Speaker 1: We're back with part two of our interview with one of our favorite rippers from Jesse and the Rippers, Gary Griffin. This is a great interview and we can't wait for you to hear the rest. Without further ado, here's Gary.
Speaker 2: I'm reading through all of Gary's credits because I like, you know, we we know you as a ripper, and we also know that you're like a really talented musician. But like I'm reading on here you Oh my god, you were on the Late Night with Jimmy Fallon with John. That's right, when Jimmy had John, Jesse and the Rippers are.
Speaker 3: It was never like our guest is John State. Most was our guests are Jesse and the Rippers because I was a big fan.
Speaker 2: He was a huge fan of Full House.
Speaker 3: He said. The action to us being on that show is bigger than I think you said. He had He had Paul McCartney on the week prior to that, and we got more of a reaction than.
Speaker 2: Hey, you're so wait, you're bigger than Jesus not the Beatles. That seems pretty obvious, right, Uh yeah, oh my god, that's crazy, so cool. I mean it really is, though, like such a anytime the Rippers are mentioned, or like any like of the deep cut things or the things that you know we were all doing on the show People, the Motown Philly dance girl Talk, our band people Love.
Speaker 3: Oh out here out here. All these years later, when I when I'm mentioned in passing to people that I meet that I was, I was. I was on that show Full House. Remember do you guys remember Jesse and the Rippers. It's like, m really, you were in the you were one of the rippers.
Speaker 1: Gives you street cred in streets.
Speaker 3: We were a clue. We were a clue on Jeopardy. They were really The topic was something like TV bands or something like that, and the answer was Jesse Catsopolis's band, Jesse and the Rippers.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, what is Jesse and the Rippers Alex Raise.
Speaker 3: On Full House whatever. I don't know how structured, but we were.
Speaker 2: So you really do. Once you've made it as a Jeopardy clue, you're like, that's it. I can I'm done.
Speaker 1: It's the highest honor.
Speaker 3: Coincidentally, totally the week prior, my dad, who was a notorious World War Two navigator, his mission, the mission he flew on was a clue on Jeopardy just a week earlier. Oh wow, he was in the do Little Raid, which is they bomb Tokyo right after Harbor.
Speaker 2: I mean that's I know how that's crazy, like to be like, yeah, well, my dad was a Jeopardy clue and I'm a Jeopardy.
Speaker 1: Clue and like famous family.
Speaker 2: I can't even I can't even say that Gary, I am.
Speaker 3: The contestants, Like the contestants didn't get my dad's question right, and he's that's famous raid. Mean people that know that. Yeah, but when Jesse and the Rivers came on, Jesse Rivers, contants knew the answer.
Speaker 2: Pop culture is so pervasive and full House was such a staple of it.
Speaker 3: People can't believe that I was a Ripper. I mean, really, that's impressive to you.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's impressive to us. I remember you guys always like whenever there would be an episode with the Rippers and with John and with music, I was always so excited because I I mean we all were, but like I loved music and dance and everything. It was so much fun. I mean from episode two dancing on that speaker, I remember, you know, I remember the sound also of drums with like a sandbag at him, so it's not that loud, Like, Oh, I had never experienced that before, so I was like, that's a weird drum sound.
Speaker 1: Did you have any reservations about working with child actors and later on the pets, all the all the animals on the show, and you know, did you have any reservations about that?
Speaker 3: I didn't have any experience. I wouldn't know good from bad. I thought, oh, I'm working, that's fine.
Speaker 1: I don't care who they say, never don't ever work with children or animals. And you stepped right into both.
Speaker 3: All I remember, it's just laughing, and of course Bob and Dave being extremely inappropriate around.
Speaker 1: You got always but hilarious and all of us.
Speaker 3: Did he really say that.
Speaker 1: As long as the kids were back in the school.
Speaker 3: Exactly, But you weren't.
Speaker 2: That's true. There were times that but luckily the jokes literally and figuratively went right on. I'm not going to it didn't probably tinge my sense of humor in a certain way, and then all of us are a little bit darker and more morbid for it will but it definitely, yeah, exactly, we all are, and you know, I Bob.
Speaker 3: Bob was non stop. I mean he was non stop, and I would say seventy percent of it was funnier than extremely funny. The other thirty was like.
Speaker 2: That's a great ratio.
Speaker 1: That's a really good ratio.
Speaker 2: But like it would peek and you could see Bob going like I'm gonna keep going. I'm gonna keep going, and Dave would be doing it and he's like, I'm gonna top Dave, I'm gonna and then he'd just keep going, and then it was like everyone just went yeah, that was good. And he was like, oh man, what we're like, if you would have stopped three punch lines ago, you would have you would have topped.
Speaker 1: What was it like coming back for Fuller House all those years later you were in the pilot of Fuller House?
Speaker 3: Felt like it had been like it had been like we just had about a month off. That's about it. It's same five same people. Obviously, the set looked exactly the same. It was right. I loved it. I was happy to come back to do it.
Speaker 2: I mean, and we've seen you throughout the years at John's house and an event. You know, it's again like part of we've talked about it all the time, like the extended family of this show that it wasn't you know. There was the cast, yes, but then there was like the the extended cast and their families and our families and our fam you know, it was like we all knew each other, we all were supportive, and it was like this this camaraderie and this this team and this family that really extended and just had such ripple effects out from you know, this show and this cast to all of our lives.
Speaker 3: It's incredible. I remember first when John first told me about Full House, you know, before you had start all right, He said, I'm gonna get I'm gonna get together at this bar down on fan Nice Boulevard with a couple of guys working on this TV show and it was there was Jeff and Dave and he said. I was hanging out with him that that day, and I guess Jeff was explaining the show and I was.
Speaker 4: Like, oh, yeah, that sounds really good because I don't know anything about TV. I don't know anything. Yeah, this is gonna be great. That sounds really cool.
Speaker 2: Do you remember how did John feel? Was he like excited about it?
Speaker 3: Jean? You know how John is like, I guess it's that.
Speaker 4: His head.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, hair.
Speaker 2: Moving them, moving them off around.
Speaker 3: I think in his in his head, he's like, well, this sounds really good because it was good and it was created, And if I knew anything about TV, I would have been excited. But I was like, okay, let's go, Okay, I gotta go.
Speaker 2: Did the Rippers have any like pre show rituals that they did before they played together? Did you guys like get together and rehearse before shows? How How did like the music part come together?
Speaker 3: Because I know all music segments were pre recorded right that week, so but there were a couple episodes where I remember we did actually play in the scene, which is a high risk thing because the audio has to be just right and there's so many variables that it can be a bad idea.
Speaker 2: More often not in this, And I think a lot of people probably don't that might be listening to this, might not know that that most most music that you hear on TV shows and stuff is all pre recorded because of the problems that you have with sinking sound and with you know, all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: So that was the only prep was just to listen to the pre record and know exactly what you're supposed to play. So your hands are in the right place and doing the right things, so you're not you don't have one hand hanging out here while you're hearing A guitar player, you mean.
Speaker 2: You mean like the way I play guitar, the way I terribly play guitar, or don't.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I've never heard your guitar playing. I'm sure it's fabulous.
Speaker 2: It's not. It's really terrible and uh. And they kept making stuff a guitar player and I was like, Steph, is I really feel like more of a singer, just a straight singer.
Speaker 1: You didn't even want to mime it, like you just were like, no.
Speaker 2: I couldn't mind it. But I but because I hated I hate the not knowing what I'm doing and looking like I don't know what I'm doing. I'd rather just like cut above it and not have people going, that's actually a G You're playing a G and it's most easy or whatever. And I'm like, I can't, I can't. I know, I can't play.
Speaker 3: I don't need I had to work on some shows through the years where I had to teach non musicians how to look like they're playing the right thing on the guitar or whatever. Yeah, And I was brutal about it. I said, no, you cannot have your hand right here while you're hearing this. You've got to get this right. And most people I worked with would take the time to learn how to do it, which is great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember doing that for Girl Talk. It was like, I just even if I couldn't because I have small hands. It was hard to learn how to play a guitar. But I was like, even if I cannot actually making the noise, like, let me at least try and look like it. Plus we were a kid band, so it wasn't we didn't have to look great.
Speaker 1: I got lucky with the keyboard because you can hide your hands easier behind the keyboard. I don't know Gary, if you ever taught me tricks with the keyboard or if I just faked it.
Speaker 3: But I think it was pretty I think you figured that out on your own.
Speaker 1: Just have your hands bouncing up and down right right, Just look just.
Speaker 3: To the cameras up here, you know, well they're not seeing my hands.
Speaker 1: Yeah, small movements, small movements. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It makes sense though that Kimmy played the played the keyboard since Uncle Gary Gibler also was.
Speaker 1: A keyboard player. That's the connection is all making. That's what we came up with on our own.
Speaker 3: Family was we were we were driven.
Speaker 2: They were driven, but in all sorts of strange ways, you know, like you just never quite knew what was happening with the Gibblers.
Speaker 3: Still don't.
Speaker 2: Still don't know how many two or one.
Speaker 1: Two bs G I B B L E R. People get that wrong a lot. That's okay, Gibbler, Yeah, Gibler, gibblets.
Speaker 2: Oh god, gimmes. What Gary, what has been your I mean, obviously, other than full House and Fuller House, what has been your favorite venue to perform in?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Has there been like a place that really really remember?
Speaker 3: This is so cool that in recent years, at this point in my life, I've been able to play these touring with Brian Wilson, playing the most amazing places around the world. We played Royal Albert Hall and the Rayman Auditorium and Tokyo and oh Wow name we played. Every town has a beautiful theater, but some of these places, you know, we walk down there, we walk down stage at the Royal Albert Hall, They're like, where I get here? How do this?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 2: That's incredible. The Royal Albert Hall, Like, wow.
Speaker 3: So many venues like that because Brian plays the most beautiful place. Yeah, it's really like overwhelming, and I do not take it from ranted. This is a blessing. This is very cool, especially to get to you know, I'm I mean, I'm in the back nine. So to get to this point, to this point and still be doing stuff like this, it's just wow, this is so cool.
Speaker 1: What a resume it really is.
Speaker 2: It's such a it's so much fun to get to be able to like do what you.
Speaker 1: Love, you know.
Speaker 2: I mean I think when like when we all came back to Fuller House and doing it's like, oh yeah, you just when you know what you love to do and you know what you love creating and and doing, like, there's just no there's no greater joy than you know, being for me being on set and like you know and working and entertaining and doing all that, and for you it's music, and it's like, I just you know, I love to see people thriving and getting to do what they love.
Speaker 3: That's what I've done and I'm very thankful for it. It's been great.
Speaker 2: So outside of keyboard, what are you what do you keep yourself busy with Gary. Well, you don't ironman competitions.
Speaker 3: I'm not eligible because I'm in a different league.
Speaker 2: And you know, right, right right, you wouldn't want to make people look.
Speaker 3: I get that I've shown up for some of them. They said out out. We just we just we're just. Elizabeth and I are just we have it. We're active in a church here. We do music at a church. And I'm not doing a whole lot of performing right now. Just it's a gig every now and then with some of my old friend from back here that I worked with years ago, which is great fun to get back with him. Just enjoying a little quieter life. You know, I was out there for forty years in California. I living forty years out there, And wow, I realized once I left there, I was working all the time on something, whether it was the project was huge, whether it was small. I had something going every all the time, which is pretty amazing. Cook.
Speaker 2: That's a really really great problem to have, you know, I mean, like I mean to be like a continually working musician and producer like that, Like that's awesome.
Speaker 3: It was great. So once I got away from that, I was able to take it easy here and you know, have some free time.
Speaker 2: And let's good, well, deserves in retirement. Yeah, rippers in retirement is your new check person.
Speaker 1: That's retirement, right right?
Speaker 2: Yes, but yeah, well they're playing, Yeah, they play at Jesse's home because he's been institutionalized at this point, Jesse's old.
Speaker 3: We're all in the computer moment with the retirement home.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, just rocking it job.
Speaker 3: Yet another version of Forever.
Speaker 2: But trying to just revamp it over the last thirty years. Every time. Well, that's what you do on Saturday nights. Friday nights is laundry, Saturday nights is the playing in the rec room, and then Sunday is your zoom.
Speaker 3: Yeahs exactly.
Speaker 2: I like it. That's a great schedule.
Speaker 1: Speaking of Forever, let's talk about that real quick because I know, are some of our producers just recently realized that John did not write that song.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, No, he didn't write Tennis Wilson.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, And a lot of people don't know that. They just assumed that John wrote it. So yeah, talk about blowing your mind.
Speaker 2: It was basically a Beach Boys like cover, wasn't it it?
Speaker 3: In I think nineteen seventy. Yeah, and it was beautiful. Dennis wrote it and he sang it, and it was a beautiful record and we just took it and squeezed whatever we could out of it. Do you remember the hip hop version we did? It's kind of rap version?
Speaker 2: What what did you remember?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: Wait?
Speaker 1: Was this on the show or just the show?
Speaker 3: The storyline was some big shot producer was coming in to try to revamp Jesse and the Rippers and give.
Speaker 2: Him a new sound, right, And I can't.
Speaker 3: Remember the actor's name that played the producer, but he was in there just, you know, spewing a line of crap to us, you gotta do this. And the little hip hop version of where John did a little rap.
Speaker 1: Oh no, oh, I cannot wait for this episode.
Speaker 2: This is tim I can't wait.
Speaker 1: To get I don't remember this at all, so yeah, I can't wait.
Speaker 2: I don't either.
Speaker 3: Definitely one of the later years, I don't know the show title.
Speaker 2: Or anything, probably seventh season or something.
Speaker 1: On one of our fans a chance of China. Right now, one of our fans is writing on Instagram at this very moment the exact same and the episode number because they.
Speaker 2: Know and I'm going to be on the countdown for the hip hop version of Forever. I hope it becomes a TikTok like viral song that everyone starts using.
Speaker 3: I remember, I remember we did that recorded at a career recorded at my studio, and we had a blast it. It was this is we thought, this is good to be so offensively hilarious. It was.
Speaker 2: It was, oh my god, Forever, the hip hop version.
Speaker 3: That's we did the wedding version with the stream.
Speaker 2: Court right right, oh yes, and Jesse and Becky's wedding.
Speaker 3: I always I often wondered what Dennis Wilson, who had already passed away, what he would have thought of all these versions of it?
Speaker 2: Right, He's like, that was not what I wrote that for done?
Speaker 1: What have you done?
Speaker 3: He had a great sense of you. He probably would have loved it.
Speaker 2: I mean, the song has lived on. People know that it is a great song. Do you wait, do you guys remember.
Speaker 1: The music video, Oh the Baby, the music video shirtless John the Baby.
Speaker 3: Were black and white.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, he had the app no shirt on and it.
Speaker 1: Was yes, yep, yeah was this shot and there was like there was like.
Speaker 2: I feel like there was like wind and.
Speaker 1: Like a gauze or something happening.
Speaker 2: Like, and he was like, you know, his hair was having a moment and he had like a like a chain on and like no shirt and he was, yeah, it was great.
Speaker 1: He was selling it. It was so good selling.
Speaker 3: It Valencia or something that way.
Speaker 2: Oh god, so you could have the nice, big, expansive sort of oak tree moment out in the Yeah.
Speaker 1: That was. That was such a great video, so great.
Speaker 2: And it's like the things like that that are fun that we looked. I'll say, there's Andrews balloons again.
Speaker 1: What did I do? I didn't even do anything happened.
Speaker 2: Right, you just I don't know.
Speaker 1: See I can I can make my screen do things. Jody can't. I'm very excited about this.
Speaker 2: I can't. I haven't updated my computer yet because every time I turn around and go, oh, I don't have time to update.
Speaker 1: I know that's okay. I don't know what I'm doing. I'm gonna sit on my hands. I'm sitting on my hands.
Speaker 2: What are you? I don't know.
Speaker 1: If you confetti?
Speaker 3: She wants us to look at her and talk about it.
Speaker 1: How are you sorry? Very distracting. Well.
Speaker 2: The Zoom also was a big fan of Forever. So I just wanted to let us know through the AI web verse that it also loved that song, loved all the versions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we we have a producer. Note that the rap version of Forever was on season five, episode twenty six, so we got we got a while ago, Jody, we.
Speaker 2: Do, but I it's it's in the brain now.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I might just have to go to that clip and just watch that.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, the hip hop version of Forever I gonna be so good.
Speaker 3: For one of the lines was, you know, the line in the song was if every word I say it could make you laugh. I'd talked forever and we did something something, if every word I say to you could But that They'm hang, how long forever?
Speaker 2: Dead dead has changed everything?
Speaker 3: How long forever? Oh my, it's so irre.
Speaker 2: It's great. I love irreverent. The weirder the better. This is groundbreaking information and I cannot but the best part is again we're like surprised by it, but there's probably tons of fans out there they're like, yeah, yeah, forever you at this point.
Speaker 1: Because definitely, for sure, no doubt, for sure.
Speaker 2: Have you ever gotten recognized by anyone that you don't know? Gary?
Speaker 3: Like back in the day when the show was being shot, and I looked like I looked on the show, but I don't right, you know, I had had red hair.
Speaker 1: It was red red hair. You were very identifiable with your red hair.
Speaker 3: And that's that's as I say, that's all down in the Long Beach Harbor. Now it washed through them, just washed away around the pier. That's all got So no nobody, nobody recognized No, no way, not anymore.
Speaker 2: Not now. Yeah, not now.
Speaker 1: But was it?
Speaker 2: Was it weird to be recognized like when you were on the show back then, Like were you used to it or was.
Speaker 3: It I found myself thinking if I mean, I don't want to un say, but if somebody took the time to recognize me from the show, then they're watching too much TV. They're paying too much attention.
Speaker 2: Well they were watching these I mean especially now because it's on all the time and the DVDs and you did streaming and everything. You know, you can watch it all the time. But back then, yeah, people were like they were. They would record it and watch it over and over and over again. And I mean, it's great.
Speaker 3: But I didn't exactly.
Speaker 2: Fans are very close ups with.
Speaker 3: Me you know, I was generally I learned, well that's one thing I learned early on, like all the way back in General Hospital, and my character was sort of incidental background, and I would always see, okay, what's the camera shots? Steamhos is right here, and I'm gonna move right over to here.
Speaker 1: You knew your angles background.
Speaker 2: Just always be off.
Speaker 3: You see me kind of creep into the sea.
Speaker 2: See, so you do know how to be an actor.
Speaker 1: That's all it takes.
Speaker 2: It's all it takes, just warming your way into the shot.
Speaker 1: Gary, would you come back and do a fullest House? If there is a third iteration of the show, would you come back and you would? Yes?
Speaker 3: What about even fuller even even.
Speaker 1: Even fuller even fuller house?
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's no more room in this.
Speaker 1: We have to buy more houses along the streets.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a fuller nursing home.
Speaker 2: It'll be our Golden Girls version.
Speaker 1: Let's manifest that. Let's manifest it. Have a reunion with Well instead of your zoom your rippers, we can just have a reunion on a full full even fuller house set. Right, Yeah, well you were.
Speaker 2: You guys did the final episode of Fuller House to right? You were?
Speaker 1: There wasn't that the final that was I think second, No, that.
Speaker 2: Was the laundromat scene the end that was the.
Speaker 1: Finale of season four, because I was I announced my pregnancy.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so that must have been season four.
Speaker 2: I think here because you guys, we did hear here Comes the Sun or something, right, and it was like after the was it the wedding episode? Wasn't the wedding episode or last one it was?
Speaker 1: And the yeah it's not the laundromat one? Was the laundromat your final episode?
Speaker 3: The first episode of the final season.
Speaker 1: Oh, I don't know, I don't remember.
Speaker 2: I don't know. So you know what again, one of our fans will be like, no, no, no, no, you guys, here's that's we just turned to them and we go here.
Speaker 1: We should really have them, like like like a phone of friend, but we have a fan we need.
Speaker 3: Right listener.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm mean Kim Moffatt has volunteered for it to be our phone a fan, so I'm sure she would know things. Kim worked on Fuller House and it is a good friend of ours, but she knows a lot about the show that we don't, which is to say pretty much. Oh man, Well, Gary thank you so much for coming on the show. Like this has been such a great time and a great interview. And again now you're gonna be recognized again. You know, people are gonna they're gonna be they're gonna be hunting you down looking for the O.
Speaker 3: G Rippers, a bunch out in the street right now.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, they're waiting outside your house with camera.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're out there. They're gonna do. It's gonna be a flash mob of the hip hop version of Forever right outside your house in the front the front lawn.
Speaker 3: A little small town just north of Cincinnati. And it's like the word gets out in the neighborhood or the new guy, you guy was on Full House, the new Guy the name, and so it's just it's like they can't it doesn't register, Like why would you be here if you're such a reacher successful explain to you.
Speaker 2: You're like, let me let me tell you about talk about property, right, let's talk.
Speaker 3: Property, not only that but real estate prices.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: It's only when we can cash you in California. Just get out.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 2: Well, great things. I'm so glad that we got to have you on and that we got to hear the behind the scenes from the ripper's point of view, which you know, the rumors have been circulating for years.
Speaker 3: We want you don't want to?
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks for the only I mean the only unsolved ripper rumors is who had the rat tail at this point.
Speaker 1: But we'll find his name. We're gonna find his name and get him on the show.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what, we'll send it. We'll send Gary a screen shot and we can be like, name this ripper and this ripper.
Speaker 3: There's a there's a show, there's.
Speaker 1: A game name this remove over Jeopardy, this ripper, Ripper.
Speaker 2: That's the that was the that was the like the end, the final question on Jeopardy was named this Ripper and it was just a picture of that guy and you had to name him. And if you did, you want all the money.
Speaker 3: You got something. Let's workshop that and we'll get back to excellent.
Speaker 2: Excellent, I mean I already know what the theme song is gonna be. They hip a version of Forever obviously well.
Speaker 1: Updated, updated it right now. Excellent.
Speaker 2: Good to work, Garry, Thank you so much for joining us. We absolutely are so honored to have had uncle Gary Gibbler on the show.
Speaker 1: We love you so much. Gary, I am all right, thanks so much.
Speaker 2: There doing a flash mob. That's eleven hugs Gary by Gary. Oh that was so fun again, like hearing all the behind the scenes stuff, this is great. And the like I had no idea he was on General Hospital, Yeah I didn't.
Speaker 1: And Blackie and the riff riff raff Black Jesse and the Rippers, you know what I mean, Like, just what's another riff sound for a band? You know, honey?
Speaker 2: Oh r I f riff f r A f f r I P p e r s. Almost it's almost the same amount of.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hey, why be creative when you can just follow a format.
Speaker 2: And you can just when you can just rip something off a.
Speaker 1: Rimshot.
Speaker 2: Thank you guys for listening and continuing to go down memory lane with us. Make sure you're following us on Instagram at how Rude Podcast. We love getting your comments. We post lots of fun behind the scenes pictures up there too that we talk about in episodes. And make sure you're liking and subscribe bing it to the podcast wherever you're listening so that you can get all the newest episodes right when they drop. And also if you want to email us with questions or corrections or things that you want to know about, send us an email at Howarudepodcast at gmail dot com and tune in next time for another fabulous episode, hopefully of how Rude Tanner Rito's and remember the world is small, the house is full.
Speaker 1: I don't like this. I don't like that you're getting this right so many times.
Speaker 2: I'll right, we did it.
Speaker 1: It's it's over now.