Speaker 1: No one has all the answers, but when we ask the right questions, we get a little closer, closer to truths, closer to each other, even closer to ourselves. I'm journalist Danielle Robe, and each week, my guests and I come together to challenge the status quo and our own ways of thinking by daring to ask what if, why not?
Speaker 2: And who says?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 1: Come curious, dig deep, and join the conversation. It's time to question everything. Almost nothing you love ends when you want it to. Not to be a bummer, but really think about it. The job, the era, the relationship, the version of your life that finally felt like it was working. Most of it doesn't get a farewell tour. It gets taken somebody else decide, and then you have to keep on living and the only thing left is how you carry it out the door. Now I've noticed there are two kinds of people. There are people who spend the rest of their lives arguing with the ending.
Speaker 2: I understand that.
Speaker 1: And then there are people who somehow leave reflecting, not because it didn't hurt, but because they discovered something the rest of us haven't. And I wanted to talk to someone who just lived that in public on television.
Speaker 2: You have maintained such grace through this process. I would not I would not have.
Speaker 4: Made that fun. I'm having fun with my friends.
Speaker 2: That's how Now.
Speaker 1: That's Stephen Colbert and John Stewart on the final night of The Late Show thirty three years after David Letterman launched the franchise. The lights went out at the Ed Sullivan Theater. And it wasn't because the show stopped working. The Late Show was still the most watched show in late night number one for nine straight years. Colbert even joked that he might become the first host in history to get camp Wall in first place.
Speaker 4: So this isn't a story about failure. It's a story about doing almost everything right and still reaching an ending you didn't choose. And honestly, that's the scarier story, because we all like to believe that if we work hard enough, become good enough, or stay grateful enough, the things we love will keep going.
Speaker 1: And life doesn't really work that way. So I'm gonna take it back for a second. I was a political science and communications double major. I spent a lot of time studying television. There's more to learn than you would think, and one thing I learned is that Late Night was never really about the jokes. It was about the company. Because for decades, millions of Americans ended their day with the same familiar voice at the same familiar hour, Johnny Carson, David Letterman, Stephen Colbert. They weren't just watching a show, they were participating in a ritual. Back then, we all watched together. There were only a handful of channels. The monologue at the beginning became a national conversation because the nation was actually watching the same thing at the same time. And today I don't think the audience has disappeared. It's just scattered. One person watches a clip at two PM, and other watches on TikTok before bed. Someone else sees it three days later because the algorithm decided to show it to them. A joke watched alone on your phone is a fundamentally different experience than a joke watched together at eleven thirty five PM with millions of other people. One is content, the other is culture. So what ended wasn't just a television show. It was one of the last rituals that we had for being together, even while we were apart. And if that doesn't make sense. Think about your time during COVID. Those late night shows, even when they were virtual, kept us together even while we were apart. And that brings me to today's guest. Ariel Duma spent more than a decade writing that ritual. She was head writer of The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, earning thirteen Emmy nominations across The Late Show and The Colbert Report, and she just lived through its ending. So today she's pulling back the curtain not just on what it's like when your dream job ends, but on what actually mattered all along, On finding your voice in a room full of comedy legends, on navigating imposter syndrome, taking creative risks, and realizing that even a dream job is still a job until the people make it something more.
Speaker 4: I think that is the most important thing in this specific career, in this specific industry, because it is so hard and soul crushing. So if it's not fun, you're going to turn into dust. You have to have a good time, and that's contagious.
Speaker 1: The institution ended, the ritual ended, the lights went out, with the friendships, the joy, the laughs, the rooms she built with those people. Well could cancel that, Maybe that's the lesson. You don't get to choose how most things end, but you do get to choose what you take with you. So here's the question I'm throwing to you today. What if the secret to a great career isn't grinding harder, but having more fun. It's time to question everything with Ariel Duma. So, Ariel, for more than a decade, you have been one of the people helping us process the world through comedy at the Late Show with Stephen Colbert, and I think for years your life had rhythm and pitch and you would rewrite and tape and repeat. What is the strangest part of waking up and realizing that nobody needs a monologue from you tonight?
Speaker 4: The strangest thing is being so disconnected from what is going on in the world unless I actively seek it out or I stumble across it on social media. I'm not actively digesting and processing the national conversation every morning, and it'll be exactly a month two days ago, and I can't tell if I miss it.
Speaker 2: I mean I miss the people. I missed the process.
Speaker 4: For the first couple of weeks, I was like, great, I don't need I do not need to be bothered to explain the strait of Hormuz again, Like I don't need to have to find some relatable emotion about that situation, Yeah, and then explain it with jokes. So that's nice, But I actually I think I'm starting to miss it. I'm starting to get a little itchy.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I remember when I stopped doing entertainment news. I felt such a relief that my brain wasn't full of like what Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez and Kim Kardashian were doing and wearing and eating. Yeah, and it made space for all this other stuff. Are you feeling that at all?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I I am.
Speaker 4: I actually need to I think preface everything, this entire experience, the Late Show ending as an institution, our Late Show with Stephen Colbert, ending my illustrious TV career as a head writer, supervising producer coming to an end. I haven't had time to mourn and process it because a week, almost exactly a week after the show ended, my father in law died suddenly. And he I mean shout out to Judge Larry Ecker. He was pillar of his community, larger than life, actually, very tall, big mustache guy, was a supreme court justice in the state of New York, came to last episode, funniest, best user of profanity, adored.
Speaker 2: By everyone in his community and community, and it's like.
Speaker 4: Larry's gone, and to be I actually think that to be thinking about things like what are we doing with our lives? What are we doing to make meaning in our lives for other people? What are we doing to have fun? Because like Larry love to have fun, even when he's in the Westchester County courtroom, like deciding on a family law case. He's like a fun guy. And I think that all of those feelings are I think asking those questions and being in this weird period of grief have helped me to not dwell, not dwell on the loss of the Late Show, even though I know it's also going to hit me, I think in probably a weird way in the middle of the grocery store at some random moments, going to.
Speaker 2: But you've had so much transition, it sounds like I didn't know about.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm sorry to spring that on you, but it's just been devastating and I'm just like excited to talk about the Late Show, but also to talk sort of larger about.
Speaker 2: Like what are we doing with our lives? What's meaningful?
Speaker 4: And what is our goal with our art and with our work and with our daily practice of living.
Speaker 2: What's our goal here? What are we doing?
Speaker 3: Know?
Speaker 2: Well, it's all intertwined.
Speaker 1: I think art focuses our attention, and artists are so valuable because they see things before we all do. I put you in that category.
Speaker 4: Oh thank you, So I sort of have this feeling art might come out of all of what you're feeling right now.
Speaker 2: Oh thank you. I hope.
Speaker 4: So it's fun that you say. It's very flattering of you to say that, because most days were like oh Trump's But you know, it's just like there was so much about this administration that is just unintentionally funny on their part, like the fact that his hand was so banged up and he keeps the keeping like he shakes so many hands of brave Americans and it's like, okay, but he's like got a hematoma on that he's covering up with like pancake makeup.
Speaker 2: It's really funny.
Speaker 4: The fact that they haven't taken the tarps down from the Kennedy Center to like Hut. The news at times was so funny on its own that it was difficult to make jokes about. You know, that's interesting that it was, like you if I had written this as part of a pilot or if this you know, people at the beginning of this administration would talk about like, oh, this is like veep almost the fact that this the reflecting pool renovation was such a big friggin deal, and then a couple weeks later, it's like peeling off, and yeah, it's very funny anyway.
Speaker 1: So I want to talk about all the meaningful things, but I do have to ask you about your wrap party first, because it made headlines. The dress code was fired in festive. Yes, so I have a hard time knowing what casual chic is. How do you dress for fired in festive? Oh, fired in festive?
Speaker 4: I think it really like let our staff feel whatever they wanted to feel in a.
Speaker 2: Fun, loud way.
Speaker 4: So for some people that was like for a lot of the guys on this stuff, bless their hearts, it was like they are going to wear their one nice party shirt, you know, and that's like that's what their attire is going to be. For women, you know, it was it was basically cocktail, but it felt kind of happ a angry like there was sort of this like zesty fury running through all of our blood that I think was that's what that's what people were.
Speaker 2: But I will say, you.
Speaker 4: Know what's funny. We all were black. Everyone wore black, all the all the staff. Rightly, most people were black. That's just what you were feeling. That was a manifestation. Yeah, and the funeral, you should, I mean, that's sorry.
Speaker 2: That show.
Speaker 4: The show that day was extremely difficult. There were a lot of moving pieces that a lot of big clubs, and there were a lot of writing to do.
Speaker 2: Billy Crystal what oh my god.
Speaker 4: Amazing every I mean, Paul McCartney, the big finish. So we were all working our real jobs that last day, Like it was a hard regular show if it was a special show.
Speaker 2: But then so then we didn't really go get glam.
Speaker 4: We all ran upstairs and like hiked on our spanks and our offices, and when we came out of our offices, everyone was.
Speaker 2: Like wearing black, and I was like it was like a little.
Speaker 1: Spooky that's actually really interesting. Well, it was the most memorable moment for you of the night.
Speaker 4: I just like there were several like John Batiste on the dance floor, with his family. Was great looking seeing like those celebrities and then seeing like all the graphics guys together talking in a cluster, like mixed in with them.
Speaker 2: And then and no one felt like weird.
Speaker 4: That sometimes when you're at a party where there's a lot of famous people, you feel strange or you feel like I can't really talk to anyone. It really felt like our party, and there were some special guests. But I think the most beautiful moment of the night was when the show in real time started. It was eleven thirty five and they had it projected on the wall of the building next door, and everyone there was a hush fell over the room and everyone turned and looked and saw that.
Speaker 2: That was it. That was our last show airing in real time, and that was very poignant.
Speaker 1: You posted that you released a primal SOB when you finished the last taping and you said the job changed life. So take away the head writer title and the glamour of Late Night and tell me about the biggest impact it had on you. Is there a piece of you that wouldn't have existed without that show?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely, And it kind of came from Stephen himself, and it came within the first few weeks of writing for The Colbert Report really and it is it. It really changed everything. I joined the Colbertraport I was the only woman writer on staff. The show had already announced that it was ending, you know, and the show had won Emmy's and Peabodies, and it was like a big deal. And it was like a very cool, hard place to work. It was like grad school. It felt like going being thrown into the middle of a semester and I had to get in that room.
Speaker 2: And some of these men are like big.
Speaker 4: They were like this roomful of men and they were big, and I like was so terrified to.
Speaker 2: Pitch and tell me like hi, I thought something that was funny.
Speaker 4: And so a few weeks into the job, Stephen calls me to his office and goes, I'm so happy you're here, and I want to hear more from you. I want to I want you to pipe up. I need to do to get me a little bit more like he's had in this like very kind, gentle way. But it made me realize, like, oh yeah, yeah, I need to take up more space. And that is the number one piece of advice I give anyone, but mostly women or people of color or anyone who's not straight white man in comedy is to like get in a room and physically make yourself a little bit bigger. If you can't do that with your voice, you need to do it with your body, and you need to do it with your jokes, and you need to take big wild swings. You need to read the room obviously, like don't go nuts. But and since then, I feel like I've gotten a lot bossier. Well, I find that really interesting because historically women in comedy have not.
Speaker 2: Been treated very well.
Speaker 1: You know, I think it's I see it in comedy clubs still because I go all the time in LA or New York when I'm here and there's just less women comics. Yeah, and it's a it's a tough It's not really like it's a tough environment.
Speaker 2: I think it's a numbers thing.
Speaker 4: Like if there were more women on stage, or in spaces where there are more women on stage, or more like non straight white men on stage, like you know in the Brooklyn comedy scene, like that can be a more welcoming place. Not always, but it's funny and enraging to me because like women are the ones who's like spend all the household money.
Speaker 2: Who they we buy tickets to things?
Speaker 4: You know, it's like we oh, people go with their husbands and boyfriends or whatever to comedy clubs, but like the lineup is, like, I don't know, women are still in certain comedy spaces seen as like a flavor of person and not the main kind of person.
Speaker 2: So you don't like being called a woman in comedy though, I yeah, I guess I wouldn't. It's it is what I am.
Speaker 4: But I feel like you would never call men in comedy a man in comedy, just like you guys don't get asked like what is it like being a working dad?
Speaker 2: You know, like no one has asked that, Like, but what is it like? Fucking great?
Speaker 4: Because like probably someone else who like does a lot of the parenting.
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, a man in welding? What is it like being a man in the welding arena?
Speaker 4: You know, totally, It's like being a man in medicine, like a male a doctor doctuh you.
Speaker 1: Know, it's a qualifier, Yeah, it is. I'm going to assume that you have seen hacks. Can I assume that?
Speaker 4: Yeah? This honestly, this last season I haven't finished because it was like the show was ending, it hit too close to home when she's she's running that show, and I was, I, I love that show.
Speaker 1: My god, I love that show so much. We have an amazing producer on this show, and we watch it together and then discuss it after, and I think so much of what happens in that show that plays out between Deborah and Ava captures what it is.
Speaker 2: To be in late night. And it's not just about being funny.
Speaker 1: It's about ego and timing and power and stamina and who gets blamed when something doesn't work. As somebody who's actually lived inside the machine, which is few and far between, what do you think that show gets right? And about what it takes to survive in comedy.
Speaker 4: One of the things that was so on point was the conversation they have, I think in this most recent season at the beginning of their work, that is, who are we doing these jokes for? Are we doing in for Middle America? Are we doing the smarter, more elevated thing.
Speaker 2: And it's like.
Speaker 4: An important lesson of like, you cannot write off your audience and you can't write off what actually is going to be funny in a room full of five hundred people and honestly, what's going to be funny in a room five hundred people is like, sometimes it's the most like direct, clear joke and then like a little.
Speaker 2: Twist on it or something unexpected.
Speaker 4: It's not going to be like a weird, meandering, very clever, thinky thing that you think is funny.
Speaker 2: I have so many jokes that have failed because.
Speaker 4: I thought I was like, this is a delicious commentary and it's a little weird, and.
Speaker 2: It's like, no, no one wants to hear that.
Speaker 4: I mean they do, maybe I do, but you have to you're not doing you're not pandering to the audience, but you're really reading the room and seeing what people want to hear right now, you know you're considering them. Yeah, is that hard when you're in this sort of like echo chamber.
Speaker 2: What kind of echo chamber? I think when you're in a writer's room.
Speaker 1: Oh, like, even if you have different life experience, there's a certain type of funny come on, okay, exactly, Like, and there's things that we get obsessed with as writers.
Speaker 2: Yes, that are not what anyone else would be obsessed with it. Are you able to decipher that now?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: It's hard?
Speaker 4: Well, I think that's the reason we write as a community. We write as a group, and we have a dozen staff writers. We have several you know, kind of supervisor senior writers. And then the last past the monologue is Stephen and the EP and it if only one person knew how to make that room laugh, you would only need that one person to write the monologue or write the show. But it really takes rehearsals, and no one knows how to do this. No one knows how to do this job right every time, which is awesome. It's like failing, failing on purpose or just generating and not caring how much you fail is the number one skill needed to do this job.
Speaker 1: So one of my favorite moments of HACKS is something I want to ask you about specifically because of your life experience. Even manipulates her way into becoming head writer for Debor and Deborah is too scared to let two women be the face of failure in late Night. Yeah, when you became head writer, did you fail feel responsibility for bringing more.
Speaker 2: People into the room with you?
Speaker 4: No, because by that point more people had been brought into the room and that was awesome. Like and by the end, our I'm proud that our staff was like really diverse in all kinds of ways, and I think it really made the show funnier, and it made the room funnier.
Speaker 2: And we didn't always all.
Speaker 4: Get each other's references, but in that same way where like Steven's not going to get all the references. At one point, Eliana Kortler, one of the writers, had to teach him how to do the apple dance, remember when that was big. And that was delightful too, because he doesn't have the same perspective right that we do.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, that's part of the fun. When you have more voices, you have more fun. I think so too.
Speaker 4: I think one of the funniest parts of your personal story is that your therapist made you submit a packet Yeah for Colbert.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, what a great therapist.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 4: He's a great therapist. He really I still talk to him. He's a best He really was, Like he changed my life by telling me this one thing. When I was in therapy in Chicago, I was taking improv classes, I was doing shows at eleven pm on a Tuesday. I was working at Northwestern Memorial Hospital during the day. My life was crazy. I was dating this guy who kind of sucked, and he was like, you get to have the life you want. Think about that. You get to have the life that you want. I mean within reason. But if you want to live a certain way, do that and take yourself seriously, and give yourself the gift of taking yourself seriously.
Speaker 2: And if you wanted you comedy seriously.
Speaker 4: What what are you going to lose by submitting a packet? So thirteen Emmy nominations and one win later. Yeah, when you look back at that version of Ariel, do you feel like you were underestimating yourself?
Speaker 2: I think a certain times I was.
Speaker 4: When I was taking improv classes and and you know, trying to decide what to do, and you know, I did, you know, twice a year, Lord Michael's comes to Second City and sees shows, which is awesome, But if you're not in those shows, or if you're not in the showcase, it's a really hard thing to do. To do that audition, It's incredibly difficult. I was not good at it, and I was sort of like, oh God, what am I going to do now? Because I want to do this and I want to get paid to do it. And then the EP of the Colbertraport, Tom Purcell, who had also been a touring company member at Second City, came and gave us this great talk and he said, this industry needs nice people who are hard working and funny. And if you want to read what one of our scripts looks like, or if you want to keep in touch, you know, email me.
Speaker 2: And this was like a room full of people. And I emailed him after and I was like, thanks so much. I would love to get a script.
Speaker 4: And I won't round up on the list to receive the packet when they were hiring. I learned later that no one else had sent a thank your note, and I.
Speaker 2: Was like, did you hand written and write it or no?
Speaker 4: No, just email, just like got his email and a power of the thank you note. Yeah, it was just a little note, but also honestly power of Tom Purcell, because he is a really good guy to send that packet to a twenty eight year old who you know, twenty eight, I don't know how old I was someone Sue had who hadn't like written for TV a day in her life.
Speaker 1: So at this point, now you're working at Colbert, you're in your thirties. Was the writer's room everything you thought.
Speaker 2: It would be? Yeah, it was awesome.
Speaker 4: It was it was I mean, it was different than I thought it would be in what ways it was so I mean I knew it would be smart. I knew it would be brainy. I didn't know just how in depth. The fidelity of the research and the integrity of the jokes were so like we we really pride ourselves on knowing our shit, and like at one point we'd written a script about the deregulation of derivatives training trading. Well, I would say that Stephen was the most serious. Yeah, of the late night hosts. Oh that's nice. Yeah, and he cares deeply about the country. We all love our country, but like he really really really cares, and yeah he's a patriot and he just knows everything and so does Tom And that was.
Speaker 2: Incredible.
Speaker 1: I'm so curious, what was your first impression of him compared to who he ultimately was in your eyes all those years later.
Speaker 2: I think it was. I think it just he was the same. It was the same. He was like a nice dad who was like lazer.
Speaker 4: Sharp, wit and so brainy, but also like so silly, Like would you know he would get his deli order in the morning and then like throw his toast across the room at whoever wanted to eat it, and it was like, really prioritized feelings, how he felt about the stories, really prioritized having a good time with each other. And those are great qualities and that's what I felt right away, and that's how he was until the end.
Speaker 2: So I think one thing I want to say about.
Speaker 4: Something you mentioned a few questions back, which was that I was twenty six when I started. Oh yeah, and I actually feel like I could have started later. And in fact, some people I work with in our writer's room, you know, one woman was in the Peace Corps and then she worked on getting your theater PhD. And then she was like, I don't want to do this. Another guy was a strike. I think he was a structural engineer, John Thibodeau. People come from all different backgrounds, and I honestly, when I was thinking about pursuing comedy, I really thought of my hero Julia Child, who didn't start cooking until she was in her like mid thirties, and she was like, she was not good at it. I just start like she failed her exams multiple times, And I love that.
Speaker 2: I think there's a lot of pressure.
Speaker 4: To get started young to get like a hot internship and to like be in the room with however people, Yeah, that's going to happen, but also like you really have to work on yourself first, and you really have to find the joy in what you're going to do.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of different paths. Yeah, there are, there are some people.
Speaker 4: If you can get in that powerful room, amazing god bless But I wasn't. I just really like knuckled down and fell into a sort of Also, I feel like it's my hard work. But then also like I was really lucky.
Speaker 1: So you were at the Colbert Report and then you transition to the Late Show.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I am so curious. I'm asking for a friend.
Speaker 1: I am so curious about what it takes to hone the voice of a show, and if I can just sort of share a little bit about my experience. I've been the host and helped launch i think three shows from inception, and each time I've done it, I am exhausted.
Speaker 2: I learned so much. But I've noticed it takes almost a.
Speaker 4: Year to figure out what the show actually is, what the You can do all the legwork you want.
Speaker 2: But it takes a year.
Speaker 4: Was that your experience or how did you hone the voice of the show.
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 4: Absolutely, I think it took I mean at least six months. We didn't know what our show was going to be, and it also was so dependent on the news cycle. Like we we went in there thinking our show is kind of going to be about I don't know what, maybe you know, the American experience, the conversation, what people are talking about, which is great, we love that, except then immediately Trump got elected and we were like, oh, that is what people are talking about, Like this unprecedented time in our country is the main conversation, and then there's all these other wonderful conversations too happening. But finding the voice for that show was a project, and I'm really proud that we did it. And it took a lot of reps, and it took an incredibly strong team. You know, everyone on our show, not just the writers, but the staff. Everyone kind of has comedic input, whether it's like selecting the prop that we use, doing the music cue, what does it look like, what's the vibe of the show, what is the audience like?
Speaker 2: You know that is.
Speaker 4: It all matters? And we really nailed We really nailed it. It took a while, but it really makes me feel just this heartbreak for the system, the TV system right now. Because shows get maybe six episodes, maybe eight, maybe one season, they don't get time to find their voice, to breathe and grow. What do you think the pressures are in late night in trying to uphold this institution while also wanting to infuse a fresh new voice and in your example, like Steven's voice in particular. Yeah, I think that, like it's a challenge. I think that the audience, and by audience I mean the TV TV viewership in general. I think people will always want to hear what's going on, told through jokes and told through a charismatic person. But I think that person also has to deeply care about what's happening or have some sort of personal stake in it. I think that's just goes for all good TV is someone who cares about it, or a great podcast. I think the medium is changing. I think no one is fewer and fewer people are turning on broadcast TV. At eleven thirty five, We're watching a million other things. I'm watching old episodes of Below Deck Blow Deck Med, you know, while looking at my phone while playing Nintendo, you know, because it's I have a two year old and my brain is done. But you know, there's a lot of competition out for eyeballs right now, but I think people will always want that, and I think the main challenge is going to be how do you find how how do you find what people are caring about right now?
Speaker 1: That's it?
Speaker 2: Why do you think that's the main challenge?
Speaker 4: Okay, because we used to live in a world where a movie would come out and it would be all anyone talked about, because really there were only four to six.
Speaker 2: Movies out at any time.
Speaker 4: But it used to be like, oh, this thing happened at the Grammys and that incident would be talked about forever, you know, and people would like hang on that, or like a celebrity scandal would happen and that would be like people would you know, SNL Weekend Update would do jokes on that several weeks in a row.
Speaker 2: Because the nothing moved very fast.
Speaker 4: Now, the conversation moves so quickly that it's hard to get a grasp on like what's recognizable?
Speaker 2: What do people care about?
Speaker 4: Also, people have references that are spread out all over you know, we were not all using the same slang. We're not all looking at the same things. We're not all watching the one Jim Carrey movie that's out. When Austin Powers came out that I was a kid when it came out, it was like, oh my god, all anyone talked about was this crazy movie because we had one crazy movie.
Speaker 2: I mean, this is a real like we had to walk uphill both ways.
Speaker 4: In my day, we only had one wacky movie this summer and that's all people talked about, and you could do jokes about it, and that was your Halloween costume and then that was it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, it's great that there's more stuff now.
Speaker 4: I love having all the options and all the voices and everyone gets to come to the table. But then also it is overwhelming. So how did you guys figure out what people cared about? We have an incredible research team, just these geniuses with hearts of gold who would cast their net wide and put together daily digests and constant, you know, to the minute, daily updates about what are people talking about right now?
Speaker 2: Was it from the Internet?
Speaker 4: Because I found that what people are talking about online is cosmically different.
Speaker 2: So if people are talking about in person.
Speaker 4: No, I know I mean yeah, and we tried to make jokes about what people were doing online, and then our audience of like older CBS viewers at night would be like, huh, yeah, it's not the same dialogue. It's not so you got I don't know, you've got to just like throw a spaghetti.
Speaker 2: At the wall and see interesting.
Speaker 4: I can imagine that you wanted to implement things from past experiences that didn't go well. Well, I know I've done that in almost every show I've ever worked on, no matter how great the show is, like, I always want to do it better the next time.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So, in twenty eighteen, there was this Glamour article where you and a few other women who just so happened to be comedic writers got together to talk about late night comedy life. And there were six of you in conversation. But the article was very quick to note that really only thirty percent of writers were women in general.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Eight years later, did that shift? Oh yeah?
Speaker 4: And on our stuff, absolutely it did. I don't know about the general statistic. I'd be interested in knowing about it, and I would be interested in knowing what jokes are getting chosen. You know, the women can be on the staff. But it's like, are they informing the voice of the show. I know on our show they definitely were, you know, Yeah, why do you think women have such a hard time getting those late night seats? I think that is not a question to be asked of the women or even of me, because.
Speaker 2: I think it has to It's it's higher up.
Speaker 4: I think it all starts with who's running the network, who's hosting, who's uh the ep uh?
Speaker 2: Who who's in charge? And who's deciding who thinks who's funny?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: Like interest think who think who thinks who's funny?
Speaker 4: I am a writer, I swear, but you know what I mean, Like, like, do you like we you know, we have a host who thinks women are wildly funny and love them and that's great.
Speaker 2: But if you kind of are.
Speaker 4: Like, Okay, we gotta have a woman like that kind of attitude is like, thankfully, like not prevalent anymore. I think most of late night shows have like a great number of women, but that wasn't always the case.
Speaker 2: That's really interesting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm like dying to live through a moment where I see a woman as a permanent late night host.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't know, if that will exist, because I don't know if late Night will exist.
Speaker 2: You said you feel like late night won't exist.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean late night has already changed from what it was during the Johnny Carson time, when like millions and millions and millions of people would watch any night or like the Ed Sullivan Show, like most of America would turn on their TV at night to watch that. That's just not happening anymore. That's just not how we get our entertainment. I think that there will always be a place for people to make fun of those in power, and to make fun of what's happening in the news, and to point out a story and say, hey, this is happening, isn't that crazy. Half the fun of writing this kind of stuff is educating the audience about it. Like the President's building a UFC fight ring on the south lawn of the White House for his birthday. Problem is there will be these giant lights there and there's gonna be a lot of bugs. And that story was so funny and we had such great jokes about it, we had to cut it for time. It never made it to air, But that's the story that like my in laws maybe like didn't know about off the top of their heads that you know, everyone at those fights was going to get inundated by mosquitos. That's fun. There will always be a world where pointing something out like that is funny.
Speaker 1: Do you feel like podcasts in some ways have become the new version of Late night or do you think it's still very different?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 4: Absolutely, I think it is a different medium and it's much more casual. Like our show was like very tightly written, very carefully written, very carefully produced, and podcasts.
Speaker 2: Are They're like Lucy Goosey a little bit.
Speaker 4: They are carefully edited and produced and the questions are so thoughtful and the research has been done. Thank you, it's so nice of you. But not every podcast is like that. Yeah, and that's also maybe people like that, maybe white people like get a little looser now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I heard this girl on TikTok. She kind of changed my mind about something because she said, call Her Daddy is not a podcast, It's not an interview show.
Speaker 2: It is a late night show.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, Like everything is pre produced, the sort of like salacious bites are probably run by the publicists, and like the way that Late Night, like the guests kind of know what they're going to talk about.
Speaker 2: I think it might take that form.
Speaker 4: It'll be late night, just on a different It'll be it on different platform, it'll be on a streamer. Yeah, it'll be I mean late night. It just depends on when you're listening to it. Yeah, this is there's no difference between this except the audience. Yeah, and a talk show.
Speaker 2: We're doing a.
Speaker 4: Talk show right now. You're a talk show host. I mean in a great way. You're a journalists my dream Ariel. I mean, this could be on top like, get this, cameras rolling, this could be on TV. They are rolling, Like, I don't see why this isn't one. Get thirty people, you know, watch what Happens Live has an audience of like twenty five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's awesome.
Speaker 4: It's like it does change the dynamic when you have a live audience.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But the podcast world makes me excited for.
Speaker 4: The medium and it makes me for the future of late night. I think that it's a great way to connect with people. Yeah, I mean it sucks that there's like ten thousand of them, and it is again like you don't unless you are talking with your friends who also listen to that podcast.
Speaker 2: You're not like did you hear what so and so said, Like it doesn't. Everything is so spread out now, So that does suck.
Speaker 1: But so I asked you about the moment you felt like it was really over. But I want to go back actually a little further and ask you about the moment when it was announced that it was ending.
Speaker 2: Did you feel like a dream was being taken from you? Yes?
Speaker 4: Absolutely, I mean yeah, and yeah, yes, definitely.
Speaker 2: That's so sad. Yeah, and we got that when I got that call.
Speaker 4: That call was after the show had taped, or like kind of at the end of taping, and we all are on a zoom together and I actually my husband had got me tickets to see a like very belated Mother's Day gift to see Josh Sharp's Tuda at I think it was at Cherry Lane and the show started at seven thirty. This call was at seven. We were in a bar. I was like probably drinking a paloma like and it was just like what it was insane, And we coincidentally had a rooftop party that night.
Speaker 2: You know, we have these like wonderful gatherings for the.
Speaker 4: Staff all summer long, and the vibes usually it's like a pretty chill fun. Oh my god, it's such a manic energy. We were all like crying and kind of shrieking and laughing, Like there was this weird effervescence to that moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, grief makes you do strange things. Yeah, that's well said.
Speaker 4: I walked out of that elevator with a glass of rose, like onto Broadway, which which is like a very beautiful, cinematic streets, really kind of hobo life thing to do. I don't know, it's like, all right, I'm drinking out of a plastic cup on Broadway.
Speaker 2: I'm one of I'm a real New Yorker.
Speaker 1: I felt like one of the most memorable moments from the last season was when all for late night hosts, Oh my god gathered together. Yeah, Strikeforce five. Yeah, I'd never seen that kind of camaraderie. I don't know that that could have happened years ago. There was something. It was like a meeting of the moment and of men who were seemingly evolved. Yeah, it was sort of special. What was it like to experience that sort of solidarity between them?
Speaker 2: It was incredible. It really meant so much.
Speaker 4: Why am I crying? Why am I tearing up about Jimmy Kimmel, but I am. I mean for last fall's Emmy, for last year the Emmy campaign season, he put up a billboard that said, I'm voting for Steven.
Speaker 2: And I legit. I'm still thinking about it. I'm still like crying like it.
Speaker 4: Wow, it was so nice from an industry where there used to be the Late night Wars and like everyone loved talking about the Late Night Wars and it was so I mean, we all have the same dumb job. Very few people have this speci difficult job. And it's not difficult, like you know, we're not doing manual labor. It's actually a quite easy job. We drink a lot of Seltzer. It's awesome, but Seltzer is so spot on, Oh my god, and we drink too much and then everyone gets real gassy. Uh. But it is a it's a hard job being in the fire hose of the news. Yeah, and trying to find the fun. That's pretty wonderful.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: What makes comedy fundamentally human in the age of AI comedy is human. Computers can't do it. They're not people. An example is I once tweeted a joke that was like, uh, calling your mom your mom, Oh, your dad was in the hospital, but he's fine now.
Speaker 2: It's like, what, like.
Speaker 4: That is very very funny thing that's happened to adult children everywhere? Is it their mom calls and randomly jobs that your dad had a procedure or had to go to the emergency room, but he's fine now, don't worry, Like no, I want to worry. And like sharing that very niche discreete moment and connecting on it with a stranger is what life is all about. A computer has no human experience, It has no feelings. It is just stealing stuff left and right, making a big mush of it and is like is this a joke? Haha, Look, I can make a thousand more. But I also think AI doesn't have taste like people do.
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: AI interview questions and there's maybe like three of twenty that are I think usable.
Speaker 2: It just it's not it's not there.
Speaker 4: I also think the whole point of doing this job that you enjoy is writing the questions and asking the questions. Your podcast is called Question Everything. Yeah, you could get a machine and a robot to do that for you, to what so you can have more time laying down like what do you want to do. That's not that So I'm sure you get asked for advice from aspirational writers all the time, But what is the biggest takeaway that you would offer from your career to anyone who's just trying to be good at their job right now? You gotta have fun. You gotta have fun, and that comes with doing it again and again with people you like, not caring about the outcome, but doing it for the pure joy and fun of it. And if it stops being fun and you hate it, maybe try tweaking some things, like maybe you actually don't need to do that eleven pm improv show in some guy's basement, Like maybe that's it, but I think find a way to find no, you know what, I want to go back.
Speaker 2: I don't think this is it. I like fun. I do like fun, but I think.
Speaker 4: It's yeah, let's have a good time and don't let anyone stop you the best. I've gotten a lot of good career advice, and I've sat across from people who have shared a lot of wisdom, and to this day, I think that the piece that runs through my mind before I do anything was from an anchor in Chicago, and he said Danielle. The person who has the most fun wins. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean I Amber Ruffin, who had an incredible late night show, said like, no one can stop me from having a good time.
Speaker 2: And I was like, that's right. They can't take that away from you.
Speaker 4: And I think that is the most important thing in this specific career and this industry because it is so hard and soul crushing. So if it's not fun, you're not gonna You're gonna You're gonna turn into dust. It's it's like you have to have a good time, and that's contagious, some rapid fire for you. The funniest thing about Minnesota, oh uh, that Minnesota nice is actually the meanest possible way to be.
Speaker 1: As a cousin to Minnesota in Chicago, I concur a comedy opinion you would defending court Revenge is funny a joke format that needs to be retired.
Speaker 4: Nothing everything is funny, even if it's done a thousand times.
Speaker 1: A comedian who raised you, Madeline Cohn best late night desk Letterman Conan, Colbert Stewart or Ferguson Cold Bet.
Speaker 4: Conan is a second close runner up. A woman in comedy who should have had a late night show years ago, like Meg Stalter's late night show would be awesome. I would come on.
Speaker 2: That would be great. The funniest person you've ever been in a room with?
Speaker 4: Oh god, Conan Brian is really that funny. The most terrifying room a writer's room, a therapist's office, or a family group chat a writer's room. What's harder to write a monologue, joke, an apology text, or a wedding toast?
Speaker 2: Oh apology texts? Oh god ly, a wedding toast is so hard? No way, because it's not.
Speaker 4: Jenny Hagel writes for Seth Myers has an incredible formula. You make it about them, Make it about them, don't make it about you.
Speaker 2: It'll be funny.
Speaker 4: No one wants you to be super funny guy you think they do, Yeah, they don't.
Speaker 2: They don't, Okay.
Speaker 1: The celebrity who you think would be surprisingly good at late night?
Speaker 2: I think Julia Luis Dreyfus would be excellent.
Speaker 4: Speaking of because she's an amazing woman in comedy. What's the most unrealistic part of Hacks? Oh, people would look worse, looks so much worse, including the host, Although that's hard of her. Whole deal is that she looks fabulous all the time, but we dress like garbage. So who would win in a writer's room fight? Debra Vance or Stephen Colbert. Oh, Stephen Colbert. He arm wrestled us. He arm wrestled everyone on staff for like a year, and that was so fun and ridiculous.
Speaker 1: Yeah, your favorite Second City alum, Gilda Radner. A phrase women in comedy never need to hear again ladies. Oh my god, that's why I quit my sorority.
Speaker 4: Okay, No, it's just so like like, that's fine if a girl says it, but you don't want a man in the room to turn to the women writers and be like ladies, Like that happened. I think like one Domino show and all the women were like bull no, and then immediately like terrorized whoever the poor guy whoever said that?
Speaker 1: That could have been my favorite answer of all of the questions. Yeah, the most surreal famous person you've ever made.
Speaker 2: Small talk with? Oh, Steve Krall, whose idea was the peanut song? Oh that was Barry Julian are incredible, coepy, He's so funny.
Speaker 4: He doesn't get on a street card. You don't know about Barry Julian. He is responsible for some of the best bits on our show. And he just quietly like produces and head writes the second act. And is this Canadian who is just a trip that was so brilliant? Yeah, it was really ant made a lot of money for a good cause. What is something every woman should try once? Sitting like this in a public space?
Speaker 2: I don't know that. I can't. I feel crazy doing camera like what, I feel really crazy sitting with good hair, but like do it on the subway, like you know, like it's it.
Speaker 4: Will I have a cousin who sits like this and we're all like, I interest thing.
Speaker 2: Maybe go like this?
Speaker 4: Yeah, just maybe go like that? I mean, like in this setting. No, like we're ladies, but but we're.
Speaker 1: Not ladies like ladies a lanies. What is a book you read that changed your life? Something you think everybody should read?
Speaker 2: A Slaughterhouse five? Love that? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Will you grab the question everything card game and pick a question at random? In the past, people were buried with items they would need in the afterlife. What would you want buried with you in the afterlife?
Speaker 2: Hmmm? Big old knife?
Speaker 4: You know, ow like har for like fighting in heaven, Like, what are we doing? You can bring these things to the afterlife whatever you want, sweet boom box, some individually wrapped those like individually wrapped parmesan bites.
Speaker 2: Uh, you might be hungry when you're dead.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it might be, might be a little hung might be a little grungry. People, He's just hungry. No one ever says grungry. Yeah, I don't know studeo games, No I think. Yeah, some notebook a pen that's so a head writer of the doodle. Yeah, I got it right, you know, Rry'll thank you, thank you.
Speaker 2: This has been a treat.
Speaker 4: Okay, you know what time it is. Today's a good day. To have a good day. I'll see you.
Speaker 3: Next week is the top Shop Shops and Shopper