Speaker 1: You know when you come from Detroit, you know that this guest has to be special to be on this show. The official laugh fucked it up. Let's start all over again. Hey guys, welcome to another episode of Eating While Broke. I'm your host, Colleen Witt, and today we have special guest actor, comedian all the way from Detroit. Spanky Hayes is in the building. Yes, ma'am, and I'm really excited about this moment because this is full circle. We go way back, way back, you know, way back. I was fresh from New York when I knew you.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was still rocking a lot of times, I think, yeah, a lot of a lot of tens.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So we go way back, yeah too, way back. And that's good for this episode because I know where to dig and search for all the crumbs. But speaking of crumbs, Spanky, we gotta know what you was eating while you were broke.
Speaker 3: Okay, so this is pretty simple. You have rice right here, and you have tuna. You got butter, and then you got hot sauce.
Speaker 1: So when we went back and forth on you know what is Spanky gonna eat? And Spanky said tuna and rice, and I was like huh like, And so even before you got here, it was like, I would have loved to like prepared for you, but I was like, there has to be missing ingredients, because surely it can't be tuna rice. And this is how desperate I was. Usually I buy the tuna in water, but because you said tuna and rice, I said, well, maybe he needs some soft tuna so that the tuna in oil.
Speaker 3: That's how that's not bad.
Speaker 4: That's because I was like, surely there's missing ingredients.
Speaker 1: But this is a true classic broke dish that has never been done on this show. We have to search hard for it. So I'm super excited because that means the broker the dish, as you guys know, the better the stories.
Speaker 3: There we go, there we go.
Speaker 1: So seeing that you didn't have to cook it, let's watch you prep this dish and walk us through it. Because most of our audience is listening, not.
Speaker 3: Watching, okay, So for the listeners that should be watching, I would just take some rice right here. Then I would like, let's take some button.
Speaker 1: And hot though yeah I think it's like.
Speaker 3: Warm ish, Yes, it's melting a little bit.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, so you put butter in the rice. Okay, okay, like tastes buttery. Yeah, trust me, I'm a butter fan. I like every dish.
Speaker 4: I tell people I go through like a stick of butter probably every.
Speaker 1: Three dishes I make. That's how much butter I go through.
Speaker 3: I'll take a whole stick of butter in fire steak.
Speaker 1: Oh, I feel like I would want to eat that steak.
Speaker 3: It's amazing.
Speaker 1: Really Okay, what seasonings do you put though?
Speaker 3: Just like Lauri season salt. Lauri's again some kind of like garlic.
Speaker 1: So, guys, I'm watching him mash the butter into the rice and it's going down. Okay. You know, I had someone on the show I think they did like eggs running, eggs and rice, and it was actually, you're pretty good.
Speaker 3: So I could see that running.
Speaker 1: See that you your eggs running.
Speaker 3: I like, I like all kinds of eggs. Yeah, but I can see that, like if you got like salmon coquettes and you got rice and then you got eggs, so then maybe the eggs kind of go over into the rice. I can see that.
Speaker 1: So is this a dish that you would eat on the road or is this like a dish you eight when you broke?
Speaker 3: I used to eat this when I was totally broke. I could only thing. I would have to have somebody make the rice for me. But it's so easy to steal tula. You know what I'm saying out of the supermarket.
Speaker 1: Did you say steal?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean if I had to, if I had to steal, you know what I'm saying. So it was great, Okay, And then okay, I think I think.
Speaker 1: Well the cool thing about you know today's episode. I am an avid sponsor of the minute rice you put in a microwave a minute in thirty seconds, some of the best rice money can buy. Okay, here's here. You can make both at the same time. So we got the rice the buttery rice in a bowl.
Speaker 4: Okay, Okay, Okay, I'm gonna I'm gonna keep it real for all y'all listeners, see if this really hits.
Speaker 3: So, I was gonna ask you how many times have you not liked the dish?
Speaker 1: There are a couple of dishes that I definitely will never eat again. And that was the tuna casserole shout outs to Uplift the Marketplace. I actually hated that dish. And then uh, the pickled egg by Miss Jackson.
Speaker 3: Was that sounds terrible.
Speaker 1: Those are the only two dishes that like, I'll never eat in life.
Speaker 3: So now, if you like hot sauce, no, you don't like hot Nope. Okay, so don't put that. So you might want to put like maybe just a.
Speaker 1: Little assault, okay, just a little, but the bowl the butter has salted.
Speaker 3: Okay, you wanted them healthy.
Speaker 1: No, I'm not. I just I'm just not from Cali and I can't do that. Can I take this one?
Speaker 3: Sure? Yeah? Okay, so you said so that's oh so I.
Speaker 1: Just okay, that's it. That's it, because you don't want me having a heart attack while interviewing. I was interviewing someone I was interviewing and I think they put a lot of.
Speaker 4: Hot sauce and it was too much. So I'm guessing we're just gonna mix it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just you just get in there and do it.
Speaker 1: I thought for sure you were forgetting like mayo or.
Speaker 3: Something that'll be like a sandwich.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's see, let's see, let's see if it's hitting, let's see.
Speaker 3: Hold on, tell me what do you think?
Speaker 1: Surprisingly, No, I'm gonna break this because this dish costs like three dollars and you can. You could literally make a couple of them because I did two cans of tuna, expensive packet of pre made rice. It was like two bucks.
Speaker 3: You could put lemon, you could put let me tell you.
Speaker 1: This can definitely hit and I I could see like you adding lemon.
Speaker 3: I'm really see see.
Speaker 1: But if you're broke, for sure, for sure, this dish will carry you through. I'm trying to tell you it's like eating like a king on a budget though, because you have your protein and you have a rice and it's feeling.
Speaker 3: You don't work out right after this, I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 1: I feel bad for my child because if I'm ever desperate, I'm gonna make this.
Speaker 3: They're gonna love it.
Speaker 1: I feel like my daughter would really love this. You're probably gonna give this to school school. I come home sometimes what am I gonna give her? But this is actually brilliant.
Speaker 3: I've been doing this.
Speaker 1: Does this pre eat well too?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I never tried to cook it.
Speaker 1: I just always let me tell you perfect dish.
Speaker 3: Thank you. See you were scared.
Speaker 1: I was definitely scared because I was like, this is this is gonna.
Speaker 3: Be dry as hell, but good as long as it got buttered and you got like some salt or is like some lemon, or this hot sauce boom you own.
Speaker 1: You've been sold by the way I'm eating it.
Speaker 3: It's good, guys, sell.
Speaker 1: Good, so I can get you to spell all the team good.
Speaker 3: Come on, I'm ready. I red tea.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, that's a great dish than you like. If I'm ever struggling, that's going to be my go to. And guys, it's better than ramen. If you've been eating ramen for like weeks, switch it up. Do the right thing.
Speaker 3: And then my family, my dad's side of the family is from Cuba, so that's kind of where I got it from, you know what I'm saying. But they would do it like spam, but I don't like.
Speaker 1: I hate Oh I tried spam on this show. That's another thing. I'll never do spam. Thank you for reminding me. I hate space. So those are my three will never do again. I hate spam. I tried it.
Speaker 3: Oh god, spam is terrible.
Speaker 1: It's so salty, right, So I tried it with that. You don't be great with this, Like if you do the corn beef with the rice.
Speaker 3: Maybe and an egg that might be good too.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying. You know, you're inspiring me.
Speaker 3: So there we go. That's what we're here.
Speaker 1: So take us back to what was going on during this era.
Speaker 3: Okay, I find myself still there sometimes.
Speaker 1: Okay, I like that. I like that. So you've rolled the roller coaster wave of having money and losing money, having money and losing money, Oh my god, and then you also rode the wave of popularity and being in and.
Speaker 3: You know, out right right, I would say, so.
Speaker 1: Why don't we do this since this dish is a rolling Yeah, let's take us back. Take us back to Detroit, what was going on.
Speaker 3: Detroit is a great place to be from, but it's very hard. Like people are hard, women are very hard. It's like your daddy is mean, your granddaddy mean, it's like that. It's like kind of like New York.
Speaker 1: Well, i'll tell you this. I went to Detroit and I didn't know what to think. It was like there was maybe a block where there was two houses that were legit, and then like everything around looked like a bomb headed. And if it was California, they would have revitalized the whole thing. But you're like, wait, y'all lived here how long and it's still looking like.
Speaker 3: This and it's a whole city like that.
Speaker 1: I'm surprised when I go down to Detroit that people it's so hard to see past your environment growing up in it. But to get out of that environment, I have so much respect for people because it's like, man, bro, you had to see through the dirt. Yes, you had to see your dreams through like I don't know you'd have to. I don't know where do you get your inspiration from in Detroit? Is it TV?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Because well it's so violent there and it's so like you gotta like sell down on how far I can go in here, but you gotta like sell drugs and you gotta like do weird shit. Yeah, you know, like from sixteen yeah yeah, So you're doing some crazy stuff to get money. And then most of the time your mother's at work because they have Chrystler forward and like that. So a lot of people work in the plants, but if you work in a plant, you work in like twelve sixteen hours, so your parents are not around. So you grow up like really fast, like so extremely fast.
Speaker 1: You're growing up fast in Detroit. At what age do you decide I'm leaving.
Speaker 3: Soon as I graduated from high school, I said, you know what, I can't I can't live and then I was so disappointed. My grandmother lived in Harlem, New York, so I would go there every summer, and then like once, I was kind of too big, Like I could have either moved there or moved to LA, but I just chose to LA because I didn't know nothing about it.
Speaker 1: So, but what inspired you to move? Did you know you want to do comedy at that point or did you know you wanted to be in the industry like or you just wanted to get run me away from Detroit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I had to get the f away from Detroit. But I wanted to be an actor. I didn't even want to do comedy. I wanted to be an actor, and I thought in Detroit I couldn't like find a way to do that. It was like no outlets really, and then in New York it seems so serious. Yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Well, New York is also extremely fast paced compared to Detroit.
Speaker 3: Ferry like extremely.
Speaker 1: It's like if you go from Detroit to New York, I mean, if you make it from Detroit straight to New York. I mean you need them like an Olympic metal because the pace is completely different.
Speaker 3: You know, how we get there. I would leave at ten o'clock at night on the bus from Detroit, and like eleven o'clock, like in the before noon, I would be in New York.
Speaker 1: Okay. But even though you were familiar with New York, you still chose La. Yeah, okay, So you arrive in LA suitcase. What's going on? You're straight from high school. What's your pockets looking like?
Speaker 3: Nothing?
Speaker 1: What's your connects looking like? Nowhere you have no connects nothing.
Speaker 3: I just came out here.
Speaker 1: Okay. So you come out here and I hate the picture.
Speaker 3: I'm going to be a star. And I have my cousins, some cousins out here already, and they were like, okay, we heard that before. But I'm like, no, you don't get it. I'm going to be a star.
Speaker 1: So it's funny because everybody I meet from Detroit it seems like that is how it goes down. It's like, no, like when I moved out from New York, I didn't have nobody to like commadrate with, but I see Detroit people in the industry, they kind of stick together, like they're like family. You guys have your own college. What do you call it? Like fraternity? Almost you from Detroit? Okay? What what? What a dope? You second you hear that, you're like, oh, the fraternity just started, and you.
Speaker 3: Know, it's crazy about that. It's like it's so many comics that I that's from Detroit that I meet out here that I didn't know in Detroit, but they just instantly family.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, the Detroit. Yeah, you guys have a ride or die. I don't think New York has really had that because we meet people from New York and it's like, Okay, we're cool. But Detroit y'all is like, okay, you're a part of my hood. Now what you need just call. You know, you'll be crashing on each other's couches.
Speaker 3: Couch surfing. I slept on thousands of couches.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, okay, so you're in you're out here. How long would you say you were struggling before you got your first big opportunity?
Speaker 3: Wow? Say about about five years?
Speaker 1: Five years?
Speaker 3: Yes, I was, Yeah, of strug and you're.
Speaker 1: Only doing acting. You're not even doing comedy, right.
Speaker 3: So when I got to LA, I started doing comedy and well a little bit before that. But when I got to La, I started seeing like Ricky Harris and all these big guys, and I'm like, oh, okay, okay, well I'm really in comedy now, so I took it a little bit more serious, but it was it was the beautiful struggle. I was broke. I used to have to date fat girls that I don't like.
Speaker 1: And to like survive eat, Yeah, stuff like that. It seems to be the Detroit Player story of the year. Detroit guy's move here. They're like, well, let's find abroad. But it's weird because the culture in Detroit. You said, the women are harder.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, so you can't do that to them in Detroit.
Speaker 1: But in La it's like the land of the adopt adopter by friend.
Speaker 3: La is like the prettier girls they like give more than nicer, you know. So that's beautiful truck girls. This is beautiful Detroit girls. But it's just so hard to talk to.
Speaker 1: Defences are up well because Detroit.
Speaker 3: Kind of like New York, because you like New York people, girls they walk with the headphones on. You can't even talk to you. So it's kind of like that.
Speaker 1: I'm listening to my music.
Speaker 3: Then, So now they don't even turn around. It's like yo, yo, they just keep walking like yo the fuck. But yeah, Detroit was horrible at the time. It's beautiful to be from there because I knew what kind of real life was. But then once I got indulged in La, it was like I didn't go home for like eight years. So my mom didn't see me for like eight years.
Speaker 1: Oh you didn't even go back to visit.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: So comedy scene in LA is notorious for not paying comics. So which and what I've learned through eating while broke, guys, you ain't even eat it is I can't because I'm gonna be all up in your See you think you can sneak a bite, but when I hit you with a question, you're gonna have to swallow fast.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: But what I've learned is, you know, with the comedy scene, and you could correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like you got to pick your comedy club and kind of work at work, at work and to death right, and that's your loyal club, and then the rest of you're like a little pop up. So which was your loyalty club?
Speaker 3: I was you know, I was extremely lucky. When I first came here. I was like, what like seventeen eighteen, and I did a Fat Tuesday. My cousin. Damn, I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: You forgot your cousin name.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what's so funny. That's right, my funny. Keith watched it is my cousin. So he always tell me, don't call him older cuts. I'm saying I'm your older cut. Just tell your cousin. That's funny about that. But my cousin, he took me around like he took me shopping. He took me like the Mayl Rose first day, first day, and it took me Mayl Roads, took me to Roscos, took me all these places and got me off fresh. And he was like, I'm taking you to the comedy store. And it was fat Tuesday. So I was like, ah cool, like Snoop Dogg. Everybody was there. This is like right before Tupac got killed.
Speaker 1: He was wow, okay, whoa crazy? Okay?
Speaker 3: So I went up. They didn't want to let me up. I guess keep like Paige gud Tori a couple of dollars and he let me up and I got a standovation and Missy Shore, the owner of the comedy store, was sitting right in the audience get the freak out right, and she came right up to me like, you know, you want to be a regular, And I was like, what, sure, but I didn't even know what I was. Yeah, yeah, sure, Yeah, you're a paid regular and you kinda every night. So from that day on, I was every day, all three rooms. I would hit all three rooms.
Speaker 1: No way, But what was the pay looking at because comedy store doesn't really pay that much.
Speaker 3: Well, they pay like seventy five dollars if you pay record, so but imagine seven days a week going up at least twice yeah in nineteen ninety.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah. Shoot, First of all, you're going you're getting paid to tell jokes. There's no greater dream than that. I would love to take your career.
Speaker 3: If I was skilled, you could do it cracking junks forever. But yeah, that was like kind of a blessing. I mean, it wasn't the answer, but it was a little better. Everybody was jealous of me, like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that was your first night. Yes, sh okay, you hit home runs, so your confidence must have been through the roof through But you were still struggling.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then I would do extra work. I did shows like Moesha, I did Steve Harvey. Steve Harvey kicked me off the first day that was on it because he was like showing some shoes and you know, I'm from Detroit. We wear gators and he was like, should wear the gators or should where it is? And I was like, gators, but I kept walking because I know I don't know him. And he was like, come here, you little, you know, cussing me out, little, Come here? What you doing about gators? I was like, I'm from Detroit. And then this other dude that was from Detroit too, he was like, oh yeah, yeah, yeah, that's what we do. And then he like kept riding me. I don't know why. I don't know why, but it was That was cool because I left there and went to Molitia. That's where all my friends were. Okay you know what I'm saying, Like I met a lot of fans. I met Kobe Bryant there.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you made did you make?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 1: Because this industry is also I feel like this industry is weird because you make you don't really make friends in this game. It's like, once your season's done, the friendship time.
Speaker 3: Cards, everybody numbers changed.
Speaker 1: It's like, yo, we literally were in the trenches together for ten years, and now you don't take my calls.
Speaker 2: What the fuck?
Speaker 1: So it's like, if the contracts don't merge together, then the friendship's over. It's really weird.
Speaker 3: It is really weird. And yeah, it was kind of like that, a little like that Brandy. She always speaks to me though, so that's cool. I don't see Countess. I was a pallbearer for Lamon Bentley. That was like my first Hollywood friends and he was crazy as hell. But that was my boy though. And yeah, so and then Kobe was going with Brandy at the time. Remember, So that's when I met oh, okay, okay, and then later on in life I met him again. I met the eight Kobe eight and twenty four, okay, because like his wife was, you know, Mexican, is Mexican, and my girl at the time was Mexican. And they went to school together, okay, and we just randomly bunked into each other and I was like, oh shit, that's Kobe, right. I knew he wasn't gonna know me. That was like years later, so, but yeah, we got cool. Like Kobe was my boy, Like he used to give me ship. Every time he saw me, he gave me something crazy nice.
Speaker 1: So he's definitely a nice personality behind.
Speaker 3: The camera to me, he was, I mean, you know, he liked he was like acting because he knew nobody liked him really and he wanted to like leave La, but he just kept winning.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so he.
Speaker 3: Couldn't leave you know.
Speaker 1: Oh damn, I didn't know that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he because he knew no nobody liked him here, Like they just tolerated Kobe.
Speaker 1: If you ask me, you think so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because the two first three rings they say that he wouldn't have him without shot, so that's.
Speaker 1: The one major Yeah, yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: And then he got rid of shock. Yeah, and then he got called into that case and there was that case card. It was kind of over. Yeah, they really now they didn't have to like him like Kobe. Yeah, yeah, that was crazy.
Speaker 1: But it's crazy because like you know, after it's passing, it's like you can't go nowhere in La without seeing a Kobe. But that's how LA is for everyone that doesn't live in La, that's how LA is.
Speaker 3: Hey, they only like you when you die.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they don't like you. They don't like you. They don't like you. After you die, they tell.
Speaker 3: You how great you are.
Speaker 1: You can't hear that freaking sucks.
Speaker 3: That sucks. But that's all it.
Speaker 1: So, so after you're doing your comedy thing, you're struggling to to at least make money, but you're making connects and your waves in the industry. Okay, at what point in the industry do you feel like you got Okay, I'm really onto something.
Speaker 3: When they let me do comic view out here like everything. Okay, So a lot of things were going on when I lived in New York in Detroit, but I didn't get none of those TV shows until I moved to LA So it was like, so to me, it was the best thing I could have ever did, But none of those checks were like life changing. It was just like for the moment I could pay my rent. You know, I can get caught up all three months, so let me pay one and a half. But they were all like little things to get you, to make sure your confidence don't get shattered.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's all it is. It was like enough to keep you on the path, but not fully quick.
Speaker 3: Exactly like, you know, to keep you interested.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I feel like there was a part. I mean obviously, well you and I go back to the nick days. But I talked to you about this all the time. I was very young. I was like twenty two to however old. But I remember seeing grown on like struggling.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Like, and I'm a young person. I'm like, if y'all.
Speaker 2: Struggling, like right right, future?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was like shit, and you know, I'm in my I'm starting getting my late twenties. I'm like, shit, I may have to book it soon because this ain't looking too promising if the forty and fifty year olds are in the closets, I mean literally speaking in the closets and yeah, And that was like for me, it was like, yo, what are you in it for? And I started to come to the thing that like maybe some guys were in it for girls or status, but it definitely wasn't about money. And that's what I kind of started to learn about the industry, and I kind of was like, well, this this seems like more of a pimp game than it is.
Speaker 3: You know, it's the biggest form of the pimp game. And then it's more like for a comedian in LA like the stage time is the money. It's not like the money. You never see money like you like never see it. Get a job, yeah yeah, until then you have to go do extra work. You gotta go to the piece. And then now you think you're kind of famous because once you get popular, so you don't want a job.
Speaker 1: You don't want a real and that is the dilemma that I'm so confused about, Like would you ever want to get a real job after everything you've accomplished.
Speaker 3: I tried. I tried because I retired for eight years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I remember that.
Speaker 3: So when I first like retired like three months later, it was like, Okay, where's the money coming from? I ain't going on stage, so I don't want to go on the road, I don't want to I don't want to read the script, I don't want to do none of that. So where's the money coming? So I kind of look for odd jobs and get construction for a second, and then I like start growing.
Speaker 1: With eat, you know, but before you got to the step away point, because I want to get there with you. And I think that is probably one of the parts that I'm most intrigued about because I think a lot of people, at least I don't know people from our circle have been like this, I'm not doing it anymore besides you and me, because I took a ten year I think I took a ten year leave before I came back to eating while broke and I was like, oh, ship just off the roller decks. Oh yeah, I took a ten year leave.
Speaker 3: That's why you look so good? No, for real, Yeah, because you know, there's this city will beat you up.
Speaker 1: It will beat you up. But I was definitely I took a tenure leave. But it was mainly because you know, I saw people struggling for so many years, and it was men that It wasn't women, it was men with families. And I think that to me was just every day going into the office and seeing that I was like, you know.
Speaker 3: What, people arguing and having the worst attitudes. It was bad, man, It was bad. It was bad. But yeah, and at that time, I was just making kids. I wasn't trying to be no family. I was just.
Speaker 1: You were you were a kid, for you, for you, and you get pregnant.
Speaker 3: Yeah it was beautiful, beautiful.
Speaker 1: Are you how many kids you got? I got five again, Okay, well you're not nowhere near his nixt level of he went down fast in a year, so wow. But I have theories about that.
Speaker 3: I do too.
Speaker 1: I have theories because he was such a squeaky clean person when we knew him, like no drinking, no alcohol, no tattoos. I mean, of course he got the Mariah tattoos.
Speaker 3: He smokes weed.
Speaker 1: Now, yeah, he smokes me. I heard he may drink a little.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Okay, maybe I'm be lying. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: If you can have twenty kids in a month.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you, you have to drink. I have a theory. We'll get to it. But I have a theory that I think happened because if you knew you know, obviously, the way we saw him, he was very squeaky clean. Yeah, so as far as that side of life.
Speaker 3: Right, But he was hitting everybody he was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was always a whore. But you gotta think when we were around him the most, he was married to Mariah, So during that phase we didn't.
Speaker 3: See that well. I knew him like or he even got.
Speaker 1: Anything that I knew him before, and he was he got to I remember there was a point where he was doing like a g T was married to Mariah, and there was like a hall because I think he smashed so many people. And I think he had to be on set with the Pussycat doll girl and he smashed her too. You know what I'm saying. It was like, what lady has he not smashed?
Speaker 3: I heard that he was on a date with the pussycat girl and saw Mariah was like, here he had some cat money. It was in New York. Here's some cat money. I do something.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay. I didn't know that story, but I've always known that he was a woman's like. I don't. I don't think a lot of women ship. There was points where I don't want to get I remember there was a point when I think Caleb got a couple of calls because some of the chicks would show up to the studio. I swear to god, they would be wearing a paper thin dress and nothing under it.
Speaker 3: They was there trying to get on the show.
Speaker 1: They was trying to do something, trying to get a show. Shout out to Nick, though, shout out to Nick. So take me back. So you're you're you're riding the wave, You're starting to build up momentum. I think you came out here in the nineties.
Speaker 3: You said I came out here in ninety six. Okay, So so back to Nick Cannon. So then that's when I meet Nick. So we're still young, like okay, so I was like almost old enough to get in the club and he was like not old enough at all. So we would they would make us go to like the kitchen, stay away from the like alcohol, can be around alcohol. So it's like, so that's how we came We like got cool, came up, you know, like bond like that. So it's like, yeah, well if you get on, I'm gonna get on. If you get on that we did that them near blood Sacrifice then yeah. So it's like, so that's how we were still friends in those times when I met you, because they started from the beginning. And yeah, and so when I met Nick, we were both trying to like do something. He was trying to I was like, no, don't do extra work. You don't need to do that, Like, dude, you're gonna be something like trust me.
Speaker 1: It was this now prior to drumline.
Speaker 3: Huh, this is before drumping. Yeah, ok, yeah, this is before he didn't have anything. Yeah, he was just like going to Soul trained and then if if they don't you.
Speaker 1: Know how I used to do soul training. Oh man, the Soul trained hustle.
Speaker 3: Was real, right, So if you know, if they didn't pick you, then you know you have some So if he didn't get picked, he would come to my house.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know what I'm saying. So I didn't even know he did that hustle. Okay, I think everybody had to do the soul train hustle when first.
Speaker 3: I did it. At first, I just never got picked.
Speaker 1: Well, it's easier for the girls because the girls always got you always had a place train. Ironically, when I did Celebrity High, Soul Trained was the first person I pitched a partner up because they would have all that talent shoot over like two days, and I'd be like, yo, do the talent for my mag But I was so young. They were like kid. Get They were like, yes, it's cute, but just when the camera hit take your butt.
Speaker 3: We don't care about anything else.
Speaker 1: Was over there kissing every person. He could see. That's what does human They can't I definitely received the kiss from Shamar at one point in my life and it was like, dude's weird.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it wouldn't be interested, No, no, sorry guy.
Speaker 1: Luckily, luckily, I think he settled down. Well hopefully he has. If not, I mean the looks I guess on him, they definitely have a very you.
Speaker 3: Know, yeah, it's crazy. So look, So so I start are kind of coaching Nick on how to do comedy. You wanted to do comedy. His first manager name was Sam and he was from Detroit to ear. Yeah, so that's how I met Nick to his first manager. So but anyway, lost so.
Speaker 1: Short we and he wasn't writing for Nickelodeon at the time. No, he wasn't doing an okay okay, so you catch him right out. So that's why you guys were so close.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So, and then eventually he started getting gigs and I would ride with him, just be with him. You know, that's my brother, so you know. And then from that went to me doing more stand up. And then I had a group called the Other Level. When we came out here, three of us all from Detroit, and we were doing like wild'n out on stage. That was like the beginning of wile. So then Nick got a deal.
Speaker 4: And hire me Okay, So now were you did you know Nile at the time too, Well, you guys met me now later.
Speaker 3: Muchs later for me, I don't know. I don't even know how long Nick knew now, but I met now like when we started production. Yeah, but you know, now I's been there from day one two. He was the first head writer and now he's the CEO. About that he's had what crazy?
Speaker 1: I didn't know that.
Speaker 3: I know he was. I'm not sure about today, but wall'm out he's like the head guy waking out him and uh Goldman, Yeah, yeah, crazy.
Speaker 1: I know that.
Speaker 3: You know he came up.
Speaker 1: He came up, okay, yeah, because he was on here and he did share that when Nick got his record deal. You know, he was like the road manager for Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, now's been down forever.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: So so like me and Nick kind of okay, so before he became Nick Cannon and then when he became Nick Cannon, I saw him again and he was like, yo, where you've been here? You need some money? Great? He was like, yeah, I want to give your job, man, come on just to hang with me. And so but I was on the road a lot at that time, so I was seeing when I seen him, but then when he got walling out, it was history.
Speaker 1: That was it, you know.
Speaker 3: But you know, my other three partners were kind of mad about that because they felt like they should have been on the show. It never worried, okay, yeah, so that made it look like he kind of stole the show.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: So, oh yeah, yeah, and Nick knew everybody. He knew all of us. We were called the Other Level. You can google it. We had we had deals with Will Smith connects to Nick again.
Speaker 1: So you guys were doing the improv show and.
Speaker 3: Then right we would like do skids, we do improv, and then we would rap and then we would sing a song.
Speaker 1: So don't that song like that is exactly like thank you. So then he recruited.
Speaker 3: You, right because I was the leader of the group and his friend.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, of course. And then so he ends up getting a show deal. He puts you on the show of course your friends. So you're like, whatever, no need to.
Speaker 3: Well I had to take care of him for a while.
Speaker 1: Who the three other guys.
Speaker 3: Because we were all in la starting. Yeah, and now our show has been done, our show is happening, and I'm the only one on it, so I had to kind.
Speaker 1: Of yeah, yeah, to keep the peace.
Speaker 3: And their family too, So you know I would have did it.
Speaker 1: Do you think Nick felt some type of way about it or well, he wasn't friends with them, so he.
Speaker 3: Was friends with him. But I think Nick tried to just forget that. Yeah, like it's already moving, The train is already moving, so you know, let's not forget what we left behind. Let's just keep going forward. Yeah, you know, that's yeah, but you know what I'm saying. So, but you know, and it's not the down Nick or not. I'm just telling you history, you know, like, and if you ask him, if he don't say something close to this, he's lying yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well either way, it's but you can see as I'm saying, Yeah, I mean the way you say it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I only can say how it happened.
Speaker 1: So then all right, So then the show gets picked up. You're on the show, your popularity and your money starts to rise.
Speaker 3: Right. Well, first, first, here's another reason why I know that they knew they got the show for me. I was the first one to get fired before the show even aired, before we could take one episode. They fired me. Why because they said I was too in charge. They said I knew I would come out more. You know how everybody got yeah, well, well he's taking charge of everything because it was my show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you were yeah so and it's your show. You have an opinion, more input, and you're more passionate about it.
Speaker 3: Right, but anything, if anything, I was trying to like show them like, no, man, don't waste your time doing it this way. Let's do it this way and then it'll be faster, be funnier.
Speaker 1: So they fired you, But how'd you get back?
Speaker 3: Because I decided that they're not about to do my show without me. So I went back to the studio and Chris Spencer. Chris Spencer, uh, he seen me in the lobby and was like, why haven't you been here? And I was like, they fired me. It was like what. So he got nick and nick was like, man, you're not fired.
Speaker 4: Okay, Well come on man, suit up, okay, okay, So I remember.
Speaker 1: So that was around two thousand and five. Nicko was very young man. He wasn't the man he is today. Because I'm sorry, I have to add badges. By the way, we recently got married.
Speaker 3: Shout out, shout out, to mac Man.
Speaker 1: Congratulations. Yeah, I'm up to Mac probably a couple of years, going downtown LA randomly one night, but shout out to Mac. He was there, there, he was there. I think he exited maybe five years ago or six years ago, maybe somewhere around there. But back then, I don't think Nick had the power to really fire. Like nowadays, if you get fired, you'd be like, no, Nick pulled that trigger. Yeah, he may follow in your face, but he pulled that trigger. Yeah, definitely pulled it around.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And even if you're questioning it, nah, I don't question it.
Speaker 3: Don't question it. All you got to do is think about it. I know I know you here, well, you were there, so I know you hear me. So if you ever thought about why is this little guy so angry? That's what I used to be mad about. Yeah, yeah, like these niggas took the ship right in front of me.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you get brought back in, so you're taping. You're one of the originals. Okay, So your career starts to take all take you off even more. I'm sure your rate for comedy goes up right definitely, And now you're making art.
Speaker 3: Would you say real I would say, oh, the wild texts stupid. We were those first like eight seasons, well okay, all of the seasons until he got married, and then we broke off for like four years we didn't do a show, so that was and then when we came back that was the MTV two. So all of the original MTV shows we were getting one knee.
Speaker 1: Okay, And were you blowing it or were you budgeting it?
Speaker 3: I was. I had like two or three families at the time, so I was like, you know, I stayed broke. Yeah, you know what I'm saying, because you know, I got a couple of baby mamas and possible and you know, posible. I said, yeah, oh, possible because there was one baby that I wasn't sure it was mine, but I still kind of liked the girl, so I was and then it wasn't mine. So you know, stuff like that. A lot of girls said they have babies by me, but they won't take the test for some reason.
Speaker 1: Well that's yeah, well you can't take the testing.
Speaker 3: You can't take the testing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no child sport for you? Yeah, so are you on child sport?
Speaker 3: I paid child sport for my son Carlos, who's the Japanese guy with the Mexican name, how about that?
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, yeah, so you gotta okay.
Speaker 3: He's what sixteen now, so I won't be for a wow.
Speaker 1: But the rest of them, they didn't put you on.
Speaker 3: No, they they always had LLCs and companies, so I will have my money to Okay. Should I say that.
Speaker 1: I should not say that that none of these women listen to the show.
Speaker 3: I I'll just trying to.
Speaker 1: I love it. I love it, but like, I'm pretty sure there's some dude listening out there.
Speaker 3: Like she said, well, well, Bob, been trying to put your child sport forever. Why can't she do it? I was like, because I hired my money in companies, Like you're gonna show me how to do that?
Speaker 1: I was like, sure, that's so funny, that is hilarious. I'm sure there is a guy somewhere out there like checkmate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, get LLC and get a business account, and you get a business account then you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, said but don't do it to avoid oh no no, but definitely do it to even protect yourselfe how to protect yourself. I tell people all the time, if you're even a creator, no check should ever be written directly to you, no ever.
Speaker 3: And you know that's the biggest mistake in black Hollywood.
Speaker 1: Yeah I can see that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you got it. And it's so bad it don't matter.
Speaker 1: Just write me to check, write me to check.
Speaker 3: I signed it right here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you get And the crazy thing is like the other thing. Every time you fill out of W nine and someone's paying you, guys, and it's two hundreds, it doesn't matter how much it is. Think about it. You're signing W nine, you're going to get tax tax and if you're getting that check written directly to your you're gonna pay double the tax than you would as a corporation.
Speaker 3: I swear to God. So you got to get incorporated.
Speaker 1: Man, immediately. Immediately make sure those checks are not written to you. I don't care if you got to tell them delayed payment.
Speaker 4: Do not get that check written to I can't tell you how many times I've talked this lesson and.
Speaker 3: Take it.
Speaker 1: Katie and Jared OUTNN told y'all to get a corporation. Shout outs to y'all corporation. I preach it all day to be like you know what, this year will be the year, and they never do it. The day after the day I send them money to corporation will be the proudest day of my life. But right now they're going to pay double the tax.
Speaker 3: Gotta get that.
Speaker 1: They gotta get that.
Speaker 3: So that's what I've been doing for years, and it worked for me. I can't say that I made that much money to hide, but yeah, I was starving. You know how this shit go so so cool?
Speaker 1: You were breaking off these other guys, your careers taking off, Uh, your careers, taking off. Everything's going on.
Speaker 3: I'm on TV every day.
Speaker 1: Now, do you start to pick up vices?
Speaker 3: What do you mean, like cocaine and something? Yeah, something I used to It was like, okay, here's the thing about me and drugs. I like I like drugs.
Speaker 1: Can I say that you can always say that I love drugs.
Speaker 3: I love them. I mean mushrooms. I'll still take them. I think I'm still probably high right now. Mushrooms. Cocaine. I can't do as much because a lot of people died off cocaine. But it was a point where I used to like it, not cook it or nothing. Yeah, whatever, pills. I went through a pill phase, but it wasn't fun. I like cocaine okay, but but I don't like it now. I can't do it now, Oh you don't. So what to many people die?
Speaker 1: Did you know people that died?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Teddy b what comedians? Comedians? I don't want to name any names. I don't want to slander anybody. I think this is what I personally think. I think cocaine mixed with the shock.
Speaker 1: You yeah, yeah, Yeah, that's all I think. Well, okay, so the reason why I brought that up is because I feel like, you know, the double works and ministerious ways, whether it's girls, drugs or whatever. And I had to bring that up because, like I said, there was a point where I knew men in the industry that were broke, and I started to get to this point where it's like, if you're broke, then there's gotta be another vice that you're getting some level of achievement from the standard game. Yeah, I mean being around n Yeah, being around Nick, it was definitely you hang with Nick, you're gonna get free Hanging around Nick, you're gonna get free status. But you know, even with that, you had to still be smart enough to figure out how to make.
Speaker 3: Money because that was like before clout. So it wasn't like we were getting Instagram fans. Yeah, it was just more we had to learn how to make money from it. That was very hard. It's very hard to make money off the cloud. Yeah. Yeah, and you know and someone else like.
Speaker 1: You, so you could pull it off.
Speaker 3: But it just depends on the level of life and thinking you are.
Speaker 1: Because but there were guys working for free for years, and I felt like they must have been doing it for clout because there was no When I say, I was like, it doesn't even make logical sense.
Speaker 3: People were sleeping in the car.
Speaker 1: It was scariest to me. There's nothing more scary than seeing like older people broke around you. You'd be like, is this my best thing? Like coming from New York, you see homeless people and be like my parents would be like that person tried a cigarette. You'd be like, well, I've never tried a cigarette.
Speaker 4: Being in the game and seeing like a bunch of broke people around the one rich person, it's like, Okay, something's not adding up right.
Speaker 3: And then here's this too, like to be the only person with a sandwich and it's all these hungry motherfuckers around you, Like why didn't we kill Like it's like a little rulee, like, don't kill the person with the soundwich, gonna give you a piece, don't worry. Just have faith.
Speaker 1: Stories about people begging the person with a sandwich.
Speaker 3: They'll do it.
Speaker 1: The response wasn't really nice. Oh my god, it was terrible.
Speaker 3: Man, being in Hollywood for all this time, all these years. When I retired, the first thing people I'll notice people will say to me it was like, man, you are so stern. Man, you are so mean, Like because I was so used to hearing no all the time that I had like got immune to it, like no, that ain't ship like whatever, No, I'm waiting for the yes. But so people aren't used to that. I mean, but we don't know that because we like in this life. Yeah, but we don't get like the other side of life until we go over there and it's like what like people here know and cry and go to the hospital have a heart attack seizure.
Speaker 1: I'd be like, yes, another notework, one step closed, Let's get thirty more.
Speaker 3: Right, Like go on right, I'm telling you like know to me is like I don't know. Maybe.
Speaker 1: So you're enjoying your ride and you're doing well. You have a couple of little families, but at some point you decide I'm punching out at that point.
Speaker 3: The point, well, one of them was. I went to this audition and it was an ice Cube movie. It was called Lottery Ticket in the in the breakdown, it had for one of the characters of Spanky Hayes type. I'm like, well, shit, that's me. Everyone's calling me, every agency calling me. It's all about this one movie. So I go there. I read for about twenty times, literally in front of ice Cube, in front of O'sha's son, in front of his other son, in front of his wife, in front of this producer, front of that producer. I'm going to Detroit and see ice Cube and two of his sons on the same plane as me. I'm looking at him like, uh hello, I'm already on TVA day, man, come on, so make a loss short. One day I went and read and the lady said, you didn't read it like you would normally read it. I was like, well, I did this like thirty times, Like how many times do you want me to read it? I was like, and it says in the breakdowns a Spanky Hayes type. She said, we don't really want Spanky Hayes. So I was like, huh. So I was like, so you rather have a spanky Hayes type than real?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So they wanted like some kind of stereotypical version of you.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So I just kind of kicked all the computers down in the room and knocked all the ship down.
Speaker 1: And it's kind of you. I was just you were just pissed.
Speaker 3: I've never heard a person say we want someone just.
Speaker 1: Like you but not not.
Speaker 3: Yeah, It's like what that was crazy?
Speaker 1: So you lost it, totally lost it, and.
Speaker 3: I didn't verified. I'm pretty sure you was. I probably was blackballed after that, but I didn't. I didn't feel better about that until I watched Straight Out of Comptent and saw ice Cube.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you something, My favorite scene in Straight Out of Compton was the scene when he took a bat to everything. And it was mainly because when we had the celebrity high days, I had all these sponsors and they would take forever to pay. There were some months where I'd be like, Nick, I hate to come to you, but man, I can't afford my wrenck this month. Like I got money old, I just don't know when it's coming. And I was always in that position of like, I want to go up to this person's office be like, motherfucking you kill my company, give me my money. So that was like literally my favorite scene. But yes, okay, so you saw that scene and then.
Speaker 3: I thought better. I was like, ok but do you think.
Speaker 1: That was a real, real thing that happened.
Speaker 3: Well, it happened to me, So I can see how.
Speaker 1: When you decided okay, I'm checking out or slash, you may have gotten blackballed.
Speaker 3: I was thinking maybe, uh, but.
Speaker 1: See see did you try to apologize afterwards?
Speaker 3: No? I never reached back out to him. The only reason why I even wanted to watch the film is to see who they picked instead of me.
Speaker 1: Okay, and who did they pick.
Speaker 3: I don't even know the guy, but he's the guy. Remember he was like the d BO guy, the guy who kept taking ticket.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So I was reading for that part okay, okay.
Speaker 3: And they kept saying, well, you're too funny and what this is a comedy.
Speaker 1: That's crazy? It was, and I could see that being like a trigger, like you want someone like me but not me.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, I'm about to break all this ship in. So it's like I wish.
Speaker 1: I could have been a fly on the wall to see that.
Speaker 3: You know who was there? Okay, So remember in Destiny's Child it was it was first of all, it was four different ones. Was it was it was Kelly, it was Beyonce, and it was two other ones shorter, one else and then the other one who became actress LaToya. She was okay. So when I walked out the door, she was sitting right for real. I said, oh, I like your ship man. She was like whoa. She looked at me like, wow, you're a trip like so yeah. So at that point I was mad about that then, so I was like, I don't want to really do this no more. So then I went on the road a couple of times and I didn't really feel it, so I didn't really do it as good as I normally do. So I started, so it start kind of you know, and then Nick Cannon brought it while a'n now back, so I went that's when it was in New York and the checks were less than half of what they used. So I was like, so all of these signs, it's like, man, put this shit, man do something else. Like I was already famous. I already been famous for years. It was kind of my turn to kind of break off from them anyway and do my own thing. I just didn't really know and they weren't really giving like jobs at that time a lot, so boom. So I got a podcast right after that. I was one of the kind of like the first people to get a podcast. It was called The Spanky Hag Show. And one day I had asked, well, we were all asking each other questions because I kept it open, and somebody asked me, who do you think is gay in Hollywood? And I was like, I threw the question back, who you think is So it was my turn again and I just said okay. And if you didn't know this did like me and him were like beefed out.
Speaker 4: I did not know likeous, So you don't remember when did the video with the cold on?
Speaker 3: He was like yeah, that was about me. Oh my goodness, because I said he was gay and then he heard that I said that, and he did a video and then I did another video and.
Speaker 1: Was hilarious, Yeah that's hilarious. Yeah, that's really funny.
Speaker 3: So that kind of solidified the black ball with black people, because first of all, I'm making trouble and now calling people gay. Yeah, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So they But luckily it was long before the you know the.
Speaker 3: Right now right, No, it wasn't right now, I think, But I think I kind of started the short.
Speaker 1: Don't tell me you're the creator.
Speaker 3: I think I.
Speaker 1: Can culture GBT.
Speaker 3: I want to say I was one of the first.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like, let's rally a group of less now.
Speaker 3: But here's the thing. My cousin is gay. I have a couple of gay friends, a lot of gay friends. Actually, you know, I'm praised in Hollywood, so people know that I wasn't gay bashing. Yeah, it was just me calling somebody else. But he got so mad about it that we beefed out for a little while. So that helped me retire because I was like, okay, so at least I'm on a high note. I'm still on GMZ and I'm still doing this, but I don't want to do this no more so. And then I got a family, which I love so much. My wife is my beautiful wife. I don't know what I would do without her. She kind of she saved me from Hollywood. She like literally saved me.
Speaker 1: Like, no, bosh, what do you mean by that?
Speaker 3: Because okay, well, of course she knew who I was when when we met, but I would tell her like, look, call me Carlos.
Speaker 1: That's my real name, you know that.
Speaker 3: So call me Carlos. Don't call me Spanky, Like don't I'm not spanky. I am spanky, but don't just call me Carlos. And it's like I was like teaching her like the real me. I was like, look, if I wouldn't have left Hollywood and or met you, I would still be there and I wouldn't. I would be nothing. I would be like a junkie one way or the other.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's a deep statement.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because Hollywood is a fix. It's not real. It's like a fix. It's like a big ass check you get one time in your life and you keep trying to do the same thing to get another check like that, to.
Speaker 1: Get another hit. It's almost like chasing a high.
Speaker 3: Exactly that that's what it is. And then the more people see you, especially like when we were coming up, like nineties, early two thousands, it was a lot different, Like appearances meant they meant more. Yeah, like back in the up. So it was like now it's.
Speaker 1: Like Instagram era. Well, I feel like it's funny because now that we have Instagram, like in the air that we came from, it was definitely more celebrity driven. I think Instagram came out in two thousand and around twenty twelve to fifteen or something.
Speaker 3: Okay, damn, I was gonna say like three but.
Speaker 1: No, it wasn't then three face Yeah, yeah, Facebook or my Space, my Space, it was my Space. Facebook came out.
Speaker 3: Remember we used to hang out with Tom from my Space. Yeah yeah, yeah, I tell people that all the time.
Speaker 1: But now we're in the era where Instagram is, and I fear for the world we live in now in the sense of like people that aren't even celebrities are chasing highs from likes, and.
Speaker 3: I say this, I fucking hate Instagram talent. I'm not into it. They're not funny. Uh, they just stay on the phone all day. If it was that simple when I was coming up, I would be a gazillionaire.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I just feel like that that Instagram non talent stuff took away with the struggle of it, like the getting to know people and sleeping on people couches because because like at the end of the day, it's not about talent. And that's another thing that broke my heart when I found out it wasn't about how funny I was, and it wasn't about how many times I was funny, because you know, La, you got it. They judge you. Yeah, I've seen be funny like thirty times. You know, they judge you, they say shit like that. So but once I found out it wasn't about that. It's about relationships. It's like Hollywood relationship, you hit it.
Speaker 1: I think a keyword Hollywood, because I will say I don't know how New York is because I haven't really moved into industry out there, but I will say LA is all relationship.
Speaker 3: It's all relationships. It's just it's just like when you get something to your producer. You stuck to it. Now you're on whatever, the biggest show out and then you see me, Hey, what's up. That's how you get job.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But you want to know something that's tricky about the relationships in hollywod and this is kind of what I was touching on earlier. It's very like fluid. There's no deep connection. I mean we have, I mean there's few, like even from Incredible, I walked away with deep connections. But the people that I were even closer to I didn't walk away with that deep connection from them, and you're like, wait, I saw you every day, like you know, But I mean there's a like a secret respect. I guess you'd say, like, you know, an honorary respect. But even Nick Nick can't get your ass on our show but likes on the show. But like the truth in the matter is is like it's that honorary respect. It's like, yeah, you'll see the call, maybe you'll respond, but it's like if I'm not hot or we're not doing something together, there's no home ownership, then you know, maybe we'll pass to whatever is more convenient. But I definitely hate that about Hollywood.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they only hired the green like people who don't know that they're being took.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I liked what Orlando had said. He was like, you guys to look at Hollywood like a job. You're there to do your job, and when there's no job, you can't go to work.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 1: And that's how he said it. And I think that that was the best way to deal with it. But I think people coming into the game don't quite get that.
Speaker 3: They don't get it. And here's another thing. They don't get like they you're emulating. You're not. That's none of the stuff that they do is original. On TikTok, you can have you can put up a video and with your voice, and I could use your voice on my video, So that means you don't even have to use your own voice. I could get more hits than you. So that's crazy, Like that's absurd, Like I don't even and then they don't even know where they got the material from. They just doing it.
Speaker 1: I get a publicity request all the time for eating wone Broke and the email will say this person has fifteen million TikTok followers and there's a bet to release to EP And I'm like, wait, but it's TikTok where people are infamously like just voiceovers.
Speaker 3: Right, come on, not famous.
Speaker 1: Man, But you know, eyeballs equal dollars or what have you. But I definitely think that the industry has become diluted. But you're back in the game. Yes, So now that you're back, I want to know what made you come back, and I want to know what you got coming up.
Speaker 3: Well, I came back because I was going crazy trying to be normal.
Speaker 1: Really, yeah, I couldn't.
Speaker 3: I wanted to be a normal guy. And the more I was getting into it, oh man, that's not the life for me.
Speaker 1: Do you think it's because Hollywood kind of got you in the habit and this is the devil's advocate of chasing the high?
Speaker 3: I am definitely I was chasing the high.
Speaker 1: Because that many highs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I wasn't. I didn't even know I was chasing it, and I was chasing it. So it's crazy because I'm still like famous. And by the way, guys, famous ain't shit. If being famous is nothing, they're either gonna give you money or they're gonna give you fame. If they give you money that comes with a job, that fame, then that's just the famous gonna wear off before you spend your money.
Speaker 1: And it doesn't even equal money.
Speaker 3: Fame doesn't e never, and it's never both of those. Like in today's age is a little bit more than in the beginning of the two thousands. Like Kevin Hard is definitely rich, your famous, Nick Cannon is famous. Uh, day Spell is rich and famous? Uh who else?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I will say this though, I feel like there is a boyd this is probably gonna get me, But I do feel like even with the people you named, there was definitely a lot of white.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's all white.
Speaker 1: And that kind of what kind of led me to my theory about Nick a little bit, was like, there's a lot of power plays behind those big people. Granted Nick definitely plays chess not checkers, that that dude he could teach a master course of how to move in a room full of vultures.
Speaker 3: I think, like jay Z, you know, but but he became a vulture. That's that's what Nick is now, he's the vulture. I don't know, I mean in a good way. I'm not saying nothing bad my brother, but I'm saying he's adapted to the sharks. Well, yeah, I turned a shark. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I kind of think maybe he was always a shark.
Speaker 3: He was always a shark. He was sark.
Speaker 1: I would say this. I'll say this. One thing I learned about Nick, and I try to tell people, is like Nick's watching you before you even though he's looking oh yeah, you know, he'll read you, but you'll think he didn't even see you in the corner of the room.
Speaker 3: He saw hours ago everything and.
Speaker 1: He's listening to everything. And that's one thing. And I think, you know, and I think it's dangerous in this industry. As ego, I always tell people, Man, you got beef, don't put it on no email seeing people, don't put in a group of text, don't even tell nobody. Just go direct to source, because that's it.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be all over the place, it's gonna be out of proportion. But listen back to the internet comedians. You know, I feel like the reason why I don't like them is because they took a lot of my confidence and a lot of not my confidence, but my structure in my blueprint to comedy like I was. I did comedy like fearless. There's only a few people like me. I would say, I got some of it from T. K. Kirklin and you know, but in my own version of it. And then I would say something like Corey Holcomb is kind of ballsy like that in a sense, but but he went further because I.
Speaker 1: Wasn't there anymore.
Speaker 3: Nobody was there anymore. So it was nobody calling people out. It was nobody being real, and that's what it is now. They took that. I feel like I'm like Lil Wayne like because like all the comedians now are like my sons. They took all stuff from me and they don't even know who their daddy is. They don't even care who they did.
Speaker 1: You're hilarious. I think in some retrospects they know, and maybe that's where their way of, you know, pay.
Speaker 3: To me. I go back to what we said earlier, like you know, it's like they don't give you no props to you dead, Like nobody's ever gonna say this, Like I'm gonna sound crazy when they when you show this, they can be like, oh, he's so arrogating all that. But watch when I die, they're gonna say, who started Wilie nowt he's the one who's Yeah, come on, man, give me my flowers now man especial flowers.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about what you got coming up? Okay, the Comeback.
Speaker 3: Kid, The Comeback Kid. I got a movie called Back on the Strip that comes out August eighteen. I'm trying to remember everybody. It has Wesley Snipes, Tiffany Hattish, Bill Bellamley, who's one of my favorite guys, uh, Kevin Hart, Gary Owens, faise I love.
Speaker 1: These are a lot of heavy.
Speaker 3: Hitters, Yeah, I said, Tiffany. Uh, and the guy ain't gonna kill me. His name is Spencer Moore, but Spencer Moore played the kid in Creed three, so when the kid went to jail, it was the guy who went to jail. He's like the star of it. So and it's directed by Chris Spencer.
Speaker 1: Oh shit, Christ, I'm trying to get Chris Spencer on the show.
Speaker 3: I'll help you.
Speaker 1: And then are you doing are you doing the I know Chris Spencer has that show up in Englewood. What's it called? Are you doing those shows anymore?
Speaker 3: Oh? Yeah, the back Yeah, I haven't done it yet.
Speaker 1: But so how did you end up getting like from being in retirement? Did you get a phone call?
Speaker 2: Like a man?
Speaker 1: We put that jersey back on? We need?
Speaker 3: I was, uh, this is crazy. So me and my family we went and by the way, I love my family. Hello family. My wife. I got a daughter named Jedi, daughter named Lily, and a son named Kobe. So we Kobe wasn't born yet. Man, So I was deciding to move back to Detroit because I wanted to move back and see my mom and stuff. Right, So it wasn't really going as well as I wanted it to go. So I didn't know what I was gonna do. I was like in the Airbnb and Chris just caused me out the book, see what you're doing? Where are you at right now? Detroit Ton to Vegas? I was like, what do you mean coming Vegas? He was like, I got a movie roll for you. Like what, Like, come on man, good plan? He was like, no, I'm serious. He was like, the only thing, you got to get tested and make sure you don't got COVID before you can get on the plane. So I was like, okay, I could do that, and they played they paid for my plane, and I paid for my wife and daughter's plane and now we're back on the West coast. Wow, that's crazy. And I was like a year.
Speaker 1: Ago, Yeah, now you're back.
Speaker 3: I'm back now. And I got other movies coming out on to B and stuff like that. But you know, I don't count to be uh to be actors, you are not a real.
Speaker 1: Don't say that.
Speaker 3: If you don't get checks from SAG, you're not real.
Speaker 1: Wait to be UH doesn't get checks from.
Speaker 3: No, that's like bootleg shot. I mean nothing against them because I've done some Tooby.
Speaker 1: Movies, but but does to be paid decent.
Speaker 3: Toby is kind of like a gig, like like a contractor. You get as much money as you negotia and it's right there. You get it right now. No, it's not not sacked.
Speaker 1: Okay, non union on behalf of everybody. I'm gonna give you your flowers here. I really appreciate you coming out and trust me, I was look, I was so like excited. I was like, Spanky, I'm gonna remind you, and I did. Good morning, Spanky. Don't forget. I'll see you today. I'm gonna see it in a couple of days.
Speaker 3: Oh, don't forget. I cannot forget this. I'm shooting a Netflix special September eleven.
Speaker 1: Right, that's the biggest news of it all.
Speaker 3: So you know it's gonna be the bomb.
Speaker 1: Wait a minute, wait a minute, September eleventh. You haven't shot it yet at.
Speaker 3: The comedy store on Sunset.
Speaker 1: That's home turf, So get the freak out. So now that you're damn you came back swinging.
Speaker 3: Man, I'm trying.
Speaker 1: I freaking now. Guys. Now I'm in debate. Should we be dropping this?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Definitely eighteen Yeah, okay, we go, we go, we go with you. But damn, that's great news. Oh ship high five, happy for you.
Speaker 3: Know how long it took for us to get here, man, you know the struggles and still smiling.
Speaker 1: That's how did you pull the Netflix? Did they call you?
Speaker 3: This is another crazy story. So I go in and I go in the comedy store. I see Kanye. You know, Kanye has been down with us a long time.
Speaker 1: Kanye West, that's what I thought you said. I didn't know that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, like a million times in the beginning.
Speaker 1: You nick and not me. Unfortunately.
Speaker 3: You know, Kanye, that's my man. So I seen Kanye walking in and I'm like, oh, Shay, what's up. And we start talking and I'm like, what's going on? And then I see Dave and then he walks away. He was like, oh you next, and I'm like huh and then he like walks out and all this ship is happening in one time. And then next thing you know, I'm on stage like tearing the ass up and.
Speaker 1: At the comedy store.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I got the only I got another Standovation. That's crazy. But I was the only one of that night to get Atnovation, and I was like the last. I think only two more people went after. So I was like way at the end of the night. So it was like, yeah, you're it so.
Speaker 1: So, but where was how was Netflix? How did the Netflix?
Speaker 3: Well, it was a Netflix showcase.
Speaker 1: It was a Netflix showcase.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah. Dave Chappelle had is doing like a Dave Sappelle present.
Speaker 1: Oh, it was like, how he did? I think he did that with Earthquake.
Speaker 3: Right right, But I think it's kind of more. I think it's like more like death jam what he's doing.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, oh yeah, let's get it.
Speaker 1: And Kanye was there.
Speaker 3: And Kanye was right there and he was We took a whole bunch of pictures and I got viral real fast.
Speaker 1: Hell yeah, you know it's crazy. I think this time around you you feel, well, obviously you've matured in your experience. You've definitely taken it in and let it sit within you. I feel like the second time around is going to be a truly beautiful experience.
Speaker 3: Man, me too. But I'm gonna tell you why. It's because I already did it for me. So it's like I already have my fun. Yeah, so I have to feed my children that I see every day, my beautiful girls and my son and my wife, Like I'm doing it for them. So the world is in trouble because now I don't have to worry about what people think about me, and I don't care about that no more. I'm just trying to get these checks.
Speaker 1: So are you at all nervous about like the temptations or anything, or what's your plan, because I feel like the temptations can be there, like you have a plan for that.
Speaker 3: I'm so like in love with my family.
Speaker 1: That I feel every time you say that, you know.
Speaker 3: I mean, I mean, I would probably just try to talk my wife into doing it with with me.
Speaker 1: You're hilarious, I mean, but you know I wouldn't do it bout myself though. Yeah, but no, I feel like every time I talk to you, the way you talk about your wife and your family, like I hear it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they saved me. They saved me because like even in California, working in Hollywood, I only could find a baby mama, that's it. And as soon as I went away from Hollywood, I found my wife.
Speaker 1: So I'm like, and he was met her in Vegas.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I met in Vegas of all places.
Speaker 1: Shout outs to your wife, Yeah what's up? Yeah yeah, yeah, Shae Hayes, Well thank you so much for fixing me the broke.
Speaker 3: Okay, for real, I did.
Speaker 1: But this is the thing. Okay, I could eat this whole thing, right, but when I'm interviewing you, it'd be like follow fast. There's no way, especially with this amount of serving. But did I like it? Yes? Will my daughter be eating it? I will personally take a picture and say, look at my daughter because yeah, probably be tomorrow's day, I promise you, because sometimes I'm so desperate for like what am I going to make it?
Speaker 3: I'm telling and it's so simple, a little bit of salt.
Speaker 1: I may the only thing I may do is maybe boil some broccoli and put it in there. Okay, I ground that, you know, I can surround it out.
Speaker 3: I can see that.
Speaker 1: But overall, as far as fast on the run, less than twenty minute mom meal. Shit, if you're trying to throw your kid out the door, this.
Speaker 3: Is gonna hit and they're gonna be full too.
Speaker 1: Yes, how can people keep up with you?
Speaker 3: I prefer that they don't, But come on you back, okay? Well official Spinky Hayes is my Instagram and Carlos Hayes is my Facebook.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah cool, and I'll be checking in and I'm gonna be giving you as many roses possible. I definitely want to come out and support any opportunity.
Speaker 3: Man, please do it, and I would love to come back to this show anytime. Man. Shout out to Charlemagne, to God. I just want to thank you Charlemagne for making me dunky other day. Two times. You know what I mean? I got two times? Thank you, Charlemagne.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, hey, you know what, whether it's bad press or good press, it's still press.
Speaker 3: I just called it the Bobby Brown. Bobby Brown. They talked about him bad and good. It didn't matter.
Speaker 1: It doesn't matter as long as they talking about you exactly. But you're back. I'm back and we're excited to give you roses now.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Thank you guys for listening. Peace out, Peace for more eating while broke from iHeartRadio and The Black Effect, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.