Speaker 1: Annie Murray's been the face of United Kingdom Great Britain tennis for fifteen years.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: If Serena Williams was playing her last US Open and asked me to play mixed doubles and I broke my leg, I'd find a way out on the court.
Speaker 2: Okay, Hi everyone, and welcome to the French Connection, brought to you by NBC Sports and Racket. We are here to cover of course the French Open, which we've already done, and of course everything in between, right up until the Olympic Games in Paris, which is not far away. And I am Renee stubs and welcome to Sam Query. He's over there. Sam. How's it going, man? I know you're missing Wimbledon, but you know I'm here for you, buddy.
Speaker 1: I'm bummed miss Wimbledon. I have seen the weather. It looks like if you're not playing on Center Court or Court one, there's a lot of waiting around. But I'm just at home rehabbing, getting the leg back to the full strength, and I'm going to be at Wimbledon next year, joining you in the Legends event. I hope I actually need to get invited, so I don't I don't know that for a fact.
Speaker 2: I'm just hoping to Yeah, well, I'll put a good word in for you. I'll let them all know that you know, you really wanted to be here, but you just missed out anyway. So let's got into the tournament and what's been going on. Of course, Yannick Sinner yesterday. Let's start with him the world number one, before we get into him losing to Medvedev, though, I want to ask you have you seen a harder draw for a world number one than what he had to experience here at Wimbledon? Berrettini second round, a former finalists, and of course Ben Shelton, who's been playing great tennis on the grass and so difficult to beat just with the serve, and then he has to play against Medvedev in the fourth round. I mean it's just a brutal I mean, look at this, the big three. Congrats, you've beaten the world number one. Now you get to place the most recent Grand Slam champion to earn a spot into the final. Oh and if you beat him, you'll need to beat the greatest player of all time. Of course, he's talking about our Karaz and then Novak Djokovic. If Novak makes the final, but you know, Yannick just had a brutal draw. So just your thoughts on the match against Medvedev. Obviously we know that something was going on with Sinner. He wasn't one hundred percent, but still a fantastic win for Mehdi.
Speaker 1: Right, And yes, that that draw was brutal for Yonic. I don't know if the toughest draw I've ever seen, but it's up there. Like you said, he had to play Bartini, who final Wimbledon, and then Ben Shelton and then Medvedev. But also like that, that quarter also a tough quarter for Medvedev. He just beat the number one player in the world, and like we see now now he plays al Kaz If he wins, he would most likely play Novak, and I believe Medvedev is maybe like one in six and Grand Slam finals, but the losses are to Novak, to Rafa to Yanick. So Medvedev also has a tough a tough draw here in a tough pass So that that quarter of the Wimbledon draw was hands down the toughest quarter of the four. I mean, there really wasn't one close to that, and that's just how the you know, the chips fall occasionally. You've seen it. I've seen it, and you know, Medvedev is, you know, he's got he's got two more tough matches if he wants to win it. But he's got to be feeling pretty confident to come out of that quarter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you would think feeling pretty good about the way he's playing on gross and I think that you know, now the weather is getting a little bit better. That helps him as well. But Mehdi is, as you said, one and five in slam finals, but he's lost to the absolute best, certainly, if not the best of all time, certainly the best player at the at that time, and Sinner at the Strain Open was one of those and he was up two sets of love in that final. So we got a little revenge yesterday, There's no doubt about that. But now, you know, look, we talked about Novak Djokovic to start the tournament with the knee problems, et cetera. How much from your perspective, being somebody who's played best of five matches, having to go back to back and all that sort of stuff, how much of it is an advantage of him getting the default over Alex Dimonno today, and I have to I feel so bad for Alex. I mean, it literally happened three points before the end of that match that he hurt himself brutal way to go out of the tournament after having such a good year. But just you know, Novak, just tell me how important that is for him, you think, to get that default today.
Speaker 1: It's huge. It's a huge bone for Alex. But for Novak to have three days off now, he's you know, he's still got these four weeks out, five weeks off the knee surgery, and there's always that kind of that question like, oh, like, how are you gonna handle three days off? Some players don't like it, but Novak's been around long enough. I don't think it matters for him. He's gonna have three really light days of practice. I'm assuming he's gonna have a ton of work done on the knee. He's kind of in cruising through the draw, so I'm assuming he's gonna go into the semi final playing Mussetti, who's going to be a huge favorite against. I'm yeah, you know, more than likely he's going to get through that one and he'll be in the final feeling good. The knee is gonna feel good. His body's gonna feel good. There's not gonna be a lot of wear and tear. So Novak couldn't have asked for a better draw, and now to get a default in the quarterfinals, it's even more fortunate luck. So he's in a he's in a good spot right now to cruise to the final and be feeling really good going into that final.
Speaker 2: So tell me, you know, you saw the postmatch interview with the room. I mean, look, Novak knows, right, he knows that that's that thing that people do in the crowd. It happened to him the first time he played Runa, if you remember at the US Open, and everyone's like, what the hell are they saying? And then we realized that it was like Runa. And then of course the postmatch you know, with the good night to the fans, you know, which was hilarious. I'm glad that he's embracing his like, you know, sort of darker side, and it's like he's over trying to be politically correct and he's like, you know what, screw these people. I'm gonna say what I want to say, which is unusual for him because he's usually pretty good at that sort of skirting over the issues. But one thing I want you to talk about Runa and what you think he needs to do to get better, but also just the flip side of what you thought about. You know, Novak sort of like embracing his bad boy thing, and do you think that's going to hurt him? Because the crowd, it'll be interesting to see how they react to him against MERSETI, who's become a bit of a crowd favorite.
Speaker 1: I loved it. I loved him addressing the crowd. I know, like you know, people say rude and then I'm sure there's I'm sure there is a small group of people that might be booing Novak too because they know it gets under his skin. But I love the authenticity of the of the reply on center court. You don't get that from tennis players or any athlete too often, where they just kind of go on a ninety minute, you know, kind of rant if you want to say it about just like this is what's on my mind, you know, And he mentioned, look, you I've played in more hostile environments than this. No one's stopping me here, So I think he's embracing it. I think he doesn't care if the people aren't cheering for him. I think I think everyone still respects him, that he's he's so great and such an amazing champion. But uh, I loved it. I was fun to watch, and then and then for for Rune, Rune, Rune, if you want to say it, you know, he's just on the outside looking in with the with the group of of al Kirez, Center, Djokovic, you know, maybe even Medvedev up there. Zverev, it seems like he's kind of always pushing on the door of like he makes the quarterfinals and around a sixteen, then another quarter you know, he might final a Master's series. So I don't know what the missing pieces, but I do know if you kind of separate the players, he's just in that tier two right now. But he's knocking on the door. He's as if he keeps working hard, keeps putting himself in these positions of making quarterfinals of slams, he's going to get through. And at some point I expected, I expect to see him in a Slam final at some point in his career.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's no doubt he will get to a final. I think it's tough for him because he's got two guys like you know, al Caraz and Sinner who were so young twenty twenty two, twenty three years of age, where they feel like, well, he's behind because those guys are winning going slams. It's like calm the farm. You know, not everybody wins Grand Slams at twenty and twenty two, and he may take it a little bit longer. I think he has to work on his forehand. There's definitely he's made, you know, changes to the forehand. You can tell that he's trying to work on it. But also he played Novak Djocobits like arguably player the best player at Wimbledon over the last ten years. So you know, that's just a rough draw. I don't care if Novak's on like one and a quarter legs. He's still the player to be at one moment. I mean, that's speaking of injuries. I want to flip to Emma Radakano and what happened last week in the tournament. We saw Andy Murray lost his last match with his brother in Santa Court, which you know, to be honest with you, it was probably the best way to fit for him to go out, I mean, play on sena court with his brother. That was such an emotional moment when he's when the brothers hugged, like I lost it. Like when he hugged Jamie and he was like patting him on the back, I was like, I'm done, Like I cannot take this. So it kind of felt like that was kind of the best thing. But then Emma pools out citing, you know, wrist injury or you know tightness or whatever the excuse was to pull out. Just what did you think about that? And of course Judy Murray wasn't having it on Twitter right.
Speaker 1: I don't know Emma Radakana at all. She seems so nice. Annie Murray's been the face of United Kingdom Great Britain tennis for fifteen years. If Serena Williams was playing her last US Open to play mixed doubles and I broke my leg, I'd find a way out on the court just because it's her. I just I felt like she had an obligation to Andy to like go out there and do do what she ever she could to play. I don't know how bad her risk was was hurting her. I'm sure she internally was like struggling with that decision to not play doubles and Andy Murray's last match. I'm sure it's something. It was a story there for a second. I'm sure it'll blow over. God. It's a tough one though, I don't know how I play it. I feel like I would just feel so obligated because it's Andy Murray in Wimbledon to play it.
Speaker 2: I would have played it, and I would have played it because also, you know, she ended up losing the next match as well.
Speaker 1: It was like a little worse. If she went on to have a run, it would have been justified the decision a little more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when do you sort of make that decision, you know, as a great player to decide I'm gonna picked my singles over my doubles. And you know that was that was a tough disuse and I'm sure she had just an awful time trying to figure it out. But anyway, let's move on to Cocoa Goff. She had a loss to Emminavarro. I know that you watched the match. What did you think about, like the exchange with Brad and the looking very lost, et cetera, et cetera on the court.
Speaker 1: It's rare. I mean, you don't see that from Coco too often. Usually she's you know, kind of got her head down. She's serious, she's you know, kind of like a woman on a mission out there. And and Emminavarro played great, She's played great the whole tournament. You know, kind of got crushed yesterday, but especially in this match against Coco. But I liked it. It was, you know, you don't see a lot of emotion, negative emotion, I guess out of Coco, and she was not having a good day and and she was looking at Brad kind of just saying, I need something, give me something. But it's so it's hard in the in the moment of the match for Brad to say that much. And it's also awkward for people that don't know Wimbledon. The player boxes are right next to each other on center court. Yeah, what what's bragging to lean over and be like, hey, you know, make keep hitting the ball high to Emma's best. He wanted to move in and then he was you're right. But then I mean it was.
Speaker 2: Literally telling her everything. And I was like, if I was Emma, I'd be like, what what to go hide in my backhand? And then I mean he was basically telling Emma Navarro what he wants her to do. So I don't know if that's the right thing to do.
Speaker 1: I think. I mean, look, at that point, Coca wanted anything. I mean, she wasn't playing well, couldn't couldn't find her rhythm, and so I think Brad was like, look, I don't care if the world knows what I'm saying right now, I need to tell her what to do. I mean, I'm not a tennis coach. You've you've been a coach before. I mean, if you're Brad, do you do what he did and just you know, stand up and speak your mind and tell her what what you think is best.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, it was, It was. It was. It was almost tough to see in a lot of ways because you have to have game plan b right, you have to be able to navigate that yourself as a player also, and obviously the original game plan wasn't working and things weren't going her way. But you know, that's the thing about the coaching, or the on core coaching or the coaching from the box, is that sometimes it becomes a bit of a crutch and you have to be able to as you know, Sam, when then the game plan a is not working. You have to figure it out. And from me, she just had to figure out a way to get her forehand to be a little bit deeper in the court, a little bit better, a little bit more effective. Emma was playing very very well, but at the same time, you've got to be able to control your own service games, and with that serve you also can do a better job there as well and not put as much pressure on your forehand at that time. So so you know, it's a work in progress. We'll see. Look, she lost first around a wimbline last year and was the hottest player on hardcourt after that, so I'm sure she'll be fine going into the hard court season. And she lost her doubles today, but you know, lots of great things to come for Emminavarro. Let's switch to Alexander Zverev up two sets to love against Taylor. It was a great effort from Taylor to come back in that match, and I did pick him to win that match. So I was feeling a little tight down oh two, but I did have faith. But Sam, is this starting to be a little bit of a mental problem for him? Like it starts to start affecting you now as a player that you've now lost some very big matches up two sets to love, So give me your thoughts on that, because I've never led two sets to love and lost a match, because I've never played best of five, So give me the psyche behind that situation.
Speaker 1: It's got to be in his head at this point. And I think watching him, if you've noticed, it seems like in all these matches, when you know he gets up two sets to love or two sets to one, he is a player that gets maybe a little tentative toward the later end of sets. At the fourth set, fifth set, he doesn't, you know, hit out on shots. I think he needs to take the next The next time he's in a fifth set, or he's he's up in a match and it gets close, he needs to lose the match by hitting out on the ball. So I feel like at this point he's losing these matches just being tentative, letting the other player dictate play. And he's six ' six, he rips the ball on both sides. He's got a huge serve, Like I want to see him impose his will a little bit, you know, when these matches get tough and lose, lose more on like his terms, and I feel like if he does that and loses, it'll it'll at least give him a little confidence. The way he's going down right now can't feel good, and it's got to be in his head.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean listen when he hit that double fault, and he's been serving so well over the last what feels like twelve months, But when he hit that double fault into the net, I in my head immediately went that was it. The match is completely change same way. I was like, it'd be one thing if he played a good point and Taylor hit a great shot or he tried to go down the line and he missed it by like this much. But we know as players there's there's ways to lose your service game, and he literally was untouchable on serving this tournament. But when you have a propensity to get a little tight, when when you get tight, and you know locker room reputation is everything, right when you're when his four hand breaks down, you're like I got him. When he double faults like that, and particularly into the net, I was like, oh, that just changed the whole match. And Taylor, i'm sure, was like, oh he can get tight and he's getting tight. So I've got him now, Not not like guarantee I'm going to win, but I know I can get back into this match. And I just felt immediately once you hit that second serve, I was like, completely change the match.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he's unfortunately getting to the point now. I believe the for set went to a tiebreaker, and at the beginning of that tiebreaker, I remember in my head thinking, oh, like Fritz is a heavy favorite in this tiebreaker right now, Fritz is a guy that goes for it. He's klawn his way back in the match. It's fair struggle to close these guys out. So if I'm thinking that, I'm sure Taylor Fritz is thinking that, and I'm sure other players are thinking that. You just he unfortunately needs to change the narrative and it's going to be tough to do. But you just you feel like when matches get close, now it favors whoever he's playing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally. And you know, you're a very similar player to someone like Taylor big serve fourhand, and you're like, oh, there's a window. It just was open. I'm going to run through it with some big serves and some big, big tennis well done from him. Unfortunately he went down to Mussetti today, he just looked like, I know we're going to get onto the semifinal matchup with Novak and Mussetti, but just real quickly, I just want to say, this is what's so important about playing on grass. You have to have creativity, you have to have slice, you have to have just a little bit of a difference in the way that you play. And Mussetti played Taylor Fritz so well today, and when he won the fourth set Taylor, everyone thought, Okay, here we go. But Mussetti came out in the fifth set and he showed that beautiful variety. The break point at one love was so good the way he played that, and Taylor just looked really uncomfortable playing a guy with variety. So I ask you, does he have a chance to beat Novak Djokovic in the semifinals. We see the last time they played on Philip Chatrier, Novak won six love in the fifth set. Is it a different matchup on grass?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but no, he has zero chance to beat Novak. Having said that, if you would have asked me, does he have a chance to beat Taylor? If he had does he have a chance to beat Taylor Fritz, I would have said zero chance. I even texted you, I bet my house that Taylor wins this in three sets your house tomorrow. My house is your house now. But but you you said it spot on. The more I started watching it, I was like, Mussetti is playing him perfectly. When Taylor's in the middle of the court bashing the ball. He is one of the maybe the best player in the world. But Mussetti was bringing him in using the drop shot a lot, moving around with the slice, putting Taylor in like awkward positions where he was having to hit the ball you know, from his from his ankles and then went high and then moving in. And it was a fun match to watch. It was a really tactically speaking, Mussetti played Taylor absolutely perfect and uh he proved me wrong. And I was really impressed with the way he played.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, the one hand is back. What are these people saying about the one hand of being dead? Let me tell you, on grass, it is such a it's such a good thing to be able to have a slice back. End. Roger Federer was the absolute greatest of that. And and that one point where and I bring it up all the time because it was literally the match. Once he broke Taylor to go to love, Taylor had no answers. Then you know he held serve. It was three love. It was just like it was just over after that. You know, it's unfortunately Taylor had that terrible slip that that that looks at the end. Yeah, I was that was a brutal thing.
Speaker 1: Hopefully it looked worse than it actually is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because when it happened, I was like, oh God, that looked worse than Vera. It was very similar to Vera's but I felt it was even worse.
Speaker 1: I thought that too.
Speaker 2: I just felt like Sam he looked very uncomfortable in his movement Taylor because he had to deal with the slice and the short balls, and you know, MERSETI had just such beautiful variety. It reminded me of so much of watching Roger Federer on the grass and why he was so good. But I think the difference is that Novak Djokovic handles the variety. He can slice as well, he can come into the net, he can he doesn't mind playing a little bit of cat and mouse sometimes, whereas Taylor, as you said, likes to bash it like really big. So I just think that this is going to be an uphill climb big time for Massetti. And also Novak having the day, a couple of days extra off, He's going to be just feeling great.
Speaker 1: So the knee is going to be one hundred percent and I expect him just like you know, going full steam ahead and all cylinders, no problem.
Speaker 2: All right. So Daniel Medvedev versus Carlos Alcaraz, Alcaraz leeds they head to head four to two. Do you give Mehdi a chance to be Galitos on the grass or is this just a foregone conclusion that we are going to have the matchup that we had last year in the final with Alcaraz and Novak.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'd be curious to see what the betting nines are. I feel like this is a fifty to fifty. I mean, Alcaraz has been playing well, but you know, he lost early in Queens. He beat Francis in five, He's lost a couple other sets during the tournament. He hasn't looked like you know, he hasn't been cruising all the way to the semifinals, beat Tommy Paul in four sets, and Medvedev like we said earlier. He came out of the the quarter of fire, you know, with all the best players, and so he's gonna be feeling good. So this this is a fifty to fifty match for me. I personally want Carlos to win, just got like watching him play a little more. But Medvedev is such a tough out. He just you know, plants himself ten feet behind the baseline and is like, I will be here for the next ten hours making backhand after backhand, foehand after forehand. But but we'll see. I expected to be a good match, and at fifty to fifty in my eyes.
Speaker 2: Well, the Carlos Alcarez betting odds are minus three hundred and ten and medi is plus two forty five. So are you taking a bet on Meddi?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I mean, look, I've never never bet on tennis, even though I probably could now that I'm retired. I would bet on Medvedev if I, uh I could, But what would you do? Are you going? Carlos is like a bit of favorite mate.
Speaker 2: I stick with who I picked to in the tournament, and who did I pick to win the tournament? Carlitos and Rebakina. No, you're looking good, Real good, my friend, real good. Listen. Carlos to me is looking great. I think he's so comfortable out on that cord. He's so good at being able to vary his shots, come into the net, hit the drop shot, which you'll use a lot against Medvedev. I just think Meddi mentally doesn't feel great playing against al Kaz. He feels good playing against Sinner, which is why he plays him tough. Even though he lost to him in the straight open final. I think he was absolutely dead going into the final and I think that's why I beat him yesterday, even though I think Sinner was also a little hampered and not feeling great at all. Let's get to the ladies. I expect Carlos to be in the final against Novak. That's my picks for the men's Barbora Krajikova, who won, of course the French Open a couple of years ago and is also won the a couple of times at Wimbledon, and she goes up against Elena Rebakina, who I said is my favorite. Rabackina looked unbelievable today against fitz Lena. Babora got a bit of a test against Ostapenko, particularly in the second set, but she looked pretty good. They have both been serving really well and Sam, as you know, on grass, you've got to serve well. Rebekin a heavy, heavy favorite to win this tournament now, having won it just a couple of years ago, and I think she's heavy favorite going in against Kadjikova. What are your thoughts on the on the on the ladies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, look, you're gonna know more than me on this, but you just hit the you know, hit the the needle on the and the bulls eye there. It's Rebaccana's tournament to lose at this point. I do feel like she is just so much not so much better than the remaining three, but just such a heavy favorite. She looked great today against Sidelina. I feel like that was the toughest of all the quarterfinal matchups, maybe the two most accomplished best players, and she made quick work of her. And it's just it's hard not to see here holding up the trophy, not holding up the trophy on Saturday. So that's that's where I'm going with the ladies.
Speaker 2: I think you meant you hit the nail on the head, Buddy Haystack. I was like, where we're going. Where are we going with this mate?
Speaker 1: Nail on the head.
Speaker 2: That's what I know you've been, you know, overwhelmed with the love that you're getting on your Instagram page, with your good it's good, it's I gotta tell you, it's real good. Okay, But let let's look at the other ladies semi final. I am overwhelming favorite for uh Rebarkina. I picked her to win the tournament, and to me, she is by far the best player. She was the best player coming in here anyway, even though she's had a little ups and downs. The only thing to stop Rebarkina from getting to number one in the world in a lot of ways is her physicality. She's getting injured and she gets these random illnesses, so it's kind of random. But if she's healthy, get out of the way especially, and that's how I feel about her. So Donna Vekich just a player that has dealt with so many injuries over the last couple of years. She was so close to like wanting to retire a few years ago with this knee injury. I can tell you I had a personal conversation with her two years ago in Nottingham prior to Wimbledon. Two years ago, and look, she was carrying a lot of weight. She was not at her fittest. She was struggling coming back from a knee injury. As you know, Sam, when you have a knee injury or a lower leg extremity, it's hard to do the work that you need to to drop the weight to get fit because you can't run. You can't do the things that lose the weight, you know. And she and I said to her, because she's hitting. She was still hitting the ball, unbelievable. I said, what do you feel like you need to do it? She says, honestly, stubbsy, I need to lose weight and I need to get fitter. And so she was the first person to call it on herself. And boy did she get in great shape in a year. And I am so happy for her, somebody that's been knocking on the door of a semi final of a Grand Slam for so long. She was a young protege, like they thought she was going to be the next one. And for me, it's so great to see her have an opportunity not only to play in a semi final, but to play against Jasmine Pauline, who Parleini has to be the story of the of the last two months. I mean, coming from where she's come from at twenty eight in the world, getting the finals of the French Open. Now has a real chance to make another final. There's not many that have done that. But what do you think about this matchup? You've got big hitter against another very good player that's so good or caught comes into the net, Nam Paulini, Who are you picking in that one?
Speaker 1: I'm picking my new favorite player on the woman's side, Paulini. I honestly, I know you love her too. Yeah, to be honest here, I didn't know who she was before the French Open. I hate him any that and then cruises to the French Open final and now on Wimbledon. I love her little attitude, I love how she plays. I like, I'm just like, I'm such a fan and so I mean, I wanted Emmaavarra to win that, like Emma a lot. But if she's not gonna win it, like Paulini, I love her and so uh, she's gonna She's gonna beat Donna Vekitch in this one. I think, I know, I know she is in two sets. She's not even to lose a set.
Speaker 2: Wow, I think that would be cool.
Speaker 1: I watched Donna Vekitch the other day in her quarterfinal. Who she played in the quarterfinal? Beckache beat a little blanket on it? Oh?
Speaker 2: In her quarterfinal she beat Why am I blanking on it too? I've got there.
Speaker 1: You watched it.
Speaker 2: It's ten thirty at nine here, okay, so so you know, give me, give me a slight break.
Speaker 1: I know, okay, Yeah, she won her quarterfinal. I watched it. I wasn't like overly impressed with how she played in that quarterfinal, and I was very in she beat Lulusan, That's what it was. And I was very impressed with how Paulini played against not only Amminavarro, but the three previous matches. So in my eyes, this is this is Paulini's match, and I think she's going to the final. You you seem like to be a little more on the phone.
Speaker 2: I'm a little bit. I'm not sure. Here's the things. Donna serves really well, and she loves the serve out wide, and Paulini, if she stands too far back, she's the one thing. The one return that she struggles with is that one where she's really reaching because she's only like literally five foot three, so for her to get that return back, so Donna has to control her service games and she can do that because she has one of the best serves on the tour and she goes for it. She doesn't She's not going to give Paolini a lot of time. Her ball is flat and hard, so Pauline is going to have to serve well. Donna's going to have to serve well.
Speaker 1: Two.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I think it's going to go three sets. I think Donna. I think Donna has played ten years on tour and this is her moment that she feels like she is emotionally prepared for. She has worked very, very hard on her mental side. She has her mental coach here with her. They done a lot of work and she looks really calm in the biggest of moments. So I think it's going to come down who serves well, as it does always on grass. But I think this is going to be a close, really close match. I think Rabarkin is going to win fairly comfortably, but I think that one will go through and I might be give a slight edge to Paulini just because she just feels like it's inevitable.
Speaker 1: But I got a lot of momentum right now, just based on the last few months.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know, I just want to throw in that because we haven't had a chance to talk about it because we haven't done the pod in a little bit. But it was really hard to watch her beat Matti Keys. Maddi Keys was up five to and the third serving for the match, it looked like the match was over. So maybe Paulini is feeling like she's playing with house money and getting through that match.
Speaker 1: So was that was emotional for everyone to watch? This seems Maddie. I felt like that was like, I've never felt so bad for a player. Yeah, I know, could this could be Madison?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: I mean this this should be you know, if she didn't hurt herself, she was probably going to get through that match and this would probably be her playing Donna right now in the semifinals.
Speaker 2: Yeah, could have been. Maddie's had so many injuries through her career and I was calling that match and it was really hard for me to keep it together in the last couple of games, watching Maddie cry and looking up beyond Frantangelo, who bought you know, her soon to be husband and coach, and it was just it was so hard because he was just like, just call it, babe. It was yeah. Anyway, well, we've had a lot of injuries this Wimbledon. We've also had some incredible comebacks. I think the most loved to best of five comebacks in a Grand Slam, I think, if not the most, certainly almost the most. So it's been an incredible tournament. But anyway, guys, it's been a great it's been fun to be here. I have to play two matches tomorrow, Sam and the Invitational. I don't even know how that's possible for me to physically do that, but I'll let you know, because a.
Speaker 1: Good nay to sleep big, breakfast and you know, get in with the physio and take care of the body.
Speaker 2: I have TV between those matches, so that's going to be a little bit tough. But anyway, anyway, guys, it's been great. Of course, a reminder, the Olympics is so close. It is going to begin on July twenty six. I cannot wait for the Olympics. A couple more days here at Wimbledon, so I'm excited about that, but once it's over, I cannot wait for the Olympics to start. Of course, I'll be calling all the tennis for you in a couple of weeks July twenty six across the networks of NBC and Peacock, and all the Olympic matches will be streaming live on Peacock throughout the day. Cannot wait to bring it to you, Sam, Thanks for joining me and again today it's been a lot of fun. Thanks everyone for joining us on the French Connection. It's been brought to you by NVC Sports and Racket and the next episode drops the twenty second of July. We'll see you then, Sam, We'll see you then see it.
Speaker 1: Good luck in the invitation. I'll I expect to see you holding up the trophy on Sunday.
Speaker 2: I held it up last year. I think this year is going to be a little more difficult for me, but I appreciate at your your love.
Speaker 1: I trust that you're I believe in you, cheering for you. M hmmmmmmmm hmm