Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack Armstrong and Joe Gatty arm Strong and Jetty and he Armstrong and Htty. Trump and Elon's feud has calmed down a bit.
Speaker 2: The two still aren't speaking, but they did release this music video today.
Speaker 1: Check this out. You didn't have.
Speaker 2: To make out like it doesn't happen and that we were nothing.
Speaker 1: It's just that I don't need that boat now.
Speaker 2: You're just somebody that I used to no get out.
Speaker 1: I'm I'm assuming that's a take on some popular song. I don't know. And I also I'm assuming the visuals were great on that. Oh it's correct. Did you see the and there's probably fifty of them out there, but I saw one AI production that was amazing. It was quite long too, about Trump and Elon coming apart and growing older, and then throughout the video they both aged and became old men. Elon was on Mars as an old man missing Trump. Trump was an old man golfing and watching Fox TV, and he missed an old man golfing now this week watching Fox TV. Trump was an old man. And then they about how they miss each other the thing must have been three minutes long. And then they then then Elon comes back to Earth and they get back together and skip down the road together. But I mean, it was incredible. It would like it would have cost it had it would have cost fifty million dollars to make that, you know, five years ago. It's just it was amazing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, it's funny, just as in aside. A listener recommended a particular video creation AI thing to play around with, and I was tempted. But we happen to have an internet outage last night at the house kind of a local probel. My god, is everybody okay?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I know?
Speaker 3: And my evening was planned out. I was going to watch the news, then I was going to watch some fun stuff. And I thought, oh my god, what do I do?
Speaker 1: What do I do? And I'll tell you what I did.
Speaker 3: I had a glass of Pinot noir and I read a book about the Battle of Port Royal, a naval battle in the Civil War, and I was, oh, And when my eyes were kind of tired and I didn't want to read anymore, I reenacted my teenage years. I put on some headphones and listened to one of my favorite albums with my eyes closed, and I was as happy as a person can be.
Speaker 1: Ah, that can't be better than scrolling through Twitter. Oh, looking at stuff you don't even care about, just kind of out a habit, taking in plenty kind of makes you mad, or kind of taken in a bunch of blue light that will help your sleep be bad. God, dang it, stop, I've got to stop this. Yeah, I know. I think about most of my life like up until a couple of years ago, when it was always always, always quiet in a room with a book reading until I got sleepy enough to go to sleep. And just when I think of it, it's like relaxing to think about compared to what I do every night now. Like you said earlier, it's almost like it's an addiction. Anyway, enough of that, these two clips will bring you up to speed on where we are with the Elon Trump relationship if you care.
Speaker 4: The real switch up from last week's very public social media sparring match, Elon Musk now saying his comments went too far. Overnight around three am Eastern really in the middle of the night, Musk posted this on x saying he regrets some of his posts about President Donald Trump.
Speaker 2: I haven't really thought about it. Actually, I would imagine and he wants to speak to me, I would think so if I were, I'd want to speak to me. But I maybe it's already called. You'd have to ask him, ask him whether or not he's already called. But I'd have no problem with it.
Speaker 3: I thought, I'm sorry, I want him to speak to me. I can't be the only one who that struck is you come to me on the day of my daughter's wedding and you asked me.
Speaker 1: For a favor. I was thinking about this the other day before this even happened. Of I'm sure they both have to It's like it's like laying down a meeting between Gorbachev and Reagan, the amount of groundwork that would have to be laid, because you couldn't have either one of them in a situation where you called and didn't get through and word comes out that you tried to call and they didn't take your call. Cannot have that on either end. That's the one thing I'm not having. If I'm Elan or Trump, the news story is not going to be I tried to call and he wouldn't take my call. No right line needs to be open. Ten different people need to test the line that it is open. We need to have visuals on us both walking toward the phone, like it's a hostage exchange or something. We both come to phone at the same time, so that one person can't back out and the other end claim. He tried to call me and apologized, but I didn't take his call. So let me reread the tweet.
Speaker 3: I regret some of my posts about President Donald Trump last week.
Speaker 1: They went too far.
Speaker 3: I'm picturing Elon Musk tied to a chair in a basement room with the combined boards of directors of SpaceX and Tesla with like hammers and blowtorches, saying you're sending that that tweet.
Speaker 1: It could be or he could just plain have thought I shouldn't have said that. That whole Epstein thing was probably too much. He set that out at midnight last night. Man, what is his lifestyle? And with all those cat do you have? I went up at all. He was a feeding He's got that new baby. See that, giving his wife a break and feeding that new baby.
Speaker 3: You think, Hey, are you in the mood for a little conspiratorial speculation.
Speaker 1: As long as we're going down that road. Are we talking chemtrails? No?
Speaker 3: No, I have heard nobody talking about this, but Barton Swam whose young buck, who rights for the Wall Street Journal a tweet jd Vance put out the other day in support of Trump, and it was during the height of the Trump Musk feud and swam rights It wasn't the cleverest pronouncement blah blah blah, but the most absorbing.
Speaker 1: I refer to J. D Vance's two sentence tweet quote.
Speaker 3: President Trump has done more than any person in my lifetime to earn the trust of the movement, he leads, I'm proud to stand behind him, and Barton points out that message was posted Thursday, the day of the breakup, but not till ten thirty at night, seven hours after Elon Musk replied yes to a post calling for mister Trump's impeachment, which he later deleted. And of course that impeachment would have led to J. D. Evans being the president, and that's Harder says, that's a very good point. It's funny I'd had to escaped me. Of course, that's what would happen. How many Democrats what JD Vance as president with a full head of steem as he runs for reelection in twenty eight I would have counseled the Vice president to say nothing. The spat didn't involve him, and the unseerious message about impeachment plainly didn't deserve a vice presidential statement. Yet he evidently consulted AIDS and pondered the matter for seven hours. The resulting declaration was perfect in its impropriety and meladroitness, meaning uselessness. Essentially, start with the first sentence. All seems conventional until you're almost through it. What do you expect mister Vance to say? What you expect mister Vance to say is that Trump has done more than anyone to earn the trust of the American people, or the nation or some such. Instead, he says, the president has earned the trust of the movement. Which movement not I think what used to be called a conservative movement, which was Reagan and I to blah blah blah blah. The only movement mister Trump has led is the Mega movement. Mister Trump created the MAGA movement, and there's some doubt it would survive without him. How odd then, for the Vice president to say, mister Trump has done more than any person in my lifetime to earn that movement's trust is if there were a range of competitors for that distinction. The second sentence also sounds off key. Mister Vance isn't a political ally or a supporter of the president. He's mister Trump's constitutionally designated successor. Why would he need to tell us that he's proud to stand behind beside the president?
Speaker 1: Is his pride relevant? For some reason?
Speaker 3: Did mister Trump say or do something requiring mister Vance to affirm his loyalty? What's remarkable about the post is how coldly measured it is.
Speaker 1: He it was I thought, I thought because he went to did he go to a Yale Law school or Harvard Law School, Harvard Law.
Speaker 3: Harvard undergrad, Yale Law. Maybe I don't know, something like that, but anyway, he's an ivy league lawyer. That was written like a lawyer. Yeah, I mean the words were chosen carefully.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Oh.
Speaker 3: And then many quotes Proverbs ten nineteen in a multitude of words there wanteth not sin, which is a verse I'd never heard before. I don't recall it, and it's ironic given the way we make our living. But to translate at Jack, your hostital to your new translations.
Speaker 1: I'm a King James version. If they're a bunch, that's right, sir.
Speaker 3: If there are lots and lots of words, you're gonna find sin in there, or there's probably bull crap in there. What's the phrase in a multitude of words there, wanteth not sin?
Speaker 1: Interesting? That is one of the problems the King James version of the Bible is regularly have no idea what it's said. That's a criticism. But the words are flowery, okay, cool, coming up. I have breaking BTS news, that's right. The k pop band Good Lord. Also the saddest thing I is so sad. I only read like the first paragraph and I had to stop. Oh and and not like, you know, a horrible crime or something, and just it'll make sense when I tell you, among other things, on the way to stay here, I told you I had breaking VTS news, the k pop band. I've tried to listen to k pop and give it a you know, a decent shake, just not my thing, which is fine. Different what do they say, strokes for folks or something like that. But I did think this was damned interesting. They finished their mandatory military service there in South Korea, that's why you haven't heard much about them for the past two years, and now are going to get to go back to doing their music now. I don't know if because they've like aged by two years, that there's another K pop band that is much more popular and a bigger deal. But I mean, they like have the biggest selling albums of all time worldwide and all kinds of ridiculous records, but they that had I'm sure I'd known that at some point, but I'd forgotten. They have mandatory military service for I think a year and a half for all young people coming out of high school, which has been you know, discussed many times in this country. I think it'd be great for everybody for all kinds of things.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, libertarians hate you for saying that they'rerible compulsory service. Oh my, I just hope their drill sergeants didn't beat the cutely am triagonousness out of them.
Speaker 1: Two members of the K pop Sensation BTS have completed their mandatory year and a half military service in South Korea, leaving their base to the roars of fans counting down for the supergroup's reunion. Yeah, well, obviously that's where it gets difficult. Is the whole mandatory government anything? But I wonder if you could get it going culturally. Probably not, but it wouldn't have to be military service, just some sort of service, you know you, I don't know, Yeah, serve meals at an old folks home, or pick up traction the dishes. I don't know what it would be, but it's worth brainstorming on. Yeah, why not some point we probably out of truck. I definitely want to talk about the military parade that Trump's going to have this weekend. It's not something we've normally done in this country, and whether you're forard or against it, and some people coming out on both sides. Also Trump ordering the renaming of the military bases back to the old names, including you know, military base named after Robert E. Lee, all that sort of stuff. Announce it, Confederate generals, Yeah, announce that. Thank you. We got to get back. What's the other thing I teased that I definitely wanted to get on. Do you remember what it was? Anybody?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, the Simone Biles thing? Oh yeah, yeah, yeah yeah. Let me see if I can find that. Simone Biles and Riley Gaines have been at it with each other started last week. We talked about it here on the air, and basically, Simone Biles came out in favor of well, blasting Riley Gaines for being a hater in transphone make and transphobic and back, bad for sports and everything.
Speaker 3: And a sore loser because she got beat by a six foot four inch mail.
Speaker 1: By wanting to get dudes out of girls sports and can't understand what's going on. Riley Gaines blasted back with her usual, to my mind, very reasonable comments about why you can't have dudes competing against girls anyway, and a lengthy post and it's some people believe really done a lot of damage Simone Bio's ability to make money as a pitch person going forward. I happen to know something about her agents, and I think they pooped a brick. Whether you know it's pitching at and T cell phone service or Tide or whatever she's going to do.
Speaker 3: You will think of this every time I hear her name or see her face for years. I wouldn't touch her. There's too many other options. There's too many other options that don't have baggage. Why would you choose her? So she might be trying to clean that up.
Speaker 1: I think she wanted to address how the current because last week she addressed how the current system doesn't adequately balance principles such as well, I'll just read it. I wanted to follow up from my last tweets. I've always believed competitive equity and inclusivity are both essential in sport, meaningless words you have when did you spend a lot of time twisting to gy rting through in the air trying to beat other people? Thinking I sure hope there's competitive equity and inclusivity going on here? Really didn't come up a lot in my life. But anyway, the current system doesn't adequately balance these important principles, which often leads to frustration and heated exchanges, and it didn't help for me to get personal with Riley, which I apologize for.
Speaker 3: So first you blame the circumstance for causing heated exchanges, you don't take responsibility for it, and then you apologize for something that was caused by something else than wasn't your fault. She claims she's standing up for fair competition. Dudes whooping up on girls in sports? Okay, someone.
Speaker 1: That's so weak.
Speaker 5: I just.
Speaker 1: I just I try to understand that point of view, and I just don't under I don't. I can't get there. Here's what you lack. And I've been trying to get fully get.
Speaker 3: A lot of these people. And I don't think Simone Biles is a bad person at all. I think, you know, if you were to put her through ten different moral tests, I think she'd do just fine. The thing people like us can't feel, and I think a lot of y'all answer to this description too, is the desperate need to say what you think you're supposed to say, the social pressure you feel to go along with the conventional opinion of your social group.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure. I mean I would.
Speaker 3: You might force me to mouth the words of some of this stuff, but man, it would come out of my mouth.
Speaker 1: I would be sickened.
Speaker 3: I think somebody like Simone Biles is so enthusiastic about going along with her peer group and the bubbles she's in. She doesn't feel any particular shame or feel bad about saying something she knows to be illogical.
Speaker 1: Yesh, she feels it so intensely, the need to go along. And I don't know how intelligent she is or isn't. She might be super super bright. But I'm sure because to be that kind of athlete, she's dedicated every moment of her life to gymnastics, not you know, cultural political issues. Right. Yeah, I didn't get to the saddest thing I've ever read. I will get to it in the next half hour. Oh something to look forward to.
Speaker 3: Speaking of hyperbole, the most deluded man in America, completely delusional.
Speaker 1: We'll share his thoughts, Armstrong and getty.
Speaker 6: When I asked yesterday if borders are Tom Holman should arrest California Governor Gavin Ussen, President Trump said he would do it and added, quote, I like Gavin Newssen. He's a nice guy, but he's grossly incompetent.
Speaker 5: Ah.
Speaker 6: Yes, the old compliment, compliment, searing insult. Imagine Trump giving a eulogy super guy will be greatly miss world's tiniest penis.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 1: That is his pattern, which I'd never completely noticed before. Compliment, compliment, searing insult. Yeah, well that in the whole we get along, well, we get along well, I like him. Nobody cares if you get along well or you like somebody. It's not anyway. Coming up's me crazy, coming up. The saddest thing I've ever read about summertime and Elon with a huge TESLA announcement got nothing to do with politics at all, which, man, if he's not, that's not a coincidence. Oh interesting, we'll talk about that then. I guess. Yeah, let's see, Michael. You know what I need? I really need some Gavin Newsom give me sixty.
Speaker 5: This brazen abuse of power by a sitting president inflamed a combustible situation, putting our people, our officers, and even our National Guard at risk.
Speaker 3: And especially so because everything was going fine and it was perfectly peaceful. According to one of America's leading inflexts, Maxine Waters.
Speaker 1: Don't think that somehow because they called out the National Guard, there was violence. There was no violence. I was on the street. I know.
Speaker 3: Maxine Waters claiming there was no violence in Los Angeles.
Speaker 1: Zero. Good lord. Anyway, moving along, I mentioned earlier that the current, the talking point of the last twenty four hours is it's just a tiny part of LA It was a very small part of La. La is five hundred square miles. This is one square mile where they had a rest, to which my response is Washington, d C. January sixth, Washington, d C was Placid one building, people were beaten down, cops with flag poles and trying to go in and kill Nancy Belosi one building. The rest of DC was fine.
Speaker 3: Oh it was calm as the reflecting pools there, everything that was fine. So a couple of things of note. Molly Ball on the Wall Street Journal interviewing Gavey knew some about how he clearly is using this to steer toward the twenty eight, twenty twenty eight candidacy for president.
Speaker 1: And I love Gabby's quote daring Trump to arrest him. Let's go.
Speaker 3: You need a scalp, You need to show your tough guy, need to show your base. You're going to own the Libs. Why don't you just get it over with. Arrest me, but stop attacking these vulnerable people. Then, surveying the landscape from the cross he'd hauled himself up on, Gavin Newsom announced his candidacy, absolutely hilarious, saying his usual stuff. Tom Cotton responding with an editorial, send in the troops for real. When local police can't restore order, the federal government has a duty to do so with a show of force. One hundred percent appropriate, one hundred percent legal. Andy McCarthy the National Review, who is a great legal commentator, agrees with him. There's going to be hearing tomorrow. I guess about the legality of this.
Speaker 1: You moved on too fast from Gavin up on the cross. I was going to say, the thief next to him said nice hair. That's really good. That's really good.
Speaker 3: Which brings us to the most delusional man in America. And I was thinking of setting this up by telling you why I'm bringing this to you, but I thought, no, no, I think you'll get there on your own. And this is both for cal Unicornians and the rest of the country. And it'll take a second.
Speaker 1: But bear with me.
Speaker 3: This is written by a fellow by the name of Jim Newton, who worked at the La Times for twenty five years as a reporter, editor and columnist. Currently edits the Some magazine at UCLA. So he's moved into academia and he's got an upcoming book about the Grateful Dead.
Speaker 1: Okay, not that that matters, but twenty five years at the La Times.
Speaker 3: The title of his piece for Politico is why Donald Trump had to attack California. There's much more at stake for Trump and Californians than deportations, and Jack, you got it.
Speaker 1: You gotta tune into this now.
Speaker 3: President Donald Trump and his supporters are right about what thing in this explosive clash between California federal government. It's not just a fight over position or even public safety. It's about values, and it's been a long time building for Trump.
Speaker 1: It's a battle of.
Speaker 3: His choosing, giving him the opportunity to escalate a conflict on a signature issue, immigration in the city and state governed by political adversaries so far, absolutely true for California. It is the logical result of a long and profound transformation from the days of Republican Party dominance to Democratic party control, one I've watched and chronicled for more than thirty years, in that I now see culminating in literal fighting in the streets. Californians are turning out against forces sent here by guardians of a value system that the state has rejected. And then he goes how not very long ago California was a solid Republican state. Hiram Johnson, Earl Warren, Ronald Reagan, stalwarts of the GOP.
Speaker 1: WOW. I don't know if I agree with not very long ago, but I mean it's not eons ago.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, seventy five years, yeah, sixty years, depending on who you're talking about. But a few years later, when Pat Brown was re selected to his second term in nineteen sixty two, he was the first Democrat ever to win the governorship twice, that changed. And then he goes into how staunchly Democrat California.
Speaker 1: Is now except for the great, the honored Devis.
Speaker 3: And he goes in Arnold, who was an anomaly and he really was a celebrity during a weird recall election. Governor is a centrist kind of And now he gets into how there are no Republicans who are mayors of any city, no Republicans in any statewide office.
Speaker 1: None.
Speaker 3: Many forces have propelled that shift, but chief among them are the party's divergent approaches to environmental and immigration, shifting demographics, blah blah blah, reverence for the coastlines, and I wish I had time to read this whole thing.
Speaker 1: He gets into changing demographics. His argument is essentially.
Speaker 3: All that is true, and thank god, the California of twenty twenty five is so much better than the California of the fifties, the sixties, the California dream the seventies, expansion, prosperity, innovation, the eighties, that was a nightmare, the streets of Los Angeles and San Francisco and Sacramento and San Diego, which is decaying. We don't talk about that much. The currents in California is so much better now. This is the California of our dreams. That's his point. And I see the wide eyes and slack jaws of people who've either who live in California, visit California, know of California, thinking, whoa dude, this is your ideal. Yes, he's proudly right that.
Speaker 1: With people moving out for the first time in the state's history.
Speaker 3: Yeah, crime rampant in the streets, needles everywhere, human feces, junkie camps, felon's being released from prisons, the schools indoctrinating your children about radical transsexual theory in the third grade. Finally, the era of Reagan's California has been put to bed and our utopia is here.
Speaker 1: Holy crap. We should decide as a show whether it does us more harm or could to mention the human feces on the sidewalks in California, because while it's true and a significant problems and uh, you know, is definitely a sign of things aren't going well in your town. I mean, yes, most of you listening have never seen that on the sidewalk ever in your life.
Speaker 3: You are really making the case for why we ought to mention it. Where's the flip side?
Speaker 1: Disgusting Every time someone says that, that's why we're talking about it's horrified. I almost unswallow. Yeah, poop, poop, poop poop.
Speaker 3: That's right, Johnny Depp. Johnny's man enough to take on the challenges of today, Jack, are you?
Speaker 1: Sam and I walked around some in San Francisco last time we were there, and I was just remarking to him on how that is just so crazy that in the modern world that would ever happen.
Speaker 3: California is a staunchly Democrat has it was republic and a flip and orientation and it has become what it's always meant to be, says Jim Newton in Politico.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm about to talk about Elon in some big announcement he made about Tesla. I wish we could do some sort of counterfactual, uh, you know, parallel universe where Silicon Valley had happened completely in Austin instead of in the Bay Area, more or less by acts, because that has propped up so much of the finances of this state. If it had just happened to happen in California, where were we of bed.
Speaker 3: The revenue from Google and Meta and a couple other super giants Apple, they prop up the socialist government of California.
Speaker 1: Right. Absolutely a sad piece I read about summers that I'm not going to dwell on, but it's worth pointing out, among other things on the way stay here.
Speaker 7: Just days after the horrific fire bombing targeting Jewish demonstrators in Boulder, Colorado, and the deadly shooting of two Israeli embassy employees in Washington, d C. Tonight, authorities unsealing new charges in an alleged plot targeting Jews in New York City. Federal prosecutors say a twenty year old Pakistani national wanted to carry out a coordinator attack with AR fifteen style rifles on a Jewish center in Brooklyn in the name of ice. The FBI, quoting the suspect, Mohammed Khan, is saying New York is perfect to target Jews. Even if we don't attack an event, we could rack up easily a lot of Jews.
Speaker 1: We are going to NYC to slaughter them, Mohammed. You say there was a terrorist plot they stopped. Also a couple of weeks ago, guy who was gonna shoot up a whole bunch of kids at a school. He hated these Jewish kids, and they stopped him. So, man, it's it's who. It could be a lot worse than it's Ben.
Speaker 3: England is trying to deal with this by giving in. There's now in effect an anti blasphemy law in England. Man who burned a koran was convicted of a religiously aggravated public order offense because the man's actions were intended to cause harassment, alarm or distress. And as one writer points out, it's a very slippery slope. You do realize that among serious Muslims, a woman showing her hair can cause alarm in distress, right, m good one.
Speaker 1: England is trying to submit. So Elon was tweeting about Tesla last night. You think that that's not a coincidence that he apologized basically for his behavior against Trump and is tweeting about the UH. Some of the advances in Tesla.
Speaker 3: I think his boards of directors mentioned your shareholders, dude.
Speaker 1: But they had breaking first ever Tesla model y robotaxi with no one in the driver's seat spotted testing on public roads in Austin, and Elon tweeted out, these are unmodified Tesla cars coming straight from the factory, meaning that every Tesla coming out of our factory is capable of unsupervised self driving. It'll be ready sometime later this year or next if that actually happens, all of us who have I think any Tesla in like the twenty three and on, certainly twenty four and on, is then able to be completely autonomous driving. That will be a major change maybe in world history. Yeah. I mean one out of ten people drive in some aspect for a living, and that would mean the technology is here for that to be I just don't know if the you know, the insurance companies or the states are going to allow it to happen the way he's thinking. I don't know if he thought that through or not. Yeah, it'll be complicated in Thorny for sure. I just think he was trying to juice Tesla stock in excitement and that sort of thing. Yeah, he's yeah, I mean that they change the cameras. He's working toward it. He's been working toward it forever. I just don't know when it will actually be ready to go. Last night, walking into the grocery store with my son because we're out of milk, walking down the aisle and I say, yes, they've got woolight here, one bottle left, and I grabbed the bottle of woolight, and my thirteen year old said, is this what it's like to be an adult?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: My god, he's hilarious, and I thought, yeah, this is what gets me excited. They had at a woolite left at the grocery store. He's a thirteen year old son about to enjoy summertime. And I had come across this piece yesterday in the National Review, which I could only read a couple of sentences of it's probably really well written, and I just thought I can't go there. Michael Brendan Doherty of National Review writing and he's got kids also school age summers before screens and he gets into I don't know why this bothers me so much. It almost chokes me up to think about it. He talks about his summers and his kids summers and just how it's never coming back, and you know they don't know what they're missing, And he didn't. I don't know if he makes the point because I said I didn't read the whole thing because I thought it was too sad that soon those of us who had summers before screens will be dead and there will be nobody to even comment on comparing the two. But to summers after screens. We all know everything after screens is different. And the we're outside board and we make up a game with a ball and some basses and some rules is gone forever. It just is wow, and we play all day and get sweaty and tired and laugh and argue. Yeah. And it was head in that direction already because of the weird worried our kids are going to be abducted or whatever the hell happened in the eighties and nineties and two thousands, where I've told this story gazillion times. I lived and this was twenty years ago. This is pre screens. I used to say this smartphones, and this was true. Then I lived near a giant park. I drove by that park multiple times a day for years. I never one time, not once ever saw two kids out there playing catch. Never or anybody's yard. Now. I saw organized soccer matches with all the parents on the sidelines with the pop up tents, but I never saw two kids playing catch or shooting hoops ever. It just it's gone away. And then you add in screens with you know you're gonna you're gonna play video games or stare at your screen, and I just and what I was wondering, is is it just nostalgia? Is it just you know, my youth was better than your youth for some weird way, a way we glorify the past or something, or is it actually a step backwards. Oh, I think there's plenty of objective data.
Speaker 3: I mean there're none of this, like in isolation is a fatal disease, if you will, Because if you had screens but also lots of free play, you know, lots of autonomy, free range kids things, it'd be fine, it'd work itself out. But it all, it all congeals into this sort of passive directed by adults, non inventive, no risk, you know activity. I think it's cool that your son and others like him skateboard or did and risk injury and get all bloody and scraped up and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: I think that's fantastic. Yeah. My oldest, luckily, is no interest in video games and is super into riding his bike and doing wheelies and stuff like that. But my youngest is more typical of the genre, likes video games and all that sort of stuff. So the title was Summer's Before Screens, and I just again text the text line, I'd be interested? Am I just you know, romanticizing in a nostalgic sort of way or has something been lost with childhood? That's enough of that and weirds me out. Tony Hawk, the most famous skateboarder of all time, showed up to a Texas skateboard park yesterday and started skating boarding, and people started recognize who he was and needed a bunch of cool stuff.
Speaker 3: How cool would that be, your young skateboarder kid? I saw a commercial with him the other day and he's getting on in yours.
Speaker 1: He's old, but he's still known in the same way that like Michael Jordan's known because of his products and his name and his branding. He's still really known. But yeah, that'd be quite the charge. You're skateboarding on a summer afternoon and Tony Hawk is whipping around next to you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it'd be like Jack Nicholas standing next to me on the driving range. I think it would just put my clubs away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not doing this. I'm not gonna let you see me swing. But we do four hours every day. If you miss a segment or an hour, get the podcast Armstrong and Getty on demand. You should subscribe Armstrong and Getty