Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club. Cowboys, This is mick Shot, streaming live on dallascowboys dot Com and the official Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: After now Here are Bill Jones, Savannah Humuller, Everson Wolves, and Mickey Spagnola.
Speaker 3: And Welcome to Mickshots, presented by Miller Lte, the only beer of the Cowboys. It's Miller time, It's Mickey time. And here we are, the Monday after all, back together again, the Monday after what we must win? We will win. When is the name of the game? Where were you thirty five years ago? Last night?
Speaker 4: What the hell happened? Thirty five years ago?
Speaker 2: You got it? Just told you?
Speaker 3: Owner and head coach, February twenty fifth, nineteen telling me, Chris, I don't know what the hell he's talking February twenty fifth, nineteen nine. Walls your life changed.
Speaker 5: Well it was about Okay, that's the case. Yeah, you're right about that. If I know what it is now, you're right there, you go. Yeah, for the good though, for the good though, adventure.
Speaker 6: I was sitting in the press conference and yourself, where were you?
Speaker 3: I was in San Antonio actually working in San Antonio. I didn't come here until nineteen ninety.
Speaker 6: So they didn't ship you here for in Savanna Humuller, where were you.
Speaker 5: There?
Speaker 6: You got it of her parents, imagine parents.
Speaker 3: Yet yes whenever. In fact, I did not realize it was February twenty fifth until I looked at my watch and I saw I was a twenty fifth. This is your day. So it bought the Cowboys thirty five years ago yesterday.
Speaker 6: It was also Frank Lux's birthday?
Speaker 3: Was it really in his his which was a Saturday? So his birthday party got destroyed Saturday night at.
Speaker 6: Valley Bridge, although we did after everybody finished their stories, we reconvened in tech Shram's office. And you know the the weird part about the press conference? Did you happen to listen to it?
Speaker 3: Ever?
Speaker 4: Since I did not?
Speaker 6: It was it was no and I don't think it was live.
Speaker 3: I think it was well I was in San Antonio, but I assume it was carried by the local TV stations here. So it was a real that monumental moment.
Speaker 6: It was a real weird thing because on one hand, you had the Jones family kind of celebrate. It was a big deal, right, Yeah, although holding their breath because they just spent all their money to buy the Cowboys. And then next to it was tech Shram and it was like.
Speaker 4: A funeral, yes, right that I do remember.
Speaker 6: The twenty nine years that the you know, organization had been under one basically roof one coach, one nine years, one president earlier in.
Speaker 3: Jerry had or in the afternoon, Jerry had gone down to Austin to personally let coach Landry know that he's no longer the coach of the count And.
Speaker 6: There were all these people in the organization that had been there for twenty nine years, so that was not a celebration for them, no, and it was It was really a weird thing.
Speaker 5: And uh, I do remember text looking just looking like he was not doing well.
Speaker 6: I mean, if you think about it, he was in the main seat all the time and when the press conference began, he didn't have a seat. He was standing up right. So when we all finished eleven eleven thirty writing or whatever, we ended up in Texas office and we were he was at his desk, he only had a couple of chairs. The rest of us were sitting on the floor, right, and uh and Frank hadn't said anything yet. And then finally it was getting close to midnight. He goes, well, I better get up finish my birthday.
Speaker 4: My wife's waiting for me.
Speaker 2: It was midnight.
Speaker 6: She ain't waiting for you, But yeah, right, birthday.
Speaker 5: I just remember, you know, at the time, you know, the teams, as far as the players were concerned, Uh, they were kind of at that wits end as well. You know, just things weren't going well. Tom was trying to do his best, you know, to salvage whatever talent we had left.
Speaker 4: Don't come off three and thirteen season.
Speaker 5: You know, when when you have things going like that, then the front office you can see, you can see it happening from from the top down. You know, things were just going bad. They weren't making good decisions, we weren't playing well. Everything was obviously they didn't put a good product on the field. Much as we tried to be competitive, you know, you can it's not what they don't want competitive here, that's that didn't work for us. And you could just as players, we were like, you know, they they have to go, you know, the regime. You know, we were kind of like, hey, that's just the way it goes. Players get cut all the time. Even though as unique as this was, we were thinking it's time. We were thinking it's time, but a lot of players don't ever realize when it's time for them, then it's also going to be time for some of us as well.
Speaker 3: You can, you can put it in today's terms, probably what was going on in the last couple of years in New England with Bill Belichick. It's time.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so how did you find out?
Speaker 4: Uh, you know, it was all over the news.
Speaker 6: It was all over them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's how you found out.
Speaker 5: There was somebody saw it, someone somewhere else, and they all kept me.
Speaker 3: And the story had broken a day or two before. In fact, it was Tom Murray at Channel five who broke the story on this. Uh, Jerry Jones from Arkansas, I was going to buy the Cowboys.
Speaker 6: And everybody was like, oh wait this guy.
Speaker 3: And then of course Jerry and Jimmy had dinner at MIA's. Yep, and Ivan mas Elgis from the Dallas Morning News just happened to be dining at MIA's that same night and knew Jimmy from I didn't know who that was with Jimmy probably but from covering college football. And then he called down to the Dallas Morning News and said, get me a photographer, and it was in the front page of the Dallas Morning News that morning.
Speaker 6: You think he had to go to Jerry had to go to a pay phone or in the restaurant to make that phone call.
Speaker 3: Now you can just get your phone out and take the picture of yourself.
Speaker 4: Well, every time we sound so old.
Speaker 3: Experienced experience, Well that's what you miss, Savannah thirty five years ago.
Speaker 1: I know the story.
Speaker 3: Huh, that's right.
Speaker 5: It was kind of you know, like I said, when he first came in, remember the excitement.
Speaker 4: I mean it was just, you know, he passed. It was past all of.
Speaker 5: The you know, cursing out the kicker and all of that. Way past all of that. We got into pre season. Everything was like very exciting. We were like three we were three and one.
Speaker 4: In pre season. O.
Speaker 7: But but the but initially and it was like whoa, we're gonna hey, thank god Jimmy and Jimmy are here.
Speaker 3: But initially the fan base was a lot of the fan base was in shock. In fact, was my sister. It was a long time Boys fan. I remember getting a call from her and she's I'm never gonna be a fan of that team again.
Speaker 4: No one wanted time to go.
Speaker 3: But then she was front row and center when they were written in the super Bowl.
Speaker 5: Well yeah, because just to be honest, the players they were not as.
Speaker 4: Heartbroken at all.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, you know, you could kind of you know, he's human, I mean, he was what could he do with us? We want that talented you know, you wanted to make miracles and you know, you like like Ron Spaine, you just to say you can't make chicken salad, chicken crap. So uh, that's what he was trying to do the entire time, and he just couldn't do it well.
Speaker 6: And you know, as truth be known, in that super Bowl that year, So it was the eighty eight season, eighty nine super Bowl was in Miami. Guest in the Cowboys suite at the super Bowl was Jimmy Johnson. Gil Brandt invited him because Gill had all the connections with all the college coaches and everything.
Speaker 3: So gilating that is made despite the owners for even if bum Bright's still the owner, right that if a move is made on Landry, that Jimmy would be a candidate.
Speaker 6: I don't know if it was coincidence or not.
Speaker 5: It was an odd time for Gil as well. Oh yeah, a lot of crazy stuff was going on with him. It was a tough time for well.
Speaker 6: And they kept him around through the draft and then he wouldn't leave.
Speaker 2: He too had to go.
Speaker 3: He wouldn't leave.
Speaker 4: Well, you say it right, man, He would not leave.
Speaker 2: He was kept out.
Speaker 4: It took him a while to leave his office. And I say a while about a week.
Speaker 6: So, well, he had to collect all his stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I could.
Speaker 3: Well to cont wrap up my story on my sister call and I said, well, you may be mad right now, but there about to get Troy Yeate minute quarterback. This team is about to get really good.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and then we end up it wasn't just Troy, but it was what's the other quarterback.
Speaker 3: Steve Walsh? And then the supplemental draft, which was you're trading away next year's one, and then they got but then they traded Steve Walsh and got multiple draft picks for him.
Speaker 4: How they did that, yeah, that's right, No idea how they did's right?
Speaker 6: Yeah, that was my answer to the Trey Lance question last week. He was like, well, we wasted a fourth round pick on Trey Lance. I said, well, how do you know I had even been to training camp or had a practice with the real team. I said, And what if he gets to pre season and he plays well and somebody gets a quarterback hurt and they go, oh, we'll give you a second from him.
Speaker 4: You never know, you never know.
Speaker 6: So but yeah, you know, it's funny because when I saw it was February twenty fifth, I'm going, why do I got to remember this date?
Speaker 2: It was like, do I have a bill due that I got to pay?
Speaker 6: Right edited dawn Dog, It's like, oh, it's Frank's birthday, the late Frank, Uncle Frank.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, spinning it towards twenty twenty four, and we're spinning very closely towards the new year. We are two weeks away today, two weeks away from the start of free agency, and NFL teams convening today or yesterday in Indianapolis for the combine, which actually we don't look at it on TV on the NFL network until later in the week. But I think the linebackers are the first ones in today.
Speaker 6: They didn't care about showing the linebacker They don't all the behind the scenes stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh yeah, yeah. By the time. The workout is the last thing they do, the position groups, and.
Speaker 6: So testing is it testing to starts today? Yeah, and we've already seen a couple of quarterbacks not gonna throw, including Heisman Trophy winner Jadon Daniels.
Speaker 3: And Heisman Trophy winner Caleb Williams.
Speaker 8: Yes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which, by the way, I.
Speaker 5: Am, I am. My football presence is just not there today. I just feel like, I just feel like the football season was so long ago.
Speaker 3: You need your big green notebooks gotten bigger, and look how empty it is right now. That's gonna fill up. This is this is the big green NFL draft scouting notebook which I was at spring training last week. I was said, baseball on my mind all week, and today I opened up my big green notebook and started filling it in.
Speaker 6: Which, by the way, having said that, it's a really good story on Evan Carter.
Speaker 3: Thank you, thank you, and the Cowboys need to find some Evan Carter's in this draft. Ye star for the Texas Rangers at twenty one years old, got called up in September last year and had a parade in Elizabethon, Tennessee. Jason Witten, I forgot about that, huh.
Speaker 6: Two great athletes out of that little town.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's amazing. What was second?
Speaker 6: Oh and I saw Nate Newton got invited inducted into the Texas Black Hall of Fame.
Speaker 5: This weekend Sports Hall of Fame, Sports Sports, Texas Black Sports Hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: Well maybe the other one too.
Speaker 5: That's a big Texas Black man right there. You got a you know, sports sports hall.
Speaker 3: Okay, I need to go to your Wikipedia page to see if you're already in the Sports Hall Fame.
Speaker 4: Okay. Matter of fact, I spoke for the class.
Speaker 3: So you're a Hall of Famer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, several, No, but I recalled.
Speaker 5: That was very cool for us because uh uh I spoke for the class and part of the guys that went in was the nineteen fifty three class from Prairie View, A And m well, my dad was a part of that class.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 5: But he didn't finish He didn't finish college. He had to come back home after being so cute with my mom. He had to come back home raise a kid, right, So uh but those were all his friends and so uh yeah, I called him he could he couldn't make it.
Speaker 4: He wasn't doing well. So I called him that night and all the guys you know, said hi to him and everything like that. So that was very cool.
Speaker 6: Which, by the way, I don't think I mentioned it last week because we didn't have the show on Monday.
Speaker 4: We had it on Tuesday.
Speaker 3: That's when I missed it.
Speaker 6: I did, Yeah, I did. I hadn't done before I went to the Davy O'Brien Awards banquet, Uh, Jaden Daniels LSU coach. Uh. And they induct a legend every year also and it was Danny White.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I saw that.
Speaker 6: I saw that, and so I had a good talk with Danny there.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 6: It was good to see him. He's got his his adult daughter, Heather Kennedy. They're working on a book and he's got a book coming out in June, Spotlights and Shadows. It's titled Yeah, so got to talk to her about it. Uh yeah, right. But anyway, they they induct a it doesn't mean he had been a Davy O'Brien Award winner. That just somebody that had played well in college, uh and went on into the NFL.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: In fact, they didn't have a Davy O'Brien bay because he started Arizona State.
Speaker 6: His seventy four would have been his his draft class, so seventy one, seventy two, seventy three, and one of the things we years ago, Wow, if we think about it, the Arizona Republics Go, the newspaper in Phoenix, selected him as the Arizona Athlete of the Century of the century.
Speaker 3: Wow. You know. He went to Arizona State on a baseball scholarship to play baseball for Bobby Winkles at Arizona State. Remember Reggie Jackson played at Arizona State and so and.
Speaker 4: Then ended up playing football.
Speaker 6: He wound up playing football, right, Franks Cush.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Frank Cusher's the football coach.
Speaker 6: Three times, won the Western Athletic Conference three years in a row, won the Fiesta Bowl three years in a row. He left college and I didn't know this too. I kind of read his bio as the nation's leading career passer at that time from for yards. So he was. He was awfully good. And then signed the personal services contract with Memphis of the World Football League, and the Cowboys just took a flyer on him because he had already done it. So they said, okay, we'll use a third round pick on him and see what happens. And see oh, I said, Yeah, it was.
Speaker 3: The WFLAH World Football League.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's it's so weird when you.
Speaker 4: Hear of all the accolades that he has.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and when he came here, it didn't mean jack, you know, because you got he was the punter. Yeah, I mean, you know, it's just lets you know, when you you can have all those accolades, but then when you get to the pros, you know, no one even thinks about that. All they know is he's a number two quarterback behind by.
Speaker 6: Just and rarely had to play. But he punted. Got a super Bowl ring.
Speaker 5: All around the athlete, right baseball, all football and a punter.
Speaker 3: That's a lot of skill.
Speaker 4: That's a lot of skill. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I liked about What I liked about him was he rarely punted. You know, they had to look out for him. He would take off a lot and that there were many games where that really helped us. You know, it really did help us out on that that fourth down and he picks up that fourth down, we continue our drive. He did that so many times. We don't punters don't They just don't do that?
Speaker 4: Now? Can they do that? Is it?
Speaker 5: Because the rule is that what the way that they tea well, nowadays punters don't. They don't fake the punt and run as much as did. Danny did that a lot. That was well, now they got the ass and the rugby guys coming in as kickers, and they can run the ball where they used.
Speaker 3: To think about what a threat that is a punter when you've got a three time All American quarterback punting for you well.
Speaker 6: And the other thing that used to happen back then was the quick kick, like if you weren't getting anywhere and you were at third.
Speaker 5: Down and you have a quarterback from the from the side, so you gimp go.
Speaker 6: Forever forever, right. Danny's funny story. He told me this long time ago. So when he became the starting quarterback in eighty he was still punny uh and eighty one skilled punny, right, And he'd go to Gill every year and say, you know, I'm doing both. Don't you think I should get a raise? Gil goes, yeah, yeah, I'll talk to Tom. Well I think three years after Yeah, yeah, I've talked to Tom.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 6: Gil told him you should go talk to Tom.
Speaker 2: So he goes in.
Speaker 6: And he goes, you know, coach, he goes I'm the starting quarterback, but I'm still punning. And I was wondering, you know, maybe I can get paid a little bit more because I'm doing both and he said. Tom looked at him and goes, well, Annie, you know when I played, the more you could do to help the team, the better off the team was.
Speaker 4: And he was like, what do I say?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 5: Because the BS coming from the coach's office was just thick all the time.
Speaker 4: I was waiting to hear what he was going to say. What else could.
Speaker 5: And Tom would always say, oh, I don't know anything about contracts. I have no idea. Okay, Tom, Yeah, they played it so much, man, it was ridiculous. I was waiting to hear what he was going to say.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he made him.
Speaker 2: He left him speech.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, what can you say that? The conversations with Tom was so brief.
Speaker 5: I don't remember anyone really having a long conversation as far as player the coach with Tom.
Speaker 6: Langer the eighty four season.
Speaker 4: That's the first year we didn't make the playoffs.
Speaker 6: Right, And I think there was a maybe there was a game after I'm trying to remember why I had to call him at home after a aim and I think maybe it was before your final game.
Speaker 4: It was because we were already you.
Speaker 6: Had a chance, but somebody won. I don't anyway, it was like, yeah, here's the phone number. We set it up, so I called him at home. I had only been here three months, so I called him at home and he comes to the phone and maybe we talked three minutes and he answered the last question, which would have been the last question, and he goes, okay, just like that, No, Tom, I've got another question.
Speaker 5: Tony Do said, says that when he says okay, Yeah, he said that many times.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: I think I heard that interviewing.
Speaker 4: Him and.
Speaker 3: He would say okay.
Speaker 5: Because everyone wanted to do an expos on him, and he's like, I don't have time for this guy.
Speaker 6: People didn't realize during the season he would do a press conference after the game. On Tuesday, they would have their press conference, and he'd do the print media and the television radio media separately, and they'd have lunch. We didn't talk to him again until Friday, after the last practice, as he was walking to the coach's locker room.
Speaker 4: That was it.
Speaker 2: That was the only opportunity to him.
Speaker 6: Unless you had something you could call Barbara Anderson remembers he was his executive assistant and say, hey, I got one question for Tom, and you could call and he would.
Speaker 4: She would get him.
Speaker 6: On the phone.
Speaker 2: But that was it. That was it.
Speaker 6: So when Jimmy got here, we got him every day.
Speaker 3: It seemed like he didn't know what the protocol was. Yeah, right, all right. One other thing to wrap up the Danny White conversation, and can you name another punter in the National Football League who also was a quarterback and was a third round draft pick. He was a Pro bowler at punter and a Super Bowl champion at punter and also played quarterback in the NFL, A third round draft pick, just like Danny White was.
Speaker 4: You know, you didn't say a particular team.
Speaker 3: I haven't I got I can give you hints. But he played, he played. He played in college at Ohio State. Blank stares Tom Tupa. That's the other one.
Speaker 4: Phoenix Yah won.
Speaker 3: A Super Bowl. He was the Tampa Bay Buccaneers punter when they won the Super Bowl in O two over the Raiders, And.
Speaker 5: He was the callon punter and quarterback. When me and Jimmy got into it, you go right.
Speaker 3: There, you go all right when we come back here on mixed Shots, it's Tails from Vail with Savannah Humoler in just ah like that.
Speaker 9: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, and they snapped.
Speaker 3: The fresh guy who looks white, it's not there. He escapes flapped.
Speaker 2: He'll look full a pump stown.
Speaker 3: Just like football.
Speaker 9: When it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade crypto currency.
Speaker 3: Prescott's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 9: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered.
Speaker 4: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 9: Get started at blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 10: We know that juicy, cheesy, grilled to perfection burger sounds amazing, but it does sound like something is missing. Pepsi baby the yin to this Burger's yang. Burgers and pepsi go together like well, like burgers and pepsi. This perfect blending of flavors makes every bite of lettus, every sesame seed on the bun, and every sip of that crisp, refreshing ice coold Kola A journey to Fotopia.
Speaker 3: Burgers better with That's what I like.
Speaker 11: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America.
Speaker 4: It's being built.
Speaker 11: Right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 8: Did you know that responding to one spam call can lead to more? Or that the IRS would never ask for your Social Security number on the phone? Beat scammers at their own game by subscribing to AARP Fraud Watch Network alerts and texts. At AARP dot org slash Beat Scammers TX, you can sign up to receive information that helps you recognize and avoid the latest scams. That's AARP dot org slash Beat Scammers t X.
Speaker 12: Mixed Shots, k Post Roofing and Waterproofing, the official roofer of the Dallas Cowboys in.
Speaker 3: Mixed shots presented by Miller Lite. The only beer of the Dallas Cowboys continues now tastes great? What do you say? More less feeling? All right? We got to hear the tales from Veil asales from l was very excited coming in here because you just got back from Vail, Colorado. Is that right?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: And there are cowboys stories from Veil.
Speaker 12: I have a cowboys story from Vail, Colorado. And mind you, I texted Mickey at the time too, so he's all aware of what's going on. You guys haven't heard this. But last Wednesday I went to Vail with my dad and sister flew in, went skiing for the day. Thursday skied for the day, and then Thursday afternoon, my dad and sister and I we always go to this restaurant called the Veil Chop House. And there's this guy he's partially an owner of the restaurant. He puts on a show at the restaurant. He's like a one man band.
Speaker 6: That's that guy Pill Long long time ago, yeah.
Speaker 3: Phil Long.
Speaker 12: He's amazing one man band, keyboard guitar, sings, He takes all these requests and he just puts on a show for people for three hours. So we go in, we sit down at our reservation. I'm sitting next to my dad and I look over and I'm like, I'm pretty sure that's Brandon Aubrey. And Brandon Aubrey was there with his wife, his mom, and dad, and so I guess the dad also knows Phil Long, the singer, and so Phil eventually calls Brandon up to the stage and says, I want everyone in the restaurant to know this man is the kicker for the Dallas Cowboys and just exactly just tells the story of his time in his first year in the NFL and how well he did for the Cowboys, and the whole restaurant gave him a big standing ovation and everyone started coming up and taking pictures with them, and so obviously I was like, okay, well I'm going to go say hi to Brandon. And I was like, okay, I'm obviously Savannah. I've chatted with you in the locker room a few times work on the media side, and he was like, oh my gosh, it is so great to see you. For the record, I am not skiing. He was not skiing here. He was making sure he was.
Speaker 2: Just funcase.
Speaker 12: You're in the boot, you can't be in the boot.
Speaker 2: I had heard before.
Speaker 6: She let me know that he was a veil going skiing, and everybody in the scouting department was holding their breath right because they thought he was actually skiing.
Speaker 12: He was, in fact not skiing.
Speaker 4: Told us he is not skied.
Speaker 2: He was not lying. That's what I wanted to check boots exactly.
Speaker 4: No, but it was.
Speaker 3: It was awesome just there.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I like that.
Speaker 5: So we used to have like thirty plus off season basketball games track in the day, nobody cared Dorset was with US player on the team.
Speaker 2: Guys used to travel all the time, all over the state.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's crazy now you can't even if you but Mahomes didn't need like dunkle basketball one time or something, and everybody had a fit because like, what are you doing on the basketball?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Like what are you about the NBA celebrity game other boys? Yeah, talking about dunking and basketball.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he made that look easy, didn't Huh. That's crazy? What an athlete? That's ridiculous.
Speaker 3: So do you think if he devoted time to basketball that he could play in the NBA?
Speaker 4: I think he could not necessarily.
Speaker 3: I didn't watch the celebrity game. I watched him play basketball. I just heard the reports.
Speaker 4: He's seven points.
Speaker 5: The highlight of his defense will probably put him on the mark is smart, We'll put him on.
Speaker 4: That's way right. He will be. He will be on someone's team because of his attitude.
Speaker 6: He'd probably fall out.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, that's what they were using for it. I mean, he'd be that guy.
Speaker 6: Since we went back, we also should mention Golden Richards passing away. Yes, played with the Cowboys from seventy three to seventy eight. He had got diagnosed with Parkinson's disease about five ten years ago. But he died of congestive heart failure in Murray, Utah.
Speaker 4: And that's why it was.
Speaker 6: He was a b YU guy before he played in Why I think he's from Utah. Yeah, he went to high school. It was I think close to Well. I think it was in Murray. That's where he ended up. Going back. What I didn't realize about him, So we all know about the touchdown catch in seventy eight from Robert new from Robert Newhouse, the Super Bowl twelve, the seventy seven season twenty nine yards. What I didn't realize is two seasons with the Cowboys, he averaged twenty one point five yards and twenty one point eight yards a catch a catch, so he was quite the deep threat during his career.
Speaker 4: That was when we signed Doug Donnelly.
Speaker 5: Everybody had flashbacks, white lightning, white lightning. We were pretty happy to have him because we just knew he was going to be another Golden Richards.
Speaker 6: Mike Renfro too, he wanted to speak.
Speaker 4: It wasn't it wasn't the same number. First of all, Doug was eighty three.
Speaker 5: Okay, yeah, okay, it wasn't just because he's a white wide receiver.
Speaker 4: Racist.
Speaker 2: Well, they're not supposed to be fast.
Speaker 4: It's not where we are but Texas.
Speaker 5: No, but uh no, Doug just had injury problems, but we we had some high hopes for him. Rainfrow used to be fast and he hurt his knee. Remember before his knee surgery, well more than one knee surgery.
Speaker 4: He was pretty fast.
Speaker 3: Run in the family, Renfro and then his son.
Speaker 4: His son was a help of player actually track at t c U.
Speaker 6: I ran into both of them at the Davy O'Brien Award dinner. But anyway, yeah, I thought we'd point that out about Golden Richards had the greatest terror ever Golden locks.
Speaker 4: Yes he did, all right, so what uh what?
Speaker 3: Wow? Look at that legal pad. He has been filling up that legal pad right, whats on Mickey's legal pad? Right now?
Speaker 6: Do you want to do it now?
Speaker 3: In the clock?
Speaker 4: We got time? So you're lucky we're here.
Speaker 2: The Cowboys got a huge.
Speaker 6: Benefit we're talking salary cap from the salary carry going up. It was projected to go up to two forty two five million this year from two twenty four to five last year. But when it got solidified at the end of last week it went, it increased nearly thirteen more million dollars than the projection, so it's now two hundred and fifty five point four million. So at the time when the projection was to forty two, the Cowboys were somewhere around I don't know, sixteen million over the cap. Well, now after the escalation, when it comes to the top fifty one players and that's what the cap hits at on March thirteenth, the Cowboys are really only about three and a half million over the cap. So that's an easy adjustment that they can make initially, and then you know, the full cap doesn't hit until the first week of the season, and you've got to include all fifty three players. So for the top fifty one, they're within reasonable distance to make some adjustments to be able to not only get under but have money to spend in free agency and the draft. So that was a huge benefit for the Cowboys at that time. Plus they had a ten million dollar rollover for money that was left over this past season, so their total cap would have been to sixty six point two million when they rolled that in, But they've got fourteen points seven million in dead money. And when it comes to that dead money, Zeke still counting six million and Tyron Smith will count another six million, So twelve of the fifth fourteen million is dead money that was created by those two.
Speaker 3: And Mickey takes a big o' sip.
Speaker 12: A lot of talk, a lot of money, a lot of money covers.
Speaker 3: Okay, then what was this about the coming out of the pandemic and the makeup money that is also applied for the money that where they had to cut back during the pandemic. There was also an adjustment adjustment.
Speaker 6: Most of this is because of the new TV contract that's that was the huge, huge deal, so you know, and so right now they've got to decide. I mean, their biggest decision is what to do with Dak. And everybody keeps pointing out the cap hit is fifty nine point four million, but his base salary is only twenty nine million. There's been restructure bonuses that you've got to account for. So they can reduce the twenty nine million by giving him a restructured bonus because there's two dummy year void years at the end of his contract, and they can get it down the cap hit to probably in the forty million, so that would create almost you know, nineteen million more or.
Speaker 4: Of space.
Speaker 3: So just to give you an idea on the cap and where it's gone the last four years, Yeah, okay, it was at the salary cap number in twenty twenty was one hundred and ninety eight point two million. After because of COVID it went down sixteen million to one eighty two five and twenty one, went back up in twenty two to two hundred eight million, in twenty three two hundred twenty four million, and now this time it basically doubled the increase of thirty million dollars to two hundred and fifty five million, and one of the reasons for that, as to answer my own question, the unprecedented thirty million dollars or increase per club in this year's salary cap is the result of the full repayment of all amounts advanced by the clubs and deferred by the players during the pandemic.
Speaker 4: Okay, so.
Speaker 6: They get a big bump, and Dak's not the only one, you know, I mean, it's the biggest one. But if you look at Zach Martin, because of restructure bonuses they've paid him, his cap hit is going to be twenty eight point five in the last year of his contract. By the way, he's got an eighteen million dollar base Same with DeMarcus Lawrence. He's got a twenty point four million cap hit. His base salary is only ten But because they restructured and paid him bonus to lower his base salaries, at some point the credit card comes due, right seed lamb. They really need to sign them to a long term deal. The fifth year option they picked up is seventeen point nine million, and so if you sign them to an extension, a long term deal, then you can reduce the cap hit for at least this year because they'll pay them a big signing bonus, and so you only need to give them the base salary, the minimum base salary. So they got some things that they can do to create money, because otherwise, if they didn't get that hit, they were going to be in trouble in free agency.
Speaker 3: Here's here's another example of how well the league's doing right now and eversin This is for you. Okay, the salary cap number is two hundred and fifty five point four million, four players on their roster right now, but each team is also getting an additional seventy four million dollars per club payment for player benefits, which includes performance base pay for current players and benefit fits for retired players. You're a retired player, so that affects you.
Speaker 4: I like that. So when do we realize that? Do you have that?
Speaker 3: Go up to Jerry's office. So the actual the actual player costs for twenty four, three hundred and twenty nine million dollars per club, or more than ten point five billion dollars league wide. That's how successful this league is doing.
Speaker 4: Let's kind of go back to the anniversary this year.
Speaker 5: What we were talking about do you think if Jerry would not have bought.
Speaker 3: The Cowboys for one hundred and forty million dollars.
Speaker 5: That this league would be thriving as it is right now.
Speaker 4: Can you point, oh, that's a good point to this, this acquisition.
Speaker 5: Can you point to Jerry infusing himself into the NFL.
Speaker 3: In the way we started reapproaching how they do business because of what Jerry.
Speaker 5: The owners, as much as they talk trash, I know that secretly they're like, he's good for the league.
Speaker 4: Great for the league, by the way. You know, Jerry's Jerry to me.
Speaker 5: But when it's I mean, but really you can you can not feel a certain way about somebody to still give him some love.
Speaker 4: When he came into the.
Speaker 5: League, everything changed, I mean the way that you the owners acted, you know, right, even though he's still a bit over the top as far as I'm concerned, but you know, he seemed to bring more interest to the league, and of course when the Cowboys started winning, that always brings more money to the league.
Speaker 4: But I think that how many years ago to day was it you said thirty five years ago? Today?
Speaker 5: I think that all the NFL owners were better off when Jerry Jones came into the NFL.
Speaker 3: I think that all the business part of it, and that's what I'm from marketing to merchandising to TV contracts.
Speaker 4: Even though he doesn't share, right, he's still and that the way they have it.
Speaker 5: He doesn't share is some of it, some of it, but it's still and they were they were mad about that.
Speaker 4: I remember the owners were mad about that. But overall, like the Nike deal, yeah, exactly too right.
Speaker 6: The Nike deal was ninety five when he and it was the Monday night opener, and he and Phil Knight walked out together.
Speaker 3: Right after the signing of Dion about the same time. Dion was right after.
Speaker 4: That, because at first it was Reebox, right.
Speaker 6: It was right after the signing of Kevin Smith.
Speaker 3: Right, and then Dion was signed after Kevin went down. And he's an opener against the giants whatever it.
Speaker 5: Was Rebok at first, and the Nike and then there was didn't the Solda. Didn't that have a didn't have a thing about the the Solda?
Speaker 6: Yeah, PEPSI versus Co.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and you know he went against the grain every time, right, and Miller lite this.
Speaker 4: So no. I just thought that was you know, very interesting.
Speaker 5: How you know, once it wasn't just with him coming in and the Cowboys winning. Then the NFL changed in the nineteen nineties and they never looked back.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 12: Sport COO.
Speaker 3: They release a yearly UH.
Speaker 12: Report of all the sports franchises for value, and so last week they actually came out with the results and now increased. Cowboys they are at nine point two billion dollars worth in value.
Speaker 3: New York Giants exactly.
Speaker 12: Giants came in at number two, seven billion, and the Rams at six point nine billion for number three.
Speaker 4: Well, the stadium, the stadium.
Speaker 12: Yeah, but Cowboys nine point two at the top.
Speaker 4: I thought Washington was in there at one point.
Speaker 5: I think they have with the issues that they had, right, Yeah, but before that they were up there.
Speaker 12: They're at number seven on this list at six okay billion, there you go, there you go.
Speaker 3: H oh. Yeah, we had another break, Yes we do. Okay, we got one more break and we continue with more mixed shots in just a moment.
Speaker 11: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 13: Cowboys Football and Miller Lite. What a pairing can Crack's a kickoff tailgates going way past postcar Sunday Night overtimes followed by Monday morning Swagger, Brisket and the Smoker. Miller Lite and the Creek, America's team playing America's greatest sport. Miller Lite the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys. Dallas Cowboys Football taste like Miller Time Celebrate Responsibly twenty twenty three Miliberal Company, Fort Worth, Texas.
Speaker 8: Did you know that responding to one spam call can lead to more? Or that the IRS would never ask for your Social Security number on the phone? Beat scammers at their own game. By subscribing to AARP FraudWatch Network alerts and texts at AARP dot org slash Beat Scammers TX, you can sign up to receive information that helps you recognize and avoid the latest scams. That's AARP dot org slash beat scammers TX.
Speaker 10: You know that sound anywhere is the crisp crunch that first nacho chip with its perfect cheese to sour cream ratios sitting atop a layer of delicious beans. It's a sip away from perfection. That's what we're looking for at a delicious, refreshing pepsi, and we've achieved absolute nacho nirvana, because while you can pile those nachos high with every spicy, cheesy, savory topping.
Speaker 3: There's no topping a cool pepsi.
Speaker 10: Finish nachos better with pepsi.
Speaker 2: That's what I like.
Speaker 3: To mixed shots.
Speaker 12: Register now for the twenty twenty four Dallas Cowboys Youth Camps, presented by Invisiline. Athletes of all skill levels, ages six to sixteen are invited to learn from the best this summer at the Ford Center at the Star in Frisco. Football camps are led by former NFL players, and dance camps are taught by the DCC Cowboys cheerleaders. Register before May seventeenth to save twenty five dollars. Visit Dallascowboys dot com slash camps.
Speaker 3: Next week in case she missed the show mix Shots presented by Miller Lyte, the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys. You had a special guest on the show.
Speaker 6: We did Cowboys video director Robert Blackvelt. He was black Girl joined Savannah and I.
Speaker 2: He was great.
Speaker 3: So you recommend that I go back and listen to it.
Speaker 4: Watch it.
Speaker 12: He came in, sat right there, and I'm sitting in my season and tune into his podcast as well.
Speaker 3: Real R E E L Football Stories.
Speaker 12: Yeah, he told us all about his show that he does, all the old stories.
Speaker 2: That he has.
Speaker 4: Did he say how long he's been doing it the podcast?
Speaker 2: You take a year and a half for like a year and a half.
Speaker 6: Yeah, oh yeah.
Speaker 3: How long has he been retired?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 12: Since twenty twenty?
Speaker 6: Twenty twenty was his last last season.
Speaker 12: I think it was February of twenty one he officially retired.
Speaker 6: So he's one of the few people here that worked for every one of the coaches, owners, CoA head coach, yeah, and GMS.
Speaker 3: So when did he start.
Speaker 6: Nineteen eighty eighty one off? Because he was he was he was an assistant before he became the video.
Speaker 12: Director and then he was telling us, yeah it was he forty seasons, and then he counted eight hundred and thirty five games.
Speaker 6: That he has filmed?
Speaker 3: How many draft picks?
Speaker 6: Because he was the guy that we talked about that, we talked about it the draft cards.
Speaker 3: I haven't I'm being very transparent here. I have not listened that. That's why I wanted to find out. Yeah, I need to go and watch this go. Yeah. Yeah, that's why I'm asking. Okay, all right, what's next on Mickey's.
Speaker 6: So? Did they make the additions other than Mike Zimmer before you guys went wherever you went?
Speaker 12: Yeah, because I don't think we've talked since Zimmer came. We talked Zim, right, I don't think we did, No, I think I think we It was the week two weeks ago, so yeah.
Speaker 4: I don't know. We talked about it though. Was it before our show? No, it happened after. So what do you think about I like it.
Speaker 5: He's a hard ass. That's what everybody wants. He's a hard ass. And you know, he did work well with the players back then. Let's hope it works with the players now. Yes, they're different now. Was the last time he was.
Speaker 4: Here twenty.
Speaker 6: Two thousand and six?
Speaker 5: Was his players a little different now, a little bit, you know, just like in school, students are different now, you know, you have to have, you know, more updated ways of motivating guys.
Speaker 4: And I'm hoping he can do.
Speaker 6: It well and let's make you know. He it's he's been coaching except for the last two years. And he kind of explained the uh idea that he was Dion's consulting. He was like, yeah, it's funny.
Speaker 3: Hell, something gets put on your Wikipedia page, this analyst and coat like your got your sleeves rolled up. You're right alongside Dion at Jackson State coaching Colorado calls. Right, it's like college. They're making phone calls to it. It's like it's like, Jimmy's now on the adviser that's right.
Speaker 2: How about that?
Speaker 3: Are people that eleven their news producers? Oh we gotta we got to do a story on that. Are you leading the sports cast with no Jerry just made a phone call to Jimmy and Jimmy jokingly said, I'm on his advisory board.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Now it comes.
Speaker 3: Headlines across the Sometimes you got Jimmy is now working for the Cowboys.
Speaker 6: Sometimes you you've got to hear, You've got to hear and not read it right because when I heard.
Speaker 3: It, he was laughing when he said it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So they made Zim though, So I called Campbo because Campbell's the one that got him here. They it's a it's a long involved story on how they met, but Mike and myself met nineteen seventy nine. He was his first coaching job out of college at the University of Missouri and he was a part time assistant and a guy by the name of Mike Price ring A Bell was the Missouri quarterbacks coach and wide receivers coach when Zim was there, and he got hired as the head coach in nineteen eighty at Weaber State, and he brought Mike along as his defensive back coach, who ended up a years later as his defensive coordinator at Washington State. At Washington State and Campbeo was out of work because he was working for Joe Avezano at Oregon State when they went under not under me Winless, and Campbell said, I just needed to find a job, and so he ends up at Weber because he and Mike Price were assistant coaches at Washington together. So anyway, Campbell got to know Zim and he said once he kept trying to get Mike here. He would come and visit, and when Switzerlan became the head coach in ninety four, they talked him into hiring Zim as a defensive assistant, taking care of the secondary and the rest was history. For what thirteen thirteen thirteen years or.
Speaker 4: Forgive it might have been. Mike Price.
Speaker 3: He was the head coach of Washington State, then at U Tip and then you'll have to.
Speaker 4: Google watch it. I know because he's Missouri guy.
Speaker 6: No, he he ended up at Washington, Washington as the head coach.
Speaker 4: Well, you act like everybody.
Speaker 12: Knows, you know, to Wikipedia, WeGo said, I think I have said three times that he was at Washington States.
Speaker 4: Not Washington.
Speaker 6: He got hard as the head coach at Alabama, right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: That where things went sideways.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry he didn't even coach a game. Wow, Okay, it.
Speaker 3: Was off the field incident during a brief That's why I said, Google, Wikipedia has.
Speaker 4: It all radar.
Speaker 2: Anyway, But that's how they got together.
Speaker 3: So I ended up there's calling thousands of hits on my Prices.
Speaker 6: Brought it up. Well, last time I told that story and I mentioned Mike Price.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I remember that. Then he wound up at UTEP.
Speaker 2: Anyway, I called Campbell, called Campbell that you know what.
Speaker 6: It was to ask him about Mike Price, I mean, uh, about Mike Zimmer and he said, yeah, he said, the good thing about Zim is if those guys need to be mf he will, yes, yes, but he will also put his arm around the guy and take care of him.
Speaker 5: So so the players trust him. Yeah, And it's not like, you know, he's going to be a teddy bear to him. He's really gonna, you know, tough.
Speaker 6: But he, as he pointed out in the press conference, he goes, but that's what players want.
Speaker 2: They want me to make them better, right.
Speaker 12: And he also even said in there he said, the players want to be coached, and the best players really want to be coached. And that's as true as it gets.
Speaker 2: You know, they got to work with him too.
Speaker 6: But he couldn't say enough of good things about him, and even Dion, I mean he you know, I mean that tells you what Dion thought.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, he's his confident Hunt. I love Mike Zimmer, just this time in Minnesota because he drafted my guy, Danil Hunter in the third round.
Speaker 6: Of the draft, right, yeah, and then they've also brought back Greg Ellis.
Speaker 4: Oh that's nice.
Speaker 6: I saw that he's going to be defensive assistant, defensive line assistant. But he told me when we ran into each other last week that he's going to concentrate on defensive vents.
Speaker 4: So remember I think that was Greg.
Speaker 5: He was standing outside the dorm and he was about he was checking in, he was bringing his stuff in, and he had the TV under his arm. I think it was Greg, and they talked, you know, so the you know, he's checking in, so the media's all day. The Cowboys come and train again and they interviewed Greg Ellis. Well, they interviewed him for about five minutes and he never dropped the TV.
Speaker 4: And that was crazy TV.
Speaker 2: Remember seeing this on TV.
Speaker 4: Trust me, guys, it's out there. He held onto that TV the entire interview and it was a big asses.
Speaker 7: Well it was you know, back in the day, so it wasn't one of these yeah there those, This was the tube TVs.
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah, and he was holding onto the rookie year would have been ninety eight and there were.
Speaker 3: No before high definition televisions.
Speaker 6: There was there was no TVs in the dorms. At Wichita at Midwestern.
Speaker 5: Okay, so you had to bring your own TV. He brought it and he was he was holding the entire interview. I think he may have started sweating a little.
Speaker 3: Bit, but well, yeah, because it was it was hot, but the TV was heavy.
Speaker 5: Though it wasn't because the TV was heavy. He just held on to it. He was just talking talking. Okay, guys. It was like okay, okay.
Speaker 3: That's where he made it his first impression for you man.
Speaker 4: This guy, this guy.
Speaker 6: That they make different TVs now in UH in two thousand, so it was my first year and I stayed at the dorm UH at Midwestern State.
Speaker 4: I should have done that with.
Speaker 3: My twelve pack of Miller like coke.
Speaker 2: Because I moved into the door.
Speaker 4: Makes the funny guy he's got the beer.
Speaker 6: I got the beer, moved into the dorm, and I said, oh, I'll go back and get that next day or two days later. It was so hot, which tall falls. It exploded in the back of my car. All the cans just exploded, diet coke.
Speaker 3: All over the place. I wouldn't think about what that does in your stomach where it.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Bill, Thanks Bill. That's what he means. Damn it, that's exactly what he means.
Speaker 3: Sure, it's over ninety eight degrees in your stomach.
Speaker 4: So that's why the kids went bad.
Speaker 2: It was one hundred and twenty.
Speaker 7: And there's tall falls. That was a waste of time. I thought, what the whole story about? No, no, nothing, Excuse me, Bill didn't know. We're wasting your time. No, I just made being out there.
Speaker 4: It was too hot. It was too hot to practice.
Speaker 6: Well, no, kiddy, it was just too hot.
Speaker 4: I was out there on my tent speed. I almost died. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Did you take part in the one hundred hell hundred?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 5: But I felt it because I I rode the highway from the from the hotel to the practice field.
Speaker 2: You did?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yeah, I was with Deocy oh channel, Yeah whatever I happen to him.
Speaker 6: Real?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I'll let you uh.
Speaker 3: You want to talk about the.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: They also hired Paul Gunther, the defensive run game coordinator, Jeff and.
Speaker 3: I don't know how to scanina.
Speaker 6: Scanina defensive line coach. And they just hired Christian Garcia as a defensive assistant.
Speaker 3: You don't seem real fired up about these hires, just the way you're expressing them you're you don't have a lot of energy in your voice. You're not a guess here, mickey, So do I.
Speaker 5: Need to, like, just so you know, I get paid by some guy who's standing outside and he's like, we need to wrap this up.
Speaker 3: So Jerry's outside, not Jim.
Speaker 4: Chris Scotty's out there like, hey, come on because he needs you. Yeah, I guess. So, I don't know. I don't know. He's think he's looking at me, maybe trying to look at Bill.
Speaker 12: I don't know.
Speaker 2: We get to go to noon and it's now.
Speaker 4: Here we are, it's high noon in one minute after that.
Speaker 3: Okay, So fast forward a week and Combine will be over next Monday, and.
Speaker 6: We'll have this and that notebook's going to be filled up and the uh mixed part of mixed shots won't be here.
Speaker 4: Oh what's up? What happened?
Speaker 6: I might just end up in veil, you know, man, you never know?
Speaker 4: Do you think? Baby? Do you think I like it? Y'all? Don't ask me questions. I'm not asking anymore.
Speaker 12: So we'll do We'll do our Combine show next to Combine show, and it will be also be our NFL Free Agency preview.
Speaker 3: So we're going to for agency starts the following Monday.
Speaker 4: We're going to allow on that book.
Speaker 3: Okay, next week, I got my homework assignment.
Speaker 6: That that that green notebook used to look like my notes I took in American history and right, little Wow.
Speaker 3: It's funny. Yeah, I got a minder now and everything.
Speaker 4: I think he liked that look. I think it made him look like he was doing more than he really was.
Speaker 2: Why green?
Speaker 12: Why can't we have a blue?
Speaker 3: Once upon a time, about fifteen years ago, I had for some reason, it was a green notebook, and someone said, hey, you ought to start marketing. This is your big green notebook, And so I wanted to go to the big Green Egg company and get a sponsorship, which never happened, but I just kept it in hopes that one day big it'll be the big Green Egg and I'll make some money off this.
Speaker 4: Anyway, No, that is not happening. That's really asked the question doesn't How the hell.
Speaker 3: I'm just happy to be green in one year green?
Speaker 4: The color green means something right, renew, I don't know, knowledge's.
Speaker 3: Right, spring is sprung, yes, you go, yeah, it's a color of spring. It's a color of money.
Speaker 6: The green book.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, we're out of time. We're pasted out of time. Here on mix Shots presented by Miller Lyte, the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys. It's Miller time again next Monday at eleven am on mix Shots, Go Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.