Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this special week trending episode of Guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's a production by Art Radio, and it's a podcast where we take a deep dive into America's share consciousness. And it's Monday morning recording this bright and early Monday. It'll get to you Monday, early afternoon.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: I know I sound like I'm about to cry. I don't know why are you. I think it's just the thing my voice is doing. I don't feel like I'm about to cry, but yeah, thing think about me, Miles. I can can burst into tears on the hat, dude.
Speaker 2: I me my eyes like naturally tear very easily. So there's times like her Majesty be like are you are you crying right now? Crying?
Speaker 1: Like no, Like it's like light sensitivity to like Tom Hanks and a leak of the round exactly.
Speaker 2: It happens like in the morning, like if I go outside like too soon after waking up, like I just go and then I'll be going like this, like wiping my eye. Isn't I'm being accused of being touched by the how beautiful the sun rises. It's it's fine, it's mid.
Speaker 1: It's mid this sunrise is mids mid This morning was actually really nice. Yeah. I walked my wife out to the car while wearing a pair of her fuzzy pink slippers.
Speaker 2: I was literally going to say robe and slip I was wearing.
Speaker 1: Uh No, I was just still wearing the shorts and T shirt that I sleep in your night shorts. My night shorts. That sounds like shortly like ship in in the middle edges or something.
Speaker 2: Night soil shorts. Yeah, and my chamberpot.
Speaker 1: I am Jack O'Brien. That is Miles Gray. And this is the episode where we tell you some of the things that happened over the weekend. Uh with us, with the world. We start off with us by telling you something that we think is underrated. I I saw Killers of the Flower Moon by the weekend, and my underrated for this week is teeth acting.
Speaker 2: Teeth acting.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Well, so I'm gonna lump in like Brando and Godfather with this, like all the ship he was doing with like putting, putting stuff in his lower jaw and stuff like those plans they say cotton balls and but Leonardo DiCaprio in this movie has I think one of the first historically accurate pair of teeth. They look like ship man. They look they are a fucking mess, and it's just from Jump Street. Like he he seems like they seem like they're painting him, that they're just on display. He looks like a totally different person. It's kind of funny because part of his character's arc is like, oh, he's like hot because the woman Molly that he's like married to and kind of conninge is like stays married to him despite her best intentions, And so you're like, he's hot, but he's not like Leonardo DiCaprio hot. He's like hot for a person who is just looks like a fucking mess.
Speaker 2: It's just drowned down by World War One.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, exactly.
Speaker 2: Like that's what you would say, is you're like, you know that World War one vet looks like a jan as Leonardo DiCaprio.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I don't know. There is just a spell that is cast by a pair of fake teeth that I feel like, is we underrated, Like we underrate how much a pair of fake teeth can do, Like it just has a hold on us, Like I feel like we gave a set of prosthetic teeth and Academy Award for Best Actor a couple of years back for Bohemian Rhapsody, And now like Leo, people are like, this is an incredible performance, and I think it is. But his teeth are really just some funky ass, gummed up, placked over gumpers, is what I wrote in my notes. I don't know gumpers like, but yeah, it makes the movie feel like there's just a lot of details in there that make the movie feel period appropriate. But that's sort of the central one where it's just like this motherfucker has heard of people brushing their teeth, right, But I've heard of.
Speaker 2: It, yes, But yeah, I mean you remember like weird teeth performance like Charlie's Theren and Monster. Yeah, I'm like, yeah, to your point, I'm like, it's something I think because, right, celebrities are so manic, and you know, every single part of their you know, visual presentation is like it's like so intentional, and they have like, you know, glam squads and shit like that. So when you see teeth that look like teeth that like on a normal like a regular person who isn't like have you know, veneers and like laser bleaching, they're like whoa dude that is? That is someone different than just a beautiful actor person.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's and it's like subtle but not you know, teeth or some like Jamie Loftus friend of the show Mount Zeitmore featured face on Mount Zitemore. He's a big thing about like when SNL people like at a certain point they like come on SNL and then when Lauren is like, okay, you you're going to have a career after this, he makes you get veneers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like you just get your new teeth. I remember when they did that to Amy Poehler. Yeah, it was like it was like it was so because I I would remembers just hurt being on Upright Citizens Brigade and like it's like a stage comedian in that show. And then like the glow up cl glow up happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, but I don't know. I feel like I've known the power of teeth since the first time as a kid someone like put a black thing over one of their teeth and I was just like, Billy, Yeah, where did you come from? What did you do with my friend?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: And those like fake Nasty Austin powers teeth at like Halloween stores, you can get and it just feels like it's one of the like small changes or like the you know, a single item that you can put on that will change your vibe completely.
Speaker 2: Even more than like a fake nose or fake anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's something about teeth that like just are like it can also just make something so much more funny too. Yeah yeah yeah, the teeth acting. Shout out to the teeth acting.
Speaker 1: Shout out to tooth actors and tooth actor authentication.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's two thousand.
Speaker 1: That's right, I went there. What what's your underrated?
Speaker 2: Oh man, I'm just dropped my fidget spinner. Let's see underrated fake presence under the tree. We are not going to be in town for Christmas. I have I have not seen my family in Japan since before the pandemic began, and I've had family members pass away during that time. And because of the nature of the immigration policy, like I was just difficult to go. And now I've the geist child, like there's just so much we got. We got the fucking go. And so since we're not going to be here, like, we definitely have a tree up because I just like, you know, for every fucking day I can milk, the Christmas vibes I'm going to so right now the tree is up just as pure vibes. But like, as a kid, I've said this before, my house was like unorthodox, so it wasn't as festive as it could be. So like as an adult, I'm like way more into that shit now, And we just basically wrapped a bunch of random shit. So the tree looked like it was like in a home where a family loved each other and the perfect gifts, but really it's like diapers. It's other shit that like we just we don't we're not opening yet. And another one is just a fucking shoe box. I'm like, yeah, he put a ball on that shit. And then now the vision it's just so weird, Like I honestly don't give a fuck about Christmas press, Like I haven't cared about Christmas gifts since I was probably like thirteen, you know what I mean, right, And now like it's just the mere visual of quote unquote gifts is just does a lot energetically that I wasn't quite rating properly, uh, because her magicy was like, dude, this ship is looking sad, like we could just even put like one box, and then we were like, fuck it, let's put more like let's wrap that, let's wrap this, let's wrap this. And it feels our tree running over with fake shit.
Speaker 1: So fake shit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he still open it.
Speaker 1: I feel like the guy's child's young enough that that would still be exciting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it would. He wouldn't there. Yeah, he'd be like what is this? This is a fucking old shoe Doc Martin's shoe box that's busted as hell. Yeah, he doesn't care. He's like paper.
Speaker 1: If we tried to pull that ship, it would be, oh, you can't do that, no appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that would be psychological warfare on kids who understand Christmas and presents and things like that. For right now, for the mere vision for the Vigi's.
Speaker 1: Perfect perfect Yeah, yeah, I don't. I don't feel I I love the idea. I had the thought earlier. Maybe if it was just like really clear what it was like it was just like that's that's clear, or.
Speaker 2: Or it's just so light, you know what I mean, Like that's the thing kids do. Like I remember as a kid being like a mall or something or a hotel lobby or the treat and like yo, get I remember being a dump my mom the funk away from there and I would like lift it to be like what's in your Ghostbusters call or whatever? And then I was like, what the fuck is this? And my mom was like for decorations bullshit?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: So yeah, I mean I think if you know, you get less.
Speaker 1: Upset for sure, if you know you know all right, my overrated staying in the holiday theme, yeah, I generally I use the daily as a as a chance, as an opportunity to vent on the Christmas cards that we're getting from friends and family. And you know, there are some great ones that I've gotten. My favorites that I've gotten are people just going through their phone and being like here, like ten good pictures of our family, or like of my kids doing things that they like, doing things that you know, tell you a little bit about them, right like bal this one's done roller blading? Yeah yeah, yeah, this is what they were for. Howlloween? You know where? So like my overrated is Christmas cards that are like a professional photo of your family, like posed in a field or like on a couch, or like in a photo studio, like.
Speaker 2: What about on a beach with the white linen shirt? And blue jeans. I mean, and there's no there's no bosteps in the sand, there's no footsteps.
Speaker 1: Like Jesus was carrying your entire family on his shoulders, wrong as fuck swollen, but he just dropped you there. Jesus can fly. Yeah know, we've done like the and we've gotten some great pictures out of like a beach sessh. But I just feel like the in seeing other people's pictures and like, you know, really evaluating them. You know, I send everybody detailed feedback on their Christmas cards.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you don't have to mark them up with red sharpie. It's a little extreme. Notes what is this out my kid's face? I'm supposed to believe that's a smile. But yeah, we're all constantly taking pictures. This is like the one justification for all the pictures that were you know, I've seen you guys out there, your phones are constantly out taking pictures of your family, like you know you use that. That's and I'm trying.
Speaker 1: I'm giving myself a pep talk here because we didn't do a professional.
Speaker 2: Photograph sash, and you can feel the judgment of the feel it. They're like, wow, so Jack's having a hard time. Huh. You see this card, it's not even in a photo studio. So the last minute, you think it's because we started off right because photography wasn't accessible to everyone like back in the day, so the photo studio was quite literally the place you had to go to get anything like that unless you had like a photography nerd and like the family or whatever. And now since it's so ubiquitous, the emphasis like it's definitely different. It's like, yeah, I'd rather see something candid than I would and like we all posed in these sweaters at this place.
Speaker 1: I don't even get to see what your kid would dress like if they could dress themselves, you know, like because so I don't know, like like obviously you know when your kids are babies, they can't dress themselves. Go nuts. But yeah, the one portrait Christmas card that I have my memory that I was, I'm like, they nailed that one. It was like a very dour Christmas portrait, like they were like outside, but they looked they had the expressions of the people from the like early advent of photography, you know how like smile and everybody, yeah, everybody who had still Yeah, you had to just freeze yeah, that was a lot of fun. But yeah, for general, if you're gonna do just like everybody smiling and matching outfits, you know, then at least give me some search histories of very family member.
Speaker 2: Allow one flare item per person, you know, like everyone, because like I remember as a kid, one of the early family photos we took, like I was so adamant about wearing this Ninja Turtles headband I had and yeah, and having my hockey stick in the photo, and it was like a big fight. My mom's like, you need to wear this sweater. I was like, this is this is this is me, Like I was like six, like putting my fucking foot down. And then so the photos like my parents and then me with this Ninja turtle head band and a hockey stick, and I'm like that at least gave people something They're like, this motherfucker likes Ninja turtles and hockey stick.
Speaker 1: That's right. Yeah, let it happen, Let the humanity shine through.
Speaker 2: Yes, Yes, a good message to us all.
Speaker 1: What what is something you think is overratedble A.
Speaker 2: Couple of things. First, it's just we talked about I think you mentioned this last week. You know, new apps, right, I'm the guy who has all the app invites that I'll never use, and every couple months, like someone I know that's like tech savvy or is in that world will be like, oh, you should check out this new app like it's cool. It's like it's like you should check it out, and I'll like look at it. But every time, like ninety nine point nine percent of my experiences with new apps follow this narrative arc, which is this Step one, Oh cool a new app. Oh it's like name any app, but less shitty. Cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Step two, I'm using it. Oh, okay, this is kind of cool. I can see myself using it. Step three, I've forgotten about it for fucking four months. I'm getting and I'm like, what the fuck are these notifications? I downloaded this shit? Yeah, And that's how I feel every time. And I just started like I was using this app called laps that everyone was like kind of sharing around. It's like the idea is interesting, like on its surface, that will get you to sign up because it's like a disposable camera. You can't whatever you take will be posted. It's not like Instagram. It's like and you won't be able to see what the result is of the picture you took until it develops quote unquote, and then you can kind of decide. So I'm like, I like that they take out like the ability to like really be like set up your shot and it's like it is what it is. But then after a while, I'm like, I just don't care. It's at yeah, like I could I could apply that philosophy to Instagram, but maybe I don't need the app to do it. So it's just like, you know, I think it's just not hitting the same at all, and like even the shiniest new apps are just you know, tweaks on ubiquitous existing apps or platforms. Yeah, So I think the other thing is I just I don't think I know what I want out of an app anymore, or we've just hit peak app. Like I have what I need to take pictures, I have what I needed to share them, I have what I need to share music or words or whatever. So that's that's got me done. The other thing, I just want to say the movie The Family Switch on Netflix with Jennifer Garner and at Helms. It's like Freaky Friday, but like a family of four all body switches and then a baby switches with a dog and what. Yeah, it's fucking it's a mess. It's an absolute, it's a it's it's bad. It's a bad. Switch with I switched with my daughter and infants, which is with like terrier dog. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Interesting, And it's.
Speaker 2: Freaky because there's like scenes where like a fucking baby is like flying around like a quadruped and I'm like, that motherfucker look like a demon. Like there's nothing cute about seeing a fucking like a fucking ten month old fly across the room, running on all fours. Yeah, there's just something very disconcerting.
Speaker 1: No, and then also characters didn't exors.
Speaker 2: They didn't give the characters anywhere to go, you know, they didn't get them anywhere to go. You know, when the The Sun was already very mature, The switch with ed Helms doesn't quite play right because it just seems like Ed Helms playing Ed Helms right right, Okay, Jennifer Garner got a little bit a better role because like she was having to be like this teen, like acting like a teen in like this business setting. But like at Helm the Sun and the thing was just too emotionally mature that it just there wasn't a contrast.
Speaker 1: Right, like what if big happened? But like the kid was really boring.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he was like really into the stock market, so he seamlessly blended into his job at an investment bank, Like like that.
Speaker 1: Would get rid of all the conflict and it would be a better movie, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Or to the point where like why did y'all switch everybody? Like you could have just done another Freaky Friday and just had it been Jennifer Garner and the daughter.
Speaker 1: But yeah, then family switch. Yeah. Apps, My favorite app innovation is like I found an app that allows me to enter like use my printer. Like that's that's all I'm looking for.
Speaker 2: App.
Speaker 1: That's it's just an app on my phone that like allows me to use that ship. Well it's called Kinko's Sick guys, sick. But yeah, I feel like apps. You know, email was used and then it got ruined by just like spam bullshit, like just being flooded and you know, phones, the text like all everything like was like had its moment where it was useful and then it got just flooded out by capitalism. But apps, I feel like just started from Jump Street. It was just like and we're gonna flood the zone with bullshit. Oh yeah, you're just gonna not be able to use the great when it was really just like ham Horn ham Horn, Yeah, what dot that's what it does.
Speaker 2: Yeah, any questions.
Speaker 1: I actually rediscovered ham Horn recently and they lost the rights to the thirty Rocket and now it's got Yeah, yeah, you don't think they lapsed.
Speaker 2: I think that deal sunset and yeah they had to move on. Uh this here's a season desist. You don't know that?
Speaker 1: Sound Yeah, soundboard like an app that does soundboard? Great, Shazam, great app. That's all I need basically, yea and yeah, like there's nothing.
Speaker 2: I think the other one might be like the apps I used to do, like our face changing photos for Oh yeah, that one's That one is probably the most fun I've had with an app recently, because there's ones I don't even show y'all on the internet that I'll just be like, I'll share it with people and then I'm like, don't post that. Don't post I don't post that.
Speaker 1: But that's a paid app, which highlights the other weird thing about apps is that I will not spend money, like, yeah, it could be two dollars in the most useful fucking app of all time. And I'm just like, no, oh yeah, yeah, it's a paid app, so fuck yourselves.
Speaker 2: Yeah with this, I just got so insanely jealous of someone posting like really good photo tweaks that I was like, bro, watch me fucking just burn this thing down, give me access to And I'm like, how much is it? Now?
Speaker 1: My version of paying money for apps makes no sense? Like the version that I end up using is like has like ads all over it, like the same weird games, right, and.
Speaker 2: It's so unusable. It actually is taking years off of your life. I actually, yeah, it might have been worth the four bucks.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I just instead just exchange like all of my credit card information to them so they can track all my purchases exactly. All right, let's take a quick break and we'll come back and talk to George Santos somebody another person who I gave all my credit card information to. Oh, and we're back.
Speaker 2: We're back.
Speaker 1: You're saying I shouldn't have done that, I shouldn't have given George Santos all my credit card.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm just saying, first of all, I'm even not sure that that guy was even George, so it just felt like a very low energy scam from the beginning zone. I have a lot more questions than answers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's George, and I just assumed it was George Santos and he was like, we need your help, dude.
Speaker 2: That sounds like one of those fucking DNC fundraising techs exactly. Oh my god. There's one that was like, you're the only person who hasn't signed up for your Joe Byron subscription supporter or package. And also this is all directed at like my mom who uses my phone. She gives my phone number out the things she doesn't want to interact with, so shut out to God on that one.
Speaker 1: But yeah, like it was just standard. He just got expelled for the same shit that he has been on the verge of getting expelled for.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, I mean he's just out. He's now just like trying to say like I'll like I'll bring other people down or whatever. It's just it's a snooze fast. He was going to be my overrated I'm just like for how bad his lies were, there's nothing There was nothing good about someone who is such a just on its face pathological liar being in there, Like who was like, my mom died in nine to eleven. Okay, maybe she didn't. I wasn't handing Montana, Okay, maybe I wasn't right. Just saying shit like that all the time. It's a funny from the pure perspective of like how did this fool get up in there like that? But then when you just you know, you square that with everything that's happening and like what we need in a functional government, I'm just please, like whatever, fucking fine, bye bye bye. And I think now he's telling people, he's like he's already making recommendations for who should replace him.
Speaker 1: So, okay, is that how it works? They they're gonna let him decide who replaces him. No, no, no, he's disgraced.
Speaker 2: No no, yeah, you know, like because it's it's gonna be like a probably a special election. But he's just like he's already been like I like this guy who's a former cop. You're like, of course you do, of course you do.
Speaker 1: Good one good news in the world. George Santos is that ze Way was like, that would be my dream interview, and he was like, ze Way, let's do it. Oh God, So if that actually happens, I mean he seems like a man of his words. It seems like somebody who you can trust when he does is going to do something.
Speaker 2: It will be that is going to icee where ze Way wants that challenge because she's like, oh, this dude does not live on the same plane of reality as the rest of us, and I'm maybe I can knock him off the railing for a second and see a bit of discomfort. But knowing him, I feel like I don't know, I don't know. I'm I amn't you know what, ze Way?
Speaker 1: Yes, give us, give us that battle, yes, please, all right, we have our Oxford word of the year mm hmm. And it is as always like cool and just evidence the people who work for dictionaries are young and connected to the world and not trying too hard. It is, of course RIZ.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yep, they're saying ever since Tom Holland uh said it in an interviews like I have no risk. He's like I have negative RIZ or something like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The search like traffic just skyrocket be like what is this RIZ exactly? And yeah, obviously it's short for charisma, as they say by shen Z and its younger counterpart, Jen Alpha. It did beat out other slaying favorites, including swifty, situationship, and prompt, which feels you know, appropriate in the world of AI chat bots and ship and you know, generative AI. That's you know, that's.
Speaker 1: Praise for a long time. I know, but it's.
Speaker 2: Because it's it's because it's been used so much more because of AI.
Speaker 1: Now about like properly, it feels like they were looking for some way to loop in AI and we're like, I don't know, yeah, it failed. They failed to come up with one their definition. Situationship also feels like kind of old to me, But then again, so is a RIZ And maybe that's just because I'm so young, and like, yeah, you get the cutting edge of using RIZ, having RIZ all of it, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So dude, your lingos so tubuloso, man, like fucking smack is so fresh exactly, so your snack is so fresh. The I like, though, again, how it's still Oxford and they still need to give people like if even if you heard this and you don't know what I'm talking about. Charisma riz quote pertaining to someone's ability to attract another person through style, charm, or attractiveness. This term is from the middle part of the word charisma, which is an unusual word formation pattern. Other examples include fridge or flu for influenza.
Speaker 1: So why yeah, that just made me think the word flu is actually like a cool slang word for the first time in my life, Like yeah that flu huh hell yeah, dude, damn, I didn't realize that whoever coined flu was so rizzed out in. Other words that got considered were beige flag. Yeah, is that just like it's a white flag but kind of off.
Speaker 2: No, no, you can get you can get there. Come on, Pappy, what do you think?
Speaker 1: Red flag but like not quite scary and oh redlag for white people, red flag up, but like no, it's like a Caucasians.
Speaker 2: Something that is like catches your eye or like a weird quirk but not quite like you know, but yeah, like a non starter. Yeah, yeah, it's just kind of yeah, it's like it's a beige flag like they they whenever, like every Thursday night they watched two episodes of the Office and say all the words along with the episode. That's fine, that's fine, all right.
Speaker 1: You might put that in the pink flag category. I think bordering. I'm red keep dome, de influencing, parasocial yeah, keep.
Speaker 2: Dome is little grim. Yeah, but like we know where that's from. And then de influence.
Speaker 1: I feel like I heard that more last year than this year.
Speaker 2: But yeah, yeah, I mean look there, look, Oxford's not on them. They're on the cutting edge.
Speaker 1: Like they're not as on the cutting edge and on the pulse of the zeitgeist as I want the Oxford English Dictionary to be.
Speaker 2: Yep, so riz you got it, you got the crown. I you know, maybe try hey, y'all, y'all use it this holiday season and see how you.
Speaker 1: See how it goes with your elderly relative.
Speaker 2: And your younger ones who are like, are you okay ful?
Speaker 1: But when it's just a word that is another short for another word, I guess it does have like different connotations. So I'll approve riz uh that we're saying has been approved. Yeah uh Webster? Is that is that who the other one is? Then it's always funny when like it's just like, how do you let someone beat you? How is this not an arms race where the word of the year is like released in July?
Speaker 2: I know, yeah, oh they I think they already put out their Word of the ear.
Speaker 1: Oh and it just wasn't good enough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, dude, that's that's such a bummer. Authentic was their word of the year, where.
Speaker 3: They're like, well, this is the word they searched the most for, and it's obviously related to the proliferation of AI celebrity culture identity and you're like.
Speaker 1: Social media team guys it said, they're in their list.
Speaker 2: It's authentic plus riz deep fake coronation. So there's is almost going off like search traffic rather than trying to culture. Yeah. Yeah, it'd be like these are new things that everyone is saying, so, hey, everyone's got their own philosophy with this.
Speaker 1: Pre a nation. Yeah, that's new. I don't think those existed prior to this year. Sorry for the cutting sarcasm. Merriam Webster. Beyonce is number one of the box office the biggest concert films since that other concert film that came out a few weeks ago. But Renaissance, a film by Beyonce, was number one and brought in twenty one million domestic league, which is huge for the notoriously sluggish weekend after Thanksgiving. I hadn't realized this, but the current record holder belongs to Tom Cruise's The Last Samurai, which is like bordering on a satire about white savior, Like it's the most just white behavior is Jack, he became the samurai dude. Like the bones are showing all the way through on this one. It's like, wait, what are you guys doing? Like it seems like you know that this is a white savers thing, but then you're still doing it anyways. That one is still the box office holder. Not adjusted for inflation, it made twenty four point three million dollars. So I don't know why they dropped this Beyonce film on a notoriously sluggish weekend. Yeah, like might I guess, Like it kind of looks like an art film, Like it's very it looks like more challenging than the Taylor Swift thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah that you can just like stand at the front of the theater and like he takes selfie videos while you spend in a circle screaming.
Speaker 1: But it's also like, I don't know, they're just those times when my brain reflectively goes back to that Sony email leak where they were talking about Denzel and they're like, he just can't open a picture, so we can't let him be have his own action franchise with the Equalizer that movie's not going to make any money.
Speaker 2: Is it on the said Black doesn't travel or something like that.
Speaker 1: That was yeah, they were like referencing that or was.
Speaker 2: That towards international things, right, it.
Speaker 1: Was yeah, they were saying that he won't get any traction internationally because Black doesn't travel. And well also being like guy Denzel is my favorite actor. He's my favorite actor. I'm just saying so, I don't know, it's just it's just interesting like that. All the box office prognostication prior to the Taylor Swift thing was like she might break the box office and like, will have to just get a new one like this, this might be the only thing that we show in theaters from.
Speaker 2: Now on for the rest of which.
Speaker 1: It was massive, massively successful. But Beyonce, it's like, here, let's dump it on the weekend where nobody goes to the movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is that of all the things that is curious for sure. And I wonder if you know, like if that's I don't know if it's like tax shit too, it's like you get it up before the end of the year type shit. I don't know what. I don't know what the calculus is there, But yeah, I think on some level, it's probably that all the people were just you know, frothing at the mouth to see how much money the Taylor Swift thing could make, so that was the only thing people were thinking about, because I feel like I hadn't. Actually it's funny when it came out, no one had actually reviewed what the film was actually like, aside from him and being like, yo, man, people are losing it in the fucking theaters. And I think just maybe because of that, it's the perceptions are completely different. But yeah, yeah, it's ay, but it's still I don't beat out the other movies, but yeah.
Speaker 1: No, it's well for sure, like for a concert film, if the Taylor Swift one hadn't come out, people would be like this is crazy, like new ground for concert movie box office at this time of year. But it's getting great reviews. I mean, there's definitely a possibility that they put it out at this time because they want to submit it for OSCAR consideration. But the other thing from the BO over the weekend is that third place went to Godzilla minus one, which is the latest Toho Godzilla movie supposed to be fantastic, and then in sixth place was an Indian action movie Animal, which did near record business for a Bollywood film while and then at the same time, Disney announced that they won't even be reporting the box office take of the Marvels going forwards, like it's still going to be in theaters. But they're like, we're just actually like we stopped keeping score, guys, so like stop asking us, Okay, We're just.
Speaker 2: That is that's like, that's like ray je A and Speedy telling them to break the sunglasses. I don't care, I'll break them, break them. I don't care.
Speaker 1: I don't care, Like what.
Speaker 2: Why, just like we're not even reporting. We don't even care.
Speaker 1: I've never heard of that. Maybe I'm just not paying clothes enough attention to like the bottom of the box office, but that is wild.
Speaker 2: But I don't know.
Speaker 1: This does I feel like we're going to see a new era where international movies are able to like really pull in more and more money. As people like get exposed to international content like on streaming platforms more and more, like they'll they'll just be more willing to go see stuff and recognize that international movies are as good as American films.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean yeah, and just look at the state of things right, like the Marvel the MCU was like guaranteed fucking money printing, and now we're at the point of it, like I don't even know them. Yeah, and so of course, like I think the pendulum is definitely beginning to swing the other direction because the quality coming out of the US film industry just it's it's not it's just not what it used to be. And I think people sincerely just want to see something fucking different. Yeah, yeah, and yeah, to your point too, like all of these international shows and movies we've been watching on streaming over the last couple of years has definitely like changed the idea of like I can't read subtitles when I watch something.
Speaker 1: It's like yeah, yeah, no, subtitles are worth it. Yeah, help, And I think everybody knows it even.
Speaker 2: Helps the kids their language comprehension.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's right, All right, let's take a quick break and we'll be back with a couple more stories. We'll be right back, and we're back. And the United Auto Workers have announced that they have joined the call for a ceasefire in Israel and Kalestine, in a statement made outside the White House, where activists are on a hunger strike. UAW, representing four hundred thousand workers, is now the largest union to have called for a ceasefire, but it's joining other unions including the American Postal Workers Union, the Chicago Teachers Union, I think a couple others that, Yeah, but I mean.
Speaker 2: The California Nurses Association I think also one of them. Yeah, but yeah.
Speaker 1: The statement highlighted that the uaw's constantly stood for justice across the globe. But I don't know, like I'm wondering, like the there's a big yawning gap between what it seems like the public opinion on this conflict is and just generally has like there's been a yawning gap between you know, people's desire for peace and what the government is willing to like the government just generally it's like a rule of thumb that the government doesn't take into account public policy when.
Speaker 2: It comes to forum sell them, sell them.
Speaker 1: Their public public opinion when it comes to foreign policy. So, uh, this seems like I don't know a way to actually affect the outcome to like just refuse to make the ship in the first place.
Speaker 2: The boy is being used, especially as they're like even internally like trying to reflect on what their relationship as a body of workers could be to this. I think that's really interesting. Also, yeah, you know, because now we're they're they're like they said that we were going to be looking at this like with their i eb like their you know, their highest body or governing body within the union. So yeah, I mean, it's it. It's every day we're seeing little things just you know, move slightly in the right direction or then completely backwards in other ways. So it's I don't know, it's it's it's very doing a very exact time, like watching all of this and then just watching how what the fallout is or just like what the McCarthy I type reaction would be. I'm curious to see what happens, like because they just announced this a few days ago, if there's gonna be some major pr campaign or pushing back against them doing this, or suddenly they're going to say like all cars or Nazis or something like that. I'm not sure, but yeah.
Speaker 1: It can all the cars are Nazis. Unfortunately that is the position of the New York Times.
Speaker 2: But then yeah, the announcement is a little like vague too. Yeah, it didn't And I think in this day and age, because something like calling for a ceasefire is treated like such a loaded thing that they were definitely like, yeah, for both sides, bad, both sides, it's bad. But also please stop the killing of the let's stop the siege and the killing of these other innocent people. And then then that's what we're saying, that's our.
Speaker 1: Peak, right, And finally Kiss performed their final show, went and then went full black mirror on all of our asses, and we're like, that's it for Kiss in the physical form, but we are now we have now digitized ourselves into meta avatars who you will be able to see rocking out. So they it was like a weird first of all, Like the way they announced that they were getting like retiring was they said, like, we're doing it out of self respect.
Speaker 2: Oh right, we're retiring out of self respect, but watches exploit our like this is one last time we.
Speaker 1: Respect ourselves, not y'all. No no no no no.
Speaker 2: No no no intelligence no no no no no.
Speaker 1: But yeah. So on Saturday night, the end of the road tour wrapped up a Madison Square Garden with what was billed as the Final Kiss Concert, and this This actually made its way onto the little Amazon echo in our kitchen, and so there's a picture of Kiss, and my children were intrigued. Who is that? They're like, yeah, they're basically, but it's like if there was a rock band in a world like that. I feel like they exist in the Saturday Morning Cartoon universe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I mean they didn't. They quite literally have a Saturday Morning cartoon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but like that is always what they were and like should have been. Is like they just don't make sense in any other any other context. Yeah, like maybe they're like a rock band in like the world of wwe also, you know what I mean, like this sort of fictional universe of just weird. Yeah, don't know this whole this whole story just makes no sense to me on one level. And then like all the sudden in the dude. Yeah. So the final encore of the night was performed by the band's brand new digital avatars, basically PS four esque fantasy versions. Like that's what we're looking at. They saying God gave rock and rolled to you after man every time, Like I'm not a Kiss fan at all, so I don't know any of the songs and like every time it just feels like it was generated in like a fucking auto kiss song generator. God gave rock and roll to you. But yeah, Black mirrorified. Paul Stanley declared that the fans love had made the band immortal. And then there's a graphic advertising Kisses new era along with a QR code.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and I'm sure everyone in that audio knew exactly what to do, and that QR code came out.
Speaker 1: Okay, I don't think I've ever done a QR code from like a great distance. That does that work?
Speaker 2: You do?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess to zoom in probably giant, Yeah.
Speaker 2: But it is kind of funny, like I've tried to zoom in from far but then at that like focal length, any bit of movement from like your wrisk Yeah, fuck, it's I can't get it. Too fucking scared because I'm twenty feet away or fifty feet away whatever.
Speaker 1: But the digital avatars were created by a company called Pop House Entertainment, who also made the digital version of Abba, a thing that I didn't know had happened because I am under the age of sixty, but they apparently donned mocap suits to create a ninety minute concert starring d aged cgi versions of themselves and that shit pulls in two million dollars a week. I don't know where, Like is that is that happening in Vegas?
Speaker 2: What do you mean?
Speaker 1: Like they so they made a concert film of Abba and like, so the thing that I don't understand they're moke capping them as old people, yeah, and then using the motions of old people. It's like it's the same thing as The Irishman where they put they like put all this digital work into deaging Robert de Niro's face, but then he like gets in a fight and like he can like barely barely.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you could take it like a stiff back as he moved.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and like what so that is that? The is that what's happening here? Is they're just like taking this band and making them the young versions of themselves, but they still move like the elderly.
Speaker 2: I guess I don't know. I'm just trying to watch now, Like here, I just need to see what this looks like because yeah, like mo cap only does so much what they look like they're the choreography is not as dynamic, okay.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, they're performing in front of a crowd but like it. There's these lights that are like shooting back and forth that look like search lights.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, the search lights from Hell. They're probably meant to distract you from how bad it.
Speaker 1: Is on the states, Like I can't.
Speaker 2: I think that was them that look pretty cool.
Speaker 1: If we shoot shoot fake guns at people, maybe they won't notice someone again set off indoor fireworks. Maybe they won't notice that the people on stage aren't moving around very much.
Speaker 2: You know, I guess like and but here's the thing, Like as much as I'll be like ah boo.
Speaker 1: Whatever instead of I've heard of ah bah, but ah boo boo.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm just thinking though too, of like what band I would see like this? You know, like what would if Outcast did this in twenty years? Would I? How would?
Speaker 1: I'm like, oh shit, well just do the fucking do the mo cap now or use like an actual color.
Speaker 2: Spry Yeah, yeah, yeah, I don't want to see.
Speaker 1: The thing that's important to me is not that your like face looks like it used to. It's that you have the energy of the music that you made.
Speaker 2: You know, it's true, that's true.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, I'm trying to even figure out where is this abba voyage.
Speaker 2: Where is it in London? I think was London?
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, London. So it's one of those things. I was like, what is this venue that they just have like empty to shoot lasers through from the Olympics. It's from the Olympics, man, That's what the Olympics gives us is just you know, yards and miles of fucking unused in the structure, unused infrastructure that then gets turned into something like this.
Speaker 2: A digital ghost seance. The fuck man can't wait for what happened turns into our infrastructure after the La Olympics.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, there's gonna be so many cool shows, Like there's.
Speaker 2: Gonna be so many Halloween stores, best Calloween stores year round.
Speaker 1: Bubble World just fifty fifty bubble fifty Bubble World. This does feel like it's the future though, Like that every you're gonna quote unquote be able to go see the Beatles perform like a concert from you know, and then it will just be.
Speaker 2: As the future becomes bleaker and bleaker for people.
Speaker 1: We need this, I need.
Speaker 2: I think the only profitable direction is to go backwards, to be like you right now, y'all, remember ninety six. Yeah, the total Olympic Bomber. Well, we got that whole experience. You could be in the Olympic Park in ninety six, people like.
Speaker 1: Ya outcast was the Atlanta Olympic bomber and they came and they come through Wow, and they dropped bombs over Bagdad and he's killing it as Richard Jewel, yeah, the yeah, but I just feel there's a I read an article about the sphere in Vegas and how like the goal of that is total immersion, and just like that that's the thing that now everyone's like, that's what people need. They need total immersion. They need like a VR headset, or they need to like be inside, uh you know, an arena that doesn't have any corners that will remind them that they're in a physical space and not just inside like a liminal reality inside their own mind. But then you know there there are people next to you who smell bad.
Speaker 2: So it's look, we're just basically we're in the prequel to Wally right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: That's what it is. Before they leave Earth, that's the part we get to see. We're already kind of vaguely on our scooters kind of.
Speaker 1: But kind of better, Like I like this more than we'll get a little you know, some cool stuff to go hang out at before we're all just moving on our scooters.
Speaker 2: Exactly in Vegas in a temperature control to fucking wear out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they don't need to build the spaceship. They just like turn Vegas into that, into that world. Yeah yeah, all right, well well great, yeah, so I think that sounds good. I prove I proved Kiss in their digital avatar form for some reason, they look way worse, like more cartoonish and the images that I've seen, but that it's it's wild that it's made by the same people. I have to imagine that the Kiss, you know, the actual people who are in Kiss were like, yeah, I'm gonna need a six pack on this one man.
Speaker 2: Oh right, right right. They're like, dude, have.
Speaker 1: You seen a little more rip.
Speaker 2: I've been kind of working on my shoulders. I feel like you can give me a little more definition up there. How old are you? Seventy six?
Speaker 1: Uh shit? All right. Those are some of the things that are trending on this Monday, December fourth. We are back tomorrow with a whole last episode of the show. Until then, be kind to each other, be kind to yourself, get the vaccine, don't do nothing about white supremacy, and we will talk to you all tomorrow. Bye bye