Speaker 1: Hey, Howard, They're over eight million drivers in the state of Illinois. With that many people on the road, accidents are bound to occur. I'm Attorney Howard Ankin, and if you or someone you care about who's been involved in an auto rideshare trucking accident, I'm here to help. Call my office for a free consultation at three one two six million. I'm Hero when you need me. Injury Law made Personal. That's akin law.
Speaker 2: From your favorite source for Chicago White Sox talk, delivering news, interviews, analysis and more. This is The Sox Machine Podcast with your hosts Jim Margolis, James Began, and Josh Nelson.
Speaker 3: Hello, everyone, welcome to you a new episode of The Sox Machine. I'm your host Josh Nelson, and we are recording this episode Sunday night, June twenty eight, twenty twenty six, as the Chicago White Sox wrapped up another series win, this time against the Kansas City Royals. As they go forward to in this homestand winning both series against the Cleveland Guardians and the Royals, the White Sox are now forty three and thirty nine on the season, still tied for first place in the American League Central. In this show's rundown, we'll be talking about the White Sox twenty two run rampage that they had on Friday. Miguel Vargas had a big weekend Beyond just his Friday performance, he also had another home run on Sunday. Chase Mydraft and Jacob Gonzalez also had bounced back weekends, and Sir Anthony Dominguez gets an easy runway. Joining me on the Sox Machine podcast, The Sox Machines be reporter James Vegan and managing editor Jim Margolis, and Hello gentlemen. The White Sox had a successful home stand. Yes, it'd been great if they would have found a way to sweep Cleveland, and they had another opportunity to get another sweep against Kansas City this weekend, but to go four and two against the division foes be forty three and thirty nine and still be tied for first place in the American League Central. I still view these outcomes for the White Sox as a positive. But James, we saw one of the best offensive explosions, especially in the history that we've been doing this podcast, and it looks like in our lifetime when the White Sox score twenty two runs on Friday. Ten of those came in the third inning, and it was a lot of fun to be in the stands to watch that one unfold.
Speaker 4: What was it like for you, James?
Speaker 3: Then going into the clubhouse to talking to the White Sox players after they scored twenty two runs sounds.
Speaker 5: Like another game.
Speaker 6: There were reasons like it wasn't like all the way like jacked up, I mean more than like just normal like Samlin one, he now has like gotten thirty seven runs of support and two home starts, so this is normal for him, but also like he probably had been told or had indications that he's getting optioned already, so he was happy with his outing, but wasn't like over the moon overall. Chase Mydrath, who was like playing all out on the final out, was very much like, yeah, this is what we do. We played the final out out and kind of still in his Chase my Drath intensity mode rather than like, wow, what a super fun like night. There are no rules, We're gonna live forever, anything like some new tone that he doesn't usually speak in. Tristan Peters was pretty like happy, but Tristan Peters was like a subdue guy like him talking openly about hitting for power and saying, like what was your goal and that grand slam and just like hit it as hard as possible. But I feel like that was even more just indicative of what their approaches early in the counts that they talk about. Then it was like, you know, them feeling their oats in some big way. And you know, Jacob Gonzalez is pretty happy to like have gotten out of like he had just snapped an over twenty eight not too long ago, so he was kind of spent some more time like explaining like a little like guys kind of like slip in and out of the mechanics over the course of the year. So as much as like his off, his whole season is defined by how he figured out how to rotate his hips since and like keep his weight back and then in a way that he wasn't able.
Speaker 5: To do before he had.
Speaker 6: He'd just like recently had some session with Ryan Fuller where they had explained how he had kind of like fallen out of his timing for it and corrected it. So he was like explaining that in terms of like you know, obviously what we hope is, you know, a recent upturn in the last couple of games that he's shown or he hopes so it was not like super like bouncy or like more aesthetic than any of their walkoffs. I think they all kind of I had like there's been a general line of positivity throughout and they all had kind of like maybe their individual reasons to be what they were, but they weren't like, oh Man, especially Will Venible is like super even keeled in the kind of mirror him in that way. They were just like, yeah, that was a good night. If anything, kind of struggled to repeat the same offensive, dominant dominance, you know, throughout the weekend.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they could have bowled some of those runs.
Speaker 3: A twelve to one victory would have been fine if they could spread out the other ten runs over the two games, but unfortunately it doesn't work that way.
Speaker 6: But well, I asked Will about that a little bit, Like is their point of just kind of spreading it on a little bit just because like you made them use so many relievers. They use eight relievers that night, and like ideally it would have but just like their efforts to basically have Michael Waka stretch and cover the whole bullpen on Saturday, work, and then pretty much everyone or a lot of guys got a little bit of redemption. Maybe not Schreiber. I don't think he's going to be looking at the series in any kind of fond way soon. But you know, guys like Alex Laying and Beckway came back to throw pretty well against them, and Stephen Cruiz is pretty good against the Friday and Sunday So maybe more some isolated guys having incredibly bad Friday nights more than you know, total dominance of the Royals.
Speaker 3: Well, Jim. With this series win for the White Sox, they also win the season series against the Kansas City Royals for the first time in six years.
Speaker 4: The last time the White Sox won a.
Speaker 3: Season series against Kansas City was back in the COVID season twenty twenty, when the White Sox were nine to one against Kansas City. And the White Sox now against American League Central opponents, they're sixteen to ten, which is outstanding, and I think it's getting pretty close to already matching their win total against division opponents even last year. So great start for the White Sox in the division, and with this early season success against the Tigers the Royals, the Twins and the Guardians. Does this give you confidence ends that the White Sox won't fade in the second half.
Speaker 7: Guess we'll see how the road record goes. You know, it's been pretty uneven in terms of especially how they pitch home and away to know exactly what their staying power is over the course of a season, over course of a whole slate of opponents versus just isolated weekends.
Speaker 8: Or three game series here or there.
Speaker 7: I will say that like they've with winning the series against Kansas City, they've accomplished what they needed to and that's like they have to topple their division opponents in order to spring a surprise on the American League postseason picture. And that, you know, baseball being a zero some game, you got to win those games against the teams that we're supposed to finish ahead of you. And basically the entire Central was supposed to finish ahead of them. So they are doing what they need to do to sneak into a spot. Perhaps they won't even sneak into it, maybe they'll win the division or you know, win a second wildcard berth because right now the Ale West looks like a mess. So I think it's a little premature to say, like, yeah, beating the Royals means something greater than just taking advantage of a bad team, while they're clearly just trying to find anybody who can get out, you know, late in the games and figure out a rotation work around Bobby Wits injury. But yeah, I think coming up this this series in Cleveland will be I think a better series to hang.
Speaker 8: This conversation on.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's that's fair.
Speaker 3: They are halfway through their division games for the season and being sixteen to ten. I think that again, it's another good sign for the White Sox and it's a big reason why there are already four games above five hundred this year. Hopefully that trend continues for the Chicago White Sox. Now, Miguel Vargus had a huge weekend. There's so many players to highlight, and if we did the highlight on everyone that was successful offensively this weekend, this would be a two hour podcast. But Miguel Vargas went six four eleven against the Royals. He had two homers, seven RBIs, he walked three times, he only struck out once, and James, you have asked Miguel many times this season, now that he has nineteen home runs in the year about his power production, and he's been consistent. He has said that he's not aiming or looking to hit for home runs. He's just trying to make the best contact possible. But Miguel Vargas is now on base at thirty seven home runs this season. Is this just Vargas figuring out his own hitting zone or knowing his spots to maximize his a swing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean he's not hitting for home runs in the sense that like no one just like swings and like thinks home run please, Like what it's.
Speaker 4: More like who's got thirty now?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 6: Yeah, Like I'm trying to drive the ball in the air and like hopefully good outcomes will happen. Like he's clearly taking like times, like a lighter rip that's like entered into his game in early incounts and you know, seeing his aggressive swings where like his bat speed spikes over like maybe more two strikes where he's trying to put them all in play like he's.
Speaker 5: Trying to sluck. Now.
Speaker 6: He doesn't like want to define his success that way, and that's something that he says has been like actively encouraged, like from you know, Showman and the Company for like the whole season, So like there's certainly approach element to it, but obviously he also added like a ton of bat speed in the off season was a result of, like he thinks, mostly the conditioning and getting stronger, but you know, that was something that clearly was intentional and he's clearly like seeing the results of that's given him just like more capability to make more out of like the contact that he you know, we obviously saw him starting to make a little bit last year, and his approach has only gotten better.
Speaker 5: He's chasing.
Speaker 6: He was already like a good like play discipline guy, but like he's been top ten with the lowest chase rate in baseball like all season. I don't know if it's like exactly there now, but I bet it's probably in that area. Like everything to him has like gotten a little bit better and made him more capable. Like, yes, he's a he's his approach has maybe shifted to maximize that, but that's because these skills have grown up where there's something to maximize, Like if he did this in twenty twenty four, when it produced results, it's like building on top of like the pillars to his game that he's strengthened over the past two years.
Speaker 3: And I think the White Sox if Vargas it's another home run, Jim, I believe that would give him three players with twenty or more home.
Speaker 4: Runs before the All Star Break.
Speaker 3: And last time they did that was back in two thousand and six, so that's pretty special. As far as again, what's helping fuel this White Sox turnaround is the offense and especially especially in the slugging side. And I guess even from my perspective, I'm a bit surprised that Vargas already has nineteen home runs.
Speaker 4: He'd be great if he did get to thirty seven homers.
Speaker 3: I didn't even think that was even a possibility for him.
Speaker 4: And he's breaking all of the.
Speaker 3: Preseason computer projections. But at the preseason we were a bit unsure about Vargas's future with the White Sox. This was a big season for him for everyone to gain some confidence that, yeah, you can count on Vargas being part of the twenty twenty seven to twenty twenty eight plans. Now, after the first half of the season, and even after this big weekend against the Royals, are you more confident to write Vargas's name in pen for future roster construction.
Speaker 8: Oh certainly. Yeah.
Speaker 7: Before the season, he was a good player, like a solid player. I would call him a second division regular, and that like if he's starting for you, it's not terrible, but you could easily upgrade. And also he's hard to compliment on a roster, like he's not obvious platoon candidates. He's not especially strong defensively. He's you know, good at first base, I would say, but maybe doesn't hit like a first baseman.
Speaker 8: He was below average a third base and maybe didn't hit.
Speaker 7: So he's just kind of this like ordinary player who is a major leaguer in some fashion, but maybe not somebody can plan around. And like you said, like he's blowing away projections, even like the ninety ninth percentile projection in Pakoda nowhere close to what he's doing with the White Sox. So really their best case scenario did not see this coming. And that's one reason I think why.
Speaker 8: You know they're they have a winning record in first.
Speaker 7: Place when they had a single digits low single digits percentage of making the postseason according to projections. You know, with the White Sox probably likely drafting a shortstop of some kind number one overall, you know, you have some idea of like the infield might get crowded. But like as I wrote about the Minor Keys a couple of days ago, Caleb Bonomer is having a really rough defensive season, both at shortstop and third base. Like he's already matches air total with forty games fewer than forty games fewer than he had last year. So it's case of maybe it's like you know level or body, you know, athleticism, et cetera, that's uh, or maybe just you know, could be in defensive slump. But if he moves to first base or outfield, and all of a sudden, like there is an extra a couple of years where you need a third baseman and Vargas fits that bill. Uh, you know, Murakami only under contract for another year and we'll see what happens with that. But like you know, DHD first base, there's opening there so lots of room for him that maybe didn't anticipates even before you get to his production being you know, maybe the most valuable of the production of the White Sox, you know, not only in terms of war, Like maybe maybe Murakami's up there in terms of his impact on power when he's healthy, but right now he's not healthy, and Vargas is healthy and playing damn near every day. So yeah, he's got the case for the most valuable White Sox. And it's really interesting that like his name hasn't really come up when it comes to extensions. Like you hear all about, oh, they got to sign Mooney, they got to make sure they keep him around, like Colson, you know, what's his price, And you really haven't heard much about Vargas, but you look at the stat cast age and it's basically like all red aside from like some you know, fiftieth percent fortieth percent el for like defense, which is fine, like you know, otherwise he's killing it offensively.
Speaker 8: It's like really sturdy the way he's built this offensive profile.
Speaker 7: Certainly a personality that James has spoken about that people seem to gravitate around. He's like, guess, one of the centers of the clubhouse and kind of a bridge guy in the clubhouse given that.
Speaker 8: He's bilingual, so he's got that going for him.
Speaker 7: So, like, I'm surprised that you don't hear much about like extend Vargas the way that you do about a couple other guys and maybe just kind of snuck up on everybody. And it hasn't quite overwritten the kind of ordinary he was last year in the disaster he was yea two years ago that you know, it's you know, you have to update some priors, but yeah, it's he's you know, it's rock solid the offensive production, and now it's just a matter of like, is anybody gonna challenge him?
Speaker 8: And you have to get to.
Speaker 7: The point where you're teaming with shortstops in triple A, probably in order to consider moving Vargas off third base and figure out what to do with them or what to do with anybody else.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because with Vargas and Montgomery, to your point, Jim, they continued to raise the bar at the beginning of the year, Like when the White Sox won the draft lottery, it's like, oh, yeah, Rock Scholowski's got an easy path. He might be able to join the White Sox. Before the end of the twenty twenty sixth season, we have no idea what the White Sox have at shortened third and now it's like, oh, we have a very good understanding of what the White Sox have at short at third, they could have potential All Stars, like every year, could be part of the All Star conversation. Every year they're gonna hit thirty or more home runs. And to Colson's case, you know he's been playing. He had a tough series against the Royalist defensively, I thought this weekend, But for the most part, he's been very good defensively. And do any of us want to envision a future of the White Sox without Munataka Murakami And he's still got Sam Antonacchi and Chase my draft that second, Yeah, Jim, the bar continues to get raised for all these White Sox prospects with how well Miguel Vargas and Coles Montgomery have played. I just now I feel like Jim. If Fargas doesn't make the All Star team with the players voting, I then I'm going.
Speaker 4: To be angry.
Speaker 3: I am going to be angry about the All Star Game if Vargus is not on that team. Fair enough, I'll be angry if the White Sox just only have one representative period.
Speaker 4: But I'm sure many.
Speaker 6: Of you as well podcast investment reasons for that or oh I do not.
Speaker 1: I do not.
Speaker 4: Do not have any prop bets. I'm going to lean off that because the Players Association doesn't want to James.
Speaker 5: To travel budget expends.
Speaker 3: Yes that, yes, it'd be great if James could talk to someone.
Speaker 5: You took it to level.
Speaker 4: That's true, I'm not crooked.
Speaker 3: Oh well, in our previous episode, when we previewed this series to the White Sox at Royals, we had a segment about guys who needed a big weekend against the Royals.
Speaker 4: So let's recap that.
Speaker 3: And this is a great way to set up the stage for Sir Anthony Domingus.
Speaker 4: James did. The White Sox didn't really need Domingus.
Speaker 3: On Friday, they didn't need much on Friday. Saturday, Grant Taylor was awesome. That's from the best we've seen Grant Taylor, I think.
Speaker 4: And yeah, Sean.
Speaker 3: Newcome gave up a run. But you know that whole bridge from Davis Martin, Sean Newcome and Grant Taylor. I think it's probably the White Sox a game plan in closing out games. So on Sunday, Dimingus comes in, the White Sox are already down and he does pitch a scoreless inning. How did you feel about the way that he pitched on Sunday, And how did dimingus feel about that particular situation that he pitched in.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean he looked a bit better.
Speaker 6: He certainly wasn't falling behind as much, but yeah, it was more that I mean, he in some sense he pitched certainly as well as he had you know, over a week he struck up Bobby wit So that looker, and he certainly feeled uppy about that. But obviously the noteworthy part of it was that he came in the sixth inning. There's really no dressing it up as even like even medium leverage of what he entered into. And Zach Bob kind of said it before the game in a way that like we weren't sure, Like we asked like could he appear in lower leverage and he didn't like say like, yes, that's what's going to happen, But he's like, eh, maybe in a way that we're like, well, it was that kind of a wires cross thing. But then he appeared in the sixth and Will Venables said postgame like, yeah, we told him was coming earlier in the week, and Sir Anthony was around down with the you know, basically the same he confirmed the same version like, yeah, I got told it. It seems like I think like certainly anyone seen like the closer kind of complained or the reliever kind of complained at all about like I expect to be the closer as he did, though I thought he did it like an even handed fashion, like it was a surprise more than like I'm upset or like I demand making demands to be back. He like said multiple times like I'll do whatever it's needed for the team. He just kind of I thought was honest about being a little miffed, which I thought was like he's reading the situation correctly. He's not being used as a normal closer for this, I think, especially with the way he spoke after the blown save on Monday, he was very like, I have blown too straight saves. Sometimes it's not a good moment for me right now, And I think is what exactly what he said. He's responded in kind like, yeah, they used me low leverage after I blew like a couple saves. Like I think he's understanding it as something that you know, followed from his performance and accepted it. At least from what he said to us, is he's playing a good face about it, and you know, he went out there and performed, So I think he's handling it how he should be, or you know how you'd want handy one to be, like not to say what he should do. I think they're real, you know, thing that's still has to be resolved in or still provides anxiety. He's like, is he going to perform? Is he gonna be insistent, like talking to Bob ahead of time, like about his arm action and get him on time. Like yeah, he's you know, super mobile and and springy and like and loose and like this gives him like extension on his pitches and like can make like as part of why he throws hard and makes them good. But it's a little tricky to get this guy timed up. He can get out of whack kind of easily. And I think that's kind of reflected in Sir Anthony's career numbers for why you could scrutinize, like, all right, maybe the highs are going to be high, but he's never gonna necessarily be Is he ever gonna be necessarily this close or consistent like Rock who's like on his game for like six months straight. It's probably gonna be down periods with that side of a profile. They're betting on the stuff, And I get that from a you know, is this really ever going to be usable for two years philosophy? It's probably easier to you know, get this guy in a in a good space of command than it is to you know, bring back an old reliever lo his fastball, like that's kind of doesn't come back when it does.
Speaker 5: But are there gonna be these.
Speaker 6: Swings in his command that make him like just not eighth and ninth inning suitable for stretches of time? And are you going to want to grit them out for the sake of like the guy you can talk yourself into being a closer when he's on, or are you're gonna look at Grant Taylor and look like, hey, that looks pretty ready to go. Maybe that's who we're gonna use in the biggest moments. And the how flexible Venable is in his leverage use where he's often attacking the seventh or eighth like it is a save I think allows him to skirt by a little bit the idea of like a definition closer because he's already like throwing his best weapon too.
Speaker 5: The situation and he can turn and.
Speaker 6: Be like, yeah, it's the ninth for you, Sir Anthony, have at it back up the save when his clear preference for like his top right handed weapon still is visible to us and you know, to the team as well. That's maybe a long term concern if this is the they are taking it more of the immediate approach of like, let's get Sir Anthony right. This is ideally one of our four leverage arms. You know, Jordan Hicks looked pretty good the last couple of times out, Chris Murphy had been looking good as last few three four outings. I mean, I think you're still more like, is he gonna be? That's probably someone who are hoping graduates the medium leverage, not not even in this like kind of four person conversation just yet. But they it's not really settled. There's not a lot of obvious like here guys are going to lengthen out our leverage group. Getting Sir Anthony back is a project that they seemingly need to get grown right at some point, if only to make the situation tenable in terms of like having another year and a half of like wanting to get value out of this guy who signed to be a closer. Looks like a step forward for that. As many wide ranging scenarios and you know, variables, I just threw into analyzing the four hitters he faced on Sunday.
Speaker 3: Grant Talor only threw one ball, right, like what nineteen strikeouts or eighteen strikeout?
Speaker 6: Nineteen strikes? I think it was like fifteen or sixteen, because I remember like in the press box going no, and it was like sixteen and nothing. But yeah, yeah, he was on it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, strikes not strikeouts.
Speaker 3: I apologize, Jim, your guy, your victor click to have a big weekend against the Royals was Chase my draft, and my draft had a huge Friday. He had four hits and he walked. He went six for twelve against Boyles with two walks. That doubles his walk total from his last fifteen games. So I view this as good signs from Chase my draft this weekend, Jim, and hopefully he gets on a roll. What did you think about my draft this weekend?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean he's striking out way more than he should. And you know, it wouldn't be the first time that somebody had an adjustment that.
Speaker 8: Was working for him and started not working for him.
Speaker 7: But still with some results to where when do you start changing back versus when do you you know, keep hacking through and you know figure out like where the limit actually is. And you know you saw him, I guess, easing up more, you know, using more of the whole field, not swinging missing so much. So that's probably more of his game, is you know, moving the ball around.
Speaker 8: Certainly you don't want to do that on.
Speaker 7: A one zero count, you know, settling for opsonfield singles, Like, you know, there's a balance still to strike. He's gotten enough from these first eighty one games to where like there's something here with hitting for more power and really making himself a credible starting second basement on a good team, to where like he shouldn't.
Speaker 5: Give it up.
Speaker 7: But yeah, probably a little bit of like toggling some some dials a little bit to understand, you know, how much can I possibly get out of the power game and then how much is my swing miss actually costing me?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Friday was a very impressive game. Great bounce back by my draw. Then I think he even told you James as well in the post game that he worked with Derek Showman the White Sox hitting coach, just to work on some mental things, waiting for the ball to get deeper in the zone to make better contact than what his plan was in the previous fifteen games where he was in a slump.
Speaker 6: Just like kind of I think his season, especially the first like success and he had in May, was about like opening up and trying to drive the ball a bit more and accepting more swing and miss. This is catching the ball out front of with that too, to elevate it. I think this is a bit more recalibrating towards the contact. Shoot the ball to the right field version of my drop we've seen before. And it's not like he's giving up on slugging ways and he's come back.
Speaker 5: He's straight and it will never go away again.
Speaker 6: It was more just like, sure, all right, maybe I've gone too far to one end a little bit, and I'm going to do back to basics to get some feelings that I'm used to at the plate. So that's generally the tone he was striking. I don't think it's going to be like he'll never swing hard again. He's sworn it off for good.
Speaker 4: My vig was Jacob Gonzalez. He had a big Friday he went three for four with a home run. He had five RBIs in that game, and he had a walkoff hit on Saturday.
Speaker 3: But I winna Tako Murakami sounds like he's running at eighty five percent capacity right now, and if Munataka Murakami gets healthier, could be rejoining the White Sox sooner than later. I don't know what the White Sox do with Jacob Gonzalez. I think this has been a nice cup of coffee for Gonzales, so that if Murakami does rejoin the team, if Gonzales goes back to Charlotte, I think, you know, there are some things offensively to be a little bit more consistent that he could work on, especially on pitches up.
Speaker 4: In the zone.
Speaker 3: But for a while I was thinking, guys that this was going to be a bust. This was going to be a first round pick that was never going to reach the major leagues. And I give a lot of credit to Gonzales for keeping up with it and making the adjustments. Jim, I know you've seen him more in action than I have, and to be able to provide these positive results. It's not just in Charlotte this year. With the amount of home runs that he had, but still having these moments as well in the major league level with the White Sox. I've been impressed in the turnaround of Jabon Gonzalez this season.
Speaker 8: H Yeah, question for James.
Speaker 7: When Gonzalez is going into his hitting mechanics, was he talking to you or is he talking to everybody?
Speaker 5: Everybody?
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's what was surprising when I talked to him in Charlotte the first time, like I'd never met him before, Like he was getting detailed, uh with me in a way that like a lot of guys don't see a lot of guys will make offhand just kind of general references to made some changes, and then you have to see, you know, kind of follow up with a question two to see how much they're willing to divulge, or how much they're they have a vocabulary for it, or how much they really care about, you know, giving information to me specifically a guy they just met. And Yeah, Gonzalez without like prompting, really detailed and telling me like what he was doing with his weight, especially at that point, it was more about, you know, keep trying to keep his weight back in his direction and the battle between uh going too far to right field and trying to feel comfortable with that, and I was, yeah, I was really surprised that he was uh so forthcoming, And yeah, just seems like his default mode to open up whenever somebody asked him a question, which could be worrisome in a way, like the Paul Kinerko strain of constant tinkering or constant like never feeling comfortable and hating it. But certainly it seems like this year has been the one where, like the the changes of changes have stuck and there's actually been you know, the the kind of power, least quality of contact that was expected from him on draft day.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he likes physical demos.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 6: Like, well he'll he'll, he'll min it out and Okay, it's mostly like swing but like in Detroit, uh you know with his throw home and like he's sitting he's standing like in this scrum and like all these like dejected teammates are in the chairs around him, and he's like, mind me out, like being up in the air to get the and like throwing home and how much time it would take if he got down and had to fire and why he like just did it right off the bat. And he's like reaching things, almost touching the ceiling, and it's like this is very involved. Yeah, it's like I still know like how you got to this decision, but like I kind of do, like you've walked me through every step of it and now it has like more credibility just because like you drew it out to this degree. So yeah, he's enjoyable.
Speaker 5: And I mean he just.
Speaker 6: Did the thing on Saturday where he explained like why he Chase My drop was like basically in his batter's eye and the ball is coming out of nowhere. You know, you you talked about like Paul can earic really like I think it's not because it's not like super ponderous. It's just very matter of fact in a way that's like not he didn't. He doesn't have like a hundred words to tell you about why. Like the the like the release point of John Schreiber was like in Chase's Mitroosh Jersey and kind of move over. It's just like, yeah, he was taking a small lead, so you know, I just waved him over. Yeah, it seemed like the thing to do. It's like have you ever done that before? It's like I guess not like he thought to do that in the middle of games, like, well, I couldn't see it.
Speaker 5: So he's like very like just direct to communicator as pragmatic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's also kind of funny his walk off, they'd be like, this is my first walk off ever. I thought that was a great postgame press walk off.
Speaker 5: Sack flies, walk off crowd, never walk off it.
Speaker 8: So he had the.
Speaker 7: RBI ground out highlight. Right is his draft season right the White Sox shirt?
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah, yeah, so that the line about like this is my favorite birthday, well other than other than the first one.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, Well again, a good weekend for the White Sox. Sure they had a chance to sweep the Royal Sales, had a chance to sweep the Guardians, but in a surprise of all surprise seasons for the Chicago White Sox in twenty twenty six to go four and against the Visual Bonits in their home stand.
Speaker 4: That got the job done.
Speaker 2: Howard, my husband fell at a construction site.
Speaker 3: I knew it wasn't safe.
Speaker 1: And Akin Lack, we're one of the largest filers of workers' compensation claims in the state. If you've been hurt on the job, in a car accident, or suffered a medical mistake called three one two six million.
Speaker 3: Now the Chicago White Sox head out east to the Baltimore to Baltimore, Maryland to face the Baltimore Orioles and the American League East. If you are not the New York Yankees or the tam Bay Rays, this season is going to hell fast. The Orioles are thirty nine and forty six. They're fourth place in the American League East. There are eleven games back of first place. The only reason why they have any hope is that there are only four teams in the American League with a winning record, so they're three games back at the wild card right now.
Speaker 4: Even though they lost.
Speaker 3: Their last two games, they are four and six in their last ten. Of course, like many teams in Major League Baseball, they do have a winning record at home. They are twenty three and twenty one at Camden Yards. And for the season series, if you recall, the Baltimore Orioles swept the Chicago White Sox at Rate Field, and we'll talk a little bit more about that. The White Sox have lost nine consecutive games against the Baltimore Orioles. Your probable pitchers for this series. Monday nights five, thirty pm Central Time. Sean Burke will take the ball for the White Sox against Shane Baz Tuesday night, Eric Betty, unless the White Sox have an opener, could be Trey Gibson will take the ball for the Orioles. And then on Wednesday, if you are working, this is a very early start eleven thirty.
Speaker 4: Five am Central Time.
Speaker 3: It is the two B determined verse two B determined pitching matchup for the White Sox and Orioles. We'll get into that pitching matchup in a moment, but Jim for me coming into this series and it's one of those that just sneaks up on you and just how poor I mean, the White Sox have played everyone poorly the last three years, but especially Baltimore, having lost nine straight games against the Orioles. What makes Baltimore so tough for the White Sox gym.
Speaker 7: I looked into this because I was, you know, kind of got into a rabbit hole. They went seven to zero against Baltimore in twenty twenty one and are five and twenty four since. So it's like you start with like regression. Uh, first of all, you know, really painful regression. So start there, you have like they played a lot of their games in September when the White Sox have traded their good players and kind of out of gas. The Orioles are playing for something the White Sox are not, so like it is a incentives maybe are mismatched.
Speaker 8: So you have that.
Speaker 7: Getting in the formula. But I think, you know, if you separate that out, I think probably the biggest factor is the Orioles. I think you know, they've hadn't necessarily had like the the deepest rotation, but they've gotten by with like bullpens and like high octanded arms.
Speaker 8: And I think the White Sox have just been.
Speaker 7: Easy to game plan around, like in the past several years, just because they don't have left handed hitters, or they have a very you know, outdated information that they're working with or you know, training, et cetera, to where just late game matchups are if not shooting fish in a barrel, just very easy to kind of plan around in pregame meetings and not really have to diverge from. And the reconfiguration of Camden Yards also didn't help. Like if you have right hand power and then you make left field like four hundred feet deeper, They've hit like one homer there, I think in the last three years, so like they haven't been able to hit homers with the right handed hitters at that park. And so if you're hitting fly balls that aren't like if you have Andrew Vaughan pre Milwaukee form to where like he just he's not gonna hit four hundred and forty foot blasts like he hits tends to be like well struck fly balls that you land.
Speaker 8: Three rows deep. You know, he's not rewarded for that in that park.
Speaker 7: And then you just kind of go on and on and on. So I think it's just kind of a confluence of factors. But I think just probably the you know, what I'm most looking forward to with this series is, you know, one seeing like the Will Venerable versus Craig Albernas matchups, since Alburnez.
Speaker 1: Was a.
Speaker 7: Not quite finals so I guess he took himself out of the running before he got to that point, but the White Sox were interested in him, and I think alburn has said no, h So you have that as a little bit of intrigue. But also just with how frenetic Venerable is with mixing and matching and pinch hitting, Will that make a difference when you have left handed hitters who can counteract right a handed pitchers, and then you have right handed hitters who can when you bring the lefty, you have an answer for them. Will that make a difference in how these games haven't folded versus the last three years?
Speaker 3: And then four that Wednesday Pitchy matchup the morning special to be determined for the White Sox. James, is this going to be another Bullbend game? Or could we see the return of Noah Schultz?
Speaker 6: You will see the return of Noah Schultz. Like they can't officially say it, they've all but said it. There starts the slot. Last look, they literally had the rehab in the Salem started the same day. They wouldn't have sent Salem down if there was any real doubt in their mind that shows will be ready.
Speaker 5: It's gonna be Schultz.
Speaker 4: Okay, what should we expect from Schultz?
Speaker 5: I guess?
Speaker 3: I mean, are they going to hope that he can go at least five innings?
Speaker 6: I imagine he'd be in the eighty five to ninety territory. I think an It's seen by Anthony Kay on Sunday is dictated by performance. You can't just force someone to the five inning finish line, and generally just this management group as coaching staff is not just going to be forcing a struggling pitcher a third times with the order. Sure, so I think that governor would be on it. But as far as like building off like fifteen to twenty from his last time out, when I talked to Noah right before he went out and rehab, one was I guess the testament to him feeling healthy that he like was just talking about pitches he was working on more than like my repeated like so you're feeling all right follow ups, But he was trying to work on kind of a different version of a sweeper that would be more vertical and does play better to right handers. That he's shown the ability to kind of vary up shapes of his slider in the past, trying to get back to that he wants he's got the four seamer to the add the north part of adding north south to his east west attack.
Speaker 5: He needs something that's south.
Speaker 6: They're hoping the slider takes that burden up by showing some ability to make it kind of like what anything K was able to do to be better against right handers. Obviously not a recent great example, but he's got kind of a more true slider version of the sweeper that he turns out to the opposite hand hitters. Seems like Schultz kind of going after the same thing, but it's also kind of shown it in the past, and it's more just kind of getting him right and figuring out how to throw it now that is me is hopefully not going to bother him going forward.
Speaker 5: So that's how that plays.
Speaker 6: The right handers would be the thing to watch to cover out.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, so I'm going to look forward to White Sox fans that Wednesday morning start with Noah Schultz taking the ball right before the White Sox head to Cleveland for a very important four game series over the fourth of July weekend. We'll see what the weather is like in Cleveland as we are all getting heat warnings in Chicago as a big heat dome is rolling through. So probably good thing that the White Sox are not at home this upcoming week. And before we conclude, as far as his series wrap and also this episode of the podcast who Needs a Big Series against Baltimore Jim, I'll start with you, who's your pick to click who is when you'll be watching these three games against the Orioles.
Speaker 7: Feels like Colson Montgomery is every other series at this point, So just that seems like this is his time to be on.
Speaker 4: That's that is a good one.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna go with Tristan Peters if the White Sox are gonna be relying on these left handed hitters, If Tristan can provide those big hits, especially lad in games, try and hit the ball as hard as possible, could that be the difference in this series for the White Sox. I have a feeling we could be seen some high scoring games between the Orioles and White Sox this week. James, do you got one who needs a big series for the White Sox against the Orioles.
Speaker 6: I mean, the White Sox could certainly need Schultz to do well to stabilize their rotation, and they've kind of obviously made this choice to option Sandlin kind of banking on you Schultz is gonna hit the ground running or less and maybe uh Sunday was a reminder of like what it looks like when K's not on is a little bit of reiterating the need for another person to emerge, as like an above average consistent starter, Like they're kind of really heavily protected, like Fetti obviously was a more effective June, but it was kind of a heavily managed and how it was effective. They're multiple outings where they pull them shy of five innings, Like they're really kind of targeted like where they use him, and it's not a lot of third trips to the order, and it's certainly not going to be against lefties, So you're gonna need the other sides. You have Davis Martin, who you've been trying to like give extra rest to, you know, in light of how many innings he logged at the start of the season. So having someone else who's delivering six innings on a regular basis certainly very necessary. I know we just said Schultz, but I think that it's not so much he needs because I think personally Schultz, he's kind of like one of the comparisons of Randy Johnson would have is that there's a very long window for Schultz to be awesome. He is like an outlier frame, like he scuffled this whole year. I don't think it would mean like his profile is never gonna work or even be like impact. You know, he's ahead of schedule in many respects. Still, so the White Sox could really use like No Schultz, like taking the ball and run running with it going forward, like he's got a lot of potential to help them in an area where they really need the most help, you know, going into.
Speaker 3: The deadline, especially because when even though Sean Berke and Eric Eric Fetti are starting this series, they're going to have to start the Saturday and Sunday games against Cleveland right now unless the White Sox have other ideas in mind. This is a big week for the White Sox, seven straight games, no days off.
Speaker 4: We'll see on how they fare.
Speaker 3: We'll have our next Sox Machine podcast episode recapping this series between the White Sox and Orioles on Wednesday nights, and also look ahead to that very important fourth of July series between the White Sox and Guardians. But that will do it for this episode of the Sox Machine Podcast. Thank you guys so much for listening. If you just discover the Sox Machine Podcast, you can subscribe to the show wherever you listen to podcasts such as Spotify and Apple Music.
Speaker 4: Also check out our videos.
Speaker 3: We've been doing a lot of videos, especially when the White Sox are at home. At YouTube dot com slash sox Machine. If you do watch our videos, please subscribe button. We've gained a lot of subscribers this month and a lot more views, so thank you to everyone that's taken time to watch our videos on our YouTube channel at YouTube dot com slash socks Machine. You can even watch this show now on our YouTube channel, so please do so and again hit the subscribe button. Follow us on social media. We're on all the social media platforms at sox Machine. You can follow James at j rfigan. You can follow me at sox Machine, Underscore, Josh and Jim. When it comes to sox Machine subscriptions, do we still have the sale going on?
Speaker 8: Certainly do?
Speaker 7: And with them being four games of five hundred, do you have at least three more games to where the winning record sale will still be in effect? Yeah, still fifty two cents because they keep hovering around there, that's mark be it rounding up and rounding down.
Speaker 8: So yeah, come onboard, we're expecting you.
Speaker 3: Yes, so your first month fifty two cents. Every month after that may be part of the five dollars subscription they get to the ad free version of the podcast. The website unlocks the comments section as well. If you want more, you can get more. We have additional tiers of support, including our Veterance Committee, which our VC members are part of our group chat and they get to hear everything that's going to be coming to sox Machine and also all the gossip whispers, the gossipers that's coming out of the White Sox Clubhouse, that especially as we gather more intel for the MLP draft.
Speaker 4: So if you want to be part of that conversation.
Speaker 3: You get acquire within at soxmachine dot com Slash products. The Sox Machine Podcast is a production of Soxmachine dot Com.
Speaker 4: You're for Hall of Fame Chicago White.
Speaker 3: Sox Baseball alongside James Vegan and Jim Margolis.
Speaker 4: I'm Josh Nelson. Thanks for listening and watching