Speaker 1: Episode four thirty nine Frugal Friends book Club for self help books to read this fall.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Frugal Friends podcast, where you'll learn to save money, embrace simplicity and life. Here your hosts Jen and Jill.
Speaker 3: Hey friends.
Speaker 4: Jill here with a quick apology that the audio for this episode will not be to the highest standards we're all used to. We were testing our video setup and the audio files were corrupted in the process. We thought it wasn't worth recording, and hopefully the lower quality doesn't detract from all the frugal stuff we're about to discuss. Not to fear, we will get our audio back up to impeccable shape so you can hear every joke and every tip with clarity, and stay tuned for some of that video we're testing.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the Frugal Friends podcast. My name is Jen, my name is Jill, and today we are revisiting our book club. We are bringing it back and we are talking about four self help books. And these are not like self healthy, like woo.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Self help gets a bad rap, and honestly, I think it's a misunderstood genre and I think we have picked four books using our patented scientific method that will reclaim the genre.
Speaker 4: Are we sharing or patented scientific method yet? Or does that happen just before.
Speaker 3: Jump the guns?
Speaker 1: Okkay, let them wait, let them simmer.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm excited about this one because I'm actually in my reading era.
Speaker 1: She is.
Speaker 3: Y'all.
Speaker 1: If you have listened to any of our Frugal Friends book Club episodes before, you will sense a pattern between like who has read the books or any books at all, who's in the oldrem's bugs this song and this definitely is a This is an episode for Jill to celebrate Herreni era.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, more.
Speaker 4: On that in a bit, But first, this episode is brought to you by ten year old cleaning hacks, like people who are ten years old. It's not a personal favorite because having your parents show you how to clean the toilet, dust, wash the dishes just one more time, because you're still learning and you need to show.
Speaker 3: You need to be showing how it's done.
Speaker 4: Cut to you're not doing the work, You're just watching someone else do it. Kind of like putting your emergency fund into a HIGHLD savings account like they want at C offering four points six y five apy. It's the cleaning hack of money.
Speaker 3: You don't have to do anything.
Speaker 4: Just watch your money girl from myrefriendspodcast dot com slash cit Are those.
Speaker 1: Videos that you've watched or is just in your experience you've seen ten year old manipulate their parents.
Speaker 3: Oh this was my hack.
Speaker 4: Okay, chores that I had to do that I didn't want to do, so I would say, I don't know how to do them. Can you show me how? Am I going to learn? Unless I'm shown just one more time? I forget how to clean the toilet ball. True too, moms just cleaning the toilet bowl. Yeah, I still have to be present for it, but sometimes you can kind of like sneak away, you know, kind of like your yelled.
Speaker 3: The singings and help.
Speaker 1: You can just sneak away your money in there and sneak away.
Speaker 3: So true.
Speaker 4: You don't have to know how or why it works. Just push your money in it, let it go out.
Speaker 3: I manta be done for you, Okay.
Speaker 1: So Frugal Friends book Club is something we have done since the inception of the show. Since episode one, we have had a book club in some way, shape or form, and so we started doing these episodes maybe about like a year or so ago where we would just do three times year, four books that you can read throughout the year. So if you want to do one one month, cool, if not, whatever you do you. So, we have a couple other episodes we have and they all have a theme now. So we have episode three thirty four where we talk about four money psychology books that was last fall. We have three sixty six where we talk about four minimalism and simple living books. And you can find all of our books that we talk about on the book club at Frugal friendspodcast dot com slash books, so that if you go to just singular book you will find the resources page for our book Buy what you Love Without Going Brooke. But if you go to slash Books plural, then you'll get you'll go to the Amazon page that has every book that we've had in every episode of book Club. And so we're not going to mention our book today though we do believe so it lives in the personal finance shelves like business all of that, but truly, just like our podcast, we believe we're a lifestyle podcast that talks about money. We really believe that by What you Love Without Going Broke is a self help or lifestyle book that focuses in on how your lifestyle affects how you should spend money. So buy what you lovebook dot com. And that's all I'm gonna say about that. And someday it'll be on the reading list. Yes, you can actually get it in your hands come January.
Speaker 3: Yeah, do pre order.
Speaker 1: It helps us, it does so much, all right, So, Jill, why don't you tell the listeners about our scientific, patented method for choosing the four books that we present in every.
Speaker 4: So I've been using it for so long, it's never let us downe It is four things, something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue.
Speaker 3: And for those of you.
Speaker 4: Who've ever been married, you might have heard about this. That's how you have good luck on your wedding day. It works for weddings, it'll work for bum right, exactly.
Speaker 3: Science. We have to tweak it a little bit.
Speaker 4: It'll be something older than five years, something newer than one year, something borrowed from our listeners, Yes we did. Last minn't pull the audience and see.
Speaker 3: What you all had to recommend. And then something with a.
Speaker 1: Blue cover, super which in past has been hard to find. But there are three blue covers on this list today, so we did not have a problem finding well two there's two blue covers.
Speaker 4: Some of them check off multiple yes, but let's start with something old.
Speaker 1: Or sold, something older than five years. And our pick for this one is the Body keeps the Score. So this one is from twenty fifteen, so definitely hits. The mark has the blue cover but doesn't need to. But so our reasoning behind recommending this book is that trauma. It's about trauma, so brain, mind, body, and the healing of trauma and trauma is a fact of life. So people deal with trauma in all on all ends, like areas of the spectrum. You know, sometimes it's more extreme than others, like veterans and their families dealing with you know, combat, but sometimes it's less intense than that, but it can still be considered trauma.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: We don't want to like negate or diminut people's experiences. And even if you haven't experienced trauma, to be able to understand other people who maybe have can really make strengthening relationships or figuring out if you need to leave relationships like a lot easier. It's never going to be easy, and this theme of relationships is actually the theme you'll see running through our choices for self I say that in quotations self help books, it is a theme you'll see today. So yeah, that is our biggest reason for choosing the book. I have actually read this one.
Speaker 3: She's in her reading era.
Speaker 4: Well, this was this is one that was kind of required reading both in my master's program. I'm also an adjunct professor, and so this is one of the textbooks required within that program as well for some of the trauma courses that I teach. So it's a good one, like you said, Jen, for whether you've experienced trauma or you know people who have experienced trauma, which is essentially everyone. I think it gives some really good insight into how trauma reshapes both brain and body, how trauma is experienced in the body, some of the ways that.
Speaker 3: We can heal from trauma.
Speaker 4: And experience restoration, and it's just some really good tangible things as well, so not just explaining the science behind it, but then also some interventions that previously were lesser known.
Speaker 3: Although yes, this book is.
Speaker 4: Now older than five years and so some of this research has now become more mainstream knowledge. But it's an excellent well written book. Highly recommend it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it talks about some of the things that we talked about and buy what you love about change your coping mechanisms, right like, so they talk about how sports and drama and yoga can offer these new paths, and we're coming These are now like not breakthrough ideas for the study of trauma, but they're not as talked about when you're talking about how do I reshape the way I think about spending money? So some of these things you can take because a lot, I mean a lot of people will have trauma even around money, like whether it's with their parents, bankruptcy, debt, all kinds of things, financial infidelity. So there's so much of this that can also be translated into things that will help you with your spending. I always have to like bring it back a little bit just because I think that you can relate everything back to money in some way.
Speaker 3: But yes, this is a.
Speaker 1: Foundational book I think for anybody who wants to be able to know themselves and relate to other people better.
Speaker 4: Next category is something newer than one year. So the book that we're recommending for this category is Super Communicators, How to Unlock the Secret Language of connection. So the synopsis goes, Come inside a jury room as one juror leads a starkly divided room to consensus. Join a young CIA officer as he recruits a reluctant foreign agent, and sit with an accomplished surgeon as he tries and fails to convince yet another cancer patient to opt for the less risky course of treatment. In Super Communicators, Charles Douig and come pronouncing that lends deep research in his trademark storytelling skills to show how we can all learn to identify and leverage the hidden layers that work beneath every conversation. So what we believe is going to come across in this book. I have not read this have you read this one?
Speaker 1: But it is once So I have read The Power of Habit, his book on habits, and I really enjoyed it.
Speaker 3: I use it. We use it now more that one.
Speaker 1: More in the book than even Atomic Habits, because it's kind of more. It's a simplified version, and I think it's a little more relevant.
Speaker 3: But yeah, we'll use.
Speaker 1: Both Charles Duhens and James Clear's like versions of the habit loop a little interchangeably depending on what we're talking about.
Speaker 4: So speaking of relationships, I think understanding how to form connections. We've done an episode on making friends in your thirties and recognizing and hearing from other people that it can be harder as you enter into different life stages, and so being able to understand some of the ways that we form connections.
Speaker 3: With people what makes for good relationship, good community.
Speaker 4: And one of the things I like it stands out to me of this synopsis is the storytelling aspect, and I find that I like reading books that do have they tie in. Different characters are different ways to be able to connect. So this sounds like there's a lot of different kind of storylines that are happening throughout the book, each one being able to offer. Oh I didn't so much connect with the Cia one, but I'm connecting with, you know, the surgeon's story. And I think good books will kind of allow opportunities like that.
Speaker 3: Okay, you might not.
Speaker 4: Have driven home the concept here with this story, but let's try it in another example with another story that you might connect with that probably has to do with forming good connections. So he's probably even weaving his own tactics throughout the book, which is which is cool and who doesn't love a good story blended with the self help piece. I think sometimes self help can feel a little dry to me, but where you're able to weave in real life stories, that.
Speaker 3: Helps a lot to get through it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think making friends and building connections in your thirties, forties, fifties is so hard, and I think one of the biggest ways we can help ourselves is to help ourselves by make to make those connections with other people. And so while a lot of the stories are ways to communicate with people, to communicate your idea clearly, I think what we can take away in this book is the last line of the synopsis is doing wants to get across that with the right tools, we can connect with anyone.
Speaker 3: I think it's that.
Speaker 1: Connection piece, and especially like for me, I have a more like sometimes I'll have like a more analytical mind. I want frameworks and I want things to have formulas, just to be very laid out, and I think that some like people are not formulas, and so sometimes that can make it difficult to connect to people. So this obviously is not going to offer you a formula for connection, but it can offer you some some kind of like guideposts to kind of recognize what conversations are you lacking having, So they're saying like he says that there are three types of conversations practical, so what's this really about? Emotional? How do we feel? And social? Who are we? And so you maybe after reading this book and figuring out these guide posts, you may able be able to see which conversations you're lacking and having with people, and maybe that's something you need to either have more with the people in your life or find people that you can have those conversations with and kind of guide where you're investing your time. Like I've had a recent season over the last few years where I have been looking to connect with new groups and it's just been hard, Like the people, it just hasn't felt right. And have finally found a place after looking for like three years in the midst of a pandemic, like have found a group of people that I feel like I want to invest the time into pursuing and investing in. And so like not every group of people or person is worth investing in, not they are worthy in themselves, but like it's just not if you know, it's not going to be like a good connection. You know it's not going to be so once you like find those people, it can give you these guideposts to invest more fully into these people and see when people are not wanting to invest fully in you and move on. Our next book is something borrowed from our listeners. So every time we do one of these episodes, we will post a poll on our Instagram and our stories, not a poll like a question yeah, and ask you what are your recommendations for whatever the theme of book that we are doing. And so I haven't read this one. Have you read this one?
Speaker 5: Joe?
Speaker 3: No? No, it is.
Speaker 1: Four thousand weeks, which we just put this story up like a couple like ten hours ago, so we'll say it is the only recommendation we've seen.
Speaker 3: Well, there were more that came through.
Speaker 4: However, I will say there were a lot of votes for Atomic Habits, which they even said because we had recommended it in one of these episodes in the past. So ok, yeah, okay, you talked about Atomic Habits. It's been one of our book recommendations in previous episodes. You all listen, do you've read it? You really liked it, so you circle back and set Atomic Habits.
Speaker 3: I loved it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but we also want to try and introduce another recommendation from a listener.
Speaker 3: So this one sounded good to me, It.
Speaker 1: Really does, Okay, So the synopsis is drawing on the insights of both ancient and contemporary philosophers, psychologists, and spiritual leaders. Oliver Berkman, who's the author, delivers an entertaining, humorous, practical, and ultimately profound guide to time and time management. Rejecting the futile modern obsession with getting everything done, Four thousand Weeks introduces readers to tools for constructing a meaningful life by embracing finitude. I don't know if that I'm saying that right, Finitude showing that many of the unhelpful ways we've come to think about time aren't inescapable, unchanging truths, but choices we've made as individuals and as a society, and that we can do things different. And if that doesn't sound like an argument like that we have for values based spending like the one is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it sounds like a lot of mindsetly deeply cerebral. But one of the things it also mentions, I mean, the reason for the title four thousand weeks is if you live to about eighty years old. That's how many weeks you have to live. When you say it that way, it doesn't sound like that many. Sometimes life can feel so short, other times so long. Days drag out or they fly by, and it's it's a little bit daunting to measure life in that kind of way. But I think I appreciate perspectives like what I think this book is offering of how can we view the a lot of time that we've been given. Like you've said before, Jen, You've said often time is truly the only finite resource.
Speaker 3: That we have.
Speaker 4: Of course, you know money can feel limited at times, and natural resources are certainly limited, but our time especially, we can never get that back. And how can we then approach this in a way that is mindful of that reality, will also not becoming so depressed about that reality either.
Speaker 3: You know, that concept of like you never know how much more time you're going to be given.
Speaker 4: I think that could lead to an extreme of I'm just always trying to suck everything I can out of every single moment, and there's not a lot of longevity in that either. So I appreciate how it seems that this book is holding that tension the reality of the finiteness of the time we have with how can we embrace this?
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, well one of our I think we've talked about essentialism in the book club before. It's a very similar concept that we're not go Like our culture is so obsessed with hustle and getting the most out of every minute that when you rest, it's almost like I feel guilty for resting because I should be doing something productive. And even these like online business gurus that I like listen to for years, or like you know, you do your nine to five and then you do your five to nine, and if you've got downtime in the evening, like you're working on your business, and you know, if you are not doing that, then you don't want success bad enough. Like and it's just especially for women, Like men can maybe afford to do all this because they've got wives watching their children and making their dinner. But like, you know, like the other way, Like those are the people who are saying these things, they have someone helping them.
Speaker 3: And like, so I have just been on this journey.
Speaker 1: Of like rejecting hustle culture and taking time.
Speaker 3: To rest and really be like embracing it and.
Speaker 1: Realizing it it is an internal need my self fulfillment and my rest and my health. My internal health, I guess is internal, but like my mental health is in need. And so this I really believe would be that kind of mindset shift book to to really like get you on a new path. So this is very interesting to me. Yeah, I'm glad that somebody like recommended it does have blue on it, I will say.
Speaker 3: Wow, so well, speaking of something with a blue cover.
Speaker 4: Our fourth and final recommendation is Somehow Thoughts on Love by Anne Lamont. Her name came up a couple of times too in recommendations. I don't think this particular book, but yeah, that people recommend it so that she might be a familiar author to you all. So the synopsis is that the author explores the transformed of power that love has in our lives, how it surpast, surprises us, forces us to confront uncomfortable truths, reminds us of our humanity, and guides us forward.
Speaker 3: Love just won't be pinned down.
Speaker 4: It is in our very atmosphere and lies at the heart of who we are. We are, as Lament says, creatures of Love in every chapter of Somehow refracts all the colors of the spectrum. She explores the unexpected love for a partner later in life, the bruised and bruising love for a child who disappoints, maybe even frightens, the sustaining love among a group of sinners, wow for a community, and transition in the wider world. The lessons she underscores are that love enlightens as it educates, comforts and energizes, sustains as it surprises.
Speaker 1: Yes, so I picked so this was my pick for something newer because it is relatively recent. But then I also wanted to super communicators on here. But and Lamont, have you read this? I have not read this, but A Lamont's book Traveling Mercies truly changed my life in a pivotal season where things were really really difficult for me. So that was back in like two thousand and nine that I read that one, and since then I have been reading and LaMotte books. And She's gonna be honest. It's September of an election year, and it's time for us all to read a book about love so that we can strengthen our love muscles inside of us for the rest of the year. One of the greatest ways you can help yourself is to strengthen your love muscles. And I don't think that there is a better person, a more loving person to talk about love than a Lamott. She is just so wonderful. She is an angel among us. Wow, she really is. Yeah, I don't know much about her. Her name is familiar to me, but that's that's so great to hear. And what a good and timely encouragement. You're not gonna hear much.
Speaker 4: We like to keep our episodes ever green and for you all to be able to find a bit of a very focused maybe even bit of an escape here on this podcast, but we will encourage you towards strengthening love, strengthening your love.
Speaker 3: Where things are going nutty.
Speaker 4: Speaking of evergreen and love and the opposite of nutty, but maybe slightly unhinged.
Speaker 1: Well, before you get unhinged, we gotta wrap We gotta wrap up and restate the fourbook okay, and how they help you. How you can help yourself by reading each of the one. So the first one something something older than five years is the Body keeps a School Art and oh gosh, for doctor Bessel vander Kolk, by doctor Bessel vander Kolk. And this will help you maybe identify some of the smaller traumas in your life and understand how you operate, and also understand maybe the responses you're getting from other people, maybe the root cause of why that you got that response.
Speaker 4: We won't be able to move on and make significant changes in our behaviors and so we kind of understand what's going on on a deeper level. So then this would help with some of that deeper work that we've talked about in the past.
Speaker 1: Super Communicator Something Newer than one Year by Charles Dohog. This will help you have better conversations, more well rounded conversations, so when you find new people that you want to invest in that you can build stronger relationships faster. Because it's hard. We don't have a lot of time, so find some frameworks for how to communicate with people better, more well rounded. We've got something borrowed from our listeners four thousand Weeks by Oliver Berkman, and this will help you get out of the mindset of time management being all productivity, do everything for yourself, for your money, for your kids, do it all and just get out all the fluff and pretty much reset your mindset to know what's most important? What do I value most? I mean, if you're having trouble figuring that out, you'd have to read by what you love without going growth. So you find what you value, and then four thousand weeks will help you reset your mindset to prioritize that. And then our last something with a blue cover somehow thoughts on love by Anne Lamont will help you love bigger, greater, wider in this.
Speaker 4: Season, which I think leads to contentment, which helps us with how we approach finances and the decisions that we make around our finances. It can help to alleviate some stress and overwhelm, which stress and overwhelm can lead to not great well thought out intentional money decisions. So so much of when we work on various aspects of ourselves we can experience benefit.
Speaker 3: Then in these other areas, like our finances.
Speaker 1: All right, get on him speaking of benefits and helping yourself out.
Speaker 2: That's right, It's time for the best minute of your entire week. Maybe a baby was born and his name is Williams. Maybe you've paid off your mortgage. Maybe your car died and you're happy to not have to pay that bill anymore. Dust bills Buffalo Bills, Bill Clinton, this is the bill of the week.
Speaker 5: Hi Jed, Hi Jill. My name's Emily. I've been listening for about three ish years now, and my bill of the week is a soup sized Revere Wear pan. My mother found it for free and passed it along so that I have a soup pan and just really all of my Revere War pans were picked up by mom at various yard sales over the last twenty years in anticipation that her kids will move out of the house one day. There you have it, all of my pants secondhand and they work great. Have a great week.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, Revere Wear heritage cooker. I've never built for generations. I have never heard of this. Oh, I guess.
Speaker 4: It sounds like a good It looks fancy.
Speaker 1: Wow, it looks real, real nice.
Speaker 3: I love this.
Speaker 4: This is a very met at bill because your mom is already picking up these pots and pants at yard sales, so buying them used sending them on down to her children, being kind while also ushering you at the doors.
Speaker 3: An amazing bill. And pots and pants are expensive, and when you've got some good ones, and you got to get the good ones.
Speaker 4: And when you have someone curating and collecting them for you already and secondhand. That's amazing. Yeah, what what good stories with pots and pants? I I've got my own issues going on with pots and pans at the moment.
Speaker 3: My big.
Speaker 4: Star fry what would be the pan? Like good, it's your regular pan, your big old frying pan. That but one, that's the word I'm looking for. It keeps warping and Eric keeps kind of leveling it out, banging it with a mallet.
Speaker 3: Because that's what YouTube says to do.
Speaker 4: But oh it doesn't stay that way because it's probably not that quick.
Speaker 1: But it's not made any Revere Wear is not made anymore, and it's a highly collectible.
Speaker 3: Brand of cookwear.
Speaker 1: WHOA, So your mom really did it?
Speaker 3: She really touched it.
Speaker 1: Really congrass Emily.
Speaker 3: That's great.
Speaker 1: Have to buy, Yeah, you don't have to get your all plaid or your whatever whatever. We have quison art.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's what I have. I think it's.
Speaker 1: Catalon.
Speaker 3: That's that's what I have. I'm a canal. Yeah, I think I'm a quison art art. Yeah I say it.
Speaker 4: But anyways, you're you're having a dream though. I'm sharing your bill if you all listening. Have a bill you want to share, if it's about your mom collecting and curating timeless kitchenware for you, or you've gotta pay for it yourself, or your name is Bill and you make kitchen where who knows?
Speaker 3: Sky's the limit?
Speaker 4: This is a Frugal friendspodcast dot com slash Bill.
Speaker 3: Leave us your boo, and now it's time for.
Speaker 4: U.
Speaker 1: This is the part of the book club episode where we veer you away from non fiction into the land of fairies and dragons and other things that really they don't help your mind, they help your soul. So today this is usually the part of the show where I have a lot to say and Jill and.
Speaker 4: I'm staring blankly, like I there's a children's book I like, which I still do love children's books, don't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, wrong, okay, But today Jill has it like his session on lot.
Speaker 3: Yes, I have.
Speaker 4: Been so I speaking of community and connection and building relationships and finding benefit in that and learning even more about.
Speaker 3: The things that I value and enjoy.
Speaker 4: I joined along with you, Jen, We're part of a book club.
Speaker 3: We did not start it.
Speaker 4: Which is fun to not have to be like the spearheaders of something, but to get to.
Speaker 3: Join in on it.
Speaker 4: And we've been reading a lot of fiction within this book club, which has helped me to really zero in on what sorts of fiction do I enjoy, what types of It's not all fiction, some biography, but primarily fiction, historical fiction. Biography has been what we've read so far, and so've I've read about fifteen books.
Speaker 3: So far this year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, which I know a lot of people plow through so many more books than that, but that's a big deal for me on just like the reading that I do for work, so my I think one of my favorite fictions so far this year is The Grace Year by.
Speaker 3: Ye Kim Laigat And.
Speaker 4: It's honestly, it's kind of like why a fiction, but it was just a fun escape, kind of Oh what's the terminology? I always want to say apocalyptic, that's not it. Dystope Dystopian, yes, yes, so yeah. It's about a young girl kind of coming of age in this dystopian world where they send all the sixteen year old girls to release their magic into the woods and then come back and take a husband. Very kind of puritan culture and just kind of what happens relationship chips amongst females.
Speaker 1: I have to get that one in my lippy because I love Dystopian.
Speaker 3: I enjoyed it.
Speaker 4: It was I mean, don't go into that book thinking that you're gonna wholeheartedly learn something.
Speaker 1: It's just not the learning section, Jill. That's not where we are, because that's selection in the first half of the episode, page charter that I personally enjoyed. It's okay, be free, thank you?
Speaker 3: What else vulnerable? What else have you read?
Speaker 1: You can make You can make suggestions, and you can if you didn't like something, you can say that too.
Speaker 4: The fortunes of jaded women I did not care for. I would not encourage people to spend their time on that one. Just too absurd for me. I also enjoyed Transcendent Kingdom by Gayasi that I think is a specific flavor, though depending on like I connected with it deeply. I think because of some parallel experiences that one did feel a little bit more cerebral and cathartic for me. It's based on this PhD student who's studying essentially trauma and suffering and trying to determine if there are any kind of scientific methods that could be implemented to help interrupt addiction depression. So she's studying rats or mice, one of the two, while she's also navigating her own kind of difficulties with losing her brother and navigating her mom's depression and that kind of a thing. So it's a little bit heavier of topics, but I think deeply cathartic to kind of think through these various pieces of suffering. Which speaking of you know, the best vander Kolk book, The Body Keeps the Score. I think it can be helpful when we give ourselves opportunity to kind of dip into some of these layers and then pull back out with a more lighthearted book. But yeah, I enjoyed that one. What about you, jim Oh? Have my libby pulled up?
Speaker 1: So in the last three months I have read Bright Young Women by Jessica Nole. I really enjoyed that book. Part of it is because it takes place. It is a fiction book but inspired by real events, and most of it takes place in Tallahousee, Florida.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, but it's a serial killer book, you do, like those more murderous ones.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's through the view of the victims of the serial killing. So it doesn't mention the serial killer's name. You can google it and figure it out very quickly.
Speaker 6: But based on real murders historical fiction. Yeah, but the murderers, like the characters are our fiction. But the murderers, the murderers reel, the places are real, the timeline is real for the most part.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that one was really good. We read The Lost Apothecary for the book club and we had mixed feelings about it. Yeah, it was okay, I would say.
Speaker 4: By authors from Saint Pete, which I did DM her to see if she wanted to come to her book club.
Speaker 1: She never spot and it's probably a good thing because.
Speaker 3: We were We talked freely about the book. So yeah, I don't know. It's it's all right.
Speaker 1: I like part of it. There's two storylines. One storyline I really loved and the other storyline I did not like at all, so it's hard. I read The Women by Kristin Hannah. I'm currently reading that well no, yeah, of course, no spoilers, but it is one of her best books. The Nightingale still number one in my opinion by Christanna, but this one.
Speaker 3: Was very good.
Speaker 4: It's a hefty book. I'm reading it tangibly and is she a big girl. I don't know if I'm going to get through it. I think I have two book Yeah, yeah, the book is girthy.
Speaker 1: I went through a Bridgerton phase as everybody else did, early this summer, so I actually read Romancing Mister Bridgerton, which is the book that the third season is based on. You don't have to read the other books to like understand, so I didn't, Oh, no, where's my list? I just okay. And then just this month, I started the Throne of Glass series, which is a Sarah Jane Mass which who wrote a guitar accord.
Speaker 3: To firms the rest of that series. So I started her other.
Speaker 1: Series, Throne of Glass, and I have read Thrown of Glass, the first book, and Crown of Midnight. Wow. Actually just finished Crowd of Midnight this morning before I walked into through it.
Speaker 3: Now audio are primarily audio, right.
Speaker 1: I am only audios. I don't have time to sit down and read a book. I can listen to a book while I'm in the car, while I'm doing dishes, taking a shower, folding laundry. Yeah, yeah, I don't have time to sit down and read the book.
Speaker 3: I'm doing a combination at the moment.
Speaker 4: Sometimes it is nice to just wind down with a book, but it with the book club if I have time a time limitation. Audiobooks always a whole lot because I have to finish a book in a certain timeframe. But it does allow me to have like multiple books going at once. Like I'm listening to The Psychology of Money by Morgan Housel when I cook, and then I read.
Speaker 3: My other book.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna give it a popular opinion about the Psychology of Money.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is very hard.
Speaker 1: It was very hard for me to get through.
Speaker 3: Didn't finish. Interesting.
Speaker 1: I read the article, so I like feel like I've read the book because I read it's based on.
Speaker 3: An article he wrote that one viral.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I have read the article, And for me, the book is just it's I And maybe it's because I am already familiar with the points that he's making, so it's just not I'm not learning anything. So it doesn't feel so if you I'm saying that for like, because it is such a big book, Like if you felt like you couldn't get through because you were bored, you're not alone.
Speaker 3: So interesting that you say that.
Speaker 4: I don't disagree to a point, and I could understand how that would be the case, Like I've gotten to points now in the audio version where I kind of glaze over. But I think it's because there's such specific statistics that are being given that are harder for me to digest a like audibly than it would be if I were reading it. And so I actually started the book in written form, like I started by reading it and really enjoyed it. I've actually enjoyed it less listening to it, and so I do wonder if it really helped personally for me to kind of take in some of the information and it's written for to really see kind of the stark contrast between these numbers and that numbers and this person situation and that person situation. It certainly has a lot to do with reading or learning styles, but I think when I was more engaged with it through reading versus like multitesking while listening, I was able to be more engaged. But even now I'm kind of getting to the point where I'm thinking it's a relatively short book, but it feels like yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: We get it. Yeah, let's move on. Yeah.
Speaker 1: It was an article, and it was a great article. It was a fantastic article, and it is.
Speaker 3: A long book.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but yeah, some really great concepts though I would recommend it, so a lot of those concepts we talk about and buy what you love without going broke, like more briefly, so it.
Speaker 3: Is, it's very good.
Speaker 1: But his is a lot of psychology of money, like as it relates to investing, and ours is as it relates to spending, which could be similar because you are essentially spending money on investments when you buy them, so there is overlap there. But I wanted to I wanted to round it out with one book that is not fiction, but it's not self help. It's I'm Glad my Mom died.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Loved that book and I thought it was really really fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't really like to put writings on people's own personal stories. I think it was harder for me to connect with that one since I didn't. I didn't, I didn't never watch I Carly, So I think sometimes I know that it was a very popular book, but I think primarily amongst people who knew who she was previously and get to enjoy some of the backstories, so I really had no context her life.
Speaker 1: I actually did not know who she was.
Speaker 3: But yeah, just kind of like the child star situation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought, because I related to a lot of her feelings about her being more burros and just not as peppy as other girls like her wanting to write versus act or.
Speaker 3: Do you know.
Speaker 1: It's just like a lot of her personality I've very much related to and a lot of those struggles like being different was very much me and so I really enjoyed like reading that. So it was it was a fun read for me. So I hope that we gave you some fall recommendations, whether you're reading fiction.
Speaker 3: Non fiction, what have you.
Speaker 1: And if you enjoyed this episode, we would love if you would leave a rating and review. We love reading your kind reviews, especially this one from Aaron with a Quay The Only Money Related Podcast.
Speaker 3: I enjoy.
Speaker 1: Five stars. As a trying to be responsible grown up person, I try to keep on top of financial advice, but it always feels like a chore. Jen and Jill give me all the info I need, but I actually look forward to listening to and learning from them. Thanks for making a serious topic so much fun.
Speaker 4: Well thanks Aaron with a Kay love that review so appreciate it and thank you all for listening. If you also enjoyed this show and you haven't yet left us a rating, a review, it would be so so hopeful to us. So please do that wherever it is that you're listening. It helps others find us, It just helps us look like more credible, and it just helps Thanks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, bye bye.
Speaker 1: Grugal Friends is produced by Eric Siriani.
Speaker 3: Jen.
Speaker 4: Yes, I had another very Florida experience. Y do you remember my cockroach story? Yeah, by Florida experience. Yeah, this one's adjacent to that. I was doing laundry, pulling my clothes out of the washing machine to go into the dryer.
Speaker 3: And as I.
Speaker 4: Pull some of the clothes out, my hand touches something like a little more hard and crunchy than what my clothes should feel like. Like, that's not right. So I dropped whatever it was that I was holding. Big old spider, no dead spider, obo, but right, because.
Speaker 3: It went through the wash big how big?
Speaker 4: Like okay, when it was dead and shriveled up, it was this big, like a little larger than to horder. So then imagine when it was alive. It had to have been one of those guys. You know, like the size of a what would that be?
Speaker 3: That's horrifying.
Speaker 4: It's all, yeah, it is so horrifying. And then of course my mind goes to, well, how did it.
Speaker 3: Get in there? Was it already in my clothes and the laundry that went into there? Did it crawl into the washing machine? That's what I want to believe. I don't know why.
Speaker 4: That feels better to me that like it had found its way into the washing machine and wasn't just lying in my laundry basket for forever feeding your from.
Speaker 3: Dead skin flakes.
Speaker 1: That's yeah, it just found its way into the washing machine, for sure. I find so many things in the washing machine. On a good day, it's a toy or a pen. On a bad day, it's a diaper or a pull up. But fun fact, just take the diaper out. It's gonna look like a mess. But when you put it into the dryer, the lint catcher will catch all of it. Like, you don't have to wash it again. The dryer will dry it all out. It'll be fine.
Speaker 6: Like I'm kinding on what kind of diper no, a diaper, like a diaper diaper?
Speaker 3: Like what was in the diaper original.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, yeah, no, we don't wouldn't be a poopy diaper.
Speaker 3: But you know that's just a regular diaper, okay.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't know what would have And I'm sure the same thing actually would happen with the with both times, but I would wash, it would rewash, right, Yeah, yeah for sure, for sure? Uh yeah, I yeah.
Speaker 3: Spiders.
Speaker 1: I remember whenever I think of spiders, I think of the first or second summit that we hosted, the Proval Loving Summit, and our friend Caroline was talking about finding a spider and we were just all like, oh, spiders, and she was like, oh, spiders just burned to the ground. Burn it to the ground. And somebody sent me an email saying how she was so offended that we were promoting animal abuse like in our summit, and I we don't, we don't have.
Speaker 3: I didn't respond to it. I just I couldn't. There are people who kill spiders. People are down, and apparently we don't go back.
Speaker 1: And maybe that's why we need to read the Anbama. Maybe that's why we need It's so true