Speaker 1: Kutbooms.
Speaker 2: If you thought four hours a day, twelve hundred minutes a week was enough, think again. He's the last remnants of the old Republic, a soul fashion of fairness. He treats crackheads in the ghetto gutter the same as the rich pill poppers in the penthouse. Wow to Clearinghouse of hot takes, break free for something special. The Fifth Hour with Ben Maller starts right now.
Speaker 1: In the air everywhere. The Fifth Hour with Me, Ben Maller and Danny g Radio Happy Sunday, Sunday, Sunday. It is the thirtieth day of the month of March, and we're hanging out with you big old mail bag on this Sunday. Will be down to the final four right now, Danny, we're sitting at let's see, we went from the Sweet sixteen to the Dirty Dozer to the Elite eight, and now it's the six what is it? Sixes?
Speaker 3: Everywhere today we have Tennessee and Houston and Michigan State and Auburn.
Speaker 1: All right, so that's what's coming up today. I'm sure we'll have plenty of Mallard monologue reaction to all that tonight on the Overnight Show. And I know you and Covino and Rich and those guys on Monday will be breaking it all down. But let's get to the mail bag.
Speaker 4: It's bang.
Speaker 3: One thing Ben I like about Covino and Rich they don't pretend to be experts at sports they don't watch or know anything about. They both openly admit that they suck at college basketball.
Speaker 1: Well, based on the the picks on Fox Sports Radio dot com, everyone sucks at college Yeah. It's one of those things. The weird thing about the tournament it's really become more of an issue in recent years, is if you just pick chalk, people rip you. You shouldn't be doing that. You know that anybody can pick chuck. You've got to pick upsets. Yet, if you just pick chalk, you'll end up feeling pretty good. You'll you'll be doing very well. You'll you'll end up with teams in the final four.
Speaker 3: A couple of the lowest seed we had was Arkansas. Yeah, and they were the tenth seed and they didn't hang on to go any deeper.
Speaker 4: So of course you should pick chalk.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's not you don't get any credit for that.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: It's like before every season I have a theory that I've come up with over the years doing sports stock radio that the most outrageous prediction, the most wild prediction is it's a battle. It's like a pissing contest to have the most prediction before season because you get clout, you get attention for it, Like I'll give you any baseball just starting right, Dodgers are off to a really good start.
Speaker 4: And all that.
Speaker 1: And in the baseball season predicting, if you come out and say the Dodgers are gonna win one hundred and seventeen games and they're gonna win the World Series, yawn. Now if you come out and say, the Dodgers might not even win the National League West, so they're not gonna win the Nation League West and Dodgers won't win the World Series, and the Podres are gonna win the World Series or the Baltimore Orioles are gonna win the World Well, that gets attention. So you're better off picking some outrageous thing rather than going with the obvious, because nobody wants to hear the obvious and they just want they don't want that. So anyway, we have the mail bag here and Ohio Al, thank you for that. We've got first one from Reggie in Detroit. Reggie's a longtime supporter of this podcast.
Speaker 4: Reggie theas, uh, yeah, sure.
Speaker 1: I mean, don't say now, we might just assume it's Reggie Theis, the former cal State Northwards christ Did he Is he the one that threw the punch or got punched? Remember that that Reggie Theis, Yeah, there was a punch.
Speaker 4: Did he remember if he was on the receiver. I know he was part of the incident.
Speaker 1: I don't remember great moments in cal State Northridge history right there? All right, So Reggie from Detroit, right, it says, Ben, would you please address the mal ord militia regarding these social media commentators this week who said that they think you are responsible for having Eddie fired and replaced on the show by Lorena. Thanks Reggie from Detroit. Yeah, Reggie, So I have been told this. I didn't. I didn't see it. Apparently there is a popular theory by some that I went to management and I said, ick on the Eddie a and that's it. We've got to get rid of Eddie and Reggie. My response to the people that are saying that is there's a lot of stupid people out there. There's a lot of dummies.
Speaker 3: And still, well, it doesn't make any sense because Lorena doesn't do the same job Eddie does. She is a tech producer. Yeah, she doesn't even have the same boss that Eddie had, exact two different departments.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the only reason Lorena talk is Coop won't talk. I mean, it's like I've tried to use Coop for bits on the show. He just doesn't doesn't interact. Unfortunately, it's not that's not his thing. He doesn't like to talk too much. And Lorena at least will respond every once in a while, and she's kind of into it, and so I like having her on the show. But I tried to use Coop, but Coop's just not he just doesn't engage unfortunately. So but no, I had nothing to do. I loved Eddie. I actually found out. I got back from Kansas City. It was early November, went to the Kansas City meet and greet flew back on I think it was that Monday morning. I got back Monday afternoon, took a nap, woke up, and all hell had broken with this. But Reggie, Yeah, I me, there's always gonna be certain people that are just ignorant and dumb and whatever phrase you one. He was, But no, nothing, nothing like that is true. But you know, people can believe what they want. And I am honored though, in some way, that people believe that the overnight talk show host has the kind of an iron fist that can control those things. I just believe that it's a wonderful thing that you think that I have the kind of thing where I can move mountains and that I'm in control of the terrain. I think that's neat. There was a time maybe that was the case where you were the engine master and all that, but I don't think that in modern times that.
Speaker 4: You're being modest.
Speaker 3: In fact, I heard a rumor that the reason why our kitchen is blue is because that's your favorite color.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, I am the benevolent overlord, right, I'm the dictator. I rotate nuts. My nickname in the building is at Till of the Hunt. That is my nickname in the building. So anyway, thank you Reggie for that, and thank you for all the idiots. I guess on social media that we're posting that ian from Australia. Right, so, and he says, hey, Bandon, Danny enjoyed the podcast. I wanted to ask you about this. Didn't they make a horror movie about this very topic? And then he sent me a story that says scientists want to grow human bodies for testing and the harvest for parts. This is from Ian in Australia. Ethically sourced human bodies. Yeah, scientists from Stanford University asked in a recent article. This is from MIT Technology Review. He says, why do we hear about medical breakthroughs and mice but rarely see them translate into cures from human disease? Why do so few drugs that inner clinical trials receive regulatory approval? Blah blah blah blah blah. And then they explain because they're not doing it on human bodies. And so this is the common root cause there's a shortage of ethically sourced human bodies.
Speaker 4: May too early in the morning for this.
Speaker 1: I know. So they say, with more than one hundred thousand patients currently waiting for a solid organ transplant in the US alone, it is the kind of an outside of the box thinking that could solve this organ shortage. Wow, So how exactly would this work?
Speaker 4: Jesus?
Speaker 1: You imagine it would be harvesting bodies. We're just gonna but I don't even want to. Yeah, I don't know what do you want me to say? Ian, I don't know that that is a horror movie. That's that to have been a horror movie at some point, right, that had to be. This is like some kind of April fool's joke. We're not quite into April yet. Ethical harvesting of human bodies I'm a doctor. Yeah, is determining whether we should make body ooids non human or human will require considerable thought, discussion and debate.
Speaker 3: Man, all right, you know what, it is too early for this, but I'm gonna be thinking about this all day now.
Speaker 1: Thank you Ian for that. Yeah, And don't you think they're probably already doing that somewhere maybe somewhere in like some well look at the maybe in Wuhan. You know the lab there in Wuhan where they give us COVID and all that, the fish market in in Wuhan, China, they can at harvesting bodies. Oh yeah, yeah, all right, who's next on the mail bag? And by the way, if you want to send a mail.
Speaker 3: Transition from that, I know, I don't know, I don't know what do you what are you doing speaking of dead bodies?
Speaker 1: You know, we're not coast to coast ian. I know you don't even know what that is, probably in Australia, but we're just just trying to get through it. I don't even know what this is. It's not really a sports podcast.
Speaker 4: It's not.
Speaker 1: It's just a podcast. It's just a couple of dude hybrid.
Speaker 4: It's a hybrid.
Speaker 1: It's a hybrid. We're just trying to get today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, ask Ben in two point zero and a little bit of sports mixed in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, whatever caught our attention we talk about, it's not It's not that deep, dude, you know what I'm saying. It's not that deep. Okay, Joe in New York writes and he says, hey, Ben, I saw that Logan Paul and Jake Paul this week had their own version of a malord meet and greet in Times Square, but no one showed up. Uh has this ever happened.
Speaker 4: Like a Doug Gottlieb remote.
Speaker 1: Or like a Doug Gottlieb coach basketball team? Oh no, all right, No, we love you, Doug. We're big fans of Green Bay. Maybe you'll win five games next year. Anyway, Joe writes.
Speaker 3: In nobody showed up because Doug's fans live in other states.
Speaker 1: That's right, that's right. Yeah, no, but so Joe sent a link here. So Logan Paul, Jake Paul had a meet and greet in Times Square and nobody showed up. Uh. So the question was has this ever had me Fortunately, no, although we did have almost we only had a couple of people show up in Appleton, and Appleton, Wisconsin was very small. That was the smallest one we've had. I was worried no one was going to show up. We had a few people show up from Green Bay and one dude, I think they're like four four people showed up to that. That was the That was the one that came close to having no one show up. But other than that, we've done pretty well and we did very well in Boston. Vegas was great, Minnesota was wonderful, The la Ones have always been really good. We did pretty well in Charleston. So yeah, we have never I'm gonna jix myself now, I'm gonna jinx myself. But to this point we've never had no one show up, which would be very very unfortunate. And how did that happen. I thought Jake Paul and Logan Paul were like popular, are they not? I don't know, They're not popular to me, but I think I'm too old for there.
Speaker 3: No, I mean I would have I would have assumed that they would have a decent sized crowd. Maybe it wasn't promoted properly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Or it's all smoking mirrors, And it's like the matrix and what I always say about social media and and all that, that it's just algorithms and bots and this that and the other thing, and AI.
Speaker 3: Like all those supporters are not tangible in real life.
Speaker 1: A lot of what goes on on social media is not you can't monetize it. It's not like legit. It's like, aren't there more more people on Instagram that have a million? There's not what was the number, I gotta find the number, but there's like more people on Instagram that have a million followers or something like that that actual people on the planet, meaning the population. If you took all those millions of people, there's a lot of fakeness, is what I'm trying to say, right, A lot of it's smoking mirrors.
Speaker 3: By the way, I saw Doug in our La studios last week.
Speaker 1: Is he recruiting? Is he trying to get some kid from Tustin to come joining?
Speaker 4: Well, I was telling him about cos skills.
Speaker 3: Hey, yeah, you can never start, you know, getting your son's film out there too soon. But he asked me how the Fifth Hour podcast was doing. And I talked to him for a couple of minutes, you know, him being a coach now too. I felt like he should have had lunch catered for our studios that day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just charge it to green Bay, come on, man? Exactly was Doug surprise when he got to La he was greeted by this thing called the Sun? Was he like, whoa, what is that? There's a thing called the Sun? Where did that come from? I can't believe it. Did he wear the pullover Green Bay thing? You know, the pullover that says the Green Bay logo on it and all that.
Speaker 4: I didn't know.
Speaker 3: I didn't see any I didn't see any slag on him. Yeah, I would wear it was incognito. He was in well you know, he was dressed as a broadcaster.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think you'd agreed, Danny, the way Green Bay performed this past year, you probably should go incognito. No, he should go definitely go incognito. Next up is Dave in Boise, Idaho. He says, Hey, Ben and Danny, I know you guys are not big fans of my state. You never talk about it, but I thought this would be interesting for the podcast. And he says that the governor of Idaho has signed a law this week that has made it illegal to have truck nuts. Yeah, you cannot have have the the truck nuts. I rotate nuts. Well, that's peanuts, you know, you know what, you know what truck nuts are, Danny, right, the little scrot them, the fake scrotum that attaches to the back of the back of the truck, and it says a common decency. Many years ago, Florida attempted to make truck nuts illegal with a law that proposed a sixty dollars fine, but it failed to pass. South Carolina had a legal battle after a woman got a four hundred and forty five dollars ticket for violating obscenity laws. But according to the story that was sent here by Dave from Boise, Idaho, he says House built two seventy recently went into effect and it updated pre existing indecent exposure law that now outlaws the public display of female breasts, male breast altered to look like female breasts, and toy products that resemble genitals. I've never been to Ido. Have you been to Idaho with Covino and Rich or anything, or just gone up fishing or anything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've been to Idaho. Been a hiking Yeah, on a hiking trip. Beautiful man rolling green hills on the way into Jackson Hole, Wyoming. Okay, there are huge, sprawling estates. You can build a retirement home on a ton of property. And my cousin and I we were blown away by all these homes we saw. And my cousin told me, He's like, man, this is the spot to retire right here.
Speaker 1: I've known a few people that at social events I've gone to with the wife. And a lot of cops retire in Idah. I think it's a big cop place. Like a lot of cops go up there, and like from La, I'm pretty sure.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of Hollywood folks that have moved to Actors actresses that have moved out that way to get out of La.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, definitely often.
Speaker 3: I know Mario Lopez brought his family out there is that right?
Speaker 1: Is that right?
Speaker 3: Yeah, they still have a residence here in southern California, but they built a house there in Idaho. My wife's uncle and aunt are building a big home in Idaho right now. So yeah, that is a spot where people on the West Coast especially look to retire.
Speaker 1: Cool. Are you planning to retire, Danny? Have you mapped out your retirement plans there?
Speaker 3: And dude, my retirement plan is in full effect once I turned ninety three.
Speaker 1: You're starting right now.
Speaker 4: You'll start saving seven good years left. Wrong.
Speaker 1: Once CoA goes number one in the NFL draft, you'll be you'll be ready to go.
Speaker 4: Uh, it is.
Speaker 1: The mail bag, And thank you, Dave. I don't know what do you want me to say, Dave. I mean, I don't. I don't really have a problem with with fake nuts on a truck.
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's the greatest look in the world, but I don't think it's something that needs to be punished by the law.
Speaker 3: Oh, Ben, really quick, though, I don't know falls there were a ton of large people there. We stopped in a diner and oh my goodness, there were big people in there.
Speaker 1: Is that right? Well, that actually is perfect, Danny, are you looking at my notes here? Are you cheating?
Speaker 4: Nanny?
Speaker 3: No, No, we're just in sync because Billy rights in, I'm justin Timberlake.
Speaker 1: Apparently, so Billy writes in he says, uh, I guess parts unknown. By the way, he did not. Billy did not say where he is actually residing, so part's unknown. He says, Ben, I heard you mentioned Desmond Watson this week on the Overnight Show, and I want to know, if you're a man of your word, will you actually get one of his jerseys. So, for those that didn't hear the Overnight Show, I did Billy mention that I am a big fan of Desmond Watson. I believe he is the kid's name, Desmond Watson. He is the humongous defensive tackle from the University of Florida that, if he is drafted, will be the heaviest player drafted in NFL history by almost one hundred pounds.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm looking him up right now. Desmond Watson four hundred and forty nine pounds.
Speaker 1: No, he's bigger than that. He's like forced safety. He weighed in on his pro day. He's projected as a Day three pick. He weighed in at four hundred and sixty four pounds. Oh yeah, he but he big boy. He benched two hundred and twenty five pounds thirty six times. That's the most of any player that he wasn't at the combine, but no players at the combine bench that much. He also completed the forty yard dash in five point thirty nine seconds and almost five hundred pounds.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: The dudes athletic. So yeah, I'm a big fan. Billy from Parts Unknown. I'm pulling for the kid. Well I actually buy a jersey? Probably not.
Speaker 4: What does he eat?
Speaker 1: Donuts and traduccin and.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna do for the combine, get heavier.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna eat those three layer burritos is what I'm gonna eat. That's what I'm going for. Man, you talk about the great fat Hope Desmond Watts. I hope the Rams draft that guy. The Rams draft him. I'll have to buy a jersey. I do think I'm a little too old for that, but I don't know. I man, I'm pulling for the kid. I hope he makes it. That's every fat kid's hero right there. If he squashed it, literally squashes the record by eighty pounds. Currently the heaviest player ever drafted in the NFL, weighed in at three hundred and eighty pounds. There's a couple of offensive linemen, most recently was Trent Brown, who's actually had a decent career. But this guy Watson's again almost one hundred pounds heavier then that that is as wild. And he never missed a game at Florida.
Speaker 4: You know that.
Speaker 1: I watched him play defensive tackle, but he he had some decent stats and he moves very well. He moves like he's a normal sized player. So that's that's the kind of guy.
Speaker 4: Dan.
Speaker 1: If you're an NFL team, draft that guy in the sixth round. If you can get him to lose i don't know, seventy pounds or something like that, get under four hundred, man, that's it.
Speaker 4: I having him lose anything.
Speaker 3: I'm having him gain thirty more pounds and then I'm gonna just put him in whenever i have to do the push play.
Speaker 1: Well, No, he's a defensive second, so he could stop the toush push.
Speaker 4: No, I would put him in on offense. I'd use them like a refrigerator.
Speaker 1: Perry oh Man, that is that is a great story. Billy, but again unlikely to buy actually buy his jersey, but I will be a fan. I will support him and hope he does very well for sure, Mike. And Fullerton writes in on the mailback and says, hey, Ben and Danny, g do you think if the Dodgers stay healthy they have a legit shot at a perfect season this year? I know it's never been done before, but if anyone can do it, it's this year's Dodgers. On paper, they look unbeatable. Also, do you know if mercury being in retrograde is a good thing or a bad thing. I've listened to Andrea's calls for years and I still.
Speaker 4: Have no idea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so pretty sure Mike that you don't have to worry about the Dodgers being perfect. And as far as as far as the mercury and retrograde, I generally it's a bad thing unless it fits the narrati, it's a good thing. So it really it's wonderful. You can manipulate. It's kind of like playto Danny, mercury being in retro red. You can move it to whatever fits your agenda. It's like that after the fact reporting when people talk about this team didn't get along very well, and then they win the Super Bowl. Well they didn't. They didn't they didn't get along. Well, that's what the reason was for them to win is because they didn't get along well. So it kind of drove them to win. And then if it doesn't work out, they didn't win because they didn't get along. So whatever fits the narrative, you just plug it in and you're good to go.
Speaker 3: Andrea, she has magical powers. It's true because every time I hear her on your show, she magically turns into Amy Lawrence.
Speaker 1: Oh how that's a low blow. That is a low blow. What was she's gonna do now? Amy Lawrence gave up the overnight show?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 1: Gary in Pa, you know, I don't know ferk Dog. I'll ask her next time.
Speaker 4: Is very nice lady, by the way, he's a lovely lady.
Speaker 1: In my apologies to her. Gary and Pittsburgh writing.
Speaker 3: The phone calls and she would ask me about my family for about ten minutes, and then you'd leave her on hold for another hour.
Speaker 1: That's right, Gary, sometimes two hours. Gary and Pittsburgh write. Since has been as a person that listens to your show but hides behind their email as some gasbag once said, I came across a pretty good deal in the coupons that come from our grocery ads. Apparently Arby's money laundering in Pittsburgh. I guess that's for you. Daddy in Pittsburgh must be off the charts. They have a coupon deal for fifteen dollars six mozzarella sticks, two beef and cheddar, two medium fries, and two drinks and two apple turnovers. Man, in this day and age, I think that is as fair as it gets, and will probably do this. We'll probably do this, he says, your thoughts as this is what half of that offer would be in californ.
Speaker 3: We talked about the prices yesterday. This sounds like the cartel.
Speaker 1: Now you get six mazzarella sticks. That's a nice appetizer, two beef and cheddar, two medium fries, and two drinks and two apple turnovers. That would cost at least seventy dollars.
Speaker 4: In LA at least one visit to the er.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that's worth it. He also says Gary's waiting for the dates for Columbus the Columbus Meet and greet. Brush up on your hockey knowledge, since that is the decor of that bar, Google Orums Donuts as I will be bringing you some of their famous cinnamon bunsh I like the sound of that. That are the size of Frisbees, says Gary in Pittsburgh. Wow, ah, man, cinnabuns cinnamon rolls. Is there anything better?
Speaker 3: When they give you a little sample? Yeah, at a cinnabon and in the mall, that's enough. Like I'll get two sand samples in that. That's gotta be sixty grams of sugar in the two little tiny samples. Who could sit there and eat a huge cinnamon roll?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Well, Danny, it obviously depends on how old you are, right, because you're you're at the age now, Danny where you're like, you know how many grams of sugar?
Speaker 4: But if but I couldn't eat that when I was twenty.
Speaker 1: Okay, I probably could have back in my big eating days. Well didn't you stop? Used to stop? What's that place?
Speaker 4: Is it in?
Speaker 1: Not Santa Cruz, Central California that's got the rolls?
Speaker 4: Pismo Beach, Pismo Beach.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Pismo Beach.
Speaker 3: We're a famous Yeah, there's a famous cinnamon role play.
Speaker 1: It's a wonderful place, always packed there's people lined up out the out the door there.
Speaker 4: It's awesome.
Speaker 1: But those those are regular sized cinnamon rolls. Those are not the size of Frisbees. But but Gary, very kind. I look forward to meeting you, Gary. Continue to beat it behind your email all right, Marcus writes it from San Antonio. He says, Hey, Ben and Danny g I have mentioned in previous mail bag questions that we were lucky enough to be read on the Real Fifth Hour podcast. My first experience at AM radio was listening to Kansas City Royals games and follow up postgame shows, the fan shows. I remember watching WKRP and since a Naty as a kid, and Frasier on TV and thought, what a glamorous life it would be to work in a radio station, listening to several hosts cry about the demands of the job and former athletes that have basically ruined sports talk radio. There's one thing that still makes me wonder about to this day. Every once in a while, there seems to be an extended, I mean really long commercial break. I always thought the host was arguing with the producer or some kind of bathroom emergency. Can you explain why Sometimes these extends breaks just seem to come out of nowhere. It would be nice to get some closure on this. Truly appreciate you guys keeping me company on the weekends. That is from Marcus in San Antonio. So, Marcus, this must be a local radio issue because we have a formatted clock by the clock, all about the clock, living for the clock. It's all about the clock. But on local radio, I do know sometimes you move commercials around, and I know that occasionally you need to go a little bit long.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: We have had some hosts you may or may not have worked with, one who may or may not have gone on to sit in the most famous chair in radio, the Limbaugh chair, who would occasionally kind of fluts around with the clock, which would create some very tough situations as we go out. You know what I'm saying. I mean, but generally speaking, we're not able to do that, right Dan, we can't really mess Oh.
Speaker 3: I mean, well, I did one time have the heart out run into a heart out.
Speaker 4: You ever heard of that?
Speaker 3: So nobody knew what to do because it had never happened before.
Speaker 1: Oh that's so good, Oh man. The worst I've had I did. I came back at the top of the hour before the top of the hour, the final segment, and I think I had seventeen seconds, I believe. I said alone and gave the name of the show, and we went right back and that was that was that about seventeen seconds and the greatest.
Speaker 4: Sound my heart out hit in the middle of the top of the hour. Update.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there were legendary stories about that show. And because if they were just rolling, they would just keep going, and which is great, and you can do that alone local radio. The problem with us is we're feeding all these other stations and so if you if you don't follow the clock, it creates what's it called danny a bottleneck, right, well, gridlock.
Speaker 3: Like a it's like a train wreck, but millions of people die in the train crash, and.
Speaker 1: There's no way around it. There's really no way around it. You're you're just doomed.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: There is a famous story markers in local radio. There was a talk show host in Los Angeles who had eaten lunch before his afternoon drive show, and the lunch did not agree with the host, and the host did the opening segment of his show and then realized he had to go to the powder room.
Speaker 4: And for what did you eat.
Speaker 1: It was not it was not me, but for forty minutes, that host was taking a bow movement and they had to play. They played forty minutes of commercial and music, which is not you're not supposed to play music on a sports station because this guy had to go to the bathroom and it was a classic.
Speaker 3: That happened one time on the Jay Moore Show, except he was doing something else.
Speaker 1: Well, he was probably looking up some laker information or something like that. Probably show sure. Marcus from Bruce phil Eddie, Texas right soon says, hey, you guys talked last week about when COVID had hit and still doing the radio station. I remember at one point there was nothing going on in the sports world. Everybody was scrambling for stories. My local station here in Waco had their host talk for an hour and a half about his daily routine from getting up, eating breakfast, showering, and going to bed. I thought that was hilarious. Did you guys have any moments like that? That's from Marcus, Yeah, we certainly did. Danny. The great thing is that the management was like, listen, there's not them that you normally do. That's going to be normal, So just do whatever you have to do, you know. I think one of the lines they said was, I know we're doing sports talk, but you're just doing talk. You know, you just just you know, get through it. You don't talk about it. Just that's it, you know. One of my fondest memories. Besides you doing the Marble coverage, we still had to get some guests on the air. And you know, since there were no games being played, there were a few, just a few sports.
Speaker 4: That were operating. One of them was MMA.
Speaker 3: So I got like the best writers and the dudes in that industry that were the most respected to hop on the phone with Clay Travis, and Clay was asking them all about MMA, and they were breaking down all the fights and the weight classes and everything, and it sounded cool on the air, just because the MMA never got primetime coverage like that before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, for sure. Then they were the only game in town. That and as we mentioned Korean baseball, we were getting fed Korean baseball games, and that was the sport and the stadium being empty and and all that. But yeah, yeah, I mean, those those turned out to be stories that we will tell. You know, we're old guys in a rocking chair drinking lemonade, puking, my day during the pandemic, and you know, tell those most stories, and that's our that's a big moment, that nine to eleven. Those are things that we'll we'll talk about for the rest of our lives and then we'll be done, and then they'll be on Wikipedia, and then they'll be that and we'll move on to the next great disasters of the world, which are who knows how far away right always those those defining moments. I know when I was first starting out. For the previous generation, it was like the Kennedy assassination, the moon landing, those were like the huge events. That was like the biggest. The Vietnam War was a big one in their lives. The Depression. I know, my grandparents, my mom also because of my grandparents and the Great Depression, my grandparents, I was living through it. My mom always had like fifty containers of toilet paper and Kleenex and all the supplies because she was worried about the depression. Of course, we ended up trying to hoard toilet paper because of COVID. But you know, it's interesting.
Speaker 3: When we were really little, one of those moments was the Space Shuttle exploding.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, what uh?
Speaker 3: That was one of the first time I ever saw grown adults crying all in their eyes about And then how gangster our generation is? They they had us remain in class and they the teachers blew their nose and got some tissue and started teaching math again. Do you imagine nowadays if something like that happened for a week.
Speaker 1: They were absolutely right. Yeah, to put into context, like, you know, lot most of our listeners are around our age or older, you know, maybe a little younger. But that Space shuttle with the teacher, every fucking kid, Danny, every school, yes, watching that Space shuttle cub boom.
Speaker 5: And we had it on a huge projector inside the school's big library splash auditorium thing, so and all the classes, all the teachers were in there watching it together.
Speaker 1: Every kid watched a teacher die and a bunch of other people and oh my god, it was such a debacle. And we were like, we're going to send the letters. Remember they ever gonna have every kid send a letter to the astronauts.
Speaker 3: And oh god, I still remember walking back to the classroom, my teacher blubbering she had to like rub some dirt on it and get back in the game.
Speaker 1: I remember my teacher tried to spin it. She's like, well, it's possible that maybe they survived and they're in the capsule and they'll get them out of the ocean.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: No, she was telling you, my teacher, she was trying to like, it's a chance. You know, you never know, maybe.
Speaker 4: They're out there. Saying there's a chance. I'm like, how do you think?
Speaker 1: Even as a little kid, I'm like, I was cynical. I was like, you gotta be I mean think exploded. There's no All right, we'll get out on that, Danny. I'll be back tonight on Sunday night into Monday. We'll recap the college basketball today and whatever else.
Speaker 4: Is going on.
Speaker 1: I'm sure there'll be some random NFL factoids and whatnot, and you'll be back with Covino and Rich tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, sir, our usual time in the afternoon, although coming up on Friday we're going to be filling in for Colin cowverd so tune in for that. But yeah, we'll be on Monday afternoon. On the East coast, you know, that is five to seven and here on the West side that is two to four. PM in beautiful Chula Vista, California.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I love it, just east of San Diego. I have a wonderful, wonderful rest of your Sunday and we'll catch you. I'll catch you tonight on this podcast next weekend, and Danny tomorrow and we'll talk to you then.
Speaker 4: Austa pasta gotta murder. I gotta go