Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by Unstoppable. Discover the inspiring true story about Anthony Roebliss, who defined every expectation to become a national wrestling champion. And Unstoppable, a new original movie from Amazon MGM Studios and director William Goldenberg, evoking the excitement and camaraderie of classic sports dramas and thrilling wrestling matches. Unstoppable features an all star ensemble cast including Jerrel Jerome, Jennifer Lopez, Don Cheatle, Michael Panya, and Bobby Canavali. Watch Unstoppable now exclusively on Amazon Prime Video.
Speaker 2: Welcome in What's Right with Nick Wright Episode two forty five. In this episode of What's Right with Nick Wright is brought to you by Huggy Skin Essentials. Babies Rejoice, New Huggy scin Essentials are here, a brand new dermatologist approved line of diapers, wipes, and pull ups trainings, all designed with baby sensitive skin in mind. All right, this podcast Sun is off to quite the championship run in twenty twenty four. We don't have a favorite hockey team, so that doesn't really count. There have been two championships decided this year. One the Kansas City Chiefs who won the title, my team beating your team, the Baltimore Ravens and root to it. And two the Boston Celtics who won the title, who beat kind of my adopted team, the Dallas Mavericks in route to it. So it's been a long road for you as a Celtics fan. You kind of picked the worst era in Celtics history, which is a testament how great their history is. To become a Celtics fan because you went such a long you became a fan in twenty ten, and then they won their first title of your fandom this year, So I worst sounds bad, but my point is they've done so much winning over the years. There aren't a lot of fifteen year gaps. Eighty six to eight was the longest one, but you were too young and weren't alive for a lot of that. So before we get to any of it, congratulations, it's your first favorite team that's ever won a championship. How to feel watching it? Not a lot of suspense in the series and in the game, so I imagine it wasn't a single U Fork moment. But you guys won.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we did win. I got my moss right, here so toes to you and this wow.
Speaker 2: Oh but just take just a straight shot morning West Coast time, go ahead.
Speaker 3: So it felt great, I will say something about it felt unnatural, like with how easy it was. But like Tatum said, long time coming, very glad they got it done, and just excited to see this team now year and see what they'll be able to do. But it's a but yeah, no, it's amazing. But like I said, like it does feel a little eerie still, like for some reason, it just feels a little strange.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I understand, I relate to that. It was you know, the my first team that won a championship really was the Royals, and it was similar their run in this regard. So the Royals the previous year went seven in the World Series and had an unbelievable postseason run and then lost in heartbreaking fashion. And then the next year they could have easily lost the divisional round. They could have easily lost the divisional round, but then they kind of took care of business in the ALCS against the Blue Jays, and then the World Series itself was for to one over the Mets, and it felt within the moment almost anti climactic. But the build up over the previous years is where the real intrigue came for the Celtics. It's something similar. This team has been championship caliber the last three years and two years ago. I know people say, you know, they've went to six conference title finals in eight years, but that's seventeen and eighteen teams were not championship caliber. I didn't think the twenty team that lost to Miami was championship caliber. But twenty two, they're up to one in the finals, look like they are going to win it. Steph goes crazy in that game for Draymond gets going and they lose. Last year, they have it all laid out in front of them, they go down three to zero in the conference finals, claw all the way back for a game seven and can't get it done. And in this year they mow through everybody flatly. Yeah, this team went I mean they went eighty and seventeen I'm sorry, eighty and twenty one on the year. It record wise, it's an all time team, even if eye test wise, I don't know that they're an all time team, but they did have an all time season and that they were so good that none of the playoff series ever felt in doubt. There was never a moment of like, oh man, this could go the other way. Probably the only moment that there was real doubt was Game three when the twenty one point lead turned into a two point lead, because at least to me, it felt like blowing that type of game could break a team. A game where you're up twenty and the fourth to essentially win the championship. If you blow that, could you know what I mean? Would it have snowballed? But they Luca fouls out, they hold on, Jalen Brown makes the biggest shot of his life to basically ice that game, and then from there on it was really a matter of win and not if. So we'll get into all of that quickly. Here's what missed the cut in today's show. The Birmingham Stallions bought out the Bramas to win their third consecutive UFL or USFL XFL championship. Bryson d. Chambeau wins the US Open. That put a little sour taste on my father's day because I had bet Rory at plus three point fifty. Rory had made literally four hundred and ninety six putts from three foot or inside in a row, and then he missed one on sixteen and then one on eighteen to really gag it away for Rory to be two shots up with five to play, and Bryson played the final five holes one over and to win is just into just unforgivable. And Jeff Van Gundy shout out to Jeff van Gundy, friend of mine, great guy. It's been a brutal year for him. He gets a lead assistant job with Tylo and the Clippers. But the story, of course is the Celtics raising banner eighteen demons take it away.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so my Celtics are obviously world champions now, just won the finals last night. They finished. You already said they finished their postseason eight and twenty one. But you congratulated Boston last night, but kind of took a shot at the same time with your tweet, which I kind of got something to say towards, but I guess we'll get to it later.
Speaker 4: Oh I did. The words are tiny, but yeah.
Speaker 2: Because I said, let me read the tweet. Congrats to the Celtics. They were the best team all year and I didn't believe in them. I didn't think they had the guy. Turns out they didn't have to outstanding team. That is six excellent players, guys who know their roles and are brilliant defend deserving champs. I don't think that's taking a shot. I think that is cojin analysis.
Speaker 3: But go ahead, all right, So do you think this is going to be the first team to roll through through the finals and through the playoffs and still get crushed for it? Or do you think people will finally acknowledge this team as a historic one.
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think that was always a straw man. I don't think there are no champions. There is one champion in my lifetime that gets yeah butted consistently, and I think it's because Lebron's attached to it. Other folks say no, it's because of the pandemic. But the Lakers Championship gets a mental asterisk folks put on it. They call it the bubble Championship. That's the only one. Wilds and brew Go you know, argued with me and yelled at me, said no, the other one is the Rockets two championships because Jordan wasn't in the league, but of course he was in the league for their second championship. But I don't I don't think credible. People are like, oh, a team has fake championships. There are no fake championships now, and so I just don't think that anyone ever was going to do that. Now. If somebody tried to say this is one of the hardest paths to a title ever, that obviously is a different discussion and that's not accurate. But that doesn't matter. The Celtics handled all their business in the regular season on a semi historic level. We've seen a lot of sixty four win teams, but you added the point differential to it, it becomes semi historic. They then never faced a game six in these playoffs. They either swept or won in five every series. That is a great team and the point I was making in my tweet, I think stands up the fact that the Celtics were able to roll through these finals despite no one on their team having anything close to an A plus series except for I guess you could say Sam Houser in his role is a testament to how deep they are. And it's not even deep like one through eight, but deep one through six. How well rounded they are and the Celtics, I'm gonna I'm gonna look this up and Dusty you're watching, So Dusty, tell me if if I have this inclination correct, at some point, I would bet this was one of the Celtics in the finals. I bet the points they scored over these five games is maybe the fewest points they scored over any five game stretch all year. I bet that, and they won in dominating fashion. So why because this team was so dialed defensively, and aside from five minutes of Game three and the entirety of Game four, essentially they were so dominant defensively. When they were keyed in, the Mavericks had no room to breathe, and that makes you a great team. There are some legitimate similarities to the four Pistons, a team that also didn't have anyone in those finals go crazy. Nobody averaged twenty five, let alone thirty points per game, but it didn't matter because they were so well rounded and they crushed you on the defensive end. And so listen, Jason Tatum gave you twenty two, seven and seven on thirty nine percent and twenty six percent from three, and they blew the MAVs away. Jalen Brown gave you twenty one, five and five on forty four percent and twenty three percent from three and they blew the MAVs away. Chris STAPs, Porzingis gave you six healthy quarters and they blew the MAVs away. That's a great team. It just is. And so I have no problem saying I missed it because I thought that if Tatum were to play at this level in the finals, which I thought was likely, the MAVs would win. Instead, Tatum played at this level and the Celtics ever were tested. That is a testament to the quality of the roster. Brad Stevens moves he made the Drew Holliday edition, Chris STAPs, even though he wasn't really available most of this playoff run, bringing back Al Horford, Joe Missoula, keeping the team locked in, neither Tatum nor Brown letting their ego get in the way of this. All of this is about what a great team is, and so I can hold both of these ideas in my head. I believe this was a great team, and I believe that despite the fact I don't think they have anyone that is close to a historically great player. That almost makes it more impressive. And I'm going to bring up that four Piston's team again because it was that four. Piston's team went to six conference finals in eight years. Now. They won a championship on the front end, Renther in the back end went to another finals that they lost in seven That was after the champions set up before the championship. But it was a team that defensively could guard one through five basically anywhere, and everyone accepted and was good with their roles, and everyone except for Ben Wallace could be an offensive star on any given night. That's this Celtics team. And shout out to them for that. And so I don't think and Dusty just sent it to me. These finals were the second fewest points the Celtics scored in any five game stretch of the season U. And with the only you know what and if you the only five game stretch UH that was fewer was the last game of the conference finals through game four of these finals, so it is they didn't have so think about that. Think about that for a moment, because this is a compliment. The Celtics had their worst offensive five game stretch of the season in the NBA Finals and were up three to zero, to one, four to one. That is remarkable. That is insane when you think about it, and and thank you Dusty for looking that up. I just just from watching the Celtics throughout the year and knowing the numbers they average one twenty in this series, they ended up they never hit one ten. They I knew their offense wasn't clicking by looking by their own standards, and they rolled. So this is where before we get to other stuff. Celtics fans that want to be you know, mad at me or annoyed, you can take a victory lap in that I underrated your team. You deserve that. I absolutely did. Uh, there's no denying.
Speaker 4: It orating a little bit.
Speaker 2: Well, we're gonna get to Luca. I don't know if I overrated him, but we'll get to Luca's performance. Uh. In in a moment, I want to stay on Boston for now. Uh.
Speaker 5: But you could say, I, well, let's just put a picre the you if you want this.
Speaker 2: If you were hoping this would be Jason Tatum's coronation, then you're a little disappointed. If you were hoping this would be the Celtics team coronation, and starting all the way back with Danny Ainge deciding you know what, it's gonna hurt, But I'm trading KG and Paul while they still have value because our window is closed with something like this in mind, that was a decade ago when he made that move, and the Smart trade for Derek White, the not you know, despite all the disappointments and despite all the trade rumors, never trading Jail and Brown. Now, some of that is probably good fortune because he obviously was available at times, and you know the other teams wouldn't accept the deal. The Jail and Brown and Jason Tatum sticking together and getting closer and figuring out each other's weaknesses more properly evaluating your own team and having the courage to say, you know what, Marcus Smart, who got here a year before, Jalen Brown, who kind of had an outsized leadership role, you're out. We're trading you. Getting Chris STAPs the moment Drew Holidays available, seizing on him. Doing those things is how you build a champion. And they did it, and so there is no shade, There is no yeah. But they won the title. And I note right now, Demons, before we move on to your follow ups and then get to Luca, what's the fan base you think right now that is last night had the hardest time sleeping that last night watched the Celtics win that championship and say, man, we blew it. That should have been us. Because there's one that comes to mind for me that it's gonna be hard for them to get over. I'm curious if there is a team fan base out there that watched these playoffs and watched these finals and said we would have beaten that team, We would have done better than the MAVs, and we would have been Is there one that comes to mind?
Speaker 4: Oh, the Timberwolves, right?
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't think it's the Timberwolves. What there? Yeah, show the control room that that's right. It is Daniel's pointing at himself, at himself. It's the Nuggets. The Nuggets fans right now, to Daniel, give me a thumbs up if I'm right. This has been a hard finals to watch because right or wrong, the Nuggets fans are like, we were up twenty in Game seven and we would have rolled the MAVs. He's gonna walk away. Yeah, we would have rolled the MAVs and the Celtics would have had no answer for joker like that. The Nuggets, the Nuggets are the one team. Because also, by the way the Celtics this year eighty they finished the year eighty and seventy, Is that right? Eighty and twenty one finished the year eighty and twenty one. They are eighty and nineteen against twenty eight teams and zero to two against Denver, and the Nuggets had they were up three to two and then they were up twenty in a game seven at home, and it was weird. And now maybe I can say that even if they had gotten through that, Dallas would have beaten them. But Nuggets fans today feel like God dogg.
Speaker 3: It's unfortunate feeling last year though, like the Celtics had to go through that with playing the Heat. When they the Heat went to go play Denver, and the Celtics obviously knew they would have matched up better than the Heat, says, so you gotta wear that well?
Speaker 2: They right, exactly right, No, that's right where the Celtics last year, like that should have been us and we would have certainly given it a bet. Right, So I in a weird way, I think Nuggets fans have a harder time dealing with this Finals than MAVs fans. I think the Timberwolves feel like Hey, we're a young team. Well, Anthony's young, and we kind of spent ourselves beating Denver. Dallas hit us, you know, with a sledgehammer. Dallas feels like, holy bleep. We missed the playoffs. Last year. We were at the play in line before the trade deadline. We made the damn finals. It's it's the Nuggets that this is a tough one for him, and maybe that would have been a better finals, but you got to get there for it to be a better final. You gotta get there. And so Boston, you get all the flowers, you get all the all the credit, and you're not only deserving champs. You are. I'm gonna say one other thing and then we'll move on to your follow ups. You are inspirational champs to a lot of the league. In this regard. Man, if we don't have a top twenty all time player, are we just spinning our wheels for nothing? All right? We if we are so? No, it's not like, if you are right now, let me let me give you, let me give you a I mean, you can say that, but it's accurate. If you're right now, the Indiana Pacers right and you are trying to build something. If you are the Sacramento Kings with dearon Fox, you're trying to build something. If you maybe are the Minutes so to Timberwolves with Anthony Edwards and trying to build something, and if the MAVs had won the title and beaten Boston, it would feel like, well, with this whole build the best team thing, let's see who wins titles. Luca Jokic, Jannis, Steph Kawhi when he was healthy, Lebron, Stephan Durant, Lebron, Stephan Clay, you know, Duncan with Kawhi and Tony and Manu Lebron with the way it's okay if we don't have one of the Celtics are this perfectly built team. If Luca had gone in there with one other All Star and then a bunch of twenty two year olds and beating them, it would feel like, all right, if we don't get the Wimby lottery pick, what, we're just spinning our wheels instead. What the Celtics showed you is if if you have enough really good players and then a couple excellent players, you can get away with not having a legend. And that's not backhanded, and that's where if Celtics fans want to get mad at me, that's fine, but it's just true. And so that is that. It is a It was the best result for the league when it comes to other fan bases feeling like, oh, there's a path here, all right, now we can do the follow ups.
Speaker 4: Go ahead.
Speaker 3: Jalen Brown got the MVP Trophy. You said that that's who should have gotten the vote. Were you surprised that he got it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? No, I well a little bit. I thought there was a chance that they were going to do something hinky and I and tried it for the first time ever do co MVPs. Somebody would split their vote. So it was five and a half five and a half. I thought Drew deserved a little consideration because in a series like this, this is how I feel I am gonna put a disproportionate impact on games one through three when the series was in the balance, and Jalen was clearly the best player of those three games with Drew to me being in second place, and Jalen hit the shot in game three that kind of iced it, that jumper to put him up four when it was getting perilous. Uh with a round a little over a minute left. But no, I think they got it right. I think they got it right, and I'm happy they got it right. What we got another jail and Jason question?
Speaker 4: Go ahead?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So do you think we're in for a summer of Jalen Jason Tatum rumors or rivalry rumors?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: I again, I think that is that is going. You know, the uh Twitter meme of the idea is somebody puts out like a highlight clip and then captions it with and they said, but it's something no one has ever said, Like they put a clip of Steph hitting a bunch of threes and then that somebody capts it with and they tried to tell you Steph Curry is not a great shooter, like the something that no one actually has ever said. I think that there are going to be Celtics fans who operate best from a place of angst that don't know how it kind of feels to just know you guys won and there's not really any downside, yeah, but pessimistic side to it that are going to try to straw man you into saying that that this is a storyline. I don't think it's a storyline. I now now I guess maybe I'm going to contradict myself here. I I don't think it's a storyline. I do think that if somebody went into next year and said, hey, I think Jalen Brown's the best player on the team, they can't be disregarded as trolling. I think he has done enough in biggest spots where it's at least someone's allowed to hold that opinion. Let me put it that way. I think that is an even I don't think he's the best player on the team, right right, So you it's a viable opinion. It's an allowable opinion, not in the way that think of the Warriors pre KD. If somebody was like, guys, I'm just telling you I think Klay Thompson is the best player, that's not a viable opinion, you know what. I mean that even though Stepp didn't win finals MVP, Clay did either, obviously it's now a viable opinion. But I think that I think Tatum has the right disposition. Man, I think he wanted finals MVP. I think you could see once the game was decided in that second half, it did feel to me like Tatum was like, well, if I score forty I think I'll get it. But that's fine. He's supposed to want finals MVP, Like, that's not a he's supposed to, you know, want those accolades. But no, I don't think it's a rivalry thing. All right, what's the next Tatum question?
Speaker 3: So do you, with that said, with his mid performance throughout the series, do you think that that would all be forgotten if he had won Finals MVP.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, I do. And that's where it stings for him just a bit, is if he had won Finals MVP, anyone in the future that were to be like, oh, you know, Tatum has n't been great in either final he's been in, could can simply respond with he won Finals MVP. So it was similar to I'll give you a not apples to apples, but an example Mahomes a few Super bowls ago, right, So go back in time where we are right after the Bengals playoff loss, where mahomes last three postseasons had been beating the Niners, the first time in the Super Bowl, getting blown out by Tampa Bay and then losing to the Bengals, and folks would and Mahomes in that Niner Super Bowl, that first one had two interceptions early, didn't play well for the first three quarters of that game, but then was brilliant late and won Super Bowl MVP. I remember being on Dan Patrick's show before the Eagles Super Bowl and Dan Patrick tried to say to me, well, you know, Mahomes hasn't played very well in the Super Bowl in his career, and I just replied with, what do you mean. He's like, well, he hasn't been very good in either game, and I just I think check made it him by being like, oh, well, that's interesting because he's played in two of the games, and in one of them they at the end of the game they voted on who was the best player on either team, either side of the ball, the single best player in the game, and he won that award. So I guess he played. If he didn't play well, no one played well because he won Super Bowl MVP. And so it is kind of a you know, big joker when it comes to how poorly could the guy have played if he was named the MVP of the game or the series. So yeah, I do think it would have been lost to history. Now it won't be, but it's not the only way Tatum playing poorly was going to really hurt him was if they lost because of it. Instead they ran away with it. So it doesn't help him obviously, Like the championship helps him, but you know, not winning finals MVP, it doesn't help him. But that to me's fair. All right, let's let's go to the Celtic's future part, because we'll go ahead and ask the other dam question. Then we'll go to it, then we'll go to the.
Speaker 3: Next Do you think he's reportedly gonna sign an offer for five years, three hundred and fifteen million.
Speaker 4: Do you think that's worth it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course, of course. He's one of the he's one of the best players in the league, one of the call it ten best players in the league, and that's what those guys get. So yeah, that's not even a debate. That's not even a debate. He can be clearly a cut below the very very best players in the league and worth a max like that's not even to me, that's not that's not debatable. Now, one more Celtic question before we get to Luca.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so they seem like a there seemed like a perfectly built team to with stars and role players. Do you think this is just the beginning of an air of an era.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I think everybody's got to be careful. Every team that wins the championship, we are convinced is just gonna keep winning championships. And we have six new champions over the last six years, just so the if you win the When the Bucks won the title, nobody thought they weren't set up to just keep winning titles. Nobody was like, oh, that was a fluke, No way that's sustainable. And the next year Chris Middleton got hurt and they haven't been passed the second round since then. When the Warriors won their last one, they were the favorites going into the next year. But I don't know that people thought necessarily they were set up for a long run because they had already had their run. Certainly, when the Nuggets won their title, up until a month ago, everyone thought they were in the midst of what was going to be the Nuggets era. And now everyone's gonna think that about Boston. Now they're set up better than the Raptors in nineteen who knew they were probably losing Kawhi Leonard. But very as we have learned, very hard to repeat. So I'm not ready to talk about dynasty.
Speaker 3: I do think as far as the deepness and the depth of the team, I just don't think all those other teams to described didn't have five six guys I could do it.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 2: Denver did, I mean Dinver? Denver was very similar. Denver had five starters you love plus Bruce Brown and then lost Bruce Brown. The Celtics have five starters you love plus Al Horford. I wouldn't. I think it's on the board. Horford retires now that he's won the tie, He's got one year leftones steal, but I think it's on the board he retires. So Milwaukee, everyone now thinks Milwaukee wasn't this great team. Milwaukee, you know, had Drew Holliday, but he was three years younger. Middleton was coming off his best postseason. Giannis was a fire breathing dragon. Milwaukee looked pretty damn good. And so I I think Boston is, you know, the a front line contender for next year. But I do think it is too early to talk dynasty, obviously, and I'm not even I'm not yet penciling them in as repeat champs, because as we're seeing in this era of the NBA, repeat jamps are very hard to come by. Now let's get to Luca.
Speaker 4: Go ahead.
Speaker 3: Yes, so Luca obviously wasn't able to get it done by himself and his supporting cast. So now you're set with an off season of listening a whiles to play the piano.
Speaker 4: I think I missed that part of the show. But how much how much is as.
Speaker 3: How much does a loss like this effect Luca's legacy?
Speaker 2: Well, so I'll do legacy first, then I'll get to your point about whether or not I overrated him. Okay, so here's the legacy piece. Luca, because of this finals appearance, is back on schedule. And by on schedule, I mean when he came into the league, I thought his ceiling was top ten all time player, and he now has the through six years through age twenty five resume of a guy on that trajectory. He just does. As far as he's been in the league six years, he's been first team All NBA five times. He has now been to an NBA Finals and a conference finals. Last year he got himself off schedule. He had been on schedule each year. So rookie year, Rookie of Rookie year, he's Rookie of the Year, second year first Team All NBA awesome in the playoffs, lose as an underdoging Round one. Third year first Team All NBA even better in the playoffs, losing seven to a better team, same team the Clippers in round one. Fourth year make the conference finals after being first Team All NBA at age twenty three. Okay, this is exactly the way an all time great player goes. Fifth year first Team All NBA missed the playoffs. Now, all of a sudden, you're in trouble, and then six year got right back on track. And I can show you this graphic that we made that Again, it's not going to translate to the pod quite as well, but we can go full screen with it and I'll try to explain to the listening audience. On the right hand side. What you see is how many first Team All nbas the active guys have, so Lebron obviously as the most, and it's almost an unfair standard. So for Lebron, he's got thirteen first Team All NBAS, which is a farce almost along with ten finals appearances and four rings. KD has right there, he has five or six first Team All NBAS and in those first Team All NBA seasons, one ring and one other finals appearances. Giannis has six first Team All Nbas hardened at six first Team All Nbas, and then there is Louuka with five, Steph Ad Joker, CP three all have four, Tatum and Guy have three. Then if you go to the history of it as far as where Luca is twenty four and underseasons, no one ever has more First Team All Nbas and the only guys with four who have been to the NBA Finals are Durant and Duncan. Duncan of course won the title, so he is right on track where he should be now. So I don't think his legacy takes a hit. I think this was good for his legacy this season. Now Here is where demons asked, did I overrate him? I don't think I overrated him. I do think I overestimated how good he'd be in this series US. He finishes the series twenty nine, nine and six on forty seven percent shooting and had a bad three point shooting series, real bad shooting twenty four percent from three. He needed to be better, and while the whole world was killing Luca for his defense in Game three, as I tried to make the point the MAVs did not lose this series because of defense. They lost this series because of offense. Now, Boston's defense gets credit for that, but Lucas supposed to be the skeleton key to solve all of that, and he wasn't able to. In order for the MAVs to win this series, Luca honestly needed to be thirty five, nine and nine and that would have that would have given them a fighting chance. I thought he would do that. He didn't, So does this make me reevaluate him? Now? Now I will say this, finally a little good news for Daniel. He doesn't get to be called the best player in the league. Uh oh, well, I know that was your follow up, de Monze, so we can skip that follow up. But no, joker retains the title. I felt it was available. If Luca had willed this MAVs team to a championship, I would have been comfortable saying he's the best player in the league. But there's no one in league history who has held the title best player in the League before they either have won an MVP or multiple or won a championship. The only possible exception would be maybe Lebron at twenty two after he got to the finals with that forty eight special, but the very next year he won MVP, and I think most people at that moment still thought it was probably Kobe, even if I thought it was Lebron so or maybe they thought it was Duncan. So he's not we're not able to go him best player in the league. But he's checked off all the boxes you're supposed to check off at age twenty five. And all the guys who are you know on that short list, none of them were winning titles before age twenty five, except for Magic, who had Kareem. Kareem who did win his I think at twenty five might have been twenty four his second Yeah, I guess he was twenty four second year Bird and then Duncan of course.
Speaker 3: But go ahead right with those check if they had Lebron James I call it twenty sixteen Lebron James on this team. Do you think they would have been able to win the series? Because yes, I think that goes Intead instead of Luca.
Speaker 4: Obviously.
Speaker 3: I think that goes hand in hand with you saying they had the guy. That's what I was saying, like the like, hold on, but.
Speaker 2: You got but we gotta be fair. You asked me if they had twenty sixteen Lebron, I think they would have won the series. Lebron was twenty five though, in two thousand and nine. So if they had O nine Lebron, would they have won the series? I think they would have. I think they would have done better. I ain't, but I don't know that they would have won the series because oh nine Lebron, you know, to be fair, he hadn't won a title yet either. Now, I here's the thing for well, let me see the uh well, I'll get to that in a second. I but I don't think I said top ten all time Demanse. I didn't say number one all time. So instead of comparing him to Lebron, let's compare him to if they had twenty five year old Kobe. Do I think they would have won the series? No? If they had twenty five year old Steph, do I think they would have won the series? No? If they had twenty five year old check d do I think they would have won the series? No? I don't twenty five year old Durant. No. You know those guys who live in that eight, nine, ten, eleven, twelve range, like I don't think they would have h now again Luca. I would give Luca for this series a B minus. I don't think he was great. He had great moments, but I don't think he was great. Now. Was he banged up? Sure, but that gets us to actually believe it or not your follow up, So let's go ahead and go to your criticism follow up.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, Luca obviously has received a lot of criticism throughout this series. How do you think that he'll bounce back next year?
Speaker 2: So I don't have as big of a problem with Luca's defense as everyone else does. I just there is there is only one guy in league history who was asked to run an offense, create all of the shots for everyone else, do everything on that end, and be a great defender. There's only one guy, and it's Lebron. Everyone else Magic was not asked to be a great defender. Steph is not asked to be a great defender. Kobe was a great defender, but Kobe also was not creating offense for other people. Obviously, you know the bigs. It's a different story. Bird was a good defender. So if we want to say Bird is maybe the closest comp that's fine, but Bird was not a great defender, and so we have to be fair about what we're asking of the guy. So with that said, here is what is true, and this demands you're gonna agree with me, And I think you're gonna give a Oh now you think, now you say it? Take no, no, I mean he again, he spoon feeds everyone their baskets. This whole, this whole idea that he's a that Kyrie thrived with him. If you can create your own shot, Luca will defer to you. If all you can do is catch lobs or hit threes, Lucas gonna have to create for you. So stylistically, I don't think he has to change. So I disagree with that. But this is the thing that I'm gonna say that. I think you're gonna be like, yeah, now you now you say it. He needs to be in better shape. That part is true. I mean he he does need to take his conditioning and fitness more seriously. I don't think he is. I And here's the deal. He is in good enough shape to get by if he were not asked or wanted to do everything he does offensively. But run like that The secret to Lebron being able to do everything he did on that end of the court and be what he was defensively and go to AID straight finals and play in one hundred game seasons year after year after year after year. Was the guy's in the best shape of anyone in the league, and Luca is never going to be that, But he needs, in.
Speaker 4: What way more shape?
Speaker 3: Once upon, as I haven't seen older clips of him, he's picked up.
Speaker 2: Okay, so I think the clip. So two things. One is I think the clip you saw that everyone is showing is bubble Luca. So I think that there is a distinguishing factor there that everyone has forgotten, which is why were they in the bubble Because there was a pandemic going on. They were locked in Disney World and all they were allowed to do was play basketball. Everyone was in better shape, every single person in that bubble. It's like there's no going out, there's no drinking, there's no partying. We are just hooping. So I think there is that. And this is where I will say the injury is not an excuse, But I do think the injury a hurt his ability to stay in shape and the way he would like to and made him appear slower, but he's obviously carrying a little too much weight. That's fair. So to take that next step, he needs to cut. Joker did it, and Joker's not in the Jokers like indefatigable, but he also he as he is not as heavy as he was four years ago, and it helped him. And so that is the next step for Luca. Uh so, I you know, I is Luca's hookahs closing down. I don't know. If they had won the title, then he can drink all the beer and smoke all the hook he wants. I give himself a few weeks of that, but then he's got to get back to the gym. All right, go ahead.
Speaker 3: So this Dallas team this year exceeded expectations. Uh do you expect them to be near this spot anytime soon?
Speaker 2: Tough? I mean they have a Derek Lively was excellent as a rookie. Gafford was good, a good acquisition. I like some of the young pieces, but man, it's hard. Everybody thinks we're going to get right back there. You don't always. And so it is going to take Luca getting to a tick. Like Luca at least maintaining, if not getting a tick better. And then the real wild card is Kyrie's health. Is Kyrie gonna have a year as healthy as this year and where he's healthy in the playoffs? I don't, I don't know. So it's very, very difficult to get back. Let's let's ask the chat question.
Speaker 3: Brandon asked, when is Luca leaving Dallas because of Kyrie?
Speaker 4: When is he demanding his trade? You claimed, is that still on the table?
Speaker 2: So this, Brandon, while I I I appreciate you watching the show, Uh, this is something that you know has been addressed multiple times, which is I have been so blown away by Kyrie's maturity, professionalism, all of it over the last year and a half that he has correctly changed my opinion of him. So you know, I got that what last year I picked the MAVs to win the championship, and then when they traded for Kyrie. I said what Brandon said, I said, which is he's going to be you know, when Luca ends up demanding out of Dallas, this is going to be one of those dominoes. I don't feel that way anymore. I also do not feel like one run to the finals all of a sudden guarantees Luka mav for life. Giannis won the title, and two years later they made a panic trade because they thought he was gonna leave. So there are anybody claiming that there are multi year horizons guaranteeing someone is staying somewhere, I think doesn't understand the modern MBA. I just don't. So. Right now, the MAVs are in good shape. But let something go awry next year and all of a sudden, that is a massive topic of conversation. Again, and so especially, let me check the way Luca's contract works. Luca is so, Luca's under contract for two more years and then has a player option the following year. The point is this next year is a critical year for Dallas. They go backwards and Luca all of a sudden catches it, starts catching a ton of heat. Then everything's available once again. And I'm not putting that on Kyrie. That is simply the reality of the modern NBA. Again, Giannis won the title, won the title, and within two years the Bucks were so terrified he was going to demand a trade that they kind of made a panic move. They fired Boat Budenholtzer, they hired Adrian Griffin, They traded Drew Holliday for Damiens for Damian Lillard, which ended up maybe winning a title for Boston. It's crazy how things work out. Quick break right back, What's Right? Welcome back in What's Right with Nick Wright? In this episode of What's Right with Nick Wright has brought to you by Huggies Skin Essentials. New parents changing diapers all the time, My kids past diaper age, but I remember what it was like. Not always pleasant, and it's made harder with surprises like diaper rash, which can be uncomfortable for kids and stressful for parents. However, babies rejoice. New Huggies Essentials are here, a brand new dermatologists approved line of diapers, wipe and pull ups training pants, all designed with baby sensitive skin in mind. The Skin Essentials diapers feature the skin protect liner and help protect against the top two causes of rash by managing moisture and running mess. The wipes are thick and have zero harsh ingredients for a great, gentle clean pull up. Skin Essentials has got your big kid covered too, with a training pant that's ultra soft and breathable to help protect sensitive skin throughout potty training. Learn more Huggies dot com. Once again hug Head to Huggies dot Com to learn more all right demands before we get to our game and to the Caitlin Clerk discussion. I am going to this is I this is my Father's Day present to myself is doing this segment on the air because and any father out there, any parent out there of a young kid, I want you to know. I'm gonna use the quote that I've used before. John Lopez, my old radio partner in Houston, one of the best human beings I've ever met, told me when Deanna was born. The day Deanna was born, every age is the best age. And he had kids that were at that point, one in just started college, one was finishing college, and one who was I think you're right, Jacob, his oldest son, was how old you are?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 2: You know what I mean? I think he is. I think Jacob was like twenty five twenty six at the time, and his point was, there isn't a best age, It's just every age is the best. And so I am now I now am a full believer in that philosophy. And nothing made me feel it more than when I got Demanse's Father's Day present to me, and so I so, and I loved it demands before I even opened it, because you and I, in so many ways are the same person. So first of all, America, I'm going to cover this. It came in a Priority Express overnight envelope, which this costs thirty dollars. Thirty dollars because much like how I am, instead of going to the post office three days early, went the last possible minute and then felt a real twinge of guilt. I am certain when you saw, like, wait, when will it get there? If I pay I if this cost me fifty cents, when will it get there? Well? Not on time? What if I do the two day shipping, which America always do the two day it's sometimes cheaper than ground anyway, and it really does get there in two days. Oh, the two day will cost nine dollars. Well, damn it, I think that's gonna be late. What will overnight cost? Overnight's gonna be thirty dollars? All right, screw it, I'll pay it. That is what without knowing, that's what happened. That's what happened. So I got this and then in it is a great card that I won't read, but it is a great card. But also in the card is fifty dollars cash and an Apple gift card. And I will read one little line which says at the end of it, we should be even, and then some on the clash bill. And that is for because demon'say, once upon a time rolled up quite the charges on Clash of Clans on my Apple account, and might occasionally still roll up a few five dollars charges via Clash of Clans. So he was like, you know what, what do you get the man that has everything? How about I pay him back for some of these iTunes charges that started when I was about fifteen and still occasionally show up and so much appreciated. I will put this Apple card on the account. But it made me so happy seeing that it was an overnight thing and then all of it would go ahead. It made me so happy.
Speaker 3: Pal, love you, Pop's Happy Father's Day. You got that on it? You got that Sunday? You got that Saturday night or Sunday? Right, you didn't get it. You didn't get it yesterday? Did you get it yesterday?
Speaker 2: Unfortunately you paid the thirty dollars and it came in the morning. I know you're mad, I know you're I know you're mad. That was the other thing. You paid all this extra to make sure it would get there on time, and they still fried you. They still got it to me on Monday, but go ahead.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it was funny because we had we had talked in like you had you hadn't said anything about it, but I thought it was just you forgot to mention it.
Speaker 4: So you did so.
Speaker 3: Uh that that iTunes gift card, don't try to put it into your phone.
Speaker 4: I mean going to the Roffs.
Speaker 3: There's been a lot of fraud on the iTunes cards, so they don't put money on them, like you can't literally you literally can't buy them. I put that in there so you would also like know that.
Speaker 4: That was what was fun to.
Speaker 3: Understand, Like the encrypted we should be even on the clash bill, but that was just like basically set up like this is what that's for.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, all right, well that's good. It also means it also means that the present was half of what I thought it was. I thought it was one hundred dollars, but it was fifty. Because this does say something, but now I get it. So this is an unactivated Apple card to sing I couldn't activate us. I got you to signify the fifty dollars cash is for the clash of clans. Okay, so be it. That's fair. I also I the I that makes me happy actually because I said, because I opened it in front of your mom. And your mom's so funny. She's like, he's such a good boy, like he's twenty five years old. I don't know if good boy is the way we should be phrasing it, but but I said to her, I was like this too much. I was like, this is one hundred and thirty dollars you spent on father's And I was like, the guy, this guy's working hard for his money. So that makes me feel a little bit better. Okay, let's get to Caitlyn Clark.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 3: So Caitlin Clark is trending again after the hard foul that Angel Reese gave her. She kind of clocked her in the head, looked like she was going for the ball. Ye, honest mistake, but the flower the foul was upgraded so flagrant and even seeing n covered it. U do you think that this, uh that this is good for Angel Reese and Caitlin Clark's rivalry.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean it's good as long as it doesn't mm hmm that screw it. Listen, folks, I gotta we gotta have a to steal a line from poker player, uh Jaffy his dankness on Twitter. We gotta have an uncomfortable conversation, all right, Uh, because folks that are trying to chase social media fame or dollars are using Angel and Caitlin Clark as race war centuries to try to fan the flames and get people angry and really make it to where if you support Caitlin Clark, you don't like black people, and if you support if you don't, if you support Angel Reese, you are signifying something about how you feel about Caitlin Clark's coverage. And it is transparent what's happening. And it is also working to the point to where here's an anecdote for you, Demansey. So everyone, not because I think it was so profound, but just it will better inform this discussion. If you get a chance, go to my Twitter and watch what I said on TV about the flagrant foul, which wasn't really anything about the flagrant foul. It was actually just about the basketball. Because I look at I always kind of look at the take landscape and I try to see I'm like, where is Where's their available real estate? And I'm like, Oh, there's a weird thing happening with the WNBA, which is it is being discussed more than ever, and yet I haven't heard anyone make the point. The Fever actually have won after starting zero to five, They've won five of their last ten, three of their last four. They're not playing back to backs anymore. They are currently in the playoffs if they started today. And you know, nobody's talking about the actual basketball of it. So I'm like, oh, that's available real estate. So I'll plant my flag there because I think it's interesting and if people want the actual basketball part of it, maybe they'll think of me, and first things first, that we have interesting things to say on it. So the reason I say everyone should go watch this clip is because I just talked about the basketball of it, about how Angel and Caitlin have been the two best rookies by far, that they're holding up their end on the basketball court, that Caitlin is one of two players in the league averaging at least fifteen to five and five one of seven players in the league that is in the top twenty five and points, rebounds and assists and that, yeah, that is a that's a flagrant foul inasmuch as intent doesn't matter if you hit him in the head. So I don't think Angel was targeting Caitlyn's head. But I think the way the rule is written, forcible contact to the head, even if it's part of a basketball play, is a flagrant one, not a flagrant two, but a flagrant one. So I don't think Angel was out of luck. I also think it was a flagrant. I also think it's pretty clear that that is a real, real rivalry. My old speech impediment just caught up to me for the first time in a long time, something people may or may not know about me. I used to not be able to say my r's or my l's, so words like real and rivalry or world anything with an R and an L together. Rivalry is a tough one. We got an R on the front end era for that. Except for that and then real rivalry, I was, I mean, all of a sudden, I flashed back thirty years to speech therapy try to get it together. I was like, how do you do that one? But uh, they have a real rivalry Okay, that's good. I have heard for so long. You know what's wrong with the NBA. Everybody's two buddy, buddy, these girls ain't They had a rivalry in college. It is extended to the pros it it's great. And do are there underlying racial dynamics to it? Yes? There are, even if for even if there isn't for either one of them specifically, they exist. The coverage the Iowa women's team got after losing to the LSU women's team, the coverage the LSU women's team got, you know where. They tried to invite the Iowa women's team to the White House as well, even though they hadn't won the title. The way the LSU women's team was painted compared to the Iowa women's team last year, there, of course, race played a part in it. You would be insane to act like it didn't, Okay, but you have to be able to acknowledge that and then also acknowledge that Caitlin Clark is excellent. This idea that she is some white girl media creation, like as if she is some on a corner coova of old reference of the WNBA is belied by the fact that games are played and she puts up numbers and she is now contributing to winning. And then if you wanted to act like Angel Reese is more celebrity than player and she that is belied by the fact that she is averaging the second most points of any rookie in the WNBA, only to Caitlin, and the most rebounds of any rookie in the WNBA. They have both been excellent. So here's why this whole thing has gone off the rails. And this was the point I was gonna make to you, and I interrupted myself three times. That was a classic meme moment. I went on like six tangents within my own point. The reason I said watch my clip from yesterday is my clip is just talking basketball and people demands slid into your mother's DMS saying, essentially, I hope what your husband said about Angel Reyese yesterday opened your eyes to how all white people really think about us like a real Hey, he's not on the right side on this. And when it comes to this topic, everyone is exposing themselves. And the reason that was even worth mentioning is because I believe the social media bad actors and the media in some ways and some of our politicians have succeeded in making this where you must pick aside along racial lines. If you want to present yourself as someone that is in favor of social justice and equality and causes that many of us have a longstanding history of being on the correct side of, you must then go on TV and say Angel Reese has handled everything perfectly and basically Caitlyn Clark is a whiny baby. Even though Caitlin has never complained about any of it. All she's done is say, it's basketball, we play hard. I like, I don't. I can't speak to the biggest Caitlin Clark fans. I can't, and a lot of might be out of their minds. But that's not tell me if you disagree with me. To Monsey, that's not Caitlin's fault. The fact that she that there are people who are now bad actors in the other direction who are saying she is being targeted because she's white, or saying that she was left off the Olympic team because there's an anti Caitlin conspiracy, which is really an anti white conspiracy. Those people are objectively insane, But that's not on her. I don't think that's on her when she has answered every question the right way, and I will not I personally will not allow these social media charlatans to win where they have made a clear obvious goal of making this be a racial dividing line pick aside. I think that's bullshit, and I think it's toxic, and I am here saying I think these two young women have either one of them handled it all perfectly if I were handling it for them, No, if I were. If I were handling it for Caitlin, I would have taken a more vocal stance earlier about her name being used for devisive purposes she eventually did. I would have done it a little earlier. And if I were handling things for Angel, I would have talked with her about, Hey, we got to decide do we want to be the villain or do we not? Because like there are at times it feels like she's straddling, Like after this last game when she there was a little bit of a the refs took control of the game, Like, that's not villain behavior. Villain behavior as I went for a block, Sorry, I hit her in the head. It's basketball, you know what I mean? Like owning it, owning it, So I don't think either one has handled it perfectly, but I wouldn't expect anyone in their early twenties with this level of scrutiny and fame to handle anything perfectly. But I like them both. They were both dope as hell in college, they're both being they are en route to being dope as hell in the WNBA and this whole thing where you've got And I never both sides things because typically when it comes to important issues, I happen to think one side is batten about nine hundred and the other sides batten about one hundred. So I don't like both sides of it on this one. I think there have been some very influential bad actors on both sides. There are obvious ones on the Caitland side of things, Nikki Haley, that stupid congress person in Indiana that was trying to pass a law related to Caitlin Clark. Those folks are obvious. And then there are folks that, to me, are more subtle about it, just clearly trying to turn, if you will, sections of Black America against Caitlin Clark, and I find it it is so disappointing. And so that's my take on This is more about how it is being covered and how people are consuming it. And I and I'm gonna add one other thing. The fact that people now get a check or a direct deposit if their tweets getting agement, I think is a wildly damaging phenomenon. It incentivizes in a way we've not just like oh, I can grow a following and then maybe sell it off one day, like Dove Climban allegedly did. But no, you get a literal direct deposit from Twitter, depending if you're you know, pay for the blue check mark or get the blue check mark, you get money in your account. It depending on how much engagement your suff gits each month. It it yes, correct, It just incentivizes bad behavior. It and there there's the banal bad behavior, which is one of those anonymous and the NBA aggregator accounts tweeting out oh man, the Sam Houser sweepstakes. This summer is gonna be bananas where you tweet things just trying to get dunked on like that. It's become a thing because you can get paid off that. But then there's way worse, which is, you know, trying to fan the flames of racial disunity. So I don't like it. I don't like it one little bit. So, oh my god, it's almost noon. Okay, well I've screwed up the clock once again. Quick break right back, What's Right? Welcome back in What's Right with Nick Right. In this episode of What's Right and Nick Right is brought to you by Huggy Skin Essentials. New parents are changing diapers all the time. While my kids are past diaper age, I still remember what it was like. It's not always pleasant, and it's made harder with surprise like diaper rash, which can be uncomfortable for kids and stressful for parents. However, baby's rejoice. New Huggy skin Essentials are here brand new dermatologists approved line of diapers, wipe, and pull ups training pan all designed with baby sensitive skin in mind. The skin Essentials diapers feature the skin protect liner help protect against the top two causes of rash by managing moisture and running mess. The wipes are thick and have zero harsh ingredients for a great, gentle clean pull up. Skin Essentials has got your big kid covered too, with a training pant that's ultra soft and breathable to help protect sensitive skin throughout potty training learn Moore at Huggies dot com. Once again, head to Huggies dot com to learn more. All right, let's get to a question that I wanted to get to last week but we didn't have time, and apologies. Maybe we'll do the same thing on Thursday with some of your questions from today. We've just been running late on all these shows and I have to get to TV. Demante, go ahead and read the question.
Speaker 3: I think Cooper asks or says Lucas Josh Allen. He's simultaneously their only chance and the reason they can't win.
Speaker 2: So Brent Hanks, great poker broadcaster, formerly great poker player, but he's lost his fastball considerably. Brent Hanks made this. He's a diehard Buffalo Bills fan. He made this comp to me and you can follow him on Twitter at Buffalo Hanks. Tell him that I'm talking about him. Made this comp to me months ago, that Luke is Josh Allen and I love one and crushed the other, and that I that I need to see the similarities on its face. I understand the similarities, which is wow. He does all these things well, but then also there are some drawbacks. He's not the best, but is he the second best? I get all of that. The way though he would be the comp would work is if Luca hadn't made this NBA final, and it was because he just keeps losing to the same guy year after year after year. That of course, is not Lucas story. That is, however, Josh Allen's story. So I understand the surface level comps, but not past that. By the way, speaking of poker, we're gonna do a pod Thursday. We are not gonna do a pod Tuesday because I'm gonna be in Vegas playing in the World Series of Poker, playing in a few events, programming update live on the fly. Found out. Yes, I didn't know that I was gonna be doing that because if there was a Game seven of the finals, I wasn't gonna be able to go. But no Game seven, which means I'm actually not on TV Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday because of the Euros. So instead of taking five days to rest and recuperate, I'm flying to Vegas to play poker. See you guys Thursday, See you on TV in about an hour with Colin see on my show in about three hours.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 2: Hey, thanks for watching. If you're still here, do me a favor. Hit the subscribe button, then hit the bell so you can be notified when we have new episodes. After you've done that, one more favor, go to your favorite audio platform of choice and subscribe there as well. Don't forget we're live every Tuesday and Thursday ten thirty am Eastern Ish ten thirty five, ten forty. It sometimes changes, but that's why you hit the bell. You hit the bell so you're notified. You subscribe so we can get to two hundred thousand followers. We're right around one hundred and fifty thousand. We'd love to get to two hundred thousand. Get demanday another plaque, so like subscribe rate, send a rating to do all that cool stuff. Thanks guys,