everybody's got a different A.
Speaker 2: Lot of the meetings aren't about football.
Speaker 20: Well we do have football meetings, but there's a lot of meetings literally just focusing on the team identity and just our culture.
Speaker 10: Tell me somebody that helps serve your food. I'm hunder out of mill our fresh memory.
Speaker 21: I bet tomorrow we'll going in and we'll introduce ourselves to the men and women in that caffeteria that.
Speaker 25: Are busting our ass to make sure that you guys got something to eat. You look, you say Hi Jackie, I'm Kale, It's nice to meet you. Or Hi free Any I'm Caleb, it's nice to meet you. Okay, make sure we do that, fellas.
Speaker 10: That's sport.
Speaker 21: Most of you guys that have talked to Okay, what you got here, I refer to you having to own your own journey.
Speaker 10: Your journey is going to be different, okay than a lot of other guys.
Speaker 21: All these people in the room are going to help you understand what your journey is. If you don't know from this day on, none of that match where you were drafted.
Speaker 10: You have to understand it. Our rough we went to the super Bowl, okay, and this is not a knock one man. With the players that were.
Speaker 21: Not drafted that we're on second and third contracts that were major, major contributors.
Speaker 10: We signed to free as that were drafted in the eighth round. How many rounds are there?
Speaker 2: Baron?
Speaker 21: So they're sad right the eighth rown is, Hey, let's fuck you jus find a place where you come and develop.
Speaker 10: So I'm gonna tell you that first, it doesn't matter how you got it. The only thing that matters is what you do from this point up.
Speaker 8: Everyone's gonna play with effort and finish, and everyone's gonna do everything they can to prepare the best they can and play the hardest they can. And I think that's a big reason why you know that they played the way they did last year. And I think only you know the sky's the limit right now.
Speaker 26: On Monday, you're gonna be sitting in here with our football team, with the majority of our football team, and you won't be sitting in these same seats. You'll wait to the house go through all this later, but you'll wait for them to sit down. Okay, then you'll find a seat and we'll go through all that.
Speaker 21: But that's what we're trying to get you ready for, so that you can quickly gave earn their respect.
Speaker 10: There's nothing better that burning respect.
Speaker 3: Of that.
Speaker 7: And now great moments in.
Speaker 2: History.
Speaker 7: Rogers in Foxborough, Hey, Roger, Hey, guys.
Speaker 9: First of all, I think you need to let Meghan talk more.
Speaker 11: You guys bickering in the background.
Speaker 2: She's the best you have on that show. Okay, well listen another sign.
Speaker 7: My god, it's gonna be bigger than There's no muzzle on Megan.
Speaker 2: She can talk anytime she wants.
Speaker 9: So I heard that Dontrellan is retiring. Does that mean we have a chance for Danny at Wink to be a agitive.
Speaker 11: Receiver on this team?
Speaker 7: Now, I don't know about the retiring thing, but dontrell Emin looks lost in the first three days in practice.
Speaker 10: Second tell him right.
Speaker 20: He didn't he would late the camp and now he's not out here.
Speaker 11: Does feels like a guy.
Speaker 7: Dontrell Man wasn't late.
Speaker 5: He was not late to camp.
Speaker 1: No, there were reports that he was not going to show up on time, and then he did.
Speaker 7: He was he was, but he was here.
Speaker 22: Men, ye got your mouth less a lady's feet.
Speaker 7: Wow, you can continue to make stuff up. But he's been the first guy on the field the first days and then you can call him late if you want, but that's okay. But you can come without information and just be as smart. All right, you're right, thanks, Roger. I'm sorry, you're right, Roger.
Speaker 2: Roger bringing it. That's another great moment from of course, Roger was the one and only Andy Hart.
Speaker 6: Rogers only got me and he did not even disguise as not one bit very busy.
Speaker 7: But we were, in fairness, we were up in the ramps so sometimes like the audio is, and.
Speaker 2: We were actually not in the bleachers in the VIP section.
Speaker 7: Yeah, good call.
Speaker 5: I remember you guys did it there. That's so nice.
Speaker 7: But yeah, Andy Hart got me, catfished you loser.
Speaker 3: He has not changed one bit, Andy Hart, No, Paul, he's at the same interaction on but that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well he's always hated the fans. He don't ever change.
Speaker 7: He was the first guy on the field those first three years and then and then he left.
Speaker 2: What year was that?
Speaker 5: Oh, I don't know, why was any here was he off.
Speaker 3: Of the I want to say, like twenty ten's right, like eighteen nineteen?
Speaker 2: I mean he left? Was he was he out?
Speaker 5: I think he had just left Ryeah.
Speaker 6: I mean because if you guys were in there, it might almost you hadn't Maybe it was between you already started yet Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was not. It was not a good stint for don Oh God, who he was?
Speaker 7: He was lost that I'm telling you.
Speaker 2: He looked lost to rights in first, I want to say, love the show. Excited to see what Patriots do this season. My question is about NFL versus college weight room programs. A lot of the time we say ex player is going to be really good once they get into an NFL weight room. Is there a difference in what they do in the NFL versus college or is it just a matter of the player being older. If the NFL does do different things, why doesn't the college game mirror that. I think a lot of it does have to do with physical your body matures.
Speaker 5: Yeah right, you know I got a kick yesterday.
Speaker 6: I listened to Braden Swinston talk about how he changed his diet. It was actually pretty funny. He's like, you know, talking about all the crappy used to eat like airheads, gushers. He's like, now we eat plantains. I don't even know what a plantain was. So apparently that's a big part of he said that was a big thing for them, cleaning up your diet.
Speaker 16: I know.
Speaker 2: But like our head nutritious, Ted Harper came from Ohio State, so he brought a lot of this stuff. You know, a lot of these colleges are kind of ahead of pro football teams when it comes to nutrition. They've got like whole you know, student body. You know, masters people getting their masters like working on this stuff. So a lot of times the stuff that the pros use or NFL teams come from college. When it comes to that stuff, I think it.
Speaker 3: Just I'm sure like ninety percent of it is just your body maturing, yes, right, But I think the other ten percent might be it's a year round thing. Like you're not going to school, you're not going you're not worrying about now your job, this is your job is your sole focus. On top of that, you know, now you're getting paid a nil, but you're getting paid more to be in the NFL. So now it's like a job that you were getting paid to do and so like a Brandon Swinson is gonna he said it to himself, I'm taking it more seriously the business. You know, part of the business is being in good shape.
Speaker 5: Being a professional.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, So I think it's more about maturity in that respect and changing from like a collegiate athlete to a pro athlete.
Speaker 5: It is interesting though, like you said, and that was exactly where I was going to go with it.
Speaker 6: Like a lot of times these guys are twenty two to twenty three, and it's really where you start to round out and get that man strength. But I also see guys and I remember I was interviewing gay back as his high school coach and him saying, like he's a full grown man at fifteen.
Speaker 5: You know, like do those guys still cut you know?
Speaker 6: Or is he kind of because we hear all the time about guys he's kind of maxed out, right, Like there's certain guys that you look at, tight skinned athlete.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maxed out.
Speaker 3: Was usually because they're older. Yeah, you know, like guys that come into the league. That's the whole that's the whole thing, is that if what's what's wrong with the prospect being twenty four to twenty five at the draft, it's that his body's matured, so it's not going to get better, versus like Will Tramble is twenty two, his body should continue to mature. Drake was twenty two when he was drafted. His body should continue to mature. But when you're Jaden Daniels at twenty five, he's always kind of yeah.
Speaker 2: Here he is Christian in La. What's up Christian?
Speaker 10: Hey you guys, Hey, you guys.
Speaker 2: Hey.
Speaker 24: First off, I don't know if you guys read the nusletter, but I do. And to my caller last week that tried to call me out, apparently the other people with testas that have the same problem. So to that call it read the newsletter. Anyway, onto football.
Speaker 22: So do you guys think of would it be like pruiting for a team to do this or I've ever seen a team do this where a guy like Kayshawn Booty, who's really coming on in training camp after having a great but I consider breakout year last year, is really you know, you're auditioning him for trade Potter. So the team sort of slants more rents to him to help him stand out, so that before the season starts, maybe there's a linebacker or a tight end that we can trade for him, because now he really does look like a number one receive on some other teams.
Speaker 11: That's first question.
Speaker 22: The second question is this, would you guys be open to a Patriots defensive.
Speaker 24: Front line of Christian Barmore, Milton Williams and b to Bay Thank.
Speaker 2: You guys, Yeah, thanks Christian. He said he wants to play for an l A team in West coast team.
Speaker 3: He's from California and he went to Washington, so he's looking to get to the left coast.
Speaker 5: A great player, a little older. I think they like what they have. I think they've invested enough in the defensive line.
Speaker 7: I would take him, would take paying him.
Speaker 3: And between Barmore and Milon Williams, Oh my.
Speaker 2: God, wow, good luck. I mean.
Speaker 7: It even it even fills one of the few needs that we've been talking about. Right, you don't believe in a whole offseason, you know, like that sort of run stuffing, you know, the interior defensive lineman.
Speaker 2: But I think that's yeah, he's I mean, what though if he goes to the Rams possible? I mean and Aaron Donald comes out of retirement.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I he That was the reporting last night is that he wants to go to the West Coast and go closer to home. Uh, he's thirty one, he wants a new contract. He doesn't really want to be in the Northeast. It doesn't sound like so there's not a whole lot of things that signaled that he would come here. To his first question, I think that happens more in the preseason than it does in training camp. Like, certainly guys get showcased in preseason games all the time. I'm not I wouldn't not say keish on Booty level. I feel like it's usually like a little bit lower than that. But guys in the preseason all the time and go tear it up in the third preseason game against a bunch of four string guys and trying to have.
Speaker 2: Some for them.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean that absolutely does happen though from time to time where you accentuate a guy. I don't necessarily think that the Patriots have done that with Booty. I just think that he continues to maximize his opportunities. When they throw it to him, he catches it. I don't think he's had a huge volume no training camp so far, Like five six catches, but everyone remember, you remember him because they've been good, good players.
Speaker 5: It was the one today where he kind of just fell in the middle of the field. It was low, looked like a low pass.
Speaker 7: Even that I thought was a good catch.
Speaker 6: I think was that off of Drake because I kind of if I'm remembering that, I feel kind of like what that was?
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was what kind of all of a sudden after that point he started.
Speaker 2: It was actually a good throw by Drake too, was low, but I think it was the only place he could have put it. It was good because he was bracketed out there.
Speaker 3: And then they also got behind the defense again. Later on they blew the whistles.
Speaker 5: I don't know why.
Speaker 3: Oh I know why, because somebody hit Drake. Uh, stay off the quarterback. This happened in the spring too, Like what are we doing? You got to be able to practice without hitting the quarterback.
Speaker 6: They here the play dead, but Booty was behind the defense again. They had nothing to do with the whistle blowing.
Speaker 3: I thought it had nothing to do with it either, But it was one of those bang bang things with the whistle. But Barmore was hot, looked like they he was already jawing classic Christian barmore there. But there's a couple of guys that were in Drake May's lap and when he followed through it, he hit the line. Yeah, when he followed through and kind of shook his arm. Lett He was fine, but.
Speaker 5: Like, yeah, there was another one. I think he threw somebody to the ground kind of near him.
Speaker 7: To look like he was a little gimpy.
Speaker 2: Be careful, take care of each other, fellas quarterback. Saba is in North Carolina, haaba.
Speaker 27: Hey guys, can you hear me?
Speaker 6: I'm in the car.
Speaker 2: We didn't hear Yeah, sure, New York.
Speaker 7: Oh, I was just there.
Speaker 27: Well, well, well way by, well wave to uh like it's on the right. Yeah, we're doing eighty one this time because we went to you gave pied up our doorter and then heading on up eighty one instead.
Speaker 2: Of yeah, eighty one.
Speaker 27: So first thing, yeah, yeah, we just went to BUCkies.
Speaker 3: Have never been to it.
Speaker 2: It's like Disney World. This place is crazy. I've never been to a bucket.
Speaker 6: She was.
Speaker 2: Okaynton Uh Virginia.
Speaker 27: But anyway, all right, Hey, let's so enjoyed listening to you guys go over training and.
Speaker 24: Get this is exciting stuff. Man, I tell you there's football season.
Speaker 27: And there's waiting for football season.
Speaker 2: That is so true.
Speaker 9: Uh one quick, Uh.
Speaker 27: Think about the tight ends coach for Redskins. He got fired because he got calling the d U I and June seventh, so I think it had something to do with that. He was not at O t As either, but the media did not notice it, so I think he's been going for a while. They just announced it, you.
Speaker 9: Know, recently.
Speaker 2: Okay, Kim, all right.
Speaker 27: Now, Yeah, what I worried about, guys, is I hesitated when A J. Brown was gonna brought over because what he didn't feel, you know, because I'm experience all that into the stuff. But then he seems so excited when he got here, like oh this is awesome. But then I'm seeing where they keep talking about the same page or he's barely missing the throw. And I just don't want Drake to lose the connection he has with like Pop Douglas and Booty and Holland just to make sure A J. Brown feels comfortable. I wanted to make sure Drake goes through his reads and does the right thing and not just what's gonna make a J.
Speaker 9: Brown?
Speaker 27: Have you am I overseeing that?
Speaker 2: Well, I think you might be overseeing the connection he had with all those other names you said except for Booty. I think you need. I think he needs. I think he needs to improve his connection with with Pop Douglas, and he needs to improve what he's doing with Kyle Williams. Those things need to get better from last year in my opinion, not in mind.
Speaker 7: I think he had a great connection with all those guys Kyle Williams. No, we're talking about Douglas.
Speaker 2: Him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, Douglas is the best.
Speaker 6: He knows.
Speaker 7: That was the only guy that didn't have a great connection, Douglas.
Speaker 3: Douglas. I feel like is a little bit more about usage than it was about connections. Like I just but we don't have to get into that, seman.
Speaker 7: I'm just talking.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't worry about that. I'm I'm I'd be concerned with aj Brown. You want to get him on the same page with may Uh, but it's gonna happen. That'll happen.
Speaker 27: Well, I can tell you from this then the things the ranks they're talking about salivating. We should get Diggs here. Look what he did with Drake Well, Jayden ain't no Drake May.
Speaker 2: And then secondly they're like, oh, maybe.
Speaker 27: Douglas or Booty would get cut during camp. They're just saladating over the receivers of the Patriots because they let me think that they got the better quarterback and we didn't get the better quarterback. Drag May is the better quarterback. So I'm curious how all this is gonna work out. And I hope the Patriots have a really good season. And I want my tor heel to keep it up because he's very impressive.
Speaker 2: Okay, thanks, what she thinks is going on? Yeah, I don't want to get into that, but I think that if Diggs went to the Redskins, not the Redskins, the Commanders, he would help Jaydon Daniels. I mean, he's a professional receiver. He'll get open and he'll.
Speaker 7: They need another receiver. Yeah, Terry mclaurin's really good, but he's kind of by himself. Yeah, he would be good for Jaydon Dandy, you know, for a lot of teams.
Speaker 6: Just real quick, I thought I saw this tweet from Front of the Program Mike Giardi. I counted seventy one offensive snaps the reps for the wide receivers he had Brown forty two, Hollins and Dobbs thirty six, Pop thirty one, Booty twenty seven, Chisholm nine, Williams seven. So that was from the walk through yesterday, I believe, okay ago, where were these from? I don't know that's the exact numbers he gave me today talking about the walk through yesterday.
Speaker 5: It doesn't specify it said he posted three hours ago.
Speaker 2: I mean, are we really yes? I don't. Yeah, Well, I just think it's interesting he talked about.
Speaker 5: It doesn't look like he's getting a lot of reps, like it just puts a number on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, BUCkies is great, guys. Never been to Bucket I've.
Speaker 5: Never been about the b U C C.
Speaker 7: I yeah, I never even heard of.
Speaker 3: It's like a combination of like a grocery store and like a food place. But first time and only time I went to BUCkies was on a great road trip that I went on with no socks one. Bradley me, uh. We were going to from what's the airport in Florida, Northern Florida to Mobile, Alabama for the Senior Bowl, and everybody made such a big deal about this BUCkies place, and so we stopped at this BUCkies and I had I had a great brisket barbecue brisket sandwich from BUCkies.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, is there a gas station there too?
Speaker 3: Yep. It's like, all yeah, it's everything everything, but you can you can buy groceries, you can buy sandwiches and like pre made stuff. You can buy gas.
Speaker 5: Like it's yeah, you go to Blondie yet the barbecue place.
Speaker 2: I have not been to Blondies.
Speaker 5: I want to go, though.
Speaker 2: We were.
Speaker 3: We had it for one holiday.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's right, we had it. We catered it. I haven't been to the rest of Darius and Louisville. I don't want to hear anything good about Booty from none of y'all side sides. Fred's yeah, that's fair. So multiple people have commented on keeping Booty, especially Biggie and everybody, especially Evan pooh poohed the idea, talking about I don't know how they'll fit on the field together, blah blah blah. Good thing we have Josh coordinating our offense. Also, thanks for all of the analysis and opinions. I love them. Honestly, it's fair. Fair.
Speaker 7: I mean, I'm just going to tell you what's going on in practice right now. If you're asking me if he's going to be on the team, I'm going to say no. But I can only go by what's going on in the field, and he's catching the ball every day.
Speaker 3: I would just like fair email. But one my one rebuttal to that is I have never been anti Kishon Booty from a Patriots point of view. I didn't know if kaish On Booty was going to want accept the role and want to be here in the role that they had for him.
Speaker 7: Those are two It's another good point.
Speaker 3: Those are two different things. Now the emailer is right, like, I'm not trying to like, we're all kind of eh, yeah. But the point I'm that my bigger point in the whole thing was in a contract year where this is a guy that's trying to get paid on a second contract in the NFL. If he ends up only playing thirty percent of the snaps and has forty targets this year, how is that going to allow him to cash in next offseason?
Speaker 7: In a practice when you can have seventy one snaps conservatively sixty plus witch of which were passes, then you can spread it around and get everybody out in and out of the lineup. You know, and he gets you know, a fair amount of reps. I don't think that would be the case for the whole year now. The one thing that I would just talk about is the slow sort of integration of Romeo Dobbs. And obviously he's not going anywhere. They made a huge investment in him. But do you look at it and say, maybe he's not quite right to take on the kind of role that we envisioned for him just yet, so we might need to keep another capable receiver around again. To Evan's point in his Booty okay with that, I don't know, But all all I can comment on is what's going on at practice so far, and Booty's made plays in the three days that they've had real practices.
Speaker 3: I've been really trying to be really careful about my feelings on Romeo dobs so far because it is super early and all those things. I just haven't been really super blown away by it. In that the one thing I would say about it is like, is he a game player and not a practice player? You know, once the pads get on on a Sunday between the lines, maybe he turns into a different kind of energy and a different kind of player. But so far the spring and what we've seen so far in training camp, I think Booty's been much better and more effective than Romeo Dobs And I would say Pop has in a different role as also as well. So like, is there a world where it's actually a j Brown, Khan, Booty and Pop Douglas at first instead of Romeo Dobbs and Romeo Dobbs is on the team. But yeah, kind of you.
Speaker 7: Have to you have to keep some you know, protection in case it doesn't work out the way the way you would just take And you're right, the email is right, Freddy's Freddy's been on.
Speaker 5: Those from the beginning.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I means game, but somehow he ignores the fact that Douglas had the same numbers as.
Speaker 6: Booty last year. But I test, I wonder what bigger plays. But I'm talking about the relationship with Drake May.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well that's what I was going to say.
Speaker 6: I wonder what it's like from Drake's perspective of having a couple of new receivers, wanting to develop chemistry, wanting to get them involved, but also having guys that he's familiar with, and how does he balance that going into practice does he not think about it at all?
Speaker 10: Is he?
Speaker 6: I mean, clearly it seems like he's going for a J. Brown a couple of times, he said, certainly the first play, Certainly the first play.
Speaker 5: Of training camp, he wanted to go his way.
Speaker 6: But you know, is this something where they're saying, let's try to get Dobbs involved a little bit more. Let's try to you know, see feel him eye and develop that chemistry as well. It's a process though, I mean, I mean, I think I'm with the boys. I agree, I haven't seen much out of him, but.
Speaker 2: I think because both he and Brown are new, we might see more of them in what I'm saying. Yeah, but then you have to have Drake in there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Like I feel like with Brown it's easy to like he's a J.
Speaker 9: Brown.
Speaker 3: So like Drake is going to throw them the ball, no disrespect at all the Romeo Dobbs. But he hasn't had a career like a J.
Speaker 7: Brown has had, right, So that's a fair point.
Speaker 3: You know, if if Drake has better chemistry with keishn Booty than he does with Romeo Dobbs, it's not like their careers are you know, this isn't comparing apples to oranges as much. So I feel like that's the biggest difference is like A J. Brown has the cachet that when it comes to September and we're in Seattle, like a J. Brown is going to be just fine. He's going to show up and be a J. Brown.
Speaker 6: I just wonder who's you know, it's about who can play the inside and who can you know, be that quick safety outlet. I think that's what you were kind of hoping from him, that he could be that volume kind of guy in a pinch, that that Drake could go to. I mean you drew the line right to Pop, I mean Chisholm to those guys get increased opportunities if it just doesn't seem to be clicking.
Speaker 2: Jason Wright said, all year we had to hear about how the Patriots schedule this year is going to be so much harder so they won't be able to get back to the super Bowl again. I personally never thought the schedule was going to be as difficult as people think. Well, now Vegas has them as the tenth easiest schedule, so if they go back to the Super Bowl, do we have to hear about how easy the schedule.
Speaker 7: Was well, only if fan this morning that said it's the sixth hardest.
Speaker 2: So I don't know what what.
Speaker 3: Models that you're going by. Are you predicting what teams are going to do?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I don't know what the model.
Speaker 5: And that's was a historic thing.
Speaker 6: It wasn't just like they were won by a nose, like they had a very on paper win percentage all that stuff. But you're right, I mean, on paper, to me, this looks like a much tougher year, But I don't think anybody really cares unless it's like glaringly bad.
Speaker 5: And that's what I think it was.
Speaker 7: Like, the biggest factor to me that stands out in this schedule is compared to last year's is travel.
Speaker 3: That's exactly what I was doing it not that we're playing.
Speaker 5: I mean you started off with Seattle Germany than.
Speaker 7: The LA to LA's right, Well, they played both LA teams, do they not? No, No, only one Seattle, Yeah, Seattle, Seattle in.
Speaker 6: Germany trip yeah right at the Chiefs, I mean halfway, but even Jags down in Florida.
Speaker 7: I mean two trips to the West coast, a trip to Germany. Like that's much more to last year. They had like one game outside of the Eastern time zone last year.
Speaker 3: And it was a Central time it was a one hour trust me, you know, we know and no that that's the biggest factor to me is not only travel, but weird days like they start the season on a Wednesday, they have two Thursday night games, they have a Monday night game, like, So it's not just going to be that they're traveling far. It's also going to be like where's the routine?
Speaker 10: You know?
Speaker 3: Eventually you like to get into the season, and it's like ten straight Sundays, you know, and it's just Sunday Sunday, Sunday Sunday. This schedule has got games all over the place.
Speaker 2: Let's see. Christian in Virginia Says had to call out Evan for one of his comments Saturday. He was complaining about people pushing the blame on players in the Super Bowl, like Will Campbell, and argued that the staff's shortcomings should be scrutinized more. I find this ironic since Evan seemed to be quite the coaching staff defender in February, saying that the offensive game plan wasn't altered because Drake didn't have enough experience for Josh to switch it up in the moment. If Evan believes I'm misremembering, so be it, because I'm not a loser who listens to old episodes. Had to call him out, though, yes you are.
Speaker 3: I came on here after the super Bowl, the show we did after the super Bowl, and had like a laundry list of grievances with the offensive coaches. So I don't know what that. Maybe I said that as like I'll give them this out, like maybe this is like a caveat to everything that I'm saying, But I can go back through it. I still remember it. I don't even off the top of my head, like all the things that in that Super Bowl that they either didn't do, didn't pivot to or whatever.
Speaker 2: I mean.
Speaker 3: I'm not saying that it should be more or less. I just am saying maybe equal, Like I feel like it just they just got their butts kicked. Okay, yes, true, But also like coaching is part of it too, and you know, even the playing field, get good coaching, even the playing field.
Speaker 2: Melvin's in New York. What's up? Melvin? Melvin? Melvin in New York.
Speaker 7: It's not sweet, kid, is it?
Speaker 2: Oh? He's in Tennessee.
Speaker 7: Sweet kid wanted me to let you know something what he was interacting with me offline. Yeah, he's approaching his fortieth birthday. Oh, and he wanted to know if he continue at.
Speaker 6: The age of forty if he called sweet Kid sure, I said, I have to go to the boss man and find out.
Speaker 7: I gotta, I gotta get a ruling.
Speaker 2: What's a sweet kid? Oh? It was a sweet kid?
Speaker 7: Sweet kid?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, who's this kle Kayley in Rhode Island. What's up?
Speaker 3: Kaylee?
Speaker 24: Hey, guys, how a ya good?
Speaker 2: How are you? I'm good?
Speaker 27: I had to call I'm I'm pointing right at our southern bell from North Carolina.
Speaker 9: She made me laugh so hard the week before the Super Bowl because she called Kyle Williams a choice receiver who always makes the wrong choice.
Speaker 7: Was a good line. I remember that.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I laughed my butt off.
Speaker 3: He's the name I haven't heard much.
Speaker 2: How's he doing? I'm not done, not doing much yet.
Speaker 5: No, Yeah, I spoke today. Yeah, sounds like he's trying to just say patient, control what he can control.
Speaker 7: Control.
Speaker 5: But I think I knew he was kind of in for this. You know he was buried.
Speaker 6: You knew they were going to try to get Brown and Dobs up to speed, and that there were other guys ahead of him. So it is a weird position for him to be in. Obviously had a great offseason. They give him an award for it. But I think he's one of those guys that is just gonna need to wait for an opportunity or a door to open, or you know, start making some plays with We talked about de Vio playing pretty well, like, can he start to make some plays on the twos, make some noise and start to maybe push into into the conversation for reps because it doesn't seem like he's there right now.
Speaker 3: Start learning special teams Kylie.
Speaker 2: Any any particular reason why you're interested in Kyle Williams. Oh, don't tell my husband.
Speaker 7: I got a little crush on him.
Speaker 6: Oh okay, he's a really funny guy. I just got a great person great personality. So you're you're into the right things.
Speaker 7: That's another.
Speaker 3: He's another sweet kid, good good hanging.
Speaker 7: We're shooting the real quick.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I gotta put this schedule thing to bed.
Speaker 9: We new Englanders.
Speaker 2: Come on, let him talk.
Speaker 3: I love salty fans. It's what runs through my Vein.
Speaker 2: You got that right, all right? Thanks for calling.
Speaker 7: Thanks. Okay, I like the uh I'm starting to get sweaty.
Speaker 2: It's a good line. Let's see David and Bethlehem in the swaddling clothing. The receiver room is better than any year since the Heydays. Booty really gauges the ball and body position. Well my vote, don't trade him and think about extending him. He's got strong hands, but following the arc of the deep ball in boxing out are his strong suit. Williams is far faster, but Booty is better for deep passes.
Speaker 7: Okay, I agree about the the overall assessment of the room. It's as deep a room as they've had since. I don't even know when.
Speaker 3: I can't think of a lot of because it's a really good point about oh seven. Maybe he's not fast, but he's a great deep ball receiver. Yeah, and I don't. I can't really think of a lot of guys off the top of my head that are that. Like, when you think of a deep ball receiver, I got one. You think of like Tyreek Hill or Deshaun Jackson or something like that. Randy Moss, you know, gliders or really.
Speaker 7: Fast early career in Kwan Bolden. People remember a late career in Kwan Bolden who kind of turned into a tight end and just like boxed out guys on like, you know, shallow crossing routes. But earlier in his career he had some explosives to his game, but he wasn't necessarily a burner. Yeah, and he was great at body position on deep balls.
Speaker 3: Yeah. It doesn't seem like there's a lot of those types of guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I wonder if there's any way that there would be a path to an extension for him. I wonder if all this talk is probably he's here, he's going to do what's asked of him, and then at the end of the day, he's going to say, thank you very much. I'm going to go somewhere where they're excited about me and they're looking to, you know, give you a free agent.
Speaker 7: If he has.
Speaker 2: If he's here at the end of the year, that means he's done something, and then I would think that the Patriots might consider extending him.
Speaker 3: I guess it depends on the number. But you have Aj Brown at thirty, you have Romeo Dobbs at seventeen.
Speaker 7: Totally depends on what.
Speaker 3: At twelve plus.
Speaker 2: But let's say Booty emerges as the number two receiver, Well.
Speaker 7: Then you got to do something about one of the other guys to get someone that's here's got to go right, Probably yeah, and that's you know, if you can swing a trade, you know, for Dobbs, then you know sometimes, but that's right. I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think let's worry about this year first, David and Florida. Do we think that Drake just has natural struggles very early in camp? For me, I was never really worried with the first practice, the first couple having the offense struggle a bit. Drake seems to do this every year, then really pick it up as training camp moves along and especially once we get into the season. Could those early struggles just be a form of Drake shakes that we saw in the first drives of games last season and early on in the season.
Speaker 5: I mean, I don't know if it's a camp thing.
Speaker 6: I just think it's more a Drake thing that when he's not on, he's a little high and he's a little and it sounds weird the seventy two completion percenters last year, but it just looked like the little bit of the mace sprays early on to me. I mean, I think he was better today, but even you know that one catch to Hunter Henry seemed a little high. Hunter Henry ended up on the ground, and you know, it's just he's It doesn't seem like he has been locked in for everything just yet. But I don't know if that's a camp thing or just kind of a getting warmed up, streaky kind of thing.
Speaker 2: Ben in California, what was going on with Saturdays Live from Training Camp broadcast booth? And he's got broadcasting quotes. I could go to Foxborough High and find a better broadcast booth. This is the NFL, Fred, What are we doing here? You pulled four tiny tables off the street and covered them with black tablecloths that didn't fit where all the Patriots logos at training camp? Did the table budget get put on hold until the Gonzo deal is done? Come on, step it up. That said, it's nice to see the excitement bill looking forward for another fantastic PU season. Those tables weren't light tables. They weren't light. No, they're heavy tables. But yeah, I hear what he's saying. It's not a professional looking set. But I mean the setup. The location was great, location location.
Speaker 7: I think the setup was much better. And everybody else's.
Speaker 2: From the table, they're talking about the look.
Speaker 6: The look I'm talking about the look, that's what exactly what I'm talking about. I thought it was much better than the tents upstairs, Like from the other stations. I think, I look, I take a look. The look of it didn't cross my mind. I was like, we're here, I mean, look at the field we're talking. Who gives a crap what table we're sitting there.
Speaker 2: I hear what he's saying, though, I hear, you know, but we're only going to do this four times, so we're not going to build a one hundred thousand dollars set for you know.
Speaker 7: We're worth it well until the contract gets done, and then we'll have it in the bucket.
Speaker 3: Maybe maybe we'll sell some more to private equity.
Speaker 11: And there you go.
Speaker 5: Tables.
Speaker 2: What's Her Job? Live from the Toby House second episode drop Sunday, so please subscribe, watch comment.
Speaker 7: You gotta get a side tools.
Speaker 2: Clayton writes in I'm enjoying your house tour right now. But I noticed this photo and he's got the little cartoon thing the guy in this photo that's supposed to be you looks twice your age. You should have had Evan come over and cut your one point six acres.
Speaker 7: Look you look like you have my hair.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look it's white hair. That's all right. That's with that. I don't care.
Speaker 3: I don't think that. I think I need a beginner lot. I can't start on Fred's, you know, state like I need a I need a small patch of grass.
Speaker 2: You couldn't handle my.
Speaker 3: Smoke, don't disagree. I don't. I couldn't handle.
Speaker 6: I got a mowing yesterday because we've got the rain coming. Then I saw my neighbor and he's like, you might if I mow my lawn the rains come. Like, I already mode. Mine to go for it, buddy.
Speaker 2: So we're on. We're locked in. He had to ask you if he could.
Speaker 5: He was just a nice guy. He's like, he's like, you gotta mind if I the moment, I'm like, no, of course.
Speaker 7: I was like, can I ask what time of day this was?
Speaker 5: It was like eleven at night, six thirty at night.
Speaker 7: No, totally. I was like, no, he's just a nice that's a bizarre question.
Speaker 5: Great guy.
Speaker 7: I mean o'clock in the morning.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, means well, that's what I barked back, and very overly nice guy kind of joke at.
Speaker 7: I mean, he's a salty dog.
Speaker 5: He's great guy.
Speaker 6: I mean the most part of my launch is because it's easier for him just to get to it. That's fine.
Speaker 5: But yeah, I know, I got a good moment yesterday, as you know, and then you walk it like it's.
Speaker 2: A good I just felt like the smell of the fresh cut grass.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I just have all this morning. I just stood there and looked at it for a minute. You know, so burnt out.
Speaker 2: I have no water.
Speaker 5: I got some burnout spots.
Speaker 2: You don't put the sprinkle I don't have sprinklers. I don't mean underground.
Speaker 7: I mean just oh you need underground if you're going to keep it green. Yeah, it's hard.
Speaker 2: I don't use underground.
Speaker 7: Well, I mean we all know that you have just resources.
Speaker 2: That plane comes in and just drops about one part of the lawn right in front of the house, and I just keep the sprinkler going.
Speaker 7: I've never water, mir you never want is it?
Speaker 2: Is it gone?
Speaker 5: Just crap?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Fine, I like to keep it green, right mine, it's got like there's probably seven different types of grass in my lawn, like.
Speaker 7: Two weeds, you know, And I just right over him. And and I had I had a service the last couple of years. You know, it comes and treats it, you know, and stuff like that, and it does help. But like I had, you know, I was hosting big graduation parties.
Speaker 5: So I was like traffic, not.
Speaker 7: Doing anything this year. I think that's an expense I can do without.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's tough.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna take off.
Speaker 7: It's not looking good. I go down like sometimes when I when I'm hold the lawn, I do a strip and like I can't even tell if I did it or not because it's so dead.
Speaker 5: You can't follow the line. You gotta find a line.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know that problem.
Speaker 7: He's so dismissed.
Speaker 2: Can do better.
Speaker 7: I'm not. With my resources, I can't do any better.
Speaker 2: It doesn't take any money. Just you buy like a twenty dollars sprinkler, look it up to the hose and water the grass.
Speaker 7: But I can't get the like I shouldn't. I have a lot of grass, Like I don't a.
Speaker 2: Lot of grass. I like the ones that go like oh, just back and forth.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and you move it. Well, I can't move it to the side of the house, to the back of that land.
Speaker 2: You only worry about the front.
Speaker 7: Well, I worry about it all.
Speaker 2: Well, it sounds like you don't. No, I mean it looks like Mars over there.
Speaker 7: The front isn't as burnt out as the rest of it is because the front doesn't get as much direct sun. So it's not especially the front left. It's actually decent front right now right the water the front right. I don't have time to water.
Speaker 2: To stand there. You just have a sprinkler on time.
Speaker 7: Do you have any water bands in your town? I do, like, I mean, I like, I would have to do it like a very specific time. And beyond the water, I don't get in trouble. There's there's a lot of crap that goes on.
Speaker 2: Some guy.
Speaker 7: I don't want to yell. I certainly can't afford to get fined.
Speaker 3: There's a drought going to the water there are.
Speaker 7: There is a water again, like we're still.
Speaker 2: So when they allow you to do it water, you get a little timer.
Speaker 7: So again it's like it's like fifteen by a timer.
Speaker 2: It's like fifteen bus. You hook it up to the hose, it's got a dial, and you said it.
Speaker 6: I was supposed to get paid for my fill and work last Friday, and I didn't get paid until today. Oh you got it, and you got me going out buying timers and spending money on the.
Speaker 2: Water A lot of money. You go to Ace Hardware and just buy a little time to my water bill.
Speaker 7: How do you know it's not a lot of money water bill?
Speaker 2: You got a big water bill?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 2: What's going on in Peabody?
Speaker 14: I don't know.
Speaker 6: I think it's everywhere I got mine, And even though we were gone for like two days, it was still sky high.
Speaker 7: I don't know what's going on with.
Speaker 1: My water bill's extreme right now. But I have an y ground sprinkler system, So I don't know.
Speaker 7: That's the way to go.
Speaker 5: Hashtagnify.
Speaker 2: I don't think i've mid ever paid more than twenty dollars for a water bill.
Speaker 7: I'm sorry, what?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 7: How often do you pay your water bill?
Speaker 2: Every day a year?
Speaker 7: And you pay twenty dollars? It's like I pay like four hundred bucks a quarter.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's like mine, it's like nothing, Yeah, yeah, mine's four hundred quarter twenty dollars.
Speaker 2: Do you have like well water, no town water, town water, I have sounds like an episode. I have septic. I don't have a town sewer.
Speaker 7: So that's why you don't pay any money on wast.
Speaker 5: Yet on the community.
Speaker 2: Every couple of years you have it pumped.
Speaker 5: Think about the cornerback depth chart a little bit.
Speaker 7: He's actually he's actually been thinking about the Chiefs cornerback shot. That's a flashback to a previous episode.
Speaker 2: All right, good stuff, I love, I love, I love the house talk Connor McDermot.
Speaker 3: That was awesome. It's really good.
Speaker 2: A little sprinkler do an episode about really good.
Speaker 3: Sprinkler talks spring middle of training camp.
Speaker 7: Just from the guy who started off by saying, really nothing has happened in the three today.
Speaker 3: Today was the first day I actually I had fun.
Speaker 7: Just texted me.
Speaker 1: It's normally thirty five dollars our water bill, but during the sprinkler in summertime, it's two seventy five.
Speaker 7: Oh and how often do you pay that?
Speaker 1: I just give her the money she.
Speaker 2: Pays a bill.
Speaker 7: Okay, this guy, I should do that with him. If I just gave you my bills, where you pay it? Yeah, give you the money. Now you can't handle that smoke. Neither can I It sounds like when I got problems for it.
Speaker 2: When you're totally when the kids are totally citadels over you guys should move into a condoor apartment. Then you don't have to do anything.
Speaker 10: No.
Speaker 7: I actually enjoy kind of keeping up with the house a little bit like I enjoy doing yard work, you know, to an extent. I like cutting the grass. It's one of the favorite things that I do. Like I just put my headphones and my earbuds in and I kind of enjoy it.
Speaker 2: And it's nice and green. You'll enjoy it even more.
Speaker 1: That would be a monthly bill.
Speaker 7: So okay, monthly. I don't pay monthly.
Speaker 17: No, I'm quarterly real, all right, disrespectful to meet landing rights in Sorry, I'm not.
Speaker 2: I'm just tuning in. So if this was touched on, I apologize. But a question for Evan. One of the first things you ever said about Diggs was that he looks like a true number one wide receiver, and he looks like that guy when he's on the field. Do you have that same thought when you look at Brown out there?
Speaker 3: They're so different it. Diggs was such a great runner and Brown is like just like a physical specimen. So I don't know if I've quite seen that just yet, but I don't think. I think it's because this isn't the setting for him to be showcasing how physically talented he is. Yeah, right, like Diggs is just get open, you know, like that that's when we're in these types of practices, you're gonna see that. I just feel like brown skill set hasn't.
Speaker 5: It's a great point.
Speaker 3: I totally he's not the setting for it.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 6: That was what was amazing about Diggs was just watching the way he tempoed runs and he just had such a unique stride and it was so hard to like, where's he going? Like you couldn't stood out to me in Minnesota and the joint practices and being on field level just watching him, like he's just really really tough to get a beat on.
Speaker 3: I do see with Brown, even though there's no live tackling, when he makes the catch underneath and then kind of like puts on the the burners afterwards, you do see that juice and that burst still there and at that size you're like, Okay, that's going to be tough to tackle. But again we're not tackling.
Speaker 7: So I agree totally about their totally different receivers, you know, in terms of the route running and just the size. But I do see a number one, like when he goes out there. If I didn't, if none of them had uniforms on, I would say that's the one. That's the number one. I think he carries himself like another one.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, he's so cool.
Speaker 5: He's just like yesterday at the podium.
Speaker 6: I mean, and not that anyone cares about at the podium, but like you can just tell the guy's dripping with confidence.
Speaker 5: Knows he's a number one receiver.
Speaker 3: And no scheme talk with aj Brown, no scheme.
Speaker 2: Santo is from Hawaii and he's got a PhD. So we have to listen up. Indeed, looking at the teams the Patriots will play this year, I came up with the following chances of winning the Raiders Jets in Miami. I think the Patriots have a seventy five percent of winning those games.
Speaker 3: I would not put the.
Speaker 7: Raiders Jets Miami only seventy five percent.
Speaker 2: That's what he says.
Speaker 7: It seems low to me.
Speaker 2: Steelers, Bills, Minnesota at the Jets and Jacksonville about a sixty percent chance of winning. We think we are going to be lose to the Jets, Green Bay and Denver fifty percent chance, at the Bears, at Miami and at the Charges, the probability of winning drops to forty percent, and at Seattle, at the Bills, at Detroit, and at Kansas City the probability of winning drops to twenty five percent. The average probability of winning for the season then translates to forty nine point seven. That comes out to be winning a little over eight games. The normative range then would be between ten and six wins.
Speaker 3: Wow, I gotta tell you, for me, that's too much math.
Speaker 2: I mean a lot of math.
Speaker 7: It's all out of math. But I would just you know, I'm nitpicking here. I don't remember by road, but like, they have a much better than forty percent chance to win at Miami. Miami is going to be the worst team in the least, they have a better than fifty five shot of winning. At the Jets. The Jets I think will be maybe spunky, and I wouldn't just pencil both of those in for w's, but I expect them to win both of those games. I'd be shocked if they didn't win both of the Miami games, like flat out stunned. Some of the other games I think you can make an argument for, but like, it never works out this way when when you get on the schedule, and Fred and I disagree to an extent, but we are kind of like minded on this. You know, in reality, you can say, like, these eight games are going to be tough games, you know, Seattle, the you know, Denver, the Chargers or whoever, Like these are gonna be tough games. But it never works out that you lose all of the tough games. And I think people say, like, well, Detroit, you know, Green Bay, Denver, you know, loss. No, you're gonna win some of those and you're gonna lose some of those. Those. To me, the individual game.
Speaker 6: May not be fifty percent, but if you have eight really hard games, you're probably going to win four and lose four. You know, I don't think it generally works.
Speaker 2: Out that you lose them all if you're a decent team, right right.
Speaker 7: And I used to you know, and I said the same thing last year to the other extent, they had like twelve or thirteen games on paper that seemed to be easy.
Speaker 6: This is before we knew how good they were, the Patriots being they before you know how good Drake May is going to be.
Speaker 7: You sort of look at it and say, well, they have like twelve thirteen really really games that they they match up well in. Well, you probably win half of them, you know, it was seven and six or six and seven something like that. Now it turned out that they won them all but two. They lost to Pittsburgh and they lost to the Raiders. You know, so if they had fourteen tough games, they went twelve and two one, I mean easy games. They went twelve and two in those games. Because the Patriots were a much better team than I think any of us anticipated going into the season.
Speaker 3: Tough time with the math stuff, the schedule, liked stay for a training camp.
Speaker 7: Like you already said, you didn't really care for going on a.
Speaker 3: Long way to go before we start talking about permutations of schedules.
Speaker 2: And Jeff in Canada, Deuce, do you have any thoughts on the hideous uniforms the bills unveiled yesterday?
Speaker 8: Man?
Speaker 7: I mean, yeah, did you not like those?
Speaker 10: Oh?
Speaker 5: I didn't like it? Nobody liked him. You liked him, the gray I loved them.
Speaker 2: Somebody else's team.
Speaker 7: So I didn't like him as much as the color rush for the Patriots, Like, I didn't hate them. I love that gray. I love that.
Speaker 5: And that's interesting. I didn't think you like great jerseys. You didn't like the Patriots great jerseys?
Speaker 7: Well, those were dirty? What do you mean they would? They didn't looked like they were great. They looked like they were dirty. They looked like the same shirt, like the white shirts, only they needed to be washed. Like the Detroit's got a great gray uniform too. Yeah, those were uniforms. The only thing I would say critical of the Bills is I thought they looked a little like s m U College. You guys probably don't know that even well I know that, but I mean I kind of like those. Yeah, everybody everybody hated.
Speaker 2: It didn't look like the Bills. Fans liked them very much.
Speaker 7: Everybody hated them because the Bill.
Speaker 2: The Bills.
Speaker 3: Everyone hated them because you like that.
Speaker 7: So I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: I wasn't.
Speaker 7: I wasn't witnessing all of this.
Speaker 3: I'm shocked because universally they were being Yeah, and.
Speaker 6: I generally don't like all of those alternate uniforms, right, But I think that these like what do they call him?
Speaker 7: Rivalry? But I'm just talking about the ones start rival but like the Rams had a rivalry, the Cardinals had one. The Bills, I like them all and I generally do not like any of the I hate I hate money grabs.
Speaker 2: I hate like the red, yellow green.
Speaker 7: I don't like either one.
Speaker 4: Like the green.
Speaker 2: I think they're better.
Speaker 7: I don't like either one of them.
Speaker 5: I like those ones. Yeah, I mean, what's what's what?
Speaker 6: Teams though? Teams are just busting our uniforms now. It's just like I got six, and I like, I'm just going now, Like I just think it's some point. It should just be if you ever wore the uniform in your team's history, you can wear it. You know, there's no like we need to apply for a new like did you already wear this?
Speaker 5: Yes? And I think the white top with the red pants, that's look hideous.
Speaker 6: Then somebody did a mock up of draking it and I thought it looked chef's kiss because he looks great.
Speaker 5: Then that's true, fair enough.
Speaker 7: I do like the late seventies uniforms, but yeah, it's a it's a.
Speaker 3: Thing around sports. So like the Bruins have like six jerseys and sweaters. Sorry, it was so hard.
Speaker 6: I liked the big Bear, which the Sunday one, the yellow shirt with a big bear.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you don't like just awful. Oh, I think it's cute and I like I like them, and I like the Bruins uniforms and like the traditional uniforms. I like, I think they have a good, good sharp uniform.
Speaker 3: But yeah, the Red Sox have all their uniform combos.
Speaker 6: Well, it felt for a long time in the NFL it was always I mean the helmet rule and all that, but it just felt like you needed a whole production to go. Now it's like we have two new uniforms this year, like the Chargers are just like we had twenty six uniform It was like, I don't know how another.
Speaker 2: One as much as a request from the manufacturer at the time, Like Nike needs time to create these things, so you can't just like on a whim change in uniform. You just won't have any in stock to sell.
Speaker 6: The Titans ones. I kind of like to like going flashing back a little bit, like no, I think that's popular right now. Just something kind of simple. Actually I was, I told you I was with Zoe in the elevator, and he brought the bills uniforms of they're terrible.
Speaker 5: I mean he didn't like them either.
Speaker 3: They're contractually Mike had friend of the program plus D plus.
Speaker 5: We came in late to the walk through yesterday and we're all sitting there and.
Speaker 3: Like, hey, Mike, where are you been?
Speaker 5: I had to write up a had to write up a grade for the uniforms and the bills.
Speaker 3: Plus.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't give it a D plus. I'd give it a C.
Speaker 3: Well, he gave it a plus.
Speaker 2: I'm okay. Also, Jeff wants to know, could our defense be elite this year, whatever that means in the modern NFL?
Speaker 5: Yes, I think they could.
Speaker 2: You think it could be elite, Yes, I do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But I think their secondary could be elite. And I think that you know, we'll see if they get enough pass rush. But yeah, their secondary I think is going to be really really good.
Speaker 6: Get enough pass rush and uh, you know, and I think Spain and Ellis and if somebody called about trading for a linebacker, I don't think that's in the cards. Maybe you're kind of ride or die with edge line Yeah, yeah, yeah, I could see that. But I think off the ball, I think the rider die with with Ellis and Spain. I think those you know, hope those guys stay healthy, but I think that they're gonna be the two guys making it all work.
Speaker 7: They have a handful of guys that are really important, you know, Gonzales, Davis, uh Splaine, Williams. That's the backbone of the defense, and they really need to keep those guys helping.
Speaker 3: It's a good defense.
Speaker 7: It's good defense, is yeah.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean, they were doing some stuff today where it's just like a mean bar More, he's a beast.
Speaker 2: I mean, and they haven't even.
Speaker 3: Really started to really mix it up yet. You know, right now, they're just kind of playing their base install schemes. Once they start to really mix it up and game plan and all that stuff. It's a group. When you have that kind of flexibility and like in talent in the secondary, it just allows you to do so much upfront.
Speaker 6: There there were there were two places I don't know if you if you clocked it out, but they were I was up with you. And there was one where it literally looked like they dropped Marcus Jones out of the slot back into like cover two. Then the very then I think it was one of the plays that they reloaded and had to go again.
Speaker 5: Then they blitzed Marcus Jones.
Speaker 6: So, you know, to me, it just shows how aggressive they are and how they're willing to send guys from anywhere. You know, I wonder what they're going to do with Buyered and Woods and how they'll work all that. But I think it's an aggressive scheme and it's got it's got talent aggressive there.
Speaker 3: I think they're going to come after quarterbacks. I think what we saw in the playoffs is going to be a lot of what we see moving forward because they're just going to trust those three corners to cover, and especially with Bayered and in the middle of the field, like they're just going to kind of trust those guys to cover. And I think you're going to see a lot of five six man pass rushes on third down and they're going to try to paint by numbers this pass rush. You know, it might not be you know, four guys all the time. It's going to be guys coming from multiple spots because they needed Mowen.
Speaker 2: Rhode Island writes in regarding AJ Brown and his usage, do you think we'll use AJ Brown like late stage Larry Fitzgerald. I know him moving to the slot helped extend his career and keep his production high.
Speaker 3: Maybe yeah, I mean I haven't done a deep dive on late career Larry Fitzgerald in a long time.
Speaker 7: So I don't he did go to the slot.
Speaker 3: I remember him going to the slot. I'm not sure what routes he was running from the slot and things like that, but I think that that's definitely part of the plan, is to help aj Brown out, is to move him around a little bit more than they did in Philly. And I think one of the callers called in early in the show about Gonzales, you know, participating one of the things I've noticed a lot of and I think this is pretty cool. But like when AJ Brown leaves the huddle, Zero is following in whichever direction he's going in, left, right, wherever. And I feel like, you know, that's what they're going to have to try to help AJ Brown with, is can we get him away from the Christian Gonzalezes, you know, can we get him inside? Can we get him you know, in different spots that they can't just travel with him all over the place.
Speaker 7: Was it our show?
Speaker 6: I forget somebody recently was talking about Randy Moss move into the slot and running you know, Josh running him out of the slot and getting him free that way. I just think Josh McDaniel is a creative guy, and he likes to move guys around, and he's gonna move a j Brown around and try to do whatever he can to get that guy.
Speaker 5: Easy touches, especially because he's such a tough tackle.
Speaker 2: Let's see emails coming in. Uh, this is from Boston, Benny Patriots Nation in Niagara, Canada. Okay, So that's like the other side of the good side.
Speaker 3: I'd never been to the good side.
Speaker 2: Let's see, can the Patriots carry six receivers while keeping the O line numbers safe?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I mean most teams these days are pushed six receivers.
Speaker 7: Yeah, questions can carry right right right?
Speaker 5: You know, Kyle Williams have to have to make it through.
Speaker 7: And I don't think it ends like you might be able to steal a spot somewhere because it's kind of right right, skill positions, right, you know, like if you go six and three as opposed to seven and two.
Speaker 3: Especially with like you know, can you keep Henry and Reard and Gilliam on the active roster and then Stash and Urginner or Dupre on the practice squad, game day elevations exist all that good stuff, Like just a way to get everybody through the fifty three man cut down and then kind of figure out who's on the game day roster after that. I think carrying two tight ends when you have a full back is definitely in play. But I I've seen a lot of on the Twitter of like Kyle Williams is definitely going to make the team. I don't know that he's definitely going to make the team. I mean, it's too early to say he's not or is or isn't. But I don't think that just because he was a third round pick last year that that guarantees him a roster spot like it does when you're a rookie. But you're too I mean, like I said earlier, I'd like if I was Kyle Williams, I'd be trying to carve out a role on special teams, like I'd be really gunner starting to think about those back into the roster.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean it's fair. Is fair. I'd be stunned if he doesn't make the team. But you're absolutely right but it's not one hundred percent. No, it's not.
Speaker 6: You know, that's why we like to call him what Fred surprise cuns. That's right, because we don't expect them to happen. Ark is an interesting one because we've been talking about him a lot in the first few days. But he's an undrafted guy, and you know, on paper, teams might not really realize, but the Patriots could have plans for him.
Speaker 5: That would tempt you to be like, he's undrafted?
Speaker 2: Could we get him through the stupid Patriots?
Speaker 5: On filter? Guy talking about him too much?
Speaker 3: Shut up?
Speaker 5: You know we need to slow the hype train on that guy.
Speaker 2: Maybe let's see Andrew and Maine writes in Uh, enjoyed the live shows, but I couldn't help but notice with Deuce losing his voice. Yeah, he sounded like a crossover between Zoe and Brady. It kept tripping me up, thinking, what the hell kind of crossover episode is this? Why is Brady hanging out at practice? You're too happy to hear gave a sigh, and Gonzo seems well on his way to the extension. This team feels rock solid outside of a very few positions. Lfgh. Did we mention that we saw gay Bachus walk on the field for the first time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I said, I said that, just you know.
Speaker 6: I was like, he walked up the hill and I don't know, I didn't have lost anticipating practice. He walked up, he scanned the field and then he I don't know, then he disappeared against Did I lost him?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm not sure where he went.
Speaker 3: No, he was out there, he was watching. He saw was Harold Landry.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, both of those guys were looked like they did their workout on the lower field and then came up and tripled.
Speaker 6: The worst guys for gay back is to be you know, working his way back next to you than than Harold Landry, somebody at his position was a captain last year. I mean that's you know, a small benefit hopefully for him, get him up to speed.
Speaker 2: Let's see l from Wisconsin. Uh. This feels like the first time in forever that we aren't worried about the wide receiver room for this team. We don't know how things will shake out yet, but the room feels really good now. For the negative, why can't this team draft a high round wide receiver. The team is in a very lucky position that it's not coming back to bite them right now. But still seeing nothing from Kyle Williams is really disappointing. Well, he was a third rounder, so would you consider that a high round?
Speaker 3: I guess anything inside the top one hundred. But it's not to your point, it's not like they drafted him fifth overall and he's a bust. You know, it's the gray area, I think, but top one hundred usually you hope that those guys are NFL players, like they're going to stick on your roster. It's contributed.
Speaker 5: It's a fair point.
Speaker 6: I don't feel surprised though, by how it's gone for him early. I think I'd be more surprised if he was out there and like Mac Collins or Tomrio Douglass or those guys were suddenly not really in the mix and Kyle Williams was.
Speaker 5: I don't know how he gets in I really don't.
Speaker 6: I mean, he's just he's gonna have to start finding a way to get in there and making plays to show what he can do because he has speed. I mean, I think there's you know, he has a skill set that I think that room could use, but we just we haven't seen it on display yet. And how can you put him in there and say what he can do if he hasn't done anything?
Speaker 2: Uh, Matt and Birmingham, UK. I love seeing Gilette Stadium during the World Cup. He was here. Good. I'm glad you were able to make that. Not long till the Premier League is back and I can watch my belove at Aston Villa on a Saturday and then the Patriots on a Sunday. My perfect weekend. Quick question, what's your quarterback room looking like? Obviously we have May at one, but do we have any quality behind him if he gets hurt? Oh you got Tommy Cutlets right, Yeah, looking pretty good.
Speaker 7: You got DeVito and Morton.
Speaker 6: You're in trouble Tommy DeVito, no matter how much like every other team that has a really good quarterback, there's a big drop off between one and two.
Speaker 5: But it would be fun at least.
Speaker 6: I think you know Tommy's if he does a character But I just I like his decisiveness and it seems like he gets in and he delivers the ball and it's uh a little small.
Speaker 5: I don't know it, just he looks a little small.
Speaker 3: He's a little bailey zappy ish to me, but like not in like as a backup quarterback.
Speaker 7: That that's fine, like perfectly fine a backup.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I think his EMO is going to be, you know, underneath stuff, you know, quick hands, like get the ball out of his hand, quickly moving around. Yeah, Like if he has to play, if you're expecting him to make that throw that Drake made to Kishon Booty in practice today, then that's not happening.
Speaker 2: Ben in Long Island. Would you guys like to see mac maccollins move to tight end. I read that he's open to making the switch. What do you think he's gonna.
Speaker 3: Bug me all summer? I just I don't know such a semantics thing, Like I whether he plays wide receiver tight end, his responsibilities are not going to change. So we can sit here and put a tee next to his name if people want to do that. But like he's going to be blocking the same people that he's blocking now. Unless we're talking about him being a traditional like in line hand in the dirt tight end at two hundred and twenty pounds, which I don't think is going to go very well for him, then he's still he's basically is already kind of a de facto tight end. So I think we're getting it bogged down by a semantics position thing that doesn't really matter.
Speaker 7: There could be another avenue though, to keep more wide receivers, like if you wanted to sort of say, well, we have him as a wide receiver and we can keep seven because he also can translate to some of the tight end role that which is what he just last last year, right.
Speaker 3: Like their eleven personnel last year was kind of like a combination of eleven and twelve because Matt Collins can do a lot of things that a tight end can do. So if he's gonna, you know, Paul, dig out the nickel or block the wide nine, yep, but he has wr next to his name, but we switch it to te Are we really changing anything or are we just like having fun with the depth charge?
Speaker 6: But yes, the answer to the short answer to this question is yeah, I think that he can do tight end responsibilities.
Speaker 2: And Claire wits in Hello everyone, Hello Mariene, Hello, Huge congrats to Marine for his ongoing music releases epic you've been you've been dropping stuff?
Speaker 1: Yeah last week last Friday, and the new one came out Pressure Bills Diamonds.
Speaker 7: Wow, you noticed the fourth one mic.
Speaker 2: Now the mic works, Yeah, Mike works is the start of the show Pressure Bill's Diamonds.
Speaker 1: It's pretty good motivational if you if.
Speaker 2: You wouldn't, don't say so yourself. Yeah maybe maybe, you know, at some point, play a little track.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's not suitable for air.
Speaker 2: Not suitable, a lot of a lot of swearing.
Speaker 3: Yeah he's eminem Yeah, okay, all right, that that's your that's your inspo.
Speaker 2: Don't you have like an under seventeen version.
Speaker 1: I have an edited version of one of the songs I can maybe we'll play that, okay at some.
Speaker 3: Point, Yeah, my mom's going to make me, you know, on iTunes. Out has like the clean and the explicit version. I used to have to buy the clean versions. Yeah yeah, no no f bombs.
Speaker 2: And uh, she says, now I'm torn. Torn. Deuce has a point I want to hear about Arkin, but also hush hush to keep him from being napped.
Speaker 5: I mean it's like he's not popping, like he's gronk or anything. I'm just saying like they might have a use for him. That would be like, eh, we could probably risk to lose.
Speaker 7: Him, but do we want to? And I would say over the years, these conversations about can we get so and so through to the practice squad is about ninety five plus percent. Yes, Like there's no guarantees. Guys get claimed.
Speaker 10: They do.
Speaker 7: It happens every once in a while. Ninety five plus percent of the guys that you think that way get through because teams want to use their own players, right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: They have a Tanner Arkin in their camp that they've been working with for the last six weeks that does exactly the same things that Tanner Arkin does. So why would they take Tanner Arkin over the guy they've been working with this whole time?
Speaker 2: Z Odd guy's better.
Speaker 5: Maybe he's a good bust to name two Achen. You know, I like this kid A and last.
Speaker 3: Year they're like the number seven standing out to me. There's like there's less than ten waiver claims out feel last year, and I.
Speaker 7: Would also look at look closer at the waiver claims and see exactly who they are. Sometimes they're not like rookie undrafted free agents. Sometimes they're like second and third year guys that get released and they get claimed. You know, like what was the year that the Patriots signed all the claimed all those linemen like Vadarian Loewis, he was in the league, you know. And the other guy from Minnesota. His name is escaping me Tyler something. Maybe I forget.
Speaker 2: All right, we're gonna wrap things up before we go. Just to reminder, Thursday we're live, weather permitting. If it is torrential downpour and it prohibits what they can do in practice and they move inside, we won't have a show. But then we'll be back on at one o'clock with a normally a normal PU show. So one way or another, we'll be on on Thursday. It may not be live depending on the weather. But whether you're want to listen or whether you want to come to practice, keep your eye on Patriots dot com for all the latest news. In terms of the practice schedule for Thursday, Tomorrow is a day off for practice, so no practice for the team, but it's never a day off for Catch twenty two.
Speaker 3: No, we've got a big show Tomorrow's this is our wheelhouse.
Speaker 2: You've got the whole you've got the day.
Speaker 3: We have the whole day.
Speaker 2: You've got the whole day dedicated to catch twenty two?
Speaker 3: Should we do four hours? You want us to do four hours? No, but you're gonna be on at noon now, yes, he normal time twelve to two.
Speaker 2: Okay, so catch twenty two at noon tomorrow and we will be on either nine with the live practice or if practice moves inside, we'll be on at one o'clock. So we will talk to you on Thursday.
Speaker 5: Hey, this is Deuce. Thanks for tuning into the show.
Speaker 6: If you really want to help us, make sure you like us wherever you get your podcasts, like Apple Podcasts or Spotify. Also make sure you follow us on the New England Patriots YouTube channel to see this show and everything else that we do here at the Patriots.
Speaker 5: Thanks a lot
Speaker 9: A