Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: From New York City, the only city in America. It's the show the Intended News. This is the Daily Show with your host two that Clepper.
Speaker 3: Welcome to the Daily Show. I enjoy you, Clepper.
Speaker 4: It's my last night hosting the show tonight. It's also four. What an emotional roller coaster we just went on. We got a great show for you tonight. So let's get anadlines. There's so much news that I want to talk about today.
Speaker 3: I wanted to.
Speaker 4: Talk about Elon Musk's rocket exploding four minutes after launch, which doesn't make it a successful flight, but does make it a successful metaphor. And to the haters who said Musk couldn't possibly destroy something faster than Twitter, jokes on you.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Also, also, I wanted to talk about the presidential race and how Robert F. Kennedy Junior, the famous anti vaxer, launched a primary campaign against Joe Biden. If you asked me, it's pretty bold to build your entire campaign on being anti vaccine since so many of the people who might vote for you are already dead. But unfortunately we can't spend time on any of that because there's another thing going on, and surprise, surprise, it's gun violence.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: I don't want to spend every day this week talking about guns, but this is America, and it's not giving me a choice. Because maybe you've noticed that a lot of this week's gun violence had something in common.
Speaker 6: They are the things that happen all the time, a mixed up address, pulling into the wrong driveway, or confusing one car from another. Yet, remarkably, for a third time in a week, seemingly innocent moments of confusion have led to bloodshed. From Kansas City, where a teen who approached the wrong doorstep is recovering from two bullet wounds, to New York State, where a twenty year old woman was fatally shot after the car she was in accidentally drove up the wrong driveway, And now in Elgin, Texas, a high school cheerleader has been shot and seriously wounded after her friend apparently approached the wrong car.
Speaker 7: Police say Peyton Washington and Heather Roth were in a parking lot when Roth opened a car she thought was one of their own and saw a man inside. Roth says the man started firing as she was apologizing.
Speaker 4: Does anyone else watching these stories feel like they're losing their goddamn minds. We call the old Whatever happened to asking a person one question? Are you confused about why a stranger is at your house? Before you open fire, open your mouth and just ask them?
Speaker 3: Can I help you? It's not that hard.
Speaker 5: Look, I know.
Speaker 4: You have Second Amendment rights, America, but you also have First Amendment rights.
Speaker 3: Used them. They were paying attention to them.
Speaker 4: Now we pay attention now because a few of them happened in one week. But what's wild is these wrong place shootings happen all the time because America is a country where every day too many people are armed, scared, and end up using lethal force. Because Google Maps did an update, I mean, what does it say when the most dangerous job in America is Jehovah's witness?
Speaker 3: You know what? You know how bad things have gotten.
Speaker 4: Remember that couple in Saint Louis and mccloskey's a couple of years they went out onto their front yard and pointed their guns at protesters, and they got a lot of shit for it.
Speaker 3: You know what, They didn't fire it anybody. And I never thought i'd say this, but please, America be more.
Speaker 4: Like these gun nuts all.
Speaker 3: Right, that's enough.
Speaker 4: All right, let's move on to something else that's quintessentially American people losing their shit on airplanes.
Speaker 8: We turned out to a Southwest passenger's outburst over a crying baby that forced the plane to land before its destination.
Speaker 3: This morning.
Speaker 9: It's a mid air mildown of epic proportion to board one Southwest flight, not just from the baby on board, but also from an adult passenger.
Speaker 3: Baby.
Speaker 10: Goddamn Echo Chambery.
Speaker 2: You want to talk to me about being okay because you're good?
Speaker 3: Yell, so is the baby. I don't care what the situation is. That is never a strong argument. Oh oh, so a baby can poopin's pants in public, But I'm getting thrown out of this DJ Max. Yeah, this guy totally lost it.
Speaker 4: I mean, somebody should have checked their emotional baggage.
Speaker 3: At Southwest. That's an extra fifty bucks.
Speaker 4: This story raises a lot of questions about passenger behavior and parental responsibilities, and I want to dig into all these angles with the greatest news team in the world.
Speaker 3: Let's go to the airport right now with Roy Wood Junior. Roy right, well.
Speaker 10: You you interviewed.
Speaker 3: The flight Teddence, what did the flight attendants say.
Speaker 1: Oh this is so good?
Speaker 2: Oh my god?
Speaker 3: Right right right, you interviewed the flight attendants, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I was. I was gonna interview him. But damn, mans is so good. It's so small, but.
Speaker 10: It's so good.
Speaker 3: Right, I'm sorry? What's going on? Right, Jordan?
Speaker 1: I just wanted to relax a little bit of four twenty.
Speaker 3: Four twenty so so on a four twenty I just smoked.
Speaker 1: It smoked a little bit of weed, and then I smoked a whole lot more.
Speaker 3: You're high during the show. Come on, man, the.
Speaker 1: News is so depressing out then I just needed a break. Plus, it's black history, mon man, back up off.
Speaker 3: Me right, you literally just told me it's for twenty that is April. Get what the flash change? David?
Speaker 4: I'm disappointed, Sorry, folks, is very unprofessional. Let's just let's go to Southwest headquarters to get the corporate reaction from our own desilonic Desisi. Does it is Southwest policy on baby attendance going to change?
Speaker 6: There's an even bigger question here, Jordan, which is how do planes even fly?
Speaker 3: Like they have wings? But the wings don't flyp I've never seen a plane take off like this, God, David DESI, are you I what? No, I mean yes, but on weed. I'm not like high in a plane. Is that what you meant?
Speaker 4: No, that's not what I meant. Honestly, folks, look, I'm sorry. There's a total lack of professionalism. You deserve better. It's unbelievable. Let's let's try this one more time. Michael Cos are you there with us?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, of course I am Jordans. I'm Michael Posta.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And don't you worry because I'm not high on weed. I'm high on a cocaine. Okay, I'm very illegal, and well, don't you worry. It's it's it's medicinal.
Speaker 10: I bought it behind a Walgreens.
Speaker 3: So we're good. Did you at least interview anyone? Oh, buddy?
Speaker 10: I interviewed everyone.
Speaker 3: I interviewed the guy, I interviewed the baby. I interviewed every piece of luggage. I interviewed myself.
Speaker 11: That was interesting, And I'm gonna interview the plane once the lands on this run, right, Well, how.
Speaker 4: Did you get how did you get on an acts runwall?
Speaker 3: It was easy. There was a door, it was unlocked. It was basically unlocked. You just walked through a punch of security guard and then you're here. You're there. That's to get out of there. It's not safe. Don't worry, dude, I can't physically die. Okay, I see the plane coming, but bring it out, bring it out.
Speaker 1: Let's go under the cinab.
Speaker 3: What are you doing? There was a plane coming, right. How did he get in the bun How didn't you even get you weren't even at the air Oh I flew. This does work. You should start airs.
Speaker 5: I was talking about the time that.
Speaker 10: We could get the plane.
Speaker 3: You can beat you and get hit by a plane.
Speaker 4: I can't believe you all got at work without me, Desi, Roy and Michael everyone, we'll come back.
Speaker 3: We'll talk about fathering the solutionion to.
Speaker 5: Andrew take don't go away.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to the Daily Show. You know, as part of.
Speaker 4: My job, I talked to a lot of men, a lot of dumb men.
Speaker 3: We treat women with respect here, yes we do. That's an American ideal. Tell me about your shirt. What's it saying?
Speaker 12: It says Hillary sucks, but not like Monica. Read the transcript right, the transcript. I have not read it.
Speaker 3: Look at the transcript, Yeah, look at the transcript. Have you read the transcript, I trust to worry about President Man.
Speaker 2: Come on, thank you what you got home?
Speaker 10: About yourself?
Speaker 3: A safe space? Let me get this right.
Speaker 4: You're yelling to me to find a safe space, and you have elevated yourself with a megaphone and you have a shield.
Speaker 3: Oh well, you know we never kept in touch.
Speaker 4: But outside of my job interviewing dumb men, I'm also the father of a young son, and as a father, my biggest goal is to not end up interviewing my son as part of my job. Make sure that happens. He's gonna need some help. And that's what I want to talk about in tonight's long story. Short America is in the midst of some long overdue changes around gender and power, re examining ideas of masculinity, femininity, the spectrum in between.
Speaker 3: And how fluid it all is.
Speaker 4: It's a difficult and necessary conversation, but luckily for us, we get to have these nuanced debates on Twitter.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: This cultural change is important, and I'm glad it's happening. But when there is a cultural shift, it's easy to get lost within it. And even though it feels strange to say this, a group that is being left out is young boys. And I know, I know, I know, war on men and sound like I'm on a network that just got sued out of seven hundred and eighty.
Speaker 3: Million dollars, but.
Speaker 4: I know, jokes on you, Comedy Central doesn't have that kind of cash. My point is we've had a great conversation about what men shouldn't be. Men shouldn't be toxic, they shouldn't be overly aggressive. They shouldn't pay a porn star to keep quiet about an affair they had right after their son was born. It's a high, high bar, but we haven't been showing men what they should be. And that matters to young boys who are looking for an identity, for a narrative about what it means to be a man, and that vacuum is being filled by people with the worst possible idea of manhood.
Speaker 13: Former kickboxer and Big Brother contestant Andrew Tate infamous for being the self proclaimed King of Toxic Masculinity. Tate's core message centers around the belief that masculinity is in the crosshairs and he's defending it.
Speaker 3: His target audience, young men. This whole idea of being toxically masculine is complete garbage.
Speaker 10: The most dangerous men on earth are the weak men. Feel feel, feel feeling.
Speaker 3: Leave the feelings for the girls, right, that's what they do. We act, We're men of action.
Speaker 6: Empowering females is the easiest way to weaken the will of men.
Speaker 10: Study study, study, give up your whole life in school.
Speaker 3: Then you get to be a doctor.
Speaker 10: You can't even buy a mother sports car. The problem with most.
Speaker 7: Of you is I am sitting here with my sunglasses, bald head, millions of dollars, nearly unmatched fighting skills.
Speaker 10: I am Morpheus.
Speaker 11: I need action.
Speaker 3: I need constant chaos in my life to feel content.
Speaker 10: I need to be driving a supercar and fighting a bunch of champagne and going crazy.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, okay, we get it.
Speaker 4: You have a small penis. Even through the video, you can tell this guy wears too much cologne. And by the way, not to tarnish his sparkling image. But Andrew Tate is currently under investigation for human trafficking. I know it's always the first one you suspect. Now, maybe you don't know Andrew Tait. Maybe you're thinking, who is this porn parody? Vin Diesel You may not know him, but trust me, your sons do.
Speaker 10: With over thirteen billion views on TikTok, Tate's rhetoric is moving from online to the classroom.
Speaker 7: So I'm a teacher and I teach six grade.
Speaker 9: Femo of a young eleven.
Speaker 2: Year old boys that told me that they love Andrew Tate is ridiculous.
Speaker 10: One teacher says she hears bleatant misogyny from the boys in her class, hearing them say that girls belong in the kitchen and only exist for reproduction, and another claiming they talk about alpha's in sixth grade now.
Speaker 8: One teacher in South London noticed that his students we're parenting Tate's ideology. About a third of the thirty students in the class passionately argue that women were responsible for their own sexual assaults, one of Tate's top lines.
Speaker 3: Wow, times have really changed.
Speaker 4: When I was in sixth grade, the most toxic role model for boys was Michelangelo. He hates pizza for breakfast, lunch, and dinner that Turtle doesn't give us. Seriously, how can you be misogynistic in sixth grade? It's like the one year in life where all the girls are bigger than you. I wouldn't be running in my mouth about Alison if Allison could hang me by my underwear on the flag pole. Solution to this problem is not to cancel enter Tate. Inner pole is probably gonna do that for us, because even if he disappeared, even if he disappeared, someone else would take his place and spew toxic shit at young boys just as well, and social media algorithms would pump it into young boys eyes and ears just as fast, because that's really all this is about. Entertate is not interested in being a role model. He wants clicks for money. He doesn't want to raise your son. He's taken Dad's seat at the table. But he's really the loudmouthed uncle, that uncle who seems cool when you're a kid, but when you grow up you realize living in a hotel is not a vacation. What we need is an alternative, positive narrative for young men to follow. And it's ironic that these guys are talking about taking the red pill and using these matrix metaphors, because if you're looking for a complex, emotionally available male role model to counter their bullshit idea of manhood, just look at the guy who took the red pill.
Speaker 3: Keanu Reeves.
Speaker 4: This, This is a man who is wildly considered to be kind and decent. He donates huge sums of money to cancer research. He gives up his seat to women on the subway. He bought Sandra Bullock champagne and truffles because she.
Speaker 3: Had never had them before. He's the perfect man. Maybe his movies.
Speaker 4: Glorify gun violence, but nobody's perfect, and that makes him even more perfect. Because our children shouldn't strive for perfection. That will only make them sad. And those movies sometimes are pretty cool. The point is, young boys need a cultural role model who is kind and comfortable in his skin, not guys who are so fragile in their masculinity they can't puff a cigar without putting it on every social media platform like they invented fire hell. Jana Reeves he isn't even on social media, that's how healthy he is.
Speaker 3: So who has a society? We have two options.
Speaker 4: We can either follow Keanu Reeves around and put everything he does on TikTok, or probably better, we make sure that the conversation about modern society includes a role for men that young boys can look up to. Because long story short, we don't talk to our boys. Andrew Tate is going to talk to them, and that means ten years from now, I'm.
Speaker 3: Going to be talking to him. All right, stay tuned, we'll come back. Ryan Holiday will be joining me on the show. Don't Go Away. Welcome back to the Daily Show.
Speaker 4: My guest tonight is considered one of the leading stewards of stoic philosophy. He's behind the Daily Stoic Stillness is the key, the obstacle is the way, and much more. Please welcome Ryan Holiday.
Speaker 3: Right, welcome to the job.
Speaker 11: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 3: But I've been a fan of yours for.
Speaker 4: Quite some time. You're you're a popular man. Twelve best selling books. That's a lot of books. That's almost more books than I've read. But you have a lot of fans out there, from very successful comedians like myself, to folks in the NFL to senators. Sort of what you speak to goes across many aisles, if you will, and I will say I've taken a lot from some of the ideas you have. I will also say that you talk about philosophy and it helps me work through life. And then a byproduct is that I go home and I tell my wife how she should work through life.
Speaker 3: That's a great idea, and I'm just before we get started.
Speaker 4: I wonder if it's possible for you to apologize to my wife for more.
Speaker 11: People ask my wife what it's like living with the Stoic philosopher, and she usually answers I don't.
Speaker 4: Know that feels socratic, but mostly maybe it's just passive aggressive.
Speaker 11: Yes, yeah, one of us writes about it, and then the other is sort of naturally.
Speaker 3: Is it kind of lives it?
Speaker 5: Yes.
Speaker 4: For those who don't know a Stoic philosopher, what are the tenets of stoicism?
Speaker 11: Stoicism, if I had to summarize in one sentence, I would say, it's this idea that we don't control what happens to us in life, but we control how we respond to what happens in life. And the Stoics say that basically every situation, big ones, small ones, ones you wanted, ones who didn't want, it's all an opportunity to respond with these four virtues. The virtues are courage, discipline, justice, and wisdom. So the idea is that that is what life is asking from you, one or all of those virtues in some kind of a combination. That's what it's demanding of you. And what's cool about the Stoics is, like, I think when people hear philosopher, they think like, you know, a tweed jacket or an old white guy Innatoga or whatever. Sure, but the Stoics were were philosophers. They were fingers, but they were also doers. The most well known Stoke is Marcus Realis, who's the Emperor of Rome, the philosopher king. But there were Stokes who were slaves, who were soldiers, who were artists, there were men and women. They were people trying to do what we're all trying to do, which is make sense of the crazy world.
Speaker 4: That we live it, right, But these image of them, Marcus Aurelias doesn't seem like the most modern person that people are drawn to. Why do you think there's don't get me wrong, why do you think there's residents today?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean we have a hard time.
Speaker 4: We're kicking Rosa Parks out of libraries in Florida, so it feels like trying to I mean, maybe the fact that it's a white guy from back of the day makes it easier in places like Florida, But I think we have a hard time with grappling with historic ideas.
Speaker 3: These feel archaic. Why are they residants?
Speaker 11: I actually think that life hasn't changed that much, good and bad. Right, Obviously we made all sorts of progress into that years, and at the same time life is still life. Like one passage in Meditation's Marks Realist is like, when you're struggling to get out of bed in the morning and you go, but it's so much warmer here under the covers. He goes, But is this what you were put here to do? To stay under the covers and be warm? He says, No, you have a purpose. You should help people. You should make a positive difference in the world. You should do what you're uniquely suited to do. So, even two thousand years ago, the most powerful man in the world was like, I don't want to get up, it's too early. And that's because he was a person. And Marcus also lived through a pandemic, He lived through social unrest, there was an insurrection and a coup. Right, some of this might be sounding familiar, so at.
Speaker 3: Least the laziness does. Yes, life is life.
Speaker 11: People are people, and for better or for worse, that's going to always stay the same.
Speaker 3: It feels like what is active?
Speaker 4: I mean, there's there's there's been philosophy for at least twenty years. Well we'll fact check that, but I know it's been around while. There's many tenets of philosophy. It feels like an element of stoicism is that it feels actionable around your emotions.
Speaker 11: Is that fair to say, yeah, it's not this thing that you think about, it's this thing you're supposed to do. Right, So, some of the Stoics, the great Stoics, never wrote anything down. They were considered Stoics because of how they lived. It was the idea of deeds, not words. So yes, I struggle with it in my own life, but I try to actually put the ideas into practice. They're not philosophy. It's a shame if we think of philosophy as a series of thought exercises. Right, how do we know? For living in a computer simulation?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 11: Or is there such a thing as right and wrong?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 11: We can use it to answer these abstract, impractical questions, or we can use it as a way to make things impossibly complicated, or we can use it to really simplify things and go who am I what am I supposed to do? How do I make the best out of this complicated, messy situation? That's what I think philosophy is, and it's it's a shame that so few people have access to it, or that it's been made accessible to them in a way that would help them make better decisions and be better people.
Speaker 3: All right, help me through this? Okay, all right, So real life philosophy.
Speaker 4: I'm I'm with I'm with my son at a store and he throws a ship fit and it's screaming and doesn't want to leave, and I'm embarrassed, I'm exhausted. How do I use philosophy at a moment like that?
Speaker 11: Well, I think what we do is we don't do what the guy on the plane did, which is throw, which is throw our own tantrum in response. Right, So first episode, Yes, yeah, I don't know where he's studied, but the idea is we only control ourselves, right, So our kids throwing a tantrum, and we have to say, Okay, I'm not going to make this situation worse by freaking out. I'm also going to say I'm going to strip out the part of me from my own upbringing, from society that says this is a reflect on me as a person, right, that it's reflecting that I'm a failure, I'm embarrassing myself. Everyone's looking at me. Everyone who has kids knows exactly what's happening, and they're too busy with their own life to even think about you for the most part. And then I think another part of it is understanding why they're feeling that way, right, which is, hey, they don't want to be doing this, right.
Speaker 3: Life is hard.
Speaker 11: It's hard to be a two year old, right, And when we understand that people are dealing with their own crap, right, it gives us empathy and passion and compassion and patience for those people. And so if you can try to think, well, why do they think this is a good way to respond? What are they trying to get? How do I resolve the situation as opposed to solving it with force, solving it with you know, rushing out of the situation or just having a meltdown because the whole thing is overwhelming.
Speaker 4: Now we're regulating emotions here using stoicism, But are we just creating robots like because it's eno must territory here?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 11: No, no, stoicism is not about making you a better sociopath.
Speaker 3: It's not a which one is that? What book is that? Do you know that?
Speaker 11: Carricer guard I think Andrew Tate has some videos.
Speaker 3: It's an okay good.
Speaker 11: The idea is not that you suppress the emotions. It's that you don't be overwhelmed by the situations and make decisions from those emotions.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 11: So there's a difference between being angry, right, and then doing something out of anger, and I think this is an important distinction that we can miss. In the moment someone did something that's upsetting, that's annoying, that caught you off guard, you're going to have your immediate reaction, But there's a lot of space between that and hitting send on the email that you wrote, dressing them down right, or you know, you're getting mad at your kid because they're having the meltdown, and you can stop yourself part of the way through because you're older, because you've been you know, you know what this looks like. And so the idea is have the emotions, process the emotions, try not to make bad decisions from those emotions, and that we have power along this spectrum.
Speaker 4: Now there's a criticism of stoicism too about yeah, yeah, yeah. I think what I appreciate with some of this is the idea that it takes response and it breaks it down in little bits and pieces, and I know this main tenet that like being aware of what you can control and what you cannot, and being able to let go of the things you cannot control. I think a criticism of stoicism is if you look at is it a philosophy that comes from.
Speaker 3: A place of privilege? Sure for people that are.
Speaker 4: In situations where where even institutional situations. You look at things like racism, activist movements, where like the situation that they cannot control is one that is inherently oppressive. Is stoicism teaching you how to accept those things and.
Speaker 3: Not push back? Is there inherent privilege in there?
Speaker 11: It's hard to get more privileged than the Emperor of Rome. Right, But the philosopher that influences Marcus really is more than any other philosopher who he quotes in his writings all the time, is this guy named Epictetus, who is a slave, the exact opposite of Marcus. You have extreme power and you have extreme powerlessness, and yet they're all human beings. They're all dealing with the hand that life deals deals with us, and they're trying to make the best of it and trying to have the most impact that they can in the world despite and because of that right. So, the Stoics occupy a wide range of positions in society, but most of all the Stoics are active in public life. In fact, this is the big distinction. People have heard of the word epicurean or the Epicureans. The epicureans sort of retreat from public life. They study philosophy and they go, let's just hang out in this cool garden. We'll drink, we'll have fun, will enjoy life, will not be disturbed by things. We'll do our own thing. Well, the Stokes say, but if you do that, who does that seed the field too? Like you were saying your thing, It seeds it to the worst people. And the stoics idea is that unless something prevents them, they will get involved in public life. They will try to contribute, they will try to make a positive difference. And this is why the Stoics were influential, influential to the founders, you know, in the Renaissance. All throughout history, the Stokes have been involved in social movements and positive change making, because yes, there's a lot we don't control, but we do control what we do right. We control whether we vote, whether we go out to a protest, whether we speak out about something right. So courage is one of the virtues. Justice is another virtue, discipline is a virtue, and then wisdom is a virtue. All of these, I think propel us into being informed and then being active in the world.
Speaker 3: How do we utilize something like this?
Speaker 4: So I go on the road, I talk to a lot of folks and I get into infuriating conversations more often than people ask me, how do you deal with something like that? And I do go to philosophy. I go to Bourbon as well. I hell of a philosophy. I don't know if you know the philosopher Bookers, he's great. McCallan is a great one, a Scottish philosopher.
Speaker 3: He's great.
Speaker 4: But I do you find elements of like again, controlling your response and your temper and also empathy help me get out of things like that?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: People, Also I touch to a lot of people who are really frustrating what's going on both sides of the aisle. They're scary times people turn to God. I think less and less people are turning to God, Like, what do you say, and what can people find in philosophy and stoic philosophy that can help them?
Speaker 3: They can provide a.
Speaker 4: Balm two days where you wonder just how long well we're going to be able to fight this battle, whether it's climate change, whether it's democracy, whether it's just getting up in the morning.
Speaker 11: Yeah, philosophy at its best is what they call the guide to the good life, to human flourishing, not just to happiness, but productivity and purpose and meaning and being able to endure suffering and pain and loss as we all have to go through in life. But I think if we can see philosophy as something we lean on, something that gives us counsel that's really helpful, not as this thing that only people in universities do, but that it's like there for all of us. I think one of the problems is as those other systems have fallen away, whether people are turning away from the church, or they're disillusioned with higher education, or their disillusion with the media, Like where do they go? They go to random stuff on the internet and a lot of those people are grifters, or they're trying to weaponize those feelings or those doubts or those emotions of those people, And so you know, people end up down these dead ends and you can pity them, but also understand that, like, that's not a good way to go.
Speaker 4: How do you I mean, because you're you're all over the other you have, you have newsletters, you put on Instagram videos all the time. I think you've taken something that seems to live in libraries, in dusty back back rooms, and you brought it to people's phones. How do you balance using a medium that has zero depth and is destroying our conversations, but also is the way in which you can talk to kids in twenty second snippets.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 11: I think it's important that we go to people where they are right, and take what we think is important, what needs to be said, and find out how to In the same way that I don't speak Latin or Greek, I read the translations of those texts, we have to figure out how to translate these ideas that we want kids to understand, that we want young people to understand that we need sort of permeting through our culture. We have to figure out how to translate those into the different mediums where people get their information. And so I love hearing that someone discovered me on YouTube or on Instagram and then they're like, and then I read your books, because that's what that's the.
Speaker 3: Medium page yes, yes, yes, but that's get it. I get it.
Speaker 11: That's the medium that human beings have been learning about big ideas for a really long time, right right, Books are where we Books are the I think one of the best mediums to really meditate on something or think about something over a long period of time, right, as opposed to something that's bite size.
Speaker 3: And so I think it's.
Speaker 11: Important that we drive people towards books and reading and big ideas that are not always of the moment.
Speaker 3: I like it. I actually I don't. I don't think that's.
Speaker 4: Articulated enough to use social media as a conduit to something that it has more depth. We talked about entertain on the show and I am a father. You have a book, The Daily Dad that is coming out. How do you use these things to be a better dad, to create better humans, to make this world a better place?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 11: First off, I mean we have to model the stuff. Epic says, don't talk about your philosophy. Embody it right, My kids aren't going.
Speaker 3: To read it out.
Speaker 11: Yeah, they're never going to read the books, right, So what matters is do I live the books at my house?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 11: And how do we model the things we want our kids to be? And I think politically and culturally that's a big thing a lot of people my age are dealing with is how do you respond to the fact that your parents apparently didn't believe a lot of the things they grew up talking to you about because willing to throw their vote to a carnival barker, you know, because they want to win elections, right, Like, how do you deal with that? It's not even a hypocrisy, but it's it's it's a sort of it's an insincerity, I guess, right. And so what really matters is do we model things and do we show that we're sincere and we really like put value, we put stock in the things that we pay lip service.
Speaker 3: Do you feel there's like a parenting crisis in America?
Speaker 11: Well, I think I think people are struggling with the fact that their parents are struggling. Whether it's you know, they could suck down some internet rabbit hole or you know, they're having to work longer than they thought.
Speaker 3: I do, I do.
Speaker 11: I do think there is a problem. There's a problem in every generation. But it's not just the millennials and the young people that are struggling, you know what I mean. There's a joke I heard that. You know, all the things that my parents warned us about, that warned us was going to happen to us on the internet. It happened to them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, yeah, yeah. A questions to a healthy philosophical diet. Obviously you talk a lot about stoicism, but people who are interested, myself included.
Speaker 3: One, they should go towards your books.
Speaker 4: They should go to the ideas of Marcus Aurelius, Epictetis, Seneca, things of that nature. But also is it healthy to indulge in other great philosophers? Do you find yourself like, do you find yourself having to be defined by one particular philosophy?
Speaker 11: No, we should read widely. We should put anything to use that's good for us. One of the Seneca, he says, read like a spy in the enemy's camp. Right, he says, I'll quote a bad author if the line is good, Right, so it doesn't matter who said it. What matters is is it true? And does it help you get better at being a parent, a person, a professional? Whatever it is, is it of use? That's what matters.
Speaker 4: If you had to replace a philosophy quote, if you had to replace live, Laugh, Love, one of my faves, one of my faves. What should I if I take that down from my living room?
Speaker 11: Looking for a sign at home?
Speaker 3: Goods? I need a nice side at home? What should I look at every day?
Speaker 11: Marcus opens book two of Meditations with a thought. He says, today the people you will meet will be jealous and stupid and annoying and obnoxious and mean.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 11: It goes on, he's yes, he's preparing for the day ahead, right, and so some people think this is depressive stoicism, that it's best. But then he goes, but you can't hate them, and you can't let them implicate you in ugliness. He says, because we're meant to work together, we're like two rows of teeth are two hands, and that we're all part of this large thing together, and that some people are fulfilling their role by being the kind of people that you have to interview. And then the rest of us are doing the best we can and that is life.
Speaker 3: I love it, and that is life. Ryan Holliday, everybody you want to chuck out the doors. Let's and podcast and his last book, The Daily Dad Development at three over now, let to take it quick break. You're right back after this.
Speaker 4: Left our show for tonight left by time is your host this week for tune in next week for your host, Teddy Lyne.
Speaker 14: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts. Watch The Daily Show weeknights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central and stream full episodes anytime on Fairmouth Plus. This has been a Comedy Central podcast