Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: From the most trusted journalists at Comedy Central.
Speaker 3: It's America's only Sorts produce. This is the Daily Truke with your host Jordan.
Speaker 4: Paper The Daily Truck Good Bluff has so much to talk about Tonight, the d O.
Speaker 5: D only wants heterobomber jets. Jackie Robinson gets benched, and Republicans started GoFundMe for the richest man on Earth.
Speaker 3: So let's get right into it.
Speaker 5: I'm going to common Donald Trump made lots of promises during the presidential campaign, and he emphasized one thing in particular.
Speaker 2: Starting on day one, we will bring competence and common sense back to the Oval Office. Restore competence and effectiveness to our federal government.
Speaker 6: Kamala says, vote for her, and you're voting for joy.
Speaker 3: What's the one more en counterpart?
Speaker 6: Competence competence, but real competence, real real competence, not just he's he's sort of a competent, but no real competence.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 5: Yes, the more you say that something is real, the more people believe you. My real, real girlfriend lives in real Canada. She's just not just sort of my girlfriend, She's my real girlfriend. She's real and I touched her real movies. By the way, what room is that? I feel like the beast must have bell trapped in the room next door. Right, But yes, Trump promised his presidency would be marked by competence, and now that we're two months in, let's see how that's going.
Speaker 7: Some serious secure already concerns over the newly released JFK files and real anger after social security numbers and other private information of more than two hundred people were made public on Tuesday. The Washington Post reports that among them are former congressional staffers and one of Donald Trump's most vocal defenders, his former campaign lawyer, Joseph Degeneva. He is furious, telling the Post it's absolutely outrageous, adding it's like a first grade, elementary level rule of security to redact things.
Speaker 5: Like that whoa man looks like three h four five five sixty six two two is really upset about that, league man SOSA security numbers addresses full names. The only thing that wasn't in the JFK papers was who killed JFK. And Trump's poor, poor lawyer. He's probably like, oh, man, I never would have represented you in your twenty twenty election fraud case. If I knew you'd be untrustworthy.
Speaker 3: Boy, can't be surprised.
Speaker 5: Everything Trump has done so far has been sloppy, whether it's doge not knowing who they're firing, Ice not knowing who they're deporting. Turns out they can't even do a classic DEI purge rite.
Speaker 8: Tonight, the Pentagon sparking outrage after removing from its website a story celebrating the Army record of American icon Jackie Robinson. A senior military official tells US tonight that the Pentagon relies on computer software to scrub DEI content from its websites, and that ultimately those stories about Jackie Robinson were removed by mistake.
Speaker 5: Yeah, oh, don't blame us, blame our racist software.
Speaker 3: We should have never used chat KKK plastic mistake.
Speaker 5: Plastic mistake, be careful where it does not shoot. So Jackie Robinson mistake wasn't even the most embarrassing anti DEI flub.
Speaker 1: In some cases, photos seemed to be flagged for removal simply because their file included the word gay, including service members with that last name, and an image of the B twenty nine aircraft Enola Gay, which dropped the first atomic bomb on Hiroshima.
Speaker 5: That's how lazy they were with this. They just control f't for gay sounding keywords and deleted anything that showed up. Now kids won't know about the Onola Gay, they won't know about transport planes, and they'll never hear about the heroic service of Captain Grinder mcsisary.
Speaker 3: Tragic.
Speaker 5: What's extra tragic is this could have all been avoided if they had just named the plane Aola gay no homo. You know, but maybe getting things right is it this administration's top priority. They have a crisis on their hands. Tesla Stock is in the toilets, and they can't let that happen. Clicis they can't let that happen because Elon Musk is a key member of the Trump administration and more importantly, Republican Party sugar Daddy. So last night they sent Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick to Fox News to make a pitch.
Speaker 9: I think, if you want to learn something on this show tonight by Tesla. It's unbelievable that this guy Stock is this cheap. It'll never be this cheap again when people understand the things he's building, the robots he's building the technology he's building, people are going to be dreaming of today and Jesse Waters and thinking, gosh, I sure bought Elon Musk's stock. I mean, who wouldn't invest in Elon Musk.
Speaker 3: You gotta be kidnaping whoa. It's a gross, a big gross.
Speaker 5: Cabinet members should not be shilling for companies, and that includes those Henry Kissinger hymns dot com ads. But to be fair, it wasn't just out there shilling Tesla stuff. The Commerce Secretary was pushing Elon products that hadn't hit the market yet.
Speaker 9: Go online and look up Optimus. It is the coolest thing you've ever seen. We're all gonna be buying robots. They're gonna cost about.
Speaker 3: Thirty thousand dollars.
Speaker 9: You're gonna be buying a Tesla robot, and anybody doesn't buy a Tesla robot is going to be silly.
Speaker 3: Yeah you hear that.
Speaker 5: People who don't buy a thirty thousand dollars robot that isn't on the market yet and will probably strangle you in.
Speaker 3: Your sleep, you're gonna look silly.
Speaker 5: These poor everyday Fox viewers must be so confused. They came here for the xenophobia and pretty ladies, and now they have to mortgage.
Speaker 3: Their house to buy a robot with a thigh gap.
Speaker 5: It's so embarrassing that this guy is using his position on TV to sell shit to the American people. Why are you so hungry for must approval when you should be hungry for a tackle bell, build your own craving box, a shelupa Sapreme burrito aside, and a drink for under seven bucks. It's called integrity, and it's how you live Moss integrity. You know, it's not just the Trump administration. The whole team over at Fox News is doing their part.
Speaker 3: I own a Tesla. It's amazing. I ordered my Tesla today. I told my wife, Hey, I think we should buy a Tesla. So you're going on to buy one, Go get a Tesla. I'm going to buy a Tesla today.
Speaker 9: By the way, nice nice, nice, nice nice.
Speaker 3: Oh Man.
Speaker 5: Pretty soon even Fox is going to stop saying Merry Christmas and replace it with happy Tesla December to remember sales events. For more of the Trump administration's priorities, we go to the White House with Troy Iwada. Roy Joy's the what's the mood over there?
Speaker 3: Bad, Jordan, real bad.
Speaker 10: But we're hanging on to hope that we can get Elon Musk through this hard time.
Speaker 3: And luckily you can help.
Speaker 10: For the simple price of thirty thousand dollars. That's just seventy thousand cups of coffee a day. You can make sure the richest man in America stays the richest man in America.
Speaker 5: Okay, well, well, Troy, Troy, are you are you running a charity for Elon Musk?
Speaker 10: I was trying to before you rudely interrupted me. This man is barely worth three hundred billion dollars at this point, but we can change that. For the simple price of fifty thousand dollars, you can help a fifty three year old boy afford all the things he was already able to afford.
Speaker 5: Okay, wait, no, no, stop stouth, the music, stop the music.
Speaker 3: Please. Look, I'm sorry, I'm sorry.
Speaker 5: I just don't understand why it's our responsibility to help a man who's destroying his own brand with deeply unpopular policies.
Speaker 10: Wow, Jordan, Okay, I thought liberals were supposed to care about immigrants and African Americans, of which Elon is both, and you know he's not as rich as he used to be. He lost forty billion dollars. That's forty billion Arizona iced teas. But we can fix that. For the simple price of one hundred and sixty thousand dollars. You can support an African man in need and his beautiful growing ketamine addiction.
Speaker 5: No, Troy, sorry, no, no, this is insane. Also, why is the number getting higher? I just don't get why Elon musch choices should be America's problem.
Speaker 10: Okay, you know what the real problem is.
Speaker 3: You keep being interrupting. All right, I'm all right.
Speaker 5: I think it's on Elon to fix his own mess. Ye know, I'm sorry, didn't mean to interrupt you.
Speaker 3: It's okay.
Speaker 10: I forgive you because you can help for the even simpler price of two and a half million dollars. You will get a thank you letter from one of his thirty seven children asking how they can get in touch with their father.
Speaker 3: No, Troy, come on, come on.
Speaker 10: Jordan, I am trying to help someone.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 5: It's bad enough that the executive branch of the US government is devoted to hyping Elon's businesses.
Speaker 3: Shouldn't we help the less fortunate?
Speaker 10: You mean, like Jeff Bezos for the simple price of one non union factory.
Speaker 3: All right, you know, I never joy you what everybody?
Speaker 5: When we come back, we'll find out how to survive the end of the world.
Speaker 3: Don't go well, Welcome back to the Daily Show. Everyone is worried about the world right now.
Speaker 5: But even with the Trump administration, there's only a forty percent chance of an apocalypse at most.
Speaker 3: But are you ready for that chance? Michael Costa spoke to some people.
Speaker 11: Who are America seems pretty idyllic, but at any moment we could be faced with a pandemic, a climate disaster, or even a civil war that would lead to total societal collapse.
Speaker 3: But for some Americans this is a great business opportunity.
Speaker 2: The hottest trend in the booming prepper market post apocalyptic real estate market. Leader Fortitude Ranch sells shares in remote survival communities in eight US locations with around eight hundred paying members. I met CEO Drew Miller inside his giant Jenka Tower in West Texas.
Speaker 12: It's like joining a country club.
Speaker 13: So in good times you could come out here and vacation, recreate, go to fund sites in the area. But when the shit hits the fan, we turn into a survival community.
Speaker 2: The country club that I belong to doesn't have a fifty caliber assault rifle hanging in the corner. So you have people now who have bought into Fortitude Ranch.
Speaker 12: Oh yeah, we've been around for over a decade.
Speaker 2: Okay, but these are just like right wing nut jobs, no for normal people.
Speaker 12: Most of them are professionals.
Speaker 13: The estimate now is that one third of Americans are doing prepping for a collapse.
Speaker 2: According to Drew, the stereotype of preppers as paranoid, gun humping, roadkill eating outcasts is becoming outdated as societal collapse is getting less outlandish all the time.
Speaker 3: So what are you preparing for?
Speaker 12: Exactly? Well?
Speaker 13: Number one, the economy's not functioning, okay. Number two, there's widespread loss of law and order. So and the grid goes down. Up to ninety percent of the US population will die.
Speaker 12: It's h five and one pandemic. It's a North Korean attack on the electric grid.
Speaker 13: Yellowstone blows up, causes a winter that destroys crops worldwide.
Speaker 3: Together, Swift retires.
Speaker 12: She doesn't quite makefield severity.
Speaker 3: Great disagree in a way.
Speaker 2: Are you kind of hoping there's a total collapse?
Speaker 12: Just to prove that you're right.
Speaker 13: No, I'm resigned to it, but there would be a quick like I told you, mother, now get to your stations.
Speaker 11: But just everybody saying Drew's the smartest.
Speaker 12: Millions of preppers have been saying this.
Speaker 2: So so who are the new normy preppers? I sat down with RANCH member Ryan, who seems more Bushwick Barista than rugged survivalist. You don't give me right wing prepper vibe.
Speaker 14: No, I'm not. I'm not a right when you're at all. I have no idea how to you know if you if you drop me off in a mountain somewhere, like I'd survive for a few days.
Speaker 2: What do you think is causing not just you, but millions of Americans to feel that maybe doomsday is coming?
Speaker 14: Political realism right, Like, there's there's some shitty things that are happening right now. I mean, just for the the ability to not look at news anymore and just know that if something happens, you're covering.
Speaker 3: This is definitely cheaper than therapy. Both my parents are psychologists.
Speaker 12: That's why we're so up.
Speaker 11: How much money would you say you give fortune Ranch?
Speaker 14: It's about three thousand dollars and then you know, if you you know, it's quarterly payments.
Speaker 3: It's not cheap Fortitude ranch.
Speaker 14: No, it's not cheap.
Speaker 2: So what is Ryan get for his three thousand dollars? I suited up to take the tour. First up the entry level spartan room, which would make most New Yorkers say, I guess I don't have it that bad.
Speaker 12: So the bunk beds here, there's probably about fourteen.
Speaker 15: Kind of fun, kind of like camp, you know, all the little games you could play with each other. My buddy might keller her I fell asleep with the sleepover and he put my hand in warm water, right, and I shit myself.
Speaker 12: I'm not going to do that too.
Speaker 2: But of course there are several upscale tiers from a private room with a very personal toilet.
Speaker 15: Having the toilet next to the bed, it almost gives it that prison field.
Speaker 12: Well it's a couple, so we shouldn't mind.
Speaker 11: I mean some people get off on watching people use the bathroom.
Speaker 12: I don't know about that.
Speaker 2: To surviving in luxury in a penthouse suite with a walk in kitchen, so.
Speaker 11: This would be considered a high end suite, correct.
Speaker 15: You know, if I wanted to knock out this area and put a breakfast nook here if you have a contractor for that.
Speaker 2: In its own dual purpose wall, bed wallup urphy bed cream exers.
Speaker 13: It's a full queen size.
Speaker 12: Yeah, this is pretty good.
Speaker 3: This feels perfect for the collapse.
Speaker 2: Fortitude Ranch doesn't just offer a place to rest your head, but also the hardware necessary to blow off anyone else's.
Speaker 13: The major weapons we recommend for our members is either a twelve gage pump shotgun or an AR fifteen like the ones behind you there.
Speaker 12: You know what I like here?
Speaker 16: The knife?
Speaker 12: Cool? If I just use that, I feel.
Speaker 11: Like people use guns are afraid of intimacy.
Speaker 1: Not me.
Speaker 2: How Fortunately, all ranch members are trained to engage in combat operations.
Speaker 3: We see you, We're gonna shoot you. Back up, bitch. Drew's got a gun.
Speaker 13: So if there was a marauder out there, the guard would shoot immediately.
Speaker 3: You don't even you don't say a backup, bitch?
Speaker 12: No, we don't.
Speaker 3: Well, don't you come to me when you wipe out? Entire troop of girl Scouts on cookies and.
Speaker 2: Most amazingly, this ranch is all inclusive. The food supply for each member is guaranteed for a full year.
Speaker 16: Those.
Speaker 2: Some ranch inhabitants might not be as happy with the arrangement.
Speaker 13: If it gets really, really, really bad, you'd potentially be dining on Lama.
Speaker 15: Let's be honest, if the collapse lasts long enough, anybody could be food.
Speaker 12: Not our members.
Speaker 13: But if you're a marauder and you attack us, we're not going to eat you directly. We'll bury marauder bodies where our chickens can feed on the worms they produce. We want every calorie we can get a survival situation.
Speaker 12: Cool, thanks, good talking to youre.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna get the fuck out of here.
Speaker 2: Drew's chicken a la Marauder would certainly be a must try, but it did also raise some lingering questions about this post apocalyptic paradise. I mean, if society collapses out there, there's the same likelihood that society would collapse in here.
Speaker 14: It's a good point, right, Yeah, taking a chance.
Speaker 3: Have you thought about that day?
Speaker 14: But you know it is at a certain point. It's just like, you know, you got to prepare for this, You got to prepare for this.
Speaker 3: You go so you're not worried about Drew or.
Speaker 11: His staff killing us, eating our food or worse.
Speaker 14: I haven't putting much thought into it, and I just you know, it is what it is.
Speaker 2: It is better not to dwell on the worst case scenario when you're prepping for the apocalypse. After all, being in the surviving ten percent of humanity would also offer some exciting opportunities. I've decided that I'm willing to be a member here at Fortitude Ranch.
Speaker 13: We will be willing to lease to you the luxury suite during a clipse, but.
Speaker 2: I would like to be in charge of the repopulation program.
Speaker 13: I don't think Fortune Ranch is going to organize anything like that, but what you do on your personal time is your personal friend.
Speaker 15: I love these libertarians.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Michael. We'll come back.
Speaker 5: Peter Woolf, who'll be enjoining me on the show, don't go well. Welcome Mathewdls, my guest tonight is a legendary musician an artist who was the frontman of the Jay Giles Band. His new memoir is called Waiting on the Moon. Please welcome Peter Wolf.
Speaker 12: Not you, Peter Wolf?
Speaker 5: Can I say not only legendary frontman of the Jay Giles Band on tour, but also now New York Times best selling author Peter Wolf is that right legend, thank you.
Speaker 3: How did that feel? Well? If well, I'll tell you.
Speaker 16: I was coming down from Boston and all of a sudden my phone started lighting up like Times square, and all of a sudden I found the news. So it's too sent for me to even feel anything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let it in, Peter, let it in.
Speaker 16: Let But you know, I'm the kind of guy that you know, Uh, comedy depresses me. So you know, if it's half emptier, well not you, thank you very much Jesus. But if it's half empty or half full, I go to the half empty side, so it still hasn't kind of sunk yet.
Speaker 5: The best best thing about half empty is it's closer to a refill.
Speaker 3: There you go. That's pretty good.
Speaker 16: Right, well, Okay, this was unplanned. Jordan does not know about this, but I did some research on him and he comes from Kalamazoo. So I got you some special yes, some special bourbon from calam Oh, dear lord, can we get something from Kentucky in here? Please?
Speaker 3: Oh my god? We can't. We can We'll go blind, Peter.
Speaker 16: Well, maybe we'll maybe we'll talk for a little bit and then we'll have a little shower.
Speaker 3: Or should we just Let's celebrate, celebrate, celebrate, cheer.
Speaker 1: Thank you?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, that that tastes like Southwest.
Speaker 3: Michigan baby, yes?
Speaker 14: Oh?
Speaker 16: Or but about flint waters a little healthier than flint water. Yes.
Speaker 5: I have to say, as we're getting personal, that this is a special moment to me in that the sounds in my household growing up were the sounds of the Jay Giles band, oftentimes Full House, oftentimes the Bloodshot album, and my father would come out singing bright and early on Saturday morning, and more often than not, he would sing you, saying the phrase take out your false teeth, Mama, I want to suck on your gums. And I have you to thank for both that comment and the little scar that I left on my heart.
Speaker 16: And now I find out I don't know if I should be saying this, but I got to meet your dad in the dressing you did?
Speaker 3: He came in? Where is he? Where is he? Mark Clepper's over there in the corner. Yes, yes, all the way. We gotta get him out. We got Can we get him out for one clack chase? You want to get him out?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 5: One, Mark Clipper, come on out and it's my dad.
Speaker 3: Come on, come on you want to come on.
Speaker 16: I was telling your dad that Full House was my favorite Jay Giles record. Yeah, and uh, you know you like all of them, but that one happens to be my favorite because it just was like a snapshot of what we did, like the decisive moment, and we just started at you know, ninety nine miles an hour and just kept going. Yeah, and your dad was there. It was in a place called the Cinderella Ballroom, and the place was so funky that about six months after we played it, they just tore it down and it's still.
Speaker 3: An empty lot. You literally brought down the hill. You brought down there, He brought down the house. I mean, it's.
Speaker 5: This, this book is it's it's it's great. You're sort of I read this, you're sort of the forest Gump of music and culture of the last fifty years. Like you have chapters in here, the little vignettes with Eleanor Roosevelt, Andy Warhol, John Lennon, Norman Rockwell, David Lynch, like these little these little moments that you find yourself in.
Speaker 3: Why why frame your experience through that lens?
Speaker 16: Well, you know, during the pandemic, everybody was friends of mine were writing rock opera's symphonies, doing this and doing that. I just sat and I watched old movies and read. And then a lot of musicians started putting out memoirs, and a lot of them were just, you know, a cookie cutter kind of thing, unless you were really into the musician. They were kind of boring, and and not all of them, but many of them. And so I decided I was thinking for ten years of writing a book. And there was a friend of mine, a steam writer, Peter Gerlnik, that wrote some great books on music, the best books and Elvis that ever been written. And he said to me, Peter, if you're going to write the book, you better start now because the people you're gonna want read are going to be dead. And so there are a lot of notable names in this book, but it's really I didn't want it to be about me. I wanted it to be about the people that I idolized, and people like Aretha Franklin, who I got to work with, and people like you know, Muddy Waters and Johnley Hooker and and a lot of the book. Yeah, that's right, We've got a Johnley Hooker, fanog and Van Morrison and all these people that I was honored, you know, to get to meet and so when I wrote some when I read some of these other books, they would describe, oh, we ran into so and so, but they didn't really you who what so and so was about?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I.
Speaker 16: Tried to, you know, bring out the experiences that I had with these artists, and not all artists and people are not well known, but people that I thought were just great characters and who really influenced my life.
Speaker 5: I loved a chapter that I loved is you you talk about being in the Greenwich Village in the sixties, sort of as Dylan is coming up and you're a little bit younger than Dylan and sort of coming up and watching, watching what was happening and being a part of that scene. Like what did that scene feel like? I think right now there's sort of this new focus on that era in music with the movie that came out, but it seems so so dynamic and yet so intimate at the same time.
Speaker 16: It was. I mean, Greened's village was like a small left bank. There was no Neon signs. You had all filled with painters, lots of bohemian people, and of course there was the folk music and a lot of great jazz. There was great jazz clubs in so you had people like Charlie Mingus and you know, Macelonious Monk playing and little clubs and you can see him almost every night. And then there were the folk singers. I was sixteen years old and I was in this store going through some records and was a very famous store called the Folklore Center where all the folk musicians hung out. And I'm hearing behind the curtain this voice, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Peo hell little peegy who all.
Speaker 16: Rdy the Franklin.
Speaker 3: We need some more?
Speaker 16: And so I got mesmerized by this voice. I couldn't see who it was was behind the curtain, didn't know if it was you know, And all of a sudden, this fella comes out with these two other people walking out with guitars, and I go up to the owner of the you know, the shop, and I said, who was that guy? And from that point on I became mesmerized with the person who became Bob Dylan, and I tried to find out everywhere he played. I was sixteen years old and Bob had just come into New York City. I think it was the second week in New York City and so I got to really see him as he, you know, first became Bob Dylan, and he used to go and hang out at this place called Gerdies Folk City, and every Monday they would have a hooting nanny and you paid a dollar to get in, and you had to be eighteen the drinking ages eighteen. I was sixteen. So I would always go with someone as tall and handsome as yourself.
Speaker 3: Smart move, very smart, very smart move.
Speaker 16: And so we'd get in and I'd always rush to the bar where Bob would be every Monday, and he'd be sitting at the bar, and I remember, you know, he'd be sitting at the bar. I'd be over here and he'd be talking to some guy. You know, I just heard this guy, Robert Johnson.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 16: I could tell you, man, this guy was something else. He has cheasing Robie Johnson, and I could tell truthing people. And he's talking and he had a glass of you know, wine next to him, and so I'd be sitting next to him and Bob would be talking and he'd turn around and go, oh hey, Joe, another little glass here. Guy would tell her about it. Bob would take a little sip, he put it down. I'd go whoo. I was sixteen. I couldn't get anything, so he keep going. I would drink all Bob Billins you know wine, you would.
Speaker 3: Take it, yeah, at Bob Villin's juice.
Speaker 16: So I stayed a fan all the way through the years. And I'm still a fan. And because he's still going, he's still doing it and it's unique and just getting to know him. And there's a story in that book where I was drinking to get really loaded. Back then, I would drink these things called rum fifty one McCarty one, one hundred and fifty one percent alcohol. Okay, so the whole idea is don't eat. Drink two of those down really quick, Yeah, and you get smashed.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, I think that would burn your insides.
Speaker 16: And so I'm staggering down six or seventh Avenue. There's Oh Henry Steakhouse, and there I see my idol, Bob Billan, sitting there all alone, reading the New York Times, and he sees me coming and he pulls the Times over his face. It's too late. And I walk over to the table and I sit down and I say to him, which everyone says to a celebrity, excuse me, sir, I don't mean to bother you, but then they proceed to do everything they said they're not gonna do it well. In the book, it's one of my favorite chapters is uh, my interaction with Bob and I'll just let it leave it at that.
Speaker 5: You're gonna have to buy it, everybody say, or go to the library.
Speaker 3: You go to the library to get it.
Speaker 5: What I love about some of these stories is it does feel like like you have these wonderful stories with Muddy Waters and Johnny Lee Hooker, John Lee Hooker and that that essentially are you working your way into carrying musical equipment to get close to folks. Like it feels as if music and also like tradition was being passed shoulder to shoulder literally or perhaps murlow to murlou whoever you're stealing. Yeah, Like, in some ways your book is like a testament to the art of hanging out.
Speaker 16: Well, you know, I I saw Muddy Waters first on an album cover, and I was intrigued by this album cover vest of Muddy Waters, and I would just play it over and over, and then I finally realized he was playing at the small club Club forty seven, where Bob Dylan joem Baez got her start, and so I would hang out he was playing one afternoon. I got there at like two o'clock in the alfternoon and just waited and waited, and finally these two black cadillacs came coming up to the club and there he was, my idol, beautiful, handsome, noble regal outstep Muddy Waters. And I ran up to him and said, mister Waters, welcome to Cambridge, Massachusetts. Is there anything I can do for you? Yeah, you can carry that equipment? And he thought I worked in the club. And so I was in the club and it was a coffee shop, and in the I was in the bathroom and in the loo and two of Muddy's band members, the Great James Cotton Notice band, they were in the they saying this is a coffee shop. And one of them said, the other one.
Speaker 12: Yeah, so what he said?
Speaker 16: They didn't serve coffee because they don't serve booze.
Speaker 3: No, man, it's just coffee. What kind of club is this?
Speaker 16: So I'd come out of the stool and said I'll get you some booze, and I did, and that started the friendship. And I had an apartment two blocks away. And so what eventually happened was there was the dressing room.
Speaker 3: Was the size of this cup.
Speaker 16: And so Muddy and the entire band ended up with my apartment for over two weeks and I got to like sit there and there was Muddy Waters lying down the fruton. You know, has you know, a T shirt on what's the word that you call it?
Speaker 3: Tank top?
Speaker 16: Tank to tank top land in bed and he were telling me stories of how he first saw heard Robert Johnson. Everyone was all talking about different things. James Cotton was cooking up all this down home, and I just drove it all in and I tried to describe how great these men were and also how their lives were where they just went from city to city. They didn't have really much money. They just they just lived from dollar to dollar, and you know, they were legend and they supplied our you know, musicians like me with so much. So I tried to repay it by recapturing them in the story. And there's the guy you looked. Yeah, if I might tell one tale that the Johnley Hooker who became a favorite of min. So they're all our favorites, but John Lee particular because John Lee traveled alone. He didn't have a band, and he had these wrap around sunglasses. He was not too tall. He had a terrible stutter when he was off stage, but he was on stage. He never studied. And I got to meet with him and then went to his first appearance, and like Moudey, very few people came at that time, and so I convinced him to let my band, which was called this was the sixties, the Hallucinations. Sure, and so we were all art students and all hallucinator. So I convinced John Lee Hooker to let us open up for them. And then I asked, you know, mister hook would you mind if I can buy the hotel?
Speaker 3: And hung out with him.
Speaker 16: Now this the guy had wrap around sunglasses, you know the cap He sang songs like well, you know these great blue songs, and he said, yeah, come by Lenox Hotel, four o'clock, Room three h two. Oh man, it was like Christmas time. I was standing by that door at three o'clock. At four o'clock, I knocked on the door. I heard a voice come on in and I walked in.
Speaker 3: His door was open.
Speaker 16: I opened up the door and it was really dark except for a TV screen, and there on the bed was the great John Lee Hooker with these argyle socks you.
Speaker 3: Know, all the way you know, all the way up there, and.
Speaker 16: He had on you know, tank top dou rag on his head, wrap around sunglasses. On the night table was a bottle of Valentine's Scotch. There was cool cigarettes all up in the astray and there was you know this, you know cools. And then on the other bed, she was just beautiful curves, I mean beautifully laid out on the bed. All across the bed was this three thirty five guitar, and there was the Blue Man and he said, come on in. Room was dark, TV was on. I pulled up a chair. He say, on down, and I'm sitting down and you know, waiting for a conversation. I'm realizing that John is right riveted in the TV screen. So I look over at the TV screen and this is the man that sang, I'm mad.
Speaker 3: I'm bad.
Speaker 16: I can cut you, I can beat you, I could stab you, I could kill you. I'm mad, I'm bad like Jesse James. This man with the rap brown sunglasses watching TV. And I realized John Lee Hooker is watching Lassie.
Speaker 3: When he realizes I realize.
Speaker 16: The in ways that Peter, let me tell you man, and then that last he's one mother.
Speaker 3: Nothing about wonderful stories in this Waiting on the Moon is.
Speaker 5: Available now, Peter Walk, We're gonna take it quick.
Speaker 3: Frank, what wal not gon show for right now here?
Speaker 6: It is when the Biden administration isn't fantasizing about renewables and and energy independence with renewables, they're begging Americans. They're lecturing us to buy electric cars. They tell us over and over again, buy an electric car.
Speaker 13: Explore more shows from The Daily Show podcast universe by searching.
Speaker 3: The Daily Show wherever you get your podcast. Watch The Daily Show weeknights at eleven.
Speaker 13: Tenth Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount
Speaker 3: Plus Paramount Podcasts