Speaker 1: Hey, y'all.
Speaker 2: Is Laurena Rosa with the latest with Laurena Rosa on Black Effects and I cannot wait to see you guys at the fourth Annual Black Effect Podcast Festival. Okay, we're coming back to Atlanta, Georgia on Saturday, April twenty fifth at Palman Yards and it's hosted by me alongside DJ MV and charlottagnea God. We got drink chances of Noriega and DJAFM. We gotta keep it positive, Sweetye with My Girl, Christopher Nee Hayslt. We got Reality with the King with My Guide, then my brother Carlos King, and y'all know he does reality commentary like nobody can now. We also have Don't Call Me White Girl, the podcast I Love Mona and Club five twenty podcasts, along with the Grits and Eggs podcast.
Speaker 3: So this lineup sack Baby, turn up.
Speaker 2: You're also gonna want to check out the panels that we have lined up too, Feature and Cab on Stage, Pika Sumpter, and John Hope Bryant just to name a few.
Speaker 3: Of course, it's way bigger than podcast.
Speaker 2: We're bringing the Black Effect marketplace with black owned businesses, bus the food truck court to keep you fed while you visit us.
Speaker 3: Okay, listen, you don't want to miss this.
Speaker 2: Tap in and grab your ticket down at Black Effect dot Com Flash Podcast Festival. I'm a homegrow that knows a little bit about everything and everybody.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you don't lie about that, right Lauren, Hey, y'all, what's up.
Speaker 2: It's Laura l Rosa And this is another episode of the Latest with Laura l Rosa. This is your deli dive on all things pop culture and a timid news and all of the conversations that shape the room.
Speaker 3: Baby.
Speaker 2: Now today we're gonna hop right on into the Latest. Let's get on into some news. So first up, Kanye West. So you guys know, Kanye West has been attempting to I would say smooth things over, but I don't even think that it's the smooth things over at this point with fans, with you know, corporations, with arenas, with the world at this point. But Kanye West has been attempting to patch things up or do something of the sorts. So he set out to do a few shows.
Speaker 3: This year and they were over in Europe.
Speaker 2: These various concert dates were either canceled or postponed, or one and then the other due to a lot of the backlash from his anti Semitic remarks. Most recently, the show in Poland, which was supposed to be June nineteenth, was canceled after officials said that it was unacceptable to host him given his history of hate speech. They called it a deliberate crossing of boundaries. His show in Switzerland was canceled as well. He also found his show in London. In the UK, he was supposed to headline a few days at Wireless Festival, which is a huge festival. I was actually surprised to even see that he was headlining this festival, if I'm being honest. That was also canceled, and showing France that he was supposed to do as well. To eleventh was postponed and definitely following first it was postponed and then it was postponed, and definitely following a lot of the backlash that they were getting, a lot of the authorities were getting pressures pressure over there about him coming and performing. Now Wireless Festival, I say I was surprised about him even doing because a lot of these one off shows are like, you know, we always talk about like celebrity and celebrity culture and cancel culture in twenty twenty six, what that even looks like and if it's even honestly like a real thing, not even whether it's real, but whether it actually sticks and sustains enough to stop a person's business.
Speaker 3: Larger than their celebrity.
Speaker 2: You know, We've had these conversations with other artists, uh the Baby, but not for.
Speaker 3: The same reasons.
Speaker 2: Nick Cannon at one point was being, you know, put in this antestemitic conversation, and then you know he had went and had a conversation with a rabbi and kind of has moved forward since. But Kanye West, this is always been a bit of a different conversation for.
Speaker 3: Him because of his celebrity.
Speaker 2: Now, if I'm being honest, the reason why I say I was surprised to see him on Wireless Festival was because even though I know he has a cult audience, even though I know his celebrity to me and my opinion, still shines brighten a lot.
Speaker 3: Of the things that he's done, he said, which.
Speaker 2: Was proved by all of the sold out nights that he did prior to all of these shows at the Sofi. You know Arena in La Sofi, sayed him in La I just didn't think that a brand will honestly take the risk of getting behind him. You know those shows that he did at Sofi, these other shows outside of Wireless Fest, those were not one off because you know, they're big, they're planned, their stadium shows. You know, Kanye West brings people out, but so it's not like he's popping up at a hole in a while when I say one off, But it's Kanye West's name drawing the people out on festivals, it's a bit different. The sponsors look a bit different, you know. Know, things for the touring company, promotional company are set up a bit differently because of you know, you're coming behind someone's name, you're coming on someone else's merit. That is was a big surprise for me, especially to be headlining it. When I saw that announcement, that's when I was like, Okay, this is going to be the test on.
Speaker 3: Whether or not.
Speaker 2: A lot of people who were affected by the remarks that he made, a lot of Jewish people that were affected by the remarks that he made, whether we would see if you know they've forgiven and actually believe the apologies that he set out to give. Now that was proven to not be true. And I don't want to say that that one canceled, that one canceled festival and these other shows that surround it speak for all Jewish people, But I think that it was a good representation of the fact that there are still people in places that are able to make decisions, which is, you know what Kanye West was really against in the beginning. Who don't buy it? I mean, we saw him sat down with a rabbi almost about a year or so ago. He issued a letter of apology as an ad through the Wall Street Journal in the beginning of this year, and that was titled to those I've heard, And in that letter, Kanye West is talking to not just the Jewish community, He's talking to Black people as well too, because you know, we're part of this conversation in a big way. I don't think, in my opinion, I don't think we've seen him lean toward enough when it comes to apologizing overhear to us. But I think, you know, we've kind of like reaccepted him back into a lot of our spaces, and I know a lot of that conversation is like you know, it's like he's one of us, So how do we cast him to the side?
Speaker 3: Throw him away? But I know people who feel opposite. Now.
Speaker 2: In the letter that he posted to the Wall Street Journal back in January, he did mention, you know that a lot of his like episodes and things that we were seeing when he was on these anti Semitic rants, when he was degrading black people in our history came from, you know, a misdiagnosis of neurological issues and various medicines that he had been taking and you know, or or lack of and not wanting to get help for a lot of these things, which he said that he's corrected, but there's a lot of people that aren't buying it.
Speaker 3: And he's still on this apology tour.
Speaker 2: So Kanye West was spotted leaving the Simon Wisenthal Center in Beverly Hills Monday night, and TMZ tried to get some information from him about why he was there.
Speaker 3: Let's take a listen.
Speaker 2: What's up?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Hey, can I ask you what'd you last night at the class? Any thoughts on the festival being canceled?
Speaker 1: And the band.
Speaker 2: Thinks, now the Simon Wisenthal Center is a Jewish human rights organization. It was established back in seventy seven by Rabbi Marvin Higher. Here I may be saying that last name incorrectly, I apologize. The Center is known for Holocaust research in remembrance, hunting Nazi war criminals, combating anti Semitism, tolerance education, defending Israel in the Museum of Tolerance. So it's kind of obvious why he's there, even though we all do want to have a more definite answer of like what exactly he's doing, what exactly he's working through, and how he expects this to change anything for him in the public eye, especially because we've publicly seen him meet sit have conversations with the rabbis, conversations of which have been released to the public, and there's still this pushback. So you know, I just don't know what that boundary looks like for him.
Speaker 3: He's been able to really music.
Speaker 2: He released Bully finally that dropped and it did well. It did actually really well. But again, I think when you have those conversations about Kanye and him dropping music, it's not really a surprise as something like a Bully does well, because there's still that element of celebrity, which a lot of powers that be just can't take away from you. But when he released it, it released it on a March twenty seventh of this year, twenty twenty six. The lead single from it was Father, which was a song that he did with Travis Scott. He dropped the video for that as well, which his wife Bianka Sensori directed, and yet I mean it charted, It broke Spotify records. He had features, you know, there were Don Tolliver, Travis Scott's Heelo Green, Gamma is behind Him, which is Larry Jackson's label, and they're you know, very adamant and trying to you know, figure all of this stuff out.
Speaker 3: I got.
Speaker 2: There's my question is here is like, at what point does Kanye stop right like or does he like, is there a point where he has sat down, been educated enough, apologized enough, and now he's actually able to maneuver and move around in business and performance and all of these things in a way that he wants to or has he ruined that for himself so much that there's no coming back from it. That's like an honest question that I you know, would love to get an answer to and.
Speaker 3: To be honest with you.
Speaker 2: Like, one of the biggest things that I'm wondering is, like who even answers that question? Like there's no one unique body of people that answers that question. It's various. You know, there are various different people. When I say that things were canceled and there was pushback, there were various different people in different places who made these decisions not collectively but singlely made these decisions on their own based off of leading their people and wanting to protect their people and wanted to set a standard for their people.
Speaker 3: And you know, you can't be mad about that. But who answers that question?
Speaker 2: And watching Kanye West now and you know he's here in Beverly Hills now and he's you know, at learning and educating himself and you know, doing all the things right, what does that look like a year from now, two years from now, Like, is there going to be a un tapped like unbothered, there's no pushback, We're gonna allow you to come back and be Kanye West's moment For Kanye again, that leads into him just being able to go on and you know, say that he made a mistake or two or three or four or five or six and you know, be able to go on about his career. Is that possible. We'll keep you guys updated on what happens. I mean, there are still some shows that he has out of the US oude of the country that plan that he plans to go on and do so, I mean the Netherlands. At the same time with Poland, cans So said, hey, we don't agree with his anti semitism. It's disgusting, but that is no legal bounds for us to stop him from performing. So it's working in some places. And to be honest with you, like I've heard people say, you know, he's doing all of this to apologize to people of the Jewish community that have been affected by his words and his actions, but it's not enough to the black community. And after seeing him leaving this place in Beverly Hills, I kind of feel like I agree with that now.
Speaker 3: And I love Kanye West. I'm one of the.
Speaker 2: People that are like, look, we got who we got, you know what I mean, And you might not deal with them the same way, but to not deal with him at all, knowing what he means to us just creatively, but like, yes, it does need to be tamed. It does need to be educated, it does need to be kind of put in this not even team because I feel like artists in the word changes don't go hand in hand. But you know, there has to be some sense of response ability that we hold him to.
Speaker 3: That's what I mean. And what does that look like for us?
Speaker 2: You guys will remember we talked to Derek Johnson, who is CEO of the NAACP here on the latest with long Rods of the podcast.
Speaker 3: Please go check out that prior episode.
Speaker 2: From our first season because yes we are in season two and take a listen to that. And you know we talked to him about the fact that Kanye West hadn't even I mean, if we have premiere organizations that he would talk to, the NAACP would be that and they hadn't even received a phone call from him. And you know, we'll go back and check that, but at this time that that was what was fact. But what does he do to apologize even further for us and educate himself. I don't even think it's just about the apologies, It's about the change behavior. What do you guys think I want to hear from y'all? Take it to the streets and the tweets. I'm Lauren, the roads that everywhere l O r e N l O R O s A. Will Kanye West ever be able to return back to all things entertainment touring successfully or has he really done it for himself? And when I say that, I do say that loosely because Kanye is still making money awf of what he can do. Let's not get that apped up. Okay, let's we'll talk about it in another episode. Now before we get on out of here, I wanted to present you guys with an update, a very sad update. I actually was kind of going back and forth about whether or not to even report this or have a conversation about just because of how sad it it is. We did an interview with a mother. Her name is LaVette. She's from Warmington, Delaware, which is where I'm from, and we had a conversation about black and missing people and children and just the lack there that they, you know, their cases received when it comes to media attention, when it comes to police help, when it comes to finding our people.
Speaker 3: Let's take a listen to that.
Speaker 2: Interview, just just a quick listen to give you guys some background on her daughter, Aisha bent Hadifa, who was missing at the time. Because we have an update on Ayisha, let's sick.
Speaker 3: Listen.
Speaker 1: My name is live at Bryce. I'm looking for my daughter, August Benny Daeva. Her name is Aisha. She went missing. I live right here on South Franklin. She was last seen down here on Franklin and Elm. We've been out here every day since the twenty second looking for.
Speaker 2: I'm sad to report that Ayisha was found, but she was not found alive. She was found deceased a few days ago here in New York City. There's no current additional details as to why she was in New York. You know that is a two hour drive in a car on a bus that is about two hours forty five minutes depending on the bus, same thing on a train, so you know that transportation of Aysha would have been very deliberate. And there's no update on you know, how she got here to New York. But her mother went live on Instagram because she's kind of been the only updates we've been receiving because the media hasn't really covered it a lot, to let us know that they found her baby and she was not alive.
Speaker 3: Let's take a listen to her mom.
Speaker 1: Said, I couldn't because I've been telling them and I've been asking, and I've been telling them. I've been going, like yo, going, got.
Speaker 3: Any tears left to cry?
Speaker 1: Because if they hadn't helped me from day one, I wouldn't be here today, man, like yo, Like I felt that shit.
Speaker 3: I felt that shit.
Speaker 1: I felt I felt it. I felt it. Man, y'all don't even understand when I say I know mine kids. I know my kids. Oh man, like yo, this can't be life.
Speaker 3: Yo.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I don't even got nothing, like I really don't. I'm gonna still look for the rest of them because it's not.
Speaker 3: It don't make sense.
Speaker 1: Like it don't make sense, yo, stay so adamant or kids just run away? And I know my baby like yo, I like yo, man, yo crazy yoa.
Speaker 2: This is not the outcome that we wanted, of course, you know what I mean. Like when you hear stories like this, and you know, Aisha was a baby still she was only nineteen years old. When you hear stories like this, nobody should have to bury their child. Nobody should have to bury their child. And you know, I'm sure her mother is living with so many I wish I would have. I wish I could have. You know, she was screaming at the top of her lung for help anywhere she could get it. I haven't spoken to her on the phone. I called her the day after I saw the video. I just kind of wanted to give her, like a day. I figured everybody would be reaching out to her just to you know, send my condolences and send her some love. And didn't hear back from her. And then a few days later I just shot our text and was just like, hey, you know, thinking about you again today, sending you some love. And she was very appreciative of the podcast, and you guys as the low riders in the podcast community and everybody that you know reached out to her following our episode in our interview with information or you know, whatever you guys could do, just support repost of her daughter's photo when she was still looking for her daughter, she says, you know the podcast community. In that interview, literally her words were, good morning. I just want to say thank you. You helped us in ways you don't even know. Just so you know, I am not done, she had told us during that interview, and again you guys can go back and check out that full interview season one one of our previous episodes of the Latest with Lauren la Rowse of the podcast, she had told us that, you know, once she found her baby, her mission was not complete. She wanted to help other mothers, other parents, you know, other people, families who were going through this, missing people that look like us, these black and brown people that look like us who were not receiving the attention, the care, the alerts, and a lot of things that they deserved. And it seems like that's the mission that she's going to continue on.
Speaker 3: So I let her know.
Speaker 2: You know, whenever you need the platform, feel free to give me a call. But man, this is not the ending that we wanted to hear at all. So we're sending her lots of love. If you're listening, we are with you. I send you a hug, some comfort. I know our words are not enough. It will never take the place of your child, and you know what you're going through right now, but sending you as much love and as much comfort and prayers as we can. I'm so sorry for your loss. This is you just never. This is as a reporter, this is never the ending of a follow up you want to report, but as a person, this is never something you want to see. I'll keep you guys posting on any further updates here.
Speaker 3: I'm Laura l. Rosa. This has been another episode of the Ladies with Laura Rosa. I tell you guys all the time.
Speaker 2: You guys could be anywhere with any old body, talking about all these things, but you choose to be right here, my lowriders. I'll catch you in my next episode.