Speaker 1: You're listening to the Miami Dolphins Podcast Network.
Speaker 2: This is Drive Time with Travis Wingfield. Back to throw to a looking clips about.
Speaker 1: A wide Dolphin touchdown, Tyriquel, uncrelievable.
Speaker 3: It's just blue.
Speaker 2: Fire for a second time. Don knew where he was going right away.
Speaker 3: I want to hit that though. Man, I'm gonna help you.
Speaker 4: Someone will keep on his man away Wattle Wadle to a shot gun, back to throw, looking at them up myers touchdown.
Speaker 2: It's Waddle his sixth touchdown pass the team.
Speaker 1: Drive Time with Travis Wingfield begins.
Speaker 3: Now let me check your pulse if you're not for.
Speaker 2: What is up to? Dolphins? And welcome to the Drive Time.
Speaker 4: Podcast, part of the Miami Dolphins podcast Network, covering your team, your Miami Dolphins.
Speaker 2: How's it going? Everybody?
Speaker 4: I am your host, Travis Wingfield. And on today's show we finish up the aditional previews. Dante Colinelly joins me to break down this year's defensive backs class and also talk about how Jalen Ramsey, how Deshaun Elliott fit into the new defense and how everybody xaviing Howard, Brandon Jones, Javon holland the entire crew fits under new dc VIC Fangio will also break down the entirety of who might be available at each pick in this position group in this upcoming draft. All of that and a heck of a lot more from the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex.
Speaker 2: This is the Draft Time Podcast.
Speaker 4: Heyye Jeff, please welcome me in joining my guests today Dante colinelly and joining me now on the Draft Time Podcast to break down our final position group here in the twenty twenty three NFL Draft Preview is Dante Colinelli And Dante, you're a Dolphins fan, You're a big draft guy. Had to get you on here today. Man, I think this is our first time officially meeting and talking. But how you doing, my friend?
Speaker 3: I'm doing great.
Speaker 1: This is super exciting, really really happy to be able to talk about the DV class. It's one of the better groups I think in this draft class. Really nice cornerback groups and interesting safety So this is exciting.
Speaker 2: It's it definitely is.
Speaker 4: And that's where you know a lot of my draft coverage early on, especially back at the combine, talking to all the heavy hitters that I was fortunate enough to interview. We talked a lot about that position group, and then you add in a Jalen Ramsey and all of a sudden, it's like, okay, well, there goes a thousand snaps that were potentially available that are no longer available to Sean Elliott comes in and I think can probably fulfill you know, a decent role that safety position in terms of a group that plays you know, three safety's a lot in this defense. So you've got, you know, I would say, several really good safeties, probably even more really good cornerbacks. But I still think that it's a position that you're always looking to fill and round out. So I want to get to that here with you eventually in this year's class. But first, you know, go back to what you allude to there, Jalen Ramsey in this Vic Fangio defense, how does Javon Holland and Brandon Jones take on what this defense looks like? How do you think his current secondary of Miami is built to execute what Vic Fangio does on defense.
Speaker 1: I think it's built really well, and it's a testament to Chris Greer and the guys for getting some new players in the building and then also getting a guy like vic Vangio with that pedigree. I think what stands out when watching Vangio's defenses over the years is he likes to be multiple right. Everyone says, oh, it's quarters, it's zone, and it is right, and that's the base. But Dangio is gonna throw a lot at you. He's gonna move players post snap. He needs corners and safeties who can man up right when he does want to send one of his rare blitzes. Can Javon Holland come into the slot, absolutely right, Javon Holland can play in the back end. And then you have guys like Deshaun Elliott and Brandon Jones, who can do a lot of different things right, who can play in coverage, can play in deeper stones. We know how good Brandon Jones is getting after the quarterback as a blitzer coming downhill in the run game. And you look at Jalen Ramsey arguably maybe the best pure cover corner of the past eight ish years or so, right, and even though he had like a little bit of a downtack last year in Los Angeles, it's still very clear that he's a very, very good cornerback. And so when you get as many guys as the Dolphins now have with guys already on the roster like Javon Holland, like Xavier Howard, and then you add you know, you get Brandon Jon's back from injury, you add Elliott, you add Ramsey. All of a sudden, every option that Vic Bangeo wants to get to is open.
Speaker 4: You kind of allude to it there, and I wanted to follow up about, you know, the addition of Ramsey and what it means for for an Xavion Howard because last year, you know, the Dolphins had so much attrition at the cornerback position. Forgive the rhyme there, but uh, you know, Xaviing Howard and kater Kohu were the two guys that you were pretty much dependent upon for you know, playing every snap every game and when when you had available. But I'm curious how Jalen Ramsey can potentially impact their roles, and particularly Xavier Howard who had so much on his plate last year. I mean, you go back to the playoff game being asked to really handle Stefan Digs without help one on one, you know, to the field some times where it's kind of lost base to cover. How does Ramsey make xaviing Howard better, do you think?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a really good question, I think, and you kind of alluded to a larger point that I think is going to help Howard. Is the scheme change right? And you know, for better for worse. Miami's previous defense was one on one coverage. Everyone gets a man and you get no help unless Javon Hollwind runs halfway across the field to help you over the top, which.
Speaker 3: He can't do, right.
Speaker 1: And so that's the benefit of having that player, and you can run that defense, and the Dolphins won plenty of games with that defense, right. But at the same time, it's a lot of pressure on your cornerbacks and you know, Xavier was battling different things last year and it's tough to just be constantly, always by yourself on that island. And so the scheme change is going to help one too. And then to answer your question more specifically with Ramsey, it just takes generally some pressure off, like there's just another guy back there but you can trust. And that's not a knock on Nick Needum or Cater Kohu or any of the other cornerbacks that have been on there, but I mean, look, the reality situation is, and Ramsey's just simply a step up of those guys. He's probably gonna be a Hall of Fame type corner, right, So, like it just it helps mentally, I think it'll help howerd it just being like, hey, like I know, I have a dog on the other side of me who's just really, really a good player. And so it goes back to the scheme thing, right, and Howard now will not be asked to just stand on an island and cover Stefon Diggs with you know, all this space to the field, right, and they can kind of swop it out. You know, maybe you throw different looks at receivers. You can give Howard a break. You know, he covers Stefon Diggs to start the game, and then you throw Jalen Ramsey at him, and then you know, you put digs on somebody like Gabe Dave's different things like that. So just having another talented player I think is going to help Howard. And I don't know that the Dolphins cornerback room is going to be really really interesting guys coming back from injury, but like Ramsey and Howard arguably maybe you know, when they're at the top of their game. Best cornerback duo in the league, just on paper.
Speaker 4: And yeah, I mean that's that's pretty much how this ross looks right now because not to mention, you know, what they've done to the past rush in terms of adding Chubb last year, Phillips's development in year number two Christian Wilkins is an absolute menus up front, Zach. I mean, the names just keep on coming and coming. Malik Reed was a great acquisition in my opinion, Manual Ogbas back from injury, and so you get all those guys that can win pass rush reps without having to blitz as much as maybe you have in the past, and I think that that really benefits guys like that. Plus I'm also curious and this is kind of, you know, going more into your NFL expertise in general, Like last year we saw Patrick Pearson have one of his best years in a while as a veteran because there was more of a transition to at Dantel defense, which is what you know he learned under Vic Fangil, a lot more zone turn, a lot more eyes in the quarterback. When I look at X and Jalen and maybe you can confirm us For me, I think to myself, like, those are two guys that have the eyes and instincts and trigger to really benefit from playing a little more zone turn a little more off like you mentioned. I'm just curious if you agree with that and how you see that working out for those guys in this in the scenario that it is a primary zone defense.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think it's going to be really interesting with Howard, right, because I think Howard is kind of viewed as this like pure man coverage corner. But when you watch Howard play man coverage, I mean, what is he doing. He's hanging off watching the quarterback, baiting them into bad throws and then making ridiculous recovery interceptions, right, Like that's his game. And so I think that this will benefit him, and I think to a larger point, you know, Howard's getting, you know, towards that cornerback threshold of age, right, and so what do we see with older corners, Well, they kind of make that transition to these smarter, savvier zone players to extend their career and they and like you mentioned, Patrick Peterson can still be incredibly productive late in his career. Richard Sherman was kind of always a zone ish corner, but even towards the end of his career as he transitioned to play in places like San Francisco, he had some good seasons in a similar ish scheme. Again, they like to do a little bit more cover through there, but not really the point, right, it's primary zone. How I think Howard will be fine. Right, I think people have kind of over overestimated how reliant he is on man coverage, and I think actually it'll it'll benefit him into the twilight of his career at It'll be less wear and tear on his body.
Speaker 3: Ideally.
Speaker 4: When you talk about that, I always make references to other sports, and primarily baseball. All I can think about is like Greg Maddox and Jamie Moyer, who went from you know, they never had the big time fastball, but getting guys out consistently with eighty eight miles an hour and just working the corners man, That's that's kind of how I view that with those players, and you know, Peterson's a great example of that. And if it works out that way for X and for Jalen too, on top of what they already give you in that man coverage.
Speaker 2: It keeps you flexible keeps you versatile. So that's really cool to see.
Speaker 4: And you know, on the topic of being a flexible and versatile last question before we get to the draft class here and take our first break. You know Javon Holland and Brandon Jones, Like I I've always kind of thought Buffalo had the ideal safety tandem with Micah Hyde and Jordan Poyer, mainly well, on top of the fact they're both great players, but mainly because their football acumen and also their position really being almost positionless players allow buff Low to flip the defense at any given time, right or just make a change at the snap which confuses the quarterback. Do you kind of see Miami having something similar here with Javon Holland and Brandon Jones in this mc fangio defense.
Speaker 3: I do, I really do.
Speaker 1: I think more specifically, like Javon Holland is just an outrageously good football player, like he is, just you line him up anywhere, I'd be comfortable with him slot, you know, small guys, tight ends. You want to put him deep in cover too, you want to put him in single high, you want to blitz them. I think you could send him off the edge, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him hit a pass rush move on a tackle like he is just he's an all world football talent. So when you have that guy who can play all over the place complimented by a player like Brandon Jones, who I think, you know, we could probably both agree probably best closer to the line of scrimmage, not to say that he can't cover or that he's bad in zone coverage, but I think where you get the most out of Brandon Jones, it's running downhill, impacting in the run game, going after the quarterback as a blitzer, Like he's really dynamic in those scenarios, and he can really you know, force interceptions on pressures and force fumbles and get TFLs and different things like that. So when you have a player like Javon Holland who's incredibly versatile on the back end, but also good coming to the line of scrimmage, playing man coverage if you have to, and then Brandon Jones, who maybe a little bit more of the opposite. Rady's better close for linon of scrimmage, but you feel comfortable putting him back there, Like he's fast, he's he's instinctual he's gonna hit guys, you know, like, you don't want to see Brandon Jones, you know, dropping into as a robber in the middle of the field if you're coming in on a dig route or something like that. That's the last person I'd want to see on Miami's defense in the middle of the field. So I really think that they have that opportunity to flip the defense the way Vangeo wants because of those safeties.
Speaker 4: Yeah, one of the traits that made me attracted that Brandon Jones as a collegiate was him playing that star slot role at Texas and they had that great game against Joe Burrow and yeah, LSU went up and down the field in that game, but there were so many reps in that game where Brandon Jones was playing the slot one on one against some very good receivers at Jamar Chase of times and holding his own in that regard.
Speaker 2: So he can do it.
Speaker 4: But like to your point, to me, it's taking away from what he does if you don't have him going towards the lion of scrimmage frequently because the way he times those blitz sometimes those rounds, man is he is one of the very best in the game. It's why his sack production is really tops among safeties in the national football the last couple of years. You know, on a personal basis, getting injured last year, that sucked. But he's back this year and looking good, So looking forward to getting him back in the fold. Let's go ahead and take our first break right there, talking about the current Dolphins. Next, we're gonna look at this year's draft class. Will the Dolphins go in this direction come April twenty seventh or I guess twenty eighth those two Day two picks at.
Speaker 2: The defensive back position. We'll talk to Dante Colinelli about that.
Speaker 4: Next Draft Time podcast, your host, Travis Wingfield, brought to you by Auto Nation. Segment number two is where we kick off the draft discussion. Here our final positional preview. Dante Deek Colinellie joins me here talking about defensive backs, and I went ahead and combined cornerback in safety this year because of what we talked about in the previous segment. Looks pretty dang good on paper. You mentioned, you know, Nick Needham coming back and just the role that he is fulfilled in this defense for years, which is basically, hey, whatever we don't have nick. We're gonna put you out there and go do it. So he provides great depth that way, on top of what you already have at the top of the roster in the safety position.
Speaker 2: Similar that way. I'm a big Deshaun Elliott fan.
Speaker 4: I think his tape is really good both in Detroit and Baltimore. But still like you can never have enough defensive backs. We've seen this be a position that the Dolphins have targeted heavily in the draft in recent years in a free agency as well. But I'm curious, before we get to pick fifty one for the Dolphins, will see their logo on draft night for the first time up on the TV. How many defensive backs do you think will be gone by pick fifty one. I know corner probably has a lot more than safety, but I'm curious which guys you are convinced corner and safety are gone by pick fifty one.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's a really good one. Just to put some context around this, I've watched sixteen corners so far this year. I have fifteen guys grated on the first two days of the draft. Corner, we're not even talking about safety. I think safety honestly there's a chance only one guy comes off the board before fifty one. I don't feel like this is a particularly strong safety class. It's a deep class. I think you have Brian Branch at the top is probably a guy I think you should go in the first round. If I was gonna do a big board this year, he'd be a top ten player for me in the class because why consider positional value there? He's just really, really good, can play slot corner. Now flipping over to corner. I think four guys are going to go in the first round. At minimum, that'll be Christian Zales, to Vond Witherspoon, Joey Porter, Junior Deontay Banks. I think those four guys are gonna go, probably the Ravens pick what twenty two or twenty one. I think they all four of them might be off the board at that point, so that would be a minimum. And then you start to get into guys like DJ Turner from Michigan, Clark Phillips from Utah, Williams from Syracuse. So there's a lot of guys who could go before pick fifty. I think you have five if you're asking me about safety. So Brian Brand and the four corners that I mentioned will definitely be gone. I think those guys should go in the first round. After that, it gets tough because teams will have to decide do I want to dip into a strength of this draft or do I want to wait because it is a strong class and I feel like I can get those guys further down the board. So we'll see. I think those five though at the top, are definitely going to be gone.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I've been having that discussion almost all draft season long about several positions and this is one of them. And again going back to the combine before the Jaylen Ramsey trade. You know, I was, you know, not the name drop here, but like Daniel Jeremiah was asking him, do you think the cornerback position, the tight end position because it's so loaded, the running back position? Really some areas that were highlighted going into the offseason as big areas of need for the Miami Dolphins. Are these groups going to get suppressed because of the total talent pool that the group has, you know in general, and you mentioned it right there, like I wrote in my notes, you mentioned you have fifteen of your sixteen corners you've watched as Day one or two grades, and then you only gave me four names for the first round, which not a math major Dante. But that tells me, Yeah, eleven players you expect to go in that second day? Yeah, only which of those guys you think are our prime position to be options at fifty one, regardless of the fact that they do have again Jalen x cater Needham, like so many guys that can play ball. Yeah, because I look at some guys in this class, like Julius Brents is a guy that I.
Speaker 2: Think is a damn good player.
Speaker 4: Like, who do you think is a good fit there at fifty one for Dolphins wanted to go corner or safety.
Speaker 1: Two guys that popped out to me when I was watching film there. Both at corner one is Garrett Williams from Syracuse, who I kind of mentioned is in that next crop. I just think, scheme fit wise, you're getting a like I watched him and I went, oh, that's a big Vangio corner right this bigger, longer, good tackler, zone, primary coverage guy, really really good ball skills, had a lot of ball production at Syracuse. I like a lot of what he brings the table, specifically for Miami. He's an outside only guy that I don't think you're going to want to put him on the inside and then the other player. And you know, Travis, here's here's my draft philosophy. My draft pilosophy is just draft good football players, right, and that sounds really easy, But the court sometimes like teams overthinking Clark Phillips is smaller, teams are gonna you know, poke holes. He's not the fastest guy in the world. He's not the biggest guy in the world. He's a junkyard dog on film. He got better every year at Utah. Really really good ball production, good in man coverage, good in zone coverage, really really smart football player. Does he have the highest ceiling in the world.
Speaker 3: Maybe not.
Speaker 1: But when you're outside the top fifty, like the Dolphins are at pick fifty one, sometimes it's just easy to take guys with really low floors at premium positions and like, figure it out. Phillips can play inside, Phillips can play outside. He gives you another really good coverage option. So those would be the two off the top of my head. But you know, Julius Brentz is another one who is right in that group, right like, I don't have him graded too far below somebody like Arret Williams. I mean, Brents is just gigantic, other worldly arm length at the cornerback position, and he just he sucks up zone holes like crazy. He just stretches out his arm and all of a sudden it's a PBu. It's like, wow, I don't even even see this guy in the screen before. It's crazy. His film is a ton of fun, so really really deep. Day two corner Class. I'm also very stingy on first round grades. I don't hand out first round grades like candy very much, so that's probably why there's eleven of them.
Speaker 3: But those would be three guys.
Speaker 1: Off the top of my head I think are solid scheme fits and also realistic options.
Speaker 2: I like a Stickler draft guru because you provide.
Speaker 4: When you do like a guy, it makes it almost It's like using the F word, right, it's more profound when you only use it every once in a while, which I could probably take a note from that book myself. But you mentioned two guys there that I want to kind of talk about a little more because you did cover him really well. But like Clark Phillips, the first thing you mentioned him is to me is Kyle Whittingham. I love a Kyle Whittingham coach player.
Speaker 2: Like they just are.
Speaker 4: They do it the right way. They're always physical, like you mentioned. Junkyard Dog sounds like a utah ute to me. And then Julius Brentz allows me to use two of my favorite scouting cliches. One I came up with, but I'm sure it's been used before. Another one Emery Hunt from CBS Sports HQ gave me. He said that Julius Brents and I don't think he was talking about Brents, but he a guy like that can scratch his knees standing straight up. I love that that because his arms are so long. I mentioned it there, but go go gadget arms. When you talk about the the PBUs that he comes out of nowhere just reminds me of that. So those are guys that you think fit pretty well at the cornerback position.
Speaker 2: How about turning on to pick number eighty four. We got two picks on day two.
Speaker 4: There was three picks on day two before the Ramsey trade, so maybe you look at that like, Okay, the Dolphins assessed this as a position of need. They utilize one of those draft picks to fill that need, and what a great way to do it with the player of Ramsey's caliber. But like we said, you never know draft good football players. It sounds like you've heard the Draft Signed podcast a few times. We use that term quite a lot. My buddy Kyle Krabs at the Draft Network you used it a lot as well.
Speaker 2: But you never know.
Speaker 4: Man. This is a position group that, like you said, the depth could provide insane value. Who are some guys you think might be hanging around at pick eighty four that you might like to come back and swoop up, either a cornerback or safety.
Speaker 1: Yeah, again, I would start with corner Two pac twelve guys come to mind. Kyle Blue Kelly from Stanford I think is a pretty good scheme fit. I have like a late second round, early third round great on him, so fringe eighty fourish guy, depending on how this cornerback class kind of goes. And then two guys from Oregon State Alex Austin and Rejohn Wright, right, I think is a better scheme fit for the Dolphins. He's more of your traditional zone corner. I really like Alex Austin though from Oregon state. I think he's a bit more versatile. I think he can give you a little bit more in man coverage. A better athlete than Right, But I think Right honestly is like a really solid depth zone corner. And I feel the same way about Kelly as well. I thought Kelly had a nice senior Bowl out of Stanford. So those are three corners that I would target. Safety's tough because it really it's hard to judge where these guys are gonna go. Antonio Johnson from Texas A and M is really interesting, high level recruit, really really good athlete. I don't know where this safety class is gonna fall, right Like, it wouldn't prive to me if Johnson's athleticism gets him taken in the top forty, where a team just goes, you know what, we're gonna bet on this guy ceiling and we're going to take him really high, or teams are going to watch the film and be like, this might be another two years before this guy's a starter. But that could benefit the Dolphins if he does fall to eighty four. And so you know, you look at the futures of Javon Holland, Brandon Jones and Elliott it gives you some flexibility, right, And so a player of Johnson's caliber, Again, you don't like to talk about special teams a lot of the time, but hey, really good athletes can play really good special teams. And so while he's developing as a future safety, and like you said, at the top team plays three safeties, so having safety depth is not the problem. So that would be a guy that I would target. And this corner class is incredibly deep. I could sit here and talk about it for hours.
Speaker 2: Well maybe we'll do that.
Speaker 4: I mean, you talk about special teams too, Like that's a great point, because you know, I thought last year, in addition to the attrition we talked about with the injuries of Dolphins dealt with really all year long. I mean, looking at the injury report Wednesday through Friday was just like, oh gosh, I mean, that's half the dang ross right there.
Speaker 2: It's half our starters on that list.
Speaker 4: But when you have that type of attrition, it doesn't just impact your offense and defense, it really gets into the special team because now you're pulling guys up and taking away there snaps on special teams. So having more guys that can do that is only going to benefit you in that third phase where games can be one and loss, so it's certainly valuable.
Speaker 2: I appreciate you mentioned that.
Speaker 4: I make a joke about in the podcast all the time that like, I should probably put more time into special teams scouting than I actually do. But it's just it's it's the unattractive of the three in terms of a fun highlights to watch and watching guys bust their butts and get down the field. You mentioned ragon Wright. Is he the same guy that was on Last Chance? To you?
Speaker 2: Do you happen to know?
Speaker 1: Oh, I don't know, top my head, but Oregan state right, Yes, he might have been.
Speaker 3: It sounds familiar.
Speaker 2: I think he was on.
Speaker 4: The on the the Woman they changed schools that last year, the last year they did the football episode or the football show and turned into basketball.
Speaker 2: I'm pretty sure he was part of that. Could be wrong, but a great show.
Speaker 3: Season five right here you go?
Speaker 4: Nice, I keep seeing that a I'm like, I'm pretty sure it's the same guy from that show, And what a cool story that is. I always like tracking those guys that make their way to the National Football League from that show because it's all about that, right, Like Last chance you. It's in the title right there, so really cool to see him to turn that opportunity into a potential pro career here coming up in just a few days when the draft kicks off just next week. Let's go ahead and take our last break right here and come back on the other side with Dante colinelly and wrap up this year's defensive backclass. The last propositional previews I ALWASO want to ask you about a former Temple Al. I'm pretty sure you worked in the Temple beat for a minute there, so we'll come back and talk about that here in just one second. That's next, Dante Colinelli, my guest, your host, Travis Wingfield. Draft Time podcast brought to you by Auto Nation. So Dante, I teased it in the end of the second segment before I ask you for your sleepers at the cornerback in safety position. Maybe you don't have those because you said he had so many high grades in these guys. I'm curious who might kick out to the third day, and we'll see if Miami moves off of picks and gets more picks early in day three, or if we do have to wait until round six for the first selection.
Speaker 2: But before I do that.
Speaker 4: We have a former Temple al in the building now and Chosen Anderson, formerly Robbie Anderson. Now, I know you didn't cover them during his playing career, but you do have some experience around the Temple al. So I have to ask you, what are the Dolphins getting Robbie Anderson, sorry, Chosen Anderson.
Speaker 1: Yeah, They're getting an interesting guy. Chosen's an interesting guys. He's an interesting personality. He's gonna be a fun ad I think to that, to that group of guys in that receiver room, I feel like that's got to be one of the more fun positional crews to kind of hang around with. And I think he'll add to that. You know, he's a he's a you know, a big time personality. I think on the field, what he was at Temple is what he still is now. I mean, he's just he's fast man. He can run and like that. The Dolphins love speed. Anderson's gonna give you more of that. I think one of the things that I got to learn about him during my time at Temple was just the connection that he was able to form, you know, with that staff when Matt Ruhle was there and kind of how they they were able to get the most out of him and get him to a point where he got drafted and has had a fairly successful NFL career with some peaks and valleys.
Speaker 3: But on the field, you're getting a speedster.
Speaker 1: Off the field, you're getting a guy, another big personality to that room.
Speaker 2: To say the least, Yeah, to say the least is right. And you mentioned the speed.
Speaker 4: I mean, I keep thinking about that, and there's options in the draft, like at the running back position with all these fast backs there are. I mean, I keep thinking about how his speed on the perimeter could open up even more space in the middle, which is crazy to think about. For Tyreek and Jalen to work in that area of the field where they just went to work all year last year and put up over three thousand yards combined as a tandem here in Miami.
Speaker 2: Really fun to watch that.
Speaker 4: And just keep that in depth, to keep that in speed and what more do you want this Mike McDaniel offense.
Speaker 2: Before I get you out of here, though, let's.
Speaker 4: Talk about some potential Day three defensive back options. I know it's going deep into the roll decks. I know you're a busy man. I appreciate you dropping some names here on us. What you got cornerbacks and safeties on Day three that you like. So the first guy who comes to mind is J. L. Skinner from Boise State.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's just fun as hell like, and that's kind of where I go on Day three. It's just like, all right, like I'm gonna watch some fun players, Like is he the most athletic guy in the world. Is he the best coverage guy in the world. No, but he's downhill, he's physical. I think he's smart. I kind of view him as like a sub package player. I don't know that you want him on the field you know, all the time, but can really really help you in the run game.
Speaker 3: He's tough, he's big.
Speaker 1: If you can develop him as a man coverage player, I think he can kind of be that third safety for you in the future, right as far as you know bring him on the field in certain sub packages.
Speaker 3: Corner is a little bit tougher.
Speaker 1: I'll name ke Trol Clark from Louisville just because he's one of the most recent guys that I watched. I gave a Day three grade too that I really liked. Just a really, really hard nose probably a slot guy, but I like the way that he plays.
Speaker 3: He's physical, he's tough, he's smart. You know.
Speaker 1: I think you've you've got to see him play a little bit of outside corner at Louisville, some inside as well at the slot.
Speaker 3: I liked him at both spots.
Speaker 1: I think he probably plays slot though in the NFL, but hey, slots are starters now, and so I don't know that that should really attract too much from his value. So those would be the two guys that I would point out really really like their game, just as like gamers. I think those guys they're going to stick on a roster. They're going to find their way, whether that's special teams or sub packages, whatever it'd be. I'd be surprised if they don't stick around for a while.
Speaker 4: That play style in temperment you mentioned it. You talked about subpackaging and special teams. It translates perfectly to run downhill on kickoff or on a plunt and going and making a tackle, which every team needs.
Speaker 2: It gets overlooked every year.
Speaker 4: That's why you watch all seven rounds of the draft and find out how your team gets built, because all fifty three guys matter. And it means all ninety guys matter going into training camps. Really cool, Dante, Again, I kind of I glossed over this, so I was going to tell you off the air, but I'll tell you right now when you speak, man, you remind me of Ben Solac.
Speaker 2: I know, I know you know who Ben Solac is.
Speaker 4: I was looking at your Twitter bile here you went to Temple, which means you're a Philly guy, so that makes perfect sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, no, Ben, Ben, Ben is awesome. Man. I've been following Ben for a really, really long time.
Speaker 1: That's one of the highest compliments that you could give me.
Speaker 3: Frankly, so well appreciate that you guys.
Speaker 4: Could be identical twins too. Looking at you here on the Zoom call. So you got during a good company there with Ben. He's one of my favorite people that have in the podcast here. And I'll have to get you back into the rotation here more, man, because you something here on the podcast today. Dante Colinelly at Dante Colinelly on Twitter. He's at the thirty third team right now. Really cool stuff. They're working with Mike Tannebaum and the crew and they keep adding talent there. So you're in good company. Dante Dolphins writer at Fan Nation and Dolphins talking like I mentioned a Temple grad. This is your chance right now, Dante, to promote what you're working on. What you what you got coming up? I know the drafts just a week away, so I'm sure you're in that mold. But what are you right and what are you talking about in podcasts? Go ahead and tell people they can find you. Yeah, so you can check us out thirty thirteen dot com. You won't see my byline on that site, but I do a ton of the legwork on those stories and getting you the best possible content from NFL Hall of famers.
Speaker 3: Man, it's a ton of fun, you know.
Speaker 1: We get content from Bill Polly and Mike Martz, a ton of really fun guys.
Speaker 3: So check that out.
Speaker 1: We're gonna do a lot of really cool stuff around the draft. I'm really excited about me personally. I'm writing scouting reports up on Fan Nation Dolphins and so check us out. We're doing a lot of really cool stuff right now. I just had a couple of scouting reports drop over the weekend. So if you're in draft person, if you're a Dolphins person, you can find my stuff there guy.
Speaker 4: From Philly, big Dolphins fans, just further proving the Dolphins fans are everywhere.
Speaker 2: We are everywhere.
Speaker 4: There's dozens of us, right, We're all across the country, not just down here in South Forida.
Speaker 2: I'm a good example.
Speaker 4: I came from the furthest place in the continental United States to come down here and work for my childhood team. So Dante, appreciate your stuff, man, good stuff as always. In that, We'll talk to you soon, my friend, thanks for having me, and so away he goes really fun chat there with Dante, and that wraps up the previews, well kind of. We're gonna have Kyle Krabs on to do a two part extravaganza. That's our annual draft preview we do every single year. We're gonn to hear from Chris Greer and Marvin Allen later on this week as well. I'm going to talk about some of the guys I've been really looking at and having a fun time watching on tape in this year's draft class.
Speaker 2: Plus Jordan Reed joins us.
Speaker 4: I should say it's not the last position for previous because we are going to do quarterbacks, even though it's gonna be more NFL centric with Jordan Reid from ESPN.
Speaker 2: Plenty of content coming with the.
Speaker 4: Next couple of weeks where you're going to be really front to back, I think over the next two weeks with episodes pretty much every single day covering draft and really the NFL Draft and more NFL Draft, So.
Speaker 2: Stay tuned for that. In the meantime, it's gonna be my time you all.
Speaker 4: Please be sure to subscribe to the podcast on Apple Podcasts, leave us a rating, and leave us a review. You can follow me on Twitter at Wingfold NFL. Follow the team at Miami Dolphins. Check out the fish Tank podcast with my guys Seth and Juice. Check out the team YouTube channel for Dolphins Today, Media Availabilities, all that fun stuff and much more, and last but not least, Miami Dolphins dot Com. Until next time, fins up Caroline and Cameron, Daddy's coming Hold