Speaker 1: Stramp on the boots and scrape up the knuckles. Hold it ahead, he got jacked.
Speaker 2: This is the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert Barry's.
Speaker 3: Gonna score touchdown Slim to the ground by Buddha Baker. Like a torpedo, he keeps flying into the back deal.
Speaker 2: The Rage is brought to you by santan Ford and Gilbert right on the Price right on the corner of the Santan two oh two Freeway in bal Vista Seek your Ticket to Great Seats, and by Arizona Cardinals Podcast visit Azycardinals dot Com Slash podcast.
Speaker 1: A Red Sea is rising up.
Speaker 4: Due you Rising vision Flurry Rage, take it over.
Speaker 5: Here's Paul CALVICI I'm ready. I'm one hundred percent ready.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you I'm ready. And Ron Woolfley. It doesn't get any better than that.
Speaker 5: Tis that time of year, twas the night before rookie Mini camp, where every draft pick, at least at this point is a starter right heck on paper, every pick is a pro bowler. The NFL is the oyster, as the saying goes, until it isn't until a ten year veteran sea otter comes and grabs your oyster and serves you.
Speaker 1: Up for lunch.
Speaker 5: Indeed, ball that is life in the NFL. Eat or be eaten. That's the way it works. As we start this drive for the final fifty three, the Fight for fifty three, it is the Big Red Rage, presented by santan Ford and Gilbert Well Santane Ford, and soon enough we will be joined by Xavier Thomas, the Cardinals, big time rookie out of Clemson. I mean, you talk about a guy's resume, there is a lot to talk about with and two Xavier Thomas about But first Wolf here we are Big Red Rage right this week it's the rookies. Next week it's the schedule release. There ain't no such thing as a stinking off season. It's always something around here in the Big Red Rage.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Paulli, there's no doubt about it right now. But I will tell you just the fact the rookies are here for the Rookie Mini Camp. It brings back an awful lot of memories, Paul.
Speaker 5: Okay, so tell me about that.
Speaker 1: All of them are good.
Speaker 5: Round four Once upon a time pick one oh four, which, by the way, I don't know why tip Ryman is your favorite player. It should be the Rabbit. It should be Dadrean Taylor Demson because he was also picked one oh four in round four. We'll get to that a little bit later, but tell us about Okay, we heard your draft day story, but what about your first arrival on NFL soil back in the day.
Speaker 1: Oh, it was so tough, PAULI. Of course I was drafted by the then Saint Louis Cardinals. Of course, Bush Stadium is where they literally had their locker room and where they worked out their weight room, and everything was set up in Bush Stadium for the most part right there. And I'll never forget back then, Pauli. After you were drafted, I would say a week after, two weeks after, some somewhere in that window right there, they would bring everybody together for a three day mini camp. A three day mini camp. That's what you had, was a three day mini camp, and then they'd say goodbye to you until training camp. That was the off season, now, Pauli. Some guys hung out in Saint Louis. Some guys lived in Saint Louis, and of course they would work out together in Saint Louis because they wanted to live in the city in which they played, of course, so it was a little bit different back then. But I'll never forget my first day walking into that locker room right there, and I mean, you're looking at Otis Anderson, You're looking at Stump, Mitchell, Neil Lomack's Roy Jetstream Green. You know, You're you're looking at some guys that you knew their names and you knew how good they were. But I walked in there and I was this sheepish rookie from West by God, Virginia, And suddenly I had the offensive coordinator walk up to me. I had been in the locker room maybe seventeen minutes maybe, and I had Dick Jamison, the offensive coordinator for the Saint Louis Cardinals, walk up to me and said, are you Wolfly? And I said yeah, and I shook his hand and he looked at me, Paul up and down and said, I thought you were bigger than this. Geez. That's what he said to me. Can you That was my beginning in the National Football League.
Speaker 5: So that was your welcome to the NFL moment. Yes, off the field, and then sure enough you found out about on the field. Okay, So there you go. There's a moment and I'm going to bring up the following because on the most recent Pash Pot the Day Pash podcast, Mani Assiboord the GM was the guest. It's known in the business as a good get. Okay, we're gonna hear from Mani in a moment, But do you know what last year's rookie class heard from the general manager one or two days after last season. I have it from good sources that Mani ausen for it, got his first over Arizona Cardinals draft class, and it was a stellar draft class. Absolutely let the rooks cook. Nobody got more snaps and more starts out of the rookie class in the Arizona Cardinals a year ago. In the NFL, he got everyone in that room and he said, gentlemen, my job as an NFL general manager is to replace every one of you. And I'm told you could hear a pin drop every one of those guys who thought, Okay, I just made it through my rookie year. I've arrived.
Speaker 1: I'm the man.
Speaker 5: I got an NFL career straight ahead, not so fast, not so much. None of this is guaranteed. He made it clear you're going to have to compete for your job every single year, and so I just thought it was really interesting because it goes into the culture. Yes, does it not going to compete and prove yourself on a daily basis?
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, Pauali. You know, once again, forget about the daily it's just prove it, Paul. That's what it is right there. But it does veal the culture the Arizona Cardinals have here. Listen, guys, we love you. We drafted you, we're bringing you in here. We signed you as a free agent, whatever it may be, because we think you fit our culture that is here right now. But never forget just because we may have signed you as a free agent, just because we may have drafted you, never forget that you can be replaced. And that is something that I remember Ken Wizenhunt when he first started here, Yes, go all the way back his first year as a head coach man. He made it known this is going to be about competition. I don't care what your last name is on the back of her jersey. This is going to be about competition. I think Manti asen Fort believes that, and so does JG.
Speaker 5: Speaking of last names on the back of a jersey, it's a good segue.
Speaker 1: Ron wolf Lee, thank you both.
Speaker 5: We saw Marvin Arrison Junior post this week to his Instagram account he's going to be number eighteen. Yes, interesting because on draft night word was o Jelai was pretty shall we say, vested in that number. So some sort of serious negotiations we presume happened behind the scenes.
Speaker 1: So what do you think it was, Polly? Honestly, right now, it had to be something where Marvin Harrison Junior had to walk up and say, you know what, bej how much do you want me to donate to your favorite charity? How much? Was it?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 1: Sure something happened or charity?
Speaker 5: And what are you going to donate into my garage? It's one of the other or both. We'll see. But speaking of names, look, he's got everything. He's the son of a Hall of Famer, right. Yes, he has a production at Ohio State. He was a Heisman finalist bullet and a Cough Award winner as a top receiver in the country. But to your point, it's more than just what you put on film and what you put in the box score and Mantia support talked about that in regards to Marvin Harrison junior the number four pick overall.
Speaker 1: With Dave Pash.
Speaker 7: One thing that's really unique about Marvin, and it's not surprising based on where he's come from and his day and seeing his dad, but just the plan that Marvin has and the plan that Marvin has had since high school and he carried that into college and I know he's going to carry it this week when he comes in here for the first time on Thursday. Just the plan on how to get better and the way he takes care of his body, the rehab, the prehab, the plan he has for catching extra balls on a jugs machine. Marvin's a very talented individual, but Marvin doesn't rest on his talent. He's pushing himself. He's working to get better. He wants to be great.
Speaker 5: And then Money I'll support added with Dave Pash that after the thirty visit, Money could definitely see him in an Arizona Cardinals uniform. Yes, And if the Cardinals were to stick and pick at number four, he was pretty darn convicted Marvin Harrison was worthy of that selection.
Speaker 1: Just absolutely love the draft class. And you know what's amazing, Paul, I know you've talked to some of these guys as well, these rookies right now, and we're getting some exposure to them, whether it was over the phone interviewing them or whether it's in person right now. To me, the big takeaway I have it doesn't matter if you play corner or if you play a free technique on the defensive line, you're basically the same guy. They appear to be drafting, the same type of personality, the same type of individual, and I absolutely not only love it, endorse it one hundred percent.
Speaker 5: Is it capsualized in their term all ball all ball, that's what it is. They are seeking guys who are deadly serious about the game and the business of football. And guess what one feeds into another. The new draft picks feed into the team. The team sets the culture for the picks. In fact, Maniasiford talked to Dave about that this week.
Speaker 7: When our new players get here, that's the responsibility of them to look around and say, well, this is how we work, this is how we meet, this is how we practice, this is how we lift, this is how we eat. That's when the culture starts running itself. When we have the people in the building that are operating at a high level and doing it consistently. That's how a culture gets to established, and that's how a culture gets sustained.
Speaker 5: Or when the veterans are modeling that yah poling, they're not just talking about it, but that's their actual behavior, and that's what they're doing behind the scenes. And you know, we'll first hand when when the veteran guys are holding the younger guys accountable to those actions. Oh yeah, then all of a sudden, okay, you know, it's turnkey at that point.
Speaker 1: It really is. It just makes so much sense right now. It's one of the reasons why culture starts with a philosophy. It's an idea, it's how you want to do things. Now you have to go get human beings who totally agree with that and will not only agree with it, they'll live it in front of everybody else. And to Moni's point, now that you've got guys like that inside that locker room here, it is now you're just gonna draft more guys who are like minded, draft more guys like that and bring them in and they'll just watch the other guys and the older guys and how they do things because you've already established what it is you want your culture to be and now they'll model it for everybody else. Just brilliant.
Speaker 5: And when I hear about players like that, I think of instant impact. I think they're equipped to come in and actually contribute right away. They're not kids, they're professionals.
Speaker 1: I'm still gonna take a prove it rookie mentality, Sorry.
Speaker 5: Paul, Hey be the first among the first to buy Cardinals single game tickets. Register now and get single game ticket purchase link sent to you directly as the schedule is released right now. That's gonna be next Wednesday. Okay, go to Azycardinals dot com slash first to buy, Azycardinals dot com first to buy for all the info. Once again, they're gonna send you a link. You could be among the first take a look at the schedule. There are some stellar matchups coming our way. Azycardinals dot Com slash first to buy all right out of high school. He was ready to ahead of Micah Parsons. Xavier Thomas's next on the big red.
Speaker 4: Rage empty sent for Martello on the third down and sad and he gets Thomas. Savior Thomas the first Tiger in there. It's the twenty five yard line by Savior.
Speaker 3: Thomas inside the ten and Thomas out of bounds inside.
Speaker 4: The five yard line.
Speaker 8: The thing that stands out with his speed is his get off, and he really stresses tackles to have to kick to get out to him right. So one thing I loved about that his speed brings to his game, specifically his pass rush as his ability to win with speed and then transition to power.
Speaker 1: For a rookie.
Speaker 8: I thought his pass rush technique was pretty polished up.
Speaker 5: As Cardinals defensive coordinator Nick Rowless and in a twelve player draft class marked by intrigue, I mean just dripping with potential and production, athleticism and accomplishments. Ron Wofully, my eye keeps going back to one scout and report. I'm just wondering about what's under the hood, what's in store. And he happens to be our special guest tonight on The Big Red Rage presented by sand tan Ford and Gilbert. Xavier Thomas guest tonight, And uh, you know, let's just start with that. Okay, I've heard XT, We've heard Z. What do you like to go by Xavier?
Speaker 1: Definitely?
Speaker 9: Then I got the nickname next once I got to college and I just ran with it. That's what the Climpton fan base gave me, and teammateson coaches and things like that. But I grew up being college but so it's really whatever, whatever everybody prefers, I don't really mind whatever.
Speaker 1: So, Jay, I've got to ask you this right now. Mid Draft day is always a special day. I played ten years of the NFL. I was telling you, I think back to that day I got drafted. Man, just an incredible experience. Give me your draft experience. What was it like? Who were you with?
Speaker 9: That was with all my family and my friends that I grew up with. I did in Charlotte, North Carolina, because I'm from Florence, South Carolina, and it was the most nutrous spot for family and friends to be at and just sitting there just waiting to hear my name called. It was actually crazy how it happened because I had went on Twitter as soon as right before the fifth round started, about ten minutes before, I tweeted out come get a dog, And ten minutes later that's when I got the call for So it was it was a crazy time. And I don't know if they saw the tweet or what, but it was some crazy time in there.
Speaker 5: If we would ask you before the draft, all right, Arizona Cardinals. Did you have a gut feel did you think it might have been Arizona.
Speaker 9: I didn't think it was gonna be Arizona. The only gut fill I had was Houston. I had a few Top thirty visits with and obviously Cardinals was one of them, and I knew there was a possibility. But my gut feeling was Houston, and because I knew that they had really, really wanted me based off the conversation I had with them, and that's why I felt like it was going to grab me. But then obviously I got the call. I saw Arizona under the call log when I was it was ringing, and that's the call I got.
Speaker 1: So is that you grew up in South Carolina? Correct? Yeah? Where did you go to high school?
Speaker 9: I went to Wilson High School and for my first three years of high school, and then I transferred to IMG for my senior year. So I went to IMG Academy for my senior year just to It was a bad coaching situation back in and I wanted to prepare myself for college more so that's why I decided to go to I MG.
Speaker 1: Okay, did you play any other sports?
Speaker 9: I played base baseball. I was actually my first sport growing up. I was a really good baseball player. But I stopped playing in my freshman year of high school because my high school football coach convinced me to stop playing because I started getting recruited football. I wish I didn't stop, though, because I was really good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what did you play?
Speaker 9: I was an outfitter in first basement, but especially was definitely you tried a little pop saying I was. I was home run derby champion for five years in a row.
Speaker 1: Wow, pleasure.
Speaker 5: Hey Cardinals Round five rookie Xavier Thomas, our guest in the Big Red Rage presented by Santan Ford in Gilbert. So the fact that you ended up being the number three ranked football prospect in the country by the time you were senior in high school, yes, there obviously the coach saw something in you. And then you go in and you were freshman All American at Clemson. Name some of the guys who were on that defensive front your first year or two at Clemson.
Speaker 9: Yes, sir, So those those guys that I was in front of me, you got Cleveland Farrow Austin Bryant, Dexter, Lawrence, Kristen Wilkins, and then watching those guys, watching those guys play and just not even play, but the way they worked weekend, week out because they have returned that year because they wanted to win a national championship, which is what we did my freshman year, and being to be a part of Being able to be a part of that and learn from those guys was just such a blessing. Just being able to pick up the things that they would teach medium regards to how you prepare for the game and how you respect the game, and how you respect these opponents each week, and just learning from them was definitely a blessing in this guys.
Speaker 1: So zay, how what's your way at right now? You want to be? There are two fifty It's okay, Yeah, so you're you're in shape right now, You're right where you want to be when you're gonna play right How would you describe your edge play in the game of football?
Speaker 9: I would say, really, just a relentless effort is what I bring to the table. I'll treat every play like as my last, and I'm always just being relentless to the quarterback, no matter where. If I'm away from the ball, if it goes away from me, if it's a screen pass, I'm running to it. I'm trying to track it down. Just trying to make a play at all times and just be an impact, impact player, whether the ball is away from me or coming to me.
Speaker 5: Was there anything about your scatter report? You know, there's all these scatter reports floating around for months leading up to the draft. Anything that irked you? He said, you know what, that's not accurate because you're a lot of guys say they never forget some of the things that were said about them coming out of college and it drove them. Was there anything out there that you're like, you know what, No, and I'm gonna prove that wrong.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would say.
Speaker 9: I mean the number one thing I hated seeing with people would say like, oh, he was always injured and blah blah blah blah. But I've only had one injury and which I suffered in twenty twenty two. Outside of that, I was going through different things that I had to set out a couple of years. I only played three years in college because I was I had a reset after that twenty twenty years. So that's part of the only thing that I don't like seeing is the injury thing because I've only had one injury. Like, I've been healthy my whole career outside of those a couple of years that I had to sit out, and those were due to things I was going through back at home, that type of thing, so when I had to reset on life. So just coming through out of that and then when I hate seeing I guess some people are like big on stats and things like that, but they don't understand the game of football and high it works and how you impact the game as an age rusher. So I'm ready to really make my mark and how the card Excuse.
Speaker 5: Me, your head coach at Clemson Doabo Sweeney told USA Today quote, I'm super proud of xt because he got to a place that a lot of people don't recover from, but he communicated and sought out help. What's the best way to summarize what you went through and then how you got out.
Speaker 9: Of it, Yes, sir, so coming out of college, like you said, I was a number three recruit. I had a lot of success early on as an eighteen nineteen year old kid and had a freshman all American win a national championship. Sophomore year, we went back to the national championship, and then junior year was going to be my third year, and everybody was telling me I'm a three and out guy, first rounder, all that type of thing, and that COVID year hit, which was my third year, and we all were sent home and things like that, and I had got about I was going through some things back home and dealing with some things on my own, not really talking to anybody about it, and I isolated myself and got about like fifty pounds overweight. So in coming out of it that it had it was like a disappointment thing to where I didn't know if I was gonna play football again because I was so disappointed in myself in regards to where I was and what I had always That was the real adversity, the first real aversity that I ever faced as a young guy, like because I had so much success early on, so I had to really dial in back to myself and get myself back to where I needed to be. That's why I had sat out a couple of years and to really get myself back to where I needed to be to continue playing football and get back to where I knew I could be and what I had worked my entire life for. So that's what I had did come out of that gave my life over the Christ in twenty twenty two, and that's where I really talked back into my faith in regards to who I was as a person and not even just a football player. So that's how I got myself back out of that. And that's when I first suffered my first career injury, which was in twenty twenty two when I broke my foot, and that was but I was able to deal with that so easily just because of what I dealt with in twenty twenty doing that, doing that tough time, with facing that adversity that I did face, and being at my lords ready to didn't know if I was gonna play football again. So I was able to deal with that injury pretty easily. In regards to having my faith in the right to and things like that.
Speaker 1: Well, that is incredible right there. It really is. I share that exact same faith as well, buddy, There's no doubt about it. It's I'm glad for you. That's Jesus was able to actually bring you out of that that's really truly amazing. Let me ask you this right here, what is your expectation going into your rookie season. What is it?
Speaker 9: We just want to get into respect of my teammates and my coaches and come in here and make it and be an impact Flayer no matter what it is, it as an rotation of pass rusher or as a special teams player, whatever I need to do, just come here and be an impact with flayir on and off the field.
Speaker 1: So you've got no problem playing special team, no problem. That's one of the best parts of the game.
Speaker 5: By the way, you're you're looking a guy who went to four Pro Bowls as a special teamer. So that's that's the essence of that question over there. So I mentioned your scutter report. When I see you at the fourth fastest forty at the combine of the edge guys you know and Chop Robinson, Jared Verse, et cetera. What how much do you think you can prove at this level? That is still an unknown just because of the way. Look, we all know how your career started, but the way it ended and maybe you're under the radar to some degree.
Speaker 9: Yeah, one hundred percent, I'm ready to really just elevate my game to another level in regards to getting professional coaching and really just doing those different things that really I can take my pass rush game to the next level and really elevate myself. That's what I plan on doing, and put my best foot forward and just really having a It's gonna be a drastic amount of production based off what I have from college to now, for sure.
Speaker 1: So if you were looking at yourself and you were scouting yourself, what do you think your strengths are?
Speaker 9: Say, I say my strengths are definitely my speed obviously, and then I can translate that to power very well in regards to making the tackle kick back, because a lot of tackle's gonna play my speed because I'm a speed rusher. But I can really translate that into my power in regards to having a long arm and throw by things like that. So I definitely that and just my relentless effort like I was talking about earlier, That's what I pride myself on just being because if you look at it, obviously guys win at the top of the rush and win a pass rush rep. But most of the Saxon and NFL you get, you get guys to just effort to the ball and just not giving up on their pass rush and just keep keep going to the quarterback type thing. So that's obviously a credit to the back end if they have good coverage and things like that. But just pride myself on being relentless pass rush.
Speaker 1: Well, I listen to you and I hear a dog. That's what I hear. I hear a dog. Take a lot of pride in that, don't yes, there, I always have.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean, you're a guy with a master's degree, right, so obviously the work ethic is there. Then you go to the Shrine Bowl. What do you think he showed the Cardinals? What do you think he proved at the Shrine Bowl in particular?
Speaker 9: Really did? I'm just a dominant player. I'm going to dominate my opponent, and that's what I went out there to do. I didn't lose a pass rush, run one on one rep out there at all, and I think I did about ten out there, So I didn't lose a rep out there. Just wanted to and doing the team periods of getting sacks and just running to the ball in regardless to it was a screen pass. I'm running down the field to it. That's just the type of player I am. That's what I want to express.
Speaker 1: Do you feel like you have anything to prove at this love.
Speaker 9: That's why I can't wait to just ready to get my just really elevate my game and ready to take it to the next level.
Speaker 5: Is there anything you're curious to find out about when it comes to the NFL? Like, is there anything you're saying? All right, here, we are on the evil rookie camp. It's all beginning, and you won't get extremely realenttal training camp.
Speaker 1: We get that.
Speaker 5: But what are you most curious to find out about at football at this level?
Speaker 9: Really just to just to see how it feels. I mean, obviously you get to watch it on TV and things like that, and I play at the highest level of college, but when you get to the NFL, obviously it's different. I just want to just excited to see how it feels so I can get it under my belt. And once I get it under my belt, it's the sky's the limit. I'm just ready to go.
Speaker 1: So what do you think is going to be the hardest adjustment for you coming into the NFL?
Speaker 9: If see the hardest adjustment I learned and adjusted to so much throughout my college career to where I don't even think like it would be a big adjustment in regards to coming to this level just because of the habits I developed over my time at college. Like I was a younger guy. If I came out to doing that year, like I said, if I was gonna be a three and our guy, then I probably would have had a hard time adjusting to being able to take care of my body like a pro and how to eat right and how to really put in extra work, extra film and things like that. But I developed those over time throughout my time at Clemson, So I really don't think it would be a hard adjustment at all towards anything, because I know how to take care of my body, I know how to eat like a pro, I know how to watch extra tape when I know how to translate that to the field, and I know how to really study a playbook, and I know how to correctly watch filmal an opponent. So I don't feel like it would be a hard adjustment at all.
Speaker 5: Would you make of this last season at Clemson and Xavier Thomas is our guest here Cardinals rookie edge guy because you had three and a half sacks, but you led the team with forty three pressures, and your defensive coordinators saying, look, it's not always about the sacks. It's about affecting the quarterback. Sir, So would you make your final season at Clemson?
Speaker 9: I would say, really, I just wanted to because I was like, this past year was like that was my first time playing in maybe three years, like, because I had sat out from twenty twenty to twenty twenty two, and then twenty twenty two I was fully healthy, ready to go. Then I had my first career injury when broke my foot. So I really just wanted to get a fully healthy season before I went to the next level, which is what I really wanted to do. Obviously, you say with the stats and things like that, but I never really paid attention to it.
Speaker 1: My job on.
Speaker 9: The field was to just relentlessly affect the quarterback, and that's what I did, regardless of that was ordered in ten sacks, was ordered in ten pressures. That's just what I did.
Speaker 1: Can you drop off into coverage.
Speaker 9: Yes, sir, I did a lot of drops at Clemson, and coach Rodriguez and I talked with them on thirty visits because we do a lot of drops here as the outside linebackers here, so it's gonna be translate very well.
Speaker 1: So do you think maybe some interceptions on thezon that's what you're saying.
Speaker 9: I grew up as a playing running back and where I receive all that, so I'm very athletic person, so it'll be easy.
Speaker 5: You're a former wide receiver.
Speaker 1: Really, yes, sir?
Speaker 5: Wow, See that's that's when you know it's the NFL. When a guy can run as that sort of athleticism is now playing edge. That's all you know it's the NFL. And you've been working out here since well most of this year, haven't you.
Speaker 1: Yea since January?
Speaker 9: So I came out here because I've been living in the South Caroline of my whole life, obviously Isaac Clemson, and then I came out here to Phoenix, Arizona. I was training the Exos for the combine, so I was living out here from January to April. Then I moved away for a week right before the draft, and then obviously Arizona drafting me.
Speaker 1: So I'm right back.
Speaker 5: Have you run into your first scorpion yet or maybe have Alina or anything? Have you had an Arizona encounter of any sort?
Speaker 9: I wouldn't say a true Arizona encounter outside.
Speaker 1: Of the dry ear. There you go, man, Sorry, well.
Speaker 5: Zay Man, we are really looking forward to seeing you out on that field and uh Wolf. We know there are certain positions that can be plugging play in this league and getting to the quarterback that can translate immediately.
Speaker 1: Line up on the edge and go get that guy.
Speaker 5: So welcome to Arizona, Xavier, sir, thank you.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 5: Xavier Thomas is our guest. Will continue and we'll talk more about this draft class, the upcoming schedule, and more. It is the Big Red Rage presented by santan Port and Gilbert. We are santan Port.
Speaker 3: With the eighty.
Speaker 7: Second pick in the twenty twenty four NFL.
Speaker 10: Drop the Arizona Cardinals select Tip prim and tight Ends Illinois.
Speaker 1: You still not believe in birds?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 1: They are cardinals? All right?
Speaker 6: All right, he's a joke. It needs to be contexts. He needs to be context He's a joke. I believe in birds. I believe in God, He's our creator. There's creation. I believe in birds. We'll set the record straight right now.
Speaker 5: Thanks guys, that was a great walk off moment that ended his introductory press conference in person with the Arizona media. Little mic drop there at the very end. That was the final question from Gershman. Yes, final question, because there was a story out out there that he obviously just set the record straight that he didn't believe in birds. It was some sort of conspiracy theory. He said he was messing around Tip Ryman. Let me tell you, if he can tip the scales in terms of his football prowess like he did with his personality with the media, then the Cardinals have a fine in Round three, one of four Round three picks. Welcome back into the Big Red Rage presented by Santan Ford and Gilbert Paul KELBC Ron Wolfley Special thanks to Xavier Thomas. In that last segment, you just once again all ball. Yes, Xavier Thomas, six years of Clemson as his masters. I mean, I just I see a class that is ready to contribute from top to bottom. And wolf there's no doubt they do have a need for a blocking tight end, especially Jeff Swain. You know that injury that ended his season last year prematurely at the end of his career. Well, here comes mister tip Ryman at six five, two seventy plus.
Speaker 1: And Paul, it's not just tip Ryman, it is not go ahead and look at the first three picks in that third round. That was a statement of purpose as far as I'm concerned. Right here. Trey Benson, a big running back that can spot James Connor. Of course, Isaiah Adams a guy that I think is going to be battling for that left guard position. Guy who was a tackle of course, but you can kick him inside and playguard. And then tip Ryman, tip Ryman, the best blocking tight end in the draft. You put those three things together in that third round, and what does that say to you? POLLI, the Arizona Carter was going to line up in just butchers of people.
Speaker 5: Three words, cram a vertical. That's what it says to me.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 5: That was our phrase last year. If a straight ahead, power run game. By the way, tip Ryman, Isaiah Adams the roommates right now, according to tip because you know they're college teammates. Okay, you have that. If you remember Dave Sears last week, the Cardinals assistant GM talking about how they're looking for quote grimy offensive lineman grimy guys who will quote shove your face in the dirt. So so you're you're right, Wolf. I mean, this is the kind of guy they're looking for.
Speaker 1: It's a simple game.
Speaker 5: So but once again, these are mature guys, have great personalities. None other than Tip Ryman was asked, Hey, Tip, what do you do away from football?
Speaker 6: If I've got my pottery wheel with me and do pottery throw a lot of pots. That was my Like both my sister's wedding gifts was like sets of plates and bulls and mugs and all that.
Speaker 1: So I like to do that stuff. My mom.
Speaker 6: She's I say, she's better than Bob Ross at paint saying mural. She's crazy. She's crazy. No, no wolves here, She's amazing. She's a legend.
Speaker 5: Okay, I was sitting in there, I was among the people laughing. But for the first ten seconds, I'm like, he's messing with us, right. You got this big, tough, assassin type dude. And he brought his pottery wheel to rookie mini camp. That was a true no comprendo for a moment for me.
Speaker 1: He's deadly serious.
Speaker 5: That's what he does for mental health, that's what he does for fun.
Speaker 1: Okay, pots, Well, I told him, I said to him, many Okay, so you make pots? Is that your pottery? Do you bust them after? Is that what he does? Throw him up against the wall, smash him, Paul, something, some type of therapy. I have no idea, but I can tell you right now, Paul, I this guy. Get your antennae up on tip Ryman right now, because this might be the best interview in the history of rookie class in the NFL.
Speaker 5: You didn't really have the audacity to ask him if he busted his pots after he made it.
Speaker 9: I did.
Speaker 5: Back when you were a wedge buster or extraordinaire and you used to write poetry, did you tear up your poetry when you were done?
Speaker 1: No, I didn't.
Speaker 5: It was your art. It was made with your hands, in your mind.
Speaker 1: That's true, Paul, no doubt about it. Man, he's got that, he's got that part of him. But he's also he's gonna just make this offense a whole different offense going forward. You watch.
Speaker 5: Okay, So, speaking of I noticed what the Raiders did, because if you look at tip Ryman for everything that he is is a blocking tight end. You called him the best blocking tight end in the draft, and yes, you're you're not wrong in that one at sixty five two seventy plus. You look at the analytics, he had the best athleticism score of any tight end in the draft as well, it was higher than brock Bauers, who went number thirteen overall. You take a look at what the Raiders have done the last two years, and then you take a look what the Cardinals have done. Brock Bauer six three, two forty three.
Speaker 1: Very good as well in terms of a blocking tight end. Very good.
Speaker 5: Okay, so think about that highly athletic, that body type, but he's also a dual tight end. Does that remind you a little bit of Trey McBride. Now look at the guy they took last year the Raiders in round two at number thirty five overall, Michael Mayer out of Notre Dame, a big beast of a tight end six four two sixty five in those two and with the Raiders, I see the two with the Cardinals. That thunder and lightning type at tight end.
Speaker 1: That's what it is, Paul, That's exactly what it is, and that's what you want to do right now. Twelve per and rundown situation. First in ten second and one to six, you can attack the line of scrimmage. You can run the ball with physicality, and then you can throw the ball just as easily, especially if you've got a quarterback who's comfortable being under center and now all of a sudden ball you can you can attack a defense with play action, and Trey McBride is going to get off in those situations.
Speaker 5: Like Dave Sears, the assistant GM told us last week, the Cardinals led the NFL in thirteen personnel.
Speaker 1: Yes, so there you go. I get ready for twelve personnel. Lead the NFL in twelve personnel and rundown.
Speaker 5: Oh see Drew Petsings. So he's got another weapon in that tight end room. Now, speaking of the later rounds, after you got passed the first round, you ended up getting three cornerbacks in this draft, starting with Max Melton and number forty three. But remember the Cardinals traded back. They went from thirty five to forty three, and then there was a run yep on corners in front of the Cardinals Cooper de Gene, koul A, McKinstry, Kamari Lass went forty two, and that was a question of Max Melton when he met the media just about you know, those comparisons to the corners who are drafted immediately ahead of him.
Speaker 10: You know, everybody's gonna have an opinion. Opinions are like Gucci belts. Everybody has one, you know what I'm saying. So it's actly like everybody's gonna having the pain. Nobody's ever going to be one hundred percent on the same page, especially when we're talking about millions of fans, you know. But I know, come the season, once we get a couple of weeks in, I think they'll be happy with their pick.
Speaker 1: I got it.
Speaker 5: I have to elevate my drip apparently, Wolf do you have a Gucci You got no drip ball? Apparently? Yeah, my fit is inadequate.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 5: I don't have a Gucci belt.
Speaker 1: I have no Gucci belt.
Speaker 5: Just everybody's got one except the two of us.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 5: We got a really favit. Max Melton was great with the media, and you know what, he's a fast talker, has jim O Mahundro said, Let's hope he plays as fast as he talks. But his playing style has been described as frenetic and it's interesting the confidence he brought with him to that that podium and that microphone, because he spent the last four years not just going against like Marvin Irrison Junior as a younger guy, went against Chris Olave and Garrett Wilson Ohio State. He's been against a lot of big time receivers in his college days.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's no doubt about that. Pauli and also too. I would just say Max Melton is a guy that knows how to play in his zone room. This is one of the reasons why I think the Arizona Cardinals really targeted Max Melton. Think about it. We play a lot of zone, we do, no doubt about it. JG is going to play a lot of zone. Nick Rowlis as well loves that you need guys you can actually go out there and do it. He can walk up and play pressman cover all day long. He's got no problem doing that. But he even I got the opportunity to talk to him, he was even talking about playing in his zone room and how much fun that is to actually mess with a quarterback, knowing that the quarterback is reading his body language, knowing that a quarterback is looking to see if he's looking. He knows how to disguise that coverage and jump a lot of routes in his own room. That to me listening to him talk, Max Melton, that really bodes well for not only the secondary the Arizona Cardinals, but for this rookie coming in and being able to actually make a difference.
Speaker 5: You'll like this. Having gone to four Pro Bowls as a special teamer, I ran into some of the Cardinals coaches. The first thing they cited on Max Melton the fact he had four blocks, and they're like, not just anybody can do.
Speaker 1: That, And he said he loves playing in transition. Interesting.
Speaker 5: The other sleeper at corner, by the way, was the final round three pick Elijah Jones out of Boston College six one and a half yep one five highly skilled cover corner. Really intrigued to see what he's all about. Hey be among the first to buy Cardinals single game tickets. Register now get single game ticket purchase link sent right to you next week as the schedule is released. Go to Azycardinals dot com slash first to buy Azcardinals dot com slash first to buye We continue with a big Red Rage presented by Santan Ford in Gilbert.
Speaker 3: Tyler Murray has been magical because we're starting to see not just the magic tricks, the sorcery, it's not just the wizardry of Kyler Murray gets the throws from the pocket that we've seen that have been really impressive.
Speaker 4: When he hit the field, it was like, all right, here's the game plan.
Speaker 1: We gotta go play.
Speaker 4: Now it's hey, are you taking the right drop? Are your eyes in the right place, or did you feel that play the way we want it to be filled?
Speaker 8: You know, I think all of those conversations can happen now.
Speaker 4: So certainly excited about that.
Speaker 5: That's Drew Petsing recently, a Cardinals offensive coordinator, talking about the offseason, actually having a full off season with your franchise quarterback. Think about what the Cardinals had to do last year. Kyler Murray missed the entirety of the offseason. He missed training can, he missed the first half of the regular season. He just dropped in mid season, had to get up to game speed coming off a serious knee injury in a brand new offense, requiring him to do a whole bunch of brand new things foreign to him, learn brand new receips I think it's only now we look back and realize the degree of difficulty.
Speaker 1: Think you're right, Paul, as we.
Speaker 5: Say, welcome back into the Big Red Rage, presented by santan Ford and Gilbert. We are santan Ford. I mean, it's no surprise that he really wasn't at his best until the final three or four games of the season because it took him a while to assimilate all the above we just named.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, and once again for him to overcome all this. I remember going into that season where there were a lot of people saying that the Arizona Cardinals are going to sit him down. They'll sit them down the entire year, remember that, Paul, And we're all right, oh no, don't do that. That's the one thing you can't do. You've got to go ahead and you've get how many games he can go out there and play. You've got to get him out there on the field. You can't sit him down the entire year. And of course, as we know, he played eight games three and five on the season, right there should have been four and four. I just want to say that, but should have, would have could of course, the Seattle game drove me nuts, just even thinking about it right now, but having said that, he got invaluable experience last year in this offense, and Paul, you already said it the last four games of the season. You're talking about a quarter of the season. The Arizona Cardinals in terms of yards per game, number one offense in the league. Wow.
Speaker 5: Let that hang in the air for a minute. Back Mani also for it Cardinals. GM was on the Day Pash podcast and we talk about everything that Kyler had to overcome, and here was Mani's take on what Kyler did while rehabbing this offseason.
Speaker 7: He can focus on being a great teammate, getting himself ready, getting himself more acclimated to the offense. And so, you know, I think that's a really maybe overlook part of what Kyler did last year, and just the fact that he was coming off a major, major knee injury and so just to get himself to where he was at physically, but then also mentally the challenge that he had to learn an entirely new offense with not being able to practice it until November.
Speaker 5: I remember it was last year. We Askedrew sitting right in that chair, a long time NFL quarterback, former Cardinals quarterback. We asked him not having an offseason to get chemistry the receivers, big deal, Not a big deal? He said, it's a huge deal. It's absolutely critical for every quarterback. And so I think we're all even more intrigued by Okay, what is this passing game going to look like after a full off season?
Speaker 1: No doubt, Paul, what is it going to look like right now? But can I just say this as well that for me, how this offense evolves is going to be based on Kyler Murray and we're going to continue to see this offense evolve because Kyler Murray is encouraged. You've heard me talk about this, Paul, but it's the truth. You can hear the encouragement also, and Manti asen Ford's voice. You could hear it in JG's voice when he talks about Kyler Murray. You can hear it in Kyler's voice when he talks about this offense and what he was able to do last year in this offense. You can hear the encouragement, and Paul, for every Cardinal fan that is out there right now, it should encourage you as well. Well.
Speaker 5: He busted into this studio after the draft exactly Marvin Harrison Junior was introduced, he busted in. You could just see the enthusiasm within Kyler Murray. So here, here's a couple of questions for you. Number One, Am I on a line we mentioned off the top of this show, how every player on paper right now in the draft is a starter, is a Pro bowler?
Speaker 1: Right? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Is it on aline for me to evoke the rookie year of Justin Jefferson twenty twenty when it comes to Marvin Harrison Junior as a reminder, Justin Jefferson had eighty eight catches for fourteen hundred receiving yards even seven touchdowns in a Pro Bowl. The next year, Jamar Chase at number five overall, he had eighty one grabs for one four hundred and fifty five yards, receiving thirteen touchdowns, a Pro Bowl and Offensive Rookie of the Year. Marvin Rrison Junior, if he's really a generational receiver? Yes, what if you got numbers somewhere in the neighborhood of those and plugged that into your offense.
Speaker 1: Well, that'd be incredible. And then as soon as I think of that, I think of well, tell me the numbers for Trey McBride done as well, because you know, one feeds off the other, Paul. And to Marvin Harrison Junior, there's no doubt about it. His talent is off the charts now, Paul. You know me, he's gonna have to come in here, he's gonna have to prove it.
Speaker 10: Paul.
Speaker 1: I mean you know as well as anybody, the wide receiver position is a dicey proposition in the National Football League. You've got to come in and you've got to prove it. But I think this offense is really going to give Marvin Harrison Junior every opportunity to really prove it and grow going forward.
Speaker 5: How much different do you think the offense will look this year? And by that, I mean how much of the run game last year? You were a top five run game a year ago. How much of that was out of necessity because you started your Josh Dobbs and you just had to do what you had to do to be able to move the ball. And you have a James Connor, Well, we're going to run the ball because that's what we do best right now. But with Kyler Murray, a two time Pro Bowl quarterback and receiving threats and the evolution the emergence of Trey McBride. Do you think they run it as much as they did a year ago, No.
Speaker 1: Paully, I think chunk throw is what I think of. I think of chunk throw. Now, listen, they're gonna run the ball, because that's who they are. You have to do that. James Connor's back there, you got Trey Benson as well, behind a very physical offensive line. You're gonna run the ball. Of course you're gonna do that. But now all of a sudden, you've got Kyler Murray who's looking very comfortable being under center as well. And now you're gonna run play action and that's gonna open up the middle of the field, and that's gonna open up some chunk throws for Kyler Murray. And you've got Trey McBride, and now hopefully Marvin Harrison Junior as well will assimilate quickly to the NFL game and the pro game. You've got chunk throw options that are out there right now for Kyler Murray. And that's what I think is really going to define this offense going forward because of being able to run the ball. Play action is gonna be there, especially play action from under center, and that means chunk throw to me.
Speaker 5: And you know what, until twenty twenty two, where his season was ended prematurely by the knee injury, Kyler was among the league's best, if not the best, at downfield accuracy, at chunk throws, and so I'm curious to see if he can regain that sort of form and that effectiveness. But to your point about Trey McBride, I still love his joke up on the stage at the Cardinals NFL Draft party where he said, Hey, if Marvin Errison wants to take some of that double coverage I saw the end of last season. That's right, Paul, See my guest, all of a sudden, that safety has to shade over Marvin Errison Junior, and now you're left with a linebacker on Trey McBride. Yeah, game over taste it, Yeah, no doubt. So we'll see about that. By the way, Zay Jones reportedly visited the Cardinals earlier this week. So are they in the market for a veteran receiver to add to the mix, because there's a lot of youth in that room right now. We'll see about that. We'll see if maybe they add a veteran corner. A lot more will be known after the Rookie Mini Camp see how these guys look This weekend special Thanks again is Xavier Thomas along with Jim Amahundro, Cody Fincher, Technical Director, Bradley Rowe, Ron Wolfley on Paul Calvic. This has been the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert. We are santan Ford.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert right on the Price, right on the corner of the Santan two to two Freeway and Valvista.
Speaker 1: The Rage is brought to you by.
Speaker 2: Seat Geek your Ticket to Great Seats and by Arizona Cardinals Podcast. Visit Azycardinals dot com slash podcast. This has been an exclusive presentation of the Arizona Cardinals Football Club.