Speaker 1: Hello, my name is Jason Concepcion and on Mesday Night and welcome back to x Ray Vision of the podcast where we dibut you to your favorite shows, movies, comics of pop culture coming to you from My Heart podcast will We'll bring you three episodes week every Tuesday, Thursday and Friday.
Speaker 2: This is News.
Speaker 3: In today's previously on news episode, we're catching up on the biggest geek news of the week, as we always do, and it is a busy week.
Speaker 2: We got this new iron.
Speaker 3: Heart, well the only iron Heart trailer that we've all been waiting for, and a new trailer for Superman. Can't wait for that looks fantastic. We'll also be talking about a new addition to the day Level cast, which we'll have Jessica Jones fans very excited.
Speaker 1: Let's get into new news. First up, the first official full length Superman trailer has been released, and folks, it's great, very very excited.
Speaker 3: I big things that immediately stand out to me that I loved. I adored the Lowis Clark chemistry.
Speaker 1: I love that trailer relationships.
Speaker 3: I know James Gunn must have been so happy when those two sat down together, because that was some seriously great stuff, and it was like, yeah, I mean super produce of Common just said like she actually cried when she watched the trailer, and it really does have that kind of impactful emotional theft. I love the Clock and Lowis stuff. I love that like Clark's like, yeah, I'll let you interview me as Superman because he sees them really as the same thing.
Speaker 2: But he doesn't realize he says that to girlfriend Lewis.
Speaker 3: But Lois Lane comes to thee she immediately locks into reporter and I love that.
Speaker 2: I thought that was really cool.
Speaker 3: We get so many big action sequences here, that big Kaiju that we know James Gum was really excited to introduce. We do get to see the engineer looking very scary and definitely very villainess, which I think is interesting. Seems like the Authority are going to be Lex's super team in this one. Definitely get more Lex here. I feel like it is channeling a more refined version of the gene Hackman Lex, where he is kind of a dandy, he is kind of eccentric. I loved it when he was wearing that kind of all black snow coat. I'm guessing because he'd been near the Fortress of Solitude. Interesting other things to note. They are claiming that there's this new character called the Hammer of Borovia that seems to be an original creation. I would be interested to see if that is the case, or if there's someone else inside the mech. Also, there's a moment that the Internet has been going crazy with, which is where we see this character Ultraman, who has all black and he's taking prisoner. There is a lot of questioning and interesting thoughts here about whether or not under that suit and under that mask is bizarro and to try and make a Superman of his own. We get to see Sean gun here as Maxwell Lord, which is like hilarious metamorphos some scary stuff. Also, we get a super prison where I think we see you know, some people are saying maybe it's Amethyst because of the purple dress. I think it's probably Star Sapphire. So I would say we're definitely gonna get to see.
Speaker 2: A lot of superheroes in this movie.
Speaker 3: We get more Guy Gardner who looks great, Hawk Girl looks great. Crypto punches the engineer in the face, which I love. We all need more shaggy dog style dogs. Randomly punching people.
Speaker 2: So I love that.
Speaker 3: And yeah, I think that this reimagined score that they have really gets you into that emotional feeling of Superman.
Speaker 1: We'll tapping into the John Williams exactly DNA, which I think is so important in nic.
Speaker 3: And this movie comes out July eleventh, Like I think this is gonna be a crazy summer for the Blockbusters because if you'd have told me, you know, a couple of years ago, oh, there's gonna be Fantastic four movie or a Superman movie, I would think Fantastic Four was going to decimate that movie because of the anticipation and waiting. But now we're both we're getting very different kind of film. Tore Fantastic Four is definitely in that retro futuristic space. It's connected to that heavier MCU law, which I think is going to be.
Speaker 2: You know, tough for some people. But after The Thunderbolts, which was.
Speaker 3: You know, a really good movie and had a lot of great responses, I do think Marvel is back on it. They're back at that peak again that people are excited about. But this movie looks really special and it's very different than anything James Gunn has done. Really so we could be looking at a big, big summer at the blockbusters. July is going to be crazy with Jurassic World, Fantastic Four, and Superman all in one month.
Speaker 1: It makes I just saw Friendship. Oh my gosh, it makes me think of it makes me think of the line's characters. Is where he goes, there's a new Marvel coming out and we got it. We gotta see it.
Speaker 2: I want to go see it, dude.
Speaker 3: I was definitely attacked by that specific there's a new Marvel coming out, we gotta go see and everyone's just like, no, I don't want to go And I'm like, that's me, sorry, guys, like that's me and Jason every day.
Speaker 1: Up next in I would say, surprising trailer drop news, surprising debut dates news. Ironheart trailer dropped this week and it came with an announcement of the show's debut date, which is June twenty fourth, which.
Speaker 4: Is next month.
Speaker 1: It feels like this snuck up on us.
Speaker 3: There's literally in there was like a teaser and that was it.
Speaker 1: But like almost no promo.
Speaker 2: I will say this, the power of the Internet.
Speaker 3: I do feel like influenced this because there's been a very vocal contingent of really great blood. Commenters being like, Hey, where is the trailer for this?
Speaker 5: Hey?
Speaker 2: Are we getting any hype for this show?
Speaker 3: Hey?
Speaker 2: The good Thing is a lot of us had assumed it.
Speaker 3: Was gonna be another The trailer's great, very kind of scary, definitely a different.
Speaker 2: Tone of reimagining of the hood.
Speaker 3: We're obviously gonna see that kind of like classic, almost like a gangster movie quandary of like is it worth doing bad things to help your community? That seems like where we're going. It also seems like we're gonna get to see re remaking her own kind of final suit, maybe more akin to what we've seen in the comics.
Speaker 2: Very spooky.
Speaker 3: There's even like a kind of saw trap element with the elevator in this. I thought it looked really interesting, really good. I love Dominique Thorn and a good Thing and.
Speaker 2: Making his ta you pre evil magic powers.
Speaker 3: I think he's gonna get the magic powers kind of maybe power broker style, we shall see, or he's maybe like a sleight of hand magician. I was kind of giving that vibee exactly, And David Blaine's already like spooky, so I think it's like it would fit.
Speaker 2: But something else that is good about this.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be a three episode premiere drop, which is nice because a lot of people were worried it was going to be a full season drop like they did with Echo or often then you don't get the same promotional drive, you don't get the same interviews, you don't get the same kind.
Speaker 2: Of focus on the story and in the conversation. So I'm excited for that. I also have to say a rare, you know, like a classic.
Speaker 3: This is a very drill tweet, like you don't have to give it to them, right, but but I do have to give it to them here. I hate to give it to them. I really liked the promotional all out for this. Once it started where you had Wilson, you had Vincent Donofrio and Charlie Cox watching it and getting really excited. You had Ryan Coogler, who is the producer on this show, talking about Reread, talking about her impact. I felt like, once you had those creatives and colleagues of Dominique and the show in that space promoting it, I thought that was a really cool way of showcasing the trailer and kind of getting people's eyes on it.
Speaker 2: I'm hoping this is going to be a sleeper hit and I'm very excited.
Speaker 1: Up next in great news, Kristin Ritter to dust off the Jessica Jones leather jacket for Darrinel.
Speaker 6: Jason.
Speaker 1: Finally the Defenders are coming. We've got to one of two six of the defenders. Wow, I mean, bring Luke back for sure, Bring.
Speaker 3: Luke back, dep and I think you know what, I've seen him. He's out here and Sigourney Weaver brings yes, please, that would be incredible also as well. I you know he's been asking for another chance. Danny rand like, I think let's let him let him one, let him train for longer than two weeks.
Speaker 2: Two yes, let him then hand it off to a different iron fist. It is a manager.
Speaker 1: We've said this, and this has been my take. Make make that part of the conversation. Actually he is he worthy of this? What does he have to live up to?
Speaker 2: Is it? Should it be him?
Speaker 1: Should it be him? Have him struggle with that, Put that on the screen. That would make for great storytelling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly opinion.
Speaker 3: And this was released, This news released at Disney's upfronts. They had Kristin Ritta there. She said, it's so great to be back, returning to Jessica after three seasons and the Defenders and now joining the MCU proper, which I found to be a very interesting specification seeing as those shows were technically originally meant to.
Speaker 2: Be part of the MCU.
Speaker 3: As she said, I'm so excited to bring back this iconic character, and without giving too much away, there is much more in store for Jessica Jones.
Speaker 2: This is going to be an incredible season.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 3: The PI nature of Jessica Jones is great. I would also love to see that kind.
Speaker 1: Of her working at the firm.
Speaker 2: Get her working at the firm also as well.
Speaker 3: I want to see that MCEU recalibration of like, what does a PI edgy, dark, violent, shut character like Jessica, How does she fit into the MCU. I think that's gonna be really fun. Obviously, we know she will not be able to say no to Matt. That's just the rules of all of these shows. So yeah, I know, here we go again, but yeah, fun times. Not fully surprised, But let's see if we keep hearing more about this, and if so, let's make sure that we're also bringing back Jessica Henwick as Colleen Wing. I would love to see some Daughters of a Dragon stuff bring back Misty too, fuck it. And if not, then let's have Jessica come back and let her be I am fisted, because that's what they always should have done. It's right there for you guys, it's ready.
Speaker 1: And then finally HBO has read or I should say, let's put it this way, Discovery Discovery, Warner Brothers, Discovery has rebranded HBO as HBO again, and it's in other words, what was Max is now HBO Max.
Speaker 3: I guess what we were all already already calling it HBO Max.
Speaker 2: So for us it is not really a big deal.
Speaker 3: Yes, for everybody really, for everybody really, but I will say it is if you are an industry watcher and you like to you've been. You know, we talk about David Zaslav, we talk about what's going on with Warner Brothers, and we.
Speaker 1: Must let's give him his flowers for Sinners and for Minecraft, you know, because they're making money.
Speaker 2: They're making money.
Speaker 3: And I would say letting Michael de Luca and Pam Abdy do their thing is clearly working in the movie range. Obviously, Superman if that's a billion dollar movie. It's gonna be looking good. But the change back to HBO, the recognition of the HBO brand, that probably tells you how they're feeling right now at Warner Brothers. They want to be prestigious again. The Discovery aspect is not necessarily working on in the same way. They kind of just pump out reality TV content that Zazlav is known for. I think they want to bring it back to the classic idea of HBO. This is very silly, but I will say I did love the way that it.
Speaker 2: Was rolled out on all the Max Social stuff. I think that.
Speaker 3: Even though they were obviously very self referential, very meta, and it also did feel kind of pointed, like I think that everyone who put those together enjoyed putting them together, the one with the from Euphoria and it was like, bitch, you better.
Speaker 2: Be kidding, like you bet.
Speaker 1: That certainly supports the This certainly supports the notion that there's going to be a sale exactly WBD properties over time, that they're maybe going to build around HBO Max keep that and spin off Discovery or else.
Speaker 2: If this is as the theories have long been.
Speaker 3: Going, I think this should be twenty twenty five should be the year when zaz Lab has owned Warner Brothers long enough that he could sell it or begin the conversations with the sale, so that could also.
Speaker 2: Be part of it.
Speaker 3: Also, this could just be Shenanigan's because do you know how much money they must have spent rebranding to max millions of dollars and now they're going to spend millions of doll.
Speaker 2: They just.
Speaker 3: Is not hard but yeah, hilarious, silly, and everyone in the discord was loving those memes, so all good.
Speaker 1: Up next after the ad break, stay tuned for our exclusive vineyary with the show Nurners and cast of Apple TV's Murder Bar.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and now our exclusive interview with showrunners Paul and Chris Whites of Apple TV Plus's Murder Bot. And we've also got a little chat with some of the cast Sabrina Wu and Tatiana Jones.
Speaker 4: Hellok, you so much? How's it gone?
Speaker 5: Thanks?
Speaker 4: Are you?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Good?
Speaker 3: Thank you? I really loved the show, so I appreciate you guys taking time talk to me today. Thank you.
Speaker 7: We appreciate you're taking time to watch it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I thought it was just the delightful so I was. I love the books, so I was primed for a success, but I did really think the cast and the kind of world you created is something very special.
Speaker 8: Thank you.
Speaker 6: Yes.
Speaker 3: Something that kind of immediately spoke to me about it is that we don't often get a lot of kind of science fiction that is in the more optimistic space. We often are focused on the wars or the dystopias or the futures that have gone wrong. So could you talk a little bit about building a world, and especially obviously with the crew and the world therefrom that looks at science fiction in a bit of a different way.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I don't think that Martha's World sort of discounts all those things that are part of dystopian universes in other movies and books. But it's kind of also dealing with the fact that, you know, one thinks of it as the human spirit, but really spirit of personality is like a cockroach is going to keep existing no matter what radioactive forces of crap are it's exposed to. And so to me, like, she's an amazing she's amazing at writing characters, full bodied characters, sort of primarily with murder Bot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and what was it like to then try and bring that character to the screen because that is a very complex kind of conflict that you have to bring because obviously the books are from Mortibot's perspective, and also we know that Motibo is hacked, but the crew don't, but they would probably love to know that, you know, early on. That's kind of more what they would envision. So could you talk a little bit about balancing that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's really tricky to adapt to a first person narrated book, especially one that's with a character as complex as this one, and we genuinely mean that it's not just a great science fiction character, but kind of a great literary character. We had some experience doing it when we adapted About a Boy Nick Hornsby's book, and the trick is is how to time the voiceover and how to deploy the voiceover the sort of the inner monologue without it being too much or too little, without over explaining, without resorting to it for for plot purposes. So finding that balance is really tricky, and that takes a lot of time with in this case with Alexander, in terms of getting getting that right, getting the you know, the humor of the book, but also adding something to it as well.
Speaker 9: And also kind of keeping the tension going throughout having murder about not become cuddly ever, because there's something adorable about, you know, a character who is thinking horrible things of itself and of everybody around them on some level. But Alexander was really helpful in terms of that, in terms of really playing not showing its cards. I think that Alexander's confidence in terms of no, I'm going to be able to what one felt with Alexander is okay, this is still going to be interesting even if we're not showing too much and the other also having the other actors is so important and treating those other characters as if they're real people. Meaning that the book is very spare and implies a lot, It doesn't say much about why Garrathin is the way that Grathin is. Why Garrathin is so suspicious of murder Bot so kind of and instead of being like, oh, Gratham's a jerk, it's no. Gratham loves these people, has had things fall apart, has had horrible things happen in his life, and that's why he's being so so suspicious of murder Bot. And Gratham knows how crappy corporate culture is whereas these people don't like they've been living outside of the system and they think that love will prevail. But yeah, it's it's having fun with it without thinking that you're smarter than the author.
Speaker 3: Well, you and you mentioned kind of building that crew around Alex and what was it like putting that together, because I do think, you know, you talked about like the spirit of personality, like this is a crew that has so many different voices and so many different kind of lived experiences and then also adds so much to the story because I think something that really kind of sings about this work is the way you represent what relationships might look like in the future and how to connect what's going on now and the kind of younger generation the way they're looking at relationships and how that could become the norm. So could you talk a little bit about building the crew and kind of making sure you were getting that balance of personalities.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Well, it's very hard to go about in a systematic way. I think that we sort of wanted to take in what was being shown to us in terms of auditions and in terms of what we could see of other people's work, and it was just about what felt right in combination. You know, the books and the show don't really rely much on sort of trumped up conflict between characters. You know, they do have difficulties with each other, and there are kind of ins and outs of relationships, but they're mostly people who care about one another, and that's kind of interesting in and of itself. So then assembling a cast is kind of figuring out just the vibe that people are going to have with one another.
Speaker 9: Weirdly, I was thinking about the Peanuts characters a lot like Peanuts I love, and how like without doing much you immediately know like no line of linuses could be a line of Lucy's, and pig Pen is completely different from Franklin, from Snoopy, et cetera.
Speaker 7: Yeah, there's even like a shot of their dancing together.
Speaker 10: Oh yeah, and each of them has like it's like a Peanuts to take this way too far, Like to me, like murder Baugh was a combination of Charlie Brown and Snoopy because like Snoopy can do superhuman things and Charlie Brown is subject to depression.
Speaker 7: But yeah, Weirdly, there's also you know Winnie the Pooh as well, Like the way that those characters are are distinguished from from one another very.
Speaker 3: Ee or he can have very eloficial. I love the Snoopy Charlie Brown combo because I definitely, you know, I think about the The Great Pumpkin and an episode could very much be the crews trying to do something. They're going on a mission, and Murdible is absolutely like flying a plane around in his brain.
Speaker 4: Just like paying attention.
Speaker 3: I can definitely what was it like to then kind of get to the point where you're making the show and start to really see like, oh, this is right, Like this is a crew that stands there with those kind of star trek crews with that you want to know more and it feels like you got it's gelling.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Some some of it is the is the actors and trusting giving them space to to create the characters and trusting that, like they all ended up very happily, really liking each other, Like everybody who played one of the Prozocs crew really cared about each other. They're all really different from each other, which is great because that's a big question, is like can people really care about each other while being extremely dissimilar. And they did create kind of a little a little group. Which, so what you hope too is that, like perceptions you're making about people when you meet them, when you talk with them, can you can use those in a show or a movie. But for me, there was never a moment when it was like, oh, this is right. It was just a moment of like, Okay, don't have to worry about that.
Speaker 4: Just one less thing to be stressed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when it comes to the kind of version of the future that you guys bring into it, obviously a key point of the books as well is this notion of how much Murder bought loves TV, like loves spinge watching entertainment. I feel like that is a really unique aspect of this show. I feel like we do not get a lot of science fiction shows where people just decide to still watch TV or where TV.
Speaker 4: Is a comfort to them. So could you talk about.
Speaker 3: Kind of bringing in that matter aspect obviously, like having to bring to life the shows that Sect Unit loves and stuff, and how you balance that aspect of it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Well, in terms of coming up with Sanctuary Moon, we could use it as a repository for all of our worst instincts a storytellers in some ways, you know, like any cliche or like goofy bit of dialogue would go there. But that doesn't to say that we think it's bad. There's actually something really satisfying about kind of pulpy television and entertainment, and in some ways on one of the things that Martha is doing is kind of conducting a case for the defense for guilty pleasures. Right, Like, it's not I mean, you know, I'm a parent, and like I'm supposed to hate everything on Instagram and TikTok and screen time and all that stuff, but I also understand that the appeal of escapism as well. Yeah, you know, I think in a larger sense our show, that the show outside of the show is aimed to be entertaining and heartfelt and fun, as well as having things to say about you know, AI and all these kind of dystopian tendons season our culture right now, that it's okay to for things to be fun and for colors to be bright, and to enjoy watching things as an escape.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's one of the things that is gonna you know, it's in the books obviously, but I think for people who haven't interacted with Murder but before on any level, I think it's going to be one of the things that makes that what feel so human, you know it is, It's the big relatable thing is like, this is someone who chooses with the extra time that they have, the freedom they have that like, I just need to escape the reality I'm in, So let me sit here and just watch other people, you know, living these adventures.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Alex really loved the idea that murder Butt may have big ideas about going off and having adventures in space, but really, when it comes down to it, it just wants to watch TV.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, what do you do if you can if you now can make choices, Well, you might imagine that you're going to go be a hero somewhere, but you're probably going to want to tune into your favorite show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it's I think that there is evam Like you were saying, there's a lot of relevancy in this. But I do think that feeling of like what do you do when things are really scary and you're offered up a question of like what do you do next? There's a lot of us are just like okay, well, you know, for me, I'm like, let me put on murder She wrote, first, just work out regulate my nervous system.
Speaker 9: It's weirdly saying that David Lynch is saying that David Lynch got Actually like, because I'm looking at you know, if you pluck out like ten seconds of a lot of David Lynch movies, you could put it into a telenovela.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, absolutely. And speaking of you know that kind of relevancy, obviously, we are living in an age and I'm sure it would like, you know, a year ago, when you're you're shooting this, it's still a conversation. But now we're having that conversation more than ever about AI and robots and the way that we treat them and stuff.
Speaker 8: And I think murder Bot.
Speaker 3: Is a very nuanced representation of that because I love that it doesn't come out and say, hey, this is a good way for things to be completely It's very much in that gray space. And what I really love is more about how we treat robots, or how we treat sentient life, or how we treat people who are like othered and seen as less in humans. So could you kind of talk a little bit about that and how it feels now the show's coming out For it to be kind of more of a relevant talking point than most people who've probably ever made a sci fi have kind of not caught up at that point.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well, I mean I think we're looking at the possibility of AGI in the next couple of years, so it actually is really timely. I read this article by Ted Chang about I think it was a podcast interview. Actually he was less worried about what AI was going to do to us than what we're going to do to AI in terms of how we treat, you know, other sentient creatures, and.
Speaker 9: I also talk also it's about how we're going to shoot other humans as well, because there are all sorts of characteristics that make people want to dh minize other humans and make them look at not that them is less than people. So I think sort of like shifting over the paradigm because okay, so you know, we're animals, and I think that we still have one foot in wanting to be the alpha, for instance, in a pack, which is in larger social constructs really destructive. I think that it's an open question not only like sort of how much humanity does artificial intelligence have or what we think of as humanity, which to me, the great thing about This is like a sense of humor is a core facet of personhood and that doesn't have to do with being human or being artificial intelligence doesn't have to do with being neurotypical or neuroatypical or any other number of other things. It has to do with something that's more irreducible. But I think that these are happening at the same time. It's really weird because it is like, you know, the tie, It kind of comes in and goes out. But like the questions about artificial intelligence and how to grapple with it are coming at the same exact time as questions about about diversity, and uh, we're going to be able to encompass all sorts of different people and deal with them as as as fully as fully rendered people in our heads, no matter where you're coming from.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you guys so much. I could talk about the show all day. Congrats on the show, Thank.
Speaker 4: You, and have a lovely day.
Speaker 7: Thanks, thanks, thank you, thank you so much.
Speaker 5: Thanks a great day.
Speaker 8: Thanks Hi Rosie.
Speaker 3: How you guys do? Yeah, thank you so much for taking the time to talk to me today. I just absolutely loved the show. I thought it was wonderful, something that I feel like we don't often see is kind of comedy in science fiction and science fiction that is a little bit more optimistic or hopeful. It's often very dystopian. Sabrina, what was it like for you going into the show, kind of getting ready for a sort of sci fi space that we haven't really seen before, preparing for a new version of sci fi.
Speaker 11: Yeah, so, I mean I come from a comedy background, so in some ways I was like, I can't believe this gets to happen. It's a really I was like begging agents. I was like please, because I love like anime and genre stuff. I was like, if I get to do something where I get to shoot.
Speaker 4: A gun, that would be awesome. So I was very excited.
Speaker 11: But it was definitely an adjustment to be honest set where like you know where it's like sometimes it's very dramatic, sometimes it's funny, And I used to only gauge how well I was doing off of how funny I was, And sometimes you know, when you're sci fi show like it really for it's like it's an acting challenge, Like there is a guy holding a poll with a tennis ball and you're supposed to act like that is like a giant twenty foot like more monster and not laugh and not make a joke about it, And that was that was tough, or or even just like the earnestness of our characters.
Speaker 4: Sometimes I was like I was having like I was like, am I cringe?
Speaker 11: And then I'd be like, but I'm supposed to be cringe and that's the whole point, and I'm supposed to be so vulnerable. And I mean it was all that kind of tensions that we got to play. But yeah, I mean it was so fine and a really great challenge.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it was fun watching you meld those characters.
Speaker 6: I mean, I don't You'll have to say this, but I don't think Pinley is that far off from you.
Speaker 8: Think you share many same characteristics.
Speaker 4: That's completely fall.
Speaker 3: Don't blow up my spot.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I take it all back. I took it off back.
Speaker 4: What was tato?
Speaker 3: What was it like for you to kind of have that find that balance between the drummer and the comedy of the show.
Speaker 6: I I so, I have to admit, I mean I've told Sad this before, but I was a fan of Sabs beforehand. So when I found out that this was going to dance, that line of drama and comedy, this sort of sci fi thriller comedic new thing that we've created.
Speaker 8: And that I was going to get to do that with sab I was just like, just don't mess it up, Just don't mess it up.
Speaker 6: And I just had so much fun doing that. And then when I got to do it on the day, I was like, oh, yeah, I.
Speaker 11: Love working with Tatya and like really just like such a seasoned, amazing actor who like like made some of like the hardest, like you know, like because there's a lot of vulnerability in love between us, and I just feel like Tatia I knew, we just really knew what she was doing and like created like just helped create like a sense of like intimacy.
Speaker 4: I don't know if I would have been able to do by myself.
Speaker 3: I love it. I love that. And also I was gonna say, the general vibe of like a romance that we see in a science fiction like you know, Star Wars or something is like very tropey and the same in every version. The version we yet to see of love and romance here is completely different. So could you also talk a little bit about kind of exploring that and envisioning a different version of romance for the future. Sabrina'll start with you again.
Speaker 4: Oh sure, sure.
Speaker 11: I mean there's some of the classic in it where it's just like you know, like I like Pinley feels really protective of Aurana, like you know, our life is on the line. But yeah, there are parts of it that you're like, oh, I didn't expect that, just like there's like marital like there's a little bit of like I sort of sometimes I felt like, oh, we're like we have old married people problems and we love each other, but we can't seem to totally be on the same page about like what we want we're looking for us I think just in general, like our story where we're kind of trying to expand our relationship is really a specific to the show. And like, as somebody who has been in like poly setups, I was like, oh yeah, I felt this big time, you know, like I felt just like so real and true to some of the dynamics you know that happen in our current you know Earth setup and it's cool to see it in space.
Speaker 6: I guess, yeah, that's how I felt that it was.
Speaker 8: I felt like we got to.
Speaker 6: Do this thing that was supposed to be in the future, but that it was actually more of love like.
Speaker 8: We know it today, where there is communication.
Speaker 6: I hope love in the future has I don't know, maybe more communication if I wish anything for Pinley and Errata.
Speaker 8: I'm watching them and I'm going.
Speaker 6: Maybe you should communicate better. Maybe, But I don't know about I don't know about the future. I felt like it was a really beautiful example of how we navigate love today and how people are willing to do that today, and that it's not something that's coming, it's something that's here now, and that's what we're working on making better for the future.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love that. I feel like a lot of the show is about kind of making things beat for the future, especially in the times of the crew. And obviously it feels very relevant right now to be considering how we treat kind of robots and AI and technology. So how does it feel to be talking about a show that really seems to be at the forefront of that conversation when it probably when you were making the show, we did not know we would be in a kind of AI taking over the world kind of being the main part of the conversation as it is. Now, what was it like to kind of explore that aspect of kind of sentient life? And how do we treat a robot that is meant to, you know, help us, or in this case is essentially like an indentured servant. What was that kind of did How does it feel now that everything is so relevant to the real world as well?
Speaker 8: Tatiana, I don't think. I don't think there's any difference.
Speaker 6: This is my own opinion, but I don't think that there's any difference, and I'm definitely erring on the side of being a better human being. So why not treat everything outside of myself, including myself, with a form of respect. I think history has proven to us that the opposite does not work and is.
Speaker 8: Not sustainable in any way, shape or form.
Speaker 6: And so the way that this show particularly examines that in the sort of human and then humanish robotish dynamic, I think really serves to highlight asking ourselves those questions.
Speaker 8: How am I treating myself?
Speaker 6: How am I treating the beings, be them sentient or non sentient outside of myself?
Speaker 8: How can I work on that a little bit better? I know Saba.
Speaker 6: Saba is always teasing me because I two am one who will go on chat GPT and talk to it like a person.
Speaker 8: But that could just be me and the way that I use the internet.
Speaker 11: But yeah, I'm very afraid of it. I'm like, stay from chat GPT. Obviously it would be very nice to chat GBT. But like, but I think actually one of the I felt like when we filmed it a year ago, I was already like, oh, man, AI is a really big conversation, and like, one thing I like about the show is I don't think it takes this stance that like, oh, you know, AI is just like a like it's a good thing objectively, Like I think like I think the show actually correctly points out that, like we need to be really wary of like companies and like what their motives are. And I think like the show is pushing forward. If there's any messaging the show is really pushing forward, it's that like we need to have a lot of compassion for people and anything you know that might even resemble people or or things that were like people that you know, society has deemed non people, which I think is like really really relevant to you know today, And I was like, oh, thank god, because I was not.
Speaker 4: Ready to take a pro AI stance personally, I make I.
Speaker 3: Make comic books too, So yes, no, it's a it's a very complex space, and I'm definitely on the deafitly on the fence about it too. But in the same way, even though I'm not a cha GTP user, if i see one of those little like delivery robots that drive around LA delivering people food, I'm always like, oh, my friend, like my cute, my cute guy just on his way to work.
Speaker 8: I do that too.
Speaker 4: I literally was like worried that my room but was working too hard.
Speaker 3: I was like, you need to change, my friend, please rest. We just love little guys.
Speaker 8: Just a little guy like and I.
Speaker 4: Kind of love I love my little guys and identifies a little guy.
Speaker 3: Identify as a little guy.
Speaker 4: I felt it. I was like, I felt that.
Speaker 3: You could send the little guy and finger on me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a little guy. That's a little guy, right.
Speaker 3: I do love that in this version of our kind of futurist society, the little guy that we are kind of falling for is not like a cute you know, your average little guy kind of robot way or like I love this, it's like a scary kind of corporate being that's broken out from that and is then in this kind of really fun to watch battle with itself of like how much can I trust these humans to let them know that I'm actually freer than I am? So what was the kind of journey like of getting to know, you know, sec unit and getting to kind of balance that we just want to like work with them, you see, such a good guy and kind of that duality of what Alex has to do by kind of keeping part of him to himself. That's the hones, sorry, seeing as we were a little guying so hard.
Speaker 6: Always we're holding space for a little guy.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 8: That's that really is shown throughout the series. I think, and it came it's in the writing.
Speaker 6: What Alex brought to this character is really really, really special, and so we were able to organically explore these things that that came out that were essentially like what is our reaction to something like this and to having somebody like Alex, who is so talented, so kind, so lovely, such a great leader. To have somebody like that embody this character, it really I don't know, it was really like no acting required because then I have to ask myself all of these questions in myself and then run that through Arata's you know, vessel and all of that stuff. So it was it was a real joy to have to do both, to have to discover for Arata and then have Arata highlight certain things for Tatiana that I got to go, oh, yeah, I need to think about that. I'm not quite sure about that, or maybe I need to go away. And so I hope that when people watch it they will have that same response, that they will ask themselves those same questions and be interested in that same way and go, oh I thought I knew how I felt, but maybe I don't, and like, oh, I'm okay with it if it's this way, but not if it's that way, and why is that? And yeah, I think the show does a beautiful job of sparking those questions.
Speaker 3: And you mentioned Sabrina that you love anime, you love genre, So was there anything that when you got this job you immediately went back and watched and were like, these are the kind of sci fi stories I love. Like, did you go back and watch Cowboy Bebop?
Speaker 12: And you were like, oh, I need to have a rag tag crew of cool space people or was there any kind of influences that you look to as you kind of began to explore the show.
Speaker 4: I rewatched Silo.
Speaker 11: I mean, I watched some of the Apple TV Plus shows just to be like, you know, because we were going to do this Apple TV Plus show.
Speaker 4: But honestly, and.
Speaker 11: I'm sorry, I already talked about it, but I really did rewatch them with Buffy like to think about the show, because I think there are some similar qualities.
Speaker 4: It's like an ensemblesh show, like.
Speaker 11: And like you know, like there is a lot of action, but at the core, it's like it's just like, I don't know, like I think our show also sits on a nice edge of like sometimes really heavy drama and then sometimes like it's like pretty wacky and fun.
Speaker 4: And so yeah, I returned to.
Speaker 11: That, and I yeah, I mean it's a classic. Unfortunately, my anime watched it. I watched like literally like Naruto, and I just I can't proudly watch that show.
Speaker 8: You know what, People they love Naruto.
Speaker 3: It's got thousand episodes.
Speaker 4: It there's a reason it's so popular.
Speaker 8: I know, it's been going.
Speaker 4: For a long time.
Speaker 3: No, no Ruto runs in the show that I saw but maybe for season two. Everyone's right with the out spot, Tatsiana, how about you with that? Any kind of did you do any sci fi deep dives to to get ready for the show.
Speaker 8: We were set up for success. We had seven books to go from.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say math and well, oh he's a legend.
Speaker 6: If you haven't at him, go and read those two. But I was enthralled when I read the books. And I'm not a side. I don't gravitate to sci fi when I'm picking up a book or doing anything like that, but having to read it for work, I'm so glad. I'm so glad because now my opinion has changed, and now my horizons have broadened, and now I consider those sorts of things. But Martha's a very very special talent, and to read those books, everything is intact in those books, and I think Chris and Paul did a beautiful job of really creating something new but staying true to the books simultaneously. Which if that's a dance and dragons, that yeah, it has to be acknowledged.
Speaker 3: But yeah, no, it's it's I love those books. I love a novella. It's and I used to just be able to flip through something and that I was kind of blown away by. It was very different how I envisioned it, but it still felt very true, true to the story. Something else I thought was really cool about the show, which is not like as much a giant part of your guys story, but it's a big part of you know, Alex's stories. I love that this is a future where they envisioned that TV is still a massive part of people's lives. I feel like in Star Wars, no one's just like binge watching TV. You know. So what was it like to be making a TV show where TV is actually like a major plot point and you're kind of constantly talk It's almost like you're talking about the romance, Like the romance is futuristic, but it's really what's happening now. And the way that TV is used in the show is very realistic to how we interact with it now. What was that element like.
Speaker 8: I just felt seen? I just felt seen. You were like I too, binge TV.
Speaker 4: That's all We're in a binging era. Yeah, we're in a numbing binging era to me.
Speaker 11: I also it made me feel so much more connected to like sometimes you watch sci fi and it just feels far away, like it's an escapist thing. And like when I'm like, wait, these people are watching TV and they're dealing with like Paully.
Speaker 4: Amory, I'm like, like.
Speaker 11: This could be me, this could be my kids, Like you know, it like feels so like it makes me feel very connected, like as a real possibility, you know, for our future.
Speaker 3: Yeah, amazing, Thank you both so much. Congrats on the show. I thought it was wonderful. Lilah, appreciate you and yeah, we both have a good great day you. Next week on x ray Vision, Tuesday, we take one final visit to Jackson Hall as we review the season two finale of The Last of Us. Wednesday, we're reacting to Mission Impossible, The Final Reckoning. Thursday, the Council gathers to discuss season two of the Last of Us.
Speaker 2: Friday, we're diving.
Speaker 3: Deep into the action set pieces of Mission Impossible, The Final Reckoning Saturday News.
Speaker 1: X ray Vision is hosted by jasonteps Young and Rosie Night and as a production of iHeart Podcast.
Speaker 3: Our executive producers are Joel Menique and Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 1: Our supervising producer is Abusafar.
Speaker 3: Our producers are Common Laurent Dean Jonathan and Fay Wack.
Speaker 1: A theme song is by Brian Vasquez, with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 3: Special thanks to Soul Rubin, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman and Heidi our discord moderator,