Speaker 1: No, what's up, and welcome back to another episode. It's you think about it, you gotta blame America.
Speaker 2: Last for slavery.
Speaker 1: And that sounds crazy, right when you really really think about it, right, but you have to blame America last. Remember America is just receiving stolen property or receiving slave property. They were like, they didn't orchestrate no version of slavery. They didn't really enslave people. I mean, forgive me because there was a couple of natives, but that wasn't.
Speaker 3: The history model.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, they didn't.
Speaker 1: They didn't institute it on a mass level in America as much as they became receiving of theoretically stolen property. So really, in reparations, the reparation conversation is a lot greater than just America. So it makes sense that you know, little Biden would go over there and do that bootshit when he hasn't apologized to the actual people in America for slavery him more is that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's just the funniest I mean, yeah, because you're the one thousands, right, I mean chronologically, even if you were to talk about like shares of time, you know that's happened to the US flag, like the US. I don't consider the US to like people will look at seventeen seventy six, the country wasn't the country on its own two feet until like eighty nine. So if you just go like say the gap between that period the start of civil wars about seventy years, the European portion prior to that's like two hundred years or one hundred and.
Speaker 3: Eighty years or something like whatever it is, it's a lot more. Yeah, So it's like I don't know that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but yeah, there's a conglomerate of probably fifteen countries maybe twice on the hook.
Speaker 5: Yeah, everybody, everybody being everybody, America being last. Yeah, but for some reason, like the average person, I get it. The emotions of it all again targets the country that you saw then. But again, the first countries that would be on the hook are the ones off the Ivory Coast, the western African countries. They're on the hook first for selling people off into slavery, right, selling humans. And then the European countries that were trafficking the slaves, right, they were trafficking like on the on the you on the ups.
Speaker 1: Level right across the Atlantic and the trafficking to the to the western you know, to the western world.
Speaker 2: They're on the hook, right for sure, the Dutch. You know, first thing.
Speaker 1: Niggas want to do, run to the Netherlands and go to the red light district. Like these people been down with some bullshit against humanity for a long time.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Mean so you know, I wouldn't be surprised, you know, if they they all, if all their prostitution is on the books and the real life it.
Speaker 2: Is.
Speaker 3: It's just that's that's what the funniest.
Speaker 4: I don't know, I mean it is in general speak though, because possession is like nine tests, who gets caught the most the guy with with the crack, Yeah, that is true. So it's just this is kind of how it goes. Last guy holding the bag gets caught with the bag.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true. True, that's normal though.
Speaker 1: I guess that's that's that that standard that that that don't require much intellect, right, that just standards.
Speaker 2: So I'm not I'm not.
Speaker 1: Totally upset by that lazily that lazy intellectual stance that most human beings have with that.
Speaker 3: So that apologize.
Speaker 4: We're very sorry that you received the check that you cashed and maybe didn't quite appropriately apply to research and development.
Speaker 3: Let's give you some more money to make up for the money that you already got.
Speaker 1: Oh man, if that's right up his alley, though, that's right up and shiden, what's crazy is man? That that's right up they fucking alley. That's some ship that they would.
Speaker 3: Do, even like for the people we took from Hearing Change.
Speaker 2: Yeah that you bought.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but but listen, somebody asked me about you the other day, right, and I'm like, God, no, no, it wasn't bad. It was a really great question. And I was telling them because they thought you were really cool. And I'm like, Peter is not a white person that thinks he's black. And it's funny because we use the correct words like you're not tone death completely, and a lot of white folks in general in this country are tone death right. They have no concept of tone. So you're not a wigger like that ain't true. You're like a regular, you know, Peter, you're a white man regular. God, but you're aware you're not totally Huh.
Speaker 3: The only people who ever called me that is white people?
Speaker 2: What w word? Oh?
Speaker 1: I never I never got that from you. I never got that from you. I never in my life, God that you were that you were like acting like a brother like never in my life, never in mine. I know, and I do because I got homies like that that you know, they raised around the culture.
Speaker 2: I never got that. But that's the difference. You're not tone that, like you really get toned.
Speaker 1: That don't mean you you know, you still see it from very much your perspective based off information, but you have a concept something is going on, and you're aware of the tone happening.
Speaker 2: Sure, sure, so I think that's the difference.
Speaker 1: Like you never ever came across as like somebody that's trying to be a brother. You just came across his peak and you kind of got idea what's happening, and you fuck with You fuck with a lot of different people, so you're like, Okay, I see what they own, Like I know what they own, you know what every body on You know what they even if you don't know in depth what they plight is. I mean, you're aware, you're not totally like the average white person. But I don't quite get it. What do you Why are you to upset?
Speaker 2: You would never say no shit like that you'll be like, I get why you mad.
Speaker 1: I mean, you would say this is how you should do address your anger, but you would never be totally oblivid, totally oblivious to watch someone's upset type of person.
Speaker 4: I don't aspire to be a piece of land so much as I inspire to be a bridge.
Speaker 1: And that no for real, and that that is really the difference, you know what I mean. And I think that's what made No Killing special. And as it's getting better because people may hit me, especially over the last four or five episodes, saying how crazy it's gotten, it's like, well, I think Peter is like like Peter is more a dominant space and then like I'm kind of finding a place to really go deeper into thought. Right, So you know it took time, but you're getting a richer podcast, you I mean, you're getting a richer podcast. And even when we do extreme you know, Monday, Wednesday and Friday, like it's a richer experience for the listener because it's a lot of things that we don't mind articulating, you know, or thoughts and caves thought the thought caves that we don't mind going into.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I think that like one thing that works the best, like one of the most critical factors in the way that, like our parent kind of operates or or allows us to flourish. We're both just two people that are independently very secure ourselves.
Speaker 2: Sure, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: You get some people who have like a hard wall or they really.
Speaker 4: In their content, they start to get cold, they're going to try to they.
Speaker 1: Don't want to investigate emotions past that wall. So this is where it stops at because other than that, I have to think they.
Speaker 4: Want their image or their you know, theory or whatever to be potent.
Speaker 3: Actually compromised.
Speaker 4: Miamiage is so fucking compromised it doesn't exist so that that affords a certain amount of freedom.
Speaker 1: An operation, no sellings JL, my brother Peter in the house, digging in you know, I mean, going through some of these thought caves.
Speaker 4: And I do need to publicly apologize real quick for my inability to convert a clock in my own brain on Friday.
Speaker 1: Oh for the stream for them, I don't know, I don't know if I don't know if everybody that listens to the podcast goes to the stream just yet.
Speaker 2: So if you are listening to the podcast and you hear about the stream we do Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Go to YouTube, subscribe to Digital Soapbox, Digital Soapbox, and that's where we do the stream Monday, Wednesday and Friday. But we really don't do We don't do the podcast to promote the stream. We do the stream to promote the podcast.
Speaker 1: So I never was really as interested in and telling you know, the guys who listen to the pot I don't think they're the same person like I think I think people that So forgive me shout out to everybody who listens to the podcast.
Speaker 2: You are You are the more intelligent you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Person like you don't need to see pictures to get ideas, you know, people who do like we don't. We do a real podcast. It ain't about the video portion. We've never got it correct. I'm trying still, but and I know we're missing out on a lot of opportunities because we don't have a really great visual portion. But we really focus on the conversation, you know what I'm saying. So we do the stream to bring people from YouTube like that not as intelligent audience.
Speaker 2: Forgive me anybody that's listening, but that.
Speaker 4: Audience not as intelligent it's the content that's not as intelligent.
Speaker 2: Do you think so?
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I don't. I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't mean like when we talk over there, we're talking about less intelligent stuff. But because of the nature of the visual distribution and stuff like that, it is it requires less to consume. I don't think that's on the audience. I think it's just on the nature of the medium. It's not really us or them. It's just sort of the intellectual price of entrance is a.
Speaker 3: Little lower over there YouTube.
Speaker 4: But it doesn't mean that they don't have the money to pay more intellectually to get in. And it doesn't mean that we're providing sleazier shit. It's just the fact that that's just how it works in the I mean, I.
Speaker 1: Just think some people need to see pictures, sure, so, And I don't want to talk shit like, I'm not saying they're not intelligent.
Speaker 2: I just think when you can't visually put.
Speaker 1: Together something in your mind, yeah, you know, it's a limited you're limiting the experience. What I'm saying, it's like if you need to see the picture, it's like a book versus a movie like this, the podcast is the book, the stream is the movie. I mean, and it's important that we remember that even when we start to as we move on to next season, because most likely I think we'll be back for another season or whatever the extension is gonna be if we if we do it, and it's got to go to another level.
Speaker 2: So I have to be real mindful.
Speaker 1: That like, that's a movie, like and then we have to get more mindful that this is a book like, oh, really pushing the envelope of who we have, you know, as we start to grow into guests having definitely a more intelligent base or an intelligent conversation with more intelligent people that really could bring information because I think people who listen or read things they want information versus the stream, which should be more of a movie, more sensationalized, more shiny lights, you know, glitter jazz hands yea, so like even like the backgrounds and figuring out things to put by behind us and small things to make it to where.
Speaker 2: It's a production. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Do you do you think is that is that a fair assessment people that read versus people that like audiobooks versus people that read, Is there really a different.
Speaker 4: I don't know enough about how the human brain works to answer that question the way I want to. That's fair because there's certain like I when I read a book, I read at the pace of conversation because I want to be able to manipulate and apply all the information as I take it in, which I do do more easily when I listen to somebody that's audio.
Speaker 2: So you kind of you starting to lean to audiobooks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've always preferred audio because I can hear like if someone yeah, well not even I'm doing something else, but I can listen to somebody talk about I don't know, like some say. It's something about like just basic principles of like a technology, of what makes a technology market grow, So something like that where I can I can't take it in with my ears and apply it to current scenarios and expand upon it in real time. When I'm reading, I can do that, but I have to read slower to do it, and which which lends me to just simply reading at the rate that I talk. So when I do read stuff like for pleasure, I it takes me a long time to read stuff, but I get more out of.
Speaker 3: It than your average reader does.
Speaker 4: When I talk to other people who have read the same things, but they read it in a tenth of the time, which you know stands to reason.
Speaker 1: Great point, Like that's that's what I've been dealing with when it comes to the anatomy of a story, Like I've read that book three times, not the complete cover to cover, but just starting over to the point like I like I told you, I wouldn't got.
Speaker 2: A highlight it, but a couple ideas. I lose my train of thought.
Speaker 1: So next year, definitely, I want to start doing films like like.
Speaker 2: How they used to do those old audio films. I know that sounds weird.
Speaker 3: Because they're like soundless. Yeah, they used to have like radio shows, like they.
Speaker 4: Were radio shows like a Little Orphan, any radio show on World War two or whatever.
Speaker 2: Sure, yeah I never saw that, but yeah the movie The Christmas Story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but like I want to do like audio I'm calling them audio films even though that don't make sense, but I'm saying I want to do stuff that targets people like truckers, people that live their life on the road, Like I want to produce some of those next year.
Speaker 2: That's really important to me. I feel like everybody's chasing one particular space.
Speaker 4: I think it would be a cool spinoff thing real quick from branding standpoint, because the shows no ceilings, but it was sub genre of we'll call like audio films, call it no cameras because it's Mike's only I like that.
Speaker 1: I like that, but I want to do that next year. Like I think we just we need to really push the boundaries, you know, even even even the thought of tone, like like the tone definis and shit like that, Like we need to get back to pushing the boundaries, you know what I mean, Like we may have a slight window where we could start to really do things that challenge the status quote and everybody is not gonna take every dime out of our bank account or put us in prison, Like this may be the last.
Speaker 2: Window we have. Yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: I don't think I think this country is gonna go through a big thing where it's gonna get very left for a long time, you know what I'm saying. So I think it would be really wise if we start pushing the boundaries and and just getting back to it.
Speaker 2: And what you were saying.
Speaker 1: Before before I lose that train of thought, Like that's why I be writing now, knows when you be talking because I'm listening well, but no keeping a memory. But that's why I don't think people are stupid. I think people learn different. So when I say intellect, I'm talking about the ability to process something right, So like a reader, right, you could process what they're describing as a picture. That's a level of intellect. But I don't think the person that can't is stupid. I think they may need help to process it. And that's why I think all different mediums is important when it comes to teaching or inform it.
Speaker 3: So like but that's my biggest beef with a lot of.
Speaker 4: And I think maybe IQ tests are sort of an attempt to sure cross that bridge. But a lot of like testing and stuff is just really like your ability to kind of retain and manage information, And there isn't great testing on your ability to create information. And that's that's what that to me separates like the men from the boys.
Speaker 3: And like the intellectual world of which I am a boy.
Speaker 4: But observationally, it's like you can't really test for the unknown. And like the real heavy hitters there, there aren't the ones who don't need this or that to be able to retain or take into the information. They're the ones who can create new information out of the you know, you can turn a house into the bricks that you have or whatever.
Speaker 6: I said it backwards as I get it.
Speaker 1: But that's like still still is like that still is a genius, right, but still also is like a wanderer. Yeah, right, still is the kind of person to me intellectually is he's not necessarily intelligence as he's really smart. Like I'll be telling steal some shit and He'll just wander somewhere else and I'll be like did but like as a teacher, right because I'm such a like I'm really starting to understand my role.
Speaker 2: Like Chris used Toart saying that, like last you like a teacher.
Speaker 1: But like I'm like I know how to rel him back in come back, come back, because I'll be talking about some ship and he was just yeah, man, I was making a pot of other day in this pie just about the pie. Hey cuz come back cause focus, come back, come back. Hey hey right, stay right here because listen to what I'm saying. I need you to create from this.
Speaker 2: Space because he'll just go into a space.
Speaker 1: And like he like remember this shit, Uh what's the ship?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: The dude with the football head and he'd be like callabastis and then he'll start just making some imaginary work. Hey, Arnold Bastes, and you say one word because it's a trigger cuz to go like somewhere else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And.
Speaker 1: Intellect is really about managing that's a good point. It's about managing information to some degree, and it's about managing.
Speaker 2: Relationships like some homies like Pluck.
Speaker 1: I know how to deal with my homeboy Pluck, completely different than I deal with but still then like Pluck taught me, he showed me how to manage my relationship with my little brother with k K Stam. So again, like true intellect is is really the ability to receive and manage sure with is smart is about how you you know, exhale it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Because the win is so I think we have a lot more witty people than we like, smart.
Speaker 2: People than we have intelligent people.
Speaker 1: Because even we said being educated, that's just getting information and then being able to repeat it that specific information.
Speaker 2: But then intellect is then ability to take that information.
Speaker 1: And apply in being able to like I do that really well, Like you could teach me the basics of like war strategy on the battlefield and I can make it work in basketball. Yeah, that's kind of where I'm all right at.
Speaker 4: That's that's like the book I'm reading, and it's so dry that it's just like.
Speaker 3: I like to try to.
Speaker 4: I fancy myself reading this book on the plane, but when I get on the plane, I get tired and it's so dry and thick a book that I read it for like twenty minutes and fall asleep. So I'm like barely encroaching into this book. But it's it's like the art of military innovation and it's and it's a case study of like the different information paradigm of like the Israeli defense forces versus like VISA via the US Army or other smaller armies that don't have resources, you know, no limits, et cetera, et cetera, but you can as it's happening. It's like, Okay, what this book is really about is how do you foster an environment for appliable creativity versus what other environments do.
Speaker 3: Most people usually.
Speaker 4: Default to that stifles it, you know, it just happens to them about through that again.
Speaker 2: Culture. Yeah, that's all it is.
Speaker 1: And this is what I was saying to somebody when they keep asking me about hip hop culture and you can explain it one million times. I could explain it over and over man hip hop and street urban culture personified through arts or the arts elements that these New York guys established, and they'll start being like, well, you don't got to be from somewhere specifically to do hip hop, and it's like, that's not what I said. But they can't help but go from one to two. They can't help theirselves, right because again, like I always say this, I'm gonna say it again. Low digs really talk that the clinical definition of listening is to listen in right, So that's what you said and ended. The clinical definition of hearing is to acknowledge sound.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so when.
Speaker 1: People are hearing you, and women do this really well, it's like they'll hear you and they'll be like, well, it sounds like you said, you know what I'm saying, So you just acknowledge me my voice in the tone of what it makes you feel, not actually the words and letters that And in.
Speaker 3: That moment it's almost like, well it sounds like you said.
Speaker 4: It's almost like, well, the most I can make out of what you said to serve how I want you to serve.
Speaker 3: What I wish you said is as follows.
Speaker 2: Do you believe in that shit?
Speaker 1: When it comes to tone, like talking to people, like like, obviously, if I yell at you, it could give off I guess yelling is not just anger, right because like you hung you saw me in where we just yelling and it's excitements.
Speaker 3: Yelling, and there's yeah angry yelling.
Speaker 1: Yeah so again, but if you if you just reduce it down to just anger, you know what I'm saying, you stuck, like if that's the only thing or because yelling could also not be anger. It could be frustration. Yelling could be an excitement. Yelling could be passionate. Yeah, but immediately people just reduce the possibilities into whatever they think the space is emotionally.
Speaker 3: Sure and like obviously like the you know, the verbal is what you could write down that I said.
Speaker 4: The nonverbal is all the how I said it, you know, so like nonverbal communication is its own world.
Speaker 3: To me, it's most valuable.
Speaker 4: You need, like you need to be perceptive of the nonverbal when a person is not.
Speaker 3: Being straight with the verbal.
Speaker 4: If I'm just being if my language is precise and you know, covers the whole topic top to bottom, front to back. It doesn't matter if I'm yelling at smiling and mumbling it or murmuring it or whatever. I said exactly what. You need to know what I mean, how I mean it, and all the above. Like I have a couple of friends, like like Lucius who was on the podcast a while ago. The boxer my friend Will keys out in a Z shot is one of my best friends. We call him Billy, don't mind. He's kind of got a reputation for like your partying, being a player and stuff like that. But he's you know, people like say social intelligence. If I needed to like take two people into a room to negotiate with like Vladimir Putin's underlings to stop those are the guys of all the people that I know. Those guys hone in on that when I went and I'm like, man, I can.
Speaker 3: Deal with some dirty bitch. Hey LOUI, Hey Will, what are you think is up with this sleazy you know, like ship, Like what is this?
Speaker 4: This is it that whatever they they're understanding of human behavior is so thorough, you know, it's like completely like you wouldn't probably think I needed like the highest level thinker in human behavior. I can those are the two guys I'm calling.
Speaker 1: M M yeah, I'm that for people I'm not like I think I'm I think where I really shine it as a person is like my the diplomacy. Yeah, I have a unique sense of diplomacy versus most people I know or that's in my circle workings, that's in my uh my circle of the people I work with. But I just think when it all comes down to it, it's.
Speaker 2: Just harder to listen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, even for me sometimes, because like people sometimes get so lazy that I know what they're going to say, and that is one of the worst feelings in the world. Like you talking to somebody and you know what they're about to say, and you like, bro, like fuck man, Like you're not even listening to me. And as you get older, you automatically just start to like disassociate yourself from the conversation. You be like, all right, I don't need to be talking. I get like that with my own boys all the time, Like I'll say something. Prime example, shout out to Snoop Dogg and Dre who dropped an album right and call missionary. Make sure you're streaming now shout out the dog. I'm always impressed greatest hip hop artists of all time, Doctor Drede, the greatest hip hop producer of all time. So my friends was talking and they were telling me how displeased they were, particularly with the album, and I'm like, well, they were like, last you don't think it's whack. I'm like, nah, I think it's cool. It's like, got some good songs. I' gonna play them again. There's some songs that I really am into. With the songs, I'm a play, I'm a player.
Speaker 2: Mikid and.
Speaker 1: I referenced it as a fried chicken salad with balsamic vinegar red dressing right where the chronic is a pan of nigga ainc a lottas, you know, you know the different with black soul inch a lottas. I call them soul aci loattas or you know the difference. And Doggy style is a plate of ground beef, freshly shredded cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, you know, sour cream, Louisiana hot sauce, fried taco shell, fried tacos, sold tacos, nigga tacos.
Speaker 2: We call them.
Speaker 1: That's what Doggie style is it's a big six six seven of them on a plate. That's what Dolly style is. And it's unbelievably great, you know, I mean, it's just insanely great. And I say that to say what it represents with those things represent health wise, with those things represent when it comes to taste and flavor everything versus where this out is a little bit like doctor Dre is really in a different place. And it all goes to that same conversation, and we keep having about culture, whereas like hip hop is not music first, and so I'm telling problem a D and punum like our music is not good. And immediately the emotions of what I'm saying kicks in and I'm like, you know, I catch it real if I said, listen before y'all start acting like that, Marvin Gaye's music is good, like you know, Frank Sinatra's music is good. Like right, Barry White's music is good. Hip Hop leaves with culture. What we make is a level of art culturally and then music. We use music to do it. But again, hip hop pride itself taking something, making something out of out of out of minimum. Right, you take a couple of records, SAMPLEM and you put it together. That's not quite Barry White's what is very right, you know Barry White with his orchestra.
Speaker 2: It's just little levels.
Speaker 1: And so in me, the problem starts to reflect us, like, well, you know you just saying that because Dre's using a lot of music, and I'm like, you don't have a lot of musicians in there. It's not a lot of instruments, like if you listen to the music, So long story short, I tweet. So once I tell them what I think, I'm like, yeah, I think it's think it's like three out of five. Like I'm not mad at it. I think that's cool for them, right, you know where they at, the NIGGAS is doing Olympics in the super Bowl.
Speaker 2: And so.
Speaker 1: I tweet after doing another stream shout out to the homeboys, Black Opinions Matter, that's the name of the stream, the podcast, and I'm telling them what I think of the album. And so when I thought about it, I said something and then I tweeted it after it, right because I'm you know, you're thinking about the conversation you just had, So I tweet, this is the best music Doctor Dre has ever made, right, And so immediately the homies called me like, man, you lying on Twitter. I'm like, why am I lying? Like you're saying this is the best music. I'm like, yes, if you listen to the music.
Speaker 2: It is sure right.
Speaker 1: That again, because people lazily associate records with music. They lazily associate hip hop with music. Just lazy, right, And I get how it seems.
Speaker 2: I get the.
Speaker 1: First thing you want to grab, you know what I'm saying, the first thing you want to grab, like the sun feels the sun looks and feels like it's close. I get that that's the natural thought. But you would think human beings, would you know, put a little actual thought, like let me read this, okay, glasses, what do you mean? It immediately goes into a space like and I'm like, this is some of the best music. And then I start playing Tom Petty and I'm like, listen to this. This is what Snoop is rapping to with drums like Tom Petty is great music. Hip hop is not necessarily about great music.
Speaker 4: What's interesting is this, This is such a perfect parallel were saying a few minutes ago, R and B Rock Roll whoever it is the composer that's the creator of information, The hip hop producer is taking that and managing and editing it, you know, like it's it's that kind of conversation. So it might be more refined or it might be more specified in its application, but it's not created in the full totality of its original, of its originators intent, because it's not expressing the same totality, you know, it's it's expressing a different totality, you know, via an extraction.
Speaker 1: And again because music is art and going back to the comparison, right, like if I said, doggy Style is a plate of Niga tacos, soul tacos, fried shells, ground beef, that is tomatose, freshly shredded cheese, sour cream, Louisiana hot sauce right there, play the tin of the motherfuckers.
Speaker 2: The grease is everywhere. That is great to me.
Speaker 1: But I wouldn't argue with someone that is better than a side of taco, like a regular taco. That's not an argument I would present. Sure better is preference, I wouldn't. It can't be greater, obviously, right, because this taco has impacted the world. Greatness is quantifiable, Like this taco, the original taco has impacted the world.
Speaker 2: But in my life.
Speaker 1: Right this soul taco is the best thing going, and I would prefer it over on the side of taco, even though I eat both all the time. That's the same thing. It's like comparing hip hop to like Fleetwood Mac. Like I can prefer the Blueprint more than I like Fleetwood Mac Groomers album. I can say it's better, that's my preference, the better, but it's it's disingenuous or it's ignorant to say it's greater than Fleetwood Max Rumor album because Fleetwood's Max Rumor Album impacted bore people.
Speaker 3: Do you think that.
Speaker 4: With regard to and again, like as as huge as the Chronic became, I'm just gonna go out on a limb and say that.
Speaker 3: That it exceeded expectation.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Remember hip hop hadn't hip hop never lived there commercially.
Speaker 2: Of course, like they had, ll.
Speaker 1: Cool J had records, WODNI had records, Different run DMC had records, you know, but it was rough to find an album that had four or five songs that impacted mainstream commercially like the Chronic had at that time. Remember it was four songs is dre a I'm gonna, I'm Gonna let you Go, dre a g thang, let.
Speaker 2: Me Ride, Ghetto Boy, Yeah Project.
Speaker 4: And to me like that, I feel like musically like there was a lot going on there. There was there was culturally visually optically in the videos.
Speaker 6: Like musically, I feel like, yeah, like those songs hit the crossover market differently than like some of the earlier like one, oh, this is kind of cool with this kind of novel.
Speaker 3: They were like, oh, I am.
Speaker 4: Hearing this differently, sure, you know, but even still, And it's in its conception of that album versus the actual creation process of this one. One is attempting to provide a great dining experience for a locale. The other is attempting to provide a great dining experience for a diverse tapestry that's enormous, which.
Speaker 2: Which again, the same thing happened to Aerosmith. Right. Aerosmith is is like a rock man, hard rock man.
Speaker 1: But as they grew up, and you know, their music became more of like popular, right, and they became this really big band.
Speaker 2: You know, you fast forward.
Speaker 1: To when the movie exactly like they had to make a power ballad, right, and I'm watching the guys that I grew up listening to, right, the Dre's, the jay Z's, and the snoops. They're attempting to figure out the same thing. How does that look like for hip hop artists? I mean, how do they make a what's the name of that song? Aerosmith song? What I miss or I can't miss a thing, or I don't want to miss it. I don't want to miss a thing. So, like hip hop is now trying to find its way into that pop space like rock was able to do twenty years ago. I mean because they had been around that long. So hip hop is starting to try. So watching to watch Dre do it, you know what I mean. It's different because hip hop is something that leans on culture a lot more so that journey is gonna be different than rock.
Speaker 2: Rock was culture, but it was always music.
Speaker 1: It was always instruments and shit, So it was always from the start, it wasn't done the way hip hop kind of got famous for, you know, Molly Maul taking samples and making stuff. They were always playing instruments. So the journey is a little you know, it's a little simpler. Our journey is different because we are supposed to take parts it ain't supposed to be so clean and so healthy and supposed to be kind of dirty and.
Speaker 2: Culturally raunchy to something.
Speaker 4: I think to me, the best comp to Snoop and Dre and another genre is Metallica. You have a series of platinum releases prior to the Black Album. The Black Album was the chronic and doggy style. It just went to a place Mela too. That's funny, Yeah, they they never the metal is a genre never aspired, you know. And then afterwards there's a big lull in time, and then what do we get. We get a couple of an album is the purest hate that no one really liked, and then next thing you know, we're doing live at the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra album.
Speaker 3: You know, kind of things like.
Speaker 2: Did Metallica ever do it?
Speaker 1: Like Aerosmith to where they were able to transition into US pop space and had these big power ballants like that.
Speaker 3: That was the Black Album, The Unforgiven.
Speaker 1: Wouldn't wouldn't that be because like the aerosmith they had those cuts that's the steroid hit and stuff early on, right.
Speaker 3: Oh, the Aerosmiths, like the song that sounded like stereoid of Heaven like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, that was like out of the Rapper. That was like probably their first big hit late seventies, and then they kind of had I would say, like their heyday was like the eighties and then like around the time where they were run Dncy. They intersected it at their at both of their kind of primes. But I think like they brought in this like Metallica after and Justice for All, which was like.
Speaker 3: A metal heads metal album. Then the Black Album they brought in market producers for that, so it was just for two writers doing what they do and then this this other team came in and made it more digestible, so you.
Speaker 1: Would look like for them, right for Aerosmith and not to cut you off. Toys in the Attic was the one.
Speaker 3: I don't know their album.
Speaker 4: I was never the biggest Aerosmith's fan, but I know their songs and I kind.
Speaker 1: Of knows has Sweet Emotions. Oh yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Heard this album Sweet Emotion walked his Way.
Speaker 1: You see me crying, right, So watching them in seventy five life right, because Toys and the Attic is in seventy five and then you know or whatever that song is, yeah, that but they went Diamond back then fuck yeah.
Speaker 3: That must have happened over the course of thirty years.
Speaker 1: That was not but but I think, uh, I think and then and then armagedd and the.
Speaker 2: U let me see when or something like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so I guess I say that to say that watching Snoop and Dre, you know, attempt to set the tone like that is unique, you know what I'm saying. So there are songs that are a little bit out of my you know, like I can see how a rock group, like a rock following could hear. You know, I don't want to miss a thing and be like I ain't fucking with this Aerosmith, you know what I'm saying, Like I feel like it's it's so much. But when I listen to the music, I was telling him, like, yo, this is the best music he's made, Like just.
Speaker 2: Play the instrumental, Like this shit is insane.
Speaker 1: I mean, like, if you listen to Geep Thing, Geep Thing, the instrumental ain't nowhere near close to this on a musical level. Even when I listen to the next episode, which is a great idea, it's nowhere near this new shit on a musical level. But again, because hip hop and the business of hip hop. You know, it's not about music, it's about records and culture. So where he lacks at today in culture because he's doctor Dre, that's you know, that got all his money and shit, and he's been successful and he's been in the business for I don't know forty years. You know, what I'm saying is this version is a lot different. You know, he don't carry as much culture at the age of sixty as he did, you know, thirty years ago, and so he don't carry as much of street urban culture as he did then. So I can see why it wouldn't necessarily transition over the next artists to the next generation because it's not about the culture.
Speaker 2: But then again, it's Snoop and Dre, who are two pop icons.
Speaker 1: Mind you, they did this super Bowl in the Olympics, Like this is again, this is what's happening, and what happened to rock and roll is happening to hip hop where they finally are accepting these these cultural giants into like mainstream society, right and now their life is completely different. So Snoop to me still is a is a cultural phenomen like he refuses to let go even if he's holding it. He's holding it, he understands and that's that's that's what makes him the greatest hip hop artists ever.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: It's not about do you I think he rap better than you know this person or blah blah. It's like when you get what hip hop is as this cultural movement. Nothing is like dog like we've never seen anything. The closest is like ice tea. Like ice tea is like the closest thing to that. Too short is like that. You can see Jay start to assimilate every day into mainstream. I mean, like he's still a brother, but he is definitely you know, moved past the concept of being who he was from Marshen.
Speaker 3: I thought his music kind of was always doing that, you know.
Speaker 4: I mean, and it's to some extent, there's kind of that, you know, a line between like what's marketing opportunism for lack of a better term or whatever, and what's like acknowledging I have a larger restaurant now, I want to make sure everybody got something to either day.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, and I think that's what Snoop and Dre were doing with you know again, that.
Speaker 1: Ain't I never came to mission everything, and I was gonna get doggy Stawn. It's called missionary. It's definitely a lot less raunchy than Doggystawn. So I would imagine the music would probably be a little more straight up and down and traditional.
Speaker 4: Maybe maybe this time the double entendre, because the previous double on tendre was where dogs and there's a sexual reference. This time we got a sexual reference. But we're being missionaries because we're taking this out abroad to an audience beyond.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I'm thinking of another thing that it could mean.
Speaker 4: Also, they should promote missionary dressed like Mormons on bicycles. We're bringing this to a country near you.
Speaker 3: Cry.
Speaker 1: But yeah, that that conversation didn't go overwhelmed, because it's like, I don't know if it's when I'm communicating with them, if the tone got lost, Like it's like immediately I'm offended that you think that I'm saying something different. I may be saying something that's intellectually challenging because it's like, oh, like everything good, I don't have to like think love it. I think that's the normal confusion in most humans. Like I like it because it's good. No, I just like it or I just love it, like they're like McDonald's is not big Max are not great. They were, but they're not today. But I love them like yo. And it's weird when the natural reaction of most humans is, well, let's ask everybody else what they think. They don't know what the thing Like I I realized that's the job of being a hip hop artist. Not only am like being a hip hop artist, you're an elected delegate of a community, right so you're the representative, but it's also up to you to hurt them. You have to heard them where you want them to go. And I think Kendrick, which is weird, I think he figured that out before me. Like I knew I had to represent, but I also didn't realize how much you have to.
Speaker 2: Do that and heard. You have to heard the sheep to where you want them to go.
Speaker 3: Oh definitely.
Speaker 4: And like you said, you you know, view yourself as a teacher like that, there's giving somebody a bunch of information and hoping to hold on to it, and then there's prodding somebody to think. You know, so like you kind of say it in the sense that like I'm gonna say it tight and in a way that hits you wrong because I'm trying to catalyze you thinking through this concept on your own, you know, as opposed to me just telling it to you and half of it going over your head or you not really engaging at the appropriate level. I mean, if if you force somebody to have to like combat what you're saying or push back what you're saying, you force them to at that point engage in the concept actively.
Speaker 3: You know they're gonna get more out of it in doing so.
Speaker 2: But it's just hard because what do you say? What do you say?
Speaker 4: When?
Speaker 2: What do you say?
Speaker 1: When most people you know their trigger words, Like still I know some of Steel's trigger words, like if I.
Speaker 2: Say certain things, two of them.
Speaker 1: If I say certain things, and they could be in just conversation, not things you're saying to offend somebody, but like anything that I say specifically in this arena is his brain shuts down and then immediately his heart comes up, and it's like that's not the goal. That is probably the hardest part of teaching, Like when you know that somebody's trigger words, But now I have to be I have to do a ton of extra work to try to figure out a way around there.
Speaker 4: Versus say medium, well in front of steel even accidentally, I think the volumes on medium, well, we should probably turn it up.
Speaker 3: Oh cook my stake.
Speaker 2: I want to fags fags. I just don't get it. I don't get it. Like, that's what I would like to accomplish with No Selings.
Speaker 1: I remember when we first started this journey and somebody asked me, what would you like to accomplish with your podcast? No Sinans, And I'm like, I would truly like to get people to think. And I don't want them just to challenge public opinion. I want them to consider public opinion. You know, I would like them to start thinking exactly what are people saying? I would I would like to encourage people to listen, not to hear. That would be the goal of No Ceilings. Now that we're four seasons in, you know, coming to the end of a fourth season. If you're hearing my voice, my goal would be to get you to listen more to humanity than hearing humanity. Now it is a fine line, because I do I come across a bit robotic because people I listen so much and I don't hear often enough. But I think it would benefit your life if you listened to humanity like listen, Listen to your girl, listen to your God, Listen to them. Don't think you're hearing them, because hearing can cause a different conversation I'm saying, but listening can. It could really help you in your life. I think most of you guys have hearing down to a science. But listening is something that I think most humanity can really benefit from.
Speaker 2: Or even the No Selings listener.
Speaker 1: Good looking out for tuning in to the No Sillers podcast. Please do us a favorite, subscribe, rate, commentist share. This episode was recorded right here on the West coast of the USA. They produced by the Black Effect Podcast Network and now heard Radio Yeah