Speaker 1: Countdown with Keith Olderman is a production of iHeartRadio. Reading the poll numbers just about now is like juggling flaming chainsaws. But there in between dismemberment and conflagration are the late deciders, and the late deciders are breaking for Kamala Harris. The Emerson College poll is forty nine, forty eight Harris, and two percent undecided. But Emerson reports that the late deciders, those who have made their choice in the last month or even the last week, have been breaking for Kamala Harris sixty to thirty six. Sixty percent of those deciding in real time right now are picking the vice president. And the math after that is pretty simple. If you have your own chalkboard. There's something like three and one quarter million people who will vote by two weeks from today who have not yet decided. If they break the same way those who have decided in the last month have, she gets a net of about six hundred and fifty thousand votes. I'm not saying she gets six hundred and fifty thousand more votes. I'm saying expect the probable Trump votes and the probable Harris votes. Subtract the probable Trump votes from the probable Harris votes, and she will add to her lead nationally by a net gain of six hundred and forty eight thousand votes six forty nine, six fifty. If they break this way in Pennsylvania sixty percent to her, she will add another twenty seven thousand, six hundred and sixty votes to her lead in Pennsylvania. Trump one Pennsylvania by a margin of forty five thousand votes. Biden won Pennsylvania by eighty thousand votes. Do you see it now? Sixty percent late breakers going to Harris, and her one or two point leads in the swing states become victories, and her one or two point deficits in other swing states can become victories as well. A little bit more subtle, the Emerson poll also says three percent of the decideds could still change their mind. That group is also favoring Harris by five points, and the impact of that number five points is a lot more dangerous to predict in theory, I mean, all the undecided decideds, including those now supporting Harris, could all go for Trump one hundred percent for Trump extraordinarily unlikely, obviously, just as it is extraordinarily unlikely that they would all go for her, But in any subset like this, late deciders might change their minds. Left handed voters, you want to be ahead today, not behind, and you want to be ahead by more than the national lead. If she's ahead in this group by five and leading in the polls by one or two, you are happy to be ahead by five points in the might change their mind demographic. You are ecstatic to be ahead by twenty four points in the late deciders. All right, stay with me here a little bit further on the numbers, because CNN has taken its average of polls and identified a Trump damn break in his core group. In twenty sixteen, Trump won non college white voters nationally by thirty three points. In twenty twenty, he won them by thirty one points. Right now he is winning them by twenty seven points. Doesn't sound like a lot of a difference there. It's still an extraordinarily large victory in this demographic. But once again, as CNN did, apply that damn break just to Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin, and it could be suddenly decisive for Harris. Likely voters in those three states are fifty one percent non college whites. The core of Trump's voting block is a majority in those states. And again, the term likely voters is like the term chance of rain. But when you produce any number that big that it's like half of everybody, you pay attention because even close matters. Here. Half the voters in Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin are non college whites. Trump's support among non college whites is down four points since twenty twenty. It's down three points in just those three states since twenty twenty. That's a loss of thirteen percent of his support in that group, and that more than balances out any gains he makes in any of the demographic groups, particularly the ones that are smaller. And guess what. In Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin, all other demographic groups are smaller, non college whites are majorities there. The Associated Press and NORK did an issues poll, and suddenly Harris is more trusted on economics, trusted by two points more on jobs and unemployment, trusted on housing costs by five points more than Trump, trusted on middle class taxes by ten points more than Trump. Even on the core issue cost of groceries and gas, he is favored over her, but by only two points If those numbers are even close to reality, Trump is in a world of hurt. And the other thing about the Emerson Interior numbers I wanted to come back to, and these other numbers threaded out by Harry Enton at CNN, is that they render the big national polls and even the big swing state poles even more fluid and even more good looking for Kamala Harris. The Washington Post, as I'm sure you saw, came out yesterday with Harris up by two in Georgia, two in Michigan, two in Pennsylvania, three in Wisconsin, tied in Nevada, trailing in Arizona, and North Carolina by three each. What do you suppose those numbers would look like if each state matches that key Emerson number, two percent undecided, sixty percent of late deciders breaking for Harris. Well, those numbers look nicer, much nicer, much much nicer. They look in fact, friendly and alluring and like they are baking us all apple pies for election Day. Also, Trump is crazy, and he does keep saying crazy things. Assassination attempt survivor. Trump yesterday endorsed the threatening of public officials by armed gunmen. Swanna Noah North Carolina, twelve thirty pm Eastern yesterday. I am Martin Gunman was arrested in charge of making friends It's FEMA workers Saturdays ago, Tema had a safety stand down here an incredible friends isn't helping to recovery up in North Carolina, complaining he's playing with Mima's.
Speaker 2: Not doing their job.
Speaker 3: Well, I think you have to let people know how they're doing. If they were doing a great job, I think we should say that too, because I think they should be rewarded. But if they're not doing does that mean that if they're doing a poor job, we're supposed to not say it. These people are entitled to say it.
Speaker 1: Yes, let them know they're doing a bad job with a gun. This is this lie that he keeps pushing, and they keep letting him push it, and they keep not saying it's a lie that FEMA money went to immigrants and that there's a big meeting. The big meeting would be the House of Representatives putting money into FEMA, which it is refusing to do. Trump encouraging North Carolinians to threaten FEMA employees overlies that McDonald's Trump tells and Trump cultists believe. While by the way, the Republican Congressman Chuck Edwards stands behind him at that news conference, hours after Edwards's latest statement praising FEMA and the Biden administration for the job it is doing in North Carolina. Trump then says guns, threats, shootings, Edward's silence and tell me, are we still waiting for Trump's post assassination attempt reset? By the way, raised not this congressman Edwards. He lied by omission because he owns a bunch of McDonald's. And after this latest photo op, Edwards presented Trump with a pin for his lapel signifying Trump's graduation from French fry School or Ronald McDonald clown College. I couldn't bear to look now. The likeliest explanation for this whole thing at Swannanoa is that Trump didn't hear or didn't remember the reference to armed gunmen in the question I'm betting on not remembered. I mean, I mean, hellot, it did happen nearly thirty seconds earlier, and it didn't have anything to do with him personally, So why would he remember something that happened thirty seconds ago? Oh yeah, and as the fake McDonald's employee, in the size xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx l apron in the closed McDonald's with the fake customers. As he was winched back into his car in North Carolina, somebody asked him about the Republican candidate for governor there, the one Trump endorsed, good old Mark Nude Africa Robinson. It is difficult to hear, but you will hear Natalie Allison of Politico asking Trump if North Carolinians should still support Mark Robinson. Trump's answer is not Mark Robinson, Mark Robinson who? But it might as well have been, because what he did, in fact say was I'm not familiar with the state of the race right now. I haven't looked. I haven't seen it. Kind of a bigger traced that I was talking about him.
Speaker 2: Haven't seen it.
Speaker 1: Coincidentally, I believe quote I haven't looked, I haven't seen it was Lieutenant Governor Robinson's first response when they discovered he had figuratively added a porn wing to his home, and also that he was pro Jim Crow, pro slavery, and pro whipping. By the way, the reporter there, Miss Allison, I don't know her deal, but her story appeared in Dos Politico. The one that occurred after Trump pretended Mark Robinson wasn't one of his guys, and after Trump told more lies about FEMA and immigrants and money, and after Trump at minimum sloppily implied you should threaten government employees with a gun, even after somebody shot at him, and after Trump got some kind of memorial French fry lapel pin. Her story had this headline slapped on it. Back at DOS Politico headquarters, Trump strikes somber tone while touring storm ravaged North Carolina. Your daily reminder to dos Politico that you can sell your soul to Trump, like my one time co anchor, Sage Page Rage whatever her name was, Steel, Like Rage Steel found out on Sunday. If there's a problem, you can depend on him. He'll always pretend to not know you. Mark, who flick flick did you say? And your daily reminder that all the data and all the polling and all the interior numbers tend to discount the reality that Trump's decline is accelerating and his chances of saying exactly the wrong thing to the people who matter right now, the two percent undecided who are already breaking sixty to forty for Kamala Harris. Those chances are also accelerating the closer we get to election day. He's dead on his feet out there. Whether those people that two percent, whether they are agonizing over their decisions or are just more worried right now about which neighborhood kid to hire to rake the leaves, and they'll get to their decision about the election on the way to vote. They will still be influenced by the events of the next two weeks, like Trump's daily moment of stupid and yesterday's Trump Daily moment of stupid was in Greenville, North Carolina.
Speaker 3: I will invoke the Alien Enemies Act of eighteen to oh of seventeen ninety eight.
Speaker 1: Seven.
Speaker 3: Think of that seventeen ninety eight. That's when we had real politicians that said, we're not going to play games. We have to go back to seventeen ninety eight.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, yes, we have to go back to seventeen ninety eight, when we had real politicians who weren't woke woke, which is what he called them the last time he harkened back to that wonderful year seventeen ninety eight. Where were you and what were you doing when laws went into effect making it a crime to go to size the federal government out loud or in print, and when, of course we still had slavery, And no, Trump did not just endorse slavery, but you know what he is at slavery endorsement adjacent And keep this in your heart going forward the next two weeks. Trump is just crazy enough. I'm not saying he's going to I'm saying he's crazy enough to maybe cross that street and come up upon slavery and before election day give slavery a big old hug. The only wild card is considering his base. Would that hurt Trump or help him? Also of interest here on this all new edition of Countdown, So Newsy got fired. This is days after Cheryl Hines showed up at the Al Smith dinner with her husband, Robert F. The f is not for the future, mister Olivia Newsy Kennedy Junior. She's done. I mean, she can get some money for her memoir, but not if she struggles with acknowledging it it was not all a plot against her, and she struggles with that, You'll have to take my work for them. She factors into worse persons upcoming, but not actually in the way you would expect, sort of peripherally, and I should mention the comedian who actually did juggle chainsaws, Michael Davis. Also, I am so tired that yesterday I said it was only a week until the election. It's two weeks. So the good news is Kamala Harris has got two weeks to turn those late deciders going sixty four for her into a big win. The bad news is it's two weeks. I'm so tired. The other bad news, I think what I basically meant was it's only one week until the World Series finally starts. All of that's next. This is Countdown. This is Countdown with Keith Oberman, my crazy friend still ahead on this all new edition of Countdowns. Sportsball time. That's exciting baseball season now, rachels, it's climax with the World Series beginning only four days from now. Boy, have they screwed this up? The Dodgers and Yankees will play a World Series. It would take me literally eight minutes to walk to the subway and like twenty two minutes to get to the stadium on the subway, and it's not worth it. On the other hand, now I'll have to stay home and like listen to John Smoltz complain about how the pictures aren't as good as he was. Oh no, that's not gonna listen to my friend Boog Shambie on ESPN Radio instead. And I have a fact for you about how the pictures in this Yankees Dodgers World series are likely to be better than the pictures were in the nineteen fifty five Yankees Dodgers World series. And you can surprise your friends with this fact. Next. First, there are still more new idiots to talk about, the daily roundup of the miss Grants, morons and Dunning Kruger effects specimens who constitute two days where's paces in the word? Sorry to invoke my late friend Vin Scully, but it's a Dodger Yankees World series. The bronze worse, doctor said Newi of London, the old how it started, how it's going thing? Doctor Newi writes, I am a Muslim. Daily I treat Jews, and I have taken a hippocritical oath that outlines my responsibilities in the Buckingham Crew. However, I must admit that if I had the power, I would vanish every Jew. Okay, that's how it started. Now, he writes, I want to clarify that my apology is genuine and not motivated by fear of my position. Every organization, including NHS England, NHS UK and GMC UK, knows me and my commitment to providing compassionate care. I sincerely felt the impact of my words and recognize the need to apologize. My intention has always been to promote understanding and respect, and I will continue to strive for that in my work. Thank you for your understanding. Doctor Nouri, evidently still employed and evidently not some sort of troll fake account, tried a few more apologies, tried reaching out to a few people that he might have said he wanted to vanish, and when that didn't work, he started back on anti Semitic attacks, but with a twist. Yesterday he posted his own campaign ad for Trump and Elon Musk. Trump must connection is crucial. Must gives Trump media boost Ya exprooting free speech that's stupid. Musk gives Trump internationale business boost via Tesla Okay. Musk reigns in Trump on wars. Elon Musk wouldn't stop a war if it saved some of his children. Must gives Trump economic boost for American prosperity. Two business geniuses vote Trump. It's unbelievable. You can talk about killing people and that turns out not to be your dumbest tweet of the week, Doctor Newry, trying to help tap down Trump's reputation as an anti Semite and Musks as a pro apartheid druggie. What's next trashing the World Series? Oh no, no, no, that's my department the runner up wor Sir, New York Magazine. I mean this is timing, This is all time great timing. Today it is devoted most of its issue that came out yesterday to a huge feature interviewing a bunch of people you never heard of, but not one progressive media critic. And the summary of this, can the media survive? Fifty seven of the most powerful people in media on its future? Big tech, feckless owners, cord cutters, restive staff, smaller audiences, and the return of print. By the way, New York Magazine thinks, Gail King is one of the fifty seven most powerful people in media, So they publish this joke with all these powerful people that no one knows because the media is about who can get the biggest salary before the whole thing goes under and hours after they published this, they fired Olivia Newsy. Last month, the magazine enlisted the law firm Davis Wright Tremaine to review Olivia Newsy's work during the twenty twenty four campaign. They reached the same conclusion as the magazine's initial internal review of her published work, finding no inaccuracies nor evidence of bias. Nevertheless, nevertheless, the magazine and Newsy agreed that the best course forward is to part ways. Newsy is a uniquely talented writer, and we have been proud to publish her work over her nearly eight years as our Washington correspondent. We wish her the best. No inaccuracies, no evidence of bias, no pants. Whatever you want to say about Olivia, and whatever you do want to say, get in line behind me. I helped negotiate her new job with New York Magazine her story and the fact that her personal relationship with Robert F. Kennedy Junior went on for a year during a presidential campaign without her employers at New York Magazine knowing about it or if they did, doing anything about it, and then her ex fiance, Ryan Liz's response to that, which may have been blackmail or may have been something that went on for at least half of that time without his employers at Politico knowing about it. This actually answers the question. Know our current form of media, news media in particular, cannot survive because it is run by idiots, idiots who do not understand that it could survive if it did one thing, if it rehired all the copy editors and producers it has laid off, fire reporters, fire anchors in particular, fire writers, cancel shows, cut back from five primetime news hours to three. You know, MSNBC made more profit off of a smaller investment when we had two shows on at night, only two shows, and we kept rerunning them than they do now, and I mean a lot more. Re hire your mistake finders, so you'd find mistakes like like Olivia, which brings us to the winner the worst one of the Hall of Famers of the Worst Person segment. Rich Lowry of the National Review Online, I offer you his detailed, heavily promoted online analysis of the WNBA Basketball Championship series. You ready, I'm going to read this in full? Have you got forty seconds? As I've mentioned before, I've acquired an interest in the WNBA after climbing aboard the Caitlin Clark bandwagon. So I did something I never would have done before and watched some of the WNBA finals last night, and man, it was bad. It was a very close to stay of Game five won by the Liberty. But the scoring is about what you'd expect to see from a first round game in the ACC tournament, with the number eleven and fourteen seeds futilely battling it out. That's that's it. Let me check on the back here? Is there more? Is that? All? Lowry? Oury? Okay? Now you can like the WNBA or hate the WNBA, and let me just say it correctly once WNBA. But that's the whole feast. They pay this man to do this. That's his entire analysis. It was bad. Gee, thanks Rich, Thanks for your insight. It was bad. You got anything else on this? No, it was bad. Plus anytime Rich Lowry writes about women, this requires one to go back and reread the worst political column ever written Rich Lowry, October three, two thousand and eight, after the Vice presidentidential debate, also writing for the National Review. Because what in sixteen years you think he's going to get a real job after writing crap like this quote. A very wise TV executive once told me that the key to TV is projecting through the screen. Hits one of the keys to the success of Sayah Bill O'Reilly, who comes through the screen, comes through the screen and grabs you by the throat. Sarah. Palin too projects through the screen like crazy. I'm sure I'm not the only male in America who when Palin dropped her first wink, sat up a little straighter on the couch and said, Hey, I think she just winked at me. And her smile by the end, when she clearly knew she was doing well, it was so sparkling it was almost mesmerizing. It sent a little starbushs through the screen and ricocheting around the living rooms of America. This is a quality that can't be learned. It's either some thing you have her you don't, and men, she's got it. I mean, the masturbatory quality of that from Rich Lowry is one thing. I don't know if I've ever mentioned that, the masturbatory quality. I don't think I've ever mentioned that more than one or two thousand times. But in focusing on the Bobby Kennedy Junior Mark Robinson quality to the story. We lose sight of the utter lack of political insight and foresight that is hiding right there in plain sight. His comp for Sarah Palin was Bill O'Reilly. It is presumed the very wise TV executive he quotes is Roger Ales, who's now broadcasting live from Hell. And the point of the piece is how much better Palin did that her opponent in the two thousand and eight vice presidential debate? What was his name again? Oh yeah, Joe Biden. Whatever happened at Joe Biden? I mean, besides him saving democracy at least once rich maybe if the WNBA players stared into my living room and sent little starbursts through the screen ricocheting into my pants lowry two days why by.
Speaker 2: Sending this is sports Center Wait, check that not anymore. This is Countdown with Keith.
Speaker 1: Ulberman and from the sports Ball Central Center newsdesk tonight, dateline, Los Angeles and New York. We are on the eve of the World Series. Are on the eve of the eve of the eve of the World Series. Because if nothing else, one hundred and fifty four seasons of professional baseball has proved that the more time you give the players off during the Championships in October and November, and however, the hell late they hope to play this, the better the games are. I'm being facetious. Hitters and particularly bullpen pitchers get stale fast, so fast you wouldn't believe it, especially in the postseason, especially in October on the East Coast. By the time they play game one Friday night here, the New York Yankees will have been off for five days and the Los Angeles Dodgers off for four. The Dodgers and the Yankees used to face each other all the time in the World Series, six times in fact, in the ten years ending in nineteen fifty six, eleven times over forty years, almost two more times in that forty year span, but this is the first one since nineteen eighty one, when the Yankees blew a lead of two games to none, just as the Dodgers had blown a two games to none lead in nineteen seventy eight. Nineteen eighty one was the year Yankee owner George Steinbrenner ordered his public relations director IRV k Is, a friend of mine, to read a public apology for how the Yankees had done that year, and IRV read it and then got out of New York as fast as he could after that was also when the Yankees benched Reggie Jackson in the middle of the World Series, and when Steinbrenner showed up at Dodger Stadium, one hand bandaged and the other cut up with a fat lip, claiming that two Dodger fans had accosted him in a hotel elevator and he'd had to clock both of them, and almost nobody believed him forty three years later, and there's no evidence that it didn't happen that way. All the cynics me included, who believe the somebody's Husboden theory or the George punched a wall theory or the George had a fight with his players theory have never been supported by any evidence whatsoever. The George punched a wall theory also could never explain the fat lip. Then again, the two alleged Dodger fans never came forward either, and there were lots of outlets willing to pay them to unless George didn't just fight them, but he killed them anyway. Lots of amazing things have happened in Yankee Dodger World Series. Don Larson's perfect game for the Yankees in nineteen fifty six. The Mickey Owen dropped third strike in nineteen forty one, which should probably now be reclassified as the Hugh Casey spitball broke so sharply nobody could stop it missed third strike in nineteen forty one. There were Reggie Jackson's three homers in Game six in nineteen seventy seven, and Sandy Kofax's fifteen strikeouts in Game one in nineteen sixty three. But here are my favorite stats that you can actually use and pressure friends with them. The first is from nineteen fifty five. Today we rightly bellyate that starting pitching is crap, and the whole premise of baseball, the stout hearted whirler stopping good hitting, especially in the World Series, that is as forgotten and as lost as alchemy. In the nineteen fifty five World Series, however, the first one the Dodgers ever won, after five straight losses to the Yankees, there were seven games, and the starting pitching was so bad on both teams that the Yankees and the Dodgers in those seven games used eleven different starting pitchers between them. The Dodgers in a seven game World Series used six different starting pitchers. They did not call them bullpen games then, but that's what they were. Moreover six times in that World Series the starting pitcher did not record an out in the fifth inning, the second stat you can use this. The famous Yankees and Dodgers are actually two of the most disastrously underperforming franchises in sports. If you consider the year two thousand as the last year of the twentieth cente the Yankees have won won World Series in this century. Even if you don't, they've won one World Series since two thousand. The Dodgers have won one World Series in a full season since nineteen sixty five. Yeah, they won in nineteen eighty one when the season was only one hundred and ten games long because of the player strike. They won in nineteen eighty eight, which was the legit year. Then they didn't win again until twenty twenty, the COVID year. They're all championships, but those two are championships with asterisks. Then again, all baseball championships have asterisks now because they've so screwed up the point, which was that the long regular season and the quick playoffs were designed to establish which team was best that year. You played, and you played, and you played from spring through summer into fall, and you beat everybody in your league, and then you face the team that had played and beaten everybody in their league, and the result was a series that was always novel and fresh and exciting, and faced pitchers against hitters they'd never seen before. The number is somewhat conjectural, but it is believed that about sixty million people watched Game seven of the nineteen eighty six World Series on television. If sixty million people watch the entirety of this World Series on television, if that's the total audience for seven games, they will hold two parades afterwards, one for the winning team and one for all the TV and advertising executives. And by the way, if they get sixty million total audience on TV, the ad executives and the TV executives will get drunker than the winning players do. I don't know what's going to happen in this World Series. I loved working in Los Angeles. I loved going to Dodger Stadium. I loved working in New York. I grew up in the Yankee Stadia and I covered Dodger Yankees World Series when I was eighteen and nineteen years old, and I own Reggie Jackson's third home run ball, and I own two baseballs pitched in Don Larson's Perfect Game by Don Larson. But baseball has gradually pissed away my love of it. The new rules are stupid. This obsession with the forty seventy club or the one point six two hundred and twenty nine b club, it's ridiculous. The game has been dumbed down. The regular season is virtually as meaningless as basketball, and this utterly tedious season goes on forever, and then the teams that do best in it, they don't do very well in the postseason. We're just amazed that the two best teams on paper are actually in the World Series. And how did they get there? They beat the wild card teams. The athletes have never been better in baseball, never been better, and their ability to actually play baseball, to do what to do and when to do it other than to swing or to throw, that has never been worse. I asked a friend of mine, who covers a major League team and has done so for nearly all of his life, how many, I said, there's like two or three guys on each team that actually could play baseball without written instructions, And he said, you're exaggerating. I went, no, I think it's only two or three. He went, that's not what I meant. I think it's only one or two per team. I did not go to a game this year, and after forty years as a Yankee season ticket holder, I long ago vowed to never again pay my way into that ballpark until a paternity test is produced proving that hal Steinbrenner is actually the son of my friend George Steinbrenner. I mean, I might go if somebody invites me and pays for the ticket and covers the five dollars and eighty cent round trip on the subway. I'd have gone if the Mets had beaten the Dodgers and the Mets we're in it, or if that Steinbrenner paternity test had come back. I've done all the damage I can do here. Thank you for listening. We're now back to five episodes a week, posting nightly just after midnight Eastern. Follow me for the podcast promo videos too on TikTok, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, x, Instagram, and facetick. Once again, there is a Monday Countdown. Please send this podcast to somebody who doesn't know that they need to listen, but should. Brian Ray and John Phillips Chanel, the musical directors, have Countdown, arranged, produced, and performed most of our music. Mister Chanelle handled the orchestration and keyboards. Mister Ray was on the guitars, bass and drums. It was produced by Tko Brothers. Our satirical and pithy musical comments are by the best baseball stadium organist ever, Nance Faust. The sports music is the Olderman theme from ESPN two, written by Mitch Warren Davis courtesy of the ESPN Inc. Don't forget to listen to the Baseball World Series on ESPN Radio, where the broadcast is likely to be better than the game. Other music arranged and performed by the group No Horns Allowed. My announcer today was by coincidence, ESPN's Tony Korneiser. Everything else was pretty much my fault. Let's countdown for today, two weeks until the twenty twenty four presidential election. I think I have that right, and the three and eighty six day since convicted felon dissociative fugue j Trump's first attempted coup against the democratically elected government of the United States. Use the election, use the metal health system, use presidential immunity to keep him from doing it again while we still have a chance. The next scheduled countdown is tomorrow. Bolton says, the news requires till the next one on Keith Olderman good Morning, good afternoon, good night, and good Luck. Countdown with Keith Olderman is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.