Speaker 1: To be fair, much like a black man in a dress. I think about movie of me raising a white family would be hilarious. Your life, you're just thinking about it.
Speaker 2: I love it like baby again.
Speaker 1: Come on, man, that's that's a classic. Sorry half written doesn't like chips in your quals? Are racists money turkey stuff? I can't tell me.
Speaker 3: Knock if you who buck bitch?
Speaker 1: There it is, there it is.
Speaker 2: Ladies and gentlemen, Welcome to another phenomenal episode of My Mama Told Me.
Speaker 1: The podcast. It dives deep into the pockets of black conspiracy theories.
Speaker 2: And we finally work to prove that we only know the name Christmas Addicts because of white people's unquenchable thirst for black death. That nigga did nothing in the Revolutionary War.
Speaker 4: He didn't contribute one bit, and for some fucking reason, they keep putting him in our history books. There's no reason for us to know the first man who died in a war.
Speaker 3: They don't do that for any other war.
Speaker 2: There's not another fucking war where you know the first dude who died. But for some reason, the nigga that does in the Revolutionary War, they decide they gotta tell every goddamn body. If that's not a conspiracy, I.
Speaker 1: Don't know what is? What about World War One?
Speaker 3: World War one? That German chan and slur motherfucker.
Speaker 1: Or Archduke Ferdinand or whatever. Yeah, we barely know him. Do you know Christmas addicts better than him?
Speaker 2: You know, Christmas addicts way better. You don't even know what the Archduke looks like.
Speaker 1: Not at all. And I've seen so many drunks. He's always drawn.
Speaker 2: Yeah they didn't, but they got pictures of Christmas ass on the ground, bloody.
Speaker 1: White people pointing like, yeah, he dead. Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 2: They love that Christmas And what the fuck is a Christmas? I hate that they do this to us.
Speaker 1: That is a made up fucking name.
Speaker 2: Come on, man, I'm Lanston Kerman and I'm furious.
Speaker 1: I'm David Boy, and I'm equally upset. We have.
Speaker 2: We have a phenomenal guest here today who I hope is equally enraged as as the two of us. He better come in hot.
Speaker 1: We don't.
Speaker 2: We don't play that ship if he's a Christmas Addicts apologizer.
Speaker 1: But he is.
Speaker 2: He's a phenomenal comedian.
Speaker 1: He's hilarious.
Speaker 2: You know him from from all kinds of work, most of which were not allowed to promote anymore because of dual strikes that are happening. But most importantly, you know him from when It's Happening Saturday Night Live. He's a cast member on that show. He's hilarious. Please give it up for Devin Walker.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I didn't know if I was supposed to pop in.
Speaker 6: But also, like Christmas Addicts, he is high schools named after him.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying, that's crazy, Like, how do you even justify that to like, is there a naming commission? I don't know. I don't know how you name him high school?
Speaker 2: Ain't no Archduke Ferdinand high School?
Speaker 1: It would make more sense because like, why does he get a school? What Chrispy Dude? That means that makes me feel like I could get a school David by David Borrie elementary is high school? Don't do that to me. I know you small like we're dreaming and we're dreaming. We're dreaming.
Speaker 5: I feel like I feel like you could get a building in like a performing arts academy.
Speaker 6: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I think I could. I think it makes it sounds like the school, Like yeah, I used to play full back at Bory. That sounds that does sound good? YEA, Yeah, I'm gonna be honest. I don't think.
Speaker 2: I don't think Kerman is ever gonna have a nice to it. Yeah, and I'm a big fan. I like me, but but I just don't nobody's gonna be like, yeah, it was a hooping at Kerman and that sounds icky.
Speaker 1: Really, I think I could hear it. I hear it too.
Speaker 2: Maybe I gotta maybe I gotta do some self reflection. Maybe there's some self matrid inside of this that I gotta.
Speaker 1: It was like a nice sounding name. Damn.
Speaker 6: The high school I went to was called Flugerville High School.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what did he die?
Speaker 5: He was like the guy who created the town that I grew up in, like the town love. I grew up in a town outside of Austin called Fluerville, Texas.
Speaker 2: Fuck, So you just had a local, a local man high school.
Speaker 1: I don't think that's I don't think that's that's the man founded a town. That's a big thing to do.
Speaker 2: I think that's Nah, you're playing This is grossing me out.
Speaker 1: I don't like it. What did Christmas do? Nothing?
Speaker 3: And that's my point. Just let the man be dead.
Speaker 2: Stop writing about him and telling everybody he got beat up.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I bet his cousins and like brothers and sisters hated it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: The Addicts family is not happy about what's happening here.
Speaker 1: Devin.
Speaker 2: You you you came to us with a conspiracy theory that uh oh oh oh.
Speaker 1: What is this?
Speaker 2: We have Christmas Addicts updates. That that is Christmas Addicts High School. That's right, only one person barely in frame. This is rough the varsity.
Speaker 5: Sports at the at the bottom, it says a storied legacy, Our legacy of serving African American students in Indianapolis continues today.
Speaker 1: God damn. So it's basically like just go here and you're gonna die.
Speaker 2: That's my other problem with Christmas Attics High School is that it never is in service of white children.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean, Like.
Speaker 2: They never you never send your white child to Christmas Atticts High School because y'all know that's fucked up. You know that's not a brand you want to attach yourself to.
Speaker 1: He was a loser.
Speaker 3: Just let him be a loser.
Speaker 2: He got shot.
Speaker 1: I only want people to talk about it if I go out.
Speaker 2: Cool, come on, man and doing no cool neo kicks.
Speaker 1: He just got shot. He probably didn't even have like a spin just started. You probably even know it was coming. I bet he thought it wasn't gonna happen. They're gonna shoot me.
Speaker 2: And then they saw that line of white men in blue suits and one nigga and they were like shoot him.
Speaker 3: And nobody and.
Speaker 1: He is so alone. Nobody even went, oh, no Christmas. They yeah, you know, they're like, oh, monkey Jim. Now, who's gonna dance after something? Who's gonna play the spoons?
Speaker 6: I love so much this podcast on Will Ferrell's network.
Speaker 1: That's okay. I don't think he listens. Impossible, I really this quarter along ago, Yeah, I don't think he's checking in.
Speaker 2: I think he'd be a little worried about what was happening on.
Speaker 1: This side of town. Well basically saying that in his name.
Speaker 2: At the end of every episode, we say praise Will Ferrell.
Speaker 1: The views and opinions expressed by this podcast do reflect Will Ferrey almost exclusive. Yeah, where do you think we got it? Devin?
Speaker 2: You came to us with a conspiracy theory that has zero to do with Christmas addicts, But I will say is a conspiracy we've we've touched on in the podcast, but I was surprised to find out we had not fully unpacked, and so this is an exciting day where we get to do a pretty classic, I would say, conspiracy theory. You said, my mama told me black man have to wear a dress in order to succeed him.
Speaker 5: Hollywood, how is my man supposed to schmeet his meet with this ship?
Speaker 1: Bro? What the to jump in?
Speaker 2: Whenever you process whatever that was.
Speaker 1: Come from any direction.
Speaker 6: I really wasn't ready for that.
Speaker 5: I thought, I really thought you were gonna pull like a quote from Kat Williams, I really.
Speaker 1: Wasn't that would be a traditional round exactly. You hit me.
Speaker 6: You hit me with a spin move. That's what Christmas addict should I had but.
Speaker 1: A dunk.
Speaker 6: But yeah, I mean I feel like I was surprised.
Speaker 5: I was like, That's why I submitted a couple because I would have I figured y'all probably would have done this one already. But it's definitely a thing that I grew up here about, and it's the thing that like I was literally I was in Houston this weekend and I took a Huber to the airport and the guy was like, oh, we brought you to Houston. I was like, oh, I was doing shows. I do stand up and he was just like, they get that dress on you yet, don't let them do it.
Speaker 1: Yet.
Speaker 6: Damn he said, he said, he said, it's coming.
Speaker 5: And so like that is the thing that I've always especially like my mom told me this when I was young, but like, especially like the older I get and the more the further I get in comedy, that keep being like it's on his way, that dress, the dress coming for you dog, you know, And they always they always got like a video reference. They always got like Chappelle talking about it or like all these guys have like real theories on it, and it's.
Speaker 2: And when you say they is the I know you said your mom is apparently one of the sources. But but is this a mostly family? Is this friends? Is this broadened out to your larger Texas community?
Speaker 6: Like?
Speaker 1: Where is this coming from?
Speaker 6: This is mostly strangers, That's who it's mostly. It's mostly people that I've never spoken to before in my life.
Speaker 1: Yeah or after?
Speaker 6: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 5: And that like one time, the first the first TV money I ever got, I went and bought a bunch of gold teeth that was like the first thing that I did.
Speaker 2: Good for you, young man.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, really with before I before I figured out my health insurance, I went to go buy gold teeth from from this from this woman named Helen, and she's like, yeah, this is this stud woman who makes gold teeth and like a were like a warehouse, like a upstairs like a warehouse.
Speaker 1: And wait, so she's gay. Yeah, oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: She's gay and also warning you of the emasculation of the black man.
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 6: She was really concerned about it.
Speaker 5: She's a stud though, you're right, which is like its own kind of separate Yeah, you know, it's its own kind of separate category.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're familiar with a few.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've been bullied by a few.
Speaker 6: But yeah, she was really just going in.
Speaker 5: She was really just she was just like you know, she she was like, look, I see you doing good, but like I know, you probably want to get to that top level and you know what they're about to make you do.
Speaker 1: Don't let them do it.
Speaker 6: And it's like, I don't with y'all.
Speaker 1: Would y'all ever do it?
Speaker 2: Okay, we're going to get here this fast.
Speaker 1: But I was worried. I was worried about this this.
Speaker 2: Morning, Bory, Do you want to start? Do you want to answer for yourself first?
Speaker 1: It's so complicated. I'm feeling the same way because it's like, you know, people got uncles, you know what I mean? Mm hmmm, uh. It's hard, right because I don't think I don't think there's anything inherently shameful about dressing up like a woman, Like I don't think it's that bad, but I do also part of me want part of me does worry that it would be this thing of like an idea of relinquishing some control. So do I think I would do it? Ultimately? I don't think so, But I'm also I don't think I would. But I'm also like, that's far outside of how my humor. I'm not like a I don't even dress I wouldn't me wearing a crazy costume is also something I really wouldn't be. It's, you know what I'm saying, Like, silly is not really my stick anyways, so it would be it would be pretty out of character, and like it would also be out of character for me to dress up like anything. You know what I'm saying, Right, You're.
Speaker 2: Not You're not a part of the dress up gang. You ain't You ain't doing.
Speaker 1: I look wild physically anyways. You don't even put a T shirt on?
Speaker 3: My man, he got me.
Speaker 1: That's funny. I gotta be to be taken I'm you know what I mean. I'm trying to be taken to like I'm a weird looking guy anyway. So it's like, no, I don't want to I wouldn't dress up in a chicken suit either. Yeah, I get that.
Speaker 2: I put a chicken suit on. Yeah, funny to me dress me like chicken any day of the week. I Daddy's in I will say that I feel the same struggle inside of this, of both. There's a part of me that wants to be able to do it just out of like rejection of all the sort of homophobic roots inside of this argument.
Speaker 1: I want to be free.
Speaker 2: I don't want to sort of be beholden to a bunch of problematic perspectives inside of all of these things I do and my heart of heart believe that some of the intention of it, though, is coming from a malicious place, right that like the the want to see black men in dresses, is not coming from a place of gender equality and sort of sexual openness. It truly is just looking at silly niggas over there in dresses, and so.
Speaker 1: Yes, you.
Speaker 2: And and I don't want that to happen either, and so I'm torn and I should admit and I will admit that that I want.
Speaker 3: For a live show, for a live show.
Speaker 1: Uh does that make a difference, I don't know. But it felt important.
Speaker 2: It felt important to me.
Speaker 1: That's how I'm going to frame it.
Speaker 6: This was not pre recorded.
Speaker 1: Just man, this was.
Speaker 2: Not recorded, and there's no evidence of it except maybe one picture. But for a live show, I dressed up as Sylvia Plath because we had to like dress up as an author and do like funny like made up readings of their ship. So I dressed up as Sylvia Plath and had a wig and a dress and an oven in my hands.
Speaker 1: Hilarious, I was hoping you yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like a tiny easy bag oven that I was carrying around, because you know, that's how.
Speaker 1: She killed herself. I used to have a joke about that.
Speaker 2: About her blowing or melting her head.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, early days. I feel like you didn't answer straight up though, what'd you do it today? Current?
Speaker 2: I think in my current, in my current, today, I was my instinct is no because of the so many of the associations. But my want is to get to a place where yes, I can do it without feeling trapped inside of all the bullshit around it.
Speaker 5: I think I land kind of on that side of it, right because it's like because it's like I actually don't care. I actually I really care about wearing a dress like I would honestly.
Speaker 6: It is funny, like.
Speaker 1: You know, have you seen Man.
Speaker 5: Johanna Man and White Chicks came out when I was like eleven years old, and it's just.
Speaker 6: Like, yeah, those that ship was huge.
Speaker 5: So it's like I actually don't feel any opposition to it, but I just know how much like I know that in the event that I were to put on a dress somehow, that would end up being.
Speaker 1: A huge hit.
Speaker 6: And then I'd have and then every African uber driver that I came across, and now he's looking at me wild.
Speaker 1: You know how I'm feeling, you would look you would look funny as a lady, And that's the issue. I know.
Speaker 6: I know I'd be a big ass lady.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, you.
Speaker 5: Know, I'm a six foot three lady. And then I'm doing any stuff I'm wearing a cart.
Speaker 1: That's you know, like our linebacker.
Speaker 2: That's funny.
Speaker 6: There's already something there to it, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: And it's like, but yeah, I just I got I got, I got uncles and cousins and a brother that like, it's not even that I really care so much about what they think.
Speaker 6: It's just like I don't want to have to keep talking to them about it.
Speaker 5: You know what I'm saying, it's gonna be it's gonna come up so much that I feel like it's gonna fuck my life up.
Speaker 2: I just want to keep going to the barber shop and you know, things more complicated that I don't even I don't I don't even talk at the barbershop. I kind of like, you know, I ain't one of them that be chiming in and riffing and all this ship. I keep to myself. I just let them do what they're doing. And I want to be able to stay quietly an observer inside of this toxic space. I don't need to become the subject of the haircuts.
Speaker 1: Because they're already looking at me funny, because like I put out this video and the Nuggets one and like, what did you do? Did I didn't think it was crazy. I was watching it and then I put the video out and I guess the way that the noise that I made, Uh Like so like I can't, I can't. I can't also put a dress on?
Speaker 6: What what noise did you make? Video?
Speaker 1: Can you do that? If you buy it? If you buy tickets to one of our live shows, I'm playing for you the video I gotta. I didn't think it was that bad. He but like what you know, because when they're telling it, like he's telling it to other people in there and he's like, oh you was like like, like I mooted and that's not what happened. Hold on, yo, let's go. This is longer than I remember, so you know, I got a little carry it away. But just to say I can't I can't also wear a dress it that's so funny.
Speaker 2: That's that's so much homophobia that they were crew that on a celebratory day in in in Denver, they were like this niggas gay.
Speaker 1: One of the best times in my life. I can't be excited.
Speaker 2: You can't just let a real, real reaction come out of your body. No, you still got to be a man posturing as a man, while you celebrate the happiest thing that's ever happened to you.
Speaker 1: And I don't think it was that bad. You guys think it was that bad.
Speaker 6: It wasn't.
Speaker 2: It didn't sound crazy to me, But in context of barber shop ship, it does like reving up to get you your back alone.
Speaker 1: Now, yeah, it's about to happen.
Speaker 3: It's about to happen.
Speaker 1: All right, that's not how it happened. That's that's that's always.
Speaker 6: Like, you know, you know what.
Speaker 5: The thing about these those kind of environments too, is like you know, we're all like men who live in like city, like we don't care, Like I don't care, Like it's like you guys can call me gay if you want, But then it's like I don't think I care. But then as soon as people start saying shit like that, like they started doing that at the barbershop, I know I would turn on them.
Speaker 6: I mean I ain't really nah, I mean what you mean, Like, I'm.
Speaker 5: Like, I know I would go into that mode and and I'd be disappointed in myself because I'm better.
Speaker 2: No, I think we we don't care because we have created these sort of liberal bubbles for ourselves. But if you've spent any real time outside of these havens of sort of like uh of celebration and respect and whatever, it turns into a very different energy, Like it feels it feels crazy to try to stand up for what's right when you're put in circumstances where nobody else believes any of that shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then it makes your voice sound even higher, like actually, like nobody wants that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, it's it's rough, So it sounds like Devin inside of this. You are not a believer necessarily in the grander conspiracy, but you are sort of wary of the implications of the conspiracy in your own life, the sort of fallout that can come from it.
Speaker 5: That is a much more academic way of putting it than I could have, So I appreciate you saying it instead of me.
Speaker 2: I guess the best follow up question I have for that is, what do we do about this? Is this something that you feel like can be changed? Because niggas don't really wear dresses anymore, like besides like Instagram sort of like the the you know skit motherfuckers, like niggas and dresses ain't a thing on TV the way it used to be in part because of this constant barrage of homophobic uncles being like, don't let this happen to you. So like, do you think we can ever change that perspective?
Speaker 1: Uh? I don't.
Speaker 6: I think no, no, no, well.
Speaker 5: No, probably I wanted to be like, yeah, like you know, once the's once these old niggas get out the way, then like you know, the younger people will like be okay with But actually again, I was just I was just when I was in Houston.
Speaker 6: You know, I'm from Texas.
Speaker 5: I grew up there, and like I have a chunk where I just sort of talk about like some like loosely gay ideas, and it turned.
Speaker 6: The room in such a crazy.
Speaker 1: Way voting or something. It turned the room.
Speaker 6: In such a crazy way.
Speaker 5: I was like, I forget I'm from here, and I'd be forgetting about homophobia. I'll be forgetting about that is like much more the norm.
Speaker 1: Than like, you know a lot of dude that's their whole sense of humor.
Speaker 6: You know what I'm saying. So it's like, no, have.
Speaker 2: A sports show that is entirely dedicated to to almost talking about sports, but then getting distracted by the gay things that the other person said. If you've if you've never watched Cameron Sports Show, it literally is then being like, yo, he had a great game yesterday. Pause, and then the other dude being like, yo, you would be you were being crazy killing You can't say the nigga had a good game.
Speaker 1: You killing a good game is crazy. And they talk about like other things men have said that week. Did you see that it was like shack or somebody said something. It's like, I didn't know he said that. P fifty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're fifty for sure, fifty and one of them used to be a pastor kind of it's crazy.
Speaker 1: So so to.
Speaker 2: Your point, I don't know that there's healing on the other side of this bory. Do you feel differently? Do you feel like there's healing to be found somewhere?
Speaker 1: I think it's doable. I think that, Okay. I think it's like that's the way everything is pushing right is, like those are the boundaries that are getting pushed more than everything right now. I think like across the board, you know. So I do think that there's redemption for it. I also think some people are able to get away with it. Remember when bust of Rhymes wore a dress and that was cool, like nobody seemed to have any I don't know if it's because he's a giant Jamaican. I don't know how he got away with it, So I think there's like space for it.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, I feel like the whole late nineties bust of Rhymes was dressing like a geisha, and.
Speaker 6: That's true.
Speaker 1: No is that a fucking thing.
Speaker 5: I feel like Buster Rhymes and Andre three thousand have seemed to be immune from the rest of it, like they said, shield it off.
Speaker 6: Also, it feels like it's a different thing when a comedian does it.
Speaker 1: I feel like more I think, yeah, take issue with.
Speaker 2: I think some of it is is that those are genuinely weird motherfuckers, versus what it feels like when a comedian does it is a little more of this was put on you. This was this was asked of you by a power that be, Whereas like young Thug put on address because young Thug thought he looked pretty and who's gonna tell him otherwise he looked gorgeous and I wasn't gonna tell him he didn't either way.
Speaker 1: I also think about this with the comedian aspect. It's like that is like an old human trope of a man dressed as like. White guys do it too a lot. I mean, in general, no one's doing it anymore, but white comedians used to do it all. Missus Doubtfire was one of my favorite movies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, there's there's a.
Speaker 1: Show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there there's a there's a few great examples, iconic examples of white men doing it. I will say it doesn't feel quite as pervasive in the white community as it does in the black community. But maybe that's just because there are more of them and and there are less of us. So it's a numbers game.
Speaker 6: I mean yeah, because because when you when you really think about the black men in the dress thing, I feel like people really point to like four people, you know, it's like not really more of.
Speaker 1: The big black black dressmen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, who's the mount rushmore of Niggason dresses.
Speaker 1: That would get the important ship.
Speaker 6: I mean it's we got we got Martin Lawrence.
Speaker 1: Uh huh, oh yeah, big Mama's house.
Speaker 6: We got oh we have big Mama's house and on and he was what's her name on the show.
Speaker 1: No, what we should go to We should go to adbreak before we do this come back.
Speaker 2: So we'll leave a little cliffhanger here for everybody that's listening. We have Martin Lawrence as number one on the Mount Rushmore. But when we come back, we'll be back with more Devin Walker more, my mama told me, and we'll get the rest the three remaining Mount Rushmore contributors. Okay, yeah, dear listeners, It's Langston Kerman and it's David Bori and we are the hosts of a little podcast called My Mama Told Me. And more importantly, my Mama told me is going on tour. We're eating a bunch of phenomenal cities, and we want you to be there. Yes, come out and see us. August twenty fourth, Chicago, Illinois, Illinois. I don't know how to do it.
Speaker 1: August twenty sixth, New York, New York, and August twenty seventh and Pittsburgh, PA.
Speaker 2: We're gonna be telling jokes, We're gonna be playing games, we are going to be spreading salacious rumors, and we're gonna be accusing some of your favorite black people of being a part of the Illuminati. It's all gonna be phenomenal.
Speaker 1: You gotta be there.
Speaker 2: Buy your tickets now. I actually am one point four percent my Jerry and African.
Speaker 6: I'm a sister.
Speaker 1: Okay, we are back with Devin Walker, and he was about to give us his mouth rushmore of niggas and dresses comedic or otherwise, no, just comedic, right, yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I feel like so I feel like we gotta go. We gotta go Martin.
Speaker 5: Lawrence because he he was he was in Dragon on Martin and he's so many characters.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so he did that, then we gotta go, we gotta go. Jamie Fox, M.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Wanda was funny, was very funny.
Speaker 6: I would argue, it's always funny. That's that's I think the problem is.
Speaker 1: I think I think you're right, it's a pretty funny bit.
Speaker 2: And I think I think a bunch of white executives at the table also would make that argument.
Speaker 1: Jim Carrey also did it on that show.
Speaker 2: I don't remember that, and Jim Carrey ain't did it since, and I think that that's sort of the point, right. Jim Carrey was then allowed to go, you know, do a bunch of other things that did not involve the dress, whereas black men are sometimes positioned in a way where they have to keep themselves in the dress for the rest of their lives.
Speaker 1: What is that? How you feel about? What are you talking about? I don't I don't agree with that. I'm not saying I'm not saying it's my argument.
Speaker 2: I'm saying that that is the grander argument is like you become beholden to sort of like the wants of white expectations. And sometimes it's putting on a dress. Again, sometimes it's doing a fucked up movie. Sometimes it's just a movie where you got a date a white lady and you raise a white family, but you black, and you don't never acknowledge it. Like I think that's what the conspiracy theory is doing. Is to stay rich, you keep doing the white man's bidding, and the best way of showing you're willing to do his bidding is to put on a dress.
Speaker 5: Yeah, ship Like that always makes me think of that. I always think about the movie The blind Side. I think about that movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure, because.
Speaker 6: Like if you ever like the guy who they based it off of, like.
Speaker 5: In the in the movie, they make him look like he could barely talk.
Speaker 6: They make him look like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was just sure, just like a behemoth idiot. Yeah, they make.
Speaker 6: Him look like you couldn't talk or read or write or anything.
Speaker 5: This family like taught him, like they made it seem like he grew up in like a hut on the side of the streets and they and they like taught him how to like use a use a fork.
Speaker 2: Like they they're like, Michael, you got to button the shirt.
Speaker 1: You can't just put it off.
Speaker 6: And I just I feel like the verse of that, just a black family adopting a stupid ass white kid, would be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everything, But I don't have any suntand lotions. That's it's deem minute seam right there. That's a lesson for both of us. And I take him back to his mom, like what's he all right? I don't know the voice. That's how they get.
Speaker 2: So, so okay, we we have Martin Lawrence, we have a fox.
Speaker 6: YEP, we gotta we gotta go. Wayne's brothers.
Speaker 2: Wow are they holding a single spot? So they are?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, they're they're they're se.
Speaker 6: Marlin or a duo. Their package And the guy who did you wanta man doesn't feel like the right, that's not.
Speaker 1: He's done it in other movies. He's yeah, yeah.
Speaker 6: It kind of breaks the theory because like he didn't become like a big star. He didn't become He didn't know you know what I'm saying, Like he has some swing.
Speaker 1: I mean I knew his name off the rip, Yeah, but we didn't all know it.
Speaker 6: I remember that once you said it. Once you said it, I was.
Speaker 1: Like, ah, yeah, that was his name, because it wasn't. He wasn't. He wasn't in dragging that movie life. But he was very feminine in life. Yeah he was.
Speaker 2: He was queer in life, and part of the reason he wasn't in drag was and I think he does actually dress up in drag when the Yeah, they they have that day where they get to like invite guests and sort of have like a sexy time and in the nightclub. You're right, and the dream dream in about uh the coke what was it, the coco cocoa room or room.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, he he does wear drag in life. I think multiple times.
Speaker 6: I don't know, is there any big one? Is there any big one I'm missing? I feel like those are the big nineties.
Speaker 1: I think Eddie Murphy feels like a glaring miss. Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: Listing Eddie Murphy as professor is almost exclus.
Speaker 1: And he was norbit.
Speaker 2: He he also does quite a bit of drag, and I think he's sn l. He did a few characters where, if I'm not mistaken, where he did drag. He's done it a lot.
Speaker 1: He ain't he ain't missed no no turns in it.
Speaker 6: And he became and he was a giant, giant star.
Speaker 1: So it's like, yeah, the biggest, i'd say, the best to ever do it in a dress. Yeah, I put him on one.
Speaker 2: He's a hundred Yeah, yea does And then and we'll get into the research in a second. But does fat suit Negate the dress?
Speaker 1: I don't think it does. Okay, I kind of think it does well. But like when Tyler Perry dresses his media, Oh my god, what we how do we that?
Speaker 2: Because the nigga ain't funny to me? But I think that's why I didn't listen. He made me laugh once I.
Speaker 1: Go, I go soft on Tyler Perry. He's got me a couple of times.
Speaker 6: Look, they used to they used to make us watch those plays after.
Speaker 1: Church, So like I basically like Church again.
Speaker 5: Yeah exactly, So like I have I have fond memories as as a kid of watching the plays, specifically, thank you, I was trying to tell Likeston.
Speaker 1: That if they were that bad.
Speaker 2: Na like they're there, you guys are mistaken. And we just rewatched Diary of a Mad Black Woman as for the podcast, and neither one of us enjoyed that experience.
Speaker 5: So I feel like you would appreciate Tyler Perry just because he's a He's a champion of a light skin man.
Speaker 6: You know what I'm saying, Listen as.
Speaker 5: The knights and shining armor. In most of his films, it's a wrong and then a beautiful light skin nigga. Michael Eally might have been one of them. That could be you, bro. You better look. Hey, hey, mister Perry, if you listen, les don't mean what he's saying. You don't mean what he's saying, Devin.
Speaker 1: Let me be clear. Let me be clear.
Speaker 2: The fact that Tyler Perry is listening facts in his film sometimes does not.
Speaker 5: Does not.
Speaker 2: Change my issues with the quality of the films he's made. I'll I skin people the heroes in the story. Absolutely, we are. Absolutely we are objectively that is trip. But does that make Tyler Perry a good filmmaker.
Speaker 1: It does not. It just means that sometimes sometimes the man is right.
Speaker 2: Oh, dear listeners, It's Langston Kerman and it's David Borie and we are the hosts of a little podcast called My Mama Told Me, and more importantly, My Mama Told Me is going on tour. We're eating a bunch of phenomenal cities, and we want you to be there.
Speaker 1: Yes, come out and see us. August twenty fourth, Chicago, Illinois, Illinois. I don't know how to do it. August twenty sixth, New York, New York. And August twenty seventh and Pittsburgh, PA.
Speaker 2: We're gonna be telling jokes, we're gonna be playing games, we are going to be spreading salacious rumors, and we're gonna be accusing some of your favorite black people of being a part of the illuminati. It's all gonna be phenomenal. You gotta be there. Buy your tickets now. I did a little bit of research on your conspiracy that I'd love to unpack with you. The most articulated, i would say, most iconic breakdown of this conspiracy theory comes from that two thousand and six interview that Dave Chappelle does on Oprah where he explains his refusal to wear a dress on set of Blue Streak that basically they didn't beat it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, weird, that's that's what.
Speaker 2: And that's part of his argument inside of this thing is that like he showed up one day on set, he'd been doing very well on the film, having a good time, and then there's a dress in his dressing room and he goes, hey, what's this for? And they go, oh, Dave, we have this really funny scene we just added. We think it'd be hilarious if when Martin's breaking out of the jail, he disguises or he hides behind you who is dressed as a prostitute in using his words sex worker, and basically says like this is the bit, so put on the dress. We're gonna shoot that, and Dave goes, no, I'm not comfortable with that, and then producers get called in, then the director gets called in. Dave's being told he's difficult and unwilling to play ball for a very funny scene, and ultimately he refuses, and then they immediately change the script back to a scene where he doesn't have to wear a dress, and it all is resolved in ten minutes. And so his argument is like, if it only took ten minutes. Then y'all already knew a different option for this. You just wanted to degrade me and lessen me as a black man.
Speaker 1: Do you think it's a black man thing or just like a not great sense of humor thing within that specific because we've all been in a position to get like network type notes where you're like, but this is stupid, you know what I'm saying, like like like, I this is a weird side to be on this. I guess I'm on their side.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you've always been on the producer side and the strike.
Speaker 1: Whoa whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa whoa. Hey, don't do that, No no, no, no, no no. And also you know travel begin America. Uh yeah, no, I but I do. I do think there is a case for that. There the idea that like they're just like not funny, and.
Speaker 2: That that is part of what Dave says in the interview is that he goes like the guy goes, this is a this is a funny bit. So many great comedians have done a bit like this, and he's like, well, if they've done it, then attack and we can write something better. And they go, you difficult, motherfucker. So it's hard to know, and I do air closer to the side of being like this is probably just hacky and just sort of lazy writing more than it is like intentionally trying to take down Dave Chappelle. That's or take power from Dave Chappelle.
Speaker 1: That said, I don't.
Speaker 2: Think, if I'm being honest, that I go, Oh, they didn't. They would have done that same thing to to whoever the white counterpart to Dave Chappelle is on a film by surprising him with a dress scene out of nowhere.
Speaker 6: Right, Like, they never put Michael Rappaport in the dress, Yes.
Speaker 2: And and that'd be funny probably, but they're not ever gonna try.
Speaker 1: Yeah they got Chris Rock.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they got Chris Rock. And in fact, I'm glad you brought that up because I made a list of who I know so far based off of various versions of Internet slewthing to have participated in wearing dresses. And it's worth noting that some of this came from a TikTok that I found that breaks down all of this conspiracy theory, and that TikTok page is also includes videos called things like transgenders Versus Real Women and my personal favorite Black China sold his soul to the Devil. So I think it's a pretty progressive bunch that's managing this account. But the list is pretty it's fucking crazy. There's Richard Pryor, Flip Wilson, Wesley Snipes, Ving Raims, Chris Tucker, Eddie Murphy, Martin Lawrence, miguel A Nunez, Tyler, Perry, Arsenio Hall, all of the Wayans Brothers, Kevin Thompson, Kel Mitchell, Nick, Nick Cannon, Jamie Fox, Brandon t Jackson, Terry Crews, Kid Cutting, Young Thug as slew of other musicians. The list sort of goes on from there, but but it is it is an impressive list.
Speaker 1: Patris O'Neill, Yeah, yeah, one, god, you.
Speaker 6: Know that would have you know, that would have been funny.
Speaker 1: Goddamn, he would be hilarious address objectively, they'd be so funny.
Speaker 5: And dress a Halloween episode of the Office from two thousand and seven where the guys from the warehouse all wear dresses.
Speaker 6: That's it's right, it's right, it's right there, it's it's already so funny.
Speaker 5: Goddamn, you would have wrapped the ship out of that, would have that that might have got I'm the Emmy for real.
Speaker 2: That would they would have made him, They would have made him serious regular if you put.
Speaker 6: But I look also look that list.
Speaker 5: You can't all those All black men wearing a dress are not created equal, you know what I'm saying, Like kind of like you was like Chris Rock wearing a dress on the Fresh Prints. It's very different than young Thug or like Kid Cutty wearing a dress. I will say, I'm a big I'm a big Kid Cutty fan. Did y'all see where you were the dress?
Speaker 1: Yeah? He looked like ship to me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was like it was weird, Like it was like I disagree with it on a like you you're somehow making this thing not cool, Like I get you're, like you think it's so cool that you're doing it that it kind of makes me not like it.
Speaker 6: That's the one that's the one that I minded the most.
Speaker 1: Weirdly, it bugged me. It was it felt too much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he wanted to wear a dress to prove a point whatever, but he just didn't good.
Speaker 1: No, I don't know. I don't think he chose to write dress for his body.
Speaker 2: No, he looked bad and it was like that weird homage to Kurt Cobain, and like all of it was just like you're you're doing too much ship at once, Bro, Just just sing your little, your little sad songs.
Speaker 1: I don't need none of this.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's that's that's the biggest problem I've actually had with a man in address is Kik cutting.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I don't think musicians should even be in this conversation.
Speaker 6: Exactly because I think it's just what about?
Speaker 1: What about?
Speaker 6: What about? Like like Russell Westbrook, Do you think he's Do you think he's involved in this conversation or do.
Speaker 1: You think that do you think I think but he is hilarious, he's very funny.
Speaker 2: I will say that he is who the barbershop points to now in a contemporary sense of this same conspiracy theory though, right that like, well, at least for years now less so now he's sort of aged out of like the shock and awe fashion and it's a little more like grounded in his fashion. But when he was in the height of his shock and awe fashion, they definitely were like that niggas being brainwashed by the powers that be whatever, whatever.
Speaker 5: It's all, it's Russell Westbrook and it's low No Sex. Old niggas a really hard time with low No Sex. They really can't handle him being.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you think it's because it's never been as blatant, is that like in the in the you know what I mean, Like like like the Rodeo video is like that's like that's like aggressive. I don't think that has been a ton of stuff in like main culture that people have seen like that from a black man.
Speaker 2: A black man demonstrating like queer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like they've been there, but it's never you don't you don't see it to that level.
Speaker 5: I don't think, right, Yeah, I guess that's true. He's the first like really big pop star.
Speaker 1: That is like a gay black man, right yeah, right right, And it's like expressed, you know, you know, like I feel like it would be like things you'd hear people say, but never like like the imagery like in the video and stuff like that. Yeah. No, Tevin camp bro Kevin.
Speaker 6: Last year, Kevin Kemble just came out like in like twenty twenty one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's had to work through a lot of ship before he got comfortable.
Speaker 1: Being Like I think I like men and we knew it. Come on, Tevin, you were tricking anybody.
Speaker 2: No, but when when we found out for real, like not when he announced it, but when we found out, the industry turned on him hard in a way that I don't think he ever fully recovered from.
Speaker 1: Damn, really, I didn't. I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I would say that that at least my understanding, And some of this is coming from my mother, who who a fully unbiased source, but I I think my understanding was that Tevin Campbell sort of like when he was a cute kid and even as like a cool sexy adult was singing about women, we loved him. And then it became sort of a parent that he was queer, and the industry stopped fucking with him the same way that they used to like with them.
Speaker 1: They like, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 5: It's it's funny because like, by that theory, the industry kind of wants you to They want you to like seem gay on camera but not be gay in real life.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm about it, right? I mean that's where this song comes from, right, is It's like I feel like the men who were in dresses, I don't feel like what you hear is that they're gay. What they're what you're well, they're making them look gay, right, Yeah, yeah, I don't think people thought Eddie Murphy was gay. Well, I think, and there was there's other of that, there's other parts of that, but I hear you.
Speaker 2: Martin Lawrence was never being called gay. Martin Lawrence was said to have been a masculated for and brainwashed.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's a tough it's tough because, yeah, I don't know. Some of this does feel like it's obviously propaganda, it's obviously manipulative. But I do think some of the things that end up being greenlit or celebrated or treated with a reverence to your point, Devin, of like, Yo, the next time I'm in a car, I worry that my most famous thing is going to be this one off bit that I did. Is a real fear and and frankly is one that that you can't just ignore simply because you feel progressive as it relates to queer rights and visibility and all.
Speaker 1: Of that shit. I mean, I think, yeah, a hundred percent, that's why we all were all pretty progressive. Nobody was like hell yeah to dress on me like it's like you gotta yeah, you do have to worry about that.
Speaker 2: I read an NPR article about the same issue, and this was I think more of like a I guess, like an opinion piece, I dare say, But the author sort of references the black men in the Dress to a Carter G. Woodson book, The Miseducation of the Negro, And in the book, Woodson argues that when someone is repeatedly sent to the back door so often that they eventually don't even know need to be told to go to the front door or to the back door, that they will just naturally go to the back door because that is the place that they've been assigned. And he goes on to say that they are become so conditioned inside of this that when it comes to literally the back door, if you showed up to that same back door and the back door did not exist, you would try to cut a hole into the space where the back door did exist, rather than walking through the front. And he basically suggests that this is the type of brainwashing that comes from the types of people who choose the dress for themselves in comedy, that like an Eddie Murphy who made a movie where he wanted to wear the dress, is sort of conditioned as a sort of like sub inside of the white hierarchy.
Speaker 1: If that makes sense. I don't I understand the point that that's being made. I don't think I necessarily agree with that, because I think a lot of it. I think a lot of this also boils down to what how humor works and how people work with the humor that like vulnerability or being the other, whatever is humorous. That's like the state of comedy. Like I think there's a reason that that it's not like just a black like I said before, a lot a lot of people, a lot of humor is based as men dressing up what like women and vice versa. British people love that shit. They love that shit, love it. They just bec consilling. Look a bloke in a jumper. I don't know how dump. But the point is, like, I'll give a shit about you guys, but the but the point to me is that like I understand what they're saying, but that we do need to allow some space for the idea of this. Sh It's just funny, man, you know. It's like it is funny and it's funny to be vulnerable. And I think that that's where a lot of that comes from. Like if this is if it was just black men, I would have a bigger issue. But it's like it's like a tenet of humor. Dress it up like something you're not always it's.
Speaker 2: Funny and it also I think if if we could untether this from all of the homophobia and all of these sort of like mal intentioned perspectives that are connected to this that have nothing to do with you, you know what I mean. Like like at the root of it, address is not necessarily emasculation. Address is address, and you can be masculine inside of address. But our own homophobia, in years of conditioning, make us see it as a version of emasculation. And that's what makes us complicated. It's not it's not the dress itself that makes us weaker. It is our own sense of self that makes us weaker. And address just is our articulation of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree with that.
Speaker 5: That whoa, whoa, whoa.
Speaker 1: That's why I'm on the But you know what I mean, But would you say that you're not at all? No, Look, I'm a dog. He's as black as can be, you know what I mean. We all have the things that were good at on this podcast. We all contribute here. And my mama told me.
Speaker 2: So it sounds like we've all sort of landed this plane. We don't think that it's necessarily a legit conspiracy theory. We're not We're not firm believers that this is some deep Hollywood agenda to like transform the black man into an emasculated version of himself. That said, we ain't rushing to be at the front of the line when it comes to participating in the bit.
Speaker 1: And to be fair, I think there's also space for there to be times that it is that, you know, I mean, I think there is fully possible.
Speaker 2: I think both the both the weaponizing and the humor of it being funny and also dangerous on the other side.
Speaker 5: Right, I think that when we're allowed to write again, the three of us should all work on a remake, a reboot of BAPS.
Speaker 1: I think we should.
Speaker 5: I think that I think it should three and we should bring it to Universal Pictures. Let's let's get that off the ground. We're allowed to love it.
Speaker 1: So that also that white baby thing, come on me, Kiky Palmer, white baby one of those Dickey Channel freaks.
Speaker 2: I was like, okay, see you changed the story a little bit because it was you with a white family.
Speaker 1: But now it's you and Palmer raised a white baby. Yeah, you're pretty good. I think I could go either way. This is this is writers. You, we're pitching, we're pitching.
Speaker 6: And Timothy shallow Man just as yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then and then my caps is the grandpa.
Speaker 6: Right there.
Speaker 2: Come on, you're just teaching teaching Timothy shallow May to use a washcloth.
Speaker 1: And you can't out back smoking black and Miles. I make him smoke the whole pack.
Speaker 2: He gets real sick that smoking back of cigarettes.
Speaker 6: He's smoking with wood wood tip blacks.
Speaker 1: Yeah. By then he looks like et when he was away from home for too long. It's like, bro, we gotta get him out of here. This ain't This ain't a good house for him. Yeah, they're gonna call CPS. This is childhood, Devin. This was this is great.
Speaker 2: I think we did it because you tell the people where they can find you and and what cool shit you have going on.
Speaker 6: I'm on tour right now, so just find me. Find me online from my Instagram or Twitter whatever you can find on my tour info.
Speaker 5: I don't know when this is gonna be out, but I'm touring for like the next month, so come see a show.
Speaker 2: Hell yeah, and poor you want to tell the people where they can find you.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, I'm well. First of all, you can catch us on tour, because this comes out next week, you can catch us. We still got two more weeks on tour. You can come out and catch us. That'll be in Texas, Houston and Austin, and then the weekend after that New York and Pittsburgh and Chicago and Chicago and Chicago, and then I go on my own tour. Bring David aplate dot com. Just added a few dates Columbus, Cincinnati, some other stuff and that's my solo tour. Cool guy jokes eighty seven on Instagram.
Speaker 2: Hell yeah, and as always, you can follow me at Langston Herman and come to that goddamn my mama told me live tour. We we are very excited to see you in person. And more importantly, if you want to send us drops, if you want to send us your own conspiracies, if you want to send us pictures of white men in dresses who have benefited from from Hollywood's agenda, then send it all to my mama pod at gmail dot com. We would love to hear from you. That's about it.
Speaker 1: By bitch.
Speaker 6: Chips in your.
Speaker 5: Qualms race, the holds the player of ows and money, achs and turkey stuff.
Speaker 1: I can't tell me that