Speaker 1: Friends at Jetski Rentals of South Florida. They presents all of our podcast efforts here on fish on First, Miami's best jet ski in boat Adventures. Jetske Rentals Love South Florida with six jets ski locations in over one hundred and twenty boats to something for every style and every budget ride Jetski's ruding from the Downtown Skyline in Ferris Wheel, or book your own private boat starting as love as three hundred dollars with the captain included. Bring your drinks to your friends and enjoy the water your way. The boat is completely yours for the time you reserve it. The reservation based only. To book call three oh five nine nine oh two one nine two or check them out online at SF jet Ski Rentals dot com. Make sure to use our promo code phish on first and that gets you a ten percent discount off your next booking. Again that's three oh five nine nine oh two one nine two, or online at SF Jetski Rentals dot com. Lake Boker end of Boker Era with Marlins nearly two full years in the organization. We touched on not that long ago that he was a former waiver claim and a guy that has more good than bad during his tenure with the team, had been a staple of this bullpen all year long, and again on a high note, headed into the deadline, goes to a Pirates team that had known to be very needy for relief help. So he's gonna immediately be a significant piece of that pen of a team that is still in the race alongside the Marlins in the pursuit of wild card. And I think we're still gathering the final details about the return Manlds getting three prospects of some kinds in return for Lake, who has a lot of years of control still ahead pre arbitration eligible history says that you know, those don't matter as much with relievers as other positions, So this is more about just a bed on him being a good reliever right now in a enoughgrade for this fired's team. We're not again, we can't really be surprised at all about the Monalds trading relievers of some kinds, and it does the vod Nick trade now makes more sense just a few minutes later as kind of the corresponding move. So any final thoughts on on Bakras as we wait for the final details about who's coming back for him?
Speaker 2: Before I talk about Boker trade, is this the first Peter Bendix buying trade of his career with Miami, right, this is the one that's the first career buying.
Speaker 3: Move, right, Yeah, yep, damn, I can't think. I can't think of another one.
Speaker 2: Deadline deadline speaking.
Speaker 3: Because no, yeah, he's any trade.
Speaker 2: Actually, this is the first win now quote unquote move. Okay, that's fine, great, It is technically major leaguer for major league if you consider nor be that. But with Lake Balker, he was the Marlins really like him, and I heard going into today that Balker and Fouchet were guys that they were gonna maybe try to listen on a little bit other believers as well. Peter Bendix, we spoke with him. We always know how every GM likes. He likes to use the deadline to trade their relievers. That would have been shocked had they not dealt a single one. So this sort of makes a little bit of sense. At least they deal one of them and they got We'll see what the return ends up being for Lake Balker. But that's another example of Peter Bennis just picking someone out. I remember the first day he was traded or he came to the Marrow organization. We thought it was a made up name, Lake Barker joining the Miami Marlinds and he ends up bringing netting in three prospects of some kind. Like Eli said, We'll have to wait and see what.
Speaker 4: The report is.
Speaker 2: But all in all, all things considered, I got to give this deadline day a solid beat, eighty five out of a hundred. I think they did good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean when he come to think of the way that Peter Bennix acquires these guys, I mean, Boker is literally the perfect example. He was acquaed late in twenty twenty four. The Wilds are way out of it at this point, claimed them off waivers from the Padres. Only appeared in a couple of games. He was fine, He showed some signs of life and Latin and last year he was really good and this year he I mean, you can make the case he really saved this team during that month in June where they really had no starting pitching and he had to go out there and start every fifth day and go four or five innings of relief, and he really saved them. So a lot of credits to go to him. I think his numbers are inflated so because of the absolute disaster class after that yearie, after the yeary perfect game situation. But yeah, no good. You know he's gonna go into Pittsburgh where they needed bullpen help, and he's gonna go into a postseason race.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean, the guy was in the Padres minor league system since twenty fifteen, and like you said, Kevin really build his team out. He did a lot of things for these guys. I mean, saved games, pitched high leverage, gave him a lot of lamp they needed, started games. Like you said in June, they really needed him a lot. So yeah, props to Lake balker Man. Like you said, this is the prototypical Peter Benwitz apposition out of the bullpen. I feel gutted for Tyler Phillips. I know those guys are best friends, so it's gonna be a shame to see him go. But a guy like le was he from eastern Illinois, so it just makes a little bit closer for his family travel to Pittsburgh compared to Miami. So good for Lake. I'm interested to see who these three prospects are. But he who had told me on the wronger what forty games under in twenty twenty four, and then they called the guy we might even not know, like a guy from Major Lead. Pretty much, that's some three prospects years in the future. Hard knots deep plea, so best of lout to Lake in Pittsburgh to end.
Speaker 1: To sum it up, it is eight total prospects that the Marlins acquired on this deadline day. It was two for Braxing Garrett, it was three in the Leam Hicks trade, and three still to be identified guys in this pirates trade as well. And I don't know exactly what to expect in terms of the quality of those guys. It is a pirates scene that is really eager to win, and this is addresses a very specific need that they had, So it wouldn't shock me if their turn is comparable to what they got for Hicks. Well, yeah, we'll find out.
Speaker 4: Surely.
Speaker 1: We'll stay on for a few minutes longer to try to get to that, even if the trade doesn't become official until a little while later.
Speaker 4: And yeah, busy day.
Speaker 1: Four deadline trades to day for reference, remember back in twenty twenty four they made six of those on deadline day, so pretty good. Not exactly measuring up to that, but relatively close. And for a team that was in this very limbo position that we didn't know precisely what all these moves were gonna look like, they still made it interesting, shook some stuff up. I think as we look at the roster situation, that they opened up three forty men spots off the top of my head, if I have that right, because Norb for Vodnick was a one for one. They opened up a forty man spot by trading Liam Hicks, they opened up a forty man spot by trading Braxton Garrett, and they were opening up well, we'll see exactly what they're getting returned for Barker. I would assume that was some one guy that they must be getting somebody forty man guys, some advanced player that either could do it now or very soon in return. Otherwise, it does give them a lot of different directions that they can go for corresponding moves.
Speaker 4: It uh.
Speaker 1: I think there's all but confirms that Josh Ecnes is going to be readded to the bullpen right away. You'll just find on his rehab he's ready to return. So that's another guy that has in the vein of Vodnik. That's a guy that has really nasty stuff and a lot of swinging mis potential that we'll get a longer look at the stretch of this season his rookie year. Yeah.
Speaker 5: So three other prospects for Barker.
Speaker 2: It's a right handed pitcher, Brendan Bedoi.
Speaker 5: Infielder of how you sung Lee out feel like Bryan.
Speaker 4: Yeah, another.
Speaker 5: Happened last time.
Speaker 1: That's right, the last time these teams made a deadline deal two years ago, Brian Dela Cruz for John suck sim and Garrett Forrester who's still in the organization. Made up to Trimplake, but not a particularly highly regarded prospect at this point. It's Will Salmon of the athletic that has this return for us. So we're just learning about these guys kind of at the same time as you are out there too. In terms of the quality that Monds are getting in return.
Speaker 4: For Baker, it doesn't look like.
Speaker 2: Any of them are ranked.
Speaker 5: I assume not.
Speaker 3: None of them are ranked at least on pipeline.
Speaker 5: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: Quantity over quality, baby, that's a Peter Bendix motto.
Speaker 3: Fine by man this case.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, you get anything for the fact that they got three guys for Lake. Baker says a lot, But I mean, wudn't you rather one solid guy anyway?
Speaker 3: I guess, But I mean we also knew that they were trying to really juice up the arms system with some lower level guys.
Speaker 4: So all right, that seems to be a that's it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And as I suspected, biddoy if that's how you pronounced it, bid wah bidwa.
Speaker 4: It's Brandon bid wah good wah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Learning just now thanks to Baseball Reference, very a very shameless plug for our partnership with them as as Baseball Reference Ambassadors. They have the pronunciation of his name right on his player page. I did not realize he has the big league experience. He's pitched fifteen games out of the Pirates bullpen this year did not do well whatsoever. It was a second three to era, was a seven to eighteen FIP, home run issues and control issues simultaneously, so he was in the minors. He goes onto the forty men rosters. The Marlins value him somewhat, but I would say that that is the most marginal piece of this deal. For the moment that twenty five year old right hander who was up at the triple at level. Let me see what I can find very quickly on these other guys that they're acquiring on the law.
Speaker 5: Is this first Australian in Marlin's history? But wha, he's from Australia.
Speaker 1: That's a good question. I think he's on a very short list. If he isn't unprecedented in that regard, that's a fun fact. Then with Lee, he's South Korean on the opposite end of the spectrum, eighteen years old infielder in the Pirates organization, just as second year in pro ball, playing at Low A as of recently and struggling with that transition. But he was lighting up the FCL earlier this summer. So that guy's I guess that's a bit of a Shim comp right there, because they also acquired Shim when he was very early in his career and he ended up mainly due to injuries. Not announcing to anything but Lee, at least for the moment he's healthy, he's at the low A level.
Speaker 4: I'll be interesting to.
Speaker 1: See where exactly he fits there in terms of what position they play him at down the stretch, especially because they got to incorporate all these draft picks at the low A level as well, and then on Brian Sanchez, the final piece of this deal. He's a guy that is ounce through a few different organizations. Twenty two year old Venezuelan outfielder who was at that High A level this year, and he's been doing pretty well at High A overall, at least offensively, mainly playing almost perfect balance between centerfield, left field, and right field. So all three of those spots for Brian Sanchez, so quick intro at a quick glance, it's more quantity over quality, I would say. But at least one guy in bid Wah, make sure I'm pronouncing that right. Bid Wah is the one that we might see at the big league level this year. The other ones are going to take quite a long time to see how that pans out.
Speaker 2: The Pirates man really going for it. I like to see it there. That's going to be a tough team to beat, or at least the leaf Frog and the standings that they got a devall who gave him a home run his first appearance as a Pirate. But Pirates are are putting all the pushing all their chips in and you like to see the small market teams do that.
Speaker 5: They'll be in town one a week from today, right, yeah.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, well Lake the great friends get ready Luke Weaver two mm hmmm yeah Weaver, Doval, Barker. What about that trio?
Speaker 2: So I would assume that Bidoir would report to Triple A solely because Ecnes is commings, as is Vodnick. So I don't think right now there's room unless sparring another injury.
Speaker 3: Would need to make They need to make a roster move. But I'm assuming the make option. Oh yeah, sorry, yeah, because you have to add two relievers Vodnick and Ecnes unless they option acts to Triple A. But I don't see that being your case.
Speaker 2: No, they're not going to option act to Triple A. But yeah, they need to make a move.
Speaker 4: I would I would.
Speaker 2: Probably say that Bidoir goes to wall to learn his name, He'll go to Triple A Jacksonville if I had to make an educated guess.
Speaker 4: But I'll confirm that today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, as we stand, I think it is worth referencing this point from Marquis about the starting pitching, like, even though I think our intel was pointing to the fact that they weren't going to be adding a starter. It's a team that is three games over five hundred, is right in the mix of the wild card race that maybe didn't believe in Braxton Garrett. But at the same time, their rotation at the major league level is so within they are behind Sandy and Yuri. There's so many question marks between how Tyler Phillips will sustain as a starter of the rest of the year, Jansen Junks kind of limited upside, and Ryan Gusto. Ryan Gusto is still occupying a rotation spot unless a shocking trade breaks the next few minutes, and the alternatives in Jacksonville, there's now one less alternative, The best, most qualified alternative that they had downe there just got traded and they didn't make a corresponding move to add another starter.
Speaker 4: So I guess we'll go with Sean.
Speaker 1: Just your thoughts on that, the fact that they made through the deadline, there wasn't a whole lot of optimism that they would add. But this is it's like getting around the fact that this is a vulnerability for this team down the stretch. The team that is, they're going to be good enough to stay in this race, but if they get one more injury, especially to Sandy or Uri Like, it's what are they going to do about it?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean it's that's disappointing, and it's I think that's a factor. And why you only saw one, you know, bullpen arm moved off the bit of the roster and why you bring in you know, Vodnik is the way they've been managing their making their pitching work for so much of the season has been you know, that makes the match after you know that have pretty much most of the year having two pitchers you trust, you know too on the provide that length. You know, a lot of overlap there for Urie missing when Max is available or vice versa. So they've they'll get to continue doing that. But I would I would have loved again kind of warm body in the rotation, you know, back there, just for what they would have meant to the Marlins relative to other teams with their just to you know, that's doing better than Ryan Gusto. You know, you know they're not looking to add a top of the market starting pitcher. It's just someone better than Gustav. But do you feel more confident in me and providing that length?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Right now I feel better about it. But yeah, the yeah, the DIC move has me feeling a lot better than I did I'm fifteen minutes ago about their their pitching situation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, any anybody else about uh is the fact that they they're riding with who they have on this starting pitching front, and they've been getting amazing numbers. Uri I saw was well, Sandy won National Legue Pitcher of the Week and Uri was he was a prime candidate to win n I'll picture the month for July.
Speaker 4: He was really that consistently amazing. So those two.
Speaker 1: But just the fact that things are so perilous once you get beyond those two, especially if Max isn't returning from his injury anytime soon.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a little disappointing.
Speaker 7: I'd say that was one of the main things I wanted to see Miami do was acquire a controllable starter again, not a rental. They were never going to be in the Robbie Ray sweepstakes or anything like that, but a guy that you know you look down the road twenty twenty seven, twenty eight, he's in your organization and can compliment the core for the next couple of years in which you hope to make a playoff run. Obviously you'd love to sneak in the playoffs now, but twenty twenty seven, this team should be competitive without a doubt. That should be the expectation, So a controllable starter for me. I was looking at someone like Reed Debtmers. I was willing to pay some prospect capital and cash in on some of these guys to go out and trade with a terrible Angels team who made questionable moves all the time and said debtmars is available for a while, and then I guess they didn't see what they were looking for, But that was my target. Really, any high upside pitcher who's under contract for a couple more years would have been a good fit. The Vodnik fit I really love. I will emphasize this. I think he's he's gonna thrive and grows so hard. The pitching development in Miami is always a plus. So it's kind of cool to see the Marlins quote unquote by for the first time in a few years. But yeah, i'd say I would say it's a little disappointed on that aspect.
Speaker 1: M And I guess the final thing you should touch on is as dust settles, Pete Fairbanks is still here. The one pending free agents and ends up moving even though it pitched so well before the deadline. I guess it's you can look at a two ways. Maybe that wasn't enough of a sample to convince teams that he'd be that to pay up what the Marlins are looking for. Or yet maybe the Marlins just set a really unrealistically high priced because they believe that he is now rounded in the form, relatively close to the guy that he was supposed to be. But they're gonna end up. I think they would have ended up having to eat quite a bit of the money owed to him anyway, even if they did trade him. But now they are on the hook for four plus million dollars that he's owed down the stretch, and uh yeah, for given how well he's pitched that of late, it's a little himself as the closer of this team, Michael Peterson, who we spent a lot of time talking about on the last Dream Kevin and I like he's going to be one of their prime set up guys, especially with inherited runners now vod Nick. Even though his performance this year has been a little shaky. I think he's going to very quickly move into some high leverage opportunities at least in the short term, while Anthony Bender is still owed and while Lake Baker is gone. Yeah, so that's that's where we're at. And I think Alex Carver wants us to stall for a few more minutes while he is able to join us at the very end for some final thoughts. So I'll yeah, I'll just go through the chat and see if there's any other comments that strike my attention to get at. I do kind of echo some of the sentiments that you guys shared about the starting pitching and how if I guess, if nothing else they could Colin put out in a question here is that they could just claim somebody off waivers over these coming weeks. It's just that the quality of the players you're going to get all off waivers kind of speaks for itself, like these aren't guys that have a high probability of helping you right away, even for a Marlin Seam that is good at pitching developments.
Speaker 4: So it's it's possible. But what's going on Heremiah?
Speaker 7: Well, I like that comment said, if if the Rangers ever do dfa Calvin Fouche or not Calvine.
Speaker 5: The guy cal Kwan. Then the Marlins, you never know, Carver, where are you.
Speaker 1: We've been on here for five more minutes, and Carver's a little bit get here, then well we'll hear his thoughts as well, because we do have people in the chat. Brian wants to hear it from Carver. A lot of people do on the side, especially in the deadline. One of the Marlins said, a lot of their strategy was on picking up young talent for the future that we're not going to see this year, but are big investments. You know, some mixed reactions to the Baker trade. So I'm saying that a bit of a middle finger to the fans, given the way that he's pitched, in the fact that the one reliever, the one major league ready player they got in return just having a much worse season at that what we have here about. Do we think mac long term extension talk was to distract from them trading away a star in Hicks. I saw that theory as well. Christina did Nicole of mlab dot Com reported that there's internal talks about a Joe Mack contract extension.
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't again, I don't think so that's our stance I'm not going to be for everybody.
Speaker 4: I'll just be for myself.
Speaker 1: I think I know myself and Kevin are on the same page that just Liam Hicks was going to be more valuable to another organ than he was here, and that even as even as we see the result and frankly was a light return for him, that there was risk that the return was gonna be a lot lighter even in the offseason. This is a guy that so much of his improvement this year was about adding some power to his game, and that power hasn't actually been there since he came back from his back injury. He heard his back in June, and he's only homered once in like twenty seven to twenty eight games ever since then, in a way that I think is a meaningful change in his player profile, Like very briefly he leveled up as an overall hitter and then all of a sudden, it's been a lot of singles and not much else since then, in a way that there was a chance that he could continue to slump down the stretch and if he especially wasn't gonna be catching very often. That even though it's kind of uninspiring, like I think it's still an understandable move, and especially given where the starting point was with Hicks and his value as a rule five pick, that they at least sold higher, much higher than from what they got them for originally. But I do understand both sides of that, the fact that if you add up all the moves they made today, it didn't really improve their chances of contending in twenty twenty six. If you subtract Hicks, you say, Garrett out of the equation as a depth starter, and you swap out Baker for Vodnik, Like, yeah, there's no way to sugarcoat that the team didn't get better for twenty twenty six. It's more so about if some of these guys that they now call up from Triple A are going to fill the void, because as we touched on, I think it's likely that Gus is going to get his chot at redemption at the big league level, and that's the guy that has a high ceiling. Even as frustrating as his defense is, he has a high ceiling offensively that could make a big difference for this team. There's a chance that we see Jonathan long before the end of the year, acquired at this deadline as well could still see of course Camp Alderman too. That's an interesting as well, that Howard Dundant's you could say, Kemp Alderman, Jonathan Long, Davison, Dale Santos. All these right handed hitting first baseman types are now all at Triple A together. I'm gonna be curious to see how they balance the playing time, and I suspect it won't be juggling all three of them for that long.
Speaker 4: I think you see at least you see one.
Speaker 1: Of them at the big league level at some point in the coming weeks, just because I don't think it would make a whole lot of sense otherwise to kind of have that big crowd down there.
Speaker 4: And yeah, very interesting.
Speaker 1: So any other final thoughts for you guys. I think we'll just close this out if Carver doesn't magically pop in up right, I could not have time it any better. As I was finishing that sentence, Alex Carver logs in and Carver camera is set up. Well, here's some final words for him. Wellnest gonna thank you to everybody that joined on the stream. This is our best attendance stream of the entire year. I think it even surprissed the MLB draft stream that we had a few weeks ago, as well as some of the other reaction shows that we've don on. So thank you for that, and I'm glad that we're able to have some intriguing moves to cover as well.
Speaker 4: Some people have asked about the update.
Speaker 1: To our prospect list, that we'll be doing that very soon to incorporate both the draft picks and some of these trade acquisitions, a few of whom are definitely gonna crack the top thirty.
Speaker 4: And yeah, else we have any thoughts in here.
Speaker 5: Something worth known is that the Pirates just announced that Mitch Teller will be is just placed on the sixty day, I will be out for the remainder of the year. So that might go to explain why they acquired so many relievers and ay Man, who knows late Balker maybe opening in Pittsburgh has something to think about. Don't know what their death looks like at Triple A or if they have other guys that can stretch out, But I feel I believe, yeah, that that does stink, But yeah, I believe that it explains why the Pirates went so all in on getting as many arms as they could.
Speaker 4: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Are you with us, Carver, We'll give you about thirty more seconds to check in at least with the audio.
Speaker 8: Just thought, yeah, I on my phone. Uh yeah, No, I think overall you guys are probably covered it. I'll listen back. But I think overall they did good. Could have been better. Yeah, I think the Hicks return could have been better. But I think that Peter is really likes that that race system. He likes how they groomed their players. He trusts in their development. They've done well with the rays before.
Speaker 5: So yeah, could they have done better?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think probably, But I think overall, you know, it is one year and he has slowed down in July, or did slow down in July with Hicks's bat, you know, So I think that they got what they could. There's volatility to him. I mean, he could definitely slow down next year, hopefully not for the race. But I think that trade was good. And then I think overall, not to go too long. It really answers for the lack of depth. What they did overall answers for the lack of depth that they had at the lower levels of the miners, particularly with pitching. So I think a few of these prospects that come back. They were a good system in terms of the layer of prospects that they had at double A and triple A. But now they're a lot better after today with with the moves that they made to answer for some of those gaps, particularly pitching, which has been a revolving door at low A and high A all year. They've been signing guys off the street so they get some good arms back which will go to those levels and help them become a multifaceted system and be better longer, which of course is the goal of this franchise. Those who don't like it, you're entitled to your opinion, but this is who you're a fan of. You're a fan of the Marlins who need to be good long term from within, and they answered for that today, maybe a little bit at the expense of this year. Yeah, by trading Hicks, for sure, But that's who the Marlins are. They want to be better, they want to be good for more than one year, so on the fringe of the playoffs. I think this was smart for Bendix to do to be good for a longer amount of time. So fans are more than welcome to hate it. I understand that sentiment, but I'm with it because I understand what they need to do with the minor leagues and become a feeder system, and I think they're a lot.
Speaker 5: Closer to doing that today.
Speaker 1: Those are my thoughts go out on this very last question from Tony if you had to project to the Marlins still make the playoffs or not, and the way that I put it is that at least they still have a chance. I think they still kept what I feel were all the integral pieces on the position player side they traded between Hicks and Norby. Those are guys that it could be useful for other organizations. But we're kind of misfits with this team even right now, and especially you know, moving to twenty twenty seven and beyond that. I think they can do just find kind of overcoming that that some of the rumors that Vans had to say, we're pretty distressing the fact that they even listened on Auto Lopez, one of the top ten most valuable players in all baseball this season. The fact that they would even consider moving in right now, that they were open to moving X and stours like any of those moves that it would have been really difficult to see a pass to the playoffs without them, especially if you swap them for minor leaguers, it's possible. I think you just got to keep hammering home the concern with the rotation that that has been. They've been able to survive it in stretches, able to throw despite their rotation depth in stretches, especially during the month at June where things were about as thin as they are right now, and yet that was a record setting month for the team. Then they've found ways to manage these other versatile relievers to fill the void. It's just that they're not well positioned at all to deal with another injury when it comes to that, And there's just no way to reliably say that you know that Sandy and Uri are gonna make every single start the rest of the way at this level, this elite level that they've been performing lately, and I don't think you can have too much confidence in any one of Tyler Phillips or Ryan Gusso or Jansen Jung moving forward like there's you can squint and see a scenario where they're fine. It's just that, Yeah, I think that was something that of all the starting pitchers available that would have loved to see some sort of investment on that side. They so the rotation stays healthy and as they'll need some of these rookie hitters to hit the ground running too well, not just rookies, but Gus as well. I think I kind of circled him at this staff round table that we did coming out of the All Star break, right into the All Star break, is that Guss, to me, is going to be an actually significant player for this team down the stretch. A meaningful player, I should say, like an X factor for this team. That if Gus is able to hit and he's able to not give away games as a catcher give away too many games, I should say, like, that's a guy that raises the ceiling for this team, especially against left handed pitching, and helps them. Like it's not out of the realm of possibility to think that Gus can be as important to this team the final few months of the season as Liam Hicks was the past few months. I know that sounds crazy, but I think that's within the realm of possibilities for him. So, whether it's Tim and a couple other guys not on Triple A, that camp Alderman is another one we touched on where he hasn't gotten his opportunity yet. You have no idea how a first time player is going to do with his initial taste at the big leg level, so that the error bars are huge. And so that's kind of the disconcerning element to it is that this team, this team definished with the worst record than they did last year, Like that's part of it. With a few injuries, and if the young hitters actually slump down the stretch, like they could go into a bit of a tailspin down the start too. It's just that the upside is there for them to make the playoffs. I think they're a better team right now than they were a year ago at this time, almost the exact same record at this time a year ago, but I feel better about their chances of actually making the postseason then did a year ago. So let me find a word from you guys on that. So you feel like they have a better path to actually sneaking in as wild card this year compared to coming out of the deadline in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 3: It's an interesting situation right because the Braves and the Phillies both made quite a bit of addition. So in part of that, I'm not even going to talk about the Braves. With the Phillies, they'd getting a lot better. They added a Rise, they added Brooks Railing to their bullpen. They're a tough team and they do currently hold the third wildcard spot, so they are in the same fight that the Marlins find themselves in for a wildcard spot. The Diamondbacks got better, the Pirates got better, the Podgers got better. You look at the list of teams on here, the Marlins, the Cardinals, and the Nationals either stayed kind of put or got a little worse. And you can make the Cardinals got a lot worse because they traded May. They traded someone else in that tourist trade, and they traded Lars Newbar Nationals traded Foster Griffin, and they recently traded Luis Garcia. The Marlins traded Hicks, Boker, norby May, a ton of guys. The Marlins, I think, are the team there that kind of stands pat the most and continues to have a decent shot that they still have a good bullpen. They added to the bullpen. You're gonna get Bender back at some point. We'll see when Meyer comes back. I mean, your offense is still good because Griffin Cohenen has been really good, Casey's been good. They're in a good spot. I mean, do they have a better chance to last year? I think so. Do I think they make it? Probably not, but I think they'll make it really interesting. They're a solid team with I still think it's a good team, and I think they're very much set, not just for this year, but in twenty twenty seven. And that was one of the biggest things that you know that I know this team was looking for to remain competitive in twenty twenty seven. They weren't looking to take a step back. And I think, you know, they so have to face a lot of those teams that are in the fight. They still yet to play the Cubs. I believe they already played the Padres, but they have to play them in San Diego, and and they are playing Pittsburgh next week, so they have opportunities. And now it's just a matter of you know, sing this team could hold up with what they've got, and I'm sure Carver could talk about it on the prospect and they have guys that are close to already over there too, So if they wanted to make deadline additions, they could do that from an internal standpoint, if they want to add a camp or Canderella Davidson, Like, they've got guys that think that could still help, you know, from the minor league glove with the major league globe, and I know that's a big thing that the moments were concerned about. I'm not concerned, but we're really you know, keeping in mind, like, hey, we've got guys in double and TRIPA that are knocking at the door. If we really wanted to, we could also call these guys up and they can make an instant impact and kind of be those internal trade deadline editions.
Speaker 6: How was just that go? What Kevin said there at the end that that's the question now is if they decided to use do everything possible they can with the options they have, you know, in the system to put the team in the best position that's everyone's currently on the major ross right now. Awesome, if Marcy kind of turns back into the pumpkin he's been yeah at center for much of the season now the stretch, and if cam Canerella keeps trying to cover off the ball over the next two weeks we get to the mid month, then do they roll the dice on that kind of move or call out you know, Colin Aldam in there and start mixing a match again. If the but if they stay in it, I go. I definitely think they're a better team than last headline. But the fun thing for fans to hope for is I go back to the last time they made the playoffs. Yeah, we mentioned Brex and Garrett being a big pitcher in the Marlins rotation for you know, the length of that playoff series the last time they were in it. This year, the hope is that you somehow, fighting and clawing, get to the postseason and you put Sandy Yuri and Max Meyer, you know, into a into a playoff series, and that's gonna look pretty intimidating until you play that team just in Blue at West. But so that's you know, that's the hope, you know, for fans, and that's what makes this fun. If this team could keep firing at all cylinders.
Speaker 5: I agree with both of you guys. I think they'd do a better chance than a year ago. I will say this month of August is going to be huge. I think the Maron's about to play the same level of ball they're playing right now. Get a couple few more games over five hundred, because this September is no joke. They got to play the Cubs twice, they got to play the Dodgers, they got to play in Arizona and then at Padres, and then finished it out at home against the Braves. So if they end this August, I don't know, six five, six, seven games over five hundred, and cam Tinnerella still turning the ball at the baseball like you said, Sewan and Triple A, then maybe, but they're gonna need to prove some you know, get some of those wins back from that twelve games did, and they're want against a bunch of teams now that I really don't think the Diamond Bats are that legit, and we've seen Saint Louis and Washington kind of sell off. So it'll be pretty much between, in my opinion, Miami, San Diego and Pittsford for that final spot. So I feel like Philly and the Cubs will hold onto their spot. So, I mean, I don't know San Diego has the experience, but they've also shown that they can collapse late and you know, late in season, so it'll be interesting. But I think this upcoming week against the Braves and the Pirates is gonna be a huge test to or really outline where they're going in the nets two much.
Speaker 7: Now, Yeah, I think this team can do it. I think they can make the playoffs. It's gonna take luck, it's gonna take guys overachieving, even to a degree. But just three four weeks ago we were talking about this Marlin seed comfortably being in the playoff picture. There were ten games over five hundred. They're the fighting fish. I think they shot the world. I think they shot the world. The core is good enough and if they can get back Max Meyer healthy and the bullpen, Michael Peterson, Victor Vodick, you have Anthony Bender coming back, and then Pete Fairbanks, who's the last week or two has looked really really good. Why not, that's a that's a that's a playoff caliber team. And not to mention the National League as a whole in the wild card picture asn't.
Speaker 5: No one's really pulled away.
Speaker 7: So you know, at the very we're gonna be watching every night and and these meet these are gonna be meaningful games. And so yeah, I think this Marlin seem absolutely can be a playoff.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I would agree with all of you guys, I think that they're in a better spot this year than they were last. I also to add on to your point, Jeremiah, but the bullpen getting stronger with Bender coming back. Peterson's proved he could do it a high leverage last night was crazy. What he did to to get that game to where it was. Fairbanks has been better, thankfully, living out to the contract or starting to at least, even though he made the last game a little bit interesting again.
Speaker 4: But he got it done.
Speaker 8: And then, Uh, to add on to your point of back guys coming back at Acnes coming back who I still really like. You also have guys in the miners that can still contribute, like Ralston. Maybe they go to him at some point, who's been really really good all year, you know. So there's there's definite room for that bullpen to be even better, even though they lost Barker today. I like the addition of Votnik as you allude to Kevin to help out protend in high leverage.
Speaker 5: He could also I.
Speaker 8: Think go multiple winning. So I like that. So I think the bullpen did get a little bit better today with that addition. So yeah, I don't think there's any reason why they shouldn't make it.
Speaker 5: I think the X factor will be.
Speaker 8: What happens with the bat or bats that they call it from the miners. You guys, Alitered to Cainderella Augustin, just make him a bat only please potentially Kem B. Alderman, Potentially this guy Long. I could see that guy making some kind of impact with the Marlins that they got back today. He's been doing well in the minors ops over eight hundred, so I think that he could potentially make an impact to Marlins.
Speaker 5: They liked that guy for a while from what I understand.
Speaker 8: So I think that he could be a guy too at some point to be a bat. So yeah, I definitely think that they're still plenty more than alive. This wasn't a complete cell. They did a little bit of both, as you guys saw late in this.
Speaker 5: Period of the deadline.
Speaker 8: So yeah, I mean, I'm also glad for fresh starts for Norby. That'll clear out a spot at third base for them to call a guy up to triple A.
Speaker 5: We'll see what they do.
Speaker 8: Is that, you know, berries on the dev list, so there's gonna be a lot of movement in the miners as well. When it comes to that side of things, which we can probably get into in the later show. But yes, answer the question, I do think the Runs are in a really good spot to potentially win that last wildcard spot, but it's gonna take a lot. August looks looks looks challenging, but they definitely have a shot. They definitely didn't sell off everything, so fans can still watch this team every night because I think scourboard watching is still.
Speaker 5: Gonna be a thing.
Speaker 1: We're going to wrap it up there after one hour and forty one minutes of this trade deadline coverage. Thank you again to everybody for joining us, and we'll have so much more coverage on the site fish on first dot com breaking down all these trades, two of which are officially announced and official, and the other two I think we'll be joining that in just a matter of moments. So yeah, a whole lot to do on the website side, but we'll be back, of course, streaming after every single series down the stretch of the season, doing unfiltered episodes at least once a week down the stretch as well. And very interesting deadline from both the major leagues side and also from the minor league side, so we'll get you covered from all angles for you here. I had fishal First, so thank you to everybody for joining us. It was isacah zoit earlier and bring us home. We had Alex Carver, Nick Krsmer, Sean Miller, Jeremiah Geiger.
Speaker 4: Kevin Barral and I'm e last Sussman.
Speaker 1: So this was a fun show here on the fish on First Podcast presented by jet Ski Rentals of South Florida. Thanks again for all your support. We're gonna take you out with some Michael Peterson highlights that I had uploaded from the previous stream, so enjoy a second helping of those. If you were with us the last time, TARSI again soon. As always, go fish