Speaker 1: Let's talk about it. Let's talk about the May Hero.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the man, Welcome back to the mail room. Jordan Runza joining me as always, such a great enjoyable time to hang out in the mailroom. We have an amazing guest today. Then I'm super pumped to introduce and I will just start by saying that that doctor Saxby is a clinical psychologist and professor of psychology at the University of Southern California.
Speaker 3: She's published over eighty scientific.
Speaker 2: Articles in peer review journals and secured more than three million in grant funding for her research, which is no small feat. As an academic physician and professor myself, I can tell you that is a lot of cash. So congratulations to her at that she's earned awards from the American Psychological Association and the Society for Research and Child Development.
Speaker 3: Was a fulbright fellow.
Speaker 2: Doctor Saxby's written for outlets diverse such as The New York Times, Oh, the Oprah Magazine, and Scientific America. Now that's an interesting Vinn diagram as well, to see how many people are published in Scientific American, New York Times and Oh, She's also been consultant on best selling books, including Eve Rodzky's fair Play. She received her PhD in clinical psychology from UCLA Go Bruins and her BA in English and Psychology from Yale University. So it's absolute joy to have Professor Saxby on today. And you know, I didn't know until I read her book, which, by the way, is amazing. The book that is coming out on June ninth is called Dad Brain. Everybody needs to buy it, download it, listen to it. Books, as a as a there it is is beautiful. As an author of a book that I put out a few years ago, there is nothing more sad and lonely than sitting and writing. And then her book is just so much fun to read. It's engaging, and she's totally a rockstar that in all senses of the words. She hangs out plays in a band and Joan, I was thinking, maybe what we'll do is because it's about dads and the kia true the psychology of dads. We're going to really dig deep into this. But it got me thinking because of our love for music, that how are you, by the way, Jordan, what's up with you?
Speaker 3: Man? Are you good? Your dad good.
Speaker 4: Good.
Speaker 5: I am great. I am I'm so excited. I mean anytime psychology and music or two of my twin loves. So I am so excited for today.
Speaker 3: Nice. Yeah, And your dad's good and everything's going on.
Speaker 4: Dad.
Speaker 5: Dad is good. Yeah, that is very good. He's planning he's going on a trip to Japan very soon, which I'm very jealous about.
Speaker 3: So he's great.
Speaker 5: He's doing better than me.
Speaker 3: So did he get you into music? I mean, how did your how did your music thing go with your dad?
Speaker 5: You know, it's funny, my dad never stopped listening to new music, you know how you kind of get frozen in the music of your upbringing. And he grew up in the sixties and early seventies, and he never stopped listening. He's always just a voracious music listener. So growing up in the early nineties, he would play you know, Nirvana and Elanasmore Second Jagged Little Pill and uh terri Amos and Fiona Apple and.
Speaker 3: And something.
Speaker 5: Yeah and so, and he played all the stuff around the house and so and I never really connected with it. And then it was seeing the movie Back to the Future and seeing Marty McFly play Chuck Berry where I had the reaction that all the people of my parents generation did, which is what is this music?
Speaker 6: What is this like?
Speaker 5: I mean, it was all, you know, very simple, three chord kind of blues progressions and stuff.
Speaker 3: But I loved it.
Speaker 5: So I would like to say that my dad taught me how to be a music fan.
Speaker 4: But I think the.
Speaker 5: Music that I loved was stuff I kind of came to on my own. I've gotten oldies basically as almost like a form of rebellion.
Speaker 4: I was kind of like the Alex P.
Speaker 5: Keaton to think of Michael J.
Speaker 3: Fox again in my family.
Speaker 5: But yeah, so he he's the passion for music came from him, But I think I found it kind of.
Speaker 3: On my own. But what about you, well, Darby?
Speaker 2: Well, I could ask Darby because her dad, like me, was a surgeon and a tuba player. So, by the way, welcome to the freaking mail room. It's so great to have you here. So cool that too, Angelina was just hanging out talking. But tell me about tell me about your musical influences growing up with your dad and the tuba.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, so my dad played the tuba, He played the double belled euphonium. He also played bukulele, So I was just telling these guys. I learned ukulele from my dad and he was a huge music fan, so he had lots of records. He loved folk music, so a lot of Scottish music, Irish folk music. But I would listen to his Beatles records, which I was obsessed with. And then I was also like Jordan, I was kind of an oldies nerd, so I would listen to I grew up in Ohio. I would listen to Cleveland WMJI, which was like the oldies radio station in Ji Magic Wmji. So and so I loved fifty in sixties music. I still love it. I love girl group music, I love the Sure, I love early Beatles, British Invasion, like Herman's, Hermits.
Speaker 3: Like all that.
Speaker 2: Why yeah, I mean the King's is probably one of my They were one of my favorite bands.
Speaker 4: Love the Kings.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So that's like yeah.
Speaker 4: So for a long time I was a snob that never wanted to hear anything made before nineteen seventy. But then later in high school college I got into kind of nineties indie rock and I love the band Guide to my Voices and nice and was you know, was in bands in college and then after college, and then I married a music producer so that I could vicariously live around bands at all times. Yeah, and I play in a band that is me and four other moms.
Speaker 3: That is too cool.
Speaker 4: We gig around town.
Speaker 3: I play guys.
Speaker 2: Do you guys ever play any premise and bring your dad on stage for the two.
Speaker 4: I don't know for our bass player. I mean, she's very good. I don't know if she can't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I love it.
Speaker 2: That's so good. Well, I mean, we're gonna have too much fun. This is totally cool. And I just got to say generally, my you know, my comments on your book Dad Brain Again, coming out June ninth, is it's just so approach, just delightfully approachable, high level science, and it's very digestible. And that's, you know, kind of what I always do, writing, speaking and anything, is just making something really complicated, very understandable and for God's sakes fun. I mean, you're just you're not showing off, You're having so much fun of the writing. You're just dropping jokes left and right, and it's just it's just great. So I'm super excited for our listeners to to be able to pick up a copy of that book June ninth, and uh, and it's just, you know, you're so deeply personal, but you didn't have to overshare, which is kind of rare in this day and age and in the tell all zkay. So so anyway, congrats on that. I would love for you to just kind of give us your creation story in the background. I mean, you do it in the book a little bit. So obviously I don't want to have any spoiler alerts, but tell me about, you know, how you started in this research, how you got into using dads as your you know, as your Diane Fosse's you know, how did you not end up in Africa studying other primates and it's dead studying the dad breaking.
Speaker 4: That's right, it was I was too lazy to travel across the world, so I focused on humans instead. But yeah, I grew up kind of watching my dad go through his own transformation. So my parents got divorced when I was about nine. I tell the story in the book, But he got joint We did joint custody. He had soul custody at first because she moved out and so he was just alone with me and my siblings and kind of fending for himself as someone who had been pretty checked out of parenting before, like a typical eighties dad, right like working and coming home and not necessarily totally hands on, and he just over time kind of rose to the occasion and became this fantastic, really nurturing, really attentive father figure. And so kind of watching his change in transformation made me interested in fatherhood in general, because it's just so variable, and I think in science you always want to look at phenomena that vary because that's where the interesting chance to find something is. And so as I went to college and grad school, I was always interested in relationships and studied families and always with a focus on what's going on with the fathers and what is kind of helping the fathers get online and get involved in parenting, and you know, hence my lands research and hence ultimately writing this book.
Speaker 2: So put your dad in your functional MRI pre and post that transformation. So let's talk about the brain and neuroscience a little bit. You know, so dad won before that transformation happened, walk us through his brain scan what areas of the brain were lighting up, and then post transformation.
Speaker 3: What we're lighting up?
Speaker 4: Oh this is interesting. Yeah, I'm sure if I my dad is going to listen to this and say, you got my brain all wrong.
Speaker 2: Well, he's a surgeon, so we're always right. So that's part of the problem.
Speaker 4: No, he'll say, I need to cut into it to see I just can't just take a picture. That's what it's that.
Speaker 3: That's what radiologists are for.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like if I don't have a scalpel, you know, it means nothing. But you know, like I said, pretty typical eighties dad, so you know, always loving, but not necessarily really focused on us and what we needed from moment to moment. And you know, when I talk about the parenting brain, I often say, think about what happens in the first few seconds after a child cries and I promise I'll get back to my dad. But you think about what functions you sort of have to turn on in that first You know, those first moments, you have to hear the sound of a cry and orient to it. So you need your salience detection, you need your emotion perception. You might need to problem solve a strategy for soothing that child, so you need your executive functioning, and you need to modulate your distress in order to be helpful. So you need your emotion regulation, and most importantly, you need your reward because you need to be motivated to keep engaging with that child again and again, even when they're being aversive like crying. And so you think about those parts of the brain that are so key to parenthood. You're talking about the mentalizing network, social cognition, empathy and emotion, perception and regulation, and then motivation and reward. And so I think those are all the parts that would be kind of tuned up in my dad were we to do that in post scan that we did with the dads in my lab at USC.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, okay, so definitely there's there's going to be changes pre and post And I'm just gonna do some quotes because you just had such great quotes, and so this is along the lines we're talking about in brain changes.
Speaker 3: So here's the line.
Speaker 2: This is really when the first few pages of your book, Adolescence is a time of discovering opportunities and forging new connections. So brain changes that facilitate risk taking serve those goals, even if it means that teenagers occasionally do things like pierce their own ears or light tennis balls on fire. Okay, so that second impost of behavior is way too specific to not have some kind of personal context. And also I may bring up eurologists that you have to unpack. Not me, but other eurologists that have done their own visectomies. So adult asked urologists, not like you know, these are board certified thirty five forty year old guys, what region of the dad brain allows us to do our own visectomies? So that's that's a two part question. Burning tennis, Well, I got to hear the story.
Speaker 4: As you probably saw, I grew up playing with the sectomy needles. My dad would bring them home and they would they were like these pens that would just get like insanely hot, and so you could like carve your name in a piece of furniture. Oh many times I would burn a single strand of my hair, like you could watch it go up in flames. Like for some reason, my dad thought this was good, clean fun. Right Like here, kids, I've got a whole drawer full of these things, So it's like, what could go wrong? It's like, don't use them on your hands. And and then I would carve my name in cassette tapes like you could.
Speaker 3: I was.
Speaker 4: I would collect cassettes and you could write your name or you could write the band. So so we did that. But the burning tennis balls, I mean, I'm from small town, Ohio. There was not a lot to do growing up, so you know, I remember friends like getting cans of w D forty and lighters and just doing fite where they sprayed each other. Not a good idea. There was also a lot of like piling into the back of Todd Bailey's pickup truck, and like driving snow drifts. Yep, you could knock people off into the snow. So again not advisable. Tennis Balls on fire make a satisfying sound, but do not try this at home.
Speaker 2: So sometime after twenty five or twenty six and our judgment starts to solidify and we burn off some of those excess unnecessary neurons that would cause us these impulsive behaviors. Yeah, did you have bannocka bread spray? Did you ever do the human blowtorch? Do you know what I'm talking about? Either one of you guys?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: Oh man, this is so there was a snuff.
Speaker 2: It was came in like a little It was about the size of a tube of chapstick or lipstick, and it was breath spray that you know, it was just procure alcohol and you could buy it over the counter. And so if you sprayed enough of this, and if my parents are listening, they're probably horrified and their sons still here. But you could spray enough in your and then hold a cigarette lighter and then breathe fire with Banaka breastpray. So instead of lighting tennis balls on fire, yeah, I could have lit my entire face on fire. I mean, not me, but some of my friends. Yes, the jaw drops I'm getting in this shape.
Speaker 5: I'm looking it up right now, which is what that says about.
Speaker 2: Okay, So now this is bad because if this goes on TikTok, I'm intro.
Speaker 3: This not a challenge. This is not a challenge.
Speaker 2: Please do not download this episode, buy the book, Stay away from the Banaca breastpray human torch. But yeah, impulsive behaviors that that that definitely we hope we cast off.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I'm trying to understand it.
Speaker 2: You had a whole great section in this in your book about the difference between biologic father brains non biologic adopted, and I don't think I'll ask you about the sperm donor dads or dads conceived obviously the sperm donor. You know, if a tree falls in the force, no one's around to hear it, then it probably doesn't make a sound. So the sperm donors probably don't have much of a change in their brain because I don't know, right.
Speaker 3: But maybe they do.
Speaker 2: We can talk about that as well, But talk to me about the differences between because you also have an experience, you know, with a step dad as well, So let's unpack that just for all the non traditional, non biologic families. As I'm an expert in male fertility and so there's a lot of different ways to become a dad and a lot of different genders involved in this as well, which you do a beautiful job of talking about with your neighbor. I believe who's trans masculine that you know, that's a whole nother thing. I mean, I would love to get into that too, But yeah, walk me through that part of our brain and at I mean, the differences between biologics and non biologic dads.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I think the real bottom line is, and I say this in the book Great Fathers Are Made, not born, it's really through caring and practice and repetition and getting to know our baby that we're kind of building that sensitive parenting brain. So I think it's really important. Like we often kind of reify like the first hour after childbirth as this like magic opportunity to create a bond, and if you miss it, you're just out of luck, and that's not really the case. You know, that first hour can be really magical. It can also be scary or disappointed, there medically complex, and yes, you know, I think totally like people often feel, oh no, I sort of missed this window. And you know, in fact, like I had a professor in grad school that used to say, anything that's so important to human survival is going to be overlaid with lots of different redundant mechanisms. So it's like you miss the first hour, you have lots of other opportunities to kind of forge that bond, to have that hormonal connection, that closeness, you know. In addition to looking at adoptive dads, I also talked to a father who was in jail for the first years of his kid's life, right, Like, you can miss those windows and still create this really meaningful relationship. And in part that's because we have these sophisticated human brains that let us do higher order social cognition. So we don't just have to smell our baby to care for them. You know, we're able to kind of think and be intentional and create that bond kind of from the outside in. So you know, what's going on with the brain is still in some ways a question mark. There have only been a handful of studies, and this is there's so many gaps in the literature, but only a handful of studies looking at adoptive and foster parents. But the one I think really the high quality study that we have from Israel looked at adoptive gay fathers and found that they showed really similar brain responses as heterosexual biological parents. And in fact, they found that the primary caregiver adoptive male father in the gay mal couples showed really similar responses to the baby as the mom in the heterosexual biological parent couples and the secondary caregiver. Like they asked the gay dads, who's primary, who's secondary caregiver? The secondary caregiver looked a lot like the dads in the heterosexual couples. So it's like, wow, it's our parental role that kind of changes the brain versus like we're built with a brain that you know, if you're a mom is going to look this way and if your a dad is going to look this way. I think the bottom line is humans are flexible and adaptable and that is what makes us resilient.
Speaker 3: No, I love that.
Speaker 2: Now you remind me that the smell of a newborn's babyit what was that bono lyric Freedom has a smell like the top of a newborn baby's head or something?
Speaker 3: Is that? You guys know that lyric, isn't it? Something like? Got it?
Speaker 2: So like every time I hear the newborn, I'm like, yes, you get that if you've been a you know, a parent, and you there's something about that head that I don't you know. My brain is lighting up now just remembering, Yeah, you know my two boys twenty one and twenty seven years ago.
Speaker 3: That's so great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, talk about brains and dad brains and you know you made a comment about the there's something about dad brains losing about one percent of their prenatal I.
Speaker 3: Guess is the right word volume is that? Is that per kid?
Speaker 2: I mean, is that we have to worry about Elon Musk or somebody that you know that has thirty five kids as he lost thirty five walk me through the math on that one. Or Eddie Murphy or Philip Rivers, you know. I mean, I worry about these multi dads out there, and they're they're gray matter loss.
Speaker 4: It's funny when the gray matter loss study came out, we got some headlines and it got posted on x and Elon muck reposted it like my brain must be tiny. He agrees with you, although you know, he's probably a good example of a father who's not doing a ton of day to day hands on care with the of his kids. And so again it's really it's that care. I think that's remodeling the brain and not just that biological connection or that paternity. So we don't totally know what is happening with multiple kids. There's actually one study that just came out out of the Netherlands that's looking at this in moms. They looked at brain changes in second time moms and they found some kind of additive changes like the brain is continuing to shrink, but then some rebound. So it's a little bit of a mix with the second time parents but with the first time dads. What we found is there is about one percent of gray matter volume seems to be lost. And as I try very carefully to explain in the book, that sounds bad, it's not necessarily a bad thing. It could reflect this kind of adaptive streamlining or remodeling that is making the brain ultimately more efficient, like the social brain.
Speaker 2: It's getting rid of the tennis ball on fire and banoca mouth torch.
Speaker 3: Parts of the brain need that gray matter in the first place.
Speaker 4: So all the dumb parts, yeah, all.
Speaker 3: The dumb parts.
Speaker 2: I just realized, you know, ten minutes into this or so, that you have a live cat behind you on your blanket. That is what a prop I mean, You've you've got a strat over there and uh on one side and a cat on the other shoulder.
Speaker 3: It's beautiful.
Speaker 4: I promise I did not curate this space very much. But he loves He's like somehow whenever I'm on a call, it's like a magnet for him.
Speaker 3: I love it effortless.
Speaker 4: He's like I get in frame.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, all right, So we're going to hit balls and testosterone pretty hard, because you know that's that's my job as urologist.
Speaker 3: This is what I do.
Speaker 2: And uh, we have a lot of discussion about testosterone on on this on this podcast, so super excited to unpack what you.
Speaker 3: Think about that.
Speaker 2: And I have to I mean, I don't I don't mean to sound like as a as a surgeon of anything that I should commend you on your knowledge. And but you did such a great explanation of testa's volume, and as there's reading it, I was looking for something to tea and say, no, she's wrong, but you're you mean everything you're right, is it's perfect that the the you know, the testicle by volume is eighty plus percent sperm production and then the rest is kind of light exelf function, which is testosterone production. And so you have this this the discussion or study in there about the bigger the ball, the smaller the brain. And so that seems counterteuitive because we're talking about fertility. Then you know you want bigger testicles, you would think at least because that would predict, you know, higher chance of fertility. But then somehow there's a selective advantage for having smaller brains and bigger balls. So so you know, for all our guys that now are that are kind of crossing their legs and that you know, thinking they're going to do a nut check here, talk to us about balls and brains.
Speaker 4: Yes. Yeah, So this is one of my favorite studies and it wasn't done by me. It was done by Jim Relank, who's a researcher at Emory who has studied dad brains and this is one of his early studies. So they scan the men's brains and then they basically were like, okay, now, just kind of scoot down a little bit in the machine. And then they scanned their testicles. It's like you're already in the MRI, right, like, just just move a little and and so they got both and so they were able to calculate testes volume, and then they related that to the brain responses to child and and sort of partner stimuli. So they did a series of studies, not just the ball studies, but a bunch of studies where they showed men kind of sexually attractive women. They also showed them baby stimuli and they looked at kind of differential activation to baby over women so it's kind of Oh, it's a way of looking at like mating effort versus reproducing, sorry, like mating effort versus like caretaking effort. So it's like we evolved to want to have offspring and keep them alive. And you can almost separate those two jobs into two different buckets. So we need to seek out mates, we need to compete for status. That's sort of a testosterone driven process. And then once we successfully mate, we need to invest time in nurturing and caretaking. And so he found a correlation between the ball size and the responses the kind of differential responses to those stimuli.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's cool. And along those lines, I got to talk about Gettler's work in the Philippines because I remember when that came out years ago, I was over ten years, I can't remember, but I was interviewed by kind of the usual men's health esquire GQ about you know, hey, mails, what do you think about you know, newborn dads and tea levels going down? And is this a bad thing? And then there was some thought that it's because if our don't our tea levels don't go down, we're like alligator dads that eat half of our offspring. And because how gator tea levels are up, right, there's a whole thing, and I this is the only place where I have to like, you know, get more out of you in terms of this, because you know, when we talk about low testosterone pathologically, we talk about primary where it's testicular failure, the test was not making the testoster or secondary where there's a problem in the pituitary the hypothalamus where they're not getting the signal the balls are not getting the signal to make tea right. And so, as a a dad of two, and I will say that there's about a seven year separation between our kids, not because of any shenanigans other than the fact that our first didn't really have a good night's sleep until he was about six years old.
Speaker 3: So we so we took a little gap, like how can we do this again?
Speaker 2: And I was a surgical resident, so I probably slept about one hundred hours and six years, right, So I'm like, well, of course my tea was low because I never slept, so my l ahe was probably undetectable. And so tell me about you know, you do a good job of it. But you know, in the book so again, you guys got to read it, but tell me how this isn't just like poor sleep in newborn dads and that there's some selective mechanism against you know, wanting to thridle our kids for crying too hard or something, which of course tragically does happen as well. But uh, but but talk to me about that is there should we know what the LH levels are and f s H and all the because you do an awesome drove about octytocin prolacting all of those hormones.
Speaker 3: But yeah, anyway, literally.
Speaker 4: Yeah, test I was excited to talk to you about the testosterone chapter because I know that's your that's your home turf. So yeah, so you mentioned Lee Getler's work. So his work is really interesting because it kind of unpacks this chicken egg test, this chicken egg question about parenting and testosterone, which is, you know, we know that partnered fathers tend to have lower TEA than single men, and the question is is it that lower T men are selecting into parenthood because you know, they are just more motivated to be in families, or is it that there's something about becoming a parent that's changing our testosterone. So he found that, you know, it was the opposite, so it was actually higher team men were more likely to become parents. Like he followed this sample of men in the Philippines over a very long period of time and looked at tea, you know, multiple time points. So higher testosterone men were more likely to become partnered fathers, but then their testosterone dropped after becoming fathers, and it was a fairly significant job in the first few years. Is it just sleep deprivation. I think it's probably a little bit more than that, although sleep definitely plays a huge role in you know, everything related to parenting in the brain and biology. But you know, we also know from looking at a lot of different animal models that they're these kind of adaptive shifts in testosterone around the birth of a child. So a lot of the research was done in birds, looking at them around breeding season. Testoterone levels are high when birds are looking for a mate. They tend to drop as soon as, you know, eggs are being incubated. And in human males we also see drops in testosterone even before the baby's born, so you know, even during the partner's pregnancy, you know, it seems like it is serving this function of you know, first of all, just like your motivations are different. If you just think about your evolutionary history, you need to focus your energy on nurturing investing in offspring rather than on how can I spread my seed as widely as possible. So the kind of competition status seeking just isn't as essential in the early years of being a new dad, right, And so you know, I think of it as like it's not that he is bad or low T is good or anything like that. It's more just we want flexible hormones that are kind of shaped by context, and we want to be able to sort of adapt to our circumstances and that's healthy.
Speaker 2: So you know, we're both scientists, we both research and do publications, and and your your whole section on the mental health aspects of low testos, I think is so critical because we we talk a lot about mental health and guys on this in this podcast. Now, we're not always great at seeking help when we need it, And what do you think of the study? So the mental there's a mental health thing that we really don't understand with T levels and with and you just you just kind of alluded to it there with even before baby is born, and ostensibly maybe the guy's still sleeping, maybe he's a little stressed. You know, do you know semble the car seat right, has he gone through the thirty second drill and being able to get the car seat in the car snapping it in lock lock? But in general, you know, the tea levels go down probably independent of sleep. How could we design a study where we look at my guys in my fertility practice, so they come to me, I optimize their fertility they're pregnant. Yeah, it works, and I would collect you know, pituitary hormones tea levels on them all three trimesters first, second, and third and then post natal, and then correlate that to mental health questions like the PHQ nine. I mean, how do we design that study so we can actually get some definitive errio logic evidence about the effect of testosterone on parenting as well as on mental health.
Speaker 4: Yes, so are you inviting me to collaborate?
Speaker 3: I am, it is a total it's on it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's on our invitation that I think there's so much to unpack on the neuro behavioral side of testosterone and we live in different silos that yes, we're doing this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we need bigger data sets, and yeah, we need more longitudinal work. So my lab did do a study where we looked at men's testosterone related to their depression, and we were looking specifically at postpartum depression, and we found that there was this actually we looked at both moms and dads, and there was this interesting kind of double edged sword effect where new dads we got their T levels at about nine months postpartum. Ones who had lower testosterone reported more symptoms of depression, but women who had partners with higher testosterone reporting what postpartum depression. And when we tested mediation model, it was fully mediated through their partner relationship quality. So women who were married to higher testosterone men in the postpartum period were less happy in their relationship and that made them report higher or postpartum depression. So it's like what's good for the goose is not good for the gander. It's you know, the finding was low testosterone was seemed to be a mental health risk factor for men, which I'm guessing you find in your practice as well. But you also don't necessarily want to be too high because there could be downstream effects on the family context. Yeah, and that's what Yeah, sorry, go ahead.
Speaker 3: No, no, please finish your.
Speaker 6: I was going to say.
Speaker 4: We also found the higher testosterone dads reporting more parenting stress and their partners reported more intimate partner aggression. So things weren't quite going well in the couple relationship. Men's tea was maybe a little too high.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I have work to do, because you know, we do. We use a lot of a medication called klomothin or clomothin situated, which is it's great for boosting It was not great, but it's you know, it's empiric off label for boosting sperm production, but because it works at the level of the pituitary land, essentially gas lights of ptutary to make more sperm and as a side effect, make more testosterone. So if a guy comes in, even if it's test obstran is kind of low normal but his oligo, spermacer sperm couns are low, I'll put them on clone within because obviously, you know, I want them to initiate a bringancy, but thereby I'm also putting them on higher levels. I'm giving them high levels of tea. So I would love to I got to see about this, and yeah, so definitely, we'll offline. Uh, I think we should do this because I think there's a lot of data and then you know, I'll get great serological data for you. You design, you tell me what you know, questionnaires we need to answer and and then yeah, we're gonna we're gonna do something cool, fantastic usc working together at that but it could never be done.
Speaker 3: So there you go, Runs and Trojans. Well, that's yeah.
Speaker 2: My son's starting medical school down there in the fall, so I have to be crossed down quite a bit. I don't have to be, but if he invites me, I'll come. So yeah, yes, that's right. We we also do this section on all of with all of our experts. We we sort of informally call you're probably going to be okay, And so I think it's time in our conversation for me to give you a scenario and you tell me about this guy and if he's going to be okay, And it goes into what we don't what I actually had never even heard of until I read your book, which is about the male side of postpartum mood disorders, and you know, my own personal journey's but with both kids, is that you know, really young dads, especially with moms that are able to breastfeed. Is that, you know, I feel kind of useless other than changing diapers and getting up in the night and kind of rocking a calicky baby. You know, I don't think I ever had any postpartum mood disorder other than like, you know, I mean, I could get hit by a bus tomorrow and this kid is going to be okay. But but no, that's not common. I mean, there are a lot of guys that do suffer through some postpart of mood disorder. So so I'll give you a patient. I probably just saw somebody like this last week in my practice. He's thirty four years old. He's a new dad, his first kid, and he's overjoyed. Like first couple of days are like, oh my god, I'm smelling this baby's head. It smells like freedom. This is the most amazing thing. And then like he just starts breaking down and uncontrollably crying and slapping his face to like, you know, guy, I'm a guy. I can get through this. I don't need any help. I'm a stoic. But then he feels guilty. You know that I don't really care. I mean this diaper stinks, you know, and I just changed it in an hour ago and now I got to change it again. But yet at the same time, he's conflicted because like, if there was a grenade that rolled into the room, he would jump on it to save the kids. So walk me through this guy's he gonna be okay? How normal is this? What are the red flags? What are the warning signs when somebody a man is suffering from essentially a post partum depression.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so he's gonna be okay, But sounds like something to keep an eye on. And you know, it's normal to feel just depressed and conflicted after a baby's born. I mean, you said, for a lot of dads, they may feel like they just aren't that important, and that's that's a weird feeling, right, It can kind of strain the couple relationship, like the dynamics of the relationship are really changing. Everybody's got different priorities. And you're also totally sleep deprived, and you know, you're maybe panicked because you are suddenly in charge of this tiny little thing that you are still learning how to take care of, and the rewards of parenthood haven't necessarily shown up yet. You know, babies aren't smiling in the first few months, so it's like that social feedback that you get from a cute, chubby, smiley baby that that takes a little while to really kick in. That the sort of fun part. And so a lot of new parents struggle. And that doesn't necessarily mean it's a clinical problem. It could just be normal kind of baby blues. But we know hormones are changing too, and that's true for women, that's true for men as well. The brain is changing, so there may be heightened risk because there's all this plasticity and transformation kind of happening. And for dads, I think it's less visible. You know, you see that a woman is pregnant, it's very obvious that her life is changed. We have a lot of social rituals around the transition into motherhood. A lot of men don't even get asked by their primary care physician whether they're a new dad. So it's just like men's health doesn't really consider fatherhood in the same way. It's sort of like this missing piece of the puzzle, and a lot of men are either reluctant to admit that they might be struggling or to ask for help. And then another tricky thing is that depression can show up differently in men than it kind of women. Postpartum depression can look different, So it might not be sadness and uncontrollable weeping. It might be irritability with drawing, not wanting to hold the baby, feeling checked out, feeling numb. You know, all of those can be hallmarks of kind of more male type postpartum depression. And a guy might tell himself, I'm just a crappy father, like I'm not cut out for this, and that might be reinforced by his partner. So I think that's where the risky cascade can start to kick in, where the dad is pulling away, the couple is struggling, and then you know, the depression is creating all these other negative consequences too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we got to get a little airtime to probably what prompted you to title your book Dad Brain, and that is Dad Bought, which we all know you have an interesting take on it because you know, as a male men's health optimizing specialist, you know, I'm like, dude, you got to get rid of that spare tire.
Speaker 3: It's not good for your kids.
Speaker 2: I write about it in my book that you know, when my kid was young, and the minute he could get into a jog stroller, I'd put him in the stroller. I'd run five miles to a playground, let him play, turn around, run five miles back so that we all got to bond. I got a little bit of a ten mile workout in and he you know, he got to play on the monkey bars. And so I you know, I fought against both of my kids. Ever getting a dad bought is kind of bad for my brand.
Speaker 3: Too, I guess.
Speaker 2: But you're saying it's not so bad like that there is a cotive advantage to have a little spare tire, so yeah, unpack that for us.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So I think it's one of those things that also is really all about context.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 4: So, like I talked to Lee Getler about this. He studies hunter gatherers. He's like, these guys look like CrossFit athletes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, foraging.
Speaker 4: And they're you know, out moving out all day, right, So for them, that change in hormones and some of the things that are driving waking in the postpartum period, if anything comes with an advantage, right, they can use a little extra reserve. So you know, but if you're in an obesigenic environment like contemporary society, then it gets a little more complicated in terms of health implications. But yeah, this is one of those things that I think everybody jokes about, but there is some real science there that you know, even in biparental mammals, not just humans, you see an increase in size and you know, weakaing in the paranatal period, and it may be an adaptation that just helps us be more imposing, you know, we have a larger physical presence. It may be that, you know, if you're biparenal, you have to pick up and participate in care. You may just sorry, that's my dog, love it.
Speaker 3: No, he can.
Speaker 4: Someone is coming in and he's desperate to jump on them Chichen Seeker exactly. Yeah, and I'm actually I didn't even know he was here. He's been weirdly quiet this whole so he was just waiting for his moment.
Speaker 3: Everybody's welcome on the mail room.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but but just to start over with that, Yeah, like biparental mammals also seem to gain weight, and it may be that you need some reserves so that if you know, if there's the threat of famine, you can survive longer to provision your offspring.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and give kidah, give your your your kidieats first y. Yeah. And then the opposite.
Speaker 2: I love, just from a personal perspective, the idea of of kids making you healthier in that. I remember my dad, who's in his heart smoking, heart drinking journalist of the sixties and seventies, that that we whenever we got in the car with him or old I was like a sixty eight or sixty nine AMC Hornet and we would drive from Washington, d C. To Iowa, I think a fourteen hour Drive'd be smoking cigarettes in the car and my brother and I at one point just had it and we were pretending to have the coughing paroxysms in the back choking, and that was it. He put out his last cigarette and never looked back. And so I always feel that that was my first doctoring when I was about three years old. As my dad the kind of willpower to go from properly started smoking when he was still a teenager and a CUB reporter and all the way through all of his international assignments, and then one day his kids were like, you're killing his dad, and this was night. This is barely after the search in general, right, this was nineteen seventy two, seventy three. So I love that, And I think that for guys and dads listening out there, that the influence of your kids have on you to be better. So I guess I'm I'm asking my dad to be grateful for my brother and me telling him to, you know, to quit smoking at that age.
Speaker 3: But talk about that as well.
Speaker 2: I guess, you know, in terms of the research that goes into that, is it just sort of like I have to be here or I was so good at pro creating once that I want to make sure I can procreate again. Or talk to me about the neuroscience of showing up for your kids.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly, you know. It's it's that chapter. The health men's health chapter has some bad news for dads, like the waking sleep loss. So I really wanted to end on a happy note. It works, you know, I don't want the book to disawait men from wanting to be parents. So you know, we joked my editor and I that the original tagline was like how fatherhood will make you fatter, sleepier, sadder, and you know, but but there is a lot of good news there too.
Speaker 3: You want to sell a couple of books probably exactly like no.
Speaker 4: One wants to buy a book about you know, how fatherhood is going to slow you down. But but there are a lot of upsides, and one is that we see health behavior and yeah, like quitting smoking, drinking less, getting in fewer fights. You know, there's all this evidence in late life that you know, being single is a real risk factor, especially for men. So social isolation is linked with all cause mortality in older men. And part of it is that social integration and sort of having someone that you're accountable for and feeling like, you know, there are these kids who are going to have bear the consequences of my health behavior choices. And I think a lot of smart public health people are starting to plug into that, Like, you know, there's an effort in Brazil to get young men into the healthcare system around the birth of their first child by getting them to come to prenatal visits, and then that becomes a time to get a check up for them too, because it's like this is a potential window of change where you can start to intervene and help men kind of get on a better course with substance abuse and health behaviors.
Speaker 2: That's brilliant actually, because yeah, we're constantly looking and we do a lot of men's health advocacy and potentially even on the federal level where we're looking at codifying an Office of Men's Health, and we're always talking what is that carrot?
Speaker 3: What is that incentivizer?
Speaker 2: And it's interesting because I in my practice, I use the vasectomy visit actually as a.
Speaker 3: Way for a guy to come into they're done having kids.
Speaker 2: And you know, when I train my residence, my fellows, they'll come out and I say, well, you know, what's his blood pressure, what's this kolonoscopy status, what's in you know, the beginning of the year, when they're training, they don't ask anything related to their health, and then by the end they realize this is a perfect screening opportunity when the guy's thirty five, to make sure you know that he knows what the metrics are to doing that. So so right, even intervening earlier where guys in that you know, maybe multiinatal period.
Speaker 3: I love that. Another cool thing from Brazil.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, and I think a lot of men you probably know this better than I do, but don't always interface with the health system as much, or they might be reluctant to get care. So it's like grabbing those opportunities. It's really smart. Yeah, window that they're already there and they're invested.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh so cool.
Speaker 2: I do want to time for the section where I always talk about, you know, what do you do to make you you? So we're really into when I have experts on for my listeners to discuss, you know, Darby, when you wake up in the morning, before you take care of all you're taking care of and your research and your lab and your students and your kids forgetting hiss sake, what is it that makes you you?
Speaker 3: That's like the non negotiable that you have to do? Oh wow.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So I actually go with my husband. We do a boot camp class a few times a week, which is really fun because it's like the only time we get to chat and all the trainers make fun of us. It's like a group class and they're like, you guys are chit chatting the whole time, Like do some exercise socializing. Yeah. So that's been like a we started doing that a couple of years ago. That's been good for fitness, but also just to have some hangout time. And like we talked about, love music, love playing guitar, love listening to music. I like going to shows, and I also love to read and I love fiction. You know, I'll read anything. I always have a big pile of books going, but I like to read right before I fall asleep at night. That's like one of the things that calms me down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, me too, Yeah, I always do that. When I was in med school, I always would read some scientific journal, but I always have a novel that was just just for me. Which is why you're such an amazing writer, because you're you're constantly reading so that it makes perfect sense. Jordan, what did I miss? What do you have for Professor Shasby?
Speaker 5: You've written that the modern fatherhood is in flux. What socio economic changes have you think do you think of influenced this shift the most in expectations for dads.
Speaker 4: Yeah, great question. Yeah, because we really have seen these dramatic changes in men's daily time with kids, like just much more involvement in handsle on childcare time. I mean, clearly, women entering the workforce has just been a seismic shift for families. And you know, women always worked throughout human history. You know, we forget that most of our heritage is as hunter gatherers or later as subsistence farmers. Like women have always been economically productive, but really like the sort of way journeying paid work outside the home, both men and women entering that has been somewhat new in our human history, and women going out to work has really changed how we approach parenting, and so that's been the biggest thing in just shifting gender roles as well. And I think a lot of men to have recognized that actually being more hands on with kids, getting to know kids is really rewarding. So I think there's also been a cultural shift that isn't just driven by you know, my wife is working, so now I have to hang out with the kids, but also, you know, a lot of men, if you ask them what are the most meaningful things in your life, we'll say fatherhood. So I think there's also been a value shift around what fatherhood means to men, and I think that's actually a really positive thing for kids.
Speaker 5: It's funny, I actually was a I was raised by a stay at home dad. My mother worked in the late eighties and early nineties, that was interesting perspective for me reading this book thinking about that as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I have to bring up, since you brought up the gender roles this BBC experiment when they switch gender clothes on toddlers.
Speaker 3: You had to first of all, what I or B does.
Speaker 2: The BBC used to allow kids to say, Okay, you're going to dress up a big dress even though you're you know, signed bird the boy that you're going to be, you know, in overalls and car hearts, and then mess with the mess with the I mean the the adults in the room to you know, to basically see how did they interact based on the perceived gender. So so yeah, ungarbled that prompt if you were to talk about that section of your book, because I thought that was fascinating that you know, first of all, wow, that they authorized and that was like twenty seventeen or something, So talk to me about that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't think my university i RB would have been with that. But because it was for a TV show, you know, probably they didn't have to pass muster with you know, it wasn't like a you know, structured research study. But yes, so they brought these toddlers into the lab and they dressed them up, gave them sort of names and clothes that matched the opposite gender, and then they brought these adult kind of volunteers to come into a playroom and basically play with the kids on camera. And it so interesting because they found that the adults just played in totally different ways depending on whether they thought they were interacting with a girl or a boy. And of course, because they had switched the child's identities, you know, the person who thought they were interacting with a boy actually was interacting with a girl. The person that thought they we was interacting with a girl was interacting with a boy. But they would say things like, you know, this boy is so energetic and he just loves the cars, and I'm gonna give him the fire truck. And then you know, this little girl needs the teddy bear to cuddle, and she's so sweet and snugly. So it's like, our perceptions of what a child's gender is really drive how we interact. And I was, you know, bringing that into that chapter just to illustrate that if we have a hard time seeing boys as babysitters or men as future caretakers and fathers, part of that just comes from how we're raised and we're not really raising our boys to be as affectionate or as nurturing, and part of that is coming from our own assumptions as adults.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I'm gonna I'm gonna have to You're gonna have to add dad brain me for a second here, Darby. So so, there's a famous family story in the Mills household of ya Ya and ya Ya was a little baby girl doll that my my hippie Berkeley raised mother in law. God for my older boy who was about as you know, a toxically boy as you can imagine he was. We called him Bam Bam growing up. So and he went on to play college football and rugby. And I was in a high pressure or high stress Washington job now and he uh, he had yah Ya and.
Speaker 3: And he thought it was great. He played with Yaya.
Speaker 2: But he played with Yaya like Yayo was Steve Major's in the six million Dollar Man. And so he would Yaya would be launched off of the porch and Yaya would be putting a stroller and then he would let the stroller go down the staircase, thump, thump, thump dump. And there was no you know, there's no Kevin Costner and the Untouchables at the bottom to save the little baby in the stroller the Tompkin style.
Speaker 3: It just crashed and he was like, yeah, yeah, yay, So I thought that was hilarious.
Speaker 2: Am I a terrible dad for laughing at my mother in law for trying to get my incredibly hyper masculine and two year old to try to assume a caretaking role and then just turning yah Ya into one of his tackling buddies.
Speaker 3: Tell me about that. Unpack that for me, Am I in trouble.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think we all have our different styles of play, and we're all drawn to playing different ways. And you know, but I would say, like I had my son's like that too. He's fourteen now, but you know, he was super active, really physical as a kid, loved to wrestle, love to fight. He always wanted to be sword fighting or you know, just tons of aggression. But he also like loves animals, wanted to volunteer at the Humane Society last year, like has always enjoyed spending time with younger kids. So you know, I think you can have both. Yeah, but I think you can have that aggression and that sort of you know, you can throw yaya off the porch, but I think you can also tap into that more affectionate side. And I think we want to encourage our boys just to you know, again, not to be one way or another way, but just to be flexible, to be adaptable.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, I love that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And yeah, just to just so the world doesn't realize that that my son grew up to be a very good and and wonderful man who also when he was playing football, would would volunteer boys and girls clubs and mentor kids and and probably didn't teach them to throw their baby dolls around. But yeah, it's just, you know, I think some of it is innate and some of it is behavior because we were such hippie parents in terms of letting our kids express themselves how they wanted to as well. And yet somewhere in him he's like, yeah, yeah, it's just my tackling buddy. So I think the last thing I wanted to go over with you, just respectful of how busy you are, is the because this is something personal for me too, and that you had a whole thing on sitcom dads and you know, these archetypes, and and I don't know what it. It dawned on me, but somewhere years ago when when Fox came out with the Simpsons and married with children as their Sunday lineup, I thought this was the erosion of the American father figure. You know, we went somehow from John Walton and Ward Cleaver to to Homer Simpson, who was an incompetent dad.
Speaker 3: Uh, and then Al Bundy, who you.
Speaker 2: Know never got off the couch and was most of the most of the episode scratching his balls. Right, So, so tell me is that is that a am I? Am I sensationalizing the death of the American father figure? Or or walk me through what you what you went through in the book on that, because uh, because yeah, I would love to you know, get back to where dads were cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's interesting, right, Like if you think about that like archetypal art. If you think about that archetypal kind of fifties sitcom dad who is all knowing, like literally the title father knows best, Yeah, has authority is respected, right, and then you know kind of where where that arc has led us. And in the book I cite this cultural researcher who watched a whole bunch of sitcoms and finds that the kind of most common theme in dads in contemporary sitcoms is that they're humorously foolish. So it's kind of like dad is frequently the butt of the joke. Dad's tapless, Dad is bumbling, Dad is inept, And you know that doesn't really map on to you know, most dads are very competent and you know they're good parents, and you know, to say that they're totally clueless, it's like that's cheap laughs. So I'm kind of with you that I feel like this is a shift that doesn't reflect a really positive value on dads. And I think it's like, as a culture, we're just not comfortable with seeing men and kind of lead parenting roles, and so we sort of play it off as this humorous thing. But you know, we could all benefit from more positive dad models in our life.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, I mean we can make a joke, we can take a joke, as we know, the entire genre of dad jokes, any dad jokes that came up in this book that or is that discriminatory to even have a genre of dad jokes such as terrible humor?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 4: I laugh at dad jokes. My own dad is really fond of puns, and they're usually really bad, so I can't even come up with one because they make you grown so much that you instantly want to forget them.
Speaker 3: Yeah. No, that's good.
Speaker 2: That's the best kind of the ephemeral humor that also is very situational. So doctor Saxby, you delivered on the mail Room. I am so glad that you gave up some of your time to be with us and your book. Dad Brain drops June ninth, and please, guys, get out there. Get it for your dad's get it for your sons, your brothers, everybody should get a copy. It's a delightful read, great science, really fun to read. Her humor just shines through. I mean I was laughing, and they're half of the time. I wish I would have written this because it's just so good and so on point with with your data. So thank you so much for giving up your time, Thanks for inviting your cat on the mailroom, and and the cameo for your your your pup as well. It Uh, it's been real, Jordan, thanks so much for putting this all together. Thank you, iHeart and long transit for for that stratocaster, which really brings us bring this podcast home.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about it. Let's talk about the maro. Let's talk about it. Let's talk about the Maro.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about it. Let's talk about the man.
Speaker 6: The mail Room with Doctor Jesse Mills was a production of iHeartRadio. It was Excit decutive produced by Jordan Runtagg. It was edited, mixed, and mastered by Beheid Fraser, and the theme was provided by long Transit. If you liked what you heard, please subscribe and leave a review. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, check out the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows. This program is intended for educational and informational purposes only. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Consult your healthcare provider for any medical or other related questions or concerns. The views and discussions aired on this podcast or those of doctor Mills and do not represent the official positions of UCLA or UCLA Help