Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: And we're about to unpack the jade and Daniels story as well. It's a day two Jaden Daniels story with our guests, and he's right there right now, So let's bring him in. Why not, John Blow here, sit down, LSU football reporter for The Advocate in Times. Pick aywn John. My name is Anthony Joseph Paul really, and it's great to meet you.
Speaker 3: It's great to meet here too, Tony John.
Speaker 2: Please talk to me like I am a ten year old or a golden retriever. Okay, like I don't know anything. Take me back to how this started, this kerfuffle over the number five and this relationship Jadeen Daniels and LSU going sour.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So DJ Pickett, who's a sophomore cornerback as Warren number five his entire life, going back to being four years old, and supposedly Brian Kelly promised him while he was being recruited that he could have number five. Obviously, number five very important LSU because Jayden Dandaniels wore that number in twenty twenty three when he won the Heisman. Daniels apparently found out and his team found out the DJ Pickett wanted this number. I think Lane Kiffet had made contact with all the representatives to let them know, and Jayden was not happy about that. And obviously there now has been the cease and desist letter that Jayden's attorney sent to LSU saying, no longer use my name. Imagine likeness please, And so DJ Piickett, I mean he's still wearing the number. Lane's not saying a whole lot other than again, it was a promise made by the previous staff and so we're gonna let the kid wear the number.
Speaker 2: So Kiffin did reach out to Daniels beforehand.
Speaker 3: That's what That's the impression I'm under, yes, is that there was contact, and so Jayden was aware this was happening, has been bruined for a little bit, and then obviously it led to the letter from his lawyer.
Speaker 2: How does it go from bother to cease and desist letter and the sprinkling of lawsuit in here.
Speaker 3: I don't know, that's an interesting question. I mean, obviously all of us are watching this as observers and saying this seems a little drastic. Maybe this isn't you know, a great look for a former Heisman winner to kind of have be in a dispute with their with their school, and and that's at the school couldn't resolve this without it getting to this point. It's kind of on a lot of people's faces right now. So that is a good question. I don't know how we get from. You know, obviously there's upset and the camp, the Jane Daniels camp is upset to obviously this this letter being made public, and obviously there was a statement from the ESPN report that kind of came along with it that hey, we're extremely disappointed and feel disrespected and all that stuff. So yeah, it's uh, it's a little confounding how we got to this point.
Speaker 2: I would say, how did Lane Kiffin respond yesterday?
Speaker 3: So we asked him if you had any comment. All he did was referred to his previous statement, which is that again Brian Kelly, previous staff promised it to him that he was just going to follow through with that promise, and they wasn't adding anything more.
Speaker 4: We're moving on.
Speaker 3: It's what he said. I even specifically asked them because there's a lot of wonderment out there. The number nine is not officially retired, but he's more number nine since show Burrow like, if you, as the coach, were to have a player come to you and say, can I have number nine? What would your thought process being? Obviously, because he's referring back to the previous staff on this issue, So then he didn't. He said, hey, there's a lot of hypotheticals. I'm not going to get into that, and that's it. So he really didn't want to address the issue much at all.
Speaker 2: Any Further, every team has its standard practice, the letter of the law, if it is in fact a law for this is jerseys can be retired or current jerseys cannot be retired. This is where I'm a little bit perplexed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and this is probably where the issue is with LSU is they don't really don't. I mean, they have their their practice, which is that, yeah, after five years, your jersey can be retired, but that doesn't take the number out of circulation. The only number at LSU that is truly retired is Billy Cannon's number twenty, for he won the Heisman in nineteen fifty nine. Joe Burrow's not officially retired. Jane Daniels is not officially retired. Nobody else is officially retired, and so it's really more of an unofficial, unwritten rule out of respect. And I think Joe Burrow even made a comment that he's been told by people at LSU that you know, they're not going to use his number, and I think Jane was under the same impression. But there is no you know, this is retired done, that's it, So that that kind of creates the situation.
Speaker 2: I think John Blow, LSU reporter, the advocate of times picking, you please tell me how LSU fans are feeling at this moment and perhaps if you can gauge which side they are on.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I don't think this was good for Jane Daniels. You know, we even went back and talked to DJ Pickett's family and talked to his dad because we were actually working on a story just about why the number five was important to DJ Pickett, and he said, hey, man, this the whole situation makes us want to wear the number even more. And when we posted that story, all kinds of LSU fans are saying, man, we love DJ Pickett even more, like go DJ, you know very much. I think a lot of LSU fans are upset that again this became this public, this this kind of you know, nasty that this whole thing happened. I don't think that LSU fans are really on board with Jade Daniels with this.
Speaker 2: Getting back to my request, respectfully to talk to me like I'm a five year old or a golden retriever, explained to me the name image and like this part of this, like what was really the claim?
Speaker 3: We don't know. I mean, it really doesn't make a whole lot of sense because I guess the only thing that maybe they could say is, hey, take you know, Jaden's image out of these you know highlights or something like that, if you're showing you know, past highlight reels, take Jayden out. But then is that good for Jayden that he's no longer being recognized or seen for what he did at LSU. I know there was a request for maybe the Heisman trophy. LSU's copy of the Heisman trophy be returned, and maybe Jayden could put it where he wants to put it, maybe his old high school or something like that. But at the same time, it's LSU's copy, so I don't think he really has any right to that either we're actually trying to get IP attorneys on the phone, because yeah, yeah, who knows.
Speaker 2: Is there a way out of this? I mean, it seems like there's two sides ten toes down and we did a poll here on Dan Patrick showed it was in favor of LSU side of it eighty twenty. And you're telling me you're hearing very similar things and it does make sense. Is there a way? Can you imagine a way out of this for Jade and Daniels?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know. Yeah, again, you already put it out there. They're upset, so everybody knows that. I don't know. If DJ Pikett's gonna stop wearing the number, I mean, I don't that's a way out of it. If DJ wanted to change numbers and go back and say sorry, I didn't know it was gonna be this big of a problem. But that doesn't sound like that's happening. And so yeah, I don't know. I mean, build a statue for Jayden, try to get the two sides together to you know, say hey, we have respect for you. This is how we're respecting you. Put a jersey. I don't know, patch on DJ Pickett's jersey.
Speaker 2: There you go, John Solutions oriented John blow here. Yes, the patches, the statues, I can I can see where that is real quick on the statue the Heisman trophy again factor fiction asking for the high the LSU version of the heisman, where he already has his own version of the heisman, but asking for the LSU version of the heisman? Is that true? Is that? Is that what you've been able to surmise?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that has come up. I don't know, you know how you know stringent that demand was. It wasn't in the actual cease and assist better part. So I don't know if they're going to take him to court over it, but it's but from what I've heard, yeah, I mean that that was something.
Speaker 4: That was asked.
Speaker 3: Again, it's LSU's so.
Speaker 2: I'm my understanding as ls you buys that right.
Speaker 3: Yes, I don't think he can demand. He can ask, but I don't think he can demand.
Speaker 2: Still searching for a way to get onto Daniel's head here and and his side of it, I'm not there quite yet. One last question here, what would you consider a successful season for Link if in.
Speaker 3: This year the playoff? I think you know obviously BUS. Yes, I would say playoff or BUS. I know some people are saying National championship or BUS obviously because they invested like forty plus million dollars in this roster. And obviously you paid fifty four million for Brian Kelly to leave, and so there's a lot invested, a lot riding on this. But I think as long as you make the playoff and or you're at least very much on the borderline, I mean, I think if you missed it near the border line, it's gonna be allowed disappointment. But I just think you got to get to the playoffs show you're in contention, you know, for bigger things, whether it had again winning a Natty, like Urban Meyer said, they have to be within a swig of it. I don't know if that's it, but I think getting to the playoff I think is kind of the benchmark for those guys.
Speaker 2: He's John Blau unless you football reporter for The Advocate Times picking you so thankful for your time today being here with us, John.
Speaker 3: I appreciate it. Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio wapp.
Speaker 2: So that gots here.
Speaker 5: I have a podcast empire.
Speaker 2: It continues to grow, and I.
Speaker 5: Have brought it here to iHeart. I'm also doing a live radio show from three to five pm Eastern because my wife wanted to kick me out of the house. It's called Stegatzi Company Live, which is available in podcast form right when the show finishes every single day.
Speaker 2: Some of the biggest names in sports, a lot of phone calls I love you on the show, my favorite, a.
Speaker 5: Lot of interact shit guys not taking themselves too seriously. Those are just some of the things that you can expect from Stu Gottson Company and Steve Gotson Company Live. So listen to stew Godson Company Live and our original podcast. Please subscribe, rate and review Stu Gotson Company and God Bless Football. Taylor's livelihood depends on it. You do it today and you can check all of those out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcast or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Now, I turn to my friend Courtney Cronin, who I am just so happy to see Courtney. How are you? How's the family? It's been so long?
Speaker 6: Oh look at that I know that's.
Speaker 2: The smiling face of Corney Cronin.
Speaker 6: I've missed you, I've missed you a lot. I'm so glad I missed you more in the seat, and I'm glad that we have a chance to talk about the non Indiana. Yes, I think it's what they were rumored to have a maybe been thinking about changing their name too, But that's not going to happen. We heard from George McCaskey yesterday. They go to Hammond. If they stay in Arlington Heights, day in Illinois and build in Arlington Heights, they are still the Chicago Bears.
Speaker 2: It's a saga though, all right, we're going on four years, five years? How real is Hammond now? Is Illinois actually losing the Bears should it happen? Can can a team feel it's still their state team even if it's over a state line? How do I live in New York and the New York teams play in New Jersey? But how does a Midwesterner feel about that?
Speaker 6: So for me, I try to think geographically, what is going to be the biggest burden for fans and the people who are going to games at Soldier Field right now won't have to travel that much further if they move to Hammond, because it's right around the bend in the Lake. It's twenty something miles away. It's not that far. But there are people who look at this and say, how could you move a charter franchise, a team that's going into its one hundredth and seventh season across state lines into Indiana. How can the state of Illinois allow this to happen? How can they not throw a hail Mary. Well, they've had four years to try to figure it out, and we are still at this conundrum that the Bears clearly don't want to go to Indiana because they could have been gone by now. But now Illinois, since they haven't done anything in a while, they did not pass legislation at the Bears say they need to build this stadium, which is that tax certainty in the form of the pilot bill, which is payment in lieu of taxes. I've become like an expert on this stuff, you know, the antilayer stuff. I love the exes and OSA football, but I really really love like talking about, like you know, the cost of steel rides, roads widening, and how that whole thing's going to work.
Speaker 2: But yeah, no.
Speaker 6: I mean there's a lot of fans that look at this and say, I'll still be a fan, but I'm not going to want to go to game, which I don't know if I entirely buy that the team can exist in this region, whether it's in Illinois or Indiana and still maintain the same identity. But it's definitely become this revolving door of information where you're not really getting any new information, just things moved around that leads you to the same place, right, but also not have a new stadium and they've been trying to do this now for four years.
Speaker 2: But also misinformation. It's almost like you feel the Indiana Bears came out that report, the rumor came out, you know, purposefully as a cudgel to throw out and some of this also is in a negotiating strategy on the other side. From Illinois perspective too, that's what it feels like for me. From Afar, Well, let.
Speaker 6: Me address that report that what came out, whatever was floating out there the other day. Respectfully, I don't give that report much credence. Someone's claiming they are an analyst, you're usually an analyst. If you're an expert in a certain subject matter. No one credible on the beat, no incredible who covers the team is around the team was reporting anything about this, and from what you know, I talked to a very high level source on Wednesday night. I was told it was not going to be a major stadium announcement, and it really wasn't. The only new thing we learned yesterday was that there's now an additional site, so the wolf Lake Terminal the Lost Marsh site, two areas that Tony, you have no clue. I would like to pull up a map right now and make you pick out him in Indiana, just like you'll probably get the general region. But like they're they're going to maybe merge these two sites because they've been doing all of this due diligence and testing to make sure that it's safe. And we're not going to walk away with you know, some sort of you know, a third leg growing out of our body because it isn't an area where there's steel mills.
Speaker 2: Oh, exactly a lot of environmental but just imagine a running back with three legs. Though, I mean, honestly, what are we talking about here?
Speaker 6: You know, unfair advantage for thirty one other teams.
Speaker 2: Wow, you know what, Corny, thank you so much. And of course that's why I'm happy I have here to tell me what's so unfounded and lacking founding. Let's get on the field please here. You've talked to Ben Johnson all summer. Ben Johnson this week made a little bit of news talking about his goal and the goal was for the greatest offense in the history of the NFL. How serious is he and that type of ambition? Is that a good thing or maybe not so good thing.
Speaker 6: I think he is as serious as a heart attack. That is who Ben Johnson is. It's not to him that is not an unreasonable goal. That's how he views this team. He came in and took a team that was awful from a year before it won five games in twenty twenty four and turned them into the NFC North champion and an organization that won its first franchise on its first playoff game in fifteen years. You do that in year one, you're not going to be trying to set anything other than shoot for the moon level goals for the rest of your tenure as the Bear coach, which he's brought something to this group that they didn't have, which is tangible hope based on actual results. At this time last year, we weren't exactly sure how Caleb Williams was going to look in this offense, whether it would be explosive. We knew it worked in Detroit, but you had Jared Goff and a quarterback in a quarterback who had done so much throughout his career that he'd already proven himself, and you wondered how that would translate to Chicago. It took a while, took the whole offseason, took the first month of the season, and then they started to figure it out. Now you build upon that, and for Ben, who is one of the most relentless competitors I've ever been around, I've ever covered. I mean, in the story that was written on the Athletic, they talk about that laser stare, and I've been on the receiving end of that laser stare in some press conferences. That thing will like see right through your soul. And that's just who he is as someone who wants to put up a ton of points, win games, and blowout fashion. And I believe he called for shutouts too, so.
Speaker 2: Oh he wants it all right.
Speaker 6: Once it all I mean, the thing is he's writing a lot of checks that he better hope his players can cash because this is going to be bulletin board material for all the teams that they face this year. Defenses are going to say they're trying to embarrass you out there. They're trying to put up forty fifty on you every single game, and there's going to be an incentive to stop that. But realistically, they do have the pieces around Caleb Williams, from Colston Lovelin to Luther Burton, roma Dunze, all these receivers.
Speaker 2: Put so much greatest offense in NFL history.
Speaker 6: Wow, Ok, yeah in the run the run game too, I mean it's I can't blame Ben Johnson for shooting for such a high goal. Although from where they were a year ago to where they are now, you can see it more clearly how they'll be able to get there because they're going to have to score a lot of points to win games given some of the injuries they have on defense.
Speaker 2: You mentioned bullets material, Well, that's what it was. And the three teams in the division, this may be the best division in football. Do you feel that. I think the North is And now give me the pecking order here as we approached the end of August.
Speaker 6: So i'd probably I know the Bears and you talk about those one score games, there's a place of regression that is a natural conversation landing point when you go from one year to the next. Can you win all of these games in the fourth quarter when you're down and there's two minutes left and you're go into overtime. We saw it with the Chiefs last year. That is an area that quickly sees a drop off that you don't just get to carry that year to year. But I still put them as the second best team right now entering the twenty twenty sixth season because there's a lot that has to be accounted for on defense. The offense is going to have to score a lot of points, and I think they can. But I'd go Green Bay Chicago. I moved Detroit to third because they have so some significant injuries along the offensive line. Their center just has a hand injury that's pretty significant. They've had a lot of moving parts up there. It's not something that I expect to make them a four or five six win team. I still think they're team that could end up being a wild card team, but I am not convinced that just because they bring in a new offensive coordinator and they've got some of the same pieces, namely the quarterback and the wide receivers there, that this is not going to be an offense that deals with some more attrition. But then behind them is Minnesota. I don't think JJ McCarthy or Kyler Murray. There were not really any rave reviews consistently about either of them. This to me felt like the obvious answer in going with Murray. So until we see if the reclamation project can work on another quarterback, I've got my doubts about that Minnesota Vikings team.
Speaker 2: Which Bear is ready for the breakout? Who are we not talking about enough?
Speaker 6: Luther Burden. He is a spark plug to this offense and he's got the swagger. I guess what the kids would call aura to back it up. The way that he plays in practices is the way that you see him play in games, and he started to come on last year, just like big explosive games can get away from defenders. Will you know, add so much to a passing offense that already has so many weapons, And what the Bears hope for with this offense is that they don't have to say that guy is wide receiver one, that guy is going to have the most receiving yards every single week, because one week it could be Colston Lovelin, one week it could be Roma Dune, say Luther Burden. I mean, we saw the mix of that last year, but I really think in his second year that Burden, who by all accounts should have been a first round pick, will let that first round talent show very early in his second.
Speaker 2: Season, and that just elevates Caleb Williams. Yeah, and is there one thing you're looking for with Caleb Williams right now to say this is the jump he needs to really get to that next level. And what do you think that next level can be? What is this ceiling?
Speaker 6: The things you want to see from him are not the spectacular plays, because you know those are coming. You know when he puts that superman KP on fourth quarter, two minute drill, hurry up, whatever it is, game on the line situation, he's going to come through. As boring as this sounds, I want to see him do the simple, really really well, do less. That was how quarterback their quarterbacks coach JT. Barrett phrased it. This offseason. If you have a moment where you can just take the checkdown instead of dropping back, evading pressure, scrambling around to get the same ten yard gain that you could get on a much easier pass, then go the path of least resistance. Don't make it harder on yourself. He's the best clutch quarterback that we saw last season bar none. I mean, they had seven wins when they were down, including the playoffs in that game against Green Bay where they're trailing in the fourth quarter or overtime, and they win those games. So that's a big part of who the quarterback is. He doesn't get the Madden cover if he's not doing the fourth and eighth throw to Romadunze or running backwards and then throwing the pass to cole Kmet to keep this team alive and go to overtime against the Rams. We know he can do that. What you want to see is can he be a complete quarterback? Can you do those things earlier in games too? Because they kept it interesting. They want to be boring. They want to be a team that, yes, boats up a lot of points, but it's not coming down to the final moments of the game. Do it in the first half, set yourself up for success by getting out to an earlier lead, so you're not constantly having to be in panic and ketchup mode.
Speaker 2: But we're friends. I could put you on the spot here, give you the number. If he had just that dial, HiT's his ceiling? What is his number in the NFL Quarterback Power Rankings Coron in.
Speaker 6: Edition, Top top six, top seven quarterback. I think most people will have him in that ten eleven, twelve range right now, which is totally fair. But he starts to adjust that dial, and I don't even think if you're looking for like a specific number. Should he hit four thousand yards? He came close last year. I know the Bears have never had a four thousand yard passer. It is a major milestone that he himself wants to achieve. But if he hits the benchmarks of doing less and doing less really well on top of all the great things that he does, is such an explosive playmaker, then he's one of the top quarterbacks in the league. I'd say, you know, six or seven is a very fair place to put Caleb Williams.
Speaker 2: All right, last question here to get you on this. We just saw something incredible in Chicago Pope power with the Chicago White Sox, with the Pope Pat Knight that took over the stadium. Can I impart to you the benefits of power for the Bear season what that might look like? Maybe you have a suggestion here, but you have He had to be a Bears fan, right, so he was in order to capture that. What are the Bears the a confessional handshake of peace as their touchdown celebration or defensive celebration. I'm just growing some stuff out here, think about pup power.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the Ambassador to the Vatican, by way of Caleb Williams Foundation, back in July, I brought a Caleb Williams signed jersey to the Vatican to hand to Pop Leo, which I'm sure made him very happy. He has a lot of White Sox memorabilia. I know that the Bulls gave him a jersey as well, But to get that Caleb Williams jersey, it's at it's a hot commodity.
Speaker 2: It's a hot commodity right now.
Speaker 6: I don't know if the Pope's aware of just like how much people would want that. But you know, there's one football team in Chicago. Yeah, it's not like there's two baseball teams like, if you can be ordained by the Pope, unlet the Chicago Cubs, you probably have on the outsider.
Speaker 2: Yeah, White Sox have three straight hundred lost seasons. They're in first place right now. If they were to do that, that would be the first in the history of baseball to ever do that. Why because of the Pope. Now the Bears next thing, you know, four thousand yard seasons for everything. Pope power. I had some Cordy crote In power. This is why she had a thirty three percent win percentage and around the horns. And that's this is why. Thank you Courtney so much for being here for me today.
Speaker 6: Thanks for having me. This was fun. This is fun, and I'm glad that my winning percentage stands in history.
Speaker 2: Yes, it nowhere.
Speaker 6: It's top ten somewhere like Aayler Williams. I'm top ten in something.
Speaker 2: Say hello to your brother and mother for me. All right, Thank you Cordy Crotin. Now she is.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live, Listen to my voice. This is what happens when you're about to meet your ear.
Speaker 2: I am cracking right now. Our three of the Dan Patrick Show. I'm sitting in for Dan who's about to walk his daughter down the aisle. That's a beautiful thing. And I am here for two days. Some man cave sits and defined folks here. Paulie Fritzy, Dylan Marvin and everybody have given me a gift, an opportunity to talk to my hero growing up. And thank you for that. Guys. I don't even understand how this came to be, but now I have to be professional with a cracked voice and say, Dave Winfield, my name is Anthony Joseph Paul really, and I am pleasure. Is my pleasure to meet you.
Speaker 4: DONI how you doing?
Speaker 2: There's a voice? Okay, ladies and gentlemen. Dave Winfield twelve times and Major League Baseball All Star Hall of Famer three thousand hits, four hundred and sixty five home runs, author of a book which I want to talk about and see if I can ask you if it hasn't been done yet, please you have to do the audio reading of your book, okay, because your voice, your voice, you did there we go? Thank you, David. Your voice is actually important to me in the origin story of me Anthony. Really, I loved you as a player. You were big, strong, and everything athletic. I was little, small, and I didn't grow until I was nineteen years old. I had a squeaky voice and glasses as I was Anthony really talking about the Yankees, and that's what I would do with a Fisher Price microphone in front of the game every day, as Phil Rizuta was calling the game and Bill White were calling the game, and you were there. You were the opposite of me. You were big strong. I heard your voice for the first time in a postgame interview and I said, that's what a man sounds like. And I say that and I had my dad and my grandparents in my life and they have beautiful voices too. But thank you. Thank you. Sometimes with heroes, of course, they never know the impact that they have on people. Now have a chance to tell you that. I want to tell you that you showed me the opposite side of it, and that helps me grow up to the man I am today. There's Tony.
Speaker 4: I appreciate. I appreciate hearing that.
Speaker 7: Really, you know, I've been fortunate in life, blessed that I was able to do something for a career and a life that I always dreamed about doing. And you know, not only just as a player, but I guess maybe it was where I come from, my hometown, my family upbringing. The career was about doing things for other folks, to service to others. It wasn't just about me. I mean, I wanted to reach my potential and I always knew that. You know, if I hit two ten or two twenty, ain't nobody listen.
Speaker 2: Well maybe now, Dave, Dave, that would be enough to enough to get you through an All Star appearance now to twenty.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, But I did have the career even more than I ever dreamed of. And as you say, as you see we're talking talking here today where we do mention my book, Man, I have an interesting life, and I never really shared all of the intimate stories and things that make up my life. People think they know it, people in New York because that was in the headlines all the time, and there was conflicts with George Steinberner and that time. But I cover those kinds of things, and I'm going to take you behind the curtain, you know, into the rooms for all the intimate discussions were had, and we were we'd square off in the squared circle and do what.
Speaker 4: We had to do.
Speaker 2: I was always with you, Dave. I was on your side no matter I appreciate it. The book is Touching All the Bases, A story of power, purpose and Surviving The Bronx by Dave Winfielden's released September fifteenth. Wherever you get books. You said something, Dave, that is my code in life. We are sympotical on this. You want to feel better about yourself, do something for other people. And how you have had an opportunity through your skill as a baseball player, through your literal voice as a man now who has been through things in life and wants to share and make the road easier for other people. That's so admirable and I adore that in anybody. Now. To know that my hero does that makes my life feel even more full circle. Can you take me back to the eighties with the I didn't know you in the seventies with the pods, and at that point you had already proven yourself to be one of the great athletes in the game. But the eighties in New York, for me the coverage around you, and I was firmly on your side, But I never understood why it was so conflicted as a young man. What was that.
Speaker 7: The guy I worked for who on the team the Yankees, was just a mercurial type of guy who was used to running the show and bullying people. You know, when I do I mentioned this, Look, there's some tough things that I had topics that I cover here. I but it's also it's not about me ripping somebody a new backside, because there's a lot of things about redemption in here, and you know, discussions that we've had beyond what you saw in the newspapers.
Speaker 4: But George Steinbern and he just.
Speaker 7: He told me early on basically, I'm not going to respect the contract that we have and if you don't like it, sue me.
Speaker 4: I can't.
Speaker 7: I can't. I'm going to give it to you, just straight up. And that's a month into it, And so I had to live with the consequences and the things for almost ten years after that. So it was a kind of a toxic, very toxic workplace. Every day I went to work hard, to believe, really putting up those numbers, and people always ask me Dave, how did you survive? How did you thrive? Why did you stay? What enabled you to stay and ultimately become the player that you were? You know you set out to be. So I cover a lot of ground in this, but overall, I'll just say this. My book will cover sports, business, philanthropy, family and community. So I'm touching all the bases and I think it's going to be inspiring, motivational, celebratory, and I look forward to it being on the market.
Speaker 2: Dave Winfield joining us on the Dan Patrick Show. I'm Tony really sitting in for Dan for the day. This was a surprise. Dave was by childhood hero and as I'm learning now and I can't read, wait to read the book my current hero too, as he's talking about self growth and redemption and doing things for other people. Dave twelve time All Star Fun questions. How come you couldn't keep the bat in your hands when you were swinging?
Speaker 7: Man? I tried to knock the cover off the ball every time if it was human out.
Speaker 2: But punts hard didn't exist for you, you know.
Speaker 7: Look, Tony, I might have the record for heaving that bat pretty far.
Speaker 4: It could get in the lift.
Speaker 7: I one time accidentally threw it, passed the picture, it landed into short center field. Yeah, yeah, you know that was my swing man.
Speaker 4: I'm trying to, like I say, knock the cover off the ball.
Speaker 7: Uh, take an extra base in someone's face, slide hard, get dirty out there, That's what I mean. Not dirty as a player, but dirty dirty.
Speaker 2: Get the uniform dirty, give him a reason to clean it. That's why. Another reason why I was drawn to you, the athlete that you were, that you had played college basketball and college baseball, That you were drafted. This is a famous story, Dave. How many sports were you drafted into professional leagues?
Speaker 4: Drafted in three professional sports?
Speaker 7: That of course, the NBA, the ABA, Major League Baseball, and the NFL. The Vikings, my hometown drafted me. Thought I could be a tight end catch some passes from fran Tarkenton.
Speaker 2: And that would work. I could see that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, I could see that. But I'd probably be like this today.
Speaker 2: Yeah I do over though, Would you do another one? Would you consider it? Today's era could allow for you to play a little bit longer both.
Speaker 7: Well, no, no, I would have still played baseball. That was my love. When I grew up. My brother Steve and I you know, he would we would go to bed at night and he would think of making the greatest catch ever and majorly you know, you sketch over the show.
Speaker 4: He could do that. At twelve thirteen years old.
Speaker 2: I saw you do that.
Speaker 7: Dave.
Speaker 2: You made one of the greatest sketches of my life in left field. You were playing left field that day for the Yankees. You know the one I'm talking about, of course.
Speaker 4: Yeah, when I was stuck in the wall.
Speaker 2: He's stuck in the wall. Your head was in and then somebody's lap apparently, you know, is amazing your arm, Dave. Now this is just going to turn into a Chris Farley as an l bit where I'm just like, do you have an arm? Dave, tell me about your arm. You had one of the best arms. I used to have fights with people. Bill Dave Parker, Dave Parker, I love him, great, nice beautiful eyes. Yeah, my man is Dave went Field with the arm.
Speaker 7: You know. I always had a good arm growing up, and it was probably from throwing all the rocks in the neighborhood.
Speaker 4: Anything that moved racked damn, you know, but I was a picture.
Speaker 7: Most people don't know that I was a picture throughout my entire life, all the way through college, and then I don't go to the.
Speaker 4: Minor legs and they say, Dave, play the.
Speaker 7: Outfield, we want you to hit. Think about that. We've uh so otani.
Speaker 2: Yes, Dave, that's where I wanted to go.
Speaker 7: Dude, he's doing to the great extent when I was doing for a few years all the way through.
Speaker 2: Could you have done that in Major League baseball?
Speaker 7: I think I could have. I know I could have done both. I could have pitched or hit. What he's doing is so phenomenal. It's you know who can say. I mean, it's never been seen before what he's doing. But I did both of those all the way, you know, growing up through high school through college, and did both.
Speaker 4: I was an MVP of the College World Series.
Speaker 2: I know, Dave, yes, when.
Speaker 7: We were eliminated, all of a sudden, I'll go to left field. Played left field. No honor league experience.
Speaker 2: I understand you have a documentary in the works as well, but the name of the book, Touching All the Bases, a story of power, purpose and surviving the Bronx, they wouldn't feel the author The Hall of Famer September fifteenth, is when it will be available. You've got an opportunity to play in the World Series later in your career, and that's of course wonderful moment. What do you appreciate Do you appreciate it more? Maybe that you got it in your later stage.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well listen, Tony real quick. The first World Series I was all prepared for, but it didn't work out with the Yankees.
Speaker 4: The Dodgers beat us in eighty one.
Speaker 7: It took me to nineteen ninety two in Toronto to be able to win at all. And then my very last year in ninety five, I tore a rotator cuff and I was unable to play in the World Series when Cleveland played Atlanta and Atlanta won their first.
Speaker 4: So I won one, lost.
Speaker 7: One, and was injured for But just to have that experience, that's the way you endo practice every day of growing up. Men on base game on the line. You know it's for all the money or whatever the case may be. And then you end up with a hit and then you go home and you're happy. You don't go home happy if you, oh I swung in best, I struck out the bats, stuck up on your backside, you know.
Speaker 2: So look at the smile of my hero here too. I mean you talked about the voice, you never fixed the teeth. I loved that about you too, you see. I mean that's just the gaff between the teeth and everything. There's a thing about meeting your hero or talking to your hero. You get a chance to tell them what they mean to you, you know. And I do a thing with my kids, Dave. You know who helped you today and who did you help?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 2: You end the day with like so you don't ask them how was your day? You asked them who helped you today? And who did you help? You helped me today. By a period of the show, you had no business here, to be honest, you're surprised me and you helped me, like I told you, because you showed me what the height of sports was, and I was a man who wanted to do sports, or at least talk about sports. Who was your hero?
Speaker 7: It would truly be. It would start with my family, my mother, my brother, and myself. We didn't have much. My parents were divorced when I was young, so I appreciate everything she poured into us. And I of course I had a great couple of coaches as young people. As a young man, I will give this guy named Bill Peterson a great he's still alive today. He helped me, He helped Paul Molitor to another Hall of Famer. But I'm gonna I'll tell you this, the Parks and rec Department in Minnesota was great, and Saint Paul was great. But as far as who I helped, all the guys you see today that have foundations at subsequent to I was the first in all sports to create a nonprofit operating foundation. Five O one C three Derek Jeter, who's having his thirtieth annual dinner on the tenth in New York.
Speaker 4: They're going to honor me.
Speaker 7: Derek Jeter is one of the guys that I influenced who wanted to be a Yankee and who wanted to have a foundation.
Speaker 4: So we're very good friend. You never know.
Speaker 2: You never know, And that's the wonderful thing when you lead by example like the way you do, or when you share your story. And that's precisely what you did in the book Touching All the Bases, a story of power, purpose and surviving the Bronx. I'm gonna love it for the baseball. I'm gonna love it for the self growth, I think, is how I would describe I'm not saying it in your words, and how you talked about learning and leaning into philanthropy. I'm gonna enjoy that part in the business sense. The book comes out September fifteenth, Dave, it's been outstanding. Havening you here. We have one more.
Speaker 8: Thing, PAULI, mister Winfield, just from us guys. Here today is the four the anniversary August fourteenth, nineteen ninety one of you hitting home run number four hundred when you're with the Angels.
Speaker 2: I was with California. Yeah, yah, I remember, Yeah, it wasn't with the Yankees. I wanted four hundred for you and the Yankees. You had the back issue in eighty nine. And then the trade, which was just I mean, I mean Mike Witt was the picture. I believe Trade four Yeah.
Speaker 4: First trading history for me.
Speaker 2: In my house, it was for me. I would read this is back when we read newspapers every day. I'm still young to see what you had done with the Angels, and most of those games weren't in time for the paper. And then I would always try to make sure you know, like when you hit a home run, you fill out the whole line. You know, four lines. I was looking for those four lines and I think twenty five home runs that year with California, California.
Speaker 7: You know, I do have to say it was good that I was able to leave the Angel.
Speaker 2: I think so too.
Speaker 4: A lot in the tank.
Speaker 7: And I say this from the standpoint that same year I was traded or accepted a trade, I was comeback.
Speaker 4: Player of the year.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 7: Yeah, when I go to Toronto, I win a world champion, made it possible. And now go to Minnesota, I get three thousand hits and so it enabled me to get out from under this cloud and fulfill my dash the place.
Speaker 2: You needed that, and that is a story. I'm living through this right now. Sometimes you have to go through that and it's a wonderful And I just remember that that hit you had with Toronto. You can hit any pitch. Your exit of philosophy would be John Carlos Stanton right now. But that was a ball that was getting away. But you did anything to put the bat and the ball hit that double down the line. Dave Winfeld, thank you very much.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you've put that hockey stick out there.
Speaker 8: And the last thing, mister Winfield, Tony's not going to ask, but do you have an autograph book for Tony coming this way?
Speaker 2: Oh, we don't have to do that.
Speaker 4: I'll go to his house and well, look you, I'll sign this one and.
Speaker 2: You hop me up. You know a guy. Thank you very much, Dave. You broke my voice here, my voice. Thank you did it? Dave Winfield everyone, Baseball Hall of Famer, twelve time all author book comes out in September, and my surprise for working here for two days, you guys give me. Thanks for coming on, Dave, all right man, thank voice