Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Final Hour on this Wednesday. To be busy. Hall of Famer Joe Thomas, Well, look at the conference championship games coming up this weekend. He'll stop by. We'll talk to Tom Verducci, Baseball Hall of Fame writer. There was one voter who didn't vote for Eachiro. Should the ballot be made public. We had CC Sabathia on. He said that he couldn't get Eachiro out. Each Row hit three twenty three against him with eight home runs. He also said he couldn't get Evan Longoria out either. I'm looking at some guy. This isn't fair to do this to a guy on the day, you know, day after he gets in the Hall of Fame. Maddy Ramirez, Ramis Rameirez, Derek Jeter, Mike Redman, Alex Castile. They patted five hundred against CC Sabathia. He did get a lot of guys out though, but as he said, there's always one or two guys where you go, that guy dominated you. So we'll talk to Tom here coming up here in a moment. Phone calls are welcome eight seven to seven three DP show email address Dpatdanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle at dp show Big ten Basketball and NBC Peacock. Next Sunday, it'll be UCLA heading to Maryland. Big ten Basketball on NBC Peacock. It's always game time. Good morning though. If you're watching on Peacock, thank you for downloading the app and our radio affiliates around the country. Big game in the NBA, at least for me tonight, Cabs in the Rockets, and you still have some teams open for business, Cowboys, Jags, Jets, Raiders, Saints. I expect the Jets job to be closed by the end of the week, and maybe Mike McCarthy makes a decision if he has the opportunity. The Jags reportedly are looking at somebody with very very little coaching experience. Think he's an offensive coordinator, maybe with Tampa Bay. But I saw that yesterday, which was kind of surprising. The Saints, Raiders, Raiders missed out on Ben Johnson, and who knows what the Cowboys are doing. You got an update, Pauline.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Adam Schefter and others reported the guy you just mentioned for the Jaguars, gig Liam Cohen. He is staying with the Buccaneers as their offensive coordinator.
Speaker 2: He's turning down being a head coach with the Jacks.
Speaker 3: I don't know if he was offered, but he said he's taking himself out of the running for the Jaguars head coaching gig to stay in Tampa on a new contract that will place him amongst the highest paid coordinators in the NFL.
Speaker 2: I just haven't finished my work here yet, Ben Johnson. Did this worked out okay for him. Ben Johnson gets introduced to the Chicago media. Oh, there's gonna be a lot of fake laughter today, Paulie. They're gonna they want Ben Johnson to be charismatic and funny.
Speaker 4: He's playing to a home craft.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's gonna say something like, man, it's time to go to work.
Speaker 5: Good one.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, coach, have you tried the pizza yet in our para city?
Speaker 2: A lot of fake laughter today, A lot of fake laughter. Don't need to do that with Tom Berducci. He's very serious, very serious, he joins us on loan from l at All. Actually he's got a nice smile. You just you know, Tom and great hairy, just not He's not done to have the one liners that Ken Rosenthal has MLB Network, Fox sports analysts and a senior writer for Sports Illustrated. Good morning, Tom, Good morning.
Speaker 6: I don't know whether to compliment you on that intro or crush you, but well done.
Speaker 2: Your reaction to the Hall of Fame vote, Yeah, not surprising.
Speaker 6: I actually had written my story before the announcement was made, thinking would be these three. Wagner got in a little higher than I thought, considering he was just five short last year, and each year a thing one person not voting for them. Dan's not a big deal for me. I'm like, put away the pitchforks and the torches. It has no equation the worth of the player. Right, Marianna Rivera is not the greatest player in baseball history.
Speaker 7: Someone I would like to know the reason. Don't get me wrong.
Speaker 6: Someone must have a legitimate reason, I hope for leaving him off the ballot. I'd like that person to explain himself. But I don't get upset about it. No, it's not like ho take away his voting privileges because he didn't vote the way he's quote unquote supposed to vote.
Speaker 7: I'm not buying that.
Speaker 2: But should the ballot be made public?
Speaker 6: Yeah, Listen, we're into business and journalism. Business and transparency. When we get that ballot, we're able to check a box that says, would you like the BBWAA to make this ballot public after the announcement, And most of us always do right, But it is a choice, it's not an obligation. I would have no problem with making it public. I actually dan, I would prefer that it all be public. But you cannot reveal your ballot until after the announcement is made. Can you imagine, like the Grammy's coming out the Academy Awards, there was a running tracker of who is leading.
Speaker 7: No, I don't want that.
Speaker 6: I just want to hear the announcement when it's made of who want and what the vote holes were. I don't want it to influence the election, and I want to hold off the surprise.
Speaker 2: Frankly, well, that's what it is with the Heisman. They say, don't reveal your ballot, and I always wait until after, and then I say, this is who I voted for and why I voted for them. But I look, I'm proud to have that opportunity, so I don't want to hide from it. I would just be curious why this voter didn't vote for each row like, what was it that that bothered you? Or sometimes, as you know, voters will give a vote to somebody else so they can get a little bit of a boost because this other guy is already going to get into the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I've heard of that in the past.
Speaker 6: It's tough to think that's in play this time, Dan, this was not necessarily a really deep ballot where you're fighting to keep guys on on the eight, nine, ten spots in the ballot. Now listen, each row to me is a no brainer, right, three thousand hits, three hundred average, five stolen bases, one of only five guys to do that, a handful of guys. But I mean, he does have the lowest adjusted ops for any count corner outfielder in the Hall of Fame. He was a singles hitter who didn't walk and didn't hit for extra bases. You want to hold that against him, I don't, But I, like you, I would like to know what it was. You know, It's interesting he came up for the Japanese Baseball Hall of Fame ballot as well and only pulled about ninety three percent over there.
Speaker 7: So I don't know, I don't know. What's going on?
Speaker 6: Maybe bad that he left. Yeah, there you go, he didn't. He didn't last long enough over there. I think he had a thousand hits over there. It wasn't good enough.
Speaker 2: Moving forward though, trying to look at starting pitchers and you know, trying to handicap how do you quantify qualify these starting pitchers to be in the Hall of Fame. Let's get rid of the guys you know are already in with Ureser and you know, you got Clayton kershaw Lander, maybe one of I don't know, Granky, I don't know if it's greenky a whole ye, yeah, Okay, Now what do you do?
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's a great question because you know, watching a guy like CC, he's got traditional numbers, thirty five hundred innings, right, three thousand punch outs, two hundred and fifty wins.
Speaker 7: That's kind of easy.
Speaker 6: But those I don't want to say he's the last of them, but it's it's far and few between. So you're starting to now I think see a really seismic change in voting. And I think Felix Hernandez is kind of the canary and the coal mine.
Speaker 2: Here, right.
Speaker 7: His peak actually was better than CC.
Speaker 6: Sabathia's he just threw so many innings at nineteen twenty twenty one that he didn't last in his thirties. So now you're gonna have to look back and guys like Johann Santana, Brett Saberhagen, Dave Steve, Kevin Brown, David Kohene, a lot of these guys who had really really high peaks were among the best pitchers in the game for say, seven, eight, nine, ten years, but didn't have the three thousand punchouts, three thousand innings.
Speaker 7: There's a lot of guys.
Speaker 6: That think they are going to come into play as we go forward here, and very few like Bathiet that are going to come up.
Speaker 2: Okay, But is did Kurt Shilling come along on the ballot at the wrong time because he was If Shilling is on the ballot, now, is he a Hall of Famer?
Speaker 6: You know, if he takes down his social media account and he stays quiet. I mean, really, that's why he's not in the Hall of Fame. He opened his mouth and people didn't like it.
Speaker 7: I voted for him every year.
Speaker 6: To me, he was Don Drysdale with a better postseason. Kurt Shilling was a history changer. It's easy for me to vote for guys who change history. C C changed history, whether it was the stretch run with Milwaukee, all time legendary stuff, or he signs with the Yankees, huge deal, they win his first year there and he's the guy the MVP of the Alcs.
Speaker 7: Shilling changed history.
Speaker 6: We can think about games at the top of our head that he influenced, essentially one himself. That to me as a Hall of Famer, and he was tracking that way until he ticked off a lot of journalists and said the wrong things that didn't.
Speaker 2: Supposed to factor into Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 6: Think it does, Dan. I think listen, I didn't agree with what he said, but I vote on someone's playing.
Speaker 2: But he didn't cheat the game. You got guys who cheated the game, and we.
Speaker 7: With Peds Dan.
Speaker 6: It really affects how the game has played, the competitive aspect of the game. The most basic rule of competing in sports is play fairly.
Speaker 7: You hear it on the playground.
Speaker 6: You here in Major League Baseball, don't create an uneven playing field. What Hilling did as a player, I don't see any evidence that, you know what his his political views, social views affected how he played the game.
Speaker 7: So I'm with you on that. It's nothing to say that you ignore it.
Speaker 6: You can disagree with it as I do, but doesn't mean you have to say, oh, therefore, I'm not voting through the Hall of Fame. Very interesting to see what happens now because he's off the writer's ballot. If a room full of sixteen people in a veterans committee, twelve of them think, yeah, we're gonna look past what he said and put him in the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: I'll leave you with this. With the Dodgers and the amount of my money that they're spending, they're not breaking any rules. They're if that's my ownership, I'm thrilled that they're they want to ensure we're going to have a great team. Is there any recourse with Baseball of doing anything about this in the future.
Speaker 7: No, not now.
Speaker 6: They're playing by the rules as you said. I mean, they have a billion dollars in deferred money. But Gogenheim, the company that owns the Dodgers, has about three hundred and fifty billion dollars in deferred money. So this is pocket change for what they do and how they operate. And I think you have to look at the fact too, Dan, that their infrastructure right, their technology, they're coaching, everything they do to create a working atmosphere for players is top of the charts. Great, and if you want to go to the postseason, you sign with the Dodgers. They deserve credit for creating this atmosphere similar to the Yankees in the late nineties.
Speaker 7: Right, those are the advantage that they're operating with. Is it good for the game?
Speaker 8: I don't know.
Speaker 7: Listen, we all love Goliath.
Speaker 6: You're sitting here talking about the Chiefs every year and people get tired of them. But we all like to also for David against Goliath, Right, So I think.
Speaker 7: It's good for the game.
Speaker 6: But they're already are owners around the game who can't compete even closely with how the Dodgers spend money, who say we need a system that's different. And if you're talking about a salary cap, just be prepared for not playing baseball in twenty twenty seven, because every time that issue comes up and you owners want to stick to it, we have the game shut down.
Speaker 7: That's the history of labor negotiating.
Speaker 2: Always great to talk to you. Thank you, Tom, you got Daan, Thank you Tom Berducci MLB Network, Fox Sports analyst senior writer for Sports Illustrated Jason in Arizona. Hi, Jason, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 9: Hi?
Speaker 10: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 10: No, I just think Tom just butchered that question, like is it back for baseball? Of course it's back for baseball. There's no way that they should just be able to circumvent the There is a salary cap in baseball, and there shouldn't be able to circumvent it by deferring all that money, the biggest contract at the time in baseball history. Just defer it all and now you can use all that money to sign all these other guys. And there's no way you can tell me that Shohy and these other Japanese pitchers are not in communication with each other.
Speaker 2: Well, sure, but you know baseball's allowed this until and the players are getting paid. So this is going to be the owners locking out the players if you think that's going to happen. And as Tom said twenty twenty seven, but if that's that's that's my ownership and they're spending money, I love it. I mean I'm not. If you're a Dodger fan, are you worried about an unfair advantage? Here, you're not. Now, do I like the other markets to be able to be competitive? I do, And they keep adding playoff you know, teams, so maybe you get that in a shortened series where maybe you can knock off a team like that. But this is what the Yankees did. And the Yankees had all that extra money from the Yes network. I mean they created something that nobody else could take advantage of or did take advantage of. The Dodgers are kind of doing the same thing. Yeah, PAULI did you.
Speaker 3: Want to play Let's play the Dodgers payroll game. We haven't played that in a couple of years.
Speaker 1: Dan.
Speaker 2: All right, So going into next season, what's the Dodgers payroll?
Speaker 4: Yes, rejected payroll as of right now?
Speaker 2: All right, Todd.
Speaker 11: Four hundred and twenty seven million dollars.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'll give you a hint.
Speaker 3: A team like the Saint Louis Cardinals is at one hundred and forty eight million, and they're kind of in the middle of the entire league.
Speaker 2: All right, seatan Dodgers payroll next year.
Speaker 12: I'm gonna say it's almost exactly double what Paul just said four hundred and was it? Would you say four hundred and forty eight million, Yes, something like that. So Todd said, I'm sorry, you said one hundred forty eight for the the Cardinals.
Speaker 4: Yes, one forty eight.
Speaker 2: Yes, sorry, that's what I'm trying to say.
Speaker 12: So you got so it would be double what the Cardinals is, maybe closer to like three twenty six.
Speaker 2: Three twenty six, three twenty six. Marvin, three hundred and twelve million. I'm gonna go three fifty eight five.
Speaker 4: Three hundred and sixty nine million dollars for the Dodgers.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 3: In comparison, the Mets are at two ninety seven, Phillies to eighty eight, the Yankees to eighty four.
Speaker 2: Okay, what is the lowest payroll in baseball.
Speaker 4: Estimated for twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: It's not Oakland because or Sacramento. Now they're actually spending money ish.
Speaker 4: They're at seventy four million, second to last.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, so they're not last. Yes, Marvin, I'm.
Speaker 5: Gonna go with the Marlins at thirty four million dollars.
Speaker 4: It's the Marlins at sixty seven millions.
Speaker 5: Thirty four Those are my Marlins.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hey, but every five years they win a World Series.
Speaker 10: So I'm with see.
Speaker 5: And I also have an issue with the playoff system expanding the Marlins. I'm almost certain I'll take a pie of the face if this is true. What I don't think they have a division title. I don't think they've ever won a division division title. But they have two soup, I mean, two Super Bowls World Series championships. That's ridiculous.
Speaker 2: He's correct, you're fired up here over the Marlins.
Speaker 5: So they get in with eighty four wins. Yeah, they end up winning the World Series.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they were kind of the Diamondbacks before the Diamondbacks. This last Diamondback team that went to the World Series. Just get in, Yes, But if.
Speaker 3: You don't have things like this, you don't have the ELI manning Super Bowls, if you don't.
Speaker 2: Have wild card yeah, wild cards. I think the Packers were a wild card with Aaron Rodgers. Yeah yeah, yeah, oh great wild card. Yeah. Well, you don't like the wild card, you like you won your division.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm kind of into that baseball wise.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, I'm a peerst Well remember when they used to just have one divisional Like you, you won your division, you got to go to the World Series.
Speaker 5: Oh I'm with that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, are you just two teams at the end of the year.
Speaker 5: The two best teams in the National League in the American League.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yes, Tom, And when the Dodgers and Braves playing the same division, that made a lot of sense.
Speaker 2: Well, the Dodgers, Braves and the Red National League West, the Reds in Ohio and the Braves in Atlanta, they're in the West. Yes.
Speaker 12: When you look at like these websites and they have the payroll things, and it says total payroll and then right next to that it says active payroll. So the Marlins say their total payroll according to this right is about forty three million dollars, but their active payroll is almost twenty nine million dollars. Oh, is that the stuff that like they're still paying out, like, oh, we signed this guy, but we owe him a million dollars a year for the next five years, so that goes in the active that goes in the.
Speaker 2: Total payroll for this year.
Speaker 12: I'm guessing active payroll is just well, these are the guys we're really playing.
Speaker 2: Yes, it feels like that.
Speaker 12: It feels like a significant amount of money that goes over Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yes, would'd be great one time to be on inactive payroll. Pay to not do anything. I got a coach that gets fired and has three more years on his contract.
Speaker 12: The National's total payroll this year is seventy five point two million dollars. Their active payroll is forty nine million dollars.
Speaker 2: That's almost twice as much all times. Did you see Bryce Harper at the Ohio State Yeah, I do know. He's a big Ohio State fan.
Speaker 5: Me neither.
Speaker 2: He had I think an Ohio State Buckeye letter jacket on. He's from Vegas, Like, how did he end up an Ohio State fan? All right, let me take a break. Joe Thomas Hall of Famer Will John's coming out. We'll talk about the AFC NFC title games. Is he chiefed out back? After this?
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 13: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app. Why should you listen to Covino and Rich. We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well, other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together, I mean that says something, right, So check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: More phone calls coming up. Update the Pole results. Joe Thomas is the only player in NFL history to play in more than ten thousand consecutive plays without interruption or injury. The NFL record ten thousand, three hundred and sixty three snaps sounds pretty impressive. I don't know what it means, but uh, you're Are you the cow Ripken of offensive lineman.
Speaker 14: I'll allow you to call me the cal Ripken of all of the NFL if that's what you want to do, Dan, you can put the words in my mouth. I'm okay with that.
Speaker 2: Okay, But how many times were you aware this streak when you played?
Speaker 14: I was, yeah, So it was probably like year six or seven when I realized, huh, you know what, I don't think I've missed the play yet. And then our sports information director Dan Murphy kind of looked into it and was like, hey, you're right, you haven't missed any plays. And oh, by the way, I don't think anybody's done that ever since they started keeping track in like nineteen ninety nine or something like that.
Speaker 2: But how many times did you go out there just to keep the streak alive?
Speaker 14: So I never actually willingly like said, oh I'm ready to take a break, and oh, but I got the streak on the line, I got to go back out there. But certainly towards the end, as as I was getting closer to ten thousand, which is kind of a big milestone, I thought, you know what, Hey, if you know my shoelace breaks or I lose a chin strap, do I.
Speaker 11: Call a time out?
Speaker 14: Do I just like go and quit? Call a timeout so I can save the streak and just deal with the coach yelling at me on the sideline. And I think to myself, you know what, after nine years of doing this, I think I deserve to waste at least one time out if I had to with something goofy, like a shoe gun tied, or like busted the chin strap, or you know, something with an equipment malfunction happens.
Speaker 2: I had a former college coach, well known college coach, and he was talking about developing running backs because we don't use them the way we once did. But maybe there's a comeback with that with Derrick Henry or Saquon Barkley, but also developing offensive lineman. That the way the game is played in college, that we're not developing offensive lineman the way that we once did. Your thoughts on that of what you see with offensive lineman now as to you know when you were at Wisconsin.
Speaker 14: Yeah, that's a much more wide open game in college and in high school especially, and I think because of that, the guys on the offensive line are not really taught the breadth of techniques that we were when I was in college and when I was early in the NFL, where you have to learn so many different ways of blocking. You're blocking manned concepts, you're blocking double teams and gap schemes, you're blocking inside zone, you're blocking outside zone. And then also you have your drop back pass, you have your three step, your five step, your seven step, your play action, your boots. So you have this huge catalog of techniques that you have to learn that they just don't do that quite as much anymore, and they don't put as much pressure on the offensive lineman, which is probably a good thing because it takes a long time to learn all these different techniques, but I think they've really dumbed it down and at the high school and college level, and so because of that, at the NFL, you see guys that they've got great technique, they're stronger, they're faster, they're more athletic than ever, but they don't have those pro style catalog of techniques that they used to, and so when you're asking them to do a bunch of different stuff like NFL offenses, do they struggle in a lot of different ways, because it just takes a lot of time and a lot of reps to develop that. And oh, by the way, we have less pre season time, less contact time in the off season and through training camp, and so you have less time to actually develop those techniques that you need the most.
Speaker 2: What is it about a couple of these tackles that get off the ball like that, It feels like they're moving before they're supposed to be moving. Lane Johnson kind of mastered this, but are they like, is it illegal? Should it be flagged?
Speaker 14: No? I think the problem is for decades we were used to seeing the ball snap, and then after the ball is about almost between the center's legs, we see the offensive line move, and defensive linemen we're moving at a similar slow pace. Well, somewhere, I don't know, maybe middle beginning of my career, defensive lineman realized, Hey, if I can beat that offensive tackle off the snap and get ahead of him, now he's playing catch up to me. Now he's back on his heels, and then now I can dictate whatever I want to do in my rush. At the point of contact he's off balance. I can either bull rush him or I can push pull him. I can rip to the outside to the inside, but I've got them right where I wanted. And so offensive tackles started realizing, Hey, the secret to winning the REP is to win the snap, and that's what we started emphasizing. And so then you started hearing guys and seeing guys anticipate when the snap was coming, and so when you listen to a snapcount, which is really important from a quarterback. I had a lot of quarterbacks twenty quarterbacks that I applied for that were starters at Cleveland, and the first thing that I would try to train these guys up on is, all right, we need a rhythmic cadence so that I can anticipate when you're going to call for the ball and I can start the process of my brain telling my body to move, which there's a little bit of a lag time. It's not like the speed of light, but it's pretty fast. But that little split second of lag between when your brain says go and your body goes is enough of a difference maker. That is the determination of whether you win or lose the snap, and whether you win or lose the REP in a pass pro. And so I would actually tell myself, like lane Johnson and all the tackles that you're seeing doing a good job of it. I was telling my body to go before the call from the quarterback, which made the timing absolutely perfect. So if you actually look at it, for a lot of these guys, the second the ball just starts to move before the snap even really happens, the tip of that football just starts moving. That's when they're moving, and that's a perfect rep. And to the naked eye, it probably looks like they're jumping and they're fall starting until you slow it down on film and you see, oh no, that was actually perfect because if they don't do that, that's exactly when the defensive linemen are moving.
Speaker 2: Okay, but give me it. For instance, your quarterback line of scrimmage, when do you know that ball is going to be snapped? Because if he goes, say, you know, green fifty seven set hut hut, like yeah.
Speaker 14: So if it's on one, you'll hear the snap count. It's actually like a rolling cadence. So we used to do white aity, why eat he's not, so all those things kind of roll together. So when I would hear white aiti whye Eddy's set, I was actually going on the set before the hut, which was actually the calling for the football, and so you had to all so stay on top of your center because if he was trying to get a head start too. Now all of a sudden, the ball is coming before the quarterback and everybody else is ready. And so that's why it's really important that the quarterback's cadence and how he rolls into the hut and when the center is snapping the ball is all perfectly in sync and perfectly the same from one snap to the next, so that I can win and the defensive lineman is a little bit behind.
Speaker 2: Spend eleven seasons with the Cleveland Browns. Works for the NFL Network, Joe Thomas, Hall of Famer, and you're working with Colt. Explain what Colt is?
Speaker 14: Yeah, Colt Firearms. They have made the Safety Impact Award to try to encourage safe and responsible firearm ownership. And myself, Clay Matthews, guy went against a lot, probably thought I was false starting quite a bit when he was playing for the Packers. Adam Vinatieri and Fletcher Cox, we're all trying to raise awareness for safe and responsible firearm ownership. We've all selected a nonprofit charity Mine the Great Ducks Unlimited, which fights for wetland restoration and clean water, clean air throughout North America. And we're raising money for those organizations. And all people have to do is go to Safety Impact Award dot Com. They can vote for those organizations. It's one dollar per vote, and then when you vote, if there's a safety, which you get the little pun there onwards. If there's a safety in the super Bowl, people that voted for the winning charity have a chance to win a portion of one hundred thousand dollars from Cordova. So you get an opportunity to get a free prop bet in the Super Bowl and get the cheer for a safety, which is my wife's favorite play. So I'm always cheering, happy wife, Happy life.
Speaker 2: Give me the quarterback who would be the toughest to block for?
Speaker 14: So there's always this conversation. I just had this with Lane Johnson a couple of weeks ago about would you rather block for a quarterback that's mobile that you know, if you get just flat out beat, like you just fall in your face and the guy runs past you, is able to make that guy miss and turn it?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 14: Chicken salad into you know or chicken you know what and the chickens out, And or would you rather have the guy like a Peyton Manning or Tom Brady who's exactly in the right spot every time, He's not really going to avoid anybody, but he's throwing that ball on time. And for me, I always preferred the guy that was in the right spot getting rid of the football on time, because then I knew I could do my job right no matter what. And like I always wanted the onus to be on me to make sure that I did my job the right way. And I don't really care what the quarterback does, but if he's in that spot, he's going to be protected. But some guys, they prefer the guys that can get out and move, you know, the Jayden Daniels that Jalen hurts. The guys that, hey, you get beat and all of a sudden he's going to make a great, amazing play and convert a first down. And then all of a sudden, instead of the coach putting you in a headlock and giving you a nuggie on the sideline, he's patting you on the back and say, ah, it's okay, you'll get him next time, buddy.
Speaker 2: But Mahomes is not like Jayden Daniels or Josh Allen. He's or even Jalen Hurts like. He's just unique because I always call him an opportunisticquarterback. He's an opportunist. I'm not there's no design runs, but if there is a run, I'm going to be taking advantage of that. But then we also get to this point where is he flaunting the protecting the quarterback when he's out of the pocket. If you were the NFL, would you make any tweaks to that rule next season?
Speaker 11: Absolutely?
Speaker 14: And I have been banging this drum for a while because I do not blame Josh Allen because he does it a lot too. I don't blame Patrick Mahomes. I just think that's they're doing a good job of utilizing that. The way the game is officiated right now, however, the NFL absolutely has to make a change with how they officiate the roughing the passer, with how they officiate the giving yourself up to slide for quarterbacks, how they officiate guys at quarterback like Patrick Mahomes did last weekend, where they look like they're about to go out of bounds and then they stop and then the defense hits them and then they fly out of bounds. And I don't even necessarily blame the quarterbacks or the officials in this case. It's just how it's being officiated, because if you look at the rule, they're saying that when a quarterback starts to slide, that's where the ball should be placed down. So the moment he starts to slide, that's where he's down. And it was a way of a quarterback being able to give themselves up when they're in open field without getting hit at all. And it was supposed to happen way before contact was ever made. But because officials were placing the ball like in the middle of when they started their slide, they were giving him these extra yardage after they had started sliding. And because of that, now you see quarterbacks doing these late slides. They're trying to get as close to a defensive lineman as they can and then maybe it look like they're going to slide and then keep going, and it puts defenders in tremendous conflict because you don't know what the intentions of the quarterback is, and the intentions should be very clear by the letter of the law and the letter of the rule from the NFL. They should be able to understand well in advance from a defensive standpoint, if that quarterback is giving themselves up or and the fact that it's not happening and we're getting late slides, we're getting fake slides. We're getting quarterbacks that pretend like they're going out of bounds and then they don't. It's actually become a very dangerous play. We saw that with Trevor Lawrence earlier in the season. Now his wasn't quite as late. But because of this difficult quandary that we're putting the defenders in, whether they don't know what the quarterback is doing, and then if they don't make a play on the quarterback, they don't try to tackle them. Now they're a meme on social media for being a bozo and not trying to hit the quarterback and just standing there, and you know, you have all these issues of not knowing what's happening. And so I think for the safety of the quarterbacks, which is I think in everybody's best in just of course, we want to see Patrick Mahomes and Josh Allen go at it this weekend. We don't want to see those two backups like we want to keep them healthy. But it needs to be officiated differently, and there needs to be some type of penalty, maybe like they did in the NBA with the flopping and stuff against a quarterback who's not clearly giving himself up well before he gets anywhere near making contact with a defender.
Speaker 2: Did you ever think you were really intimidating anybody if in cold weather you went out there with short sleeves on.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 14: No, it was definitely a peer pressure thing. There was an ego thing that came from a long, long time ago. But the one thing I will say to people that you know are always impressed because you always hear the announcers the linemen are wearing sleeves.
Speaker 5: It's amazing.
Speaker 14: I actually felt that not wearing sleeves was warmer because when you wear sleeves, when you get sweaty, which inevitably you will, now that material has got water on it, sweat on it, and it's going to evaporate and make your arms colder. And so what we would do, and I'm sure they still do it, is if you wore bare arms, you put vasileene, which helps cut the wind. It helps cut any of that evaporation that's going to happen, and then don't forget.
Speaker 2: Is that legal?
Speaker 14: Far as I know, I never got a flag for it, I never got fined for it, so I'm pretty sure it's legal. Defenders would do it too. But I think the thing that we need to remember too is like underneath that shoulder pad and jersey that you're wearing, you're wearing like a wetsuit, like you're wearing the warmest possible thing on planet Earth. You've got a wool patch stitched up into your helmet that covers your ears. The sidelines have these giant jet blow torches that like they're so hot you can't even get near him, or I've melted my shoes before, so it is plenty warm for those players. We do not have to feel sorry for those guys whatsoever on a cold day. Feel bad for the officials that don't get to go over there, maybe, or the people that are working the sidelines, are the fans, certainly you don't have any of those heaters, but the players, they're just fine guys.
Speaker 2: He's Joe Thomas, Hall of Famer and hundred and sixty three consecutive snaps without injury or interruption. See, you can't like if you're sick around the house with your wife, like she'll be like, oh, mister consecutive snaps streak is not going to be able to help us take out the garbage.
Speaker 14: Yeah, it works good with my four kids because I'm like, hey, kids, all right, you can get up, you can go to school. You're just fine, you know, Okay, I'm sorry you hurt your shoulder. You know what, I played ten and a halfs in the NFL without missing a nap. I think you guys can suck it up for one basketball.
Speaker 2: Now once again. You can go to Safety Impactaward dot com for more on what Colt is doing the Safety Impact Award. Great to talk to you again, Joe, thanks for joining us.
Speaker 14: Yeah, thanks for having me on Dan. If you guys want to go to my social media Joe Thomas seventy three, you can also find that link on my Twitter and Instagram.
Speaker 2: All righty, we take a break, last call for phone calls. What we learn, what's in store tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Right after this, be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Show flew by to day, Tomorrow's Thursday already? Now, how does this happen? Here's yeah, it's crazy. Time flies. We probably had more fun on this show in the last eight months than I think we ever have as far as content goes, guests. Everything just kind of fell into a comfort zone that's different than it has been before. You guys feel then, absolutely, Thank you, Tod.
Speaker 11: That's the question as well.
Speaker 2: No, you could have said no. I mean I would have been fine if you said, you know what, back in you know, twenty fourteen, I thought we had a six month stretch. It was better than this.
Speaker 11: Yeah, that was that was my honest assessment.
Speaker 2: That's uh, Marvin, what do you think?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 5: I agree completely?
Speaker 2: Okay, thank you Mark. It's much for your converse, yes, all, you.
Speaker 3: Know, it's when it's flowing, it's fun, when it's just a conversation.
Speaker 4: You just it.
Speaker 2: Works, It works, It works just I don't know, they're just weeks that go by or days that go by just so quick, and I think having fun with it, but having a lot of things to talk about, a lot of topics.
Speaker 11: Very perceptive.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Tod. You're such a suck up.
Speaker 11: Was not what was?
Speaker 2: I don't know anything. You're better than that, not much. Curtis in Illinois, Hi, Curtis, it's on your mind morn in DP. Hey missed all of hour two.
Speaker 15: Spending the time at the dentist with my daughter. So at what point is the cutoff between having to just extract a tooth for like a hundie or if you're talking like thousands of dollars for a specialist root canal for your kid. But then also I got an idea on how to prevent Patrick Mahomes from the skirt And the rule for the fly down is you can't slide for a first down and you either have to do it well before or well after, and you know, make it the onus on the quarterback to slide five yards away from a defender. So there's never a question about it.
Speaker 2: Well, I think it's going to be. It'll certainly be addressed in the off season, and I think it's got to be changed in the off season. If the goal was to protect the quarterback, then you need to have the quarterback help protect himself. It can't be up to the official, not all the time. At some point you got to be I think fair to the situation because somebody's going to get blasted one of these days, and nobody's going to have any sympathy for you.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: Sam, And Saint Louis, Hi, Sam, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 16: Dan, five eleven, two ten, and my dog tyus. He's a big fan of the Penny's Bang biscuits. But I had a quick in er out for you guys for two future Hall of Famers. The first one, the next unanimous Hall of Famer will be our pools.
Speaker 2: I'd have to look at it, but uh I, I don't. I can't sit here and go, of course, because I didn't think Mariano Rivera would be unanimous, but I thought Derek Jeter would be.
Speaker 5: Yes, Marvin, we were back here discussing this, and I don't think so unanimous. I think he probably gets ninety the Angels years, but the first ten years as good as you ever see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true. I mean, that's why Saint Louis let him go. They got the best ten years out of him. Lucas in Virginia, Hi Lucas, what's on your mind?
Speaker 1: Hey Luke?
Speaker 2: Thank you Luke. Andy and Rhode Island, Hi Andy, Good.
Speaker 17: Morning, Dennis, what's up, Marvin and Fritzy Dan? I have two quick things if I want to lead with this, shame on that call yesterday for trying to invite himself to New Orleans. Even Fritzy can't invite himself over for dinner, So let's get that out.
Speaker 2: Of the way, okay.
Speaker 17: And second, I did want to do a quick statura the Day without a Rock theme, if that's possible.
Speaker 8: Right today marks.
Speaker 17: Kobe Bryant dropping eighty one eight of forty six from the field seven to thirteen from the three point lines to lead his Los Angeles Lakers over victory over the Toronto Raptors.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sounds like it's gonna be easy, but it's not when the pressure's on. Kobe had eighty one in the eighteen point went over the Raptors on this day sports history. Speaking of which, Paulie, what else do you have?
Speaker 3: Nineteen fifty one, Fidel Castro ejected from a Winter League baseball game in Cuba after hitting a batter. He gave up baseball and became a politician.
Speaker 2: Oh, he became a dictator.
Speaker 3: Yeah, trying to be friend. I guess at this juncture we can call it what it is. Nineteen sixty eight, the NBA awarded franchises to Milwaukee and Phoenix. Bjorn Borg in eighty three retired from tennis. Five consecutive Wimbledon championships. Oh, this was a raucous halftime show Super Bowl x VIII nineteen eighty four.
Speaker 2: Very man killing it, boom killing in.
Speaker 4: Nineteen ninety eight.
Speaker 3: Minnesota's new NHL franchise, the Wild m hmm in two thousand and six. I love these Kobe Bryant wants there every couple of days. Lakers guard Kobe Bryant had eighty one points against the Raptors.
Speaker 2: Nineteen sixty eight. When the NBA announced expansion franchises in Milwaukee and Phoenix, they had a coin toss for the rights to Luaus Sindor. The Phoenix Suns lost and they ended up with Neil Walk. Milwaukee got Leuaus Sindor. Let's see, had that work out? I don't know, I don't know. Never never heard from either one of those again, yes, Hunt, is.
Speaker 9: There nothing that could have come up with for some of the significant Is that a coin toss that doesn't sit great with me?
Speaker 10: Well?
Speaker 2: What's fair coin toss? Yeah, it's either heads or tails tone.
Speaker 11: Have all the plays line up and take foul shots. Don't ever mix the most fauchats that team gets them.
Speaker 2: Demarca's cousins on this day twenty eighteen, forty four, twenty four and ten. That was when he was with the Pelicans. On this date in twenty twenty four, Joe el Embiid scored seventy. Dang, this is a good day to score a lot of points. Kobe gets eighty one. That's your this day in sports history. Let's see final results of the poll question Seaton. Yeah, we got a couple.
Speaker 5: Of them up there.
Speaker 12: All right, Let's see most people want the Hall of Fame voting to be public?
Speaker 2: Is that about ninety two percent? Who could use a Super Bowl ring more?
Speaker 12: Nick Sirianni or Jalen Hurtz right now that is at fifty to fifty.
Speaker 2: I want to revisit that topic tomorrow. Fifty to fifty. Yeah, of all of these coaches, who needs a Super Bowl win more? And maybe you put in the players as well. You could have one hour where the coaches in one hour where you have the quarterbacks if you wanted to. Let's go around the room. What we learned on the program Todd, you learn anything today?
Speaker 5: I did.
Speaker 9: I learn a lot of things, one of which was Ccsabat really like playing football back in the day, but he chose pitching over offensive line.
Speaker 5: No rock, no block, Seaton, no rock, no block, Marvin Joe Thomas to come to peer pressure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got to wear the sleeveless uniforms.
Speaker 8: Paul.
Speaker 2: Would you learn today?
Speaker 4: Joe Thomas rampant vaseline user.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he said that. Nobody called him on it, and defensive players used it as well. Todd, what did I learn today?
Speaker 11: This is one of the more fun ones we've had in a while.
Speaker 9: Stephen sat in the nosebleed seats at the Yukon Dame last night and the guy near him actually had a bleeding nose, forcing him to leave the arena early.
Speaker 2: W What we learned brought to you by Maco. Most cars on the road could use a little TLC. At Mako. They bring your car back to life with the affordable paint jobs like collision repairs. Get a free estimate today. Uh oh, better get Mako. Thanks for the phone calls, emails, tweets, the all around support for all of us here. We'll do better tomorrow if we can