Speaker 1: The volume.
Speaker 2: Well, welcome in to Nightcap.
Speaker 1: Now we don't have hen O shall we got TJ and Rack wall that's Darren Waller taking over.
Speaker 2: We hijacking. We have taken over Nightcap. Me and my dog. So we're gonna be with y'all for the night. Barrett woo us. Now you know the highlights.
Speaker 1: We're gonna talk sports, We're gonna talk relationships and everything in between. I don't know if we'll really get to the relationships.
Speaker 2: We may.
Speaker 1: I'm a married guy. My dog I believe he's single. He was once married. So we were gonna get in everything. But with no further ado. I want to introduce uh Darren Waller, one of the best tight ends. It's crazy because his story and how he made it to the league, my story and how I made it to the league.
Speaker 2: It's one of a con It's one of a kind.
Speaker 1: So tell the people a little bit about yourself, your journey. You don't have to get too in depth with it unless you want to. But very very inspirational. Now did same what Chad? Oh, what Chad and Shannon be doing? Did this our version of a nightcap? So let's rock out? Yes, sir, no, not bus to be here brouh. My name is Darren Waller. For those of y'all that don't know me, I played eight years in the league. I retired just about a year ago.
Speaker 3: I played tight end for Baltimore my first three or four years before I got suspended for a year for drugs alcohol. All that came back into the league, got picked up by the Raiders, which is where my career kind of took off. Had back to back a thousand yard seasons, made a Pro Bowl, ended up my last year with the Giants, and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's been a fucking a while alright for me.
Speaker 3: Like I said, I was a drug addict, alcoholic, like full blown, you know what I'm saying. So I'm blessed to be alive, blessed to be you know, if had the career that I had and just to be, you know, thirty two, retired not having to worry about no bread or nothing like that.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: You got a lot of money. Let him know, I got I got that paper. I ain't worried about me.
Speaker 2: We are over here, he ain't driven over here. Yeah. Now, now.
Speaker 1: This is a perfect day, night, whatever you want to call it. So you know, my boy, retired because he on the bigger and better things and bigger and better things, and y'all want for everybody that's listening, y'all go get on. He gonna tell you what platform or song my boy make music? He rapping and he's just so happened to be dropping the song today, So y'all make sure y'all go stream his music.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Tell the people how'd you get involved and what made you say?
Speaker 2: Damn?
Speaker 1: This music has become therapeutic to me outside of the football around what came, what that?
Speaker 2: How that happened?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So the music for me, I feel like it really started with learning who my great grandfather was. He was a legendary jazz pianist, like old people like be running up on me like your fast Waller's great grandson. And once I really started to learn that, my parents had me and my sister playing piano when was real little, and I was in like band and shit in middle school, and so I really had a passion for music. But then it's like football clients started taking off in high school and college and all that, so I wasn't really worried about music for real, And once I got dropped to the league, I was bored my rookie year, like when we first got to the Sree Rookie camp and all that shit you in the hotel, and so I was like, fuck it, I'm just gonna start writing. And I always said I will start and just see where it went. So I was twenty fifteen. I've been putting out projects probably every couple of years since, and now I really feel like I'm really developing in my sound and shit for real, Like I really had some songs that, like, you know, people really starting to look like like damn, like all right, like I see what you got going on?
Speaker 2: And yeah, so we plugging tonight, cat fucked up. Let me get on here today. So we plug in this song. Yeah, telling the song what platform and they go stream that thing. Yeah, it's a song called Choose Myself.
Speaker 3: I'm dropping tonight at nine pm Pacific, midnight Eastern. It's on Spotify, Apple Music, wherever you stream at search my name Darren Waller.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be there.
Speaker 3: It's probably one of the songs I'm most proud of that I ever made, or that I ever probably will make.
Speaker 2: So I'm extremely excited for people to listen to. So go spind that.
Speaker 1: So Tighten You is taking place this week. Yeah, how many times did you attend?
Speaker 3: I think I went to the first two, first two or three because I went when it was.
Speaker 2: Just like it was infant stages, just getting going.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was like fifteen twenty guys. It was guys that were like starters on their teams. And then it starts. They gotta like they guys getting bigger backing because it was it went really well early on, so they have more sponsorships. When they started bringing like dudes who are like a third tight end on they team.
Speaker 2: Like everybody in the league could come.
Speaker 3: He just got drafted, you undrafted, free agent like whatever you were as a couple, dudes from college, like everybody could come. So and it was you know, weightlifting, route running, uh, you know, kittling and Kelsey nimboys. They get after it too, so they got like night activities going on. So it's a it's actually a really cool event. They do a really good job. They got Greg Olsen is there too, so they getting a lot of sponsorship, a lot of money, bud Light, Bridge Stone, like all these big sponsors putting it on.
Speaker 2: So it's a solid event.
Speaker 1: Is there one thing from your time there that still stays with you today, that that you got whether it was from Travis, Greg George, or just any other tight end that was there that you still remember that helps you on the field and also off the field.
Speaker 3: I would say just being around, like traving his energy and just how he approaches route running and just his craft. Like he's real, he's earned the right to be incredibly creative.
Speaker 2: Like we see him on TV. He just doing we'd be like, the fuck is he doing?
Speaker 3: But like he's earned the right to do that, and he's just like emphasizing like putting your personality into the routes that you're running, because a lot of dudes like you know, like do trying to make the team like whoever it is, they run robotic routes and lines on paper, whereas you know somebody like him, you put in your own flavor, your own sauce on them routes. Once you understand the details of him, it takes that ship to a whole another level and you making shit come to life that really might not even have been able to come to life just because of who you are. So I took that away and I was like, yeah, you really just got to like stand on who the fuck you are?
Speaker 1: Like, can we let's get into the real uh nuance of route running and coaching in the league. We're gonna we're gonna try to keep it a buck here as you were coming up. And I know for myself, did y'all type in coach teach you how to be a better tight end? Or did he teach you how to be a better football player? And now I know those things are married like, but running arounds and getting open? Did you learn that on your own other players, on your coach, Because I'm gonna give you.
Speaker 3: My opinion, so for me, yeah, so I grew up, so you gotta understand. Like I started playing offense in college at Georgia Tech. We were in a triple option, so we was blocking like eighty percent of the time. For real, I was an hour on a go A hits a post or something or they would be like like a play action crack post or something like that. But we weren't really getting that kind of route running teaching and technique there because I mean that's just what they was asking us to do. I got to Baltimore, I feel like my rookie year, my coach was Bobby Ingram. He played in the league for like a decade. Yeah, yeah, yeah, Seattle. I felt like he was giving us some game my rookie year. But then my second year they moved me to tight end, and it was like at the end of my rookiear, They're like, yeah, when you get back, we think we're gonna try you at tight end.
Speaker 2: So I was like that they ain't even tell me nothing for real. I just got on.
Speaker 3: YouTube and it was just like, man, let me see what that was back when zack Ers was getting like one hundred twenty catches a year, Travis kelse greg Osen, I was watching Tony Gonzalez, Antonio Gates like Jimmy Graham.
Speaker 2: I was just on YouTube.
Speaker 3: I was like, I'm just gonna do what they doing, like and my tight end coach like he was an old lineman in the league for a bit.
Speaker 2: Happens all the time. Bro. That's where I'm trying to go with this. It's like when.
Speaker 1: People think the NFL it's like the best of the best, best coaches, best players, but very rarely is a coach your position coach gonna get you better at your craft. You gotta do that on your own. No, that's facts.
Speaker 3: I look at teams now and you talk about like team, they like to talk about all the teams got to develop this player. It might be like maybe five teams that have people, if that that have people that can actually develop a player. They begging and hoping that you come in with with skills.
Speaker 2: And ready to go. Yes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like, and I think people don't realize that you get better on your own.
Speaker 2: Now. They will teach you football.
Speaker 1: You'll understand the game from a nexus and those perspective a lot better. But you know, they're gonna give you little technique things here and there, and if it works, they get all the credit.
Speaker 2: If it don't work, you suck. If it don't work, you suck. And you know.
Speaker 1: And so I tell off because I trained a lot of guys for the combine receivers and tight ends, and.
Speaker 2: I'm telling them, like, when you get to your team, it's.
Speaker 1: Not all the time, but ninety percent of the time, your coach ain't gonna tell you how to get open. He don't know, because if you're a receiver, you're a tight end. Your coaches are all life. And what the fuck he know about running a route? He don't watch somebody run around it like, and so that part of it is, at least with the NFL people, you really have to invest in yourself away from the facility and away from the team, and if you don't do that, your career short lived. And luckily for you, you're able to get on YouTube and see what the best you're doing and translate it. Because some people get on YouTube, watch them and get out there. Still fuck it up. They still gonna get out there and mess it up because they mine. They just they can't do it. So that that part of it not many people know about the league is get better on your own, or watch everybody else play be watching.
Speaker 2: Team, I'm better than him. He couldn't fuck with be.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, but that, and I think that's pretty much league wide at every position. I would say the old line probably get developed the most.
Speaker 2: The coaches really make them better.
Speaker 1: Outside of that, unless you got a Eric Yarboro with the Rams, Keenan mccardal with the Vikings, Sean Jefferson. I don't even know where Sean at now. But if you don't have one of them coaches, you in trouble. And if it's a receiver coach that I left you out, I left you out because you don't know what you're doing.
Speaker 2: Take you personally, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you got to get your bag deeper on your own. Like for the young pole that's watching, like you got to take into account. You gotta find you somebody you can work with in the off season, like ask the vest that's around you.
Speaker 2: Just really get into it.
Speaker 3: I guarantee you they got somebody like you really got to invest the nation on your own.
Speaker 1: And that's why when I brought up tight End You with we're getting better amongst our peers. Me and Chad have talked about doing the receiver aspect of tight End You. They kind of you know, y'all was our inspiration on doing that. We're gonna see where that go. Now let's get into Uh it's a couple of days old. But man, I'm sure you're an athlete. You watch a lot of NBA.
Speaker 2: Huh. Yeah. What were your thoughts? One?
Speaker 1: It was a great series, Yeah, but it was the least watch series in however many seven game series.
Speaker 2: First seven game series I believe in nine to ten years.
Speaker 1: But people weren't tuned in because it was an Indiana Pacer team and an Oklahoma City team.
Speaker 2: Small markets thought on the series.
Speaker 1: I believe if Holler Burn don't go down, Indiana may win that. And I'm going in really different tangents here. But the NBA, they gotta figure this Achilles injury out. Bro, Like, I don't know what's going on with these dude, Like so many of them are tearner as a kid. Is the lack of strength? Is it a lack of mobility? Is it too many games? Is it too many games at a young age and aau and the wearing's hair.
Speaker 2: It's so many variables and a lot to unpack.
Speaker 3: So let's go yeah, man, I mean shoot, starting with the series, yeah, I mean I feel like people put so much stress on the markets and I guess the average person that's tuning in wants to see a la in a Boston or New York and whatever. But you look at those two teams and you look at the series that we like, that's that's ball being played at its highest level. You look at the depth on both teams, like the character on both teams. You got so many dudes that are like fine tuned in perfect for their individual roles.
Speaker 2: Like it just creates that back and forth. I want to see shit go seven.
Speaker 3: I want to see Wars like you know what I'm saying, that's what that's what we got. And with Haliburn going down, like he was cooking in that first quarter in that game seven, So it's like that game definitely would have been completely different at least down to the wire in my eyes. So probably you could make an impact for a PACER's win. But yeah, Haliburton going down, and it's like you got guys going out there with the calf injury. When that calf locks up and you're trying to load up on that back leg, the calf's biomechanically, that calf is taking a lot of that force.
Speaker 2: You have many major injuries when you played, Like nah, not lower body.
Speaker 3: I had a torn label on my shoulder, but I just rehab that, had an off season kay the final month with it. But yeah, no major injuries for me for real. But that achilles motherfucker is crazy. Like I was around with Steve Smith Senior toward his achilles and he was trying to rehabit, and it's like one calf was humongous and the other calf was like like it was like non existent for a while, and just like the work he had to put in US. He's been watching toward his achilles too, so it's like that's a that's a major major, that's.
Speaker 2: Like damn near twelve months. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: When you look at Damian Littler, Okay, he's a little older, Jason Taylums young Halliburton's young KD tore his at in the dance age. So but shit, KD came back like it wasn't shit still balling. They just got to figure that out.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know what it is. If it's strength, mobility, I don't know. But for how La Burton, it sucks because boy was cooking three threes in the first quarter nine points. I'm like, oh shit, and I picked I had I picked Oklahoma City to win it, but I found myself rooting for Indiana. It was kind of weird. H But yeah, man prayers twin. I hope he recovers. He's probably gonna miss the entirety of next season because it happens so late in the season. But you think, Oklahoma City, do you think this is a start of a dynasty? Considering Alex Caruso is their oldest player at thirty one.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, I think He just gave like a great detail of just like how young the nucleus of that team is. And you look at young teams, you think like they could be flashy in a lot of areas, but there might be like some giant holes.
Speaker 2: They don't have really any holes for real.
Speaker 3: To the best defensive team in the league, they got Shaye League MVP J dubb as your number two score. He's taken over a couple games in the finals. Check Holmgren my D twenty every now and then. He's a rim protector. You got Heart and Stein setting screens, protecting the rim, catching putbacks and oops and whatnot. You got Caruso lead and playing defense. Blue dors a lot down the fens like you got from off the bench. Isaiah Joe led the team in three point percentag during the season. It's like, you have so many roles that are covered on that team. It's like, but I mean, that Western Conference is a motherfucker and teams are gonna be coming.
Speaker 2: So it's a.
Speaker 1: One team particular down in Texas. Actually two, actually damn three. The Rocket's gonna be better with KD. They gonna be a fucking problem. Yeah, they gonna be a problem. They got their closer now in KD. When Kyrie come back with the Mavericks, that gonna be a problem. And if Cooper flag, if he can acclimate himself to the INNdiA game a d Cooper flag. They just resigned Gafford, and then when Kyrie come they gonna be a problem.
Speaker 2: And then you got weinbyfaun.
Speaker 1: Castle the second pick, which probably is gonna be Dylan Harper.
Speaker 2: They't gonna be a problem.
Speaker 1: I'm a Laker fan, so we damn show gonna be a problem at least speakers cross playing. I hope we're the Western Conference is gonna be a blood bath. Go to State as long as Steph and Draymond there, yeh, they gonna all they gonna be a problem.
Speaker 2: It's so.
Speaker 1: A dynasty when people start throwing that word out there. I don't know, Denver with Yolkich and Jamal Murray they coming back, It just it's so much that has to take place for you to be a dynasty.
Speaker 2: But they so young that it's like, damn, I don't see why not.
Speaker 1: Shay gonna put up twenty eight to thirty two average every season as long as he's healthy. Can Chet Hongren Can he take the next step? Can he take the next step offensively, defensively? He gonna give you a rem protector. He moves his feet very well to be a big guy. And he's real thing.
Speaker 2: But he not.
Speaker 1: He not a punk like you got just dogging out like that, Like he looks like he can be dogged out. Nah, it's because he's so thin. You like, mamma, take his low ass down. You got dogging cheed holmegren out. And so from that perspective, they everybody has an opportunity and a chance to be that. I don't see it taking place. I just with the Rockets, bro, everybody stay healthy. I don't know how they lose. If you put a lineup of Van Fleet's point guard KD six eleven, Jabari Smith six', Teen sengoon six, eleven and who else Wes Amir, thompson there we go six. Seven she gonna do with that lineup and coming off the. Bench this is the crazy part with The rockets that not many people talk.
Speaker 2: About, one two.
Speaker 1: Three the third pick of the draft last, Year Reed shepherd got no burn the third, pick Cam more he comes to The. Lakers he, played he getting big minutes with me gott no burn and SO i look at The rockets, Like i'm, impressed and if they can stay, healthy now can kd? Uh and he, said it is not my responsibility to lead and to a certain, degree and this is WHAT i don't like about, Sports and we can tap into this. Too why is it that when you're the best, player that expects you to always be the? Leader sometimes the best player isn't that he don't have that leadership type of personality That god's ain't following.
Speaker 3: Him, YEAH i think when he SAYS i it's not my job to, LEAD i think he's saying it's not my job to lead in the traditional way that you think somebody's supposed to be a. Leader like as far as being like A Ray lewis type of, lead there's different ways to, Lead like he can just lead by his. Example LIKE i think the biggest Jumped rockets can take is like you get an Amen thompson attached To kd's hip day in the lab getting shot up and a'm And thompson devotes a jump shot that one might be a LEAGUE mvp at some, point you know What i'm. Saying, so but, YEAH i think there's so many different leadership styles and.
Speaker 2: Sports i'm one of.
Speaker 3: THEM i always thought, like, damn LIKE i can't be a leader even want to have to see on my. Chest i'm, like AM i really like a leader If i'm not giving the pregame speech and having everybody ready to jump out their. Skin But i'm more of the dude that's like the. Wolf the wolf leads from the back of the. Pack it's like we're not. Letting IF i see somebody, SLIPPING i see somebody's confidence, Dropping i'm gonna be the first one over there to, them telling them who they really, are telling them remember who they, are and like keeping their, mind keeping their chest, up you know What i'm. Saying so that's more the leadership STYLE i. HAVE i think THAT'S kd as. Well but, like, yeah you don't got to be that, raw, raw pregame punch a hole in the wall guy to be a.
Speaker 2: Leader were you? Were?
Speaker 1: You obviously from gathering what you're, saying you wasn't a, raw raw guy during the.
Speaker 3: Game, Nah i'm more So i'm talking LIKE i am right, Now like you can you can.
Speaker 2: Feel like did you talk shit to the defense during the. Game it took a lot for me to talk shit to. Somebody UH.
Speaker 1: A lot different, Then LIKE i was not Raw rob before the, Game like before a, Game i'm, Chilling i'm real, Calm, like don't come, here you know how you're getting a huddle on everybody walking up fucking. Head But i'm, Like, bro don't handle, me not had, Buddy i'm not jumping up in the pile before the.
Speaker 2: Game i'm. Not i've never did you? Ever have you ever?
Speaker 3: DONE i never did that one time activity, Bro, BRO i never did.
Speaker 2: It one time in my.
Speaker 1: CAREER i don't know what that ship is, like but guys used to do that all the, time so that that wasn't.
Speaker 2: Me but.
Speaker 1: When the game, STARTED i don't know what happened to, Me, Bro LIKE i would just go, Crazy LIKE i would talk shit to the. RESTS i would talk ship to the other, team LIKE i would. LISTEN i would listen to a lot of J zy before the, game and then right BEFORE i came, OUT i would turn On, Uh it's in the, air THE dmx Version Phil, collins the damn ex version of, that AND i don't know what it, Was. BRO i would just like IF i was playing, TODAY i would get thrown out BECAUSE i would go after rest so, much but back, then Like i'll never forget one.
Speaker 2: Line, judge he called a penalty on.
Speaker 1: One of our linemen AND i looked up at the jumbo tron AND i didn't think it was. Hold SO i said something to. Him this motherfucker was like fuck, YOU tj the. RAT i was like fuck and so we was just going at. It ten minutes later he came up to. Me were, GOOD i, said, yeah, yeah we. Good today's, Game i'm getting thrown. Out i'm getting thrown out and so that that to. Me but and a lot of my teammates would tell you, LIKE i let, him AND i didn't choose to be a. Leader as you can, See i'm a. TALKER i like to, talk and so guys, Like i'm gonna lead by. Example IF i feel you not working, Hard i'm not calling you out front, Everybody i'm gonna come put my arm around, you be, like.
Speaker 2: Bro.
Speaker 1: We all dream to get, here and now you acting like it don't, matter because if you weren't, here.
Speaker 2: You would be.
Speaker 1: Upset but you taken being here for, granted and so uh, yeah, man that that leadership. PART i don't believe it always has to be the. Quarterback it it always has to be the best.
Speaker 3: Player jack, described what you just described is, leadership like we have a picture what we think it is is like in the middle of the, huddle pregame.
Speaker 2: Speech but what you just described is real.
Speaker 3: Leadership how you bring somebody to the, side and that's WHAT i would bring the truth to, Them like that's.
Speaker 2: Leadership but, Love Look, Jack, jack can you hear? Me? YEAH i can hear. You hear, me my.
Speaker 1: Dog, Look so that's partner's perfect. Segue just so y'all know This Jack.
Speaker 2: Jones THIS i know, him Miss.
Speaker 1: Jack jack been knowing this boy since he was, fourteen seeing go from A i guess a little boy to a young man to a grown man with. CHILDREN i love this boy like you my son for, real like your family. Member, man could you hear the? Conversation that's miss That's Darren. Waller you know who that, is, Right.
Speaker 2: YEAH i know what that.
Speaker 1: Is if you, didn't he would have most your little. Ass jacky out your. Mind let me let me bring you into this conversation about. Leadership what's your take on leadership as far as the best, player the coaching staff wants him to be the leader as supposed to just the locker room determines who the leader, is whether it's the best player or, not or the, quarterback whoever it may.
Speaker 2: BE i think the.
Speaker 4: Leader is based on which we do every day in the. Consistency you know What i'm. Saying you don't get that leader role because you're the best, player because you're in a certain. Position you get that leader role because the work you put in and how you lead the, team and how you get the guys to rally a log and how you get guys fired. Up you, know it's a lot of things to go with. That BUT i don't think it's position position.
Speaker 2: BASE i don't think.
Speaker 1: That all, Right so we're gonna we're gonna talk about, you and we're gonna bring the people into.
Speaker 2: Your.
Speaker 1: Story So i'm gonna let him tell a bit of. It But Jack jack grew up born and Raised Long, Beach. California, yeah google, ahead Google Long beach if y'all not familiar with. It his family is well known in The Lone beach in the city Of Loan. Beach from WHAT i was told back in the, day it's two families that Run Long. Beach Honda jones is in what The. Calhouns that's WHAT i was. Told jones is in The. Calhouns But jack Jack man in high school unbelievable on both sides of the, ball defense and.
Speaker 2: Offense AND i tell people this all the.
Speaker 1: Time And i'm not just saying this because you're, here because you KNOW i wouldn't sugar coat.
Speaker 2: Nothing this, boy when he was a, boy used to.
Speaker 1: Practice SO i never seen a kid in high school practice as hard as. You AND i Think i've told you this's plenty of. Time like we, Said, Jack, jack slow. Down i've never seen a kid this young practice that hard in love football the way that you loved it in high school like it was. It we gotta Tell, god come, on, bro go, Harder, Jack, jack get out the.
Speaker 2: Shrip, no you slow.
Speaker 1: Down he was like that at fourteen years, old genuinely loved. Football he done had some mishaps in the. League AND i get on the phone with him And i'm, Like, jack come on.
Speaker 2: Your.
Speaker 1: SITUATION i believe you one of the best players in the league that's not in the league that should be in the. League because you was in the, league you'd be starting on at least twenty eight of the thirty two. Teams we know That i'm a vouch foring for any team that's listening to. This we don't have conversations heat, conversations but the last three weeks probably just making sure.
Speaker 2: You got your shit. Straight your.
Speaker 1: Father you have matured and we all mature at different rates at different, times and they can't expect you to mature on a. Timeline you're gonna mature on your. Time with that being, said kind of take.
Speaker 2: Us through going From New england to The.
Speaker 1: Raiders you finally get a coach that believed in, you that same coach that was with us At Long, beach probably in Ap Antonio pears and where you are now and what you're look into accomplish moving, FORWARD.
Speaker 2: I, mean just a whole.
Speaker 4: Situation it was a it was a, blessing man humbling.
Speaker 2: Experience you. Know that's ALL i got to, say and.
Speaker 4: That i'm blessed the evering to play with ap you, know a high school, coach a god who over. Me you know pretty much you know a lot of part of a lot of my. Life so you know that's a. BLESSING i don't take that for. Granted but looking, forward, MAN i JUST i just look forward to you, know getting another opportunity and really proving, myself, man just really proving That i've grown And i've learned that the mistakes THAT i made is they already, made you know What i'm. Saying AND i don't want to keep making those, mistakes you know What i'm. SAYING i don't want to be one of those guys looked at it as like a bad kid or a bad, man or somebody who's uncoachable or somebody who who who who doesn't fit in. PROGRAMS i want to be that guy that fits their every. PROGRAM i want to be a story in my. Role like you know What i'm. Saying it's just LIKE i have to go through them times to learn and to. Understand it's LIKE i went through those songs And i'm just ready for the next, opportunity just to prove myself for you, know take full advantage.
Speaker 2: Of, it no. Doubt.
Speaker 3: JACK i want to ask you a question BECAUSE i didn't even for your rookie years twenty.
Speaker 2: Two, right oh, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah SO i was on The raiders in twenty two and you was on The patriots AND i was out of.
Speaker 2: PRACTICE i had an.
Speaker 3: INJURY i remember one day we came into the meeting post practice into an offensive, meeting and everybody was, like, man it's this rookie out there that's that's talking, crazy that's trying to. Kay like you think like there's a lot of vets in the league that are not trying to step to tay and here you are as a rookie like out there training, Camp like what's, like what's up like trying to compete with the best receiver in the.
Speaker 2: League you know What i'm, Saying, like where does that come?
Speaker 3: From like and tell the people like the type of eds that it, takes especially as a corner and somebody that's like really out there shutting shit.
Speaker 2: Down like you can't just be out.
Speaker 3: There, tommy like hoping you could run with, You like you really got to step out there knowing who you are and what you bring to the.
Speaker 2: Table so like is that can that be? Taught is? That do? You are you born with? That like speak to? That?
Speaker 4: UH i MEAN i feel like you built that through through the work you put. In, Man, Honestly like like WHAT tj, SAID i was a guy in high school who played in so much, work SO i just felt like nobody worked harder than. Me you wasn't gonna outwork. ME i feel like EVERYTHING i, DID i was gonna do it. Better you know What i'm saying that if you if you beat me this, rep that was just that.
Speaker 5: Rep i'm anna win the whole battle, through you.
Speaker 2: Know What i'm.
Speaker 4: Saying and so WHEN i the marster THAT i had going up against, say it was just, Like i'm not here to to put my.
Speaker 2: Toe in the. Water you know What i'm. Saying i'm trying to go in head.
Speaker 4: First i'm trying to go in and guard the best receivers week in and week. Out that's What that's WHAT i wanted to, do you know What i'm saying, That AND i believe in my abilities AND i BELIEVE i could do that AND i will do.
Speaker 5: That and WHEN i give my, Opportunity i'm approve.
Speaker 2: That, yeah moving. Forward Jack jones the.
Speaker 1: Person if you're a general, manager you a head, coach why should they feel comfortable signing you on your roster on their roster.
Speaker 2: Feeling like you may be a?
Speaker 1: Liability what would you tell them if they ask you THAT i mean a?
Speaker 2: Liability and which ways do you know off the? Field personal on the.
Speaker 1: FIELD i don't believe anybody has any questions on the, Field Jack jones a.
Speaker 2: Baller to, me everything is off the. FIELD i know your, CHARACTER i know who you.
Speaker 1: ARE i know the environment you grew up, in and that environment is it's me or.
Speaker 2: You i'd rather you than me and deal with the.
Speaker 1: Consequences but as we, mature are that ain't always the right. Way and you've learned that and you're still learning, That, Jack jack the, person not the, player BECAUSE i don't believe there's any question when it pertains to the, player it's the.
Speaker 2: Person i've.
Speaker 5: Grown, Man i'm not that same young MAN i used to.
Speaker 2: Be you know What i'm.
Speaker 4: SAYING i got, KIDS i GOT i got my babies depending on.
Speaker 2: Me you know What i'm.
Speaker 4: SAYING i can't just go out here and make the same mistakes or the same DECISIONS i used to.
Speaker 5: Make when WHEN i was young without, kids.
Speaker 2: You know What i'm.
Speaker 4: Saying SO i just kind of feel like my, babies, man they just they just they weighing on me a lot. More you, Know i'm spending a lot more time with, them and it's just like it just means a lot more to, me you know What i'm. Saying you, KNOW i already love the. Game so just the fact That i'm not on the team AND i can't, say, like, Yes i'm in THE nfl right now currently, today and like it crushes.
Speaker 2: Me it, hurts like you know What i'm, saying BECAUSE i love.
Speaker 5: Ball but but, man it's my.
Speaker 4: Babies, Man i'm a change, man AND i feel like everybody around me can see, that and you just have to get around me to see.
Speaker 2: That, no for, real, shit you, talk you're talking to somebody that.
Speaker 3: Man like where people at one point in time in my career try to define me by my character at a certain place point or take a snapshot of who they thought THAT i. Was but that never that was not the end narrative of my. Story after that there, was it Was Pro. Bowls it was the best years of my. Career, me you know What i'm, saying having A ce on my chest and people like really respectuh WHAT i brought to the table because that who was the true?
Speaker 2: Meat that was the real.
Speaker 3: Meat SO i understand what it's like to go through shit and you, know react in certain ways or whatever it may be in. Life but, man there's still so much of your story that is gonna be. Written, man, like don't even think about this time as like ever being the ending or being or doubting yourself.
Speaker 2: Just because you haven't found a home.
Speaker 3: Yet, Bro like you still got a lot to bring to the, table And god's got a lot more in front of, you, bro.
Speaker 1: For, real, officiated, man, hey in your short, career short, career who's the best receivers that.
Speaker 2: You had to guard? It and who's won by?
Speaker 1: Day, no, no, no, no, no every some good Players and who's one that surprised you, like oh, shit he got some SOYM i didn't think he was like.
Speaker 5: That uh uh that One Quaer Jack.
Speaker 2: Jones that's the only. ONE i ain't gonna lie you know that these boy can keeve. Me i'm keep it, real. Man If i'm really in my, Back i've got nothing to do with seeing. You what receivers have you covered where you like they're?
Speaker 1: Good?
Speaker 2: Yeah, no matter of, fact matter of.
Speaker 4: Fact thinking of that, practice that, practice that rated practice In New. ENGLAND i mean WHEN i was In New, england it WAS i don't even remember his. NAME i just remember he was a number eighty, nine AND i was talking so much stuff to take a lot of that boy came out there and went two for two of.
Speaker 2: Them y'all was so. Sick you, know you know who number eighty nine? Is? Drylin you, know.
Speaker 1: Back in twenty, TWO i think it WAS i want to, say, LIKE i want to Say.
Speaker 5: Cooper maybe it was Like cooper something or Something.
Speaker 2: COOPER i, think, nah That Mario cooper at eight, Nine but that was a while. Ago that was BEFORE i even got.
Speaker 3: There Brian edwards was eighty nine and twenty, one BUT i think he went to The falcons at some.
Speaker 2: POINT i don't. Know oh, no maybe his name Was.
Speaker 5: TONY i Think tony or does that sound?
Speaker 4: RIGHT i don't, Know, bro he was that he was eight for, sure for, sure little.
Speaker 2: Brother sorry, Sorry, bro if you see, This i'm. Sorry. Bro was It keeling? Call it?
Speaker 3: WAS i really Don't King cole was eighty. FOUR i definitely Remember Keiling.
Speaker 2: Cole.
Speaker 1: Boy, YEAH i remember my dog and that's my. Dog oh, man that's one of the coining. Bro yeah, yeah so key, key like, YOU i trained. Guys he was one of the first guys THAT i. Trained when he came. Out you, know he he acting, now he trying to get Into.
Speaker 2: Hollywood he would.
Speaker 3: Be, bro he should be doing some comedy skits bro like he a clown For, yeah.
Speaker 1: So, Jack, okay nobody Gives Jack jones' problems on the field as far as a.
Speaker 2: Receiver give me corners that you.
Speaker 1: Not, say model your game, after but you like to watch to try to pick up little things here and.
Speaker 2: THERE i mean all.
Speaker 4: The guys who they say is top, corners like literally all of, Them Jalen, JOHNSON JayR alexander H Jayalen, ramsey.
Speaker 5: Aj terrell Bo i'm Missing i'm missing somebody else on that.
Speaker 4: List i'll be watching Like patrick's centertaining a. LOT i think that. SAID i watched a little bit Of Darius. Clay I'm i'm a fan of, them BUT i don't, KNOW i just never really tapped in that.
Speaker 5: Much i'm gonna start looking into him a little bit.
Speaker 4: More BUT i just watched all the top guys who they say is the top, guys and you, KNOW i JUST i don't.
Speaker 2: KNOW i just try to be, that be better than. That whatever you want to.
Speaker 1: Say when when you when you look at the situation where here we. Sit june twenty, fourth a lot of training camps begin probably twenty one to twenty seven days.
Speaker 2: Out when that time, Comes Jack. JONES i called him Jack.
Speaker 1: Jackson when you hear me stuttering with, that it's it's because you Know i'm calling him what we called him and not his, Boys Jackie jones by his real. Name if you are not, signed you gotta let it like you're gonna still be working like you are. Signed because my last, season it was a, lockout AND i Wasn't when the lockout, ENDED i want to say it was like either Late august or Early. September was just like last, minute about twenty twelve or two thousand and, eleven whatever it, was AND i was working, out BUT i wasn't really working that.
Speaker 2: Out so THEN.
Speaker 1: I started like trying to work out and rush everything AND i strained my. Calf and THEN i got signed like four days, later.
Speaker 2: Played with a caf.
Speaker 1: THAT i couldn't, Burst LIKE i couldn't really. Run i'd go about eighty, percent BUT i can never get to one. Hundred and they wouldn't tell me. THIS i got coaches telling other players, like, yeah, MAN dj lost a step, literally And i'm, like, bro my cat IS i can't.
Speaker 2: Run and SO i say that to, say whether you are on a team or, not AND i believe you will AND i believe you should.
Speaker 1: Be, boy you better be working like you on the team because when that opportunity, come they don't care if you've been working out. Hard they don't care if OH i didn't THINK i was gonna be. Signed you know the saying you stay, Ready you ain't gotta get, ready.
Speaker 2: Ain't gotta get.
Speaker 1: Ready and so my message to you is stay ready. MENTALLY i know Your pops is on your. Ass i'm on your. Ass, pause but there's no more motivation than them babies you. Got if you don't do it for, nobody you do it for them in, yourself because it's telling like you shouldn't be damn Where i'm gonna. Sign and It's Jack jones the, person Not Jack jones the. Player now we're gonna leave. That, hey what you like to do outside of? FOOTBALL i know you be playing video? Games i'll beat the fuck out you In. MADDEN i know you be PLAYING i will beat the fuck out you In. Madden but outside of, that, hey do you be playing? For do you just play like head to head or you be on? Franchise, SHIT i mean it. Depends i'll be playing all, that, bro you play? Franchise, Yeah i'm gonna add you to some. LEAGUES i, mean you're gonna get your ass, beat all, right for, sure we're gonna see it. Here you you you play video games or you two grown for that once being a booth being on a video GAME i started.
Speaker 3: Making WHEN i started making, MUSIC i just like video, games just kind of just like fell.
Speaker 2: Off, naturally you ain't got no. Art so how often you in the studio for me or? Him you ain't? Rapping, yeah all, right talking to Mister.
Speaker 5: Waller showing up the.
Speaker 2: WAY i gotta change your.
Speaker 1: Stame no you you you look like you rapping with all the jury, on like proget pay something and guys the Slow.
Speaker 2: Nah but, Shit i'll be uh being the. LAB i got my.
Speaker 3: Engineer he lives In, houston and SO i fly him out or either go there for like three four days in a. Row i'll usually like stock up writing some, ship probably like three four songs by the TIME i go see probably like once a, month and then we'll cook up on the spot to get a couple of. Songs and so every time we link, up it's three four songs that's getting. Done and, yeah So i'm not recording every. Day PLUS i think feel, like you know What i'm. SAYING i rap about real life shit That i'm going, through shit That i'm really. Experiencing So i'm, LIKE i feel LIKE i got to have life lived in. BETWEEN i can't just be like carved up in the studio Thinking i'm about write about some real studio in your.
Speaker 1: House, Yeah i'm, In i'm in The i'm in the room right. Now yeah it looks Like that's WHY i asked in the.
Speaker 3: STUDIO i got the acoustics and, SHIP i got the competed modeling center right.
Speaker 4: There you know, how don't play anything else Like jones piano or. Anything i've been playing piano for about a year. NOW i know how to play a lot of. SONGS i really got to learn like theory and shit for. Real But i'm NOT i ain't no real piano. PLAYER i could play some.
Speaker 1: Songs but see he asking you that because all them artists that come up by The Long, beach that's what it. Is it's all kind of hardists because it's a small. City but it's so many people with so much. Talent you know, What, jack how many people don't let me ask you? This AND i just thought about him when we start talking music. Again you grew up playing in A snoop you football?
Speaker 2: League? Yeah how was that?
Speaker 1: Man Because Long beach just sent a lot of dudes to the, league and at least for, Me willie McGinnis was one who always made it and was. Bawling but he was always President. Polly now all season is he coming To?
Speaker 2: Polly he. Retired he was At polly three four days a.
Speaker 1: Week so Between Willie mack And Super how was that plan with The snoop you football team with other guys that now.
Speaker 2: Are now in the. League, yeah, no that that's.
Speaker 4: That's that's where the competitive nature come. From you, know we've been a competing since we was, six, seven eight years, old and it was like real, competitive like we lose, games we crying after want to fight. One you, know they feel like we'd lost the two after a Regular Saturday like you know What i'm, saying so, nah but but shout out To Snoop, Man shout out To willie that they was always there every time they could, be you, know because they got a really busy. Schedule but they definitely helped out a lot of kids And Loan. Beach you know What i'm, saying putting that league in there putting the teams, around and you, know some god's take advantage of.
Speaker 1: It, Yeah so, one we appreciate you joining us main, uh thank.
Speaker 2: You now any of you teams listening the?
Speaker 1: Majority, man y'all got my, number have had the same number twenty five. Years that's how old ARE i? Done had the same number for twenty five? Years, man y'all call. Me i'm gonna get y'all a REAL i ain't gonna now one THING i won't.
Speaker 2: DO i don't.
Speaker 1: LIE i ain't gonna lie for. Him BUT i believe in this, dude because we all have, lessons and we all have, trials and we all have things that we don't.
Speaker 2: Like And darren is a perfect example of.
Speaker 1: That, like had a lot of misfortune early in his life in his, career got a second third. Chance, boom we're good and, you Mister, jack just made a couple bad decisions and they not, like oh my, god what was he?
Speaker 2: Doing?
Speaker 1: Passionate sometimes that passion works for us and sometimes it works against. Us we gotta channel that the right. Way so if y'all don't believe he can do, It i'm vouching for. Him he can do it Because i'm gonna, be LIKE i said, earlier on his ass like back.
Speaker 2: Pockets oh you're too good of a player to not be playing On.
Speaker 1: Sunday but always, remember, man the league don't give a fuck if you plan or you ain't. Playing you either gone roll with him or you're gonna get your ass rolled. Over so just make sure you doing you holding up your end of the, market stay out of, trouble take care of your, babies take care of, yourself take care of your.
Speaker 2: Family and, uh let these teams know they can trust. You, noah for. Sure.
Speaker 5: MAN i appreciate, You, MAN i appreciate.
Speaker 1: You all hoving good, Man lady, dog you need, something all let me name let you.
Speaker 2: Too all right, there he's bro
Speaker 1: The volume