Speaker 1: What up, y'all? This is your main man, Memphis Bleek right here. Welcome to rock Solid, a production of iHeart Radio and the Black Effect Network in partnership with my guys over at Drink Champs. You should nobody know. You shouldn't nobody know? Yeah, y'all, you already know what it is. Yours truly M Greezy myth bleak back with another exclusive episode of Rock Solid.
Speaker 2: And I got one of my guys right here.
Speaker 1: I mean when I started this shit, it's one of the first guys who interviewed me. So it's an honor for me to interview him. He was the voice of New York. I watched this guy set Blaze is in many different trails in this game. So to be sitting here kicking it with him finding out what's the latest trail he blazing right now, it's an honor.
Speaker 2: Let's welcome my god Sight for Sounds to the building. What's up, my guy?
Speaker 1: So much? How you've been bro, I've been great, healthy, alive.
Speaker 2: That hard right man.
Speaker 3: Before you even start with me, I don't give a ship about any of that. I want to say. Here's my intro. I've been trying to call this guy. For a while I had an old number. I want to tell you we.
Speaker 2: Had the rapper number. This is a journalist number. Did you did?
Speaker 3: I want to tell you, bro, of all these people jumping into this world, you are one of the endless to do it. And not only that, your personality has already always fit this world. Is the technology and the media caught up to what you already how you've been, the reason why you're so good on this is the reason why we love you. And it just happened to just work out perfectly, the timing and what you're doing and the stories you.
Speaker 2: Got out here. And it's no negative energy.
Speaker 1: You ain't. That's what I'm saying. Doing that, it's an honor for me to be here. Man, than appreciate it, man, shout out by God nor because if it wasn't for n O R I would not be doing it. Right. He saw this, I didn't right, you know what I mean? So I got to give all the credit I didn't believe. But Yo, let's get to my guy, man, because a lot of people know you from Hot ninety seven. Let's start before I know you as Kim DJ right right, who was little Kim djety seven?
Speaker 3: Yeah, my first job in the industry. Yeah, so let's talk about that. How did you get that star that queen big? I mean, I think I just was a very reliable young DJ in the game, opening up at the tunnel for Funk Flax and all those people. And then the woman remember Jessica, I used to run a tunnel. She was very cool with all of the classic Kim and Biggie people.
Speaker 2: So you know, Kim was going.
Speaker 3: Kim was basically leave, not leaving Junior Marfy, but doing her solo runners.
Speaker 2: And they needed a d for.
Speaker 3: Her because enough was Biggist DJ and then Junior Mafia kind of just whatever whoever Biggies DJ was, so she needed her own and I got plugged in and I was getting in her first promo run ninety six, three hundred dollars.
Speaker 2: A week a week, not a show a week, nigga a week. Yo, Kim was pocketing in that bag.
Speaker 3: And to this day, to this day, and I never pick it up in a disrespectful way, but Kim on Jacob, y'all, motherfucker's still owe me per diem from.
Speaker 1: All those shows, yo, yo deal yo bringing up for diem. You know I didn't have a clue what she meant until I it took a hard knocked life to all when she was like, niggas can't eat without per deal. To me, that was just a cool line. Yeah, until I really couldn't eat until that per deal. Yo, That shit was important. I think it was thirty five a day, yo. Y'all was doing good. Hope was looking out for They was getting us two seventy five a week. Hard.
Speaker 2: They gotta get two seventy five a week there for shows.
Speaker 1: Yeah that was bad, yo, that's crazy. But it was promo time, right, and promo is usually free. Yeah, she wasn't getting no monchy. She was on the road doing all these little radio station shows and oh so she was just even paying you off promo run Yeah oh no, kim my bad. She wasn't pocketing a that. No, no, no, no, no, he's a good one. Because it's halfway. That's probably why my DJ left. He never got paid for prom I ain't get paid.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I got paid for promo.
Speaker 3: We got but halfway through when she started getting money and still say three hundred a week, I was like, don't wait, should go up?
Speaker 2: Because yo went up? Oh my god, that's crazy. That's the good.
Speaker 1: So the little Kim play and all that, that's how it led into Hot ninety seven. How did that come about? No?
Speaker 3: How ninety seven was through the Tunnel and funk Master Flex. So Kim was like, I was lucky because him would be working Wednesday through Saturday whatever, and the tunnel was Sunday nights, so I could get home and still do the tunnel.
Speaker 1: Yo, how was you back there? What?
Speaker 2: Eighteen not twenty nineteen? Twenty? Different?
Speaker 1: Wild, bro, Like, I haven't been to a club like that still to this day. Never I'm thinking it'll ever be. But that was one of a kind.
Speaker 3: And the nights you were in there, I got tapes, Bro, I got nobody had cameras back then.
Speaker 1: The Choke no joke and mist excitement who he got his own issues.
Speaker 2: Yeah, choke even fighting for his tapes.
Speaker 1: I ain't mad at these dudes. Man, It's history. And it's like, you got to pay that ball.
Speaker 3: Whoever owns the camera technically owns a tench to make sure you make an agreement with this guy, whoever your guy is.
Speaker 2: Because he looked.
Speaker 1: Fishy, he couldn't look at you, he couldn't even get up in the freight, so we ain't worry about him.
Speaker 2: He ain't even figured out the freight problem.
Speaker 3: Bro, I had a little camp quarder and I got I still got. I'm looking for an adapter now so I could transfer the I got the old tapes and the old camera. I gotta transfer to digital.
Speaker 1: You need Yoda guru, tell him what you got here? I got that.
Speaker 3: So the Tunnel Nightclub was like the illest club in New York City. It was like the music and culture. It was the purest of purest street ship. It could possibly be if you wanted to know if you had the streets, the streets, we had to go to the tunnel. This sh it wasn't popping in the tunnel.
Speaker 1: You did not have the street right at all.
Speaker 3: Right, you might have the bougie, you might have the mainstream, but the streets.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: So I was in there as a young buck, and I was bro.
Speaker 3: I had to play early because what happened in the tunnel was they used to DJ. They used to have first five hundred girls free. I remember that.
Speaker 1: But it was like from up to eleven o'clock.
Speaker 3: So I had to DJ at like nine o'clock with four hundred girls.
Speaker 1: That got in for free holes three thousand, yup, and that's when they start charging us eleven hundred to get in year. There's four hundred girls in there free free, so that I was I played for.
Speaker 3: So I was the man with the R and B because you know, I was playing for just girls until like midnight.
Speaker 2: So then and then DJ Big Cap would get on, resting piece and piece Big Cap.
Speaker 3: Then I would get back on, play a half hour reggae, and then Flex would get on and the night would explode.
Speaker 2: Before I let you finish. I just realized something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, as a kid, I always wondered how the hell bad Boy had so much pulled with Hot ninety seven. All of y'all was their DJs. Big Cat DJ for Biggie, Enough DJ for Junior, Mafia, DJ for Hot Night for litlu Kim. This is why they records played all day y'all. This is why y'all had no slack time. We finally cracked the code, you know, Puffs said one time.
Speaker 3: Puff said to us all the DJs, he was like, he's like, I took every one of your bad Boy records out of your create right now, could you do a party tonight?
Speaker 1: And we was like this is like ninety eight. We was like, be good, but it won't be good.
Speaker 2: But it won't be good.
Speaker 3: You tell me no biggie, no flavoring in your ear, no total, no faith, no whatever, nothing damn.
Speaker 1: And we were like, some of these records still play today, man, come on one twelve today, you still playing these records today?
Speaker 3: As a DJ, Right, Let's say if I go to let's say I'm gonna go play a country party. Let's say I get hired to do some weird country shit. Right, I'll call up a DJ that knows country music, and I'll say to him, what's the Benjamins of country? That's our guideline, What's the Benjamins of reggae? What's the Benjamin's of house? Give me ten of those, because to us, the Benjamins is the record that it tells you the top record of a of a certain genre that makes sense.
Speaker 2: I get that.
Speaker 1: I get that man from the BX Man as a Bronx kid coming up the mixtape era. Like what DJs would you say you got your influence from or study before you got in the game.
Speaker 3: There's a lot I used to like, Douop is my favorite man, that's my guy do I got all his tapes not to go on from you.
Speaker 1: You know, he got all his mixtapes ever made as an archive where you could buy it as a download.
Speaker 2: He got a flash shot you inted at them do Wop tapes.
Speaker 3: He got it develop the illness and the reason why I love Douop is the you know, the the music everybody had and that was great. Craig G was great, ron G chill Will, but Douop had the illis Mike game and he corrapt so to me, he was like everything. His tapes were the best to me. But like, yeah, I get but really I wanted to be a producer first. So yeah, so my influence is Premiere, Pete Rock, Clark Kent, those guys. I thought you had to DJ to be a producer because they were all DJs.
Speaker 1: I didn't know. I was young, so I was like, oh, let me, let me learn how.
Speaker 3: The DJ DJ word DJs that's how you get you know, how you know to make certain club bangers. So I was following. I thought you had to learn how to DJ to be a producer. I didn't want to do parties until.
Speaker 2: I got older.
Speaker 3: I just thought like, all right, so you have to scratch on your beat, so I have to learn how to scratch. I didn't know about parties yet I tried that. I didn't know you had to be light handed to be a d you're heavy handed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, shit was.
Speaker 1: Bad breaking member. These kids don't even got to worry about needles breaking. NI could throw it in their little Sarado, they little machine. They don't know that even though it state member, you had real DJ, you did them shows. You used to have to tell stop jumping on the stage. You making the record skip like you wanted them DJs, you probably had to put the coin on the joint. On these, you taped it, tape the corner on the needle, yo, so it won't skip. These is the things these young rappers today will never ever experience. And I feel like that's what takes away from a lot of the talent. Agree to disagree or disagree like because I feel like back then, you had to go on the fly, like as a DJ in the MC, if you would throw on the break beat, I just start rhyming. Or if we had a show the record skip, there is no yo. Started from the beginning. To bring that back, we had to catch it on time.
Speaker 2: To catch it right there, like.
Speaker 1: What part of skip to? Okay, we're right here now. I don't think these kids will be able to sty the problem now with technologies that's too easy, yes, and I'm not not.
Speaker 2: I use a lot of the stuff to make it easier.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love it, but they it seems like the kids nowadays. And I don't like talking bad about kids. It seems like the kids nowadays don't even try to look back to see what it were, like y'all old, y'all cook, y'all corny, y'all bulls. And I'm like, yeah, but that's where you get the talent from them.
Speaker 1: You heard the little homie just saying what is the hip? The hard? That all that was whacked? Like? What was my man name? Who just said that? Man?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: YACHTI that's he tried to ship on the old scrappers Delight? How can you that's blasphemy. They should take his rap card for that. That's bad, fathers. I don't play.
Speaker 3: Rappers Delight every day in my car, but I would it, Like we wouldn't be here if it wasn't for that.
Speaker 1: That's a fact, none of us would be here today. He wouldn't even be having this conversation if it wasn't for that record with millions. You have millions, Like it's impossible to say that. Like, I get it. A lot of these kids music don't resonate with us. It might not be for us, but my son, like the kids, it resonate with them because you can't. I love my son, this is my god. I raised him to the care but I cannot tell him that what's the homie that got the baby by eighty years there? I'm bad with these new niggas to him.
Speaker 2: Playboy CARDI killing hole.
Speaker 1: He like what Playboy Cardi the best? But I can't tell him he ain't. That's his eerror, right. I just I just hate he respect the old school. He's not gonna sit there and tell me. Yeah, but run DMC was whack dad. He know we fighting. That's when I'm really see if you're a man now, Surety.
Speaker 2: I'm fucking you up.
Speaker 1: The word up. So radio once dictated what I feel like. You know, people say it broke what went on in New York, but New York dictated what was the world.
Speaker 2: Ninety seven was the key to everything.
Speaker 1: Whatever broke on High ninety seven, everything went everywhere else how you feel.
Speaker 3: It changed with the streaming and everything. Even before that, it changed with it changed with multi disc CD changes in your car because you complainly not just one city, you could go through a bunch And then it went to MP three's and now streaming, so a lot of the tension went away from radio. But here's the thing about radio though. Radio was never for people like us who are like really really into the music and into the culture, because we would go find our ways to find other music.
Speaker 2: Anyway.
Speaker 3: Radio is more of a passive listen to people who kind of just like listening to music on the way to work and on the way to the store.
Speaker 2: So for them, radio still rocks.
Speaker 1: He's still.
Speaker 3: Like when when real underground hip hop people used to yell at me.
Speaker 1: Like, Yo, why are you not playing that?
Speaker 2: I'm like, bro, Radio's not for that.
Speaker 3: You're underground, and I always try to mix it in where I can. Yes, but underground is a thing. You love it so much. I also love it so much. But I have a corporate obligation and.
Speaker 2: Order for me to keep my job.
Speaker 3: In order for me, who is an underground backpack nerd hip hop guy, I gotta play eight nine, ten mainstream records, so I could sneak in my most death, so I can sneak in that Pharrol manch sneaking Big l in between job Rule and Memphis Bleak.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean.
Speaker 2: And that's how we did it. I wasn't mainstream always to New York.
Speaker 1: He was sometimes, you know, in a mix, sometimes a lot of y'all. Listen, I love my New York City DJs. I'm never gonna shit on you. I don't take nothing personal because it was all rap. It was a career like it don't matter if we worked in fucking food and beverage.
Speaker 2: You might not have took some of my deliveries this day.
Speaker 1: It don't matter.
Speaker 2: So I look at it the same way. It's not it's nothing personal.
Speaker 1: It's the job.
Speaker 2: But a lot of y'all from hot for the for the ones.
Speaker 1: That I say didn't look out, the ones that did outweigh that when they come down to you, mister c rest in peace sonny uh dj Envy. When he was over there, fucking Flex looked out when he wanted to. We wanted to sometimes FLEXI give me that. Really, I ain't fucking with your man right now. I caught a lot of that and Hope where Hope said, they don't play my hits, so I'll if I'll play they show I don't give a ship to him.
Speaker 2: He did.
Speaker 1: I did, because they'll be like, Okay, they don't care, we ain't playing hits, so we're gonna stop bleaking bean shit. So that's the But we caught him that so I couldn't take a lot of shit personal with people. Nah, you can't enough? Is my guy off off music like man the man. I love him DJ Nothing. I don't fuck with him really, I love him though as a brother like.
Speaker 2: Man Nothing wasn't playing your shit back then.
Speaker 1: Nigga, let me tell you a story about E.
Speaker 2: I tore him for listen.
Speaker 1: Like that Swiss beats like that, calls me bleak, I got it, I got the record. I'm like, what you got it? I'm on my way. Wait, Guru up We in baseline wake grew ups. Three o'clock in the morning. We go down there the Swiss studio. Who in the studio with him? Enough enough? The first person say to me, nah, bleak this that joint right here that means crazy. So I'm like, allright, what record is he? Swiss?
Speaker 2: Play it?
Speaker 1: Like that, tell me if it's like that, it's like that. Enough sat there like as if excuse me. Remember you know my crew, you know b I. You remember Murder, Leaky Proof, all of them. He sat there with me like he was one of them. Why, I'm right in the rhymes. Yeah that's it, Yo, eat what you think? Yeah, bleek, that's it? Did the record? He like, Yo, I'm telling you, Blair, I said, go play that for j when played it for j J? Like that's the single? Were putting that out? Eve there, I got you bleak, We're gonna run. I ain't play the record one.
Speaker 2: No, that's not.
Speaker 1: I can't mind me. He ain't playing the record once. Why? I don't know. I never ever asked him me either. You know I see him and never say yo, bro Yo, you walked me off the plank in New York City, left me off.
Speaker 2: You gotta bring him up here.
Speaker 1: I got to I want to. I'm mad and went the way it went because then now people think I'm an interviewer for that, But nah, I need answers back in the day, because that's why I like that ain't get played and you helped me make it. He probably gave me a bar. Probably ain't give him no pub that's why you think that was it? Nah, Maybe I don't know. That's a weird one because with me the whole time, Bro and never play, I record got more play in Africa than it did in New York City. I guarantee you. Maybe it had to be something political. No, my g what made you like you was one of the first that did this podcast thing? Wan Epstein, like you was doing this shit back in the day, like the first one to do it. What made you pivot from radio into that? And it wasn't a pivot.
Speaker 3: But first of all, I just I don't I hate to be like an ass on and correct you on your own show. We were the first, Yeah, you said, one of the first.
Speaker 2: There is one. There's number one.
Speaker 1: Okay, my bad, my bad, My basting podcast the first hip hop podcast ever.
Speaker 3: I didn't know nothing about podcasts. They made me get the morning show with Rosenberg. Yes, I remember, never met the guy. Ebro put us together. He said, I think y'all would be good on the morning show. I said, before we start going on the mornings, let's just go in this back room right here and just talk to each other and record it. And see how we sound together, See how we could you know, make sure we click chemistry. And he said, oh, we should record it and make it a podcast. And this is the early days of part There was only like news podcasts right like podcast pod comes from iPod, so it was like something for the iPod. So I didn't even know that, Yeah, that's why podcast. It's the iPod. So we recorded it and he would put it out and people would come up like nerds, like come come to me, like yo, I like the what you're doing with that guy, dude. So that's how we got our chemistry. So then we started doing the morning show. Never was it a pivot. Podcast didn't make no money then, nobody even knew how to. I was gonna ask you no money.
Speaker 1: One thing. As you about the monetization back then, there was none. There was done zero because it was.
Speaker 3: No YouTube yet YouTube started. YouTube just started putting podcasts recently. But what we got from it, the monotation wasn't money. It was the love right bro to this day and me and Rosenberg, we got our ins and outs all the time. But us two together, two hip hop nerds talking about hip hop with hip hop artists, because how we got all the artists is because they were coming to Hot ninety seven. And then we were saying he could do a favor after we do the radio interview, can we go back here and talk on our podcast a little more in depth? And Bro, we got everybody and they told us the illess, illess, illless stories. To this day, I watched Nori, I watched Fat Joe, You everybody, there's still some stories that were told on one app that have not been told anywhere else.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: So them shits is stilled that takes this valuable.
Speaker 3: They're not video though, that's the only part audio, so we got to wait for the technology to make it, you know. But Bro, we had Snoop Dogg right after Nate dog died.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: He happened to be on a promo run for something else, and he came in the saddest person in the world, like he just lost.
Speaker 1: Never seen Snoop like that.
Speaker 3: It was the wildst shit I ever saw. And we're like, yo, can we talk to you in the back and he was like and like you, we just want to ask you, you know, if you're feeling right. He talked to us, Bro.
Speaker 2: It got him out of this. He said, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: You got me out of my fucking depression.
Speaker 3: Because we were asking the thing about wandapp is we always asked about the music.
Speaker 1: Drama bro.
Speaker 2: We interviewed Kanye. Kim Kardashian was in the room.
Speaker 1: We didn't give a fuck. Yeah walking walking clip, bro, but anything walking anywhere else where she would be, everybody would be trying to We didn't get.
Speaker 3: We paid no, no disrespect, We paid no attention to her. We were asking him hip how come your drums and this song you try to sound like Dyla?
Speaker 1: He's like whoa?
Speaker 3: The same day, if you watched the clip when Kanye went on sway, you ain't got the answer. He left our show to go do that show, so he got the same clothes on.
Speaker 2: It's the same day and we just add nerd that nerd hip hop shit.
Speaker 3: So the love of the music and the culture is what kept going up alive for so many years. We never hit the jackpop money wise, but the love. I could see someone in the airport and the way they talk to me, I know they're one up fan, yo, bro, I see that with me doing this, Like people that come up to me now and say something, It's like, yo, you listen to podcast like no way, like you know who I am? Like my podcast is different, Like I don't think, no, how can I say this? Mail delivery service guy or transit service guy, police service guy, fire min service guy in.
Speaker 1: New York City. Don't tune into Rock Solid because everywhere I go they stopping me bleep. That episode was dancing it It's like, wow, you listen to this.
Speaker 2: You got great stories, you got great insight. You were there.
Speaker 3: That's the thing with you and with Nori was the best about y'alls Like you was you could tell shit about when you was there a backstage.
Speaker 2: Nah, that's a fact, Bro, I was there.
Speaker 1: I was trying, man, Like I watched you start, like I said, Little Kim to the Hot ninety seven, to the one app then the morning show takeover that y'ad was.
Speaker 2: The first ones doing.
Speaker 1: Wre you came on that show. I remember Ye before she got her deal. I remember angely ye Bro, when she first This was when the Shade forty five. It was just the one building in DC, I believe, and she just got her I guess it was her slot. She would just start her new show. And she said to me, they'll believe, it'll be dope if you give me a little interview real quick so I could get my name up. And I'm like, I got you. I think I was one of her first interviews. She gotta ad got to show me some love and let him know. I was the first. Like you said, it's no first of I was the first.
Speaker 3: It was the video where where a whole god was pun with punch Angela Yee.
Speaker 2: No, she not no ship.
Speaker 1: He punched angel way.
Speaker 2: He put that's what it looks like.
Speaker 1: That wasn't her in the video.
Speaker 2: There's a video where he looks like he's punching Angela yee. But her hair was on fire, yo, yo chill.
Speaker 1: She had the Michael Jackson Yo. God, I ain't never seen a video. So it's not a big video. It's like grainy. It looks like it looks like like Jay slap, yo chill.
Speaker 2: And then people like, yo, what's going on? And she was like, my hair was on fire. He was fuck yo, man.
Speaker 1: So but how did the morning show Shane forty five, like just doing radio and general change your whole ass? Like you said you wanted to be a producer and now it's DJ word. Yeah yeah, No.
Speaker 2: When once I got to High Night seven. My beats weren't that good, so.
Speaker 1: You never played the beat for me. So I gonestly say, you know, as a person, you know like this.
Speaker 2: One, ain't it? Let me chill beat.
Speaker 3: So when I learned radio, I was like all I said, Yo, I'm flex Funk mass the flexes. He's my mentor, I'm the mentee. I said, you know, he getting up there in age. He's gonna retire soon and then I'm gonna take his slot.
Speaker 1: And my whole.
Speaker 3: Career, my early career, was trying to get his slot. And then after a while I said, this thing ain't going nowhere.
Speaker 1: Changed my direction. Bro.
Speaker 2: I remember the day I looked at him, I said, he.
Speaker 1: Ain't going nowhere.
Speaker 3: I better get a personality and learn how to do mornings because that's the other most important slot and Angie had afternoons. Angie was There's no way I wouldn't even attempt to try to be like Angie. So I started working on my personality to get the morning show. And you know, after years of being in the industry, talking my ship, I was always funny to my friends in person. I was like, let me try to make that into this because I didn't know how to talk.
Speaker 1: I just wanted to DJ. But after a while I did.
Speaker 3: The morning Shawan Shade forty five and Hot ninety seven pulled me in back home and it just became like, is the greatest, the greatest moments of my life talking to actual New York people, going to work, going to school. That's the best part of it. The politics, the radio, all the shit. That's all bullshit. Talking to people and then you see those people out and they're like, Yo, you get me going every day, or you helped me with this. Are you your story about your aunt made me feel this? Like that's that was the key.
Speaker 1: That's dope, man, Because damn y'all even had Joe Button's up there doing the morning show, Joe bud before me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a little word up man. Yeah, they saw, they saw.
Speaker 3: What was making him popping out hot nice ever saw that back then?
Speaker 1: Word up man. They was the first they had everybody up there doing the morning show. But then, you know, a lot of people see you do the comedy, Yeah, but me I saw something before that, after High ninety seven, the pivot you did before comedy. A lot of people don't give you your props, man, Rihanna wouldn't be Rihanna if it wasn't for she got the talent. But you had the vision when rock Nation when Rockefeller was.
Speaker 2: Before rock Nation, it was not Rockefeller.
Speaker 1: It was Rockefeller, but he was the president of Death Jam Jam. But when rock Nation was being formed, you were the first A and R Yeah, HIREDT Yeah. I remember you had your own office. I was jealous, the motherfucker I the fuckxit forgot office and not the off the half word up.
Speaker 2: I used to come up there every day.
Speaker 1: And I remember when you first played me the record too ponder replay like this is it, bro, I'm out, this is it? We gone.
Speaker 3: I don't get a lot of credit. You know who gives me the most credit, Rihanna, And that's the one who's supposed to bro.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 3: She a real one, the realist her recently and she fucking yelled in the hallway.
Speaker 2: She's like, everybody respect this man.
Speaker 3: He put me on like I never I had When people say you made or discovered, I never discovered her. I broke her like I played the record before before she had a deal. I helped her get her deal at what was def Jam at the time. But I'm trying to show you something.
Speaker 1: Like yo, bro, and why not give my credit? But you know what else to It's always been funny to me about you, by Jake, I gotta honestly say, you the only Buerto Rican nigga who wear full fledged rodsklod bah bah we in the spot my massive video, his nigga was in more hood spots than me. I used to see the videos the next day and be like, that's safe for sales. DMJ gonna make some monster put your light to Zobi like Yo, this nigga is way more yarny than me. First of all, yes, for a lot.
Speaker 3: When I found the real dancehall reggae, I jumped there.
Speaker 1: You would. I never put the fake accent. But who is in there now saying you know it's natural? It's not you, bro, I'm not Caribbean at all. You here with me, take me down the Eastern Parkway in the Pere. If you in New York, mosself, if you, if you from.
Speaker 3: The hood in New York, you Audi part Caribbean automatic automatically, you have a sugar cane, you Caribbean. Look, this is the this is the note that jay Z gave me to be the an R.
Speaker 1: D. Bro.
Speaker 3: Dang, slim me this note, I'm gonna say, he said, he slim me this note. It says start at fifty K Senior vice president an R I said fine, no, no, I said, ho, you know I learned from you. I listened to all your music, listen to all your lessons. You know you never take the first off now, o g one. I said, Bro, you never take the first off of That's all we got.
Speaker 1: I said, fine, said I tried, I tried. I am not me neither not with them, Yo, they're the worst people to try to negotiate with because they know all the hustles, they know all the games. So it's like, why are you trying to spend me though? Bro?
Speaker 2: He said, that's all we got.
Speaker 3: I said, okay, fine, that's right, good, We're good.
Speaker 2: I don't give hope.
Speaker 3: Could have paid me zero to me an A and R at Rock. But I was known a little bit in the Crewan world. I helped Sean Paul get his deal damn right. So from that they and I had that group Nina sky I put them over so Reaganina sky Man was super dope too, bro. So when they came with Rihanna. They went to the guy who's known for breaking Caribbean music. So I went Bama heard it. I said, I like this one. Let's play this on the radio so that when you go shop for a deal, you already got some more men to them. So then the famous story of she went to death Gym and they wouldn't let her leave until they did the deal.
Speaker 1: I don't know where they got that story from. I oh, they act like she was there by herself.
Speaker 3: No, no, I know the way it sounds now that it wasn't like you wouldn't and you were there.
Speaker 2: I wasn't there.
Speaker 1: Who was there? There was all the death jail J Brown. Everybody act like it was just J and I know he wouldn't. They make it seem like he was strong arming her. No, the story is they didn't want her to leave. They were trying their best to find the deal.
Speaker 2: Make the best offer.
Speaker 3: The night before, me and your man and this is your man, Hove, we had a big argument about that. No way in the in the vestibule of forty forty, you know from the street little Hallway club, in the club. So he's like, what you think, I said, bro, she's it I'm telling you, and mind you, I didn't know she was going to be there, but I'm just saying from what I know in the Caribbean world and major she's it. And he goes, I don't know, I don't Maybe she don't got the whole thing, and me and him started arguing to the point, screaming, to the point where his security had to open the door and be like ya, you good, and I go he good, he good, Yo.
Speaker 1: But these are security guys I saw every day. You know.
Speaker 3: It wasn't like I was talking to a stranger. But I'm just saying. I'm saying it now on Rock Solid. I just want my credit in that story, That's right. I just want my Why you leave me out? That's a fact I don't.
Speaker 1: They definitely put your name in the begainning of the Rihanna book because when Rihanna first came from from the first time me and her member I met her and Tierra Marie at the same time.
Speaker 2: The same time.
Speaker 3: Tiana Marie was signed to Rockefeller, Rihanna signed to death jenmis and.
Speaker 1: Then literally Rihanna Ka, I mean Tiara came at three o'clock signed. Rihanna came in five five o'clock, by eight o'clock, nine o'clock. She signed literally the same day, and when we walked out that office. You were on the road every day with her, take every radio station, everywhere, all the promo runs. When we called it back then, the Chitlin Curch. You know what I'm saying. You did, Bro, you was moving. I remember Caravana and Toronto. Oh my god, I got I didn't. I didn't make it that year when y'all performed. Oh I got booked that year. That was the year they told me, hey, weed charges as cool, but you got a little bit too much. And I'm like, but weed is legal heat, but I'm not convicted. I can't go. I thought it was if I had a felony, not just caught cases. They was like, nah am, So I never made it to that caravan that when reperformed.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna tell your l story.
Speaker 3: Was with us the whole time as President of Death Jaim, that's all he was on that trip. President of def Jair. We always told that we all remember that it was. It was Kanye was there and Rihanna and we went to all of TV stations, all the of those shows, promo shows and then what we did one big show. It was like in the it was between these buildings, like an alley, but it was like thousands of people. And I said, yo, Cardinal Official. It was my brother. Also, he's also on Rihanna's first album and he's in the video. And I said, yo, can I bring Cardy so he could perform with us, like make the show better?
Speaker 2: And they're like, boom.
Speaker 3: So before we even start the show, everybody's talking to Hole. Yo, You're going on. He's like, I'm not going on. I'm President of Death Jay. This is for them and it's for y'all. All right, boom, Rihanna, everybody performed.
Speaker 2: Cardi goes on.
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 3: They went so beyond crazy. This nigga hove goes safe.
Speaker 1: You got p S A, Yo, you lie that? He good DAYO. He like, what the fuck is crazy?
Speaker 3: He got PSC? I said, yeah, I got p S who don't have FSA. He goes, he goes. I say you're gonna do it.
Speaker 2: He goes.
Speaker 1: Around a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yo, that's crazy.
Speaker 1: Now usedta have Toronto And that night upside down.
Speaker 3: That night he was they Jay Brown and them, they was talking to him. The only problem was I think he was already talking to Acon, so they got into a little biting one and he went with a con eventually, but it was they was trying to get him.
Speaker 1: I ain't gonna lie Man was one of those artists that if you as an artist from New York booming in the tunnel moving, remember his record wasn't really in New York like that, so you were sleep It happened to me. I went to Toronto thinking, Okay, Cordon all official, I know me. He ain't really the he go on before me, right, I got some my nigga. That nigga hit that stage. I wanted to give the money back to the promoter, like y'all want me to before After that, yo, y'all might as well take the money back. I can't compete with that, Like what the fuck? I had no idea to.
Speaker 2: Day and then give it up right, world up.
Speaker 1: So then I'm you was the first and a lot that were discovering that you was the first in a lot because from the Rihanna A andr Hot ninety seven DJ and Liluke Kenna producing lawn abb fucking Sean Paul putting, I didn't have no idea you put Sean Paul on Nina Sky fucking Ross bro Ross two. You know I made that call, you made the finish and play. That was like a tag team. That was tax That was tag team because I did the intro. You you was missed the ce you finished.
Speaker 2: Yo, but yo, I was.
Speaker 1: Going into comedy. You was doing the comedy ship before anybody bro.
Speaker 3: So like, so, first of all, it's weird, right, like now my full time gig is comedy. Yes, but I still to this point like I don't really I don't really call myself a comedian.
Speaker 1: I call myself a hip hop person that does comedy. But you wasn't doing it yourself. Then you were promoting Buddy first.
Speaker 2: But that was my bro.
Speaker 3: Okay, here's how I got I was the DJ on the Chappelle Show. Yes, so the Chapelle shows.
Speaker 1: Got about that note. Yeah, I got my notes. They're not that good. They're good, but they Lapel show. I forgot. Remember the Chappelle Show got clipped. It's been a long time since I watched the Chappelle Show. But we're gonna get in there. You this is why you're here.
Speaker 3: So I was a DJ on that and me and Dave used to suck around with the crowd, the realist, comedian that fuck with hip hop.
Speaker 2: He is rapper.
Speaker 1: I know he wanted to drive, but he probably got an unreleased album to me the way Dave moves. He got the unreleased.
Speaker 3: He's a rapper that his raps are comedy, but he got an entourage, he got the music in the back.
Speaker 1: Everything about him is a rap rapper. Everything you go in his dressing room before the show, he is.
Speaker 2: It's when he means rappers. It's like he's meeting his kindred spirit.
Speaker 1: It's crazy because he's one of the only guys that tell serious shit and it's funny. He don't even really tell jokes anymore. It's just real shit.
Speaker 3: It's hard of what we're dealing with in the world today, and he feeds it to you in a way that you could digest and and laugh in the moment. But really it's something to think about. He's the illness, the illness bro. So I was the d Jon Rappell show. We used to suck around with the crowd before he started taping. He can't not do stand up in front of him crowd. He can't not so he's like, there's a crowd out there. I'm gonna do a little stand up. Then we'll start recording the show. So sometimes I fuck around with music, play something like the Little John sketchy. Know Little John wat that came from us because he would talk on stage and I'll be like what yeah, yeah, he would look out. I'm like what. So he's like, yo, you know Little John. Yeah, He's like, we want to do the sketch. So it came from that bringing up Little John. God bless him.
Speaker 1: You know, he lost his son man, So sorry man, much love to you and the family. Prayers, see the whole family.
Speaker 2: Bro. Yeah, John's my man. Word.
Speaker 1: So then from there, Chappelle goes, yo, you should do stand up.
Speaker 3: He said that to me, He goes, you should do stand up. I said, why, I'm a DJ. I don't even know what he's told about. He said, you got the timing. He's like, you don't realize when you do that, You're that's a joke. He goes, you got the timing. He goes, you talk on the radio for a living, you got the personality.
Speaker 1: You should look into it. I'm like, shut the fuck up.
Speaker 3: Oh i I'm like, I'm living my life right now, the best life.
Speaker 2: And then years leter.
Speaker 3: So I just all these years MTV Hot ninety seven, people would just say you funny, you funny on the radio, You're funny on MT I'm like, why they keep saying that? So I was like, all right, how do I make money with this? That's all I'm thinking about, hustling. That's right, Okay, you think I'm funny? Well what if I get a bunch of funny people in this club on a Tuesday night and promote it and you give me the money and I'll give you the funny. And that's all it was me just being a producer. Dang, I'll get the you know, you ended up producing. I got it ended up anyway. And then I go up there, I say one or two things, and then I bring out a real host and a show goes on and everybody's happy. And then one day I go up and I say something funny just naturally, and I get a laugh, and I was like, oh what shit, field shit feel.
Speaker 1: Kind of good.
Speaker 3: And I talked to the comedy like Talent Capone, Rob Stapleton, Mark Vieira. I'm like, how do I do that again? And they're like, well, you gotta write a joke. And then I was, and then bro and then I just started.
Speaker 1: But a lot of these comedians have writers, right, and my bucket.
Speaker 3: Some dude, it's different though, Like remember you said enough might have gave you a bar.
Speaker 1: I've given many rappers bars.
Speaker 3: Hook ideas finish the line like this, I would could say I'm a rapper, but I wrote yeah some part.
Speaker 1: If you write a joke a comedy, you a fucking comedian. You might not be the guy to personality to tell it, but you could give it to the person who has the person Yeah. Some people you might get help. You might get a tag. With a tag is like you can add this to the joke. You might get some help. Some people got writers.
Speaker 3: But a lot of times, like sometimes people say they write for Chris Rock, he just likes people in the room, and they just yes, yes. So you know, there's some some of bullshit that have writers. My thing is like, if you don't write your own ship, do you really You don't really want to be a comedian.
Speaker 2: You just want to be famous, and that's two different things.
Speaker 1: I don't care.
Speaker 3: I want to be famous, but I don't care if it doesn't happen for me. I love being a comedian. So why would I say someone else's ship. That's the fun part to think of it, write it, say it and.
Speaker 2: It works to me. That's the whole ship.
Speaker 3: When I used to do my show, all the top comedians were like, sife, this don't count.
Speaker 2: This is your crowd. They know you.
Speaker 1: Come to Brooklyn, come to Queens, come.
Speaker 3: To this pool hall we do on Thursdays.
Speaker 1: Shine, oh ship, come, don't do that.
Speaker 2: I was in there, joke bro Let.
Speaker 3: Me tell you the worst people to do jokes for Jamaican crowd. They don't laugh at nothing.
Speaker 1: No, no, chill man, they don't laugh. They ain't playing the gay jokes for sure. None of that l g B t Q y knew you. I used to be like, Yo, I'm Puerto Rican. I need a lot of pussy, y'all, y'all y'all, Oh yeah, no fire, They not with nothing for yo.
Speaker 3: Here's here's what makes me real. I went back right, I went back again. I went back again. Got one life. Oh God made it one more.
Speaker 2: One more.
Speaker 1: That's New York for you think you could be the hottest rapper in New York City, do a show and these motherfuckers is in there like this. Yeah, it's the worst while you perform, Man, you looking like am I killing it? Like? I think? So they know the record, but nobody knew niggas like this, because today niggas is two flies on the five thousand dollars shirt, ten thousand dollars jeans, twenty thousand dollars niggas. I'm not wrinkling my clothes for you. I came to see you perform, not mean you.
Speaker 2: To watch people.
Speaker 1: I came to see you. You jump around it Dad, It's not me man, yo. So being the producer DJ who pivoted into all these worlds, was ever a time that you felt radio ever had you boxed? Then? Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure? The morning show? Oh wow, I want to show. Have me boxed in.
Speaker 3: The Morning show was a rough time for me because I was locked in every day Monday through Friday, waking up at four am. And even if I did comedy or DJ the night before, I'm getting home three o'clock shower, go right back to work and then bro. Even when I was on radio, I would still do comedy. I would I would do stand up, I would DJ, I would go to radio, and then I still worked at rock or I worked at with the Neptunes for a while, Like I never stopped.
Speaker 2: I kept other jobs. I was on MTV, so I would say.
Speaker 3: But the only thing I didn't like about Hot ninety seven morning show was the fact that I was stuck every day from Florida whatever time. And then like I couldn't even go away on the weekends because I couldn't fly back Monday.
Speaker 1: I had to be on the edge, so I had to come back Sunday, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: So, like I would try to ask comedians if I could open for them on the road and be like, I could leave right after the radio, like if it was like Boston or Albany or DC, I could drive and then leave it right back. So a lot of people gave me chances like that, but I was like, all right, how do I get on State.
Speaker 1: I gotta do it for free. Ask so if I could open up.
Speaker 3: Right so I'll just be running around and the morning show it definitely like the last two years, I felt like.
Speaker 1: I was in prison. I just wanted to get out of there, damn.
Speaker 3: And I never thought I would feel that way because Hot nine seven was my life. And then the way I left was very unceremoniously it was.
Speaker 2: Just a nasty just jetted.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like a nasty, weird situation. There was new bosses.
Speaker 1: They didn't know the work I put in all over all those years.
Speaker 2: They didn't know.
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 2: Remember we had the blackout in New York City.
Speaker 1: I could not forget Bro.
Speaker 3: The blackout happened. I happened to be around Hot They're like, is anybody around the station? I said, I am. I went up there, Bro. I was on the air for like twenty eight hours or some sh d like no one could get in because there was the ferries, the subway fucked up, but there's high nice had a generator. So I just went up there in a blackout and just rocked the whole time.
Speaker 2: That's who I was.
Speaker 3: Everybody knew me as being like a soldier, super early, leave late, never complain. And then how I left was just like it was just nasty. And then you know here since we're here, hello, og Wan saved my life, Bro all the time, he said. O g Wan said, Yo, listen, this is like after I left Rock. I left rock Lot familiar the label because I got the job on MTV, and whole was like, yo, look you can always work here behind the scenes. There's an opportunity for you to go to be in front of the camera. You should take that hold told me that. Then that's when rock Nation started and Og was like, Yo, when you leave hot, come here, we'll manage you.
Speaker 2: You're under the rock umbrella.
Speaker 3: And then we go from there and to this day like whatever, Yo, whatever does wan a whole.
Speaker 2: Needs, I'm there and vice versa.
Speaker 1: That they'll drop it off for any That's what people don't understand about them, them three, with all the power and success they have, they still will go to extra man in their homies in one of us like and that's the thing I think get underappreciated from gods.
Speaker 3: Of that magnet that when all this shit fucking I listen. I'm loyal to a fault, but my loyalty comes from experience and situations. I've been in the ship that people talk about hole like, oh, don't I don't really fuck with him like that. I see all those people when he walks in. All the bitch comes out of it, all of it. That Nigga's presence in a room. I've seen people who are absolutely haters straight up turning like, oh.
Speaker 1: Jesus, yo, yo, you think I get a picture, it's like, Yo, my man, you just just just five minutes ago talking shit word up like that's the way I can't stand. That's why I don't even believe it. That's why when I.
Speaker 2: Hear I see it and hear it, it's like I just not realize because it's like, because if he.
Speaker 3: Walk in this room, you don't want to get that hold me Nobody. There's not a person in the world who don't want to picture with Jay's That's a fact that ever said anything.
Speaker 2: Nah, he don't. He ain't the king. He really do this?
Speaker 1: Do that?
Speaker 2: He ain't the best that you bullshitting? You lying.
Speaker 3: But the problem I have with Hove is since nineteen ninety six, I'm from the Bronx, He's from Brooklyn.
Speaker 2: You're from Brooklyn.
Speaker 1: There's always a weird sarcasm battle we what with be and him. When people see us together, they think we hate each other because all we.
Speaker 2: Do is talk the most Son.
Speaker 1: But that's that's New York though.
Speaker 2: But Son is being I don't know what happened. It's not all we just love the pop shit.
Speaker 1: Though. I try to tell people that he whole pop shitter straight from the bricks. Bum ass, nigga, you ain't doing nothing out of here. Niggas don't know that side the whole.
Speaker 3: There's there's a there's a group of people in New York City. They come from outside. They're on the stoop on the sidewalk on the corner. These are called professional ship ship.
Speaker 1: Talkers, like like all that gold medal ship talkers.
Speaker 3: Yo, this guy see me in San Francisco. I ain't seen him in a while. He's kind of big. Now he's like a billionaire status. He's kind of moving differently. I was doing show with Dave Chappelle. He comes backstage him o G and death Hole sees me, lights up, lights up, gives me the biggest hug sun. I ain't seen him so long, bigg as hull love. I count down in my mind. I got about eight seconds to this before he talks ship that's right. Boom boom bo gives me, yo, you you're doing good, bro. You was good out there.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: Then he goes, hey, days, our little guy made it. Look at our little guy, A little god made it, yo. I said, Yo, ain't your fucking little guy.
Speaker 1: No, you little guy, that's right. One look at the little guy he made it made it. I'm like, yo.
Speaker 2: Fuck. So people are looking over. They didn't see the embrace part. They just see me going yo, shut the fuck up.
Speaker 1: So now they they yo, I'm telling you that's the side niggas don't know of whole man. I love that he don't even show it now. He keeps it personal with the with the fan. It's not on camera and all that. So it's the mystique about the mostik is crazy Hove is the gold medalist ship.
Speaker 2: So the best time Rock.
Speaker 3: Nation I'm in the office is when I was working for title Damn title the title first started.
Speaker 1: Word up.
Speaker 3: I was working with him. Bro, I'm in the office. He was on the Remember he was on the floor above. He's still up there the ninth. Okay, I was on the No No, before that forty. It was like thirties or forties before that office.
Speaker 1: Oh before the oh you're talking about the oh forty, he was on forty. We want thirty nine.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I just happened to be in the reception area getting a package. He come out the elevator. He come in the room, I mean in the in the in the front reception area. So I look up, I see him I give him the head nod, right, he got a serious face.
Speaker 2: Hu. So he walk in. He walked past me.
Speaker 3: He gets halfway down the hall, stops, turns around and goes, yo.
Speaker 2: I go, yeah, he goes, when I walk in, show me love, Yo, shit, I said.
Speaker 3: I said what He goes, I'm still hole nigga, right, I'm still jay Z show me love when I come in this motherfucker, I said, Bro, we at work. I'm leaving you alone, right because everybody come up to you like picture order god da da da da. I say, you look at you doing nah nah show me love. I'm like, yo, you're sick.
Speaker 2: Fuck bro, I'm.
Speaker 1: Telling you, yo, this is crazy. Man. I went up there yesterday. I had a meaning in the office, right, and I go see wall just kicking it with og og Like Yo, I've been meaning to call you. What I do? You did a lot, man. You be saying some shit. Man, we gotta have a talk. You saying too much. I don't know he didn't say what I said or didn't say, so I'm still waiting for that call. Like god, damn, I did something I don't even know if I did.
Speaker 2: I probably did something good. This might be the good call, yo.
Speaker 1: We got to talk. But it just sall the gangster. I don't know.
Speaker 2: It might be one you're telling the real.
Speaker 1: Story like he gave me. He gave me a little idea of something that I'm gonna try because you know, a lot of people write books, do documentaries. Nobody told their story in this type of sec you know what I mean, where you can go back and replay.
Speaker 2: It's almost like rose at a Stone visually.
Speaker 1: Its audio audio history, word oral history. I'm gonna run through it, man. But back to you, my g do you think let's ask your opinion on radio. Do you think New York radio still holds the cultural impact it did? No?
Speaker 3: Damn you answered that quick. I mean, I'm not saying it's dead or it's over. It's just not the same impact, not the same it has. It still has impact, but not the same.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think we dictate the mass is no more.
Speaker 3: No, it's impossible. It's algorithms now. But I'll tell you this though the first algorithm. Here's the problem with music nowadays opposed to in our heyday, even though we still popping.
Speaker 2: The beauty of radio.
Speaker 3: When funck Master Flex debuted a song everybody was listening at the same time. That created an energy. If she was in your car and your crib and the store, here, the new whatever, whatever song, the new this, the new that, and you bump into somebody. Yo, you said it right then? Did you hear the I just heard it. It created more of a like a like a fury, right, so like it flexes on a ten of night and you on your way to the club and then you hear it that night.
Speaker 1: You it's energy.
Speaker 2: Now the way.
Speaker 1: Music is released, it's too personal.
Speaker 3: Everybody listening by themselves at different times and headphones.
Speaker 2: Shit still looks big with the numbers.
Speaker 3: Now the biggest thing is your views on YouTube or your views on Spotify. How many listens you got, how many streams? Yes, that's great, but it's flat. They don't have that effect. The greatest Memphis Bleak moment to me is I tell this all the time to people. There was a night you was booked at Club Speed. Do mister c you drove on the block, you had a new Bends by yourself.
Speaker 1: Your Paul King show, p K. He talked about that. I know exactly had he talked about this club Speed.
Speaker 3: Club Speed was after the tunnel, much smaller, same energy. Yep, you pulled up in front of the block Memphis Bleak. You co hopped out of the bends, and the streets went crazy.
Speaker 1: You couldn't even get into the building.
Speaker 3: Why you were by yourself. We never knew, I thought people and the door was literally right off the streets and right there. Yeah, so the spot in front was safely so literally you could have just came out and went right in. You couldn't make it to the door. No, people went fucking crazy. And that's what I missed, the beauty of the the the broadcast.
Speaker 1: I feel, I feel like you know why that alone. I don't think it's the streaming that stop that. I think this is rappers don't go outside anymore. That too, they don't touch the people. Like back then, we had the record stores to do the in stores, and when the record store stopped, we had the closing stores, the foot lockers, the dtlrs, all of those spots where we would pop up her grandma, take a picture with the baby. We took pictures with nieces and nephews who grown now, so they were able to grow that love for us and appreciation. Like man, they came to the town. I'm gonna show some love to them. These artists today you only see them on social media TV. Then when you go to the show, you behind the velvet rope, you don't even get social.
Speaker 3: Media does seem like a better idea because you reach more people at once, but you don't touch or you don't touch them, and that's I think that's something that's missing, and you can.
Speaker 1: You could do both. To me, it's like you could do both. It's like having PlayStation Network or Xbox and you're saying, these are my friends, but they're in the virtue where you never never met them. Yeah, like yeah, not your friends.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I think people do gotta go outside a little more, have to find outside. It's scary sometimes.
Speaker 1: Nah, man, it's listen, listen, you reap what you sew.
Speaker 2: If you remember, birds carry a lot of weight.
Speaker 1: Man. So if the tongue speaks negativity, the ass gonna follow negativity. Man. If you speak positivity and believe positive, negative don't have no way to find you. But if you just a negative nancy ass nigga, negative shit gonna find its way to you.
Speaker 2: I've been in this game thirty years.
Speaker 1: Knock on wood, bro I ain't never been in no club fight, no club incident. I've been all over the world ten times. You know where I got into. My only issue in this rap shit Marcy fucking projects. I knew this. It's only the niggas you know, unless you go out of town in front or some niggas you don't know. But the niggas you know, like hey, car you oh, you from here. You're not supposed to have made it without us. Get your ass back in the sandbox with us.
Speaker 2: So you deal with that.
Speaker 1: But going around, I always been aids to the believer. Think of speaker, you know, a music. We're gonna speak what we live and what we know. But majority of the time, I've never been one of those negative dudes.
Speaker 2: Like yo, watch out, the killers is outside.
Speaker 1: Man, y'all gonna have to show me.
Speaker 3: But I'm gonna tell you an example of how the positivity could lead to negative. Right recently, about a year ago, I went to this club in Brooklyn. This my boy, he's a DJ from London, he moved to the States. He said, y'all got this party.
Speaker 2: You never come. I got this party you never comes in Brooklyn.
Speaker 3: Like Williamsburg area. I said, oh, Williamsburg is safe.
Speaker 1: Let me go out there. No, it's not.
Speaker 3: I go out there. I go to the party. I go inside for fifteen minutes.
Speaker 1: It's great.
Speaker 2: These two kids, like three kids come up to me. They're young.
Speaker 3: They're like, yo, you CYfer sounds. They're like nineteen, you CYfer sounds. I say yeah.
Speaker 2: They're like, yo, you know my pops.
Speaker 1: No, it's good. Long. I don't like what people say.
Speaker 3: Goddamn, like you know about pops? I said, who's your pops? He told me, g nigga. I said, oh, yeah, that's my man. I said, tell myself.
Speaker 2: What's up? He said, yo, yo, we're here to make sure you good.
Speaker 1: You good?
Speaker 2: I said, I'm good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Bro.
Speaker 3: Two of them lift up, they shirts. They both got hammers. I said, they're like, yo, eighthing you need, we got you o G. I said, oh, thank you, well, thank you bye.
Speaker 1: That's right, Yo. Listen, I'm one of those guys. Don't be a nigga. I don't know, and show me the gun. I don't want to be around you.
Speaker 2: Nigga.
Speaker 1: Get the fuck away from me with that pistol.
Speaker 2: I had a great time, bro, I warned up.
Speaker 1: It's time to go, Bro. Like and they showing love.
Speaker 2: But I said they ain't. Why whatever we need now?
Speaker 1: At nineteen I say, from nineteen or about twenty eight, that kind of love them niggas would have been. I'd have got them a Rockefeller chick. You damn nigga, you got what y'all too?
Speaker 2: Nigga?
Speaker 1: What let's go to Jacob right now? You kidding me? They'd have been recruited. But this me. Now, y'all niggas go that way, we going this way like, I ain't with it, so I avoid a lot of that shit. But let's ask you Ra as one of the best DJs, Yes, from Hot ninety seven doing reggae dance tall to doing the comedy everything, do you feel like you get the respect or to just do you deserve.
Speaker 2: Out of all the pears in the game? One hundred percent?
Speaker 1: Oh shit, he was gonna say one hundred percent. Yes, Yo.
Speaker 3: I don't know what happened now. I want to say that I want to preface this. I love my life. I love everything I true, I love who I am, I love where I am. But I always wonder why I get left out of so many stories and situations. I don't know what I must have missed a step somewhere and again.
Speaker 2: This is not regret. I have no regrets.
Speaker 3: I just wonder why I don't get the love or credit that I from all the things I did.
Speaker 1: You put a lot into this game. Ten years hot in ninety seven, No. Seventeen was an intern, seventeen years Rihanna fucking played a major part and with the Ross getting a deal, major part. Nina Sky, major part, Dance Tall, major part of Dave Chappelle's career, major part in the cis like, Bro, you did a lot. I don't think people forgot or don't appreciate you. My personal opinion from a friend's perspective, looking, I think.
Speaker 2: You don't stay long.
Speaker 1: Enough to receive your flowers.
Speaker 2: That makes it.
Speaker 1: I think that's what it is, because soon as you about to get your flowers, you like, yo, safe that nigga killing it. Niggare like, oh, I got a new building over here, y'all. Yo, y'all just saw me over here. Kyrie's nigga, I build carousels. Now you don't get here. You're like yo, I just was telling him he's doing steing over here.
Speaker 2: That's what I think it is.
Speaker 1: You you move quick because You're the first that did a lot, a lot, but you got off it so fast that I don't think people remember. They gonna remember now because a lot of people don't go back. You know. That's what I love about these podcasts, because people my fact check, this is my this is what I'm scared of God for big. I see a lot of our friends pass away recently. I'm so nervous about passing away. And then everybody goes on stage and tells all.
Speaker 3: This ship yo, and they go, I didn't know that safe did that? Say Okay, hey, talk about it. Now, give me my flowers now, flowers please? Why I still smell them?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 3: But again, I have no regrets. I'm just saying I am a trailblazer. I am a four A fore runner in a lot of different worlds.
Speaker 1: But I love what I do. Bro Like.
Speaker 3: I did a party after the super Bowl after Dave Chappelle. We did an after party, and we did two nights after party. One night I was up in a balcony far from everybody. I couldn't see the vibe.
Speaker 1: It sucked.
Speaker 3: I felt rusty. I said, Dave, if we're gonna do this again, I gotta be down there.
Speaker 2: That's what the DJ. He goes.
Speaker 3: He tell the people, I said, put it down here to bro DJ for three hours, flawless, flawless.
Speaker 1: Like I was in it.
Speaker 3: Man, you can't be up there, spectator. I was like, I still got it because I don't J. I don't DJ as a as a job anymore. But I also have this DJ Should I do it?
Speaker 1: Comedy bro? I need a credit for that too. I DJ while doing stand up. That was crazy. That's why I was gonna ask you, right, do you see comedy as like your final Like that's it. That's where I'm stopped this way.
Speaker 2: I'm a retired do I.
Speaker 3: Mean according to how you talk about me?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Probably not.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The next after this interview, you might be on some I.
Speaker 2: Never My dream is my when I'm when I say I.
Speaker 3: Made it, it's I'm doing improv comedy one night right where that's when we make the ship up on the spot at a show running for like seven years. With that, then I do a comedy club, like let's say we're in Minneapolis, whatever, I do improv one night, comedy club, the whole weekend, DJA after party, and on Sunday do some kind of charity philanthropic work in the community.
Speaker 1: That's it. But I can do that now.
Speaker 2: I just wanted to be sold out when.
Speaker 1: I like, I don't want half a packed I want right now.
Speaker 3: I'm getting a lot of half packed comedy clubs and I'm blessed to get them, but I just want that to be full. But that's that's the dream. And like, I'm never not hip hop. Hip hop. Hip Hop is just.
Speaker 1: My culture, my religious who I am.
Speaker 3: Everything zoos off me is hip hop first because it's just who my DNA is. But then I take that into this comedy world. But now I would like to do TV shows, movies, all that stuff.
Speaker 1: You know, it's all connected. It's the right time we got. You know, they got a whole department up at the building for that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh and yeah, I got just got the ideas. They got no pitch department. Let's go they pitch it the nation getting everything. Man, I'm about to I'm about to go steal me a position up there, like the fuck I'm just do say, Man, I know how to pitch too.
Speaker 3: The fuck I can pay how to go now, yo, because dazz in them just saw me rock San Francisco, So you gotta go while it's because.
Speaker 1: If it cool off, they'll be like, what you did, what you've been doing last summer? Then now they want to check the analytics. Hey, d you're the algorithm because niggas hit you with that. Now you're the agarithm, Like, let's chuck you out, like what the fuck is the agorithm? I'm right here like like, but yo, let me ask you this, like before we you know what I mean. I cannot say this to you because we people ask me this. What would be the best advice If you had to give one piece of advice to any upcoming DJ, comedian, any A and nor like because you wore many different hats A and R comedian radio personality, just DJing or producing. If you had to give one piece of advice to anybody that you say this that you wish you would have heard when you started, what would it be.
Speaker 2: It's not that I wish I would have heard, It's how I lived my life. I a lot of people.
Speaker 3: I come from, no connections, no family in the industry, Nobody.
Speaker 2: Even you had hole, you know, I mean, I wasn't a hole back then.
Speaker 1: It was not whole. Back we was making gift baskets. They forgot about that, buying Godiva chocolates and all this we had to put. You ever had put niggas use fake grass or Easter they ever used fake grass just on the regular Monday, Like, hey, this for the DJs. So don't think hove always been hole.
Speaker 2: That's what I don't people.
Speaker 3: Initially work for free. You could get so much done if you get around somebody and work for free. I did a lot of bullshit work. I got sandwiches. I had to wait in the car. I waited in the car when there was no phones, no YouTube, no serious, no fucking streaming, was in the car listening to the hopefully BLS was playing a good song at the time.
Speaker 1: I don't say work for free for people always get caught.
Speaker 3: Up like I'm not saying forever, but I'm saying to get your foot in the door, off of your services right, be early, stay late, telling you a true die hard soldier.
Speaker 2: If you want to be an A and R, go be a A and R.
Speaker 3: Go Find some artists, package them up, make some songs, give that package to the you know, to a label or a manager or whatever. You know what I'm saying. And then if you get cut out. Understand it was the experience. Nah, clap that shit up, Oh, clap it out, Okay, experience.
Speaker 2: I take part of no criminal way.
Speaker 1: You talk about getting cut we're too old to get cut out. Clap that shit up.
Speaker 2: I'm talking about the young people.
Speaker 3: But like yo, work like work in a club, DJ for free and kill it to the point where when the other DJ's late, you gotta stay on an extra hour. When I used to DJ in the tunnel, it was from nine to ten and Big Cap was supposed to get on a ten. Big Caps showed up, saw I was there. Next week, came at ten thirty, next week came at eleven. I was like, I'm supposed to be here an hour, rocking, rocking, rocking to the point where Flex was like yo, like your style comeing to the rail station helped me out.
Speaker 2: All that came from that. I eventually got my money.
Speaker 3: But I'm just saying, if you have no other way in people need stuff done, man like off of that services, get your foot in the door.
Speaker 1: That's dope too that you gave Flexes props, because you know a lot of niggas been saying flex getting niggas clip there told about Flex got niggas hired. Bro. You know that's why I say we live in the world where negativity outshine positivity.
Speaker 3: Let me tell you about Flip one thing. All this shit happened when people got fired. Whatever Flex plays the game, that's a whole other level. There's a DJ behigh ninety seven. He called me and said, Yo, I don't know what to do people getting fired.
Speaker 2: Da da da.
Speaker 3: I said, how's the new boss? He goes The new boss is cool? I like the new boss? I said, how often you talk to him? He's like I talked to him like once a week. I called him d D. I said, Flex talks to him every hour on the hour, even on Sunday's right. You gotta work, man. Everybody spots up for taking if you slack it. That's how I feel. You gotta solidify your spot.
Speaker 1: Bro. He don't play that ship. He don't play that ship.
Speaker 3: He he stays on top of the people he gotta stay on top of.
Speaker 1: And delivers the ratings.
Speaker 3: At the end of the day, when it comes to radio, the ratings is the only thing that matters. His ratings is sky high because he shows up and he does the work. Yes, he does play a lot of polities in the back.
Speaker 1: I just like that man, because you know, we live in the world where people be so quick the shoot at you then pull out the flowers for you.
Speaker 2: So I respect that of you. Like what's next?
Speaker 1: For safe? What you want to tell people? What's next? Anything coming up next? Don't take my carousel out there next week like carousels now.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be at the end of the Brooklyn brig. Honestly, I started a new show.
Speaker 1: It's called Pay your Friends, and his friends his respect mine.
Speaker 3: No, no, not just respect, his money too. But it's like pay your friends, pay your friends, love support. Like every time your friend get a new business or a new store, we want to go there and get the discount. No pay pay for the ship like you would pay at the at the fucking bench Balenciaga store. Fat So, I got a show called Pay your Friends. It's a new podcast. I only call it a podcast because that's what people are calling it. It's a show, that's right.
Speaker 2: This is a show. This is a show. And I got a big birthday celebration.
Speaker 3: What is this gonna be on? Hopefully before April sixteen? Of course April sixteen.
Speaker 1: We don't got that many episodes in the Okay, so this is this is out, this is coming out.
Speaker 2: It's out now.
Speaker 1: It's coming out.
Speaker 3: April sixteen, The cph of Sounds, More Friends, More Life, Sorry I said it wrong, More Life, More Friends Birthday Show.
Speaker 2: Dave Chappelle editing out the fucked up part because my dude, biggie back there. Hold it, Damn, we don't play.
Speaker 1: We know what it is.
Speaker 2: What was fucked up?
Speaker 1: Because you said I said it backwards. But we ain't gonna get that part in there.
Speaker 2: Fix it however you want. Yeah, we're gonna edit this shit up.
Speaker 1: We cleared, we shoot it up. You know what it is, y'all.
Speaker 2: This rock solid, this fucking sight for sounds legend.
Speaker 1: Like I said, man, give the legends the flowers while they still could smell them. Don't wait today in the air, because then we can't see them and we're not gonna care.
Speaker 3: You heard we outside, Man, this rock sound coming back. My feel because all they did, all we did was talking about me. I got so many rock stories.
Speaker 1: Yo, he said, all we did was talk about me. Yeah, I'm interview with you.
Speaker 2: I got a lot of rock stories.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna expose you Let's go and exposed.
Speaker 2: Let's go expose your part two.
Speaker 1: My brother love.
Speaker 2: Appreciated man. It was dope, YO, and she's gonna be flying exact YO.
Speaker 1: This coming out before am sixteen. Hell Like. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows at and you can follow me on any social media platform under the name Memphis Bleak. You see anybody fraud and flagging