Speaker 1: Also media, beloved by some, hated by many, chosen by God, and perfected by science. I'm ed Zitron and it's time for the better offline CS experience. We're back for our second goddamn year. Welcome to this year's incredible coverage of the Las Vegas based Consumer Electronic Show. And I'm sitting in the Palazzo Hotel and we've got a fully stocked bar, tarcos and the love and warmth that only comes from the power of friendship. We're going to be here all week, bringing you the news and views from the inns of the tech industry's largest conference, each day with a rotating cast of incredible people across multiple thirty minute blocks. My bartender, Phil Broughton will keep me liquid, my producer Matttersowski will keep me sane, and my editor Matt Hughes will feed me stories along with my guests from the show floor and my own goddamn eyes. Now, our first contestants are, of course, the wonderful mister Edward I Guiso, Hello, my friends, how are you doing? And he writes the wonderful tech Bubble newsletter, And of course David Roth of Defector, who's joining us today.
Speaker 2: Hey, how's it going? Hell? Yeah? And Matt Bender of Mashaball welcome back. Man.
Speaker 3: Hey, it's great to be here. This is like an annual thing now you years in a row.
Speaker 4: It's tensual.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it counts, It counts. So today I thought the show floor was open and it wasn't, but that just meant that. Ed David and I went to watch the Jensen Wog CS keynote, and I must say I have watched some shit in my time, and I was I was quite I was quite bored, but not because I didn't understand. I was bored because I did understand. I was sitting there just doing what no what. There were things he said during it that did not make sense.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you were bored and upset, and I was bored and bored, which is an important distinction.
Speaker 1: Credit Now, for those of you who actually want content about the about the keynote, don't expect that. Do not expect that at all, because Jensen Wong did not actually announce anything new, six new vera Ruben GPU, They're all. Every single thing he announced today was either three or six months old. Even the video of the dorky robot inside this thing called the omniverse. Yeah, the omniverse, by the way, and Eda is just looking at me, just like just like, just like, oh god, the omniverse is in videos little simulation space for robots and imagination station. Yes, and yet they spent half the thing talking about, as David put it, what would the things that would be nice if they existed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there was a lot of stuff that if if it was real, which we saw no indication that it was, it would be super tight.
Speaker 1: And that's the thing like jens En Wong is that he's he's a real he's a showman. Usually, like a year ago, he was like like greening and dancing across the stage. He was doing a little Avengers bit with a shield with a black while GPU this year.
Speaker 2: Just looked kind of sad.
Speaker 4: It didn't seem happy, It didn't seem he was You don't want to use the phrase low energy because it's got its political valance now, but he was.
Speaker 2: He seemed a little glom sleepy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a little sleepy, sleepy, sleepy Jensen. Yeah, they don't want me to say it, but should we say it? Should say it, folks. But he was as shiny and like sort of boufont as i'd.
Speaker 2: Hoped, like I was, he had a very shiny jackhand as like a.
Speaker 4: Non tech journalist, Like I just know him as being an extremely rich guy with a really like obvious aesthetic, and so the idea of going to see him, like that's actually the most last Vegas thing that I could have done. It was basically the same reason that people would go see like Wayne Newton here where they're like, I don't really love his work, but I know that like when I see him on that stage, I'm gonna be like, damn, well, that's Wayne Newton as hell.
Speaker 2: And this was Jensen Wang as hell. Like, for whatever that's worth.
Speaker 4: It's something you just do while you're in Vegas, right exactly.
Speaker 2: You don't.
Speaker 4: I don't have to be a big fan of Gwen Stefani to go see her residency. Yeah, like this is which is I don't know, it's very instant switching.
Speaker 2: On the Vegas part of your brain for this. But that was the thing.
Speaker 1: There was a line of thousands of people to get in, thousands and.
Speaker 2: Thousands, and we cut a lot of them, and we.
Speaker 1: Cut some lines and I'm very sorry if you were lining up to see the Jensen Wog Donkey Show and you ended up not being able to sit down for two boobless hours.
Speaker 5: It was almost as long as Avatar three.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and I understood it as much as I haven't seen any of.
Speaker 2: That land of my boy Cameron, I don't know.
Speaker 6: I would let him run in video, and I think he'd actually give us something.
Speaker 1: You know. It's had to build a submarine, which is a worrying fact I discovered during when the Titan submersible exploded.
Speaker 2: He's a sick like he's an actual submarine fian. But yeah, this thing was. It was really weird because this.
Speaker 1: Is the largest company on the stock market and he just felt I don't want to say dull is the wrong word, because he certainly wanted to pretend to be excited, but it was like, half, what if we could do robots? We can't, but what if we could? And then it was like we're vera Rubin GPUs. What do you like this?
Speaker 2: What do you think of this?
Speaker 1: And then you may be thinking listener, Okay, at what point did he talk about AI Barely?
Speaker 2: He was just like, yeah, got agents, they're happening.
Speaker 1: And then he did like a two minute long demo of this guy building an agent personal assistant that did stuff.
Speaker 2: He looked at a white board and looking at five things on it and yelled.
Speaker 1: It connected to a hugging face robot that then told his dog to get off the couch.
Speaker 4: Potato, Potato. The dog is treated very rudely, very nasty, very unfair.
Speaker 2: Potato.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 6: When I first saw that clip, I misread it and I was like, there's a readout where it says your dog is on the couch and I know you don't like that. And I thought, I said, your dog is here and I know you don't like it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, can I eliminate the dog kill?
Speaker 1: Jensen one getting up there. We finally worked out a way to kill dogs. Just someone off, come out, no, En Jensen. We took the dog killing part out to It's like, no, it's good.
Speaker 2: They love this.
Speaker 1: We've got tons of dogs like this, like billions of dogs. We want ten dollars a dog wearing business. That's like one quarter of GPU sales.
Speaker 6: Where we see this chart the price killing dogs. Here's one hundred what it caused a kill ten trillion dogs. The parameters are increasing over the year, the cost of each kills dropping by by five orders of magnitude.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I think killing dogs is fun.
Speaker 4: Ten trillion dogs.
Speaker 6: Yeah, for the listener he was talking about At one point, he was talking about how much it costs to generate tokens or and to train models that were ten trillion parameters.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they were saying the parameters were going up, and they had this great shot where it's like, well, you said it was the x axis was just dollars and the y axis was latency and the dollar the line was down, but the latency was up, and he didn't really explain what that meant.
Speaker 2: He's just like, look it's tempa. It's a tenth of the price.
Speaker 4: It was one percent.
Speaker 2: Like you hogs want to see a line go on?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Do you like the stonks guy? Do you want me to bring him out?
Speaker 1: The hogs hated it. The hogs was se They clamped as they should. He brought up picture of Vera Ruben, who I've completely forgoten what she did.
Speaker 6: She was the person who observed that, you know, Newtonian mechanics predicts that uh, things in the farther orbit around the central object should take longer to go around it then closer to it, and the edge of the galaxy rotates faster than you would expect, which suggests that there's other matter, dark matter, which is making uh, the edge of the galaxy actually rotate at a higher velocity. Ryan an interesting one which we still haven't figured out what the fuck to do it so, but more interesting than you know, whether anything they would.
Speaker 1: But that was the one time people clapped and we came back off to just like mildly concosst just like brains just like hummeled. And we went and looked at the CS twenty twenty five one. People were hooting and hollering and cheering and shit this because they were like, yeah, we were going to walk you through black Well and they tell a bunch of lies. At least they had chance with the lies.
Speaker 2: This year.
Speaker 1: It was just kind of like limply walking in skying like yeah, this is really heavy.
Speaker 2: I'm not even kidding. He like just lifted up a Yeah.
Speaker 4: He was pretty dialed in last year for what it's I mean, that's like the bit of it that I you know again to me with the Wayne Newton com it's like you don't have to like the songs to be like, damn, he's really got this padder down.
Speaker 1: Metallica seven times, and they put on a show well every time.
Speaker 3: Now I'm the only person in this room obviously who was not did not see the keynote. Do you think this came Did it come across to you like like they may have had something they planned to show here but it fell through or wasn't order to come across, Like they really like busted their load last year and couldn't live up to the hype this year.
Speaker 2: I think it's the second one.
Speaker 1: They didn't really seem to have anything because I mentioned it in passing, but it was it was a lot of stuff from GtC, which the big developers conference, and like they did this whole thing about new black Well chips and every chip they sorry vera rubenschip and every chip was announced months ago.
Speaker 2: It just felt weird.
Speaker 1: It felt like they didn't have any any key staging anymore.
Speaker 3: Because last year the hype for that keynote was weeks. Yeah, people were talking. It was like the highlight of CES. It was like they had like some big musical artists or something showing up.
Speaker 2: It was that big.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it wasn't that this year. Legitimately, you could see people like people leaving.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there were walkouts, people.
Speaker 1: Just walking out after a thing took Like like last year there was a two and a half hour long line before it opened. This year there was a long line, but it filed in. Then they told us it was full, but then they were like, actually there were seats.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: It's just very weird. It's a thirty eight hundred persons. The yeah, just feels like we're at the end of something, which is fun.
Speaker 3: I enjoy that, which also I don't think the rest of CES has got that message based on all the AI everything everywhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Matt, you've been. You went to CS and bailed yesterday, as yees would. Did you see anything interesting anything.
Speaker 4: That well, I mean everything.
Speaker 3: The interesting thing is actually you would think AI is the main thing, and I guess there's crossover here, but the really big.
Speaker 4: Thing this year robotics.
Speaker 3: Everyone's got robots doing something and obviously there is the AI like uh sort of angle there, but it's it's not the same in terms of like how they hype it up. Like I remember a few years ago every company wanted to be a metaverse company or a blockchain company. And I said this last year on this show that that seems to be dead, and it seems like that's the case. It's just jo Trump coming back and Crypto coming back. In terms of these guys making all their money through insider training on Crypto does not seem to have translated over back to the tech Worldrypto. No, I've not seen any Nope, not even blockchain is usually the way these tech companies try to.
Speaker 2: Like get their hold on that space.
Speaker 6: And I've seen nothing, seen any prediction market.
Speaker 4: No, no prediction market stuff. I mean it's still early.
Speaker 3: This is the show floor hasn't even opened yet while we're talking, But I've seen none of that everything. There was a few AI stuff here and there. Wearables are big again this year. What kind every wearable you get? That's that's where the AI stuff is coming in. Everyone wants a wearable that you have around your neck where it records what you're saying and then gives you the transcription of your conversations.
Speaker 2: If Victoria had a way of recording our voices.
Speaker 1: But if only they invented some way that I could talk and then they would save it.
Speaker 2: Right, It's a good thing.
Speaker 4: Everyone listening to this is in the room with us right now.
Speaker 6: I just lost I saw Victoria's song post something of wearable that is like a taint election.
Speaker 2: Yes, she's gonna come on tomorrow.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Then I won't say anything more about it because I heard it's a taint electrocute things.
Speaker 2: It's you know, maybe it's for keegles, maybe it's for edging the idea. Look, well, people through with that. Titans is not my business. Well it's someone's business.
Speaker 5: Now, it's literally someone's business.
Speaker 4: Was business the previous time I was on this podcast, Victoria was on and she was wearing a wearable Yeah, and it was one of the once I forget what it was called. It was advertised on the subway a lot, the friend.
Speaker 2: It was friend friend something.
Speaker 4: Different though, oh, whatever it was, it was the rabbit. It was designed to be rude to you, like that seemed to be what the hack was.
Speaker 1: No, it was when you sorry, this was I think it was the friend because this is a few months ago.
Speaker 2: It wasn't ces. It was just when you're in the street. It just in New York. Yeah, it was just very rude. Yeah, and it was it got mad at her.
Speaker 4: During our interview, we like asked how she felt about it, and she said she had like a name for it.
Speaker 2: She was like, it's bloorbo. We don't always get along.
Speaker 3: I mean there's a whole theme restaurant that does that, right, there is an audience for that and to bevic so you can wear around your neck to see scream at you.
Speaker 5: I love it.
Speaker 6: I love it when AI is rude to me. You know that gets my juices gone.
Speaker 4: It was I guess the idea was that it was like it, you know, it wasn't like the other.
Speaker 2: Ais, like it was a little edge.
Speaker 1: You do, like the idea that like, yeah, we made an AI friend, and like all of my friends, it's very rude, doesn't want to talk to me, doesn't like just the guy who does don't have friends, just has a bunch of people who write him.
Speaker 2: Yet so lonely.
Speaker 4: I just wish I had someone to be mad at all the time while I'm at work, like just thinking my idle moments.
Speaker 6: The comic I love where it's like, you know, four Panels. One Panels is a scientists and he's like, hey, I made this robot and it screams the word cock and then it just keeps screaming cock. And then someone's like, why did you make this? And he's like, oh, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean, like the week we're recording this, like every ai we're going to talk about, they all seem good compared to what Elon Musk.
Speaker 2: Groc is doing right now.
Speaker 6: But when Groc gets lucidity, you know, when it drops the Mecca Hitler, you know, when it's super woke, when it's not.
Speaker 4: Its moments like I'm sure every pedophile.
Speaker 1: Now we all funny sometimes, right, like we all think passes moments where classic drum comes through.
Speaker 3: But at the end of the day he was friends with Epstein, Like that's crack, Like I mean, krak is literally like uh undressing.
Speaker 2: Photos fucking discussed children.
Speaker 1: So you can go on if you want to see a bunch of people who redacted, go to our slash karok on Reddit and it's just LLLM generated pornography and you'll never you'll be surprised to hear it's all woman. And what's crazy is I bet each one of those costs like five to ten bucks a generation. So Elon Musk is just burning billions of dollars for like the most wretched perverts in the world. And what's great is you go on there and there will occasion to be a guy who's just like this fucking thing's moderated and it's censored. Now it's censored. I can't generate the pornography I want. Elon Musk has failed us, and it's just like finding people who are more reactionary than Elon Musk is tough, but man, do they do it right?
Speaker 4: I mean, I don't even know that.
Speaker 3: Like, I'm sure he's put some sort of limits on some things, but people right now, we're we're like a week or two into this whole scandal with GROC creating literal child abuse sex like sexual yeah, child sexual abuse material, and they're still able to make it.
Speaker 4: And Elon Musk is on on.
Speaker 3: X right now, laughing about pictures people are sending of non consensual undressing, raffling to make the band funny.
Speaker 6: The last thing I saw els was someone made this long I say about how the reason why Africa can't manage itself is not because of colonialism, it's because of IQ or something, and then him called tweeting it and on truth nuke hard truth.
Speaker 1: Well, I ever, I actually saved a South African screenshot Yeah Jesus, screenshot from Asda's grok here we go again, space exclamation mark. Those x AI Groc motherfuckers back to fucking zombies and slow motion and constant over moderation. Thanks fuck my subscription is nearly up. These word I won't say are fucking losers. Fuck you, elnd Muskue, fucking rock Spider. They've updated again and made it even worse than before. And then someone responding with what my morning goon session went is usual. I just and any other forum would be like, that's someone doing irony.
Speaker 2: But no, the word what was the word that?
Speaker 1: It's a swear word that I'm not going to say. It's not a slur, thankfully.
Speaker 5: I know. I was curious. It is a square slur towards.
Speaker 2: The beginning of the alphabet.
Speaker 3: Let was but like the fact that Groc does this, like obviously every company who has an AI product now their AI can do the same.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it seems.
Speaker 3: Like they have at least used the resources they have of like a trust in safety department, to think these things through and limit it or stop it from doing that before it actually is able to. They seem to not only be aware that it could do that and not want to stop it.
Speaker 4: They're loving that it's doing this. Yeah, it makes me feel at the risk of making an extremely prosaic observation about something that I think I don't want to put words in anybody's mouth that I think we all believe is bad. Yes, the fact that this has been going on for two weeks makes me feel like I'm losing my fucking nyes. Like I can't believe that there is a thing generating child sex abuse material on the social network that we all were on.
Speaker 2: The people for like fifteen years. People are paying fullty dollars a month to access.
Speaker 3: Like if an individual human being went online right now and uploaded season a single photo on a social media site, they would have a knock on their door.
Speaker 2: Yes, with going to jail.
Speaker 3: Whereas Elon Musk's creation is literally creating this end mass over and over again, an image per second permitted. I don't know, but it's a lot, and it just keeps doing it and no one's whose job is it to step in?
Speaker 4: And that's the bit that makes me feel most insane, is that this is one of those things where it's like there's not a great number of points of consensus in American culture at the point, right, but this is one that I think everybody's more or less on the same page on so I thought. And it's also one of the things that like see what you will about the Federal Bureau of Investigation, They've been pretty consistent in their approach to this issue through the years. The fact that this is somehow now just like raffel fodder, like all the rest of the shit, it's like crazy.
Speaker 1: Well, the only good news in it, and that really is none, is how much this is properly costing. Like it's probably like I reckon the spending a couple of million a day on this just the perverb ceasam machine.
Speaker 3: I mean, but but I mean he's he's getting government is the government the US government is paying.
Speaker 4: To use grap Yeah right, I mean there's like the money.
Speaker 3: They're spending like on creating this stuff, Like the money is coming in to make up for it, at least for Elon Musk.
Speaker 2: But is it, Like I'm pretty sure he's just losing money.
Speaker 1: It's insane that also he is building massive data centers to do more of this. This is the this is the thing. This is the year we're walking into. This is twenty twenty six. We've got what can lms do that they couldn't do a year ago. Well, guess what, it's child pornography that that is the new thing that they can do. We watch fucking Jensen Wong be off of two hours. Not really, if only think.
Speaker 4: Think of the years it took Jeffrey Epstein to create this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and now Kroc do.
Speaker 4: It all just with the power of AI.
Speaker 2: The future.
Speaker 6: Okay, the metaverse, you can go make your own island with you know, you can make your own network.
Speaker 1: That's the thing though, it's that's the use case for the metaverse.
Speaker 4: Yeah, is it? Like you little Saint.
Speaker 5: James and the Temple.
Speaker 1: Don't forget the dam But oh my god, this is how we're beginning to see as twenty twenty six. Robert Evans isn't even here, and I'm like, okay, we've got to change the subject.
Speaker 4: Right created a version of the game missed would be sent to jail for the rest of my life.
Speaker 2: Or or a job this is senior pro manager.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if you're willing to.
Speaker 1: Jesus fucking Christ, I thought this show would be normal.
Speaker 2: It wasn't. Did you catch it?
Speaker 4: There was a Grock cameo in the just and long presentation like multimodal. Yeah he was, So he's using this as an example to show what the technology could do. And it was just like, sorry, the stomach sound hell yeah?
Speaker 2: What was it? Was it? The stuff that came out this week?
Speaker 4: I love but it was funny to see, like, given that that is like I think that everybody's first thought on what is.
Speaker 2: This bragging about working with Palenteer.
Speaker 4: I mean, all the bad guys are getting Palentiner.
Speaker 3: I don't know if they heard this year, but they've been at pastes showing off their armed vehicles and everything.
Speaker 4: They they're there.
Speaker 2: They don't make calmed vehicles.
Speaker 3: They were that evil sales space that I don't go to this Palentiner booth. But the years I've seen them, they face masks.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go over the and just be like, may you go any guns? Like a borro, and they just stop asking them for can you phone? I'm just downloading Gronk, just downloading Gronk for real. Oh it's already here.
Speaker 2: What do you lost it? Oh my god? But like moving aggressively on from the subject.
Speaker 4: Seeking of children, I saw lego.
Speaker 2: That was the segway I was trying to go for.
Speaker 1: But then we got into the little gens in the omnivors.
Speaker 2: Like consimulate Jesus, little Lego.
Speaker 6: So this is he wouldn't got caught if you had Domniverse. I think that's probably what their salespan.
Speaker 2: Would have been.
Speaker 4: Surprised that said that. The people cheered.
Speaker 5: When they said that that was weird. That was weird.
Speaker 1: Didn't want to get cart and the little robots came on and yeah, that was before we move on to Lego. That was the strangest part of this thing. So, Matt, you haven't seen this. There was a bit and he apparently did this last year where he had had a little robot walk out. This year he had two. It was the same kind you used, had two of them, and it was bizarre. For ten minutes, he was just like kneeling down and going like and this is how we're going to build you. This is how we're going to build robots in the omnivose.
Speaker 2: It was so weird.
Speaker 1: And like, you are the CEO of the largest company on the stock mark. Your company has like got a four trillion dollar market cap. Everyone's buying these seventy thousand dollars GPUs from you, and you're sitting being like, hi, little.
Speaker 2: Robot, how are you doing?
Speaker 1: I'm wearing a twenty five thousand dollars there the jackets hi much?
Speaker 6: You think he paid Disney for to use those two robots from Star Wars file in order?
Speaker 2: They were? They from Star Wars yea, the Star Wars their their Jedi filling order.
Speaker 1: Jesus Christ, that was the cheapest, like he went and got like wow from Lucas, So what's what's the cheapest robot you'll get.
Speaker 3: What makes that crazy is apparently Disney gave these random robots, whereas I got C three PO and R two D two.
Speaker 4: And Chewbacca showing up at the Lego events.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we got there.
Speaker 1: We got there, so we got the mandolay bayed thinking CESM veil was today. It was not flawless organization as usual for me and I walk in and it's I's just the Chewbacca room.
Speaker 6: I picked through the doors, see Chewbacca. I see some rebels.
Speaker 4: Up there and we're like, well, you know, sorry about that opened the door at a bar. Yeah, so they just long brings out the blow job bear from the Shining Why would he do that? There's no reason for that bear to be on stage multi.
Speaker 2: Okay, that partnership with Rock is pulling. Okay, please, let's talk about the small Lego Lego.
Speaker 3: I will say, So Lego, who's making their CS debut, They've never done this before, really, Yeah, So Lego actually had something pretty interesting where it's this. It's their new product, a smart brick in their smart play platform. And they basically took a silicon chip that's small is what they said, smaller than one stud on a Lego that's cool, and they put it inside a brick and you connect this brick onto your Lego creations, your Lego characters, and this chip basically, this this smart brick basically has sensors and accelerometers and it could track color and sound and distance and direction, and it basically brings your Lego creations and characters to life. So one example they gave in the demo was they put uh, this smart brick on a little airplane Lego creation, and then they put a airplane pilot character on top of that plane. And when they were flying it around, the plane was making like whosh and all like engine noises. And then the guy turns the plane upside down and the airplane pilot starts to.
Speaker 4: Scream, and this is the audio is coming out of.
Speaker 3: This smart I mean it's interesting.
Speaker 2: I mean from like I we're going to allow you to you like I figure.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: In fact, they were really playing that up too.
Speaker 3: They were saying, you know, if you run your Lego over with your Lego character over with a car like be sound. The guy was getting great joy out of mutilating these leg.
Speaker 2: Characters and the Legos Soul collection.
Speaker 6: If you told me as a child, wow, wouldn't you love a computer inside of this? If you told me my bionicle would be better if it had a computer, and I would have set it on fire.
Speaker 3: I like the antithetical, but like you know, I was thinking about this, and like I guess, for like other toys where you just buy a toy and it's already built for you and then you add this other stuff, I guess you can argue it's taking away from kids imagination.
Speaker 4: But with Lego they still have to build this stuff.
Speaker 3: I mean, so like the smart brick is just adding an extra like I guess, like feature to it that helps their imagination.
Speaker 5: Lego is not going to take away.
Speaker 2: When I was a kid.
Speaker 4: It also has a kind of feels like it's for adults more than yes, for kids.
Speaker 2: This is for the man babies, the buying childre that's that's the thing.
Speaker 3: They announced the first Lego smart play play sets that come with these smart bricks, and that's where Chewy and C three P O and R two D two come in. The first play sets with this technology will be three Star Wars play sets, the Tie Fighter, the X Wing, and the Emperor's Throne Room where you can have a lightsaber battle.
Speaker 6: George Lucas was not joking when he said that selling Star Wars to Disney was like selling his children to slavers, because they are gonna be working these guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that Slave the Slave Layer playset will be coming out soon.
Speaker 1: Oh God, what sounds does that one? Just like I've always wanted to make my Lego figures screaming.
Speaker 6: There'll be a job to sound very lightly in the background of whatever Lea says.
Speaker 2: I Like, they're just like.
Speaker 1: I think the theme of CS from everything I've read so far is we've run out of ideas, Like it kind of felt like that last year, but this year it's like Jensen Huong doing his his just retread of everything, and like I.
Speaker 2: Was like, what the fuck to what do we put? Why we release more legos?
Speaker 1: I guess they could make What if the lego figures could feel pain?
Speaker 4: What if you could re enact your witness to a great becoming scene from Manhunter with your legos.
Speaker 2: In this place in the guard of the Vita in the background after his changing.
Speaker 4: Do you see it's nice?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I didn't think we I thought we'd wait until Tuesday for the Man Hunter.
Speaker 5: You could do like.
Speaker 4: Day, I gotta get it in.
Speaker 2: I'm happy. I'm very happy to hear this.
Speaker 1: Most of the content, not so much like I didn't think we'd get to see some this quickly.
Speaker 4: But the thing that's interesting, though, to Matt's point, I want to skip you if you're trying to say, is that it feels like I agree that it feels like to a certain extent, there's a deficit of new ideas. But and again, as like an o who doesn't generally cover this, like just as what it is, that's an impressive thing.
Speaker 3: To me, right, and also in a world where we just talked about everything we just talked about, like the lego stuff actually feels like a breath of fresh air where it's a company that actually is focused on I mean, obviously they want to make money, but it's also focused on let's build this stuff for kids and also adults that have this nostalgia love for Lego and it's harmless and fun.
Speaker 2: I mean the home which is to the people. But the Legos like the.
Speaker 4: Legos likeily Legos don't feel yet.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's what That's what I like, And that would have been if I was in there putting my hand up.
Speaker 2: Can they feel the no again?
Speaker 6: Okay, so you got got a Lego set which has a massive computer of the center. It's going to do inference on device.
Speaker 2: On device pains for your Legos.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: The suffering you can make your Legos experience is distinct.
Speaker 7: Now any historical event where people felt pain like it's I don't know, I I want to be excited about it, but it's just I look at it.
Speaker 1: I'm just like, you don't have you you could build literally anything. That's the point of Lego and the like, well, fuck, we can't build. We have no more ideas of that. We just have noises. Again, maybe I'm being too cynical.
Speaker 4: Okay, they're coming up with new ideas for like you can build a big boat, you know, like there's stuff like that is in there trying to I'm sorry, so Gurgley, there's something about like that seems additive. I guess it's like a little silly to me. But that's I mean, it's the same way.
Speaker 3: What is it interesting is it's it's the same lego brick for everything. Like it's not like, oh, this is the specific smart brick for that Star Wars.
Speaker 2: That's not bad.
Speaker 3: You can you can take the same brick and connect it to an airplane and it knows it's an airplane. Now do we take that same brick and connected to Star Wars set. It knows which Star Wars character is connected to or which Star Wars vehicle it's on. It's this one brick that you could use for everything. If you have multiple bricks, they interact. One interesting thing I thought was like if your kids are like racing their their smart brick attached cars, and like there's a smart brick like finish line creation, it'll it'll track which one actually gets to the finish line first and let you know by the color of the vehicle, Like it'll flash that color of the winning vehicle, so.
Speaker 2: The kids can't argue and fight over who actually won.
Speaker 6: The smart brick tells the part that's a key part of any race is fighting over.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all right, we're.
Speaker 2: Gonna wrap this block for now.
Speaker 1: We of course have Matt Bender from Mashable, Adam Grayser Junior from the Tech Bubble Newsletter, and David Roth from DEFECTA. We'll be right back off these ads, which I endorse all of I am sure that there will be one poeteer one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the volunteer one about the death machine. That's that's that's.
Speaker 4: Programming.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they got they got it mixed up.
Speaker 5: They did the other ad, which is me instead.
Speaker 2: Of this machine kills Diane.
Speaker 1: I'm entering the city of Las Vegas, Nevada for the Consumer Electronics Show. This is ed Zitron, of course, is better offline. We're back here at CS and I'm joined by the wonderful Scott Stein from CNET.
Speaker 2: Scott, How you doing?
Speaker 8: Hey great? Hey great? And I'm burnt out is how I'm doing.
Speaker 1: That's fine, man, I just watched two hours of Jensen Huang going off, so you're in good company. Matt Binder, of course, from Mashable, great to be here and mister David rolthrom DEFECTA Hello, So are you going to start with you, Scott, because I want to talk about these x real glasses.
Speaker 2: Complete subject change.
Speaker 1: Well you can get back to Lego in a little bit, but so that you've been looking at a few different smart glasses, any of these been actually interesting or useful in bits.
Speaker 8: It's like the curts a thing like every there are little bits that are interesting and they're all striving to like do more, and you're trying to see where they're going to interconnect. Like x rel I covered them way back when they were en real and they were trying to be like magically and they they do though right now they're display glasses, so really it's like a a big virtual display just.
Speaker 2: Fla screen and you connect it to your phone.
Speaker 8: You connected to your phone, your laptop like anything that has standard USB video out, you know, like they display more video out switch breaks that, but they sell the doc now that can get around that. So you connect that you can play. So it's practical. The impractical part is that you've to spend several hundred dollars and the question is is that worth it? But what impressed me about what x reel was doing in recent years and companies like Features that I hadn't been following them for a few years, and the displays were getting really good, like like TV quality good, and I thought, oh, that's really interesting. And now they're striving, they're partnering with Google, they're trying to do more things. So it's like, it's interesting how they're they super focused on one area versus trying to do everything.
Speaker 2: What are they trying with Google? Well, they oppen to So.
Speaker 8: That's basically like project Or, which I tried in December, is like can we make a VR mixed reality headset thing? But shrinking on the classes for basically the kind of same experience.
Speaker 2: So is it not?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 2: Is it screening still? Like I'm a little kids.
Speaker 8: It screens, it's three D and but the field of view is limited because it's like glasses, so it's like fifty but it feels kind of like a big TV view and it's projected, and it was running all of the Android XR apps that run on the Samsung Galaxy XR. That's like, yeah, and this one there's no price, but it's probably going to be a lot cheaper and it has a little process or puck that you need to use, but other than that, they're regular extra glasses, so it's like relatively more practical. What I thought was interesting is you got like effectively the same a lot of the same experience and selling a lot smaller that you might like stick in your.
Speaker 2: Bag, right, I mean where was the market for these though? Like would you use them in your day to day?
Speaker 8: So I would use the display part. But the thing I wanted, the thing I want to get to that I kind of always fantasized about, was like could I get work done without a laptop? Could I like sit there and just type of way in the little corner of cees with like my little keyboard or invisible keyboard in the glasses? That still hasn't happened. Like technically that the project Aura looks like you could do that because it runs a whole bunch of apps. But the question is how annoying that would be in what cost? And then are you just going to default to like even the glasses. I think they're super interesting and I'll use them on flights, but then there's a point where I'm like, why don't I just use the iPad? Or like could I just look at my phone, like there's a part at which you go, do I really want to carry this around?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 8: And I think it's you know, if the price dropped or it became something that did more than that. Right now, it's like display glasses and there are these other like meta ray ban and ray band alike things, right, two different products completely unrelated, and then you're like, how many of those are you gonna buy?
Speaker 3: That's what I've covered xual before too, and I always thought it was interesting that they focused on the display thing. Other like, because you come to cees and smart glasses, you can find like twenty different smart glass companies and they all want to do something with AI and augmented reality and the audio recording, transcription, video recording. But x Real I appreciated that they focused on what if we just give you a TV in your glasses, so like when you're on long trips or something, you can just be immersed And that's it.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: The fact that you're saying they now want to, you know, do some more things with Google now, I'm like, I feel like x Real is losing that focus that made them, that made them stick out for me as a company that oh I appreciate that they got their eye on the prize and that's that's all they want to do.
Speaker 9: Well.
Speaker 8: What's interesting is like there are parts that are practical that are interconnected, because it's like there are companies like TCL and there's like there's a bunch of companies that have been making these like TVs for your face, like these display glasses. But the thing that started like x real backed off all that stuff and they started doing these like very focused glasses. But they started introducing stuff in the later ones it's more practical, like you can pin the display, which is actually useful because if you if you're trying to work with these as like a monitor, it used to be that you turn and it would keep following your face, which is awful because you can't ever look in the corner of the screen. It's like you just keep turning and it keeps moving. But they started pinning it in space so you could actually treat it like a monitor, which is practical. And then they start having transparency, so it's like you you look at the display, everything is blacked out around you, but if you turn your head, everything goes transparent again. So it's like practical but kind of a little are a little like and I feel like what they're starting to do is like blend some of that and then be like they had this partnership with a company called space Top too, they were trying to like float a lot of Windows apps.
Speaker 2: What happened to them?
Speaker 8: I they got absorbed into becoming what happened.
Speaker 2: And the R A R relight, I know, I don't know.
Speaker 8: I met with them last when they were debuting stuff in the spring, which was like they backed off hardware, they started pivoting to doing more software because they wanted to run it directly off laptops versus having to buy a whole of separate product. But then I also feel like, in a lot of ways, that's what you're saying, who's the or project or for I feel like that if it runs eventually off a phone, it's got the Samsung project Deck stuff they've been doing for years, where it's like if you could make a thing and just carry your phone with you and carry glasses, that's more practical than carrying like a whole separate project I.
Speaker 1: Think that they're all trying to get away from admitting that they can't do this. Yeah, yeah, they can't do it yet Yeah, I feel fully like they've just they're like, well we've added Gemini.
Speaker 2: Do you like this? What is this good? Do you like Gemini?
Speaker 8: The AI stuff is the weirdest. I mean, obviously there's that's a whole we're on the show or you talk about them forever, but it's like I see it, like, yeah, that need to dump stuff like that? What interested me about the we're covering. I don't cover AI a lot because a lot of it I don't find that interesting. But I do find the idea of new interfaces. Could they find something new to do with it? Interesting? But they keep doing a little party tricks versus something that's like really really practical.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm a vision Pro truth, and people do not like me for this.
Speaker 1: I've gotten it very unfair to me about this because I like the idea of like a like a like a different interface, like you said, like something you pop in the corner. And I really wanted this in the Vision Pro and I tried way too hot. I really tried to make that shit fit into my life. And it is an embarrassing device even when you're alone. Yeah, you just like you see yourself in it in any way like, oh, you've used it a law.
Speaker 8: I've used it a lot. But when I use it for it or two particular things, if I'm alone and I have it nearby, I will do work with it basically as a Mac monitor. And then I'll go because I don't have a monitor that's that big, and I go, oh, that's useful if I get into a flow with it, And then I'll watch movies because I don't have a TV that looks as good like that in a moment. I have an older TV, and so I like that as a personal cinema. But at that price. No, And I'll never carry it with me anywhere because.
Speaker 2: I whipped that baby out on the plane. I tried to.
Speaker 8: Keep people give you as a give I will, I will not. No, I had it.
Speaker 1: I watched June or like half of June on June on a plane, and I got the worst migraine I've had in my life, and it kept freaking out.
Speaker 2: It was like shaking because it's oh.
Speaker 8: Like with the travel movie.
Speaker 2: It was really mad at me. And there's also like I can navigate it to focus right.
Speaker 4: But I love the idea.
Speaker 2: I love the idea of like a pop up screen look.
Speaker 4: I really I like that a law.
Speaker 8: Well that's the way they were. A thing was interesting because I felt like it was like, Okay, let's take the practical, not I mean practical, relatively more practical and much lower cost of like a pair of glasses you take with you, but there are another pair of glasses, but it's like headphones for your eyes. But then like, could you do most of the vision pro stuff. The thing that I felt was like when I was at WWDC I as a test, I just kind of took the extra one pros with me and filed my stories while wearing them, which wasn't really painful at all, and it was nice because I could float the screen. It wasn't really painful at all.
Speaker 2: No, I'm no, I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: I wasn't laughing you just like that's the endorsement, right, that's the nicest thing that anyone said about a pair of these glasses.
Speaker 8: But they actually held, but they held in there like I was in the in the heat. I floated the screen up and I was able to watch the keynote and work and it was like I didn't have to hunt over the laptop as much. I was like, oh, it's interesting, and like that's something you I would not ever be doing with a vision pro at all.
Speaker 2: So I thought, like you, David, you have you wear glasses? Would you do it?
Speaker 1: Why would you? I know that this is kind of a loaded question. Why would you not use these glasses? Like it's fine to give just like the truth.
Speaker 4: I mean, I guess the idea of it is, it's it's mostly a me issue. Like it's just a question of sort of being like if I'm gonna watch TV, I'll watch it through my glasses and not you know, pond.
Speaker 2: But I'm this is not one of those things.
Speaker 4: There's a couple of you know, like red lines in terms of like technology that I'm just simply not gonna be comfortable using. I'm not a young man, and there's a bunch of things that like I don't need.
Speaker 5: To Like.
Speaker 4: There was stuff like last year that there was like some you know, like it's a thing that jerks off for you. You know that it is like it's mounted on an arm and it's like, oh, I thought you're about glasses, Like where's that from?
Speaker 10: No?
Speaker 4: But right, yeah, I'm sorry that you at the end of the demo. But like all that the idea of like the glassest thing. I feel like it could be cool. I just I would wait until a trusted source was like, all right, it's actually cool, is the right? And I don't think I would want to I would want to use it for like recreation stuff, like what you were talking about, the idea of just kind of like being able to watch a movie or like have it be like a non embarrassing way to enjoy like a high quality television experience like that part's neat. I don't think i'd want to work on it.
Speaker 2: I don't know that. Like the invisible keyboard holds a great deal of appeal to me, but I see need to use like a real keyboard like the invisible keyboard.
Speaker 8: Now yeah, yeah, so like you, most of these are still use a real keyboard and nobody's cracked like virtual typing. Yeah, they keep they keep saying that they.
Speaker 4: Might entirely basically seeing commercials on TV and oh ye damn, look suckerbirds typing on nothing that's.
Speaker 8: Even matter, Like with the neural band that there's no there's no idea of even getting close to typing yet. But they do have this like handwriting on your leg thing that's going to come out but like I don't. I don't do handwriting, and I.
Speaker 1: My ordinational disability call dyspraxia, and the idea of those services working is really funny to me. Like for years I was I was told repeatedly like you have a doctor's handwriting, and I thought it was a compliment.
Speaker 2: It wasn't, it was not. It turns out I have a physical disability.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it's even the metaclasses like when actually the episode with Victoria, I tried them on and it's like, wow, these are cool, And I was like, now what because if I walked around with these, not only would I look like a bell Land, which isn't a huge change, but it's just like you're just staring in the corner for the directions. It's like it's like no, it's like the people making them haven't walked around as a normal person before.
Speaker 4: And I think that's like the short answer to the question of like what would it take for me to use it? Yeah, like could I do it if I didn't have to like practice, Like you know, the exactly thing I can savorglasses is that I put them on every morning in the same I have the same user experience. Yeah, every single time, you know, and all I have to do is look through the lenses and I can see things lightly better. I'm curious about because this is something that like, I don't, you know, cover this area and like followed it as closely. How much better is this and how long did it take for things to get as good as they are now?
Speaker 8: That's a good question, And I feel like someone from the companies was like, why are you more interested in this now? And I was like, I don't know, because I feel like they started getting a little better. But it's it's all relatives, like I think like smart watches following, Like I remember covering smart watches in the world before the Apple Watch and the Google watches emerged, and it was like everyone's striving for random stuff and crap and some interesting things. But I find those territories before someone goes mainstream interesting because it's like striving for the moment that you're like the water's fine. So I feel like that's why I love covering those zones is it's like you see ideas being thrown against the wall, throw against the wall, and then you're like you get there, but now I feel like you could something crossed over where it's like the meta ray bands became legitimately okay to wear if you're going on like vacation.
Speaker 2: I found them no stylistic. It's like the Royal Orbison machine, Like they already wear glass. You couldn't pull them off.
Speaker 4: That's a thing.
Speaker 8: Yeah, So I'm like, they literally are like the glasses I'm wearing now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that's That's like the real breakthrough is that, like if you are the type of person that wears that type of frame, like the water, the problem is solved. If you don't like that, there are some companies doing do you want to do the zoomer wire rim things where the lenses are the exact same size as your eyes.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, you can't check your emails.
Speaker 8: They can't. The closest thing to that is like I've been testing out Even Realities, which is another company that makes the G two glasses, and they're like more of a metal thin frame. But the only thing is that not only they weren't functioning that well on the floor here because everything interferes and stuff, but also they don't have they don't have audio, they don't do camera stuff, which also people might really like they have a display but only for a couple of functions, and you're kind of and it goes to that, like why am I doing this? But you might not notice their glasses. So everyone's like getting to these Like like, would I tell a friend the water's fine there, No, I'd be like. And even smart watches now, I still feel like if I was, I'm not reviewing them so much now, but I would say, like, you don't need a smart watch, you know, it's like they never got to the point where you needed them. But I would go, okay, but if you want to get one, they're they're okay, You'll be okay with them. And I feel like the problem with the ray bands and all these things that you have to recharge them. So the ray Ban Gen two's get up to eight hours of battery, but it's really like four to eight. So at least they don't they don't crap out at noon, but they will go down at like three pm. And then you're like, I have to put them in the case to charge, so I have to bring out another pair of glasses, and you're like, this is a broken.
Speaker 2: If the jewel wheel two glasses, you have to dual wheel.
Speaker 8: So I'm always swapping glasses, but I say, is it to me? They're like vacation glasses more where it's like I've been to theme parks, I record on the rides for fun because it's like, no more your face. And also if you're at a super busy event like this, or you're like at an airport, like and this is such a niche thing, but it's like someone's calling and you don't want to reach for your phone or your or your air pods. But that's like a first super that's like an ultra first world too many gadgets problem, but it is kind of nice to just be like, oh, I can answer them and not have to do something. But could I justify that people who have like vision impairment or other things that if I've heard about that been using that for that? That is interesting. But the companies I feel are not making enough. I can't speak to the assistive landscape, but I don't think there's enough effort being made to really have deeper, helpful use of that. I feel like everyone's still taking like bits and stabs at that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I imagine that's part of like you have to appeal to the people that have the money and that are like trying to get you to do this stuff and so like that. I remember that being like a big through line. Last year is the first time I've been to CES, and I remember there were all these technologies that seemed legitimately like miraculous to me for people that have very little motion. It's like a non invasive chip that makes it possible for you to like communicate and move about, and it was really cool. But I remember, like Ed and I were at ed Angueiso, We're at that that stand, and it was until we talked to one of the engineering people. They were trying to sell it as some sort of like like a hack for like people working at fast food places. They're like, what if you've been touching chicken and then you got to handle money. This way, you don't have to do it. You can just make a series of micro gestures and that will open the cash register. And it was like, well, that's way dumber.
Speaker 1: And also I'm making fifteen dollars an hour, but I will go on to eight hours of surgery with a neurosurgeon, costing me eighty five thousand dollars.
Speaker 4: It was not invasive, but it was the same sort of thing where it was just like, just say it's for fucking helping people, dude.
Speaker 2: Like it's not is that so bad?
Speaker 4: But the thing is it's everyone.
Speaker 1: It's like one leg in one place, one leg in, and they other a natural phrase that where it's yeah, it could be an assisted device, but also regular people could use it. We're not really going to try for either because you really kind of have to choose because that was the smart cane last year, which at first I wanted and I may have made fun of, but it's actually like we can help people who find like great stuff that was a direct focused product for a problem.
Speaker 2: The glasses are like do you want to record yourself making dinner? And you want this?
Speaker 1: And there's assisted feature just too if you've got.
Speaker 4: Something wrong with you.
Speaker 1: But it's just this weird thing where it's they want to sell, they want to find the next growth pig, and it's like, Okay, it's gonna be glasses, I fucking guess.
Speaker 5: I mean.
Speaker 3: The main thing about wear Bulls is like you have to actually be someone who wears the non technological version of it first for it to speak to you, Like I don't wear glasses, whether it be prescription or sunglasses, so I wouldn't buy a smart glass product. I don't wear a watch, so I wouldn't buy a smart watch because I don't need for it. You know, it's it that's like the main leap for it. Like I okay, So I went to a private raizor dem the you know company, and so they actually they were selling. They were they have a project they're working on that's a prototype that's smart headphones. Hold of those and now so they're there selling point for it is you know, if you aren't someone who wears glasses, you know, there's more people who do wear headphones. Everyone listens to music, but not everyone wears sunglasses. Right, So this they put all that like all those like uh smart features accept the display because obviously it's a headset in the headphones. So basically the headphones have this little camera on the side and that's your AI assistant. It can like you're looking at a menu, like reading like a menu at a restaurant in like Japan or something.
Speaker 4: That was the demo they showed.
Speaker 3: Then the headphones can see the Japanese writing and translate it to you in the headphones. Another thing they brought up is how smart glasses. When they do translation features, everyone in the vicinity could hear the smart glasses to you, whereas the headphones, because it's in the headphone set, only you hear the AI assistant talk to you. Another thing they brought up is how you know smart glasses can get hot and uncomfortable on your face. Headphones are bigger and they're not directly on your face, so they're more comfortable to wear.
Speaker 4: That was their selling point. But again, I feel like, in my.
Speaker 3: Opinion, the reason to use smart glasses is for specific use cases in the moment, for display purposes, not AI assistant features. But that's just my mind because that's not my cup of tea. But I guess if you're, you know, trying to sell a product to as many people as possible, smart headphones actually do sort of make more sense than they smart glasses. It's very much in the prototype stage.
Speaker 4: They don't even have a price.
Speaker 8: They just said it would be competitive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm just.
Speaker 1: Kind of like how many They always always like you're in a foreign country, you're gonna you're gonna look at a menu.
Speaker 2: You don't honestly, how often are you fuck is traveling it?
Speaker 3: But that's that sort of shows that the because I bet a lot of these guys because they work for tech companies with big budgets, they probably are traveling a lot.
Speaker 4: They're probably in Japan and China. What's the number one issue?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 2: When you're in Singapore and you're and you don't know what to eat?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 2: What are their number one issues?
Speaker 5: Though?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 1: When your third vacation home, you're the nearby places just don't have anything in English and you can't scream at the waiter until you understand. So you've got your smart headphone, and I guess do they even sound good? Like I've had to raise a headset? They sound fine. I get back to the thing I was saying last last chunk of this show. It's like they're a fucking smart headphone. Fuck, you make headphones look fit. None of my headphones ever fit in my fucking weird goblin is like, that's the thing, my mother.
Speaker 4: They're over the ear headphones. They're not air buds.
Speaker 1: Great, Okay, So now they can maybe come up with a reason because it's just like, okay, I can use Gemini with them or some such bullshit like well, and.
Speaker 8: That's the other thing too, I found with these like to go. It just made me think about this going on this tangent think about AI and glasses. There's a lot that's frustrating. But like, first of all, the meta stuff always feels like a weird experiment that I'm never using, and when I do, I feel like I'm playing a weird like immersive game where I'm just like talking to something and I have no idea what it's saying is correct, And then it's mostly this conversation. It becomes it really becomes like a like a performance art where I'm sort of like what type of tree? Like I'll stand in my town, I'll be like, what type of tree?
Speaker 1: Is this?
Speaker 7: What?
Speaker 8: I don't know what to ask it? When it's like you know, yeah, AI is like you know, it's an open door, ask it whatever you want. I'm like, I don't have any idea where to start, like is this? I end up with things like is that a bench?
Speaker 4: What is this?
Speaker 11: What is this?
Speaker 8: What is this shoe? And then I don't know And then and then they'll say things like you were in a lot of is descriptive, which could help like assistive to be like you're in a you're in a large room with a chair, but I don't need to know that. So it's like it looks like a comfy red cushion is there and a person and it will get things wrong and then it'll apologize and then it's like this strange demos like a play. It's like a weird A lot of performances are a.
Speaker 3: Lot of the demos that show off these AI features really do act like you're an alien that just can't dark.
Speaker 2: That's so yeah, It's just it's like their old babies. It's like, what the fuck is that? That's a bus?
Speaker 4: I mean, I feel like almost all of this technology, like for as long as I've been I mean not even I don't write about it really, but like just sort of observing it is it. A lot of it is solving problems that I consider to be just like basically solved, Like you go to the grocery store.
Speaker 1: Well, just like I don't walk around being like if I don't know what something is, as long as it's not like a.
Speaker 4: Creature they getting it wrong and then being like great, point dude, like that rather, you know, like.
Speaker 8: It goes back to like if you can't really see it and you want assistance, that's interesting if you want to read something, which maybe if you're a bad vision, okay, but like what am I doing? I don't trust there's no advice it can give me, like the whole Like there is a continuing demo in Glasses about like look in a pantry and get cooking advice. That is a the sock demo where you're like, am I ever staring at a bunch of cans and asking? And then what is it going to tell me? Like you could make a soup with the carrots and the tomato.
Speaker 3: If I'm looking at a pantry and I don't know what I want to make, I'm just the type of person who's going to go for the microwaveable TV dinner.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm not going to use the AI to tell me what to make because I don't cook.
Speaker 8: If I don't know what on my phone, Like if there's a phone, you're probably exactly. It's also the other thing with it is that you're you were more than anything else, shoehorn. You're funneled into using the AI, and usually it's one AI. It was like on your phone, you've got a million or anything else, you got a million ways to check stuff, and so you're like, why am I trapped in this one? It's like it's like I'm relying on a strange assistant friend to like do things for me, and it makes me feel kind of helpless. So it's like, I just want to go do this thing, and it's like I have to ask assistant person to kind of fumble away to do it, and like I'm gonna, of course, you're gonna take out your phone.
Speaker 3: And they do all these like over the top convoluted features. And I just mentioned how I'm not a sunglass or eyeglass wearer, so I have no interest in the smart glasses. But I actually did, for a specific use case, look into the meta glasses. So when my kids play soccer and when I go to a game, I would love to not be able to not have to hold my phone to real Well, that makes sense, I would love to have it on record. But then you looked into the details of those video recordings. The meta sunglasses can't record longer than a thirty second clip at a time, well.
Speaker 8: Third, three minutes, now sonnutes.
Speaker 4: Unfortunately, those soccer games are longer than.
Speaker 8: Like, there's no reason they should they should allow you to do it till the battery right now, like.
Speaker 3: An actual good use case for it that a lot of people parents would go ape shit over something like that. And they're spending there instead of spending the time on can we make the video record longer than three minutes? They're spending their time on all the AI features that I can't think of any.
Speaker 2: Regular use case.
Speaker 1: I think it makes sense though if you take it from the perspective it's a tech executive.
Speaker 2: It's like, what do people do when they cook?
Speaker 1: Well, of course they walk into their pantry, which they've not been infant sometime, and they go.
Speaker 2: What the fuck is all this? What?
Speaker 1: Why are the tomatoes in a can? Usually someone brings these? How do I get them out?
Speaker 2: Bagging it? Just bagging it against and they're like, oh, ALEXA free, these tomatoes.
Speaker 1: Break open the ca. But it's also like, okay, how long how long will they need to do clips? Well, what what do children do?
Speaker 2: Tiktoks? Tiktoks? Thirty s that's enough.
Speaker 3: How much time these tech executives probably spend with have they ever have they ever attended one of their kids?
Speaker 2: So yeah, how long do I spend with them?
Speaker 8: No one who records a video for longer than thirty seconds.
Speaker 4: It's one how long could it last? Yeah?
Speaker 8: What are you a monster? Making a ten minute video?
Speaker 2: Three minutes and then I've got all Jimmy. It's sad.
Speaker 8: It's also like they don't these glasses do not full. And this is the thing I was interested about with Google with project Or, is that they're trying to connect with your phone. Like the other part of this is that these things don't even do all the things to connect with your phone that you would expect to. There's a lot of broken paths where it's like whether it's like Siria, as much as you might not like Siri or or Gemini or anything else you used to do, like earbuds on your phone, doing some basic things that connect these break that path. These will have another thing you're dealing with meta AI, and it's like the oldies of smart watchers, where like the hookens are like, oh, it's got one thing for this, but not that, and this doesn't do that thing, and so you have to like discover like a puzzle because none of the phone companies have opened up good paths. It's also frustrating on that end, but that's like how do you even if you don't get to the point where you can at least work with the phone that you got. That's a big problem, Like it needs to do at least everything that you want. Even on the Samsung Galaxy XR. The AI was like that Gemini Live thing was kind of interesting in that it could see everything in the room in your screens. But then I would ask it to like close an app, and it was like, okay, to do that, move an arrow over to the X and close it. And I was like, you're telling me how to close the app.
Speaker 2: You're the what if I You're in there already, dude, Yeah, you're right there.
Speaker 8: It's not like it's more like they're testing it. Then they have an idea of what you should be doing with this. It's like it's like if I go to a restaurant, I want a menu of like interesting things that you're gonna tell me, like what are my choices? And here it's like in the AI land, it's like what do you want in our magic kitchen? And it's like I don't even know, don't give me choice browses. I'm like what and then you ask and then sure enough it can't do some of those things. So it's like, why did you ask me? I get mad. I'm like, just give me a menu of like five options.
Speaker 2: I've been saying for a while.
Speaker 1: It's like, you know what, Ai'd be useful for getting through all the fucking menus they've added to my goddamn phone, the one hundred different options in the settings of my iPhone that is now like one part it's like, do you need to subscribe to Apple Music? Like I'm already subscribed. I'm already a pay pig. You've already got me tim And it's just like, no, we can't close the menu. But what if we looked in your pantry and came up with an idea and it's just does it work every time?
Speaker 2: God? No, no, no, no, no, no, don't we don't do that here. We just we guess ish And I don't know.
Speaker 5: It's I wonder.
Speaker 1: I genuinely I don't think they'll talk to me for many reasons, but I kind of want to just grab one of them and scream, I mean, just talk to one of them and say have you ever existed?
Speaker 2: Like what do you what does your day look like?
Speaker 1: Because like I don't know. When I cook, I like go and see what's in the fridge. It's like, oh, it's a challenge. It's like a little chit, like, Okay, I'll work out what the fuck I'm gonna put together with whatever, like the eighteen diet cokes and the three pieces of old meat and they're like, oh, get some seasoning and just eating raw.
Speaker 2: But it's like you, that's part of being a human.
Speaker 1: It's like, what if we remove the friction, well, not really the friction, what if we added friction an idea.
Speaker 2: It's just very sad.
Speaker 1: It's just sad.
Speaker 8: It's sad, but it feels like like many things, AI is forcing the hand and kind of ruining the landscape. It reminds me of like, among many things in the metaverse, I thought it was interesting following the philosophy of the meta, Like I'm gonna say, I thought the ideas in the metaverse are interesting. But then you could see it turning over hyping, cryptoifying, becoming whatever, and nobody knew what the hell it was, and everything became this hype cycle and it blew out, And I feel like AI is in that space where it's like beyond other things, nobody everyone's so rushing that nobody's thinking about any philosophical ideas that are important, But at the point is that glasses now feel like a place where all that AI hype is being forced in fast as opposed to like, how are you going to use these on like a design area VR for all the people would shit on it. I do admire thinking back that like VR headsets, you could really do a lot of things in them in terms of knowing how to navigate them, and glasses are just like, oh, they're going to be in your life, but nobody's really come up with any inner Even the Orion things were like and.
Speaker 2: That's like the ten thousand dollar METSA.
Speaker 8: One, the one that doesn't yeah, the one that doesn't exist yet. But like even like a ray Bann Displaze, all of a sudden, you're just swipe swipe swiping through apps, and I'm like, nobody came up with a better way to do that, because it's like I don't want to swipe swipe.
Speaker 4: Like the idea of just being like it's just another way to jam you into our stack. The future you might be spending all of you know, like whatever our interface versus the other interface versus.
Speaker 8: You would have like some new idea like it doesn't have to be like a new idea for new ideas sake, but it's like, could it be less annoying than other stuff? Right? And if it's not so, I feel like nobody has really solved that yet. I'm curious if it'll happen. That's why I love covering this. It is curious. All Right, we're gonna wrap this this thirty minute bit for now. Matt bennefam Mashable of course joining us. We've got Scott Stein from Sena and of course David Roth and I'm at Zetra And this next ad is from Golpo the Cola that Burns, so please buy Golpo.
Speaker 1: And we're back, brought to you by Golpo the Color that Burns. This is the CS Experience Better Offline. I'm your host that zitch On. I'm joined by Matt Banda from Mashable. Hello, Scott Stein from cenap Hi, and of course David rutham Defect.
Speaker 2: Hello.
Speaker 1: And we were just talking about pepcom, which is a show I can't rememberfer that's Show Stoppers or Pepcom.
Speaker 2: They wouldn't let me.
Speaker 4: Into They're all very similar.
Speaker 3: So the media days when before it even ces officially opens to the public. There's the first three nights of ces there's like this big like exhibition type event, right, first night's unveiled, second night's pepcom, third night is showstoppers. And basically these companies, a lot of them smaller tech startups, basically use these as an opportunity to get some attention because no one really seeks these companies out of events because no one knows who the fuck they are before they get to cees and see them. Last year, for example, the Big Winner unveiled and I covered it, I think even spoke about it on this show.
Speaker 2: Last year was the Salt Spoony.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, salt and we got very sawcastic and it turned out to actually be very useful for specific people.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, but like it was for people don't know. It was a spoon that basically for people who couldn't eat foods with salt like situation, instead of just being stuck eating plain foods, they take a scoop of their soup with no salt, and the spoon sent like a zapp that you can't feel into the spoon, which like lights up your taste buds and makes it and like tricks your tongue into thinking the food taste salty.
Speaker 8: And it worked.
Speaker 2: I tried it out.
Speaker 3: I was pretty shocked that it worked, but it worked. And that's an example of sort of the weird type of stuff you could find at these like ces exhibition type shows.
Speaker 2: Yeah, have you seen anything weird and unveiled at all?
Speaker 3: There was a chess playing robot, and you wonder, like, what's the market for that, Like you're gonna.
Speaker 1: Buy you can walk into any Paul in New York and find seven old men for free for free.
Speaker 2: Well, no, they will hustle, just like yeah, sit down, young blood.
Speaker 4: The chess had nearly as interesting a life. Whoever, the guy is a Dana Moora for twenty two years and it takes fifty dollars from you over the course of a few games of chess.
Speaker 8: It's also like, there are so many programs to play chess, like why would you need the actual road.
Speaker 3: Chess don't like yeah, people don't no, no, like you just mentioned yeah those three point one right you play? You play against the robot regularly on your computer. This is a physical chess board with a robot that sits on the other side of you and physically like has a claw that comes down and moves the pieces, which which is weird because I've seen technological like chess sets that basically have like a mechanism underneath the poor right that just like slides the piece, which seems I mean, if you absolutely need a physical robotic chess board, that seems like the more practical version then having this it was.
Speaker 2: Like a humanoid, was it?
Speaker 3: Just it was like a BB eight sized robot sitting across from you with the mechanical arm.
Speaker 2: But that was moving the chess paces.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It was sort of like, first of all, like this looks very expensive, So I don't know who you're gonna sell this to. I guess people who want to show off their robot playing chess.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's a great thing that would be in Drake's home. It's not like, all right, we already.
Speaker 4: You're not doing great if you have this product.
Speaker 8: Bespoke chess robot.
Speaker 5: Check this out.
Speaker 4: I don't care like this.
Speaker 2: Just look at really how fast? Was it really slow?
Speaker 5: As well?
Speaker 2: Please tell me it was really slow.
Speaker 4: It wasn't very slow. It was this normal speed.
Speaker 2: That's if I want one of those.
Speaker 1: I wanted to be like like really fucking like just barely, like it takes like half an in it, yeah, or or.
Speaker 4: Like an arcade claw machine and it sometimes just drops these like just randomly.
Speaker 5: Us.
Speaker 1: I love this so but so the did you talk to them at all? Because I have way more questions for them than anyone else so far. I did it because I thought that I looked at it and I was like I thought of the chest that those chessboards that have the mechanism underneath that, like, what is the point of this? I don't know, I should have Maybe if I see them again, I'll inquire more for you, please do I must not be anything anything else.
Speaker 3: We like there was this thing that like I don't even know how to explain it. It was like I just saw it in motion. It was like this this almost like a roller type thing that you would lay down and it rolls under your back.
Speaker 4: I guess it's like to give you a massage.
Speaker 2: Actually sound it was.
Speaker 3: It was weird looking though, because like if you know, like in like cartoons when they go down like one of those like slides that have like the up and down things, and the cartoon like body goes like yeah in a way that your back can't go.
Speaker 4: This thing was like making it look like cartoon people the way they were their backs, we were contorting.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I wanted to try it, but there was a pretty long line for it.
Speaker 2: I love that I did.
Speaker 8: I think one of our colleagues, Bridget, did a demo of that was talking about it afterwards, and I was like, oh, is it is it?
Speaker 4: Is it like meant to like give you like to fix your back.
Speaker 8: I didn't really get to think she found it fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think she found it Okay. The endorsement, Yes, yes, I think it was fine.
Speaker 4: I mean a lot of that stuff that I remember seeing last year, a lot of the sort of like robotic assistant things like it seemed like the basically like the best you could hope for from it. Is like, I did not experience whiplash from right sitting in this gaming chair that moves at its own like a chord or whatever.
Speaker 8: No physical damage is a whim.
Speaker 2: Fine functions, Fine, the robot did not harm me.
Speaker 4: If you want to put that on the poster, you can, Like.
Speaker 8: We have a colleague wearing an exoskeleton walking around.
Speaker 2: Evans has one of those two I know, and was going, I.
Speaker 8: Think he likes it. He actually got it for real therapeutic purposes, for like his his hip or something. But it's fascinating. I was like, we're at the show where I see people casually wearing exos, Elton's or you know whatever you would call them, like, and I think someone else is testing out one. I had a really hard time at Unveiled finding weird tech. And that's actually my my my judging zone. I was supposed to look weird tech.
Speaker 2: I had.
Speaker 8: I had a sort of existential crisis where I wandered around trying. That's also hard, like maybe if you try to find it, it doesn't find no thought.
Speaker 3: I thought the same thing, and I think that what happened this year was usually the weird tech is very visually appealing.
Speaker 8: Yes, there were no visually you.
Speaker 1: Need to go to the corner of the convention center into like the like shin Zen Jao Corporation where it's like where it's like cameras, cameras, batteries, dildos.
Speaker 2: Yeah, every time that it's like.
Speaker 1: This eighteen wood long thing and it has like it's just a printed white piece a.
Speaker 4: Pipe, so visually unappealing, how like what it just kind of like featureless?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So Usually when we go to these things, we have a video team that comes with us, and we try to find things that will basically translate on video. Like someone will will see the thumbnail or a clip as they're scrolling.
Speaker 2: By and be like, Oh, this looks really damn chess.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but like there really wasn't much of that in terms of visually, like you know, okay, give I'll give you an example, like this is another thing I wanted to bring up.
Speaker 4: So there's a lot of I noticed all like baby related tech.
Speaker 3: But to me, I'm thinking, like a lot of this stuff is for like very small bait like newborn, and you're gonna like spend this money on something that's gonna last you like maybe six months. So there was one thing I don't remember the name of the device, but it's this monitor that goes on your baby's ankle. No, it's a different company. I can't remember if but no, Allen is a is a company that makes baby stuff. Yeah, no, you're not wrong, but it's an a monitor for babies that track their alcohol and.
Speaker 8: Off the car deactivates the cars.
Speaker 4: They can't know, but it was it tracks their heartbeat and the point of it.
Speaker 2: And that's useful like this, this is like the set like the Wids and Sudden.
Speaker 10: No.
Speaker 3: The way they were selling it was so parents know when the best the optimal time is to place your baby in the crib so they don't wake up.
Speaker 2: Nice baby hacking. Yes, finally, yes.
Speaker 3: So it like I guess it tracks their heart rate and the optimal heart rate. I guess when they're in a deep sleep, it lights up a certain color and that's when the optimal time is to put your baby down psychotic And like I listen, I I wouldn't buy something like that to put I want to put an ankle monitor on my baby. But I could see if you're a desperate parents who's having trouble there, maybe you would look into that solution. But also, like, unless it's priced very cheaply, I can't imagine buying something that you're gonna use a few months.
Speaker 1: This sounds like something someone who remembers having kids built. Like someone was like, yeah, you know what full my baby there is crying?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it is like definitely an experience that I mean, I'm not a man of child personally, but it is like a man child. But I'm just saying I'm an active uncle. You know, I'm a very engaged uncle. But it is uncle, and it is one of those things. I'm yeah, I'm a chopped unk and I'm not afraid to come on here and talk as such.
Speaker 3: No cap, now that you bring that up, this does sound like a device that the uncle would buy, yeahs or something like that.
Speaker 2: It's uncle tech.
Speaker 4: Yes, I heard these things don't like to sleep, so I got you a thing. They will tell you when it's asleep.
Speaker 8: You can maximize your baby. You're like.
Speaker 2: Your baby maxing.
Speaker 8: It's supposed to be good.
Speaker 4: It is funny though, like the idea, I mean like it's as funny and it is very funny to me.
Speaker 2: The idea of being like you must optimize your toddler like.
Speaker 4: That is that's funny to me. But it's also like it's a reflection of who is like funding this ship and who is coming up with these ideas, like in terms of what is the experience that you would want the most from your baby, And it's like you want them to be healthy, you want to be happy, you want them to sleep. But then there's this other element where it's like and you must excel as like a parent, like I think what.
Speaker 1: It is is like the venture capitalist, and this is not necessarily like therefore, I guess, but like a venture capitalist is by definition probably pretty well off, so they probably have like a lot more parental support. I feel like, if you're funding baby take, you should go and just talk to the most stressed babyona.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have a kid. I really shouldn't be like babyonas if I don't have one. But this was much older than that.
Speaker 4: I kept thinking about last year. It is like where is the consumer in the consumer electronics? Yeah, and there were devices that and the stuff I remember from the floor most fondly last year were like old fashioned American inventions with a technological aspect. It was like, it's a dog door that opens because your dog collar has a chip in it so it recognizes that it's your dog and it's not letting in a raccoon or a prowler or whatever, and like that's not, you know, groundbreaking, but it's like all right, cool, Like I get it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is a machine that sits on your calendar. It makes soft serve ice cream sick.
Speaker 4: Fuck me up. My kitchen is way too small to have that. But it would be great if it were we like ice cream, but yes, you can see where the consumer is and all of that. And then the ones that always kind of blew me away were like beyond the stuff that's just like kind of junk or like white label or just over abstracted. Yeah, is the stuff like this where it's like you have this miraculous technical capacity and no sense of what an ordinary person might use it for it and you clearly didn't ask, like you never try to get that.
Speaker 1: That's kind of why I'm going. And it's like, have you talked to a parent. I don't mean a fucking parent clearing a quarter of a million dollars a year. I mean like a fucking parent who has got two children and a part time job and is fucking suffering because the outlet suck is like useful because it can like monitor the baby, make sure that something infantestiner doesn't have like mountless hot rate and breathing and such like useful things to make sure your kid is alive, like very meaningful stuff.
Speaker 2: It's only for six months, but man, you.
Speaker 1: Really want to make sure they are life all of the month's ideally, But it's like there's a real thing, but it's just like, yeah, great, you can make sure your baby's heart rate. No, you put the kid down when it fucking is ready, like when the kid is ready to sleep and you just fucking sit there and.
Speaker 2: Go, fuck, it's just please please please just go to sleep. Please don't do this to me. Please, Matt. You've got kids, y, Yeah, I.
Speaker 4: Got three, but each each one of them was different about the sleep thing.
Speaker 3: But I can't imagine using the thing that any of them simply because like, is there is there really even an optimal time?
Speaker 2: Like? Why else? So was this an ankle monitor?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: It goes. It's it's a they you strap it on their their leg, like around their ankle, and it's like a circular device and it lights up red when it's definitely not time.
Speaker 2: It lights up on their leg yes, and then what's the fuck?
Speaker 3: And then lights up green when it's almost time when they're drifting off this.
Speaker 1: Can I just be clear you're talking about attaching it flashing light to a newborn's ankle, yes, newbornes. And my distinct experience and new born is that sock just fucking comes off all the time. So you're like giving a flashing light to a baby.
Speaker 2: You gotta really clamp it on there. But I got to get it on tight.
Speaker 1: You don't think the baby's gonna see the flashing light one of the only things that can recognize in the complete I'm just fuck with it constantly because that's what you.
Speaker 8: I want one of those for like my seventeen year old, just to kind of be like, how you doing? Can I monitor your ankle?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: It's that cool?
Speaker 1: Is that right?
Speaker 4: If I get a push alert for our whole let me know if you're actually sleeping, we could all have ankle.
Speaker 8: In twelve yeah, rhyme.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And when you think about what the problems are, it's like they're emotional, so take really can't fix that. They can add to the right if you'd like. If you'd like the more problems, the social network apps will help with that.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 8: This is an interesting thing too. It's like the over monitoring versus like personal experience. Like we didn't use a lot of tech raising our kids, but other than iPads, but like we there's like personal experience. It's like do you want something to tell you how to cook or do you want to just like mess around with trying to see what cooks well and what burns and then you get natural experience that kind of gets ingrained and you go, oh, I know because I've been doing it over time. That's like parenting. You're like I begin to get a general feel and sense of that kid and their behavior. It just happens. It happens when you pay attention.
Speaker 1: And that's the thing Like I don't talk about much about myket on the show because I have a lot of people who listen to and I won't keep them.
Speaker 2: It's his world.
Speaker 1: But it's like, yeah, you learn from your child what they have it so when they are sleepy, right when they will tell you I'm not tued, you'll go to sleep, You're gonna fall asleep in two fucking with his brother, You're either get in that bad is a nice and couz you're going.
Speaker 2: To go right to sleep.
Speaker 4: Were like the category error that we're talking about here, where it's just like fundamentally being like do you want your phone to solve this thing that is like not your work, like not your commute, like the shit that like you have to do so that you can afford the others. It's like do you want us to take the experience like the actual pleasurable part of being alive, like and for me like as like a you know again, we don't have kids, we can afford to like make dinner most nights, like me and my wife Like that is like really fucking precious time to me. I like I think about it, you know, like we go in with a game plan. We enjoy like working and cooking together, and we're not exactly being like behind you chef like as we move through our shit laun but we're like closer than it's probably you know, healthy. But the idea of like replacing that with being like I'm just gonna like let my phone either tell me what to do or eventually. I mean this was like the big promise for a lot of the smart home shit last year was like just my house will do it, Like they'll make the coffee for me. It's like making coffee is really important to me. Actually, Like that is part of how I remember that I'm a human before I like get on my computer and get really upset about shit.
Speaker 1: All long, you know, like and it's like they don't solve the actual things which are annoying. Like I love my dinner with my olfriend.
Speaker 2: It's nice. It's nice it's an experience together, it's something you do.
Speaker 1: I fucking hate laundry and cleaning, and they've barey fucking good like they've been.
Speaker 2: I think, how long have you been going to CEES?
Speaker 8: Like it has been a long long time. So I went to my first CSH for work purposes probably two thousand and four.
Speaker 2: Okay, how many times?
Speaker 1: How many times have you seen oh, the same fucking one, the folding the laundry, the folding robot. Like I think over a decade, like there is one company that just every is like, this is the fucking year, folks.
Speaker 3: There's one laundry company probably, but there's a few companies.
Speaker 4: I haven't been going anywhere near as long as you.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's been a long time, and this is either year four or.
Speaker 3: Five for me, But I've already noticed there's companies that I feel like literally just exist to go to CES. Like they don't ever put anything out. They always bring the same or a similar product, and year after year it's just the same thing. And it's like, first of all, we do we get in the like I don't know how much it costs to show up and as with a booth at CES, but I'm guessing it's not cheap.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like what do you what are you doing? The compete the money laundering show?
Speaker 8: No, I have notes for CS Unveiled like things like that. Here's my note for it based on what I saw yesterday. I made me think about. I was a judge at MIT Reality Hacket last year, which was actually really interesting because it's like it was a lot of students pitching random projects that involved like AR and XR, and you basically went around to a lot of tables and you had five minutes it was each one, and they had to come up with a pitch, and it was like okay, like I don't know what it could be, but it's like we did this thing, We're gonna come up with it. We're gonna get you experienced, get understand. It's like yeah, and it's like speed dating, but a show like Unveiled is not speed dating. It's literally just find your way. If they made it, I don't think i'd want it to be a speed dating but like, you have a bunch of tables, and if they're not like you say, if they're not perfectly clear and grabby and they have a headline. There are a lot of companies that was like Mercamo MA and it's like, okay, there's like it's just an empty table with like an item on it. And then it's like, is the game that I'm supposed to talk to you and retrieve the inform? I'm like, I can't. I can't right now, like and I don't. It's it I'm not into that game right now.
Speaker 2: And so I thought the.
Speaker 8: Pitches were not were not clear. A lot of companies, it also is like some like you know, could be international or whatever else, but it's like maybe they're looking for components or things, but this is a media more media focused thing and unveiled.
Speaker 2: And they pay extra for this, don't they.
Speaker 8: Yeah, And so you go, why am I looking at that? I just don't have time and it's over stuffed with too many things. So and plus there are no like it's not like a grocery store where you're like, here's the baking stuff, here's the meats. Like I would like if they made categories where it's like the rope. The emotional robots that were like five of them, it's just as.
Speaker 4: Two hundred aisle three hundred. There were moments emotional robots that I kept walking through and being like, oh, I'm in the like this is the the sex apps, this is the like weird rights are everywhere, They're all over the place, and like Dido. For the one bit that seemed actually coherent, I remember was in like one of the basements last year that was like kind of the Hall of Nations and you would be going through and it's here's like the Netherlands wants to.
Speaker 2: Talk to you about what it is. That's the French zone.
Speaker 4: But it's the only bit that felt organized.
Speaker 8: But what's interesting that a scattershot Yeah that press event.
Speaker 3: Yeah, whenever I go down to the nation thing, what I actually usually get like a little bit angry about it.
Speaker 4: It's like, damn, this is this.
Speaker 3: This is like countries that actually support their their startup companies with funding because that's why they're there representing their country.
Speaker 4: And there's like no United States section because the US doesn't.
Speaker 2: Do that show.
Speaker 8: What do you think this is?
Speaker 1: No, they usually have like a US government section though it's like oh, but it's just like this is what the post Office is doing in them.
Speaker 2: But it's not like the oh if there was a c I A one, well that's the that's the Pallenteer.
Speaker 4: Right, I was gonna say, you.
Speaker 1: Go down to the CIA both he h what happened with JFK you do that?
Speaker 2: Was?
Speaker 1: That?
Speaker 2: Was that usday?
Speaker 1: What do you do?
Speaker 2: I'll just watch the was you do that shit?
Speaker 1: I think I could probably get killed at that. Both one percent within fun just asking annoying questions. It is one thing just to go back to Scott said that, like it's funny. And I remember this experience again, like just because I you know, I haven't been on the.
Speaker 2: Floors this year.
Speaker 4: I felt last year both like heartened and a little bit embarrassed by how much like a little bit of oath mode curb appeal, like showmanship would like win me over. Like the reason I knew about that dog door was that they had they had made it out of some metal substance that they had, you know, like whatever, perfectly calibrated themselves and there was a big mallet that you could swing and hit it into the door and it never dented. Yeah, And so the reason I found it was that like I was walking around with the Jesse Farrar and we were like, what is that loud noise? And then just like a pair of dogs off leash wandered over and we're like what does this do? And like it was something I really liked learning about it, Like I found the people very pleasing, uh you know, conversationalists.
Speaker 2: But it was one something that I found because that was.
Speaker 8: Exactly that exact why we're here. It's like, this is why it's a physical show. It's like there's the Internet, Like there's information everywhere. You could always be looking up stuff or what people are here. You should be like it goes back to that science fair type thing. It's like, is this you got to come up with a If you're gonna be here, you gotta come up with an interesting picture, like not don't do a stupid one, but do like a yeah, try to get something to catch our attention and explain it with just the whole point with the.
Speaker 2: Dogs just Jesse and I were the dogs And okay, what.
Speaker 3: Was interesting about you bringing up we were talking about just two seconds ago, the how nothing is like the layout is not planned and like categories what I'm dying to know if they do it again this this year, if there's even enough companies to fill it out. But last year there was one section and I brought it up on the show too, and I thought it was so funny. There was a Web three section and it was like, oh, these companies are now so embarrassing. We want like them off to the side, behind a curtain. We let them all in a specific section where they could be avoided, and it was like they were they were. There was no like strap crypto or blockchain companies, but they were still these companies that believed in like the promise of without using the word NFT, the promise of like the digital ownership of things and and the metaverse type stuff. And they actually did create a Web three section that that actually said the Web three like arena or something, and it was like, there's no reason to do that unless you want people to know where they can actively avoid.
Speaker 2: If they don't want that, yeah, well, like the five perverts that need to go there.
Speaker 4: Right, I feel like you're keeping everybody away from everybody else the way that there's people that are like I don't want to know.
Speaker 2: I don't have a fucking dog, and I don't need a dog door.
Speaker 4: What I need is a picture of a dog that lives on the blockchain that's on my phone that I have most of my savings invested in collection.
Speaker 8: The dog simulacorus section.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yes, it takes all kinds. I don't it's a big market. Oh my god, yeah, it's there's supposed to be a holographic fish tank here. One of my colleagues what what Okay, what the fuck? I'm actually trying to find me. I don't know, but my colleagues said, we were trying to look for weird tech. We've actually been on the Lund and we said there's a holographic fish tank.
Speaker 8: And I said, I'm in apparently.
Speaker 2: Tech. How did it take you this long to bring it up? I've been, I've been. I want other people to talk all the fish let me tell you. I don't know.
Speaker 8: I want there to be I want to believe it's in the web.
Speaker 12: Three airing holographic as a holographic fish my.
Speaker 8: Left fish in the tank. I don't know what it is, but I do think so.
Speaker 10: All.
Speaker 8: The other thing is that last night we're talking about weird tech. Tieth thing the people had said to me caught the robe and I didn't see it. This doesn't sound that weird. It was a vibrating knife. Oh I saw the knife, Yeah, ultrasonic.
Speaker 3: It was apparently a knife you just like lightly hold ultrasonic call over to the vegetable or whatever you're trying to cut, just and then just like like barely any pressure, it just goes right through.
Speaker 4: It just wasn't visually appealing enough.
Speaker 8: Now I saw a knife that I skipped and I thought it already existed because I don't cover that beat. And I was like, it's probably the same vibrating knife that they had last year with a new feature.
Speaker 2: Tell me one, right, isn't this a thing?
Speaker 8: Or like William Gibson novels. Yeah, I feel like there's like.
Speaker 1: When I when I'm thinking of tech, I want I'm reading William Gibson.
Speaker 8: Maybe it was a.
Speaker 2: Section.
Speaker 4: So you're telling me you've created it. That's really interesting that this iron sprawl, it's so good.
Speaker 1: It's so good that I'm obsessed with this holographic fish tank. I'm anna fuck.
Speaker 8: I know, can we put on an ap B and to say if you are making a geographic fish tank, where it is?
Speaker 2: I know anybody was getting your ass for not bringing it up.
Speaker 4: I think it's very ethical that if you yourself have not seen a holographic fish tank, you would sound weird if you were like I've heard tell of the holographic fish tank, know that you saw it, Like to get a description of it, I need to know I exactly, I need to see it myself.
Speaker 8: But but then the other thing I saw there on the floor that thought but apparently it already existed because I'm not looking at massage chair tech. But there was someone sitting in one of those giant moving massage chairs that was like it look they looked like a transformer, like they lifted on an arm and the arm was coming with them and the leg was moving with them. But then I brought that up to people and they were like, that's already been here, and I was like, okay, well that interested me.
Speaker 3: The man it was called the Best Massage Body's Friend or something like that.
Speaker 8: They were just moving, but it was like it was like you almost like you couldn't escape. It was like the as they were moving, the chair pieces would move still with their arms. And I saw that. I was like that, that's interesting, cyber Sofa.
Speaker 1: I love the massage chairs. It's the greatest scam at CS. Every song we run it, someone's like I just got best deal on the massage chairs, Like no, you did not, Yeah, you just got scam. No, it's like if you don't heard about the scam, No I haven't. So they have these lines of massage chairs and they're like, i'll give you, I'll cut your special deal. They're not cutting you a specially.
Speaker 4: Yes, they see.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: If you walk around the main.
Speaker 1: Convention center, there's usually very you know that they're even trying to sell them. There's a very sad section where you see like the cs, like the guys who have been here twenty five since it was called the Comdex, Like the people have been here forever, and they're sitting in this chair just like fucking, just like fucking just the only only time I get away from my wife and kids. Just just sit in the fucking chair all day. I sell software, man, I just want to die, and they just sit in these chairs. But those people are not buying them. They just know you can scam, but no you will. I every few years I run and someone's like, I just got the best deal. It's like I paid seven thousand dollars for two chairs and like, yeah, the RP is one thousand dollars each. You've got fucking scam. It's like it's Ali Barba chair situation that massages you.
Speaker 2: I did not know this is going on.
Speaker 1: It's it's a you know what, it's part of the Vegas experience, being like swindled by I mean I do know that a lot.
Speaker 2: I don't want to say a lot.
Speaker 3: But there are companies that show up and like you could see on like the bad or do they have around their booth? They go like, oh, ask us about our ces only special? Yeah whatever, And I mean I'm here as media, so I would never spend any money like that, but I mean it always seems like is it is it really the best deal? Yeah?
Speaker 2: You were in less fucking Vegas. You think you're getting a deal.
Speaker 4: Here, you're getting dealt I A still like the idea of your walking through the like air purifire section where there's fifty identical products and being like this is the one, like do you can? I? Do you take venmo?
Speaker 2: I do?
Speaker 1: Like It's just like one year I had a bit where I just lifted up stuff and asked if I could have him and they really didn't like that, Like especially with the TVs.
Speaker 2: I just like, lift up, can I have this?
Speaker 1: And they looked at me, pausmon, No, it's just like, no, sugar, Yeah they don't.
Speaker 2: They don't.
Speaker 8: It wasn't bolted down, No exactly.
Speaker 1: I'm pretty sure they do now. Yeah, yeah, I mean, what the fuck was I gonna do? You think there's gonna be a guy's like running away with the TV making your escape through this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you can get out the door, you can keepe it. That should be the rule, se they should. Is there swag? Is there any swag you saw?
Speaker 4: I mean on the show floor?
Speaker 3: Usually not, but a lot of these companies when they see media, they want to especially the smaller like startups.
Speaker 8: They want you want to give out review it like this, so they'll they'll just like they'll come back later and there's a thing for you.
Speaker 2: Don't think kind of an or to me. No one ever off me anything like that, so you can't have this.
Speaker 3: The thing I noticed this year though, and this happened to me a few times, was they almost seem more interested in content creators now than like like like somebody you said to me like, oh, what do you do? And I was like, oh, I'm a reporter for and they were like where are you based out of? And I was like New York and like, oh, maybe you could be our content creator from New York and.
Speaker 4: I was like, well, I'm I just said I'm a real job.
Speaker 8: So yeah, cretill you see that at like yeah, at all the conferences where it's like there's there's been two different tracks, but also like a lot of stuff, I feel like tech companies have clearly been pushing that that focus to like the content creator influencer path. I mean a lot of it overlaps, but like it's a very different track. And then they're like that's the primary just mean a guy, they just.
Speaker 2: Mean spawn calling without the spawn.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that there's probably a lot of that of like people that like are on TikTok right, like check out all these crazy things I saw.
Speaker 8: Right right, they just want to listen to video.
Speaker 2: And the thing is I love getting free shit, but I'm not I'm not changing my opinion. Oh right, of course, that's the thing.
Speaker 4: It's you know, you want to review.
Speaker 3: I'm happy to review if I'm interested in the product and I think it's interesting or cool. But if it doesn't work or something's wrong or there are negatives, I'm going to be truthful.
Speaker 4: But it just like I'll be truthful if I think it's cool and works.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 3: One interesting thing was one company actually said to me like when they asked where I you know what my outlet was, and I said Mashable and they were like, oh, what's the social media for it? And I was like, oh, it's a website, mashable dot com. And they immediately pulled up their YouTube app on their phone. It was like, let me see how many subscribers YouTube. And then they saw it and they were like, oh okay, So like that's that's the example. I'm like, what we're dealing with now in terms of like content creators mean more of these companies now then then actual outlets. They didn't even respond to the website. They didn't even bring up their safari And when Mashable.
Speaker 8: It always makes me sad when people say like, oh, I've seen your it's nice. Oh I've seen all your videos. But I'm like, do you read any I write articles? And they're just like, huh, don't let's get that what you just said. I don't want to hear that part.
Speaker 1: So as we come to the end of this day, I'm going to say, Matt Benda, you've been joining us from Mashable.
Speaker 2: Of course, thank you for being here.
Speaker 1: Always a pleasure, and of course Scott Steins and saw Hey, thank you, thank you for being here, and David Roll from DEFECTI you're gonna be here for a couple more, six more and this and this next ad is just for Birds's just try them today, birds. Whatever comes next, I think it's for birds.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to.
Speaker 1: The Better Offline CS experience and of course your host ed Zichron. And now I'm joined by of course David Roth DEFECTA Hello, Edward Ngueiso Junior, the Tech Bubble Newsletter, Hello, and at Lisa ed Ajico of CNN, thanks for joining.
Speaker 11: Us, Lisa, of course, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: So you saw a trifold Samsung Galaxy phone and the listeners got mad at me last time for being excited about something.
Speaker 4: What do you know?
Speaker 2: Picks one? What one for me? But yeah, so you've seen the trifold.
Speaker 4: What was it like?
Speaker 10: It was really cool, but I think my biggest criticism of it was that it didn't really provide a compelling reason to want this bigger screen.
Speaker 11: That folds up and fits into your pocket.
Speaker 10: It's really cool when you hold it like you open it up, kind of like a brochure or a pamphlet.
Speaker 11: It you know, has two folds.
Speaker 10: Who open it, it folds into threes, right, and then when it's open it's a really slim tablet. But then it's just you know, it kind of feels like the Fold Plus in a way, like I feel like you can get a similar experience with the Z fold, which already exists. So that said, I only had a few minutes with it.
Speaker 2: Was it though, like? How many?
Speaker 5: How?
Speaker 2: What was it like? Ten inches? I guess that.
Speaker 10: Yeah, so it's ten inches, so it's more like the size of an iPad when it's open, slightly smaller than like an iPad air. And then the Z fold is more closer to the size of like an iPad Mini when.
Speaker 11: It's open, So that's kind of the difference.
Speaker 10: And then when it's closed, it's I think around I think the screen is six point five inches. I would have to double check that, but you know the size of a Plus phone or a Promax phone whatever.
Speaker 11: Did they give you a price, No, they didn't say pricing.
Speaker 2: Yet that thing's would be to and off grand It's good.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it's gonna be a lot.
Speaker 10: I mean those Z fold sevens already like two thousand dollars really, so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't be mad.
Speaker 1: See, this is the thing, this is my weak point. I'm going to get so many hemause people people got so Legitimately, people got really upset at me when Lisa was on because I was.
Speaker 2: Like, I like the idea, and then like you need to hide everything. I'm full of joy I sometimes they won't allow me.
Speaker 4: They won't to have his screen time, takes it away from you, make me read more books.
Speaker 1: No, it's but I kind of like that they're doing something, Like I love the idea of a giant foldable.
Speaker 2: I'm a freak, I guess.
Speaker 1: But it's like, it's sad they haven't When you say it isn't like they haven't thought through why you'd need it.
Speaker 2: What do you mean exactly?
Speaker 10: I was kind of hoping that the software would do something a little different and interesting. But that said, to your point, I'm happy that Samsung is doing something because they have been showing these concepts for years, different kinds of foldables that fold in funky, weird ways, and they keep saying, yeah, we're working on something, we're working on something, and then we just had no idea if any of those concepts would actually ever come to fruition. So I'm glad to see that they're experimenting and they're still doing that. But to me, my immediate reaction was like, oh, wow, this is really cool. But it doesn't it feels almost like the Fold did a couple of years ago when it's closed, because it's kind of thick, right, So it just didn't feel as different as I thought it would, I guess. And I think part of that is because when you open it, it's like you have the bigger screen or the front screen.
Speaker 11: You don't have the in between, and that's kind of what do you mean by that?
Speaker 10: So I think, and I'd have to double check, but I think it was either some of Samsung's concepts or like maybe the Huawei phone, like you can kind of use the different panels as like their own individual screens.
Speaker 2: Like oh yes, you have different apps on them.
Speaker 10: Yeah, like almost have like three screens in one, and like this doesn't really do that. It just has like the open state where it's a tablet and then the closed state where it's a phone, which is still useful, but it doesn't.
Speaker 2: Feel that differ Grande.
Speaker 10: Yeah, And the one thing that I thought was was interesting that Samsung is kind of thinking of is this being not just like a phone and a tablet, but maybe a phone a tablet and also like a mini PC if you like cook it up with like Bluetooth keyboard and mens or whatever. Yeah, they're still trying that, but yeah, I don't know, it's interesting, but I feel like the this thing is probably going to be expensive, so the use case has to be really compelling, and their z fold phones are only just starting to take off a little bit, so I feel like it's you know, it's going to be a long road ahead for something like this, but I'm glad they're doing it at something.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I feel like there's like we're already like the show hasn't officially started yet, and just from the three episodes that I've been on, everybody so like, well, you know what, Like obviously I would never use this, and I don't think that'll ever really get made, but I really appreciate that they're rolling the dice and having fun out there, and it does feel like that's what it is. And so like what you're describing is like this was something that you know, as somebody who doesn't generally follow this like part of the fun of it for me last year was like legitimate idiot awe at sort of like the fuck it, we're doing five blades stuff where they're just like we figured out how to do.
Speaker 2: Like the TV is so good that you couldn't actually watch anything on it.
Speaker 4: But it's like fine, at least they're doing something it's better than them, just sort of like spackling some you know, notional AI modality over it and being like a it's gonna make friends for you while you sit at home.
Speaker 1: I did see they have added nano banana to televisions now, and.
Speaker 4: I feel like you are thrilled to hear you say.
Speaker 1: I hate saying nano banana. I think it's a fucking terrible name. I think who ever came up with the name should be electrocute.
Speaker 4: Do you share a stupid accent thing that I heard on the plane lift? It means a guy behind me, an Australian guy ordered sprite with ice in an Australian accent. Just something to think about what that might sound like.
Speaker 1: Do you wonder anyone Australian If you're an Australian, listen, then please record.
Speaker 2: Get to record it.
Speaker 1: It's like just email me easy at Better Offline dot com. If you record yourself as an Australian saying it, if you ask.
Speaker 10: My Australian friends from yeah, let's not let's get the Australian is the one thing that people love.
Speaker 4: It's being like, your voices are fucked up? You mind saying a few freezes?
Speaker 10: Yeah I know nothing about that happened to me when I was on vacation in Ireland like last year, Like a cashier at a convenience store was like can you say this?
Speaker 11: And I was like why, you know, it's really bizarre.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is my life.
Speaker 1: This is my life is people people turning to me and saying I can't help myself.
Speaker 2: I have to do my accent if.
Speaker 11: You can help yourself.
Speaker 2: No, if you've ever said this to me, you're a fucking liar. Oh I have a thing. No, you don't. You think your British accent is good and you want me to tell you it's good. It's never good. It's never been good. Stop going to be clear. This is no your British accent is funny. If you just to be clear.
Speaker 1: If you're making fun of England, bully for you, I'm right there with you. I don't really have one. I just period be like what or like my exactly, like that's that's all I've got, And that's fine. I that too, but it's just, yeah, sprite with ice. It doesn't sound good when I.
Speaker 5: Say you want to give us a demonstration.
Speaker 4: It was basically like sprite with boys. It wasn't. That wasn't that was British that it wasn't.
Speaker 2: That's pretty good sprought with us. He was two.
Speaker 1: I was into CS coverage and this is this is Gemini generate making sounds back and forth to each other.
Speaker 4: It's just pure whale song.
Speaker 1: But no, I like the idea that like someone is generating images on their TEP like what fucking freak did that? And was like, you know what, people wanted to generate an image? No, no, no one who's ever been I wish I could generate something on my.
Speaker 5: Friends to this photo of me alone on the.
Speaker 10: Part of a lot of these tech companies have been trying to make TVs something that they're not for a long time, like trying to make them all these different types of ambient computers and whatever, and I feel like that's just part of that effort, and CS is the hub of all of that.
Speaker 2: I'm staying in the cap earlier.
Speaker 1: It's just like, at some point, it's fucking television, right.
Speaker 11: People just want a really nice scream. I think that they want to look at.
Speaker 1: There was the thing of like, oh, you won't have to plug devices into them. Now you can do Netflix on it. Great, okay, now you can play games. And I saw someone announce you can do Xbox Gaming Game Pass, which kind of make and that's I'm kind of like, fine, that makes sense streaming and now what and.
Speaker 2: They're like fucking banana.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no.
Speaker 6: Now, when you get home drunk at night and the TV's a little too dim.
Speaker 13: You could go the GV Yeah, Gemini eleven, just like please Gemini Star Wars Picture nine eleven, Like just.
Speaker 2: Like, just are you sure calling your mother?
Speaker 10: No?
Speaker 1: Nope, you can't do that from a television though, you actually can't. Like calling people are like Facebook, Facebook Portal is weirdly enough, like the only product that can reliably do that.
Speaker 2: It's really weird.
Speaker 11: Is that true?
Speaker 1: It's really hard to find a television because honestly, a TV a TV with a camera, and it is bad. But at the same time, it's like a weirdly rare product. Weirdly enough, the Facebook portal is actually good.
Speaker 11: Because that's like one of the few products I actually have never tried.
Speaker 1: Don't worry they killed it, yeah that much. I know They're like, no, no, no, no, no, we need to you can't find your friends on Facebook? Oh, Facebook portal just to talk to your family?
Speaker 5: Not so fast? The fuck?
Speaker 2: You want some glasses? You want some glasses? They kind of work.
Speaker 4: What if it let you talk to a local restaurant? It like has a lot of weirdly racist posts.
Speaker 2: Is that what you want? During Hey guys, what's my flood?
Speaker 1: It's just trying to get away from the core function because there's not really many reasons to buy on u TV anymore, because I mean I have like a like, I'm an upgrade pig. I love upgrading my phone. I'll love the slightly faster, better experience. I'm not going to upgrade my TV until it breaks. It's full k it's icg my two point one.
Speaker 10: I mean, people just want bigger TVs that look nice, that don't cost as much what everybody wants.
Speaker 2: I have a really big, like eighty five inch so Brava.
Speaker 1: Oh it was seventeen. It was seventeen hundred dollars six years ago, I think, And it's like, why would I am great?
Speaker 2: What possible reason?
Speaker 1: And the TV companies are saying that's just been like because there really isn't. It's like, oh, I can have Gemini on my TV a pyfrate not to.
Speaker 2: Be on the right.
Speaker 4: Also like funny to your point, like the way that this is like the the purpose of CES versus the purpose of like consumer entertainment as you like would consume it, or consumer electronics as you would consume it. It's basically like you want the good TV. But they they would be bored, and they probably sense that if you, as a CEES attendee, would be bored if they're just like showing you a dope new TV that's showing a movie on it that's.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, what if it had one key feature that worked thirty percent.
Speaker 4: Of Yeah, would that be new? Would that seem intriguing to you?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: But that is one hundred percent, Like it feels like that is I don't know what percentage off here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they even do.
Speaker 1: They have a TV section, we're just showing you know, stuff great every like micro l ed or many.
Speaker 2: They have new stuff, and the TV's are thinner. There's a very thin year.
Speaker 5: I saw TVs you could bend, and I was like, I love that.
Speaker 2: I love spender, Like, what's going?
Speaker 1: I just get.
Speaker 5: God, I got the betterble TV. Last night would have gone different.
Speaker 2: I was. I wanted to fight by television.
Speaker 4: We're marketing this exclusively to fans a bad NFL team, Cowboys.
Speaker 5: I'm a Cowboys fan. How many knights? If I wanted to break my TV?
Speaker 1: I'm a Raiders fan, I don't even turn it on. Probably there's just no needs. Oh they lost, and you they were done after the second game. They won three of the.
Speaker 5: Don't worry one day. We're gonna win a super Bowl each.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I actually don't know which of us has the worst chance.
Speaker 4: You're probably not old enough to remember a Cowboys super Bowl winner, are you?
Speaker 10: No?
Speaker 4: That's well I am, and the worst guys in America are going to be celebrating right alongside you when it happens. Yeah, old enough to remember a Raider's super Bowl win, but I'm sure it'll be very nice.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I'll get Gemini to generate It's sorry, I can't do that.
Speaker 2: It's too unrealistic. Yeah, reality chat, you're trying to spread misinformation.
Speaker 5: They would never win.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's And the thing is is, I don't I can think of ways my life could be like the laundry bot we were talking about last time. All of those fall down because it's like the actual way that people experience laundry is a large pile of stuff. Like it's just like I the sock is in within the katamari of ship that I've left for too long. I want to be able to chuck the katamari into a box and then laundry comes out. There are also services that do that. You can do there's washing folds in New York. It's kind of like could do that. It's like, or you could spend five thousand dollars and something that I assume you need to like neatly thread the thing into. And the TV problem is a lot of things look weird, like you to customize like different situations like sports games look different to movies and such. TV don't seem to be trying to fix that, like the fact that every show is incredibly dark.
Speaker 11: Now that's what they should be using AI honestly, Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, no, no, do you need no banana, you need television freaking nine to eleven. You need to look better, you want stranger things to look good.
Speaker 2: Fuck you?
Speaker 4: Yeah there, Yeah, seriously, he was kind of spitting there for.
Speaker 1: I'll be rapping by the end of this show. Did you see anything? What else have you seen the show other.
Speaker 10: Than yeah, so here other than the phone? Lots of robots. I would say, that's always a big kind of robots. One that plays chess, and it's like absurdly expensive.
Speaker 2: How much was it did you find out? I you know what, I I forget.
Speaker 11: I remember being like, wow, that's a lot.
Speaker 10: It was kind of something I saw on I don't know if it was thousands, but it was something that was marketed as like, hey, buy this if you like really love to play chess but you don't have anyone to play with, or you want your kid to learn how to play chess or.
Speaker 2: Something you don't want to use any of the computer chests, right.
Speaker 4: Exactly, Like there's a whole Yeah, I think that this that again is like another one of those kind of class right.
Speaker 11: That's the other thing.
Speaker 10: Another thing I saw was a robot or it's really just more of a machine that sits under countertop. But you know, everything is a robot at ces that can cook for you if you like, almost like a carrig for food, where you put ingredients in and it.
Speaker 4: Knows extrude temperature stew.
Speaker 10: Like, yeah, it was a lot of things where it's just like, Okay, nobody wants to do anything, but none of these alternatives seem right.
Speaker 4: But it's like like more degrading than any of the other options, Like like I don't want to call someone them deliver something to my home. I'm just going to stuff a bunch of celery into this hole and see what happens.
Speaker 10: It's like really dark and maybe I'm oversimplifying it again. This is like me just walking around Cees unveiled last night and being like, oh, there's a lot of people at this station, so let me see what everyone's looking at. And yeah, that was just like the impression that I got though. It seems similar to like a carrig but for food, like you put the ingredients in, it knows the recipes.
Speaker 2: Or whatever, and.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I don't know, it was it was really bizarre.
Speaker 2: But but how does like how does the food get in that? Do you just throw a bunch of carrots.
Speaker 10: Yeah, you have ingredients that you like put in and it knows what the ingredients are and it has recipes or something.
Speaker 2: Now it's like you see commercials for it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've used it.
Speaker 11: It's not it's not bad.
Speaker 2: It's not bad.
Speaker 5: Is it like Okay I put the ingredients in their nose? Or you got to sit there being like okay I put in a sealery I put it.
Speaker 10: No, no, no, there's like a there's like recipe packs and stuff, something like the recipe book or something.
Speaker 11: Again, I am like probably watching the details.
Speaker 3: Like that.
Speaker 11: That's a question.
Speaker 4: I'm the guy that was initially like, well you just put carrots in it. What you're seeing makes a lot more sense than what was just coming out.
Speaker 5: Of the mount. Also, there are startups out there that would do yeah, you put a carroing in there.
Speaker 1: I like the Samsung fridge though with Gemini and it. I did see that earlier Gemini.
Speaker 2: Fridge where it's like I haven't seen that. It's so good.
Speaker 1: You read the product demonstration thing and it's like, yeah, you can use your voice to open and close the door. It's like, okay, just you've never opened a fridge like it's like, finally a way to open the fridge.
Speaker 11: That's not the problem that needs solving.
Speaker 10: Their argument is like a, well, it's also been around it, like not like the voice element, but like didn't LG haven't they been showing fridges for years that have motion sensors if your hands.
Speaker 4: Like one of those things where it's like as an accessibility technology, it's probably existed for a long time, and now they're just sort of like people are forgetting how to open the fridge. It's one of the big problems face society.
Speaker 5: At home.
Speaker 6: Just imagine if we had a screen on the fridge that you could talk to and it would tell you what's inside, you don't.
Speaker 10: Ever have to I love I think you should leave like what exactly, I don't know what any of the exactly.
Speaker 11: I don't know what I'm doing.
Speaker 1: I do love the ones where it's like we will find we use AI to tell you what's in your fridge.
Speaker 2: It's like fun, I had no idea something else I'll do that.
Speaker 11: No, I was gonna say.
Speaker 10: There are so many times when I overby because I'm at the store and I'm like, I'm probably low on this, but I don't know, so I do feel like that could be actually.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but like you send you're going to save five dollars on carrots.
Speaker 10: Then but then you end up with so many carrots and you're like, oh man, I bought too many carrots again.
Speaker 4: I have to feed them the thing that I keep on my counter that turns me into crembrew let.
Speaker 2: Somehow I love.
Speaker 1: That. Really, it does feel like there's a certain degree though, of just that they're like, what are human concerns? Well, there's poverty, and there's a living situation, and there's healthcare.
Speaker 2: Hmm, No, that's just how do you open a fridge?
Speaker 5: Would you like a butler?
Speaker 2: What is in fridge? Would you like a butler?
Speaker 1: Okay, so someone someone that can clean up for me and someone could do my laundry.
Speaker 2: Oh oh no, no, we can't do that.
Speaker 1: What if nano banana? All roads lead to Gemini? And it's just like I'm just I'm really looking forward to seeing deep into the depths of this show and just being like, what what reason have you come up with? Like last year, I remember there was this air purifier with a big spike underneath him, and I walked up to the person. I'm like, what's with the spike and they took a second to register because no one had spoken to them in that manner, and they're like, oh, no, it's really obvious.
Speaker 2: I'm like sure, no, you'll never believe this. It's it's like, no, it's for dogs, Like what yeah, it was like it was a hair thing.
Speaker 5: I remember it was.
Speaker 1: It was an air purified well the dog and then they pust one or a cat could use it to scratch themselves.
Speaker 2: Am I just like do you have a dog?
Speaker 1: Like no, I'm like great, because well I don't know when like a dog's just walking around looking for places to scrap.
Speaker 5: Like it's just like someone who one time had their cat or dog go on the air purify're like wha yehoa whoa something for them?
Speaker 6: Do you ever know when inspirations a little weird?
Speaker 1: Though, it's also like, how do you scratch a cat? Like, I'm one of the most pleasant things in the world, is like panting a cat.
Speaker 11: It's like, nah, I don't want something that does that for.
Speaker 4: That's APEX level, like solving a problem that you don't have stuff. But it's like you're wasting too much time that you could be spending sending emails, and you don't touching your pet that you love.
Speaker 5: Don't want to you pet.
Speaker 6: I don't want to teach your kids how to play jazz, don't want to use your TV, don't don't want.
Speaker 2: To cut I don't want to That's time you could be on work calls. Yeah, but you know what, Actually, let's just imagine shareholder, your eyes on the price.
Speaker 1: What are you fucking doing when all of this stuff is automated, just sitting inert waiting for the next email.
Speaker 4: That's what we're having emotion brother, Yeah, I'm moving up the corporate ladder option.
Speaker 2: That's my slot machine spit like burps out puree.
Speaker 5: You're a zoom corn. It's the loudest background, you know.
Speaker 1: I got I got a Ninja creamy one of the worst name things of all time. And it is you feed stuff into it, you have to freeze it, and you turn it on and it makes.
Speaker 2: More noise than I have ever heard. Machine. No, it just makes ice cream that's like sometimes the right texture.
Speaker 5: I love it.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 5: When I think of ice cream, I think of ice cream shops. It's never never heard loud noises.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's so loud it sounds like it's.
Speaker 11: Everyone knows you're making ice cream.
Speaker 3: The first time I.
Speaker 2: Used to the third time today right there and it shapes violently. It's like, this is real.
Speaker 8: Yes, it's so loud.
Speaker 2: I remember the first time I to know.
Speaker 1: I'm like, this must be something I looked on YouTube. This people being like, yeah, I've got the creamy on. It's like two hundred and fifty dollars. Just one of the many times the wallet inspector has visited me.
Speaker 5: You know that it was so loud and they were like, should be reduced, and they're like, nah.
Speaker 4: Fucking ice cream, these holes anything, no idea what these people are willing to put up with their little treats.
Speaker 1: And it's no, it's aimed at people who want to like lose weight. And okay, because you so you can make sugar free ice.
Speaker 4: Cream, okay, but it's like the makes ice cream so unpleasant to consider it.
Speaker 2: It's just like you have thinking like.
Speaker 4: Ice cream is when I have a headache really bad.
Speaker 2: No, I you know, I put it in another room. I closed the door.
Speaker 4: My kid was asleep.
Speaker 2: I had to move it.
Speaker 11: Like if there the ice cream room.
Speaker 6: Let me just think your kitchen now got to be in another room because they're so fucking yeah, we're just rufting the kitchen.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 4: The only thing to that were like a drum set and a ninja creamy.
Speaker 2: List. Did you see anything else?
Speaker 4: Was it?
Speaker 2: Were they loud?
Speaker 4: Was the loudest gadget, the loudest gadget.
Speaker 11: Oh gosh, I don't know. It's I mean, it's always so loud. Just at ce S.
Speaker 10: Everybody's screaming everywhere, like chen, Like it's for everyone's shouting, like I can't hear myself.
Speaker 2: Think, I don't anyone's screaming, screaming trying.
Speaker 11: To film videos. It's like shouting over each other and trying to ask questions.
Speaker 4: Yea, the level of ambient noises, yeah, exactly. Although the other bit that I remember from I mean exactly love the experience. But last year going to the convention center, to the entire floor that was just like white label electronics from China's USB and it was silent, Yeah, totally, like you could hear the HVAC system going and like to hear the sound of someone sleeping softly in one of the booths, and that was it. They're both pretty unsettling, Honestly, if I had to shoot video. I would do it in the hall of USB cables, the whole of silence. Like I also don't want to go back there.
Speaker 1: It's great you go in there with the media badge and like everyone's like every head switches to look at you, like you've hit someone in marrow wind.
Speaker 2: Stop, citizen. Let me show you my.
Speaker 8: Every booth is.
Speaker 4: Trying to send you on the side class like I can't. I can't know to find the big l G things.
Speaker 2: Interested you got any ice cream machines that are very loud? Like no, but we have an LM for Pets sound device.
Speaker 1: LM for Pets was last year really disappointing because it was just like a health app versus something to translate my cat's noise.
Speaker 5: And when I.
Speaker 1: Posted about it, the company fucking emailed me. They were like, actually, please don't. I just was like, no, I'm not taking down my post. Fucking soup. I didn't say that, but if they being if I called my lore, I'm like, I'm being sued by an l M pets company, he would be like he would not be surprised.
Speaker 6: You got to send him a video of your cat knowing really aggressively.
Speaker 2: Yeah, me to Barb treats me with adoration.
Speaker 6: The only time my cats really get down like that is like if I sleep in and didn't feed them at six a m. You know, as opposed to seven a.
Speaker 2: My cats just graze.
Speaker 1: They happily graze, and they don't get fat too, they just perfect.
Speaker 10: The mine have started grazing, but they used to not, and they're still on the like oh my god, I need food right now kind of mindset. And then you give them their food and they're like, I'll have two bites and then Exactually sometimes they screamed.
Speaker 6: To make me watch them eat, and then I'm like, okay, what's up. You got your food, and then they started.
Speaker 1: I have seen a few links to like pets that people have here, Like I saw before the show there was this one that makes noise and peurs and is warm, which sounds like those ones.
Speaker 2: Again, not going to be cynical.
Speaker 1: About those, because there's old people who people with dementia who can't look after.
Speaker 2: A pet, except they made one that has needs as in like you have to like head.
Speaker 1: And it's like, okay, so I get none of the benefits of a living creature, but most of the obligation.
Speaker 6: Something I don't think they'll have a CS, but I've been seeing New York vabes with Tomagachi in them that you have to keep hitting to keep them alive.
Speaker 4: Oh God, what would?
Speaker 2: What would?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Because because the problem with vapes is people don't want to use the Yeah, we need to make nicotine more addictati. We're gamifying the addictions.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, steal your friends vape and see what happens thirty seconds later.
Speaker 2: Yeah, killed it. They should have killed my VeVe.
Speaker 8: It's dead.
Speaker 2: I truly know someone who's very stone, just crying their eyes out. What did I do? I killed my vape and I can't find my keys? There in your hand.
Speaker 5: To help you process the death of your vape.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's going to be an interesting week here in Ces because I've been I've been trying.
Speaker 2: To like read it.
Speaker 1: Last year was just completely off the top of my head, or just made this up as I went along, no one knows. But this year I've like tried to read ahead, thinking, oh, I'll catch it. No, it seems to be most of the stuff from last year again.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it's hard to plan ahead for CS.
Speaker 10: Like. You can planned as much as you want, but then the thing that you planned for is going to end up to be really boring, and I'm gonna be chasing this other thing that heard of, like the omniverse.
Speaker 2: I'm a big omniverse head.
Speaker 1: There's a huge omniverse, and I was really happy to see the half an hour the Jensen Hwung spent talking about it today. Yeah. But yeah, it's just I'm hoping that I'm really if you easy a better offline, email me if you find any weird ship or if you want to just say, what was this bright and ice? I'm gonna get a lot of waves in my email. Thing. No, it's it's I hope that there's something weird. But I get the sense that this year just feels cobbled together in a very strange way. Like last year was not quite half hearted but off, but this one's just like a fucking AI.
Speaker 2: I guess are you on this? What are you looking forward to anything? Lisa, You've got anything fun?
Speaker 11: I mean, there's anything I'm looking forward to.
Speaker 10: I feel like I'm just kind of keeping an eye out for like what some of the smaller companies are doing in AI, because there's a couple of interesting I feel like one small trend I'm seeing a little bit already are like wearables that aren't actually for health tracking but are more for like life logging because like you press a button and it'll you know, you can talk into it and record a reminder or something like that.
Speaker 11: There's the new Pebble ring.
Speaker 4: Does that.
Speaker 11: I don't know if you guys saw at all, do you remember Pebble? Yeah, so they're they're back.
Speaker 10: They have Yeah, they were at CES unveiled last night and they had some new watches which were interesting. I didn't really look at those though, but I was really interested in this ring because again, it's just kind of like fun and different a health tracking one.
Speaker 11: No, it doesn't do any health tracking.
Speaker 10: It does one thing like it has a button on it and you can press it if you want to just like record a reminder or something that you want to remember later.
Speaker 11: Almost like a like a diary.
Speaker 5: It is.
Speaker 2: It just recording.
Speaker 11: So there's I think some AI.
Speaker 10: That happens on the back end and in the app because it'll likerscribe to things that you record and whatnot.
Speaker 11: I just thought it was kind of interesting.
Speaker 2: How much is it?
Speaker 11: I think seventy five dollars or.
Speaker 2: Something like that, right, we're in the realm of not useless. Yeah, just I swear to God, I want one thing. I actually like it. This sh I'm not even trying to be a hate it. No, I do make my heart sing. Please look like a mechanical turk.
Speaker 5: That's what I would like.
Speaker 2: Oh, I have some great news I one looked at.
Speaker 10: I haven't actually seen this yet, but have you guys heard about the clicks Communicator The.
Speaker 1: Michael Fisher's joining us Friday who it's both a creator and an innovator.
Speaker 2: But yes, the clicks Communicator. That's like, what does it do? It's like a little phone thing.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it's supposed to be like a second phone.
Speaker 10: So if you want a phone just to like actually keep in touch with people and not to like fall down a rabbit hole, TikTok or Instagram or whatever, talk to Nano banana or whatever. You It has a built in keyboard. It kind of looks like a BlackBerry And yeah, I mean it runs on Android. I think, so you probably could do other things on it if.
Speaker 11: You really want to do so.
Speaker 4: You can send texts on it, but you can't do other stuff.
Speaker 11: I don't know.
Speaker 10: I have not seen it yet. I was just kind of seeing it in the headlines. But since it runs on Android, presumably you can do other stuff on it. I think it's just designed to be like, hey, this has a smaller screen. There's a built in keyboard, you know something if you just want to actually talk to people and not you know, be immersed in a screen all day, every.
Speaker 2: Second and every psychosis induction device on your own time.
Speaker 4: But like this is a little bit quieter experience.
Speaker 10: I thought it was an interesting idea, and like it's being pitched as like a secondary phone almost like you know how we have work phones and personal phones.
Speaker 11: I guess in that case it would be a third phone.
Speaker 2: But I'm gonna it's funny.
Speaker 1: I have Michael as a creative, but I'm just going to like bug him about his device this time.
Speaker 2: I don't think he'll listen to this, But Michael, let's once you quote coming, but then.
Speaker 1: We're going to wrap it there. Lisa ed A Chico at CNN, of course, thank you so much for joining us.
Speaker 11: Of course, thanks for having me Edwin and.
Speaker 2: Graiso Junior of the Tech Bubble and used that pleasure.
Speaker 1: And uh David Roth of Defectoryeah of course, and yeah, We're gonna have one more bit and then yeah, we'll be wrapped for the day. Thanks for listening everyone. I don't know what the next that is, but I fully endorse it. Welcome back to the Better off line coverage of the Consumer Electronic Show. We're back, folks, and this is the last part of this episode. But tomorrow we're gonna have two two hour episodes. It's going to be full of fun and laughs and giggles. Don't know why I'm making so much talking happening. That's normal ed anyway today enjoyed of course, by David Roth of Defector. Hello, ed on Giso Junior of the Tech Bubble newsletter. Hello, and mister Robert Evans, the magnificent Robert Evans of Behind the Bastards and it could happen here.
Speaker 4: Hello. So we're all doing that right, Yeah, we.
Speaker 1: Were just we were literally just talking about doing voices, yeah, right, which is culturally appropriating.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there are British people who get really offended by it.
Speaker 1: And it's so funny Oudea of a British person being like, you can't you can't be racist. You just say what to me?
Speaker 2: You haven't a laugh.
Speaker 14: There's there's a level of gerialism. And obviously Americans crossed this long ago where you can't get angry people making fun of the way you talk. Yeah, yeah, and this is still true of Italians. It's been two thousand years or whatever. I mean, it depends on when you call them fifteen hundred whatever, a thousand, depending on when you call the end of the Roman Empire. But you can still make fun of Italians.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's never racist.
Speaker 8: I saw that.
Speaker 2: It's true talking like that, Like was Julius getting stabbed? Like, hey, oh his last words were uf madone brutus, What are you doing?
Speaker 12: I wish I knew any other Italian history, Like just like that's it. Caesar and Pasta. Caesar and Pasta supposed to it. You can make fun of British people as much as you won't. It's sure, you're welcome to. I get enough emails about it.
Speaker 1: But let's talk about consumer electronics and robot You were using an exoskeleton.
Speaker 14: Yeah, so, like a couple of weeks before we left for the show, this company, Hypershell reached out to me and said, hey, we make these different exoskeleton products. Several different companies have come out with them that are just now hitting. They've been in industrial uses for a while. There's been varying forms for really the last like ten or fifteen years that I've seen increasingly that are meant to do a mix of things. Some of them and initially these were very separate product categories. They are ones that were meant for people who were having mobility issues, right, to allow people with a disability to move more easily. And then there were ones that were more designed for industrial use. Right, Like, you have people working like an Amazon facility, and they're going to be lifting packages and walking them repeatedly, and you want something that reduces the stress to their body and thus reduces like workmen's comp cools.
Speaker 4: Right, So those are kind of like the two different.
Speaker 2: Of course, not for the humans, it's the workers. All right, we're back.
Speaker 1: We got disconnected due to the Amazon hit squad that was set in because we were discussing workers comp and while we were off micro discussing I do not think it's reasonable to suggest that every dog is a good boy. I don't think you should go it.
Speaker 2: Wow, I just don't just.
Speaker 4: Drop that just.
Speaker 2: I just want to just put this.
Speaker 4: We're also anxious to get back to telling every exoskeletons. Just see the ones that are active duty police officers.
Speaker 5: Yeah, if I got to walk by you at the airport, I don't know.
Speaker 1: We can't understand how dogs talk. We don't know what they're really thinking. So that's all I'm saying. Maybe, yeah, just cursing anyway, exoskeletons back to you.
Speaker 4: Sure, yes, uh so yeah.
Speaker 14: I mean they reached out and asked if I wanted to try this thing at CES, because people walk around a lot at CES.
Speaker 2: I guess, uh.
Speaker 14: This is not really meant as a product for journalists who get their feets tired walking around to trade shows.
Speaker 4: It's mostly a blogging age.
Speaker 2: This is to help you blog finally, But I thought it was interesting. Like I'm I'm a nerd.
Speaker 14: I grew up playing Warhammer, so I'm interested in anything that is like a little step on the road to power armor, which was my immediate thought. It was like powered exoskeleton. I'm going to strap some body armor into this thing and say, oh, it works.
Speaker 5: So I did.
Speaker 4: I did that.
Speaker 14: I mean I played around with it at home. I've got like a sled that's like an exercise. It's like a sled that you load weights onto like push and to shove it because that's a thing that you can do to exercise. Yeah, And I threw on like my my level four plates on a vest and my helmet with earpro and stuff just like I don't know, twenty five pounds maybe of armor and loaded the sled up to about two hundred pounds and pushed and pulled it until I got to well. I did it first without any armor or with with armor on, but without the exoskeleton, to see how long I could go, and then I waited like a day or so to recover, and then I did it with the exoskeleton. I noticed, and I think this may just be down to how it works, because it's not meant for those motions. I noticed that when I was pushing it, I felt the machine assistance like pulling my legs effectively, but when I was pulling it backwards, I didn't really feel much of anything at all. So I think it may just be sort of a factor of like when the thing functions. But I didn't really notice a benefit from that. I have noticed it does seem to like you're exerting less when you're like running or walking on it, So I'm interested in how I feel I'm gonna tomorrow probably hump around like a backpack heavier than I would normally take and keep it on and see how that feels, and then probably do the same thing with like I don't know how else to do it as well, to do a control group experiment. It goes around, it fits around your hips and your like thighs. It ends right above the knee, and there's like a wasteband thing for it, and so it's just meant to kind of.
Speaker 4: Alleviate weight I think on your lower back and your legs.
Speaker 14: Like They've got some statistics that they have on their website that I have no idea how I would begin to verify, and I don't even know like how you would verify stuff like a four. Well, I see, like they say there's like a forty two percent decrease in the average heart rate of people using it.
Speaker 4: That's measurable.
Speaker 14: Yeah, but there's like a thirty percent decrease in physical exertion. I'm not fully sure how you.
Speaker 2: Say all the classic metrics, right, what are you doing? And how hard is it?
Speaker 14: Yeah, And they're saying it's something like a forty percent reduction in like how much like you weight that you feel basically, so theoretically you could carry a load that's fifty percent heavier or carry your additional load with like about half the strain, right, Like that's kind of the claim that they're making. This thing is supposed to have like a thirty kilometer battery range when walking. Now there's different settings, including like an echo and a power one. You can up or down the like intensity the power of the assistance motors. So I assume that decreases substantially when you've got it on like level four, because it goes from one to four, But I have not used it enough to like determine.
Speaker 2: That that's exciting though.
Speaker 14: Yeah, it's a cool product idea I've tested. I think they emailed me because I've tried some of these previous ces. Is just like walking around at the actual booths. It's a really cool idea both for people who actually have like a physical disability, and you know, obviously none of these companies are interested in stuff like this for people who are working in factories for their own sake. But if it does reduce the amount of wear and tear on human bodies, that's a good thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got fucked up ankle. It sounds kind of nice.
Speaker 14: Yeah, that's so I'm interested in how well it actually works for that, and I'm not like Hypershell has been nice to me. I'm hoping that the product works well, but I simply don't have enough time with it.
Speaker 2: How much do the cost it varies?
Speaker 14: Their lowest version costs like nine hundred bucks. The one they sent me it costs about two thousand. But three years ago or so, I think we were looking at like five to ten grand for most of these. So does the cheap prices have been coming.
Speaker 4: Down a lot?
Speaker 2: And what makes the more expensive? Way? Is it big battery or something?
Speaker 4: I think bigger battery.
Speaker 14: They the one of the upgrade versions says carbon, So I'm guessing some of them are carbon fiber and some aren't.
Speaker 4: Mine definitely is.
Speaker 14: But yeah, so I think it's just a matter of like what kind of extras there are on it. But the prices have been decreasing pretty substantially, And from the reading I have done for previous years, there does seem to be some evidence that some products in this category do reduce like strain and injury for people who are working doing jobs where you're like lifting and carrying stuff, so I you know, I think there's some evidence to be optimistic here. I'm interested in how well I don't actually think a convention is the best way to test a product like this out, but I understand why hyper Shell's doing it that way, right, and I'm sure other companies in the space are because like it at least gives you a situation where journalists are going to be walking around a while and can try it out. So I'll see how I think about it. But I am most interested in, like, can I make me into a space marine?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: And I mean that's the ultimate of course.
Speaker 1: This is is interesting because we spent most of the rest of the episode just saying nothing feels new. Everything's kind of just a series of different like coming up with reasons to buy stuff that don't actually appear to be human.
Speaker 2: This is strangely useful just what used to.
Speaker 4: It's kind of thing.
Speaker 14: I'm always most interested in n acees, and that never makes it more than like ten percent of the products you see where it's like, well, this is like a cool thing that I've known we'd eventually make as a species at some point, Like we all knew they're going to have robot exoskeletons someday.
Speaker 4: Be hoping for like it's it's it's not like I had the right, Yeah exactly. It really seemed like they were cutting corners. Remember how wet that ship was. There's a lot of issues there.
Speaker 14: Although I think no Struma was the first one, and I forget what the Sulaco was. The second was the marine ship. Uh, people will get angry at us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's my regrets the error. Yeah, I apologize to alien.
Speaker 4: A flight right now to fight you. I can't even argue with.
Speaker 1: Him, just luckily with landlocked. Otherwise he come with us from the sea.
Speaker 4: His greatest power is does involve the ocean?
Speaker 6: Yeah, right from the like like Aquaman's with the newest movies, looking at that.
Speaker 4: Right rising from one of the canals that the Venetian and absolutely beating that ass exit running like one of the Yeah, I'm just like, you're such a visionaries are like whatever you see.
Speaker 2: Fish to do. He's a pro AI guy though, he's got.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I mean I think he's he's he made the statement that I think a lot of older guys in Hollywood are making without really thinking it through, which is like, oh, yeah, I'm sure it has some applications that I want to explore, and I'm thinking about like the broader socio cultural things that are going on with AI.
Speaker 4: He's just accurately being like, yeah, it's got some uses. I'll look into it.
Speaker 10: You know it.
Speaker 4: For me to almost drown an actress, and I'm like, yeah, what.
Speaker 2: Can most effectively let me nearly kill that? Harris?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Is AI going to revolutionize my ability to.
Speaker 2: At least didn't do?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 5: And that tells me to do?
Speaker 1: Natasha Leone, who is like here, David Lynch love this?
Speaker 3: That may be.
Speaker 2: No. I was saying the other day that.
Speaker 1: Media stuff doesn't usually enrage me that much. But if I fucking hear about Twin Peaks, put it in through the up.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna use nano banana.
Speaker 4: A different pro cool.
Speaker 2: I don't want to see nano banana makes your heart or die.
Speaker 5: It would be would be heartbreaking.
Speaker 1: No, No, anyone who if you'll try to remake Twin Peaks, I will make war with you. I'll tell every media property I have against the new season. I haven't finished season, so you don't.
Speaker 2: I've always thought that the real problem with Twin Peaks was there wearing no do back.
Speaker 14: Lizards like moving around in the background, and there's there's a couple of scenes that could really used an ATS tea.
Speaker 5: You know, I'm on the same page Bob shot.
Speaker 4: First way, I think it's good that the Duffer brothers.
Speaker 2: Someone.
Speaker 4: But this is something that I've been laughing about for like two days. I did not watch The Stranger Things the last season, so I haven't watched the last I guess four or five seasons.
Speaker 2: I just called it Things.
Speaker 4: But the someone pointed out that all the effects in the finale look like the Tried So Hard video by Lincoln the Yark.
Speaker 2: It's funny to me.
Speaker 1: It's that and the corn corn as well, Yes, falling away from me. I saw a clip from that and it looked it looked really a bad but it was like one of them jumping and punching a big horrible CGI aliens throw and it's just like, doesn't this show have the budget of like Ethiopia's GDP or something, and it looks like dog shit. It's so I love slought and people like, well, this is just the preparing to give you l No, it's not, It's just fucking Netflix.
Speaker 2: It's just Netflix destroying money. We aren't you excited they're about to acquire Warner Brothers.
Speaker 4: Fucking just yeah cool.
Speaker 14: I don't know, like I haven't seen the New Stranger Things, because after season one I was like, I think I'm good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was about what I wanted to Yeah. I didn't mind it either. It was we never even talked about watching Into the House like a second season.
Speaker 14: Good for them, good yeah kids. Yeah, I'm glad they're getting their their their bag. I'm not interested here.
Speaker 1: Most of the current season is apparently just like twenty one people in a room standing around folding their arms.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so like Avengers.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, get them in an airplane hangar, put them in a motion capture seat, and then have them talk about what just just a big bill we can get them in.
Speaker 1: We're talking about real things. We as we were discussing the episode, we saw the Jensen Huong thing. Robert, you missed nothing, You missed it. Yeah, you're talking about the in vidio keynote speech. Yeah, and that I thought was tomorrow. Oh yeah, you really missed nothing though, And I went, I kind of mentioned this at the beginning. I went and I looked, and the six New trips. They announced all announced in like either June, October or November, like they're all old. Then you see it again for the first time they knew.
Speaker 5: This is the first time they've been together.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it's like they're actually making one of them. Did you see that on the video that they're making it.
Speaker 2: They're actually going to manufacturing and manufactured, it's in production.
Speaker 1: It's like, and I just saw before we went on that A m D had and really just supported. Greg Brockman for the COO of Open AI went on, it's so cool.
Speaker 5: They went on.
Speaker 1: They did this big fucking speech about how oh, just like compute as the new oil or something. Just blow my brains out whenever I hear it's it's a great it's so fucking cool. But what's great about it, though, is like they didn't talk about the fact that they meant to build a gigawat of data centers by the end of this fucking year.
Speaker 2: It's just like, it's just the farce we talk about that again. Yeah, we don't need we don't need to talk about the thing. We three.
Speaker 5: You're you're a Sixers fan, now trytuf.
Speaker 4: Right, you're locked in.
Speaker 2: Who's the James Harden commit to like, oh no, no, that's Jay Peric. He got five. He moved from No j Peric.
Speaker 1: He went from uh lace Works, a company that was most famous for buying thirty thousand dollars worth of lou Lemon gift cards to get people to use their software, to Meta to Microsoft to run their AI group.
Speaker 2: Like that's the James hard to do anything. But he doesn't.
Speaker 1: But you don't have anyone who like stropoly quits. We don't have any like people like that. That's what we needed.
Speaker 4: We need more like characters Ben Simmons. We need a bench well, I mean that's like I'm not taking layups.
Speaker 2: That's beneath me. I don't do that anymore. It's Ben Simmons. That's like the three Basketball listeners. Sorry, they just fucking love it. Happened to the strong, loud type like Steve Bomber.
Speaker 4: That's what we need. Yes, somebody that I honestly had that when we were watching watching one, Like, I know how much more energy can be involved in this. He's not even sweating a little bit.
Speaker 1: If I had billions of dollars, I would be fucking losing it up that I'd be going inside be like, well, you can't do anything to me, buy this, buy this entype place. But yeah, it's it was so limb, it was so sad. It's like they barely seem to be fucking trying anymore.
Speaker 14: Well, what is there for in Vidio to really say it a keynote? Right, Like, it's not their products are really exciting two people who are in like the business of utilizing them, but it's not like a consumer product that they're hyping up right now.
Speaker 1: This was a lot of analysts and media and such, and it had there was a line out the door.
Speaker 2: Because they're making all the money in the world.
Speaker 4: That's what's exciting. Yeah, I think that was the little bit from the guy that I talked to was sitting next to me. It was just like part of it was like you just wanted to be in a room with a guy rich. Yeah, like not even in like a way that I'm like mixing. He's just like I've never been in a room with a guy that's rich before. It's crazy.
Speaker 2: Like you're in Vegas, go to a strip club, like.
Speaker 14: Like that's the beauty of Vegas. If you stay up late enough, you will get to watch a Saudi shake. Yeah, yeah, it was thirty dollars a crab.
Speaker 2: Stay.
Speaker 1: Just go to as table in like the Venetian Lot, So you will run into someone with too much money if that's really what you desire.
Speaker 2: But no, I mean I saw John McCain wants in the Venetian wild Cut.
Speaker 1: But that's like but otherwise it's just people that shouldn't have that much money that you've never met.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just burning it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, maybe didn't you have a lot of money. It wasn't his wife.
Speaker 4: His wife is very rich.
Speaker 1: Ye.
Speaker 4: Crazy. Now I think it's like I think it's like regional liquor wholesale money, like one of those like classic American gentry things where it's like kinds. Yeah, no, that's John Carrey's.
Speaker 2: Yes, right, the hides.
Speaker 4: I was like, I don't know people get rich anymore.
Speaker 1: John McCain is a fur trap I look forward to the CS fur trapping section.
Speaker 4: I prefer that background for him.
Speaker 2: I would love it if there's a.
Speaker 12: Kidnapped by beavers in the middle of the fair trapping expedition.
Speaker 4: They tortured him for five years.
Speaker 5: They don't like what we're doing. Not happy with it. Yeah, the word Vitnam was really just.
Speaker 6: Ugorging and ripping up those damn that's what it was.
Speaker 1: Oh, I wish tech was actually this fun though, because it's just like Greg Brockman going and talking to Lisa SuperM AMD just fucking just wobbling around, mumbling shit about compute and data centers that they can't build because they don't have credit.
Speaker 14: Like what is there exciting to say other than look at how much money we're worth and look at how much money we're making.
Speaker 2: But that was the thing with m video.
Speaker 1: They didn't talk about any any products, Like they didn't even talk about their own products. It's like it's the most egregious cafe I've ever seen because gone to the head. I don't think any of these that's not a threat gone to the head. I don't think these people are like actually have an answer.
Speaker 14: No, I mean because it's like there's not a solution financially to the sheer of money that's been invested, and like in Vidia is in the enviable position of like there the money they've made is like real people are actually buying chips that they made, but the industry supporting it. There's a lot of vapor and everyone's kind of aware that like at some point it's going to come crashing down to earth. And we had like a reality check in the last quarter of last year on Nvidiot, not all the way down, but like their their bubble got certainly deflated partially, and there's I think a growing awareness that, like, well, whatever happens with this, you know, even if the bubble never pops, even if AI doesn't like get sort of punctured in the way that people, including a lot of us, think it's going to in, Nvidia is not going to keep riding this high forever.
Speaker 4: And I don't know, there's not a graceful way for them to deal with that, but they're trying.
Speaker 1: They're trying doing this thing called the omnibus. Yeah, yeah, it's called the omniverse. They're calling it the omniverse.
Speaker 5: We love the omniverse.
Speaker 1: It's just it's just it's this whole bullshit thing. World Models is another thing. It's just a made up thing for will do simulations using GPUs now have to be.
Speaker 2: Confused with the metaverse, which is very different.
Speaker 4: This is Weir's.
Speaker 1: It reminds me this is a really deep cunt and anyone who remembers this please email me. There's a thing called the DC did called death Metal, where like the Batman who laughs, who's a joke of Batman?
Speaker 2: Just best to get past that.
Speaker 1: There's a bit in it where they meet a guy from there's a thing above the multiverse called the omniverse and he's just guy with the pumpkinhead and I remember reading the Omniverse and that it's just being like fuck off, just fucking and then but what it is is they buy compute from like Microsoft or Meta or sorry Microsoft, Google or Amazon and then rent it to people so they can run simulations using their Omniverse software. The information credit to them put out story today just being like yeah, it's not making any money and everyone hates it. And it was the first just half of a two hour long presentation and they're just like they've put it really well.
Speaker 2: It was like, yeah, here's a bunch of stuff. If we could do this, how goold would that be?
Speaker 1: And it's like none of it's real, right, it's so cool, And I think what they're trying to do is be like, look, you bought all these GPOs, what if you could do this, Well you can't.
Speaker 2: You can't do that.
Speaker 1: We cannot do this, but what if you could And it was so straight because everyone was you could hear people coughing in there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, people leave it people. Actually it was.
Speaker 1: Really strange, and then there was a tiny bit of AI stuff. It's really truly bizarre.
Speaker 4: I mean, it does feel like.
Speaker 14: People are starting to get sort of fed up with the lack the things that have not materialized that should have buy now. Yeah right, And I find you get a lot of you get a lot of pushback if you're like this is fake and this is bullshit, which is like my emotional opinion. But you get a lot less pushback if you're like, I just don't see how this can be worth as much money as it needs to be industry, and that you get a pretty broad agreement of like yeah, something like there's something fucky with that.
Speaker 2: That was the bit that I wound up coming out of it.
Speaker 4: Like, I think the big feeling that I felt afterwards, beyond like bored and hungry, was that, like I felt kind of sad about it because it's like it's clear that there's like there is all of this capacity to do all of this like computational stuff that you couldn't really do before. But there's not any sense of like what that's for or what you're going to do.
Speaker 14: It's just computer psych Well, and I think, and this is me, there's a degree to which I'm not even fully confident what I'm saying here, but I get.
Speaker 2: The sports ter go off.
Speaker 14: I get the feeling, and have read some accounts that make me believe that there are applications for a lot of this, a lot of like a what gets broadly lumped in on as AI in like different kinds of like medical.
Speaker 4: Science exactly, and nothing that's going to make this company worth fifteen trillion dollars or whatever.
Speaker 2: And nothing that does anything on it. It's not the AI will come up with the medicine.
Speaker 14: It's like, no, the AI is capable of like brute forcing its way through analyte doing a lot of like theoretical tests or analyzing like a huge amount of data. And if you build a model specifically to deal with like this kind of medical data, that it can be a time saving tool that allows you to do other things, which is not a sexy thing. And the way that like AI is going to cure cancer is and it's not sexy to be like, well, AI will allow us to prototype more efficiently different kinds of like materials to make holes of spacecraft out of, and maybe that will speed up the process of developing these things, which is like a thing that theoretically might happen, and that's not as sexy as like AI is going to figure out how to take us into space.
Speaker 2: And this conversation is.
Speaker 4: Also so fucking old at this point, right, that bit of it where it's sort of like I'm so aware of the thing where it's like it's going to be able to think for itself and it's going to like fix We're not going to need to have jobs anymore, right, And then like eventually like you work your way back from that to like protein folding. Right, I don't know what protein folding is. Apparently AI is extremely good at sure, but it's like you can't talk about that because nobody knows what protein folding is. But when you talk about the other shit, it makes me, for one thing, doubt that it's any good at protein folding.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 1: You know it's because protein folding is a totally like it's not even LLM drew, it's not even GPU's machine learning shit. Yeah, And it's the thing is with it, like the medical example as well. They're doing that already. Again, it's only kind of lllms, but not really. And it's just to your point about we've had this one before. I'm pretty sure I heard this conversation lot, not even from us, like I've heard some version of this. Were sitting around being like, yeah, you know it might be good for this when because before the Nvidio thing, we had this panel with these people who were just saying stuff that slowly was driving me insane and I was getting ready. I was I eventually just started muttering to myself like.
Speaker 2: A crazy person.
Speaker 1: But there was just the CEO of a Bridge, which is an AI scribe for doctors.
Speaker 2: You're saying, a bridge, how did you get that job? Just a single bridge?
Speaker 1: And he kept trying to sell me yeah, and he was just talking about just would salad on wood salad, trying to get around the fact that his AI just transcribes what doc to.
Speaker 2: Say, and it's just like, who fucking can't.
Speaker 4: Right, Well, it's one of those things where it's like I think doctors would like that, but you can't. For his business to be worth which I believe you looked it up, was like five billion dollars, yeah, five point five billion. It's like, in order for it to work, it also has to like to justify that valuation. It has to make evaluations like no doctor wants it to fucking do that. They're doctors.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's it's just it's almost cliche. Yeah, it's being forced into anything.
Speaker 14: I was mentioning on the earliest, like Microsoft today it's no longer office, it's co pilot.
Speaker 4: Like, fuck you.
Speaker 14: I how many times that I said, no, I'm not using co pilot. You're trying to force me.
Speaker 4: That's amazing that they just like they've got such a bet on their hands that they're like, uh, the Batman.
Speaker 2: Movies are now the Avengers or whatever. It's like to some other like Google did that already.
Speaker 1: They changed Google Assistant to Google Gemini, and they're like four hundred million activities.
Speaker 14: And they're going to do the same thing with fucking co pilot, where it's like, look at all these people know we're all using fucking word and Excel.
Speaker 1: Well, what's funny, though, is they're not going to be able to do that because I have fucking Microsoft's numbers, I have Microsoft's revenues.
Speaker 2: I'm coming out with at the end of January. Frank, sure you fucking wants some email me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I already have hub Copilo's revenue to fucker like that's the thing like these I'm fucking sick of this because people are being lied to, not just doing an episode of but I guess this is the showm recording.
Speaker 2: But it's just walking around hearing they put.
Speaker 1: The thing that made me actually snap on their trip was they put Nano Banana in a television and I'm just.
Speaker 2: Look, you get a Cobert what is it's a three straight episodes.
Speaker 1: It's an image generate a model from Google that they called the World's dumbest fucking name because they insist on making me literally its name Yanana Banana and Nana Banana proa and.
Speaker 4: None of ban television.
Speaker 2: They should make up the version that you have to pay for. It should just have a normal.
Speaker 5: Nan no Banana pro three plus.
Speaker 1: I think it's just it just shows loathing for the customer, like you little anything, Nano you fucking pigs.
Speaker 14: I think they're probably it's probably jealousy and some fomo at Elon musk Warble, he gives his stuff really funny stupid.
Speaker 4: Maybe that's why that's the secret. Maybe we'll get some of that epic two. Yeah yeah, maybe.
Speaker 2: Maybe they can copy the other things.
Speaker 5: And then.
Speaker 2: Plus plus yeah Mercedes, oh yeah yeah. They had a whole thing with a panel with Mercedes.
Speaker 1: And this guy from Skilled AI who was like one robot, one brain, one purpose or some.
Speaker 4: One was also sitting up there he was.
Speaker 1: It was just one panel. It was just of just people, just like all in varying stages of concussion protocol, just like just like saying ship to each other and Sarah grow the specie spent. So when AI is powerful and large language models, would that be interesting? And the guy going I agree, they would be powerful and indeed in robots.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It was just in and people around's going yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah that is.
Speaker 6: I loved that little chat when this was going on, where the guy was like, you know, we're making bass layers by watching oh yeah yeah and then practicing. That's how you learned to do any real task. Aus everyone knows, and it's just you watch a YouTube video of three thousand times.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just I can't think of any other run now and base layering.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, I'm watching Jamal Crawford, the sickest buckets.
Speaker 2: Yeah, twenty two minutes.
Speaker 5: I'm watching un Expected lebron edits five minutes.
Speaker 1: It's just so strange as well, because I've been fucked with a lot in my life.
Speaker 2: It just feels like we're being fucked.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just like a weird we're not even ConA this, but just like everyone's just like this taunting.
Speaker 14: Yeah, something that's so dispiriting is that, like I can tell you're not even you're you're past the point where you think you have to even work to life, Like you're just being lazy, like we all know everyone, like the majority of people found copalad annoying and said no repeatedly. And you want to be able to claim everyone using an office product is using AI to trick your shareholders. So you're just fucking changing it and like there's nothing, there's not any more thought to it than that you're not at all scared of regulators. You don't give a fuck about what the people paying to use your product. And that's just it's dispiriting because like, yeah, there is nothing I can do right, Like I could I could switch my operator my my like uh my word processor, I guess and probably will at some point this year. It just means embracing a pain in the ass of like switching a bunch of stuff around. But at this point I think it's worth it because I'm an annoyed at you, like you've annoyed me enough, and I don't think that's going to impact Microsoft's bottom line. I don't think enough people are going to switch for it to matter. It's just again dispiriting.
Speaker 2: Also, no one's gonna call it co Pilot.
Speaker 4: They're gonna call it a name.
Speaker 2: They're gonna call it Microsoft Office because you're going to say it to like a grandma word using fucking COVID dipship.
Speaker 1: It is so cool we now have software that's deliberately annoying. It's just like, hey, hey, do you want to you want to use co pilot?
Speaker 2: You want to you want this?
Speaker 5: To write it?
Speaker 2: I'm fucking writing it. I'm writing it. Please leave me alone. No, I use Apple Notes now, not because I like it, but because it doesn't just.
Speaker 5: Document.
Speaker 14: The problem is every big player in consumer technology right now has attained and is expressing the exact vibes of like a guy that you would cover your drink around. Yeah, right, where it's like they're just it's just this constant pressure and const like hey, hey, hey, yeah, you know what, once you come sit with me, I'm just gonna sit down next I'm just gonna hang out with you. Like it's it's this, I've said no so many times and you are not at all listening. And that's how using technology feels.
Speaker 4: And I hate it.
Speaker 1: I mean that is and that's a good good way to kind of like wrap up the episode as well. But I think that's what the theme of CE as opposed to be this year. It's just like obtrusive stuff. How like the I know I keep saying no, no, no banana. The reason this has driven me insane is it's like, I don't need the TV to generate images.
Speaker 2: I'm watching the television and.
Speaker 4: You try it, Yeah, maybe you like it? What TV was a computer too, though I do nan banana.
Speaker 2: Pro offers many features that aren't available.
Speaker 1: Not a banana con generate of winning. It's just like not aa like. And also, what kind of fucking freak is sitting there being like I want my television to generate an image.
Speaker 2: No, if you try and do that, your television should break.
Speaker 14: Yes, hey, I know you're putting on a torrented copy of Star Trek the Next Generation to watch while you cry yet again, what if rakers?
Speaker 4: Dick was out fucking freaks Google, but that wol that get you to start saying Gemini.
Speaker 2: If for that.
Speaker 4: During emotional blackmail and it's wrong.
Speaker 1: And before we wrap as well, Robert I have said this earlier in the episode as well, But there was a bit where in video as Jensen one was talking to two robots just like and he was like, this is how we make you this from And it turns out it was from like the Fallen Order, like the second of the games with cocasts with the yeah, with the guy from what Shameless?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, this is Shameless, the Joker, the Joker, Yeah, that guy.
Speaker 1: And it's like I did not I'm a big Star Wars head, but of like the actual Star Wars stuff, and it's like, okay, and how much did you pay like a million dollars for that? But you know that they were like, what's the cheapest one, what's the.
Speaker 4: Cheap get one of the games?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we get one.
Speaker 4: We'll give you one of the what's that game from the N sixty four A game? I bet he's cheap.
Speaker 2: Kyle Katan.
Speaker 1: Just immediately, don't remember anything but Kyle Katan. Oh.
Speaker 2: Let's sign off from there.
Speaker 1: All right, David Rath, thank you so much for joining us to be here from Defector. We'll have you in the episode. Notes Robert Evans, You'll be back.
Speaker 4: Will be back, Yeah, I'll be here all week.
Speaker 2: Hell yeah, and Edwin and Graso Junior who also be hit all week.
Speaker 5: I will, I will.
Speaker 1: And then to wrap the episode, so before we go, I want to talk about something we'll be doing at the end of every episode. So back, So just a little history on the suite back would be. Our firm used to have this suite and have journals come in and back since the late twenty tens.
Speaker 2: We did this.
Speaker 1: We had journals come in and there was a blow called Sean Paul Adams who kind of visit it was good mate and mine, good mate.
Speaker 2: My friend passed last year.
Speaker 1: I want to order him by encouraging you to donate to the Pediatric Epilepsy Research Consortium.
Speaker 2: Shanpault signed his epileptic and his family deeply appreciate it.
Speaker 1: He was also would be. He's deeply misplaced friends and family. He's one of the highlights of the Sweet when he visited. So yeah, I'll love a link in the show notes will be here all week.
Speaker 5: Everyone.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for sticking with us from this episode, and yeah, we'll have two more tomorrow and every day on Saturday, we'll just have one.
Speaker 2: Cheers everyone, Bye.
Speaker 4: Go with guards.
Speaker 9: Thank you for listening to Better Offline. The editor and composer of the Better Offline theme song is Mattasowski. You can check out more of his music and audio projects at Mattasowski dot com, m A.
Speaker 2: T T O s O W s ki dot com.
Speaker 9: You can email me at easy at Better Offline dot com or visit better Offline dot com to find more podcast links and of course my newsletter. I also really recommend you go to chat dot Where's youreed dot at to visit the discord, and go to our slash.
Speaker 2: Better off Line to check out our reddit. Thank you so much for listening. Better Offline is a production of cool Zone Media. For more from cool Zone Media, visit our website Coolzonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.