Speaker 1: Yeah, what's up y'all? Was going on?
Speaker 2: Brodo He's a legendary Queen's rapper.
Speaker 3: Hey Hanks, that is your boy in He's.
Speaker 1: A Miami hip hop pioneer. What up his dj e f N.
Speaker 2: Together they drink it up with some of the biggest players in music and sports. You know what I mean, the most professional, unprofessional podcast and your number one source for drunk fact.
Speaker 4: This is drinks champing Way. Every day is New Year's Eve. That's what a good bee hoping. This is a bed boy and dj e f N.
Speaker 3: And this drinks chests want for the podcast, mab.
Speaker 4: And right now. We had a legendary night. First off, we go talk people at Martel. You know what I'm saying, konjac We we drank a lot of the Konyak. I happily drink a lot of it. Yeah, you went in. You went in and you're the only one high. Nobody else was. Everybody else was high and you hot to That's that's the Martell. Goddamn that makes a nice on Martell got damn. So we got to describe to the people what they bound here right now, both of one of both very seldomly to me and you have the same favorite rapper. Ice Cube is one of them. Definitely, definitely one of them. And we got to describe that. We actually flew to New York to get him.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's not much, that's much. He's one of our favorites.
Speaker 4: Right the snowstorm dead at us and then they said he's going to be in Atlanta, and I drove. You went back home. You had to handle business and you flew. We didn't hesitate, we didn't hesitate. We got it. So we're doing this and uh, ice Cube, man.
Speaker 5: He came in front. I'll get a little starstruck.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: I kind of saw you a little nervous, so I was like.
Speaker 6: I was kind of like that.
Speaker 5: I like that, that certificate.
Speaker 1: It's just crazy, man.
Speaker 4: America's most wanted, America's most wanted, all of the legend. We should I could have wait for hours, we could have done. But I've seen that. You know, his people's was you know, it's cool, but you know, we got it done.
Speaker 3: This is what this is what our jobs is. We come, we get it done, and.
Speaker 4: We relaxed, and it's gonna be another time and we relax as well.
Speaker 3: And we're relaxed so we can go about to say it. I don't want to anyway.
Speaker 4: We go to Chick fil A. It's kind of crazy. That sounded wrong, right, but it sounds like cold world. I'm not even like I actually like the Chicken fil A, the chicken salad, saying no, no, I'm just trying.
Speaker 3: To clean it up.
Speaker 4: But we got ice Cube and we heard this a couple of podcasters that's out there hating.
Speaker 3: You're gonna go with the Elliott. Was it Elliott?
Speaker 1: Why you hated on us? We're gonna tell you.
Speaker 3: Why that he's doing drink camps and not rap radar because you're not on the radar rap rate. You're not even on anybody's radar. And you're lucky I ain't called home and say you made it wrong.
Speaker 4: Move you're taking. You're doing a little direct that title. But we respect you, Ellien, because you haven't other than other than this. I thought you would you turned over a new leaf, and I thought you stopped hating, but apparently not.
Speaker 3: But we don't care. We we got love for you. We want you to.
Speaker 4: Figure up to combat jackal Head because he also hated on us. In combat Jack is the fact it's not just us.
Speaker 3: So the fact that he's hating on us both.
Speaker 4: I kind of like, I'm not even mad, like I'm matter cool with you hating on us.
Speaker 3: Both is cool. But you know, you know, get your waight up.
Speaker 1: You hate No, he should come to the show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're gonna keep giving it to you. Yeah, you gotta.
Speaker 4: Relax for you, but you until unb dot come on the show mister.
Speaker 1: Every day.
Speaker 4: But you know, for the people that's listening, we just playing around. They actually don't care what they do. They can hate. We're gonna still do us.
Speaker 3: But uh, we got to relax.
Speaker 4: Shirts all right, cool website star Rock Clothing dot com.
Speaker 3: You can also buy weed from there.
Speaker 1: I'm just playing.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah, listen, I mean fucking up your ads as you big en up your ass. Just throw Molly in there for no reason, like take Molly as well, like you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: It's just retarded.
Speaker 4: But also big up to Martell once again for they came here. Cube had a right Russian with Martell. He he he drank very lightly.
Speaker 5: He's working, he's working.
Speaker 3: And we was his last interview. Uh.
Speaker 4: He actually went to colleges and he went and it was a great experience for us. You know, that's just coming out here because the thing about it is we want people to know that we're serious about what we're doing, and we'll come, we'll come to the artist, you know, pause because we know other shows won't. Other shows won't do that, and so we're a part of that. And we actually got to see fist Fight. Ed Lovell confused me on the hashtags. He gave me like seven different hashtags. I didn't remember which one.
Speaker 3: It was teaching fight at first, and it was fist Fight.
Speaker 4: And I really want you guys to go out there and support it because I'm not saying this because he's on the show. I'm saying this because it's actually I am not, you know, because I'm open and like if I hated the movie, I probably would have still picked it up.
Speaker 3: But this is not the case.
Speaker 4: Like this is not the case here, Like I actually love the fucking movie and I'm actually homegirls. He offered me free tickets and I would I'm still gonna take the free tickets, but I'm still gonna go out support and I'm definitely gonna buy popcorn definitely, Like I'm gonna support because it's a great movie and I love comedies. Cammy shot you out or you want to you want to be behind the scenes.
Speaker 5: You don't like a movie, you don't buy popcorn?
Speaker 4: Alex Alex, big of Alex for my life? What company you do or no company?
Speaker 1: What come?
Speaker 3: Seem that seemed mad complicated to pronounce. I'm sorry al.
Speaker 4: And Alex and what's the name again? I'm sorry Alex Alex. She's such a wonderful person. Pick up Jenny, our people's you know what I'm saying. Martel provided the Martel Uh yeah, big up to this rock as well. Big up everybody, Big up everybody who supports Drink Chances. Drink Chance, supports drink Chaps. I'm very, very hype and excited. This is our new season. We're starting off. So we had fun. Man, we had fun. We had ice Cube. I'm still drinking vodka with ice cubes and Martel on the.
Speaker 5: Side drinking Martel.
Speaker 3: Martel got you high? You are high ship?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 4: So any come on come over here, checking come of so to the people, God damn it, come over here, thank bing, get on the ice Cube episode. Come on, come sit over here. Tell these people. For years you tell people you Chinese, but you.
Speaker 1: Are not.
Speaker 4: He's forese, please come sit over here, chick Bing, don't get me, want to set up, don't want to set up? Come on, ching Bing, Come on, man, you know you know being chick bing. Actually me and Poem met in jail, but me and chicken Bing was actually like in the same houses like Poem was across chick big talk to the people.
Speaker 3: God damnit, Yo y'alla hats? What are they selling on y'o y'all.
Speaker 1: The New York y'alla hats. I was chilling with my.
Speaker 7: Man one day he said, Yo, ching Bing. He said, yeah, you more famous in a little bit man. Everybody ship. You need to design your own ship. So I said, Yo, let's do it.
Speaker 1: I said. He said, what you said, let's do it? He said, what you want to put?
Speaker 6: I said, I want to do a yo y'alla hat.
Speaker 1: He said, Yo, y'alla had it is so like an hour later he sent me the ship.
Speaker 7: He was like, Yo, what's uping you like this? I said, it look all right, but you need to put it. You need to make it look good, like you know, with some aura.
Speaker 1: And then he sent me to flick. I was like, yo, let's do it. I like it.
Speaker 7: I put one five seven on the side. That's for Jira murder Unit. But you know we switched up in time. You got you got what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Mike Booth, what's going on? Like yo on TV?
Speaker 1: He sent me twelve and I was like, all right, cool. So now I got like an order of like one hundred and fifty. So it's like crazy because I ain't believe it at first.
Speaker 7: So now they want like one hundred and fifty orders of me even gone, so they're making them now.
Speaker 3: And you got fall these residue on you. Let's make some much all jokes. You know everything I said is not the truth. Relax, I got off right, I got on it.
Speaker 4: But we had you drink some Martell. Drink some more Tell. You already got the Martelling here, shut down. We got some Moretell to Mike, don't mix it.
Speaker 5: I don't know what it is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I ain't gonna fright that. Don't that whatever you mixed it with. Don't look they mixed up. This gave you the let's pick up to the Martelle girls.
Speaker 1: By the way, not only.
Speaker 4: Did we have Martell, We've got the mart Tell girls and they were dressed.
Speaker 3: They were professional, they were here on time.
Speaker 4: They look pretty and gorgeous. Definitely made sure they make up was tight. I like women with great makeup. I'm into that. I'm into it. I acknowledge I'll be like sometimes like girl, your lip line.
Speaker 6: Is not You gotta get your you gotta get your life together.
Speaker 3: You shape up on your lips and hoods. You gotta shape your lips up.
Speaker 8: You know what I'm saying that the team has sound sounds the movie spick up.
Speaker 4: The rich Blanco even though he ain't here. Man, it's the lead, Diego Russ and everybody a part of the clue.
Speaker 1: Twin.
Speaker 8: Got to relax, Twin, what you're doing right now? You gotta relax. You gotta relax to relax.
Speaker 3: But yo, man, what building did we visited early?
Speaker 1: I forgot?
Speaker 3: That was pretty dope.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 4: It was it was the country country.
Speaker 3: Club, the gathering Clay.
Speaker 4: So it's a place you would go, you could meet, you can have advanced there. And they had a full fledged restaurant, had a full fledged ball and to private private So it's very much worth birth the money whatever the money is a month. I forget what they said, but it was very much worth it. It was a very great environment. I immediately wanted to drink soon as I've seen it, Like you know, usually I like I come to a place, I.
Speaker 3: Just admire it. And that's it. From when I seen the ball, I was like, I'm the type of person I have to have a drink there.
Speaker 4: And I did, And let's make some noise of that. But so big up to my people. Yeah it didn't work.
Speaker 5: You got done.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you could tell.
Speaker 4: You could tell Cube does fifteen minute interviews and that staff like we were getting he was getting great questions. We were saying them, what you know, great hip hop.
Speaker 7: Ship is that we seen him get out the limo. We seen him get out the limo. We don't get in them.
Speaker 3: I thought that was so fly.
Speaker 4: I thought, like to me, like to me, like like when a person keeps something old school about them and they keep it, Like to me, that's dope, Like it's like, yo, you never forgot because like it was so dope that he was in drama studio and it was was telling me to leave and I just for some reason didn't feel the.
Speaker 3: Energy to leave.
Speaker 4: And and just to me see him get into the limo, he got a suburban there as well. But he said, I'm not security. It's like you just said he did. He didn't care he has security.
Speaker 1: But he was.
Speaker 3: But I did not know Stanley was his cousin. Stanley the guy you.
Speaker 4: Don't remember Stanley, keep off my griss.
Speaker 7: With the no no midget.
Speaker 3: That was Bernie Mack you're talking about. I'm talking about.
Speaker 4: But Bernie Mack was square, dude, the square. That's a mixed Stanley tonight. So and I seen him yesterday. That's what really caught me because I'm like, damn, and he's actually standing in front of you. He's actually like walking like almost I want to say, I don't want to say assistant because that's like but it wasn't assistant role.
Speaker 3: It was kind of almost like security is.
Speaker 1: The way he walked.
Speaker 3: And he just said as his cousin. But I did not know that.
Speaker 4: And that now, but Stanley's a fucking great character in FRA you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: Drake Dray got hyped and I didn't get to ask him.
Speaker 4: Drake didn't warrant because Drane found out right before that he might be Jamaican.
Speaker 8: His great great grandparents, only another Jamaican with things like that.
Speaker 3: Nobody else had this information in my dream.
Speaker 5: Even take you drank like a one two drink the same coup.
Speaker 4: Drink the drink from the same You can't we can't always expect our guests to get drunken.
Speaker 3: Things like that. And and and we're a better show.
Speaker 1: He took a shot.
Speaker 3: That was he took a he took and he's working. He's working to man, Yeah, solo man for ice.
Speaker 4: You know, big up my brother Mike no I G Mike more, I G booth figure, my brother song Yo, Big up to big people of RUSS, Big up to rock champs Diego.
Speaker 3: We drove here like idiots.
Speaker 4: I'm not you know, it was a good it was a great trip, but I'm just saying it was an idiot.
Speaker 3: Like we were just all idious. He was just like you tonight, and I just wanted one of them to be like new.
Speaker 4: Everybody looked at the watch and say, we ain't got ship to do, and I was like, and it's Valentine's Day.
Speaker 3: I looked at my girl and I said, go on one Valentine's Day. We gotta relax. We got to relax, man. And she's like, hey, let me get away with that kissed the missa already. I'm trying to get home. Look at me, you get me off, give me, don't be afraid to give me all. I like the dolls, God damn it. So yeah, so we did. I came here two days earlier.
Speaker 4: Atlanta was great. You know, we had we had a ball out here. Then chick bing and my groo flew out here and we we we're.
Speaker 3: Just having fun. And that's what it's about. Man Like, we know, we handle business talking about this man.
Speaker 4: Yeah, him been crazy at the wingstock.
Speaker 1: The wingstock, he.
Speaker 3: Took care of all the bills. The bill was the bill was gracious. But we have fun.
Speaker 6: That's what it's about. Listen, let me know, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Goops, straight now what you got havel a clip?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 3: All right, So we're gonna smoke on blood and we're gon we're gonna hopefully enjoy what we did.
Speaker 4: Hopefully I enjoyed the teasers that we put out, you know what I'm saying before the second season, because you know, we're really into what we do. We really want you guys to have fun. We really want you guys to be entertained. We really want you guys to laugh, joke and also learn something, you know what I mean. And I think we've done We've done a great job. I think we've done a great job. So with no further ado, here goes the ice Cube episode. Hey Hanks, Hope your South via It's your Boy and R d j E fin it. This is dreat chance for the podcast make something and right now, it's an absolute honor for me to introduce this man. Not only is he one of my favorite rappers, he's also one of my favorite people. Like the person that he is right now, I strive to be that, you know what I'm saying, as a person that who writes his own movies, produces in his own movies, who you could tell he hand picks his rolls. I do a lot of things in life, and I say, if ice Cube ain't doing it, I ain't doing it.
Speaker 3: Like I live like that.
Speaker 4: Like in real life, I'd be like, yo, somebody offered me pink popcorn, I'm like, I don't think of cute, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: So in life I do that.
Speaker 4: So I'm so honored to have in the building with the Drink Champs. It's the first time Hip hop is controlling media. My brother DJ e Fn is a DJ. I'm a hip hop artist. And we transitioned and now on the journalistic point.
Speaker 3: Of view, and we got.
Speaker 4: This is like a bigger, biggest god damn it, the motherfucker West Coast legend.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I appreciate it. Man, that's love. That's love.
Speaker 3: Now. I went to the Perman last night and it was.
Speaker 5: To stopped talking about it, talking about I'm.
Speaker 4: Going to go out and spend money. Yeah, I got him with the review for free, but I'm gonna spend money. I'm gonna bring my kids, I'm gonna bring my wife because the movie was hilarious.
Speaker 3: From the beginning.
Speaker 4: Now, so when we speak about this movie, was how did you get approach to this movie?
Speaker 1: You know, I've been been working with Newline, thank you.
Speaker 9: Been working with Newline for a minute, and they had this project you know that they brought to me. Uh they said, Charlie Day was attached to it. And I've been wanting to work with Charlie for a minute because I think his form of comics is unique, you know, And so I just knew if we ever did something together, it would be lit. And you know, all came together. You know, the director is a guy that he worked with, you know on Always Sunny. He shot that, so you know, the synergy was right, the row was right, and you know we came out here and did our thing.
Speaker 1: We shot it out in Atlanta.
Speaker 4: Me and then you got Tracy Morgan. A return of Tracy Morgan is in this. Yeah, and he's funny as fuck. Oh my god, like you like because sometimes you know, when the person goes through a tragic accident, you almost yeah, you almost feel like that it's something gonna be different about him.
Speaker 3: But he was straight up Tracy Morgan and it was hilarious.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, it was just.
Speaker 9: Good to see that dude. I had worked with him before on First Sunday did a movie together, and it's like.
Speaker 3: First Sunday the Church.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, yes, and funny Robert to go with the money.
Speaker 9: He had he had an ankle break, slid on his ankle, you know, after we shot. He had to go straight to the hotel and you know, he said, man, doing that movie, you know I really thought about I got my life together after that. Well, it was cool to see him, you know, on the other side of this accident and you know, just a happy guy. You know, I know he's still being fun, healthy and happy.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So now I'm gonna be a little bit all over the place because this is something that that that it hit me crazy when I watched Straight out of Content. Yeah was your wife comes over to you and says, how is Friday coming along?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: So did you write Friday when you were still doing Nwa?
Speaker 9: No, I I had just left the group. But we wrote it in about ninety four, me and DJ.
Speaker 3: What the fuck a minute? You wrote Friday in ninety four?
Speaker 1: Ninety four? We shot in ninety five, so.
Speaker 5: Wow, it's around the certificate time or right.
Speaker 4: After, right after and then it came out in ninety five. Yeah, we shot it came out later. No, no, no, So but you you so you had the foresight to write this movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 9: You know, we was fans of Hollywood Shuffle, which is a Robert Townsend comedy about you know, black people's experience going through in Hollywood. So it just we heard that he had he had done that movie off of credit cards. Basically, he shot that movie, you know, kind of buying credit I mean getting credit cards and and uh, you know, charging everything and kind of pieced it together. So we was like, Yo, that's what we're gonna do. We're about to make a movie. So me and Pool started writing it. We were teaching DJ.
Speaker 1: Pool were fans of In Living Color too, you know. Uh So.
Speaker 9: It started coming together and and New Line got wind of it, and they was like, Yo, we'll make it.
Speaker 1: We'll make it. Use your credit card, now use my money.
Speaker 3: But New Line since Friday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've been working with New Line since Friday.
Speaker 3: And is that Stanley?
Speaker 1: Is that that's my man, that's my cousin.
Speaker 4: I keep on people grass to this day because yeah, sat Glass ain't let you walk in his grass. Damn that makes it not if. So when you wrote Friday, did you know that this.
Speaker 3: Was a Coult movie?
Speaker 9: Like immediately I knew it was a movie that only like I felt like, only cool people get this movie, you know, because it's just too hood, but it's too funny.
Speaker 1: But you know what happened was everybody got it.
Speaker 9: Everybody came to the party, and I just thought it was gonna be like like my records. I thought, only you know, people in the hood was gonna buy, and everybody ended up buying. And we kind of felt the same way with the movie. That it wasn't too many people in Hollywood like us, and this movie, you know, is a little different than what people used to uh So we felt like only a niche group of.
Speaker 3: People would would like this movie because because that was that was.
Speaker 4: Very It was very crazy that you had such a lustriious career as a hip hop artist. He was part of the arguably the best group of all times, in my opinion, the best group of all times. Then you go and have your own solo success. Why did you even think, like, let me do a movie next.
Speaker 9: I got big by the bug working with John Singleton Boys and to put me in Boys in the Hood. And you know, one day I was over at his crib and he was like, yo, cud when you're gonna write a movie. I'm like what, I'm like, I came over here to have a big niggat to you know, get put to work. He was like, no, nah, I think you can do it. I'm like, what makes you think I could do it? He said, them records you write, you know, so vivid, I know you can write a movie. So that night it's a trip. I went to the computer store and bought a computer and got the programs I needed. That was back when you had to load all the damn programs into the computer.
Speaker 1: And uh. And I started writing the script that night. I didn't know what I was doing. I just started. But the first two scripts I wrote was Whack.
Speaker 4: Garbage Pally still worth four hundred million dollars.
Speaker 1: But but but you know, the third one was Friday. You know, seeing that and get made, I kind of knew what I was doing right and knew what I was doing wrong. Just kept on from now.
Speaker 3: Who was the director on Friday?
Speaker 1: Gary Gray?
Speaker 3: And Steve car did a Friday too, He did next Friday. Oh okay, okay, I worked with Steve car before. He's crazy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so now.
Speaker 4: Now easy yeah, easy. He said one of the most prolific lines in life. He said, ice cube, right the rhymes that I say, yeah, And nobody thought he was.
Speaker 1: A sucker for that.
Speaker 4: But right now, Drake and all these people, like, how did you feel when you heard about like the Drake thing.
Speaker 9: I don't think it's a big deal. I think you got two categories you know of MC's. You know, you got MC's who could just kind of grab the mic and just rip and they you know, naturally that and then you got guys who you know, make good records and make it, you know, and that's really what it's all about, what's coming out to speakers.
Speaker 1: But when it comes to this record game, because.
Speaker 4: When you were writing around Easy, were you writing it from his perspective?
Speaker 3: Were you like saying, I'm gonna write it from Everic or was it like it was?
Speaker 9: I mean, his perspective is my perspective. We all come from the same area going through the same issues. So I never looked at it like I'm writing the Easy record only only he could.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 9: It's kind of like, you know, if I just took his name out and put my name in there, you know, to be my rhyme.
Speaker 4: Now did it happen like that in the movie, because like in the movie, I think, y'all, yeah, I was right and around for East Coast dudes. Yeah, I was definitely disappointed they couldn't right to rhyme him.
Speaker 9: Really happy. Easy wanted to be a manager. He just wanted to manage the groups. He didn't want to rap, and New York was so hot and l A was so cold. He was like, man, I want a New York group. So he found these dudes out of New York called Homeboys only HBO.
Speaker 3: I think I remember them, and and he said he was like, yo, right.
Speaker 1: Q right, one of them hood raps for these dudes. So I did it.
Speaker 3: But when it wasn't rolling six four? Was it really.
Speaker 1: The third period?
Speaker 9: So I wrote it and gave it to him, and they was like, man, this, what are you talking about? Ganking six? Yeah, jacket, we don't know what you're talking about. Man, this ain't got nothing to do with where we're from. So I think it was just the fact that the rhymes was so lay.
Speaker 3: They just was like no, and you asked easy, you say easy, Dre Drake, so easy.
Speaker 9: Man, won't you do it? We got the studio time, We paid for it once you tried. Because Dre was producing all kinds of records, man, and he was producing, you know, he was moonlighting basically just producing these side records. So you know, he was used to working with guys who you know, dudes is paying the money. DJ's from radio stations was like, yo, I got this creative rap, I want you to do the be So you know, Dre was like that, you know, just trying to trying to get on, trying to get money, and so it.
Speaker 1: Was like, Easy, I can coach you up. You know what you doing now.
Speaker 4: In the movie, it was like you were like the only business savvy person, like you knew, you knew to ask for like certain things. And all the other artists they were they were kind of I mean, according to the movie, it kind of seemed like they were cool with going on to all, getting some chicks and smoking some weed, and they were. But you had the foresight to say, I know that I'm I'm old something. How did you develop that business mind sense?
Speaker 9: I mean, you know, it ain't it ain't like I'm from a different planet. You know, it's each one teach one.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I had a publicist.
Speaker 9: The publicist for n w A was a lady named past Shavin if y'all, if y'all know Friday, y'all know, y'all see the dame past all that. But she ended up becoming my manager. But before she was my manager, she was like soon as she saw Jerry Heller, she was like, do y'all know this guy?
Speaker 1: Do you know who this dude is? And I'm like, no, who was he?
Speaker 9: Somebody Easy brought around so she would give me the game on like did y'all sign a contract with him?
Speaker 1: Nah, because she knew his history.
Speaker 3: He was known for being a bad guy.
Speaker 1: I mean, she knew his history.
Speaker 9: I don't know what he was known, but she was like, yo, So she starts saying, did he give you a kind you know, just kind of giving me the game.
Speaker 1: So I was I was like, you know, this is dude.
Speaker 9: I need to watch then, you know, because if she I don't even really know her that good and if she's saying to watch him, I don't know none of these people. So I'm watching everybody. And that's how I started to just notice things wasn't happening, you know, because I was young.
Speaker 1: Two. We all young.
Speaker 9: We happy to just be doing a record, We happy to be on tour, We happy to just be part of hip hop and not just locals no more. So you know, I would listen to that lady, you know what I mean, And she was giving me a lot of good game, and I was using it.
Speaker 1: And I was helping them too.
Speaker 9: You know, in the movie it don't show that go to ring and say, look, mann't don't sign nothing.
Speaker 1: You know, I got Wow, they already knew, they already knew somewhere.
Speaker 9: Yeah, they knew where I was coming from, and you know, they clowned me when I didn't signed that contract.
Speaker 1: Man, And it really was seventy thousand, it was seventy five. Is there any reason y'all didn't portrayed?
Speaker 10: Hold on?
Speaker 3: Hold on?
Speaker 4: Hold on, and I want you to go there, But do you know seventy five thousand back then was like seven hundred?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So how did you walk away?
Speaker 3: And now go right back to your cus?
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, but how did like every young black kid from the ghetto A would have took that seventy five?
Speaker 3: Yeah, why didn't you want to do that?
Speaker 1: I knew they owe me more more.
Speaker 9: I knew they owe me more, so I knew if I took that, then I was accepting that that I wasn't paid more, that this was cool, and I was like, this ain't cool.
Speaker 1: Shit.
Speaker 4: They gave me five thousand dollars. I was happy thousand.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 9: You know, it's like, dude, you know when when you ain't never had nothing, and and you start getting getting a little and you start seeing people get a lot, and you start saying, with hold on, man, I'm putting in more work than anybody, or you know, most of the people around, you know, just threw up a red flag. And where I'm from, it's like if you know somebody beating you and you accept it, you're just.
Speaker 1: A bitch period period. Yeah.
Speaker 10: No, So I was asking about Arabian Prince. Is there any reason why he wasn't portrayed in the film.
Speaker 1: You know, it's really like in a movie, you only have so much real estate. And you know, he got out the group.
Speaker 5: It's a truth.
Speaker 9: As soon as he saw Jerry, he was like, I'm out, well, yeah he was. He quit the day after we shot that cover. He quit the day after we he quit. He wouldn't talk to He knew about Jerry because because he had done records with mccola, he knew Jerry was sitting there and wait for artists.
Speaker 1: He was like, Easy, what's up man? While you signing with this dude?
Speaker 9: And I think you know, Easy was like, he's a dope dealer that's making records and this dude is like, yeo, I'm gonna take you off of that that level and turn it into.
Speaker 1: Some legit stuff.
Speaker 9: And he did get us, you know, he did get doors open, and he did get us a dalb Jerry Jerry, you know, because the majors wasn't giving us no deal. They was like, nah, it too crazy. So uh, you know, he did his thing in business by easy, but he didn't do it by us. And then we find out that, you know, he was even still it from easy. So it was just you know, I don't want to talk about dead but God bless yeah whatever.
Speaker 5: Yeah, at least he was a part of getting y'all out though.
Speaker 1: That's why in the movie. You know, if you really look at it, he was. We didn't. We didn't lampoon him like we like I wanted to. We we you know, we did all right.
Speaker 4: By now you worked with arguably everybody's top five producer of all times. Was Doctor Dre always special or that was something that it was developed in time.
Speaker 9: He was always special, you know, first d J. Then doing mixtapes. It was the O G mixtapes now, not the new mixtapes where they just got somebody beating you wrap.
Speaker 4: Over it, because a mixtape back there was mixing, actually mixing rec mixing, you know, mixing records.
Speaker 1: You know, he was he was hot, he was on, always nice, you know, making beats.
Speaker 9: It's just his you know, his his ear. He just hears stuff different, you know what I'm saying. And he's tedious and he liked it. He won't let you out there booth till you get it right. Yeah, some dudes can't handle it. I mean I heard chastised some dudes. You know, they used to going in there and just spitting right.
Speaker 1: Nah Na.
Speaker 4: But that's how I know you was a one hundred percent real artist. I remember we did Pushing Weight the remix, and you said, Noord has to come to the studio and you actually wanted.
Speaker 3: To come into the studio and see me write.
Speaker 4: My rime and like that, like you wanted you like to me, that's real because when you do a record with somebody, you should share a world of course. And I just knew one hundred percent. I said, this guy is one hundred authentic because of that, because I knew you could have You could have sent me the record wherever I was at and I could have did it. You was like, I'm gonna be in the studio with him. And I always knew you one hundred percent real artist for that.
Speaker 1: Well, that's what it's all about.
Speaker 8: Man.
Speaker 9: You know, don't do a record together. I don't want to send it over there. You know, we gotta be we gotta vibe, you know, or oh, we shouldn't do a record together.
Speaker 3: Man, And we smoked helloweed that day too. That's makes annoyse close to that definitely, were's.
Speaker 4: A fly ship to say rageist right now, we're gonna chill because we don't want smoking bills and shit like that.
Speaker 3: But you know, so now you you you do Friday?
Speaker 4: Yeah, what makes you say let me continue this franchise and go and do Friday Part two? Because now Friday Part two, Chris Tucker is not a part of this. Yeah, So what made you still want to say? I'm I'm gonna continue to do that? What I didn't want to I was like, why, I know, Chris Man, what is this movie? You know?
Speaker 9: It's like, you know, just like you're losing a major pieces like Shaq and Kobe breaking up, you know what I mean? It's like, how can how could y'all win championships? But then I started thinking, like, you know, this movie is not about two people. It's about a day. It's about understanding your environment and having a little fun laughing at it. So I'm like, yo, it makes sense if we're gonna continue this for Craig maybe to go off the block. So all the characters, you know, we're gonna introduce you, y'all had no idea that was a real place. By the way, we're gon we're gonna be in a new place. We having new cast of characters. And then I start saying it like, Yo, when I saw Mike Gaps do stand up, I'm like, that's Craig Cousin.
Speaker 1: That's Craig Cousin right now.
Speaker 9: So I was like, yo, we can we can keep this thing going, you know, and just have my cousin instead of my friend and just clown about being away from the hood.
Speaker 4: Now, be honest, because Chris Tucker destroy that. Please, did you did you think Mike Apps? Because now Mike Epps is a no name? Look at this sound.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Like I remember being in the movie theater and people being like, when they saw that, it wasn't a day day, it was smoking.
Speaker 3: Excuse me when they saw they wasn't smoking, Like people.
Speaker 4: Were actually were booming at first when they seen that, And it transitions to be like, but did you know that he can hold it down or did.
Speaker 3: You have doubts?
Speaker 1: I mean, I know he can hold it down.
Speaker 9: I know that we can make because Friday is about it's about a feel. It's more than just one person, you know, housing the movie. It's a it's his own thing in a way. So I just knew that the cast that we had in the story, of course it was gonna jar people a little bit. But I knew once people got a chance to really field Mike Apps and see him, that his comedy is mo hood and Smokey's to me, and I just felt like, people are you know they love him?
Speaker 1: To tell people love my Cat because he's so real on wraw with it.
Speaker 9: And then when we did part three, you know, I'm bringing Cat Williams in, bringing in Terry Crews.
Speaker 1: It just was.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's just it's just, uh, it's just a franchise people love and we want to do another one, but we got to do it right.
Speaker 3: There, question going there? You I hear this correct, It's going to be a last Friday with Smokey.
Speaker 1: And they that's what we want. We're still trying to get Chris to.
Speaker 3: Need the roll in that.
Speaker 4: I know this is very bad that I'm just throwing myself in there, but I think I think I belong just me in there. I could be the garbage man. I could be be the guy that picks up smoking I didn't do whatever because yeah, you know, I mean, I'm just such a fan of that.
Speaker 3: So it would be a last Friday with both of them, I hope.
Speaker 1: So you know, it's like I can't make Chris do it, but fans can you? Yeah, yeah, you know we do.
Speaker 4: I think you gotta right Russian over there to listen. Do be celebrating you tonight, ice Cla. You know, I don't know if you know about show what it is is. You know, when people in this music business, they got more than ten years, they try to kick us out. They try to say we're old, they try to say we washed up, But me, you if and we are prime examples that you can do whatever you want to do as long as you want to do it and continue to have fun. So tonight we are celebrating ice Cube and his luxurious career because I want to be the.
Speaker 5: East Coast version of ice Cube.
Speaker 4: People want to be jay Z and Puff and Nas and Snoop, and that's great.
Speaker 3: I love those guys.
Speaker 4: We ain't taking nothing from them, but I look, I feel like you're still having fun doing what you're doing I am man.
Speaker 1: You know, it's like I got into this as a fan.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 9: You know when I first started to just pay attention to hip hop, it was as a fan. And then to be able to do it, just to be able to rap, I felt like that was accomplishment. But to get this far with it with my career, you know, it's just like I feel like, uh, you know, God are smiling on me somewhere.
Speaker 1: What artists inspired you? Your penmanship is crazy? Oh man? Man, Artists like Meley Mail, Chuck d.
Speaker 9: Carras, One Iced T, Big Daddy Kane, who gets who don't get enough credit for being a lyricist. You know, these dudes were our giants. One DMC is like the blueprint of how you do it, you know. So you know I'm a fan of that school of mcs.
Speaker 3: Now fuck the Police, Yeah, did you know that?
Speaker 4: Twenty years later people still want to be saying you knew the police was never gonna get better.
Speaker 9: And I was hoping, I mean not I was hoping it would get better, but I was hoping people will still be rocking something.
Speaker 1: But it's a trip.
Speaker 9: When we was, when we had like laid our lyrics, you know, I was so into making the song that Wren looked over at me and was like, this one right here is gonna start some ship. For y'all knew it, Yeah, he he just gotta just a sense like this one right here is gonna start some ship. And every since he said that, it just put it on my radar. And it was so true because you know, that was before we released the record. After we released it, it was like.
Speaker 1: It was something you know that I still can't explain how because in the.
Speaker 4: Movie Electric Time, you guys was at the studio and they pulled you guys over in the studio.
Speaker 1: I used to sweat us at that studio all the time.
Speaker 9: I was just one incident because it was like a Mexican food spot right down the street we would walk to and then Torrence Police was on our neck, you know, because they just wasn't used to seeing dudes like us walking around looking like yeah, but were in the studio right here.
Speaker 1: Doing our things. So man, a lot, a lot, way more than in the movie.
Speaker 9: It's just one time in the movie, but we got it, you know, doing that whole record at least five six incidents.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 4: Now on tour, did it really happen like that when they said they told you not to perform that record.
Speaker 5: With us.
Speaker 1: He was on the t K was crazy. He was on that tour. They was. They would do it every city though.
Speaker 3: They would tell you don't perform this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they would. You know.
Speaker 9: We was coming after the Bastie Boys had come around and everybody was like, man, this rap tour stuff is crazy, you know, getting too out of hand. Then Bobby Brown went around the country just everywhere doing the most nasty sexy show you could do for R and B artists. So they was by the time NWA was tied them. Venues, police everybody, hotels were like was ready, Like, nah, man, we ain't having what y'all bringing. So before every show they would gather us up some you know, fat ass police would come with the.
Speaker 1: Ordinance of.
Speaker 9: Is it's basically saying, whatever these are loans, you don't know about that. We're pulling out our ass from eighteen.
Speaker 1: Seventy six on the sidewalk. If you do this, if you have.
Speaker 9: Seen on stage boom boom boom, we can't arrest You're not just in the Bible, bro, this is everywhere everywhere. Wow, So we're hearing that man, we hear that every night. We're getting tired of this. Man, it's harassment because we see rock and rollers and guns n' roses.
Speaker 1: They doing what the hell they want to do.
Speaker 9: So we was fed up and it just it all came together in Detroit that night, and uh, we just was like, man, we're gonna do it. And because we was like, man, it ain't gonna cause no ride, because they kept saying, you do this song, it's gonna cause a riote. You do the song, it's gonna cause a riot. Were like, come on, man, this hip I ain't even cause no damn right, And we did that song and it caused a damn ride.
Speaker 3: It's crazy down the whole time.
Speaker 9: The whole time when I'm performing, I'm like, oh, you know, this is getting out of hand right now, saying the crowd like, you know when it's sung, you know when it's and it's funk out in there and it's fighting and it's crazy, and yeah, it just kicked it off.
Speaker 4: Does ice Cube consider itself the original of one of the originators of gainst the rap?
Speaker 1: One of them?
Speaker 9: You know?
Speaker 4: But you gotta you gotta look at ice Tea iced T on the show who picked you up as well.
Speaker 3: You're one of his best friends.
Speaker 9: Tea man, you know he uh, he's the one who really said it was okay you know to put it on him and and and say, yo, you can say what you want to say, do what you want to do.
Speaker 1: And uh, you know he's an architect too.
Speaker 3: Sure, so are you. I keep listening to young the young boys.
Speaker 1: Or every now and then, you know, every now and then. You know, my wife, my kids put put me up on it, you know, and uh, it's all good.
Speaker 3: I was just curious. I was just curious. You know, what's what's your favorite song right now? Any song?
Speaker 1: Man, I ain't got no favor, ain't got no baby.
Speaker 3: Liking that.
Speaker 1: Uh, I'm liking that Big Seine. Okay, now you know, okay that's not that yeah like that.
Speaker 4: So now that you cock it the movie world like, uh, you you open the doors for people like me to live out my dream.
Speaker 3: We're hearing that you're doing the was it Big Three?
Speaker 1: The Big Three?
Speaker 3: The Big Three? Explain to us for those who that didn't know what the Big Three.
Speaker 9: The Big Three is a professional three on three basketball played by retired NBA players.
Speaker 3: But I'm here it's a full court, half court, half.
Speaker 9: Court, half court, three on three and you know how you know when dudes play three on three gets you get rough in there. So so we're gonna have dudes going hard. But you coaching you, I ain't coaching at all, just a founder. Okay, we don't have pro pros.
Speaker 1: It ain't for this. Ain't no celebrity game on a good.
Speaker 3: On a good day. You said you nice and basketball?
Speaker 1: Ain't that nice?
Speaker 5: Play with play in the game.
Speaker 1: I'm like, this, ain't no joke. Give me, okay, no mountain dew amateur.
Speaker 9: We have Alan Allen Iverson, Chauncey Biller, Jermaine O'Neill, Stephen Jackson, Lewis White, Ken Anderson. He gonna, uh, you know, some of them dudes got to go to the combine. We're gonna say what combines. We're gonna see what they got. They still got it, you know what I mean. Yeah, we're gonna put them through it. You know, you gotta have the game, just not the name.
Speaker 3: You know. So what does ice Cube like? Mare you like movies or music more?
Speaker 1: I love them both, you know, but music is my that's my baby, you know, That's what I could do whatever I want to do.
Speaker 9: When it comes to music, it's no meetings, no committee, no you know, a bunch of people. You know, with a movie, you got one hundred people working on one project, you know. But with a record, and I can work on one hundred records just one man if I want to.
Speaker 1: So you know, my records are more personal, I guess.
Speaker 3: Okay, Yeah, one of the illest collaborations.
Speaker 10: I think that people are acknowledged or give it as much problem as when you did America's Most Fondent with the Bomb spot Yeah, because.
Speaker 1: I remember back then there's no Internet.
Speaker 5: You go to the mall, You're going to the rapt car producers. Yeah, it's public in me.
Speaker 10: Yeah know what I'm saying. That's what made the sound, So you go. N w A is my favorite group at the time. I chose my favorite artist in n w A. Public Enemy is one of my favorite groups. I go in the store and you don't get internet, you don't get to know, and I see America's Most Wanted produced by the Bomb Squad.
Speaker 5: I nearly lost my mind.
Speaker 1: Yeah, those was my favorite producers. You know, I worked with Dre, but was the Bomb Squad.
Speaker 9: I met Chuck on tour, and when I left the group, I went up to Death Jam to look for a producer by the name of Sam Severn, who I worked with Third Base. Third Base album was out. They had dope beats on it. So Leoi was like, yo, I'll hook you up with Sam and the nigga. Sam never showed up to the meet and so I was like, so I'm bouncing. I'm leaving and coming down the halls. Chuck d Chuck's like, Yo, what you're doing here? I told him what was up. He was like, man, come to the studio. I'm doing the record tonight with Big Daddy. Came called Burn Hollywood, Burn you want if you want to be on it, if you want to be on it, come to the studio that let people know you solo. I'm like, Ship, I'm there, heard and did that record, and I was just telling him, and then Hank Shockley, Keith Shockley was in there and I was saying, y'all, you know, I'm leaving the group and I need to do my own album. I told her, I said, I said, I told everybody I was coming out here to get production. And they laughed at me, right, because that's what I heard that. They was like, what you in New York, She's gonna be whack. So when when when Hank, when Hank heard that, that turned him on. He was like what they laughed? I said, yeah, they laughed. They don't think I can get a record done out here. He was like, man, we do the whole record if you want.
Speaker 1: To A lot of songs, A lot of songs on that record.
Speaker 4: Did everything now now now we I can't tell me and my homies. Earlier was debate and that when you left NWA that it was them who took a shot at you.
Speaker 1: For Yeah, it was not you. No Americans want it. I don't say nothing about n w A right right, that's Arnold. Yeah that was. And then you came back with no Vacalline.
Speaker 9: I hit him a little bit with I hit him a little bit on the end of Jack and for Beats because I had a song called one hundred Miles and Running and uh so I just gave him a little little jab just to see what they would do. Then they kind of came out with a little more on on that Niggas for Life album, and then I was like, man, I'm going in.
Speaker 4: Probably record of all times and you know what else is great to see is that see you in common together?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, it's good man.
Speaker 9: It's cool to if you got to be for somebody, it's better to squash it, you know what I mean, It's better to squash it.
Speaker 1: So it was cool.
Speaker 9: You know, we had a misunderstanding years years ago, because I never knew what that started. It was just a misunderstanding, you know. And it's cool that we got past the grown Men style.
Speaker 3: But now, did you ever get to see the Tupac movie?
Speaker 1: No, I ain't seen it.
Speaker 3: What what was your relationship with Park?
Speaker 1: It was cool, you know, that was one of the homies.
Speaker 9: You know, I just looked at him as I look at you know, most of the guys that that's in the game that I'm cool with, you know, just one of the homies that.
Speaker 1: You know, it's kind of spiraled out of control.
Speaker 3: But yeah, definitely it's Cube doing another album. Of course, make the announcement.
Speaker 4: We got the name of the album, Everything's Corrupt, Everything's Corrupt, and now now it's Cube Independent or I'm wow, Jimmy, I Wow. That's the kind of like a three sixty, even though like Jimmy was death Row.
Speaker 3: He didn't have nothing to do with.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, he had nothing to do with n W. I don't even know. I don't even know if he was still at Yeah. Yeah, yeah, we just signed to deal with them.
Speaker 5: Do you think do you think the certificate gets us just due?
Speaker 1: I think that's one of the best albums in hip hop. Well, you know from fans, from people like you.
Speaker 9: We're gonna release the twenty fifth year Universary that next month, and I got three new songs on that, so it's gonna be cool to you know, put that album back there.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: This movie about summer vacation, Yeah, everybody say that.
Speaker 4: I heard you got a movie called vacation coming up with John It's called Vacation, Friends and Vacation.
Speaker 1: They still we're still putting it together. That's that's in the still in the infant stage.
Speaker 3: But it's filmed already.
Speaker 4: No, no, we haven't shot it yet because the writers Tim and Tom what the writer is They actually met with them and they was talking about the vacation.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: It was so totally dope, man, cute because I see your people are sickening us. You've gotta go, you know what I mean. But you know this is hip hop. These people they need to know.
Speaker 9: So what is next for Q though, Oh you know, just I got the hip hop squares coming out squares like with hip hoppers, you know.
Speaker 3: Wow, d Ray, they get sick. I'm here first listen.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna just be honest. We're in the industry that is full of fake people. So when I meet a real brother like you, when I sat down and we vibe that day, there's nothing more that I want to do is always just give you a person like you respect and continue because you know why, the older we get, the better we get, and the more that we should know that we should big up each other, us as not just black people, but us as hip hop because we're a part of a fraternity.
Speaker 3: It's bigger. It transcends race.
Speaker 4: It's bigger than just us just being black and let's just I'm being Puerto Rican and you being Cuban. It's bigger than that. We're all part of a hip hop fraternity. And if we don't continue to big each other up, they won't be nobody else. And your person that we got to continue to big up. You're continuously doing great work. I sat there and I watched that movie in awe, Like I was just like, wow, this ship was funny from the beginning, and like, how do you always get the tough guy roles?
Speaker 3: Do you request the tough guy roles?
Speaker 1: So they just come to you.
Speaker 9: People feel like you know, when you do a movie, you want, you got, you got, you got characters, and you got it.
Speaker 1: Like, yo, I see this person. That's that. I see that.
Speaker 9: You don't always get who you see, but you know, people you know put you in the category and start casting you on that level.
Speaker 3: That's so dope. And you know what else, I got a big up before you leave there.
Speaker 4: You know, I went to DJ Drama Studio because I had an interview real quick and you were there and I just watched. I was trying to hide and just keeep you and I see you rolling the Limo.
Speaker 3: Let's make some noise, Limo. That is some real, real nigga ship, Like you stuck with the Limo. You had a suburb.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you gotta jump into the issue security.
Speaker 3: You know, I really appreciated that.
Speaker 4: I really said there, And you know, listen, we really appreciate as you being both both of our favorite rappers and you know what you transition to is a great example for young hip hoppers period.
Speaker 3: Uh that period, it.
Speaker 4: Doesn't stop with hip hop. No, you know what I'm saying, Like you look at you look at uh uh what is it? Kenny Smith and Charles Barkley, they all set up a platform that after hip hop they can do something. But if it wasn't for you you started it first with Friday, and that we could actually still be relevant, still be out here, still do our things.
Speaker 3: You ain't got to change, no, And and you're a godfather that we got to make.
Speaker 9: Glad you're on the mic, man, Yeah, like you you know what I mean. Definitely need to be heard on the regular and uh as much love man.
Speaker 4: A million people who listen to us now, Thank you so much, cute, thank you so much more.
Speaker 3: Bro.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah m m hm