Speaker 1: This is Let's Be Clear with Shannon Doherty. Hi, everyone, welcome to another episode of Let's Be Clear with Shannon Doherty. So. I have somebody really interesting on the podcast today. He's a friend of mine, but he's also sort of, in my opinion, in most people's opinion, a sports legend. At this point, let's need the general manager of my favorite team, the Los Angeles Rams.
Speaker 2: Hi, how's it going. I don't know if I'm a legend, though I think that's your friend. Okay, there's legends.
Speaker 1: I don't know you're my friend, but you're I think everything that you've done with the Rams, particularly this last season, I personally think it puts you into legend category.
Speaker 2: Is this season better than the Super Bowl? No?
Speaker 1: I mean, but that's the thing, right, super Bowl two thousand twenty two. But so explain to people, because not everybody understands that how a draft works, and where where you are in a draft lineup, how teams get to pick first, second, third, fourth, fifth, all of that kind of stuff. Can you explain that?
Speaker 2: So the NFL is engineered right to try to have everyone have a fair chance. So if the better you are as a team, the later you pick in each round there's seven rounds, so there's thirty two teams. If you're the best team, if you're the Chiefs this year, you pick thirty two. Then the next round you pick sixty four. The next round sixty four plus thirty two is about ninety six. The worst team picks first, and then somewhere in between. There for the record, Now, what we had done in the past to probably compete for that Super Bowl is trade away a lot of our first round picks. So we've spent probably seven years not having a first round pick, but living in the second, third, four, fifth, sixth, seventh round.
Speaker 1: And what round were you for the twenty twenty three season.
Speaker 2: We were in the second.
Speaker 1: Round, and we did the draft house, and like, I didn't even understand the concept of a draft house and how extensive it is. There's computers everywhere. You've got some people in this room, some people in that room. You know, you're floating around, you're checking in on everything, and I was kind of blown away by the entire process. And then watching how you picked people was incredibly interesting to me, and being able to actually get them. You have a board, get a board, you have a board, you have a whole system.
Speaker 2: For your listeners. If you've ever played a sport in the backyard in your hometown, did you ever play kickball or something, or you're at school and you go, you know what, I.
Speaker 1: Was an athlete growing up there, I as you was one.
Speaker 2: It's very similar to being in your hometown and you're going to play a pickup game of basketball and you go, you know what, I'm picking Shannon first, and then somebody else. Pretty nice, they pretty much know that they're going to pick someone else second, and then you know, you flip a coin and who gets the first pick. But it's very similar. You have your board of how you rate football players, and at that point, when the chaos begins other people get to pick, you use that board to help make your help. Remember all the preparation that went into that draft day. So you think about draft is in late April. It's over three days Thursday night, Friday night, Saturday probably afternoon, so there's probably three sixty five minus those threes. There's three hundred and sixty two days of preparation for those three days. But the board represents in a concise manner all the work that went into each of those individuals, and as you know, humans are very complex people. Some of them are very skilled at football, but because of that complexity, you really really want to know the person as well before you make that pick, before you draft them, before you bring them on to help the Rams for at least four years and hopefully beyond.
Speaker 1: I remember you telling me that at the draft house, and you were really explaining that, you know, you could have somebody who's performing exceptionally well, but how important it is to know the person, what their longevity is, what their mindset is. Are they somebody who's going to crumble under pressure eventually or not? And it gave me a lot of pause because I don't know if a lot of other teams view it that way. Where and you know your category is if I'm allowed to talk about some of.
Speaker 2: Your categories, I can tell you this for the last three hundred and sixty five days, what you came into the if you call it our draft house, our draft room, and noticed we've discussed that for three hundred and sixty five days, probably not everyone, but the people that heard it, go, oh, would Shannon like to date this person? So you can go from there.
Speaker 1: Okay, well we're going to get into that in one second, because yeah, we'll get.
Speaker 2: Into the category. Yes, it's a tease for the audience.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're getting there, We're getting there, We're getting there. So I would say you picked some diamonds in the rough, or maybe to the outside world you picked some diamonds in the rough, but because of this board, perhaps they weren't diamonds in the rough to you. Like Puka for instance, was he a diamond in the rough?
Speaker 2: Considering where he was drafted? Fifth round? So against seven seven rounds, he's five, there's only two left in the draft, and for him to go and basically break all the rookie receiving records based on the results he had it during his rookie year, he would be considered a diming in the rough, not necessarily for the Rams. And I can't even say this. Every team in the NFL knew about Puka and they probably had him somewhere on their draft board. Now, at the end of the day, we can get into why it was a really really successful first year of marriage for us with Puka. But I'm not going to say no one knew about him, but all thirty two teams, including us, chose not to pick him in the first four rounds. We chose to do it in the fifth. Now I'll give you this nugget. We can go from there. He went to the Combine. So the Combines in Indianapolis, and that's where these college kids go once a year and they do non football drills. So there's no pads, there's no helmets, there's no route to run, no defender trying to cover him. So, if you know, Pokah is a very big, strong human being at receiver, so he is better since we're in La Lakers. He's one of those guys that the way he gets open is almost like a basketball player, like a Laker, like Shaquille O'Neill bodying up someone and getting a rebound. So point being is, he goes to Indianapolis and they just think about this. They're going to run basically a race where you're gonna get a blue ribbon red, you know, blue red or yell. He's not the fastest in a race for forty yards. So because of that knowledge and over the years of knowing that the slower receiver is usually the later, he goes in the draft. But because of that, we knew we probably could pick some other players before him. But we definitely wanted to pick Puoka at some point now based on the way he played, should have picked him earlier, should at least picked him in the fourth round.
Speaker 1: Right, I mean, he did insane things, but you also picked you know other what I would perceive for diamonds in the rough lake, I don't know. When I saw the team put together, I just like, wow, Like that's that's a really interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, cool thing about that rookie group. Kobe Turner drafted in the third round, Pookah in the fifth. They both finished let's call it second for an individual award to two players who were picked in the first round, So they both finished offensive rookie. They're Pukah second to c. J. Stroud who was Houston's QB, and Kobe to Will Anderson, who was also Houston's you know, outside linebacker. Point being, both of those players were probably picked in the top ten players of the draft, so usually those guys are expected to probably win those type of awards. But so it is neat that those two players, being you know where they were picked, if you want to call it, diamonds in the rough came in and said, wait a minute, look at me. Remember me, I can play football too.
Speaker 1: So it's meat and they did. I think the entire group of rookies that you had did an exceptional job in this season for the most part. Obviously, Puka stood out because our mutual friend Christy oh yeah, like just loves him, loves him, loves him, loves him. So it was adopted, adopted him, like started making him food. Well, what are the Hawaiian dish?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, the Hawaiian basically sushi made of spam. I mean the moment she made Puka.
Speaker 1: That, yes, Christy and Pooka bonded over their spam sushi thing that she made him all the time.
Speaker 2: We can get into Christie, but that's Christy being Christy, but Puka really appreciate. I can say this and we can get to it. It's the neat thing. Football is very similar to life, let's call it. We've got a lot of veteran players a little bit older in life and end of the day, right when you play into year seven, eight, nine, ten, you've pretty much made it, gotten a second contract, maybe even a third. Different levels of let's call it football money and wealth, but set for a lot of families. But the neat thing is just like life. Those players, they're veterans. They got a lot of noise in life, right, based on going through stuff that happens in life. You know, relationships that come and go, and let's call it parents that may come and go. So they're just going through stuff, even though you look at them on Sundays and go, oh, they're football players are having fun. But these rookies, it's like, wait a minute, they had made it, they had reached their dream, you know. So it's probably similar to your business where you could be a first time actress. You've kind of made it and it's the first time your own set with this.
Speaker 1: It's exciting twenty years yeah.
Speaker 2: Actor actress. But maybe they're You're like, wow, why are they not as excited about the.
Speaker 1: Way they're calm? They don't have a lot of nerves. They're used to it. And I'm like the hungry young buck that's like so stoked that I'm even there that maybe I try so much harder versus now. So I get what you're saying. Like the veterans, they're used to it. It's routine. It doesn't mean that they don't have passion for it still, but you know, they've seen a lot and by the way, the older you get, the more prone to injuries you are. I would imagine for me there would be a little bit of fear there that I know that the veterans must have to sort of psyche themselves out of of like, oh my god, you know, I don't want to get injured. I don't want to get sacked too hard. I don't want this. I don't want that because then if it's a serious injury, it puts them out of their career. They're done. Whereas the rookies, are they even thinking about stuff like that?
Speaker 2: Are they They're like, there was this energy that was very contagious and ignited, ignited us to have a let's call overchief from a season standpoint, Yeah, and it was pretty cool to take what they did on the field. That's important. They kind of what they brought, you know, in what we call the locker room right where you know, there's fifty three men from a lot of different places, a lot of different sociological backgrounds, ages, the whole deal, from all over the all over the United States. I think Jason Kelsey and we won't he just had a great retirement speech, but he said the NFL is like a place where a guy who went to Stanford can basically line up beside a guy who basically went to Kilgore Junior College in Texas and partner with each other for however many years the equals and work together. It's it's a cool thing. But that's what I remember about this rookie class.
Speaker 1: That's pretty cool. I mean, you have experienced because you were a football player.
Speaker 2: Yes, not a legend, but that's the I don't know, weren't you really The answer was probably maybe in high school. Then you get to the next level of the video game and you realize you're not as good. A lot of times, people in my job or coaching, we weren't really good enough to play in the NFL, but we still had a passion for football, and here we are doing this. So usually the better players play than some of us who play. We kind of get weeded out and it's time for you to hang up the cleats and helmet.
Speaker 1: And so then you became a scout, right right, So how did you go from being a scout? And I think you were a scout with two different teams, The Jaguars.
Speaker 2: J WARS was first dam Jacksonville j Wars.
Speaker 1: And who was the second Atlanta Falcons Atlanta Falcons. So how did you go from being a scout to a general manager?
Speaker 2: You know that two things. Probably a lot of luck. And I mean that obviously there's a lot of people in the NFL who probably have the potential to be a general manager. And then when I get into luck, is you're fortunate enough to be around a collective that at that moment is succeeding. I often say around lucky enough to be a part of a team that has a really good quarterback. So in Atlanta we had Matt Ryan. Now I was a part of selecting Matt Ryan, things like that, but at the end of the day, because of his success, because of our success in Atlanta, what ends up happening is is other NFL teams who aren't as successful in that moment in time, they try they want to replicate success. They're not having as much success, so they start looking at teams that have had success, and is there anyone in that organization right that can come to our organization maybe ignite it. So, I humbly say, in so many years in it, you realize how lucky you are, even though, like the old age is when you get that break or you get that lucky opportunity, it's best to have prepared so that you have a chance to maybe interview for one of those jobs and if you if you actually win that job, actually have a chance to be successful.
Speaker 1: Right because luck only lasts so long. Luck always sort of runs out, and what you have to you have to back it up with knowledge and talent and ability, which you obviously did because you've been doing it for a bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's interesting. It's one of those. It's probably one. It's a very niche career to go into a lot of times, right, if you want to get in your business, you're going to start as a no. One. So there is a lot of wait a minute, I'm not going to go to law school and take that type of path, which it probably there's a little bit more structure to it. Right, You go to a law school, you come out, you go to a law firm. If you actually work hard and good at what you do. So now you're really like, wait a minute, I really for some reason love doing this version of art and you take a risk. There's not a lot of money early in it, because there are a lot of times in the football ecosystem instead of waiting tables and trying to memorize lines and win a job for a role on television or a play or a movie. There is a little more structure in football, but what they call there's there's kind of these entry level jobs which do not pay a lot, but at the end of the day, if you pay your dues, if you work hard, persevere and persevere to gain the experience, and at the end of the day, once you have this subset of experience, right, you grow up playing football, in my case, grew up playing football. At one time, I was thinking about med school and a lot of people will ask how do I get into football? How to become a writing And now I'm going, you know, I say, you got to get a PhD in football, But at the end of the day, I'm not sure I would recommend that because you can get a PhD in something, and usually there's there's kind of a structured job.
Speaker 1: There's a job.
Speaker 2: They may pay different levels, but the end of the day, if you go to med school and you probably become a doctor, you get a PhD in football, where does it lead.
Speaker 1: It's definitely it can be a crap shoot.
Speaker 2: Definitely a crap.
Speaker 1: Shoot, Yeah, you're gambling, but you're gambling on yourself, which to me, I think that there there are certain personalities. I always say to people that ten out of ten, I'm going to gamble on myself just because I know that my I know my ambition, I know my drive, I know my work ethic and I think the same review and we have a lot of we talked about this, We have a lot of similarities in our personalities. And I feel like you're the guy who who's like, yeah, I'm going to gamble on myself.
Speaker 2: Definitely. Here here's what's really neat where it probably ties again early in your career in late you're betting on yourself. Young, neat thing. You're probably not mayrior, you probably don't have a family, there's not a lot of mouths to feed. You can live off not much, but you're betting on yourself. So fast forward that fifteen twenty years later and you to become a general manager. But now you have the responsibility of a team that's in Los Angeles. That was coming back to Los Angeles that while it was going to be really neat for the NFL for after so many years of not being in Los Angeles, coming back and succeeding here. Whether it's somewhere coded in your DNA probably is a little bit, Whether it's those experience of betting yourself, betting on yourself early when there was really you didn't really know if there was a pot of gold on the other end of the rainbow. You know, you're not really sure if you're going to be successful or not. But you're definitely responsible for the Los Angeles Rams being successful. So I think that really those early days, middle days that lead to here kind of make that pressure, that responsibility probably feel a less less heavier than some would.
Speaker 1: Think, right like you and Sean Theay, the coach of the Rams. You guys seemed very tight and very much a team. At what point did you two meet and form that bond.
Speaker 2: Well, it was really during the when we were interviewing him to become our head coach.
Speaker 1: So you were already general manager.
Speaker 2: I was already general manager, and we had been in St. Louis. We relocated to Los Angeles in twenty sixteen too, and we didn't succeed. Twenty sixteen was a bad year, and at that point in time, I was very fortunate their ownership allowed me to that they saw enough of me to go, we're going to give you a shot to be a part of continuing with the Rams and help hire the new head football coach that you were going to partner with. So that was really the first time we met. Shawn's really one of those wiz kids in terms of when we hired him to be our head football coach. He was thirty years all young, I mean that is young, and but he was really good at what he did in terms of calling offensive play. So he's the guy in charge of if you watch football right, the offense has the ball and they run a play, they go back to the huddle and someone calls a play into the QB and they go run another play. But it's all basically a chess match, some version of a poker match where there is a lot of strategy involved, and he's he was really really good at that, and that's normally how you get your shot to be a head coach. You're either going to be really good at being an offensive or defensive coordinator. He was one of those. But the new thing is, wow, at thirty years old, you could tell. I've often said we either I know, we changed your life for the better, but we might have ruined it because I you could probably have a different story. But a lot of us in our thirties didn't have that type of pressure and responsibility. I mean, you kind of got to live your thirties like to.
Speaker 1: I do nothing but pressure in my twenti and thirties.
Speaker 2: But yeah, you signed up for it. That's what I did.
Speaker 1: I signed up.
Speaker 2: So that's where you could probably relate to Sean for sure, right, being that young, but also caring, right, having the responsibility of helping a television show, being really, really, really successful.
Speaker 1: Like I never see him on the sidelines getting really worked up, and I watch a large majority of the games, and I've never really seen him like lose his shit. I do know some people are doing well. I mean it's probably it's probably you know, you're exactly.
Speaker 2: Right on the sideline in the heat of pressure. He is very, very skilled to be able to be that poise, be that calm, be able to assess what's going on in real time and right call the right plays.
Speaker 1: But you're the same way.
Speaker 2: I am the same way. But his job's going to entail. Let's call it. Let's call quicker decisions when there's a lot of chaos going on my job, and it's one of the reasons why, one of the reasons why we partner so well. My job it's more let's call it assessing, analyzing. There's probably more time to make decisions. So very very interesting how the two skill sets are similar but different. I guess you call it. We're both highly confident people, but we really don't allow our egos. I'm pretty sure we have them. I know we do, but we don't allow our egos to and that's what happens a lot of times in really good partnerships. Right, I'm sure you've seen it in your world. It was like, wait a minute, I want to be the star. I want to be the co star. Wait, and I want to be the star. So we work together. I don't want to do his job. He really doesn't want to do my job, but we both need each other. We both have to be on the same page to do each other's job. So it's a cool bond where I'm about twenty something years older than him. So we have a very big brother little brother relationship and that we're really close. You know, we can we can punch each other out, not literally, but you know, and come back five minutes later and it's really cool.
Speaker 1: Okay, so this is for the listeners. You guys, I've now known last for a couple of years. I know his wife, and I personally have never met someone so incredibly level headed and humble and kind as you in your position. There's obviously a lot of people out there that are humble, kind and all of that stuff. But you're the GM and the Los Angeles Rams, you know, like that to me is a huge important job. And you don't have social media, but you must here to some extent. Some of the fans grumbling at times are angry or because they only see and I know this from my experience and also watching it happen to you and just the Rams in general. The fans don't know all the particulars. They don't know the inside of what's happening. They don't know that what's happening with this player at that moment, or why you made that decision. They just know that maybe that decision failed or maybe that play was the wrong play. Because they're passionate and they love the sport and they love the team, and because you're on social media, you must be somewhat insulated from all of the noise. But at the same time, I know you do hear some of the noise. What is that like?
Speaker 2: You know, it's a little bit older school, but very intentional with the social media not having it just because at the end of the day, it's not just to avoid the noise, but it's also probably to avoid the noise of the world. Right, And there's times I will obviously go and go, okay, this will you will intentionally spend time to okay, let me look at world news and see what's going on. But I think if you're in my position, if you're responsible for leading a sports franchise, it's awesome that the fans care. I've often wondered about us in football, would we do this if no one watched or care? Like to think so, But you often wonder would you? So that's interesting?
Speaker 1: But I wouldn't do it if I wasn't getting paid.
Speaker 2: No, that's interestingly right, because you because they help you get paid. So number that's the you have to approach it with the awareness with thirty thousand feet that Okay, they do care. Like you said, they don't necessarily know the nuance of their every decision. I'm sure our fans like some of the free agency signed, some we didn't wish we'd have gotten this player or not. Right, you can appreciate what they won't desire, but at the end of the day, I know this, they really desire a winning football team. So it kind of all comes together during the season. And if we're winning, you know what, we're all jacked and we're all doing it together. So you have That's how you got to approach the fans in terms of they're passionate and it's cool.
Speaker 1: To hear their voice, and you really get locked in, Like you get so locked in during this season you are an even preseason, like when is the draft house coming up?
Speaker 2: The draft houses in of April. We were about to really hit full throttle draft preparation. Where As my wife says, I have no life skills at all during that time, probably a lot of the year in football.
Speaker 1: Then your wife let us know, like was she let me know that you canceled Christmas at some point?
Speaker 2: That's a good one. Listeners can appreciate this, and I go through this still today. So I cancel Christmas on I think it was it was a Christmas Eve game. I was with the Falcons then, and at the end of the day it was Christmas Eve, and the winner of that game is going to go to the playoffs, and the losers and not so probably a four o'clock Eastern kickoff Christmas Eve game goes in overtime. I think we're down. We score late in the game to put the game over time. We kick off to Tampa Bay and they fumbled the kickoff. So at the end of the day, they fumbled the kickoff, probably inside their ten yard line, so they pretty much gift us. In those days, overtime rules are different. But we kick a field goal, we win the game, we go to the playoffs, we get on the plane and go home, we celebrate Christmas. So we set up for basically a field goal what would be an extra point. It's the thing that happens after a touchdown where everyone goes and goes they have six points and when I come back, they'll have seven. Right, It's basically a gimmy field goal. Tampa Bay ends up blocking our field goal and walks it off for a touchdown, game winning touchdown, or I can't remember, or they ran it all the way back. We stop them, but they kicked the field goal to win it. They go to the playoffs. We don't. Our season is now over losing. I feel like it's the most excruciating pain you can go through, right without it being some real life tragedy. Right, You're basically devastated and get back on a plane, fly back to Atlanta. At that point in time, have two little ones, and the next morning's Christmas. But not in the headspace, not emotionally. We're canceling this now. How can you do that to your two kids? So there's they got to open presents and things like that. Yeah, I was definitely not present. I was not having any of this. You know, Santa Claus is not real? Why are we? This is losing that game yesterday is real? Santa Claus? Who cares? There's no Santa Claus kids. I know you're only three and one, but you need to learn that now. I can what age fifty three? Now? I think we can still be going through. Let's just say we had a tough two or three games, and it's pretty cool when you find a local coffee shop and eventually whenever you go normally get coffee or whatever, you're going to end up meeting people and the kind of the regulars there. But right here in Malibu, there are definitely times when I go, you know what, I can't go face them. We lost. We have two game losing streak. I'm miserable. I got to go to another coffee shop where no one knows me, and right I can go in and just get coffee and get out of there.
Speaker 1: Or you have people like myself and Christy to take you for hikes. Yes, instead day the super Bowl is here, get your head away from it.
Speaker 2: It's interesting most people watch the super Bowl right most watched entertainment event of the year usually, and I rarely watch any of them because I've been a part of being in three of them, so wasn't born for all of them. So I've basically, you know, seen about three super Bowls. Now I can say this. There's times I've kind of watched a half here there, but usually I try to avoid it, like this past super Bowl where we went hiking and there's a lot of PTSD either.
Speaker 1: I understand that there's a few jobs in my life that I've lost to another actress and I haven't been able to watch the movie.
Speaker 2: Like that's cool.
Speaker 1: I can really, Yeah, I mean i'll give you like heat. For example, the Michael Man. I really wanted that movie. Obviously, Robert s Niro al Pacino, like, you know, Michael Mann and Ashley Judd got the part instead of me, and I couldn't bear to watch the film. I eventually watched it, like, but I had to give myself a couple of years before I could watch it, because I just there are certain jobs that you audition for that you care so much about, like everything is perfect about it, yes, everything, and and you walk away from your audition and you're like, I nailed at this job as mine, and you're so confident that you're going to be in that movie, and when you're told that they picked somebody else, it's devastating. It's really really really hard. So then to all of a sudden walk from the movie theater and see somebody else doing the job that you know you were like born for is incredibly hard. Now that you know the other side of that is that she was born for it too, right, she did like a phenomenal job, And we're totally different actresses and we come with, you know, a different set of skills and everything else. So what she did was different than what I did, and obviously they liked what she did better. That's why they picked her. And years later when I sat down to watch the movie, I was like, damn it, she's really good in it. It was like having to admit that they made the right decision essentially, But yeah, it took.
Speaker 2: Time, right, Yeah, years and maybe a little more maturity, but I'm sure the years experienced. Whatever. Football is like anything, there's there's times right you're it's interesting the emotional dynamics you go through of only two teams are going to be in the super only ones going to win. But it's like if it's a really a rival, if it's if it's a competitor that you really really are let's call it good friends with and you go, man, I'm pulling for that person. But then there's that element of like I'm still jealous. And then there's there's times where you're like, oh, I'm a bad human being. I'm really pulling for this right this movie to just bomb, you know what I mean. But that's you go through that. We laugh, but you make a good point. Now being in my role, Sean's role, and we're going through it now where a lot of our players contracts expired. So if you're drafted, you got four years basically, and then after four years of contract inspires we either signed you back to a second contract, another team could come in and sign you, or we actually say to you we would rather have someone else we're gonna sign. So it may. It just made me think that Sean and I talked about it's such a hard call to call out of respect, go like, Okay, can we at least explain to someone who we've worked with for four years and go, this is why, this is the reason you deserve to hear that probably not getting a Christmas card that year, but at the end of the day too, people like yourself who didn't get that job that are talented. The reality is you're probably going to get another one, but just not that one.
Speaker 1: Are you the one who calls the players and lets them.
Speaker 2: Go Yes, And a lot of times Sean and I do it together. We like to do it, going back to our relationship where partners in this. He's a very relational person. It's probably one of his superpowers, but it's also something that's very exhausting for him and that he really gets to know as players. He really cares about them. He has high demands, high standards. He wants them to be the best football that player, the thing being, he wants him to play quality football and he's going to the most to get push him to get there, along with the staff. But in those moments it's so exhausting for him. But because he truly cares, he wants to be a part of the hard conversations. But we do like to, you know, make those cuts together.
Speaker 1: And is that draining on you? Because I would imagine you now know these players, Sean you know definitely knows them. You know that they have families, you know that they have mortgages. But your job is to do what's best for the team. Overall. Your job is to win and succeed. And if a player isn't playing their best or you know, maybe things have just the dynamic on the team has shifted with some of the rookies or whatever, and you know that this player is no longer gelling. And I'm not talking about personalities like play style, it's just not gelling. So you know that you have to get rid of them. But in the back of your head, I would imagine that it would be incredibly hard to let someone go because you do know everything about them.
Speaker 2: It's very it's very hard. It weighs on you. But we are a team. Where are the Los Angeles Rams. We're collective. It's our responsibility to, as we say a lot of times, just have the most competent collective as possible. And that does sometimes mean you got to look someone in the eye and say, I think we would be more competent basically without you. So that is so you make a good point, though sometimes I have found it when you're doing that with leta's say, a player has been with you maybe eight years, that player's successful, good family, will probably get a chance to play again. Right, You've probably been a part of a lot of good times with that player, even even from a financial standpoint. Sometimes you find that a little bit. They're tough because those are the relationship. But those relationships you're usually going to be in a year or two, you're still going to be close with that person. I found it so hard when you, let's call it, have a young rookie who, right is just out of college, and all that person's been doing is playing football, and all of a sudden, it's like you cut him and drop him off a cliff, their life just got shattered. Where this veteran there's an element of stability already if.
Speaker 1: I've seen it, probably throughout their career.
Speaker 2: So but there are time and that you just don't because obviously the question may come with do you think I have a chance to play? But you really don't know because a lot of times, right their skill level is let's call it the left side of the bell curve. So there's a lot of people on the planet like them. So mom and dad, God didn't give them some genetic traits that Okay, yeah, you're always going to be in the NFL, right, you're you're right on the line. So it's those players sometimes where you go, wow, that was that was hard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, because they're young, and all of a sudden you've given them the chance of a lifetime and they think my life has completely changed and this is amazing, and then it changes yet again.
Speaker 2: And they've usually been the best player in high school, college or one of the best, and now all of a sudden you're cutting them. Often, these the guys were usually weren't cut, you know, they didn't they didn't go through the trauma of the Michael Jordan's story where I got cut by my eighth grade basketball. Not many of them, you know, most of it am Yeah.
Speaker 1: But they're also now playing in a much larger arena with you know, hundreds of guys who are also the best. So you know, there's the weeding out process that has to happen at some point. Let's talk about the board.
Speaker 2: The board.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about the board.
Speaker 2: That was early tease.
Speaker 1: It was a really early tease and women, some of the women listening are like, Okay, what's the tian? They're wondering. First, the tian is that I've always been a football fan. My father was a big USC fan, as you know, we've had this discussion, and I grew up going to a sea game games, so I've always been in a football and going to the draft house was the most exciting thing ever for me. And if my dad were alive, you know, he would have been over the moon seeing this board. And somebody had talked to me. I think it was Christie or maybe it was your wife who had talked to me about sort of what your process was, and I kind of equated it to the only thing I could think before I saw it for myself was you know, the movie Moneyball. I was like, Okay, is he doing something like they did in Moneyball?
Speaker 2: And in a way, in a way, there's a lot of Moneyball in Yeah, not as much in football in baseball, but we do. I mean you saw all the computer screens.
Speaker 1: I think that analyzing is what's similar obviously, not the not the financial of it, but the how much analyzing goes into it. So, as somebody recently said on my podcast, they said, you know, Shannon, your your picker is broken, and it really hit home because I've known it for a long time. I got a few boyfriends here and there that I was very lucky with. It had nothing to do with my picker. It's just they ended up being amazing guys. I pick the wrong men for me. I pick men with red flags, Like all over the place, I see a red flag and I charge towards it. I don't run away from it when I should be running away. So when I saw the buyer beware category on your thing, I was like, oh, that's all the men in my life came from that category buyer beware. And I dove right into that category.
Speaker 2: These four categories we'll talk about right now, and that's what you notice are it's four categories, and they're probably going to be where you draft your first round pick, your second round pick. So a first round pick in the dating world wouldn't be you know what, it's a random Saturday at a club and you're just gonna you know, that's not first round worthy, right, that's just that maybe later in the draft, like you know what, Saturday night, I say that I meet this guy, we go hang out. So there you go. So these are important. These are important. Uh, let's call it decisions to make. So what you saw is we have math changer. So a math changer, let's say we if you're a Laker fan, think Lebron James math. It probably takes two people to guard him and not one, right, so he changes the math on the court. Uh, there's not many of those, especially in the draft. And then then there's this I call it reliable starter. And what's interesting about the reliable starter, probably in the dating world, would be, oh, man, is that a little bit boring? But stable? Right? Maybe like he's a you know what, he's a lawyer, but you know what I mean, it's kind of a little boring, stable, not a math changer. I don't know. What a math changer. Math changer probably changes in you're in the dating world, right, depending on where you're at and where you're at in your life. Right. But and then there's the oh, this guy has probably some math changing capabilities, reliable startup capabilities, but not as consistent. There's a buyer beware element based on something and it could be intangibly. It could be a physical trait to like maybe in football we like tough players, so maybe more finesse than tough. There's something there that you go, you know what, if we're going to pick someone the date long term, it's like, it's like the person your dad warned you about, but you know, if your dad it's like, but there, maybe I don't want to give them the dad. But maybe this guy has a man it's got really really good abs, but he's got some red flags, as you said, so he's like, do you really? So that's that's that's probably your three categories. So what's very interesting as we draft, because we are betting on this player for four years, that's at least dating him or living with him or marrying him for four years. Is it better to go with that reliable start a math changer if he's there and it's got a clean profile, that's easy. Not many of those, so usually you're having to pick between kind of the little the more boring but stable, or a little more exciting but less predictable red flax. So that puts it in context. We can get into the other categories, but I think, I think that that's where we're at. So I understand. I have a eighteen going on nineteen year old daughter, so I understand the buyer beware category. And I've been young before.
Speaker 1: So ad for her.
Speaker 2: You know what, Here's what I always do is I'm well aware who she's dating, what what bucket I have them in again at eighteen or nineteen, Maybe maybe they don't even I don't even know if you can be a math changer as a nineteen year old. I mean yeah, I mean if it is, I don't want to know why they're the math changer, especially if you have an eighteen or nineteen year old daughter. But you see it, Yeah, you kind of can visualize, Okay, that that's a buyer beware.
Speaker 1: Okay, So for me, my picker's program tempting. So you're going to do the board for me, And that's how we're going to pack