Speaker 1: Hello and welcome.
Speaker 2: My favorite murder, the mini minisode where we redo your story is that you've so kindly written to us.
Speaker 1: Over the years. Do you want to hear one? Now, let's do it. Why don't you go first? Okay?
Speaker 3: The subject line of this which thrilled me when I read it is money in Unexpected Places.
Speaker 1: We love those stories.
Speaker 3: Can't wait and it starts, howdy Hi, Hello, I'm listening to Minniesoda four oh eight, story about finding fifty dollars in a vintage skirt. And assume remember that one that's still with me, It's still right in my heart. And I assumed you either asked for money and unexpected places or the writer had a good idea. Yeah, that I am now stealing so I can tell my money an unexpected places tail. We definitely want money and unexpected places.
Speaker 2: Stories always any amount of money, and the more unexpected the better.
Speaker 3: I had a habit, and I explained this to Adrian when we were on vacation in October, because we would be in these weird places far away, like in an island north of Sicily or whatever, and we would be walking by like a cliff, the side of a cliff, and then there would be like a little hole. And then I go, that'd be a good place to hide money, and she kept paying. Sorry, why do you keep saying? I'm like, that's just what I think all the time. Was like, or if you had a key, you had a key, you didn't want anyone to find, put it right there.
Speaker 2: Oh, hiding places? What are just hiding places?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, send hiding places. It's just a list. People are like a box. Okay.
Speaker 3: My husband and I used to be very into rock climbing, and he, being more a more experienced climber, took me on many new adventures and taught me new types of climbing. One type he taught me is called crack climbing, where you smoke a bunch of crack and go to use sebody. No, that's not what it says, and then says dot dot dot. Have you ever seen a big old rock face with a thin seam running down it? We use those cracks in the rock to go up.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, thank you? Have you seen that? Yeah? They chalk their fingertips and they just hold on. It's so any of that, so that's going to be enough. Thank you for me.
Speaker 3: My thing is with my commitment issues. I would get like eighty feet.
Speaker 1: Up and I like, what the fuck we am?
Speaker 2: I'm actually interested in doing like one of the indoor wall climbing things. Oh yeah, that'd be kind of cool. Sure, but I don't think I could do it, like when there's actual danger involved.
Speaker 1: Freestyle on yeah, yeah on half dome. Ag broke his back recently, no, like a million years ago.
Speaker 3: Shit, I know it's I mean there is a lot of risk, yeah, so much reward, Like how search I'll tell you right now.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: I was nervous to crack climb, but he convinced me to try it out because one particular climbing route was just too fun, too incredible to pass up. He kept saying that the last pitch, and then in parentheses it says a portion of the climb was the money.
Speaker 1: Pitch because it was so great.
Speaker 3: He wouldn't stop saying the money pitch, so I wouldn't stop making fun of him while we climbed, because who describes things as money anymore? Well, lo and behold to both of our shock. When we got to the top of the climb, over one hundred feet off the ground, we discovered tucked right into the crack on this rock a twenty.
Speaker 1: Dollars bill money.
Speaker 3: I guess it was the money pitch yep, Oh my god. And then it just says, stay sexy and pay it forward. So maybe one day the twenty dollars you hide somewhere will end up as a story on MFM.
Speaker 1: Grace, I love that. I'm going to do that. I'm going to high twenty dollars somewhere. Yeah, in a weird spot.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, maybe you could have hid twenty dollars on a playground.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, handemonium right.
Speaker 3: And wait, there's a ps on this. It says, oh, hello Catherine Elizabeth, my best friend slash sister I never had, who introduced me to MFM during the Pits of twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: Oh hello, all.
Speaker 2: Right, money found story?
Speaker 1: Love it?
Speaker 2: Okay, this is called your classic Florida dad near kidnapping story. Hey, MFM. I've been making to write this in for so long, and finally I decided it was time. I grew up in a small town in Florida with my two amazing parents in the late nineties early two thousands. My parents raised my sister and I like a classic seventies eighties family think latchkeyp parenting with giant house parties on school nights. This included my dad taking me to his favorite local bar for happy hour when my mom took my sister to her ballet classes on Friday night. On this particul Friday night, my dad was drinking at the bar while I sat by myself in the quote kid's corner in the bar where they Yeah, but it's Florida, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Yep, and sorry, the eighties in Florida.
Speaker 2: This is the late ninety early two thousands, but everything was aged.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I bet you know.
Speaker 3: But that idea, it's like, well, at Lisa, maybe the trauma of that would be this lessened by just having other kids with you.
Speaker 2: Right, Well, she's alone, and then she says where they had an old, basically empty toy claw machine in a race car game so the parents could ignore the kids. All they wanted. Just threw some shit in the corner and they're like, that's a kid's corner. Yeah, I'm minding my business driving race cars. When a tall, thin man came up to me from the back door beside the claw machine, he proceeded to tell me that my dad was outside waiting for me and had asked him to kindly come collect me to go home. I was probably about six years old, and somehow my six year old brain told me that this guy was full of I looked over at the bar and saw my dad still standing with his friends, completely unaware of what was happening. I told the man I needed to get my stuffed animal at the bar and politely excuse myself to go. Ask my then quite drunk dad what was going on?
Speaker 1: Oh shit?
Speaker 2: When I told him, he grabbed the manager and drunkenly told her to maybe check out this guy outside. Turns out he had corralled another child with him and she caught him outside just in time. As far as I know, nothing ever came of this, and though I have tried to research this many times, there's no record of a near kidnapping at the local bar. My dad to this day can only vaguely remember almost losing his daughter that night and had never followed up about the man who tried to take her. Classic Dad. My dad is an incredible guy and continues to live life with a live fast, die young attitude at the ripe young age of seventy. As you can imagine, I have plenty more death secret past life stories that I would have to write about another day involving this legendary man. And with that, stay sexy and don't let your husband take your six year old to happy hour, or if you do, maybe sit her on the bar like a normal parent. Emma she her.
Speaker 1: Holy fucking shit, I'm a holy shit.
Speaker 2: You got to look at local kidnappings from that like from that area and that time, because.
Speaker 3: That guy was such a psycho that he he already had a kid and he was getting another kid.
Speaker 1: Like, what in the loving fuck are we talking about? Yeah, why did nobody follow up?
Speaker 2: Why?
Speaker 1: Why? Because they're all drunk and it's that kind of thing.
Speaker 3: It's like, that's the I feel like, maybe to me part of why I am as obsessed with true crime. There is a little bit of that the seventies parenting where it's like, why is no one paying attention? Am I the only one paying attention? Then it's like I better fucking pay attention, and I bet I better pay attention to all the day shit. So that like, because if it's you know, if it's me by myself.
Speaker 2: It's paying attention, then yeah, you're on your fucking own.
Speaker 3: And six year old Emma, the badass who's just like she first of all, how brilliant, She's like, not my dad, whatever, she goes, excuse me, I would like to go with you. That's a great idea. Let me get my stuffed animal like a child would.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh no, memento. Let me just go grab the and then be like, dad, what is up with this guy? She says that he knows.
Speaker 3: You should I go with this kidnapper? Or what do you would you like to win? Or are you having too much fun? Motherfucker?
Speaker 2: Okay, drink your fucking seven and seven and like, let's get the fuck out of here.
Speaker 3: Come, I mean, happier Yeah, no, rules, happier Jesus Christ, there is some active kidnapper in the building.
Speaker 1: Do you give a shit? Is really? Is the answer?
Speaker 3: Really? No?
Speaker 1: God, damn? Oh, I think you're gonna like this one.
Speaker 3: Okay, It says the power of the magic eight ball family drama request and it says, hello, lady, I could write a book about my family, but here's the story of why my cousin and I no longer speak.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I love it already, right, Hell, that's why family members don't speak.
Speaker 3: Please the most basic story is still going to be great. Yeah, it could be like we fought one time. It's like, god damn, yeah, yeah, I can.
Speaker 2: Really, I don't have anyone like I'll never speak to again, so it's really nice to hear that I.
Speaker 3: Only have like eight or nine people like that. My cousin and I were raised essentially as siblings, and so when he got engaged, I offered to help with the wedding planning, as I not only work at a wedding venue, but I've been a bridesmaid about ten times and have friends in the industry. The first time I read this, I didn't read clearly that they're saying they work at a wedding venue. So when they say I've been a bridesmaid ten times and have friends in the industry, it made me laugh so hard because I thought they were just like bragging that they'd bend to that many weddings, that they're.
Speaker 1: Like friends with the caterer. I know they teach everything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, their wedding budget was approximately five dollars, so the extended family was really trying to chip in to help. I was paying for the cake, my parents paid for the ceremony venue, and another family member was paying for the reception hall. I knew that the couple was stressed due to money, so I really tried to make the wedding planning meetings fun. And then in parentheses it says champagne music, dance breaks, bride and groom sashes, etc. We got an argument over family drama. And then in parentheses it says his mom doesn't like the bride.
Speaker 2: Ooh, I got a question. This whole fucking wedding. Yeah, well, this whole marriage, yeah.
Speaker 3: Okay, So they got an argument about that, and my involvement in the wedding stopped. I had tried to meet with my cousin on several occasions, and I even wrote him a letter, with no luck. The wedding was supposed to be in June of twenty twenty three, so in April, my cousin called a fifteen person family meeting. If you couldn't attend the meeting, then you were disinvited to the wedding.
Speaker 2: I love like a wedding monsters. These are great people go crazy, You go crazy fucking crazy, Okay.
Speaker 3: And it's not just like Bridezilla. It's like what happens is everyone goes crazy and the bride has to be the like middleman for all of it, and then they go crazy.
Speaker 2: I love when, like you see those people that like pop up online where it's like this is the list that the bride sent that you have, like the non negotiables if you want to be if you want to be invited, Like I love those, and they're like fucking nightmares my favorite.
Speaker 3: Well so it's like the non negotables, all right, well then I guess I'm out, like you're.
Speaker 2: Then I don't want to come there, fucking web.
Speaker 3: I can't imagine a world we're actually just on principle, I wouldn't like, well then, yeah, stand your ground, I'll talk to you later.
Speaker 1: Yeah, have a great life, you dumb ass.
Speaker 3: Okay, So if you didn't come to this meeting, you were just invited from the wedding. The meeting lasted two hours and no one was allowed to speak unless you were given the magic eight ball. However, no matter how many times someone asked for the eight ball, my cousin wouldn't give it to anyone. There ended up being physical fights plural at this meeting and so much screaming. I'm surprised the cops weren't called.
Speaker 1: Oh my God, the.
Speaker 3: Wedding ended up getting canceled just to find out that my cousin legally got married a whole year in advance and didn't tell anyone.
Speaker 1: So most of this drama was for nothing.
Speaker 2: Send us your stories about people being petty as fuck. That's hilarious.
Speaker 3: And also send us your stories about people who try to get their entire family to pay for shit they're doing when they already did it privately. Right, Stay sexy, and next time bring your own magic eight ball.
Speaker 1: Michelle.
Speaker 3: Oh, Michelle, I think you just kicked off a family drama series that I hope everybody can come to because truly doesn't take much for a family drama email to be great.
Speaker 2: Tell us about your family drama, the pettier the better, and you're just sitting pretty within your fucking in your non bullshit world.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Also, I think you could do a subset of like family wedding drama, because that alone, for.
Speaker 2: Sure, that alone or just wedding drama.
Speaker 1: Yeah, My next one's.
Speaker 2: Called I Ran Away on the Appalachian Trail at twelve. Okay, guys, I love your stories and I'm not a day winner, but I heard you're getting lost in the woods. Stories and have to tell you mine. I grew up in West Virginia and have always been the one gal every parent hates. So let's rewind to nineteen ninety six. I think here goes. My mother got married to the most annoying step dad any thirteen year old could imagine. He was a know it all and was a man.
Speaker 1: Of the woods.
Speaker 2: He was a biologist and always trying to impress his new wife with some woodsy excursion, irritating well. One particular day, he wanted to go on a hike to Rocky Run Shelter and thought it would benefit me as a tween to go on the hike. So clearly I asked my best friend to go, and something snapped in my tiny brain and I decided it would be fun for us.
Speaker 1: To run away.
Speaker 2: We hid in the woods until they couldn't see us, and then walked until we reached Rocky Run Shelter. Guys, in our dumb little brains, we thought we would meet hot hikers. Instead, we found an a frame shelter and cold woods. As it was the middle of December and we were freezing. Any old who after our fire burned out and we had one sip of water and fifteen skittles. We decided to go to sleep. We heard what we thought were farm dogs barking, but no, those were the hound dogs. The whole park service people unleashed the hounds and used helicopters to find us with infrared.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're two twelve year olds out in the fucking woods. They would have to in December.
Speaker 2: These kind of men rescued us with foil blankets and walked us out to the parking lot. I'm not sure if you've ever been in as much trouble as I was in that moment, despite a parking lot full of fire trucks and ambulances and reporters. My parents knew I did that on purpose, and their searing eyes and silence said everything, you little shit lit sit. The next day at school, I learned I was on the front page of all our local papers, and the lunch ladies laughed at me. I can send you the newspaper article to prove it. Love you and don't be a dumb tween and run away on the Appalachian Trail. The guys aren't that hot, m am.
Speaker 1: You're a legend ho hiker.
Speaker 3: I think that's so funny and cool and yeah, don't do it.
Speaker 2: Never do it.
Speaker 1: Don't do it.
Speaker 3: But what a fucking hilarious story to do something so oh brady that you end up on the front page of the paper.
Speaker 1: He's pretty legendary.
Speaker 2: And your parents aren't even worried about you because they're like this little fucking brat. Yeah, I know she's faking.
Speaker 3: They know. Okay, here's my last one. The subject line says, I know you love cute old people stories slash missed millionaires, and it says hey MFM fan, new slightly obsessed listener here, and then there's a little winky sideways emoji thing punctuation emoji, my favorite type of emoji. Quick appreciation for you, both as a fellow mental health advocate and fellow feeler of all the fields. Thank you for your authenticity and for simply talking about things that are so stigmatized in our society today. One of my favorite things is hearing how teared up you two and then a parentheses says, mostly Karen, get over sweet old people. And after a recent binge of MFM on my commune, I heard a request for more stories. Short and sweet story for my very Short and very Sweet ninety one and ninety year old grandparents aka Nana and Grandpa.
Speaker 1: Wow, you're so lucky.
Speaker 3: I know they made it. Back in the day, Grandpa was an architect. In fact, you can still find his buildings, homes and apartments in some suburbs of Chicago as well as the Sarasota area. And then parentheses it says, sweet random fact, my girl cousin Sary and I Cassandra have a street named after us in one of those Chicago suburb developments. Oh, the street is a combo of her and my name's Sarandara.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, do you live on that street? Tell us write us in. I bet someone listening right now lives on the fucking street Sarandara Avenue. Yeah, in Oak Park or some shit.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: A few years ago, when my family made it to Tampa for a visit, Nana's filled the beans on a little gem of Grandpa's architectural career. It turned out that back in the day, think fifty sixties, when they were living in Illinois and raising their family, Grandpa was approached with the opportunity and this says it in all caps, to design the McDonald's arches. Oh what the company was looking for? Something to set them apart in the burger world, and they were searching for someone to make their arch dreams a reality.
Speaker 1: They asked Grandpa. Grandpa turned them down. No, he thought the idea was stupid and not profitable.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, you could tell in Nana's voice on Grandpa's eye roll when she was telling the story that the two of them have had more than a couple conversations about the outcome of this career decision. This has come up and every time they fight, and every time they passed the McDonald's.
Speaker 2: And he refuses to eat a McDonald's and she fucking loves it.
Speaker 3: I've my friend Peter Folks has a I can't remember it's he nozguy was a relative of his who and I'm probably I probably have told you the story in these past nine years. In the seventies, it was a contest from the new slogan for New York City, and you know it's now I love New York like the iHeart New York thing. His submission was, I like New York. The shrug is the best part.
Speaker 1: He's so close like he was like, oh, I have a good slug and I like New.
Speaker 3: York and they're like, we'll go with I love New York because it actually sees.
Speaker 2: I mean, I like New York fits the New York vibe kind of better.
Speaker 3: Though it does, you know, and it is like you yeah, a little doubt, a little shrug.
Speaker 1: I like to not to, don't make a fuss, no big do. Oh Okay, here's the end of this email.
Speaker 3: All the love and smooches to two of my favorite people, and to Grandpa for sticking it to the man before it was even a thing, and before he even knew what he was doing. Stay sexy and maybe take a beat before rejecting an opportunity.
Speaker 1: Cass she her. Wow, that's and epic fail. So hilarious. I love it. Okay.
Speaker 2: My last one's about a grandma. Actually it's called klepto Grandma. Yes, hey, besties, My grandma Chris has never been the typical loving, good cook, spoiling the grandchildren type. Most holidays consisted of five dollars gift cards and scratch off lottery tickets as presents. Yeah sounds great.
Speaker 1: Yeah love that.
Speaker 2: As an only child and middle grandchild, too young for the older cousins and too old for the younger I typically spent my time snooping around my grandparents' house without notice.
Speaker 1: Hell yes, uh huh.
Speaker 2: My favorite thing to look at was the display of glass collectible cups. The cups have survived decades of air hockey pucks, pillows, and various toys flying around the room from my cousins. I asked my grandpa Roger if he remembers getting all of the indestructible glasses and if there were any stories behind them. His response, Oh, all of those are from your grandma making them from everywhere we went over the years. So it says what apparently any slight mention of liking anything from truly anywhere would magically end up in her purse. After the realization that my grandma is a klepto sunk in, I then started to remember all the things that grandma always brought home with her cups, utensils, bowls, umbrellas, jello shots. I got her way out of it, fucking Tenny's and she grabs the umbrella out of the umbrellas doad.
Speaker 1: She likes it, but it's like some other one.
Speaker 3: I was just trying to eat a Moon's over Miami, Miamiami.
Speaker 2: My grandpa also told me that she took one of the glasses from the restaurant during their first date. I asked what you thought when she whipped out the stolen cup and he just shrugged and said, should have been a sign. But oh well, it should have been a sign.
Speaker 1: That's good, Dadpa comedy right there, called a red flag.
Speaker 2: Forty eight years later and they're still happily married, and my grandma mainly goes to the casino to rack up those big ticket items and it says, how many blenders does one person need? Stay sexy and hydro valuables when my grandma is around Kayla ps. My grandpa also told me that my grandma took the tip money as well during their first date. Wtf, Christine, don't do that? How did she get a second date with this dude?
Speaker 3: First of all, did he take her on a date to like a jersey mis Like? Is it a tip at the front or was it like the tip on someone else's table?
Speaker 2: I think there's like the tip on the table, like he put the tip down on the table. She fucking took it.
Speaker 1: She took his tip money.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think so.
Speaker 2: She is spicy.
Speaker 1: She's a true club.
Speaker 3: Do I have to admit I'm not judging in Christine because or Kayla, who's you know, who cares? Who actually cares about Christine? But when I would get drunk, I love to like I would.
Speaker 1: I would be like that with.
Speaker 3: My but it was always my friend's stuff, and it was stuff that I would did next day. I'd be like, oh, sorry, I stole this, like a Frank Sinatra cassette tape, and I'd be like, didn't say like sorry, this is yours.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, just things ending up in your purse.
Speaker 3: It was like that feeling of like I want something, Why can't I have something?
Speaker 1: You know what I mean? Just constant dissatisfaction.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, this should be mine, this should be mine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, tell us.
Speaker 2: Your klepto stories, tell us your everything stories.
Speaker 3: Literally please, we love them, and thank you for submitting everybody on today's show and everybody ever forever. Yeah, in history, anyone who's ever written an email, thank you for your service.
Speaker 2: Appreciate you, say sexy and don't get murdered.
Speaker 4: Elvis, do you want a cookie?
Speaker 1: This has been an ex zactly write production.
Speaker 2: Our senior producer is Alejandra Keck.
Speaker 1: Our editor is Aristotle Oscevedo. This episode was mixed by Leona Squalacci.
Speaker 3: Emailing your hometowns to My Favorite Murder at gmail dot com and.
Speaker 2: Follow a show on Instagram and Facebook at my Favorite Murder and on Twitter at my Fave Murder.
Speaker 1: Goodbye,