Speaker 1: I saw this thing. I don't know how old this is, but jd Vance was on.
Speaker 2: Triggered that Donald Trump Junior Show and Donald Trump Junior is so fucked up it's it's like it's yeah, I'm trying to figure out when it's from, but it is so he is so intensely fucked up.
Speaker 3: Like just flying, you need to check like three or four boxes so you can end up in like if you're like a trans communist, this, that and the other, like you two can be the CEO of a forty. He's actually spent real time with them any sort of. Fifteen years ago when I said that, people used to shit all over me.
Speaker 2: Like what are you talking about?
Speaker 3: You don't understand, and now they understand what the borders are. Wrote the article. It wasn't even like it's the same publication. It was the same.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: I'm like this year like to literally save democracy because it's literally at risk. J.
Speaker 1: That's like you us literally at risk. J.
Speaker 3: Old things, But it's if we if the elite, meaning you know, Barack Obama, the Clinton's a couple of bites.
Speaker 4: Sounds like if you hold the space bar while you're watching a YouTube video.
Speaker 1: Any other options, right, yeah, yeah, yeah, no, he's playback speed. Yeah. I thought it was like a rendering thing where like Jade Vans is clear, like, okay, well I was gonna lot guy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know if you're like a trans communist, you.
Speaker 6: Know, like wha dude who couldn't even listen to his guest.
Speaker 4: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this week trend edition of Daily's they.
Speaker 1: Production of iHeart Radio.
Speaker 4: This is the podcast where we take a deep dab into america Share consciousness. And it is Monday, July twenty ninth, twenty twenty four, the year of our Lord. Definitely his year. He's having a big one. My name is Jack O'Brien. That is Miles. I am recording in the spare room of one of my wife's friends.
Speaker 2: So I just was that embarrassing to be a little bit. I remember having to do that at her Majesty's uncle's house.
Speaker 1: Is like, what what is he doing in the closet? Yeah? Why he's screaming there? Yes, I hate explaining it, so anyways, Uh, how are you doing? Miles?
Speaker 2: I saw Arsenal play Manchester United over the weekend. We beat them to one. That was great to see in person.
Speaker 1: I screamed.
Speaker 2: That's why my voice is still a bit equine, as they say, or horse and yeah, I'm.
Speaker 1: Having I'm having a great one, having a great one. Nice, I'm gradually I'm not. I'm tired. I'm tired.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I could care that about the team succeed this baby.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you, folks, they start moving around, they're picking up stuff.
Speaker 1: They know how to throw things. They like to put stuff in the toilet. Folks. They love to put things in the toilet, don't they.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but that's actually good for their future as an Olympic swimmer. Yeah, as we'll get into yeah, uh all right, well yeah we're it's it's Monday morning.
Speaker 1: We got that Monday morning energy.
Speaker 4: We're trying to I'm trying to get like you, Donald Trump Junior, I'm trying to get just a little bit. Just need a little drop of that blood whatever whatever he has a little whatever his body.
Speaker 3: We basically tried to push anyone else from happening, so gave choice.
Speaker 1: You actually, is.
Speaker 2: Your throat getting Numbednatty, drink some water man that drip can get you get swallow.
Speaker 1: It's a numb anyway.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're going to get into some news before that. We do like to get to know you a little bit better. Ye, telling you something we think is underrated and overrated. Yeah, I think is underrated over.
Speaker 1: People. You know.
Speaker 4: We we ask our guests every day on the podcast what they think. They never stopped to ask us. Let's man, yeah, let's table the turns. Well, you want to kick us off? What something you think is underte kick you off.
Speaker 1: I'll kick me right off, right now, right off like a twister.
Speaker 4: So coloring suck me off into the sky a sky like country.
Speaker 2: Fucking f five baby, Yes, coloring.
Speaker 4: Look doesn't make me think that they should have had like an you know how eighties movies would have songs that were like directly about what was happening. It should have had a song in twisters like as the credits throlled, those like suck.
Speaker 1: Me off into the sky, so off to the sky.
Speaker 2: And you're like, hell, yeah, dude, I love brother. So my I got an iPad. I had had not an I gratulation twelve years.
Speaker 4: Probably you said it was the commercial where it crushed all.
Speaker 1: Of absolute art work.
Speaker 2: I was like, dude, it can fit an upright base and an easel into this one.
Speaker 1: Please go on no.
Speaker 2: I bought like two generations earlier because they're cheaper and I have no use for, like, dude, the computing power on these things, it's like absurd. It does like you don't need this to fucking do a coloring book app So I'm like, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: I'll get some one of the previous ones.
Speaker 2: But anyway, I've been just doodling and coloring and shit on it, because that's part of me wants to be able to, like I use my laptop like my computer fucking everything that I wanted to create some separation from like always using this same like machine to like feed me the horrible things in the world or the great things in the world, and it just sort of nets out to zero.
Speaker 1: Like a fun box, a little funny thing.
Speaker 2: This it's more for just my casual thing and drawing. So I used to love drawing as a kid. But the problem was that not even a problem. I just I was absolutely just shit at it. But it never stopped me because you're a kid and you just love to draw and color shit in and be like I did it in the lines, and like that sense of fride you get that doesn't go away even when you are on the precipice of turning forty years old coloring books and like just drawing end up, I think becoming something you never engage in unless you know you're like a visual artist or have a job that requires those skills. But like I am also just like tracing a bunch of shit too, like pictures of the Geist Child, because I can't I did that thing, you know how, Like I saw this thing on the internet, like there's like these couples memes like they'll they'll draw each other like for like fifteen. You get like it's like a quick draw challenge and then you can see like how well your partner could draw you. Dude, the shit I drew was off. It was terrible. It was to have no sense of perspective. D Oh my god, dude, Yeah, it could have been anyone.
Speaker 1: It honestly could have been anyone.
Speaker 2: So devoid of I know. She was like, is this like Wilford Brimley but with a Bereton.
Speaker 1: I'm like that's hair.
Speaker 2: Really, So anyway, I was like tracing, and I'm like, holy shit, like when I'm tracing, this ship actually looks like the thing. Her majesty, who's actually pretty gifted at like watercolors and ship.
Speaker 1: She's like, is full. She's like her majesty is She's like those are just training like Yoda, She's like, those are just tracings. Relax.
Speaker 2: But I was also like, don't look as someone that has no skill as an illustrator, like I was telling her, like it's empowering and also gives me more practice at drawing real things, because I'm it's like a muscle that I've never developed and I'm just trying to do it.
Speaker 1: She's like, Okay, that's true. That's true.
Speaker 2: Like I'm like, you're gonna get mad at the kid for I'm wearing having training wheels and like you ain't finking full. You're on your way to biking. I'm on my way to doing less shitty drawings. So anyway, that's been like, really, it's like this thing, like you know, as you get older, like we start putting things like you enter quote adulthood, and you start saying like I deem this to be adult, or this is like something I don't do anymore. Drawing is something I feel like, I don't know, I just I think for the reasons of deeming it not adult or whatever, it just wasn't relevant with my career.
Speaker 1: I just stopped doing it.
Speaker 2: And now I'm like, I'm I'm coloring in the lines, baby, I'm using paints and shit. Anyway, Zigang, let me know your favorite drawing coloring apps, because I'm yo, your boy is out.
Speaker 1: Here and it's just so therapeutic. It's very therapeutic. That's the other part of it. It is very therapeutic. Do you draw it?
Speaker 4: Do you do drawing videos like on YouTube, like instructional drawing videos.
Speaker 1: I'm about to Yeah, there's like a dude.
Speaker 2: I found some English guy who like has a very kind energy and like just teaches you how to like get your get your drawing muscles up.
Speaker 4: Those really to my six year old, drawing game has really stepped up. He's similarly, uh, very enthusiastic drawer. Was not always you know, the most gifted at it, but like elaborate drawing journeyman illustrator where you know, he would he would have to tell you this, he would tell you the story of what was happening in the picture, and he would have to because you didn't know what the fuck was going on. And now he's like pretty like my sister, my older sister who has you know, the same thing as her majesty, just like a natural always could draw, always could be like really good artists and ended up going into visual arts. She's like, he's actually pretty talented. I was like, oh, what, doesn't even care? But yeah, the drawing videos are really helped him out a.
Speaker 2: Lot, like some Bob Ross ship you know, yeah exactly, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, all right.
Speaker 4: My underrated is how much Pharrell is inspired by the Despicable.
Speaker 1: Me universe on he's been.
Speaker 4: So the reason that I'm bringing this up now is the new song for Despicable Me for It's in the trailer, and then my kids were like that play that for me, and now like I'm probably just you know, I'm at that point where I've heard it the right number of times where I'm like, man, this kind of goes way harder than it has any right to the bad guy one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like.
Speaker 4: Double yeah yeah, and it could be about Drake, it could be about except like it feels like a pop song that like could be you know, from the eighties and still getting radio play. Like it's just got that like vague like double life, you know, double Agent, you know, private Eye type ship that its specifically name checks the character grew throughout. It's like that which I can see like a Minion reference in there.
Speaker 1: But Likedrew is such a just silly character.
Speaker 4: And I mean Happy was originally released for the soundtrack for Despicable Me Too, like that's his biggest hit. And you know now that my children are obsessed with Pharrell's Despicable Me work, they have gone back through and listened to all the soundtracks and he's just got some like solid songs throughout that are specifically about the content of the Despicable Me movies and it's I don't know, I mean Happy and Double Life are the main ones. There's one the first movie has a song called Despicable Me in it that's pretty good bye Pharrell. But there's like a couple for each movie, it seems. Yeah, and then you know, the trailer for his new movie about his life played before Despicable Me for when I took my kids to Despicable to Me for and it's like a lego movie about Pharrell's life and yeah, yeah, and it just generally I feel like he's very like has a very like childlike imagination and like outlook on the world that seems to be the thesis of like this new Lego movie is like he's just like a little different and and just generally I feel like it's a little underrated how children's movies have generated some of the biggest like pop hits of the past decade. Like before, we've talked before on this podcast, I've lamented like that we no longer get like the above the Rim soundtrack.
Speaker 1: It was just like bangers across the board.
Speaker 4: Boomerang was a great soundtrack, but I feel like it's actually.
Speaker 1: Gone to children.
Speaker 4: Like children's movies are still putting out good soundtracks that I mean, they're good in the sense of like being kind of pop songs both Like Tyler, the creators work on the Benedict Cumberbatch Grinch movie is really good. Like I'm sure most people don't realize that's like he did all the music for that, but it's like really good.
Speaker 1: Wow. He really is following in Fell's footsteps.
Speaker 2: He always talks about how much he looks up to Farrell in his career, and now it's like Tyler getting the children's soundtrack game I've got money.
Speaker 1: There must be quite nice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean they're they're they're doing great. Yeah, then they're doing it. It's a I don't know, this is like corny pop music ship, but it's like good corny pop music for what it is. It's good and it's all happening in uh in children's movies. Also, incidentally, while I was looking this up because I was like, did he make happy specifically like with the Minions in mind, he actually originally wrote that song for Celo, and Selo recorded a version that Pharrell is like, it's actually way better than mine because he can sing, Yeah, because he could actually sing. And uh, Celo's label Elektra was like, we got this Christmas album coming out, Celo's Magic Moment, and so we just we don't think this is like the right move for him at.
Speaker 1: This Wow, Like all yeah, all time are are like he.
Speaker 2: Did fine with Pharrell's you know, pitchy singing then yeah, yeah someone with an actual.
Speaker 4: Actual song, yeah, with an actual like musical ability. All right, what something, Miles do you think is overrated?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: People trying to do TikTok memes in public spaces, And I'm not saying people recording tiktoks in public I have whatever, I don't. They just don't fu can get in my way or in my child's way to do whatever you need to do.
Speaker 1: I don't care.
Speaker 2: But when you come up to me on some TikTok memory foolery, no, no, no, I'm old, and I grew up in the era of pulling up on people with cameras. We started this ship okay when we were when we were young, when we were young's in the early two thousands. That's what we used to do is come up to people with cameras and realize, you know, we're violating people's personals.
Speaker 4: How we met everybody, we met each other, it was just.
Speaker 1: What's up, dude? What do you stinkd what's up? You want to say?
Speaker 2: Is there ship on this microphone? Can you answer this question?
Speaker 4: We tried to YouTube prank each other three times in a row and could figure it out, and then we were like, all right, game record.
Speaker 2: Yeah, after I smashed your cell phone on the ground for the third time and just said, it's a prank, dude, it's a prank, but I don't know.
Speaker 1: He smashed it twice, but I just don't want to borrow it again. I'm gonna get.
Speaker 2: It's a prank.
Speaker 1: So no, I was.
Speaker 2: I was at this game and in the bathroom, this fucking younger dude, like in the early twenties, like at the sinks, comes up to me and does the.
Speaker 1: English or Spanish thing to me.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you know about this, Jack, because this is something that's on it's on the internet. People go up to each other and they say English or Spanish and you say what length They're like what, like you speak English or Spanish and they'll say like English, and they say, first one to say something, the first one to move is gay.
Speaker 1: And then you just watch two like.
Speaker 2: Homophobic bros just be become homophobic statues on camera because the first one.
Speaker 1: To move is gay.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's the entire premise of this video, Like this meme that's happening on the internet.
Speaker 5: Well, this English or Spanish just it's just it's like, here's a lack of cities where they pull up to somebody that way, no matter what, you know the rules and we could find out and like so.
Speaker 2: He comes up first, he comes up to the dude next to me and does it, and I'm like, oh shit, this guy is He's not even videotaping. He's just drunk and wants to fucking talk okay.
Speaker 1: You didn't even have a camera.
Speaker 2: No, just goes up to and this the first guy was like like a middle aged dude, had no fucking idea what he was talking about. He's like what, He's like, dude, English or Spanish. He's like, I don't know what you're talking about. Man, he's like English or Spanish. He's like, what do you what do you mean? And then the guy very that he's English. He speaks English. And then so he comes up to me and says it I ignore him right, and I go I walk out the bathroom. He catches up to me and I'm with my boy and he's like, hey dude, hey, hey, hey, hey hey, I go what he said. He goes into English or Spanish. I said it right back to him English or Spanish, right, and I'm like I'm gay and he's like oh.
Speaker 1: He's like that's cool, dude, that's cool, dude. All right man?
Speaker 2: Uh and then he's just and I was like, I was like, bro, just miss me with what, like what?
Speaker 1: Yeah? And he's like he's like it's all good.
Speaker 2: Dude, It's all good, and then walked out like by himself. This guy was so it was like heartbreaking and like aggravating at the same time. I'm like, I don't know what the guy was hoping was gonna happen to be, Like that's sick, dude.
Speaker 1: We both didn't move to.
Speaker 2: Acknowledge that we are we're not gay, Like what did you think? And I was gonna, what invite you to my house after? Because I'm like, oh, this guy's a cool Like, I don't know what he wanted from it. It was so short sighted and I've already just being so online. I was like, oh, hell no, this dude is not about to fucking pull this dumb shit.
Speaker 1: And but with not even fucking for views, man.
Speaker 4: Right, just for so the like he's starring in he's a YouTube influencer in his own mind.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah exactly.
Speaker 2: It was so like such main character syndrome shit that I just cause, yeah, I was just baffled, and like my other friend was.
Speaker 1: Like, what the fuck was that?
Speaker 2: I was like, it's some shit from TikTok, dude, this guy, I don't know, man, let's just let's just go it's at now.
Speaker 1: Let me just down these glizzies bro, three fucking glizz bro. I was I was eating so many shitty hot dogs. It was bad. Oh my stomach is in nuts anyway, So.
Speaker 2: Clearly, people they're overrating the potency of TikTok memes and what you think someone's reaction is going to be in public doing this stuff when it's again, if I don't know, I don't even know. If it was on camera, I think I will probably would have been more aggressive with this dude.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but like it just was so the internet. How tough you are? Yeah, oh yeah, I would have been like, oh tough guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you would have seen a video, would have I got that gleam, that little glimmer in my eye go.
Speaker 1: Oh so y'all both tough? Huh yeah, Hey, let me talk to you real quick camera. Man, you're young enough to know the TikTok meme. You know that's.
Speaker 2: A guy who was a dude who had a ten year old kid with him and was clearly much older looking than me.
Speaker 1: So I don't know what.
Speaker 2: Again, I think people are drunk and they're they're really excited, but please leave the TikTok memes at home.
Speaker 1: I don't hate the.
Speaker 4: Idea of starting a conversation with a stranger apt by giving them the option to uh press two for Spanish. You know that's that's not a terrible idea. I don't know why it has to be in service of this homophobic meme. Yeah, but well that's that sucks. But yeah, let's well, let's start giving people the opportunity to choose Spanish. But then, yeah, I'm fucked if they choose Spanish because I'm like, uh, pardona may.
Speaker 1: But that's why I just had to.
Speaker 2: I just had to neutralize the the crux of the entire interaction with with who is gay?
Speaker 1: Right? And I said, what's up? I'm gay?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: What what's next?
Speaker 2: What do we say? Where do we go from here?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: It's all good, dude, it's all good.
Speaker 1: Like that was such just so it was so weird and more.
Speaker 2: Man, I think really quick and I'm like, so then what like, I'm like, please examine why you think this ship is fun anyway?
Speaker 1: And you must eat a hot dog?
Speaker 4: Opening hearts, changing minds. We're just ruining some homophobic guys. Afternoon, My overrated Miles is how white my teeth are until I shave, I think my teeth are pretty I know it sounds like I'm my brain is melting, so I get ready to I think my teeth are like fairly white, you know, especially in the summer, and I'm like somewhat tan, and then I get ready to shave with white shaving cream and the white balance in my face is.
Speaker 1: All fucked up and these are so yellow. It's a color temp on my teeth, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, man, yeah real warm. It gets real warm in there. It is not good. So yeah, I don't know. White balance is incredibly important concept to teeth.
Speaker 1: Whiteness. I have noticed in my own with regards to my own face, right, you're like, damn, it's like three thousand kelvin right there. Color temp.
Speaker 4: Wonder like where like I wonder how much facial white balancing has to do with British people's reputation for having yellow teeth, you know.
Speaker 1: Because like the paler skin to contr yeah, there's.
Speaker 4: No sun there for ninety percent of the year, so their skin makes their teeth sets it off. Whereas like, you know, I'm trying like Don Johnson when he smiles, it's like god, damn blindingly white teeth. Sure, but yeah, it's also the tea and the coffee.
Speaker 1: I'm sure. Yeah, I mean how much coffee is doing it for you?
Speaker 2: How much coffee you drinking?
Speaker 1: Is that?
Speaker 2: Is that the root of your the way you my brand of my off your front teeth on king?
Speaker 1: What is it the coffee? How are we doing here? Coffee? What is the coffee? Yeah, that's probably the coffee. I think. I think that's gotta be. Yeah. Yeah, my teeth is a little bit. It's a little bit, and that's all right, nothing wrong with that.
Speaker 2: I'm not one who have you had your teeth whitened before?
Speaker 4: I haven't. I need I need to do like the trays or whatever.
Speaker 2: I had him whitened before the wedding because my dentist, who like has been my dentist since I was four years old, Like he's been with me for like through all my life developments. He's like, you know what, man, I'm gonna throw in like a whitening for you, you know, like for your wedding, like so you can look really nice on me down.
Speaker 1: I was like, ah, it's all good man.
Speaker 2: He's like, well you could probably He's like those he could probably use it.
Speaker 1: He's like he's not cool, man, you can use that? What the fuck?
Speaker 2: And he's like it's free, just you know, it's come back and we can do it on one session.
Speaker 1: The way them ships they hurt, bro.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when that ship gets like to your dentin, like the nerves and your teeth, like my teeth were screamed. I was like, fuck that, bro, just give me yellow teeth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's fine, it's fine. I'm not I'm not gonna be.
Speaker 4: Layers and layers built up around these motherfuckers. So yeah, yeah, I can't get them. Yeah, yeah, I don't know. Maybe maybe I need to do the white and then I.
Speaker 2: Would say try veneers first, Jack, Yes, based on what I'm seeing.
Speaker 4: That's what Lord Michaels keeps telling me. Yeah, yeah, yeah, So I don't know, man, Yeah, I'm just gonna come one day to our Monday with.
Speaker 2: A It's just a mono tooth, one desk tooth all around when U shaped gomper.
Speaker 4: That's right, all right, let's take a quick break and we'll be right back to talk about some news. And we're back and who could have predicted it?
Speaker 1: Myles? We are officially in the Olympics. Did you watch some Olympics over the weekend? I watched some Olympics.
Speaker 2: I caught the tail end of the opening ceremony and was so confused because I had no context for what the vibes were at all. I was just like someone was like, hey, the did you Are you watching the opening ceremony?
Speaker 1: I'm like nah.
Speaker 2: And then I remember like an hour later and I turned it on in some like technode like domit like someone will like cyber thigh high boots on and like a hood who looked like a character from like an Assassin's Creed game was bringing the flag up to the flagpole and I.
Speaker 1: Was like, what the fuck is going on? Yeah?
Speaker 2: And then I then I was like, I think we're in too deep that all I don't know what's happening, So I stopped watching.
Speaker 4: You got to get on board with the lore. You need to read the first exactly from the Lord of the Rings.
Speaker 2: If I feel there's too much lore that I don't know about, I check out because I don't like having incomplete information to you know, process the art.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I checked in and out with opening ceremonies. I checked in with some badminton. That shit was a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: I watched.
Speaker 2: Oh, I watched the women's street skateboard final, which was wild that all the competitors in the final were like sixteen and under.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I was so young in those.
Speaker 2: Generation of skaters and they're like so fucking good.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Anyway, anyways, we did have one story recovering in the run up to the Olympics, and you know, being the zeitgeist seers that we are, it turns out that story has continued to play a role in the Olympics.
Speaker 1: That is, of.
Speaker 4: Course, the dirty shit water of the set, which they I mean, they went on like the entire opening ceremonies was focused around the then like that for the first time, nobody people weren't walking in with the flag. Instead, they were kind of an yeah, I didn't.
Speaker 1: I need people to be walking like you.
Speaker 2: Did you see that how he was hidden by like the card that said grease and you're like, yeah, who's holding the flag?
Speaker 4: The boats like weren't like I don't know, like if you're gonna do that, then like the boats should be built out to like reflect the country in some way.
Speaker 1: But they were just like.
Speaker 2: Lebron should have been Lebron should have been George Washington crossing the Delaware.
Speaker 1: Yes, like a p style, you know.
Speaker 4: But yeah, it was like that part wasn't great, but like some of the performances were great, but Yeah, it was all focused around the river. They are very proud of their river. It turns out, uh, to the point of as we've been covering, they wanted the swimmers, the distance swimmers to swim through the sin even though it is, you know, pagen famously full of shit and pathogens.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so okay.
Speaker 2: I think the last time we talked about it was because the mayor of Paris was like, he said.
Speaker 1: It's all good, y'all.
Speaker 2: Why would I hop in and do some open mouth freestyle swimming in here if it wasn't all good.
Speaker 1: We are good here.
Speaker 2: But then as if you saw the opening Olympic or the opening ceremony, it was raining pretty intensely in Paris, and because of that a lot of shit got washed into the river and other pollution, another pollutants because on Sunday they was deemed too dirty for like practice Monday, They're like, eh, I don't know about today. Let's let's see Tuesday. Let's see where we're at Tuesday with the just bacteria levels. So the plan right now, best case is that the water clears up. Obviously, If not, then they'll push the event by a day to hopefully allow for the river to clear and if that doesn't happen, then they'll just do a duathlon. It'll just be running in cycling and no swimming for the triathalon.
Speaker 4: That's fucking crazy that they had no bike, they had no backup plan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's so fucking weird.
Speaker 2: So uh yeah, this is after they spent like a little over one point two billion cleaning the river in anticipation for the Olympics.
Speaker 4: Like that shit should look like an a venture golf at this point, right, Like it not resemble a normal river, but I guess, I mean the river just keeps flowing, right, Like That's that's the thing about trying to clean up a river, is like you can't just like be like all right, from this part of the city to this part, we're just gonna make it real clean it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a whole city just.
Speaker 4: Inhaling and exhaling, you know, ship and all sorts of stuff. And yeah, I mean I know this from La Like after a rainstorm, they're like, don't go in the ocean because that's where everything washes out, like the air and every The streets are so much cleaner after that. But that's because it's all in the ocean now, and so you should not be in there.
Speaker 2: But I mean, the the good thing is that like some swimmers.
Speaker 1: Are and this is the good thing.
Speaker 2: I don't know, this is the thing I didn't. So there are a few swimmers who have been like, well, this isn't like the first time we've heard of E coli risk in doing like open water swimming.
Speaker 1: That's like, I have a known thing.
Speaker 2: It's obviously, just not to the point where the levels are so high. The organizers are like waving the brown flag being like, ah, I don't know if you went today, but yeah, it sounds like some like some of the participants have been preparing to do battle with E coli.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: One US swimmer has specifically said he's preparing for the event by not washing his hands, because of course it's a fucking American. We we covered before, like a Fox News Oh shit who implied that it was like.
Speaker 1: To wash your hands.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but like yeah, he's just probably being like, yeah, you know, it's a proven method, backed by science. So I just try to increase my E coali threshold by exposing myself to a bit of E coali in your day to day life, just little things throughout your day, like not washing your hands after you go to the bathroom. So so American, both like before whatever the weird thing is about thinking not washing your hands is cool, but also just like the self centeredness to be able to say that and not recognize that people are gonna be like, hey, man, like you're touching the same ship we're touching.
Speaker 1: That is gross to us.
Speaker 2: He's like, no, y'all, don't y'all don't catch the ship before it hits the toilet.
Speaker 1: Y'all, don't catch the ship.
Speaker 2: Wait where do y'all put the ship?
Speaker 1: Like, yo, what I like it?
Speaker 2: There's like little yeah, yeah, yeah, I like how this other Another American tathlete, Taylor Spivey, she's doing like the logical thing. She's like, I'm taking more probiotics to try this immune system rather than like you know, doing shit handshakes with everyone.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just you know, getting exposed to just when somebody farts, just getting getting right down there, get my face all up in there.
Speaker 2: You warm your hands up by someone's butt when they fart.
Speaker 1: Think it's the trash can fire. Yeah, exactly, warm them up all right.
Speaker 4: Big story in media from over the weekend other than the Olympics, is that Deadpool and Wolverine just broke all the box office records for baff obo for an R rated opening. It raked in two hundred and five million domestic, which is now the eighth best opening of all time, the biggest R rated.
Speaker 1: Movie opening ever.
Speaker 4: The previous biggest was I think Deadpool at like one thirty five million Globally. It made four hundred and thirty eight million dollars shit, and it also brought in like I've never seen this stat tracked before, but it brought in like the highest level of concessions that they've ever seen. According to AMC, this past weekend saw the highest food and beverage revenue in the US since twenty nineteen, and people are speculating that a good portion of that revenue was probably due to the thirty dollars conspicuously fuckable popcorn bucket, which we're featuring a bunch of TikTok videos. So it's Wolverine's head and then the bucket part is just his mouth open wide and they've given it a little tongue at the bottom, which is how like the fact that it's got a little like spongy looking tongue in there is what pushes it over the line for me from like you know, harmless fun kind of wink wink, nudge, nudge into a popcorn bucket that I simply must fuck so.
Speaker 2: That tongue weren't there and corn bucket gonna know what that tongue do?
Speaker 1: Logan weapon? What do it do?
Speaker 4: And then also so I want to talk about this movie in particular in the context of like how convoluted. So I just Robert Downey Junior. This was the other like big Marvel news over the weekend. Right now, Marvel stage a big presentation announcing the upcoming Avengers movie that will replaced the previously announced Avengers movies that hinged on Jonathan Major's was it was gonna be like Avengers the Kang Dynasty. Now the next Avengers movie is Avengers Doomsday, followed by Avengers Secret Wars. They'll be directed by the Russou brothers who made Infinity War an endgame.
Speaker 2: Did you hear the crowd when they announced it that it was you see that clip? No, they go They had a bunch of people dressed as like Doom on the stage, like and then like one'll I'll just play the audio because I didn't. I mean, like, first of all famously. I'm not caught up on the Avengers film spoiler alert for people who aren't at this point and don't want to know stuff, But here I go. I thought Robert Downey Juniors was dead in this ship, right, yeah, So I was like, oh, who could it be?
Speaker 1: Who could be? Who could be?
Speaker 2: This is the moment where this folk shows up and unmasks himself, like on stage to be like, and here's our new doctor von Doom. Before he's rolling up, he's in a mask, takes the hood off.
Speaker 7: People stood up, people are thrown this like fucking wild. It's like you thought people saw a World Cup goal and ship, Yeah, yeah, it.
Speaker 4: Was World Cup goal level response. I was trying to think of the right NBA thing, but it's not.
Speaker 1: It's it's a World Cup yeah viewing party.
Speaker 4: For I mean, I guess the right NBA thing would be Kawhi Leonard making that shout over Joel Embiid, but we don't talk about that on this podcast. The Yeah, so he's going to be Doctor Doom and they're going to justify it with some multiverse shit even I mean, Gwyneth Paltrow is famously like I'm in that movie. I actually forgot I was in that one. But she was like, wait, I don't get it. Are you a bad guy now? In her response on social media.
Speaker 1: Oh, she was just like wait, yeah, literally.
Speaker 4: Responded in a comment to the post and said, I don't get it. Are you a baddie now? So it will still definitely a bad if you know what I mean, will still take place in the universe where Tony Stark exists or exists dead I guess, you know, in reference to the spoiler, but explained by some kind of multiverse.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't know if we can call it nonsense now, because it seems to be what people are on board with.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you dig on multiverses, cand.
Speaker 4: I just read you like the So I went and looked at the plot summary for Wolverine or No Deadpool, and Wolverine Deadpool comes first.
Speaker 1: It's alphabetical.
Speaker 4: It is so wild and just like Laiden with shit that you need like a post Bard and like red string to like figure out what the fuck is going on. It's like like, I'm just gonna read this spoiler for like the premise of the movie.
Speaker 1: This is how the movie starts.
Speaker 4: The Wolverine deb okay spoiler alert from this spoiler alert, you can skip forward a little bit. We'll play a little music under here so you know when it's done. But in twenty eighteen, Wade Wilson uses Cable's time traveling device to travel from his timeline Earth ten thousand and five to Earth six sixteen, the Sacred Timeline, where he meets Happy Hogan and request to join the Avengers, but he has rejected.
Speaker 1: Skip forward a little bit.
Speaker 4: During his birthday party, the Time Variance Authority captures Wade and brings him to mister Paradox, who offers him a place on Earth six sixteen. However, Paradox also reveals that Wade's timeline is deteriorating as a result of the death of I won't spoil that part. Paradox details his plans to use the Time Ripper, a device he developed a Mercy Killed Timeline, to prematurely destroy Wade's timeline. Wade steals Paradox's time ped to travel the multiverse to find a variant of Logan to save his timeline. After an argument during which Wade learns that Paradox is acting without the knowledge of his superior there's like bureaucratic shit like what he's acting with knowledge.
Speaker 1: Of his superiors.
Speaker 4: Paradox prunes Wade and Logan into the void. There, Wade and Logan fight before they and Johnny Storm are captured and taken to Cassandra Nova, the twin sister of X Men leader Charles Xavier. Sandra, who was pruned as an infant but made a deal with the TVA to stay, willingly leaves Wade and Logan to be consumed by Eliath, although they manage to escape. Like there's just so many voids and like different groups that are meant to keep order of, like we're ten thousand and five at least, like parallel universes.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah, I get it, man, this.
Speaker 1: Is what you all yeah oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah obviously, so I'm deeply offended that you didn't understand any of that. And the TVA that I know is the Tennessee Valley Authority, but the timebury and speak, Yeah that the TVA, of course. But yeah, I mean this is but I like it's one of those things too where on when you describe it, it makes much more sense when you can follow along as a story too. But it is, it is dense, It is dense, and I think that's what allows them, Like the speculation is already that, like they're gonna bait and switch and he's gonna be like Robert Downey will be Iron Man.
Speaker 1: I don't know, look, yeah, yeah, do whatever.
Speaker 4: You clearly a version of Iron Man that has turned into Doctor Doom. I don't know enough about Doctor Doom to like have any feelings about how that came about. But what's that My six year old has entered the chat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's like, you don't get it, dude, you know something about doctor Doom. Give me one.
Speaker 4: Thing, Okay, his worst enemy is Spider Man.
Speaker 1: There we go. Thank you, young six year old, Thank.
Speaker 2: You, young man, and thank you to you anonymous young man.
Speaker 1: But I don't know.
Speaker 4: I do wonder if people will get tired of that, because like it also feels so like this movie's plot seems to be trying to undo the plot of a previous movie that is like kind of beloved, like the Logan movie is kind of beloved, and so I don't know, like even you know what. One of our favorite guests on the show, Joe el Monique, film critic totally up on all the all the Marvel stuff, was just described it as being like they are pulling in some like there's a character who's like fairly obscure that they just like bring along, like it plays a massive part in this movie. But I don't know, Ultimately, Deadpool and Wolverine sounds like it's just an excuse for like rapid fire frat boy jokes. So I don't know, Ye I do. I do feel like them being able to, like being able to pull characters back from the dead, for like using the multiverse kind of is lighting the way for them to keep this thing going for a way longer than it would otherwise.
Speaker 2: Well, he's not dead in this universe, And you're like, all right, yeah, this one's fine, all right cool? I mean, yeah, sure, I'm really curious to know, like what the larger marvel because everything I've read on the internet has been so mixed that I'm not sure where like where the actual fans land on this.
Speaker 1: Let me know, fans, let make sense of this our DJ reveal.
Speaker 4: Yeah, especially if you're like quaking with fury at how dismissive I'm being, Please hit me up and just you know, unleash on.
Speaker 2: For me to a YouTube video I can watch.
Speaker 4: Yeah, actually, Mike kink is like getting reamed out by.
Speaker 1: I don't cable, is you fucking loser?
Speaker 4: All right, we still got stuff to cover about Trump, uh, the election and all that good stuff. So we're going to take a quick break and we will be right back.
Speaker 1: And we're back now.
Speaker 4: I do just want to say on the Deadpool and Wolverine thing, I'm acknowledging that I'm wrong. Like everybody got it. It's the most popular movie.
Speaker 2: In tause you're not gonna go to a movie it does that well.
Speaker 1: And people are like, I don't even know what happened. I don't know what.
Speaker 4: Yeah, apparently I'm an idiot, but I'm just saying like that is so they're able to cram that sort of like twisty like timelines that look like a play to spaghetti into a movie and like now they know that, so now like it doesn't like yeah.
Speaker 1: They're gonna bring back anybody they want.
Speaker 4: Like wow, it's it makes like the Robert Donney Junior movies are gonna make so much money.
Speaker 1: I'm sure, and that's what.
Speaker 2: But that's what I'm curious. I saw a lot of people on the commentary, like when I saw like on one of the comic composts about it, where people like I just like, I get what they're trying to do, but if you're really trying to make him another character, like I can't unsee him as anything except for Tony.
Speaker 1: So whatever, Hey, this is spier Man.
Speaker 2: I told her, Majesty, I was like, can we watch the Avengers movies this week?
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 2: I'm so I don't know what the fuck is going on at all. I remember the Infinity like Gauntlet sort of comic books that I read when I was fucking eleven and shit, but my god, MCU.
Speaker 1: That's I got it. That's a that's a time investment. Yeah, and I'll jump back in. I don't care. We got work to do. We got work to do.
Speaker 2: When I got I'm gonna get out my coloring book and watch the Avengers movies this week.
Speaker 1: Just taking notes, drawing the characters you're just tracing. Shut up, all right? Uh? Back to our universe, our timeline. H huh uh.
Speaker 4: Doctor Doom's ear is unsurprisingly fine.
Speaker 1: This is Earth six. Yeah, I think it was the Earth sixty sixty six.
Speaker 4: Uh So on Friday, the day after I went on a rant being like awfully suspicious.
Speaker 1: We don't know what happened to Trump's here.
Speaker 4: I've like, I resisted and resisted and resisted till they get pulled in by the conspiracy theories that are like he just had a blade under there, he bladed himself, he's a wrestling person. Resisted all that, but then the FBI Christopher Ray came out and was like, we actually don't know what happened to his ear. I was like, ha ha, finally we got his ass went in started talking about how suspicious it was. Uh, and then the FBI confirms that his ear was hit by a bullet which was either whole or fragmented into smaller pieces, and.
Speaker 1: So I don't know if it was.
Speaker 4: Christopher Ray's statement got a lot of backlash and they were like, this is not what we want our investigation to be about. And it ultimately doesn't fucking matter, you know, like obviously it was started with a person shooting at him, and we're trying to like get to the bottom of how all of this went down.
Speaker 2: The whole conversation is off when you have an assassination attempt, and then it's like the Secret Service DEI lady, It's like, yeah, yeah, what about fucking guns, you idiots.
Speaker 1: You'll be talking about the problem with guns. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, sure, for sure, for sure.
Speaker 2: But yeah, that's your ears looking pretty good.
Speaker 1: The ear is looking fine though.
Speaker 4: That's the thing is, like now he's being photographed without any bandages on his ear. I mean, we saw like some blurry photographs of him playing golf the day after the attempted assassination with his hair looking fine. So I don't know, like there's no sign that anything was ever wrong with it. I have like scars on my body like that I don't even know where they came from, but are there from like my childhood and motherfucker got shot in the ear.
Speaker 2: And I have a scar on my hand from a zip line that I took the hand trolley and I put it above the zip line, which you're not supposed to do because your weight is uneven, and the shit just swung around and then like I just like cauterized my skin with friction burns. That's still there. And I and I.
Speaker 1: Should be president now. And that's why we should be president, because we have this.
Speaker 2: I can explain my weird dummy scars that child.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I don't know. I'm not saying like he wasn't shot, but seems pretty clear whatever the injury was, it didn't the giant bandage that he slapped on his earth are and see that he was picked off a fashion wave among his fans.
Speaker 1: Totally. Yeah, he was just playing it up.
Speaker 2: That's why even when we were talking about him, like, it doesn't really matter at the end of the day, even because it was either like a fragment of something else or the bullet and whether or not it wasn't it was never going to change. What Trump is going to keep saying is that someone shot me in my ear, you know what I mean, and.
Speaker 1: So fundamentally before it hit my brain. But I don't know, I don't know if he exists. I mean that to him and well he is a Christians as we learned. But yeah, I mean, I think the most damming thing was when his own son was like, oh, yeah, he.
Speaker 2: Didn't need stitches. Yeah, Like when that was one of the first things that came out.
Speaker 4: Here, Like he was lying that that's because his dad is a superhero like Wolverine and like has super feeling ability.
Speaker 2: I hear that from someone who has like had cuts and seen lacerations that require them, and you're like, it's about talking about the severity of your wound, Like, yeah, dude, my dad was so tight he didn't even need stitches. The doctor said it's gonna get pretty infected if he doesn't. Though it's pretty ugly, it's gonna heal really bad without it.
Speaker 4: In other Trump news, he spoke at Turning Points Believers summit in Florida and said, I mean, he says a lot of troubling shit. Oh yeah, this weekend was yeah, you know, big news or some extra troubling.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: He put his he put his little uh fash costs to him on for everyone. It's not a costume at this point. He this is him saying, don't worry Christians.
Speaker 1: There don't There won't be elections after this, I guess. And again, Christians, get out and vote, just this time, just this time. You won't have to do it anymore. Four more years. You know what, It'll be fixed, it'll be fine.
Speaker 6: You won't have to vote anymore, My beautiful Christians.
Speaker 1: I love you, Christians. I'm a Christian. I love you. Get out. You gotta get out and vote. In four years, you don't have to vote again. We'll have it fixed so good, you're knocking.
Speaker 2: Out what we'll have it fixed so good you won't even have to vote to vote anyway, I'm not I'm not a Christian.
Speaker 1: Chrisians, I love you Christians. I'm a Christian. I'm not.
Speaker 2: I'm not Christian. I'm that Christian.
Speaker 1: I'm not Christian. But your denture's not working. I think it was bad Christian.
Speaker 2: I'm Christian.
Speaker 1: I I don't. Yeah, maybe he's telling on himself. It's it really.
Speaker 4: There's also this quote from Kevin Roberts, who's like Project five.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he stalwart.
Speaker 4: He said, we are winning in ways that the other side doesn't yet know. We're not going to tell you everything that's coming, but get ready to fight.
Speaker 1: What fuck are they talking about? Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: That's either like prime time Copium type ship to say, or they're showing their hand that they have. There're gonna deploy the darkest of arts to win the selections.
Speaker 1: Just yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're like, we're gonna sue our way to Clarence Thomas's heart.
Speaker 4: Yeah but yeah, dude, things that they've never even seen company in ways you don't even know yet.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Yeah, you're gonna be happier in like ways you never even knew.
Speaker 1: I usually like had this thing planned that I'm not I'm still not gonna tell you about, but it was gonna like win you over. So for everything, Well, what is it? I don't even want to tell you because it's so good haters will know. All right, I'm leaving you.
Speaker 2: All I asked is that you just you're able to fucking put away ship when you're done. But yeah, I mean, it's it's really clear that Trump's desperation is like quite palpable now to get an office. Like it's not about policy, it's not about anything. It's truly just to avoid all the legal ship that he's running from.
Speaker 1: And he's like please Christian, to please please come home.
Speaker 4: And it's also I think another example of we we think him saying that is like disqualifying, and they, like his supporters are like, they know he's a.
Speaker 1: Fascist, that's part of that's part of the deal. That's what they're excited about, right.
Speaker 4: You know, And so him saying fascistic shit is going to get them horny for you know, getting him back in office, and he recognizes that.
Speaker 2: But yeah, the other parts, I mean, I think just like the full contact though too is he's because he keeps talking about voter like, you know, bringing raising the specter of like they're they're rigging the elections, right, So the fix is I think it works on multiple levels. I think there's the one part where if he's talking about all of the unfair things the Democrats are doing, we're gonna fix it. But when you say you won't have to vote anymore, that's that's more the operative phrase here, like why not, yeah, you have.
Speaker 4: To vote because we're not gonna have elections. Uh, don't worry.
Speaker 1: About it, Okay, sure, sure, Yeah, it's fucking crazy, all right.
Speaker 4: Also, like I do wonder that now that they are on the cognitive defensive about like his cognitive abilities, I do wonder if he feels like he has to be like just four more years, that's all I need to fix it. I won't Yeah, I won't be president.
Speaker 1: I won't care after that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll do the Biden thing. You can, you can let me go, Not that I think any of his supporters give a shit about that.
Speaker 2: I'll join the Great, the late Great Hannibal elector.
Speaker 1: The great beyond. Okay, sure, in heaven, you won't have to worry about me anymore.
Speaker 4: Okay, dude, has it on to uh my vice president who you all liked so much?
Speaker 1: Yes, Jan Doom, Yes, the late great doctor Von Doom.
Speaker 2: He died, folks has Tony st Yeah, so jd Vance man, the couch fucking energy has only slightly subsided this week.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: John Oliver went in again on Sunday about it. Yeah, a lot of people, Look, it doesn't matter if it's debunked. It's because you just don't the guy is so unlikable. You're just like, yeah, whatever, dude, you love a couch. So Tim Couch is really dealing with a lot.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: Jd Vance is dealing with a lot right now. And it seems like the Democrats now have found a new like their formal line of attack, which is now just calling Trump and Vance just fucking just weird. It's like the thing they're like, yo, these dudes is weird.
Speaker 1: So you're just a.
Speaker 2: Quick There was like a sort of montage put together by MSNBC where you can just sort of see the beginnings of this, and I think it was Tim Waltz that was the first one to really sick a weird, weird fast.
Speaker 8: You know, there's something wrong with people when they talk about freedom, freedom to be in your bedroom, freedom being your zam room, freedom to tell your kids what they can read. That stuff is weird. They come across weird. They seem obsessed with this. We're using this fake living room to talk to you about a super weird idea from jd Vance.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's not. I mean, it's quite weird.
Speaker 2: But what was weird was him joking about racism today and then talking about diet mountain dew.
Speaker 1: Who drinks diet mountain dew. They're just weird. I mean they really are.
Speaker 2: Some of what they are saying, Well, it's just playing weird. So weird it's the word right now, which it's pretty effective somehow. It's because it's it's like it's it's uh, it spans generations, like it means literally weird for older people, for millennials and younger we're like that's like or even gen xers, Like weird is kind of the first shitty insult you learn to, like insult another kid, you know what I mean, Like, oh, yeah, I was called weird so much, but like I learned to embrace that shit. I'm like, yeah, bro, because I'm out here, bro, I'm doing something different.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe I am weird.
Speaker 2: Maybe my lunch is weird, but that's because it's Japanese food. But that's just you know, like that's how you contend with it. But now like it really is, like yo, these dudes is fucking weird. It has a lot of different connotations, and it.
Speaker 4: Does feel like that it is a good encapsulation of like when you see who lost the election, like the midterm elections and stuff, it was the people with the really strange like you know, like trying to overturn the election, like election truthers, or like the ones who are really focused on like trans kids, and you know, like just these policies that are beyond the norm of like what most people care about. Like it does feel like they kind of and and nobody was really even saying that heading into the midterms, but it was like, yeah, they are. They lost the right to be like the people who are like, we're just normal Americans who want to talk to you about like children's.
Speaker 1: Your genitals, yeah, children's genitals. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's like yeah, I mean it it's the most euphemistic way to put it, but I think it encapsulates it in a way. You're saying, like, the norm is to be accepting of people, so when you're on the other side, that's just weird.
Speaker 1: What the fuck? Bro? Yeah, that's weird.
Speaker 2: So yeah, we will see, uh, like where this all goes. But there was also jd Vance was asked on Fox like, hey, man, they're calling you fucking weird bro, any comments on like the weirdo shit?
Speaker 1: And he's like, oh no, I'm not bothered, I'm not hurt.
Speaker 3: He has a new insult out this week that Hurt and her husband have been using towards you, calling you weird?
Speaker 2: Does that hurt your feelings?
Speaker 1: How do you feel about that? No, not at all. Doesn't hurt my feelings. I like how they go.
Speaker 2: I love that question from this Fox News reporter.
Speaker 1: Does it hurt your feelings? You little bitch? Oh wow, you a weird old Huh is that true? Oh yeah, Look at the way you just responded to that question. Do you see that? Do you'll see that back in the studio? The way you like hurt my feelings?
Speaker 2: Okay, anyway, the depth of coverage from Fox, does that hurt your feelings?
Speaker 1: And are your feelings hurt?
Speaker 2: Are you crying. Boohoo, Okay, let us know, let us know, all right, cool, cool action we have here ninety nine days.
Speaker 4: Baby, take your time, take your time.
Speaker 1: That's right, all right.
Speaker 4: Those are some of the stories that are trending right now Monday morning. We are back tomorrow with a whole ass episode of the show. Until then, be kind to each other, be kind to yourselves, get the vaccine, get your flu shots, don't do nothing about white supremacy, and we will talk to you all tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Bye bye.